Avalara

Avalara

3.8

Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and use, excise, communications, VAT other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s Compliance Cloud™ platform is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.

Work for Avalara?

Learning about Avalara?

Avalara Reviews

Ask Avalara a Question
Showing 78 Avalara reviews
Avalara AvaTax review by Nathon C.
Nathon C.

"No More Sales Tax Headaches"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of Avalara software is that you don't have to file any of your own sales tax reports with the states that you have nexus in. Avalara takes care of all of this for me. It's also fantastic that Avalara calculates all my sales tax for me on all my invoices.

What do you dislike?

We use the QuickBooks online connector which works really well, but I wish I could exclude certain invoices from calculating sales tax. We have some internal accounting that where we create invoices that are just for revenue purposes and not for sales or tax purposes. The connector doesn't allow us to turn off the calculation for any invoices. This makes it so we have void the invoices within the Avatax system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to any business big or small. This will really simplify your sales tax process and cut costs as well.

I'm solving the problem of having to have an extra staff member just to file all of our sales tax returns. Also, I'm streamlining the sales tax calculations and using the Avalara tax codes so that we don't have to do all the in-house sales tax research to find out if our sales are taxable in a certain location.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Avalara
Avalara AvaTax review by Mike C.
Mike C.

"Very easy install and implementation. Great functionality. Easy to get the right tax on an order."

What do you like best?

Every time someone has reported to me that the tax AvaTax has calculated is wrong, when i investigated I found that our previous tax system had been calculating tax wrong and now AvaTax was using the correct tax rates.

What do you dislike?

During the implementation it was a lot of work to validate our existing ship to addresses. We had a lot of records with bad data on them. It took a lot of work to clean up our bad data.

AvaTax keeps all the tax rules up to date with no work on our part. The result is correct tax on the orders. An unexpected side benefit is that with cleaner ship to addresses, our charge backs from UPS for bad address information has dropped way down.

What Sales Tax Compliance solution do you use?

Avalara AvaTax review by Sabine D.
Sabine D.

"Used to be an amazing company, but now customer service has declined considerably"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy system to set up and learn. Has worked well with Magento Enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. It takes weeks to get a response, and that is only after several repeated requests to respond. Responses are not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a controller for several organizations, I used to love Avalara and recommended them often. I used them at everything from small non profits to large multi-channel distributors. Their customer service, unfortunately, has gone downhill since I first started working with them. It takes our current customer service rep several weeks to respond to emails, and then it is only because I keep emailing about the non-response.

Recently a non profit I work with lost their funding and had to stop all retail sales. Our contract had auto-renewed and due to the sudden loss of funding, we would no longer be needing the service. I realize that the auto renew contract is our responsibility, but I pleaded with the company based on our long history with them and that the organization was a 501(c)(3) if there was anything they could do to save us money. It took weeks for me to even get a response and they basically told us that we would have to continue to pay for the service we would not be using. They made no effort at all to work with us.

This frustrating experience, combined with the poor customer service we have been receiving, leads me to no longer recommend Avalara. I am sorry as I really enjoyed working with the company in the beginning.

Multi state sales. Reporting was made easier.

Avalara review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Sales Tax Automation at it's best!"

What do you like best?

Automation - We do not need to worry about sales tax calculations for the different cities/states across the US, Avalara does the calculations automatically for us.

Great support team. Responsive and have always solved any issues we have had.

Native integration with NetSuite, means we do not have to management the integration of data between the systems i.e. low maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Only setup for US taxes right now. We would leverage the system even further if it was set up with international sales tax automation (VAT/GST).

UI within Avatax could be improved slightly. Sometimes a little difficult to reconcile sales tax accruals and payments between NetSuite and Avalara.

We are using Avalara to automate sales tax calculations on our sales invoices to customers in the US. Avalara in turn file our monthly/quarterly state tax returns for us and remit payment on our behalf.

Avalara AvaTax review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Tax service great, customer service abysmal"

What do you like best?

AvaTax software integrates well with our financial systems, is accurate for our business needs, and for the Returns product, the states seem to have no issues with working with the Avalara team - once the Avalara team actually does their job.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is the WORST of any company we have ever worked with. We've had issues with Avalara filing returns from day one.

Issue 1 - They were contractually obligated to file through the Returns service we purchased, didn't do it, didn't file the power of attorney forms we provided, didn't resolve the tax issues they promised to resolve (and contractually are obligated to). We finally settled with one of the states for $50 in penalties after explaining the situation with Avalara; they understood the problems and gave us a break. Avalara never rectified their problem.

Issue 2 - Their account team during the process of resolving issue 1 was nonexistent. It took over 6 weeks to get our account manager to even respond to an email. Once we setup a time for the call, he asked me who I was and what company I was with, and what the problem was.

Issue 3 - tried to get a quote from the account manager for three months without the premium support - $2000 in our case - and he never provided.

Issue 4 - requested our automatic renewal be cancelled weeks in advance of our renewal and suprise our renewal - including the $2000 support I didn't want - was automatically charged to our card; I am still fighting these last two issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other options. The horrendous customer service is not worth the tax services. There are others with much better service and reasonably the same services.

We use AvaTax and Returns. The tax side of their business works well, probably because it is software and not the actual humans employed at this business. The customer service and account management team are horrid.

Avalara AvaTax review by Kellie H.
Kellie H.

"AvaTax, a sales tax solution"

What do you like best?

AvaTax makes sales tax calculations and reporting very simple. It gives you a peace of mind that everything is being handled correctly in regards to our sales tax obligations with multiple states. Every state has different rates and laws and AvaTax helps us keep everything we do in compliance with each state.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Avalara AvaTax. Implementation was a little tricky but that was because we use Sage 500 and have several customization's that are unique to just our company. There is a learning curve in the beginning to understand how everything works in AvaTax. I took a training class given by Avalara that helped me understand how everything works.

We use AvaTax to calculate sales tax in the 31 states we have nexus in and to report those sales tax to the various states. Using AvaTax gives us an assurance that we are in compliance. Avatax updates all sales tax rate changes so we don't have to worry with that. We also have AvaTax file all of our state and local sales tax reports. This saves our company a tremendous amount of time. If we ever receive a tax notice, we email the notice to Avalara and they help resolve the issue.

The majority of our customers are exempt. AvaTax makes it easy to enter those exemptions into the program and treats each invoice appropriately regarding sales tax calculations.

Avalara AvaTax review by David W.
David W.

"Beneficial when filing in multiple states"

What do you like best?

I like that Avalara keeps up with the changing tax laws

What do you dislike?

It is a little pricey and the a la carte options could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product, but I would also caution to make sure you know all the costs up front. I was expecting one thing and was surprised to find out something else. I think the product is a little pricey but I guess that value comes when you are not being audited by a State Gov't...or if you are audited that you have Avalara support.

No "problems" per se. Just trying to avoid incomplete or inaccurate sales tax filings

Avalara AvaTax review by Mark P.
Mark P.

"AvaTax solves all of my sales tax requirements."

What do you like best?

Very easy to set up and use. Handles all of our sales tax requirements with little to no effort on our part. Very reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We have been extremely pleased with AvaTax. It works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have been very pleased with how easy it was to set up initially and how seamless it has been since to use since then. Definitely would recommend it to others who need to simplify and automate their sales taxes. Very affordable.

Calculating sales tax on customer invoices for multiple states and jurisdictions. AvaTax handles all of the sales tax calculations, reporting, returns, filings and payments seamlessly.

Avalara AvaTax review by Barbara B.
Barbara B.

"I have had very good results using the taxability, tools, and reporting."

What do you like best?

The accuracy of the taxing details, and the different reports which allowance me to get the different types of data required for the different states.

What do you dislike?

Reports now have combined cells when exporting to Excel were they did not in the past. This cause extra time in reconciling my reports as we still use two systems for reports. When I have two combine and add totals for state details I need uncombined cells before I can add the reports together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Accurately taxes invoices and has multiple reports available to accommodate multiple state filings.

I am reviewing all invoices and solving all sales tax issues on items coded improperly. The benefit realized is the ability to review tax details at all levels and see the tax coding's to verify if the item is coded correctly based on the description I have of the item and address where the item is being shipped to. I also now use the tax tools a lot more in other areas to get tax details.

Avalara AvaTax review by Bastien B.
Bastien B.

"From bad to worst"

What do you like best?

I honestly can't say since I was not able to test their service at all after spending over a thousand dollars and hours of trying to set up their integration with WooCommerce.

What do you dislike?

First of all, their service is expensive.

Then, they told us (after we paid, of course) that their WooCommerce integration wasn't working with the latest version of WooCommerce and that their 3rd-party developper was working on it.

After some time, they announced us that they were changing of 3rd-party developpers and hence, we had to wait a little bit more because they were remaking the plugin entirely.

Note that during the months it took to sort all of this out, we were unable to use the service we paid for. Avatax was comprehensive about the problem and offered to extend our subscription period. Another surprise we've had after paying for their service... You have a time limit to use your transactions!

Avalara bills you based on a standard subscription fee plus a fee per transaction. Now you would think that the subscription fee would be something you'd pay only once to setup your account or something like this. No, at Avalara you'll be paying this fee every year, on top of the fees per transaction and fees per tax remitted in each jurisdiction you'll be paying. There are fees everywhere. I couldn't believe how shadily it was explained to us before we became one of their client.

So, Avalara extend our period because it was coming to an end. Yes you read that right, one full year to address an issue essential to use their service with WooCommerce, with which they claim to integrate perfectly.

Finally, we are able to use their latest integration. However, there's a conflict with one of our plugin so it doesn't calculate taxes at all. We are redirected to WooThemes to address the issue. So basically you have that company Avalara, who develops an integration with WooCommerce by a third-party and they ask you to get help from WooTheme when their stuff doesn't work. Really simple. So we invest time into the debugging of this issue and it's not entirely clear from which plugin the conflict is coming from. We have orders coming in, our company is expending and we just can't afford anymore to spend anymore time on this.

We paid Avalara to save time and money. We've got none of these. We've lost a lot of time trying to make their service work with us, we've spent money on their subscription service and we've pretty much got nothing in return.

After explaining all of that situation to one of their representative, which seems to change everytime you contact them. Funny thing because when you log into your account there's a box where you are supposed to have an account manager which you always communicate with. Anyway... we explain to them the problem because we've received a renewal notice with a lovely bill to pay which we don't want to pay because, well, it's been a year and a half we've been trying to use their service and it just doesn't work.

We have another company with a much more simpler platform kicking off in a few weeks so we're asking if maybe it would be possible to extend our period again to use it on this other company. The only answer we've had is that they could cancel our account and that they wouldn't be able to refund us anything.

Huzza.

What a complete waste of time and money.

Stay away from this company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not consider Avalara AvaTax if you want to use it with a WooCommerce store.

None of our tax problems were solved. Benefits? I wish.

Avalara AvaTax review by Executive Sponsor in Primary/Secondary Education
Executive Sponsor in Primary/Secondary Education

"Poor service"

What do you like best?

Standard tax API, just like you can get from Sovos, CCH, and Vertex. Nothing special.

Only reason we are with them is because they integrated with our shopping cart.

What do you dislike?

Same issue escalated 4 time, never received a response from anyone. It is common to have bumps during an implementation, but our included change of version two times, late notice (only given 2 hours) to provide returns authentication information by deadline, and 4 repeat emails to Sales Rep and Customer Account Manager yielded no reply. Totally unacceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for service, not your pick. If you are looking for the marketing engine that has api/integration partnerships with a lot of other applications, they are your pick.

sales tax. Increased costs.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"Avalara AvaTax saves time and takes the headache out of sales taxes."

What do you like best?

Once Avalara is set up, you can let it go and forget about it until month end. I don't have to worry about changing tax rates through out the US. As long as you code your products correctly and have Avalara set up to check tax rates in the correct states, you can breath easy knowing you are charging the correct sales tax amounts.

What do you dislike?

If you are growing quickly, be aware that the pricing is based on volume. If you are growing, you will need to upgrade to a higher tier and their will be a change in price and an upgrade fee. Also, the connectors to POS, ERP, or ecommerce sites can get pricey. I had a quote to connect to NetStuite for $3,000 a month. That is nearly the price I am paying for my entire ERP system! Also, Avalara does not connect with Amazon at this time, so if you sell on Amazon, there are going to be manual processes to get those transactions into Avalara for tax return completion.

We have been able to grow from sales in our home state to having nexus in 30 states without adding any account staff. We spend a couple of hours a month tying out sales tax and review state return amounts, but less time to review for 30 states then we were spending for manually doing the sales tax return in our home state.

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Financial Services

"Tax Compliance"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a use tax tool that can be utilized to remit use tax on purchases. This comes in handy for contractors with a tax-free inventory.

What do you dislike?

The rates are not always correct based upon the zip code. We constantly find tax rates that are incorrect when reconciling data. Also, it is up to the user to set up the correct type of tax; i.e. if you are an out-of-state business in New Mexico, then you must set yourself up to collect at the flat rate. We have a few clients that have over-collected tax by using the rates for an in-state business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you set up your state profiles correctly as far as in-state verses out-of-state vendors so you will be filing the correct tax return and collect at the correct rates. Avalara does not provide guidance for setup.

Tax compliance across all US state and local jurisdictions. Every state is different with regards to sales and use tax compliance and rates, so it is good to have a single tool when you have nexus across the US>

Avalara AvaTax review by Renae B.
Renae B.

"Avalara AvaTax/AvaCerts"

What do you like best?

Once you have your products set up with tax codes and you get your customers set up with the appropriate exemption certificates, Avalara really does all the work for you.

What do you dislike?

They use an interface to send data from the certs portal to the admin portal. This has caused problems for us on numerous occasions. We've been told several times over the past 2 years they are working to combine everything into one portal, but we have yet to see that happen. I would say 99% of the frustrations we experience are related to the interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the money and have a tax consulting firm analyze your products to ensure you are using the correct tax does and assist you in determining nexus. Use Avalara's tax services to register your company in new states. We did about three quarters of ours in-house (i.e. I did them) and the rest were done by Avalara. It was well worth the money to have Avalara do this for us. I can't even begin to add up the amount of time spent searching for registration forms online and then further combing through pages of form instructions.

We are a med device manufacturer. We brought on a division that sells consumables to end users, thus creating sales tax liability. We'd tried another product early on and found it wasn't suitable to our particular business needs. Namely, it did not contain applicable tax codes for our products. We were also doing the returns in-house at that time. After implementing Avalara, we feel confident our sales are being accurately taxed and we are utilizing their services for return filing as well. We were looking to hire someone specifically to manage the returns, so this saved us a significant amount of money.

Avalara AvaTax review by Bradley J.
Bradley J.

"AvaTax saves us a LOT of time and effort"

What do you like best?

The automatic calculation of the CORRECT tax at the instant of printing an invoice is a very comforting feeling. It is second only to the fact that we now write one "check" at the end of each month and ALL of our tax filings are done correctly - guaranteed. Again, the peace of mind is wonderful.

What do you dislike?

Not much.... Their portal was a little disjointed at first, but has come a long way and is actually much easier to use now..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to them. Depending upon the number of states you have nexus in and the number of invoices you are generating, this could be a life saver for some businesses..

Previously we knew we were probably not calculating taxes right in some states like IL and CA where the tax rules and multitude of tax rates are so complex. Also, having to maintain all the records and reports needed for filing returns was a headache we no longer have. We have freed up at least 50 hours / month that we now put to better use.

Avalara AvaTax review by Mike P.
Mike P.

"Sales Tax Reporting Made Easy"

What do you like best?

Ability to manage sales tax reporting for multiple companies on a national basis.

What do you dislike?

Sales tax consulting is not supplied with the service, or at least to my knowledge. I have to rely on a third party for sales tax consulting and advice. In addition, I am required to pay in advance for my annual service and it is sometimes hard to predict what our sales volume will be a year out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avalara is a rapidly growing company and it is sometimes difficult to get support after implementation is complete. I recommend establishing a good relationship with your account manager so they can help you if you ever need it.

Managing tax rates, logging transactions and reporting sales tax in multiple states and jurisdictions for multiple companies. AvaTax allows me to calculate my sales tax obligation, track all of my transactions and provides sales tax reporting services.

Avalara AvaTax review by Jason S.
Jason S.

"Saves me time, and money. "

What do you like best?

The integration directly into my ERP (Dynamics AX & GP) makes sales taxes by location seemless.

What do you dislike?

Wish it could incorporate more functionality with location setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Contact directly rather than through a VAR.

I was able to downsize one sales tax accountant. I've also passed 7 state audits with ZERO penalties or fines. I could not say that when I employed someone full time to run the same functionality.

Avalara AvaTax review by Mike M.
Mike M.

"AvaTax Makes It Easy."

What do you like best?

It just works...set it and forget it. I don't worry about AvaTax at all because my quotes are rated with the appropriate tax rate automatically.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of anything that I don't like about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The company was easy to work with and they help me get started. Smooth sailing ever since.

Ensuring that our quotes get the appropriate tax information on them,

Avalara AvaTax review by Lee S.
Lee S.

"Great way to stay up on tax requirements without being a Tax expert."

What do you like best?

AvaTax was easy to connect to Magento. I especially like that we do not have to be experts in sales in every state and county we makes sales in. The customer support groups has been awesome. They respond quickly and provide guidance in a variety of areas.

What do you dislike?

The search for a specific addresses has some qwirks. We can find an address in Google maps but when we search in AvaTax, it cannot be found. We have to find some address close by and use it to get the tax rate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

AvaTax has been a great partner in getting our new line of business up and running. The support is great and I would be hard pressed to find a better solution.

AvaTax is solving our need to apply sales tax to invoices for e-commerce business. We have been able to expand our business without bringing in additional headcount.

Avalara AvaTax review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Don't use their free API!"

What do you like best?

Their site looks nice, they have a free version of the API (which is actually not accurate).

What do you dislike?

The free API that they use as a "lead generation tool" has two problems. First of all, it is not updated on any reasonable schedule. We made a mistake of relying on it and the CA tax rate was off for over 1 month now. The support reps tell you that this product is not really supported or guaranteed and I should just move to a paid version. Which I am fine with except there is no upgrade path from free API to a paid service. So now we need to re-invest into the development of a different API integration and abandon everything that was built originally.

Having accurate tax would be great if it only worked.

Avalara AvaTax review by Steve F.
Steve F.

"Avalara is the SIMPLEST state sales tax tool for ecommerce "

What do you like best?

SIMPLE. EASY. FAST.

Avalara makes it easy to monitor, track, calculate, and charge the correct sales tax for every municipality and county that you can imagine.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, the only frustrating thing is that we NEED Avalara! it would be so much simpler if the various municiipal structures didn't have to leverage their own tax rates and it was a simple flat tax across all boundaries. Alas, the need for Avalara is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just consider the costs of NOT using Avalara --- get your employees revved up to monitor every taxable entity in the state, make sure you cross check all rates for any changes, update those rates in your systems, and then deploy them instantly. Oh -- and then be ready to do it again in 30 days. UGH.

By leveraging Avalara, we don't have to monitor 88 counties and hundreds of municipal zones every month. There are no new changes that we have to log, and no overlapping territories that we have to anticipate. We've saved countless man-hours by not having to police the tax rate structures (confirming old and updating new) just to be "compliant" on tax codes.

Avalara review by Administrator

"CertCapture has a lot of promise"

What do you like best?

Is the ability to run campaigns for large amounts of needed certificates.

What do you dislike?

There is no database just for storage of expired certificates. You should have this to be able to store and see historical information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that when your certificates expire, if you do not download them and remove them from the system you will be charged for each and every one of them.

We are able to have certificates quickly on hand for the multiple states in which we do business and track the status of each customer's certificate.

Avalara AvaTax review by Bruce B.
Bruce B.

"Great Product - Fun Company"

What do you like best?

I like its automatic and completely accurate tax collection that integrates with our ecommerce site.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. There is absolutely nothing to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it!

We have nexus in 11 states and needed a way to accurately collect sales tax, report tax filings and ensure that the tax rates were up to date.

Avalara AvaTax review by Dan M.
Dan M.

"It works well"

What do you like best?

It's set and forget for the most part. It has some advanced features like certificate management, but if you want to actually store certificates, you have to pay extra.

What do you dislike?

It's expensive with lots of upsell options

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth evaluating, but it's not the only game in town anymore.

Sales tax compliance.

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"Helpful and convenient"

What do you like best?

The easibility to use Avatax on each invoice, and being able to reconcile tax at the end of each month.

What do you dislike?

The means in which Avalara takes to capture the transaction and how many transactions it uses to calculate taxes sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Avalara if you have multiple states requiring sales tax payments. It will save you a lot of frustration.

No business problems. It resolves the headaches of trying to manually calculate taxes for every state and keeps up up to date with state and county rates.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Printing
Administrator in Printing

"AvaTax from Avalara is a must have"

What do you like best?

AvaTax figures all sales taxes out for our operators automatically, quickly and quietly in the background while we are doing our thousands and thousands of sales orders. The reporting their online website offers gives me a simple way to check into individual transactions and verify a months worth of sales and taxes.

What do you dislike?

The annual price increases have been a little steep and it would be nice to have a different pricing method, but it still within the value we pay for the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose AvaTax! I wouldn't do anything without it. It is a must have. It has saved my company the hassle of manually entering tax rates in our software and saving the risk of audit and penalties if something is entered wrong or not updated. AvaTax is great since it is automatically updated with the latest sales tax changes. They also do webinars all the time not just on their products but often times to help us run our business with former auditors hosting the webinars.

The software allows us to stay in compliance and reduce the risk of an audit and potential liabilities and penalties since sales taxes are figured automatically for each transaction. That brings us great peace of mind.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Machinery
Administrator in Machinery

"Automated, hands off maintenance of ever changing tax laws"

What do you like best?

I don't have to worry about compliance with ever changing tax laws and rates. Doing this in-house would not only require an experienced person spending a significant amount of time, but there still would not be that comfort level that we had caught everything.

What do you dislike?

Better search-ability about exemption laws and regulations. Example, what State allows a drop ship exemption without a party being registered in the State. Example, what States allow for a third party exemption certificate (similar to drop ship, but customers customer is in the State and is registered). Example, which States allow for a multi-jurisdiction exemption certificate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it. It is worth the subscription price especially if automated through connection to your ERP package. The time and head ache of compliance is drastically reduced.

Continued expansion with presence in additional States allows easy start up. Exemption certificate handling, what's acceptable in all the various States.

We have benefited by not requiring in-house expertise to try and track all of the tax changes down to the State, county, city, special jurisdiction level, giving assurance that we are compliant.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Wholesale
Administrator in Wholesale

"One of few choices for tax software"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that daily users do not have the ability to override customer taxability as with our previous software. The system looks for an active exempt certificate and if none is on file will tax the transaction. I also like that they system looks at the line item to determine if that item is taxable or not.

What do you dislike?

I am not happy with some of the customer service I have received. I expected more assistance with implementation, professional advice on set up scenarios etc.

I have also experienced issues with transactions in states with a single article tax that I still have been unable to get resolved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carefully consider the type of business needs you have. Single state processing and POS systems should be fine. Our business has multiple types of business some of which are not supported by Avalara.

One benefit is that I no longer have to spend days filing all the tax returns. We are registered in 42 states to collect tax which means there are a lot of returns to file. Unfortunately, I still have to file Alabama myself due to the nature of our business and Avalara's inability to support part of our business.

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Cosmetics
User in Cosmetics

"Use of Avalara Tax"

What do you like best?

AvaTax helped us with our Ecomm. When we started the project, they were very helpful to us and guided us thru the implementation of the sales tax in the whole US of A. The customer service is great too.

Report formats are very detailed and has been very accurate so far. We do not have problems with remitting the sales tax on EComm sales.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really...there is a little problem with printing reports in Avalara. Importing the database into Excel is easy but printing the reports is a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If they are seriously looking at implementing On line sales (Ecommerce), consult with Avalara and they will make it easy for you and will help you through the whole process. After sales service too is very accommodating and will help you with any issues you may have on the implementation of the sales & use tax.

Registration for NEXUS and remitting taxes to different states. Avalara was very willing to help us with this when we started Ecomm.

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Higher Education

"Why Avalara AvaTax Works For Us"

What do you like best?

Avalara's AvaTax product just works. We have an eCommerce site where customers around the country can place orders and have their purchases shipped to them. Avalara ensures that the appropriate sales tax is charged to the order based on the address.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike. It is cost effective, the assessed tax is very accurately calculated, and it is never a source of customer questions about their bill.

Avalara provides the solution to the problem of charging the right tax in the right town of the state we are shipping to - there are many complexities in tax law that need to be considered when determining nexus and which local taxes apply in specific situations. With Avalara's engine behind our ordering site, I am confident that the right tax will be charged every time. And that makes tax remittance to each state a much easier process on a monthly basis.

Avalara AvaTax review by Executive Sponsor in Machinery
Executive Sponsor in Machinery

"Makes Tax Calculation and Filing Simple"

What do you like best?

I love the automated tax calculations based on parameters that we have set up with the relationship between Avatax and our ERP system. Also, the filing service and resources to clear tax notices received has made our sales tax compliance so much more manageable. It is worth every penny.

What do you dislike?

I don't have many complaints. Like any process, you are still going to have exception situations that you deal with. But on the whole, I've been very happy with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely contact a consultant and have them walk you through all the details. Ensure that your ERP system has been supported in the past by Avalara. If it hasn't, it's not an end to the process, but it will likely make your implementation process longer so you have to maintain realistic expectations of project completion.

Ensuring that we are sales tax compliant in all states in which we do business, ensuring that our sales tax calculations are accurate and up to date. We've found efficiency and accuracy gains across the board.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Wholesale
Administrator in Wholesale

"My experience so far with Avalara"

What do you like best?

Nothing so far. It calculates tax for you at a very expensive service rate.

What do you dislike?

They have a bundle called Avatax. They charge you for every avatax calls you make.

The software is written to make as much avatax calls as they can get to maximize their profit.

I had a sample order with 0 amount 0 tax. Avatax made 104 total tax calls. Their website to track API usage is broken. At the end of the month, they email us and congratulate us that we went 4k pass our limit. They suggested us to upgrade our tier to avoid excess charges.

I was shocked because we get like 10 orders a day. How is that the exponential growth they were seeing?

I went into my system to check their implementation. It seems like they were making avatax calls on everything even all the sample orders. Avalara told me that they take zero responsibility how it was set up. Then asked us if we want to upgrade our tier. ...

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not a bad solution, but if implemented correctly.

Just make sure you don't have Avalara implement it for you.

At the end of the day, they don't care about their customers.

If you do choose them, tread cautiously.

Small automation, but not worth the cost.

Avalara AvaTax review by Jim F.
Jim F.

"Excellent, it is a great colution for companies that conduct sales in many states. "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and accuracy of calculations. The integration into the SST process is especially valuable.

What do you dislike?

We have not had any issues with the Avalara Product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try.

We conduct business via an internet service in all 50 states. We decided to collect and remit sales tax, and this task was impossible without the use of a professional sales tax service. We are also participants in the SST, and for these states, Avalara calculates, files and pays our sales from our account for no charge. Lastly, we do not want to establish nexus in any state, so by using Avalara, we comply with their nexus status.

Avalara AvaTax review by Brandy M.
Brandy M.

"It is very easy to understand and use"

What do you like best?

The website is very efficient to use and helps so much when taxes are due.

What do you dislike?

it is hard to get a hold of the account manager

it provides all taxes to be submitted and help reduce the workload in the office.

Avalara AvaTax review by Terry P.
Terry P.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Up to date tax rates along with the tax breakdown.

What do you dislike?

Taxes are calculated by the zip code in an address so if there is an error and you import a spreadsheet with say 100 items it does not tell you what item has the incorrect information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product to give you accurate up to date tax rates with the state breakdown as well.

I calculate taxes on invoices. Avalara gives you the current up to date tax rates.

Avalara AvaTax review by Liz G.
Liz G.

"Avalara makes sales tax easy"

What do you like best?

The fact that I do not have to try to keep up with all of the sales tax changes which can be overwhelming and extremely time consuming. It is so helpful to have a service that handles all of that for you.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes trying to correct an invoice can take multiple tries and sometimes having to walk away and try it again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering using this product do not hesitate.

The benefits are phenomenal because there are just so many jurisdictions just in California alone.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Saving so much time and effort so now we can focus on other things more."

What do you like best?

My favorite part of using Avatax is that they are comprehensive. We no longer have to collect the data and upload it into a program or try to figure it out on our own. They figure the tax on each order, create reports at the end of every month and then file with each state and locality which we are registered with.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I dislike. Sometimes sorting out issues can be a challenge, but that is true of any program.

Now instead of taking a full week for the filing of taxes it only takes us a day. The accuracy of our filings and taxation of items is much better now and this makes our customers much happier.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Consumer Goods
Administrator in Consumer Goods

"My Avatax review "

What do you like best?

The overall concept is great. I really don't have much else to say

What do you dislike?

The upgrades on Cert Capture. I really dislike not being able to index - add another state to an existing certificate. We have the re-upload the certificate. I didn't like that they considered certificates expired after 3 years and I wasn't made aware of this. Some times its' difficult to get through to customer service due to the numerous prompts or wait time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended Avlara to a total of 5 people two did sign up.

We have nexus in over 20 states and drop ship to end users, the tax application or tax waiver has been very beneficial for us.

Avalara AvaTax review by Carla R.
Carla R.

"Avalara makes taxing much easier"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that we don't have to worry about charging the right tax rate. Rates are changing all the time and we are guaranteed that the rates we are charging our customers are up to date.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say there is nothing I dislike about Avalara.

We are going through many sales tax audits currently and when the states realize that we use Avalara for taxing purposes it makes our job that much easier.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Manager of Accounting"

What do you like best?

Accuracy, ease of use. Makes doing sales tax returns easy. It is virtually seamless. Runs in the background and calculates the tax accurately for every transaction.

What do you dislike?

New Cert Module is harder to edit than previous module. Previously could edit states where customer is tax exempt, also wish we could have a way to record if a state will take another state's exemption certificate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product takes all the effort out of sales tax calculation.

Virtually audit proof, Previously we had audits where we owed large amounts, now we have had $0 audits because the tax is calculated accurately. The reports that are generated are easy to use and to provide to an auditor.

Avalara AvaTax review by Jana K.
Jana K.

"Great company, makes our life much easier"

What do you like best?

AvaTax is a great product/service that makes our life much easier. We don't have to worry about dealing with all state forms, watching to submit them in time and their support is great - always promptly responding and solving issues.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would recommend to change is maybe a bit more user friendly webpage

It helps us being on track with all our sales tax deadlines, no more penalty fees for being late

Avalara AvaTax review by Denise C.
Denise C.

"A time-saver"

What do you like best?

Eliminates the need for manual calculation, easy report export to Excel or PDF

What do you dislike?

Any adjustments made to a transaction takes 6 hours to update

We are able to file timely sales tax returns for multiple states much faster and more accurately than if we were calculating everything manually. Tax rates are automatically updated for us, eliminating the need to research them each time a return is due. The clear benefit is time saved!

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Painful to use but even worse customer service."

What do you like best?

When it is properly configured, Avalara is able to accurately and quickly pull in correct sales tax information per county/city/state.

What do you dislike?

Implementation support was non-existent. Customer support is the worst I have ever experienced with a SaaS company. When issues with our account manager were brought to the attention of her director and we requested a new account manager, the director sent the complaint to the account manager, who left a hostile email in response. Only "support" offered was access to a pre-recorded webinar for $750, even though our office is headquartered 20 minutes from Avalara.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get everything in writing if you are left with no choice but to purchase. Otherwise, find any other product.

Automatic tax calculations in Salesforce. When working properly, the tax calculations are accurate.

Avalara AvaTax review by Nael Q.
Nael Q.

"AvaTax Review"

What do you like best?

User friendliness, ease at which information can be accessed and presented and downloaded

What do you dislike?

being logged out after being idle no more that 5 minutes at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend AvaTax over any other tax software. Working for other companies i have experienced working with other tax softwares and i find AvaTax is has more advantages to offer.

Transaction processing and sales and use tax compliance-filing tax returns

Avalara AvaTax review by Elaine W.
Elaine W.

"Avatax is easy to use and their staff are very friendly and helpful"

What do you like best?

All of the state and local updates are automatic. I don't have to worry about staying on top of it any more.

What do you dislike?

I would like it more if the reports were available within GP.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software will save you a lot of headaches.

I am now confident that I am charging my customer the correct amount of taxes.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Administrator and User for over 10 years"

What do you like best?

They have the best system we have looked at. We've looked at many systems over the last 10 years, seeing if there is something better. And we haven't found it. It's very cost effective for our organization.

What do you dislike?

Haven't found anything that I really dislike regarding the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask lots of questions. They have been very forthcoming with us regarding what they can and cannot do.

With the ever changing sales/use tax in the 50 states, it is very tough to manage. Also, managing exemption certificates was becoming unmanageable. Avalara has helped fix that.

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"Avalara Sales Tax Suite"

What do you like best?

Our company is in the process of integrating Avalara to calculate tax on our daily sales orders.

What do you dislike?

There nothing not to like. Software is user friendly and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Avalara for your tax calculations! Software is always updated with the most recent tax rates.

We tax in several states. It was a problem manually entering tax codes because tax was easily overlooked and orders were being invoiced without tax. Avalara goes out, verify's the taxable state and sets the rate.

"Mixed reviews"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to stay on top of jurisdictions within states. Our sales tax is always correct. They have good support for setup.

What do you dislike?

It's soooo slow. It slows down your processes and will reconfigure after everything you do which takes even longer. If anything goes wrong, it's not them so don't even call.

Recommendations to others considering the product

consider how much time you're saving enterring your own tax rates vs. many seconds lost per order entered & invoiced

Our sales tax is easier to stay on top of.

Avalara AvaTax review by Elizabeth C.
Elizabeth C.

"Avalara Fan"

What do you like best?

The seamless integration and the reliability of the return filing each month.

What do you dislike?

It can be tough to get in touch with a real tax pro for those tough questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and research and listen to your implementation specialist. They are invaluable!

Staying in compliance in 48 states.

"Makes my job easier!"

What do you like best?

Takes guesswork out of tax calculation. With additional features also makes certificates and tax filing much easier.

What do you dislike?

Can be a bit pricey, and tier structures aren't particularly flexible.

The issue of time spent on clerical processes for tax calculation, collection, remittance and filing.

Avalara AvaTax review by Keith S.
Keith S.

"Avalara has never let the business down. They are always correct in sales tax calculations"

What do you like best?

Avalara always keeps the sales tax rates up to date and informs us of any changes or problems. I would recommend Avalara to anyone.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything to dislike about Avalara

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the best. Use Avalara

Accurate sales tax for every state in the USA

Avalara AvaTax review by susan w.
susan w.

"Avalara Poor Response to big problem"

What do you like best?

When it works it works. Today is not that day.

What do you dislike?

Poor response from Customer support. Have had a ticket in for 24 hours. Told the support person had training and is just now looking at the ticket. Our account manager is worthless.

sales tax

Avalara AvaTax review by Derrick S.
Derrick S.

"Sales Tax Integration and handling "

What do you like best?

Ability to get answers to questions and the core usefulness of this product

What do you dislike?

was initially difficult to figure out what we needed but after talking to support we where able to determine what API calls to make to take care of the requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product we have used it with lots of clients to meet the need of collecting tax and managing it without an extra load on staff to do it.

Client using it to take care of tax collection and reconciliation

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Management Consulting
Administrator in Management Consulting

"Not the best customer service"

What do you like best?

Avalara accurately and reliably filed sales tax returns to multiple states. There systems captured our sales activity and the reporting capability from their systems is good.

What do you dislike?

The account services when there are problems and issues is poor. Their invoicing is confusing and the account rep was never able to explain it. In fact, I never had an issue that the account rep was able to resolve without multiple communications and confusion.

We needed to file sales tax returns in numerous states.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Avalara Avatax review"

What do you like best?

Avatax works great with Netsuite, is up-to-date on the ever-changing sales tax laws, and generates the monthly reports I need to prepare the returns.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. The pricing can be a bit high if you allow to them to do the sales tax returns on your behalf.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works great with Netsuite

We do business in almost 50 states and staying on top of the tax laws/rates can be quite burdensome. With Avatax, the worries are no longer there.

Avalara AvaTax review by Larry T.
Larry T.

"Great Indirect Tax Software Suiter"

What do you like best?

The ability to track exemption certificates, conduct research and be proactive about tax compliance.

What do you dislike?

Interface can be more user friendly and the search function needs to be more robust.

Tracking taxability of various items, monthly/quarterly returns.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"great sales tax software"

What do you like best?

very easy to manage nexus jurisdictions; good online tax calculator; good tax breakdown

What do you dislike?

could make it easier to create custom tax rules

Recommendations to others considering the product

need to learn how to create custom rules

sales tax control and collection

Avalara AvaTax review by Alyssa W.
Alyssa W.

"Makes Sales Tax Simple!"

What do you like best?

It automatically tracks the correct sales tax based on shipping details in my Quickbooks Online Invoice

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system doesn't connect properly

Every county has different taxes and they change throughout the year. Calculating it by myself one year was a nightmare!

Avalara AvaTax review by Victor C.
Victor C.

"Avalara Sales Tax Solution"

What do you like best?

Painless integration, easy to maintain, great exemption certificate management tool.

What do you dislike?

Avalara tax return filing services have been inaccurate and late with a couple of filings.

Ensures accurate and compliant sales tax collection and filing.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"Easy state tax complaince software"

What do you like best?

The ease with how Avalara integrates with Quickbook and Saas Optics

What do you dislike?

Not applicable at this time. Nothing to add here

It has really made collecting and remitting sales tax easy for us

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Avalara Avatax Review"

What do you like best?

The ease of the software and integration.

What do you dislike?

Adjusting invoice due to tax-exempt certificate after the period is closed.

Sales tax calculation and remittance would be the biggest problem we are solving.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Time & Resource Saver"

What do you like best?

The customer service and knowledge of the Avalara staff is first rate

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate a more pro-active approach to understanding locations where we need to be registered

We send invoices to nearly each and every state in the U.S. and keeping track of all the tax and regulatory changes would be onerous. We have the benefit of cleaner sales tax audits - and there will be audits!!

Avalara AvaTax review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"There are better solutions than this"

What do you like best?

The system works, but that is about the extent of the positive comments I can leave

What do you dislike?

The Avalara experience of client base has been as poor as I could possibly imagine. Unnecessary updates with a refusal to refund, high turnover in account managers, and an overall lack of basic customer service. There are much better solutions available, and would recommend using an alternative.

Avalara claims to solve sales tax compliance problems, which is does, but not without adding a host of other issues.

Avalara review by Heather N.
Heather N.

"Avalara Returns"

What do you like best?

They do a great job of automating the returns when there are many jurisdictions

What do you dislike?

There are some tax laws that there has been a slight lag on with updating to conform on the Avalara side.

A ton of saved time as well as tax risk.

"Avalara Ava Tax"

What do you like best?

We like the fact that they take care of paying the sales tax for our company. We are registered in about 35 states, so far.

What do you dislike?

Their training consists of check the help button. We needed to know at what point we should register for sales tax in the other states. Their answers were very vague. I don't find them helpful at all.

Nexus

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"Good service but with a high price"

What do you like best?

Very accurate sales tax processor and up to date with tax laws and rates. You can rest assured your sales tax returns will be completed correctly.

What do you dislike?

This is a very expensive sales tax solution. If you file in most states it is almost a s expensive as hiring an employee to do the work.

Sales tax compliance

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Computer Software

"Sales Tax Specialist"

What do you like best?

Ease and flexibility of sales tax reporting.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is often slow and then not very helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is the best, just issues with customer support, understand they are slow to respond and their response is not always timely.

Not having to maintain all the tax tables internally. Time savings.

Avalara review by User

"Avalara use of sales tax"

What do you like best?

They can handle all your sales tax needs. We use them to also file out Avalara Returns each time a state is needed to be completed.

What do you dislike?

They do a great job and have great training and webinars, so not much to dislike

Filing out returns appropriately and on time.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Chemicals
Administrator in Chemicals

"Avalara tax review"

What do you like best?

how it stores all info on the cloud and how it pulls the data from the cloud as well

What do you dislike?

entering all the data into Avalara is time consuming

Not having to credit and rebill because of sales tax; saving on time

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The reports are easy to use and can edit whatever range you want

What do you dislike?

Some reports have too much information, when i only need some and can't edit what i need

Taxes on invoices for different states.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"Not Necessary for Small Companies"

What do you like best?

Cloud Based, and that it linked directly in with the current Avalara products we were using.

What do you dislike?

The maintenance steps of the database were too cumbersome for the value that it added

We decided to house certs on our own and did away with this service.

Avalara AvaTax review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"Client focused Vendor!!"

What do you like best?

awesome way to take care of tax woes easily - company cares about its customers!

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything at this time about the avalara product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Confirm use case but their tool is robust and should meet your needs!

Tax for North America for a Salesforce CPQ Client.

Avalara AvaTax review by User

"Avalara Tax - Tax problems solution"

What do you like best?

Solves tax calculations for multi state sales.

What do you dislike?

I have very little complaints for our current use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avalara is a fantastic tool. We will continue to use them.

Calculation of sales tax for online sales with clients in multiple states.

Avalara AvaTax review by Administrator

"Great help with tax returns"

What do you like best?

We love the ability to solve our tax issues with Avalara AvaTax.

What do you dislike?

It takes a little time to get use to the liability worksheet and fixing errors.

We no longer worry about our tax liability!

Avalara AvaTax review by User in Internet

"Tax Review"

What do you like best?

Makes it easy to understand sales tax implications in brazil and india

What do you dislike?

It is pretty easy to use so I do not think there is much to change

Makes it easy to understand sales tax implications in brazil and india

Avalara AvaTax review by Project Manager
Project Manager

"Very responsive to customer questions"

What do you like best?

Customer service figuring out tax rates and integration with B1

What do you dislike?

There wasn't anything to dislike about them.

Avalara AvaTax review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Only way to manage multistate tax copliance"

What do you like best?

Company undertands the tax environmentxxxxx

What do you dislike?

Portal is not always tthe easiest to navigatexxxxxxxxx

Avalara AvaTax review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Good product to relieve sales tax burden"

What do you like best?

The support team was great during implementation and laid out the steps clearly. UI was fairly good and intuitive. The product itself is great for taking the sales tax burden of calculation and filing off your hands.

What do you dislike?

Sales tax in general, but the product is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once your sales tax requirements reach a certain level of complexity this is a great product to make sales tax a non-issue and handle them effectively and efficiently.

Learn more about Avalara

Avalara Videos

Learning about Avalara?

* We monitor all Avalara reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.