Bear

Bear is a note taking tool for Mac and iOS.

Work for Bear?

Learning about Bear?

Compare Bear to Similar Solutions

Bear Reviews

Showing 22 Bear reviews
Bear review by <span>Erin C.</span>
Erin C.

"Best new discovery in note-taking"

What do you like best?

I've been using the built-in iOS and Mac OS apps Notes for years, and I'm so glad a colleague recommended Bear to me. Not only is it far more visually attractive, which is important to me - it's far more customizable, and the organization techniques via hashtags are simple, useful, and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

So far, there's not much that I dislike, besides some minor bugs with keeping the 'title' of a note in a larger, bold font so as to differentiate it from the body of the note.

Recommendations to others considering the product

By all means, download it! Pro subscriptions are only $15 a year which is well, well worth it.

It's helping me stay organized much better than any other notation software. I can organize my business notes by hashtag to keep everything in its proper place.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Bear
Bear review by <span>Kathy D.</span>
Kathy D.

"Picks up where Quip and Evernote fall off ... "

What do you like best?

I love the ability to format notes super quickly using their markdown options - and the ability to quickly categorize and organize my notes very easily by simply specifying a hashtag. It has full sharing capability and allows you to output to HTML and PDF.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there can be a bit of lag when you are creating a new note - and you might accidentally create multiple notes without realizing. Other than that - I love it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend paying for premium to allow syncing and to customize the them (for all those dark theme fans out there!).

Quick note taking, categorization/organization of notes, and ability to access my notes regardless of platform (mac or iphone).

What Note-Taking Management solution do you use?

Bear review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Fantastic idea, but need plain text version"

What do you like best?

I love the clean interface, the modern text and the contemporary design. I like the size of the widget and the ability to display two or three columns. I like how easy it is to use headers, to change the font and the import/ export capabilities are great. In my opinion, the mobile version is much better than the desktop. It seems made for mobile.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately this application displays text as code instead of as plain text. When I copy and paste a link to a website, I don't want to see the http and all the details, I just want to see the name of the url or the name of the company. Same with font. I don't need to know that I am typing in H2 or "body". There really should be a way to turn this off. If there is then it's difficult to find, but it's the reason that I've stopped using it and have switched to Xpad which is an incredibly simple plain text widget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the interface before deciding to switch to this project, and determine whether or not you can put up with the extra text, eg: the word "link" surrounds any urls, and is in red. This is completely unnecessary in my opinion, and I don't understand why the developers would do this. Other than that, it's excellent!

I was just using this to remain organized. I tend to write notes in here prior to organizing them so it's nice to have something quick at hand.

Bear review by <span>Danny R.</span>
Danny R.

"Bear is a great note app for minimalists "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the solution is really what makes it powerful for me. The way the hashtag tagging system works is also more useful than other note taking apps I've used where you have to create the folders you'd like and then reorganize everything. I also really like the checkbox feature as a way to track my daily to-dos. The little progress bar underneath the note preview in the sidebar is a nice touch. Once they added Apple Pencil compatibility a few months ago, it solidified Bear as the only note taking app I use.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any complaints, this is just being nitpicky. I had an instance where the notes I took on my iPad didn't transfer to any of the other devices I have Bear downloaded to and then disappeared altogether. It has only happened the one time, though. Sometimes the device sync can be a little slow.

Bear fits the bill as my go-to note taking app both in my professional and personal world. I use it while I'm on customer calls, setting my daily agenda, in meetings, or as a general place to jot down information.

Bear review by <span>Toni S.</span>
Toni S.

"Beautiful and simple writing and note taking"

What do you like best?

The best thing in Bear is its simplicity. It's beautiful to look at and a joy to use for writing blogs, taking notes, etc.. The UI is extremely intuitive. The free version is already very capable, and with modest fee you get nice syncing and export capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Simplicity means that some nice features are missing. Myself, I'd like to se at least a typewriter mode for more focused writing. Publishing to Wordpress would also be neat.

I write a lot. Blogs, marketing copy, memos, etc. Bear keeps things organised and keeps out of the way to let me concentrate on my writing.

Bear review by <span>Tom M.</span>
Tom M.

"Bear is great for writing with minimal distractions"

What do you like best?

Bear's minimalist interface is clean and user-friendly. It's great for writing in markdown and plain text for blog posts or other writing.

What do you dislike?

Bear is almost too simplistic to be a great organizational tool, especially for work-related projects. It is also only available on Mac/iOS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are primarily looking for a writing app with minimal distractions, Bear is a great choice, if you are using a Mac or iOS.

I use Bear to write in plain text or markdown for articles.

Bear review by User in Internet

"Perfect balance between Evernote and Apple Notes or Simplenote"

What do you like best?

I really like the overall design of the app. Bear is really clean and navigation is intuitive for new users. The keyboard shortcuts and formatting options are super helpful. I primarily use this for meeting notes and personal task management and it works perfect once you get set-up. The features are not bloated or overbearing like on Evernote, and more comprehensive than something like Simplenote.

What do you dislike?

The free version does not include syncing across devices, which is a common feature for other note taking apps in this space. Furthermore, support is lacking for those who struggle to get the sync working correctly, which doesn't make sense for a paid feature. There's no log in, so everything syncs via your iCloud account. While this makes set-up super easy for most users, I had to troubleshoot for an hour or so to figure out that I would need to use my personal Apple ID on my phone and work laptop to get this to function correctly. At least this was my workaround for the issue, their support follow-up was not helpful and instructed me to sign in and out of my iCloud account to make it work. Seems like they don't have this figured out for many use cases yet.

I use this for taking meeting notes and keeping daily to-do lists.

Bear review by <span>Daniel T.</span>
Daniel T.

"Bear is Awesome!"

What do you like best?

I love how you can beautifully format text through just using Markdown type syntax. There's no need to mess with different formatting tools or buttons as in other text applications. Your writing can come to life in just a matter of minutes, and it can be organized in an elegant way.

What do you dislike?

I wished that Bear had some support for Android, and also you can export your beautifully formatted document in a PDF format.

Being productive, taking notes, and organization.

Bear review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"A great Evernote Replacement"

What do you like best?

I love that Bear uses markdown (or it's own version). It is so much more simple than the html superset used by evernote but more useful and advanced than that of apple's notes or similar solutions. I also love the organization by tag instead of notebook because it allows the same fidelity of oranization as notebooks and tags but with only one solution that is much easier and intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

I've been looking to replace Evernote for some time now, for mostly the same reasons many others have wanted to leave. Evernote still has some advantages like API access and integrations w/ other software. However, if you're looking for a mostly text replacement for notes that you write yourself, Bear is better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a basic note taking app for individual use, try Bear

I've been able to migrate my notes to Bear and save money every month over other apps while still enjoying a fairly rich feature set.

Bear review by <span>Stuart J.</span>
Stuart J.

"Great, fast, well thought out tool"

What do you like best?

Bear is a fast, well thought out tool with great features.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing to dislike for me. I've tried lots of editors and this one is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've tried lots of note taking / writing apps and this is one of the best. The iOS app is great too and syncing works well and fast.

Organisation of notes - everything from quick telephone notes to full meeting notes. Also great for recording tasks.

Bear review by <span>Leonardo D.</span>
Leonardo D.

"Best Note taking app I've ever used"

What do you like best?

Both user interface and user experience are absolutely amazing. Shortcuts really save your time and helps you keeping notes greatly organized.

What do you dislike?

Probably I'd like to renew my subscription outside the Apple App Store. It is the only way to subscribe to Bear currently.

I can take notes quickly keeping them fully organized and separated by topic, team and projects. I use Bear while I chat with my colleagues to keep track of important points. I also combine Bear with project management tools to complete tasks better without losing any information.

Bear review by User in Computer Software

"Beautiful note-taking app"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love the minimal but beautiful UI of the Bear app. I also heavily rely on its ability to sync across all my apple devices, which it does extremely well. The use of markdown is also great when quickly typing out a task-list.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the app allowed the use of handwriting with the apple pencil on my ipad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend purchasing a membership for the ability to sync across devices.

I'm mainly using Bear for personal note-taking, but I use it pretty frequently at work to create quick to-do lists.

Bear review by <span>Will M.</span>
Will M.

"Clean Interface-Much better than notes app"

What do you like best?

This app has multiple functions that make the standard Notes app on your iDevice look like a stone and table. Multiple shortcodes for formatting and structure design. Even more, the app is Apple Pencil functional!

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of the subscription payment and that it is currently unavailable on both a Windows and Android platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of syncing between devices and clean interface that leads to easy onboarding.

Task Management and thought-jotting.

Great for formatting my text and blogs before implementing into webpages.

Bear review by <span>Conrad O.</span>
Conrad O.

"Great, simple writing and note-taking app"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and get started, sync is super-fast and the app themes are easy on the eyes.

What do you dislike?

Monthly cost not ideal: I'd rather pay a fee upfront for access to the tool over the long term.

Writing, markdown blog post creation, content writing, note-taking.

Bear review by <span>Brian M.</span>
Brian M.

"Bear a beautiful note taking experience"

What do you like best?

I love the customization that this program offers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I cannot access this on the web or can collaborate with other users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't be able to access this on the web, however, it does a great job on providing intuitive environment for the Apple ecosystem.

Having a note taking application with markup and a BEAUTIFUL UI is exceptional since we have to export notes to our clients or to the team.

Bear review by User in Internet

"Great for quick note taking"

What do you like best?

I like that you can use most of the formatting commands from the key board. Especially when creating check-lists. It's a very simple UI with clean lines.

What do you dislike?

There's not much flexibility to it beyond simple note taking. Also, the export options are limited and it's not quite as simple as "copy & paste" because you lose some of the formatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This isn't really a platform that you can share across a company, it's more to the preference of the user taking notes.

Speed of note taking.

Bear review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Note taking and Filing "

What do you like best?

It is super fast, clean and easy to use. It also works seamlessly between devices.

What do you dislike?

Nothing right now. I have been using it for a little under a year and I swear by it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a lightning fast alternate for Evernote, I would recommend Bear.

I am able to organize all my notes, files and other info and have it accessible on any device any time of day.

Bear review by <span>Brian M.</span>
Brian M.

"Note taking Application: Bear"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Bear is the clean, fluid and customizable user interface and rich user experience.

What do you dislike?

The software is not multiplatform and not available on the web.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is not multiplatform ( available for Android and web ) and you cannot share to have collaborators.

Finding a minimal note-taking an application that is clean and customizable as well as

Bear review by User

"Fantastic note taking software "

What do you like best?

Supports markdown, easy to sort and order notes using tags, customisation and colour themes make the UI nice and clean

What do you dislike?

Search feature is a little basic with no advanced search or ability to search for review title only

I’m able to keep all of my notes in one place and have a consistent frame of reference when going over them after meetings

Bear review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"amazing app - love it syncs perfectly and so clean"

What do you like best?

clean, hashtags, syncing.to do lists with gorgeous detail on the left as you check boxes.

Great way to organise. Reliable.

What do you dislike?

nothing - if I could add a feature it would be apple pencil but with a magnifier eg. good notes. Plus alerts/alerts on to do list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do it - worth every penny

note taking. organizing notes. To do lists

Bear review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Nice and simple"

What do you like best?

I really like how simple the entire experience is. No bloat at all. I also really like how you can link notes with a hashtag.

What do you dislike?

As great as the hashtag is with connecting my notes, sometimes it would be really great to have folders to organize things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you’re looking for a streamlined note taking app, then this is a great one to give a try.

Note taking.

Bear review by User

"Quick and gets the job done!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, clean and has just enough features to make it my daily driver at work.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of a learning curve if you are used to Office. Also, I find that the sync sometimes doesn't work

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a bare bones editor, this is it!

Note taking is very important. Bear does it effectively and fast

Learning about Bear?

* We monitor all Bear reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Bear to Similar Solutions