Beyond Compare

Beyond Compare 3 is a tool for comparing files and folders on your Windows or Linux system. Visualize changes in your code and carefully reconcile them.

Work for Beyond Compare?

Learning about Beyond Compare?

Beyond Compare Reviews

Ask Beyond Compare a Question
Showing 56 Beyond Compare reviews
Beyond Compare review by <span>Shridhar P.</span>
Shridhar P.

A smooth and seamless comparator

What do you like best?

The range of features that even a free version of BeyondCompare offers is quite splendid. I like the fact that they offer support for a wide range of file extensions. So beyond code comparison, it even compares photographs, which is a feat.

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed any significant flaw that makes me dislike it. It fulfills all types of uses that I can have from a comparison software.

But yes, large files take a while to process and detect differences. Have to be careful about spaces and new lines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have business problems which are around peer code review, or which need you to find differences in code, then Scooter Software's Beyond Compare tool is the ultimate free tool in the market.

It saves me a ton amount of time. I need code comparison in Salesforce, as the same code is being accessed by more than one person at any given time. This means before I commit my code, I first check it with a copy of the existing code to see, If I am only committing my own changes. Without BeyondCompare, I cannot imagine how this would have been possible.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Beyond Compare
Beyond Compare review by <span>Shailesh S.</span>
Shailesh S.

Saves your time in merge and compare

What do you like best?

Saves a lot of files when merging contents from one file to another. Compares very large size files very quick. Binary comparison is best in comparing large file contents without taking any time. Provides options to chose each individual file for differences. Context menu option to select a folder/directory for comparison. Very wide scope of file types under its comparison. Compares program files, text, xml, xsl, and It even can compare bigger excel if needed.

What do you dislike?

After some installs of higher version and lower version together, Context menu option to select file for comparison disappears. This only comes when you uninstall both the versions and install again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very effective remedy for comparison for changes done in a file. It makes you feel it's worth just after few days of using it. Nice software!

Saves your time in comparing for the changes done in a file. Very quick and accurate comparison.

What Other IT Management solution do you use?

Beyond Compare review by <span>Joe H.</span>
Joe H.

The Gold Standard in File Compare Tools

What do you like best?

As a software developer, I'm comparing and merging files pretty much on a daily basis. I've tried many others (mostly free ones) and decided this one was more than worth the money. Beyond Compare (BC) lets you compare folders and/or files for differences and allows in-place merging of files. The interface is intuitive and assists you in looping through the differences.

What do you dislike?

I haven't run into anything that really jumps out at me as a problem. I'm sure I don't use BC to it's fullest potential -- there are many other file type comparisons that I don't use (MP3 compare, picture compare, registry compare, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many comparison tools out there -- I use this one every day and it definitely does the job for me. The pricing is also very reasonable.

Perform peer code reviews is a big chunk of my job -- seeing the before & after is absolutely critical. We use Team Foundation Server as our source code repository, but instead of using the internal code compare/merge tool, I have it launch BC. Once you get comfortable with the interface, it really speeds up these compare/merge tasks.

Beyond Compare review by <span>Jason P.</span>
Jason P.

Beyond Compare is critical for web developers

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is the best directory file comparison tool I've found. It has been a critical tool for developing software and websites for me and my company for years.

Things I love:

* Clean User Interface

* Directory Comparison

* Compare with a remote FTP server

* Compare the contents of files in a directory compare

* Ability to compare images and other binary formats

* Save past sessions to quickly pick up where you left off

The price is reasonable and the product has always worked great without any bugs or issues. Licensing is straightforward and it is very easy to try out with their free trial.

What do you dislike?

This is understandable, but in large directories the comparison can take a significant amount of time. I wish it was a bit faster. Other than that, its great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beyond Compare offers a free trial so there is really no risk to trying it out. I believe the trial is 30 days or perhaps even 30 days of actual use. Download it and give it a whirl.

We use Beyond Compare to:

* Sync source code

* Find missing files between services

* Download content to local that is out of sync

* Compare files

* Compare directories

Basically, its used to find issues, merge files, and deploy files on occasion.

Beyond Compare review by <span>亚东 .</span>
亚东 .

Good tool to compare files and folders

What do you like best?

This is a good solid program with solid performance; through the use of plug-ins one can compare a lot of different file types.

Fast, well designed with great icons, easy to set up and use, ftps supported, image compare feature, content difference highlighting with document map.

What do you dislike?

The major flaw for me is that the program does not allow word-wrapping. While a lot of users may be coders, I use it for text comparisons of bills and legislative enactments, and inability to word-wrap seems like a strange limitation. I would also like it if the reports would generate cleaner HTML code.

Reaching explorer right click menu on the files list needs too many clicks. Could be better.

Settings hard to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great compare tool.

Code comparing and binary files comparing, it helps me debug software. It helps me compare the source code between modified and unmodified. This compare tool also can help compare binary images. it can compare the correct binary and failing binary, then I can locate the failing position in binary and turn back to de-assemble the binary and find the root cause of the source code. The tool really help engineer works really. I will recommend this tool to my college.

Beyond Compare review by <span>Meenakshi B.</span>
Meenakshi B.

A great software to compare codes

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is a data comparison software. Apart from normally comparing different files, the program is capable of doing side-by-side comparison of links, directories, File Transfer Protocol and SFTP directories, as well as archives. It is available for almost all platforms like Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems. A strength of Beyond Compare is that it can be configured as to control mergetools as well like Git. It's very easy to compare and change the files in a user friendly way. It is fast and also very light software. It is definitely an advanced file and folder comparison tool that can be used to compare files and folders, files stored in different folders, on different drives, online, before merging the changes you want to keep. It is easier to synchronize the files and use them in an easy way. The help feature was quite complete and easy to read, explained most of the functions of the program in an easy and understanding way. It is overwhelming and a great software, but we should we able to use it properly through help feature.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things to dislike the software, but there should be free version of Beyond Compare with some essential and basic tools to analyze. It should be having some basic requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a really good software if you want to compare your code with easy ways and quickly.

As a developer I work on the files as they need to be transferred to a server as well as while solving issues or bugs, I like to compare my previous deployment to see what went bad and correct it easily.

Learning about Beyond Compare?

* We monitor all Beyond Compare reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.