Bitbucket

Store all of your Git and Mercurial source code in one place with unlimited private repositories. Includes issue tracking, wiki, and pull requests.

Work for Bitbucket?

Learning about Bitbucket?

Bitbucket Reviews

Ask Bitbucket a Question
Showing 294 Bitbucket reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Bitbucket
Bitbucket review by Pascal L.
Pascal L.

"Bitbucket Server gives you full control of your code"

What do you like best?

It is great to be able to do the code review within Bitbucket.

Bitbucket work perfectly with all the other Atlasian products.

The plugin collection is pretty good. And the quality of the plug is great too.

It does offer a great interaction with Jenkins to execute CI/CD.

What do you dislike?

We don't like the fact that Bitbucket Cloud and Server or so much different.

We would have though that the later is the same has «bitbucket.org», but on premise. It is not, it is a different product with different set of Api.

The plugin market is great, but the price to add some basic functionality is something ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is great and cheaper than other git management solution.

If you don't want to do an in house installation, use bitbucket on cloud.

We have move from different set of tool (gitolite, fisheye, crucible) to a single product Bitbucket.

It has reduce our product costs and maintenances fees.

What Version Control Hosting solution do you use?

Bitbucket review by Lin N.
Lin N.

"The effective solution for all team."

What do you like best?

I like the way of distributed release monitor system that makes it simple for us to cooperate with our working team. Always have unbroken access to the data center. The freedom to use our productivity quicker and from anywhere in the world. Wonderful tools to learn about.

What do you dislike?

Very good opportunity to manage all working steps which are really very easy and doesn't bring any bad issues. I don't have any ideas what you can to change on this software as I know that this program completely suits me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The bitbucket for sure will present to you a higher quality which you rea strongly need. Will provides you a benefit in communicating with all colleagues which you require. The better way to receive preferably involvement in your team.

Definitely, we completely enjoy with our working tool. We guess that we found the key to valid work which will help us to operate for results. Also, we have the opportunity to work with the big amount of our documents and we can store all of them in a very large memory place which is really very helpful for all of the team.

Bitbucket review by Aaron J.
Aaron J.

"BitBucket is a Great Alternative to GitHub"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and understand and intuitive. Issue tracker is easy to use.

But the main reason I love it is due to its pricing plan which blows GitHub's out of the water. Bitbucket offers private repos for free up to 5 members and if you want to add more members then there is a cost, whereas GitHub only offers private repos with a paid plan.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how each site has their own slight variation on the poorly defined Markdown markup language. I wish it adopted CommonMark which was started by recognizable figures in industry to better define the Markdown specification.

I don't like their size restriction of 2 GB on git repositories (although to be fair this is more an issue with git's performance at those sizes rather than an issue with BitBucket itself).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely start your private repos here instead of GitHub which is only more popular because they were established first.

BitBucket allows me to host private git repos for my multiple side projects which don't make revenue and I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

I also don't have to worry about paying if I want to give a few others access to my repo when working with others.

Bitbucket review by Valerio P.
Valerio P.

"Excellent GIT Repository"

What do you like best?

With Bitbucket I can save my Git repositories in a safe and very reliable way. I have been working with this tool for several years and I have not had a single problem with it.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I can say that I do not like. With Bitbucket I have achieved everything I expected to save my development projects.

Perhaps the only thing I can mention is that working with the new templates to deploy a project can be a bit confusing at first, but on the Internet there are many guides that can help you solve that quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket for me is the benchmark in the market. Perhaps many may be inclined to use Github, but really if you are in the corporate sector, Bitbucket is for me the best option.

Because we are a company that develops software, we need a reliable private repository to store our projects and share it with the entire development team.

Bitbucket provides this alternative in a very reliable way. It also allows us to review the code and create pull request so that including updates without revision in a branch is very difficult.

Bitbucket review by Quinton C.
Quinton C.

"Excellent Version Control System For Businesses"

What do you like best?

Not only is this solution to version control cheap, but it is excellent. This system can be based off of git or mercurial which is a huge plus to developers who are used to either of those systems. The price is either cheap or free depending on how you use the system which is a huge selling point to businesses like ours. It also has features such as an API that you can integrate into your projects.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike is that the GUI client that is available for download is a bit confusing. If you aren't familiar with git based systems and using CLI then this can be quite confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The main recommendation that I would have for those who are switching to Bitbucket is to know if you are going to use it as a git or a mercurial based system. If you are using it with a Git based system, make sure that you understand the Git CLI so that you can better resolve any issues that pop up.

We are using Bitbucket as a means of version control. We have realized that Bitbucket has much better features compared to other free systems such as Subversion.

Bitbucket review by Daniel L.
Daniel L.

"Great Private Repos for Teams"

What do you like best?

BitBucket's interface for configuring your git repos is fantastic. Additionally, the ability to search code, review pull requests, and monitor your team's progress is great. Set up was trivial - we switched from self-hosted mercurial to BitBucket hosted git (even though Bitbucket can host mercurial repos). It took about 2 hours total to make the switch. Most of the time was spent waiting for the upload/push to complete. We were able to keep commit history as well which was a major plus.

What do you dislike?

The new UI change makes jumping between repositories difficult. For a startup, each developer works on multiple repositories and switching between them can be cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. Set up an account and add a remote server to your repo. Push it there and then poke around and see how you like it. The nice thing about git/BitBucket is that it's very easy to try and to set up. Take a close look at the branch permissions system and then the pull requests.

Having git hosted and managed for us has save us time managing a dev server. Additionally, having the ability to manage permissions and review pull requests simply helps our team spend more time developing and less time fighting git.

Bitbucket review by Rakesh K.
Rakesh K.

"Most balanced git service I've come across"

What do you like best?

* I believe it achieves the right balance for the Freemium model in the git SaaS world.

* Integrates well with Jira, allowing tracking of bug/fix commits within Jira issues

* They are the developers of SourceTree which is one of the most capable git desktop clients (at least on the mac)

* The ability to review and comment on commits in the web interface

What do you dislike?

* Even after a recent redesign, the UI is cluttered and confused

Recommendations to others considering the product

I found Bitbucket hit the right spot when we started up a few years ago - the pricing model is right (especially for a startup) and they are a rock solid service (only a few intermittent outages). Comparatively, Github pricing is all wrong for a startup (private repos cost on a per developer level), and GitLab is young and really wonky in both usage as well as uptime.

We found Bitbucket very capable and when we first started out, it was important to us that their pricing was startup friendly while still allowing us to create private repositories right off the bat without paying (unlike github)

We needed a capable git SaaS that allowed us to create private repositories without having to pay a lot because source code repositories are fundamental infrastructure that you want to stress test for a while before committing to it. Paying up front (like for github) creates a powerful disincentive to leave even if the service doesn't turn out to be optimal.

I also feel that Bitbucket seems to charge for the right features. As an example, they started charging as soon as we exceeded 5 users. This is very startup friendly - we were strapped for cash early on but a bigger team is a good indicator of financial health and is a good time to start charging for access.

Bitbucket review by Vita	 M.
Vita M.

"Wonderful software which works simply for us."

What do you like best?

Bitbucket works simply, has a clear interface and many functions that we use every day. In addition, a lot of integration with different services, branched out the structure of files, which, compared to others, greatly simplifies and speeds up the work. Has a free trial, which is ideal for a start-up or small business.

What do you dislike?

I'm glad that I don't see any bad issues about that platform. Maybe time to time process can be slow but it is not a big deal as all product wor well. By the way all of the help from support service you can get online which is save your time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have good quality in the workflow, it will be useful to use software such as Bitbucket. In addition, this service will provide the opportunity for better cooperation between members of your team. And yes, if you are a representative of a small business, then you may have enough free version features.

Bitbucket is a tool that provides us with an excellent online repository for visualizing and sharing information with my team. This gives us the key to effective work that will help us work for our results. We are happy, and we are sure that Bitbucket is created for this.

Bitbucket review by Rolf M.
Rolf M.

"Easy and convenient."

What do you like best?

The better way to provide granular access monitoring for our team, ensuring the right user can make the correct changes to our code. Also, I like that I can save time combing via application results with a semantic search that ranks determination first.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that this program is not strong enough. During the working time, I never have a problem with this. To manage all of the stuff is easy and does not have any bad issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is wonderful option control system that makes it simple for you to cooperate with your working team. Also, you can enjoy flexible development models for teams of all rates and needs. The best step to have unbounded personal and public storage with Bitbucket. I recommend this a program.

This program gives us the assurance to develop. We can decrease our mistakes and keep the team lean working on critic tasks. Also, we have the ability to store and control our create configurations in a single file.

Bitbucket review by Surya Narayana R.
Surya Narayana R.

"Source code management through Bitbucket"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is source code management tool where organizations can create projects and repositories where developers can store their code. Bitbucket is based on Git. It has default branch master and for parallel development users can create n number of branches and through Bitbucket branches can be managed easily.

Pull request can be done on the UI and can be set reviewer for code review before merging to master branch and these pull request can be rejected or approved based on the code quality checks. Bitbucket can be integrated with Jenkins through webhooks where jobs can be triggered once code is pushed to Bitbucket

Bitbucket server can be installed on cloud with cloud formation templates with less effort of using amazon services. Bitbucket data center supports Bitbucket mirroring through which user in different geo graphical location can access Bitbucket without latency. And projects can be mirrored to the different regions based on the project teams.

Role based access through LDAP , groups can be synchronized through Active Directory and these groups can be given restricted access to required projects based on project management. User and groups cab be given Read, Write or Admin access. Admin can add or delete the repositories to project where as write can read and add filed to Bitbucket. Read access is only to read the repository

Bitbucket also allows to access to HTTPS and SSH protocol. Every user can be able to add SSH keys to user profile and access without password

One can easily protect their branches from direct commits /pushes through Bitbucket branch permissions. Easily restrict set reviewers for every branch. And Bitbucket notifies users for every pull request , for every push to the repository so that every user will get to know the things happening to its own repository

One an fork their repository and will be able to get changes automatically through this feature.

What do you dislike?

Browsing back to other projects is not possible directly from Bitbucket UI. One has to go back to main Projects and then navigate to required project

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended

It easy for developers, testers and architects to see the code changes and who made the changes

It is easy to get the history of the changes

One can easily blame the changes done on one file

Pull request made easy way of merging branches

Reviewers can do code review before merging on UI

Architects can Merge the branch or reject if code doesn't meet the quality

Bitbucket review by Connie L.
Connie L.

"Great work on projects."

What do you like best?

Super fast and very good work. Big helper to make your team work perfect. All of the process easy to control. I like that we can work better with a good cooperation our work is much better now. I like to use a lot of good tools.

What do you dislike?

Actually very easy to easy and good to understand. Tools are very useful and very good to work with them. Any problems which are coming to you, you will easily solve them with support service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful tools to make your project well. Perfect that you can easy to communicate with everyone. The ability to cooperate with all your team and make your work more effective.

Great software to have at the company. We like to do work on our results. The Bitbucket is much better for it. We are working good so we are having a lot of folders but we are not afraid as we know that there is a lot of place in storage.

Bitbucket review by Jolanda S.
Jolanda S.

"Great free service to use"

What do you like best?

Excellent integration with Git. It is possible to use Git Large File Storage if you have large assets or data bases. Good opportunities for monitoring rights and administration. There is the possibility of integration with many services to facilitate the development process, for example we use integration with Trello. Excellent documentation, if we had problems we easily found the solution in it.

What do you dislike?

No small price if you have a large development team, but if you are a beginner startup there is a free version of up to five people. Sometimes there are problems in the operation of servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is made for large and professional development teams. Bitbucket also supports small teams and startups. If you are only five, you can use the service for free.

In our company there are remote offices. Bitbucket helps us to work with them. Exchange code has become simple.

Bitbucket review by Victor S.
Victor S.

"Awesome version control for enterprises"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is an ideal solution for all types of companies that are looking for version control and somewhere to host and store their files. Some of the items we like best at our company are the version control, the issue previews, the file system hosting. Many other competitors charge for private repositories but bitbucket actually bases their prices on users, which makes it super affordable for smaller teams. Bitbucket also does a great job allowing my manager to review my code before committing it to the branch. Which means better code review and a better quality product.

What do you dislike?

No massive community to support it like Githu, Also its learning curve is a bit steep for new developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product with a learning curve but once you get used to it it is very easy to work with

version control and code storage and review also with the ability to roll back if one makes a mistake

Bitbucket review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Great Version Control System for Private Repositories"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is an ideal solution for many small companies that are looking for version control and somewhere to host their files. Some of the items we like best at our company are the version control, the issue previews, the file system hosting, and the overall pricing model. Many other competitors charge for private repositories but bitbucket actually bases their prices on users, which makes it super affordable for smaller teams. Bitbucket also does a great job allowing my manager to review my code before committing it to the branch. Which means better code review and a better quality product.

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket also has some downfalls because it doesn't have a massive community behind it like some of their competitors. Additionally, their desktop application "SourceTree" is full of bugs which can make interacting with bitbucket a pain for new developers that aren't used to working within terminal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my company we are using this for the majority of our products because of the price. If your company is looking for a relatively cheap solution and having your repositories being hosted on a service it would definitely be worth checking this one out. With their pricing solution you can have as many private repositories as you want, you just have to pay for users. It is an idea solution for smaller teams.

We originally got bitbucket just for storing files for sharing and to be able to work on the same project with similar files. One of the great features we realized are are the great Version Control it offers.

Bitbucket review by Kent S.
Kent S.

"To make teamwork create more best Software."

What do you like best?

The great solution to create the best team.I can control process that makes it easy for me to cooperate with my team.A lot of kind of tools for everything.

What do you dislike?

How to say.It's will be not so easy to use but just from the begin. I guess it is not so big issue to discuss it. But anyway if something happened that you cant solve by yourself. You can contact a support service which will give you the best help on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The tools that help you to create great software. Also, I would like to tell that to communicate and cooperate, it's the best way to focus more on what that we can do our work.

We like to work with Bitbucket, It always saves time through use results with a search that description first.Helps to us to use big file storage.Helping my team focus on a process by organizing our storage into projects.

Bitbucket review by Rohan P.
Rohan P.

"Bitbucket | Unlimited free private repos"

What do you like best?

Two options, GIT and Git provide us with great and wider options for client side too. Git GFS is an additional feature everyone must try. It opens a wide range of new things you can upload to git file structure. Code review is a important thing to ensure better code quality in company and Bitbucket even provides that sort of features in their product.

What do you dislike?

Some basic UI Issues. Other than that, I have no particular issue with this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Bitbucket.

It is used as CVS (Content Versioning System). It is widely used for rolling back to older versions whenever bugs are discovered. In order to avoid that, we also have A-B testing of code and gradual rollout so that there might be less mishap in those circumstances. Bitbucket helps in reducing errors in code too.

Bitbucket review by Dave J.
Dave J.

"Great for small teams or individuals"

What do you like best?

- Private repositories are free for individuals plus teams get their first 5 users for free.

- It's based on git (or mercurial)

- A nice easy to use interface

- Integrates with tons of other services for continuous integration or deployment

- You can organize repos into projects within an organization

- Unlimited number of repositories

- Pipelines are super interesting

- Can integrate directly with Trello

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket doesn't have provide interesting projects metrics like Github's Insights. Sometimes these graphs can be useful to judge cadence of a project. It could also use some of the code-review features that Github has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need more than 5 users, then it would be a good idea to compare pricing with Github. Also, because of how git works, you can easily move your master/origin back and forth between Bitbucket and Github (or any others for that matter).

We use Bitbucket for git based version control hosting. It's allows us the freedom to create as many repos as we need for our various projects.

Bitbucket review by Han-Tsung L.
Han-Tsung L.

"My Experience with BitBucket"

What do you like best?

The best part about using bitbucket is that it works with JIRA software for providing feedback on version changes. GitBucket is similar to github and with GIT support providing similar function version control and team source code collaboration and peer review.

What do you dislike?

As of right now I have not find any specific feature or characteristics that I do not like about BitBucket. It works very similar to GItHub which makes it easy to pick up as a source control product. The integration with team-based project creates a seamless environment and require no additional knowledge in understanding how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is easy to use and seems like a great alternative for version control towards project management.

Gitbucket is similar to other version control user interface. I am using gitbucket for coding project collaboration and management.

Bitbucket review by Cristian B.
Cristian B.

"Bitbucket for your file versioning"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is integrated with Bamboo and Jira which provides a complete set of tools for our software development. You can track from the beginning of an issue or story or task everything related to it: its documentation(from Confluence), the branch where the code is stored, the build that contains that code and the deployment that contains that feature or bug fix.

Other very nice features: push requests, enforced code review, create a branch for an item in Jira.

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket tends to be expensive based on the number of users: if you have more than 100 users the price will be in tenths of dollars, which for my company may be an issue. This caused us to look for alternatives like using bare Git in automations used by a wide range of users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the purchasing software is not an issue for your company and you use Jira or Bamboo, Bitbucket is the way to go.

Version control for our code, having a better control on the source code by enforcing code reviews; Continuous delivery, continuous integration.

Bitbucket review by Bablu J.
Bablu J.

"Bitbucket, love it!"

What do you like best?

The best thing is , its very developer friendly with 5 private repositories free. This makes it ideal for your poc products or even pilot launches needing 4-5 developers working on the code.

Also, some of the cool new works like aws codeDeploy (a continuous development tool ) is again, simple to use and 'free' which makes it even fun to use as a developer. Jira integration (being an Atlassian product) is pretty vast. The front end is cool. All in all a great git solution.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, not much to write here.

One enhancement that could come in handy is web hosting pages how and like Github does. Also, integration with other software (outside Atlassian) would be nice to have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a highly useful product for day-to-day project management.

Very useful for developers wanting to kick start their dream projects, very useful for teams collaborating on a big project. Loads of integration. All in all, a great product.

Private repositories for POC projects with 4-5 developers working in each team.

CI/ CD

Code management

Bitbucket review by Patrick W.
Patrick W.

"Excellent platform for git-based version control"

What do you like best?

Amazing tools for managing code review and branch management. In addition, although this is more company-based than product, the Atlassian dev blog is a fantastic resource for learning about proper git flow and project management. In addition, Bitbucket has unlimited private repos, which are necessary as my team works on closed-source code.

What do you dislike?

Minor gripes I have:

- new UI; I prefer horizontal menu bars, but this is really just personal preference.

- All commits made on the web client itself do not follow the git best practice of using present imperative tense + mood.

- Going to a new repository always takes you to the source code first rather than an overview, which doesn't have the URI for cloning. An extra, unnecessary step that can be easily avoided.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you consider the necessity of private repos. That would be my foremost concern when weighing options between different git hosting platforms.

Bitbucket provides a central remote repository to host code versioned using git. In addition, Bitbucket provides a suite of tools for code review and management via branches and Pull Requests.

Bitbucket review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"A Near-Perfect, Free, Private, Repository Solution"

What do you like best?

Free and unlimited amount of private repository hosting for small development teams of up to 5 people/developers per repository.

It seamlessly integrates into other Atlassian tools and services with little hassle, enabling a fluid experience across all their platforms and services. This allows development teams to easily track issues, reference those issues in commits, and deploy based on those references in a centralized and familiar environment.

It includes many of the features you would find in many other repository hosting providers such as wiki's, issue/bug tracking, etc. with the added bonus of being the only one that provides free private repos on this sort of scale.

Easy repository management, nice code view, fair & balanced licensing terms, and cloud-based deployment possibilities.

What do you dislike?

I would say there are two main things that stand out to me when it comes to where Bitbucket falls a bit short compared to it's competition...

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it's user experience. Some aspects of it are perfect. Like in terms of general aesthetics, the design elements are wonderful. But when it comes to presentation and organization of information, it's a bit convoluted. Much more than is should or needs to be.

My second main issue is the complexity behind setting up auto-deployments for web-based projects. It's much more complicated than it should be. Coming from Beanstalk as my main service for private repositories, where setting up auto-deployments was soooo simple, switching over to Bitbucket had me a bit frustrated. Not because it was a necessarily a big struggle to set it up, but because it simply didn't make any sense why it would have these layers complexities when competitors who fail in every other way can do this one thing so much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need personal, private repositories for you projects or are working with a small team (5 or less) and also don't mind getting your hands dirty setting up auto-deployments if you need them, then there really isn't any reason you shouldn't use Bitbucket.

Being that we work exclusively in small development teams or solo, this provides the perfect solution for all our code repository needs and any personal projects that aren't open source. Almost everything that I'm developing which isn't open source, goes into the Bitbucket. Adding the fact that we use other Atlassian products, the development cycle is faster when integrating those products with Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Derek J. A.
Derek J. A.

"Best private Git hosting for individual developers or small teams!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can have unlimited private repositories and not have to pay to host them. I also enjoy the ability to set key pairs per repository which is really nice for managing deployments and hooks with other services. It's also nice how I can separate my work stuff from my personal stuff without too much of a hassle.

What do you dislike?

I think the thing I dislike most is that is an Atlassian product, which has kind of a sour taste in a lot of other developers mouth. I honestly don't have any bad experiences with Atlassian products but just mentioning their name or names of some of their products to my colleagues will turn them off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's painless private git hosting for a small team. That's all their is to it.

I'm hosting my source code for my private projects that are either:

a) not ready for launch / ideas I don't want to be leaked

b) a product for work in which our standard git hosting would not work for due to use of a non-standard port

c) pet projects for work and at home, any time I need a repository for anything I usually just spin one up in Bitbucket

Bitbucket review by Raheem A.
Raheem A.

"It is a very good tool for distributed version control system"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that i can create private repositories for free and it also supports mercurial

What do you dislike?

Most of the tools are not coupled together, I have to authorize my account before I can use the jira board for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is a good solution, they add new features often, the only con is that most solutions are not coupled together, you need to visit different domains to access different features. for example, if you are using the jira board, you will have to login to atlassian, if you want to use the code collaboration feature, you will login to bitbucket.

I use it for code collaboration, mostly private repositories. I also use it for continuous integration and since it has jira board, I use it for agile methodology.

Bitbucket review by Patrick L.
Patrick L.

"Excellent code repository with great dev tool chain"

What do you like best?

Being part of the Atlassian product family, Bitbucket has access to and works seamlessly well with their other developer focused tools, such as JIRA, and Bamboo. This means, an organization or team can sign up with the Atlassian stack and have an end to end tool chain, and developer experience, without having to look else where, and do patch work to make different parts of their workflow work together.

For example, you can use JIRA for issue tracking, check in codes into Bitbucket with references to JIRA issues, so you can easily see what commits are related to which issue, and then build/deploy with Bamboo, with your build/deploy plans referencing Bitbucket commits, JIRA issues and releases. And for bonus point, you can federate all your user identities with their Crowd offering. This complete tool chain and end to end experience is what gives Bitbucket the edge over other competing products.

Of course, Bitbucket itself is a solid product, with support for both Cloud and on-prem deployment options. Again, this is where the rest of the Atlassian stack comes in, as those applications also support Cloud and on-prem (with exception to Bamboo, which is being replaced by Bitbucket pipeline).

Bitbucket also has very friendly licensing terms for "casual developers" that are just looking for affordable code repository services, as you can use Bitbucket for free, and have private repos, something competing offerings do not have.

What do you dislike?

As a code repository, there really isn't a lot of downsides to use Bitbucket, especially if you are already using Atlassian products for your development. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:

* there are some differences between the Cloud and on-prem offerings, especially when it comes to 3rd party add-ons, so do your homework when choosing which route to take.

* GitHub is still the #1 place for hosting public (open source) projects, and many developers tend to be more familiar with it and its tool chain, so if you want to start an open source project, you may need to take that into consideration.

* It's tool chain with JIRA (issues), Confluence (wiki), etc, is more advanced and powerful, but also more involved, unlike its main competitor GitHub, which is more simplistic but also easier to use.

So it really comes down to your use case, e.g. if it is for personal or enterprise, what you already have as part of your tool chain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

* check if there are any 3rd party add-ons you will depend on.

* if you are or will be using other Atlassian tools.

Mainly using it as a Git code repository for all of our projects, integrated with Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, and Bamboo to have an end to end automated develop/build/release/deploy process.

Bitbucket review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"Great Git repository with loads of features for free!"

What do you like best?

That it's free. You can have unlimited private repositories for free which is great for a sole trader with loads of old projects that only get touched once or twice a year.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I've found at the moment. Integration isn't as good as GitHub but... it's free!

For most of my work I use Springloops as a Git repo but they closed their free tier so I need to migrate all my projects (about 30) elsewhere. With BitBucket it was easy, they are still private and it's free.

I use Adobe Phone Gap build for Android apps and Bit Bucket integrates with it so I can push to Bit Bucket and hit build on Phone gap

Bitbucket review by Tushar B.
Tushar B.

"Good tool for collaborative development"

What do you like best?

Personal repositories are free. That is the best thing about this product since I wanted some personal code and I could find this out of the box. UI is also pretty good. It has integration with JIRA which is also very good.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much - it is a pretty good software and is building new features rapidly. One thing is that although it is a free private repository, it can limit number of users contributing to one repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a pretty good tool to use and can fit most of the use cases for your requirements. It has now integrations with other Atlassian products such as JIRA which is pretty awesome.

Private repositories and personal accounts.

Bitbucket review by David C.
David C.

"Stable, affordable, and integrates well with other Atlassian products"

What do you like best?

- For enterprise / companies, there are convenient integrations for Atlassian's other products such as Jira, Confluence, or Trello.

- Bitbucket offers private repository on free plan.

What do you dislike?

- Lack of third-party integrations compared to Github, although the number of integrations are growing.

- A few years ago, Bitbucket limits the maximum size of repository to be under 2 GB if I remember correctly. This limitation forced us to trim down our repository size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your repo size is well within the "normal" size. Most of the hosted git services do have certain limitations, but make sure to check with the Bitbucket team on their hard limits.

It's also a big plus if you already use Atlassian's other products. I think, integrating them with Bitbucket really brings out the benefit of Bitbucket.

Bitbucket is used as repository for our source code. The greatest benefit, I think, its helps speed up the process in project management area. For example, issues created in JIRA can be linked easily to a branch in Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Tony G.
Tony G.

"Bitbucket"

What do you like best?

Bit bucket allows us to maintain version control on all of our repos. It integrates pretty well with all of our services ( CI tools, slack, build systems, et cetra)

What do you dislike?

The UI is not the most intuitive. Most people use the free version of Github which is a very different UI and the pull request system is a bit different.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your teams take the time to become familiar with the UI. It works very similarly to github but some of the actions are in unfamiliar locations. So if you are switching from something else it may take a bit of time to ramp up.

We are using it to do version control on everything we build. We do also use it for version control on documentation.

Bitbucket review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to use source control"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is easy to use with git, has a great dashboard to show you activity in your repositories and is more friendly to private repositories than other competitor offerings.

What do you dislike?

As it is not as ubiquitous as certain competitor offerings, it can be more time consuming to find resources for specific problems. Realistically, this isn't a big issue as the documentation still exists. I would also say that some of the plugins for IDE's don't feel as polished, but I think these are partially community contributions so not something to fault Bitbucket for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Obviously the major player in this space is going to be Github. The key advantage that Bitbucket provides out the gate is private repos on a non-premium account. Once I actually got into their ecosystem, though, I liked it and it felt like their dashboard was a little more polished.

Small project source control for teams that are not devoted to development activities generally and we do not want to license for TFS.

Bitbucket review by Shafqat D.
Shafqat D.

"Underrated Top-Tier Online Repo System"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket stands out to me in that it offers private repositories for free.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really a sense of community on Bitbucket (can't search for other repositories).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have private repositories for free, definitely pick Bitbucket. Other well-known alternatives like GitHub usually offer private repositories on a paid plan.

The primarily business problem solved with Bitbucket is that of having remote code repositories. In this regards, Bitbucket is like some other systems, such as GitHub. However, BitBucket has unlimited private repositories (which is why I know I'll be using BitBucket a lot more in the future) for free, unlike GitHub and other systems which often offer a limited number of private repositories on paid plans. It's already shown itself as a good thing through class assignments, which often require that online repositories must be private.

Now, there are other benefits than just the code repositories. BitBucket has integrations with JIRA and HipChat; I've used these integrations in one form or another over the years. This is the positive side of having all these programs maintained by Atlassian. Of course, there's support for integrations with other tools too, including Docker Hub and npm. Integrations to this extent are why I think BitBucket feels like a platform meant for professional and elite developers. Now, I haven't used the paid options yet (they are relatively new in the application's history) but they do look rather affordable for what they offer.

Bitbucket review by Balwant S.
Balwant S.

"Great tool for both beginners and experts to work with team and track code and control versions."

What do you like best?

Its good tool for all below:

1. Good version control with latest technology.

2. Best tool for team work and track code of members/users.

3. Providing free space of 1 GB so good for beginners to get hands-on and experience.

4. Good for could backup and restore if something wrong happens.

5. It can be integrated with tools like Jira and others which help us for smooth development.

What do you dislike?

Everything is good so far with bit-bucket, Navigation in UI is a bit hard sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a good tool surely i would like to recommend it if you are looking for a hosted version control tool for your development or code development by a team.

We have our code repository on bitbucket which we are using as backup of our code.

We can control and track changes / versions of our code repository.

We have hosted bit-bucket repository so can work from anywhere.

Bitbucket review by Jorge G.
Jorge G.

"Bitbucket Review"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket has a clean and complete interface with easy access to its many features and integrations. It allows the user to quickly glance at what's being done in a project and who's doing what. It also integrates well with various third-party services, which makes it a very powerful code versioning platform.

Having free private repositories is definitely a plus.

What do you dislike?

It lacks the sense of community that Github has. It's as good as Github, but less focused on open-source products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need private repositories, Bitbucket is the place to go.

As a small developer i can use Bitbucket to version systems that i develop for my clients, in a private repository.

Bitbucket review by Amir K.
Amir K.

"Best Source Code Management"

What do you like best?

The Payment plan is quite interesting for small teams. till 5 Developers you can enjoy all the features for free which is kind of amazing.

and the new pipeline feature is fantastic. we are using it to build deploy and run our integration tests and it has helped us a lot to achieve that goal.

and I just recommend it to everyone.

What do you dislike?

the number of free usage of pipeline minutes is too little and would be great if we could get more free minutes on the pipeline usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

having it on-premise can be challenging and time-consuming.

we are using it for all of our projects.

it makes our Code Review much simpler and helped us to build a pipeline with our own Docker Image that made the whole Development process a smoother process.

Bitbucket review by Rob G.
Rob G.

"Even a non-programmer can use it"

What do you like best?

As a non-programmer, I like how intuitive it is to create a pull request. I often make non-technical edits for our website and using Bitbucket allows me to interface with our development team in a way that is meaningful to them.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if there was some kind of tutorial for those with little to no programming experience. Even though I know how to make a pull request, sometimes I make "merge conflict" mistakes. This requires our development team to take time and fix it. If I knew how to fix it myself I would, but I have not found any simple tutorials to help me do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket makes team collaboration and peer review of code a snap! Even for someone like me with little to no programming experience, it is easy to use.

Our office was trying to find a common "holding" area that we could all submit changes to and have team collaboration on. Also, version control was a big concern for us. Bitbucket allows us to do each of these items with relative ease. To my knowledge, none of our development team has expressed any concerns with using this product. And that is an unusual thing for us. :-)

Bitbucket review by Noah H.
Noah H.

"Perfect for Small Lean Teams"

What do you like best?

For small startups or individuals trying to start out in the tech world, the free private repositories and plethora of services make this a great tool. As one scales larger it can follow along and their paid offerings will be able to easily meet one's needs. It's built in issues tracker is very powerful as well, and has fully replaced our use of alternative systems. Most importantly though it has high availability and works perfectly with our preexisting Git setup. This makes it truly stellar and was very inexpensive to switch to and integrate with.

What do you dislike?

For all its benefits, Bitbucket lags behind GitHub and its 3rd party ecosystem and community definitely reflects this. A few people on my team have also preferred the interface of GitHub to Bitbucket's, but have not had too much trouble integrating with and using BitBucket regardless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is definitely worth taking a look at, and I strongly encourage creating an account and taking it for a test drive to gauge its fit. This is a solid option for any enterprise or small business needs.

Cost effective team collaboration and deploy flows are a godsend for any tech company, and BitBucket perfectly fills this need. Working with several fairly early stage startups, this tool has enabled us to achieve a professional level of productivity and use without an enterprise budget.

Bitbucket review by Jason P.
Jason P.

"Bitbucket is an Excellent Source Control, Team Development cloud platform"

What do you like best?

We have been using BitBucket for several years and we love that we can manage our source code on the cloud and develop as a team effectively. BitBucket supports Git and we feel that Git is the best Source Code control platform available today. As a Cloud platform, the cost is reasonable and clear. The user interface is clean and understandable. The integrations work well with PM tools and messaging like Slack.

The user permissions and management is nice as well. If you allow each user to Fork and create their own repository, you can lock down who has the ability to commit to the main repository while giving them all the access they need to effectively develop. The keeps the main repository clean and enforces code review.

I love the audit trail, the ability to compare commits and older file versions to other file version to track down specific changes. Last year, they added the ability to group related repositories into "Projects" which is very useful to quickly identify related repositories.

What do you dislike?

Recently BitBucket redesigned their web site. Some of the key functionality is a little more hidden that it was before. Honestly, there isn't too much to dislike. There are some issues with very large file support that have been slow to be resolved, but we haven't experienced this issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For teams of 5 or less BitBucket is free for private repositories. Take a small team or project and try it with them and see if it is what you need.

BitBucket is a key component in our CI/CD infrastructure. It is easy to connect to build and deploy tools and services. Our development process is so much cleaner, more maintainable, and more predictable. BitBucket allows developers, designers, and PMs better exposure to the state of the code base and progress as tasks are completed towards releases.

Bitbucket review by Jonathon P.
Jonathon P.

"Great service for Private Repos"

What do you like best?

I like that if you just use a personal account you can create private repo's. This was something that GitHub lacked requiring you to have some sort of plan. I like that it integrates with Atlassians other products nicely.

What do you dislike?

It's a little too basic after using a service like GitHub. It adds features, but still lacks functionality that you can get with other services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check to make sure it has what you require. They are always implementing new features and updating the UI. Feels like a lightweight GitHub.

We used this to host a ton of our old sites that would build with Bamboo. It was very useful and ties in to Atlassian products greatly.

Bitbucket review by User in Computer Software

"Awesome for personal repositories and a way to collaborate development."

What do you like best?

Free account that allows up to 5 users to collaborate on a private repository. Diff and change logs are easy to read and use. Tracking of history good and syncing or rolling back can be done easily.

What do you dislike?

Not too much. Everything is pretty good. Can be somewhat slow at times but that is understandable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a shot. I think it is better than github due to the fact that you can have a free private repository that doesn't have to be public. Great if you are wanting to start workin on a product that you eventually want to license or sell and not use open-source. All of the tools are there. Not too sure on the prices of the paid plans, but the 5 free users for a repository is a great feature and definitely the main reason our team went with them. Plus, after Atlassian buying out Trello, which is what our team used for project management, cards from Trello can be easily linked to branches from Bitbucket. That way, you can tie certain features or bugs to a certain branch and track when that branch has been merged with your master branch. This has really helped us with determining where a particular feature is in the development lifecycle. A+ overall.

Can collaborate and review code with team, share notes, and do so using a simple workflow.

Bitbucket review by Dmitry P.
Dmitry P.

"Friendly UI for efficient code reviews, onprem version available, but UX needs to mature"

What do you like best?

* Nice side-by-side diffs

* Great integration with JIRA: pull requests get linked to JIRA issues, and you can automatically transition the issue status when a branch is created or a pull request is merged

* Good keyboard shortcuts

* Good add-on ecosystem: add linters and other quality control tools to your pull requests, view new types of files, automate enforcement of rules around reviewers and approvals

* They recently implemented code search

* Built in repository navigator - quickly look up a file if you don't have the code checked out locally

* Built-in blame view

What do you dislike?

* Difficult integration with any build system other than their own Bamboo (we use Jenkins)

* Hard to find a pull request that you recently approved - it disappears from your inbox drawer, and the "Pull requests" page takes forever to load

* No out-of-the-box github-style insights into the contrbitutions to the code (but there are paid add-ons that give you this)

* No way to search a pull request by name

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you already use Atlassian software, you should definitely use Bitbucket.

if you need an on-prem solution (not cloud), you most likely want to use Bitbucket, unless the budget is very tight.

Excited to see continuous improvement to the product, love the recent changes like inline file editing from the browser and iterative reviews. Hope to see Bitbucket be faster and have more little things that make a great usability like Github.

We are a startup, we have hundreds of commits and dozens of pull requests created daily. We use JIRA and Confluence for collaboration, so Bitbucket fits well into our existing Atlassian stack. We use Bitbucket for code reviews, but it also helps automate our deploy processes and conveniently shows the status of all the builds on each branch. Bitbucket offers a much better UX than free software like GitLab, and is cheaper than the Server version of Github. In addition, it has a pretty good add-on ecosystem that power up the experience.

Bitbucket review by Julio Cesar N.
Julio Cesar N.

"A great place to store your code and it's versions"

What do you like best?

A find very useful the fact that BitBucket provides unlimited private repositories, five team members, issues tracking and organization of repositories in projects all for free. It also integrates with other Atlassian's software as Jira, what allows to make a complete control and tracking of user stories, bug, tasks and other types of issues.

What do you dislike?

Although BitBucket is a great tool, it would very nice if you it social functionalities had more attention. Besides that a found very difficult to say something a dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BitBucket is great tool for storing and versioning code. Me and my team have found it very useful by the fact that BitBucket provides unlimited private repositories, five team members, issues tracking and organization of repositories in projects all for free. It also integrates with other Atlassian's software as Jira. I definitely recommend it and if you use another tool you should at least give it a try.

We have been using BitBucket in ours projects and it has been a helpful tool for a startup environment, allowing us to use free access as a small team with top functionalities available like private repositories e Jira integration.

Bitbucket review by Alexey K.
Alexey K.

"A great service with a lot of nice integrations"

What do you like best?

It is extremely useful as a repository for enterprise solutions. I do like the integration with Atlassian Jira and Confluence. A recent redesign improved the UI and UX significantly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes bitbucket has a misleading interface even after the design update. Bitbucket has a little bit strange policy for free private repositories, they restrict a number of invites per account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is extremely helpful if you use it in couple with Jira, Confluence and probably other services. You can use it for private repositories if you have some small personal projects, but I would prefer Gitlab as they have no limits for them.

We store our code base there. Bitbucket is a reliable service which is always available.

Bitbucket review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the integration with other Atlassian products and support for both SSH and https the most. It’s easy to use bitbucket with other tools and platforms which is important to our team. We can set up automatic creation of Jira tickets also.

What do you dislike?

So far for our use case I have not come across any issues or concerns and bitbucket is meeting our needs. I would say the GUI for viewing code is not as robust as GitHub for business. I like GitHub more which I used at a previous company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into both Bitbucket and GitHub.

We are using bitbucket to push our git source code associated with TFS to an external location. The benefits are that we are able to easily back up our code repository and also use bitbucket with other tools like Jira.

Bitbucket review by Austin T.
Austin T.

"Free and Private Code Storage"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is completely free for its basic plan, which contains enough features and functionality to serve most teams. Additionally, the repositories are private which a lot of other cloud version control systems don't offer. Atlassian is constantly improving the software with user interface improvements. It integrates seamlessly with SourceTree (desktop Git client). The cloud-hosted web application makes it easy to get started with version control systems - no previous experience required nor does it need any complicated setup on a server. It support connections over HTTPS as well as SSL. I like the ability to edit code directly through the Bitbucket web application if I have something minor to correct.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat difficult to put an existing project into a repository on Bitbucket. You have to clone a new repository into an empty directory first, then move your project into that directory. The SourceTree app that goes along with this can be slow at times and crashes occasionally. However Atlassian releases regular updates to BitBucket and SourceTree.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have nothing to lose by trying this out. It is free to use and has just about every feature you would need in a version control system.

Working on team projects with others in my organization. Easy to share code with clients for review or modifications. Paired with the desktop Git client SourceTree it is very easy to use, especially for people new to working in a team environment with version control systems.

Bitbucket review by Samuel B.
Samuel B.

"Solid Team Focused Git Interface with Great Atlassian Integration"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket has really come a long way as a source code hosting tool and now has many, if not all, of the features and integrations that a team could need to be successful with modern source control and Git-focused workflows. I like the ability to easily configure how pull-request workflows should be set up with default reviewers and number of reviewers required. Jenkins integration with commit hooks is also a big plus for many shops. I also like the clean integration with the rest of the Atlassian suite like JIRA and Confluence which can make transparency across issues, source code and documentation a much easier thing to handle for teams.

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket (on-premise) can still be challenge to host yourself. I much prefer the hosted version if that is an option for you because it keeps the burden of backups, etc off of your team. I was also really glad to see that they added a search function to the tool to search across projects and repositories but it could still use some enhancements and an API endpoint to make it more usable. Currently search is implemented with infinite scrolling which makes it almost impossible to get a sense of how big the scope of what you're search for might be. Search is a critical function for many organizations and could use more work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say that Bitbucket has most, if not all, of the features you would need to create development workflows around source code management. I would definitely recommend the hosted product over the on-premise product if it is an option for you so that you don't have to manage the product yourself. Atlassian does an excellent job of hosting the repository so they are a great go-to. If you already have the rest of the Atlassian stack like JIRA and Confluence then I think this product is a no-brainer.

I have used BitBucket for source code management and integration into work tracking systems and continuous integration servers. Source code management is a critical aspect in creating a simple and solid developer workflow that is secure and helps the team move faster. Bitbucket's integration with Jenkins, JIRA and other tooling has really made it easy to create simple and effective workflows for my development teams while enabling transparency for work in progress.

Bitbucket review by Sean P.
Sean P.

"Great Code Management and Tool Integration"

What do you like best?

BitBucket provides unlimited private repositories to the individual, as well as reasonable pricing for companies to store their private repositories. The web interface is well done and easily directs you to the appropriate pull request, branch view, team management, and other features within the tool.

The new Pipelines feature is very nice in that with a little configuration you can have your own automated unit testing scenario setup for PHP, as well as other languages. We use this for proper code control on our pull requests / code reviews.

Since BitBucket is a full fledged git server, you can create SSH keys and work from the command prompt with no additional tools needed. This can allow you to do your own "git deployments" from your destination servers as needed.

What do you dislike?

There are times where BitBucket servers are unstable. At times this has caused work blocking since we have been unable to push code, but overall it has caused slowness when pushing/pulling code to and from the repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research into the new Pipelines feature in order to really take advantage of the continuous integration potential available.

We use BitBucket as our primary code repository for all of our clients, as well as our internal projects. We leverage the pull request feature as a means of doing code reviews. We also use pipelines on a limited basis for unit testing, and potential deployments in the future. We leverage the group security built into the product to allow customers access to their code base only, or to allow a subset of developers into a code base in special situations.

Bitbucket review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"A scalable and fair platform"

What do you like best?

All Bitbucket features are fantastic, speed, stability, delivery guarantee and user-friendly interface. There is nothing that can be pointed out as demerit, mainly because the platform receives constant updates. In the last 10 months I've migrated to other Git versioning services, but after an experience on those beaches I used Bitbucket again to do some testing - what was the surprise of seeing that the platform is better and many of the things I missed are there now.

The best? The price remains fair and scalable according to the size of your team or company.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that needs improvement, but not a serious problem, is the mapping of projects through issues, simulate to other platforms. However, it has an integration with Jira and Trello that already solves this problem - just adapt your worflow and "voi a lá", solved the "problem".

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very well designed software that receives constant updates. It is not a "hype" of the community but it responds well in all aspects: it is stable, fast, allows scaling and also integrates with other software in a magnificent way. It leaves nothing to be desired compared to Github or GitLab, I tell to friends choose it without a doubt.

Five years ago I needed to use a cloud service to store my repositories. Bitbucket was ideal for the malleable features of my projects and became my only repository for the teams I worked for. For a growing company, it was a smart way out, because it allowed me to scale between teams without major problems.

Bitbucket review by Fedor P.
Fedor P.

"Great free service to use for teams!"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is hands-down the best service that allows the use of teams/groups for projects and repositories on their free plan. The service is professional, UI is easy-to-use and intuitive, and affordable.

What do you dislike?

Because most of the small things that you can add to a project, like Slack notifications, issue tracking, and other add-ons are added and customized manually, they get tedious and difficult to use as the number of projects/repositories increases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great service for startups that are looking for a service where their large team can collaborate on a project or repository as an organization/company, and can access the same extremely useful tools free-of-charge that other services provide for a hefty price.

Bitbucket was the only service my team could use to collaborate on a large project. Services like GitHub required payment to setup an organization, which would allow to collaborate on a project.

Bitbucket review by Akash J.
Akash J.

"Best option for small teams with private repos. "

What do you like best?

Compared to github, bitbucket is way cheaper. Free tier includes private repos with upto 5 team members. This difference continue for higher plans as well. This does NOT come with a compromise on quality of service or reliability. In my experience Bitbucket has better availability compared to services like GItlab ( Which tends to be unavailable at times )

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket lacks the social element that github provides. Profile visibility is minimal. Community interactions are minimal. Not good for open-sourse/public projects

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choosing a code-hosting service depends on one's requirements. From my experience if you're dealing with private repositories, bitbucket is the best.

Gitlab is another options with unlimited private repos and unlimited team members, but I find the availability of service on the unreliable side.

I am working on an e-commerce platform with a small team. Ours is a commercial product and obviously not a public project. Given the low budget, We save money by using bitbucket instead of github, yet enjoys almost similar feature set.

Bitbucket review by Wesley D.
Wesley D.

"Cheap way to get started with GIt"

What do you like best?

That it is free and you can use it for as many projects as you like. The repositories you can share with other users to collaborate on projects. The are recently improving many of their functions and options such as creating new pipelines to release code to a pipeline to the server for example

What do you dislike?

Every once in a while it has an outage and you can not access your code remotely. Although I have to say recently it has not really happened Technically you can work locally but nobody can checkout somebody else his or her update which might be needed to continue

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting with GIT Bitbucket is a very useful tool to experiment especially when you have code that is not supposed to be public. Since you are allowed to have private repositories and as many as you want. If you are looking to build an online portfolio and publically collaborate on public software you probably want to look into GitHub which is more the kind of tool to build a portfolio.

Having all of my code locally in one service, no more data loss of a problem with your computer and always have access to your code on any PC. But also collaborating with co-workers or freelancers on code and everybody kind of has their own environment (branch or fork) and in the end we can (merge / merge pull request) it together. So we always have a working version and everybody works on their own branch

Bitbucket review by Adam .
Adam .

"Great github alternative for commercial projects"

What do you like best?

Free account for small teams/startups with almost all benefits of standard version. You can start small and expand as you grow. Very attractive pricing plan and intuitive UI. Build in wiki and issue tracker, excellent user management and you can log in using your google account. You can chose between on premises (Bitbucket Server) and cloud version.

What do you dislike?

I actually can't find important to dislike about this product. It's just what i was looking for. Like with all version control software conflicts resolution could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for commercial projects of any scale. It's could grow with your business.

Version control, issue tracking and knowledge base for big commercial project in huge company and small startup ideas shared between friends.

Bitbucket review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"Great GIT Product"

What do you like best?

My company uses many Atlassian tools and I love that they hook into each other. You can create a branch from JIRA directly and have it fill in the branch name. I also like the fact that it hooks into Jenkins so easily and can run pull request builds. I like that pull request merges can be restricted to only merge into master if the pull request built successfully.

What do you dislike?

I found the branch permissions don't always work. I also really wish the user could add custom branching models which you are restricted to default values.

Forcing successful builds before merges means more stable master branch. We also force developers to use branches instead of working directly from master. There is a lot more control.

Bitbucket review by Don T.
Don T.

"BitBucket is our go-to hosted Repository"

What do you like best?

BitBucket is super flexbile and informative regarding its intake and presentation of the code involved in a repository. Often I have found BitBucket's interface to be the best path for researching various meta data about code commits, developer comments, and other tidbits of information that I needed at a particular time. Everything about BitBucket works swimmingly well.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything about BitBucket to dislike! I often do use it in coordination with SourceTree and other Atlassian products, and I have really liked each product I have used recently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't recommend BitBucket highly enough! It meets and exceeds all the requirements our teams have had for such a hosted repository software.

BitBuckets works well for a hosted repository that has to be private (i.e. not in the public view, since we are working on private, commerical code) and shared among a dev team. We have used it for several projects and it has really delivered. It makes our workflow smooth.

Bitbucket review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Some good PR(public relations) for Bitbucket's PR(pull requests)"

What do you like best?

Our dev team has me trained to use the interface to control what goes features go into production with the click of a button. I am quite a happy PM.

What do you dislike?

It gets slow sometimes... which can be painful if your dev/ops flow depends on the PR loading and the "Merge" button loading it's review modal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

get it.

We trigger docker builds and deployments from the webooks in Bitbucket flowing through jenkins. this is pretty awesome. Can't take credit - our devs are geniuses. basically covers our dev/ops deployment pipeline.

Bitbucket review by Shahbaz T.
Shahbaz T.

"A powerful, professional hosted Git solution for small and large teams alike"

What do you like best?

Unlimited free private repositories. This really helps for young startups and private users get going and eventually, as needs progress, start using more of the premium features at a very reasonable price.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike really apart from one UX issue that bothers me. I am unable to view the code from a certain point in history. It is possible through an unofficial way - there is no proper way embedded in the UI/UX. Apart from this, it is all spot on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, it might be a little different from other services (Github) but the free stuff more than makes up for the slight differences.

Bitbucket allows me, as a professional developer, to version control and store all my code in repositories hosted online that I can work on from anywhere in the world. I am still a "free" user and this is totally because Bitbucket offers so much to free users.

Bitbucket review by Deepak K.
Deepak K.

"Best in category"

What do you like best?

i have used the on premise version of it and i loved the webapp of this tool.

the dedicated webapp which is available on port 7990 is very user friendly. a beginner can easily learn and use it using it's customized instruction guide. the installation is also very easy. one can find help on any issue on atlassian forum. we can easily integrate it with Bamboo with lesser configuration steps. it is the best product of Atlassian's DevOps tools suite.

What do you dislike?

the express installation of it is very easier but if we want to configure it with our own mySQL instance, it requires a lot of effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give a try to it and create a free account on bitbucket.org. you will love it.

we are using bitbucket as our code repository and using it with Bambbo.

we have created a CI pipeline using BitBucket, Bamboo and Artifactory.

Bitbucket review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Better code review experience than GitHub"

What do you like best?

BitBucket offers a similar service to GitHub with a different price structure and similar integration options.

The area where BitBucket really stands out compared to its biggest competitor is code reviews. Where GitHub offers only a flat list of changed files, BitBucket gives us the ability to review both the file structure and the changes in the files themselves.

The review portion is split into a left-hand file tree that can be used to navigate the Pull Request, and a right-hand diff view showing differences in the files selected.

This results in a far superior experience when reviewing PR's with the team.

Pricing structure can be more suitable for some teams, and if you're an Atlassian user then the integrations with their products is perfect.

There is a large and growing number 3rd pary integrations.

What do you dislike?

As BitBucket has less community uptake compared to GitHub, one will be forced to use both.

The interface for searching one's own repositories is cumbersome and unintuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a first class PR reviewing experience and/or GitHub's pricing doesn't suit, choose BitBucket.

Management of public and private codebases.

Bitbucket review by Yasser R.
Yasser R.

"best git SaaS"

What do you like best?

- clean and simple UI

- focused features. the platform don't have lots of features so it is easy to get started and work with it.

- ecosystem for integrations and plugins that helps me to compensate the missed features

What do you dislike?

Even if there is a support for plugins and integrations, I don't see lots of them. And it's mostly hard to get my integrations works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitbucket is a great source control hosting. Just watch your team size to not pay so much

I use bitbucket as my default version control for all projects I'm working on.

Bitbucket review by Rick M.
Rick M.

"One of the best options for private cloud GIT repos"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket is the way to go for private hosting of git repos. For most scenarios, It's more affordable than Github. The features tend to be more focused on project work other open source development and it meets the needs of our client projects in every way.

Additional features like Pipelines make it even more indispensible.

What do you dislike?

They do seem to have disruptions to parts of the service once every month or two. Occasionally access is slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! You won't be disappointed. Dig through all the menus and options, there is lots there. They also provide lots of great articles on using GIT on their blogs and such.

Moving all our git repos to Bitbucket was the next logical step for code management after leaving SVN behind. Bitbucket has met all our needs.

Bitbucket review by User in Financial Services

"Another bad Atlassian product"

What do you like best?

I've used it in the past (I believe before github allowed some number of private repos for free) and it was only to submit a private repository for code review. I have used mercurial versioning with BB before, but I've come to terms with git at this point..

What do you dislike?

The UI is overly busy (like every other Atlassian product). I had to sign up for a "new Atlassian account" upon signing into bitbucket after some time... After doing this, it directs me to bitbucket and a tutorial on how to use the interface, but you can't exit without going through it. The main views are filled with useless information by default, etc etc.

I have only used it to send private code bases in school or for interviews. There are no business problems bitbucket solves that github doesn't already do 100x better. Since I don't use mercurial, darcs or svn and primarily use git, there is no story for bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Steven R.
Steven R.

"The obvious alternative to GitHub"

What do you like best?

Unlimited free private repositories with code reviews up to 5 developers. This is an attractive plan to target small freelance developers that don't want the expense for each project they are working on.

What do you dislike?

Unable to tag a release like bitbucket. While you can tag a commit and see the tag in the commit history you cannot view all tags in the repository. It would be very useful if the pull requests could have labels much like GitHub. This would make it far easier for code reviewing and determining if the code should be merged back into the main development branch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy to use code repository hosted solution with enterprise grade security then BitBucket is the way to go. With numerous addons you can be sure to find the features you require for a easier workflow. With excellent Jira integration for tracking you code against tickets, BitBucket truly is the perfect VCS.

Free private code repositories, hassle free setup, enterprise grade security, multiple third party integrations and notifications. Being able to collaborate with multiple users external to our organisation has been a huge help in our daily workflows. Previous setup with GitLab made the process a little less secure.

Bitbucket review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"Very functional and easy to get using"

What do you like best?

BitBucket has a ton of features I really like. In particular, in the interface to view all projects/repos, it has very useful grouping and filtering features, making it easy to track down a repo in a long list of repos. The interface is clean and very clear, and fits well on just about any screen. The interface for the project view is clean and well designed. It's obvious where you need to go. I also like how it follows GitHub's convention when it comes to the README.md file.

General application admin is easy to do, and the admin panels are very clean and clear. Organizing users and projects is easy. Overall setup to get your users up and running is very simple and quick to do.

What do you dislike?

The Recent Activity feed is not as intuitive as GitHub's, and can't be configured. However, this is a minor concern. It does provide updates on projects that you've committed to or that you own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I quite like this product. It's very easy to get setup and running for your organization. I do recommend using per-user SSH keys as it's the most portable and convenient for git usage, and BitBucket makes it easy to manage user SSH keys.

We've removed the need to manage our own source control system in-house. Moving everything to BitBucket saves us time on VCS management, and guarantees better up-time.

Bitbucket review by Gabriel P.
Gabriel P.

"The perfect private GIT repository"

What do you like best?

If you use Atlassian products like Jira and Confluence or do you a have programming team its the best private repository you can have, The price is amazing compared with other similar solutions,

Also the perfect GIT connection It's jus great.

Also I love all the info and tutorials they send us. Apart the service is the good practices we have learned with them.

What do you dislike?

It don't have the well know name for a public repository like GitHub has. Apart it I don't change it.

In that way we had all our repos in Bitbucket, public and privates, but now we have moved public repos to Github to get more visibility. But no way to move our private repos to another service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want Private GIT Repositoriesjust BitBucket.

If you want Public ones choose GitHub.

I searched the best price and features for a GIT private repository for my companies code' solutions.

Bitbucket review by Zeke H.
Zeke H.

"For personal and professional use, Bitbucket is great"

What do you like best?

History view, branching diagrams, comments on commits (on top of the normal git comment).

Integration with Jira.

Source view is also good for looking at the codebase.

Pull request tool is nice as well.

What do you dislike?

Searching is not intuitive sometimes. And sometimes I doubt it has searched how I expected it to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for both professional and personal use. I use it for both.

It's where we host our codebase and we handle code reviews through it. It's very quick to push and pull from Bitbucket and it rarely ever seems down.

Bitbucket review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"It's not Pretty, but it Works Really Well"

What do you like best?

The value of Bitbucket can't be beat. Github might be pretty, but, being able to host private repositories for free is an amazing value to small teams. It's extremely developer-friendly in that regard.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX, while being improved, isn't at the level of Github (or Gitlab for that matter). When dealing with it day-to-day, this generally doesn't matter. It's all the same from the commandline. However, when needing to log in and track down commits, or browse the repository at a certain period in time, this can be really frustrating.

Version control is absolutely essential for developers. Tracking users issues is also a must.

With Bitbucket, our small team has a free way to track, version, and deploy code, as well as handle user issues, bugs, etc. We're better able to ensure that quality code is being written, to address real user concerns.

Bitbucket review by Venkatesh W.
Venkatesh W.

"Intuitive version control system"

What do you like best?

1. It is free for a team of up to 5 members with unlimited private repositories

2. Easy integration with highly useful add-ons for example codedeploy, codeanywhere etc

3. When it comes to usage of it, it's highly flexible and can be used in several ways as per your needs. You can use it's web based client or on windows it has got wonderful integration with Source tree or if you want to go with command line based git actions, works well on ubuntu as well.

4. Very easy to use, even for some one who doesn't understand too much of command lined based stuff.

5. Easy interface/integration with other Atlassian applications like JIRA, Sorce tree etc

What do you dislike?

Bitbucket has not got anything that makes me dislike it

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're beginner and struggling to understand version control system and use/handle it then Bitbucket is must try client for you. It's simple, intuitive, free and has got very good UI that makes it unbeatable revision control system bundled with awesome features.

As we're start up, we don't have proper well settled IT team which can help us in revision control system. Engineers have to help themselves in this regard. That's where Bitbucket pitched in like a diamond.

Bitbucket review by Doug B.
Doug B.

"Probably the best private Git web frontend I've ever used -- certainly the most competitively priced"

What do you like best?

I really like the issue tracker integration with Jira. When you can tag an issue in your commit to determine the life cycle of a bug, it really helps to track down problems when you haven't put enough time into test cases. If you run into the same bug over and over again, you know it's time to outfit a test case for that to make that bug break the build. We don't always have the time to write test fixtures on small teams, but when it becomes a recurring problem, it does wind up saving time

What do you dislike?

I dislike when the upgrades don't go smoothly -- it makes me want to stay on the current version for longer than I probably should. When it's working, it is great, but when I have to take time away from development to make the upgrade work again -- it's like when any system that you're using goes down. It brings productivity to a halt. Fortunately, that has only happened once in the last 2 years and it's really the only bad thing I can think of.

Our use case is mostly version control -- we use Bitbucket as a prettier web interface to our git repositories and make heavy use of the integration with Jira. The pricing for small teams is hard to beat.

Bitbucket review by User

"good but needs heavy improvement"

What do you like best?

ease of integration with other atlassian tools. its easy to connect all bitbucket jira confluence and have the full suite with all you need

What do you dislike?

bitbucket is ok but the sourcetree that comes along is bad. you cant merge changes and the view of the branches is not adequate. most colleagues use git extensions instead of the sourcetree. personally i do the merges through intellij but i should have been able to do it through sourcetree

Recommendations to others considering the product

its good and can be easily integrated with intellij jira and confluence. it saves time but you might need git extensions too

its a source control based on git , its an alternative to svn (e.g. tortoise ) and team foundation (microsoft)

Bitbucket review by Trevor H.
Trevor H.

"Bitbucket.. or stash. It's ok, but not as good as github"

What do you like best?

It was integrated with other Atlassian products. Jira and Confluence, etc.

What do you dislike?

The diffing and code review was bad. The search was also bad. Interface didn't work when browser window was small. It was also slow, and crashed a lot for us. Maybe we configured it wrong, but it shouldn't be that hardto configure it in the first place. Doesn't it run on java, that could have been part of our problem. We also got a bunch of "ghost" merges. It would say there were conflicts but the diff wouldn't show anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It gets the job done, but you will probably have some hiccups. You need a person whose entire job is to manage it (most likely)

We needed version control, code review, and distributed storage of our repo. Bitbucket helped with all of this.

Bitbucket review by Guido G.
Guido G.

"Bitbucket, private repositories for free"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket has a great service, they offer private repositories for free, the posibilities to create teams, clone repositories, git or svn technologie and more. Just signin and you have al benefits. You can use your Gmail account to login and go ahead. There is no limitations on the service this time. I hostesd around 6 or 7 private projects without restrictions and have code backups, versioning, documentation and all its beneffits. Thats all.

What do you dislike?

Unique useless is the windows client, ok they have source tree, but is too difficult to use to create a repository with a folder on my computer. First need to create a project on web, later clone with windows client, then add the initial content and commit it. Otherwise it doesn´t upload local repository to cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use for free, multiple and private repositories. With 0 USD pay to use in your freelance or personal projects. No credit cards or personal financial documents.

I can work in teams in our small projects with 0 cost. We can work in different seccions of the project and syncronize with repository, not need to have local servers or svn/git implementations. There is no limitations to the service at this time. I hostesd around 6 or 7 private projects without use restrictions.

Bitbucket review by Jonathan W.
Jonathan W.

"Great but needs a little more updates"

What do you like best?

Free unlimited private projects and integration with other services like JIRA or other Atlassian products. Easy to use and friendly user interface.

What do you dislike?

It seems the platform doesn't get many updates as it should, I mean, you usually here many new features from the competition but not from BitBucket, and if they are releasing them maybe a little extra care on marketing or user communication is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I still consider Gitlab my first option, but the integration between the different Atlassian services is whats going to make the difference with BitBucket

Version control is always vital for coding projects to maintain a logical and trackable path of software evolution. When working with small teams the free account does de job very good.

Bitbucket review by Md Azmain A.
Md Azmain A.

"BitBucket is my to go version control"

What do you like best?

BitBucket uses Git meaning I can use all the GIT commands. Moreover, it has a nice interface that is very easy to use and intuitive. BitBucket + Sourcetree makes the whole thing a lot easier. Sourcetree is a must if you are not used to Git commands and it will make the whole process a lot smoother.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for a complete newbie is steep. The documentation could be a bit better, with description of what the commons terms i.e. push/pull, fetch etc mean.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely download Sourcetree. It makes everything a lot easier.

I use BitBucket for all my class projects when I work in a team. It helps me coordinate with my team easily and we can keep track of all of our changes.

Bitbucket review by Consultant

"Good Github alternative"

What do you like best?

The main advantage of this platform is the possibility to create an unlimited number of private repositories without any cost (up to 5 collaborators for each repository). In Github, the most used GIT platform you can only create public repositories in the free plan (although there's no limit of collaborators).

Moreover, it is intuitive, has a lot of additional services and supports both GIT and Mercurial. I also like the Trello boards integration.

What do you dislike?

The only meaningful limitation is the number of collaborators per repository, but I think that is fair. If you work with a bigger team you can buy one of the paid plans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best alternatives if you look for a free way to store small private projects.

I use this platform to store several work and personal projects, and I think it's a safe and useful platform. A good alternative to GitHub.

Bitbucket review by Brian F.
Brian F.

"Git management made easy for private repos!"

What do you like best?

Private repos for projects, a robust notification system and every feature you find on competing systems plus more. Bitbucket provides a complete version control, ticketing and wiki platform for your company projects.

What do you dislike?

The user interface has changed a few times in significant ways making navigation awkward until one gets the handle on the new interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The true power of Bitbucket becomes apparent when you use other Atlassian tools in conjunction.

Tracking code changes and deploying private projects while working with multiple developers.

Bitbucket review by Marc S.
Marc S.

"Best bang for your code repo buck"

What do you like best?

Price price price! Which is consistent with all of the Atlassian products.

Also, the integrations with the rest of their suite of tools is fantastic - JIRA, Bamboo, etc, in this case.

Every development team needs to use version control...we use git, but Bitbucket also supports Mercurial.

Unless you have some rigid security requirements, I recommend the Cloud solution so you don't have to worry about setting up and hosting yourself.

What do you dislike?

1 thing - not being able to search your source code.

This is actually a HUGE bummer, and has been a feature request for years with them.

They have only recently (March 2016) started to get this going, but i believe it's only for the self-hosted installations....THOUGH, on their forums, they have said it's "coming soon" for the Cloud solution.

Once this is up and running, i would not be able to say a single bad thing about Bitbucket.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend going "all-in" on the Atlassian tool suite. Having all of their tools just work together seamlessly has given us better realization into the big picture of our systems, with little work needed on our part.

Using the cloud version of Bitbucket has allowed us to not have to worry about hosting/maintaining additional servers in our infrastructure, which saves us a lot of time (and money, really).

Bitbucket review by User in Internet

"Powerful and affordable option for version control"

What do you like best?

- Very affordable version control hosting solution. Also has a free option for up to 5 users, with unlimited private repositories.

- Has great integration with JIRA.

- Easy to create and merge pull requests straight from BitBucket.

- Easy to create and see active branches.

What do you dislike?

- The UI can be a little confusing compared to GitHub's.

- The size of the community is considerably smaller than GitHub's.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BitBucket is a great tool for small and large businesses who are looking for an affordable solution to hosting private repositories.

We host most of our projects on Bitbucket. It's very easy to use and has many useful tools like pull requests, git blame, file history, etc.

Bitbucket review by PK S.
PK S.

"Tempting for JIRA and Confluence user, but otherwise there are alternatives"

What do you like best?

Bitbucket's pricing is easier for small companies. For less than 5 users you get unlimited free private and public report. Compare to github you really need to buy the smallest plan to have private repo. If you are a JIRA/Confluence user, you get very nice integration between the products. Bitbucket also have a private hosted version for larger enterprise that requires that level of control.

What do you dislike?

The web user interface of bitbucket is far behind github's interface. Everything is just a bit less useful and powerful. The site is slower, the UX more confusing. There is a strange branding / UX situation across bitbucket, JIRA and Confluence. They all look similar but their user interface is really not integrated without work. And since those products are really very different things, trying to make them look and work the same just makes bitbucket a lesser DVCS application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not already a Atlassian JIRA/Confluence user, look to github instead. If you are planning to bring DVCS in house, bitbucket is a good solution as you can start with the hosted service, and move it in house later.

I use bitbucket for some of my personal software version control system when github was still in it's earlier stages. There are also some open source repos that I use that is still on bitbucket. I have worked with companies that use bitbucket as their primary version control system, moving from assembla, which is a much worst system.

Bitbucket review by Davide T.
Davide T.

"A GIT hosting service with a lot of interesting features for free"

What do you like best?

It's free of use even for private repositories, that is quite good for individuals who don't have a big revenue or just want to learn Git and don't want to setup an own server. The Bitbucket dashboard provides you a lot of interesting tools to track issues and documentation of your project with the native wiki. You can also create small teams and projects to keep and catalogue your repositories.

What do you dislike?

2 GBytes limit for free licence are sometimes not enough for some projects where you want to keep a big amount of data, anyway this is acceptable for a free solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

to avoid the limit of 5 members per team you can create, when applicable, an account for your customer

Keep versioning of software on a secure, hosting free solution with an integrated tracking system.

Create documentation of project, organize small teams for maintainance of my projects.

Customer support and centralization of the documentation.

Bitbucket review by Jamie S.
Jamie S.

"Only what is necessary"

What do you like best?

I like how simple and easy to use it is. We have a hosted solution sitting on a VM that functions smoothly without needing any maintenance.

What do you dislike?

That perhaps it is a little too simple. This is in part because Atlassian has diversified their product suite into multiple solutions so if I wanted a project management system I would have to get Jira as well as opposed to just using something like TFS which has both.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a simple and easy to set up solution for versioning control without a plethora of additional extras then use this. I am also a big fan of their small teams pricing which goes straight to charity.

Code repository and version control. Although currently we use other solutions in addition to this one.

Bitbucket review by Arif K.
Arif K.

"Best Version Control System for private code repository"

What do you like best?

Things i like best -

1. Zero price for hosting private projects with a team of five or less than five.

2. It supports GIT which is the most popular VCS in the industry

3. It easily integrates with JIRA which is a project and issue tracking tool.

4. It provides its own desktop client.

5. Also provides issue tracker.

6. Collaboration with other team members is easy with integration of Hipchat with this platform.

What do you dislike?

Things that i dislike is that products like JIRA can be integrated but they should be made free for limited

number of users or limited time which would make this product very attractive for small teams and later on if they can charge for it after sometime.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are developer and working on close source application then you should try bitbucket., as it has all the features to maintain and manage the source code as well as track issues. If you are a freelancer then your customer can also test the application and log the issues which in the end will benefit the product and make the app users happy.

To maintain version control system and manage source code efficiently. By using this it benefits to have team members work from their own place and maintain the code at one single place with versioning system and also collabrate using Hipchat and track all the issues with the source code.

Bitbucket review by David C.
David C.

"Great git solution with useful integrations"

What do you like best?

Nice pricing for companies that have a lot of projects, Sourcetree app is nice (specially MacOS one). Integrations are really helpful

What do you dislike?

Some git features are difficult to use, Window's Sourcetree app is not as neat as MacOS one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sourcetree app is a great tool to start working on PC and Mac

We work for different client's projects and organize everything into Bitbucket. Integrations like Slack one help us to sync our team easily.

Bitbucket review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Git solution with multiple projects and teams!"

What do you like best?

Nice professional gui for git repositories with the ability to view other projects and teams responsible. The visualization of the git history (branching, commits, merges) are nice. Integration with the other Atlassian tools is a great way to integrate all parts of ones project development and uniformity across teams and the business.

What do you dislike?

Merging branches (especially if there are conflicts) is a bit clunky and navigation can be a bit tricky and buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a nice and useful git gui. the plugins for atlassian tools are immensely helpful for jira ticketing and confluence collaboration spaces. Another great way to integrate all parts of one's workflow. I have tried gitlab and git hub as well, but the visualizations and the seamlessness with the other tools used by the company are a good fit. It is even better since prior there was no standard and this has allowed for a more uniform and understandable workflow across all groups.

Maintaining easy history and version control across various projects as members come and go. Integrating projects together.

Bitbucket review by Sarneet C.
Sarneet C.

"Business oriented VCS with unlimited free private repos for all"

What do you like best?

BitBucket offers unlimited free private repos for all which is a big plus over GitHub. Also, the dashboard is easy to use. Repo ownership rights and access are a breeze to setup. When you don't have money BitBucket is the way to go. Awesome Integration with JIRA and also supports Mercurial as well along with Git.

What do you dislike?

Metrics and other stats present in Github are deeply missed. Integration with code collaboration tools like Slack is limited. Feedback Loops implementation is not upto the mark IMO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't wanna pay a premium for private repos, if you are a business user, then BitBucket is a VCS great for you.

I use BitBucket for my personal projects/hobby projects which i don't want to make open. I have multiple apps stored on Bitbucket.

Bitbucket review by Alejandro C.
Alejandro C.

"BitBucket is the perfect tool for teams using git"

What do you like best?

I like that you have a web app that can be used for code reviews, it helps to improve the quality of our code. I also like the way to manage permissions and set different groups.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a mobile app to manage pull requests and to create new repos on the way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really like to use BitBucket. It offers many

Code versioning and code quality.

Bitbucket review by Alberto B.
Alberto B.

"Nice place to save your projects privately"

What do you like best?

I like the layout in general, and I love the fact that you can save here your hobby projects

What do you dislike?

Well, It lacks of social aspect or at least it is very inuntuitive

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just Try it. It is a really good platform if you want to spend some time developing a project and you want to keep the code for yourself.

In my case I am a senior Rails developer, and when I want to start a small dev or I want to make a project to myself and keep the code hidden it is the best place to work.

I have to recognise, the interface is good but somehow I don't really like it. Probably because I am used to play around with Github.

But I guess teams and groups are greatly supported. The first thing you see in your repo is the README, which I really hate from github that i have to scroll down and then see it, but i am not very into the wiki functionality.

Also it directly recognises you the user by name@bitbucket when pushing or forking from other project which even though it only takes a bit of keyboarding it is nothing, but for me it is a pain in the ass.

In general I would recommend bit bucket for those who want to keep their code hidden. That's it.

Hobby projects, small developments. Fast login and you can get into work fast.

Bitbucket review by Tom P.
Tom P.

"Safe Code Storage"

What do you like best?

BitBucket makes it easy to store code, but also other files, safely. With Version Control, branch and repository permissions, access can be strictly regulated.

What do you dislike?

While some of the CI features are not as polished as with GitHub, BitBucket's issue tracker is much better (while not quite JIRA, it comes very close).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Git it a try, they have a great free plan for small organizations. GIT and Mercurial can be intimidating at first, but can be very powerful once you have learned the few commands you need to get started.

Code Storage, but also sharing, is essential and having a centralized place where all this information can be stored has become critical to our day to day operations.

Bitbucket review by Administrator in Biotechnology
Administrator in Biotechnology

"Usage of Bitbucket"

What do you like best?

It is the best UI for git and features like fork ,pull request , LDAP access , Group access control , plugin support for JENKINS and others. It is very easy to use this tool for source code management . It allows to create projects and repositories underneath. It is easy to provide group access and individual access to users for repositories and projects. User can fork their own repositories and work , any changes to their fork will be fetched automatically. It is easy to create branches for parallel development. It is effective in sending notification for every change through email configuration. It is easy to set reviewers for every pull request and all the changes can be viewed on user interface .Easy to install on AWS through cloud formation templates.User can have private and public repositories and can be given access to other users through Group permissions.

Bitbucket Mirror capabilities reduces the latency to clone the code for different data centers located in in different geo graphical locations. Through Bitbucket mirror user can push and pull the code without having latency issues.

Branches can be protected through branch permissions. User can be restricted to push changes to stable branches and can restrict to do code review before pushing the code to Bitbucket.

Bitbucket can be accessed via HTTPS or SSH.Easily integrated with CI tools like Jenkins

What do you dislike?

It is difficulty to navigate between the projects If user have access to multiple projects . Navigating to older is not there on UI.User has to select the Project page then navigate to respective projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommend for large scale application with different team

Bitbucket can be hosted on premise data center , it helps in securing the data

Easily integrated with Jenkins for Continuous Integration

Easily integrated with Ansible and Puppet for Configuration Management tool

RBAC is easy with Bitbucket

Multi site support through Mirroring

Bitbucket review by Fernando H.
Fernando H.

"Private Git repositories for free!"

What do you like best?

I think the main Bitbucket feature is to offer private Git repositories for free. You can store your non-open source software projects free of charge.

What do you dislike?

The way teams and project are organised, it's not clear what project belongs to each team. I am not sure if this is related to user experience design of administration website or the way teams and projects are structured.

Bitbucket offers all Git integration need to manage and store software projects.

Bitbucket review by Ben T.
Ben T.

"Bitbucket and Pipelines"

What do you like best?

Pipelines - integrated CI on every commit. They're adding features every month, and asking for feedback along the way. Other tools are out there, but the UI is simple, intuitive and gives us the feedback we need. Looking forward to new features...

What do you dislike?

Missing some key features, like test tracking, but hopefully those are coming soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it with Jira for the most impact...

Easy to manage our git repositories and get feedback on our code changes as they happen across the team. Integrates well with Jira...