Avalara AvaTax

Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and use, excise, communications, VAT other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s Compliance Cloud™ platform is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.

Work for Avalara AvaTax?

Learning about Avalara AvaTax?

Avalara AvaTax Reviews

Ask Avalara AvaTax a Question
Showing 67 Avalara AvaTax reviews
Avalara AvaTax review by <span>Mike C.</span>
Mike C.

"Very easy install and implementation. Great functionality. Easy to get the right tax on an order."

What do you like best?

Every time someone has reported to me that the tax AvaTax has calculated is wrong, when i investigated I found that our previous tax system had been calculating tax wrong and now AvaTax was using the correct tax rates.

What do you dislike?

During the implementation it was a lot of work to validate our existing ship to addresses. We had a lot of records with bad data on them. It took a lot of work to clean up our bad data.

AvaTax keeps all the tax rules up to date with no work on our part. The result is correct tax on the orders. An unexpected side benefit is that with cleaner ship to addresses, our charge backs from UPS for bad address information has dropped way down.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Avalara AvaTax
Avalara AvaTax review by <span>Sabine D.</span>
Sabine D.

"Used to be an amazing company, but now customer service has declined considerably"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy system to set up and learn. Has worked well with Magento Enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. It takes weeks to get a response, and that is only after several repeated requests to respond. Responses are not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a controller for several organizations, I used to love Avalara and recommended them often. I used them at everything from small non profits to large multi-channel distributors. Their customer service, unfortunately, has gone downhill since I first started working with them. It takes our current customer service rep several weeks to respond to emails, and then it is only because I keep emailing about the non-response.

Recently a non profit I work with lost their funding and had to stop all retail sales. Our contract had auto-renewed and due to the sudden loss of funding, we would no longer be needing the service. I realize that the auto renew contract is our responsibility, but I pleaded with the company based on our long history with them and that the organization was a 501(c)(3) if there was anything they could do to save us money. It took weeks for me to even get a response and they basically told us that we would have to continue to pay for the service we would not be using. They made no effort at all to work with us.

This frustrating experience, combined with the poor customer service we have been receiving, leads me to no longer recommend Avalara. I am sorry as I really enjoyed working with the company in the beginning.

Multi state sales. Reporting was made easier.

What Sales Tax Compliance solution do you use?

Avalara AvaTax review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Tax service great, customer service abysmal"

What do you like best?

AvaTax software integrates well with our financial systems, is accurate for our business needs, and for the Returns product, the states seem to have no issues with working with the Avalara team - once the Avalara team actually does their job.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is the WORST of any company we have ever worked with. We've had issues with Avalara filing returns from day one.

Issue 1 - They were contractually obligated to file through the Returns service we purchased, didn't do it, didn't file the power of attorney forms we provided, didn't resolve the tax issues they promised to resolve (and contractually are obligated to). We finally settled with one of the states for $50 in penalties after explaining the situation with Avalara; they understood the problems and gave us a break. Avalara never rectified their problem.

Issue 2 - Their account team during the process of resolving issue 1 was nonexistent. It took over 6 weeks to get our account manager to even respond to an email. Once we setup a time for the call, he asked me who I was and what company I was with, and what the problem was.

Issue 3 - tried to get a quote from the account manager for three months without the premium support - $2000 in our case - and he never provided.

Issue 4 - requested our automatic renewal be cancelled weeks in advance of our renewal and suprise our renewal - including the $2000 support I didn't want - was automatically charged to our card; I am still fighting these last two issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other options. The horrendous customer service is not worth the tax services. There are others with much better service and reasonably the same services.

We use AvaTax and Returns. The tax side of their business works well, probably because it is software and not the actual humans employed at this business. The customer service and account management team are horrid.

Avalara AvaTax review by <span>Kellie H.</span>
Kellie H.

"AvaTax, a sales tax solution"

What do you like best?

AvaTax makes sales tax calculations and reporting very simple. It gives you a peace of mind that everything is being handled correctly in regards to our sales tax obligations with multiple states. Every state has different rates and laws and AvaTax helps us keep everything we do in compliance with each state.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Avalara AvaTax. Implementation was a little tricky but that was because we use Sage 500 and have several customization's that are unique to just our company. There is a learning curve in the beginning to understand how everything works in AvaTax. I took a training class given by Avalara that helped me understand how everything works.

We use AvaTax to calculate sales tax in the 31 states we have nexus in and to report those sales tax to the various states. Using AvaTax gives us an assurance that we are in compliance. Avatax updates all sales tax rate changes so we don't have to worry with that. We also have AvaTax file all of our state and local sales tax reports. This saves our company a tremendous amount of time. If we ever receive a tax notice, we email the notice to Avalara and they help resolve the issue.

The majority of our customers are exempt. AvaTax makes it easy to enter those exemptions into the program and treats each invoice appropriately regarding sales tax calculations.

Avalara AvaTax review by <span>David W.</span>
David W.

"Beneficial when filing in multiple states"

What do you like best?

I like that Avalara keeps up with the changing tax laws

What do you dislike?

It is a little pricey and the a la carte options could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product, but I would also caution to make sure you know all the costs up front. I was expecting one thing and was surprised to find out something else. I think the product is a little pricey but I guess that value comes when you are not being audited by a State Gov't...or if you are audited that you have Avalara support.

No "problems" per se. Just trying to avoid incomplete or inaccurate sales tax filings

Avalara AvaTax review by <span>Mark P.</span>
Mark P.

"AvaTax solves all of my sales tax requirements."

What do you like best?

Very easy to set up and use. Handles all of our sales tax requirements with little to no effort on our part. Very reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We have been extremely pleased with AvaTax. It works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have been very pleased with how easy it was to set up initially and how seamless it has been since to use since then. Definitely would recommend it to others who need to simplify and automate their sales taxes. Very affordable.

Calculating sales tax on customer invoices for multiple states and jurisdictions. AvaTax handles all of the sales tax calculations, reporting, returns, filings and payments seamlessly.

Learn more about Avalara AvaTax

Avalara AvaTax Videos

Learning about Avalara AvaTax?

* We monitor all Avalara AvaTax reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.