Backblaze

The cloud storage solution you have been waiting for - Simple to use, easy to scale, flexible and robust.

Work for Backblaze?
Druva insync  qos  2x

Learning about Backblaze?

Backblaze Reviews

Ask Backblaze a Question
Showing 31 Backblaze reviews
Backblaze review by <span>Héctor Hernán B.</span>
Héctor Hernán B.

Simply the best cloud backup service.

What do you like best?

- Very easy to install and the use

- Install and forget, you don't need to do any additional setup, the default installation makes Backblaze to start backing up all your files BUT if needed you can further customize and specify specific files or drives to backup

- True unlimited backup, there is no limit in the amount of data to backup

- the software is very well designed that it works silently in the background with very minimal resource impact when analyzing and backing up, also the software is very resource friendly

- Tech support is superb, they have always provided excellent service and support

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the inherit backup function needs to be further enhanced and improved. Sometimes inheriting a backup when you re-image your computer can be a very tedious task, because sometimes backblaze is unable to properly initialize this process and the troubleshooting consist uninstalling and reinstalling the software and rebooting the computer

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best cloud backup solution out there, just check other reviews and comparisons

Cloud backup with a reliable third party vendor

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Backblaze
Backblaze review by <span>Chris T.</span>
Chris T.

Excellent backup that stays out of the way

What do you like best?

I love that it runs in the background and is always up to date. I honestly forget that it's installed on my machine sometimes because it is so out of the way. The easy to use menu bar applet provides quick access to settings and to see what I have backed up and what still needs to be backed up.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything that Backblaze needs to change. It is hands down the best cloud based backup solution that I have found.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your initial backup over a weekend to reduce bandwidth usage. If possible, do it hard wired so that you can do your initial upload faster.

Backblaze provides me a worry free and easy way to keep my work laptop backed up. It uses an easy to access menu bar applet to let me know it's status during the day.

What Backup solution do you use?

Backblaze review by User in Internet

Painless set it and forget it personal backup

What do you like best?

Install the app, set up what it should backup, and forget it. Just runs in the background slowly moving and syncing your files. Its saved me more than once when a file locally was destroyed and local backups were unavailable. The web interface for getting to any file from your system from anywhere is a massive advantage.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the throttling is not always reliable can affect the connection speed of the system when it tries to upload a large file change. The interface to view exactly which files are changed and awaiting backup could be improved.

Backblaze provides an easy way for employees to ensure their systems are backed up to never lose work productivity. Since its cloud based, it does not rely on users having to remember to physically connect to external backup devices or initiate backups. Used in conjunction with a complete backup scheme of periodic drive clones and point in time backups (ex Time Machine), never lose another file or system configuration for a minimum amount of effort.

Backblaze review by <span>Maria G.</span>
Maria G.

Keeps My Files Safe...and my Mind Sane

What do you like best?

Backblaze is located on the top right hand corner of my screen. I barely ever take notice of it and thats one of the best aspects of it. It's performing backups in the background and I barely ever notice. There are no performance issues and my system does not slow down, even while the backup is performed.

What do you dislike?

I would love to be able to perform restores directly from the application itself vs having to do it on the backblaze website. I recently had to perform a large restore and there was a lot of shifting between the application and the website which added a lot of time to the process.

Backblaze ensures that all my personal and work files are kept safe in a cloud, vs having to rely on an external hard drive. I am unable to carry an external hard drive everywhere I go, so it's great being able to have everything in a cloud vs in a physical product. I have a lot of work files within the backups so it's great to be able to travel and have all my work files with me.

Backblaze review by <span>Madhu S.</span>
Madhu S.

Has great features that competitors lack

What do you like best?

There are many online backup solutions, but Backblaze has five advantages:

1) Allows for personal encryption keys

You can set a personal key (password) on your back-up which means no one (not even Backblaze can see it). I have nothing to hide, but you never know when some hacker could break into Backblaze and steal your files. Because of the personal key, any stolen data will be useless.

2) Cheaper monthly fee

Backblaze is nearly $5 a cheaper month than the competition.

3) No clutter

Some backup solutions clutter your hard drive with hidden files. Backblaze does not do this.

4) Can backup external drives.

Backblaze is one of the few services that let you back up external drives.

5) Restore to hard drive

If you have a lot of data to restore, Backblaze can put it on a physical drive and then ship it to you. There is a charge for this, but it’s a big time saver especially if you need to restore a few GBs of data.

What do you dislike?

Backblaze does have some disadvantages:

1) Poor restoration interface

The interface for restoring files is not very good. If you know what files you want, then it’s acceptable. But if you need to browse through files first to find the right version, it’s very cumbersome and difficult to use. It uses the Window’s tree format to organization information, so there’s a lot of clicking involved and it’s not very snappy. There aren’t any previews so you have to download files before seeing them.

2) Restoration interface is not mobile friendly

Although the restoration interface works on mobile, it’s really been designed for desktop, which makes it very cumbersome to use.

Competitors like Carbonite have apps which allow you to browse backups on mobile.. Backblaze offers nothing like this and it’s a big disadvantage.

3) Slow warnings

If for some reason your computer gets disconnected from Backblaze, it can take 10 days to alert you. It would be better if alerted you after an hour.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Backblaze has a free 30 day trial, so you can test to see if you like it.

If you don’t plan to restore files that often, Backblaze is an excellent choice. It has the lowest price and offers the best security.

However, if you plan to do restoring frequently, you may wish to go with a service that has a better interface, as the Backblaze interface for restoring files leaves a lot to be desired.

I use Backblaze to back up all my work files. You just set it and forget it. I have also restored many of my files and it was a painless process.

Backblaze review by <span>Andrew D.</span>
Andrew D.

Excellent Software, Upload Speeds and Recovery Options

What do you like best?

The thing I like best about Backblaze is that it just runs in the background, and I can set when I want it to run, and with a click, I can delay it for 2 hrs. I like that I can download a file quickly from the site. My friend tested the hard drive recovery, and it was excellent (3 days or so to the East coast). He was able to get a refund for the drive when he shipped it back.

What do you dislike?

The fact that if a drive is disconnected for 60 days without tricking the system into thinking it is still attached by shutting down and pulling out the plug. Then I think you get 6 months before your data will be erased. Data should never be deleted in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the service with the caveat that you must keep your drives connected to the main system you are backing up or Backblaze will eventually delete your data.

I'm backing up important data and helping my clients. I have gained the trust of my clients when they were able to retrieve important data through Backblaze.

Learning about Backblaze?

* We monitor all Backblaze reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.