Beanstalk

Hassle-free, hosted version control service.

Work for Beanstalk?

Learning about Beanstalk?

Beanstalk Reviews

Showing 15 Beanstalk reviews
Beanstalk review by <span>Kevin F.</span>
Kevin F.

"Beanstalk makes VCS and code deployment nice and easy"

What do you like best?

Beanstalk is great for basic git/svn version control, which integrates with all the apps and tools you already use. Their deploy bot service is rolled in too, so trigging code deployments fire on a merge to a branch is seamless.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I would really want Beanstalk to improve is their code review feature. I'm glad they have it, but it's fairly basic and cumbersome for teams to use. GitHub's reviewing is vastly superior.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you intend to use the code review system, try it before building your team workflows on it.

Version control and code deployments. We've benefited greatly form their reliability and easy to configure, robust deployment and integration capabilities.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Beanstalk
Beanstalk review by User in Computer Hardware
User in Computer Hardware

"Intuitive and Thorough"

What do you like best?

I like how thorough you can be with seeing each individual effected file and how many commits behind an environment is. It makes it really easy to prevent disasters and there’s many safety nets along the way to check yourself over before deploying. We have a small team so this makes it easy to stay on top of every commit. We’re looking to tie this into the ZenDesk ticketing system soon

What do you dislike?

There are no features I can think of that stand out as immediate cons. Beanstalk gets the job done for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a very robust and intuitive tool. You will not be disappointed

We do all our deployments through Beanstalk. We’ve just realized it can tie into ZenDesk so we’re looking to link it to an internal ticket system for assigning tasks and linking them to commits once completed.

What Version Control Hosting solution do you use?

Beanstalk review by <span>Richard B.</span>
Richard B.

"Great For SVN & Easy Deployment"

What do you like best?

This is the best code repository solution when working with SVN that I have found. For web development, using Beanstalk has provided the most painless and straight forward experience I've found for auto-deploying your commits to a web server, or even multiple web servers.

User access control and management is a breeze. Marking commits for code review and the ability to tag them with descriptors informs the members of the team what to be looking for while reviewing it which certainly can save some time.

The pricing is good for teams of 20 or more that need 20 or more repositories.

What do you dislike?

First off, the UI is pretty ugly in my opinion. And not just in as far as aesthetics but the organization of the information is a bit poor in my opinion.

There is no built-in issue tracking which forces teams to use a 3rd party solutions.

The pricing is bad for anything less than team of 20. Only one free private repo, with 100MB limit, and only one user makes some of it's competitors ahead of the game. I use the free account for one personal project site simply for the beauty of it's auto-deploy capabilities. For me, that is it's one saving grace and really the only reason I still use it for anything instead of other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need built-in issue tracking, you won't find it here. But, if you have a team of 20 or more and need 20 or more repositories, the pricing is pretty good... The way it handles deployments is so straight forward and combined with another product from the same vendor, Deploybot it's even better. If those things are appetizing and you don't mind using a 3rd party issue tracker to stack on top, then this may be a pretty good match for you.

I use it mainly as for a single version control repository that auto-deploys to my server after code review and commit approval. The deployment configuration features have saved a lot of time.

Beanstalk review by <span>John B.</span>
John B.

"Beanstalk is a solid all-around solution for most deployment and version-control needs"

What do you like best?

The deployment configuration feature is really great, especially for projects that need to deploy to multiple environments. Team management and access control is pretty well rounded too. The code review feature is also really nice. It has saved me a lot of time in many cases, especially the ability to approve commits, so I can essentially "bookmark" the review for large features in progress. The distinction between a comment and an issue in the code review is also very helpful for me.

What do you dislike?

Performance doesn't seem to scale as well as I'd hope. The UI is kind of ugly and can be difficult to use at times (e.g. doesn't always guide attention to important information, can take a while to figure out where I need to look for certain things). There are too many notifications due to the fact that I get opted into all notifications for all new projects rather than only subscribing me to notifications when I specifically ask for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It doesn't have issue tracking (we use other software for that), so if you need issue tracking, either look somewhere else or look into another service on top of beanstalk. If you already have version control and are looking into the deployments, check out deploybot. It's made by the same company and even has extra features that haven't made it back into beanstalk yet.

Version control hosting, code reviews, deployment management. Beanstalk has been very effective at fulfilling all of these needs.

Beanstalk review by <span>Chris P.</span>
Chris P.

"Great Support, Good deployments, Very Happy Overall"

What do you like best?

Their support is always very helpful. Emergency support is extremely fast, always have up to date information when there are (rare) large-scale issues: http://status.beanstalkapp.com/

Deployment system is good. It's very versatile and easy to work with.

Online code editor is also very useful for hot-fixes and quick edits.

What do you dislike?

Their plans are not great for some situations - however, they are actually flexible with them and will make things work for you, so it's not a major complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure one of the plans is at least close to your needs, but know that their team will be somewhat flexible with you.

Deployments - make sure they will meet your needs as is, or that you have the expertise to customize as needed.

Code editor - you can edit and create text files, but you cannot upload new non-text files easily. Most projects probably would not be able to rely on just the online editor, but it's very useful for hot fixes and the like.

Hosting large numbers of repositories to allow collaboration across many users on many projects. We've been able to improve communication, and automate many processes with their tools.

Beanstalk review by <span>Ralf T.</span>
Ralf T.

"Best SVN for non opensource projects"

What do you like best?

The repositories are private and the whole setup process is so much faster then Github. Together with the tortoise windows extension managing multiple repositories with multiple teams is fast and easy.

What do you dislike?

Only thing that I dislike is the price. Even for small teams you have to pay 25 per month which is rather steep unless you can manage with just 5 developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can only say that its far easier to use and setup then GitHub

Developing complex software applications with several developers

Learning about Beanstalk?

* We monitor all Beanstalk reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.