Atom

Atom is a desk application based on web technologies that allows you to take control of your editor with CSS and other features.

Work for Atom?

Learning about Atom?

Atom Reviews

Showing 351 Atom reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Atom
Atom review by Antonio M.
Antonio M.

"My favourite coding IDE for a long time"

What do you like best?

One of my favourite facts that makes me love Atom is the visual user interface. It's just awesome. I really love the default One Dark theme that comes with it.

Another thing is the incredible amount of packages you can install with it, I mean, you can make it a Full IDE with just one package and code in the language you want, that's really incredible when your coding and you need to use a new language, like a HTML parser or something.

What do you dislike?

Well... Even if I love Atom, it's really heavy for just so little program. Just the core is like 550Mb, that's doesn't look like so much but when you are on a laptop with some limited space and you start to install some extra packages on it gets a bit heavy.

Also when you're coding a really big project it gets a bit buggy and starts to get slow and consume a lot of RAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a really good IDE for coding a web page or an PWA, it's your text editor. You can install the IDE package and it converts into a full IDE for the language you want, PHP, Python, Ruby...

It really should be considered as an option before other IDE's

I use it when I need to code some small webpage or PWA, also with his good GitHub integration you get a easy way to organize your project along the development.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

Atom review by Steven M.
Steven M.

"Best editor for free out there"

What do you like best?

It's web based, so easy to manipulate everything about how it looks. It also has an easy "module" based addon system where you can add syntax for new languages or expand upon existing languages. I had to do the latter in one of our projects. A very nice perk too, like Sublime, it's fast loading, which definitely adds to the decisions on why to choose this products. Lots of community support was also an important factor for as as the editor on it's own comes with minimal things installed.

What do you dislike?

Not really a full blown IDE which sometimes can help with dev, and the search is a bit slow in terms of quick searching a filename. The link between referencing class names or autocomplete is not the best but probably to be expected from a program like this that is not an IDE for any particular language.

Faster development and free so saves us money

Atom review by Joshua H.
Joshua H.

"A great editor with lots of flexibility"

What do you like best?

Code suggestions make it easy to get work done fast. All the plugins mean if I need to have code suggestions or linters for php, CMS framework or any other instance, I can add that functionality easily.

What do you dislike?

Adding/Removing and enabling/disabling plugins is a little bit obscured at first, but after doing it a few times you get the hang of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom has alot of great features. It's easy to explore the file tree, and being able to have multiple instances of your editor open at a time makes it easy to switch between projects. Atom allows you to also easily add plugins and language support to your editor, which makes it easy to switch between different projects.

I also enjoy using Atoms built in git functionality so I can commit, push, and pull code directly from the editor, so I never have to stop when I'm in the middle of a big project and lose my train of thought. Atom is a no frills editor out of the box, and only includes the stuff you need by default. This means you get to decide what your experience is like on the editor and allows you to tweak your experience to be unique. While it's not an IDE/testing service, it does have plugins for linters and code suggestions to ensure your code is clean and is inline with whatever framework/language you're working with.

Writing javascript, php, CSS

Atom review by Nick J.
Nick J.

"Best-in-class customizable coding environment"

What do you like best?

A fantastic user experience, tailored towards the best trends in text editor design. Easy to install packages (plugins) and themes make the program easy to customize towards your personal preferences. The interface is minimal and clean, while allowing you to add in features as you find that they would improve your workflow.

What do you dislike?

There are some slight performance disadvantages when compared to other editors such as Sublime Text, but the improvements in User Experience are well-worth the tradeoffs. Opening exceedingly large files can sometimes lead to hang-ups, but this proves to be a very rare occurrence.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try carrying out some basic tasks to see how the application compares to more complicated traditional IDEs, and see how much of the old functionality acted as a crutch.

Even though it is a free application, I've spent hundreds of hours using the product and have seen bugs quickly resolved and features added very often. It allows me to focus on adding value to the products on which I work, instead of managing complexity coming from my software. It's also quite easy to train new hires on, due to the simple interface and lack of proprietary idiosyncrasies.

Atom review by Manish S.
Manish S.

"Have a lot potential but also have many issues"

What do you like best?

Atom has a lot of potentials, I like the code text coloring. It's not an IDE if it doesn't have a debugger for code, it's just a fancy text editor. If your goal is to work with GTK, Rust, and C, then it's not a big deal. If the goal is to build something that you need, you end up scratching it and going back to something you know already. Good support for new plugins make it interesting

What do you dislike?

1.startup issues.

2. Plugin make the editor slower

3, offending plug-ins

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its, Doc is lacking in terms of many details but generally, you can find stuff and things have improved tremendously over the last few years (it used to be that you had to have some old Delphi help file to find anything or dig into the source code). It worths a good trial as it even provides quick formatting tools.

I mostly use this as a code editor for scripting code. I use love working with its color codes for the development. Its open source software so free to use.

I often have to modify web pages and format code. Atom, allows me to edit code and text firmly and plugin have wide choices for writing. I start with Atom first for anything of code development.

Atom review by Connor B.
Connor B.

"Great text editor for front end web development!"

What do you like best?

There are many packages that you can add on to the program to give extra features. It is also fully hackable. The support and user manual is also very easy to navigate. You can also download GitHub packages that allow you to commit from within the program!

What do you dislike?

You can't always tell which packages are still currently being updated and which have been abandoned. Make sure to check when they were last updated. Even the ones with many users can sometimes be out of date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This a very good editor. Make sure you get the packages you need early on so that you can increase your productivity! I recommend getting a tag autoclose package as well as the many Atom packages that allow it to work across different languages! Not to mention, pick out a custom style.

We use Atom for most of our coding. It is really easy to learn and fully powered, so you can use it for the rest of your career. You can also use the TeleType package to work on a project as a group in real time.

Atom review by Jon V.
Jon V.

"Atom is good, if complicated"

What do you like best?

I like the GUI. I also like the code coloring, and the knowledge I could do more with the editor if I choose other than simply using it as a text editor.

What do you dislike?

It's a little complicated for simple text editing. Some unwanted tabs open each time you launch the editor, and it's not entirely clear how to change that fact. At this point in time, I don't have the time or energy to invest in hacking a text editor. I kind of wish the basic menu options were easier to navigate and also able to hack for those who have the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think if you're generally interested in hacking things, this could be a fun little tool to give a whirl. While I'm still in school and don't have all the time in the world, it's a little difficult to get that involved. I'll definitely be revisiting the "hacking" part of this later.

I mostly use this a simple text editor. I'm solving the basic problems of editing files that don't fit neatly into my suite of IDEs. It works well and color codes for the development languages I use. It's also a quicker open than some other text editors out there, and doesn't bug you about buying a "premium version."

Atom review by Nuria R.
Nuria R.

"What more could we ask for?"

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Atom is that it's a free editor, with an attractive interface and very easy to use, allows you to write code quickly thanks to its autocomplete function.

Also, it has a plugin manager, with which you can add more functions to the program.

One of its most important characteristics is that it is free software, you can access your source code and modify it according to your needs.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes it can be a bit slow, When opening a file or browsing between different tabs, the reaction time can be a bit higher than desired, the program is blocked, even closing. This can be an inconvenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a free program that thanks to the plugin offers great functionality. What more could we ask for?

I work in the web design department and I often have to modify web pages and styles css. Atom, thanks to its complements as beautify, minimap...allows me to organize the code for its better complement and writing.

Atom review by John H.
John H.

"Atom - Text Editor and More"

What do you like best?

I do a lot with text files, and Atom supports everything I want to do. When I'm on Linux, I can run a command prompt from it via a plug in. It supports the languages I use most - HTML, PHP, Javascript, on and on.

But I do more than just code with it. Often I write my technical articles in text first so make sure I get the ideas and grammar down before I concern myself with pictures. I can do search and replaces across documents. The interface is just what I want - I can put "project folders" on the side so I specify the exact folders I'm looking for, and work with the files in there - move them around, rename them on the fly, and everything flows the way I need.

What do you dislike?

Most of the plugins are built by the community, which can be a good thing because that means whatever itch you have has either been scratched by someone else or you can build your own. But that also means that once a community developer abandons the project, it's likely dead unless someone else picks it up and you have to find the new project.

There's also a lot of untapped power that goes unused because some of the systems are obtuse "until you use them." It's like using unix that way - powerful, but you have to know why a command is "grep" or "cat" and just roll with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to figure out what works best for you.

I used it for coding and technical writing, because I can use the spell check, autocompletion, tab stops, collasping functions or divisions in HTML - anything that involves writing in any number of programming languages, I go to Atom first. If I need a full IDE then I'll jump to NetBeans or Visual Studio - but I'll start with Atom first for anything else.

Atom review by Maria L.
Maria L.

"A Modern, flexible and always updated Text-Editor!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity, the flexibility and the practically endless possibilities that the program offers.

In fact with the possibility of install external plugins you can add new and more features to the program.

It's totally free open source and with great possibility to customize every aspect of the program from the theme to the UI and so on.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it is not very performing especially when there are many open tabs or when you need to open a new tab for new project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend Atom just because it's a modern app with nice features and many plugins that you can install for free.

The program is also free and open source, so why don't you give it a chance?

With it we have speedup the development of the projects, and with all the plugins that you can install we can develop in many other language or do things like github the code, share the workspace with other members of the project, or add fancy widget.

Atom review by Adam K.
Adam K.

"Very customizable, but still feels lightweight"

What do you like best?

Love the wealth of add-ons and libraries for it, and how the UI is completely customizable using web markup (down to even the window bar, which isn't possible in Sublime Text.) There's even a theme that makes it look like Windows95! (Yes, that theme even works pretty convincingly on Mac.) I've tried moving to VS Code like so many are now, but Atom just feels more fun to work in.

What do you dislike?

Performance used to be an issue but it seems much better now, at least with the relatively small files I use in web development. Once in a while, there are glitches in the app forgetting what project I had open, but simply opening the project again brings up all my previously open files. If I need to do simple searches across a large number of files I've found other apps (Espresso in particular) to be faster.

Quickly iterating on our marketing site (WordPress, React, custom JS/SCSS/PHP), prepping new features for our marketing automation and landing page templates (Marketo, etc) — all while moving from project to project with ease. Also, since it's completely free and has a simple UI, not having to pay for software or do much training for new folks who just need to edit a bit of HTML is nice.

Atom review by Tyler D.
Tyler D.

"Great, customizable text editor"

What do you like best?

Atom is very extendable and customizable, with a vast number of packages and themes and a large, active community. The ability to connect to a git repo to monitor your changes at a glance is also beneficial.

What do you dislike?

It can be a performance hog if you have too certain packages installed or too many files open at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom isn't too much different from other text editors like Sublime Text and Notepad++, but the amount of customizable features and price point (aka free) make it an attractive option for programmers and coders.

The ability to create custom keyboard shortcuts has improved my workflow, as well as the multiple cursor and autocomplete features. The Atom community also has thousands of packages that can make your processes more efficient and effective.

Atom allows me to quickly and efficiently write code in a variety of coding language. The fact that it's hooked up our git repo which allows me to see at a glance what files may or may not have changed since the last time I committed them into the repo.

Atom review by Fabian W.
Fabian W.

"Great editor for working with code"

What do you like best?

Atom is a free software and is highly customizable through packages and addons. The software fast to download and quick to install on your device. It got a nice splitview option for multitasking or comparison code in one window. If everyone in your team works with one codeeditor and the same packages its much easier to work efficent and better.

What do you dislike?

Some standard/default settings are somehow strange and you have to setup first some options through the menu or adding packages. But after that it gets quit nice to work with!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to work with a great, open source software Atom is the right choice for your usecase. It got great addons and packages to customize the software to your needs.

Editing scripts, codes for websites and other coding based projects. You can edit websites fast and easy with Atom to get what you want. We use it to find problems and doing bugfixes inside projects.

Atom review by Lauren L.
Lauren L.

"Pretty Good Text Editor"

What do you like best?

Atom is the text editor that most of the developers on my current team are using. Atom is great because it is easy to add and configure packages and themes. Personally, I love using the split window capability and often take advantage of the autocompletion.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the way that Atom formats text is inconvenient. On save, sometimes it will remove extra parentheses or try to change the type of quote being used. In some cases this is very useful, but when working in teams, it means having more changes to review for no real reason. I also dislike that it doesn't automatically fill in as much as I'd like, but I could likely do more research into plugins that may fix that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an open source text editor that easily allows users to configure formatting to match their company standards, this is a good option.

Having everyone on a team use one text editor with the same packages and the same settings means that code is consistent. It's also simpler to walk someone through something when you're familiar with the workspace.

Atom review by William W.
William W.

"One of the best code editors available"

What do you like best?

Atom is free and it's cross-platform. So it is very fast to download and install onto Mac, Windows and Linux; without the hassle of complicated licensing or needing to go through app stores and sucklike. Incredibly feature rich, customisable and a very inspiring environment to do coding within. Fast to start up and stable. At the end of 2017, this is now my preferred code editor for web development. The project view within the sidebar is great.

What do you dislike?

Straight out of the box, some of the default settings are strange and could be an instant turn-off to new users. For example, syntax highlighting and auto-complete are poorly configured and require adjustment almost immediately before you can use Atom properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely search YouTube for some video tutorials about Atom. I found one that had me up to speed in about 20 minutes and introduced me to some really good packages (addons) for web development that make Atom brilliant for my needs.

Ability to open and edit whole websites with easy. Find and resolve bugs in existing websites. Ability to develop new websites and web apps.

Atom review by Austin R.
Austin R.

"Easy to dive in to coding"

What do you like best?

The ease of use is where atom excels over editors. I think it is now a great editor to start using when you are first learning to code. It has quick and easy hotkeys to speed up development and integrations for almost anything. You can modify almost anything in this environment. It is completely flexible and uses CoffeeScript to allow you to change anything which is great!

What do you dislike?

My biggest gripe with it is the performance on my machine. I tend to have a lot of things open so using JavaScript/CoffeeScript as the base of the platform slows it down a lot. It uses a lot of memory since it is based on Electron which uses Chrome. The amount of setup for me to be happy with Atom was just as much as Vim.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great for getting your feet wet or if you just need a quick editor to do some small changes. It lacks the potential for me to become my full environment. So I use it when I have to modify quick things that are not part of my everyday job.

I was looking for a development environment that is easy to set up for multiple different languages such as Python and Go. I also wanted an environment that was easy to set up for new developers. Some that would be experienced in other areas such as mobile or even brand new developers.

Atom review by Md_Zubair A.
Md_Zubair A.

"Best Text editor out there for modern web and mobile development"

What do you like best?

- Multitude of plugins available : The community is has build extensive add ons which makes the using and integrating lots of other features outside of core atom

- Hackable to the core : It encourages to hack the editor as per your wishes.

- Build on web technology : If somethings not working we know where to go console.

- Familiar commands :

- Integration with git and github : It has inbuilt support for github and git, if the workplace is on github then using atom is very convenient to review Pull requests, post and see comments on the them, resolve conflicts etc all without leaving atom interface.

- Open source : The complete source code is open source, so if one finds a bug and they can raise an issue or solve on their own. Plus they know whats going on under the hood. Also host their own copy of atom in enterprise

- Nuclide : With Facebook collaboration, atom converted to a rich IDE with support for js,ts,flow etc.

What do you dislike?

- Consumes a lot of cpu resources

- Can be slow and unresponsive for very large projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a delightful yet powerful IDE out there by one of the most trusted company GitHub and its open source. One should definitely give it a try.

- Our whole coding environments are bases on ATOM IDE.

- Quick setup across other machines with same configuration as it allows config sharing

Atom review by Ashish G.
Ashish G.

"free open source text and source code editor"

What do you like best?

Best thing i like about atom is that it is free, easy and open source. It provides easy to use interface to write text files and source codes.It has embedded support for GitHub that shows the indication for saved, untracked and committed files. It can be used with majority of programming languages and provides syntax highlighting. Atom provides out of box fast text search within the whole project.

What do you dislike?

There appears few bugs when trying to install new packages. It hangs when working with text files bigger than a couple MB's. It's startup time is noticeably slower than other text editors. Sometimes it freezes during usage and it also affect the memory of my system. Some basic features like html autocomplete is not available out of box and a 3rd party package is required to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend atom to all users who are seeking a free and fast editor that provides most of features of paid tools. I am using atom since 3 years because of its easy to use source code and text editor that provides fast searching, syntax highlighting and embedded with github. It provides easy switching between files with the help of tabs

I am working on transport management web application written in Ruby and using atom as a source code editor because it is free and available with most of feature that paid editors provide. I am using atom since 3 years. It is an easy to use editor and can be customized with 3rd party themes. It is embedded with GitHub so provides a one click commit of files.

Atom review by Kuntal V.
Kuntal V.

"So far the Best Text Editor "

What do you like best?

The best thing about Atom is it's packages! I mean they allow us to do so much with just a text editor, you have different themes, auto-complete codes, resolve GIT conflicts directly from Atom and much more. In short Atom gives you much more smooth flow and flexibility and everything for FREE. Yes you can download and use Atom for no cost.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't like about it is that whenever you have to start from scratch, you need to decide by your own which packages you need and which packages you don't. Because there are more than 6000 packages available for Atom, it is a pretty difficult task for a new comer to be able to decide which ones they need to install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say it is the best tool available out there for web developers and web designers. And it is free of cost, so no harm in trying it out!

When working on a project for a client, I often end up using /editing multiple files at a time and it requires being able to use split screen, which Atom can handle very well. Another important feature that helps a lot is being able to drag & drop project files/folders to Atom file tree.

Atom review by Fedor P.
Fedor P.

"Small bugs sometimes, but otherwise great GUI alternative to vim!"

What do you like best?

Atom is a great free alternative to sublime and vim! Apart from the usual features like syntax highlighting, auto-formatting, etc... that you would find in a regular code editor, Atom has support for thousands of plugins found in their plugin database. These plugins can help support edit code preferably in any language, turning Atom into a pseudo-IDE that works for almost any language. Atom has a really quick and simple user interface, clearly researched to make the editor more appealing, despite the non-standardization of the UIs in the plugins.

What do you dislike?

There are constantly bugs in plugins, or in the general build for Atom itself, which makes it quite difficult to use often. Sometimes the editor begins to always crash on-start, and at this point there is no real other option but to start Atom in safe mode. This is often caused by a plugin refusing to properly load, which is again caused by Atoms liberal approach towards allowing any plugins to be published, almost regardless of purpose. I do think that there needs to be a bit more moderation for plugins in terms of functionality and reviews.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before making any assumptions about how Atom is based on this review, I would look for the plugins that you think would best help you achieve in Atom that wouldn't be possible in other editors. If there is a sufficient amount of plugins that would increase your teams' productivity, I would definitely recommend giving Atom a go.

There are quite a few benefits to using Atom. Particularly, it integrates seamlessly with ssh, meaning that you can code on a server in the editor, without having to use the terminal editors like vim and nano. Additionally, to create an even more integrated editing environment, it is possible to run some popular types of code within the editor, or if that's not possible, there are plugins that support including the terminal within the editor. As mentioned before, some plugins are extremely helpful and make Atom an amazing platform for code editing, but others decrease the program's functionality and performance.

Atom review by Austin T.
Austin T.

"Constantly Evolving and Improving Editor"

What do you like best?

I think Atom is a great alternative to code editors like Sublime Text or when you don't need to use a full-fledged IDE like Visual Studio or Eclipse. Full-blown IDEs can be resource intensive or overkill for the project you are working on. Eclipse contains a lot of often-used features like Intellisense, code highlighting, and some Git integration. It is lightweight and has a community of add-on developers that produce extensions to let you do pretty much anything.

What do you dislike?

My main issue with Atom is how it handles larger files. It can take actual minutes to load a file that's only 5-10MB in size. Even after the file is open, moving around the file in the editor can be extremely choppy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're familiar with Sublime Text or any other similar software, you will feel right at home with Atom. It doesn't have as many plugins as Sublime, but that is just a result of the fact that it has not been out as long. Every day, people are releasing new plugins for Atom. Additionally, the Atom developers are constantly improving the core product so it is not stagnant. If you need a full-fledged IDE for developing non-web applications you might want to use something else like Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.

Developing in-house web applications and websites. Developing client websites and software. This is also useful with performing advanced operations on text files quickly if you want to do a regex find and replace for example. Or opening a bunch of text files and doing a mass find/replace. A regular notepad application usually can't do this.

Atom review by Bogdan P.
Bogdan P.

"Definitely my favorite text editor"

What do you like best?

As I am color blind, I really enjoy how themeable the text editor is. it allows me to choose my own color scheme to better view code syntax highlighting. In addition I appreciate how lightweight and powerful the editor is. It boots up quickly even with added packages from it's package manager. It's pretty rad that when you add a package the editor tells you how much that package adds in time to your editor's boot time.

What do you dislike?

You can often find that some packages are no longer supported by the community. A weird experience that i've noticed is that when you reload a very large file it tends to lock up the entire program rather than that single tab.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend taking full advantage of the package manager!

Well for one it's free! I've also realized that it has a wide range of support for languages and it's awesome that Github is the developer behind the editor!

Atom review by Prateek G.
Prateek G.

"Best Editor to use if you want to work with Github"

What do you like best?

The feature which tells me if I have already commited the git or not, this feature helps me keep a track even if I forget to commit my changes to github.

What do you dislike?

Its pretty slow, I have good cofig laptop still this open up very slow which is very irritating to be honest, this is the case when I use it with Windows 10, works fine with Ubuntu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well if you are someone who do lot of coding and need to create lots of repositories every single day and are responsible for committing all the changes then I would surely recommend Atom as it makes this really easy to commit and manage all the commits. The autocomplete feature is also really awesome, works pretty fast and supports all the programming languages I have use till date. But if you are using a windows and do not have a good configured laptop then I would suggest you that this software will take a long to time to open up which is something nobody likes, but if you have a good system go ahead and install this editor. I prefer using the black color it seems awesome.

I work as freelance front-end developer, and I use this editor for writing all my codes, I always create private repository which I share only with my clients and atom makes it really easy for me to commit all the changes and keep the repo up to date.

Atom review by Alex K.
Alex K.

"Incredibly customizable and pleasing to use, but a bit taxing on memory"

What do you like best?

Aesthetics of the original color scheme(s) is just very pleasing. I've rarely had to change any part of a color scheme. The customizability is great because there's a very decently sized community of package authors. The UX of searching for these packages is a little difficult but once you do find the right package, you're blessed with gold.

What do you dislike?

Windows support is much slower than mac, but that's just the reality of webdev in certain ways.

It's a little slow because I think it might be javascript based. It's like having another instance of a web browser. just taxing on some machines memory-wise. I wish it could auto-detect which language you're writing in as you go, though I can see how this could annoy people at the same time. Ruby organization could be made a little more helpful, wish some packages I've installed were already part of the editor. The same applies with auto complete of JSX elements. It would also be good to have some beautifying or minifying plugins already built in, but I can see how some would want this to be more customized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not as fast as sublime-text, but it's a comfortable environment to be in if you have the RAM for it.

The vast majority of my work is done in atom as a developer. Especially for people who work in terrible CMS environments, it's nice to work on your code in the editor rather than in-browser textareas.

Atom review by Seth W.
Seth W.

"A Customizable, Lite IDE"

What do you like best?

Atom is as simple or as complex as you want it to be. There are thousands of high quality packages to install to customize it to your needs and preferences. Linters, code completion, snippets, etc. Users can also create custom snippets for repeated tasks, like AngularJS boilerplate.

What do you dislike?

It's built on chromium, so it's a bit a memory hog, and initial startup can be a bit long (especially if you have many packages installed). It's also built on CoffeeScript and uses CSON, which I'm not the biggest fan of, though that's more of a personal preference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect the functionality of a full IDE, but it works great for JS projects.

Atom is a free, easy to use and easy to customize Code Editor that can become an IDE with the right packages installed. It makes it easy for our developers to code without their tools getting in the way.

Atom review by Sergio F.
Sergio F.

"A functional and free IDE for various languages"

What do you like best?

Fully open source and free, not like Sublime, which is the editor I started with after beginning with RStudio (I love RStudio). I really like the active package maintenance community.

I also like the visual activity of git when having to git merge. Very intuitive.

It comes also with a portable binary, so it becomes really handy when having to use it in other computers.

Also, there's an option called Plugin FTP that smells like glory when having to upload packages to a remote server. So you don't have to do it all by hand.

What do you dislike?

The time to load. At work, I have a modest machine, and I have to wait sometimes more than 30s to get it running (Due to Electron). It's a bit exasperating. Also in order to configure it to suit your needs from another editor you need quite a lot of time, getting used to it. I found it rather difficult to adapt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really worth the pain to switch

We're developing in Python and JavaScript for a project where we have a lot of dependencies, in order to write a software for autoconfiguting ONTs. It's easy to navigate the project and I've installed some plugins for both languages that are very beneficial. Also, as the software we use doesn't work on local machines, we have to upload it, so the FTP utility incluided in Atom becomes very used among the programmers of our company.

Atom review by User

"The best for those web design"

What do you like best?

Atom is nice because is light. Plugins and themes are nice.

What do you dislike?

It should be nice including native debug or some plugins options like emmet.

Sometimes, Atom have lagg so It is a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use Atom as a first develope program, you should know you need to check your personal requeriments.

In my opinion Atom is not a software for programming in Java (as Jetbrains IntelliJ can be) or Android but It is perfect for web design.

If you want a light software, fully customizable and with a good community and themes, this is your software.

Be sure you check the plugins before using Atom. Essential plugins for web design can be Emmet, Minimap, some themes like citi lights (if you like dark schemes) and material ui.

You should use github integration or consider using other software as GitKraken (that has Gitkraken Glo which is like Trello).

Atom is helping me to develope web apps.

With Atom's plugins, I can add some features like Emmet and themes that help me to work better.

I always loved material design so It has a lot of themes about it.

Long time ago, I used Sublime as my text editor because Atom was heavy. Now is better optimized.

Atom review by Leo J.
Leo J.

"A pretty nifty editor for about any language you can think of"

What do you like best?

Easy to heavily customize, has plenty of plugins that range from support for an exotic IT language to some versioning tools. It has everything!

What do you dislike?

A bit slow at times when opening, and lack a bit of automatic tools for refactoring massive code base but it doesn't aim to be an IDE like WebStorm and cie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're working on some Elm code like me checkout the Elm-jutsu plugin! worklife changing tool!

Atom is my go-to editor when working on some Elm code or to quickly browse/edit code. I'll use Webstorm when I need to work on a massive JavaScript/TypeScript project with a lot of LOC but otherwise, I really like the easy-of-use of Atom. And as I said, it is clearly the best Elm editor I tried (Checkout Elm-jutsu plugin! It should get a review of its own)

Atom review by William C.
William C.

"Atom is a great code editor that has helped me in productivity due to its features"

What do you like best?

Atom is a great open source editor and as it is open source, Atom has a large community behind it and has managed to accumulate a large number of addons that make the work much easier for the programmers when they are creating code, helping to increase the productivity

What do you dislike?

The bad thing about atom is that it consumes a lot of RAM, and if it is used for a long time the consumption can become excessive, this also happens if many addons are activated at one time

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a code editor that works as expected, with support for different addons that are constantly updated or that consume less resources than other similar editors, Atom is your best choice

Although it can consume a lot of RAM, it does not become as much RAM as in other editors, which is an advantage if you work with old computers, its different characteristics and features make it much easier to develop, for example, it has versioning management, autocompletion in different languages, restful and useful client to test the development of APIs or support for different frameworks. If you plan to use it in he business environment it can help you to increase productivity since the development will be faster than if you use simple text editors and the cost will be reduced since the consumption of Atom resources is much less compared to other code editors

Atom review by Radomir S.
Radomir S.

"Best modern code editor"

What do you like best?

Default integration with github - very powerfull, with ability to check diffs and commits. Another great features: lightness, many external integration available, nice design and possibility to customisation. Another great thing about Atom is his price - its totally free.

What do you dislike?

SFTP integration should be core functionality. 3rd pard plugin is ok, but few times there was a problem with them. There is also an issue when you try to have two version of Atom - stable and beta - installed on Mac. In the Lauchpad there is only one visible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should try it! Visual Studio Code is quite good too, but I've test both and in my opinion, Atom is more intuitive. And when you expand basic functionality by installing some most popular plugins the result will be just amazing.

Im writing an web and mobile apps. With Atom its more better than with previously used Sublime Text. And its having a great developers community so even if I need a support to another language, I always find a proper extension.

Atom review by Andrew C.
Andrew C.

"Atom, the open source IDE for everyone (with enough RAM)"

What do you like best?

Atom gives users the power of Sublime text without the proprietary licensing. Atom has a huge ecosystem of plugins that allows wide-ranging customization. If you want a linter, there's plenty to choose from. Git integration is fantastic as it is primarily developed by Github team members. The in editor git interface allows quick iteration and the conflict resolution is superb.

What do you dislike?

Atom uses Electron as it's rendering engine. The electron is, let's say, inefficient in its memory usage. If your system has <4GB RAM then consider giving Atom a pass as you will surely run into RAM usage issues. Also, the open source nature of the project means that some plugins will fall out of date without active maintainers which can disrupt workflow.

We need a powerful text editor whose configuration is easily switched between machines. Sublime text is proprietary and licensed so we have tended away from it. We enjoy the flexibility that Atom allows us.

Atom review by Jasper F.
Jasper F.

"Splitting Atoms"

What do you like best?

I like my workflow and how it is set up. Atom makes everything easy. It has tons of built-in plugins that enable developers to do a lot of great things very quickly. You can use JS linters, Ruby auto-completion features, and loads more. I like Atom, in particular, for javascript development. It's really a light-weight IDE that can compete with other heavy hitters like VS Code, VS Studio, and even intellij's lineup.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the slowness sometimes because it is built with electron.

Atom can get overloaded pretty easily and end up lagging. That's the main complaint that developers seem to have with it. Honestly, I've not really noticed that too often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think every developer should definitely give Atom a try. It's free and is a really really incredible IDE. It also looks really nice, if user interface is important to you. It was the first editor I really mastered and I always keep it closeby if i need to pop open some code. Definitely give it a shot. If you are running tons of windows, you might consider closing out of slack temporarily or just using a different IDE. However, try it and see what you think. Atom really can handle pretty much everything I've thrown at it.

I’m able to code for all my work and do a great job. The plugins are really helpful and my workflow is able to go speedily.

Atom review by Dylan C.
Dylan C.

"One of the best pieces of software I've used in a long time "

What do you like best?

It's an incredibly adaptive piece of software that I can use for scripting quick hacks and not having to load up an entire development environment to code 100 lines of python. It also has the same plugins that these bigger environments have so its super lightweight AND functional. The color scheme is also pretty satisfying, along with the fact that you can choose your language simply by renaming the file.

What do you dislike?

There are some suggestion issues. I think it should retain some keywords for each file type. Whenever I program a python script it always suggests 'true' instead of 'True'. Having these established language keywords would make it much more functional and less frustrating at times. Navigating the settings is a little more confusing than I would like. I never know where to change anything as its not listed under preferences nor under its own tab. I wish that it would have its own button somewhere so I could install packages, disable the welcome screen, and adjust the color settings without having to google. Otherwise small qualms to how great the software is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazing piece of software. Be sure to use the script plugin to run your scripts from inside Atom instead of the command line. Not suitable for large, multi-directory projects but is great for small projects or individual scripts.

Solving on-the-fly and lightweight coding needs. Sometimes I need to drum up quick AWS scripts to solve an infrastructure issue and Atom is the best tool to write and quickly debug that code.

Atom review by Jeffrey R.
Jeffrey R.

"Great Product, Lots of Features, Few Bugs"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love the customization of Atom. There is a large community of dedicated users who have created addons and FAQ's to help walk through a lot of issues one may come across.

What do you dislike?

The addons are hit and miss and can some times cause bugs. In order to fix these bugs, you typically have to go into the back and the code for the addon itself and make changes in order to get it work (At least until the author works out a fix). As this is an open source run community, a lot of the authors will get busy with life after creating their addon and are unable to update their code if changes happen to the main program or bugs crop up.

Atom can sometimes take a long time to load as well and tends to be a memory hog. This isn't too big of a deal, but if you are in a rush to get something done, it can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time needed to research some good addons (Youtube has some good videos on it), and setup the color scheme, fonts, spacing, text size, etc to your liking. It takes some time to set it up in the beginning, but once that is accomplished, you will be very happy with the product and what you can do with it.

My main use at the moment is to take notes on code that I am writing and using Atom to save code snippets that I will use later in other projects. The addons I need in order to accomplish this have been stable and it allows me to keep track of things I need in the various languages I use (CSS, HTML, JS, Liquid)

Atom review by Marco M.
Marco M.

"The best text editor"

What do you like best?

Atom is my favorite text editor, it is highly customizable and modular, as you can install themes and packages to make it how you want. I added an autocompletition and a syntax checker plug-in, and this text editor now almost feels like an IDE. I enjoy the potential and the frequent updates, every time some bugs are corrected and the software becomes faster. Also, it is completely free.

What do you dislike?

The only two things I dislike about Atom are that installing many plug-ins and themes makes the startup slower. Atom will then run fast, it won't be affected by the amount of plug-ins, just the startup will take longer. Also, editing big files and many lines together with the multi-line feature is slower than Sublime Text, which is the main competitor in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret choosing Atom, it's one of the best text editors available, and free! Plug-ins like Teletype also allow team collaboration and real time coding (still for free) where competition make it pay.

Atom is a great tool that simplifies development. It allows teams to work with the same "IDE", but everyone can work with different languages and still get help from the syntax checker, everyone can chose the favorite look and feel, and I can notice an improvement in code quality in lower times.

Atom review by Maria G.
Maria G.

"Atom un IDE especial"

What do you like best?

Atom es un entorno de desarrollo ideal para trabajar con aplicaciones web del tipo JPA, Hibernate, Angular y muchas mas. Muy parecido a visual code y de codigo abierto. Puede ser usado en el entorno de cualquier empresa de tamaño pequeño o mediano.

What do you dislike?

No encuentro ninguna desventaja entre usar este IDE o otro, quizá como mucho la instalacion de plugins que es un poco extraña.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom es un entorno de desarrollo open source con todo lo que eso conlleva asi que te animo a que lo descargues y lo pruebes! te encantara! ya lo veras

Resuelve cualquier problema en los que necesitemos un IDE versátil y open source

Atom review by Luca D.
Luca D.

"One of the best text editors available!"

What do you like best?

What I most like about Atom is that's highly customizable, you can really "build" it the way you like. You can customize its theme and appearance, the list of syntaxes to use, the way it indents the code you're writing, the font you're using etc. But that's not all. If you need a feature that isn't available in Atom, there's a huge variety of plugins (called "Packages" that will meet your needs for sure! For example, I once needed to have a local web server to test a website, but didn't want to download and install software like XAMPP for such a little work. So I just searched in the Packages list, and found "Atom Live Server", that deployed my website on a local server, directly from Atom! Really recommended.

What do you dislike?

What I don't really like about Atom is that I find it to be a bit heavier on resources than other text editors, maybe due to the big amount of languages and plugins that it supports. Also I noticed that it's slower when handling big files, and while trying to edit a lot of lines at the same time (while using the multi-line function).

The main competitor, that in my opinion is Sublime Text, handle multi-line edit faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't be disappointed by Atom, it's a great IDE.

Atom has greatly speeded-up my workflow, making my coding sessions faster and easier, due to its autocomplete feature and snippets, that write a lot of code for me (e.g. loops, complex HTML structures etc)

Atom review by Rob W.
Rob W.

"Atom integrates wonderfully with Github Desktop and our workflows "

What do you like best?

Atom is written specifically to integrate with the Github Desktop software, and is easy to extend and customize. It's cross-platform, so students of ours that use Macs or PCs can learn coding and have an environment that looks similar across their computers, reducing confusion.

What do you dislike?

Atom is always being updated, and it can have some oddities where it thinks there are multiple versions installed on your computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look through the extensions -- there are tons of them, but they can make workflows much easier.

The cross-platform nature for us is really important, as we have a mixture of Macs and PCs in our environment. Atom has tons of features that we would otherwise have to pay for if we used another product, and Atom is free.

Atom review by Dustin D.
Dustin D.

"Wish I started using Atom sooner"

What do you like best?

Both the code interpretation and the community run packages you can download, it keeps it relevant.

For example, when writing php inside of an html element, the code will interpret both the html code and the php code inside the php tags. An example of the packages keeping the software relevant, I recently started using typescript language, which is very new. Instead of having to find a new text editor that will support type script, I just opened the install packages tap in the menu and searched for a typescript interpreter, and sure enough there were several.

What do you dislike?

Import from our old system isn’t supported yet

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better than sublime, and it's free!

It replaces at least 2 tools that I used to have to pay for, so now I can save money and teach new employees half tools.

Atom review by User in Internet

"Excellent text editor for mac"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to change the look and feel and the appearance is pretty good. Moreover it is a free software easily available to download for Mac. It is one of the best code editors as well. I like the split window feature which can also be helpful to multi-task.

What do you dislike?

The default settings are somewhat strange for e.g. there is no text wrap by default so this introduces horizontal scrolling which is really not a good idea. One big drawback that I recently experienced was I didn't save my file and my computer restarted and I lost all my data. There are other text editors that provide a way to restore your files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a pretty cool text editor and a code editor. You should definitely try it out. I moved from sublime text to atom and I really find it better.

For most of the web development related work and also for taking notes.

Atom review by Angela M.
Angela M.

"I love Atom for coding HTML and CSS for my website"

What do you like best?

My files are easily accessed from the left sidebar so switching back and forth between my HTML and CSS files is quick. I also like that I can see tips for what code I need to use based on the statements I am typing. Color coded syntax makes code stand out well when doing a quick scan of the code. I like that it highlights beginning and ending declarations so you can quickly find open-ended code and fix it.

What do you dislike?

I would like it to color code or somehow break up sections which would ease navigation through long files; though this may be a feature I just haven't found yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great for beginners or experts, plus it's free to use!

Writing code for a law firm's website. I like that I have complete control over the code yet it is organized in a readable way.

Atom review by Andrew H.
Andrew H.

"Atom Code Editor"

What do you like best?

The Atom code editor appeals to me due to its open source nature. Its extensions prove to be useful such as the vim extension. Also the Atom editor supports all of the major programming languages that I write code in such as Java, C++, JavaScript. It also has extensions to support the most popular programming languages. I like that you can search for keywords across the whole directory that is loaded into the editor.

What do you dislike?

While it has a vim extension, it is not the best at emulating the commands. This kind of editor is best suited if a user is going to take advantage of the built-in keyboard commands rather than trying to override them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good open source and free code editor that allows you to see the whole branch. Definitely a good replacement for the bulky IDEs like netbeans and eclipse. I prefer to use lightweight editors like Atom.

This editor is useful for my line of work since it is open and free to use. One benefit that I like about it is that it enables a view of your code structure and keeps your files handy for viewing/editing.

Atom review by Sean Francis N.
Sean Francis N.

"An amazing text editor for coding"

What do you like best?

Despite being just a text editor, it already has features that allows you to write code easily and in a breeze. It is simple enough that you can already almost immediately start coding. If you want additional functionality, Atom supports plugins. Atom's plugins increases the number of features you can use to help your become more productive.

What do you dislike?

Atom is developed with Electron which can be problematic when it comes to performance. Being developed with Electron, it is basically a desktop app built with web technologies. This means that the app does not really run in native speeds. This can be problematic when you are opening large files or multiple files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not need using a full blown IDE, Atom may be able to fit your needs.

When writing small enough projects, Atom provides all the necessary features. For building small utility tools, Atom is enough. Generally, use Atom (with plugins) when you do not need a full-blown IDE.

Atom review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Incredible Code Editor but with some Bugs"

What do you like best?

I began using atom about 2 years ago and immediately loved it because how user friendly it was and the amount of options they provide to you. They give you tons of different color themes to use on your editor, making sure the code stands apart from the background and everything mingles just perfectly. Additionally, they actually will hook up to your github or bitbucket and allow you to push, stage, and pull directly from the code editor. You no longer need to be running sourcetree, or github desktop, or terminal for pushing and pulling again. Atom also gives you tons of packages and plugins to attach to the code editor for extended uses such as SASS syntax highlighting, and teletype which allows your code page to be controlled by other users. It is also a 100% editable editor. You can change the source styling of the entire application just by using css on a built in css sheet.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love atom it definitely has draw backs on speed, and can be very buggy at times. It is not uncommon to start up atom and have it take at a minimum of a complete minute to pull up if not longer, compared to sublime text, this is a snails speed for startup only though. Additionally, once you finally have it up and running well, it is also not uncommon to have the application quit on you randomly, not a huge deal typically, except for the longer startup time that it takes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give atom a fair try, yes it takes a bit to load but once it does the experience you will have with it is great especially if you are looking to interact with any git repo.

With atom we are able edit code locally and push and pull from our git repositories quickly and easily, allowing us to product code faster then before. Some of the business issues it has also solved is the great way to interact with your git repo's without other applications needed to be ran. It also does a great job at linting your code (debugging) if you have the right packages installed. Allowing us to ship code knowing that a service has also reviewed our code for any bugs, ensuring quality control.

Atom review by Shawn C.
Shawn C.

"Atom Editor"

What do you like best?

Atom is small and extensible giving me what i tell it i need and nothing more. I love it. There is a lot to be said for open source software and the power of crowd coding. OSS means if you want to make an improvements or fix a bug, then just fork atom/atom repo and send a pull request. If your changes are really useful, then they will be accepted. Many packages which were developed by community are included in Atom 1.0 release. Besides, thanks to open source, bugs are fixed faster, so if you’ve found a bug, please open an issue.

What do you dislike?

It does not integrate with everything the e bigger IDEs do out of the box. but it works well. Sometimes there are too many options with third party plugins. Some customers prefer to have someone outside the company to call for product support on a 24/7 basis and are willing to pay for a service level agreement that will provide a timely response.

Atom is free and helps my business focus on other things besides overhead. We also use other IDEs when more robust solutions are needed.

Atom review by Nelson David C.
Nelson David C.

"Beautiful code editor"

What do you like best?

Since Atom is open source I really like the customization of everything. Even in the welcome package, the editor gives you full authority to start installing complements according to your needs, meaning that you're working in JAVA, you have features and special packages that make you work easier. Python, PHP, C, C++, you name it, they have everything and it's always updated.

If you're working in a big project, Atom allows to open the entire project and work with it in multiple windows without any risk of reboot. Since it's integrated to the project Github, you have some advantages while you're working in a project and also working with Git. Most people (including myself) always look for a better way to make our environment more..nice. And one of the most incredible thing about this is the unlimited amount of themes that have everything I always look.

What do you dislike?

Since Atom is mostly new, they don't have multiple languages, meaning that you only work in English. Also, in many forums, MAC users says they have some problems because the tool restart alone and lose all the work. I have no records about that particular problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm assuming you're working in a big project which have lots of files and several types of languages (CSS, html, js, nodeJS among others) but your text editor only support one file at time. With Atom, that's over and you may work more relaxed but also with a community that is always working to improve this text editor.

I'm a self-taught student of web design and I'm working in projects of web development. I started using other text editors such as Notepad++ which are awesome but since Atom have more advantages about the use and the usage of a big project, the benefits are greater.

Atom review by Marcos B.
Marcos B.

"Great and open source text editor"

What do you like best?

A fully customizable, lightweight and very modulable text editor. The native integration with GitHub, which makes it more confortable to work with at side-projects or open source code, allows yo to know each file's state on GitHub and make any action directly over it, like save, commit or even resolve Git conflicts. I love its them schemes, compared with other editors shuch vim or sublime.

What do you dislike?

I think that the main problem is the lack of performance when there are a bunch of extensions loaded on the editor, becoming slower, also when there are many files in pending states with Git,

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that Atom is the perfect text editor for those that want to start with software development: easy to use, very intuitive, great community support and native integration with GitHub.

I worked with Atom for personal projects stored on GitHub (native integration and easy to use)

Atom review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Great for code organization"

What do you like best?

The Interface atom uses is fully customizable. It is quick and easy to change the layout colors and fonts. You can easily open multiple projects in different tabs and different panes either side by side or on top of one and another. The side panel can import project directories. This feature makes it easy to keep multiple projects handy and organized making it easier to switch back and forth from different file branches. Atom has an easy time opening files of multiple types. Even image files can be viewed with ATOM. Whats cool is it is built with HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and Node.js integration.

What do you dislike?

It seems to take a long time when initially opening, but runs fast while in use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. It is great for projects that are large scale with lots of directories.

The open source aspect is great when using ATOM to develop with. Knowing that the software we are using is supporting a great community.

Atom review by C. Spencer B.
C. Spencer B.

"Convert From Sublime Text"

What do you like best?

Atom is one of the best text editors available. It's pluggable interface and new IDE features puts it on par with go-tos like JetBrain IntelliJ. Backed by GitHub engineers it continues to improve every few weeks making it a much more attractive option than Sublime Text, which took over three years to update to a new version.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the UI can be slow on computers with slower clock speeds. This has been improving steadily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VSCode is a worthy alternative to checkout if you want more IDE features.

Atom lets you customize your text editor to fit your working style and makes it easy to setup the same features and plugins between team members.

Atom review by Peter R. G.
Peter R. G.

"Simple, quick, versatile, indispensable."

What do you like best?

It is ligh-weight, simple to use, and fast to load. Sometimes you just need a great capable text editor, not that whole huge IDE; Atom fits the bill.

It has unlimited plugins which allow anything from PowerShell to YAML code recognition.

It is free.

What do you dislike?

Search and Replace can be daunting and a bit irritating when dealing with searching within a selection.

Some plugins don't seem to be vetted well. A browser plugin showed only half a page, while a terminal plugin would crash the entire app at random.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind this is not a full IDE; it is an incredibly capable text editor with features which make it seem nearly useful as an IDE.

I script with Atom in nearly every language, use it for taking notes, designing what will become more complex wiki pages and software design documents, and find it stable to read any size text file in a pinch.

Atom review by Phil A.
Phil A.

"Simple, powerful, and lightweight IDE"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Atom is simple and lightweight, yet powerful in its capabilities.

Atom is extremely customizable with many different features.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how alike it is to Sublime Text. One could even go so far as accusing Atom from stealing Sublime Text's design. Fortunately, that does not take away anything from the functionality of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, I would recommend Atom. It is simple to set up out of the box, very customizable with its built-in package manager, and at the same time very lightweight and compact. It is very similar to Sublime Text, so if you have used that product, Atom will feel very familiar.

Atom allows us to hit the ground running. Very little time is spent configuring Atom. Out of the box, everything is configured and ready to use. Customization is only a few keyboard strokes away. The built-in package manager makes this very easy.

Atom review by Jon J.
Jon J.

"A Modern and Powerful Editor"

What do you like best?

Atom is open-source, modular (you can disable just about everything you don't like), and has a fantastic collection of packages. I've been able to find solid auto-complete, syntax highlighting, and auto-formatting plugins for every language I use day-to-day (Ruby, Python, HTML, CSS, and JS). I also appreciate the VIM-mode plugin, built-in Git integration, pane-splitting, and project management tree.

What do you dislike?

Load times can be a bit slow and occasionally it turns into a memory hog (i.e. 2+ gb of ram use), but this has been improving with newer versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time searching through packages and configuring it to your liking.

Atom is my primary tool for software development at work.

Atom review by Meagan F.
Meagan F.

"Atom is great!"

What do you like best?

I like the packages, package manager and being able to use vim. Power-mode in another fun package when doing a code demo. I also really appreciate that atom is an open-source tool made for developers. Sublime text, while very nice cannot boast this. Atom also tries to be cutting edge and keep enhancing, without cluttering its toolset. They just added an IDE package that allows you to execute code from atom which is really nice. I also write a lot of documentation, so the markdown preview is a great tool.

What do you dislike?

Debugging plugin dependencies and memorizing the hotkeys, but that is a struggle everywhere. I wish the markdown preview was consistent with github. As almost all docs I push go to github, I sometimes push up changes only to realize the list formatting isn't right or a link is broken.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try vim-mode

Easy to use, standard, but customizable. Its also very user friendly. Most languages work out of the box and it's pretty easy to find them via the package manager. We have pre-setup versions of Atom that we use, and it's very simple to get them setup on many machines all at once.

Atom review by User in Internet

"The hipster's choice of IDE"

What do you like best?

Atom is a beautiful editor. It's sleek, cutomizable, and a complete rip off of Sublime.

It has everything out of the box. Download the IDE and you can start working on any codebase with correct syntax highlighting, and code navigation.

What do you dislike?

You know that trend that's happening where javascript developers want to put javascript everywhere? And they care more about typless design and style instead of speed and productivity? Well shortlt after the disease of nodejs spread through our society, those infected decided "you know, lets make application development like web development also". The underlying issue of course is that the barrier of entry for web development is so low, that you get hoards of developers with who think they are good engineers and they then need to write tools outside the browser. Instead of learning an actual language, they've bastardized programming, and stuffed html,css,and javascript in places it doesn't belong. Introducing Atom.

Its exactly like Sublime but 20x slower.

In short, Atom is built with the wrong technology, and it suffers greatly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know I complained a little bit, but its legitimately one of the best editors.

Its not a fully integrated IDE, but you can install the plugins and do a little tweaking to get it to mostly any workflow. If you're on windows doing c++/c#.. you may want to consider visual studios,

If you are on a mac doing web development, use this editor, no question!! It integrates great with github too. Consider sublime also, but they are really both the same for the basic user.

I use atom on occasion.. mainly for web development, but even then I've mostly switched to Sublime.

Since Atom is backed by github, it has a pretty good community. So foes Sublime, but I'd say atom's community seems a little more active. Community is always an under-represented strength of technology.

You can have a great product, but if there is no community, it never be used to its full potential.

You can have a bad product, but if all the work-arounds and support is available from the community, you can get by just fine, and the community (who actually cares) will improve the software.

Atom review by Arpit C.
Arpit C.

"Flexible and elegant, but slower than counterparts"

What do you like best?

Atom, an editor by Github, has a user interface that is strikingly elegant and pleasant to use, just like other UIs developed by Github, be it Github desktop software's or Github.com's. In that respect, it far outpaces its rivals like Sublime Text.

It is customizable to a large extent and has an excellent in-built package manager to facilitate that. Atom provides its own packages for essential features like language support and autocompletion. A vibrant community of package developers provides other useful packages, eg to manage git repositories or see migrations in a RoR project. Theme support is nice too, and in-built themes are quite beautiful.

The editing experience is smooth. You can view multiple files at once in different panes, open a folder as a project and browse its files or search for them using handy keyboard shortcuts.

Last, the editor remains in active development, and fixes for bugs found are very timely.

What do you dislike?

Atom is built on the electron framework, which lets one build beautiful cross-platform apps using technologies originally built for the web (HTML/CSS/JavaScript). In fact, that framework was built by Github in order to be used by Atom! A shortcoming of apps built on it is that they are slow. Atom doesn't feel anywhere near as snappy as Sublime Text, which is truly native.

Also, it uses a lot of memory and can have an impact on the performance of your system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. Use Atom if you have sufficient amount of RAM. I'd recommend at least 6 GB.

2. Go for Sublime Text instead if you want something snappier.

3. Atom is not an IDE and may not meet your requirements. Compare its features with IDEs like RubyMine or Eclipse before selecting it.

At my work, I need an editor for working on a Ruby on Rails project. It meets my needs and I use various packages to augment my workflow. Eg, I use atom-rspec to run tests written in RSpec, and rails-latest-migration for conveniently browsing migrations.

Because of its native support for Ruby and the other packages that I am able to use, I am able to work fast.

Atom review by Curtis M.
Curtis M.

"Amazing tool for coding and developing with any language."

What do you like best?

This application has amazing built in features, but the best of the features is that ability to add on and customize it to fit your project needs.

What do you dislike?

One of the features that I dislike about this application is the UI aspect of managing the preferences and settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are currently using a tool like NotePad++ or TextWrangler, they are light years behind this product. Atom is not just for the simple every day scripting but will still allow you the flexibility of writing any type of code you wish. Why settle for less when a product like Atom has so much more to offer.

I am automating tests for our Web application. The problems I am helping to solve are catching bugs at early phases. A light weight application like Atom allows me to unplug and take my laptop with me anywhere and never feel like I will lose power.

Atom review by Neeraj  G.
Neeraj G.

"Best Text Editor"

What do you like best?

Can I say everything? I've used quite a few text editors and I can easily vouch that Atom has been the best yet. The interactive interface and ease to use was something I've been looking for long and the autocomplete feature comes in handy too.

What do you dislike?

It can get a bit clumsy and slow sometimes, but that would be nitpicking too much in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a free text editor with all the functionalities you could ask for.

I've to write a lot of code in different languages for my ongoing projects, Atom helps me keep organised.

Atom review by Josh J.
Josh J.

"Great default functionality with great custom packages."

What do you like best?

It comes out of the box with simple things that others don't, such as git integration, actions on folder/file dropdowns, syntax highlighting. It also has a great default theme with great defaults for the syntax highlighting.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can think of is that sometimes a package doesn't act the way I would want or expect. For example, the slim package can be annoying as it won't paste where my cursor is, but guesses what indent level to paste at. Not much to say on the bad side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a shot. It is the best text editor for ruby on rails that I have tried so far.

Works great for developing ruby on rails applications as well as modifying any other coding scripts or text based files. I find Atom to be very helpful when coding, whereas when I was using sublime, I felt like a had to fight the editor into submission to act like I wanted it to.

Atom review by Jansen T.
Jansen T.

"Probably the best free IDE"

What do you like best?

Cross-platform, free, great plugin ecosystem - this really has it all. Out of the box it works pretty well, but if you spend the time to find a few key extensions that are specific to your workflow it can be amazing. If you like Sublime, Atom is very similar but has a bit of a fresher development team and more active plugin contributors.

What do you dislike?

Atom has trouble handling large files. I think the team is working on this, but it can be a real pain if you accidentally open a huge library file. You're usually dealing with a crash.

Atom also lacks some of the polish that premium products like IntellIJ offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out some articles on Atom extensions. Don't be afraid to learn some of the command line and hotkeys. Also take the time to learn Emmet if you write front-end code.

Many people on our development team use atom on a daily basis. The fact that it is cross-platform, free, and tweakable make it an easy choice for a small team like ours. We code in PHP & Javascript, as well as other frontend languages.

Atom review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Punchy, Dynamic editor"

What do you like best?

It's clean and intuitive. The fact that it's Open Source (Free) is arguably its strongest point. Very hackable, in a good way. The community continues to build quality extensions which make it more and more powerful.

What do you dislike?

Historically it has suffered from input lag. Those micro delays can be very distracting. However I can't attest to the current quality as I haven't used it as a primary editor for a little over a year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom feels like it was cloned from the core functionality of Sublime Text 3. To the point where it shares most of it's hotkeys.

Recently I had to do some editing on a new machine. I immediately went to Atom as I trusted it would be a fast installation that would get me writing faster than having to dig up and fuss with my Sublime Text 3 key.

Atom review by Rylee W.
Rylee W.

"Versatile and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Atom's easy enough to use and there are enough packages out there that you can really make it your own. Whatever you need it to do, there's probably something out there already that would enable you to do it.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little buggy, or perhaps I've configured some settings incorrectly. I'm willing to accept that it may be user error, but it doesn't always play nicely with SourceTree/git

It helps me be an effective programmer, but at the end of the day, it's just a nice IDE.

Atom review by Peter P.
Peter P.

"ATOM is everything I wanted in an editor"

What do you like best?

Each part of the ATOM editor can be customized that in itself is a big plus. As a programmer working with editors over the years each one I would want to customize more and more to meet my needs and wants. ATOM seems to have it all available. It also looks great out of the box

What do you dislike?

The hungry resources it takes to work with. ATOM takes up more resources than i'd like but it feels like that is slowly improving. But to be fair my home machine can use a few more gigs of memory. Though I do wish it was faster overall.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ATOM is an editor not an IDE thought with some work you can make it function similar to some basic IDEs

Full stack development from front end to back it's my go to editor. I love the linters that are easily added and configured and auto completion along with all the short cuts and again the look and feel of the editor is great.

Atom review by Todd R.
Todd R.

"Everything SublimeText has and totally free"

What do you like best?

Atom is responsive, and has all of the extensions available that I would normally have used with SublimeText or Textmate. And, it is totally free and well-maintained.

What do you dislike?

Since it is an electron app, there are some issues with memory usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The package system is different from the one used by Sublime Text and Textmate, but is the same or similar as the one used for VSCode. If you are looking for a great text editor (not a full-fledged IDE) this is a really nice choice.

I use Atom for Ruby and Elixir programming. It has linters and formatters available for both.

Atom review by Adrian King L.
Adrian King L.

"Anti-climactic yet awesome!"

What do you like best?

The idea that an editor could be as modular as possible is any software developers dream and the mere fact that atom is a bone with tools that allows you to shape it for your needs out of the box is just about as near as what you could use every single time.

What do you dislike?

It's built on Electron which is almost the same framework as Google Chrome hence if you keep it up a long time, it will continue to eat up your RAM, it's undesirable but it is a framework problem which would be resolved in the near future hopefully.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like to get things started fast then Atom is for you, it works straight out of the box, it's modular and extremely user-friendly

I'm a Software Architect and Engineer and I've solved documentation to development problems with Atom, I've molded it into what I need and I can make a lot of custom modules so I can develop faster with it.

Atom review by Jasmine S.
Jasmine S.

"Atom is my favorite text editor."

What do you like best?

I love that Atom is fully customizable. It comes with loads of default options and you're able to change loads of things to make Atom fit your workflow better. You can add custom packages by name and install it with the click of a button. Users can create and upload their creations, and you can also download popular packages among Atom users. WordPress users will feel comfortable using Atom. Most of all, it's free!

What do you dislike?

It has a tendency to be a bit slow upon starting. Performance wise, Atom can also be slow, especially with large files and projects, and may take up a lot of memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! It's easy to want to stick to your favorite program you've used for years, but after switching over to Atom, I've been able to accomplish my development tasks and learning much easier. While Sublime Text is good, I personally think Atom has made my workflow great. It's GitHub compatible, can incorporate various user-created themes and plugins.

I've been able to edit my personal projects with absolute ease. I personally enjoy editing on my MacBook Pro, which works very good with Atom. Being able to take my work on the go with a reliable text editor has been a great benefit to my company.

Atom review by Scott M.
Scott M.

"The best text editor available"

What do you like best?

Atom is, IMHO, hands down the best text editor available. It matches the feature set of nearly every other editor on the market, and is extremely extensible with a vibrant development community building cool new things every day.

Add to that the fact that Atom is open source and cross-platform across all PC operating systems and you have a recipe for excellence that no one can match.

What do you dislike?

The git integration in Atom isn't quite as nice as VSCode in my opinion, but that's largely up to the preferences of the user. I also wish you could natively set different tab length for different file types, or auto-detect tab length in an open file.

I also wish that there were a way for me to run Atom on an Android device, and especially on ChromeOS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are currently using a different editor and don't need the functionality and bloat of a full blown IDE, give Atom a try. You may find a few things missing, but almost all of those missing features have been filled by the plugin community.

Atom is the editor that I use for all of my development projects and infrastructure automation. I use it for writing code in Go or Python, as well as CloudFormation JSON and YAML files, and Ansible Playbooks.

I also have plugins installed that allow me to run tests directly from the editor.

Atom review by Consultant in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Consultant in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"The Most Amazing Text Editor I Have Used"

What do you like best?

How extensible it is and how much it can increase your productivity.

What do you dislike?

That it isn't fully developed yet. It is definitely ready for production use, but I just can't wait for it to be complete. There also needs to be a way to have multiple projects open without adding another window. It doesn't really add more resources, but it would just be cleaner and less complicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely something to look at if you are using a language without a dedicated IDE, such as Visual Studios, but I would still use this over VS.

I have used Atom as my full-time development editor and have had so much added productivity thanks to just a few of the many features it has.

Atom review by User in Internet

"Atom is a powerful and modern text editor"

What do you like best?

- Teletype is a neat new feature that allows real-time collaboration with other developers.

- Very useful built-in git features allow you to make your commits and push them straight from the text editor.

- Built-in package manager with thousands of useful packages and extensions.

- Powerful find and replace functionality.

What do you dislike?

- Large projects can take a while to load.

- Performing a find and replace on a large project can take a long time to execute.

- Consumes a lot of CPU and RAM power.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out some popular and useful packages like Emmet, Nuclide, Beautify, etc.

The new Teletype feature has been very useful. Our company is fully remote, and with Teletype we have been able to do pair programming and collaborate on some of our code in real time.

Atom review by Michael H.
Michael H.

"Well rounded IDE with minimal issues and a stylish UI"

What do you like best?

The autocomplete options are spot on, and incredibly helpful for a budding developer such as myself. It also looks really sleek.

What do you dislike?

Occasional hangups- never outright crashes but I have encountered an occasional momentary screen freeze. Atom is a bit of a memory hog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom has everything that an IDE should have, it's hands down my favorite open source software.

Writing machine learning algorithms in Python. Using Atom has increased my productivity by automated minor things- autocomplete, automatic indentation, etc. By helping to make my code more readable, I can spot errors more easily.

Atom review by brian yamanue b.
brian yamanue b.

"Next Level Editor!"

What do you like best?

the level of Customatization that atom have, i can turn it into my own, i can change the layout, the colors, the panel's position, everthing and it's super easy, and plugins you can find are realy easy to install and have a very good community where you can find help if you need to. Also, Did i mention that is totally free?, yes, everthing is free,

What do you dislike?

The download site, some times can be so slow i even prefer to download it from another source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn step by step your way around so you don't miss anything Atoms can offer to you.

i can focus totally on the work i am doing, i can link to my githug account and make push and pulls through my coding proccess, making the workflow really fast.

Atom review by User in Design
User in Design

"Awesome for web development!"

What do you like best?

I love the integration with Git the best. It makes it so easy to visually see the changes that haven't been committed yet, and easily revert back changes. I'm a fan of the visual aspect of it, as a front end developer, I'm a bit less comfortable using terminal for stuff like this. Plus, you can customize almost everything (colors, commands, keyboard shortcuts). And, integrated terminal!

What do you dislike?

There's a weird bug where it gets stuck when highlighting... that's all I can think of!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using git for version control, I highly recommend this text editor.

I use this daily for work, it's my preferred code editor. As I said before, the git integration makes it much easier to keep track of changes and keep your code synced.

Atom review by Diogo R.
Diogo R.

"Excellent IDE, but still slow"

What do you like best?

It has a growing community with a lot of themes and packages for everything you can imagine. It's more customisable than Sublime Text since it's a web based editor and the API is more open to integrations, you'll find modules that can use left/right/bottom panes to add consoles, documentation, linters, etc.

The new Git and Github integration is incredibly useful and helps you accelerate your development by avoiding you to reach a console from time to time to commit your changes.

What do you dislike?

The speed is still not comparable to Sublime Text or other editors and probably never will. Some modules are still missing like a proper SFTP integration. Also, Git integration is good but there's still room to grow, like for example tagging commits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see if the speed is not a concern. It depends on your hardware. Other than that, there's nothing that Sublime has that Atom doesn't, so it's a no brainer..

A free and full featured alternative to Sublime Text. Since it's web based and my company mostly does web development, it becomes easier to shape the editor to our specific needs.

Atom review by Alon R.
Alon R.

"Atom is a great editor with many plugins to give you an IDE like experience!"

What do you like best?

I like that Atom is free and open source. It is also highly customizable!

What do you dislike?

Atom can be slow at times since it is an electron app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an editor that is easy to use and heavily customizable, then Atom is your choice! Atom lets you customize it with code, and has plugins for major and minor language support. You can also make your own plugins for Atom. You can even look at the source code on github since it is open source!

Coding in atom is fun and free, so it saves money!

Atom review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Decent text editor for LESS preprocessing"

What do you like best?

I like how this program handles the formatting for LESS css markup. When sections of code are collapsible, it makes it easier to work with style sheets. I also like how you can easily manage the files you are working with in the left sidebar.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a function that would help to find broken pieces of code. Additionally, it would be great to have a function that would show hex colors when you hover the same way that the most recent version of DreamWeaver does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a visually appealing editor, this is a pretty good choice.

I use ATOM almost exclusively for all of my LESS markup. It allows me to edit html, java, and css easily to deliver professional end products to my clients.

Atom review by Nilesh D.
Nilesh D.

"One of the best JS editor available now "

What do you like best?

Plugins, simplicity, themes, open project folder feature. Best thing is free and cross platform so you can use in any operating system.

What do you dislike?

git status in the files, good git integration plugin, update failure. sometime it formats code without giving any information to user which is not good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atom allows me to quickly and efficiently write code in a different coding language.

Javascript free open source editor, We need one editor across platform and seems atom is good fit. Plugins allow us to write custom boilerplate code. Love support of developer community.

Atom review by Thiago A.
Thiago A.

"An elegant, batteries-included code editor"

What do you like best?

Something really great about Atom is the community.

There is an excellent open-source community building great plugins for Atom, and it's very easy to find anything you need. The plugins are usually well-built, the code is open, and you can easily contribute.

Also, it's completely integrated to git and github, something really helpful.

The editor is very elegant and easy to use. It's my editor of choice when working with ruby on rails and full-stack web development.

What do you dislike?

The bad news is that the editor is a little heavy sometimes, compared to VIM.

It was built with html, css and javascript. These tools are very flexible, but are not the most memory efficient or fast. So you're not able to edit huge files like you'd do with VIM or emacs.

So if you need to edit huge files, with hundreds of megabytes, you should use something else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a very simple and elegant editor, has great plugins, and a great community.

If you already use sublime text, give atom a go. You're gonna like it.

And if you work with open-source tools, atom is a great choice.

If you like full-fledged IDEs, than atom is not for you. IntelliJ Idea, Visual Studio and Eclipse are better choices.

I use it for full-stack web development, some ruby, some python, some javascript, html and css.

Also, clojure and sometimes java (back-end development).

The best thing about it is that it is very user-friendly and well designed. And the git integration is awesome.

Atom review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Simple and opensource editor but less auto suggestions"

What do you like best?

Atom is easy to use editor and it has lots of shortcuts that make our work much easier. Also atom comes with theme customization like day theme and night (dark) themes.

One more good thing is its open-source editor.

What do you dislike?

It has less of auto suggestions and it does not indicate if there is some minor error ( syntax error ) in our code. Also it is not able to link functions like rich editors do ( We can not expect that for free ) but still can add advantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good for middle level projects. I do not recommend for large projects.

I needed a simple editor which is good for my mac for our business apps where atom is much suitable. Its simple, its free and its supportable with mac.

Atom review by Bruno C.
Bruno C.

"Switched from Coda to Atom.io and Never looked back!"

What do you like best?

The thing I like the most about Atom.io is that it is Open Source Software. Atom is MIT licensed and the source is freely available from the atom/atom repository.

What do you dislike?

One thing I truly miss from my Coda days is having a built-in FTP client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give a try, you have nothing to lose! Remember, it is Open Source.

I use Atom to develop both personal and client websites. The main benefit that I've derived is that it saved me from having to pay for an upgrade license to 'Panic' (Makers of Coda).

Atom review by Kashif I.
Kashif I.

"Free open source tool to customize to do anything related to Text or Source Code"

What do you like best?

Atom is an open-source source code and text editor for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

It supports plug-ins written in Node.js, and embedded Git Control-by GitHub.

a tool you can customize to do anything but also use productively without ever touching a config file

What do you dislike?

Atom is an open-source project from GitHub as far there is no as such cons related to it .

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is known for hackable to the core . Highly recommended as it is an opensource and headed in right direction to act as a text and source code editor

As an Open-source text and source code editor we can write any type of file and can execute with the given extension the only thing is to load required package for that source code .

Atom review by Caleb A.
Caleb A.

"An excellent modular IDE that only does what you want it to"

What do you like best?

I love the modularity. When you first install Atom it's essentially a glorified text editor, but the number of add-ons and plugins is really what transforms this into an IDE. It's excellent at doing only exactly what you need, being lightweight, and being customizable to precisely your needs.

The thing I really love about Atom is that I have every piece of functionality tuned to the way I work. While that can involve messing with configurations, I love the tweaking to optimize my workflow. If that sounds like your personality, then I would highly recommend Atom to you.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it does require some setup to get going. Once I set it up once, I simply saved my preferences and plugins and now when I need to set up a new instance I can use that. Doing the research to figure out what you need can be time wasted when you could be using something more fully-featured with everything right out of the box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want customization and features without all the bloat of a heavier IDE, Atom is perfect for you. It's definitely headed in the right direction overall with letting the community create better and more featured plugins, and it's backed by GitHub, so you know it isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I have written better and faster code. The plugins I use have significantly improved my workflow and made it a delight to open up and code every day.

Atom review by Lokendra Y.
Lokendra Y.

"Modern text editor with lots of plugins "

What do you like best?

I really like ATOM because of its sleek Graphical User Interface which provides various color schemes and has in-built themes for providing best customization for syntax and GUI. It provides me the capability to choose my own fonts & their size along with different colors as syntax highlighter.

It comes with lots of plugins to provide extended support for the editor and the product is designed by GitHub which itself has a very good market value, so I trust it pretty well. Moreover, it is free to use and is best suited for all major programming languages.

What do you dislike?

It has a major drawback when it comes to performance with large files and completion of code. It freezes when large files are opened in the editor and sometimes crashes as well. The windows remains unresponsive that time and I have to wait for it to load the complete file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it is open source and backed by GitHub, I would recommend it, but not if you are going to use it for any other language besides JavaScript, HTML and CSS such as Python. If you are currently using a simple text editor, then you can try ATOM for sure.

The most useful benefit I realized was the cross platform support from ATOM. In my organization, I used to work on Windows machine whereas our Client uses Linux as their Operating System. So, ATOM provided the support for both of us and synchronization is now great between client and organization. Now I use it for creating JavaScript files and auto completion of various syntax.

Atom review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Works pretty good in powerful computers"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and the community is very active in developing add ons. I also created a couple of add-ons and collaborate in another open-source project to extend a current add-on for Atom.

The way it allows you to search in files and open files within another file makes it very useful in some sort of projects

What do you dislike?

The performance has some flaws in medium computers when working with linters and big files. By the time I have been using it, Atom did not have an online and collaborative edition support. In the world we are, with remote teams, is one of the first features I might be looking for at the time I was choosing between editors

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to use and setup.

You might keep an eye on the performance and the RAM consumed by Atom. Since it is an editor based on HTML and JS, it is very easy to create your own add-ons, but the performance might suffer

It allowed me to create Apps and sites easily and fast, with several add-ons such as Emmet or JSLint, you can assure a good quality code at a good speed. It also has a complete integration with git, which allows you to commit, pull and push from the very Atom

Atom review by Davide V.
Davide V.

"A great product, with just one negative side.."

What do you like best?

I like its customization options, UI, Git integration made easy, syntax highlighting and, well, pretty much everything about it.

What do you dislike?

Its requirements in term of RAM. Really, it's way too heavy for a text editor. It sometimes crashes on my PC, with an i5-3570 and 8GB of RAM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you have enough RAM to run this monster.

I needed a simple yet customizable and aesthetically pleasant text editor to write my programs when not using an IDE. Notepad++ was too rough for my needs, so here I am with Atom.

Atom review by Reme L.
Reme L.

"LIttle buggy at time but overall AWESOME"

What do you like best?

It is simple and easy to sue, while also being very extendable, it caters well for all types of developers. At its absolute core it is a beefed up text editor, so as a developer you have a very clean slate to work from to extend to your specific needs, be it theming, code hinting, syntax highlighting. No matter the language you are coding in, it can work with, highlight and suggest accordingly.

What do you dislike?

The extensible is great, but that does create the odd issue, the editor itself does have the occasional extremely odd crash, but from what I can tell that is almost always caused by a plugin, with so many options it is extremely conceivable to experience the occasional interaction conflicts between some pluggins

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it, you will not be sorry. While from what I remember there is nothing wrong with sublime, Atom does make things quite a bit easier and there is nothing Sublime could do that Atom cannot, and sometimes it does it better

Well it does not really solve a problem, it was simply the natural evolution from Sublime which just died slowly as the developers stopped working on it.

Atom review by Sunder L.
Sunder L.

"Excellent open source text editor for developers"

What do you like best?

I like Atom Editor because it supports Node.js and comes handy as not all Editors are compatible with Node.js. Moreover, the fuzzy finder has got fabulous searching capabilities and it lets you navigate easily among different files and projects. It remembers your changes and shows the latest changes you have made in the search results.

The GUI is far better than other editors and can be easily customized as per your own needs and requirements by adding any css rule in the config file. The UI change happens in fraction of seconds. It also supports multiple Cursors at the same time.

What do you dislike?

Before using Atom, previously I used Sublime Text and I found that Atom is a little slower and needs improvement in this area. Also, it is not capable of opening a file having size larger than 2MB and becomes unresponsive when given a file of more than 2MB.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend it as it comes with all the latest features and techniques. Its User Interface is pretty simple and user can get used to it pretty quickly.

It does a perfect job for me when it comes to refactoring and formatting. This editor lets me check my syntax errors and is pretty responsive in doing so when compared to any other editor. It makes my workflow streamlined and is a reliable option providing tons of themes.

Atom review by Amit M.
Amit M.

"A modern text editor with all the features you want"

What do you like best?

1. Clean and Modern UI

2. Easy to extend if you know HTML, CSS, JavaScript

3. Plenty of Plugins available

What do you dislike?

1. Slow startup speed

2. Poor battery life

3. Memory Hog

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its one of the best text editors available(VS Code). It can provide most of the features provided by an IDE. It has plenty of plugins to install from, for all your needs like code snippets, code autocomplete, linting and themes.

Advantages:

1. Plenty of plugins

2. Clean Interface

Disadvantage

1. Poor battery life

2. Uses too much RAM

3. Very slow startup time

4. Documentation for plugin development is not good. It covers coffee Script not JavaScript.

If slow performance is an issue for you then go for Sublime Text or VS code. Sublime text is not actively maintained now but has all the good features.

VS Code is also made using Electron and NodeJS but has much better performance.

I use Atom as my daily text editor for Front end development. I use it for Angular 2, TypeScript.

Atom review by Jobsamuel N.
Jobsamuel N.

"a fabulous, highly customizable, modern and free text editor"

What do you like best?

The high variety of available themes and plugins that allow you to customize your text editor at such point that you are gonna love it. Furthermore, I like a lot the session history (it's magical); it "remember" a lot of steps even though after restart it, which is really useful when you want to revert some changes. And last but not least, the updates; they are frequent and always improve important details.

What do you dislike?

The startup time is kinda slow (v1.15.0 x64), even though it has been improving A LOT after each release. Also, it slow or it crash when you are working with big files (e.g. a big JSON), which is painful and sometimes ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you discover all the available options to customize your text editor, you are gonna love it.

Since there are other available options, they aren't free. So I was looking for a solution awesome and free and that's what I found; a fabulous text editor, highly customizable, modern and free.

Atom review by Alexander Paul M.
Alexander Paul M.

"Atom, in my experience, is very light, fast and convenient with a customizable environment."

What do you like best?

The thing I like best with Atom, as a text editor, is its environment which is very customizable to suit your needs. It's a lightweight text editor and it doesn't come with pre-installed bloatware. You have the freedom to choose the tools you want to install to help you get the job done. Do you want your HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, etc. tags to close automatically? Do you want your files to be split into multiple windows? Or maybe you just want to add awesome explosive effects whenever you are in a coding streak? With Atom, you can download many free packages and themes made by other users to personalize your text editor--to make it feel your own unique IDE.

Oh, and don't forget the awesome community, whom you could easily ask for help or tips in fully utilizing the functionality and aesthetics of Atom.

What do you dislike?

Based on my experience, there is nothing I dislike with Atom in its current state. Well, of course it can be improved, but nothing should be removed. I believe Atom is going into the right direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those considering to use Atom, stop considering and start using it! You won't be disappointed!

For those who are about to use it, good move! I suggest installing the power mode and atom beautify packages, and the Seti UI Theme and Monokai Seti Syntax Theme. Your Atom would look gorgeous, but still blazing fast!

With Atom, I have found out that a text-editor can be fast and functional at the same time. I've realized that an IDE can be powerful and be equipped with useful tools but still fast and easy to use.

Atom review by Bernat R.
Bernat R.

"A clean and efficient app"

What do you like best?

I love the way of working in this application, it is compatible with multiple languages, it has integration with git and it allows to install modification packages to improve the user experience.

What do you dislike?

A big problem with this application is its performance, sometimes it gets a little slow especially on old computers. The reaction time within the interface may be longer than desired and cause discomfort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very complete tool with which any company can facilitate the development of their projects.

The great benefit that gives me is the integration with Git, since it allows to synchronize the code with the repository at all times and is a great advantage for teamwork.

Atom review by Leo H.
Leo H.

"Still one of the more feature rich Electron editors out there"

What do you like best?

What I like about Atom is widely centered around the fact that it's an electron app, which means its entirely built on front-end languages, making it one of the most versatile Text editors available today.

What do you dislike?

The Pro for Atom is alos its Con; The fact that the build runs webkit, means its subject to the same flaws that Chrome has had for some time. The flaws I'm referring to is mostly memory usage. Atom can, at times, be a very inconvenient memory hog, and will crash every now and then. That doesnt make it unstable, more than resource intensive. You'll notice this issue more so on smaller, less powerful machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're planning on using Atom as your primary text editor, then keep on mind of the plugins you install, or the processes you run along side it. These factors will certainly determine your experience, and whether or not you can tolerate the occasional hiccups that Atom can be subject to.

Atom is fairly easy to use, especially if you're even a little bit familiar with text editors. This means that as a first time user, you can take advantage of Atom's keybindings, and perhaps even make your own. Doing so will allow you to work as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Atom review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Amazing experience with Atom in Dev"

What do you like best?

The best experience I had with Atom IDE is the simplicity and the tech integration with many add-ons. Very easy to customise and have a great end-user interface. Simplicity and efficiency are the best word describing.

What do you dislike?

There are times when the IDE Atom has some bugs and defects, and their customer support is trying to help but sometime is not enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are gonna using Atom software, you are on the good path. Try it, and you will feel how the simplicity is going to make your dev environment much better. You can start by trialling. The same we did also and it was a good inspiration.

With Atom we are developing and try to switch to a more easy IDE dev environment system.

Atom review by Ken F.
Ken F.

"More than just a text editor"

What do you like best?

Highly customizable and easy to do it, too. You can easily change the key bindings and there are plenty of plugins you c