Assembla

SVN continues to be the repository of choice for software teams managing projects with massive amounts of data. For over 10 years, companies all over the world trust Assembla to host their SVN repositories in a secure, high performing cloud environment.

Work for Assembla?

Showing 55 Assembla reviews
Assembla review by <span>Joanna C.</span>
Joanna C.

Assembla: Solid Issue Tracking Platform

What do you like best?

I like Assembla for many reasons but largely because of its no non-sense, simple interface. All the required fields are there to manage the data we need tracked on a given bug, but it doesn't look cluttered or excessively flashy. It is easy to create saved queries to keep tabs on certain kinds of issues all in one place. The commenting system is robust and very user-friendly and allows me to auto-track a ticket that I created and thereby get email updates when team members comment on it or change its status or sprint number. I also especially like the way the UI handles photos/screenshots, which are crucial to properly documenting an issue with our software.

What do you dislike?

One of the main things that annoys me about Assembla is that I cannot click a "next" button on a ticket to go to the next numbered ticket numerically. Periodically, I will log into the system to look at what new tickets have been opened and once I start back from the last ticket I reviewed, there is no easy way for me to browse forward. Because I primarily use this system for ticketing, the main page UI can look a bit cluttered with things that the team needs but I don't need access to view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use this system if you need to track software issues and manage a development schedule.

We are able to track and manage all the bugs we experience with Assembla in a streamlined manner. Not only do we get to track them, but our development team can easily categorize and prioritize them to meet their goals for release schedule.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Assembla
Assembla review by <span>Paul P.</span>
Paul P.

Recent change in ownership changes everything

What do you like best?

UPDATE: March 2017: Assembla has a new management team, and has significantly changed their model. When I wrote my original review, Assembla was reasonably priced for small teams or occasional users. That is not the case anymore. Their cheapest option is $75 per month, which drives the occasional user totally out of the market. I am no longer an Assembla customer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have only been using Assembla for a couple of months, but it has been a breath of fresh air compared to the tools I was previously using.

There are two ways you can use Assembla, and I'll try to point out the differences here, because I think they are very important to new users. First, you can use Assembla as a free tool for cloud-hosted source control. You can have an unlimited number of GIT, Perforce, or SVN repositories, grouped into an unlimited number of "Spaces" with an unlimited number of named users that have access to a specific "Space." The limit here is that you can only host up to 500 MB of content combined across all your spaces and projects.

The second way, is to use Assembla as a paid tool for product management. This option includes some great project management tools, as well as some of the features of cloud-hosted source control, but has some strange limitations. For example, if you are a paying customer, you now have a limit to the number of spaces and users that you can connect to your system. Free users have unlimited spaces and users, but paid users have a limit, based on how much they pay. Granted, the storage space is larger for paid users, but the limits on paid users and spaces is bizarre, when you provide unlimited options to your non-paying customers.

As a cloud source control repository, Assembla is awesome. I love it. It is easy to set up, easy to manage, easy to connect to, and easy for my clients and co-workers to use.

As a paid member, the project management tools are excellent. The card wall is easy to use and easy for people to understand. The ability to link to specific tickets when you commit from source control is amazing, and one of my very favorite features of Assembla.

What do you dislike?

I hate (and I mean that in the nicest way), but I HATE that as a paid subscriber I have fewer options available to me for spaces and users than your free customers do. That just boggles my mind. I want to recommend Assembla to people in my field (as I'm a consultant in my industry), but I can't get over how you limit your paying customers in ways that you don't limit your fee users.

UPDATE March 2017: Assembla resolved this concern by removing free accounts and raising the prices on paid accounts (from what I can tell). I can't find any options on their website anymore for free accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may need two accounts: one free account for working with SVN repositories only (so you can have an unlimited number of spaces), and one paid account for working with project management tools. I wish I didn't have to recommend this, but Assembla's insane policy on providing paying members with fewer features (specifically in number of spaces and users) makes this the option I've had to resort to.

As a consultant, I'm working with several different companies at the same time, trying to keep all my projects up to date, and managing communication with my clients. Assembla makes it easy for everybody to stay connected, to understand the current status of the project, and to contribute in meaningful, easy ways.

What Version Control Hosting solution do you use?

Assembla review by <span>Dan O.</span>
Dan O.

Programming Project Management Super-seeded By Atlassian

What do you like best?

Reliable. I've just Assembla for the best part of 10 years and I've never had any serious issues.

Assembla is a great way one stop shop for managing a programming team: I've used it as a code repository, for buildsheets and notes in a wiki and ticket management.

What do you dislike?

Recently Assembla has been taken over, the prices have risen sharply and there has been no substantial improvement in functionality. Dollar for dollar, you're probably better of using the Atlassian stack now even with their price increases too! The backups produced can not be restored with the interface to stop you from stopping/starting your membership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously consider JIRA and bitbucket

Management of programmers and projects.

Assembla review by <span>Jordan W.</span>
Jordan W.

Very organized, practical, and feature-rich

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily upload videos/screenshots, I also like that it supports multiple repositories.

What do you dislike?

I dislike managing and linking tickets, also I don't like when I remove a comment it shows that I removed a comment in the ticket, I wish it would just delete it and not say anything

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using the wiki as much as you can for miscellaneous information about the project, like READMe's, usernames/passwords, and contact information for your client/developers.

It helps me convey to the developers what bugs are being presented in the software easily and I realize being able to assign tickets back to the developer keeps them organized.

Assembla review by <span>Steffany W.</span>
Steffany W.

Easy to track, easy to use

What do you like best?

The best features for me are the Cardwall (I manage a support team and this allows me to track the reports they send to the developers), and deployment tools that are easy for a non-developer to deploy various functions, such as restarting servers when necessary.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite part is that it is a little clunky when you're first setting up different filtered views. It's not very self explanatory, but you can get through it on your own. They've made it easier over the years, so I see this functionality being developed further.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take a look. I've used only a handful of other project management and ticketing tools and this one is by far the easiest to learn and customize.

We rely heavily on Assembla to streamline our support. It helps me know what our highest priorities are at a glance, what open tickets we still need to focus on, who submitted which tickets, and which developers are responsible for the fix. Everything is logged so I can make quick decisions on who to contact for what, update customers as needed, and work with our team to ensure we resolve our technical issues in a timely manner.

Assembla review by <span>Greg G.</span>
Greg G.

A flexible tool that helped our shop organize and communicate

What do you like best?

When I used Assembla frequently, it was a much older version. As a DBA, I was able to "email" a ticket in for various schedule jobs that failed so that there was greater visibility of at-risk SQL tasks to the team. I also liked that it was web-based and I could check the status of my projects and tickets without having to be tied to my desk. If given the chance, I'd check out Assembla again to see how it's grown since I last used it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it in over 5 years, so any complaints about general bugginess have most likely been resolved by now. At times it felt a little too ambitious like it was trying to solve too many business needs such that some features went unused for us. But looking back on it, our shop probably wasn't mature enough to require everything it had to offer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I were in the market for project management and team collaboration software, I would take Assembla up on their trial offer. I remember it being a pretty solid piece of software.

In a small shop, it was easy to simply send an email to someone to ask for some sort of action. However, if that email was missed, then a critical task could get missed. This gave the team visibility of what we were working on and allowed us to multi-task a little better. It also allowed us to see how much time we were spending on any given project. In addition we gained insight into situations such as tasks that were expected to be 5 hours turning into 50 hours.

Learning about Assembla?

* We monitor all Assembla reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.