Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

bitly

(164 reviews)

bitly is the easiest and most fun way to save, share and discover links from around the web. offers an enterprise analytics platform that helps companies grow their social media traffic.

Work for bitly?

Learning about bitly?

bitly Reviews

Showing 164 bitly reviews
bitly review by Alejandro M.
Alejandro M.

"Great experience even better than what Google URL Shortner used to offer"

What do you like best?

It has a lot more features than Google URL Shortner used to have, I love the fact that you don't need to hay a payed account to modify (partially) your Shortened links. Of course you have to pay if you want a specific domain to be shortned, but with the free tools you can do a lot, and also you can measure all the links. So for me is wonderful.

What do you dislike?

Indeed there is not much I could say I dislike, because it has lots of great features, only the price y a little bit high in order to get the other tools to build and track campaigns by channel, product, audience, the paid dashboard, etc.

Another thing I dislike is the NO possibility to create campaigns without the payed subscription, that is a feature that could be a good hook if they give it for free to the users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a really good alternative for those who used to use Google URL Shortner, and even for those beginners.

Measuring the click for specific links of course, but in a more understandable, organized and better looking way.

It also helps with the charts exporting or just taking a screenshot.

Something else it helped a lot is the referrers, they are so exact.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about bitly
bitly review by Amanda H.
Amanda H.

"Makes social media posts and analytics easier"

What do you like best?

I like that you do not even necessarily need to create a log in to use this service, and it can instantly shorten any url to make my social media posts cleaner/

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about using bitly. It has been a great service that I will continue to use and recommend on a regular basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE IT! So easy and I prefer to Owly based on just how easy it is to shrink links.

Bitly helps my social media posts look much more streamlined and not have to waste space or characters on twitter with a infinite link. It makes all posts look incredibly professional and keeps the focus on the content of what I am posting, which are usual simple glossary terms of the day.

What Content Analytics solution do you use?

bitly review by Jim N.
Jim N.

"Simple Branded Shortlinks!"

What do you like best?

Bitly makes it simple to brand shortlinks with a custom domain. We frequently share informative posts from the Tripawds pet amputation support community to help three legged pets and their people. Permalinks from our blog and discussion forums are long so registered the domain tri.pet and easily implemented it with Bitly to create custom shortlinks to our content to reinforce the Tripawds branding.

What do you dislike?

Bitly is free! That's great. But the website offers no clear feature comparison for Premium accounts, only a sales contact form. While a Premium account apparently offers "unlimited branded shortlinks", it is unclear whether it is possible to add multiple branded short domains to one account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Bitly for free! Set-up is simple.

We are maintainig our brand identity when sharing content via social media.

bitly review by Jessica G.
Jessica G.

"Great for a free resource"

What do you like best?

Bit.ly is great because it allows for simple link shortening in a very quick and intuitive way. MY company does a great deal of print communication, and our long website links simply don't work. This is also great for use in our text blasts, and ultimately makes our audience more responsive to some of our communications.

What do you dislike?

I know that there are more elegant solutions out there as far as obtaining more trackable and branded links. Bit.ly doesn't not provide this in any quick or convenient manner, and rather serves it purpose as a basic link shortener. Contacting their customer service team to inquire about rates for an enterprise account has proven to be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely go ahead and give bit.ly a shot if you are considering something to help in campaign monitoring, especially if you have yet to implement in this area. It's a great starting point.

My team has realized the benefits of using shortened links for print and social media in seeing an increase of clickthroughs. We generally work with an audience that is not comprised of digital natives, so the less there is to type in the browser bar from a flyer or print piece, the better. We can keep a birds eye views on clicks without sifting through our webpage or social analytics, which proofs to be beneficial in short-term campaign adjustments.

bitly review by Angelo O.
Angelo O.

"Good service, not the best, but is the one we use"

What do you like best?

Bitly is a good service to make short link for your business. You can connect a custom domain for you short links, you can customize the name of the link and use tags inside the platform to organize your work. Also Bitly provide you a basic analytic dashboard about the performance of your links that only last 30 days if you're using the free version.

What do you dislike?

To connect your custom domain to Bitly you have to play around with DNS, and it's not so simple. ALso there is no way to purchase a custom domain directly in it. Their prices are to high (starting from 500 USD for a month). Unfortunely the free version allows you to see the stats about the links just for 30 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I higly reccomend you to use the free version, the best among the others.

With Bitly we can short our links for free, keeping them organized thanks to tags. We use to send out inoffice messages with custom links related to projects and clients, for this purpose we find Bitly really useful. We also use it sometimes for our social medias.

bitly review by Giovanna R.
Giovanna R.

"Good platform to have control over the links"

What do you like best?

Bitly is a good platform that allows you to have control over the performance and lenght of a link. I like the fact that I can see the performance with place and source of the "click" on the link. Also the customization of the shorten link is something that you can use at your advantage.

What do you dislike?

The customization of the shorten link base can appear too much difficult for who is not so expert.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software can also helps you in social media marketing, scanning the performance of your post and publications. Test it.

I use Bitly to short links to use in the banners, ADs, and website that I create. This allow me to have under control every single link, understanding which one performs better that the other and how to improve positioning and message of the ad. I really love Bitly. It have no learning curve, and can keep all you data about performances really organized.

bitly review by Miky P.
Miky P.

"Quick way to send out long link"

What do you like best?

I like the basic feature of Bitly: the short links. Just this it's great for me, but sometimes I use it for my social shares so I also like the stats avaible for every link. I also like the fact that I can use Bitly on my smartphone or on my pc, everything will be ever in sync.

What do you dislike?

At the moment I can't find nothing that I do not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it please, it's one of the best and fun tool I ever used.

I use Bitly to share and store long links of articles and pages related to the projects that we are follow. When planning the shooting of a video is always a good idea to looking for storyes and inspiration on the internet. So I use Bitly to save and label intrasting link and it's also a great way to share the same links with members of my team.

Sometimes I use Bitly also for my social profiles, to see how a link performs. Great for this!

bitly review by Jamie M.
Jamie M.

"A great URL tracking & shortening tool"

What do you like best?

It's a great free tool for tracking your URLs and shortening them - perfect for social media updates. If you want to dig into the results and see some demographics around who's clicking on your links and how many times etc. then this is the tool for you.

What do you dislike?

The free version is somewhat limited and the paid version (Enterprise) is far too expensive for 99.9% of the companies out there. There needs to be a middle-ground product for companies that need premium features but don't have a huge budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the limitations of the free version before jumping into the tool as the lack of premium features can be frustrating, but it's far too expensive for most (I believe it's around $1,000 per month).

It enables us to track our URL clicks and understand what from which locations users are clicking. It also is a great way of shortening our URLs and integrating straight into Buffer.

bitly review by Fernando D.
Fernando D.

"Bitly is the perfect tool to track your customer actions"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use, plus it gives you the chance to make links optimize to your taste for free. Another good thing is that creating a link only takes a few seconds once you get used to the system

What do you dislike?

sometimes it takes time to start tracking, nothing too bad, but sometimes a few minutes.

the website could be a little more friendly. I haven't seen it available as a Google Chrome extension.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are able to put bit.ly into your business routines you'll have a great ally on your site.

Whenever I send a presentation or dashboard to one of my customers I am able to track if they opened the file, which is very good for follow up.

Another key benefit is the fact that your whole history for the links clicked stays on their site as long as you want

bitly review by Jose Tomas T.
Jose Tomas T.

"My experience in Bitly"

What do you like best?

For me, the best and most popular link shortener on the planet, because in addition to its basic services can be integrated with all social networks like twitter and facebook and shorten all the links we publish, showing us an analysis of how many and where they come from Clicks. It maintains a platform to measure the impact of our publications on different social networks.

What do you dislike?

It should reward its users a bit more, as well as other shorteners, since, because they are popular, they can give incentives to their most loyal users.

One of the disadvantages of this and all the shorteners is that they can be used for malicious purposes to infect with viruses towards pages that are not what the user thinks is intended.

Despite its popularity, many people do not trust links shortened for fear that it leads to malicious pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I guarantee you will not regret using it.

Using shortened links for publications makes the information more digestible and therefore will generate more interactions in your publications and improve the position of your brand.

bitly review by Caroline J.
Caroline J.

"User-friendly custom URL tracking for all companies, from small business to enterprise level"

What do you like best?

I like that bit.ly makes it easy for novices and experts alike to custom track their web traffic. The platform has great enterprise level capabilities making it a worthy tool in a professionals toolkit. It's easy to access and view reporting metrics it's easy to create many URLs in bulk if necessary for a campaign.

What do you dislike?

Once a custom URL is created, it cannot be updated. Only new URLs can be created. If the custom URL is already in use, it can be frustrating, especially if it's connected to out of date content. I wish there was a way to purge old bit.ly links, or request the custom URL be transferred to another user. I realize that some of the limitations are in order to prevent abuse of content, but it does not offer too many workarounds if a URL needs to be updated with a correct address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool for those just beginning to measure the ROI of their social media content. Also great for seasoned professionals and those who work with enterprise companies. Fits the bill from small business to large.

I've been able to track how well social media content performs compared to newsletter and other marketing content. Able to refer measurable traffic from non-digital sources like print. People often ask how to prove the ROI of social media, and it's a very strong indicator of purchase intent and conversation rate.

bitly review by Sabrina M.
Sabrina M.

"Perfect to shorten long url and keep an eye on the performance of your posted urls"

What do you like best?

Bitly is perfect to shorten long urls and keep an eye on the performance of your posted urls. It's easy to use, you can make short urls in seconds, simply pasting the original url in a box. If you share the link on a social media the preview will be from the original link. The insight feature helps you to understand how your olinks perform.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if the platform give us the opportunity to shorten many times the same links, so if you use the same source for different platform you can track down the performance per projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Bitly (even the free version of it) if you want to implement your work and social media strategy.

I always use Bitly in my social media platform activity. It helps me a lot tracking down performances and peek the ROI on my strategies. It's also useful in my blog and emails since it allows me to keep everything focused and short.

bitly review by Edgar R.
Edgar R.

"Best app to shorten your urls"

What do you like best?

bitly simply is the best website that you can find on the market to make a short url .

I really like that you can use bitly even without the need to sign up for an account. This feature gives access to millions of people that use bitly even without know the real power behind the service when you have an account.

I had little experience with an active account.

I use to work with bitly just to shortened the urls....but since I signup for an account, i saw that bitly offers great ways to have a closer look at what is happening with the urls that you are sending....don't hesitate and open your account prior to start using the app....you will lose a lot of information that you can gather and analyze.

What do you dislike?

You can be using bitly, like me, for years, event without knowing that you can get an account and have a lot more benefits and metrics than just get your urls shortened...this is very bad.

Prior to this review, I had used bitly for like 3 years even without noticing that there was a way to get an account....I just get my account ready and start seeing the benefits...I am starting to migrate my shortened urls to my bitly account

Recommendations to others considering the product

SIGN UP for your account immediately even though you can use the service like me for more than 3 years.

I think that the value added of getting the account is enormous, don't hesitate and open the account and take advantage of all these free benefits.

We are using bitly to shorten mkt urls to information from our franchises and to avoid posting long urls that make emails less appealing to customers when they read them.

bitly review by Alessandro P.
Alessandro P.

"The best URL shortener"

What do you like best?

I use Bitly a lot every day. It have a good integration with software and devices. It allows you to create custom bit.ly/ URLs with your links, but they have to be new and never used. You can connect a custom domain thanks to DNS features and the platform offers you a great insight on the links performance, with the number of clicks, country of clicks and performance in time. The dashboard is simple and easy to use, allowing you to shorten a link in a second and tagging it following your needs.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if Bitly provide an interface with folders or another way to divide links, since I use it a lot would be great to organize them per projects. Would be easy to take control of them. Also deleting a link can appear a little messy. Simplyfing this would make a better experience for the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my experience I can only highly reccomend you to use Bitly. You will find an easy way to measure your posts performance and the facility to share links in your social media.

I use Bitly in my everyday life. To shorten URLs for Twitter, or to track my post performance on Facebook (since that you can delete the link in post and you only have the preview, so nothing strange to the eye of the viewer.). I also love that I can shorten links in a second thanks to the iPhone integration. This helps me a lot in managing my social networks from my smartphone.

bitly review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use & great metrics!"

What do you like best?

I love how easy this product is to use, even with the business account, all you need to do paste your link and click shorten and you're good to go! The platform also offers great UX. They leave the guessing out with intuitive easy to use buttons and empty text boxes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this doesn't integrate with our google analytics. To accurately track all metrics I have to first create a UTM code then shorten the link. It would be helpful to integrate UTM code creation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

bitly metrics are great for a company who is looking to focus in on what links are attracting the highest traffic volumes from social posts. It's also great for those looking to include shortened links in copy. To get the most out of it, I recommend using all of the metrics features. This is great if you aren't already using something like google analytics to track traffic from links.

We're using bitly to enhance all of our social media copy. Social media posts with links significantly increase follower engagement and create a flow of traffic to your content or website. With limited character space, bitly helps us to provide additional context and value in all of our posts.

bitly review by Emily D.
Emily D.

"Bitly makes it so much easier to access webpages"

What do you like best?

I love that I don't have to copy and paste a URL to give coworkers, customers or friends the link to a web page. It makes it so much easier, and it allows me to come up with cute url's to go with my webpages.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything I dislike, bitly gets the job done. Its simple and incredibly useful. It does exactly what it promises and more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

definitely use this if you need to share pages frequently, or if you have your own site that does not have an easy to memorize URL. it will make it so much easier for you to share your page with others by simply saying bit.ly/whatever you decide to make it.

This has helped me see how exactly how much traffic different sites are getting. It has been incredibly helpful to see whether or not it is worth maintaining web pages or if I should simply take them down.

bitly review by Bryan N.
Bryan N.

"I use bit.ly every day and it's so easy"

What do you like best?

I like how easy bit.ly is to use. I use bit.ly every day to shorten links to support pages. Bit.ly has an easy to use search function that allows me to look for previously created bit.ly links so I can use them to respond to a different product review.

What do you dislike?

When trying to research total clicks for links that I've created the data that is presented only represents about 30 days and not the lifetime of my account. This may be because I am using a free account but I can search for the dates but the data remains the same.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bit.ly is the easiest and most reliable link shortening tool to use. I've been using bit.ly for my entire career and I know that it is the trusted link shortening tool of companies worldwide.

My help links look so much cleaner by using bit.ly to shorten them. I like the way that bit.ly uses custom shorteners for corporate accounts so that my links show up with my company's abbreviation and not with bit.ly before each of my links.

bitly review by Martin F.
Martin F.

"Tracking click rates gives you a better understanding of what your audience likes."

What do you like best?

I like the fact that bit.ly has options for free and paid service. It is simple tool to use and it gives you some information about where your links are being clicked in the actual physical world and where you have placed them on the web. I like that I can open it up any day and see what content I have shared and still see the clicks on those links. It is also great as a url shortener for platforms like Twitter.

What do you dislike?

The subscription price is a bit pricy for a small business so you don't have access to the exact times and locations of people clicking on the links but how else would the company make money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are utilizing bitly and collecting your own data via APIs I would take a look at DataSift as it works very well with Bit.ly and can help you make more sense of your data.

learning what content resonates best with our audience. Also realizing what content we share in emails is saved by the end user to come back to.

bitly review by Devyn D.
Devyn D.

"Bit.ly is useful for high level analytics"

What do you like best?

I like how user friendly this program is. It's very intuitive and straight forward. It is extremely easy to shorten the links and the way the data is presented is easy to digest. You can also customize the links which makes it look more professional.

What do you dislike?

I wish that when page descriptions were updated, bit.ly would update live. I've had times where I've made a typo in my page description and when I fix it, it is not reflected in the bit.ly link.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for deep analytics, this is not for you. This helps with shortening links for social media purposes and high-level analytics on where link clicks came from. If your website setup uses long links, this is helpful for posting especially in your Instagram bio.

We use it primarily to shorten links for social media. It also helps us understand which platform is best for different types of blogs we produce.

bitly review by Amy P.
Amy P.

"Excellent features and easy to use"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that I can personalize the shortened URL. It makes it more appealing to click. In general, I love the bit.ly url and analytic tracking features. If you want to try various headlines and custom urls, you can attempt A/B testing and see what works.

What do you dislike?

I like the service very much, and I can't think of anything that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think bit.ly is very easy to use and I recommend it to all of my colleagues.

After class, I have to post feedback for my students in China, and I wanted to include a link to supporting materials. Usually, long links can get garbled in translation software and students were not able to access the information I wanted to share. Bit.ly was my first thought and it has solved all of my problems.

bitly review by Katie O.
Katie O.

"Short, Sweet and Simple"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly bitly is. It's straight to the point as soon as you log in.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing that I dislike about the site. Maybe the link that it creates could be more related to the article or link you're converting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely sign up to create an account, especially if you are looking to learn more about your social analytics. At first, I just used this website without creating a log in, and now I wish that I had created one a long time ago! It tracks how many clicks you get from each created bitly link which is really helpful.

I use it for our company's Twitter account. Long links are ugly and take up too much space, so bitly helps me include links as well as a caption in my Tweets.

bitly review by luis g.
luis g.

"Excellent way to shorten my links and get information."

What do you like best?

It facilitates the process of transforming my web address very long into another much shorter than the original, giving it a more attractive aesthetic image and occupying fewer characters, with this I can even modify the link to make a call for action, or reference to the article or website

What do you dislike?

many times the shortened link stops working, you have to be on hold every day until the shortened link stops working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

you have to be on hold every day until the shortened link stops working

I can shorten my links, it helps me to look better aesthetically, and it helps me get more information from thousands of visitors.

bitly review by Lia B.
Lia B.

"The best link tracking site I've used in the beginning of my blogging"

What do you like best?

What I liked best is that it tracked the clicks on the links leading from my post. It helped with keeping track of many different things. I still use it from time to time. I only use it to track outgoing links from my social sites or sharing from Hootsuite. By using the site, it's a great thing that you can choose the end of the short link that you create. That is one of the things I really like! It helps to keep track of the links for my clients. They need to be informed about the traffic going to their sites. That is the whole purpose of using bitly. It's unique on how you know how many people actually click on your links. I know a few that go to blogs but NEVER click on a link. By using this program / site, it's so much easier and than not knowing. This improves the quality of your site. Your site will rank higher when you're getting clicks and the outgoing of traffic, or incoming of traffic (if shared on a social site with the bitly link that has been created). The link, when shared to a social site helps to track traffic that comes into your site. You then know what kind of traffic you're really getting.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that they changed the entire site and it has options where you have to pay for what use to be free. I do not like that you can not share from it as you can on the other. Then again, it never did. I know that it would be a huge plus on their part. If you could share from the site, that would make it so much better to use. Right now, I'm having to use 2 different sites. One of the sites that I use does both. But I do not like that bit.ly is one for not getting the benefits that I need. Even if I did, they started charging for a lot of things that use to be free. I would really like to use the things on the site that I use to. Unfortunately, I can't and it's something that I could see a lot of people using. I really can't think of anything else that I truly dislike about Bitly. Bitly has one issue that I can pin point the highest. Not being able to access some of the things that I use to and now have to pay for, which I do not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've actually recommended several when bitly first launched. By recommending them, I think I done a good thing. Each of those people still use bitly too.

Using them as tracking links for my blog. It is something that I use when it's a sponsored post so that I can keep track of it for my client. They eventually need to know how the tacking is going on the clicks on outgoing to their sites. There really isn't anything else that I can use the site for. The best part is that I enjoy about the site is that you can actually choose the ending of the link. It helps with knowing what traffic is coming from social sites, social shares or clicks on the links within the blog or social share. By doing that, it makes it to where you then have a better idea of how your site traffic is doing.

bitly review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"Bitly Links Save Me! "

What do you like best?

Bitly links make it incredibly easy for me to customize my content length that I share on various social media platforms. I am able to insert my customized link onto any platform and then monitor the traffic from that space. There have been times where the Twitter 140 character count has left me in a bind, especially when using a longer link. From Bitly links, I can shorten these and use the room I have for hashtags and mention @ members.

What do you dislike?

For the desktop version of the Bitly links service (yes, there is an iOS app!), there isn't a way to organize or sort through the links that have been used in order of time. I can search using the toolbar at the top, but it'd be more efficient to have this option as a drop-down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to get more out of the content that you share, (meaning character counts), then use Bitly links to shorten content links and track the progress.

I'm able to track where clicks to my content are coming from by Location, System, and Social Media Sharing Platform. I can also use a calendar view to see which days the traffic drives highest and lowest. This has helped me adjust my own posting schedule. I can also reuse these Bitly links, as they stay static throughout their use.

bitly review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Solid and Reliable Tool"

What do you like best?

The link customization option helps provide consistency, a professional look and helps support brand awareness. The tool is also extremely easy to use and has a clean and simple user interface.. The tracking ability and insights you are able to gain are extremely valuable.

What do you dislike?

I didn't find anything to dislike about Bitly. I found it to be an elegant, easy to use and reliable tool that does exactly what I needed it to do to create custom links that were easily to track.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, reliable, and gets the job done

We are able to maintain brand awareness and consistency with shortened links because of the ability to customize the shortened link. This helps maintain a professional feel and allows us to associate our efforts with campaigns and track the data.

bitly review by Matthew T.
Matthew T.

"Great URL shortener that works for 100% of our campaigns"

What do you like best?

It is extremely simple to create a short link using Bitly. It's analytics are simple to digest and require very little analytics skills to assess the impact of a link to a website or campaign.

What do you dislike?

Bitly does not allow me to create two unique links for 1 source. For example, I have 1 landing page but want to track the click from sources separately. The workaround is to use UTM, but it'd be nice if there was a more simple solution.

We use Bitly for all social and web presence to measure how well our links our working. Especially nice for on page URLs that direct away from our website (for example, Quiz or Typeform), so we can measure how they are clicked.

bitly review by Emily Rose P.
Emily Rose P.

"Bitly is best for link shortening"

What do you like best?

Bitly was my first link-shortener-love, and I’m sad I’ve been forced to stray. The Chrome extension makes it easy not only to shorten any link, but to have it copied to the clipboard automatically, and to have it stored in your account for tracking later. The analytics are robust, and it’s easy to see which links are doing well to evaluate different channels or partners.

What do you dislike?

Amy only issue has been that it took me a while to understand the whole “this link” vs “other links” demarcation, but once I got the hang of it, I understood. They could probably make that more clear from the start—and honestly, maybe they do now. I have to use another (lame) shortened now b/c my job bought into their suite, so no more bitly for me 😔

Google Analytics can track only your own digital properties, so if you’re posting a link to, say, facebook or twitter, and you want to know whether people are ACTUALLY following the link, bitly is a great way to do that.

bitly review by User

"Essential for print media monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and simple dashboards for a quick birds-eye view of link clicks. There are really 2 steps for creating a bitlink, I couldn't ask for anything more simple. It's good for base-level monitoring, we use different bitlinks for our print media, social, etc. and track the traffic this way. Since my organization relies heavily on print media, this is essential for including web links in flyers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of more in-depth breakdown for user tracking. Lumping direct clicks in with email and SMS seems far too broad and clunky. The cost involved for having customized bitlinks is currently unattainable for my non-profit, though we are interested in making the purchase. I wish there was a way to organize sets of links into subcategories or campaigns, as the list gets long for us and needs to be cleaned out regularly instead of holding on to that data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of customizing the tail end of your links! This is indedespensible as a free tool.

We solve the problem of tracking conversions initiated by print media by using bit.ly, as this so far seems to be the simplest way for us. We communicate largely with a low technology use group and rely heavily on print communications. This is simply a quick and pretty solution to see how much online follow-up we get, and for what. We are seeing the benefits of having user-friendly links overall, resulting in more interactivity.

bitly review by Jesse T.
Jesse T.

"Bitly: A Review"

What do you like best?

I like the advanced analytics it offers. It's nice to see which social media platform is producing the most amount of clicks. It's also beneficial to see click activity overtime if you're in a timed campaign. It's been nice to customize URLs too.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface is a bit wonky when using Chrome as your browser. It would also be helpful to see a detailed breakdown by location instead of by country.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As always, look at a variety of products or services offered for what you are interested in. Check and compare prices and features.

Bitly helps us determine which platforms generate the most clicks. It also gives us an indication of what events or campaigns are generating the most interest via clicks in general.

bitly review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"A good tool for creatives to create links for their work and social media."

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily create links branded to my needs and can track clicks. I use this for social media (link to my work with extension matching location source) and for new and current client emails.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything yet really. I've tried viewing online and I don't like the experience as much vs when I am on my laptop. I believe there is an app, but just haven't checked it out yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a try and make your life so much easier.

I am able to branded links for my social media and when I use them for client emails and documents. Nothing better than seeing the stats of who clicked and where. No long crazy links on my social media posts either.

bitly review by User in Computer Software

"Bitly does what it's supposed to"

What do you like best?

It's very quick to make short, custom URLs (no need to wait for link-checking). You get your URL on the spot.

What do you dislike?

Many common URLs are already taken, and I'm not sure if they have a system for getting rid of old ones. There must be a lot of old bitly links that aren't used anymore, yet they are still using up URLs in the system. Also, I wish there was more choice for the first part of the URL other than bitly, since some people aren't familiar with bitly and don't know to put a period in between the bit and ly (bit.ly), so they end up going to the wrong web address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It seems to be the best/fastest way to generate semi-custom, quick URLs. Since it's so widely-used, it can sometimes appear a bit unprofessional, however, I don't know of a better alternative when you want something quick (it's formal nature is fine on social media, anyhow).

It's great when you need a quick URL and don't want to go through your IT department to get one created. Especially for one-time use URLs and promotional URLs.

bitly review by Administrator in Computer Games
Administrator in Computer Games

"Bitly Links - Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Bitly makes it easy to shorten links but the best part if you can customize the link to tailor to your needs. It has a simple interface that shows all your bitly links, your customization, the total clicks and where those clicks are coming from. It's easy to edit the link.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is much to dislike. It's simple to use. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to bitly amazon links to keep the amz beginning of the link. It always switches back to bit.ly.

Making our long links look user friendly and hiding our promo codes. When I was at my previous employeer, it made the links look neat and not as overwhelming or "spammy". It also helps with staying within the character limitations or within the space before copy is cut off on social platforms. I use bitly for work but also use it for personal things as well.

bitly review by Alejandro A.
Alejandro A.

"Great tool, Fantastic insights"

What do you like best?

There are many things that I really love of this tool, however, the most important ones are: shortening log URLs that you can customize (love this!) and access statistical information such as the number of clicks your link has recorded. This information you can gauge the performance over time. A bar graph view shows the amount of incoming traffic that is going to your link on any given day.

What do you dislike?

I wish some of the enterprise features also are available in the free version. Such us Branding, a deep break down of my audience and dedicated support in case we need help with something in particular. Also, Analytics are deleted after 30 days, you cannot delete a link once it’s created and you cannot change the destination URL after a short link is created. Short links are pretty well know nowadays, however, there could be some cases that users won't click the short URL because they don't see the brand name there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitly is great if you want to make links more manageable + track and compile click data.

Shorten URLs and also quick stats and metrics from each link we share. Very good for understanding what it's going on after we share a post on each social media platform and how each audience reacts to that.

bitly review by Jenn Z.
Jenn Z.

"Easy to use!"

What do you like best?

bit.ly makes is so easy to make short URLs. I've used it for campaign tracking and just to straight up shorten an absurdly long URL (I'm looking at you, Facebook permalinks!). It even integrates directly into some other applications, which makes it even easier to use!

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations to bit.ly, of course, but honestly, I haven't really had any problems with it that I can recall.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using your own short domains makes bit.ly that much better! I'm still working on implementing this myself, but it improves the branding and professionalism of your short links by leaps and bounds.

bit.ly enables me to make 'pretty' URLs, rather than having to share the ungainly URLs that are generated for campaign tracking and which are sometimes provided by sites like Facebook. I also use it with my SmarterQueue account to make it easier to tell where my site's traffic is coming from!

bitly review by Amanda K.
Amanda K.

"A good tool but not for everyone..."

What do you like best?

Super easy to use with the added benefits of analytics.

What do you dislike?

People not initiated into the technology don't recognize the type of link and may not trust the source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bitly is a nice tool if you don't have other CRM or email marketing tools (ie the use of click-though tracking) but can also be used outside of a CRM if you want to use social media, outlook or other traditional marketing platforms and keep track of who is using the link.

This is really handy when sending a link to a client or imbedding a link in a document. Hidden analytics allow me to keep track of clicks when sending links through a regular email instead of using a CRM or other email marketing software (at and additional cost).

bitly review by Sara W.
Sara W.

"Great for Tracking Clicks"

What do you like best?

I like Bitly because it allows you to share links that aren't incredibly long and can be tracked to see how many clicks they got.

What do you dislike?

1. I'm not sure what more it is capable of. 2. The reporting could be more in-depth. 3. Some things that look like they should be clickable on the site aren't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for link condensing and tracking how many clicks the link received and where the link was clicked.

Since I typically share bitly links on Facebook, it doesn't benefit me too much. Facebook tells me how many clicks a post got. The only benefit I see is condensing the length of the link.

bitly review by Zeke B.
Zeke B.

"Bitly - A BIT of extra work - but not that bad!"

What do you like best?

I like that it automatically recognizes the previous user as well as links that have (for whatever reason or another) been bit-ly-ed previously. What is great is that many people are now familiar with this as a form of shortened URL in places like Twitter and Facebook and are comfortable clicking them without thinking theyʻ are being re-directed to some virus filled site! I also like that you have options with each link to make it look a certain way!

What do you dislike?

I do not like that there is not a marketing plan for this company - while this sounds kind of strange, it ALSO seems strange to me that it just is widely accepted - good or bad, that confused me even when I first started using them as a service - this has not changed. I also do not like the way the old set up was - it made it a little confusing to go to the main website and have an actual "account" up until recently - the new site is MUCH nicer and user friendly!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a super easy to use link shortener that most people are already familiar with! I do not actually know of others aside from pre-determined ones from Twitter/Google.

We manage many clients and have to have a good way of tracking our clients progress and marketing efforts. Without the links we would have to use an additional more complex analytics system - this way we are able to just see if we should follow up or if our efforts are working!

bitly review by Fernando E.
Fernando E.

"Good application to shorten URL."

What do you like best?

Although I have just used the app as a registered user, I have previously used it to shorten the post addresses made on social networks and websites.

What do you dislike?

As an Android user maybe the app in this OS needs to be more stable to avoid so many crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good way to shorten the length of web addresses, and through the registered version you have a high number of Bitlinks per month.

Through Bitly I can make shorter URLs of publications on Facebook and on the web to show information and photos of products to customers, many times via SMS.

bitly review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to customize your links"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to shorten your URLs and make them look a lot nicer relative to long URLs that you sometimes have to send to customers. It's also nice to know which links are most popular and performing well.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I dislike about bitly. It's great to use!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the search function to look up a URL before creating a bitly link so that you don't end up with duplicates.

It helps with branding and to ensure emails and blogposts/support articles to customers look professional. Its analytics also helps me to find out which URLs are performing the best so that I know what customers are most interested in. We can then use that information to create more of the same type of content or to try and increase more awareness of content that's lagging.

bitly review by Adriano C.
Adriano C.

"SHORT AND TRACK THAT LINK"

What do you like best?

Free accounts are fully functional, and this is one of the most important thing. It's been years since I started using Bitly to short and track my links, especially in the music area which you must have short links easy to remember to create ad-hoc campaign to promote new album or single or a new music video. Daily metrics and stats provided real time are awesome!

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular at the moment. I guess the guys at Bitly knows well how to keep customers happy! They introduced tons of new features since its launch and they all are perfect!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try bitly for free and you will get in love with it. 100% Guaranteed.

In a world where people are blasted every day with thousands of marketing campaigns, and in a world dominated by the Internet and those annoying things called 'Links' is a must to have the perfect short and custom URL to promote the next big thing.

bitly review by User

"It does the job; has basic analytics baked in"

What do you like best?

Bit.ly is INCREDIBLE easy to use; like, all you do is plug in the URL and boom! A custom bit.ly link is created, which you can insert on any platform. I use it for very basic purposes and bit.ly works well for that. There are basic analytics (number of clicks, day of clicks, and referral source) but they are very, very basic. If you want to dig deeper into those analytics, you'll need to combine bit.ly with another analytics tool.

What do you dislike?

Bit.ly serves a purpose and it's to create a custom, trackable link. If you want to do anything else, you have to go elsewhere. Or upgrade to premium.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those starting out on digital analytics and just want to get a surface-level reading of the performance of content, bit.ly is the way to go. However, I recommend combining bit.ly with a product like Hootsuite to get the most bang for your buck.

Tracking performance of a piece of content.

bitly review by Administrator in Media Production
Administrator in Media Production

"Bitly : A tool which define the digital marketing"

What do you like best?

It's use cases. From social share to the availability of Wordpress Plugin, you can easily share and track your links with just one click. We can even add our custom domain. That makes it a great tool to use by all, from freelancers to Enterprises.

What do you dislike?

Unavailability of detailed metrics and addition of retargeting pixels. That'll certainly make it an undisputed leader. Sometimes the support team doesn't respond early.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For budding startups and SMEs, it's the best tool to measure your traffic and reach.

It's helping us in data analysis and measuring our reach and digital presence. We can have complete overview of our audience after using Bitly.

bitly review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Very useful for recruitment purposes"

What do you like best?

I love that I can customize the shortlinks themselves. With other programs, the random sequence of letters and numbers makes it hard for non-tech-friendly people to put the link into their phone. When I have to distribute posters to faculty members who won't scan a QR code, it's important that the links says something typable.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the interface. The dashboard shows the number of links I've created before they tell me the number of clicks I've gotten, which is very intuitive.

Recruitment for educational programs (need to put an application link on the posters). It's also been useful in making citations for donor information packets, info-graphics, and event RSVP links.

bitly review by Alex C.
Alex C.

"Great for quick link-shortening and basic analytics"

What do you like best?

I like how quick and easy bitly is to use, and how it's open to anyone to use. It really cleans up your posts when you're trying to share content that requires linking out to another site.

What do you dislike?

Analytics are very basic and (as far as I know) there's no way to customize your link.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bookmark bitly on your browser if you're not using a software that automatically shortens links. It only takes a few seconds to shorten a link and it will make your posts/feed much cleaner.

I use bitly to shorten links for companies that I freelance for that don't pay for social media aggregator tools that automatically link shorten. Bitly cleans up their posts and provide some basic info like how many users clicked on that link.

bitly review by Aimee R.
Aimee R.

"bitly is great! "

What do you like best?

I really enjoy that you can use bitly for free and that I'm able to see the dates that the link was clicked.

What do you dislike?

I would really like to see the exact locations of the clicks rather than a general area. I also wish they had a better breakdown when it comes to the referrals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is a great product to use to get an idea of how many clicks your site is receiving.

I find that bitly helps me understand the best platforms to use when promoting my products.

bitly review by Christian A.
Christian A.

"Fast and easy"

What do you like best?

With just registering an account to bitly you can easily create shorter versions of your website, perfect to make it easier to remember, saves a lot of money and time.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, but still understandable, to get the all the features you need to pay, so the service is only partially free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider to get the paid version of the service: it's still affordable and gives lots of ease of use.

My website il much easier to find for my customers thanks to bitly, so far it worked perfectly.

bitly review by Bobbi  M.
Bobbi M.

"Great to use in quick hit information"

What do you like best?

I help respond to users for my companies products on Twitter and this is my favorite tool to use. I can cram a tiny link into a short one and save space to communicate to the user.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The ease of use and copy button really cover the pain points of copying links down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you direct people to other websites on a regular basis, this tool is required!

Helping direct to long links with the ease of a short clean link.

bitly review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Best Link Shortening Tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ability to use as many times as possible, affordability, link clicks tracked, dashboard layout. saved links to reuse quickly, helpful tips on content marketing on the bitly blog all the time,

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Easy to use, easy to manage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple. Just create an account and get started! There's no cost to start a free account and you can always upgrade to enterprise later if you need/want to.

We use bitly most often when tweeting or posting on Facebook or link in bio on Instagram. Obviously twitter is limited on characters so bitly helps there, on other social media it just looks cleaner to have bitly link instead of a super long one. Bitly basics training series really helping to optimize our posts with bitly.

bitly review by Michelangelo v.
Michelangelo v.

"A pioneer in shortlinks and linktracking"

What do you like best?

Bitly has been around for a couple of years and was from the start a business that was ready for the future. They offered shortened URL's as a service out of the box, but also started tagging and measuring these links so you could have immediate analytics from all the usages. A simple but great service, free for everyone but with so much more if you're a paying customer.

Now with their upgraded interface, you really get control over when, where and how many times your links have been used. Brilliant!

Bitly comes with a convenient mobile app and a super easy to use API to create even more power.

Oh, you can also use your own short-domain if you like so you can brand your short URL's.

What do you dislike?

Because you can brand your short URL's the most hateful thing is to find a short URL you can use that somewhat resembles your brand name. It's tough to find 2-character domain names, well honestly it's impossible nowadays. Finding a 3-character domain is tricky, but with some creativity you can still find them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try bitly for free and be amazed by what you get straight out of the box for free. Once you have tried it, you will love it, guaranteed. And if you want more information about your campaigns, upgrade to enterprize and get even more awesomeness over your campaigns.

With the rise of social media, especially Twitter with a 140 character limit the need for short URL's was very high. Bitly filled this requirement very well allowing us to create very long marketing campaigns that were reduced to short links you could use in your Twitter message and still had some room left for a message of value. And over time more of these services popped up, and even Twitter provided a similar service. But we stayed with Bitly as we not only had short URL's we could use (even in presentations and flyers), but we could also track and measure the performance of our campaigns. So even for offline print marketing purposes, Bitly provided us with the information we needed to optimize our campaigns.

bitly review by Tyler S.
Tyler S.

"Great to use, easy and helpful"

What do you like best?

I can plug any messy link into bitly and get a nice clean link to share out.

What do you dislike?

nothing, its extremely easy to use. Even giving you the copy button so you don't have to highlight and copy yourself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

About as easy of process as you can make it. Copy the original link, paste, copy the shorter bitly link. Awesome tool.

When responding to users on twitter with tutorials, I send them bitly links so that I can fit the character requirement.

Learning about bitly?

* We monitor all bitly reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.