BBEdit

BBEdit is a professional HTML and text editor for Macintosh that provides features for editing, searching, and minipulation of text for web authors and software developers.

Work for BBEdit?
Ultraedit 2x

Learning about BBEdit?

BBEdit Reviews

Showing 34 BBEdit reviews
BBEdit review by <span>John K.</span>
John K.

Use BBEdit every day

What do you like best?

Been using BBEdit almost 20 years. Ease of use, color coding on the code, where you can collapse blocks of code based on brackets, the elegant interface. The built in FTP client. It works on Mac. There are other editors available, however, this one is an old favorite.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I don't like about BBEdit is the lack of where the editor guesses what you are trying to write in the code, and completes the brackets. However, that could be lack of understanding how to use the software. Also do not like the delays on the built in FTP client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It is a tried and true editor.

It's a tried and true reliable code editor.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about BBEdit
BBEdit review by <span>Nicole D.</span>
Nicole D.

BBEdit is great for HTML source code review and organization

What do you like best?

This is a great text editor & GUI editor. It's pretty straight forward—not a lot of bells and whistles which makes it simple to use, and it's well organized. The syntax coloring makes it very easy to review, proof, and edit source code. The find and replace tool is also a big help.

I use it in conjunction with other HTML building software (like Dreamweaver or Bee Pro), as it helps me to see the code & any errors therein more efficiently.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike about this software. This isn't a complex tool. It does the basics but not much more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this to anyone who needs a simple, straightforward text or GUI editor. It's a great tool to use for collaborative projects or to just help you organize your codes / scripts.

I use this a lot when creating tutorials or instructions when I'm collaborating on bigger projects. I can highlight information and include line numbers and notes within the code, allowing third parties to quickly identify lines in which they need to replace text or scripts.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

BBEdit review by <span>Laurel S.</span>
Laurel S.

The best for text editing - light, fast, powerful

What do you like best?

Easy, intuitive interface, with so many ways to customize the experience. It's super light, taking up very little memory, and lightning fast when working on huge text documents. I love the color coding of HTML code - makes editing very easy. Love that you can have multiple tabs open at once and switch between documents easily, and best of all, the documents all autosave while you're working on them.

What do you dislike?

To use the most powerful features, like grep, you need to learn a little UNIX.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best no-nonsense text editor, as long as you don't need formatting. It is the only choice for working with huge text docs. Really really useful for editing HTML by hand - the color coding of HTML code is tremendously helpful.

Needed a light, powerful text editor that was easy to use and wasn't expensive. BBedit has improved productivity and made possible many kinds of text processing that are just not possible with Word. I use it every day - it's made text editing so much easier.

BBEdit review by <span>Eric J.</span>
Eric J.

Simply the best text editor around

What do you like best?

BBEdit does everything I want from a text editor. Git integration, text sorting, a powerful regex engine, and a hundred more features I can't think of right now. Their support is top-notch and I've even gotten custom patches written for non-critical bugs that affected my workflow prior to their general release.

What do you dislike?

I have two main issues with BBEdit. One, it's only on MAC so if I have to work in a different environment I have to use some other text editor. Two, it still lacks the split screen support introduced with OSX El Capitan.

I'm a developer and I live in my editors. Getting the tools that I need working in a reliable and consistent fashion is critical for my workflow. BBEdit has every tool I need from a text editor and without it my productivity would suffer.

BBEdit review by <span>Jeremy S.</span>
Jeremy S.

Powerful code editor that you can start using right away

What do you like best?

BBEdit (and even it's free sibling Textwrangler) are easy to use code/text editors with a lot of power under the hood. I use some newer editors like Sublime Text and Atom as well, but I always come back to BBEdit for daily code editing. It's quick to start up and doesn't have any clutter in the way.

What do you dislike?

The interface could use a modern facelift to compete with apps like Atom, but that's just a nitpick. It does the job and does it well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free Textwrangler first or download the BBEdit trial to see if this meets your needs. If you just need a basic code/text editor but may want to explore advanced features later, this is a good bet.

I work on multiple projects throughout the day as well as smaller one-off tasks. BBEdit is great for the latter as it allows me to complete updates or examine files quickly and without the need to create a project or add metadata to a folder.

BBEdit review by <span>Reggie B.</span>
Reggie B.

Call Me a BBEdit Evangelist

What do you like best?

What do I like best? Oh my gosh, we'll be here all day! BBEdit is absolutely LOADED and there is simply no other text editor for the Macintosh that can compare. There's not even a runner-up. As a web developer on a Macintosh, its BBEdit or nothing. Combine this with Fetch and you've got an FTP and editing solution that is easy to use and has all of the "bells-and-whistles" you need. Color coding, supports all standards, syntax checking, close current tag commands - I mean, BBEdit has it all.

What do you dislike?

Dislike? About BBEdit? Now that's funny! LOL! There is nothing to dislike about BBEdit. I've used it OVER 8 years and I've never had an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was about to say, "for the price you cannot beat BBEdit" but you cannot beat BBEdit at ANY price. It is ridiculously inexpensive, and there is simply not a better text editor on the market for Macintosh than BBEdit. In fact, I feel somewhat bad just calling it a "text editor", as it is so much more than that. I have not even tapped into all that is available in this robust but easy to use program.

The most common way I use BBEdit is to FTP up to the site using Fetch and then if a file needs to be modified, I'll click "edit file" which opens BBEdit. Then I'll do all of my code modifications there, click save and it is immediately saved to the server. Simple, quick, done! No mess, no fuss.

Learning about BBEdit?

* We monitor all BBEdit reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.