Axure RP

Axure RP is the standard in software prototyping tools and gives you the power to quickly and easily deliver more than UI mockups.

Work for Axure RP?

Learning about Axure RP?

Axure RP Reviews

Ask Axure RP a Question
Showing 206 Axure RP reviews
Axure RP review by Dina K.
Dina K.

"Design&Prototype"

What do you like best?

There are 2 main features I like the most:

1) Ready-to-use elements for wireframing ( text input fields, images, buttons, etc)- using easy drag and drop you can build the basic wireframe in minutes;

2) Prototyping with the basic animations - very realistic, and is using the same principles that the developers will use afterwards

What do you dislike?

I couldn't find a way for creating symbols to build a design system even inside one project- so, I have to apply the style changes to each element separately. Also, the visual design options are not as wide, as, say, in Sketch

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find it even more valuable for designers who code as well, or developers with ux/ui skills- because if you build a design properly in Axure you are basically done with coding as well, as it lets you extract code out of your design

I am able to build the basic wireframes for the dashboards that reflect relations between different forms, pages, transitions- all this gives you a real feeling of "what happens if..."

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Axure RP
Axure RP review by Dr. C. Michael S.
Dr. C. Michael S.

"Prototypes of all kinds - eLearning Module"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use, the understanding, the exporting of a "live" prototype that is truly interactive. The interactivity allows me to develop prototypes for eLearning Modules that will be interactive when completed. This supplies those I work for with a true feel of what they will receive in the final product.

What do you dislike?

There are some aspects that can be "clunky" at time. The locations of some aspects such as styling are not a logical as I would like and the exporting doesn't give a clear idea as to where files will reside.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in education or you are working in a field such as web development, you will find that this tool helps to expedite the process of getting starting on the "real" product development. I highly recommend this product for a variety of reasons - one in particular is that it is a very light product. Second, it is available for mac or pc users. I was finding it difficult to get the right product for my Mac, but this application did fulfil the need. Lastly, the ability to assure that the prototype acts like the final product will is almost 100% possible.

I am an instructional designer and develop eLearning modules for various organizations - universities and most recently a book producer. The development of a prototype allows for a quick turn around time so the client can confirm that they want what I have provided or make suggestions of change.

What Wireframing solution do you use?

Axure RP review by Kerron R.
Kerron R.

"Powerful Prototyping Solution"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily create pages and interactions using a familiar layout of libraries, pages and actions. These features allowed for the creation of a fully functional prototype, plus additional conditions can be applied for even more realistic scenario development within the prototype.

What do you dislike?

Certain library elements and menus, especially when using adaptive views are a bit buggy when exported as HTML but it is to be expected because the prototype is being built upon only front end languages and may not behave as perfectly as the fully developed application. Some other features and library items are not fully documented well, such as custom widgets. Hopefully further patches and updates will provide a solution to these minor issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This application can provide enough functionality to create very powerful application prototypes which would accommodate for solid insight towards the development of final applications. While some level of learning is required, it is very much worth it for any professional or organisation that requires such a solution.

I am using this software to provide UXD training for corporate Software Developers and Tertiary Level Students.

Axure RP review by Stu M.
Stu M.

"Almost limitless possibilities for creating complex prototypes, and great for basic wireframes too."

What do you like best?

Our product requires quite complex prototyping, as it is too time consuming to iterate the actual product in many cases.

Axure provides a huge array of technical features that allows us to create those complex prototypes. By which I mean very particular functionality - the tools are flexible enough to create almost any behaviour, just by the fact that you can replicate programming logic (but you don't need to be a programmer!)

It's easy to achieve desired layouts and interactivity, you can nearly always replicate the intended design (even visually, if you need a realistic prototype rather than a wireframe).

Axure's sharing service is also incredibly useful; we use this to share among the team and to customers for testing.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a bit dated, it works, it's usable but it's not exactly a pleasure to use. Some things could bit a bit slicker; it would be nice if the interactions panel was a bit less fussy, but to be honest I'm looking for faults.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are quite a few prototyping tools on the market now that I have never used, so my review isn't a comparison with those other platforms. I think newer applications are more modern, but from what I know, nothing is as comprehensive as Axure in terms of functionality.

We use Axure to provide our product designers with a quick way to make functional prototypes (that they aren't able make using javascript etc) for user testing; therefore avoiding the need for developers to be involved.

It also gives us a way to share prototypes very easily for user testing and team/customer reviews.

Axure RP review by Adaoha O.
Adaoha O.

"One of the Most Powerful Prototyping Tool"

What do you like best?

I love conditionals and adding logic to my prototypes. Axure is one of the best tools and my go to when creating something as close to code as possible. I also love love love the ability to convert high fidelity prototypes into wireframes, or possibly even sketches. Axure comes with an awesome feature that allows you to change up the lines in the prototype to be more "squiggly" or look like something done with paper and pencil. This is extremely helpful when I get carried away and dive too deep into details and want to retract without starting over or losing my work.

What do you dislike?

I think the learning curve to Axure is a bit steep. But the community and support around the tool helped me not to hold onto that dislike for long. I also am not a fan of the lack of communication between Axure and Sketch. I think a lot of people are moving towards Sketch and not everyone likes Invision. So of the integration between Sketch and Axure were tighter, I'd be using the tool A LOT MORE!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is definitely a nice tool to learn and have under your design belt. Although the integration with Sketch is not where it should be, it's still manageable when it comes to importing .svgs. If you're coming from a tool like Photoshop, you might have the patience to learn Axure, but warning in advance, it does not have the same shortcuts, etc. The support/community around Axure is great and there are some nice widgets that can help you get started! I'd more recommend for those into web design, verses mobile.

Axure saves time and resources. As mentioned above, this is my go to tool for creating prototypes as close to code as possible.

Axure RP review by Shawn S.
Shawn S.

"Simple and fast!"

What do you like best?

If you are new to interface design this program will allow you to turn out Whatever you’re mind can come up with. Within reason. You will not be creating after effects like animations. But you will be able to design some amazing interfaces in no time at all.

What do you dislike?

There is always an issue with most software now. Too many ways to get to the same thing. From right climbing to drop down menus to icons to click on. Most companies are doing this now. It seems that 10 ways to get to the item is best. I don’t get it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While you can do the same thing for screen layout in most design programs. This allows you to link, embed, build, change, modify etc. All so quickly. It almost seems funny.

Simply put. Rapid prototypes. This is the easiest way as of now for myself to display and provide clients with fast feedback.

Axure RP review by Steve K.
Steve K.

"Best Wireframing Tool Available "

What do you like best?

The ability to create highly interactive content and elements in adaptive views, providing development teams the ability to visualize designs and functionality in hi-fidelity, guiding the overall production process.

What do you dislike?

In an ideal world, the responsive breakdown of elements would behave and function like that of a truly responsive browser window. Also, the coding of "if x than x" behaviors can be a little convoluted and cumbersome, however, it does allow for very precise interactions that other tools do not provide.

With Axure RP, we have overcome many of the process barriers that were plaguing the overall marketing > creative > development hand-off process. With Axure, we now have the ability to bring static mockups to life with hover states, click behaviors and rich text that can be showcased in live browser environments with the ability to collaborate and communicate across teams, all through the AxShare Cloud.

Axure RP review by Cody S.
Cody S.

"Pretty Much Everything You Need, Some of What You Don't"

What do you like best?

You can make some very high level prototypes with Axure. You can make them as simple or as complex adn beautiful as you'd like. Discussing, collaborating, and sharing are made very easy. It is really nice that you can use it for other UX tasks like flowcharts and sitemaps - then you can link them all together.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Axure can over do it and make make a task too complex just with the openness it allows and ability to take things so far. Some features, like custom widget styles, are good ideas but not executed well. Their support is not that good. I have attempted to contact them and posted in the forums to no avail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial and get a feel for it. There is definitely a learning curve!

The ability to make fast and accurate wireframes and high level prototypes is key. Also, sharing the prototypes with clients and other team members and receiving feedback is a must. The quality of our prototypes is quite amazing and clients and developers really appreciate it.

Axure RP review by Ben G.
Ben G.

"Axure RP - Extensive Prototyping made Easy"

What do you like best?

Axure allows for nearly everything a UX Designer could desire. The capability is extremely extensive, allowing for wireframes and prototypes with extreme detail. The software utilizes intuitive thinking and UX Design to provide the UX Designer themselves with the best tools to wireframe and prototype.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to Axure. In addition, there are a few features that could be implemented that would be massive time savers and the comment feature on published sites could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although the learning curve is a bit steep, once you have a handle on Axure RP you will never look for another UX Design software.

The only downfall is that our company does not find the client comment section once a wireframe is published satisfactory. We end up using different methods to track client comments.

We are utilizing Axure RP to design software for our clients. It has allowed us to be as thorough and creative as we possibly can. The software is rarely a limit for the detailed, user friendly wireframes and prototypes that we strive to produce.

"Great functionality"

What do you like best?

I like being able to add logic and deeper functionality within the mockups. I've done a few mockups and I enjoy doing logic like if-statements in case certain options are selected and redirecting to different screens. It's like a combination of InVision and Sketch because everything is done within the app. The buttons have functionality already, no need to map hotspots.

What do you dislike?

The shapes and graphics that they allow you to implement aren't that extensive. Textboxes for passwords/ usernames and whatnot have to the textbox that they give you (you can't go for a minimalistic design and use a blank line, for instance). It feels like a mid-fidelity tool because it allows you to explore different functionalities but it doesn't help your software look as complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time and watch some reviews when it comes to using the software and different buttons and all that. It takes some time to get used to but it is worth it in the end.

I am creating mockups and making them realistic as to how they would function if they were fully developed. I do lots of user testing and improve actual products before they are even fully developed.

Axure RP review by User

"New user of Axure and loving it so far!"

What do you like best?

The ability to create and share with a client a working prototype of their website is wonderful - all to often I find that clients are not able to visualize how a website will work unless they can get in there and use it.

What do you dislike?

I'm still fairly new to using Axure RP, but I have found that if I use fonts that I have installed on my computer, and the client does not have those fonts installed, the display will switch to a default system font. There is a a workaround to this, but it took me quite a bit of time to research it and figure out how to make it work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth using - the client love being able to see their potential website as it's being created and be a part of process.

As stated above, the ability to present to a client a 'working' prototype of their website is fantastic. And giving them the ability to leave comments on each individual page for edits is so wonderfully efficient.

Axure RP review by Sumanth kumar S.
Sumanth kumar S.

"Excellent tool for mock screen (Prototypes) creation with navigation flow"

What do you like best?

It is very friendly to use. Drag & Drop widget approach to create web, mobile application screens.

Various Fidelity (low, medium, High Fidelity wire frames).

We can design Flow Charts. We can easily design Annotated Wire frames. So that the user can easily understand the flow of a web site or a mobile app.

This is very useful in developing web/mobile applications.

It reduces the time of analysis approval in the software development.

What do you dislike?

I think i dint find any dislike features. It is full filling my requirements

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Axure RP to design prototypes and wire frames. It is very easy and user friendly

We have designed some web application flow prototype and mobile application prototypes. I have worked on the web application. it reduces the work time and analysis approval time. It is very useful in s/w development

Axure RP review by User in Computer Software

"Great for prototyping interactive workflows"

What do you like best?

The collaboration (check in / check out) features within Axure RP make it a more appropriate tool for small teams than applications like Balsamiq, which are effectively single user tools. Another thing that I really like about Axure RP, is being able to create reusable components that can nest. Balsamiq, another great prototyping tool that I use regularly, does not allow symbols to be nested. Axure allows me to create more advanced interactions with fewer components.

What do you dislike?

Building out a simple table of demo data is painful with Axure. I've been working with big grids of data for much of my recent design work, and it's akward to make Axure RP display data the way I'd like for it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There seem to be more and more prototyping tools on the market every day. Axure is a robust product that still continues to improve with every incremental release. If collaboration between designers is part of your internal workflow, Axure is a prototyping tool that you should give a shot.

I need to communicate design concepts to product management, and design details to software developers. Axure is a reasonably robust tool that allows PMs to click around within a prototype, and provides developers with a pretty detailed specification document (if you choose to put the effort into building it out).

Axure RP review by John S.
John S.

"Use Axure if your design can really improve with logic statements"

What do you like best?

For wireframing and prototyping, Axure offers the power to set variables that persist from screen to screen. It's really handy when building an app that requires some user input and a system that responds to input data.

What do you dislike?

The interface can really use a facelift to make things stand out more. It feels like a very old-school, developer-friendly interface, but lacks some modern design elements that makes working in Sketch feel good. Also, it's missing the ability to measure pixel distance between objects which doesn't encourage making high-fidelity prototypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Axure when you need concept validation, not for high-fidelity mockups.

Axure RP is great during the UX portion of a project when you really need concept validation. Allowing user input to persist through variables while still being a design centric tool is the main value proposition.

Axure RP review by Alexander R.
Alexander R.

"Axure = create and experiment before starting design and development"

What do you like best?

Axure is very powerful, and as such, it allows to create highly interactive mockups, not just static UI wireframes. You can simulate any web mechanic, with most of the transitions and effects built it, and for the most innovative ones, you can actually define them on your own. Next time you need to use the custom effect you created, you use the previous template and don't start from scratch.

For me, it's first used as a "scrapbook", since I can gather inspiration with notes with ease inside Axure.

At the second stage, I am creating static wireframes for responsive products.

I can then add flows and interactions between elements, simulating transitions, adding any pop-up, widget, etc. uniting things into larger and larger elements and adding multiple layers with ease

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I need to use many external libraries, instead of having an all-in-one icon/template library right inside Axure. My first priority as an Axure Product Manager would be to make sure we're offering an up-to-date template library from inside the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you often find yourself fixing things inside Photoshop or other software done by UI designers, or making multiple UI/UX fixes post-launch, you should use Axure to "nip it in the bud".

It's great for any level of discussion, but at the early stages it's enabling rapid prototyping and experimentation, and allows you to gather feedback from everyone at a fraction of the cost of making design and code.

The business problem we're solving is team feedback

We're getting everyone on-board for UI before we commit to design, which can mean days saved on design.

We're showing new functionality and the full user flow through simulation, instead of showing screenshots or videos.

We can A/B test flows with users, before we build experiments in Optimizely/VWO or any other tool, which saves web development time.

Axure RP review by Sona P.
Sona P.

"Photoshop is useful when doing visual design, however it is not the easiest to learn."

What do you like best?

I like that there are numerous color palettes to choose from, different shapes and styling elements you can use, and the ability to share saved files even with those who do not have the software.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for Adobe photoshop is very steep. I found it difficult to learn, and other desginers say the same thing. Illustrator is definitely an easier tool to learn with the ability to do the same things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a VERY skilled visual designer or graphic designer and would like to step out of your comfort zone by learning a new product, Adobe Photoshop is great for you. However, I think that there are better options out there that have the same if not very similar features.

The business problems solved using Photoshop are the creation of static images on screens. For example, maps of countries, flow diagrams, login page pictures of a product. It also helps with marketing in the creation of different visuals for presentations, posters, and flyers.

Axure RP review by Alan H.
Alan H.

"Excellent prototyping tool"

What do you like best?

Conditional logic in prototypes allows for infinite customization and complex interactions. Dynamic panels can be used to mimic native mobile functionality. Has a native mobile app to present prototypes.

What do you dislike?

Lacks integration with Bohemian's Sketch.

Designers without a development background may have difficulty understanding some of the more complex features of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pair a designer with a developer to assist with logic if needed.

How can this design be presented to stakeholders? Conceptual prototypes

How can this tool improve our product? Iterative development driven by user testing of app prototypes.

Axure RP review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Semiconductors
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Semiconductors

"Smooth and Robust"

What do you like best?

Quick and easy to put together simple prototypes with basic interactions. If you can invest a little more time you can also incorporate more sophisticated interactions with the use of basic scripts.

I also recently started using flows to illustrate the process steps or decision and a styles page for developers.

What do you dislike?

Have not yet been able to figure out a way to work with a team. I know it is possible but not as simple as I was hoping.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure RP prototypes are high fidelity prototypes and you need to make sure your users understand this is not the final product.

We develop software and automation solutions for our customers and the prototypes with Axure allow us to review our understanding of the customer needs and acceptance criteria before we even start coding. This saves us time from re-work or last minute changes.

Axure RP review by Katherine R.
Katherine R.

"Great for interaction design. 1 prototype saves 10 hours of meetings (and 10 hours of QA :))"

What do you like best?

Interactions are assigned to objects -- so you create one page and then can change things dynamically on the page with different views, etc. A lot of prototyping tools just click you to another screen but Axure has hover states, scroll commands, dynamic panels, window resize changes, variables carried across screens to keep context and a million more ways to control interactions

What do you dislike?

If you started in photoshop or another tool, you're going to have to recreate the elements in axure

I've used axure for remote user testing studies and for creating documentation when passing design to developers. It is great for both! Clients can leave comments on pages for discussion, and developers can see all the interactions happening on a page to cut down on the "you didn't read my mind" type of issues that arise

Axure RP review by Ben T.
Ben T.

"One of the better interactive prototyping tools available"

What do you like best?

Axure let’s you use conditional logic and variables to save/transform inputs, which lets the prototype respond naturally to users

What do you dislike?

Shortcuts and zoom are a bit different than what most graphic design programs have. Dynamic panels and conditional logic have a learning curve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Axure website has a helpful tutorial available for beginners to learn some of the more complex features.

Axure enables my company to perform rapid protyping so that we can create low to mid-fidelity designs upon which we iterate. It’s one of the best tools for creating life-like responsive prototypes for user testing.

Axure RP review by User in Design
User in Design

"Excellent Wireframe Software"

What do you like best?

Once you have a firm handle on how the program works, everything is extremely straight forward and intuitive. Also, the icons that comes with the program look professional--less bubbly and round like some other products have.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of a steep learning curve, which makes it a bit unaccessible to beginners just starting to work with wireframes. The resource library that Axure has does make up for that a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least work with the free trial, and really work through the user library and introduction videos. Those will not only really help ease the learning curve, but it will show you what you can, and can't, do with Axure. At the worst, it's a week of work for something that you're not really going to use. At best, you've found a product that is consistently allows you to put out good deliverables and products.

Mostly how to make products and designs more accessible to users. Often this involves establishing wireframes and prototypes that are tested during multiple rounds of usability tests and evaluations. What we found through Axure is that, when it comes to general design, keeping the set-up and navigation extremely simple, and breaking a problem down to it's bare bones has a high chance of being seen as both useful and accessible to our users.

Axure RP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Complex Prototyping Made Simple ... "

What do you like best?

Love how easy it is to create complex, interactive prototypes to help showcase new features and functionality that we want to implement without spending the money to have development code our potentially throw away designs.

Love the ability to share designs online with Axshare

Love, love, love the community - the only way to find solutions to problems and better ways of producing effects in my prototypes.

What do you dislike?

Some of the more complex functionality requires some coding experience (building out expressions), which for new users can be a tad intimidating.

The way in which layers are represented could be improved greatly (think Photoshop layers).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love, love, love their community - I have learned so much from their community site. They have really nailed their community.

You can do some pretty tricky things!

Testing out design ideas early in the ideation phase.

UI flow mockups

Wire framing + prototyping in one tool

Axure RP review by User in Financial Services

"The best of the worst"

What do you like best?

I like that you are able to create a high functioning, almost real website. There is a ton of functionality and endless things you can do with Axure. It takes a while to figure out how to do things, but once you get into a habit and repetition it gets easier.

What do you dislike?

I think that while you can do a lot of things with the program, it takes a while to learn the system. Sometimes I learn things just because I happened to stumble across them. Often, things break in your prototype and you can't figure out why and end up redoing your work. And to my comment above, it is only easy to use with a lot of repetition. It would make my day to day work a lot easier if it didn't take as long to remember how to do things within the program.

We are able to show high fidelity prototypes to clients using Axure.

Axure RP review by User in Computer Software

"Great for interactive prototypes with basic animaitons"

What do you like best?

Great for creating clickable prototypes. I can create a very dynamic prototype that looks and feels real relatively quickly. Very few other prototyping tools offer interaction patterns that are as dynamic and complex as Axure. I can create things that resemble things in code (if user clicks X, set global variable Y to true, then if user clicks Z, show A). It's very easy to have a shared library and puiublish your work to a sharable link.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how wireframe-y the final products. You have to work really hard to get things to look fine tuned visually. Shared prototypes are also very slow and crash often if they're bigger than a few pages. Also hate how certain fonts do not render properly, and just display in Times if the viewer does not have the specific font installed on their computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When comparing to others, Axure is nice because of it's interactions.

It's beneficial for creating prototypes to share with engineers. Easy to show user flows and communicate how things should function.

Axure RP review by David Y.
David Y.

"I really like Axure because it scales to your needs and is easy to use"

What do you like best?

It's flexible and works if you want a quick wireframe or if you want an interactive functional demo. It's got good online support in forums and training videos and the price was much better than other tools I tried (like iRise).

What do you dislike?

hmm. As great as dynamic panels are using that approach to show alternating row colors for tables is very tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it ;) This is one of my favorite tools as a BA. The low price point was a factor in our purchase initially but now that I've used it I wouldn't take another tool over it. Upgrades are a breeze and the community libraries are good.

We use Axure to better explore business requirements, to prototype screen designs, and to quickly product a variety of samples. It lets us more quickly put together these samples, and it lets lower cost staff do it saving valuable Developer time.

Axure RP review by Madhura D.
Madhura D.

"Highly recommended prototyping tool "

What do you like best?

Its is user friendly, you can see video and learn. I learned axure on my own & I'm using this for all my prototyping requirements.

Easier way to share link with clients for there review.

What do you dislike?

Should have layout selections such as ipad / desktop / mobile.

It would be easier if multiple user can work on same project at time.

If we can have inbuild charts, such as Bar graph / line / doughnut

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best & user friendly prototyping tool in market. You can share links with your clients , no need to buy reader to view this.

I'm using this as a first point of discussion with my clients, once we get sign off we develop it on softwares like Tableau / SSRS / MSBI etc.

But because of axure actions / layout / design clients get actual feel how it will look once developed.

Axure RP review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Flexible and powerful, but with its own UI quirks and heavy, unusable code"

What do you like best?

I can accomplish (or mimic) most interfaces that I want to demonstrate to clients.

What do you dislike?

As the UI has become more powerful, a good portion of the controls have moved into hidden, unintuitive, and difficult-to-find areas, making it slower to produce work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will still need a skilled front-end developer to implement your designs, as the code is not usable. Also, some interactions take significant experience with Axure to create and develop.

Clients often have a difficult time visualizing a recommended solution. With Axure, I can easily illustrate our vision -- in high-res, low-res, and anything in between. However, the end code -- while useful a prototype for testing and for discussions with development -- cannot be used as a front-end prototype for final development.

Axure RP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Delighted user of Axure RP"

What do you like best?

All of its features! Wireframing has come to life using this program. I am easily able to wireframe entire applications that would have before not functioned like a real website. The clients that I create the wireframes for using this product are fantastic compared to anything else that I have seen.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I dislike about the program, but I have had some trouble before exporting the files into HTML pages. The company that I work for sees the Axure files as unsecure, and doesn't let us put them on the servers. Therefore, we are stuck having them on our personal computers. This is not a program necessarily with Axure, I understand, but it has made my job a difficult to share the wireframes sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly consider it. There is nothing to lose with the product. It is the best on the market for creating WORKING prototypes quickly. Almost anything that a real website can do, Axure can create. I have had quite a few clients believe that an Axure wireframe was a real website coded and everything. Give this software a try!

I am wireframing business solutions and making sure that the client likes their website before actually building it. I am saving a lot of time using this product rather than using Photoshop, which is way too advanced for what I need, or another online program, like Invision. The stuff you can create in Axure, for much less time than these other programs, is what makes it superior.

Axure RP review by Joseph V.
Joseph V.

"Rapid Prototyping Made Easy"

What do you like best?

The interface has only gotten better with each version. It’s very straight forward and not cumbersome like other applications. It makes prototyping concepts very easy and efficient. The support within the community is very large so finding answers when necessary is very easy to find.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a wider support for user feedback/transitions like other applications on the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep doing what they are doing. It’s working!

We were solving user flows and journey maps within Axure. It was also used to quickly prototype out a concept to stakeholders to help dev resources understand business requirements. The benefits were immediately realized When making updates. We could quickly provide revisions to all stakeholders in one swoop

Axure RP review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Very powerful but steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

Axure is so powerful. You can create really high fidelity prototypes with it or really low fidelity prototypes. You can add so many different types of interactions to simulate working software and export it to HTML files or a live URL for user testing.

What do you dislike?

It has a very steep learning curve and is more PC-user friendly than Mac-friendly. They should provide more in-app tours and tutorials on first use, rather than making the user find it online. It also takes a long time to create a nice prototype instead of the Agile and Lean design methods of using sketches and wireframes (although it is still possible to make simple wires in Axure).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a powerful tool to have in your toolbox. If you have an enterprise account, I recommend getting your administrator to set up training sessions with Axure's trainers to help novice users get up to speed quicker.

When the interaction design of software is complex, Axure does provide the various interactions to be tested by users. This helps to validate not just the screens but the emotions and behavior of the user when a page or element behaves a certain way.

"Axure Review"

What do you like best?

Axure makes it fairly easy to create high fidelity wireframes & prototypes. This is particularly helpful for clients who have a hard time visualizing with low fidelity wireframes. Dynamic panels in particular help me create near final product prototypes for these clients which are also helpful in conducting user testing.

What do you dislike?

Importing of images and widget libraries isn't always easy. I often wish it were quicker and easier to modify library items; this slows down my process significantly. Another small complaint: I wish it was possible to zoom using the trackpad. These are a few things that Sketch does really well and I miss when using Axure.

As mentioned, Axure wireframes and prototypes help in communicating with clients. So far, there has been very little that I client has asked for that I haven't been able to demonstrate to them in an Axure prototype.

Axure RP review by Dhvanil P.
Dhvanil P.

"Review of Axure RP as a wireframing tool!"

What do you like best?

I have been predominantly using Axure RP for wireframing various websites design, as well as, some mobile applications.

The best thing about Axure RP as a wireframing tool is it's simplicity. Within minutes, I can come up with a very accurate and easily understandable wireframe for website / mobile application. It is a wonderful starting point in my design process.

It abstracts things to a level where I can have the freedom to play with user-flows and layouts, while at the same time being rigid enough to put some overall degree of structure into the design.

Also, I really love the wonderful community using Axure RP and their helpfulness to help newcomers. Many a times, my queries have been answered by some very helpful community members who even went to the extend of sending me the .rp files. Widgets and other plugins developed by them have been very helpful at times.

What do you dislike?

Things I dislike about Axure RP:

- Clunky and (somewhat) archaic User Interface. I believed it can be improved to a great extend.

- I personally believe that it is too expensive. I couldn't afford the full version of the software on my student stipend.

- It would be better if there was a way to generate native application using Axure RP. Would love to integrate input from various sensors (camera, accelerometer etc)

- Not being able to link Dropbox / GDrive / Box and other cloud storage services.

- Not being able to import Sketch / Photoshop files (although, not required, but I have faced some cases where I had to do that)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it if you want to quickly wireframe / prototype a design, without focussing too much on the visual aspects of it. And if you want to get feedback on low fidelity designs!

I realize that the main benefit of Axure RP is it's ease of use. And how simple it is to share and get feedback on wireframes / prototypes. One of the first things I do when I have a design problem, or client to work for, is to open up Axure RP and quickly wireframe different ideas in my mind, and give them some concrete shape. With it's simplicity, it has somehow become an brainstorming tool for me (weird, I know!)

Axure RP review by Devesh C.
Devesh C.

"Axure: Fantastic Prototyping Tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to create rich prototypes, easy to install, UI is clean and relatively simple to use.

What do you dislike?

There are some crashing issues that occur when you have multiple prototypes loaded. If the wireframes are very resource heavy, there is some significant lag. Zooming function is very choppy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure is a robust prototyping tool from which you can whip up prototypes in a quick and efficient manner. I would recommend Axure for this, it has allowed us to foster the capability to tell our UI stories effectively with the development teams, business analyst teams and testing teams in order to create a smooth transition when going from an idea to code.

Our client needs to constantly develop and iterate on their functionality with their complex system. In order to do this, we use Axure to develop prototypes in order to share with the business... along with internal employees (Developers, BA's, PM's and partners). Having the ability to create UI mockups within hours (sometimes within a day) have allowed us to rapidly and visually represent our ideas and thoughts on how we want a user to flow and use the application. When the client has a piece of functionality that they need to be implemented, we will create the mockup in Axure and create a rich wireframe for them to see. It will allow us to follow guiding principles of UI design.

Axure RP review by Rohan V.
Rohan V.

"Easy Interactive Prototypes For Web Apps!"

What do you like best?

Axure RP offer a layer based stacking for the designs components which makes it much easier to create interactions with different elements of the design. Also, what is great about Axure RP is that it publishes the prototype as a clickable web based HTML prototype which can be opened up in any browser.

What do you dislike?

There are quite a few things that I feel to be missing out in Axure RP-

1. If you are prototyping for mobile devices, there is no way one can view the prototype live on the mobile device itself. It lags behind most of the other prototyping softwares that have this feature.

2. Secondly, the learning curve associated with Axure RP is a bit steep for beginners as one has to learn how to make cases to perform specific interactions and animations.

3. No user testing options available within the product itself. Only way to do that is to host the prototype on your server and share it with users.

4. No collaboration or commenting features available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would only recommend this if you want to click HTML based web prototypes quickly. But then to share it with others you would have to host it on your website.

I have been using it mainly for creating wireframes and prototypes for self projects as a student. The only reason I often use it is that it enhances me to create wireframes there itself in a matter of few minutes. But due to no collaboration and sharing options, I use it only when I need to make things for myself.

Axure RP review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Very Useful, many features, but not so user friendly"

What do you like best?

That is very useful to do many things. It has a lot of very useful features.

I love the fact that there is help for students (you have to certify that you are a student) giving you a licence for 1 year for free.

What do you dislike?

It is a Little bit complicated to use. It is not so user friendly as other softwares.

As the fact that it has very useful features, it also lacks of some other features that would be very useful and imporant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a Lot of Great features, it a Little bit complicated to use in the beginning, but you can Watch tutorials if you need them.

At least for me, this software helps me to build my Muckups for apps, websites, etc.

It helps me to créate good looking flowcharts.

Benefits: It has simplified my life, because I don't have to Buy more software separately.

Axure RP review by User in Computer Software

"Perfect for early prototype usability testing"

What do you like best?

The thing that I like best about Axure, is the robust functionality. It is very easy to create interactive prototypes that you can run through user research and usability testing. This is very important for creating new products or new features. I like that you can create low fidelity to high fidelity wireframes and you can create your own stencil kits and masters, and that you can use dynamic panels to simulate functionality.

What do you dislike?

A few things are not as intuitive or not possible with Axure. It does everything I need it to do except the ability to have dynamic masters. I wish I could create a master and be able to edit each instance on the individual pages. I also wish getting client comments would be a little easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Axure to folks who have to design products that have a lot of functionality or if you are doing usability testing. It is much easier to get good feedback when your client or participant can actually use the prototype and can simulate the context in which they would be using the product.

I design products. Axure is great for the iterative product design loop. It is easy to create designs, get client feedback through URLs, and complete usability testing (remote or in person testing).

Axure RP review by Pierre F.
Pierre F.

"The most flexible wireframing and prototyping tool outthere"

What do you like best?

I like how fast it is to do wireframes with Axure. They have Masters, Dynamic panels, etc that allows to have a very efficient workflow. It is also really easy to do complex prototypes. It is the only tool that I know of that allows to do conditions and pass variable to create very interactive prototypes.

What do you dislike?

I would like Axure to generate vector drawings and allow to export as PDF or SVG. When I'm drawing flows I can't do much with them if their exports are pixelised.

Also as I do mobile prototypes I need to have images that can scale based on mobile pixel density and I have to hack my way through to make it possible.

I would like to be able to import Sketch files/screens in my Axure screen when I do HiFi prototypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the team functionality if you are multiple person on a project. It's an awesome feature and it's the only tool that allows that.

Axure allows me to create wireframes, flows, clickable prototypes (that I use for client presentation and user tests).

Axure RP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great tool for prototyping and wireframing"

What do you like best?

Good tool for wireframing, has an extensive tool set to accomplish most of the design requirements. Great for team collaboration and work sharing, In built versioning control is very useful. Eases the process of unit testing because Axure exports to HTML and runs on all major browsers.

What do you dislike?

It can get clunky and buggy sometimes. It might have a steeper learning curve than other tools in this space, No integration with cloud storage services. Low fidelity wireframes are my go to. I wish Axure let me create better quality designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great beginners tool. Don't get restricted by the limited capability set offered by Axure. There are better tools in the market but if you're looking for just prototyping and wireframing - this is a decent bet.

Creating seamless UX/UI design for customers. Building prototypes and wireframes. Benefits realized are - being able to quickly whip up ideas into a wireframe, team collaboration on projects. It's an industry standard and is makes things relatively straightforward when doing testing.

Axure RP review by D. Kwasi T.
D. Kwasi T.

"Somewhat of a large learning curve initially but extremely powerful prototyping program"

What do you like best?

The best part of Axure is the functionality to mimic web interactions. Once the capabilities of dynamics panels is learned, it is feasible to create a clickable prototype that is identical to any coded website and yet there is no code needed. When plugins such as carousels, calendars, and maps are introduced, a designer can go even further in creating a high fidelity prototype.

What do you dislike?

As powerful of a program that it is, there are some usability issues that could use improvement. The main issue for me is the lack of hotkeys for commonly used shapes and actions. Workflow would be so much smoother if there were better ways to avoid dragging and dropping (especially when working on a laptop without a mouse). There's also great potential to integrate a vector-based drawing program (such as Sketchapp or Illustrator) to streamline workflow even more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though the program may look intimidating initially, all it takes is a solid day of exploring the numerous functions. Once those are learned, mockups are fast and easy. Creation of site maps are also made very simple if you'd like to use this over a program like Omnigraffle.

I use Axure primarily to create user flows and low to medium fidelity wireframes/prototypes. There are countless benefits for using it. Among them are the ability to share the prototype via AxShare, the easy documentation of iterations and specs, and the code-less web interactions allowed.

Axure RP review by Alex S.
Alex S.

"Axure RP for lean product design and prototyping"

What do you like best?

Fully featured app with robust tools to customize and manage work across projects and across your team. Easy one-click uploading to Axure's free Axshare site to host protected prototypes and solicit feedback from stakeholders.

Great auto-saving and restoring from auto-backups help you out of infrequent crashes.

What do you dislike?

The interface and features can be daunting for new users. Updates to outdated interface are coming soon in 8.0.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like to use the most sophisticated and robust tools available: I want tools that I can grow into, not out of. It may require time to get up to speed and feel comfortable with the feature-rich and outdated interface compared to other competitors, but Axure by far takes the cake for features and extensibility. Even compared to the relatively new (and well-designed) JustinMind, Axure continues to lead the pack.

We work with small, agile teams across functions and require nimble, fast tools to help architect, layout and design features and product adjustments. Axure is able to handle almost all steps under one roof, including robust prototyping capability and documentation export (which can be a bit challenging to use).

Axure RP review by Miklos P.
Miklos P.

"Feature rich, but steep learning curve, funky UI, slow to use compared to others"

What do you like best?

Axure has pretty good masters, widget libraries, styles, layout and interaction tools. It also allows you to share (publish) your wireframes and prototypes with your team (password protected if needed) over the web for free via AxShare. You can also generate HTML files which can be used elsewhere in other programs.

What do you dislike?

The palettes and tools' design leaves a lot to be desired. It feels a bit clunky and Windows-like vs. Mac graphic tools like Sketch, OmniGraffle, Photoshop, Illustrator and others. One can't easily draw a line for example that's not horizontal or vertical (at an angle). Text tools and graphic object adjustments are slow and clumsy via the panels (inspectors). It has a "dynamic panels" feature that lets users create pretty complex interactions, though this too comes at a price. Once too many are on layers and on top of each other, managing them is difficult and previewing and running the prototype in a browser is slow to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a well-rounded application with many great features. Relatively easy to pick up and start using, but more serious work requires a fairly steep learning curve. As with so many other programs, it's adequate for some and not for others, depending on how deep one gets into it. Heavy duty prototyping and wireframing would require users to learn all of its deep features.

Good for wireframing and prototyping in a software dev environment though it comes with a steep learning curve. Worked well in a team production environment that enabled us to share wireframes with developers relatively easily.

Axure RP review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Industry standard for wireframing and interactive prototypying with steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

You can use Axure to create low or high fidelity prototype depending on your need from simple wireframe to fully functioning interactive website or mobile app. It also allows you to publish your prototype to Axshare for easy sharing with your team member or client of the finished prototype.

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve with conditional logics and dynamic panels. Team project that allows multiple people to work on the same Axure file can be quite fiddly depending what version of Axure you are using. I'm able to use the interactions that is provided in Axure but sometimes if I want to create complex interactions, it can be quite fiddly and time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because there are many prototyping applications out there, it really depends on what work flow your company uses. Axure is interaction focused so it can be quite complex and time consuming compare to other prototyping applications. Also some company has specific workflow where interface is already available and the ease of bringing assets form one application to another and updating as a whole is another reason.

Able to produce the prototype and present to client or team member remotely through Axshare.

Axure RP review by Tomoya K.
Tomoya K.

"Good prototyping tool for Web UI"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Axure is buggy, especially for Macs. Sometimes it can become a resource hog as a few memory bugs seems to increase memory use over time. Some designer features like snapping-to-grid can also work unexpectedly, sometimes making for a difficult time designing things.

When it comes to mobile, some of other tools go a lot further than Axure when it comes to touch gestures and animated transitions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure can be expensive to pick up, but they have a free full-featured demo (30 day time limit). I'd recommend trying the more powerful prototyping features as a time-saving alternative.

Axure RP review by Patrick R.
Patrick R.

"The industry standard for interactive prototyping"

What do you like best?

Axure has been around for a long time and is quite widely accepted as an industry standard (though there are alternatives), particularly for enterprise level UX.

As far as wireframing is concerned, Axure can be used to very quickly put together pages through the use of a very complete widget library. Since version 7, the wireframing features have been improved to a level where it can sometimes be used for the visual design - especially given the current trend for flat design styles.

Interactivity is really where Axure comes into it's own. No other prototyping tool I've tried (Balsamic, Invision, Principles, etc.) offers the same degree of power and functionality in this respect. Setting up the interactions is fairly straightforward and doesn't require coding, but may present a learning curve to users with few technical skills.

It also needs to be mentioned that Axure have for the past few years offered a very generous approach to upgrades. From 6 to 7 and this year to version 8, upgrades are free.

What do you dislike?

Axure is seeing a lot of competition from newcomers in the prototyping area. Especially when it comes to mobile - a new prototyping tool comes on the market at a rate of almost one a month. Some of these tools go a lot further than Axure when it comes to touch gestures and animated transitions.

Using Axure to wireframe and prototype sites and apps has made communicating designs far more efficient. I no longer spend days creating detailed specification documents. As a designer, it gives me the opportunity to experiment, explore and validate ideas. Clients and stakeholders really appreciate seeing an interactive model rather than static documentation, and it helps communicate complex interactions to developers.

Axure RP review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Love Axure RP!"

What do you like best?

Axure RP is a super flexible tool that let's me create design deliverables that cross the spectrum from low fidelity wireframes to high fidelity interactive prototypes.

What do you dislike?

There is not a single thing to dislike about Axure RP!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely choose Axure RP over any other wireframing/prototyping tool.

Axure RP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"There's a place for it, but I'm not sure what it is"

What do you like best?

Some people like to use Azure RP for design and collaboration. I do not. I don't think it comes close to matching what an application like Sketch can do. As for prototyping, I do think you can achieve a level of interaction using Axure RP that you can't achieve on other platforms, notably Invision.

What do you dislike?

As I mentioned previously, Axure RP gives you the ability to create prototypes with more realistic interactions (can click on drop down menus, enter content into input fields etc.), but the tradeoff to that is that it is tediously cumbersome to use. I can export my Sketch designs into Invision and string together a clickable prototype in a matter of minutes. Axure RP would take me all day to replicate my design, create all my click points and dynamic components. As a result, it's just not a practical tool to use on a day to day basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To each their own...if you are somebody who likes to prototype (and even design) in Axure RP, more power to you. It has a few nice features. But I would say if cost is a consideration, there are other tools out there that are cheaper and more useful on a day to day basis.

Like I said, it would appear to have a very niche function, to create more robust prototypes than can be achieved in some other competitive software, but those use cases are few and far between in my opinion. I have a license for it, just on the off chance I need it for one such instance, or so I can open files that others have created in Axure RP, but I don't use it as part of my day to day workflow. The benefits from Axure RP have been negligible and, as I explore other prototyping tools (Proto.io stands out in my mind) I'm noticing that gap in functionality is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Axure RP review by Germanas L.
Germanas L.

"Been using axure since 2008, can't find a better alternative."

What do you like best?

All of the advanced features that other prototyping software doesn't have. I am used to create high fidelity prototypes fast. Combining ease of use with high functionality is the best feature of Axure. Time to try version 8.0.

What do you dislike?

I am missing fluid responsive prototyping. I know Axure has adaptive views but it seems like a lot of hassle for a rapid prototype. It is also really expensive. If you want fast prototype for a small website, just use cheaper or free alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be fooled with simple looking layout and tool set. Axure is a really powerful piece of software.

The prototype in our agency is the main document to further continue develop web or mobile apps. Without it we can't go in design stage. Axure helps us to achieve that.

Axure RP review by Aiyman S.
Aiyman S.

"Axure Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use! I use Axure mainly for wireframing and prototyping and it's great. For wireframing, it's really easy to drag and drop elements from the default library into your work area to begin constructing your wireframe. You can also download various libraries and increase the number of elements/widgets you can use. Prototyping is sightly more complex but ultimately allows me to mimic any interaction I can think of; it also allows for responsiveness and breaking points, Another one of my favorite things about Axure is the constant minor software releases aimed at always improving the product similar to mobile application updates.

What do you dislike?

It can become buggy when working on massive files (as in you may start seeing redundant, annoying error messages and may even encounter, although rare, system freezes/sudden shutdowns). Auto save tool is helpful but I believe only saves every 15 mins. It's also important to remember that Axure is optimized for low/mid fidelity deliverables and although you can produce hi-fi screens, it's not as easy/straight forward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a wireframing software that doubles equally as good as a prototyping tool, I can't think of a better solution.

Axure is my preferred tool as a UX Architect. I use it to create wireframes that try to solve interface problems or depict an experience, I use it to create interactive prototypes for usability testing and presentation purposes. It can also be used to create work flows, specification files and much more. As far as benefits, I have yet to find a tool that does all that as efficiently and intuitively as Axure. There's also a large user base and online literature so you can research/ask/learn virtually anything you can think of regarding using Axure.

Axure RP review by User

"Fantastic product for digital prototyping, with limitations"

What do you like best?

Axure is straight forward and easy to use on the surface. You can stick with basic wire framing, or you can dive in and so more complex and higher fidelity modeling.

What do you dislike?

You have very limited control over typography. If you're designing a site and want to test design features before building it out, it would be helpful to have more robust type tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make use of the Axure community which is rich with plugins and other solutions.

I am using Axure for two things right now, one where it excels and the other where it falls short. I am documenting my workflow and research findings in a visual and transparent way that's easy to share with my team. Between AxureShare and the layout tools, I have some simple and elegant illustrations. I am also using Axure to mock up a publishing tool that will publish to web and print, and there is absolutely no support in this area. You can overlay a print grid, but font sizes print at half scale. I have to hope over to InDesign to complete this work, but InDesign isn't really the right tool either.

Axure RP review by Clotilde S.
Clotilde S.

"Very good wireframing tool"

What do you like best?

You can almost do everything with Axure (design, interactions, web preview...)

What do you dislike?

It takes times to be effective on the tool because of the important number of features

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to train your users on the software in order to save time and to enjoy all the features of the products

I can do animated wireframes in order for my clients to visualize better the future product

Axure RP review by Steve T.
Steve T.

"Hard to Work With But Worth It"

What do you like best?

Allows you to create complex prototypes without having to code. Has the ability to share files which is a step up from other software like sketch. Has the ability to do basic wireframing if needed.

What do you dislike?

Using Axure and getting it to work the way you want it to feels like a workaround and in some ways it is exactly that. There is no need for code but there are times when it feels frustrating and unnecessarily complex to get something to work.

Creating prototypes such as Apps or Websites that users can interact with for testing purposes

Axure RP review by Perry B.
Perry B.

"Axure-Not as powerful as I wish"

What do you like best?

Axure is an easy to use tool when it comes to making my wireframes flow The animations are on point, and it really allows me to step outside of my comfort zone.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more of an integration with sketch or balsamiq.

Axure helps me manage my wireframes and microsites. It is a powerful took that allows for microsite utilization with animation schemes.

Axure RP review by Jann C.
Jann C.

"Axure RP is awesome"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use with great short video tutorials if you get stuck. You can get a design or even a working prototype together in minutes to get feedback and write requirements.

What do you dislike?

I would love to be able to add custom fields to my pages and export those with my documentation so I can more easily take notes that I can turn into requirements.

I use Axure RP to create wireframes, mockups and working prototypes as a tool towards writing requirements for new functions for our sotware

Axure RP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great but with Limitation"

What do you like best?

Great for high fidelity wireframes and interation flows for the product.

What do you dislike?

Small ecosystem and connectivity to sketch. Also the learning curve to axure is steep and it is feature packed, which sometimes demands attention and more time than initially planned.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure is great for indepth prototypes. the learning curve is a bit steep, but well worth the effort.

It helps me create accurate wireframes which replicate the real world scenario very well. They give a clear indication of the flow and use of the product to the entire team with minimum explanation. On few occasions, Axure wireframes have also been used for live user testing as the software allows you to build lot of details and features not usually available through invision and similar softwares.

Axure RP review by vipin s.
vipin s.

"Great for quick prototyping with basic animations "

What do you like best?

Great for quick prototyping.

Easily share the HTML prototype and let the user play with the UI, to get the actual feel of the interface.

In case the software crashes, it creates the backup of the file so that you can recovered the file.

Easy animation templates.

Can create shared library.

Easy to create user flows.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software crashes.

Expensive license cost.

Create usable interface and helps to improve the overall product usability.

Axure RP review by Tigran G.
Tigran G.

"Great tool for UX designers and Product Owners to make functional wireframes of your product"

What do you like best?

It have all variety of tools for UX designers starting from easy wireframes and ending on dynamic panels and variables.

What do you dislike?

I dont see any so "big" new featues looking for new versions. I really want to have this "wow factor" waiting for new Axure Version

Recommendations to others considering the product

All other UX designers think that Axure is big, "heavy" and complex tools. Its not true its really have answers for you for all type of work you want to do. If you need make really fast wireframes , voilla there are tools to to this in coffe break. You need make whole functional and clickable prototype. Voila sit and work.

Prototyping, creating live and working wireframes to test new concepts with users

Axure RP review by Consultant

"Nice tool for wireframing"

What do you like best?

Easy to layout controls and components on the screen, and organize all aspects of the UI together.

What do you dislike?

For complex UI, with a lot of pages, parts, areas, and components, it is not always straightforward to find your way around.

Also, the main focus is drawing the UI with basic components, and I would have liked the tool to be more helpful in automatically evaluating the UX quality and recommend best practices.

Wireframing to visualize the UI of the product, especially as part of new features.

Axure RP review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Useful tool for light prototypes; not so great for going robust"

What do you like best?

Axure is extremely easy to learn on the job. Their forums are extremely helpful, and a quick search on Google yields all sorts of free widgets, tutorials and prototypes for download. I found the ramp up time is very low if learning to use Axure. Additionally for light prototypes used for testing, Axure is a wonderful tool.

What do you dislike?

An Axure prototype always looks and feels like an Axure prototype. There's a bit of a gap between reality and Axure. If you're looking to build a robust app in Axure, it's a bit of a struggle. It definitely lends itself more to smaller prototypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to create wireframes that can easily be converted to a prototype, I recommend Axure over Sketch or Adobe Illustrator. If you're just making wireframes, then I may recommend Sketch. I enjoy the ease of converting my wireframes in Axure into a prototype. It has made my production time much lower since I started using Axure. I work on an Agile software team and need to work quickly as I am one or two sprints ahead of the engineers at all times.

I'm an Information Architect, and I like using Axure because it's easier for me than relying on an engineer to hard code a prototype. I use it for user testing in an Agile environment, and will continue to use it. I recommend Axure to people who want to construct prototypes or to people who want an alternative to building wireframes in Adobe Illustrator.

Axure RP review by Cara G.
Cara G.

"More than just Wireframes"

What do you like best?

The ability to prototype dynamic interactions and conditional logic. It's critical to be able to do this to really demonstrate the flow of an interface.

What do you dislike?

There are many web trends that are not easily replicated in the tool. Like creating an expand collapse area should be way easier.

Wireframing/prototyping is key step in the design process to identify functionality, content requirements, and hierarchy. Axure helps us complete this step.

Axure RP review by User

"With practice and patience, this is a powerful tool."

What do you like best?

Unlike other tools, this is truly made for wireframes. It doesn’t try to be a “jack of all traits” tool, it simply specializes in wireframes and does so really really effectively

What do you dislike?

This isn’t one of the most necessary tools for me to complete my job as a user experience designer. The problem is that the tool is far from intuitive. I had to watch videos to learn how to use the tool, otherwise I would have never understood how to use it.

Axure is at the heart of almost every project that goes out my agency’s doors. The tool doesn’t solve business problems itself but rather provides me with a platform to articulate and demonstrate Mommy recommended business solutions.

Axure RP review by Robson Z.
Robson Z.

"The most advanced prototype tool"

What do you like best?

Axure is a robust prototype software, with advanced interactions, responsive and sharing features.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is what avoid a lot of people to better understand and use the its full potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mainly if you need a hi-fidelity and funcional prototype, Axure is one of the best tools for that.

The only issue I see is with the adaptive views (responsive prototype), when you have so many pages the application becomes slow and can crash. That problem occurs more frequently when running on Windows OS.

It helps me to prototype sites, intranets and mobile apps very quickly, in low or hi-fidelity, and test it out with real users to discover potential issues before to start the interface design and development stage.

Axure RP review by Alessandra V.
Alessandra V.

"Good prototyping tool"

What do you like best?

Axure RP is overall a good prototyping tool.

It's easy and quick to install and can be used both on Windows and Mac.

It can build interactive, nice, professional-looking prototypes.

What do you dislike?

Personally, I prefer tools such as Balsamiq, that has a totally different feel.

Axure RP is great when you need a more polished and interactive prototype, but is of course less immediate to learn and use, and gives the impression of something "almost finished", so I would not suggest using it at the very beginning of a project.

It depends on personal tastes too.

I'm a UX consultant and use Axure RP when I need interactive prototypes.

Axure RP review by Elton G.
Elton G.

"Axure needs to improve Prototyping"

What do you like best?

This is the best software for professional prototyping.

It has numerous features to create libraries and templates elements, allows a fairly advanced editing actions, movements and effects.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem is Axure if compared to newer competitors where prototyping has become much easier and faster.

And I believe it would not be possible to simplify this software (as competitors) because of the amount of resources and their current complexity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you search a software for high-fidelity prototyping, consider using Axure, it is still the best marketing software.

The Axure allows a breakdown level in wireframe and prototype that enables a much more precise customer requirements validation. Including any effects that exist in the page scrolling or transition between sections.

Axure RP review by Rodrigo S.
Rodrigo S.

"High Fidelity Prototyping with Axure"

What do you like best?

Axure provides the environment to create low to high fidelity prototypes and that's what I enjoy the most. The possibility to create something like a sketch and then evolve to something like a portal with complex interactions is what makes Axure the right tool for Information Architects, Product Designers and UX Designers in general. The logical conditions and tools to create interactions are very efficient, these tools help us create the right environment for testing with users.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when you're trying to simulate an interaction, it's very hard to understand how you have to setup everything to make it work. The space of the GUI should be less dense and this would improve the readability of the tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure is a great tool for wireframing and prototyping, beware with the interactions you will build, sometimes you think you can simulate everything with this tool but this is not true, try to keep interactions simple and minimum viable.

Axure helps me to build prototypes inside an agile environment where we have to develop and test quickly with the objective to accomplish the continuous delivery.

Axure RP review by Ebony K.
Ebony K.

"Azure in the crunch"

What do you like best?

When POs need to see something fast, it's good.

What do you dislike?

Loads sort of slowly. Some firewall issues. Text layout limitations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If ur using frameworks create manuals to help users integrate and navigate them well.

Supporting prototyping for Agile teams. Preparing screen packages for OMB approval.

Axure RP review by Consultant in Financial Services
Consultant in Financial Services

"Great interaction prototyping tool"

What do you like best?

I like how powerful the storytelling and prototyping features. It is a great tool to quickly show interactions and behaviors. This is as close you will get without having to build a real product.

What do you dislike?

There's a steep learning curve to learn Axure. Sometimes there are known bugs of Axure that you'll have to get creative to bypass the limitations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it's a pretty powerful tool for prototyping and showing interactions without having to build a real prototype. Axure is easy to make changes once you know the simple mechanisms. I got a lot of great feedback from Clients who've seen my prototypes.

Storytelling and demoing prototypes to higher management.

Axure RP review by Solona A.
Solona A.

"Great for quick mockups"

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use with a low learning curve. It's easy to make great mockups. My favourite feature is the Masters which allow you to create reusable elements over all your pages.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't fully represent CSS and JavaScript. I found myself having to compromise on design to demonstrate functionality or vice versa. It doesn't allow for nested conditional statements the way JavaScript does, so it's limited in its ability to truly mock up a complex website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up your responsive widths FIRST.

Design, UX, mockups.

"So much control"

What do you like best?

With Axure you can create so much more than your simple click through prototype. There's definitely a small learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be creating beautiful realistic prototypes in no time.

What do you dislike?

Like i mentioned above, there's a learning curve so you can't just jump in and start prototyping. They're not quite there with syncing assets and screens like invision, but you do have way more flexibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you do the free training offered by Axure.

I'm creating realistic prototypes down to micro-interactions which have been extremely helpful in working with my development teams.

Axure RP review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Axure RP is the best prototyping tool out there"

What do you like best?

I love the robustness of the product. The fact that you can inject jQuery proves to be immensely helpful at removing the constraints.

What do you dislike?

I wish the jQuery ability was a little more intuitive for designers with limited knowledge in coding. I find that it's hard for some of my designers to feel like they're getting up to speed on the product because they don't feel comfortable with jQuery. I think this is more of a limitation on the designer's skill sets rather than the fault of the product though.

We use Axure RP for rapid prototyping and testing.

Axure RP review by Ariana L.
Ariana L.

"Very powerful tool"

What do you like best?

I like that you can almost do anything that you can currently do on a website, if feels like you building a real website. I also like that you have all the tools you need such as images, icons, shapes you can basically design and prototype all in one place which makes it so much easier for me.

What do you dislike?

The number one thing I would say is it's not as visual, it doesn't look as pretty as a photoshop mockup or a sketch UI, it has more of a technical feel to it so the focus is more on the usability and trying to have it really replicate what the website may be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great if you want your users to get an understanding of how your website may work.

The biggest problem Axure solves is it helps come up with workable prototypes that feel like your using a website. I was so surprised to see some of the things you can do such as animations, dropdowns, motions which I have never seen in any other prototyping software yet. It brings the user closer to the actual product which makes it a very powerful tool.

Axure RP review by Alex T.
Alex T.

"Powerful but Not Useful Tool"

What do you like best?

I have been using Axure RP for couple of years now. Although it is not my main wireframing or prototyping tool, I still like it power and what it can provide (if you want to create a complex prototypes).

The main features I like in Axure is libraries (although there are not much). Easy drag and drop elements is another nice feature. Also, ability to create a clickable prototypes right in the same software.

What do you dislike?

Although Axure is pretty powerful tool, it has a lack of good UI and UX.

I've been in design and technology industry for more than 20 years and I can say I can use any I literally mean any type of software with any type of navigation and interface, but even for me sometimes it was difficult to follow my workflow with this tool.

I have been using Axure RP to create wireframes and simple clickable prototypes. Basically architecting products.

Axure RP review by Paola Andrea M.
Paola Andrea M.

"My experience with Axure"

What do you like best?

Axure lets you create not just wireframes or prototypes (e.g. the "flow diagram" option).

The "team project" optionscan be helpful when you want to share the project with coworkers o clients for reviewing it.

If you have a programming background then the Dynamic Panel interactions will be easier to use for you than if you don't.

The Widget manager is easier to use compared with another tools.

What do you dislike?

The "case" management could be better... Just having "and" and "or" conditions is not enough, you need to make so many conditions for something that could be made in a single one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will need to have patience and time if you are totally a noob using prototyping tools, Axure is not the most intuitive one. The forums and comunity will be really helpful for you.

A good logic skills will be a plus if you want to give good use to Dynamic Panels

I have been using Hi-Fi prototyping for usability tests and is easier to know if the client/user will face problems using something they can consider "too complex" or they will understand the workflow.

Having the notes and the team options make easier to know what needs to be modified.

Axure RP review by Felix H.
Felix H.

"Axure is one of my most frequently used prototyping and wireframing tools"

What do you like best?

It is really powerful and you can really achieve a lot. You can do quick wireframes as well as complex high fidelity prototypes. It is very well documented and has a huge community. It is also an advantage that it is available for both Mac and Windows platforms. The learning curve is low in the beginning. One huge benefit are team projects.

What do you dislike?

The interface tends to be terrible. With growing complexity, logic and variables it is getting more and more inefficient. Even so it is easy to start, it is soon getting really tricky for more advanced prototypes. If you don't think strategically in the beginning it is possible to fail, especially for beginners. It is not great to use as a design tool (it is possible, though). Furthermore, both Mac and Windows versions have different usability and/or performance issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very expensive but it is also way more powerful than most of the tools on the market.

Quick wireframes as well as complex high fidelity software simulations, interactive wireframes, sitemaps, flowcharts,...

Axure RP review by Megan K.
Megan K.

"Easy to use and efficient"

What do you like best?

Overall, I think Axure is a great tool to use for wireframing. The tools are easily accessible and anyone with little experience to expert level can use this program. They also offer a free 30 day trial so you can try it out if you are trying to decide what to use.

What do you dislike?

If you do decide you want to go with Axure, it is expensive. Compared to InVision and Sketch (two programs that I also use), Axure is the most expensive. If my company didn't buy the software and provide it for me, I probably would choose to use other programs over this because of the price tag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program to use if you can afford the price tag on a membership. I would recommend doing the 30 day free trials with this and a few other top rated programs to figure out if this is the right one for you.

Creating easy, clean, and professional wireframes for client projects. The times I have used this program its been efficient and the flow diagrams included have been really helpful.

Axure RP review by Meg D.
Meg D.

"Tool for creating high-fidelity prototypes"

What do you like best?

Axure RP has a lot of features that allow you to create high-fidelity prototypes. You can import any and all types of artwork, you can customize colors and styles, you can even do a small amount of logic and programming to get a very customized prototype. Once you have completed your prototype Axure turns it into a clickable webpage that you can host locally on your machine or host on the web somewhere. Having it hosted on the web means that you can share your prototype and conduct remote usability testing. Overall, Axure is a very powerful prototyping tool.

What do you dislike?

While it is easy to drag and drop common app elements, like buttons, check boxes, text boxes, etc....using the more advanced features requires a bit of poking around and searching for tutorials. For example, I was able to prototype a parallax design in Axure RP, but it required lots of internet searching, tutorial reading, and getting friendly with the Axure users community. (However, I find it pretty amazing that I was able to prototype a parallax design with this tool at all!)

When you need to test new or unique interaction techniques, or high-fidelity prototypes, I would use Axure. It is a more advanced and complex prototyping tool that enables you to create more advanced and complex prototypes.

Axure RP review by Fanny S.
Fanny S.

"Steep learning curve but well worth your time"

What do you like best?

To start of I need to tell you that I have been using Axure for many years now. So to me it a fast & easy piece of software to use, but that won't be true for everyone. Especially for new users it might take a while to figure out just exactly how everything works, but I think it is more than worth your time.

What I like most about Axure is that it can be used for a wide range of projects. Yes, maybe another product can be a lot easier if you are working on a small app or website. Siince I started to work as an Interaction Designer at a software company where a product can have a 100+ different screens with variable data on them other alternatives just don't make much sense.

What I also like is that Axure offers the posibillity to design for different screen sizes, exports to html that works on every device for prototyping, works on both Mac and PC, offers a lot of variables for interaction, has a relatively big community, doesn't offer me the possibility's to overdesign and let's me open multiple projects at the same time.

What do you dislike?

Altough I can design for multiple screen sizes in the same document it isn't exactly responsive. For high fidelity interactive wireframes and prototypes I still use html, css and javascript. On the other hand I haven't found any other wireframing tool that can do that to my satisfaction. Maybe I have high standards or maybe it is because coding is just as easy as using Axure, or at least for me it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the end everyone has different requirements but you won't know if Axure meets yours if you don't give it a try.

I can harldy draw a strait line with a pencil, Photoshop/ Illustrator let me fall into the trap of overdesigning my wireframes and Balsamiq was not powerfull enough. I have tried other products in the past but always came back to Axure. Maybe it is because old love never truly dies and love can be blinding at times, but I just happen to love Axure.

Axure helps me with creating wireframes in a fast and powerfull way. Is it better in solving bussiness problems than other programs? I truly don't know, all I know is that it enables me to create beautifull and usable interfaces that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Axure RP review by Victoria A.
Victoria A.

"Very effective for usability tests, a bit of a learning curve, limited animations."

What do you like best?

I like that Axure allows for designing both low and high fidelity mockups. It allows the user to control virtually all interactions you could think of. The adaptive views are very useful (a full responsive experience would be nice). It really adjusts the way I design actually, but having a more interaction-focused design workflow than say illustrator. That said I like that I can import artwork from illustrator it really save a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

I think the animations are a bit limited. If the animations were well done I could use the prototype as a way to communicate the interactions better to development. A little more responsivity when adjusting on the adapting views on the browser would also be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will require a learning curve but definitely worth the effort.

I am helping get more feedback on designs, designing with an interaction-first mentality and (hopefully with the help of better animations in the future) communicating my design to my team.

Axure RP review by Ihab E.
Ihab E.

"Fullfilling, nothing I ever wanted in my prototyping tool and I could not find in Axure RP "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I create anything, that there are a lot of asset libraries. Most of all that I can use this tool offline because in Egypt we have Internet issues frequently thus if I am using an online tool I might lose access to i at some point.

It accommodates responsive designs which has high demands lately.

It is like word, easy to learn and everything is there and if you get stuck you can always resort to the community for work arounds.

What do you dislike?

The price is too high for an individual, best case scenario is to subscribe through your company.

The interface looks a little bit old versus other products while it should be more trendy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try for a big complicated project, simple projects are not a real challenge for Axure.

I am solving the issue of not being able to provide near to actual prototypes. at the end user feels as he is on the live version of the website.

Axure RP review by Olesia K.
Olesia K.

"Love this product! My favorite wireframing tool so far!"

What do you like best?

I like how easy and fast Axure RP allows you creating interactive prototypes. It saves tons of time with comparison how long it would take to create similar prototype, using HTML and CSS. Plus you can link you pages to JavaScript code and make you interactive prototype even more realistic. You can prototype almost everything. And it is very convenient for user testing, because you can build your prototype in few days, and test it right away with potential users. It is a must have product for any UX designer! I recommend this product to all my UX colleagues

What do you dislike?

I would like to have more free widgets. Also adding conditions to cases is kind of complicated procedure. You do not always know what conditions should be chosen. Also it's not very intuitive and easy to learn

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software for UX designers

My team and I use Axure to create prototypes for data visualization software, data network software, enterprise software and business intelligence software. Additionally, I created prototypes of interviewer apps for android smartphones and tablets

Axure RP review by User in Design
User in Design

"Well rounded design software with a bit of a learning curve."

What do you like best?

I like being able to move from rough sketched prototypes, which I can export as images. Then move to higher fidelity prototypes, add color, images, and final use an HTML web based prototype to show clients. I also really enjoy the ability to create interactions for my designs. When I finish a design, I know I can hand over the HTML prototype and will see a developed product exactly the same as mine.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is quite high, so I'm still learning the ins and outs after 2 years of use. I also dislike that they didn't take into consideration the main shortcut keys used by some many other programs. The majority of their users are also going to be using Adobe software and Microsoft software to some extent, yet the shortcut keys don't reflect those programs. I also find it hard to get answers to my questions. I find myself spending far too much time on forums to accomplish simple tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a very extensive piece of software, and does really well when working from concepting, to wireframes, to final prototype. If you only do one of these things, Axure RP might not be for you.

I think this program is a good working environment, where I can start and end a single project in it. It makes it extremely easy to put together a design and continuously show the client what the final product will look like. It has really streamlined my approach to building betters user experiences.

Axure RP review by Robert N.
Robert N.

"Axure helps me communicate complicated IXD experiences efficiently and with less documentation."

What do you like best?

Of all the tools I've used, Axure seems to have the highest ceiling in terms of representing both the fidelity and the interactive elements of a design. Less is lost in the translation when communicating your ideas to team members and stakeholders. You can very easily demo the design and talk about it, with little abstraction. It also helps me work through design problems as I am designing that I might not see with static, or minimally interactive tools.

What do you dislike?

1) A visual designer can't build on or export from the file into the tool they are using. They will likely rebuild it in Adobe. This leads to some hiccups, slowing things down and having to maintain an evolving design in two files. 2) Cannot easily export or print all the views you have created as discrete static pages (for instance, as a pdf).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider which tool matches your team's needs and workflow.

1) We have pretty strict Sprint schedules that require quick steady design production. We can churn designs out quickly, with less need for documentation. We can also bring in enough fidelity that a visual designer often does not need to touch it. 2) With an SVN, we have been able to successfully manage three UX designers working together in the same file with few access or version control issues. 3) I believe that we are solving a lot of design/behavior problems before they surface in development. This saves us time and resources.

Axure RP review by Anish N.
Anish N.

"Powerful but outdated"

What do you like best?

I like the prototyping options in Axure. It offers an extremely powerful suite of actions to create full prototypes for testing. Publishing these prototypes to the web is an absolute breeze as well.

What do you dislike?

I hate how the tool handles layers, widgets and dynamic panels. Making small changes or iterations becomes increasingly difficult as files get bigger and more complicated. Axure also doesn't have the best looking or easiest to use interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that you use this tool only if you are looking for a lot of prototyping options. In that respect, the tool doesn't disappoint. If you're new to it, be prepared to spend some time learning, though!

I was using this tool simply because it was what was being used in my workplace. I eventually switched to sketch and photoshop (which I was more comfortable using). My colleagues use this tool extensively for prototyping. I simply do not know of any tool that provides a more powerful suite of prototyping functions.

For large enough prototypes however, I feel that we end up writing a ton of 'pseudo - code' (which is basically a lot of rules, conditions etc.) that it might be easier (and faster) to create the prototype in HTML/CSS directly.

Axure RP review by Jacob A.
Jacob A.

"Axure 7.0 PRO"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to create wireframes. I love the widget option, which allows me to duplicate whole or in part, without having to re-create the same exact item. The share option allows me to either share the wireframes or the prototype, which is helpful in usability testing and for remote development teams.

It also provides for more and better interactions like a flipcard interaction.

There is also a very large and robust library available .

What do you dislike?

The interactions can be difficult to program. The dynamic panels are also somewhat difficult to program. The recipient of the prototypes think this is true HTML, which it is not, but it does confuse the stakeholders. There is also no built-in version control.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It supports both PC and Mac.

Rapid prototyping essentially. Validating navigation, as well as content strategy.

I have come to realize that many stakeholder did not think it was easy or cheap to rapidly prototype.

Axure RP review by Elizabeth M.
Elizabeth M.

"Favorite UX Tool"

What do you like best?

This is a great tool for responsive design, and prototyping and a variety of fidelities. It can be used to link existing wires or design comps, or build a prototype with pseudo code that holds variables and allows for free user control and entry of data. Can also include a database.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat of a learning curve, some simple things, like sliders, aren't possible without crazy hacks and work arounds.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a high level of control or a lot of image altering you might want to try Framer.JS or hand coding, however for all kinds of static content this is a great tool that I love using. Works well with user testing just by sending a link and is device agnostic.

Have used this for two big projects for totally different companies/industries and am very happy with this tool -- its great for those who are uncomfortable with coding but are great with UI tools like sketch/Adobe.

Axure RP review by Henry T.
Henry T.

"Axure is one the most robust tools out there with a low-to-medium learning curve"

What do you like best?

The ease of making functions (if and else statements), repeaters, usage of dynamic panels, and AxShare are all great features that Axure has to offer.

What do you dislike?

Setting up a mobile design file in Axure could be a convoluted experience and difficult to set up. Axure is also pretty weak on executing complex animations relative to what Framer and Principal have to offer. The notes section is also a weak function of Axure which is something I sincerely hope they fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a question on how to do something in Axure, your question has most likely been asked in the community which will take a bit of hunting and pecking to find

Sharing documentations and early wireframes with Product team can be easily done when Axure file is uploaded to server. If information architecture is done accurately, the Audience is able to read our work like a book and would be able to reference page number and assets.

Axure RP review by Carl P.
Carl P.

"A wonderful product"

What do you like best?

The easy prototyping. It is very easy to create lo-res wireframes, then clean them up and add interaction. The fact that you can share a URL with a client and continually make updates to that file is great. Axure 8 added the ability to create your own bezier shapes and that was a huge plus for us. I use a huge library of our components and that is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the content flowed when you add items above, more like a web page would. Outlines and rules don't work the same way that they do in CSS/HTML. Most of the program seems designed to work like the final CSS/HTML would work. It would be nice if you could do more batch work like adding interactions to multiple items at the same time. It's a little time consuming to do complicated programming. It's nice that you can do pretty complicated programming, but it's a little clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely worth the money. Being able to share a URL with clients is worth the price.

Axure RP review by Nati A.
Nati A.

"The most complete prototyping tools"

What do you like best?

What I like about Axure is that it accompanies me across all the ux planning and design process. You can do tree maps to fully explain the information architecture, and go for low-fi or high-fi wireframes. From an interaction perspective, it is by far the most complete tool too. I have created several prototypes in Axure in which I had to convince my customer that they were not using the real product. It allows to get to very high realism using data and interactions.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes buggy (but that's maybe because I'm using the beta). It doesn't look as sleek and fancy as other competitors. But it's getting better on that too. I have no real cons. It's a great tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a UX designer, this is the only tool you need, ever. Even the pricing policy is very comfortable and the program keeps being updated and things are added.

From a UI perspective, it is getting very good, but you will not be able to export assets or get proper CSS. For this, I would recommend using a proper UI tool.

Axure RP review by Kevin T.
Kevin T.

"The Crown Jewel of Prototyping Tools -- if you're willing to learn"

What do you like best?

Axure is a truly flexible and powerful tool, and at least at my company it is seen as the one prototyping tool that can truly do ALMOST anything if you know how to use it correctly. I work at an enterprise software company designing fairly complex tools so we rely on Axure's dynamic panels, large (and extensible) widget set, and power for when simple hotspotting won't cut the mustard.

AxShare and Preview abilities ground things to a realistic setting, and make sharing with stakeholders/developers/other designers insanely easy.

What do you dislike?

We constantly talk about this -- for all that Axure is good for, it's also complex and can get unwieldy . If you're working with simple use cases, Axure can seem like overkill. And then if you're working on something big and epic and complex, Axure can start to feel HEAVY. We often say it can become akin to "moving around boulders". Additionally, if you've added any sort of complex logic in to your prototypes, making changes that would otherwise be trivial becomes a fairly involved thing -- you might have to change logic for one element, then another, then another, only to realize that you've forgotten to change it for three other things that were connected in some way. However, all of these headaches make sense when you begin to dissect them and your prototypes are only as complex as you make them, so like I said before once you learn how to efficiently build prototypes in Axure it becomes easier and easier. You just need to "hit your stride" as they say.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- COMPLETE THEIR ONLINE TUTORIALS!!! They're good and despite being simple, they start you off on the right foot.

- Google is your friend. Just Google something you're trying to do in Axure, and typically you'll find a couple Axure Forum threads about exactly the thing you're trying to do. One of the benefits of using the leading prototyping tool is that very few use cases are truly new.

Axure RP review by Jan Z.
Jan Z.

"Extremely powerful yet overlooked wireframe and prototyping tool"

What do you like best?

Axure does most of what the current breed popular wireframe tools do (Sketch, etc.), and more. Axure comes with a very powerful action / prototyping engine that allows you to string together animations and other hard-to-describe interactions that are difficult to show or describe in other ways.

Axure also has a very strong templating / "objects" aspect where you can easily drop objects within objects, and editing the template of the object affects every instance of that object. This makes Axure useful for creating modular designs and wireframe languages for a suite of features across your app.

Lastly, Axure is great in sharing products to customers, as you can upload your work to a private, passworded link (for free, no less) to be shared with clients. This is invaluable for delivering work.

What do you dislike?

Axure does have a few downsides, mostly in regards to visual design. It doesn't look like a piece of software designed for "designers" as your work doesn't appear as beautiful as the work that comes out of something like Sketch.

Axure also hasn't built up such a feverish user base compared to Sketch, and doesn't seem to support plugins that Sketch has. With that said, Sketch is what you make out of it, you can definitely put in the time to improve your presentation, and with the prototyping functionality you can even built a "meta prototype" by adding interactive functionality to guide your users through your design.

Axure is also buggy, especially for Macs. Sometimes it can become a resource hog as a few memory bugs seems to increase memory use over time. Some designer features like snapping-to-grid can also work unexpectedly, sometimes making for a difficult time designing things.

All in all the pros outweigh the cons in this extremely powerful prototype and wireframe package. I would probably recommend Axure over Sketch for most companies and applications I've previously encountered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Axure RP review by Deacon A.
Deacon A.

"Extremely powerful Prototyping tool"

What do you like best?

There's so much control & capability over your wireframing/prototyping, you can get authentically helpful user testing when you need it.

What do you dislike?

I'm a very novice user, so some of it seems overwhelming. Maybe if the program was easier to take in and learn, that'd make me switch from InVision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need deep-level user testing for forms & such, consider RP over their more simple competitors.

Information architecture, wireframing, user testing. I've been able to get valid feedback over things like forms, compared to faking it with other, more simple prototyping tools.

Axure RP review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Powerful prototyping tool supports a wide range of interactions but not custom JavaScript."

What do you like best?

I use Axure RP to build lightweight interactive UX prototypes for usability tests. It does a great job of getting input from forms and making it possible to store, manipulate, and use the data throughout the prototype, which makes simulations for usability tests more realistic. And Dynamic Panels make it possible to build convincing simulations of single-page web applications.

What do you dislike?

I'd really like to be able to write and use custom JavaScript in Axure prototypes, to include more complex data structures, use real data from usability test participants, and do more complex data manipulation. A plug-in architecture for this would be great. And I miss not being able to creae named functions that I can use throughout a prototype.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether you need custom JavaScript for your prototypes and, if so, look at alternatives such as Justinmind and Framer.js. But if not, Axure offers a great balance of power and ease of learning.

Axure RP review by Fabien R.
Fabien R.

"Variety of functions from quick to advanced prototypes but could be more user-friendly"

What do you like best?

The possibility to create masters for elements you want to re-use so you don't have to re-create the duplicates if you have to modify the original one.

Dynamic panel are a great way to create animated elements that can change of state when mousing over for example.

the possibility to share the wireframes.

the possibility to export blueprints through Word

What do you dislike?

The Preview/prototype interface that you have to open in a browser does not respond very efficiently with some interaction on dynamic panels for example.

If you want to show it to your team, you have to re-share it everytime you make a modification on a wireframe/prototype

I think the interface could be more user-friendly especially for interactions and less old looking.

the sitemaping, liking between interface/elements could be more intuitive to set up.

- realizing quick wireframes.

- Understanding better the users through prototypes with user tests

Axure RP review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Easy to make wireframes, but increasingly harder to create polished prototypes."

What do you like best?

I like how with experience, axure can be an easy go-to tool for creating wireframes, especially if it's the main design software used in the team. The sidebar with objects you can click and drag makes it easy to pull wireframes together.

What do you dislike?

Shortcuts aren't very obvious and you have to search for them before you can even learn them. I like to use shortcuts when designing as it makes designing wireframes and prototypes even more efficient and time-saving.

We are solving how to create educational platforms that cover all the complex needs and constraints of teachers and state-mandated curriculum standards, while keeping the product clean, easy and delightful for teachers and students to use.

Axure RP review by User in Higher Education

"Axure from a human factors graduate student prospective "

What do you like best?

the simplicity of the use. I taught a class once on using Axure and it went nice and smooth.

What do you dislike?

some of the functions on the app that i use a lot could be placed on more visible place or have a short cut, like the "if" function.

we do prototyping. When ever we have a concept in mind, or an idea we want to explain to designers or test an idea with users, we use Axure for that.

Axure RP review by Jennifer G.
Jennifer G.