4.3 out of 5
Do you work for Bitbucket?

Bitbucket Reviews & Product Details

What is Bitbucket?

Bitbucket is the Git solution for professional teams. It provides collaboration and code management around the versioning of your codebase. Every piece of core functionality has been built to help software teams work better together. This ranges from collaboration to integrations & extensibility, security, and scalability. Bitbucket allows software teams to collaborate around their source code, secure their code base, enforce development workflows, and scale as their team grows. It integrates with JIRA Software for traceability from feature ideation through deployment. Bitbucket provides a platform for developers to discuss code changes, a window into development progress for development managers, and a performant version control system for system admins.

Bitbucket Screenshots

Bitbucket Profile Details

Bitbucket Profile Details

Atlassian
Description
Atlassian is a provider of collaboration, development, and issue tracking software for teams. With over 50,000 global customers (including 85 of the Fortune 100), their advancing the power of collaboration with products including JIRA, Confluence, HipChat, and Bitbucket.
2002

Bitbucket Reviews

1-50 of 327 total Bitbucket reviews

Bitbucket Reviews

1-50 of 327 total Bitbucket reviews
Bitbucket review by Gabriella A.
Desarrollador de software y aplicaciones

" Great software with private repositories to store our codes."

What do you like best?

Because I like? it is very simple to say, it is because it provides the best private repositories and without limit of number that is to say you can create the ones you want, its interface is extremely nice which makes its use very simple, it is ideal to store a large amount of codes of organizations or companies and the best thing is that it offers a great price and can be integrated with several services.

What do you dislike?

A sincerity I consider that it is one of the best software that was used for this function so that I have nothing negative to say, it is super complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket makes it much easier to check your peer codes or to carry out a control of your Hosting, thanks to the fact that it allows you to create unlimited private repositories ideal for your small, medium or large company and all this can be done in a very simple because it is very easy to use.

In our company we use Bitbucket to carry out a follow-up of our large projects, and we compare our peer codes in order to carry out a better management of them, besides this it is very interactive and intuitive, so working with it makes everything very simple.

Bitbucket review by Boris A.
CEO

"Very good version control system"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is very easy to use software service. The best part is that it allows having a private repo with up to 5 people inside. This is a very good feature for startups and small teams to have code under the private repository. With bitbucket the code review process is very easy, you can write comments make changes right inside the pull request or commit. It also has all integrations with other Atlassian's software which can save a lot of time. Once your project up and running with more people (more than 5) the price is very affordable.

What do you dislike?

I have been using bitbucket for 3-5 years and so far there are no points which I dislike. The only thing is that the service becomes down for a few minutes and this is really frustrating as no code or commands can be deployed. And another point is that the repo has 2gb size limit but I don't think this is a case as it supposed to store only code and note media files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a free software service which supports private repositories for up to 5 people. I definitely recommend to give it a try as it is free (for small teams and projects) and very easy to use.

Nowadays when the project consists of many people there is no way to work on the code by one. The whole team work on the project and bitbucket gives the ability to control the code flow and the software versioning. It has all the tools which make the development process very easy and smooth.

BitBucket allows us to have private repos with very easy to use interface. And in case you are working on a small project with a team up to 5 people you don't need to pay anything.

Bitbucket review by Pascal L.
Release Manager

"Bitbucket Server gives you full control of your code"

What do you like best?

It is great to be able to do the code review within Bitbucket.

Bitbucket work perfectly with all the other Atlasian products.

The plugin collection is pretty good. And the quality of the plug is great too.

It does offer a great interaction with Jenkins to execute CI/CD.

What do you dislike?

We don't like the fact that Bitbucket Cloud and Server or so much different.

We would have though that the later is the same has «bitbucket.org», but on premise. It is not, it is a different product with different set of Api.

The plugin market is great, but the price to add some basic functionality is something ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is great and cheaper than other git management solution.

If you don't want to do an in house installation, use bitbucket on cloud.

We have move from different set of tool (gitolite, fisheye, crucible) to a single product Bitbucket.

It has reduce our product costs and maintenances fees.

Bitbucket review by Lin N.
Event Marketing Manager
Gambling & Casinos

"The effective solution for all team."

What do you like best?

I like the way of distributed release monitor system that makes it simple for us to cooperate with our working team. Always have unbroken access to the data center. The freedom to use our productivity quicker and from anywhere in the world. Wonderful tools to learn about.

What do you dislike?

Very good opportunity to manage all working steps which are really very easy and doesn't bring any bad issues. I don't have any ideas what you can to change on this software as I know that this program completely suits me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The bitbucket for sure will present to you a higher quality which you rea strongly need. Will provides you a benefit in communicating with all colleagues which you require. The better way to receive preferably involvement in your team.

Definitely, we completely enjoy with our working tool. We guess that we found the key to valid work which will help us to operate for results. Also, we have the opportunity to work with the big amount of our documents and we can store all of them in a very large memory place which is really very helpful for all of the team.

Bitbucket review by Aaron J.

"BitBucket is a Great Alternative to GitHub"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and understand and intuitive. Issue tracker is easy to use.

But the main reason I love it is due to its pricing plan which blows GitHub's out of the water. Bitbucket offers private repos for free up to 5 members and if you want to add more members then there is a cost, whereas GitHub only offers private repos with a paid plan.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how each site has their own slight variation on the poorly defined Markdown markup language. I wish it adopted CommonMark which was started by recognizable figures in industry to better define the Markdown specification.

I don't like their size restriction of 2 GB on git repositories (although to be fair this is more an issue with git's performance at those sizes rather than an issue with BitBucket itself).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely start your private repos here instead of GitHub which is only more popular because they were established first.

BitBucket allows me to host private git repos for my multiple side projects which don't make revenue and I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

I also don't have to worry about paying if I want to give a few others access to my repo when working with others.

Bitbucket review by Valerio P.

"Excellent GIT Repository"

What do you like best?

With Bitbucket I can save my Git repositories in a safe and very reliable way. I have been working with this tool for several years and I have not had a single problem with it.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I can say that I do not like. With Bitbucket I have achieved everything I expected to save my development projects.

Perhaps the only thing I can mention is that working with the new templates to deploy a project can be a bit confusing at first, but on the Internet there are many guides that can help you solve that quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket for me is the benchmark in the market. Perhaps many may be inclined to use Github, but really if you are in the corporate sector, Bitbucket is for me the best option.

Because we are a company that develops software, we need a reliable private repository to store our projects and share it with the entire development team.

Bitbucket provides this alternative in a very reliable way. It also allows us to review the code and create pull request so that including updates without revision in a branch is very difficult.

Bitbucket review by Quinton C.
Lead Software Engineer

"Excellent Version Control System For Businesses"

What do you like best?

Not only is this solution to version control cheap, but it is excellent. This system can be based off of git or mercurial which is a huge plus to developers who are used to either of those systems. The price is either cheap or free depending on how you use the system which is a huge selling point to businesses like ours. It also has features such as an API that you can integrate into your projects.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike is that the GUI client that is available for download is a bit confusing. If you aren't familiar with git based systems and using CLI then this can be quite confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The main recommendation that I would have for those who are switching to Bitbucket is to know if you are going to use it as a git or a mercurial based system. If you are using it with a Git based system, make sure that you understand the Git CLI so that you can better resolve any issues that pop up.

We are using Bitbucket as a means of version control. We have realized that Bitbucket has much better features compared to other free systems such as Subversion.

Bitbucket review by Daniel L.
CEO / Founder

"Great Private Repos for Teams"

What do you like best?

BitBucket's interface for configuring your git repos is fantastic. Additionally, the ability to search code, review pull requests, and monitor your team's progress is great. Set up was trivial - we switched from self-hosted mercurial to BitBucket hosted git (even though Bitbucket can host mercurial repos). It took about 2 hours total to make the switch. Most of the time was spent waiting for the upload/push to complete. We were able to keep commit history as well which was a major plus.

What do you dislike?

The new UI change makes jumping between repositories difficult. For a startup, each developer works on multiple repositories and switching between them can be cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. Set up an account and add a remote server to your repo. Push it there and then poke around and see how you like it. The nice thing about git/BitBucket is that it's very easy to try and to set up. Take a close look at the branch permissions system and then the pull requests.

Having git hosted and managed for us has save us time managing a dev server. Additionally, having the ability to manage permissions and review pull requests simply helps our team spend more time developing and less time fighting git.

Bitbucket review by Rakesh K.
CTO & Co-Founder
E-Learning

"Most balanced git service I've come across"

What do you like best?

* I believe it achieves the right balance for the Freemium model in the git SaaS world.

* Integrates well with Jira, allowing tracking of bug/fix commits within Jira issues

* They are the developers of SourceTree which is one of the most capable git desktop clients (at least on the mac)

* The ability to review and comment on commits in the web interface

What do you dislike?

* Even after a recent redesign, the UI is cluttered and confused

Recommendations to others considering the product

I found Bitbucket hit the right spot when we started up a few years ago - the pricing model is right (especially for a startup) and they are a rock solid service (only a few intermittent outages). Comparatively, Github pricing is all wrong for a startup (private repos cost on a per developer level), and GitLab is young and really wonky in both usage as well as uptime.

We found Bitbucket very capable and when we first started out, it was important to us that their pricing was startup friendly while still allowing us to create private repositories right off the bat without paying (unlike github)

We needed a capable git SaaS that allowed us to create private repositories without having to pay a lot because source code repositories are fundamental infrastructure that you want to stress test for a while before committing to it. Paying up front (like for github) creates a powerful disincentive to leave even if the service doesn't turn out to be optimal.

I also feel that Bitbucket seems to charge for the right features. As an example, they started charging as soon as we exceeded 5 users. This is very startup friendly - we were strapped for cash early on but a bigger team is a good indicator of financial health and is a good time to start charging for access.

Bitbucket review by Vita	 M.
Operations Manager

"Wonderful software which works simply for us."

What do you like best?

Bitbucket works simply, has a clear interface and many functions that we use every day. In addition, a lot of integration with different services, branched out the structure of files, which, compared to others, greatly simplifies and speeds up the work. Has a free trial, which is ideal for a start-up or small business.

What do you dislike?

I'm glad that I don't see any bad issues about that platform. Maybe time to time process can be slow but it is not a big deal as all product wor well. By the way all of the help from support service you can get online which is save your time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have good quality in the workflow, it will be useful to use software such as Bitbucket. In addition, this service will provide the opportunity for better cooperation between members of your team. And yes, if you are a representative of a small business, then you may have enough free version features.

Bitbucket is a tool that provides us with an excellent online repository for visualizing and sharing information with my team. This gives us the key to effective work that will help us work for our results. We are happy, and we are sure that Bitbucket is created for this.

Bitbucket review by Rolf M.
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Gambling & Casinos

"Easy and convenient."

What do you like best?

The better way to provide granular access monitoring for our team, ensuring the right user can make the correct changes to our code. Also, I like that I can save time combing via application results with a semantic search that ranks determination first.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that this program is not strong enough. During the working time, I never have a problem with this. To manage all of the stuff is easy and does not have any bad issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is wonderful option control system that makes it simple for you to cooperate with your working team. Also, you can enjoy flexible development models for teams of all rates and needs. The best step to have unbounded personal and public storage with Bitbucket. I recommend this a program.

This program gives us the assurance to develop. We can decrease our mistakes and keep the team lean working on critic tasks. Also, we have the ability to store and control our create configurations in a single file.

Bitbucket review by Surya Narayana R.
Senior Member Technical Staff
(10,001+ employees)

"Source code management through Bitbucket"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is source code management tool where organizations can create projects and repositories where developers can store their code. Bitbucket is based on Git. It has default branch master and for parallel development users can create n number of branches and through Bitbucket branches can be managed easily.

Pull request can be done on the UI and can be set reviewer for code review before merging to master branch and these pull request can be rejected or approved based on the code quality checks. Bitbucket can be integrated with Jenkins through webhooks where jobs can be triggered once code is pushed to Bitbucket

Bitbucket server can be installed on cloud with cloud formation templates with less effort of using amazon services. Bitbucket data center supports Bitbucket mirroring through which user in different geo graphical location can access Bitbucket without latency. And projects can be mirrored to the different regions based on the project teams.

Role based access through LDAP , groups can be synchronized through Active Directory and these groups can be given restricted access to required projects based on project management. User and groups cab be given Read, Write or Admin access. Admin can add or delete the repositories to project where as write can read and add filed to Bitbucket. Read access is only to read the repository

Bitbucket also allows to access to HTTPS and SSH protocol. Every user can be able to add SSH keys to user profile and access without password

One can easily protect their branches from direct commits /pushes through Bitbucket branch permissions. Easily restrict set reviewers for every branch. And Bitbucket notifies users for every pull request , for every push to the repository so that every user will get to know the things happening to its own repository

One an fork their repository and will be able to get changes automatically through this feature.

What do you dislike?

Browsing back to other projects is not possible directly from Bitbucket UI. One has to go back to main Projects and then navigate to required project

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended

It easy for developers, testers and architects to see the code changes and who made the changes

It is easy to get the history of the changes

One can easily blame the changes done on one file

Pull request made easy way of merging branches

Reviewers can do code review before merging on UI

Architects can Merge the branch or reject if code doesn't meet the quality

Bitbucket review by Connie L.
Project Manager

"Great work on projects."

What do you like best?

Super fast and very good work. Big helper to make your team work perfect. All of the process easy to control. I like that we can work better with a good cooperation our work is much better now. I like to use a lot of good tools.

What do you dislike?

Actually very easy to easy and good to understand. Tools are very useful and very good to work with them. Any problems which are coming to you, you will easily solve them with support service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful tools to make your project well. Perfect that you can easy to communicate with everyone. The ability to cooperate with all your team and make your work more effective.

Great software to have at the company. We like to do work on our results. The Bitbucket is much better for it. We are working good so we are having a lot of folders but we are not afraid as we know that there is a lot of place in storage.

Bitbucket review by Jolanda S.
Integration Manager
Oil & Energy

"Great free service to use"

What do you like best?

Excellent integration with Git. It is possible to use Git Large File Storage if you have large assets or data bases. Good opportunities for monitoring rights and administration. There is the possibility of integration with many services to facilitate the development process, for example we use integration with Trello. Excellent documentation, if we had problems we easily found the solution in it.

What do you dislike?

No small price if you have a large development team, but if you are a beginner startup there is a free version of up to five people. Sometimes there are problems in the operation of servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is made for large and professional development teams. Bitbucket also supports small teams and startups. If you are only five, you can use the service for free.

In our company there are remote offices. Bitbucket helps us to work with them. Exchange code has become simple.

Bitbucket review by Victor S.
System Testing and Quality Assurance
Financial Services

"Awesome version control for enterprises"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is an ideal solution for all types of companies that are looking for version control and somewhere to host and store their files. Some of the items we like best at our company are the version control, the issue previews, the file system hosting. Many other competitors charge for private repositories but bitbucket actually bases their prices on users, which makes it super affordable for smaller teams. Bitbucket also does a great job allowing my manager to review my code before committing it to the branch. Which means better code review and a better quality product.

What do you dislike?

No massive community to support it like Githu, Also its learning curve is a bit steep for new developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product with a learning curve but once you get used to it it is very easy to work with

version control and code storage and review also with the ability to roll back if one makes a mistake

Bitbucket review by Michael S.
Web Developer

"Great Version Control System for Private Repositories"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is an ideal solution for many small companies that are looking for version control and somewhere to host their files. Some of the items we like best at our company are the version control, the issue previews, the file system hosting, and the overall pricing model. Many other competitors charge for private repositories but bitbucket actually bases their prices on users, which makes it super affordable for smaller teams. Bitbucket also does a great job allowing my manager to review my code before committing it to the branch. Which means better code review and a better quality product.

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket also has some downfalls because it doesn't have a massive community behind it like some of their competitors. Additionally, their desktop application "SourceTree" is full of bugs which can make interacting with bitbucket a pain for new developers that aren't used to working within terminal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my company we are using this for the majority of our products because of the price. If your company is looking for a relatively cheap solution and having your repositories being hosted on a service it would definitely be worth checking this one out. With their pricing solution you can have as many private repositories as you want, you just have to pay for users. It is an idea solution for smaller teams.

We originally got bitbucket just for storing files for sharing and to be able to work on the same project with similar files. One of the great features we realized are are the great Version Control it offers.

Bitbucket review by Kent S.
System Engineer

"To make teamwork create more best Software."

What do you like best?

The great solution to create the best team.I can control process that makes it easy for me to cooperate with my team.A lot of kind of tools for everything.

What do you dislike?

How to say.It's will be not so easy to use but just from the begin. I guess it is not so big issue to discuss it. But anyway if something happened that you cant solve by yourself. You can contact a support service which will give you the best help on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The tools that help you to create great software. Also, I would like to tell that to communicate and cooperate, it's the best way to focus more on what that we can do our work.

We like to work with Bitbucket, It always saves time through use results with a search that description first.Helps to us to use big file storage.Helping my team focus on a process by organizing our storage into projects.

Bitbucket review by Rohan P.
Senior Software Engineer
(10,001+ employees)

"Bitbucket | Unlimited free private repos"

What do you like best?

Two options, GIT and Git provide us with great and wider options for client side too. Git GFS is an additional feature everyone must try. It opens a wide range of new things you can upload to git file structure. Code review is a important thing to ensure better code quality in company and Bitbucket even provides that sort of features in their product.

What do you dislike?

Some basic UI Issues. Other than that, I have no particular issue with this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Bitbucket.

It is used as CVS (Content Versioning System). It is widely used for rolling back to older versions whenever bugs are discovered. In order to avoid that, we also have A-B testing of code and gradual rollout so that there might be less mishap in those circumstances. Bitbucket helps in reducing errors in code too.

Bitbucket review by Dave J.
Founder & CEO

"Great for small teams or individuals"

What do you like best?

- Private repositories are free for individuals plus teams get their first 5 users for free.

- It's based on git (or mercurial)

- A nice easy to use interface

- Integrates with tons of other services for continuous integration or deployment

- You can organize repos into projects within an organization

- Unlimited number of repositories

- Pipelines are super interesting

- Can integrate directly with Trello

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket doesn't have provide interesting projects metrics like Github's Insights. Sometimes these graphs can be useful to judge cadence of a project. It could also use some of the code-review features that Github has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need more than 5 users, then it would be a good idea to compare pricing with Github. Also, because of how git works, you can easily move your master/origin back and forth between Bitbucket and Github (or any others for that matter).

We use Bitbucket for git based version control hosting. It's allows us the freedom to create as many repos as we need for our various projects.

Bitbucket review by Han-Tsung L.
Member Of Technical Staff
Defense & Space

"My Experience with BitBucket"

What do you like best?

The best part about using bitbucket is that it works with JIRA software for providing feedback on version changes. GitBucket is similar to github and with GIT support providing similar function version control and team source code collaboration and peer review.

What do you dislike?

As of right now I have not find any specific feature or characteristics that I do not like about BitBucket. It works very similar to GItHub which makes it easy to pick up as a source control product. The integration with team-based project creates a seamless environment and require no additional knowledge in understanding how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is easy to use and seems like a great alternative for version control towards project management.

Gitbucket is similar to other version control user interface. I am using gitbucket for coding project collaboration and management.

Bitbucket review by Cristian B.
Senior Software Development Manager

"Bitbucket for your file versioning"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is integrated with Bamboo and Jira which provides a complete set of tools for our software development. You can track from the beginning of an issue or story or task everything related to it: its documentation(from Confluence), the branch where the code is stored, the build that contains that code and the deployment that contains that feature or bug fix.

Other very nice features: push requests, enforced code review, create a branch for an item in Jira.

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket tends to be expensive based on the number of users: if you have more than 100 users the price will be in tenths of dollars, which for my company may be an issue. This caused us to look for alternatives like using bare Git in automations used by a wide range of users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the purchasing software is not an issue for your company and you use Jira or Bamboo, Bitbucket is the way to go.

Version control for our code, having a better control on the source code by enforcing code reviews; Continuous delivery, continuous integration.

Bitbucket review by Md. Jubaer Hossain P.
Graduate Research Assistant
Higher Education

"great private repository"

What do you like best?

The best thing about bitbucket is, it gives you a private repository with a limited amount of file storage in its free version. It means you do not need to pay anything to get a private repository. Once you get used to it you can switch to Bitbucket's standard package. The pricing for this package is not very high. The help option on Bitbucket has a very decent documentation that can help beginners to get along with this tool.

What do you dislike?

In Bitbucket, you can only use git commands to update and maintain versions of the repositories. This is where Bitbucket falls short to gitHub, where users can manage their repositories by using the Gui as well. However, I do not think this is a big issue. Since we can assume that the targeted users of Bitbucket (Developers) are pretty adept on using git commands. Also, the blog section of Bitbucket is not something to brag about. But, apart from that the software itself is very neat. Easy to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is cost-effective for people working in small teams. If you like to manage your repository using git (provided that you know your way around with git), Bitbucket is way better than gitHub.

In our Lab at the University of Arkansas, we manage our software codes using Bitbucket. Since we have small teams working on different projects (usually 4-5 people per project), Bitbucket is a very good fit. It is easy to maintain versions of our repository while working collaboratively.

Bitbucket review by Bablu J.
Technical Team Lead

"Bitbucket, love it!"

What do you like best?

The best thing is , its very developer friendly with 5 private repositories free. This makes it ideal for your poc products or even pilot launches needing 4-5 developers working on the code.

Also, some of the cool new works like aws codeDeploy (a continuous development tool ) is again, simple to use and 'free' which makes it even fun to use as a developer. Jira integration (being an Atlassian product) is pretty vast. The front end is cool. All in all a great git solution.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, not much to write here.

One enhancement that could come in handy is web hosting pages how and like Github does. Also, integration with other software (outside Atlassian) would be nice to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a highly useful product for day-to-day project management.

Very useful for developers wanting to kick start their dream projects, very useful for teams collaborating on a big project. Loads of integration. All in all, a great product.

Private repositories for POC projects with 4-5 developers working in each team.

CI/ CD

Code management

Bitbucket review by User

"Great and simple to use code review tool and code base."

What do you like best?

I like the visualisation of code reviews. Compared to other platforms used in the past, this one seems very easy and intuitive, has great options like side by side or unified diffs, and it is very simple to use. It is also a great tool to store code repos, and be able to access to quick to different versions and files within those.

What do you dislike?

I really have nothing bad to say about this, compared to other tools I use for the same purpose this is definitely the one I would choose over the others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend bitbucket, it is a great tool, lots of functionality and very easy to use.

We use bitbucket mainly to do peer code reviews, to have a searchable visual way to work repos of multiple projects and compare amongst versions and branches of each. It is easy to setup and very intuitive to use so we highly recommend it.

Bitbucket review by Angel F.
R&D Engineer

"The best version control repository"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is the next step on version control systems and much better than solutions like CVS o SVN.

Bitbucket web interface is outstanding. It allows user to easily review the different repositories, look each repository branches status, relationships and differences.

The network view on the repositories is really useful to see the history of changes, merges and branches of a repository.

The option to launch and review pull requests from the web UI improves team code review, allowing developers to adopt good programming practices in a shortest time period.

The connection of Bitbucket with JIRA really boosts software development having both the product backlog and the version control repository connected in a seamlessly and straightforward way.

What do you dislike?

Based on my experience with Bitbucket so far, there are no disadvantages on using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is user friendly, straightforward and a powerful tool for version control on software development companies

Bitbucket increases productivity and improves quality on software projects with developments teams with more than 3 people.

Bitbucket review by Patrick W.
Teaching Assistant (Rutgers Coding Bootcamp)
Higher Education
(10,001+ employees)

"Excellent platform for git-based version control"

What do you like best?

Amazing tools for managing code review and branch management. In addition, although this is more company-based than product, the Atlassian dev blog is a fantastic resource for learning about proper git flow and project management. In addition, Bitbucket has unlimited private repos, which are necessary as my team works on closed-source code.

What do you dislike?

Minor gripes I have:

- new UI; I prefer horizontal menu bars, but this is really just personal preference.

- All commits made on the web client itself do not follow the git best practice of using present imperative tense + mood.

- Going to a new repository always takes you to the source code first rather than an overview, which doesn't have the URI for cloning. An extra, unnecessary step that can be easily avoided.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you consider the necessity of private repos. That would be my foremost concern when weighing options between different git hosting platforms.

Bitbucket provides a central remote repository to host code versioned using git. In addition, Bitbucket provides a suite of tools for code review and management via branches and Pull Requests.

Bitbucket review by Richard B.
Project Director

"A Near-Perfect, Free, Private, Repository Solution"

What do you like best?

Free and unlimited amount of private repository hosting for small development teams of up to 5 people/developers per repository.

It seamlessly integrates into other Atlassian tools and services with little hassle, enabling a fluid experience across all their platforms and services. This allows development teams to easily track issues, reference those issues in commits, and deploy based on those references in a centralized and familiar environment.

It includes many of the features you would find in many other repository hosting providers such as wiki's, issue/bug tracking, etc. with the added bonus of being the only one that provides free private repos on this sort of scale.

Easy repository management, nice code view, fair & balanced licensing terms, and cloud-based deployment possibilities.

What do you dislike?

I would say there are two main things that stand out to me when it comes to where Bitbucket falls a bit short compared to it's competition...

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it's user experience. Some aspects of it are perfect. Like in terms of general aesthetics, the design elements are wonderful. But when it comes to presentation and organization of information, it's a bit convoluted. Much more than is should or needs to be.

My second main issue is the complexity behind setting up auto-deployments for web-based projects. It's much more complicated than it should be. Coming from Beanstalk as my main service for private repositories, where setting up auto-deployments was soooo simple, switching over to Bitbucket had me a bit frustrated. Not because it was a necessarily a big struggle to set it up, but because it simply didn't make any sense why it would have these layers complexities when competitors who fail in every other way can do this one thing so much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need personal, private repositories for you projects or are working with a small team (5 or less) and also don't mind getting your hands dirty setting up auto-deployments if you need them, then there really isn't any reason you shouldn't use Bitbucket.

Being that we work exclusively in small development teams or solo, this provides the perfect solution for all our code repository needs and any personal projects that aren't open source. Almost everything that I'm developing which isn't open source, goes into the Bitbucket. Adding the fact that we use other Atlassian products, the development cycle is faster when integrating those products with Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Derek J. A.
Developer

"Best private Git hosting for individual developers or small teams!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can have unlimited private repositories and not have to pay to host them. I also enjoy the ability to set key pairs per repository which is really nice for managing deployments and hooks with other services. It's also nice how I can separate my work stuff from my personal stuff without too much of a hassle.

What do you dislike?

I think the thing I dislike most is that is an Atlassian product, which has kind of a sour taste in a lot of other developers mouth. I honestly don't have any bad experiences with Atlassian products but just mentioning their name or names of some of their products to my colleagues will turn them off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's painless private git hosting for a small team. That's all their is to it.

I'm hosting my source code for my private projects that are either:

a) not ready for launch / ideas I don't want to be leaked

b) a product for work in which our standard git hosting would not work for due to use of a non-standard port

c) pet projects for work and at home, any time I need a repository for anything I usually just spin one up in Bitbucket

Bitbucket review by Raheem A.
Software Developer
Internet

"It is a very good tool for distributed version control system"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that i can create private repositories for free and it also supports mercurial

What do you dislike?

Most of the tools are not coupled together, I have to authorize my account before I can use the jira board for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is a good solution, they add new features often, the only con is that most solutions are not coupled together, you need to visit different domains to access different features. for example, if you are using the jira board, you will have to login to atlassian, if you want to use the code collaboration feature, you will login to bitbucket.

I use it for code collaboration, mostly private repositories. I also use it for continuous integration and since it has jira board, I use it for agile methodology.

Bitbucket review by Patrick L.
Chief Technology Officer

"Excellent code repository with great dev tool chain"

What do you like best?

Being part of the Atlassian product family, Bitbucket has access to and works seamlessly well with their other developer focused tools, such as JIRA, and Bamboo. This means, an organization or team can sign up with the Atlassian stack and have an end to end tool chain, and developer experience, without having to look else where, and do patch work to make different parts of their workflow work together.

For example, you can use JIRA for issue tracking, check in codes into Bitbucket with references to JIRA issues, so you can easily see what commits are related to which issue, and then build/deploy with Bamboo, with your build/deploy plans referencing Bitbucket commits, JIRA issues and releases. And for bonus point, you can federate all your user identities with their Crowd offering. This complete tool chain and end to end experience is what gives Bitbucket the edge over other competing products.

Of course, Bitbucket itself is a solid product, with support for both Cloud and on-prem deployment options. Again, this is where the rest of the Atlassian stack comes in, as those applications also support Cloud and on-prem (with exception to Bamboo, which is being replaced by Bitbucket pipeline).

Bitbucket also has very friendly licensing terms for "casual developers" that are just looking for affordable code repository services, as you can use Bitbucket for free, and have private repos, something competing offerings do not have.

What do you dislike?

As a code repository, there really isn't a lot of downsides to use Bitbucket, especially if you are already using Atlassian products for your development. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

* there are some differences between the Cloud and on-prem offerings, especially when it comes to 3rd party add-ons, so do your homework when choosing which route to take.

* GitHub is still the #1 place for hosting public (open source) projects, and many developers tend to be more familiar with it and its tool chain, so if you want to start an open source project, you may need to take that into consideration.

* It's tool chain with JIRA (issues), Confluence (wiki), etc, is more advanced and powerful, but also more involved, unlike its main competitor GitHub, which is more simplistic but also easier to use.

So it really comes down to your use case, e.g. if it is for personal or enterprise, what you already have as part of your tool chain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

* check if there are any 3rd party add-ons you will depend on.

* if you are or will be using other Atlassian tools.

Mainly using it as a Git code repository for all of our projects, integrated with Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo to have an end to end automated develop/build/release/deploy process.

Bitbucket review by Mike T.
Head Developer
Internet

"Great Git repository with loads of features for free!"

What do you like best?

That it's free. You can have unlimited private repositories for free which is great for a sole trader with loads of old projects that only get touched once or twice a year.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I've found at the moment. Integration isn't as good as GitHub but... it's free!

For most of my work I use Springloops as a Git repo but they closed their free tier so I need to migrate all my projects (about 30) elsewhere. With BitBucket it was easy, they are still private and it's free.

I use Adobe Phone Gap build for Android apps and Bit Bucket integrates with it so I can push to Bit Bucket and hit build on Phone gap

Bitbucket review by Gulshandeep S.

"Free Remote Git Repository for Your source Code"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket provides you with both public and private repositories for free. You can create a remote git repo on bitbucket and then pull and push code using git to it. Its integrations are available for all leading cloudplatforms. Its branching model makes the source code management an easy task. Its access control method are also very effective in order to control the access to your code. You can invite other developers to collaborate with you.

What do you dislike?

Personally, i do not like its user interface, it is not very intuitive, and appeals to the user.

we manage our source code using Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Tushar B.
Software Engineer 3
(10,001+ employees)

"Good tool for collaborative development"

What do you like best?

Personal repositories are free. That is the best thing about this product since I wanted some personal code and I could find this out of the box. UI is also pretty good. It has integration with JIRA which is also very good.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much - it is a pretty good software and is building new features rapidly. One thing is that although it is a free private repository, it can limit number of users contributing to one repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a pretty good tool to use and can fit most of the use cases for your requirements. It has now integrations with other Atlassian products such as JIRA which is pretty awesome.

Private repositories and personal accounts.

Bitbucket review by David C.
Software Engineer

"Stable, affordable, and integrates well with other Atlassian products"

What do you like best?

- For enterprise / companies, there are convenient integrations for Atlassian's other products such as Jira, Confluence, or Trello.

- Bitbucket offers private repository on free plan.

What do you dislike?

- Lack of third-party integrations compared to Github, although the number of integrations are growing.

- A few years ago, Bitbucket limits the maximum size of repository to be under 2 GB if I remember correctly. This limitation forced us to trim down our repository size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your repo size is well within the "normal" size. Most of the hosted git services do have certain limitations, but make sure to check with the Bitbucket team on their hard limits.

It's also a big plus if you already use Atlassian's other products. I think, integrating them with Bitbucket really brings out the benefit of Bitbucket.

Bitbucket is used as repository for our source code. The greatest benefit, I think, its helps speed up the process in project management area. For example, issues created in JIRA can be linked easily to a branch in Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Tony G.
Software Engineer

"Bitbucket"

What do you like best?

Bit bucket allows us to maintain version control on all of our repos. It integrates pretty well with all of our services ( CI tools, slack, build systems, et cetra)

What do you dislike?

The UI is not the most intuitive. Most people use the free version of Github which is a very different UI and the pull request system is a bit different.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your teams take the time to become familiar with the UI. It works very similarly to github but some of the actions are in unfamiliar locations. So if you are switching from something else it may take a bit of time to ramp up.

We are using it to do version control on everything we build. We do also use it for version control on documentation.

Bitbucket review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services