Beyond Compare

Beyond Compare 3 is a tool for comparing files and folders on your Windows or Linux system. Visualize changes in your code and carefully reconcile them.

Work for Beyond Compare?

Learning about Beyond Compare?

Beyond Compare Reviews

Ask Beyond Compare a Question
Showing 59 Beyond Compare reviews
Beyond Compare review by Shridhar P.
Shridhar P.

"A smooth and seamless comparator"

What do you like best?

The range of features that even a free version of BeyondCompare offers is quite splendid. I like the fact that they offer support for a wide range of file extensions. So beyond code comparison, it even compares photographs, which is a feat.

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed any significant flaw that makes me dislike it. It fulfills all types of uses that I can have from a comparison software.

But yes, large files take a while to process and detect differences. Have to be careful about spaces and new lines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have business problems which are around peer code review, or which need you to find differences in code, then Scooter Software's Beyond Compare tool is the ultimate free tool in the market.

It saves me a ton amount of time. I need code comparison in Salesforce, as the same code is being accessed by more than one person at any given time. This means before I commit my code, I first check it with a copy of the existing code to see, If I am only committing my own changes. Without BeyondCompare, I cannot imagine how this would have been possible.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Beyond Compare
Beyond Compare review by Shailesh S.
Shailesh S.

"Saves your time in merge and compare"

What do you like best?

Saves a lot of files when merging contents from one file to another. Compares very large size files very quick. Binary comparison is best in comparing large file contents without taking any time. Provides options to chose each individual file for differences. Context menu option to select a folder/directory for comparison. Very wide scope of file types under its comparison. Compares program files, text, xml, xsl, and It even can compare bigger excel if needed.

What do you dislike?

After some installs of higher version and lower version together, Context menu option to select file for comparison disappears. This only comes when you uninstall both the versions and install again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very effective remedy for comparison for changes done in a file. It makes you feel it's worth just after few days of using it. Nice software!

Saves your time in comparing for the changes done in a file. Very quick and accurate comparison.

What Other IT Management solution do you use?

Beyond Compare review by Joe H.
Joe H.

"The Gold Standard in File Compare Tools"

What do you like best?

As a software developer, I'm comparing and merging files pretty much on a daily basis. I've tried many others (mostly free ones) and decided this one was more than worth the money. Beyond Compare (BC) lets you compare folders and/or files for differences and allows in-place merging of files. The interface is intuitive and assists you in looping through the differences.

What do you dislike?

I haven't run into anything that really jumps out at me as a problem. I'm sure I don't use BC to it's fullest potential -- there are many other file type comparisons that I don't use (MP3 compare, picture compare, registry compare, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many comparison tools out there -- I use this one every day and it definitely does the job for me. The pricing is also very reasonable.

Perform peer code reviews is a big chunk of my job -- seeing the before & after is absolutely critical. We use Team Foundation Server as our source code repository, but instead of using the internal code compare/merge tool, I have it launch BC. Once you get comfortable with the interface, it really speeds up these compare/merge tasks.

Beyond Compare review by Jason P.
Jason P.

"Beyond Compare is critical for web developers"

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is the best directory file comparison tool I've found. It has been a critical tool for developing software and websites for me and my company for years.

Things I love:

* Clean User Interface

* Directory Comparison

* Compare with a remote FTP server

* Compare the contents of files in a directory compare

* Ability to compare images and other binary formats

* Save past sessions to quickly pick up where you left off

The price is reasonable and the product has always worked great without any bugs or issues. Licensing is straightforward and it is very easy to try out with their free trial.

What do you dislike?

This is understandable, but in large directories the comparison can take a significant amount of time. I wish it was a bit faster. Other than that, its great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beyond Compare offers a free trial so there is really no risk to trying it out. I believe the trial is 30 days or perhaps even 30 days of actual use. Download it and give it a whirl.

We use Beyond Compare to:

* Sync source code

* Find missing files between services

* Download content to local that is out of sync

* Compare files

* Compare directories

Basically, its used to find issues, merge files, and deploy files on occasion.

Beyond Compare review by 亚东 .
亚东 .

"Good tool to compare files and folders"

What do you like best?

This is a good solid program with solid performance; through the use of plug-ins one can compare a lot of different file types.

Fast, well designed with great icons, easy to set up and use, ftps supported, image compare feature, content difference highlighting with document map.

What do you dislike?

The major flaw for me is that the program does not allow word-wrapping. While a lot of users may be coders, I use it for text comparisons of bills and legislative enactments, and inability to word-wrap seems like a strange limitation. I would also like it if the reports would generate cleaner HTML code.

Reaching explorer right click menu on the files list needs too many clicks. Could be better.

Settings hard to figure out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great compare tool.

Code comparing and binary files comparing, it helps me debug software. It helps me compare the source code between modified and unmodified. This compare tool also can help compare binary images. it can compare the correct binary and failing binary, then I can locate the failing position in binary and turn back to de-assemble the binary and find the root cause of the source code. The tool really help engineer works really. I will recommend this tool to my college.

Beyond Compare review by Meenakshi B.
Meenakshi B.

"A great software to compare codes"

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is a data comparison software. Apart from normally comparing different files, the program is capable of doing side-by-side comparison of links, directories, File Transfer Protocol and SFTP directories, as well as archives. It is available for almost all platforms like Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems. A strength of Beyond Compare is that it can be configured as to control mergetools as well like Git. It's very easy to compare and change the files in a user friendly way. It is fast and also very light software. It is definitely an advanced file and folder comparison tool that can be used to compare files and folders, files stored in different folders, on different drives, online, before merging the changes you want to keep. It is easier to synchronize the files and use them in an easy way. The help feature was quite complete and easy to read, explained most of the functions of the program in an easy and understanding way. It is overwhelming and a great software, but we should we able to use it properly through help feature.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things to dislike the software, but there should be free version of Beyond Compare with some essential and basic tools to analyze. It should be having some basic requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a really good software if you want to compare your code with easy ways and quickly.

As a developer I work on the files as they need to be transferred to a server as well as while solving issues or bugs, I like to compare my previous deployment to see what went bad and correct it easily.

Beyond Compare review by Ravi Ranjan S.
Ravi Ranjan S.

"Very Fast Comparison and Merge Tool"

What do you like best?

Multi tab results. Very fast and efficient comparison of entire directory/folders using different comparison methods CRC, binary, Rule based comparison. Take only few seconds to complete the binary or text comparison. Compare all kinds of files like text, Programming files like C, C#, VB etc. Works as third party comparison tool for source controls like SVN and supports these tools in merging the code indirectly. Gives lot of options to perform on comparison window.

What do you dislike?

It needs manual inspection for any complicated and unorganised text. Does not compare dlls and sql table data very efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beyond compare has given us strong efficiency and solved the previous the problems completely.

Code merge and comparison has become a lot easier than the svn comparison.

Beyond Compare review by Administrator

"Excellent Tool"

What do you like best?

This tool has lots of features that I find to be helpful for various needs including, moving data and comparing data. It's a really good comprehensive tool. It will even allow you to compare text in documents to determine differences.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to be able to move data around that perhaps doesn't exactly match up in a folder-to-folder comparison. Ex: having a text file that corresponds to a PDF, but is located in a different subfolder. It would be really awesome if the tool could find the text file and move it to the same folder as the PDF. Not neccesarily a dislike, but more of a suggestion for the next version :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool does lots of stuff--explore the tool. You won't be dissappointed!

This is a time-saver to limit the amount of manual data-movement I have to do, which cuts down on a significant amount of user-error--always a benefit.

Beyond Compare review by James T.
James T.

"Extremely intuitive file/folder comparison tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Beyond Compare is its speed when comparing many files and/or huge files.

What do you dislike?

Let's get one thing straight, I love the product. However, there is one extremely minor GUI annoyance...Because my current laptop's maximum screen resolution is 1400x900, I have to scroll up/down within the file-filter dropdown box in order to make a change. It's a bit annoying, but it's a small price to pay for such a solid, fast, and feature-rich product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used its competitors, but to me Beyond Compare is the best file/folder comparison tool available.

I use Beyond Compare to quickly scan files and folders for discrepancies.

Beyond Compare review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Great Tool"

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is an easy to use and fast file compare tool. It is most useful for comparing code files, but can also handle Office files, HTML files, XML, etc. You can download a free trial. It can export a difference report which you can send to colleagues to review. It integrates with Windows, so you can select folders or files to compare in Windows Explorer directly, by right clicking and selecting "Compare".

Another powerful use, if you use it to compare files and folders in "fast" mode (not deep checking), you can use it to back up your files to an external drive, and see which ones are missing or old.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. I wish there was a free version for light-weight use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a general file compare tool, and you are not comfortable using open source / freeware, this is the tool for you. Beyond Compare has some very nice capabilities (comparing Excel files) and is not very expensive.

I use Beyond Compare daily to compare different versions of C code, and sometimes to compare different versions of Excel files.

Beyond Compare review by Barbara R.
Barbara R.

"Great Program to compare files of all types especially useful for ftp."

What do you like best?

I have been using Beyond Compare for about 5 years now. I am able to compare two versions of files and have a backup of a file if what I am doing doesn't work. It is great to compare what you have on your local drive to what is on the server. It highlights which file is newer and highlights the code that is different between the two versions. It is cross platform compatible. You can also filter so you only see files that are different. There are so many filters that you can apply to your files. It also gives you the ability to filter out files that do not need to be compared. Oh and I almost forgot Source Control

What do you dislike?

Actually I can't think of anything that I do not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They've got a generous trial program (based on number of days used rather than calendar days!), so just give it a go. Check out the docs on how to integrate it into your source control.

As a developer I am often working on files that needs to be ftp'd to a server. However, I my only want to push one or two lines of code. This makes it so easy.

Beyond Compare review by David Y.
David Y.

"Simple and easy application that is great for QA teams to identify differences in final CD builds"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is. We use it as a final step to verify final CD images. While our build process is "automated" it's also stupid ;) This lets us compare one CD to another, and quickly identify any outliers that were unexpected. So, doing a release to apply new docs and a script for a client hot fix... why did the app build folder change? Possible mistake averted ;)

What do you dislike?

It'll flag any difference, so you have to look at everything. Did someone add some white space to a file to make it more readable? It'll need to be double-checked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't have many recommendations, if you need to compare folder structures or text docs this is a good tool which will help you. It's simple, it's cheap, and it works.

The tool gives us greater certainty that if we have to release software quickly that everything made it to the CD. All the different depts check their stuff of course, and we manually check along the way, but this gives us a very simple overview/double-check that we're not missing a documentation file, or an upgrade script for a prior version, or that while there was no change to the code that it didn't pick up a ghost build that Dev kicked out to test something and forgot to remove before the automation tool assembled the package.

Beyond Compare review by Tanya D.
Tanya D.

"Beyond Compare is just that - incomparable!"

What do you like best?

The side-by-side view, with the differences highlighted, makes checking for changes between two documents such an easy and straightforward process I am *always* confident when I sign off on a document that it is well and truly good to go! This peace of mind is unequaled for me when it comes software. I also really appreciated that the 30 day trial was related to usage, not calendar days! I didn't need to use it that often, so having the longer trial period was a real bonus.

What do you dislike?

If I had to be really really picky I guess I could wish for a different font or colour scheme, perhaps I might think there are more intuitive icons - but that's about it - honestly, this is seriously great software!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have selected N/A for 'Quality of Support' because I have yet to even need any support!

I am the first point of contact for reviewing RFP's and contracts with our clients and I first sought out comparative software when a very long contract had a very sneaky clause added to the final draft that I missed. Having looked at it so long I 'couldn't see the forest for the trees' and we've been paying for it (literally!) ever since. Even my first use of Beyond Compare was like the sun breaking through clouds and now I say, "Send me that 50 page legalese document, muha, I am not afraid to tackle it!"

Beyond Compare review by User in Information Technology and Services

"How to Compare what is Beyond Compare"

What do you like best?

Beyond compare is an amazing tool with which you can compare text, and works best while comparing code, especially when you're bad at comparing code using git diffs. The best things to mention are it's capabilities to provide options to move code that ould need replacement, edit code like an editor, and also compare folders as well.

What do you dislike?

There are still a lot of fixes that this software needs. When you have some ode in one side, and you copy paste code on the other side, the entire code gets broken down according to the other side, and code alignment becomes unreadable. You then have to delete select all on the other side, remove and re-paste.

We have been using beyond compare to compare texts, codes, and minor documentation as involving git to do the job would be a lot time resource consuming, especially in Agile.

Beyond Compare review by Venkatesh W.
Venkatesh W.

"As name says it does lot of things Beyond regular comparison"

What do you like best?

1. It's cross platform

2. Loads huge text files with ease and compares smoothly

3. Provides different type of comparisons like un-aligned diff, patience diff and comparisons based on date, size, binary comparisons etc

4. Mouse right click option is too helpful. You need not open application every time you want to compare. Just select directories/files and right click and select compare, boom there it goes.

5. Very good GUI

What do you dislike?

It's not completely free, expires after trial duration

Recommendations to others considering the product

Must have cross platform comparison/diff tool which is bundled with outstanding features.

Right from comparing stage level outputs for video decoding, color conversions etc it is helpful all the way in comparing two piece of codes for the better understanding of similarities and differences between them

Beyond Compare review by Mishal S.
Mishal S.

"Addicted to it"

What do you like best?

As a software developer, comparing files is a daily activity. It will suffice to say that I have settled for beyond compare (3.0) to do that for me for the past 8-9 years.

It is easy to use.

It is lightweight.

It integrates out of the box with GIT, SVN, TFS and perforce (SCM softwares i've worked on). I think some SCM's also have it as a pre-built option in diff-tool setting.

It compares folders as good as files.

It has great highlighting of the line level differences. Easily catches the eye

It also shows invisible characters in the diff as hexadecimal values.

Worth the money for me.

What do you dislike?

When the two files have big chunks different, or say one of them has BIG chunks deleted in few places, the diff tools goes a bit crazy and matches lines awkwardly. It literally finds a match for a line in deleted functionA, with some other functionB in the other file.

I use it for seeing diff between files when

- Checking in code

- Reviewing other's code commits

- Reviewing files in scenarios where one works but the other doesn't

Beyond Compare review by Kashif I.
Kashif I.

"Compare two files Simultaneously with ease ."

What do you like best?

Easy to install and use with Standard UI . It is used to compare large files where data/source need to be audited with the latest changes.

What do you dislike?

While selecting multiple lines at once somehow you left Ctrl key then all the selection will wind off and you need to look back from where you started , that's need to be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As per my work experience it is good as of now for comparing two files . According to me you can go for it.

Comparing Source data files of many no. of lines to detect changes and rectify the same .

Beyond Compare review by Andrew H.
Andrew H.

"Easy to use comparison tool with the ability to integrate into Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

The simplistic but powerful user interface, coupled with the ease of which it compares text-based files such as source code, make this a tool I repeatedly turn to for comparison of various file types.

Its ability to compare folders and their file contents also makes it really useful in debugging software problems where potentially out of date components may reside on one or more systems.

For power users who prefer a more feature-rich comparison tool in Visual Studio, it's also possible to integrate Beyond Compare with 2005 onwards.

What do you dislike?

The newer user interface in version 4 is a little too "consumer" compared to previous versions, but this is often a jump-point, or can be ignored entirely if the Windows Explorer context-menu option is used.

Occasionally, as with most comparison tools, it can show an initially larger than expected difference in files, but this is often rectified by manually aligning specific lines on the left and right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the trial period to see if you like it, and use that time to decide whether it's any better for you than free offerings such as WinMerge, which often have a less user-friendly GUI.

The previously time-consuming and manual task of comparing textual-content files such as source code, XML and configuration files, which often have one or two lines, or even parts of lines, differing, which is exceptionally hard to capture manually with the naked eye.

Beyond Compare review by Joel B.
Joel B.

"Powerful, well-integrated, extensible compare"

What do you like best?

It's cross-platform, and it does a great job of comparing in a useful, no-nonsense UI, and does a great job of merging and comparing. It's also hugely flexible - comes with a large set of presets for various languages and formats, and you can add your own (or tweak the presets) as needed - I used it (at home) for some obscure assembly language, and was able to get some good highlighting with a little tweaking. It's great by default, and seemingly infinitely customizable when you need it. Also, integration with Git and other programs that use diff tools is well-documented. Support is also excellent, and licensing terms are generous.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its alignment algorithms produce less-than-desirable results, but I haven't found much better amongst other diff tools that I've tried. The manual alignment also doesn't seem to quite act like I want it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a developer, saves me tons of time (and thus money) when merging code, comparing branches, and checking on pull requests.

Beyond Compare review by Leif K.
Leif K.

"Cutting edge file comparison"

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is top notch for doing any sort of file comparison. If you are doing software development, this is a must have tool. It can show you line by line the differences between lines of code in different versions of source code, and also compare two folder and sub-folder structures to show you where any differences are. Once you find the differences, it allows you to easily merge any given line into the other file with one click. What really sets Beyond Compare apart from other diff programs is the really nice GUI and ease of use. It can also do things like show you differences between two picture files and tags on mp3 files. The Pro version lets you do integration with subversion as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, this product is reasonably priced and has valuable functionality that is easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You really need to try Beyond Compare and see how useful it is if you work in software development or just have a need to manage multiple version of the same files.

This program has allowed me to instantly see what has changed in any given local copy of software source code versus another version. It makes merging of changes and code reviews very easy.

"Easy comparisons"

What do you like best?

I liked how quickly you can compare files. By selecting two files and right clicking on them, you can select "compare", without having to launch the app and select files manually, which is very nice.

For the most part, it compared files very accurately with minimal issues.

Can compare foreign text, which is vital to my work.

The ability to print reports and analysis is great too.

What do you dislike?

There are certain PDF's that do not work well and excel sheets that didn't compare correctly.

In the case of the PDF, usually it was some of the encoding (?) that resulted in error/symbols instead of actual text, but could be copy pasted into a new document and compared that way.

The excel sheets just didn't line up with the compare for some reason, but only on occasion.

Comparing documents over time, particularly from foreign countries.

Being able to quickly find differences between government forms and reports has been amazing.

Beyond Compare review by Mahesh S.
Mahesh S.

"Best tool for compare"

What do you like best?

Wide range of files comparison. Source code comparison by binary comparison, text compare etc at folder or directory level. Very very fast comparison. Easily plugable with third party tools like svn.

What do you dislike?

It works best all the time. There are areas like multiple files at a time needs more improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best tool.

Code comparison

Beyond Compare review by Darin D.
Darin D.

"One of my must-have tools."

What do you like best?

I've used several compare utilities (UltraCompare, WinDiff, Visual Studio) and across the board, BeyondCompare's features and easy to use interface win out every time. BeyondCompare is highly configurable, and the number of out-of-the-box file types supported is mind boggling. The ability to set up custom comparison rule sets makes this the most flexible compare tool I've used.

What do you dislike?

There are so many options, particularly when setting up custom comparison rules, sometimes it's difficult to find the option you're looking for.

I use BeyondCompare on a daily basis for source code comparison and generation of reports for code reviews. Comparing configuration files, log files, data extracts and other development files is simple.

Beyond Compare review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Very easy to compare files."

What do you like best?

I find Beyond compare very easy when it comes to comparing files. It even helps in comparing the full folder structure. While comparing it is very easy to identify the difference as well as change them if required. A very user friendly tool.

What do you dislike?

No such dislike But with time some more features can be added to compete the market .

Recommendations to others considering the product

I need Beyond compare every now and then during my work. It makes life easy when the need to compare files or folders arise. Not only that it is very helpful if we want to compare and merge the changes .

Beyond Compare review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy-to-use, complete comparison tool"

What do you like best?

The ease of use is by far my favorite feature. I can do a comparison on two files by pasting their content into Beyond Compare, or I can select the file location from within Beyond Compare. Immediately I get a visual representation of what matches and what doesn't with a color bar on the side.

What do you dislike?

There's not much here to dislike. If I had to be picky, I sometimes get frustrated with having to scroll horizontally to find differing text on files that are very wide.

Oftentimes I use Beyond Compare to check differences in code or in the content of the sites I help maintain. This tool allows me to see the changes in a quick glance without combing through the files manually.

Beyond Compare review by Dhruvakumar R G.
Dhruvakumar R G.

"Amazing Tool for Compare"

What do you like best?

This is a very powerful tool to compare for comparison. I like the comparison of hex files or binary files with this. You can compare: Folders, Text, Database, Hex, MP3, Picture, and Version.

The GUI is very good!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the tool gets confused at complex situations. You would have to tell the tool to match the lines. But this is acceptable.

It makes life so easy and saves a lot of time. Customising the comparison makes it more powerful.

Beyond Compare review by John N.
John N.

"Best software for comparing files and coxe"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use for looking at differences in versions of code

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it’s easy to forget which file is which when comparing...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a use case scenario for the software and a business need! No sense in purchasing software you may not need or use

When there is an error in the code I am able to troubleshoot with comparing to old versions that worked and then can see what was added or removed that may have an impact

Beyond Compare review by Dan H.
Dan H.

"Great features and performance"

What do you like best?

The "smart" comparison of things like zip files is great...it allows for comparisons that are independent of compression settings. Also, comparing images allows you to "see" differences even between file formats.

What do you dislike?

The XML comparison could be better. It would be nice if it would match elements and attributes regardless of physical order in the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't be disappointed

I primarily use this for comparing data files from vendors (txt, zip, XML, etc.)

Beyond Compare review by User in Computer Software

"Fantastic Compare Program - Necessary for All Developers"

What do you like best?

Beyond Compare is a very intelligent file comparison tool. I've been using Beyond Compare products for years, both at home and at work. As a developer, you will often come across a need to compare two files. There are free tools on the internet that can do this, but Beyond Compare takes it a step further, integrating with the OS, making it super easy to compare two files. It goes beyond that, allowing the user to even compare entire folders at the same time. This is fantastic for comparing a local directory with a backup folder that you might have stored somewhere else, like a USB flash drive.

I also love the fact that it is a cross platform application. I have used this product on OSX, Windows, and Linux.

What do you dislike?

This is not free software. I usually tend to use open-source and freeware software because it has a lot of community support, but this is an exception. They do, however, have a free trial that you can use to see if you would like it. If you are a user and developing for your company, you might be able to get it expensed through your company as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it isn't free, I would definitely recommend installing the free trial before purchasing. However, I think you will realize that this piece of software is very handy and can really save you hours of headaches when trying to compare files and folders. The purchase price is relatively inexpensive when you consider the benefits.

It has saved me countless hours when trying to compare two versions of a file. This isn't usually something I'm doing on a daily basis, but if I ever have an issue with backup or source control, this tool is there to save the day.

Beyond Compare review by Víctor B.
Víctor B.

"Quick compare"

What do you like best?

The ease to make quick comparisons and to merge into a new file. It saves the previous sessions so you don't need to load the same files all the time. You can also compare complete folders.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, the purpose of using this product is completely covered

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Beyond Compare any time you need to check the differences between two files.

Comparing files between two different environments. It point to the exact difference.

Checking the quality of the transformation in batch files for B2B transactions.

Beyond Compare review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Diff compare tool available for windows and Mac"

What do you like best?

Very easy to spot differences between files. Also there is a feature to compare folders. Reliable and available on windows and Mac. Worth every penny

What do you dislike?

Comparing folders can take a long time. The program has a hard time handling differences between invisible characters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a free tool that is definitely worth a shot. Color coding makes it very easy to spot differences.

Easy to troubleshoot issues, and figure out why a previous revision worked.

Beyond Compare review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Great for comparing code!"

What do you like best?

It allows me to quickly compare and merge different versions of files and folders, and accurately distinguishes between code and comments.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if it were better at comparing only sections within files, if the file layout are different but some sections are the same.

I use it everyday to merge changes to code or to find where a problem might be occurring.

Beyond Compare review by Zafar K.
Zafar K.

"No Comparison to Beyond Compare"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Beyond Compare is that it can compare a variety of information, including text, text files, log files and event folders.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much I could point out which I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would strongly recommend this tool to those who work on different systems and frequently need to compare files and information.

I have used it to compare log files and text files to find the discrepancies among different environments, users and computers.

Beyond Compare review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Beyond Compare - SImple Interface to compare text files"

What do you like best?

It will compare any set of text files, including directories and groups of files.

It has a nice interface to locate differences throughout the file.

It also tabulates the number of differences, and allows you to edit either of the files being compared.

What do you dislike?

It only works with text files. If you want something to compare other file types, another tool will be needed

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a small, efficient, simple tool to use to compare single or groups of files

Great for tacking code changes

This tool is used mostly in code development, in order to track changes to software throughout the development cycle

Beyond Compare review by User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Best code compare"

What do you like best?

easy to use

ability to align code

color

three way merge

folder compare

binary compare

What do you dislike?

it sometimes gets confused comparing code and does not line them up correctly, however you can hit F7 and align them manually

you have to manually configure Git or SVN to integrate beyond compare

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its the best file comparison engine that I have ever used. Everyone at work uses different editors but for file comparison we all use beyond compare.

Beyond compare is useful for fixing merge conflicts visually and I find it very intuitive

Beyond Compare review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"I love BeyondCompare and use it daily"

What do you like best?

I use beyondcompar daily for many things, most often for subversion history comparisons and 3-way merges, as well as for large file/folder comparisons between different versions of products.

What do you dislike?

The regular expression filters for ignoring pattern-matched differences are somewhat difficult to use, but I'm currently pretty weak on regex anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the demo. I've found it well worth the minimal cost to buy.

It makes it very easy to see exactly what has changed between versions of text/code files, or more importantly to me, when manually auditing what is different between current and upcoming product releases, so that nothing unintended gets in, and to verify that all changes have been documented.

Beyond Compare review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Enterprise-caliber, very usable compare tool at a bargain-bin price"

What do you like best?

It's the easiest compare tool in any price range to use and to be productive with immediately.

What do you dislike?

Some features are a little unstable, like the FTP client access, in terms of adhering to the latest protocols.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For secure remote file transfer, SSH is more reliable and easier to configure.

Beyond Compare enables me to empower technical and non-technical staff members to make changes without impacting others.

Beyond Compare review by Administrator in Pharmaceuticals
Administrator in Pharmaceuticals

"Best Compare Utility I've even used - a real productivity saver"

What do you like best?

Easy to compare both single files as well as a folder of files.

Easy to setup.

Accomodates large files easily.

Presents the results in an easy graphical way to spot differences.

A "must have" for any developer or administratos.

What do you dislike?

I wish at times i had a larger monitor to display the old versus new comparisons as that would make the investigative work easier.

Ther eis not an easy way to Print out the differences.

Recommendations to others considering the product

once you use it, you will not look back and will make it part of your toolbox.

Compre versions of master data.

Beyond Compare review by Steve D.
Steve D.

"I love Beyond Compare! Been using for years."

What do you like best?

This thing is just easy to use. It all makes sense, and It has FAR exceeded it's value in cost. It has saved my rear with recovering a source control repo, deploying code, and more.

One thing I really appreciate about BC is you can script it out and assign that script to a scheduled task. You can compare across an FTP connection as well, which is huge when you are utilizing it for help with deploys or urgent compares across systems.

What do you dislike?

This is petty, but they need to provide more demos, docs around getting the user into the scripting side of things. This tool is easy to script out and automate and most don't know about those features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check this out, great for compare across FTP and for scripting out / automation with deployments.

Aid with deployments and ongoing code compares.

Beyond Compare review by Bruce C.
Bruce C.

"Absolutely essential "

What do you like best?

The comparison features are incredible productivity enhancers.

What do you dislike?

Searching for folders using Windows dialogs is clunky on a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is inexpensive, and far better than any other tool I have tried.

Comparing and merging code bases developed by multiple engineers over time. This tool enhances that by 40x compared to any other tool I have used for the purpose.

Beyond Compare review by User in Computer Software

"Beyond Compare a handy tool for comparing version of code"

What do you like best?

I love how simple Beyond Compare is to use and how easily it displays results.

What do you dislike?

For my purposes, Beyond Compare does everything I need it to do. However, I believe it is not robust enough for more complicated code analysis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For other people in my position, with the need to compare two or more simple files, like XML strings, I'd recommend Beyond Compare without any reservation.

I use Beyond Compare to compare version of text string XML files to ensure that all necessary strings are in both places when necessary. It keeps me from having to do a manual line-by-line reconciliation.

Beyond Compare review by Terry M.
Terry M.

"Great tool for comparing files"

What do you like best?

Can paste or reference a file. Is smart about showing differences; blank lines don't confuse it. Understands Microsoft Word documents.

What do you dislike?

Inexpensive but still costs some money. However, only credit cards/paypal are accepted, not purchase orders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial before purchasing.

Determining how two files differ

Beyond Compare review by Funso A.
Funso A.

"BEYOND COMPARE THE GREAT COMPARISON TOOL!!!!"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Beyond Compare is the fact that I can compare lines of codes from two different files and then move those lines about as I want.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Beyond Compare is nothing especially.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beyond Compare is just too cool. Give it a trial.

I use it to compare files ranging from java files to script files when customizing.

Beyond Compare review by Alan H.
Alan H.

"Easy to use and great time-saver!"

What do you like best?

Very intelligent comparison of data and flexibility in methods of comparison

What do you dislike?

User interface could be a little friendlier

Much easier to compare to different sets of code or data and quickly find differences. Saves a lot of time.

Beyond Compare review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Awesome product"

What do you like best?

Really awesome product to compare files or directories. Provides side by side view of the matching and different content. for file comparison, there are different option to compare like hash, which is really handy. i would totally recommend this product.

What do you dislike?

Can not compare certain files like CRL. tool can not look in the content

tool is really handy to check the content to 2 replicated folders

"Best tool of its kind"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and very lightweight. The image and folder comparison tools are incredibly helpful.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little outdated and it can be a little buggy when you're performing searches (Ctrl+F).

Quickly compare and merge different versions of code files.

Beyond Compare review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"Flexible File comparison tool that goes beyond the text comparison"

What do you like best?

It has a great a scripting and plugin system.Flexible.Beyond Compare can be scripted, so system administrators will be able to automate it.

What do you dislike?

Expensive when compared to opensource alternatives

Recommendations to others considering the product

use the scripting and plugin system . It is great for automating tasks

File comparison and hooks into perforce version control . We use Beyond compare with Perforce .

Beyond Compare review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"This is my go to software every morning in lieu of Windows Explorer"

What do you like best?

Easy to see what has changed on a remote file system.

What do you dislike?

It occasionally freezes or if I've mapped a key it will occasionally not let me type it in the filter box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try!

We use this to aid in working remotely. It really cuts down on the constant file transfer.

Beyond Compare review by User in Internet

"Best file compare tool!"

What do you like best?

Among a range of many features and 'it just works' the most I like is the Ability to customize and add plugins.

What do you dislike?

Tries to overachieve-One example is there is a folder with hundreds or thousands of files then BC tries to load everything in the compare pane and effectively bogs down.

DEveloper productivity, Trouble shooting

Beyond Compare review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"great tools for comparing files"

What do you like best?

this compare tool helps a lot when comparing files and folders. It can do binary compare as well as text compare.

What do you dislike?

i dont have anything to say about disliking the product

when pushing files from one environment to the next, it helps identifying files that need to be pushed.

Beyond Compare review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Super tool for comparison"

What do you like best?

Whole folder:Directory comparison using various method like binary comparison is best. Works likr a charm for svn as third party tool.

What do you dislike?

Text comparison is still not accurate and effective. We have to manually check the comparison.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sure shot.

Enhance team performance as Merging code is easier.

Beyond Compare review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Perfect Diff Tool"

What do you like best?

Very good at displaying exactly the information you need. It's awesome at visual folder compares.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I have no negative feedback for the application.

Comparing multiple versions of the same source code to see what the major differences are. This application enables quick and efficient manual merging.

Beyond Compare review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Stellar diff tool"

What do you like best?

It's easy enough to integrate into Windows tools.

What do you dislike?

Could use more Linux support. I'm finding it not easy to integrate on that type of system. And my license doesn't work for both platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to fold it into your version management tool and text editors.

Diffing code.

Beyond Compare review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Compare Tools"

What do you like best?

Very Good display and easy to use and setup. Does a lot of other things as well like doing syncing of folders.

What do you dislike?

There was not anything I disliked, there were features I did not use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tools and easy to use.

Syncing files across drives. Simple file difference checker.

Beyond Compare review by Consultant

"works for comparison"

What do you like best?

It compares and allows you to merge the files.

What do you dislike?

Is should compare spreadsheet, documents and also creates a new file not just update older one.

We are working on updating the same file/document which is worked by multiple teams to achieve parallel work.

Beyond Compare review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"I love beyond compare"

What do you like best?

This is one of the best comparing tools i have used

What do you dislike?

overall this tool has been superior to others

comparing primarily code changes stored in plain text

Beyond Compare review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Great for high level checking of files"

What do you like best?

Easy to see diffences for quick analysis. Able to update data easily

What do you dislike?

Search is a bit cumbersome. Could be quicker

Quicker then a vloikup in excel to find differences

Beyond Compare review by Lars N.
Lars N.

"One of those tools you take to every company or job..."

What do you like best?

It's simple and easy to use. Most importantly though it's reliable and very affordable.

What do you dislike?

I can't really pinpoint anything I dislike about Beyond Compare. The team is good about fixing any issues I've ever had.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes 2 minutes to get installed and up and running and it integrates very nicely with Visual Studio, which is primarily where I use it. I've used it alongside TFS, Source Safe and SVN and never had any issues.

"Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

Works as advertised; an invaluable tool for file architecture comparisons.

What do you dislike?

Software does not seem to be maintained as regularly as others.

Comparing software installs on various systems.

Learning about Beyond Compare?

* We monitor all Beyond Compare reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.