BarTender

BarTender® software by Seagull Scientific enables organizations around the world to improve safety, security, efficiency and compliance by creating and automating labels, barcodes, RFID tags, plastic cards and more.

Work for BarTender?

Learning about BarTender?

BarTender Reviews

Ask BarTender a Question
Showing 10 BarTender reviews
BarTender review by Brandon A.
Brandon A.

"Bartender is great for more than just labels"

What do you like best?

The template designer is like using powerpoint. Very easy, no coding, lots of options. You can be very simple, but there are more levels that you can get to to make very intelligent reports. It's very slick for setting up labels, and it works really well with the zebra printers. Other programs don't seem to be able to print to zebra printers very easily. We also use it for making regular paper reports too. It's way easier than SSRS reports to manage.

What do you dislike?

About the only thing that I can think of is there needs to be some easier to set up monitoring. We use drop files triggers for most of our printing. (CSV files created by other programs). Because end users aren't using the front end, they won't get the error messages. I would like a better notification system for when the integration gets stopped, which happens occasionally. Then I could be more pro-active instead of a call from an end user that says, "it just doesn't work" which of course is IT's favorite complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using label printers, this software is super easy.

We use it for pretty much all label printing. I have customizations in our ERP system (Epicor) where a user clicks a button and epicor drops the file in place for the trigger to print with Bartender. So much easier than SSRS reports. We also had an app developed for us for making packing lists and it uses the same functionality. We would have had to pay a lot more, and had much less flexibility to have the app handle printing for us.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about BarTender
BarTender review by Deirdre D.
Deirdre D.

"Decent for barcodes and labels"

What do you like best?

I can save a "template" and then overwrite it to use for something else. I also like that it can pull data from Excel, so I don't have to type everything in. The stickers (while expensive) last really well on tubes in -80*C. We can print thousands or just 1-2 labels, which means less waste of the label sheets.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it's not super user-friendly. I find myself explaining how to use it to co-workers (especially older ones) at least twice, if not more. Also - I'm not sure if it's a printer issue or a software issue, but sometimes when the preview says that the label is within the sticker restrictions, it ends up being off-center or enough off of the label that it has to be re-printed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it, but make sure you have someone competent with software around while the main users get acquainted.

We print the labels for aliquots and also for (thousands) of samples that we send the labels out and receive the samples back labelled. It does work better than Freezerworks.

Having printed labels benefits us by not having to read someone's terrible handwriting and not having to print via Word onto a sheet of labels is nice as it is less wasteful.

We really under-use this product, as we mostly only use it for label making. It does a pretty decent job of it though.

What Barcode solution do you use?

BarTender review by Administrator in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
Administrator in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Horrible Tech support, very quirky software"

What do you like best?

The GUI aspects of the software make it very easy to design simple labels. If you understand the edits in Microsoft Word, you will understand the edits in BarTender.

What do you dislike?

It stops working often, upgrades are a nightmare, and getting tech support to help is rare.

The software has a mind of its own and labels that work one day will stop working a few days later.

If a field is blank, it causes the software to produce unexpected results.

The cost of having someone come and help us get set up made it not feasible. The documentation is very limited. Various features of the software are useless because you have no way of knowing what benefits they have or how to get them to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at other software. BarTender is the main software on the market, however, they know it. Unless you are on the west coast and can wait weeks to get answers, they have bad customer support.

It took us months to get the software installed and working properly. Once it was installed, we have had a few issues that we have asked for support. I submit the ticket and it gets escalated to the next level, then wait weeks to get a response.

Need to maintain and print hundreds of labels around the world from a legacy system.

BarTender review by User

"I Love This Program"

What do you like best?

My company has been using Bartender software for at least the last 10 years. They have been everything that we could ask for and more. Seagull Scientific has always been very helpful to work with. We recently switched to a different accounting software, and they were able to help us create some templates that interact with our new software!

What do you dislike?

Nothing. All of my previous dislikes, have been addressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is great.

Labeling of products for retail and inventory purposes.

BarTender review by Administrator in Industrial Automation
Administrator in Industrial Automation

"Versatile label printing and development "

What do you like best?

I like that I can link the label to a query or a spreadsheet for multiple lines printed or I can type out single labels that I need to print. Minimal setup and maximum results

What do you dislike?

The developer screen isn’t exactly what you see is what you get

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bartender can link into many programs to autoprint labels, check with your vendor

Printed bin shelf labels for the entire warehouse from a spreadsheet. Setup the label once and printed all.

BarTender review by James O.
James O.

"As Industrial Engineer in a distribution center, I make labels for cases, & products"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of creating labels. I also like the ability to print to file and modify the ZPL code if necessary. Bartender is a leader in the industry, so knowing how to use it is transferable to other companies.

What do you dislike?

The biggest thing that I dislike is that it is so expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bartender does everything that you could want.

Customers have specific label guidelines that must be developed into appropriate labels.

BarTender review by Administrator

"Very good stable software. easy to configure."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it interfaces well with tour Windows based print server., and that it's easy to configure. I also like the Commander software.

What do you dislike?

It seems that it can only single thread and though rare, we get a backlog now and then.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you use the printer drivers that come from Seagull Scientific and not the windows drivers.

On time label printing for our packaging lines.

BarTender review by User in Research
User in Research

"Overwhelming but powerful"

What do you like best?

If you need to manage a label database, Bartender has been a lifesaver. You can manage enormous swaths of info across a multitude of label templates.

What do you dislike?

Some of the setup is a bit convoluted. I've often found that completely starting over with new templates is faster and easier than editing an existing one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! The tool is fantastic

Manage several thousand SKUs worth of labels and their templates

BarTender review by User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Makes label printing easy"

What do you like best?

Easy printing of the labels. It interfaces with other software using data connections or communicates with data-base and can run a query before printing a label. It does some checks and gathers more data for the label before the label is printed.

What do you dislike?

It needs some learning curve to use the Bartender Librarian feature.

It ensures that the products are properly tested and are ready to ship before it prints a label for that specific unit. It does that by verifying the data saved on our servers.

BarTender review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Awesome"

What do you like best?

This product is just incredible with the amount of data warehousing it can support

What do you dislike?

There really isn’t anything I dislike about it

Label printing for our cartons

Learning about BarTender?

* We monitor all BarTender reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.