AutoCAD LT

4.0

Speed design documentation with the 2D drafting tools of AutoCAD LT software.

Work for AutoCAD LT?

Learning about AutoCAD LT?

AutoCAD LT Reviews

Showing 102 AutoCAD LT reviews
AutoCAD LT review by Jonathan G.
Jonathan G.

"Autocad LT"

What do you like best?

It works just like the autocad I always knew. It cut's paste's and trims and what I use CAD for. I believe if you're going to go all out and use 3D you would use other software but for 2D drawings this gets the job done. However, it does open up 3D drawings but you can't edit it I believe. I think its a great product to open most consultant drawings that still use CAD

What do you dislike?

I dont like the fact that it has so many buttons and options. It would be nice it if was simplified like other software but it there is just too much control and customization that if one doesnt know what theyre doing printing can be difficult. Also the black background would be nice it wasnt so monotone

Recommendations to others considering the product

combine with other software to do what you need

I use it to underlay background drawings

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about AutoCAD LT
AutoCAD LT review by Mayank C.
Mayank C.

"BESTEST DRAFTING SOFTWARE - FOUNDATION OF DRAFTING"

What do you like best?

I like all the features like drafting, editing and dimensioning of drawing, Also like improved user interface in earlier versions, Move and Copy commands are my favourite also its shortcuts, I like the new selection method they are improved in earlier versions, Also new commands they are improved in earlier versions after 2015 like "-dimstyle" etc., I like its compactness as you can run it in very lower configuration of computer system, I like its speed during swich over command steps as experts can finis their work within a miniuts if they want to complete it, I like its pricing which is as cheap as current available softwares in market, I like its user interface which is coomfirtable to all the designers..

What do you dislike?

I dislike that they are removed AUTOCAD CLASSIC workspace from versions higher than 2015,but no need to worry we can insert it manually in it..

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommend this softwares to those who are beginners in design fields, Those business men who are beginners in small level manufactureres because it is cheapest software for small level firms and a very usefull for design, detaling and drafting applications..

Every detailing problem of my job i have solved with Autocad LT, The benefits i have realized that it is cheaper software for small industries which have only drafting work, Also i can give same output as like as AUTOCAD full version if we have not any requirements of 3d modeling..

What General-Purpose CAD solution do you use?

AutoCAD LT review by Libio L.
Libio L.

"Excellent digitizer"

What do you like best?

It allows me to digitize plans quickly and safely, I can identify each element on the plane by creating its attributes individually. I can also associate the information with an existing database. Your final product is generally compatible with other CAD programs. For the cartographic production it is excellent, since I can easily manipulate all the symbols and regroup them on the map individually. I can create geometric figures keeping the independence between them. When I digitize maps I can differentiate each of the cartographic elements, I can digitize them with satellite images and with maps. I can use database and associate it with the elements of the map without altering the information. From the digitized data and the attributive information I can produce cartographic maps with excellent marginal information and complying with the basic norms for the creation of cartographic maps and plans at scales of anything that one wants to represent, such as pipes, houses, shopping centers, buildings, etc.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of memory on the computer for processing. The acquisition of the license is very expensive. It is portable to us. High performance computers are required to work comfortably. It does not allow the georeferencing of satellite images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to use and allows you to interact with the different elements for the production of cartographic and thematic information.

You can create maps for decision making

You can generate building plans quickly, in the same way you can design the plans of the houses complying with the established standards.

Generate scale plans for decision making regarding the creation of adequate housing.

AutoCAD LT review by Jason L.
Jason L.

"Very good 2D drawing software, a must have to communicate with other professionals"

What do you like best?

Lot of tools, lot of options, pretty easy to use. Possibility to draw very detailed plans. One of the best 2D softwares for architecture and construction tasks

What do you dislike?

It's very hard to find any answer on any very specific problem you might encounter using this software. But there are a lot of forums on the internet so you're most likely to have at least another person that was able to solve your problem, but it's usually not the best way to solve it. It would need more administrator providing solutions.

It might need some time to understand that what you see isn't what you print (talking about colors, line thickness,...).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a lot of time on forums, this is where you're gonna find the answers to your questions. The help section of the software is hard to navigate with and if you have a specific question, you might have a hard time finding the answer with the support. People discuss a lot about it as it's one of the most used softwares in the world in architecture, construction or urban planning.

Fast consultations with construction firms, reviewing, publishing and drawing plans is easy

AutoCAD LT review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"Head of the pack in CAD software "

What do you like best?

I like that I can create professional drafted documents quickly. I set up templates with all my layers set and layout sheets ready to go. Everytime I start a new drawing, I can just open up a template and it's all ready to go. I also love the different plot styles I can create to customize what certain colors and lines look like.

What do you dislike?

I think the hatch feature needs some tweaking. Often times the program won't hatch, thinking my lines don't meet up when in fact they do. Sometimes the dimension lines can interfere with the hatch reading the lines correctly.

AutoCAD LT allows me to draft elevations and floor plans, construction documents, electrical plans, and detail drawings. Our contractors use the drawings in order to build to our specifications.

AutoCAD LT review by Jacquelyne H.
Jacquelyne H.

"Excellent program for landscape, layout designers"

What do you like best?

The price point for the functionality is excellent- less than $400/year for the program. I highly recommend taking advantage of the trial periods they offer before committing to purchasing the software.

What do you dislike?

Some less common functions aren't included in this lite version, such as "Burst". However, it works well enough that I haven't had any complaints. Those needing 3D functionality might need to spring for the full version though

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always tell people to make sure to use the trial version before committing to the software to make sure it provides all the functionality you need for your business.

It allows me to turn projects and changes around quickly, and allows me to estimate the amounts needed for projects quickly and easily.

AutoCAD LT review by Jonathan A.
Jonathan A.

"AutoCAD LT is the best design software available and its customizability is unmatched."

What do you like best?

Having the ability to customize tool palettes in order to isolate only the tools I need for my profession is an extremely helpful additive in a software which may initially be overwhelming to a new user. Additionally, one can simply begin typing a desired command in order to access quickly that which is needed, as opposed to attempting to find such tools or options elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

Having given the positives in the way I have chosen, I would still like to say that it takes a good amount of time to become comfortable with LT. The tools' uses may become overwhelming at times. Like most items in life, practice makes perfect, I suppose.

The ablility to quickly generate drawings through quick-access tools and the ability to convert these drawings to PDF seamlessly have allowed me to become very time-efficient in an increasingly busy market.

AutoCAD LT review by Karen Z.
Karen Z.

"AutoCAD Lt Review"

What do you like best?

For the most part, it acts and feels like the full version. You can import PDF underlays as well as use the Bing Geo locate maps. The hot key commands are helpful to work efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the LT version will freeze the computer after so many layers are added. This can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The LT version works well for most projects. Would recommend the LT version over the full version.

We use this for building footprints, land plot surveys, and in our environmental consulting projects. We are able to make professional maps and drawings to effectively portray our work.

AutoCAD LT review by Jesse B.
Jesse B.

"AutoCAD Review"

What do you like best?

The best thing about AutoCAD is how easy and simple the basics are to coordinate. The commands are pretty intuitive and easy to use. Isometric views are pretty simple to use and really allow for a lot more clarity of the details and views. AutoCAD is also very compatible and easy to share and copy to different applications such as excel or PDF files.

What do you dislike?

What hardest part about AutoCAD is the difficulty of the more technical commands. I find it quite a bit more difficult to draw isometric or 3D drawings. A few commands are difficult to coordinate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful with older versions of the product. Often when you save the formats they need to be saved in an older format so others can open the files.

We are designing thermometry for refinery plants, and use AutoCAD to draw out vessels, assemblies, and layouts. We use everything from simple 1D drawings to 3D views on inventor. The clarity is great and the visual affects you get are very helpful seeing how pieces go together.

User in Construction

"Perfect for presentation "

What do you like best?

It helps me a lot on my work, you can easily make template for your daily used of this product and it has a function of layering , this helps you to hide and show the only things you need before you print your file, And its yearly cost is appreciable but I recommend before planning to purchase it , Try its trial first.

What do you dislike?

It consumes a lot of memory on processing it on your computer. The acquisition of the license is very expensive. It is portable to us. High performance computers are required to work comfortably. so try upgrading your computer first before purchasing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its your best option for making 2D detailed plans and you can easily put everything that your brain tells you to put in to it.

AutoCAD LT review by Josh H.
Josh H.

"Still the leader..."

What do you like best?

AutoCAD is so well known withing the drafting/drawing community that it maintains it's presence as a leader. We do primarily 2D drawings as we are a gasket cutter and our cutting tables use .dxf files for geometry. Although the interface keeps changing there's always something familiar about it, and typically all the old tips and tricks still work to this day.

What do you dislike?

If I had to throw one knock to Autodesk as a whole it would be the way they structure pricing of their products. I mean, they can pretty much do whatever they want, but when there are free products out there that their competitors are handing out, they need to consider how much they can really price a 2D product for.

We do about 85% of our CAD work in AutoCAD LT. It's just perfectly suited for what we do, and we know that we're using a product that creates the files we need, natively.

User in Architecture & Planning

"The best progression from using a drawing board of the CAD packages I've used"

What do you like best?

The versatility of this software: having come back to using AutoCAD LT over the last 9 months, it felt very quickly like I'd never been away! My professional experience in architecture started almost 2 decades ago, at a time when most architectural workflows straddled both drawing board and computer screen. AutoCAD, for me, was an ideal extension of a drawing board experience: I still feel like the experience can be the closest to that for me. There is the added advantage, of course (as with most CAD software) to layer, group and categorise drawing elements (lines primarily) for ease of management. But going back to the versatility of AutoCAD; a middleweight - power user can come back to using the program and find 95% of the principles they used to draw 5-10 years ago are still present, hence their method of drafting need not alter too much. At the same time, the progression to the newer tools feels intuitive and not at all complicated to pick up.

For employers, the ubiquity of AutoCAD is possibly its biggest selling point. Even in a software battleground that has programs such as Revit and ArchiCAD offering richer, more complex building design tools, the DWG is the de facto format in AEC. I don't have the figures to hand, but the percentage of architectural professionals that have AutoCAD experience must be staggeringly high. Even in those instances where a new starter has not got the experience to 'hit the ground running', there is such a wealth of tutorials and forum pages on using AutoCAD that the Autodesk help system is not under an extreme amount of pressure to get you out of a jam (incidentally, I have found the Autodesk help and forum site(s) to be extemely effective.

What do you dislike?

The version currently in use in our practice is AutoCAD LT for Mac. It felt at times like this version of the software feels was fighting you in what you want to achieve, although I am coming round to the thinking that this was nothing more than teething problems getting acquainted with the (rekindled) MacOS relationship with AutoCAD.

Not that this is a major criticism, but LT obviously does not have the depth of database functionality that full AutoCAD has: this means that when blocks have embedded attributes, this information cannot be extracted to, or be manipulated using Excel. The functionality of the block authoring software is also limited, but the facility to add parameters and actions to block for dynamic authoring exists. Customising the workspace is still possible: as a native PC user that is trying desperately not be biased, this customisation seems much more flexible on Windows. That said, the same comparison could be made between PC and Mac in most instances, with Apple backing themselves to give you the optimum experience and having their loyal subjects adhere to

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fully explore the benefits of full version ofAutoCAD vs. the cost of LT. In some instances it may actually be worthwhile to your outfit to have the full version, if its various efficiencies can save all-important time / resource on a project.

Similarly, if you are looking at purchasing the full version, it goes without saying to check that LT does not do all the things you are looking for!

The dynamic block authoring ability that is included in LT has allowed me to create a library of flexible blocks that can each be used in a number of situations, rather than, for example, discrete window blocks for each size of window.

AutoCAD LT review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Great for what it is"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is a great 2D product. As noted by the LT in the name this is a very lite version of AutoCAD. If you are looking for very basic design and presentation than this is for you. The learning tools are great and it included a VERY large manual to help with the learning while offline as well.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could make more changes and link to various Auto Desk Exchange Apps. I know it is a lite product but I would purchase the exchange apps and only use them with 2D CADs. Also a single license can be a pain if you use multiple computer stations throughout the day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are only wanting to work with 2D basic drawings. AutoCAD may be better if you even think you may one day want to get into 3D.

I am able to do easy 2D drawings much quicker than when we used to us Excel to do it. Yes I said Excel. I am able to create pieces that i use over and over again once and just insert into the CAD.

AutoCAD LT review by User

"Autocad is a very complet tool to work in the engineeing world"

What do you like best?

The best thing for me is the number of tools. You can do a lot of diferent things. Also I like so much the option of the LAYERS because in this way you can imagine the totally on the project or design on other project. It's better to avoid mistakes with de scale.

What do you dislike?

If you need to work in a 3D vision is not the best tool.For example if you have to design a piece, it is difficult to take a vision in all dimensions. In this way I think Autocad might has more tools like extrusion

Recommendations to others considering the product

3D vision.

I work in the railroad department and it is a good tool to know if the measurements of the project are right. I like because you can take a global vision of the project and work on this platform to have some modifications if is necessary.

AutoCAD LT review by Jacob J.
Jacob J.

"AutoCAD LT - Light CAD Software for a Light Purpose"

What do you like best?

It is cost effective and provides a little bit more functionality than just a standard free viewer.

What do you dislike?

The fact that for most purposes eDrawings is a freely available solution that does a lot of the same things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may be worth it to evaluate whether or not you can get by with using a free software such as eDrawings. If you need just a little bit more functionality then AutoCAD LT may be the next solution to attempt for the price.

We had a need for a light CAD software that was able to provide analyzing capabilities for DXF/DWG files. We was able to implement AutoCAD LT for the light user so that he could analyze his own files without the need to borrow time from the heavy CAD users. As one of the heavy CAD users with experience in multiple software platforms I am able to provide onsite support for the light CAD user.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Autocad two thumbs up"

What do you like best?

Autocad LT is the best program to use to draft, figuring out space planning and laying out lines for 3-D. As an interior designer, we love to use this program to layout furniture and it allows us to see the space in 2-D.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much I can say about disliking the program, but maybe if the LT upgraded to have blocks in a blocks folder so it saves time to redrawing a furniture pieces.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Creating more plot options for new users/students learning about line weights.

I don't have any problems using Autocad LT. The benefits I realized is that it gives students a change to use this program for free during school, which is great!

AutoCAD LT review by Shawna K.
Shawna K.

"Efficient and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Once the basics are covered, it is quite easy to use this product. One can use keystroke commands or choose the command from the ribbon at the top. Very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of ram to run this program. If you do not have a fast computer, it is possible that the program will crash without warning. Save often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your computer will be able to run the program well. There is nothing worse than the program lagging because you do not have enough ram.

Mostly I am drawing out equipment to scale to fit in the existing space in 2D. AutoCAD is perfect for this. I enjoy how easy it is to create complicated drawings for design.

AutoCAD LT review by Ken Y.
Ken Y.

"Auto CAD LT 2018"

What do you like best?

This is an user-friendly software. I used AutoCAD daily for my office work, in terms of drawing layout for projects.

What do you dislike?

None. Everything looks fine to me and I am satisfying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very user-friendly, and can precisely help the user to determine the dimensions, construct drawing, and put into professional layout. I will highly recommend it.

It helps me to solve determining the space between rows in our solar project.

AutoCAD LT review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"More than enough CAD for most users."

What do you like best?

The stripped-back nature of the interface, compared with full AutoCAD, gives the user the simplicity offered by more familiar programs like Microsoft Office; this streamlines functionality for new users as they do not get bogged down in overly complicated sub menus cluttered with buttons they will likely never use.

What do you dislike?

There are some relatively basic functions which could do with being included, for example a simple scrolling viewer panel, akin to google earth, to allow the user to view 3D objects from whatever angle they like. Another niggle is not being able to share licences through a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have worked with people who literally have LT just to open .dwgs; there is so much more you can do with LT than that! If you are new to AutoCAD, this is a great place to start and the online tutorials and help from Autodesk is fantastic.

We use CAD to complement GIS work when we are moving into detailed site design. We have ~8 CAD users in our office, but only need full AutoCAD Civils 3D for 2 users at any one time. Having the cheaper LT version on all our machines allows us to reduce running costs and still fulfil our needs. We share 2 full licences to cover the higher functionality where we need it.

AutoCAD LT review by Niki B.
Niki B.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

It's a cheaper alternative to getting a full seat of autocad and allows me to review drawings on the go and open email attached drawings.

What do you dislike?

It's not fully compatible with everything and when i switch back and forth from autocad architecture to this it makes everything non 3-D and messes up all my blocks. I have used it previously but because of the compatibility issues i have since had to switch to full autocad.

More accessible for computers at home that don't need a full seat of autocad but still need access to files from work.

AutoCAD LT review by Trang P.
Trang P.

"AutoCAD LT for design in medium enterprise"

What do you like best?

Best software, this software provides most of feature for my job, especial 3D feature. I draw the technical design and can use short key very fast, it improve my productivity.

What do you dislike?

it is difficult to use some advance functions, must to join the training.

Design and drawing many products and technical design. New version have a 3D feature, I can view and print to printer 3D for demo and make a sample. I love the function key, it improve my productivity.

AutoCAD LT review by Clayton S.
Clayton S.

"Software with Endless Possibilities"

What do you like best?

The software is extremely accurate with ability to create something of any size and scale exponentially.

What do you dislike?

There is a major learning curve to the software. Not nearly as easy to use as some of Autodesk's other software such as Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a class with Autodesk or purchase a Mastering Autodesk Book, which will help you learn anything you need to know about the software, including simple and effective tips and tricks.

These tips are necessary for effective use of the software.

I have used this software to design layout within electrical rooms. It saves time and money to assure we will be able to fit our equipment the first time without have to come back.

AutoCAD LT review by Julia T.
Julia T.

"Couldn't do what I do without it"

What do you like best?

User friendly while I am working on multiple projects.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program crashes when I have too many drawings open, but there's a good chance that's due to my computer strength and not the program itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an excellent product for any design company. I have used AutoCad for years, since I started school in 2010, and I will continue to use it as my main design/planning program for the rest of my career.

It allows me to do all of my design drawings- big and small!

AutoCAD LT review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"BEST 2D MODELLING SOFTWARE"

What do you like best?

Great program to create Engineering MEP drawings. Layers are easy to use, and functions are plenty.

What do you dislike?

The "f2" button provides help with regards to the various functions of the program but it is very hard to understand and the user will find it very difficult to work fast, if not instructed by another user. The instructions could be clearer. There is severe lag in the program, often. The toolbars are confusing to set up, and can be over whelming.

I am able to do manual J calculations, design duct work and present them to the client. It is easy to use and functional.

AutoCAD LT review by Matthew R.
Matthew R.

"Standard CAD software that will always be a classic go to for drawings. "

What do you like best?

General ease of use, capability of creating countless types of drawings across many disciplines.

What do you dislike?

Hatching can be an issue sometimes, layering and colors can get quite complex, wish there was a simpler more intuitive setting that you could turn on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program does require some time to get acquainted to. But it is an all around great program that is commonly used and transmitted in the architectural design industry.

Use this program in almost all out projects, from creating quick sketches to full architectural construction drawings.

AutoCAD LT review by Mike B.
Mike B.

"Great for freelancing and small prjects"

What do you like best?

I like that it offers many of the features of the full build of AutoCAD in a familiar UX. It remains consistent with the rest of the Autodesk family of products, and works well as a way of reformatting file types.

What do you dislike?

The most limiting characteristic is its inability to perform 3d tasks. AutoCADlt is limited in the numbers BIM functions it provides. I would love to have the ability to make simple extrusions to model simple projects. The presentation graphics abilities are also very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a freelancing designer or a small firm owner, LT is an excellent option to create professional architectural drawings.

I'm able to design and document small projects quickly and efficiently.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Pared down version of AutoCAD which is great for basic 2D work"

What do you like best?

It is a relatively low cost option that allows me the main 2D features of AutoCAD. It is fine for basic drafting.

What do you dislike?

In general, AutoCAD software is expensive, and regular upgrades mean that software quickly becomes out of date. This means that if a client is working in a more recent version of AutoCAD, it can be difficult to access these files. Also AutoCAD Lt is not compatible with the 3D features of the full AutoCAD which can cause problems with working with files created in full AutoCAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider carefully what features you require before investing in AutoCAD or any CAD package. Be aware that you will probably need to upgrade quite regularly.

We use AutoCAD Lt for simple drafting work , to allow CAD access for a number of staff while not having to pay for full AutoCAD for everyone. This means staff can have basic CAD access on site at a relatively low cost.

AutoCAD LT review by Mark E.
Mark E.

"AutoCAD LT easy to learn"

What do you like best?

I like the options you have to import pdfs, or export to other cad software. Plays well with other on compatibility and abilities.

What do you dislike?

i don't like the default settings and the level you have to go to change your quick commands.

We can accept different cad software files to use and convert them back for each client.

"Autocad LT Powerhouse"

What do you like best?

This is one extremely powerful tool for any drawings you need to get done. Once you get past the initial steep learning curve, you can do pretty much anything you need with this application.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for this is a little steep at times, but there are plenty of videos and free tutorials that will get you going.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch some videos if you are unfamiliar with drafting software.

Able to create any drawings I am asked to create, whether new or just creating a new version of an old drawing.

User in Civil Engineering

"AutoCAD LT for Utilities Work"

What do you like best?

This program is very straightforward and intuitive to use once you've been familiarized with it. I often find myself trying to use commands from the software in other programs because it is so helpful and easy to remember. It takes a lot of thinking out of the work so I can concentrate on the details of the designs I'm working on.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to develop a realistic surface profile is the biggest downside to this program. When I work on projects that require surface profiles for permitting, I have to develop one by hand, or have another user with Civil 3D do it for me, which can be frustrating. I also wish there was an easier way to share work in a more collaborative effort with colleagues and clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice is the most important thing. Consistently work with the software every day and it will be very easy to pick up. I was intimidated at first, even after taking courses on the program in school, but now that I have used it in a professional setting daily, I am very confident in the work that I produce using this product.

Drafting and designing telecommunications infrastructure both for inside and outside builds. It is easy to develop a set of design standards so that many people on our team can do similar projects in a precise, consistent manner, with deliverables that are professional and reliable. I trust AutoCAD to support nearly all of the work that I do on a daily basis, and I rarely run into issues.

AutoCAD LT review by Internal Consultant in Entertainment
Internal Consultant in Entertainment

"AutoCad LT - a power design tool"

What do you like best?

It has all of the features I require. Should be standard issue for any designer or engineer.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of learning curve. You need to read some manuals or tutorials before jumping in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read some third party resources to get the most out of the product. There are lots of online/offline resources since this is used by so many professionals.

Have designed systems for several projects now. It allows me to exchange industry standard files with all of our clients and partners.

AutoCAD LT review by Francis Andrew B.
Francis Andrew B.

"For 2D Drafting... Nothing Better"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD has a feature set that in my limited experience in drafting has been unrivaled. Whenever I work in AutoCAD, I am able to do anything I need and am able to manipulate objects and layers in countless ways, and simply navigating around the menus reassures me that AutoCAD will be capable of handling anything I need for a long time to come.

What do you dislike?

AutoCAD LT has the obvious limitation of 2D renderings. I have worked in the full-fledged AutoCAD with 3D modeling, and it is a big step up from AutoCAD LT, but with a price tag that's 20% of the full software package, I can't complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

AutoCAD has the benefit of having a subscription model that can be set up for different lengths. The best feature that I've found is that I can pay for AutoCAD when I need it on a monthly basis and bill my client for that time, but when I have a couple of months that I am not working, I don't lose money paying for the software that I'm not currently using. I also had the benefit of learning AutoCAD in a classroom environment, which helped me immensely in terms of learning appropriate workflows and project set-up procedures.

I am using AutoCAD LT to draw out lighting plots whenever I design sets and shows. Being able to create items for one show and easily copy them over has been incredibly helpful, as many times I re-use designs from project to project.

AutoCAD LT review by Desiree S.
Desiree S.

"Great CAD Software"

What do you like best?

It's ease of use. AutoCAD has been around a very long time. I've been an ACAD user since release 14. Sure the program has change and modified and evolved but at it's base level it's still the same old cad software you used when you first started. I like that. I've been a long time user (first started back in 1998) and I've seen this program go through many iterations and I'm enjoying where it's at now for all it's features.

What do you dislike?

When a new release comes out they sometimes move or change things that have been in one place for a long time. It took me a little to get used to the ribbon design *(after a 7 year stint with MicroStation) but now that I have I'm enjoying it again. Other than that I don't really have any real complaints about how the program operates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are familiar with CAD systems it;s super easy to pick up. You just need to start using it.

For architectural drafting there's not to many other options. AutoCAD is one of the best out there. The LT version is a good choice if you don't want the full blown CAD program. I use this software t prepare construction documents for my contracting company. It works perfectly for my needs.

User in Architecture & Planning

"All of the useful features of the full version for a fraction of the cost"

What do you like best?

The best feature is that it is a heavy hitter for being a lite version. It has all of the necessary features and has proven incredibly useful for those who can't cough up the big $$$ for the full version.

What do you dislike?

Lite doesn't support lisps and doesn't have 3D support but they are features which are not heavily used by me.

We use this software fro architecture and urban design. It is simple and easy to use and incredibly professional at a great value.

AutoCAD LT review by Maggie L.
Maggie L.

"Autocad Lite "

What do you like best?

I'm an advocate for using Autocad when it comes to space planning and even on the level of understanding the space. Autcad allows users through a simple setup to be able to effectively and accurately draft what is needed.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike, possibly simplify some of the settings even more.

Autocad plays a significant role within our office. It is the primary program we use to draft with.

AutoCAD LT review by Victor W.
Victor W.

"A solid choice for drafting software"

What do you like best?

Has most every tool you could ever think of for 2D Drafting.

What do you dislike?

Can be overwhelming with the amount of tools, has a clunky interface and controls layout.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good choice for drafting applications, but has a massive amount of tools and options which can be overwhelming. Can be a little difficult to learn and isn't super intuitive. Controls and hotkeys are also clunky.

Can do most anything needed in regards to drawing up 2d CAD. Removes the 3D portion making it a little less clunky for those only looking for 2d capabilities.

AutoCAD LT review by Travis H.
Travis H.

"AUTOCAD LT - Is a great CAD program"

What do you like best?

I like that its industry standard, easy to use, and keeps up with technology. The program its self has grown to be a powerful 2D CAD system.

What do you dislike?

To start I dont like the new licensing model, it make it very hard for Company that have had licences prior to the new Subscription Model to understand what/how many licences we have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support is hard to get ahold of via phone - you have to submit everything though your support portal.

We use the software to design our products, it keeps us all on the same design platform.

AutoCAD LT review by User

"Fantastic 2D and 3D designs "

What do you like best?

I think is the best design software on the market, and is available on the PC and Mac, besides It is unparalleled in the design and manufacturing industry... With AutoCAD LT you can create very detailed technical drawings with exact measurements included. It's available for Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit, and Mac OS X...

What do you dislike?

May be you need to go to college to learn how to use it professionally and the software does require a paid subscription.. I think it's expensive (more or less)...

Recommendations to others considering the product

f you are a designer, AUTOCAD LT is your best designer option.

I use it to create 2D and 3D images with expert precision and a high amount of detail...

AutoCAD LT review by Joshua B.
Joshua B.

"Construction Estimator/PE using AutoCAD for takeoffs and drafting of work plans"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT seems to offer a lot of the features you need to do some of the lowest level analyzing, editing, and creating CAD drawings.

What do you dislike?

I found myself running into a lot of obstacles with the software when trying to open/edit/view any AutoCAD files that had any GIS objects built in at all. Also, I could not find any ability to do even minor 3d points with elevations for civil work. For this sort of work, I plan to use AutoCAD Civil 3D, but tried to make it work with a cheaper product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need minimal functionality it is the product for you, but be sure to review the capabilities you will lose by not upgrading to the full AutoCAD version. This is exactly what we did when we purchased the software, but we did not do a good job of foreseeing our future needs 1 or 2 years down the road, so we can to upgrade.

Very easy to quickly do quantity takeoffs of most engineer-drawn models. Also, very easy to manipulate and add/edit those models to make workplans.

AutoCAD LT review by John B.
John B.

"Great little tool for quick sketching"

What do you like best?

It is a light version of the full software that allows for quick drawing of concepts and easy 2d design for products

What do you dislike?

It has it's limitations that cause the user to redraw what they have done in other softwares that is used in our company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tool to accomplish what you need to do if you only need a light water downed version of the full AutoCAD. It doesn't take a high power machine to run it.

The business problem that AutoCAD LT helps with is our building layouts. For these large layouts, it is quick and easy to use.

User in Renewables & Environment

"Easy for the lite user"

What do you like best?

There isn't much you can't do with Autocad once you know how, though the LT version does lack some useful features.

What do you dislike?

Can be challenging to use w/out mouse (i.e. on a trackpad), which happens when traveling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a mouse and good computer.

Basic training is useful though one can also learn via brute force. However, this is fairly inefficient.

Allows easy editing of sales drawings and P&IDs in a much better fashion than Draftsight.

AutoCAD LT review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"Functional"

What do you like best?

I like that it is a simple version of a very powerful software. It isn't flashy but it gets the job done and shows meanings well.

What do you dislike?

It can't do many "intelligent" things. It has minimal functionality as compared to its complex brother Civil 3d.

We use it mostly to send landscape architects or clients who don't have Civil 3d purchased but would like to see our CAD files.

AutoCAD LT review by Sara W.
Sara W.

"AutoCAD LT Review"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is very efficient within its capabilities. This 2D-only software enables the user to produce construction drawings without all the bells and whistles (and complications) of using 3D modeling softwares. AutoCAD LT maintains all the tools and features from regular AutoCAD that are relevant and essential for 2D drafting. Recent updates enable users to customize command-line searches and autocorrect options. AutoDesk 360 is also an option for communicating with files on-line with your coworkers or design teams.

File exchanging, live map or logo importing, underlaying, publishing/printing to files is all do-able. Possesses many of the same documentation features (commands, palettes, dynamic blocks, user interface customization) as the full version.

Additionally, considering there is not a 3D Modeling component, the program seemed to operate at a better speed consistently throughout the lifetime of my projects. (Other CAD based softwares slowed down significantly once the projects were more developed and there was more modeled memory to be stored)

What do you dislike?

I did not have many issues with this product. I knew before beginning use what it was capable of, and I was able to work effectively with its capabilities.

One license is about $1200, which I think is a little pricy, considering you are not even getting any of the 3D modeling capabilities.

That being said, in the grander scheme of things I very much dislike how Autodesk continues to make and develop products (after several decades) that are still only compatible on Windows Software. As a Mac user, I am not going to go out and buy a computer with a different platform just so I can use their product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to CAD modeling softwares this a great program to start or learn from. AutoCAD LT is a great solution for efficient 2D ONLY drafting. If you have used the full AutoCAD software, this is definitely a down-grade, but will increase the efficiencies of your work in creating basic construction documentation because you don't have to spend time on "accessorizing" project presentations with 3D features and tools.

I used this program for architectural kitchen design. I was able to draw professional plan and elevation documentation, and make large scale documentation prints and PDFs for our company projects. I was able to successfully create blocks, import our company logo for a custom title block, set scales, adjust line weights and set plot styles. In terms of the small-scale scope of the projects I worked on, AutoCAD LT achieved exactly what I needed.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Extremely useful"

What do you like best?

this software has all the benefits of the other autocad in a simpler version, with quick access controls and a user-friendly interface.

What do you dislike?

The system requirements may be very high, limiting the number of users who can use the software due to the high performance demands of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy access controls, less system requirements

Until now I have been able to design roads within an oil field and then migrate the work to other software such as AutoCad Civil without any problem, which has given me valuable time in providing project information to colleagues and superiors.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Design
User in Design

"Love AutoCAD LT! "

What do you like best?

There are a lot of things I like. I like that is a lighter version of the traditional AutoCAD as I only do 2D work in it - so it's all I need at a better price point.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the hatching can freeze my files and delete anything that wasn't saved. I am not sure if this is a processor issue on my end or the actual program, but I have had a lot of trouble with hatching successfully!

We are solving space planning problems, designing furniture to scale, construction drawings to pass off to contractors and subs. There are a lot of things we use it for!

AutoCAD LT review by Joshua P.
Joshua P.

"Detailing with LT"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use. Although it is the light version it still has everything I need to be able to do my job. I like the fact that you can work and do your detailed layouts in Model space or you can transfer the drawings into paper space using view ports.

What do you dislike?

There are a number of glitches that still need working out. There is problems cause on first log in using copy and paste function. Also I would like for a function that makes it easier to work in paper space without accidentally clicking into the view port into the model space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this product for anyone who is looking to use auto-cad but does not want to pay the stiff price that the full version cost.

It makes it easy to layout systems and do detailed blue prints for the shop. The benefits is for a low price it makes it possible for everyone in the engineering department to do their job and support the engineers with just a few copies of full AutoCad on site.

AutoCAD LT review by Floyd F.
Floyd F.

"It is what it is,"

What do you like best?

This is a decent 2D drawing & detailing package that uses standard Autocad 2D commands including keyboard shortcuts and the nearly universal .dwg/.dxf file formats. It will be instantly familiar to the vast majority of CAD users. The cost is reasonable and it is also easy on system resources making it a good choice for lower end computers. If all you need are flat detailed "blueprint" drawings with accurate dimensions and annotations it is hard to go wrong with LT.

What do you dislike?

Of course there is absolutely no 3D capability, in fact the newer versions really aren't very good even for viewing existing 3D models from Autocad. But my biggest peeve is the inability to use lisp routines to automate repetitive drawing tasks. Even a simplified version of the Action Recorder from the full version would be a fantastic improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be certain that you realize it's strictly 2D software. If you need more functionality get the full version.

I primarily use this for the production of drawings for steel structures, and to open & share .dwg drawings created by my primary 3D cad system

User in Architecture & Planning

"LT does everything a small firm needs."

What do you like best?

Based on my experience with "lite" versions of software (specifically photoshop) you would think that a LT version of AutoCAD would be almost unusable for architects looking to get some serious work done. That is not the case for AutoCAD LT. I do retail architecture, and I honestly can't tell the difference between this software and the full version. Its a fraction of the price and I haven't ever come up against a feature that I wish I needed and didn't have.

For a small firm, price is critical. Autodesk software is expensive, and when you're trying to add (lets say) a fourth employee to your small business, that's quite a price tag. AutoCAD LT alleviates that burden, and you still get a quality product. AutoCAD is simply the best CAD software for architecture, and is so widely used that you would be at a disadvantage trying to use something else. With LT you basically get the full product.

What do you dislike?

AutoCAD is very old software, and its been built on for decades. It gets needlessly complex and often times makes simple things difficult for no reason. The hatch command is terrible, although its been MUCH improved. If you try anything other than a square (or if you really want to gamble, a spline or curve) you run a good risk of crashing the program -- for filling in a shape! There are a lot of work-arounds and tricks that AutoCAD users know to make it productive, but from a user-friendly standpoint, new users will be absolutely lost and frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need the features of full AutoCAD (which you probably don't), LT is the clear best choice.

Like I mentioned earlier, AutoCAD LT enables small firms to have essential software at a much lower price, allowing the business to grow without huge financial commitment. It can do everything the full version can, and you could very well run an office with all LT stations.

AutoCAD LT review by Sheilla C.
Sheilla C.

"Easy to use, so many options!"

What do you like best?

As always, this product is a must for anyone who is in an industry that requires planning and design for building structures, construction, and things of that nature. It is easy to use and offers a lot of features, some of which I haven't even discovered yet. It makes drafting and designing a lot faster, especially if you're making complex designs and floor plans, there are so many features that can help you plan better and find solutions to problems. But even with all the flashy tools and array of functions that are available, the ribbon organizes it for you so that you don't need to be overwhelmed with all the other tools. And, if you can't find specifically what you're looking for there's a search feature that lets you find it easily.

What do you dislike?

There aren't many negative things to say about this product, except maybe for the pricing. It is a little steep, but given the things it can do, it's mainly for those professionals who are in this field.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great learning tool for starters who are new to the CAD software. It is like the starter kit to the full autocad. If you only need to draft 2D representations of your designs, this is something that will be very useful.

I use it mainly to design floorplans and architectural designs. It is very easy to use and all the additional features can help you express ideas better especially when you can put everything in paper form.

AutoCAD LT review by Alex L.
Alex L.

"AutoCAD Experience "

What do you like best?

AutoCAD is one of the best software for designer in the market. It has a long history with excellent reputation. Even my father used to use it when I was kid. Now I am using it as a designer. Even though it takes some time to learn and get familiar with the software, AutoCAD is really powerful. Basically you can use it for any kinds of designs you want various from building design to production design. Technically, if you are professional on this software, you can do anythings with it. There are so many "hidden" functions and tricks and short cuts on the software. Once you know how to use it, it largely increases your efficiency and effectiveness. Much faster than using other software.

What do you dislike?

It take a while to learn how to use it and it take a relatively longer time to remember all the functions. It is like Microsoft excel. If you want to be professional on this software, taking a class could be a really good way to take one more step.

Personally I use it one on building design. My experience tells me that the software is accurate, powerful and simply amazing.

"2D Construction Drawings"

What do you like best?

I like how Autocad LT is a simplified version of the program. Sometimes the 3D features can interfere with the 2D drafting and it keeps the file sizes smaller

What do you dislike?

The newest version seems to lag when creating drawings with a moderate to large amount of hatches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need anything more than simple 2D drawings, this is the product for you!

We are able to quickly and effectively create a visual representation of building blueprints and details so that construction crews can easily understand how to construct projects.

AutoCAD LT review by Luke M.
Luke M.

"AutoCAD LT: Everything you Almost Need"

What do you like best?

I personally enjoy the most AutoCAD's Ease of Use and ability to just fly through edits. I feel like the software is well laid out (I'm a big ribbon guy) and everything is pretty easy to find and use. As far as CAD software goes, it's pretty intuitive. For most people, they know if they like AutoCad or not but I can see how they would get confused on the difference. My advice is this: Do your reading. If you do anything in 3D you can just forget about it.

AutoCad LT was designed with the "power user on a budget" in mind and I really like that AutoDesk offers a comprehensive piece of their software package to companies and individuals that isn't in the thousands. Not everyone has thousands to spend on licencing software, but so many people it seems can benefit from using AutoCad. So, I am glad they made the choice to offer a low cost alternative.

AutoCAD LT is a powerful tool. Simple as that and this is the most accessible version of that tool.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the removal of ALL of the 3D features in AutoCad. I understand the removal of the ability to create 3D drawings but what upsets me is the lack of control I have over pre-drawn 3D drawings.

I also dislike the way that some features are there, but do not have a menu options and can only be accessed via the command line because they are "Not fully available in the LT version". Most notably, the ability to take an object and lock it in scale and size to another object is removed from autocad LT, but can be acessed by using the command line with the function "ALIGN".

Recommendations to others considering the product

The number one thing to consider is what the LT version can NOT do. If the omitted 3D functions and misc commands are enough to make you stop and think, don't do it because you will miss them.

Other than that, it's still very much the AutoCad we all know.

Problem Solving:

- Expedited Correction and Editing of Existing Drawings

- Quick and Customizeable Printing/Ploting/Scaling and Manipulation of Drawings for Customers/Management

- Communication with Customers and Vendors

- Visualizing parts/pieces/ideas in a clean and formal way

Benefits:

- Speed

- Ease of use

- Cost Effective

- Universal/DeFacto CAD Program

AutoCAD LT review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Missing a lot of features of full blown CAD"

What do you like best?

As an HVAC engineer, I still appreciate the simplicity that CAD offers over Revit. I can operate the program remotely or in my office on just a laptop and it doesn't not crash my computer. It's also good value at a quarter of the price of full blown version.

What do you dislike?

I miss a lot of the features of full blown CAD. I miss as lot of the customization that helped make drafting easier and quicker. If I didn't learn how to do these shortcuts early on, it wouldn't both me all that much, but I feel handicapped using the LT version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should think hard about what you're using the program for. There are definitely certain efficiency gains using the full version instead of LT. For the cost saved on the license, your drafting needs will be slightly more limited.

AutoCAD LT allows me to create my drawings on a platform that isn't too expensive. CAD licenses carry quite a bit of overhead cost, so the LT version helps the bottom line. I use the program all the time for basic drafting needs.

AutoCAD LT review by John D.
John D.

"The product satisfies all my needs. Their is no need for me to use the full version."

What do you like best?

The best thing about the product is the price reduction from the full version of cad. Woking at a small architecture firm the program satisfies all of my needs. I am also a heavy user of revit LT and i believe that that program as well is completely sufficient. Sometimes the need comes about for a "work around". These are quite easy to discover. With out having the full program at your hands you have to be creative to accomplish what you need.

What do you dislike?

Restrictions if the need came about to collaborate with other professionals on a project. Sometimes the need comes about for a work around which means that you have to use a non traditional techinique to complete a task

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review what both products have to offer. Consider the price of both products. Will LT provide you with everything you need to complete your tasks.

Architecture drafting issues.

User in Architecture & Planning

"It's called LT (light) for a reason. "

What do you like best?

Great program to use AutoCAD without paying the full price of all the architectural modelling. Works best for engineers, small shops. Not good for any sort of modelling. Best for single line diagrams and simple plans.

What do you dislike?

As an architect, I like the full features. Some items might be incompatible if I send my plans to other consultants. I prefer working in a BIM environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you aren't modelling, AutoCAD LT should be perfect. Revit should be used if you want to model, not any AutoCAD products.

Putting together CD sets for small firms, interior designers, consultants, etc.

AutoCAD LT review by Marci W.
Marci W.

"industry standard"

What do you like best?

Autocad is an industry standard, so you basically have to learn to use it.... even if you use another program.

What do you dislike?

i prefer other programs that have more capabilities for 3D drawings. I have also found other programs allow for faster drafting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

you should learn this software if you are in the building industry, even if you are using another program.

Benefits of autocad are that everyone uses it, so its easy to communicate with other firms via cad files.

AutoCAD LT review by Oriol M.
Oriol M.

"Limitado a diseño 2D"

What do you like best?

Herramienta de referencia en software CAD. Perfecta para el diseño de planos

What do you dislike?

Limitada a diseño 2D pero por ello es un programa LT así que no es una pega tampoco.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si te vas a centrar en diseño 2D la opción LT cumplirá con creces.

Diseño de planos de paradas

User in Architecture & Planning

"Very good for simple uses. A great alternative to the full suite for companies that do not need all "

What do you like best?

The adaptability with other programs and the ability to have an accurate, quick base drawing.

What do you dislike?

The automatic settings and dimensions set. I always have to change them or expand the window to even draw a 20' line. I can't imagine who would prefer them to start that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what you'll be needing to accomplish with the autoCAD, Autodesk products. This is a great option if you're wanting to save a little, but still be accurate, simple and flexible.

The ability to have an accurate drawing and quickly grab accurate dimensions for the project.

AutoCAD LT review by Jonathan K.
Jonathan K.

"AutoCAD LT review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use software for two-dimensional designs and blueprints. Easy for a new user to begin using and understand the commands which drive the program. The LT version is a light version of the full suite for instances where the full software is not needed. Can be used in basic structure without the need to waste precious funds on the full version of the software.

What do you dislike?

Not really designed to be a robust three-dimensional analysis software. If three dimensional capabilities are required, another software tool should be sought.

Recommendations to others considering the product

be sure that the software output contains all the needed items needed for your design and evaluation. The LT version is the light offering, and does not contain all the bells and whistles of the full software package.

System modeling and design.

AutoCAD LT review by William C.
William C.

"AutoCAD LT Review"

What do you like best?

The functionality vs. cost is hard to beat. When you have an application that performs like this software at the value it carries it is hard to beat.

What do you dislike?

Limited functionality sometimes comes around for our Controls Dept. The BIM Group will handle any overflow that occurs.

Our HVAC Controls Division uses this software. It is perfect as their drafting load is not as heavy.

AutoCAD LT review by Jeff S.
Jeff S.

"AutoCAD LT review"

What do you like best?

Great software easy to use easy to learn. Looks and feels like AutoCAD.

What do you dislike?

The Ribbon. Don't have near the flexiblity and customization of the full blown AutoCAD. Cannot use Lisp.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for people who does not need the full blown AutoCAD or need a CAD software not will not break the bank.

Usable for quick design, quick edits. Helps saving money woth people who does not need the full blown AutoCAD.

AutoCAD LT review by Ashley L.
Ashley L.

"AutoCAD LT- Almost as good as AutoCAD"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is a cheaper version of AutoCAD with most of the same features as the full version.

What do you dislike?

I have found several tools and commands that the full version has but LT does not. One of those is Layer Translate for example, which definitely comes in handy when you are receiving drawings from someone else and need to convert layers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product that more than gets the job done and if money is an issue, is definitely worth looking into.

I'm not sure what the exact price difference is, but I think it is quite substantial. LT is great for people who don't need to use CAD all the time or if you need an extra seat in your business.

AutoCAD LT review by Charles K.
Charles K.

"great starter program for beginning CAD or low end users"

What do you like best?

This is a great program for users that do not need the full blown suite. This does not have all the bells and whistles as the full blown package but an amazing amount of work can be accomplished by a low end user that does not have to have everything.

What do you dislike?

it does not run lisp routines and this affects the lisp routines I've got in the company title blocks. It is not full blown AutoCAD but you should know that going into the purchase of it.

We have some low end users that where not using AutoCAD to it full extent. In order to use those seats, I went ahead and got them LT and transferred the full seats to other users in the company. This has allowed folks to keep working along with little or no issues. Very happy it also saved money by not having full seats for folks that do not use the software to it fullest.

User in Renewables & Environment

"Gets the job done, Quick!"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is a powerful program. Though it cannot be used to draw in 3D, it’s purposed for 2D drawings and is highly effective.

What do you dislike?

XREF’s and other functions of the program are not as intuitive as the full program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome and powerful. No regrets with choosing this product to complete all our drafting needs

AutoCAD LT has solved many issues. It’s precision and accuracy make it a very viable program to make tough in the field decisions.

AutoCAD LT review by Scott B.
Scott B.

"Great scaled down version of the real thing."

What do you like best?

The interface matches full blown AutoCAD. I use a full version of AutoCAD at work and a LT version at home and can keep the same quick keys and screen set up for consistency. Works great for basic 2D CAD work

What do you dislike?

Does not have some of the more advanced features of AutoCAD. Not good for 3D and rendering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have used AutoCAD in the past, your transition to LT will be seamless. If you do not need the 3D capability, then this product is great. I know of offices that use AutoCAD LT for the majority of the seats with a few full versions for LISP routines, 3D and the upgraded features.

I do basic 2D CAD work out of the house and this program works great. I am able to keep the set up the same as my AutoCAD layout at work for seamless transition between working on either one.

AutoCAD LT review by Betsy L.
Betsy L.

"AutoCAD professional's first experience with AutoCAD LT"

What do you like best?

As an architecture professional I have many years of experience with AutoCAD, but my new workplace uses AutoCAD LT. My experience with AutoCAD LT has been great so far. We are a small architecture firm and the product has worked well for our purposes as a drafting program and coordinating drawings between our design partners. I have primarily used the program for 2D drafting and developing sheet sets, so I have no critique of the 3D elements and how they operate different or the same as AutoCAD.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I have had with AutoCAD LT is that when I search using F1 for help it defaults to looking for my solution in basic AutoCAD and not AutoCAD LT. Often I have to filter and search for my answer a little longer than usual.

I can't speak to what business problems AutoCAD LT has solved, as I am only an associate at my firm, but my assumption is that it is a more affordable program than basic AutoCAD. For my purposes, the benefits are identical to using AutoCAD.

User in Architecture & Planning

"I have been using it in the Architecture industry for 15 years"

What do you like best?

1. The price compared to the full product price is the best feature. As long as you do not require the 3D capabilities of the full software AutoCAD LT is the way to go.

2. AutoCAD in general is an easy to use software that has been the industry standard for over 3 decades.

3. Since this tool is the industry standard, most others are using it as well. Which means that when working in a team environment it's easier to collaborate with others.

What do you dislike?

1. AutoCAD in general has become an outdated product. There are many new vertical products that are more useful in the world today.

2. Lack of customization features. Another feature that is stripped from the full package is the ability to customize the interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a drafting tool to produce 2D drawings and you do not need 3D or customization AutoCAD LT is the way to go.

I have worked on numerous architectural projects using AutoCAD LT. It's a great tool for basic drafting. I have produced full sets of construction documents using this tool. I am able to create all types of drawings, from floor plans, to elevations, and details.

AutoCAD LT review by Johnnie V. L.
Johnnie V. L.

"ACAD LT - the most recognized small platform for CAD"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD is a cad software used by many design andm engineering firms to produce detailed drawings for construction and other purposes. This "light" version is not as powerful or comprehensive, but it provides all the necessary tools to develop exemplary presentation drawings and production documents.

What do you dislike?

If one is familiar with the hallmark standard program, there limitations of ACAD LT are harder to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is recommended generally because it's industry leading counterpart is used so widely by many firms in the AEC industry. The LT version is recommended because of its more affordable price.

Creation of construction documents and other technical documents.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Not too hard on your computer but you still get all features of a great software"

What do you like best?

This software do not take much space but it gives you the powerful tool of using AutoCAD on the go. It is great for travel laptops where you do not have much space but still can finish minior glitches in design and drafting flaws.

What do you dislike?

Since it is light, you do not get to do the heavy stuffs like inserting and linking excel files, which may be needed at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool that you can possess on your own without paying heavy price for an ex0pensive AuutoCAD software. It will help you fix small mistakes quickly and on the go.

Build8ing design and last minute client meeting checks in design

AutoCAD LT review by Binayak R.
Binayak R.

"Very versatile software for all 2D drafting needs"

What do you like best?

It helps us to accurately and efficiently create, document, and optimize your 2D drawings in DWG and other file formats which make it versatile compared to other similar softwares.

What do you dislike?

Price should be lesser.

Also, 3D modeling and custom Lisp routines I can not do

Recommendations to others considering the product

AutoCAD LT's advantages are its lower cost and it is compatible with AutoCAD which is very useful for designers making it easy to use

2D Drafting. i ts can be used out of work at home as its comparatively lightweight

User in Renewables & Environment

"Great CAD Software with Minimal to No Limitations"

What do you like best?

Can use the full scope of CAD as well as Publish and Plot commands. Not sure if any limiting factors hindered this program.

What do you dislike?

Being an LT version it is not the full version of the software which may prove a disadvantage in some industries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For production of plan sets to be submitted for AHJ approval definitely in the right direction.

Used the program to produce plan sets in order to attain building permits for residential PV installation.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"AutoCAD LT good for short, non complicated projects"

What do you like best?

The home screen is much more concise than the full version. You can quickly find the functions you need.

What do you dislike?

Doesn’t have some features for more in depth projects

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to check which functions you commonly use for projects and whether this version has them as it is quite different from the full AutoCAD

Able to map out areas for projects for clients to visualize. Internally can generate cost estimates based on drawings.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Been very helpful for many different purposes"

What do you like best?

I like its flexibility in that it can be used for a wide array of requirements, it can be used for architecture and all other types of designs or drawings you may need to create.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that most of the work on it is a manual process. For me as an architect, it has certain limits compared to other softwares made especially for architecture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be greatly beneficial for all the basic applications you may need it for.

I work at an architecture office. Our draftsman is only experienced in Autocad and so we must work on the same software with him.

AutoCAD LT review by Robert W.
Robert W.

"good product"

What do you like best?

it is used by many industry's so the DWG format is a bit of a standard.

What do you dislike?

integration with other programs is lacking a bit

architectural plans for installations, and event sight plans. technical drawings for rigging

AutoCAD LT review by Marty C.
Marty C.

"AutoCAD LT"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT provides high functionality and a customizable interface allowing users to quickly and efficiently utilize the software based on their own work style and preferences.

What do you dislike?

As with other Autodesk programs, there is a bit of a learning curve and hefty price tag. However, the investment is well worth it if you are looking for a stand-alone 2D drafting software. As with anything, the more you practice the easier the program will be to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research on whether the full or LT version of AutoCAD will be best for your needs.

I would recommend utilizing AutoCAD LT if you do not have the financial means to purchase the full version and/or are not interested in using the software for 3D modeling.

AutoCAD LT review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Good Product for Basic 2D CAD"

What do you like best?

Cost, with the cost of software going up this has been kept low cost

What do you dislike?

Limited customization, we use Custom VBA scripts for full AutoCAD, LT users are unable to use them.

Basic 2D design tool for our Field Engineers

AutoCAD LT review by Emily C.
Emily C.

"A great companion to full AutoCAD "

What do you like best?

It's a great, stripped down version of Autocad that can be used alongside the full program or as a light alternative with most of the features available

What do you dislike?

I don't use it very much as I prefer the full version

It's nice to run this on a laptop or older computer that doesn't have as much processing power.

AutoCAD LT review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"AutoCAD the obvious choice"

What do you like best?

After learning the basics fairly easy to use.

What do you dislike?

More advanced feature harder to learn, hard to find.

Engineering and design for IT. Ease of use.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"AutoCAD LT review "

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT is extremely powerful if you can figure out how to use it.

What do you dislike?

Complex software that does require training for most people

Recommendations to others considering the product

although expensive, LT has good programs for drafting.

Most people that use AutoCAD LT need some form of training. Some people can get by with reading the manual or even by watching videos. Most people need instructor led training like what CAD Training Online offers. CAD Training Online's AutoCAD 2012 training is conducted live over the internet in a virtual classroom.

Make sure that you receive your training from an Autodesk Authorized Training Center. http://www.cadtrainingonline.com

"easy to use"

What do you like best?

Ease of use accessing basic text creation and modification tools (font style, multi-line text, wrap-around text, justification, spell checker, etc.)

What do you dislike?

Like I and others have said there are OTHER Autodesk products MORE SUITED

to 3D WORK so stop grumbling you miser and give them a try.

This tool can be used as base for other tools.

AutoCAD LT review by Jonathan A.
Jonathan A.

"Autodesk's stripped down version of AutoCAD is not my preferred drafting tool"

What do you like best?

I like that this software has the same interface as most other Autodesk software, that makes navigation easy and a low learning curve. There are most drawing tools you find in the full AutoCAD, minus the power-user features.

What do you dislike?

The lack of express tools makes certain tasks in AutoCAD LT more time consuming or impossible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering AutoCAD LT and are not tied to the Autodesk ecosystem, I would recommend you look at Dassault Systemes' Draftsight.

We use AutoCAD LT to run a few of our CNC machines or do light drafting or drawing reviews.

AutoCAD LT review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"convention lauouts"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to find all the tools i need when drawing. The format makes it very fast to layout whats needed in the specification.

What do you dislike?

I dont have too many dislikes but the 1 dislike is when lauout large conventions with lots of detail blocks the program slows down and starts lag behind on the screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This a great product to use for quick design layouts

I use it to find maximum capacities of rooms and design fire marshall zones. It has made it easier for us todetermin our needs in advance.

AutoCAD LT review by Rob A.
Rob A.

"very strong basic level drafting software"

What do you like best?

most of the features that you would want, at a fraction of the price of full AutoCAD

What do you dislike?

we have found nothing to complain about with this package - just have to realize that it is not full AutoCAD

Recommendations to others considering the product

strongly recommended

cost effective design software!

AutoCAD LT review by User in Design
User in Design

"Not bad but not all there"

What do you like best?

This is a great 2D modeling software. It has all of the required tools you'll need to create precise 2D line drawings of your designs.

What do you dislike?

For me LT is not enough. I'm a product designer, and though in the past LT was fine, now I require 3D modeling features and AutoCAD LT does not support 3D / surface modeling.

I used Autocad LT in an office environment where we were designing new drawing for mining equipment. most of my office used full AutoCAD but some used LT.

AutoCAD LT review by Haiden G.
Haiden G.

"This program will create two dimensional images for production."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it works well with all the autodesk products.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you have very little three dimensional capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the program. Compare your options but it works well.

We are using it to design products for production.

AutoCAD LT review by Pete Bonette R.
Pete Bonette R.

"This has all I need for drafting site plans for my landscape projects"

What do you like best?

price and ease of use for drawing concepts and CD's

What do you dislike?

The Hatch command is a challenge at times and will respond differently once in awhile

My need for revisions is very common and acad makes them easy.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Internet

"CAD with good updates"

What do you like best?

the UI has changed and the tools work great

What do you dislike?

bulky and expensive. CAD is very pricey and they went to a subscription mode - which is annoying now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

take training or look up tutorials on all the features

use for architecture - i guess the business problems being solved are getting the work done better, fster and getting paid

User in Construction

"The right product for drafting if you can't afford AutoCAD "

What do you like best?

Ease of use, same function as full license AutoCAD. It's just what you need for mechanical and architectural drafting.

What do you dislike?

There were certain functions that were missing compared to the full license CAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider all the necessities and then compare it with CAD to see which one is better for the end user?

Quick way to draft drawing and easy to modified exiting drawings, sharing, and duplicating.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"WHY BOTHER????"

What do you like best?

THE ONLY POSITIVE THING I CAN SAY ABOUT AUTOCAD LT IS HOW EASY IT IS TO USE FOR FIRST TIME UNEXPERIENCED PEOPLE, OR MAYBE COULD EVEN BE USED IN A HIGH SCHOOL FOR A JUMP START TO COLLEGE TRAINING

What do you dislike?

AS AN AUTOCAD USER FOR 10 YEARS NOW THERE IS NO REAL BENEFIT FOR A DAILY USER TO HAVE THIS PROGRAM. IT JUST DOESNT HAVE ALL THAT A SERIOUS USER WOULD NEED. GUESS THATS WHY ITS A LT VERSION

Recommendations to others considering the product

IF YOURE GOING TO BE USING AN AUTOCAD PROGRAM DAILY AND IT BE YOUR ONLY CAD PROGRAM, BUMP UP TO THE FULL PACKAGE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!

NOT APPLICABLE

AutoCAD LT review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"AutoCAD LT"

What do you like best?

It has all the 2D features of full-blown AutoCAD that most companies doing drafting and light design would need.

What do you dislike?

It does not have the ability to customize using the AutoLISP programming language.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With less expensive software it is easy to fall into the trap of "I can train myself". Do not do that - learn how to be the most productive you can be as quickly as possible by getting the proper training.

I am a college instructor. I am in the business of making business more productive. AutoCAD LT does that, and much less expensively than full blown AutoCAD

AutoCAD LT review by Tiffany H.
Tiffany H.

"Love AutoCAD LT"

What do you like best?

All the necessary functions of AutoCAD, less cost.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! It's great! Fantastic program with all the functions you need to draft great designs.

I am drafting full architectural sets on AutoCAD LT. AutoCAD LT allows me to not only design but create all the construction documents I need to in order to work in architecture professionally.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Furniture
User in Furniture

"Good software"

What do you like best?

Options to connect to other softwares. It is nice to be able to import files from other CAD systems

What do you dislike?

It would be nice for AutoCAD to be compatible with Adobe InDesign/Photoshop.

Floorplans

AutoCAD LT review by Stefan B.
Stefan B.

"An alternative to full AutoCAD, but competition is extensive"

What do you like best?

It is compatible with the DWG format with native Autodesk libraries.

For many architects and drafters, this is all they really use, so no real need for the full version.

What do you dislike?

Still as complex and archaic as plain AutoCAD.

At this price point, there are several alternatives with more extensive toolsets (3D, API, Rendering).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seriously look at competitors: BricsCAD, ARES Commander, DraftSight, TurboCAD, VectorWorks.

Drafting. It is an option for people who only use 2D CAD and want to stay fully compatible with AutoCAD.

User in Architecture & Planning

"Using LT on a daily basis "

What do you like best?

Easy to use, compatible with just about everything and all of our colleagues.

What do you dislike?

Does not always play nice with civil Autocad. Difficult to deal with drawings that have Z-Cooridnates in them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Seems that they update periodically and that causes some issues to not be ironed out.

Architectural design and construction drawings. Biggest benefits are the blocks and shortcuts that can be set up

"Intuitive design tool"

What do you like best?

Hot keys and short cuts are helpful at speeding up design time.

What do you dislike?

It should be easier to modify pen styles Adblock change line thickness.

Developing constructions drawings in an efficient and organized manner.

User in Civil Engineering

"Simple tool for viewing and editing .dwgs"

What do you like best?

The new interface lays out everything very nice.

What do you dislike?

The dimension style and scales are always a pain to control. Especially when you open an exported .dwg file form an outside program like SolidWorks.

The ability to open and edit legacy data (.dwg) is very useful.

AutoCAD LT review by Paul L.
Paul L.

"The LT does not mean Lite"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD LT gives you most of the 2 dimensional tools you need to provide a digital construction drawing

What do you dislike?

AutoCAD LT does not support drawing in 3 dimensions

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do recommend AutoCAD LT for those who does not have the budget to buy the full AutoCAD version.

AutoCAD LT will provide to clients who demand an AutoCAD format drawing file.

"Great software"

What do you like best?

Good for basic drafting projects. It is great if a specific field of use is not applicable.

What do you dislike?

Limited functions. Only good for basic drafting.

Electrical design.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Cost-effective CAD for the everyday user"

What do you like best?

Includes all the basic features of AutoCAD from previous generations.

What do you dislike?

No 3D capability but that's included in the full version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looking for an inexpensive yet powerful 2D CAD tool? Look no further.

Very convenient for daily design modification activities. Easy to use during meetings incl. VPN compared to other CAD products.

AutoCAD LT review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Functional diagram "

What do you like best?

Easy to learn. Can creat symbols from scratch

What do you dislike?

Don’t know how to set off page references to different sheets

Helps create loop diagrams