BigCommerce

Everything you need to create a successful online store. Create your store. Promote your business. Grow your sales.

Work for BigCommerce?

Learning about BigCommerce?

BigCommerce Reviews

Ask BigCommerce a Question
Showing 228 BigCommerce reviews
BigCommerce review by Jeff J.
Jeff J.

"Good product, better service"

What do you like best?

Their customer support is top notch, if you have a problem they are more than willing to help out.

What do you dislike?

Integration with Office365, is less than ideal. After switching to O365 for exchange, all of our order confirmation e-mails were getting black listed. This is due to a range of the IP's they use being black listed by SpamHaus. So I had to setup the MX and TXT records for demarc and use their mail server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They offer a great service, and provide fantastic support to back it up. The main issue would be if you are using Office 365 for mail/exchange. If so, then you currently won't be able to use it to send order confirmation e-mails. If you try, they won't make it out, due to being black listed. But if you setup the MX and TXT records for your demarc, then you can use their mail server and everything seems to work just fine.

When sending out order e-mails through the O365 mail server, they get bounce backs because of a IP blacklisting. But going through their mail server there is no problems.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about BigCommerce
BigCommerce review by Roselee H.
Roselee H.

"Sturdy platform, easy to use"

What do you like best?

Big Commerce is a very easy-to-use platform that anyone can learn and use. Ability to manage more than 100 products, as well as 100 + promotional codes. It's simple and convenient to operate. The configuration of the interface is quite large, and anyone who knows CSS and HTML can easily edit the system. This gives you the opportunity to add the sensation of your company to the entire site and makes the transition from other CMS invisible. Excellent customer service, ease of use and a solid platform.

What do you dislike?

They used to have an application on which I could watch sales and orders on my phone, but they do not offer it anymore. And I would be very helpful, not enough of this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After extensive search and marketing research, I chose BigCommerce and is very satisfied with my decision. This seems to be a very good platform for beginning and growth. There are several levels available, and the platform can grow with your company.

Bigcommerce allowed me to create a more professional website without spending a lot of money.

What E-Commerce Platforms solution do you use?

BigCommerce review by Florrie E.
Florrie E.

"Wonderful platform with which nice to increase trade."

What do you like best?

I can create my site as I want. I have the most open control of payments and shipping. The opportunity to drive more movement, convert more guest and with no problem selling on plural channels from a single position.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any bad problems with this software. I guess everything works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With this platform, you will build an amazing online store by using the latest features. You will have the best experience for search rankings, quicker page loads and higher converting. Also with analytics system, you will see your important metrics.

For us, it is the big time saver. Great to have full control the online sales way of our company. With this platform, we can increase trade, upgrade our business and try to new channels. It is really easy to study and designed to grow with our company.

BigCommerce review by Mary I.
Mary I.

"BigCommerce has grown my business by leaps and bounds"

What do you like best?

The variety of features available, the excellent customer service and the constant enhancements offered by this platform. BigCommerce keeps the consumer in mind and works hard to help its users to run a profitable business. It is very competitive and stays on top in the market.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing comes to mind at all. If I were to be forced to find something I dislike, I would have to say

it is not being able to send a message to the customer in the shipping notification email/message. This feature was previously available but with one of the enhancements it became no longer available.

One is able to send a message via the printed packing slip but unfortunately I do not utilize this feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. You will not regret it. The learning curve is very short and you will be pleased with the excellent customer service and the progressive thinking shown by the BigCommerce software.

Being able to get my products before customers without the need for a mortar and brick store.

BigCommerce has allowed me to sell my products nationwide and I have benefited majorly from the many features the platform offer, the excellent customer service and the ongoing enhancements to the platform - there is always something new and exciting with BigCommerce.

BigCommerce review by Michelle B.
Michelle B.

"I'm glad I made the switch"

What do you like best?

BC is more e-commerce focused for businesses at any level. From small start ups to large scale companies. The growth possibilities are endless from multiple selling platform integrations, email lists, customer accounts, wholesale accounts, coupon codes for customers, customer driven product recommendations, professional looking site, AMAZING customer service, and the list goes on. The analytics alone are amazing. I feel as if I am looking at google analytics. They are very thorough and have thought of almost everything.

What do you dislike?

The price is high ,but honestly, I've never been happier with my website. I also would love to have an email address for customers that leave feedback. I believe it's important to respond to both positive and negative reviews.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They say you get what you pay for. Very true. I made a huge jump in how much I paid when I switched over, but honestly I should have done it sooner. It had every feature I needed for an ecommerce business.

I now have endless options for growth. There are many features that I don't need currently, but have the option of growing into later without paying more.

BigCommerce review by Paul C.
Paul C.

"The top choice for eCommerce platforms - LOTS of integrations"

What do you like best?

There are quite a few unique themes to choose from. The designers and community have really made some great looking sites to represent my brand. Customer support is absolutely amazing. They are dedicated and knowledgeable about the best options for me, not the most expensive. And speaking of cost, BigCommerce is insanely scalable. The platform can handle a huge number of orders.

What do you dislike?

There are limited CSS alterations. I have tried to make some style changes that are definitely hidden due to the proprietary nature of the theme I bought. Since I already pay for the site, paying for the app seems kind of unnecessary and I haven't downloaded it because it's not free. I use Zoho for the rest of my business including their CRM and email. (I'd prefer BigCommerce to be my one-stop shop, but a guy can dream)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about ALL the things you want to do: Sell on Amazon, sell on eBay, sell on etsy, sell on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, newsletters, make ads, show reviews on the site, have a live social media feed... the list really is endless. If you can find all of those elsewhere (spoiler: you can't) then go for it. You'll come back to BigCommerce. To be honest, their customer service is incredible!

Creating a hub for education of product using partner add-ons has been incredibly easy with the vast number of 3rd party partners. The options are nearly endless and the integrations keep growing. Just got notified today about selling on Instagram soon. Very proactive. We've been able to generate leads through our efforts with Big Commerce, as well as selling on social channels. Love this company.

BigCommerce review by Natalie C.
Natalie C.

"Easy to use platform with excellent integrations & capabilities"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use paired with the professional appearance. I was able to set up my store and learn the back end in a matter of a couple of hours. I was able to get started without the need to learn all aspects and utilize additional features as I found a need.

What do you dislike?

The new ebay integration could use some functionalities to make listings look better. I am exploring options to apply templates etc. Was using inkfrog app which has its benefits (visual) but also weaknesses (problems syncing) - looking forward to getting the direct BigCommerce Ebay channel fully functional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I especially love that this platform is expandable. You can start small and pay only for what you use. When you grow, only then do you pay more. You also have a plethora of add-ons at your disposal, both free and paid. I am currently integrated with Ebay and considering expanding to Amazon because it is just so easy!

I am able to let my online store 'run itself' and when I have an order, the ease of getting it filled and shipped are wonderful.

BigCommerce review by Regan M.
Regan M.

"BigCommerce is excellent at getting you started."

What do you like best?

They made it easy to start an online business. Their how to's showed pictures and gave great detail. They customer service is great. They have a community where I can ask questions of other customers and several help topics I can look thru. They also have a BC University that helped me learn a lot about how my store works and how to help in marketing it.

What do you dislike?

I have some issues with customers only being able to use one coupon code at a time.

And I'd like a little more freedom in the blog section. I can't schedule my blogs and I can't use it for ads, etc. This makes it a little difficult when I'm told that I need to draw traffic to my blog which is on my store site.

I am having some problems connecting my merchandise with Amazon. I've had customer service look into it and they aren't really sure what the problem is except that I show variation in clothing sizes. Which is a problem because we mainly sell clothing in different sizes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a great price for small new stores. It's worth trying for how cheap it is. You can always easily upgrade.

We are online only and had no idea how to set up a store. BigCommerce helped us set it up and make it work great as look great too.

They are constantly upgrading and making changes based on their customers needs. Like adding Amazon, Amazon Pay (which people love) and soon, shops on Instagram.

BigCommerce review by Megan B.
Megan B.

"BigCommerce is great!"

What do you like best?

I highly recommend BigCommerce. It's so easy to use, and really helped me when I started building my store. I had started off on Etsy and really wanted to branch out and create my own store. I didn't know the first thing about how to start my own, and BigCommerce made it extremely easy to figure out. The layouts/themes they have available are easy to edit, and you'll have your store up and running in no time.

BigCommerce was the most reasonably priced that I came across, and they offer so much more than other places that I researched. I recommend them to everyone I know who is a small business owner, and I am completely satisfied with my experience using BigCommerce!

What do you dislike?

I have not disliked anything so far, and I've been using it for more than a year.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not be disappointed! Reasonably priced and easy to use, BigCommerce is definitely worth it.

I love the way their stats page is set up, it makes it so easy to learn more about my sales and customers.

BigCommerce review by Eric H.
Eric H.

"Most Simple Yet Full-featured eCommerce Solution"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the ability to customize the design or the options to do exactly what I need. BigCommerce offers easy to customize theme files that allow me to edit exactly what I need easily and quickly.

What do you dislike?

Lack of free themes after the update to Stencil from Blueprint. Some ecommerce solutions like Shopify offer their customers more free themes to choose from which can then be customized. While BigCommerce does offer online customizations without the need for any html more free themes would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BigCommerce is the way to go for a professional ecommerce site that gets sales and helps your business grow. Other platforms are hit or miss with many features.

We struggled to find a way to sell our products online. Our products are highly customized and require a lot of options and swatches, as well as rules, BigCommerce has allowed us to sell online easier than any other platform has. After trying Squarespace we quickly realized it wasn't made for robust items and then we tried BigCommerce and we were blown away.

BigCommerce review by Geary M.
Geary M.

"Best Ecommerce Platform - Period!"

What do you like best?

Unlike others, Bigcommerce does not charge transaction fees nor do they required you to use their internal merchant credit card provider. Their support is fantastic and it's 24/7. I track my site with "Site UpTime" and BC is NEVER down. I mean never. At this point, we are extremely happy with the services that they provide.

What do you dislike?

Vetting your App's. I would like to see a better vetting of App's inside their marketplace. Some of them are not ready for PrimeTime. It's not a "Dislike" but I would like to see a Native Mobile App integration from BC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We looked long and hard at: Shopify and Volusion. BigCommerce won out with us because of the "No Strings Attached" programs. No Transaction fees, No Merchant Processing Fees, etc. BC as a company is definitely on the rise. They have fantastic transparency and are open to new ideas.

BC allows us to have a reliable and seamless ecommerce solution for our customers. It has been one of the main factors in our companies sales growth.

BigCommerce review by Denise H.
Denise H.

"Fits my business pretty well"

What do you like best?

Automatic synchronizing with FaceBook, Pinterest, Square.

What do you dislike?

Templates for subscription only have email and since it's not "required" (in BC) to have first and or last name as well, templates exclude them and don't provide an easy way to include them without hacking them. On one template I was able to change a little code and include them, but not on my second one. All the experts say that capturing at least a first name and using that in the newsletter, is a way to personalize the message. This lack of ability to easily include names with subscribers doesn't make any sense to me at all.

In addition, all products I've tried do not have a good strategy for one of a kind merchandise. There should be a better way to organize by collections or better yet, a way to organize by a user-supplied criteria. I find it challenging to present multiple images of an item, yet include it with other items without repeating information. (For instance, I may make 20 pairs of pearl earrings, but each is slightly different, not to mention the pearls themselves are different sizes, shapes, or colors. A customer is going to purchase a specific piece based on the appearance, size, hook, etc. However, they all can be described in a similar fashion.) Research says google punishes you for repeating the same information over and over again, but the structures in the industry don't support the one-of-a-kind model easily. I always seem to be kludging something to make it work and then it can be awkward to the shopper. (In the example above, I ended up putting a group of them together as options, but this requires additional descriptions and photos need to include the item number in the corner of the picture.) I think all products face this challenge, but don't want to invest in a solution because as a percentage of their business, we [one-of-a-kind artists] are only a small percent of their income.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am a one-person proprietor and am my own technical team. Since every product has areas for improvement, Big Commerce is a good solution. Most of the time, I can get what I want working. Do your homework on which features are important to you for the cost. BC is worth it for me. I do have a few things I wish they would improve, but all other products I used were also similarly challenged.

Online store for one of a kind handmade jewelry. Professional site that I can maintain. Hoping synch with FB, Pinterest, and Square will produce online customers. So far, not yet.

BigCommerce review by Saniya R.
Saniya R.

"Earn Easy Money"

What do you like best?

Being a large application store, I can add more advanced tools if needed like auto responders, creating coupons and a secure payment method among others. It is easy to use and setting up your online store is not even time consuming. Their support agents are there to assist you in any way possible and BigComerce has an excellent team which is taking care of hundreds of store owners throughout the world.

What do you dislike?

I don't have many complains from BigCommerce. However, I think the number of themes to choose from are quite limited and it can be a problem if the theme does not match with the product. Along with this, one major disadvantage is the lack of application on the Play store or on the Apple App Store so owners are constrained to not manage their store while on the go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to businesses who would like to expand. BigCommerce is the best online market place to sell your products with almost no investment. Increase your customers and hence your sales just by going online.

With just little to no effort I have been able to earn more by expanding my reach to new customers. My brand can only be successful if I have a lot of customers and even though I have a retail business already, having an online store with almost no paid-up capital helps me in earning more. My inventory is managed itself, payments are received and even discounts are given, all with almost no direct supervision. And also because of BigCommerce and its integration on different social media platforms, my brand is even getting popular

BigCommerce review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"A pretty good store"

What do you like best?

I like the draft order feature. I can create shopping carts for customers and send them a link. It’s especially useful for getting customers to order via chat.

What do you dislike?

Draft orders do not support custom shipping amounts. If I want to add a shipping charge then I have to add it as an “item” and then edit the order once it has processed to remove the item and add shipping. The tax exempt feature also doesn’t always work. I might set a customer account to be tax exempt and then when the customer orders they are charged tax. I also would like to be able to assign an account number to the customers so that we can keep track of their orders under one folder in our records. Searching by name can be irritating because some companies have different people ordering from us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BigCommerce has a lot of great features for running an online store. It does take a bit of work to get it configured the way you’d like and a few features need improvement but overall it is great.

It’s easy to edit orders. Our previous system was a real hassle to try to edit anything. We couldn’t even edit a quantity without a headache. Customers can upload files to go along with their orders which eliminates us having to download files from a separate program.

BigCommerce review by Joi S.
Joi S.

"I would highly recommend BigCommerce for small business"

What do you like best?

The best thing about BigCommerce is that it is user-friendly and the support staff is always available via chat. When I have questions (which happens a lot :) it's great to know that there is a REAL person there to help. It also plays well with other platforms such as PayPal, etc.

What do you dislike?

I would like them to over regularly scheduled user workshops (webinars) for beginners to advanced users because I really think I'm not using as many features available to me as I should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some features may need to come from a 3rd party partner and they can be pricey at times. Also, BigCommerce has lots of templates compared to other platforms.

We needed a business e-commerce that had great layouts that were easy to adapt based on our needs. We have custom products and it would be very hard to set up our products anywhere else.

BigCommerce review by Matt P.
Matt P.

"10 Happy Years"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, I came from being a tradesman into the online world of selling with no technology skills into e-com, the Bigcom platform made this a very easy transition and as they have grown I have not had to become an IT specialist to keep up.

What do you dislike?

Duplicating Products, when duplicating a product that is mapped to Google Shopping, if you change its category without changing the google shopping to the new category and try and save it will delete all changes you have made, really frustrating when dealing with multiple options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great easy to use software that stays relevant in an ever changing digital world

The big hardware stores only supply a limited number of brands, often these are inferior and more expensive than quality products from small independent distributors, we give these distributors a voice and in so give our customers genuine choice, regardless of their location.

BigCommerce review by Mirna J.
Mirna J.

"Accounting"

What do you dislike?

BigCommerce review by JCs Wildlife J.
JCs Wildlife J.

"Easy to Use Plug-Ins, Excellent Support, Best Site We've Had"

What do you like best?

The entire site is easy to use. It is the first thing we train office staff on, and is our main focus as it is our own storefront. In our capacity, it is nearly impossible to mess up and integrates with multiple APIs.

What do you dislike?

There are some features that really should come standard with a site like this (though we can almost always find a suitable add-on/plug-in). One of these features being the ability to upload files for customers to download. The bulk imports and exports can get a bit messy as well, but a little practice will overcome that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BigCommerce is good for those wanting a professional-looking site and who are growing. We grew extremely fast and now host 3 different sites with BigCommerce with very few issues. Support is fast, knowledgeable, and personable. The more we try to push the site to do what we need it to do, the more we are pleased with it.

We came to BigCommerce from a different platform that was having a problem growing as fast as we were. It was glitchy and turning customers off of our site. The few problems that we have had while using BigCommerce have been handled right away and do not repeat themselves (another common issue with other sites).

BigCommerce review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"very affordable and has lots of customization"

What do you like best?

their monthly plans are very affordable and has lots of customization. Unlike Shopify, you do not need to purchase extra apps that are (in my opinion) essential for sellers. Many features and customer service is easy to reach and very helpful.

What do you dislike?

I find their options (variations, attributes, or customization options, however you like to call them) a little cumbersome to use, but it could be because I'm not using it correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like simple and pretty, Shopify may work for you. But if you want more features for your account, BigCommerce is a better value.

Great for sellers who need a lot of customizations (this can be complicated with Shopify, which is why I chose BigCommerce). Very easy to use and edit many basic features of the design template even if you don't know html well (like me)

Like all other platforms (I've tried Volusion, Shopify and now BigCommerce) It's not perfect, but they do continue to make improvement, which I appreciate.

BigCommerce review by Blake B.
Blake B.

"Great mid-tier ecommerce platform for growing companies"

What do you like best?

Bigcommerce customer service is beyond great. They're all based out of Austin, genuinely cool to talk with, and keep hunting down the bug/glitch until the problem is solved.

Many features simply require one click, and you're on your way! Easy to use!

What do you dislike?

Some basic things can take a long time to fix. I.e. it took months to fix the Sales by Category report, which seems like a basic ecommerce function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bigcommerce offers a free trial though which you can test out product creation and integration setup. Try it! See what happens! Try Shopify as well!

Basically, we use it as our main brand's ecommerce platform to support an international brand. We've reduced transaction costs substantially, quickly scaled our ecommerce product line, and tested out new products.

BigCommerce review by Maria Luisa G.
Maria Luisa G.

"Un programa increíblemente útil y maravilloso"

What do you like best?

La variedad de funciones disponibles, el excelente servicio al cliente y las mejoras constantes que ofrece esta plataforma. BigCommerce tiene en cuenta al consumidor y trabaja duro para ayudar a sus usuarios a administrar un negocio rentable. Es muy competitivo y se mantiene en la cima del mercado.

What do you dislike?

La nueva integración de eBay podría usar algunas funcionalidades para hacer que las listas se vean mejor. Estoy explorando opciones para aplicar plantillas, etc. He tenido que usar la aplicación inkfrog por sus ventajas (visuales),pero también tiene sus desventajas (problemas de sincronización), por lo que estoy esperando impacientemente que el canal entre BigCommerce y Ebay sea completamente funcional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

¡No se decepcionará! A un precio muy razonable y además es fácil de usar, BigCommerce definitivamente vale la pena.

Puedo permitir que mi tienda en línea 'se ejecute sola' y cuando recibo un pedido, la facilidad de obtenerlo y enviarlo es maravilloso.

BigCommerce review by Eugene D.
Eugene D.

"Enjoyable time with Bigcomerce"

What do you like best?

I Like that software it's because I like to customize my site, manage shipping and payments, and list my products with no problems. Increase sales which is really good. Much safe my time.

What do you dislike?

That program doesn't have any negative things. Works good, I also can receive support all the time. They have Live Tech Support and on-line support system which is works 24 hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very nice to work on it. So easy. Plus its works for you so good.Also you can find tools to scale your business, and much more.For sure you will feel like a fish in the Ocean.

For my business helps me to drive more traffic, convert more visitors and seamlessly sell on multiple channels from a single location. To get lovely themes to build an glamorous online store.

BigCommerce review by Richard E.
Richard E.

"Like a bad break-up, it's something you need to just stay away from."

What do you like best?

You don't need to install a plethora of additional apps to get basic functionality for your store.

What do you dislike?

BigCommerce has all the characteristics of a sluggish multinational corporation, and that is sad because they're nowhere near the size of one.

- No one is empowered to make a decision and do the right thing

- Support is the worst of the four e-commerce platforms I have experience of. Tickets get opened, people don't respond to critical issues for days and sometimes weeks

- When your site goes down, you'll be told nothing can be done until the next business day (which was three days away over a holiday weekend)

- They're obsessed with producing content to reflect success stories but do very little to ensure that their platform is facilitating your success e.g: constant issues with the facebook, eBay and Amazon integrations and after four months we still had not been approved for tagging products on Instagram, within 24 hours of moving to our new provider, we're approved

- Arrogance. The arrogance of the management at BigCommerce is appalling. No one takes escalated telephone calls, callbacks are promised and never happen

- Platform has too many bugs and is not stable when comparing against other vendors in the space

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like anything in life, there is going to be a bucket of people that love something, a bucket of people that are in the middle and a bucket that hates something. We're in that last bucket. In the space of a couple of weeks, BigCommerce took a brand champion and made them a brand detractor.

If you're happy with poor support, then BigCommerce is your solution.

We didn't solve any business problems with BigCommerce, we only had problems created. The only benefit that I can say we had with this platform was that our page load times were much better than the prior vendor.

BigCommerce review by Francis R.
Francis R.

"A relatively easy to use platform with advanced capabilities"

What do you like best?

Makes managing a store as a single person much simpler. Quite easy to set up a store and to manage it. We have the ability to edit templates. It gives us lots of flexibility, resources and power to design how our online store looks and works. Easy to implement and train people without much computer skills or daily management.

What do you dislike?

Maybe needs a better tools for managing trade and wholesale businesses. It can take a lot of time and work to build a top quality BigCommerce site. Nothing much to dislike overall.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone at WC is so helpful and willing to help answer your questions. They have a powerful system that's easy enough for a single admin to control and customize.

Time previously spent taking and processing orders can now be allocated to other tasks. Quick product uploads, tying orders and product pricing. We can offer so many things to my customers that are not available on other platforms.

BigCommerce review by TeLeigh M.
TeLeigh M.

"Very easy to use with clean layout options"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to build a website that sells products. The checkout page doesn't re-connect them to a different website, it is just on the website which keeps our customers engaged in the products. I also like how quickly our website loads. I have used other platforms that take a minute or so to get all of the information, photos, and links loaded

What do you dislike?

I don't recall there being a thorough tutorial for the website. I think that would make he design process a little easier to know what steps you should take to efficiently and effectively design a website. I wasn't sure which text boxes were visible to the consumer and which ones weren't. I had to go back and make all the titles and naming conventions consistent.

we use BigCommerce for the website, www.micacosmetics.com

Before hand we were using a GoDaddy and this website looks 1000 times more professional and user friendly.

BigCommerce review by Steve S.
Steve S.

"Perfect Solution for Our Business"

What do you like best?

As a former web designer, before opening our e-commerce business I have have used several shopping cart programs. Big Commerce has created an easy to use system for businesses to get started quickly. Everything is there and Big Commerce is priced competitively. Whether you are using their telephone, chat or email support, they respond quickly with support based in the United States. They seem to really care about our business being successful.

What do you dislike?

Minor things such as customers not being able to search by UPC code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Big Commerce to anyone who is looking to start a new online business. Customer service is there to help with any question you may have.

We are able to submit our products to Google Shopping, Ebay, Amazon and others with great ease. We have been able to keep our sales growing, while keeping our costs low.

BigCommerce review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Great for our small business online sales"

What do you like best?

BC has allowed us to bring our products to the online market for a very reasonable fee. We can add new products easily uploading photos and descriptions. BC also has tons of apps that help with marketing and sales.

What do you dislike?

One thing that makes me crazy is the need to change our password every 90 days. My banks, the IRS, pretty much everyone does NOT require me to change my password but for some reason BC feels it necessary. It is not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Big Commerce is the platform to start with.

Prior to BC (8 years ago) we would need to have an outside web development team post items for sale on our web site. Expensive and a long process. Big Commerce allows us to list these products ourselves. Success!

BigCommerce review by Nina J.
Nina J.

"As high powered or simple as you need it."

What do you like best?

BigCommerce is a great starting point for fledgling businesses and for the hobbyist webmaster. Setting up is very intuitive and straightforward. If you want to get a website up and running quickly, this would be a great site to use. It's also great if you want to do more customized branding suited to your company.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about this website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great if you need a quick start, or if you are in the intermediate site building phase. You can truly get a lot out of this site if you want.

Starting up multiple business has been made easy and fast with BigCommerce. I like the add ons for email marketing, cart recovery and the like.

BigCommerce review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"Price is a bit high but more customizable "

What do you like best?

More customization possibilities in compare with Shopify. Have a decent amount of apps but not as much free ones like Shopify. Overall it's more costly in exchange for more control

What do you dislike?

No custom ssl with one time add on pricing but rather needed to pay the pro plan to get this feature. Want EV SSL? Out of luck unless you're ready to pay that much. Also crazy that their built in insight also cost extra. Sadly for more control of the site over Shopify which do not allow custom ssl at All unless you're spending 2k a month on Shopify plus. Still would needed to pay more in exchange for bigcommerce

Recommendations to others considering the product

They're soon to be adding importing product from eBay finally according to soon to happen bigcommerce town hall end of this month. Sadly no estimation of when exactly it will be activated. Like pinterest it can be months or maybe just weeks but it's all TBD at this point. Personally I'm looking forward for it

E commerce multi channel selling

BigCommerce review by Alene Y.
Alene Y.

"A must for all e-Commerce businesses "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Big Commerce offers helpful and practical tools that you will actually use in your business. It also helps leverage your business easily across various social media platforms.

What do you dislike?

They tend to charge extra fees for successful customers which tends to cause some controversy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe it has potential but is worth a try for any e-Commerce business needing more exposure

Getting our product out and in front to various people across the world. Benefits we have seen include high social media presence and inquiries through our website platform.

BigCommerce review by John W.
John W.

"Good for Businesses with Standard Ecommerce Requirements"

What do you like best?

Cloud based environment makes it easy for non technical people to manage. Licensing is cheaper than equivalent systems (like Magento 2 Cloud)

What do you dislike?

Hard to create custom functionality. API is not as robust as needed to create complicated business functions (for example, there is a lack of usable hooks for things like cart functions, and order functions). Many functions need to be done through front end Javascript coding, which isn't suited for normal front end developers. And 3rd party vendor support for extensions can get expensive on a recurring basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have very specific, unique business processes, do good due diligence to make sure you can actually accomplish them with either a 3rd party vendor 9make sure it's worth the cost) or with custom coding. We ran into this issue with one store, after transitioning multiple stores to BigCommerce, that prevented transitioning that store for almost a year while a solution was implemented.

BigCommerce provided a cost savings on licensing over a Magento 2 Enterprise license. The company wanted to reduce licensing expense and also backend developer headcount.

BigCommerce review by Administrator in Automotive
Administrator in Automotive

"BigCommerce Little Knowledge"

What do you like best?

BigCommerce is very user friendly and at it's core very easy to get into and use, but when you want to do more finite things it starts to become lackluster.

What do you dislike?

When you are trying to do more advanced things, for example in depth coupon codes for customers regarding mutli-tiered discounts, there isn't a way to do it. Contact their support team about such things that aren't straight forward yields not promising results. There has been many times where the support agent I am talking to has no knowledge or even what I am trying to describe to them.

BigCommerce helps us realize our website with a very easy to use system, but it lacks more intricate systems to help further our websites capabilities.

BigCommerce review by Jarah A.
Jarah A.

"Some great features, but lacks basic reporting"

What do you like best?

Great customer support! The main product admin page allows you to do more on it than Shopify.

What do you dislike?

Lacks good sales reports. Have to pay for the largest pro account to get product filtering - which we did, but even then they aren't intuitive. The product options/option sets are bulky when you have thousands of products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Got with Shopify - they have add-on apps that can get you what you need. Big Commerce doesn't offer what we needed, even from their add-on apps.

Better than the custom-built, outdated cart software we had before.

BigCommerce review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Sell Online Easily By Pairing With Your In-Store Square Set-up"

What do you like best?

I've been searching for an e-commerce solution to help me track inventory across the online and in-store POS. Big COmmerce is the best solution for Square users - links up easily so all your inventory's in one place - plus, so many more SEO improvement options, Google and Facebook ads plugs-ins and more. Really think everything they've added so far helps us - fomr easy set-up to shipping choice plu-ins.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to enter weights to get real-time shipping quotes, but it's worth it once you see customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SIgn up for the trial + give Big Commerce a try.

The biggest problem Big Commerce solved for us was the pit in our stomach every time we received an online order + were unsure if the item was actually in stock in the store. Square offers their own online storefront, and we tried it, but using it killed our online sales - think their SEO may not be the best, yet.

BigCommerce review by Mitch W.
Mitch W.

"Great Shopping Cart, Moving in the right direction"

What do you like best?

It's secure and offers a lot of standard features out of the box. Their chat support is great (I have never used their phone support), and they offer a large number of plugin/integrations.

What do you dislike?

API support isn't great, they often don't reply at all. Subscriptions are not really supported as a feature.

They provide a secure, cost efficient shopping cart for several of my clients. I've had clients using Magento and Opencart that had to endure the cost of updates. Bigcommerce gives them the features and security without the long term cost or high server bills.

BigCommerce review by Manfred S.
Manfred S.

"Live the life you dream about!"

What do you like best?

Our business was started 5 years ago when I was fresh out of college and got a job with a lot of broken promises. I felt stuck and as if there was little hope for that bright future I expected to have being a college graduate with an engineering degree. The business challenge that BigCommerce helped me overcome is the hardest challenge any business has to overcome and that is doing business in a format that you have no idea about. We sell performance truck parts, I know intakes, exhausts, lift kits, wheels, tires, and even how to adjust engine calibrations, but html code? NO WAY! I don’t even know where to start.

BigCommerce bridged that gap, not only did they bridge it, they have had people along the way that at any time I had a question or wasn’t sure how to integrate something they were there to happily help. If it was questions about paypal integration, setting up shipping, or even an unsolicited phone call to see how things were going and offer suggestions that they saw could improve our conversion rate (that is one term I did learn about ecommerce vary quickly), BigCommerce was there to help! While other people will be writing in about something great and complex they created or found a new way to integrate, some fancy html, java, (don’t even know if people use that any more, just sounds “ecommercy”), to me PEOPLE are BigCommerce’s greatest integration. Without the people at BigCommerce we would not be where we are today and my business, my life style would not be where it is today.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike that I can think of that I wish I could run multiple BigCommerce stores in the same window, the platform is so fast and easy that we use it for www.longhornfabshop.com and www.schreyeroutfitters.com and it would be nice. We have a work around, we just keep two browsers open on each computer to process orders. I believe there is an app as well that combines them and is fully integrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't be disappointed. Every time I log in, I'm excited to see what they have improved on!

BigCommerce bridges the gap between "I have an idea on a product or service I want to sell!" and "How in the world do I sell it online, I know nothing about website building, merchant accounts, sales tax collection, etc!!??"

Their simple "setup wizard" style makes you confident you have covered everything and aren't missing anything important.

BigCommerce review by User

"Excellent platform that is much more robust than its competitors"

What do you like best?

As the title implies we love big commerce. Out of the box it is so much more feature rich than some of its competitors, its direct competitor being Shopify which is paltry in comparison to the big c without plugins out of the box. Big commerce also has a great customer service that is available at all times. Another huge positive is how scalable and customizable it is with its great AppStore that has lots of options.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Shopify is still more popular than bigcomerce so we ran into issues of some apps we needed on our store not being available on Bigcommerce and were forced to for alternatives. Be aware that bigcommerce costs a pretty penny too especially on the enterprise package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the plugins and App Store first, your favorite Shopify plugin might not be there!

To host our online store and manage our inventory and sell online to our many customers. We realized what a great hosting and platform bigc is!

BigCommerce review by User in Executive Office
User in Executive Office

"Shipping manager using BigC for website orders"

What do you like best?

BigCommerce organizes incoming customer orders into categories, including pending, awaiting fulfillment, and awaiting shipment, which keeps our workflow going smoothly.

What do you dislike?

My personal use of BigC within the company, the fact that orders are listed by customer name, rather than the name the order is to be shipped to, can create small snags for me when searching for an order if those names and different.

Because I handle shipping and do not input orders myself, BigCommerce helps keep me in the know and updated with orders my employer has manually put into BigC. And on the other side, the site keeps my employer up to date with which orders have been shipped, which are awaiting shipment, etc, improving our communication.

BigCommerce review by Ash O.
Ash O.

"BigCommerce should take care of Frontend "

What do you like best?

BigCommerce is really a powerful eCommerce CMS when it comes to mid and enterprise level business, it’s handy with its all the ease of use functionalities and in built function, unlike other SAAS eCommerce BigCommerce has all in one solution. I really like that.

What do you dislike?

But BigCommerce biggest drawback is when you want to expand the functionalities out of the box, you’ve to hire developers for simple thing, the fronted devlopment is not really very compelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Taking care of partner programme

Take care of partners

Have more apps in App Store

Prompt support

I own an agency and we often refer BigCommerce to mid level eCommerce businesses because of its in built solution.

BigCommerce review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Fantastic!"

What do you like best?

In our view, out of all the other e-commerce builders, BigCommerce offers the most helpful and practical tools that you will actually use – all included as part of their monthly package.

From integration with email newsletter tools (auto responders), creating coupons / promotion campaigns, unlimited product variations (e.g. different t-shirt colors and sizes), shipping and tax configurations, secure payment gateway integrations, handling returns, store statistics reporting, social sharing, product wish list, product reviews, etc. They really set you up with a lot of tools you need to help you succeed.

What do you dislike?

BigCommerce only has 7 free templates which is quite limited when compared to its competitors such as Shopify (Shopify has 24 free templates). When it comes to premium / paid templates, BigCommerce has 76 at the moment, and they range from $145 – $235 per template.

In contrast, Shopify has over 140 premium / paid templates available – more options is usually better. We know that this is something BigCommerce is working on improving, so hopefully they will issue more updated storefront designs soon.

Making sure that only one person has access to that information at one time. It's a scheduling conflict on our end

BigCommerce review by Sladana P.
Sladana P.

"Experience first hand"

What do you like best?

a choice of 7 free templates

the ability to sell a wide range of either physical or digital goods, in categories of your choosing and using shipping rates of your choosing

integration with Paypal and a wide range of payment gateways

full content management (CMS) functionality

What do you dislike?

There are no transaction fees, even if you use a third-party payment gateway.

The overall feature set on entry-level Bigcommerce plans is comprehensive by comparison to competing products.

You get a good set of reporting tools on all plans - again, this is not the case with all competing products.

It comes with built-in product review functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much better customer service, approach to monetizing your own blog

Getting more customers! Create custom fields!

BigCommerce review by Luanna T.
Luanna T.

"Functional & Affordable"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to customize and add your own branding. The themes are current and easily customizable. You don't need any experience in coding and design. Everything is self explanatory and anyone can create an amazing site. The support team is also amazing !

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really to dislike. Works and generated sales from the first few days after launch.

Providing customers with a site that's easy to navigate and displays products adequately. Provides customers a place to view and purchase from the comfort of their homes.

BigCommerce review by Janine P.
Janine P.

"LOVE Big Commerce"

What do you like best?

You get so many features with just the basic plan.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to mass edit products, you have to open each product one at a time, versus hit "next" to bring up the next product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the basic plan you really do get a lot, and everyone is so helpful and willing to help answer your questions.

Getting a professional looking e-commerce website that welcomes people to shop. I can offer so many things to my customers that are not available on other platforms, like showing quantity left in inventory, Free add ons to do pop up messages, and more.

BigCommerce review by Hemdeep M.
Hemdeep M.

"Effective tool for e-commerce business"

What do you like best?

well,i like this about because i am using bigcommerce for a co-own website syvanz.com. Bigcommerce is for everyone, anyone can setup his/her own business. I like bigcommerce than shopify because to be eligible in shopify you must a credit card but for bigCommerce its not. So get it ready with paypal.

What do you dislike?

Big commerce lacks quality like Shopify but also better than shopify in eligiblity terms. i dont have dislike but they could better if they provide more free themes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BigCommerce does the same as shopify. And also inexpensive. So why not Bigcommerce?

i am solvingan e-commerce business and i realized that it is a bit better than shopify in pricing terms.

BigCommerce review by Andrew D. G.
Andrew D. G.

"Scalable platform for eCommerce growth"

What do you like best?

1) It works, uptime is great

2) It's highly scalable for small cost focused start-ups which can start at low cost and develop their eCommerce store look and features as their business and experience develops

3) There are many seamless applications, tons of help, training and advice, and a huge community of fellow traders, developers, affiliates etc. Even the CEO does a monthly Q&A/ Town Hall meeting on-line

4) There is a huge amount of stuff in the pipeline to help eCommerce clients grow

5) Great value for money

What do you dislike?

As a global business based in the States it can sometimes have too much of a US mindset.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1) Find other users, study Bigcommerce bolgs, articles, forums etc.

2) Start within your budget (rather than getting carried away and busting it) and scale later, it's easy and there are few contractual commitments.

3) Engage with the community to maximise benefits.

My eCommerce store simply wouldn't have come about without Bigcommerce. It's allowed me to start small and grow carefully. Now we're growing rapidly. Bigcommerce has enabled my store to realise the sort of look and features that would cost a small fortune done independently and with the benefit of continual scalable improvement.

BigCommerce review by Cami N.
Cami N.

"Great for Online Stores"

What do you like best?

I think the best part about BigCommerce is the ability to customize the behind-the-scenes dashboard for different employees. This makes it easier for the employees to keep to the parts that they deal with, without getting lost in the other parts.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the theme customizer. Working with the code in the HTML/CSS editor is painful and impossible to keep well organized. Also, for the first 3 weeks, the code would not appear, so I couldn't do my job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This content management system is great for most online businesses. It enables almost every aspect of running an online store to be contained in one place. I think that BigCommerce is a great piece of software!

This software is excellent for running an online store. As the graphic designer, I think it's relatively easy to work with the theme and graphics. It is also nice that the code was customizable.

BigCommerce review by Wyatt K.
Wyatt K.

"Big Commerce wins big for back end management of e Commerce and more!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and abundant management and analytical tools available in the back end of BC. I use it all day every day to manage customers, orders and products in the thousands. I just recently opened a new store with even more products and expect it to help me succeed immensely. The competition is using outdated technology and will end up in the dust.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes have a hard time figuring things out and don't like to have to spend so much time digging through the help to figure things out but in the end it proves to be pretty easy to get an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you will be selling many products for a long time this is the best choice.

Ease of use and perfect ability to manage customers, products and orders.

BigCommerce review by Jim L.
Jim L.

"Decent ecommerce platform that recently improved"

What do you like best?

Good, stable ecommerce platform that has a variety of plans to fit a variety of size businesses. Their recent upgrade greatly improved the user interface. They also have started using the "app" method of installing additional apps. Prior to this it was pretty difficult adding anything as an add on.

What do you dislike?

The one part that is difficult for me is the product options/option sets. For my business, I have a variety of options and option sets and I need to adjust each month for our promotions and it just takes a bit longer than I feel it should. This really could be just relating to me as I have almost 50 options for each item and a variety of option sets based on the type of product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check it out. There are a variety of packages at this price range. Big Commerce fits nicely in the middle and has been making improvement.s

Big Commerce provides a decent shopping platform for our store that has been very stable and allowed us to keep our store without a lot of work.

BigCommerce review by Administrator in Design
Administrator in Design

"Outdated and Complicated"

What do you like best?

It allows someone without knowledge of code to create an online store and collect payments from people.

What do you dislike?

If you want to customize anything, it's extremely complicated and tedious. The templating system is very old. It's difficult to find freelancers who will work with it anymore because of that. I have one customer who has been on BigCommerce for years and he's had a terrible experience even at one of the highest paying tiers. Their customer support is not helpful at all and their documentation is disorganized and they have old instructions scattered across search engines, it's hard to understand what's still relevant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at Shopify or even WooCommerce with WordPress.

It has allowed me (years ago) to create a website for my customers who wanted an online store.

BigCommerce review by Consultant

"Great for Enterprise Level Sites"

What do you like best?

BigCommerce has incredible support across the board. They truly take care of their customers and invest in those relationships. From a partner perspective it's reassuring that should I need anything I'll be able to talk to someone ready to help me out. From a client perspective there is peace of mind knowing they can always call support and receive quality help. Outside of the customer service, the platform itself is one of my favorites. Less app installations needed for basic customizations and developer friendly. All around one of my favorite platforms to work with.

What do you dislike?

It's not necessarily harder to train a client on BigCommerce, but in some ways it is less intuitive than other platforms. However, that honestly hasn't even been a big issue for us.

I think one of the biggest benefits to working with BigCommerce is their customer support. I don't dread calling support like I do with virtually any other company.

Learning about BigCommerce?

* We monitor all BigCommerce reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.