AWS OpsWorks

4.0
(20 reviews)

AWS OpsWorks is a configuration management service that provides managed instances of Chef and Puppet, which are automation platforms that allow you to use code to automate the configurations of your servers.

Work for AWS OpsWorks?

Learning about AWS OpsWorks?

Compare AWS OpsWorks to Similar Solutions

AWS OpsWorks Reviews

Showing 20 AWS OpsWorks reviews
AWS OpsWorks review by User in Internet

"I can't wait to get ride of OpsWorks"

What do you like best?

It's easy enough to create/destroy EC2 instances for an existing application

What do you dislike?

We have a massive legacy application which is deployed through with Chef Recipes and OpsWorks by Jenkins. No one in the company can wrap their head around these recipes and we all just hope that it keeps working until we can migrate our deployment infrastructure to ECS/Fargate with CodeDeploy.

50% of our deploys fail because of an error in one EC2 instance which didn't affect a dozen other identical instances. Sometimes the logs are available. Sometimes their not. I'll admit there's a chance we're using the system wrong but when you intend on migrating towards a system which actually accommodates auto-scaling it's hard to invest the resources into learning a technology that we'll soon be replacing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at ECS/Fargate instead.

We solve the problem of deploying an application in production with a seamless user experience.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about AWS OpsWorks
AWS OpsWorks review by Marco  M.
Marco M.

"Opsworks review"

What do you like best?

The way to integer chef recipes into to the aws environment

What do you dislike?

permissions, sometimes is very hard and messy to give permission to users to a cerain Stacks

Recommendations to others considering the product

be more frinfly to use, sometimes is hard the UI, and should be an option to see the SSH keys that are hostes in the Application, i had a issue with this some time ago, then I asked to AWS support for where to review and check all the SSH keys and fingerprints and they didn't resolve my problem, then i figured out the keys were on the applicacion area, and i have to solve my problem by myself, other than that the support was very good.

we have pretty much all of our app in opsworks so all the deployments are hosted here

What Configuration Management solution do you use?

"Mainly Chef"

What do you like best?

Chef allows infrastructure as code (coding scripts to provision servers and apps instead of manual job).

Chef is coded in ruby, an easy language to learn and a large community around it (both for ruby and chef) to help learn from existing tutorials and find questions on boards.

What do you dislike?

Opsworks adds a lot of chef recipes and templates that can not be overwritten, complicated to work around.

Need more information about what exactly is performed by opsworks itself and what is left to the sys admin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Chef 12 stacks, giving much more control to administrators.

Take some times before hands to learn chef itself, while learning is not difficult there is still a lot to learn, chef is a quite powerfull provisionning system with multiple side systems (kitchen, knife) to learn. Doing so would avoid quite a lot of rookie mistakes to be fixed / refactored later.

Repeatability, predictability and speed in provisionning servers.

AWS OpsWorks review by Shayna L.
Shayna L.

"consistent amazon quality that performs well"

What do you like best?

steps are clearly outlined and the interface is organized in a coherent manner; you have the backing of the Amazon brand and a team of people that will support you

What do you dislike?

there are some additional fields that I feel I don't need; this adds clutter to the space and can feel overwhelming. pricing is higher for this service than others

Recommendations to others considering the product

make sure you are working with a rep that you feel comfortable with; you will be working with this person to understand all aspects of the campaign and want to ensure a good relationship

the ad ops process is streamlined and easily managed across ecommerce campaigns

AWS OpsWorks review by Nicholas H.
Nicholas H.

"perfect guided DevOps experience"

What do you like best?

OpsWorks makes it incredibly easy to manage, monitor, and maintain the full stack.

What do you dislike?

In our implementation there are some inherent limitations surrounding software version dependencies (e.g., Chef, etc.) but that’s not really a legitimate complaint. There isn’t much to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! There are better third-party solutions for more complex use cases, but OpsWorks coveres 90% of the challenges really well.

OpsWorks provides rigid control of a product solution with a small and busy team.

AWS OpsWorks review by User in Internet

"Opsworks play a significant role in our architecture"

What do you like best?

The web client makes it easy to configure, deploy and manage various apps and instances without having touch the command line. Scaling instances to serve varying levels of traffic and process batches of background jobs is quite seamless.

What do you dislike?

There hasn't been much to dislike in our experience so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use stacks to set up multiple environments (beta, staging, production)

We are currently managing multiple layers of our website's architecture using Opsworks. We've managed to automate the configuration, deployment and scaling of our apps/instances to save us time and money.

AWS OpsWorks review by Administrator

"Opsworks has changed my life"

What do you like best?

The auto healing, if opsworks detects that one of my instances is unhealthy it will stop it restart it and re-run my setup and configure setups. Several times this has happened overnight. My instance went down and came back up without my intervention.

What do you dislike?

the AWS engineers seem to add new features to opsworks as afterthoughts. The newest version of the amazon AMI was close to being released and we still had not gotten the previous release.

I was able to treat my instances more like cattle instead of pets. As new instance types are released I can upgrade without too many problems.

AWS OpsWorks review by Santosh R.
Santosh R.

"It's service"

What do you like best?

Instances offered by AWS is really good and the best cloud service providers as far as my knowledge

What do you dislike?

There is a lot to know to handle the AWS cloud and I don't consider it as dislike, but something I should be improving myself

We are using AWS for our company production and storing data in S3

AWS OpsWorks review by Administrator

"Can be more enterprise focused"

What do you like best?

I like not having to manage chef server myself and underlying OS

What do you dislike?

I have several security requirements I must have installed on any EC2 instances I run in my VPC. OpsWorks removes all of these installs every time amazon does an update of the underlying OS. This requires me to re-install my required software.

Helps to install middleware and hardening on the rest of my EC2 resources.

AWS OpsWorks review by User in Internet

"Best product in today's market"

What do you like best?

Easy to manage large infrastructure deployments and this service automates deployment, operational tasks and configurations for our system distributed applications. Very useful product in my professional life so far.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any dislike about this product. Which is very great thing about AWS Ops work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent product for stress free like

large infrastructure deployments and automatic configuration management.

AWS OpsWorks review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Best for DevOps!"

What do you like best?

This has been one of the best features of AWS where you can spin up configuration management tools - DevOps tools and set it up easly on AWS

What do you dislike?

I have nothing to dislike about their services

Configuration management using puppet and chef has helped the company eliminate manual configuration setups and provided ease to our IT management team

AWS OpsWorks review by User in Higher Education

"Aws review "

What do you like best?

The entire AWS system is very user friendly and works well for someone without extensive computer knowledge.

What do you dislike?

Up until this time, the only thing that I do not like is the lag time which is most likely more due to my internet connection.

We use AWS Ops Works as an extra storage storage service for interdepartmental communication.

AWS OpsWorks review by User

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the display and how the information is easy to find and analyze.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any complaints other than sometimes the data is slow to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time learning all of the functionalities and features

We use this to analyze our consumer data so that we may increase our profits through digital advertisements

AWS OpsWorks review by Administrator

"Opsworks used to handle user load"

What do you like best?

Easy to view running instances, easy to start / stop any when additional resources are needed.

What do you dislike?

Hard to debug when instances don't start / fail to start. Not much else I do not like

Gives the ability to scale our application to many users and handle increases / decreases in load

"Opsworks"

What do you like best?

The overall archutecture presentation of clusters, servers and virtual machines is pretty easy to use. Also the easy way to automatize one complete stack from a single repository.

What do you dislike?

The old version of chef in the standalone instances

Provide different enviroments for production, staging and development.

AWS OpsWorks review by User

"Awesome "

What do you like best?

It made my work so much easier and more efficient

What do you dislike?

I hope there is more demo videos on YouTube

I am managing my app with opswork. I like the fact that I don’t have to configure a server on my own

AWS OpsWorks review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Making Life Easy"

What do you like best?

The simple ui to work with and how easy it is to understand.

What do you dislike?

IN all actuality there isnt anything i dont like about the software.

Taking task that required several people down to 1 person

"Good for some usecases"

What do you like best?

SSH users that automatically get assigned to the instances

What do you dislike?

recipes are too complex for simpler cases

I've Several deployments of OpsWorks for a variety of scenarios. it works good for stable systems.

AWS OpsWorks review by Executive Sponsor in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Executive Sponsor in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Aws"

What do you like best?

Easy if usage,easy of deployment,Amazon's good support,

What do you dislike?

Price,the price could be better.since there are open source available now

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's good

Provides good standard methodology to manage DB,storage ECT

"OPsworks in Production"

What do you like best?

I like the automation behind opsworks.

Well integrated with chef

What do you dislike?

Not all AZ are always supported.

ALB not supported

Devops, IAAS

Learning about AWS OpsWorks?

* We monitor all AWS OpsWorks reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare AWS OpsWorks to Similar Solutions