Bazaar

Bazaar is a version control system that helps you track project history over time and to collaborate easily with others.

Work for Bazaar?
Rationalclearcase versioncont  2x

Learning about Bazaar?

Compare Bazaar to Similar Solutions

Bazaar Reviews

Showing 4 Bazaar reviews
Bazaar review by User in Computer Software

Yet another Version control system

What do you like best?

Git-like version control. Collaborating with others.

What do you dislike?

I came from 'Git', CVS, SVN and perforce background. It took so much of time for me to understand the 'bazaar' concepts. I found it so confusing. May be because I didn't find many tutorials about bazaar. Also, none of the teams in our company use bazaar. I had to work on a project and was forced to work with bazaar since that project needed it. It's confusing. Branching is not easy to understand. I don't find any major advantages compared to a simple Git.

Working on a Canonical related open source project. Had to use bazaar since that project needed it. I really wonder what benefits that project maintainers got by using bazaar instead of a simple and widely used git. Personally, I have not realized any benefits.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Bazaar
Bazaar review by <span>Israel F.</span>
Israel F.

A simple version control system

What do you like best?

It is really easy to use and it's distributed. It's easier to get started with if you never used a DVCS

What do you dislike?

No clear concept of repo and branch, in general every branch is a repo and every repo is a branch. You can only use on Launchpad

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use Bazaar, use git or mercurial instead as they are truly distributed and are the de-facto standards in the industry. Bazaar gives to the illusion of being distributed but it's like an improved version of SVN. I used it because it was the VCS the company I worked at used, but they've migrated to git.

Versioning our code and allowing developers to work in parallel without conflicting with each other changes.

What Version Control Systems solution do you use?

Bazaar review by <span>Phil w.</span>
Phil w.

Love Ubuntu GNU/Linux Community ? Learn Bazaar !

What do you like best?

Support from Canonical, everything is clearly detailed. Also this Source control management tool is decentralized, like git, mercurial or others. this mean you can live and work outside a centralized server.

What do you dislike?

It's not much used outside Ubuntu community, I don't really see any benefit to use it for my own, I'd rather use git which has an enormous user base and also supporting other tools. So I don't plan to invest more time on learning bzr but rather improve my git skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at git/bzr backend it can be useful to use your favorite tool and change the backend to bazaar (or others).

If you're looking for a host server, lunchpad,net comes to my mind first, but I think sourceforge.net is suporting GNU Bazaar.

I tookover maintainance of a little ruby gtk utility which was already integrated into Ubuntu, Sources where relocated from private CVS repo to Bzr and hosted on Lunchpad.

Bazaar review by <span>Ryan G.</span>
Ryan G.

Painfully slow

What do you like best?

It had a great concept and the ideas sounded good.

What do you dislike?

I cringed when I had to deal with projects that used bazaar. It suffered from a very poor implementation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using git. Bazaar, from what I can tell is no longer developed or actively maintained.

I was a lone developer/user. I wasn't working for a business, but when I compiled my own software, the projects that used bazaar always seemed to break often.

The thing I disliked most about bazaar is that it was painful slow at cloning a repository. I appreciated git much more and even mercurial had a huge speed advantage to bazaar. Even relatively small repositories would take the better part of an hour to clone. A similar size repo in git would take only about a minute. It was a headache dealing with bazaar from day one.

The other thing that kept me from recommending it to people was the fact that its community was very small and diminishing by the day. When emacs started to jump ship, I know this software was in trouble.

There are not enough reviews of Bazaar for G2 Crowd to provide buying insight. Below are some alternatives with more reviews:

Git Logo
Git
Git is easy to learn and has a tiny footprint with lightning fast performance. It outclasses SCM tools like Subversion, CVS, Perforce, and ClearCase with features like cheap local branching, convenient staging areas, and multiple workflows.
Helix VCS Logo
Helix VCS
Perforce Helix is an industrial-strength version control platform that supports distributed and centralized workflows. Perforce Helix eliminates the complexity of large-scale, distributed product development—allowing you to build products faster, at scale, while protecting your valuable IP.
Subversion Logo
Subversion
Subversion is an open source version control system. Founded in 2000 by CollabNet, Inc., the Subversion project and software have seen incredible success over the past decade. Subversion has enjoyed and continues to enjoy widespread adoption in both the open source arena and the corporate world.
Mercurial Logo
Mercurial
Mercurial is a free, distributed source control management tool. It efficiently handles projects of any size and offers an easy and intuitive interface.
CVS Logo
CVS
CVS is a version control system, an important component of Source Configuration Management (SCM). Using it, you can record the history of sources files, and documents. It fills a similar role to the free software RCS, PRCS, and Aegis packages.
Kiln Logo
Kiln
Git and Mercurial Version Control and Source Code Hosting Used by over 20,000 software development teams to manage their code, improve quality with code reviews, organize projects, track changes and collaborate.

Learning about Bazaar?

* We monitor all Bazaar reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Bazaar to Similar Solutions