Assembla

4.0

SVN continues to be the repository of choice for software teams managing projects with massive amounts of data. For over 10 years, companies all over the world trust Assembla to host their SVN repositories in a secure, high performing cloud environment.

Work for Assembla?

Learning about Assembla?

Assembla Reviews

Ask Assembla a Question
Showing 55 Assembla reviews
Assembla review by Joanna C.
Joanna C.

"Assembla: Solid Issue Tracking Platform"

What do you like best?

I like Assembla for many reasons but largely because of its no non-sense, simple interface. All the required fields are there to manage the data we need tracked on a given bug, but it doesn't look cluttered or excessively flashy. It is easy to create saved queries to keep tabs on certain kinds of issues all in one place. The commenting system is robust and very user-friendly and allows me to auto-track a ticket that I created and thereby get email updates when team members comment on it or change its status or sprint number. I also especially like the way the UI handles photos/screenshots, which are crucial to properly documenting an issue with our software.

What do you dislike?

One of the main things that annoys me about Assembla is that I cannot click a "next" button on a ticket to go to the next numbered ticket numerically. Periodically, I will log into the system to look at what new tickets have been opened and once I start back from the last ticket I reviewed, there is no easy way for me to browse forward. Because I primarily use this system for ticketing, the main page UI can look a bit cluttered with things that the team needs but I don't need access to view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use this system if you need to track software issues and manage a development schedule.

We are able to track and manage all the bugs we experience with Assembla in a streamlined manner. Not only do we get to track them, but our development team can easily categorize and prioritize them to meet their goals for release schedule.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Assembla
Assembla review by Paul P.
Paul P.

"Recent change in ownership changes everything"

What do you like best?

UPDATE: March 2017: Assembla has a new management team, and has significantly changed their model. When I wrote my original review, Assembla was reasonably priced for small teams or occasional users. That is not the case anymore. Their cheapest option is $75 per month, which drives the occasional user totally out of the market. I am no longer an Assembla customer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have only been using Assembla for a couple of months, but it has been a breath of fresh air compared to the tools I was previously using.

There are two ways you can use Assembla, and I'll try to point out the differences here, because I think they are very important to new users. First, you can use Assembla as a free tool for cloud-hosted source control. You can have an unlimited number of GIT, Perforce, or SVN repositories, grouped into an unlimited number of "Spaces" with an unlimited number of named users that have access to a specific "Space." The limit here is that you can only host up to 500 MB of content combined across all your spaces and projects.

The second way, is to use Assembla as a paid tool for product management. This option includes some great project management tools, as well as some of the features of cloud-hosted source control, but has some strange limitations. For example, if you are a paying customer, you now have a limit to the number of spaces and users that you can connect to your system. Free users have unlimited spaces and users, but paid users have a limit, based on how much they pay. Granted, the storage space is larger for paid users, but the limits on paid users and spaces is bizarre, when you provide unlimited options to your non-paying customers.

As a cloud source control repository, Assembla is awesome. I love it. It is easy to set up, easy to manage, easy to connect to, and easy for my clients and co-workers to use.

As a paid member, the project management tools are excellent. The card wall is easy to use and easy for people to understand. The ability to link to specific tickets when you commit from source control is amazing, and one of my very favorite features of Assembla.

What do you dislike?

I hate (and I mean that in the nicest way), but I HATE that as a paid subscriber I have fewer options available to me for spaces and users than your free customers do. That just boggles my mind. I want to recommend Assembla to people in my field (as I'm a consultant in my industry), but I can't get over how you limit your paying customers in ways that you don't limit your fee users.

UPDATE March 2017: Assembla resolved this concern by removing free accounts and raising the prices on paid accounts (from what I can tell). I can't find any options on their website anymore for free accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may need two accounts: one free account for working with SVN repositories only (so you can have an unlimited number of spaces), and one paid account for working with project management tools. I wish I didn't have to recommend this, but Assembla's insane policy on providing paying members with fewer features (specifically in number of spaces and users) makes this the option I've had to resort to.

As a consultant, I'm working with several different companies at the same time, trying to keep all my projects up to date, and managing communication with my clients. Assembla makes it easy for everybody to stay connected, to understand the current status of the project, and to contribute in meaningful, easy ways.

What Version Control Hosting solution do you use?

Assembla review by Dan O.
Dan O.

"Programming Project Management Super-seeded By Atlassian "

What do you like best?

Reliable. I've just Assembla for the best part of 10 years and I've never had any serious issues.

Assembla is a great way one stop shop for managing a programming team: I've used it as a code repository, for buildsheets and notes in a wiki and ticket management.

What do you dislike?

Recently Assembla has been taken over, the prices have risen sharply and there has been no substantial improvement in functionality. Dollar for dollar, you're probably better of using the Atlassian stack now even with their price increases too! The backups produced can not be restored with the interface to stop you from stopping/starting your membership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously consider JIRA and bitbucket

Management of programmers and projects.

Assembla review by Jordan W.
Jordan W.

"Very organized, practical, and feature-rich"

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily upload videos/screenshots, I also like that it supports multiple repositories.

What do you dislike?

I dislike managing and linking tickets, also I don't like when I remove a comment it shows that I removed a comment in the ticket, I wish it would just delete it and not say anything

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using the wiki as much as you can for miscellaneous information about the project, like READMe's, usernames/passwords, and contact information for your client/developers.

It helps me convey to the developers what bugs are being presented in the software easily and I realize being able to assign tickets back to the developer keeps them organized.

Assembla review by Steffany W.
Steffany W.

"Easy to track, easy to use"

What do you like best?

The best features for me are the Cardwall (I manage a support team and this allows me to track the reports they send to the developers), and deployment tools that are easy for a non-developer to deploy various functions, such as restarting servers when necessary.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite part is that it is a little clunky when you're first setting up different filtered views. It's not very self explanatory, but you can get through it on your own. They've made it easier over the years, so I see this functionality being developed further.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take a look. I've used only a handful of other project management and ticketing tools and this one is by far the easiest to learn and customize.

We rely heavily on Assembla to streamline our support. It helps me know what our highest priorities are at a glance, what open tickets we still need to focus on, who submitted which tickets, and which developers are responsible for the fix. Everything is logged so I can make quick decisions on who to contact for what, update customers as needed, and work with our team to ensure we resolve our technical issues in a timely manner.

Assembla review by Greg G.
Greg G.

"A flexible tool that helped our shop organize and communicate"

What do you like best?

When I used Assembla frequently, it was a much older version. As a DBA, I was able to "email" a ticket in for various schedule jobs that failed so that there was greater visibility of at-risk SQL tasks to the team. I also liked that it was web-based and I could check the status of my projects and tickets without having to be tied to my desk. If given the chance, I'd check out Assembla again to see how it's grown since I last used it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it in over 5 years, so any complaints about general bugginess have most likely been resolved by now. At times it felt a little too ambitious like it was trying to solve too many business needs such that some features went unused for us. But looking back on it, our shop probably wasn't mature enough to require everything it had to offer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I were in the market for project management and team collaboration software, I would take Assembla up on their trial offer. I remember it being a pretty solid piece of software.

In a small shop, it was easy to simply send an email to someone to ask for some sort of action. However, if that email was missed, then a critical task could get missed. This gave the team visibility of what we were working on and allowed us to multi-task a little better. It also allowed us to see how much time we were spending on any given project. In addition we gained insight into situations such as tasks that were expected to be 5 hours turning into 50 hours.

Assembla review by Wendy H.
Wendy H.

"Project Management Simplified "

What do you like best?

Assembla revolutionized how we did business with a CRM vendor. We were able to log tickets, track them and add resolution to them versus doing the same tasks via email. Prior to Assembla it was confusing to figure out where we left off on a task and sometimes it would be difficult to progress to the next step because we were taking a step back to review prior emails.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I disliked about the product. For our purposes it accomplished what we needed it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great interface, easy to use.

We save immense amounts of time using Assembla and were also able to share information, task details and resolutions with co workers and with our external team. I was able to go in and review all pending tickets as well to make sure no duplicates were entered.

Assembla review by Ben I.
Ben I.

"Assembla changed the way that our team works"

What do you like best?

Integration between tickets, git commits and documentation in the wiki. I love that developers and clients can log into the same system and see the current state of the project. Complete transparency.

What do you dislike?

I have been disappointed with the level of customization on client facing sections of the projects. I would like to be able to have more control over what my clients see.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Assembla pulls all of the critical parts of a development workflow together into one place. Some parts are a bit rough (for example, time estimates and reporting needs work) - Nevertheless, Assembla makes development much easier than it was before. Everything from source control to peer reviews and project documentation is tightly integrated. Full transparency is an easy thing to manage with clients as we simply add them as project team members with read only access.

I highly recommend using Assembla to all development teams.

We have integrated a distributed development team. Assembla has allowed us to have a single place for developers, clients, project managers and QA staff to collaborate.

Assembla review by Divyamol J.
Divyamol J.

"Best competitor in Agile project management"

What do you like best?

Assembla is best for Project management and Task management. It's Issue tracking system is very feasible and user friendly. We can customize projects based on our needs. Coming to Agile, Scrum methodology can be very well managed with Assembla. A stable and perfect project needs the version control integration, in Assembla it also managed very well. Reporting is the other major highlight of using Assembla. Team members can see each task updates and track other developer's task updates and their dependency check any time.

What do you dislike?

Need to concentrate on mobile platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a beginner then you can easily learn Assembla unlike other software products in this category. Also, you will like the issue tracking system because it is more user friendly and less complex. Also the service team in Assembla is great. If you are a professional, then you can feel the easiness in project management after using Assembla. It doesn't matter if you are technically strong or not for using Assembla.

Project management and Issue tracking are the major things when considering in a mobile or web development application. For that purpose, Agile project management software plays an important role. All these things are easily done with Assembla. Codereview in Assembla is good. Any good software application relies on good and reviewed code. In case of git version control, you can not push directly in to protected branch. These things are very well maintained in Assembla.

Assembla review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Great ticketing system for ticketing overview"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to navigate the system and look up older tickets. I use the Assembla to report bug to R&D and tracking the status and communicating with R&D works great and Assembla allows me to keep a good information flow to R&D which is located in another continent and 9+ hrs time difference. Being able to customize the notification, you are able to stay on top of your issues and lets you know if you need to respond to any of your tickets.

What do you dislike?

Filtering in the KanBan view is often confusing and navigating to my space is often confusing as well. I often loose oversight of tickets due to filtering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prominent when setting up spaces and make sure to align the standards of reporting for all the spaces.

Reporting software bug to R&D and monitoring the process. Assembla allows us to keep track on each ticket and make sure that it is taken care of in timely fashion. It is very hard to "loose" a ticket in Assembla which is very important for us in order to deliver quality product and service to our clients.

Assembla review by Nathan S.
Nathan S.

"Good platform"

What do you like best?

The ability to set up milestones and the daily commit log are really useful for development teams. It is a nice version control and project management platform and never had any issues with the platform. Used on a daily basis at my last job working on a custom software application used in manufacturing. Has integration that are useful for issue tracking and bug reports.

What do you dislike?

User interface is kind of clunky and could use some improvement, otherwise it is a great product and I enjoyed using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product for managing dev teams and code review.

Developer communication and issue tracking Peer Review. Version Control

Assembla review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Combined Version Control and Project Management Tools, Great for Distributed Teams"

What do you like best?

Assembla is a nicely integrated site, including version control, issue tracking, general messaging, and private and public wiki spaces. We initially looked at it because they were the official repository server for Perforce, a commercial version control tool. We ended up using it with subversion instead, and it has some nice tools for viewing repositories, changes, versions, in a web page.

What do you dislike?

I ended up not using their issue tracking system, just because I like my Trello lists better. I think they've updated it to be slicker now, but I am still using Trello. The Android app also seemed to be an afterthought, especially compared to Trello.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can't self-host a subversion+redmine installation, or don't want to hassle with admin, Assembla is worth a try.

It is good for issue tracking, and distributed team collaboration. They used to have a free account up to 3 users, so you could test drive it before jumping in, but I don't think they have it anymore.

Assembla review by Mikal S.
Mikal S.

"Assembla is Great!"

What do you like best?

Assembla allows me to manage all of my repos and bug tracking in one easy location. I can manage bugs and track progress towards milestones. The price is also very competitive with other services.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they change the interface and I need to relearn where things are. Also, some items I use frequently are stick behind multiple click menus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an easy to manage site for all-in-one software development tools.

How to manage SVN and bug tracking.

Assembla review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Best for Project Management with Agile Methodology"

What do you like best?

Now a days it is very challenging to handle the project using Agile methodology, ie, SCRUM, Sprint etc. Assembla took that challenge and implemented it more likely for both project managers and developers. Very vibrant UI and usability approach helped this tool to make a mark on the other project management tools. They support both subversion and git repositories. Ticket tracking system is catchy. Mainly the Dependency Report, which is very helpful. Wiki is the another thing which is to be noted. You can keep the project management documentation in wiki and can refer whenever you need or can share with the team.

What do you dislike?

Implement new concept and ideas and improve speed and performance. New interface is good, but sometimes it is too heavy. Mainly concentrate on usability and performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a better Agile based ticket tracking system then Assembla is the best option in today's world. Unlike other heavy project management tools, beginners can easily learn the tool and eventually develop their skills in Project management and ticket tracking, updating system, which is probably the best challenge in development.

Task management, bug tracking are the major things. Adaptation of Agile Methodology and implementation with usability are the main benefits.

Assembla review by Sergio P.
Sergio P.

"Assembla is great for project management for software projects"

What do you like best?

It is simple to use, and has the basic features that are needed to manage any software project (group tasks, custom fields, priorities).

What do you dislike?

It keeps track of very change, so sometimes the change management gets in the way of a simple flow.

We use Assembla to manage the development of an ERP software package.

Assembla review by Lori K.
Lori K.

"Assembla, interesting but could use some work"

What do you like best?

The cardwall and milestones are easier to immediately set up than other tools. I like being able to invite clients into our team groups for reviewing tickets. And having it SAAS, I can be anywhere to login and work.

What do you dislike?

The lack of cross project tools is painful. I am having to work with a friend to develop our own tools interacting with your APIs to determine hour allocation for projects, developers, qa, across all projects with a usage of hours determined as tickets complete. The generated reports are also not configurable which is also painful. We are having to run filtered CSV exports from the ticket views then run a report and use excel to mash them together for any breadth of insight, per week, per 15 projects. Let me tell you, that is painful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While this is not the powerhouse of Jira or Target Process, it takes far less ramp up time to get started and work. The integration with Git repos is fantastic. Associating tickets to work, cardwalls for milestones, and management of teams with a wiki for further info are all great out of the box features. While I am still digging into the features, expanding our usage of the tools, I am confident this software can help any dev team striving for ease of process and adoption for their engineering teams.

Hour allocation per dev per client project. Milestone releases for agile process. Better process and automation.

Assembla review by User in Computer Software

"Assembla as a ticketing system"

What do you like best?

Convenient web interface for managing tickets and team workflow.

Easy to customize (custom fields)

Good integration with email.

What do you dislike?

Never used the version control features.

While there are project / sprint management features available, team never warmed to them and never actively used them.

General search capability over the ticket database could be better.

Ticket and workflow management. Good tracking of work.

Integration with version control (GIT) so that activity in GIT is logged to the tickets using webhooks.

Knowledge management (Wiki)

Assembla review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Long Time Fan"

What do you like best?

Ease of use - everyone in the company regardless of background, position or technical knowledge has been able to quickly pick it up and use for a variety of tasks.

What do you dislike?

There new features and UI's don't always work as well as you would think. It seems like they might be making it more complicated for users to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the perfect software in environments where not all users are technical. From support staff to sales and sponsors for projects - people who have not used this before quickly pick it up and are interacting within days without spending a lot of time on it.

Tracking project items and issues internally as well as externally with clients.

Assembla review by Zach S.
Zach S.

"Great for large projects, harder to manage for smaller teams."

What do you like best?

Assembla is a very, very robust project management software, replete with a number of features that reward those with a diligent work ethic. This is especially true for SCRUM-based projects or organizations.

If you are working on a large-scale or long term project, it would be hard to go wrong with Assembla given its vast feature set.

What do you dislike?

Assembla's UI can be a bit clunky and it is over-reliant on email notifications. There is a happy medium between Asana, Assembla, and Trello, but I feel like Assembla could benefit the most from an updated UI and UX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are working with a smaller team, stick to Trello, Todoist, and Drive. If on a larger project, use Assembla to bolster the resources you have available and keep your project on track.

I have not used Assembla in about six months, but my time with the project was enjoyable.

Assembla has helped myself and multiple teams go from conception to completion on a couple of game projects. The built-in task management, easy-to-understand timelines, and integration with major web services allowed us to effectively communicate our workflow.

Assembla review by Martin V.
Martin V.

"A service as I need"

What do you like best?

It's always working, the server never is down and the response is fast

What do you dislike?

Have an API for integration with our tools

Cowork

I have programmers at far locations and we all work together perfectly

Assembla review by Kimberly Y. M.
Kimberly Y. M.

"Assembla has been a good tool for us. "

What do you like best?

I'm a non technical founder and tools are very important for me to understand and manage our technology platform. Our CTO and developer both thought this tool would be good for our team.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. The platform is working well for us.

Storage for our code.

Assembla review by Rebecca L.
Rebecca L.

"Great for Agile"

What do you like best?

Tickets can be assigned to other team members and the knowledge base is searchable.

What do you dislike?

Takes some training for users to get comfortable with the process. We did implement agile at the same time so it was a big change for our users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes it easy for us to assign resources and manage our agile processes.

Assigning programming resources across our enterprise.

Assembla review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Some issues but overall works for the most part"

What do you like best?

Assembla is very simple and easy to use. The interface is laid out in a clear way and not very cluttered.

What do you dislike?

When posting a bug with a file attached, there is a lot of lag and no indication that the bug is posting or the page is loading. I find myself clicking the button to submit the bug multiple times because I am unsure if the request went through.

Also, I don't feel like it is as easy to search for old bugs on Assembla as it is on some other similar bug tracking software like JIRA.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Assembla is simple and easy to use, and if you do not need many elaborate features, this could be a good bug tracking software to use.

I use Assembla for bug tracking in a mobile game. It allows us to quickly and easily report bugs to the developers.

Assembla review by Laurel P.
Laurel P.

"Assembla"

What do you like best?

I like the visual flexibility of Assembla. Whether you have teams that are strictly following Scrum/Agile processes or just want a better, more visual way to track their progress, Assembla makes it easy. The email alerts about ticket updates are so super helpful for me, personally, but I know co-workers here who like the fact that you can also turn those off ;)

What do you dislike?

Even though I said I like the visual flexibility of Assembla, I do wish there was a little bit more flexibility or ability to customize some of the drop downs when creating the set up for a ticket

We have lots of internal tools that need maintenance due to the nature of the data we use, and Assembla makes it easy for people to submit maintenance requests, feature requests, and bugs, and also makes it easy for our Product Owners and Developers to see what's priority and what everyone is working on.

"Good"

What do you like best?

It provides burn down charts ,helps us know the velocity of the dev team.It is also used to track bugs and stories.It is easy to use

What do you dislike?

I didn't face any such problem with the product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease to Use

With Assembla we create Tickets for Sprints we generate the burn down charts .We assign ticket and we get mail.

Assembla review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Excellent Tool for Collaboration"

What do you like best?

Ticketing System in combination with SVN. Since we began to us it, we never hat in mind to change to another solution.

What do you dislike?

When using other collaboration tools, there is sometimes sto connect to a ticketing system. jira always in that list, assembla never

We manage our development process with assembla. This means communication, development and testing

Assembla review by Executive Sponsor in Hospital & Health Care
Executive Sponsor in Hospital & Health Care

"Awesome solution"

What do you like best?

Comprehensive solution that spaces source control, bug tracking and wiki. A one-stop solution that always works and is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I think the wiki editor is better than it used to be but that was the one thing that was a bit limited before. The team/user functionality is a bit wonky (i.e. awkward to add users sometimes who didn't have Assembla accounts previously -- sometimes it just doesn't seem to work)

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great solution. Simple to get started and lots of support for building additional stuff.

source control

feature/bug tracking

corporate wiki

code review

Assembla review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Bug tracking software that's easy to use"

What do you like best?

I'm not a developer so I don't use some of the more advanced features but what I like about Assembla is the easy to use interface, an integrated Wiki and and their Cardwall functionality that lets you keep track of bugs more easily for project management.

What do you dislike?

We use both JIRA and Assembla and some key features missing in Assembla is the ability to integrate with HipChat so that you can reference discussions in tickets. Also missing are release versions with a list of tickets that are part of the release cycle.

Ticket tracking across many different platforms (bug tracking, instant messaging)

Assembla review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Assembla Makes Organization Easier"

What do you like best?

Assembla makes organizing and displaying a long list of client information to a large group of people very easy. It helps keep track of tasks related to clients and helps establish easy communication between team members about a certain client.

What do you dislike?

One thing that gets confusing is the amount of information in the feed because it displays every update made. While it's good to be able to keep track of these, important information can get lost between updates.

After migrating lists that were held in another database it became obvious that this platform is much more efficient, holds more information, and makes completing tasks much easier.

Assembla review by Eleni C.
Eleni C.

"User as a project manager"

What do you like best?

I like Cardwall, Filters, use of @username, Console integration, configure email notifications (eg. digested).

What do you dislike?

Bugs like not able to assign ticket to people that nonetheless were participants in the project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Apart from the bug reporting I like the Cardwall (kanban tool).

We communicate with the client through the platform. Set priorities and resolve issues.

Assembla review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Confusing interface "

What do you like best?

I like the ability to search for anything within assembla and the ease to do so

What do you dislike?

The interface upon logging in and if there are a lot of tickets can get very confusing. The filter option is used all the time.

Ticket creation and tracking

Assembla review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"Assembla"

What do you like best?

Built in burn downs & email notifications.

What do you dislike?

Wasn't really sure if it would scale up well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an alternative to JIRA or Hansoft, I'd highly recommend Assembla for the instantaneous email notifications and build in burn down charts. It's incredibly easy to make filters for your team and user friendly. It didn't take me nearly as long to get on-boarded with Assembla as it has with other software.

Daily emails helped me stay on top of the team's tasks and I was more quickly able to assess and correct when needed.

Assembla review by Administrator in Information Services
Administrator in Information Services

"Our lifeline to projects!"

What do you like best?

The option to work into detail in large projects with many people.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to edit team members from each team. Unclear how to store and file away projects when they are idle. I'd like to be able to inactivate projects but not delete them or getting a file of all the info that I possibly could add again if I want to start it again by importing. I dont like the payment model.

Big teams handles detailed problems.

Assembla review by John G. M.
John G. M.

"Great product in the Beginning..."

What do you like best?

The ticketing feature was awesome. I liked the way it worked and looked.

What do you dislike?

Share code and content in Assembla was horrible. Even though I don't "really" like Github, I have a paid Github account. Everyone uses Github and it is cheap ($7/mo), while Assembla was three times as much and rising.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hire me to build better training. Make the product move visual. Find a way to make it better (yet integrate with) Github. Hit me up @ https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-g-moore/a/15/a4b

Also, the submit review button should be on the right side of the previous button. I had to "hunt" for the submit review link to even send this survey.

I an eLearning consultant, web developer and creative director.

Assembla review by G2 Crowd User in Internet
G2 Crowd User in Internet

"Great project management tool but could be improved"

What do you like best?

It is a great project management tool which offers an exhaustive set of features. It is easy to understand and use and helps in client management, e.g. the client invitation system where the team members can review the tickets.

What do you dislike?

There are places where the software lacks in customizability. I couldn't customize the drop down menu for tickets, and similarly Assembla also has a fixed report system which is not much customizable.

Assembla review by Karlo K.
Karlo K.

"Great for managing and reporting bugs"

What do you like best?

having everything on one place and having everything under control

What do you dislike?

this is a pro tool, not so easy to use, if you are not a every day user it's not so easy to find something

Tracking bugs, fixes, new releases, managing site updates and time frames for some projects

Assembla review by Grey P.
Grey P.

"Assembla"

What do you like best?

Super good as it provides collaborative tools and bug tracking and cloud-based organizing and managing projects for commercial and open source software development tasks

What do you dislike?

everything is excellent in this tool .. nothing disgusts me

Recommendations to others considering the product

100 % recommended for all those seeking to improve efficiency and speed in an app

many unresolved problems , and that encases or encompasses everything about open source .

"Integration Product Manager"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a Wiki. That is actually something we dont get in Jira. We use both Assembla and Jira right now.

What do you dislike?

Sections are not as detailed as in Jira.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Streamline a bit more like Jira.

We are Agile, move quickly, and need a central place for all outstanding and upcoming items to test and develop.

Assembla review by User in Nanotechnology
User in Nanotechnology

"Great basic online source repo"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to setup new users to be able to access the repository.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any dislikes about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great online source repo for a small dev team to use.

Sharing a code-base with a team spread-out over different physical locations. Also we don't really have IT so didn't need to worry about setting up a server that gets backed up.

Assembla review by Executive Sponsor in Commercial Real Estate
Executive Sponsor in Commercial Real Estate

"Ease of Use"

What do you like best?

The ability to pull all team members together on a single project

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that displeases me about Assembla.

We use Assembla for global team to collaborate on our software development

Assembla review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Dedicated user for 5+ years"

What do you like best?

Great for managing agile software projects in a team environment. Easy to learn and a powerful competitor to Jira.

What do you dislike?

Could get expensive for the portfolio edition, so we therefore don't use that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great alternative to Jira, and better than any standalone git repository tool.

Managing software development for teams in an agile environment.

"Good productivity tool"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the ability to collaborate and track progress across different teams. And the notification capability is great to alert users to take action

What do you dislike?

haven't been able to find version control yet. Notification onsite seems lacking.

Cross-collaboration is the key benefit. Tracking and documentation is key too

Assembla review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Online at ease"

What do you like best?

love how easy it is to work online with others with this!

What do you dislike?

would like to see a longer trial period since the start-up is somewhat tedious to begin with

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

trying to bridge the gap of working more easily with other applications

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that we can create Stories and Bugs and also fill StandUp meetings in Assembla.It is also user friendly

What do you dislike?

It does not have feature of logging the task done by developer and comparing it with original estimate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good go for it

We create user stories,tasks and bugs in Assembla and the UI is simple easy to understand.

Assembla review by Consultant in Design
Consultant in Design

"Great tool for Agile projects"

What do you like best?

Assembla really gives me the flexibility to manage and Agile project and adapt to change quickly. I also am fond of the ability to create custom filtered views so I can see the project in a way that best suits my needs. I also like the reporting that comes along with it which allows me to easily share project status with a team members and stake holders alike.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to see a point assignment game feature added so that all my agile needs can be done in one location. Right now we use an external website for point assignment. I'd also like the wiki to allow file attachments.

Planning, communication, documentation

Assembla review by G2 Crowd User in Real Estate
G2 Crowd User in Real Estate

"Truly inspired"

What do you like best?

It took a lot of things and helped us track them all at once

What do you dislike?

it was a little difficult to learn and interface was sometimes hard to follow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth trying

It helps with task management mostly

Assembla review by Sadeep N.
Sadeep N.

"Two years of my experience using Assembla tool"

What do you like best?

I like the feature that allows me delegating tasks across my developers and testers. Also I trace where are my developers standing on their tasks.

What do you dislike?

User interface needs to be more user friendly and needs more dynamic graphical way of seen features in the tool.

Automated Self scheduling system development and time and attendance system development.

Assembla review by User in Financial Services

"Convinient and simple to use"

What do you like best?

Assembla is very simple tool to use. It has great features to share and discuss as much details as possiblewith various team members.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot to dislike about this tool. I actually liked using Assembla, and cannot think of anything that I would change.

The company provides a learning management software to its clients. Assembla helped collaborate on various software issues and problems.

Assembla review by Ryan J.
Ryan J.

"Gets the Job Done"

What do you like best?

Ticketing system and code check in system get the job done. I've submitted requests to fix the CSS a button before and they responded quickly.

What do you dislike?

Occasional caching issues where the page requires a shift-refresh to get ticket to update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Assembla is an excellent solution for an in-house development where you don't want the code to be public. Github may be more appropriate for a public project where contributions are welcome.

Solved problem of tracking tickets.

Assembla review by Administrator

"Very easy to setup and get started"

What do you like best?

Assembla is pretty easy to setup and get going, I can start working in hours.

What do you dislike?

I cannot customize workflows, have different permission sets on tickets based on their status

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your team size is small and the product does not need too much overheads, this is for you.

We develop software products for enterpreuners

Assembla review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Excelent SVN Service"

What do you like best?

The SVN service is really very good. Beside that, the management project tools are very helpfull.

What do you dislike?

There are no significant issues that I would report. All the service is good.

My team can work from everywhere, which is very important for my business.

Assembla review by Administrator

"Assembla review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use of assembla with the support for private repo

What do you dislike?

Does not support integration with new products

Repo control

Assembla review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Overall an fantastic experience that has helped streamline my projects"

What do you like best?

The integration with 3rd party software such as Slack. This deep integration allows for an overall better experience.

What do you dislike?

Some of the organization and design can make it difficult to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up right away, you wont regret it!

Time management couple with complex bug tracking.

Assembla review by User in Internet

"Easy to use and powerful"

What do you like best?

The ability to populate and update tickets en masse through .csv uploads.

What do you dislike?

Sorting by priority is not specific enough at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to shop around and seriously consider what features are important to you.

Organizing work and distributing and estimating tasks.

Assembla review by Administrator in Management Consulting
Administrator in Management Consulting

"Fantastic online collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

Hosted SVN and ticketing

What do you dislike?

Nothing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very inexpensive way to manage projects and collaborate with customers

Learning about Assembla?

* We monitor all Assembla reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.