Blackboard Learn

Your sales, service and partner teams can easily receive just-in-time training; improving skills, competency and product knowledge.

Work for Blackboard Learn?

Learning about Blackboard?

Blackboard Learn Reviews

Showing 539 Blackboard reviews
Blackboard review by Nathan  R.
Nathan R.

"Jack of All Trades! (Master of None)"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is capable of many different functions. It's LTI compatible, works with many other external systems we have, and it has several internal tools. Faculty can create Discussion Boards, build wikis, host meetings within BB Collaborate Ultra. Blackboard can facilitate almost any idea faculty have for lessons within their courses.

What do you dislike?

What I like best about Blackboard is also what I see as it's biggest problem: its many functions. Yes, it does have discussion, but no one really wants to use it because it feels impersonal. (My university integrates YellowDig to fix this, which has a more appeal aesthetic because it feels more like most social media platforms) Since we don't really like most of the features, we end up integrating several LTI tools and Building Blocks. This proves to be costly. I know several people would like to switch to a different system, but too many people are content with Blackboard despite requiring us to buy extra tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wouldn't say that Blackboard is the worst option for LMS's. However, I would either find a different LMS or go with Blackboard Ultra. If you settle with vanilla Blackboard Learn, you may not be too happy with how your users respond to it. Therefore, you many end up adding/paying for several add-ons for the system. The add-ons work, I just wish that things like discussions, wikis, messaging, etc. were more intuitive and appealing to students. Not to be too mean, I do appreciate how easily other systems are able to work with Blackboard. We use ilos Video Platform, and we were able to link the two using Blackboards Mashups, SSO, and a new integration that allows instructors to link their quizzes from their ilos Videos into the Blackboard Grade Center. It's not the worst LMS; it's just not the best.

We're a public university, so we host almost all of our classes on Blackboard. It's nice being able to guide students to one centralize location for their courses. Additionally, my university hosts a rather large dual-degree with two international universities. Being able to leverage Blackboard's online space helps us keep enrollments up and problems down. I would say hosting our online courses is the greatest benefit of using Blackboard.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Blackboard Learn
Blackboard review by Megan F.
Megan F.

"Needs Some Updates"

What do you like best?

Blackboard has a lot of options for managing classes, organizations, training, etc. I think overall it has a lot to offer. For our students, it provides a lot of options to manage their classwork, set appointments with staff members, and see other organizations and class activities. Students can add their activities and student organizations in, to make it easier to send emails and create events. Staff can also use it to work through self-paced trainings and to find trainings to take.

What do you dislike?

It really has an outdated function and visual look. I used Blackboard in college almost 10 years ago and I feel as though it hasn't changed at all in it's appearance since then! I am not sure if that's because of the settings our college has it set on, but overall it just looks very out-dated. I think if Blackboard updated their look, such as better color schemes, more friendly links, etc., they'd be much more competitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard offers the ability to sync with other programs and widgets, such as Starfish. For our students, they not only can use Blackboard to manage classes, but they can also use it to make appointments with advisors and other individuals within the college.

I think it gives us a lot of options to offer our students, faculty, and staff. For faculty, it's easy to organize classes, manage grades, discussion boards, and tests. For staff, you can offer different trainings and manage organizations. For students, it provides "one stop shopping".

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Blackboard review by Thomas C.
Thomas C.

"It works. That's about it"

What do you like best?

I like that blackboard has seemingly limitless features.

For a professor who is willing to put the hours into training and course building, it can be an amazing tool.

I would write more, but there's nothing more to write.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has so many features that new users would never figure out on their own. It is not especially user-friendly, and it is entirely horrid on mobile devices.

Blackboard can be, to a lazy professor, a great tool, because it is nearly impossible for them to build a really decent course without specific personal training.

Blackboard does not coordinate well across different devices, and is difficult for students to use unless they have the exact materials.

I wish Blackboard were easier to integrate into other popular learning platforms, such as Pearson MyLabs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, I would consider something else. Blackboard has a lot of work to do in order to catch up to 2018.

I would recommend, to all adopters, to have a very strong training program so that all users are aware of all features. Without this training, it would be nearly impossible to get your money's worth out of this platform. It is completely necessary to have good trainings in order to use BlackBoard's biggest strengths.

I use blackboard to build online courses and organize group work across our campus(es). I enjoy that it has a lot of features, though it is not especially easy to find all the features for a new used.

Blackboard review by Abigail W.
Abigail W.

"Could be better"

What do you like best?

I think blackboard has a lot of available assets like calendars, announcements, grades, quizzes, message board, etc. I did like having all my grades in one place. Taking quizzes within blackboard was always easy and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I think the organization of tools could have been done better. And because different professors use it differently, this made it less of a useful system. Another issue was you did not always see notifications unless you logged in. If I didn't have a reason to log in to Blackboard one day and something was posted without my knowledge, such as an assignment, I would not have known it was there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you choose to use Blackboard, try to have a consistent level of use across teacher, at least as much as possible.

Blackboard Learn was used to keep most aspects of classes in one place in an effort to keep things organized and easy to use.

Blackboard review by Chantal M.
Chantal M.

"Convenient Tool for Managing Classroom & Other Student Activities "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is pretty user-friendly. Our IT department uploads students to classes, so from the user perspective, it's simple to use. You can add test and exams for students to complete via multiple choice, and the system automatically grades them for you. They also have a great platform discussion board threads.

What do you dislike?

While our IT department does upload student users to classrooms, it can be hard to navigate when a student is not listed because they signed up for a course too late. I also wish there was an option for video chatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using Blackboard if there is technical support at your institution or company that can support technical issues. Blackboard is great, but a part of my experience is due to the fact that I don't have to troubleshoot technical issues myself.

It helps manage students that are enrolled in online training programs or classes (online or in-person). It also helps with grading and seeing who has completed training requirements.

Blackboard review by Mounika C.
Mounika C.

"Collaboration between Teachers and Students."

What do you like best?

Blackboard beats the competition - hands down. I've used this software for over 3 years as a student as well as teaching assistant.

They constantly improve the software. It's very fluid. Grading is a breeze.

The interface is decently easy to use but you can miss some updates if you don't check it very often

.Likewise, it keeps my students in touch with me - and each other.

There are so many options for creating assignments, allowing students to view content, or interact with each other.

I love using Blackboard Learn.

The menus are clean and simple

Easy to navigate the menus, different screens and options

Saves time and energy than going to an actual classroom

love the ability to reach all of students or any subgroup in multiple ways.

For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized.

I believe that blackboard is a good system, but it could use some improvement.

What do you dislike?

It is only as good as the instructor who sets it up.

blackboard is easy to use, but if the instructor is not computer savvy (or lazy) then you can have a difficult time using the software.

Maybe blackboard is harder to set up as an instructor than it is to use as a student

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard's ease of use has made Blackboard an everlasting tool at our school.

It's a great product! Finding all my grades were easily accessible.

Blackboard review by Taylor S.
Taylor S.

"Great software with complex capabilities. "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very easy to use for multiple functions. I am able to upload documents, sort them, customize the look and feel of my coursepage, add links, and update grades all in one place. I am also able to message students right in the platform. It's a very integrated platform that's easy to use and allows me to do multiple things in one, convenient place.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard's design is a bit outdated. The platform itself could look a little more modern. Also, I have experienced some technical glitches in the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this software. I have previously used other platforms such as Angel and this is by far the best.

Blackboard allows me to perform my job as a teacher with ease. It allows me to keep all of my course documents, assignments, grades, and everything else that I need in one place. It's also extremely customizable, so I can alter it to fit my needs.

Blackboard review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"The best educational tool for your students"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is user-friendly. Very flexible to post student material, announcements and even do exams online. You can easily assign different permission levels to faculty and students.

Weights can be added to exams and assignments, thus adding up to the full course grade.

Easy to navigate and compatible with any browser.

The application can easily be configured to connect to the LDAP. And it is mobile friendly!!

What do you dislike?

It is hard to mention weaknesses in the functionality of the application. I would suggest a more colorful interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe it is worth trying. i recommend educational institutions to contact blackboard and ask for a demo, as well as possible offers.

Blackboard eases the collaboration between student and teacher. Students can attend classes through BB collaborate tool. They can post their assignments and exams, add notes, do exams and get all these graded.

The answer key can be added to the BB exam for immediate correction and display of the grade after it is submitted.

Blackboard review by Joy P.
Joy P.

"Great place for course integration"

What do you like best?

What I love the most about blackboard is that it is so easy to put all your course content in one place. It is very easy to access as well. I love that it can tell you your grades, due dates of assignments and send reminds for assignments at a time as well. I can also easily manage my work-related documents and training on blackboard just by clicking on the organizations that I am a part of. I love you that you send mass email and make announcements for everyone to see it as well.

Overall, it is a great place to have all your course content in.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard does not work well on phones or on the app. I have had issues with submitting .zip files for my assignments as well, and it does not really incorporate videos properly.

It does not really have any exceptional features but it is a good place to have everything together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend you to check your blackboard often.

I use it to contact my students as their tutor, and I also use this for accessing my own courses. I go back to it frequently to keep a track of all my academic records and it is very helpful.

Blackboard review by Josh E.
Josh E.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

There are only a few features that I like about blackboard to be honest. It is good for classroom management, it gives you reminders for your upcoming assignments, and it is easy to create announcements on blackboard for your students. It is also quite popular ad the centralized education management system for the university, so everybody uses it.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things that I dislike about blackboard. To start with, it is filled with bugs! It does not work on my phone and a lot of my students have complained about that as well. The text boxes don't expand when you type which makes it hard to see what you are typing. It also has bad syllabus integration system which misleads a lot of students.

Frequently blackboard maintenance is required by the university, which prevents access to the entire website all day! The app for it is a horrible implementation as well! Definitely needs help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, I'd choose Canvas.

I use it to upload course content for my students; I am their Teaching Assistant. I also use it to access my own courses. It is easy means of class management.

Blackboard review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"Very functional, but steeper learning curve. "

What do you like best?

It's efficient with few distractions once you figure out where to find what you need. I have used it only from the standpoint of a student, and until I figured out where the items needed were located, it was a confusing experience. However, once that is figured out, Blackboard Learn manages an online class as good or better than other software I have used, and especially better than the competitor made by Edmodo.

What do you dislike?

The software looks dated, and the forum function has no innovated features or design. The first time I used the software, the layout and the links were easily labeled or placed, and I felt like there was a steep learning curve to becoming efficient in the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple, efficient, gets the job done.

I am able to take part in virtual online book studies and professional development classes using Blackboard Learn.

Blackboard review by Caroline W.
Caroline W.

"Review for Blackboard"

What do you like best?

Blackboard does an excellent job at class management for my own courses at TAMU as well as to maintain my tutoring documentation, tutor training, and compliance training records. It is easy to look at submission deadlines and keep track of what's due in the future.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things that I dislike about blackboard. It is VERY BUGGY. It does not work well on my android phones and I cannot even request for support services for help. It also auto-calculates the grades for my students for the tutoring assignments which does not match with my grading policy. This ends up giving them wrong information about their progress.

I constantly receive emails regarding phishing done on blackboard as well.

It also does not support extensions like .c or .zip or .tar files which, as a Computer Science student, I have to use a lot!

I would really like them to work on these features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can find some other classroom management app, then definitely go for it.

I use it to maintain my class records and job records. It is an alright website to keep track of the stuff you have due.

Blackboard review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a genius platform for classroom management, content listing and assignment submissions. I constantly use this to communicate with my students and update them about my lectures. It is very easy to create announcements, and assignment submissions.

The file sharing and discussion board panel are amazing features which make group collaboration very easy. I also love how it separately lists out the organizations where you work on campus so that it does not collide with your actual classes. It is a very organized website.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of bugs and does not work well at all on android or iOS platforms. The grading feature in it needs help as it does not integrate my grading criteria even when I try to set it up. Instead it ends up creating false grades which is very misleading for students. However, it still is an amazing tool for communication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use it for course management.

I use it to upload lecture notes and assignments and exams for my students for organic chemistry. It is generally a great means to have all the content in one place.

Blackboard review by Manisha B.
Manisha B.

"Best place to integrate everything!"

What do you like best?

As a student as well as a teaching assistant, I like blackboard in general. It is a best place for the professors and the students to communicate like the scores are uploaded, the grades are made visible as well as the assignments are made available to the students on blackboard. It can be even further changed to grant or deny permission according to their email addresses. The app version gives me notifications on the way when the assignment or any grades were posted on the blackboard for a particular subject. Interactive platform. Blackboard is great for providing a clear and organized view of all of the courses we take along with the work related training. It is easy to submit my work like assignments, projects, check deadlines as well on the course page and access course materials like pdfs, etc.It is also a great place to check our grades, progress and and stay updated with your progress in the course. It is definitely a required portal that every university must have for the students. It is good with IOS but the android version of the apps gives you lot of bugs or even gets frozen.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't support all types of files like .tar, .c, .gz etc. there are lot of issues with the app specially, when I access it through my phone as my screen is much smaller and options on the app seem to overlap. I also can't scroll through the menu options properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the desktop version and not the app.

Blackboard helps me solving the problem of submission of my assignments or other documents as compared to emails which are less reliable and can have spam issues. It helps us to have everything in an orderly manner.

Blackboard review by Priyanka S.
Priyanka S.

"review for blackboard"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is great for providing a clear and organized view of all of the courses we take along with the work related training. It is easy to submit assignments, check deadlines and access course material through it.

Blackboard also is a great place to check your grades and stay updated with your progress in the course. It is definitely a portal that every university must have.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard is very buggy! It does not open well on android platforms. There are a lot of phishing reports regarding blackboard as well.

I have also faced difficulties in submitting my .tar or .c files for assignments through blackboard just because it does not support the format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to use it on your laptop definitely, instead of the phones.

I have used this for my classes at university and for my workplace where I tutor. It definitely is beneficial in the sense that it provides you easy access to all your courses, but it definitely needs some work when it comes to the software.

Blackboard review by Saurya B.
Saurya B.

"Great platform to organize University courses"

What do you like best?

I like the convenience of having all my courses at the same place. It is definitely easier to manage and organize course materials and grades. Recently we had to give a presentation in class and everyone submitted the Power point on Blackboard. All we had to do was log in to our Blackboard accounts and access the PowerPoint. It was very convenient and fast. there was no hassle of emailing or having to bring a flash drive.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the website does not work well when I access it through my phone as the screen is smaller and buttons seem to overlap. I also can't scroll all the way properly. Another small thing I don't like is how it still says I have a notification even after I checked all my notifications. It makes me anxious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very convenient tool and they keep on updating their features and fixing their bugs which is making this product even more efficient.

Blackboard solves the problem of having to submit assignments or other documents through other medium such as email which is less reliable and can easily be hidden to sent to spam. The discussion section has helped us discuss our ideas efficiently and in an orderly manner.

Blackboard review by Stephanie R.
Stephanie R.

"Not As Good As It Could Be"

What do you like best?

I do like the ease of grading and posting.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the hoops I have to jump through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is certainly useful and it has a lot of neat options and benefits. I would definitely recommend using blackboard. Just make sure you get TRAINED! There is so much you can do with it, but if you don't know about it, you aren't using it to it's full ability. Look for free online videos or your organization to get training. I like that Blackboard tracks EVERY CORRESPONDENCE that is sent through BB. It certainly helps when you have students who are dishonest. I don't like that it isn't a more user-friendly interface, but I guess something with this much capability wouldn't be easy to make... well easy. THE BEST PART, you can copy your class into a new course! You can select what you want to move and what you don't, which means you aren't constantly starting from scratch!

This is an effective and efficient tool for teaching. I use the assessments, journals, discussion, video and media capabilities, and all sorts of tools. It makes teaching hybrid a breeze and organization of a class is so easy! I love the tools offered, the resources that are built in, and the way we can post announcements on Blackboard, like if there were a scary situation on campus, we could inform students through BB. It's good overall, but could use some updating and be made easier to use from the instructor side. The benefit is the ease of setting up, running a course, tracking information, and responding to students.

Blackboard review by Maike H.
Maike H.

"Adequate study/class tool, but there are better alternatives"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows students to look at their grades, obtain class materials, and submit homework assignments. I like that blackboard is intuitive and very simple to use. I have never had any issues downloading materials or uploading assignments. Also, the organization of class materials is easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

I have used both blackboard and canvas, and I prefer Canvas (another tool for class management) over Blackboard for the following reasons:

1. The canvas smartphone app makes it easy to check grades and announcements while on the go.There is no blackboard app.

2. In Canvas, you can message classmates to discuss class material, but this feature is absent in Blackboard.

Those are probably the largest drawbacks. Blackboard is a little more 'bare bones' than Canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is easy to use and reliable, making it a good choice for online learning. It is easy to download materials, look at grades, view important class announcements, and access the class syllabus. However, there are some drawbacks--students cannot message one another to discuss class material, and there is currently no phone app for Blackboard. Compared to other class management tools such as Canvas, blackboard is a bit more stripped down.

Blackboard has helped me with on-the-job training, as I need to submit assignments for work - related classes through blackboard. I have also obtained useful class materials through the blackboard interface. Overall, Blackboard has helped me to be more efficient in learning class material and submitting assignments. In addition, I am updated immediately when teachers post important class announcements through Blackboard.

Blackboard review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="90d100e6-cde3-4c95-8250-3618a5aa4b2e">Patrick L.</span>
Patrick L.
" itemprop="name" />

"University Course Organization Made Easy!"

What do you like best?

Blackboard Learn allows me to keep track off all my courses during a semester and have all the tools necessary I need to succeed. All course material, announcements, and assignments can be found on blackboard should your professor choose to use it as such. Being able to turn in assignments online and view grades is also very useful.

What do you dislike?

My main complaint about Blackboard is that in the past there would be a lot of connectivity issues. Often I would see Blackboard being down for both updates and unexpected occurrences. Always questioning whether the site would actually be accessible was always an important thing to consider, especially given time sensitive assignments. Professors would also often have trouble utilizing the site to get materials to their students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Blackboard as an option for an education platform. The Blackboard team has been constantly updating and improving their product, so I would definitely at least check it out.

Blackboard is great choice for any education focused business or for just universities/schools in general. Online resources are a great alternative to cutting back on paper usage and constantly having to prepare handouts for class. Blackboard saves both time and money for both professors and students!

Blackboard review by Travis M.
Travis M.

"Deliver quality classes online"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows me to create online class portals that engage students in learning. The platform allows me to customize my classes to include a number of multimedia content options. Blackboard also allows me to grade and provide feedback to my students in an easy to use, timely format.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is some added features to the software. Specifically user data. I wish it was easier to obtain user data from the course. I also dont like that the format/color options are sometimes limited, however I am sure if I took the time I could learn to handle both of the issues.

Blackboard allows me to reach a larger number of students due to the online format. It also helps with the deliver of in-person classes because you can upload and maintain course content for students. It also saves time because I can administer tests and other assignments online and do not have to physically be anywhere.

Blackboard review by Ann C.
Ann C.

"BlackBoard for Online Coursework"

What do you like best?

BlackBoard is relatively user friendly for both faculty and students (from what I have heard from my own students.). It can be accessed both on and off campus, as well as on a cell phone with internet or tablet.

Grading can take place right on BlackBoard, without the user having to download the submitted assignment. This saves time and room on my desktop!

One really great feature is that you can check for plagiarism through one of the options offered for assignment submission. Student papers will be compared to their peers, as well as papers that have been submitted in the past, and I believe can be compared to published documents.

What do you dislike?

At times it can be tricky to set up things like group pages (for submitting and grading group assignments) or even personal pages (for individual students to submit files), but I have found that our BlackBoard technical services have always been able to walk me through anything I'm having trouble with. One other sometimes difficult reality is that "upgrades" often take place which shuts down access to BlackBoard; however, most times this occurs late at night or in the early hours of the morning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! The only other platform I've used is Moodle. When switching, Blackboard took some time to get used to, but overall, I do like it.

I haven't noticed any "business" problems with BlackBoard. I have been using it for over two years. Overall it is a support to student learning. I am able to post PowerPoints, reading assignments, journal prompts, discussion boards, and even send out group emails through BlackBoard.

Blackboard review by Jackie L.
Jackie L.

"A flexible online classroom!"

What do you like best?

Compared to other learning management systems, such as Canvas or eCollege, Blackboard seems to be the most customizable. With Blackboard, you're not obligated to format your course into modules. Modules can be very restricting depending on the content or flow of the class, so having the freedom to create an open style (non-modulated) is very beneficial.. Not only am I able to organize the course how I want, but there are always ways to customize the design and feel, plus there are a plethora of add on extensions that can be integrated into the course.

What do you dislike?

The internal e-mail systems has some hiccups. For one thing, it's not placed in an easy-to-access location on the page. In order to e-mail students, or groups of students, I have to click through a series of subfolders within the Course Management section. Likewise, when I send an e-mail through Blackboard, it doesn't default to also send me a copy. Unless the small checkbox is selected, there will not be any type of record that the e-mail was sent. Lastly, I wish there was a more detailed log about when students accessed the course...as it stands, you can only see when they last logged in. It would be nice to have a full record of their sign-ins in order to establish a pattern of time management.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dedicate a day to building a course from a blank shell. It's the best way to learn all of the tricks Blackboard can do, though there is an excellent library of support available online as well.

I'm in the business of higher education, so Blackboard provides me with a way to teacher students with online or hybrid content. The benefits are that I've formatted my course to not have a textbook, and instead provide all of the required materials directly in the course in the form of videos and PDFs. This saves students money!

Blackboard review by Ron B.
Ron B.

"Easy Uploading for First Time User"

What do you like best?

Now as a staff professor, I like that Blackboard still has the same basic features the program had when I was a student. Being able to know my own frustrations as a student (syllabi not uploaded correctly, uploading homework assignments in platform), I can mitigate these on the other side. The way students can communicate with me also helps--it gives another option besides a regular email, but still connects directly to email.

What do you dislike?

There are still too many strange secondary boxes that appear in Blackboard. I understand the need for personalization, but some professors of a certain (older) age are not able to create the visually appealing layout students can identify with more. If Blackboard could integrate a cleaner layout (though many people have gotten used to it), this could allow professors to link personal websites, add additional multimedia, and connect with millennial/Gen Z students.

I've realized that this product is still one of the best ways to connect with students and share the things they need to be academically successful.

Blackboard review by Divyansh A.
Divyansh A.

"Great but still not perfect"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very customizable and has a lot of legacies. They are doing some great experiments in products tangential to the LMS experience; Specifically, ALLY, Collaborate, and Analytics. There are some really interesting features in these new products, and they seem to be designed around user experiences.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of legacies, and it's extremely outdated. There are 3 methods of delivery, 2 experiences, and 4 or 5 new products that aren't baked directly in. We, specifically, are self-hosted - so when they announce a new product, my first two questions are: when will it trickle down to self-hosted? what does it cost? They've started to figure out SaaS and Mobile, but don't have a unified product or experience. It would have been better to keep their SaaS and Self-Hosted products completely separate, instead of mixing and matching as they've done.

We use Blackboard as a Learning Management System, to manage relationships between students, classes, and instructors. It's added a lot of educational value to our University. It saves a lot of paper and helps keep an electronic record of student achievement. It's just outdated and clunky.

Blackboard review by Matthew D.
Matthew D.

"Blackboard is outdated and needs to adapt. "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very customizable, and has a lot of legacy. They are doing some great experiments in products tangential to the LMS experience; Specifically, ALLY, Collaborate, and Analytics. There are some really interesting features in these new products, and they seem to be designed around user experiences.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of legacy, and it's extremely outdated. There are 3 methods of delivery, 2 experiences, and 4 or 5 new products that aren't baked directly in. We, specifically, are self hosted - so when they announce a new product, my first two questions are: when will it trickle down to self hosted? what does it cost? They've started to figure out SaaS and Mobile, but don't have a unified product or experience. It would have been better to keep their SaaS and Self-Hosted products completely separate, instead of mixing and matching as they've done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Canvas instead. They have the benefit of being web first and mobile first, and not having a fragmented experience.

We use Blackboard as a Learning Management System, to manage relationships between students, classes and instructors. It's added a lot of educational value to our University. It saves a lot of paper, and helps keep an electronic record of student achievement. It's just outdated and clunky.

Blackboard review by Amanda N.
Amanda N.

"Blackboard for Post Grads"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to use and a good place to store files to re-use for later classes

What do you dislike?

I dislike how glitchy it is. No matter what browser I use, there are glitches with moving files from one location to another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is software that could use some updating to compete with the likes of Canvas. Our University it switching to Canvas in an effort to create a more flexible workflow and contact with students. This is where Blackboard lacks advancement.

Posting teaching materials for courses is solved so that students get all of the information that their colleagues get at the same time. Benefits are that resources are available and posted to Blackboard without the need for students to hunt down their instructor for every question. Tables, charts, lab groups, and announcements about upcoming exams and corrected lecture slides are all easily and readily available 24/7.

Blackboard review by Nancy S.
Nancy S.

"Effective LMS But Not the Easiest to Master"

What do you like best?

I love that I can grade papers online, leave voice comments, and I love the integrated turnitin.com ability. Modules are easy to make for online teaching. Students love the journals, and the discussion boards are easy to use.

What do you dislike?

It's not intuitive, and it's not easy to help students, because we can't see their view and our view at the same time. Also, a lot of things - such as the feedback studio - are clunky and slow, and it's not obvious where to track things down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you're trained and have a good relationship with your support team!

I love having an LMS that my students can use on all platforms. This makes it so they cannot make excuses about accessing it, as long as they have a phone.

Blackboard review by Jhinelle B.
Jhinelle B.

"Blackboard User"

What do you like best?

I like how many different aspects there are to Blackboard. I also like how each instructor can customize it for their classes. Every one of my classes has different links and information for that specific class. If you wanted to, you truly could link a lot of resources and assignments in addition to the standard format for a hybrid or online class. It's user friendly for the most part. You can also email directly through Blackboard. You can also search for classmates if you don't have contact information and need to find out information about an assignment your group is working on, for example.

What do you dislike?

Just a couple things that I can think of are not intuitive for the user. Clicking on a specific part of the submission assignment page to see a grade if not the way I would expect it to be designed. When trying to read in text comments on graded assignments, you have to expand it in a such a way that doesn't seem like it would be an option if you want to read what your instructor has noted.

Even for in-person classes, Blackboard is still used, and it provides a hub for information and discussion between classes. This is helpful for group communication.

Blackboard review by Andrea C.
Andrea C.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Easy to put in grades, send out messages to students, post assignments, etc. My students also submit their assignments through Blackboard, which makes it easy to do grading. I also like that Blackboard can check student work for plagiarism.

What do you dislike?

It's not very aesthetically appealing and I often find a discrepancy in the two grade columns that calculate the final grade. I also do not like that my view is quite different from the students and that students seem to have to hit submit a few times to actually submit their work. As a result, I often get students who think they submitted an assignment, but they missed one click.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you know how to use a computer, it's pretty easy to use. I find that the user interface isn't all that appealing, but I think your institution's IT department can change this. Also, be careful about grade calculations and make sure you double check the accuracy.

Blackboard is our learning management system. It makes it really easy to collect assignments from students, and is also a great piece in finding and preventing plagiarism. Just the threat of knowing that Blackboard checks their work for plagiarism makes the vast majority of students far too afraid to try doing it.

Blackboard review by Millie H.
Millie H.

"Helpful for storage of class information, but not the best organization"

What do you like best?

You can clearly see where the Announcements, Syllabus, Assignments, and any other miscellaneous categories that the Professor created.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to navigate what is put where. This is due to BlackBoard's style as well as the professor's personal design of their BlackBoard content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To have a more streamlined process that every professor and student must adapt to. It is difficult to find certain things due to the professor's liking; however, this problem may be fixed by giving fewer options to the professor. This way, things cannot be "hidden" from the student.

Although it is difficult to navigate at times, it is definitely a way to organize a student's classes. BlackBoard will always notify and email me the moment a professor uploads content and grades.

Blackboard review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Great as long as you have the Server Power"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is one of the best Online Classroom Software available if you have the server to support it. Our entire department and most of the University incorporate the technology even if they teach in-person courses. Blackboard is fast, efficient, easy to understand and use, and quick to get set-up.

What do you dislike?

Technical support for Blackboard is often put into the hands of our Local IT staff who do not act as good support technicians for the software.

Lots of users = server connection issues. Ensure your server can support the load, server switching has been problematic for many of our faculty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure your server is large enough to handle the load you plan on putting on it

Delivering high impact, quality, and up to date classes online for today's traditional and non-traditional students. Effective communication, discussions, graded activities for in-person classes.

Blackboard review by Zakiah M.
Zakiah M.

"Blackboard, easy for students-- hard for some teachers"

What do you like best?

Blackboard makes it so grades are visible to all students, and assignments can be submitted. Navigating blackboard for students can be easy, especially with the level of understanding this generation has for technology. The students enjoy the streamline service that blackboard provides, if a campus is fully integrated with blackboard, students have everything they need all in one place. It decreases the hassle of having multiple usernames, passwords and resources to log onto to complete an assignment.

What do you dislike?

For teachers who are not accustomed to software used for learning purposes, blackboard can be confusing. Setting up the quizzes, assignments and uploading data into appropriate folders can be difficult for some.

Blackboard streamlines all teacher data and grades onto one site, instead of expecting students to use multiple different resources to complete their homework/tasks. It increases the rate of homework submission.

"You Need BlackBoard!"

What do you like best?

I like that you can manage organizations and classes. It is almost limitless with what you can do! From online tests, to work teams, and announcement. Great for any form of classroom structure or organization like Residence Halls, Class of Groups, etc. It has great tools for organizing classwork and extra activities. You can also customize the layout and look based on your institution! It is great for transfer students especially if they are used to this platform.

When using this for more than just classrooms, students are really able to see and understand how versatile blackboard is. I use this for announcements for my residence hall, espcially for documents of important info like student handbooks, housing polices, etc.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I love blackboard. Every system has its downfalls though. It has a lot of features which is great, but so many go unused because you cant always figure it all out. I think especially for students a blackboard training course, specifically structured for the particular institution would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn this product. It is best to get an entire department, college, institution on board for the sake of the students. Having all their courses and organizations run on the same platform helps give consistency and ease of use during a stressful period in their lives. Additionally, having set guidelines for faculty so they are using the platform in the best way!

Building courses, online courses, work group, student organization groups, residence halls, etc.

Blackboard review by Anastasia M.
Anastasia M.

"Nice Interface, Needs more Introduction"

What do you like best?

I like that Blackboard is cloud-based and be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. It makes accomplishing work and grading assignments very convenient. It is nice that it can hold so many different types of content such as videos, pdf, etc without having to leave the site.

What do you dislike?

I think there needs to be a better introduction to Blackboard for first-time users. I found it rather difficult to navigate at first and took awhile to get used to. I found it difficult to find my notifications and dismiss them, I also have viewed notifications and found it hard to dismiss them.

It makes grading student assignments very easy and allows for quick feedback. I feel like I can really communicate with them without being face to face.

Blackboard review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great way to organize class content"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a great platform for organizing class content for students to access. The ability to organize readings and other handouts in separate modules is especially helpful for teaching online courses, though it can also be helpful for face-to-face classes as well.

What do you dislike?

While Blackboard makes organizing content easy, it can sometimes be difficult to set up and use. It is relatively easy to use on the student's end, but the course set-up as an instructor is not particularly user-friendly. I have taken training on using Blackboard and still do not feel that I can figure out how to do everything I want to with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is a great platform for organizing and presenting content for a course, but I would suggest that instructors take a tutorial on how to use it as well as give students a walkthrough as it can be confusing and difficult to use without training.

I use Blackboard primarily for organizing class content, keeping up with student grades, and facilitating discussion boards. Using it for student grades is particularly helpful as it provides a place for me to keep and calculate grades and also provides a place for students to find their grades as soon as I submit them, reducing e-mails about grades. I also enjoy Blackboard's discussion board format where students can post anonymously in discussion boards I choose or have to post in other discussion boards before they can read posts, making it easier to ensure students are posting their own work. Blackboard's link with SafeAssign is also helpful, as it provides a quick and easy way for me to assess whether students are plagiarizing their work and to what extent.

Blackboard review by Mark W.
Mark W.

"Good website but with a lot of bugs"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a good website with a lot of educational tools which helps you in keeping everything together in one place. By that I mean, both jobs related, and course-related content if you are at a University. It has well-divided layouts and sections for specific things and it has also made group collaboration easy for me.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of glitches. It is difficult to submit a lot of different file formats through blackboard and it constantly crashes, leaving your progress unsaved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend using it.

I have a lot of courses that I am taking on Blackboard. I also have to take job related training on blackboard and give my submissions. It is a good place to keep reminders and I would definitely recommend it.

Blackboard review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Blackboard your one stop shop for grades, assignments, even tests!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that teachers can easily post a message and have it not only show up on everyones blackboard site but also in everyones email. My teachers utilize this feature quite often. Also love the convenience of the app.

What do you dislike?

I do not really like that you cannot view everything on the app that you can review on the desktop site. Sometimes if I use the app too much I feel like I miss important things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that after each semester is over you use the "hide" feature in order to hide the previous classes or else your screen gets pretty busy.

Students can easily see their letter grade they currently have in the class and they also can see the exact percentage they have in the class instead of having to ask the instructor every time they would like to check their grades.

Blackboard review by Caroline Palmer L.
Caroline Palmer L.

"Handles everything virtual in one easy platform"

What do you like best?

It wasn't until I didn't have blackboard that I realized how amazing this platform really is. At my study abroad university they had several outdated platforms with different login credentials for various tasks. It was almost ridiculous how badly they functioned and how confusing it was. Blackboard makes it easy to share documents, hold discussions, take virtual tests/quizzes, and communicate with your professors. You can easily manage your classwork through this singular platform. Everything you'd ever need to do virtually was incorporated into blackboard's platform. I think all colleges should use Blackboard.

What do you dislike?

Like many programs, blackboard could update their interface. I am picky about design, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste time with cheaper software -- get blackboard.

Easy way to communicate with classmates and professors in a "classroom setting" when you're not in class -- ie discussion boards. one simple easy to use platform.

Blackboard review by Lauren W.
Lauren W.

"Blackboard Learn Reveiw "

What do you like best?

I like the many options for creating a variety of activities for students. I like that Blackboard makes it easy for instructors and admin to follow. Blackboard is a great platform for students of all ages. We cater a lot to older students because our program is all online and they have reported all good things. The classes are easy to use consistency in because everything is/ can be based on a template.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that accessibility is limited based on your role. I dislike that as an admin, I control almost all of Blackboard for my online faculty and they have to come to me to change anything. I do not like that Blackboard has glitches often.

We are using Blackboard learn to solve the problems of online learning. Blackboard has created a tremendous platform for students of all ages to use with ease.

Blackboard review by Carly M.
Carly M.

"Website Creation and Management Made Easy"

What do you like best?

Blackboard Learn is very easy to use and the application itself presents a very professional product to the users. As a teacher, we use Blackboard Learn to post our classroom webpages. These pages are seen by parents, students, and community members. (Truly anyone in the world!) The webpages we create and use are functional and appealing. Students and parents navigate with ease and enjoy logging on to use our sites, thanks to Blackboard Learn.

What do you dislike?

Creating and altering pages once they are on your site can be a bit difficult if your site contains multiple pages and links. Trying to organize a large site may take time and ultimately be more frustrating than leaving the links where they were. Nevertheless, this site faces that problem because you are capable of creating the site size that you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this across your district/company, not simply for one small portion of your organization.

Our district website and homepages are uniform and functional. We can contact one company to solve our tech problems, as well as assist one another in any small hiccups we may face.

Blackboard review by Nancy L. S.
Nancy L. S.

"Works, but could be more intuitive"

What do you like best?

I love being able to communicate with, and delivery material to, my students.

What do you dislike?

I hate the way some of the commands and menus are very counter-intuitive. You have to consult "help" often because you'll need to do things, and it's not at all obvious how to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you keep the Help section handy! My university is now making the switch to Canvas. I'm sure a lot of this is about bottom line, but I would imagine some of it is about ease of use and features, too.

Blackboard makes it very simple to communicate with students, get info to them, and they can use it to collaborate and work independently. I do like having a centralized platform.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"User friendly and intuitive"

What do you like best?

One of the things I like best about Blackboard is that it is so widely used. That means that it's worth my while to get familiar with it, since almost any academic institution uses it. As an instructor, it's easy to post grades, send emails to individuals or the entire class, or post messages for the class. It's also easy to post material for the students.

What do you dislike?

One thing that I dislike is that when a student emails me through Blackboard, I'm not able to reply to their email from Outlook. Instead, if I try to reply, it would send the message to Blackboard instead of the student. It's a minor inconvenience to either log into Blackboard and message the student back, or look up their university email to reply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth taking the time to learn the many features since Blackboard lets you do a lot of thing that are useful in teaching a class. Once you learn the organization on the home page, it's easy to find what you need.

I am able to post course material, communicate information to students, and post grades all in one place. Students find it easy to use.

"Solid"

What do you like best?

Blackboard makes it easy to teach online by allowing files to be uploaded as assignments and the ease of use of navigation. I especially like the « jump to » button when grading. This has helped me enormously. I think a template for online classes would be a good idea—it feels like there is a lot of leg work involved in creating basic course pages.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard can be confusing to use at the beginning. It feels like there are many possibilities with a lot of potential, but one isn’t sure how to go about implementing them. It requires a training session at the very least, months of use at the most.

I have been able to teach online and easily adapt my in-person course materials to online format. The format is more streamlined than canvas, which I appreciate. I like adjusting pictures and colors as well.

Blackboard review by Jessica T.
Jessica T.

"Not the Best Learning Tool Out there "

What do you like best?

I like that it's fairly generic and consistent for all the colleges that I have attended. I also like that it has a messenger built in.

What do you dislike?

It was incredibly confusing and not just at first but even after a while. I have been shown other programs that are comparable to Blackboard learn that are much more streamlined and less confusing. As a student using this program, there was actually a time when I missed a few assignments because I just could not wrap my head around this program. As an educator that uses it now, it's still quite confusing. Our company has actually switched to a different program because of the uneasiness and everyone I have spoken with is much happier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend looking at all your options and being thorough. If you feel like this will help your students and staff succeed then I am happy. It does have good qualities, it just wasn't the program for us.

It supposed to make online learning easier, however, I find it confusing and so did other staff and students.

Blackboard review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Quick, Painless, Simple"

What do you like best?

The app is fluid, no lag whatsoever. Simple menu options as well. The formatting tools in the text boxes are great, like having a mini Microsoft processor built in my submissions.

What do you dislike?

When I hit the back button on my phone, it exits the app vs. Going back to the previous page. The ability to create discussion boards is nice, but when you go into a certain discussion, getting back to the board takes 3 additional steps, the back button takes you elsewhere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program has come a long way since I First downloaded it. Nothing really to recommend, this is a great way to check your online grades and assignments.

This is a great way to have students interact with each other, email anonymously, and share ideas via the discussion board. The idea and foundation are there but needs an overhaul of the functionality of the site, feels very early 2000's.

Blackboard review by Anisha J.
Anisha J.

"An year of using Blackboard"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the organized access to all course material. You have notifications for any new activity. The content is well divided in sections. I like the overall division of course work.

What do you dislike?

The site has a very jaded look. It feels like it’s an old website, which is in dire need of some upgrading. It is also pretty slow. And their app is terrible. I wouldn’t suggest getting the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite some of the drawbacks and it’s slow speed, it does help you in many ways so overall I would recommend it. However, if you know of a more sophisticated tool then definitely go for that instead.

It was mandatory for me to get blackboard because it was a school requirement. All our syllabus, readings, etc is uploaded on blackboard including our grades. For some courses, we also use the discussion board where all the students post content. However, I have now realized that there are many other features which I did not use because my school did not make use of them.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"Still Playing Catch Up to Canvas"

What do you like best?

- Modular content builder

- Has basic course tools

- Has a great community site for suggesting ideas, getting help and tips, etc.

- Our Customer Success Manager is great and seems to really care about our concerns.

- Settings are easier to get to than Moodle

- More course design flexibility than Moodle

- Some good LTI tools

What do you dislike?

Blakcboard Learn was one of few options for LMSs 10 or more years ago. A few others cropped up, but Bb Learn still dominated—until Canvas came along.

Blackboard Learn is still trying to catch up to Canvas. They're just now working on updates and features that Canvas had 4 or 5 years ago. Honestly, I think Bb Learn needs rebuilt from the ground up.

- Very little batch operations. Can't create/delete/copy/move multiple items.

- Little control over course design

- No persistent linking. Adding this would drastically improve the flexibility users would have designing courses.

- Settings aren't consistent across tools

- Video isn't quite integrated yet, though they're working on it

- No real peer review feature

- No real analytics for users, only system admins. This is important for instructors.

- Wish it had a more flat design instead of new pages for everything. It slows down the course navigation.

- Several features that aren't very useful. Some don't even work. There's a big portion of the features I've never used and will never use. It's bloated.

- Isn't as open with its API as Canvas

- Design in general is lack luster. Lots of blacks and whites and grays. Even with the new design updates it still looks like a tool that hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, I would look at Canvas first. There's a good reason people are migrating in droves from Bb Learn and other LMSs to Canvas. Canvas has been ahead of the curve for a few years now, and is only getting better. It's more flexible platform, with an open API that makes creating integrations for it much easier than with other platforms. It also has a great, active community working to improve the service and share tips.

Canvas is the only LMS that I've heard of where faculty report that they actually *like* using it. They don't consider it to be just a necessary evil, or something they use begrudgingly, they like working in it.

Blackboard Learn might work okay for you, but why choose an older platform that's still playing catch up to a newer platform, Canvas? Older doesn't mean it's better or has a more solid foundation. It was stagnate until Canvas came along lighting a fire under it. I don't see any benefits of Bb Learn over Canvas, but it will still work okay.

Creating online, flipped, and e-learning-enhanced courses. Though the Bb Learn community is shrinking (lots of migration to Canvas, some to Brightspace), still some good people pushing for system changes and helpful features. Bb's community site is a really nice space.

"BlackBoard Review"

What do you like best?

This software has really improved over the last few years to add more features (like blogs etc), be less buggy and add a good app interface. Used for the majority of courses I've taught. The grading interface has gotten much better and is a time-saving godsend. Also, it allows me to easily manage all of my courses. I am able to upload assignments, communicate with other students and instructors, and send mass emails to users.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike how confusing it can be sometimes. Text that is blue isn't always obvious that they are clickable links. Also, I dislike the Blackboard app and how it makes you sign in every time you want to login. It gets frustrating and annoying when I have to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best LMS software out there. Would definitely recommend it.

I use it at SJSU to help my students access their courses and submit their assignments. Makes it easier for us to get assignments and also is more eco-friendly. My TA also loves it.

Blackboard review by Sarah L.
Sarah L.

"Blackboard-- the cornerstone of my work"

What do you like best?

I like that Blackboard allows for online learning from near or far. I work for a distance education office in the US and we have students from all over the world enrolled in our courses.

What do you dislike?

It seems a little old school at times. Could be more modernized, maybe trying some different buttons to liven it up?

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a university that is looking to take courses online, Blackboard is 100% your best option. I used it when I was in college and now the University that I work for uses it.

We use Blackboard to allow students to earn a Masters or PhD while not having to be in the traditional classroom. Our students range from international students to military to stay at home parents and even business executives.

Blackboard review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Utilizing Blackboard in a University Setting"

What do you like best?

From a student perspective, Blackboard is an incredible way to view information on each class that you are taking in order to stay on top of things and succeed. The user interface makes it easy to navigate and find things like class documents, grades, and a built-in calendar.

From an instructor perspective, Blackboard is extremely intuitive and makes it simple to plan out a course and provide those attending with the information they leave in a scheduled fashion. This feature is my favorite because it allows everyone to be on the same page when it comes to a course plan.

What do you dislike?

There are times that I cannot get my notifications to clear regardless of how many times I dismiss them. Additionally, as a student I have utilized the Wiki feature of Blackboard learn, and I would love to see the implementation of a Wiki system that allows multiple users to edit at one time. My team and I would accidentally edit the document concurrently, resulting in a loss of changes for one or more people.

Outside of these small examples, I have not faced any other issues with Blackboard Learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard Learn is a great solution for educational institutions that are looking to provide an easy-to-use environment for both students and instructors.

Blackboard Learn has allowed me to be more organized overall, both as a student as an instructor. Specifically, information is easily accessible to those who I am instructing which allows for less confusion. Additionally, communication lines are made between students thanks to the availability of the email lists per class.

Blackboard review by Seth J.
Seth J.

"Functional, but Canvas is better"

What do you like best?

Fairly easy to use. Most tasks are straightforward. All classes look and function pretty much the same. The grade book, student communication, and file storage work as well as any other learning management systems I've used.

What do you dislike?

Not very customizable, as far as I could figure out. The quiz system was limited in the type of questions that could be deployed, mostly just multiple choice. It seemed like there was lots of downtime at critical periods of the year, which was the main reason we moved to Canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a better option, at least in my experience.

We used this as our learning management system until 2015, after which we switched to Canvas. Following a period of adjustment, I and most of my colleagues prefer Canvas. The quiz system in Canvas is much better, and after I figured out how to do it, the ability to customize Canvas to different roles is much greater.

Blackboard review by Gary V.
Gary V.

"Blackboard review as a student"

What do you like best?

I like that I can attach assignments and take quizzes from anywhere as long as I have access to the internet. Easy to follow instructions left by the professor. Messages come right to my inbox.

What do you dislike?

Not pleasing to the eye. Took a little longer than I would have liked to get used to the system. Had to have a TA work with me to get fully adjusted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great platform once you get used to the nuances. I don't know how many other programs are out there that offer a similar service, but it was nice to use as a student. Has an option for live chat so that way you can log-in and let the professor know that you were present during a class.

Makes it easier to interact with professors and TAs. I like that you can time stamp the assignments and quizzes so you know exactly when something was turned in or completed.

Blackboard review by John M.
John M.

"Bb tries to do a lot of things, which sometimes limits its flexibility"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is ubiquitous in the educational environment so a lot of vendors write their products for integration within it. I'm using the LTI with some apps and that seems fairly straightforward.

What do you dislike?

It's somewhat the flip-side of being big. It does make it hard to switch to another LMS if something major arises that is not to your liking and isn't resolved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Realize that switching to another LMS isn't that easy, so be sure this does what you want and will grow with you. As one of the largest LMS vendors, it tries to be all things to all people, which is inherent with shortcomings. Our school of medicine went with a different LMS, which isn't an indictment of Blackboard. It just means certain other products might be more closely tailored to your needs.

It's a university-wide installation that serves a number of stakeholders. Primarily, it's the way instructors and students interface online. It allows flexibility in assignments and adding in A/V materials. Since it's cloud-based, it relieves admins of locally troubleshooting balky components.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"We use a customized blackboard page for academic classes and other instructional material."

What do you like best?

My favorite part about the blackboard system is the access to instructional material that it provides. Our university recently switched management systems from TimeClockPlus to Workday and there have been quite a few hiccups as a result. However, I was added to a Finance and Business Concierge organization on the page and they regularly upload videos and written material on how to carry out certain processes. This is convenient because they are able to upload content to multiple users simultaneously rather than attempting to send out the many many items via email.

What do you dislike?

My biggest problem with Blackboard is the difficulty in navigating the system. While the notifications screen is quite simple, every other page is confusing when it comes to getting where you need to go. It will be three or four clicks before you even get to a class homepage and three or four more to submit or upload a document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering using Blackboard, I would suggest that you not try to use it beyond its capability. It is an excellent tool for spreading information to large groups of people but is not so useful as an interactive platform.

The largest benefit of blackboard is the the ability to create groups. This allows certain offices to ensure that information is widespread and reaches all professional staff employees in a timely manner. All you need is an internet connection and you are set in regards to what you need to know.

Blackboard review by Aleese G.
Aleese G.

"Easy Tool to Use"

What do you like best?

There is no tutorial needed to learn how to use it. It is fairly simple and easy to use. There is a way that you can display all of the different documents that makes it easy for students to navigate as well as a grade book that you can update and the students can see in their own home.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes folders do not load correctly causing confusing for students and professors alike. Sometimes the grading methods are different from professor to professor and this can cause confusing for some of the students, so if there was a space above grade book to explain scale that would also be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using this product can help you with simple questions students may have as well as making it to where less students come by your office because of a need for documents

You can easily post grades, documents, and quizzes for all of your students to see and access at any given point.

"Best LMS System"

What do you like best?

Blackboard has a variety of features that will allow educators to improve learner engagement. What I like most being an advisor is the collaboartion suite that keeps my learners connected. It is a central location where I can keep track of and control all activities going on, whether they be educational, career coaching based, or just resources and tools that will help my students reach their potential.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult for my students to navigate. The most common complaint from my students associated with Blackboard is that they never know where anything is. While there are specific tabs and folders, each instructor has the ability to do store information in a different manner or under different tabs.

Blackboard is where our students access their online courses, it is where we store our career information, webinars, resources, etc. It is excellent for social learning - our online students often feel disconnected and the discussion board is where we can engage with them and collaborate.

"BlackBoard Review"

What do you like best?

Blackboard cuts unnecessary paperwork out of the classroom environment which not only makes it a green solution, but also one that helps busy students who are prone to lose or misplace important documents. Also, the task of building online course for most colleges and institutions can be really time consuming. Blackboard provides administrators with a robust set of tools to quickly copy over existing courses or even make new ones from scratch.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes logging in and out was a little buggy, but other than that everything was good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you use blackboard, it is really hard to switch to any other software. Would definitely recommend it to all the professors and institutes reading this.

I use it at SJSU as a TA to help my students access their courses and login to see their grades and submit their assignments. Cuts a lot of paperwork and helps students do their work from their home. A great tool.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

I like being able to post grades so students can see them in real time. I also like that I can post content rather than making copies of printouts. The announcements feature is also beneficial for communicating with students. Additionally, I am able to copy course content, so once I have taught a course, I can use the same materials again and add to them or change them if necessary. Also, it has proved very benificial to all my students and my colleagues.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of that I dislike is the fact that there is a lot of maintenance during times that I need to access classroom content. If this construction could take place during less eventful hours, such as during the overnight hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend it to people in the education department. It is a great application for managing your class.

I use it at Rice University to help my students access their courses, submit their assignments and view their grades. Makes my work easier.

Blackboard review by Stacey U.
Stacey U.

"Blackboard fulfills a need"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Blackboard course shells can be created not only for academic courses at the university, but for departments to use to collaborate on content.

What do you dislike?

I don't believe Blackboard is the most user-friendly environment ever. It seems like everything is a bit convoluted and "one off" instead of being more intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just know it's not the most user-friendly, but it's okay. They have a lot of great training modules, so that's a plus.

Course shells can be repositories of information that all parties need access to, which is a big plus. It gives us all a place to go to access combined and collaborative information and that saves a lot of time.

"BlackBoard Review"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how easy it is to access important class information, all in one place. In addition, it is quite easy to post class materials, such as a syllabus and PowerPoint presentations. Also, my students tell me that it is also very easy to make groups on blackboard making it easier for them to share files and chat with each other.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like about BB is that there is a lot of maintenance during times that I need to access classroom content. Also, it makes it really tough for me to grade assignments when there is a deadline for the submission of grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is the best software out there for managing classes at Universities. A great product and would definitely recommend it.

I use it Cal Poly to help my students at the introductory class to access their courses and submit their assignments online.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

BlackBoard is very user-friendly for both faculty and students. Also, it can be accessed both on and off campus, and from a mobile phone too.

Also, Grading is really easy and can be done BlackBoard, without me having to download the submitted assignment. This saves time. Also, one more important aspect is that you can check for plagiarism through one of the options offered for assignment submission.

What do you dislike?

The interface needs to change drastically because right now it's a bit wonky in terms of formatting and using links for discussion board posts. Has the feel of a very old forum thread -- like fifteen years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Literally the best software in terms of price and user interface. You might want to also checkout moodle but this is better than that.

I use it at UNT to help students access their courses and submit assignments. Also, I use it for surveys needed from students.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Has many useful features"

What do you like best?

I like being able to post grades so students can see them in real time. I also like that I can post content rather than making copies of printouts. The announcements feature is also beneficial for communicating with students. Additionally, I am able to copy course content, so once I have taught a course, I can use the same materials again and add to them or change them if necessary. Students like being able to log on and see their graded essays, which I grade within the Blackboard system. I also require students to use Safe Assign when they turn in a research paper. This practice reduces plagiarism issues.

What do you dislike?

It takes quite awhile and several steps to assign a course within the LMS (i.e. Cengage Learning). Several trainings were offered to support faculty with this process, but it is still tedious and time-consuming every semester.

Students do not like to use the app because it does not allow them to view certain features such as assignments and grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Attend training sessions if you need a refresher course on setting up certain areas in Blackboard. After the first semester, it becomes easier to use.

n/a--I am using Blackboard for teaching English composition courses.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

You can manage all course-related things in one place and give access permissions to TA and students. Also, Blackboard has great formatting. It organizes all the classes in a well-presented manner. Taking a quiz on the blackboard is very easy. Sorting through assignments and finding students to communicate also works very well. This eases out the student's work.

What do you dislike?

I found the interface to be a little busy. When compared to "Canvas" I thought Canvas was a little easier to use. The discussion board option is a little awkward in how the conversations flow. I suppose this could be improved down the road.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend. Also, the mobile app is pretty good too, So definitely go for it if you want to implement it in your university.

I use it ASU to help students access their class information and see their grades and take quizzes. Have been using it for almost 4 years now.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"Highly recommend for an online program"

What do you like best?

I would not have been able to complete my master's degree (on top of having a full-time job and a family) if it weren't for Blackboard. Our online program used Blackboard Collaborate which allowed the class to be online together in an online room. In this virtual classroom, our professor would record herself and we would be able to share our computer screen with her and the rest of the class to show class presentations, group work, homework etc. We could also break out into small groups and work on projects together...but then come back to the main classroom. The chat features allowed us to "be away" for a few minutes (which I usually used to put my little ones to bed!), I owe my master's degree to Blackboard!

For business use, we use Blackboard to create small, secure groups to share docs. For example, I have been on numerous selection committees for jobs and we used Blackboard to post resumes, share notes from the interviews, and share our schedules for interviews.

What do you dislike?

There was not much I disliked...if I could say one thing that could be improved is the user friendliness...but after a little training, the class/group was perfectly fine using the software.

From a business point of view, Blackboard would be a great tool to have a virtual classroom or boardroom. As I mentioned, we use Blackboard a lot when we collaborate with other offices. Sharing confidential docs is a great use of the tool because only people in that group can see the docs.

Blackboard review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Blackboard makes my online classes seamless"

What do you like best?

I like how Blackboard is organized. I like how my professors can break our lesson content down into different modules. I like that the lesson content sits side by side with my assignments. It makes it easy to have everything in one place. And it helps me stay on top of everything to avoid missing a deadline!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like are the aesthetics. It is a bit bare-bones and industrial looking. But it functions just fine for what I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to give it a try! I think you'll be happy with how it streamlines and organizes all the content.

I like the benefit of having my course content, assignments, and grades all in one place. It makes it so much easier to have a one-stop-shop for all the things we need, rather than sending students around to different locations online.

Blackboard review by Gabriel S.
Gabriel S.

"My Blackboard Experience"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how easy it is to access important class information, all in one place. In addition, it is quite easy to post class materials, such as a syllabus and PowerPoint presentations. Moreover, my students find this application to be the most appealing way to distribute information to one another, as well as learn about specific classroom announcements.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software program is the most efficient way to share important classroom information between professors, students, as well as others involved in contributing to the classroom. It is easy to use and contains all the resources necessary to implement a successful class.

We are making it easier to communicate with students and professors. Important information is easily accessible to teachers and students, and announcements can be made in regard to important classroom events.

Blackboard review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

At times it can be tricky to set up things like group page, but I have found that our BlackBoard technical services have always been able to walk me through anything I'm having trouble with. Also, sometimes difficult reality is that "upgrades" often take place which shuts down access to BlackBoard mostly during 12:00 AM which is the prime time for students to submit their grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is one of the best software out there to use for online coursework.

I use it with my classes to make an online portal for students to submit their assignments and get grades for their classes.

Blackboard review by Zachary H.
Zachary H.

"It's the standard for most universities, right?"

What do you like best?

You can do a lot with Blackboard, and a big reason for that is because Blackboard isn't trying to do EVERYTHING or entirely replace in-class activities. It can be a useful place to store course files, host course discussions, grading, you name it.

What do you dislike?

It's a big wonky in terms of formatting and using links for discussion board posts. Has the feel of a very old forum thread -- like fifteen years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. But do play around with it before you unleash it upon your course. You need to know how it works and how to make things accessible for different types of course participants, such as teach assistants and students (and instructors), so that it does not come back to bite you in the butt, when students start to gripe about not being able to submit assignments or find readings.

We've solved the problem of getting students to demonstrate, before class, that they've done readings and for instructors to be able to come to the class meeting with student commentary in hand.

Blackboard review by Allison Y.
Allison Y.

"No too bad of a program have recently made quite a few changes that help"

What do you like best?

I like that you can view all of the course at once in a very easy format so it is easy to switch from on to the other when uploading or adding information/submitting discussions. Also makes for utilizing the system for online classes much more feasible.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit distracting with the number of features that show up and make it convoluted to find what you are looking for. Could somehow streamline some of the other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Streamline some of the additional features to make the homepage less busy and distracting. Doing so will help with the ease of use for both student and professor so as to not lose track of the important features or so people are able to follow when things are due and where to upload information.

Utilized as a way to distribute information to students about what is going on in course as well as provide a platform for questions asked and ways to interact with students in real time even if it isn't during the course timeslot.

"Basic and Functional"

What do you like best?

I think one of the main benefits of Blackboard is that it's been around for a long time, so many people have used it and are used to it. Some of the faculty at the university I work at have been using Blackboard since it came online, and thus they are very familiar with it in a way that they may not ever be with other, newer technologies. For this reason I think it's very functional for a wide variety of users.

What do you dislike?

Despite recent updates, I don't think it's as slick or professional looking as some of the other similar user interfaces. It still feels a bit dated, despite its newer appearance. This doesn't put me off because I've been using Blackboard for almost 15 years, but I can imagine when you're using it with students in higher education or with newer employees, it may feel rather "old school" for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't know if I'd say definitively that Blackboard is "headed in the right direction" because I'm not sure it's exactly headed anywhere. It doesn't seem to be changing and adapting by adding a bunch of new features, but on the other hand I don't think it needs to.

It's easy to customize for each individual's login, so they're not seeing a bunch of extraneous general information that may not be useful to them. This makes the interface feel clean and easy to navigate.

Blackboard review by Fiona S.
Fiona S.

"Academic staple"

What do you like best?

This software has really improved over the last few years to add more features (like blogs etc), be less buggy and add a good app interface. Used for the majority of courses I've taught. The grading interface has gotten much better and is a time saving godsend.

What do you dislike?

The interface contains so many features that it can be hard to find what you're looking for at times. Toggling back and forth between features can still be a little clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The industry standard go to for managing quizzes, grading and content for large undergraduate classes. Caveat is that I am unsure of the cost-effectiveness for smaller universities/colleges- as larger places will presumably use a large institutional license.

As a way of managing large classes, and especially for submitting homework, grading and administering quizzes, it's the best option I know of. Nice to have everything in one place- having TAs and students manage multiple accounts for different softwares wastes a huge amount of time trouble shooting.

Blackboard review by Khaled K.
Khaled K.

"Good experience "

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

There are amazing features that users can use but it is hard for the users to know that these features are there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that it is a very good tool. However, to make the best use of it a training session for users has to be conducted.

I thought a course in the university. I can have all the assignments submitted in one place so that I can double check the grading policy of the TA. I post all course related things in Black Board, make all the announcement, submit all the grades.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Not the most robust, but gets the job done"

What do you like best?

The user interface is fairly clean and easy to navigate. Courses are very customizable, giving instructors control over the look of their courses. Uploading files is easy.

What do you dislike?

While the tools available work for most instructors, our more advanced instructors cannot do everything they want to in this system. This includes immediate feedback within tests (prior to submission), guided/branched lessons, and mathematical/statistical symbol editing (it's clunky).

Assignments cannot be copied independently (have to also copy the grade center).

Announcement emails cannot be scheduled (announcements can be scheduled but the email sends right away).

Tests are cumbersome to create.

The WYSIWYG text editor is still buggy sometimes, and most of my instructors aren't comfortable tweaking the HTML to fix it.

Course reports aren't always accurate, making it more difficult to track users.

We use Blackboard to host our online, hybrid, and face-to-face course materials. Our uses range from simple file-sharing to fully interactive online courses.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"Great Product for Educational Purposes"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows me to easily manage all of my courses. I am able to upload assignments, communicate with other students and instructors, and send mass emails to users. I have used this software at four different institutions, and the continuity throughout the system regardless of institution allows undergraduate, graduate, and professional students to seamlessly adjust at different institutions.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I don't like about Blackboard. The Live Sessions feature can be a little wonky at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is a great resource, especially for university/college students, staff, and faculty. The system allows faculty to monitor student interaction, track grades, and interact with students virtually. Staff can use the system to create groups, provide training modules, and take quizzes. Students can email their classmates through the system to organize study groups.

From a staff perspective, I am able to provide training sessions through Blackboard.

Blackboard review by User in Internet

"Useful Tool for Course Management "

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows students to stay up-to-date on their course requirements. It is a great way to download lectures, take online quizzes/tests, participate in group discussions, and submit assignments. Most importantly, students are able to see the work they have submitted and current grade. I also like the ability to see the average of a particular exam, so you know how you compare to the rest of the students in your course.

What do you dislike?

As with many tools, not all tools/functionality in the Blackboard system are utilized with each course. Because the lecturer/professor can customize their course landing page, it does take some adjusting when looking at different courses. Also, the homepage does get cluttered, so it would be nice to be able to quickly and permanently hide tools, announcements, etc. that are not needed. It would also be nice if the "My Grade" section automatically calculated the overall course grade given the weight that had been designed for each assignment (quizzes worth 10% of overall grade, homework worth 25%, etc.).

Engaging with Blackboard is typically a requirement for my courses. It is very helpful to be able to upload assignments and also take online quizzes/tests. Also, lecturer/professors are busy people, so having all necessary paperwork loaded on the site is very helpful so you do not need to email them about the syllabus, PowerPoints, notes, review sheets, etc. In addition it is key to have instructor notifications emailed to me based on my settings so I was informed of changes to due dates and other documents available ASAP.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"Blackboard is a must for my college course work and communication"

What do you like best?

I like that I can log in and see all the classes I am taking on the main screen. Announcements appear under each class so I can quickly see if there is any important information. Test taking and home submission also make this a very useful tool.

What do you dislike?

There are only a couple of things that I have noticed especially at my university. mainly the fact that some of my classes do not get archived after the end of the semester. Some of the classes are not very organized and finding information is difficult sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful tool for classes. Easy to take tests and to submit homework assignments.

In addition to being a student, I also work for my university. My employer uses Blackboard to organize training on certain aspects of my job. Currently we have training videos in a special section for us to watch.

Blackboard review by Camilla A.
Camilla A.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a great place to integrate courses. It is easy to handle. It is easy to submit assignments through it and is also easy to grade them. I like that it reminds you of the content that's due soon as well.

What do you dislike?

Incompatible in the app version with my phone. It doesn't work well on a lot of browsers. It freezes/crashes a lot on phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using blackboard.

For tutoring purposes and for classroom management. It is very easy to access by everyone, which is probably something that I love the most. It has definitely helped me be more organized.

Blackboard review by Christian R.
Christian R.

"My love/hate relationship with this product"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a highly complete LMS. It can do pretty much anything you want and lets you customize the system to suit your teaching style, communication requirements, and grading criteria. As an instructor, I use it to send announcements, post weekly online reading quizzes, foster communication with students, post lecture slides, labs, useful links, and keep track of grades and student progress. It's pretty much "one-stop shopping" for my educational needs.

Another thing I like about it is its support for third-party integrations that allow best of breed products to pick up where Bb leaves off. I use the TurningPoint clicker in my classroom and their integration permits a seamless student registration experience.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard suffers from some serious design and usability problems. It's obvious they put a lot of effort into making it easy to use, but it seems they've missed the mark in several key areas. I'm sure that a complete redesign and UX upgrade would be an expensive undertaking but it would be well worth it if they want to dominate in the LMS space.

Another problem I have with Bb is that it tries to be all things to all educators and institutions. The result is a fragmented software package that feels over-featured at times and doesn't seem to do any one particular thing well. I realize that that's not the case, but I think Bb would benefit from deprecating features. That said, it does allow me to hide features from students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've never been able to use another LMS so I'm afraid I don't have anything to compare Bb to. I will say that it's very complete in its capabilities, and worth the learning curve.

Keeping students up to date on class announcements, posting slides, syllabi, labs, and grades. The biggest benefit is that it's a centralized location to keep all class-related information. Since I don't like the idea of fragmenting my students' experience by sending them to different apps for different purposes, I appreciate Bb's consolidation. I just wish it did the job a little more elegantly.

Blackboard review by Kanisk C.
Kanisk C.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, having everything together in one place. The sections are easy to navigate and blackboard gives users options to centralize everything- organization (calendar), testing (quizzes), and information (documents, slides) regarding lectures.

What do you dislike?

The notification system could be better, and keeping track of the scores you receive for each subject could also be more organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the predominant student hub being utilized by colleges across Ontario. I highly recommend!

Can have a full class of 1000 students receiving information as it comes, keeping up to date and take in quizzes and other quick tests without the hassle of going over to another system.

Blackboard review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Blackboard Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

Blackboard has many good uses. For me, I enjoy being able to submit assignments and develop quizzes that can be completed through the program. I also like how the program puts everything thing you need in one location for each class, including calendars, notes from teachers, direct access to email to teachers and other students, grades, video, audio, and specific assignments.

What do you dislike?

I am sure they are working on getting the glitches out, but the system is often having do go down for updates on a regular basis. I also dislike how the system can be very sensitive at times and if you accidentally click off of an assessment or lose internet connection, you have to get the test restarted.

This program helps to put everything in one location. It also helps to eliminate the use of many sheets of paper and it helps to eliminate unnecessary meetings for one on one meetings.

Blackboard review by Katherine H.
Katherine H.

"Useful for managing classroooms, but functionality can get clunky"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows teach and student view, to allow the teacher to view the website and access as a student. It provides one place for messaging, grades, and assignments. It lets you create subgroups to further divide a class. It produces grade reports and statistics. Almost everything is customizable if you want it to be.

What do you dislike?

In order to use some of the more advanced features it can take some searching in the menus. There is definitely a learning curve to creating and posting assignments or quizzes, as well as accessing the specific views for grades and class performance. Often, there are many features an average professor will not need to access, and it can weight down the software but just adding to menus and screens you must wade through to find what you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to use blackboard a lot, for multiple classes it is worth suffering the learning curve of where things are at and how to do them efficiently.

I've used blackboard to run and manage undergraduate classes. It has given me an easy way to create weekly quizzes within the software and administer them to the students. In very large classes, blackboard has been helpful to keep track of students and monitor their progress in the class. I have also used blackboard as a student.

Blackboard review by Mariann H.
Mariann H.

"Support Robust Teaching & Learning with Veteran LMS"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a well-established learning management system with a long history of commitment to teaching & learning. The LMS offers a wide range of features and tools to support personalized learning and customized delivery of content, communication, and assessment.

What do you dislike?

The interface is starting to show its age and sometimes it take a few extra clicks (vs. drag/drop) to get things done. Data isn't always accessible without the right tools to query or license to extract. However, recent roadmap presentations reveal some promising developments

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak often with your Customer Success Advocate, who is there to help ensure your institution benefits from all the resources, tools, and services associated with your contract and the Blackboard community at large. Take or teach a class that uses Blackboard and understand the role of the LMS in ensuring student success. Join your local Blackboard Users Group and ask questions, get feedback, and network with others in the community. Don't be afraid to open tickets or ask other Blackboard users for ideas and support.

We're reducing our need to print out class materials by going green and posting documents in course shells. We're also meeting a parking problem by offering hybrid courses so classes can share physical space. Finally, we're reaching out to students who want to go to our campus, but can't because it's too far away, by offering online classes. Blackboard site is hosted, so we are benefiting from a very stable environment.

Blackboard review by Jamie D.
Jamie D.

"Good LMS for Education"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a complete LMS that is best suited for traditional educational institutions... mainly higher ed. They system supports most types of eLearning content and activities and offers several options for grading, social interaction, and system integration.

What do you dislike?

I believe Blackboard has become a bit bloated over its years on the market and can be less intuitive than some of the newer LMS options. Many of the instructors that I worked with had a difficult time learning to use the system, even if they had prior knowledge of working with an LMS. I do not believe this issue is as relevant from the student side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is the BIG name in the LMS space for institutional education, so it is more than likely on your radar. It might be the perfect fit, but make sure to evaluate it against some of the newer LMS solutions out there to see how it stacks up.

Blackboard supported online and hybrid learning for the college. It was accessible from anywhere and allowed students to participate outside of a traditional classroom. It also allowed for the collection of grades at the end of each semester.

Blackboard review by Louis C.
Louis C.

"Great Facilitator For Online Learning"

What do you like best?

Blackboard has great formatting. It organizes all the classes in a well-presented manner. Taking a quiz on blackboard is very easy. Sorting through assignments and finding students to communicate also works very well.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth looking into, however also Check out Canvas.

Definitely brings together a great amount of information into a great environment. The more the administrators put into it, the more you can benefit. When a professor really put a lot of time into their side of Blackboard, the users can greatly benefit from their time. Like any system, its all about how much effort is put into it configuring it.

Blackboard review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Good basic classroom option"

What do you like best?

I like that I can prep multiple pages, skip between pages, hide pages, and show pages as I want. I like that I can take a "picture" of anything on my desktop or online to immediately pull into my classroom. I also like utilizing the screen sharing tool as needed.

What do you dislike?

Although the screen sharing tool is nice, there can be quite the lag in what I'm sharing if the other person's computer or internet is not ideal. There are "glitches" at times where my camera, which has worked for several hours, suddenly won't work if I turn if off and then on again. I have to restart my entire computer to make it work, and Blackboard sends an error message to itself.

I use Blackboard to provide online therapy to students and to meet with team members and students' parents. It's a great way to video conference multiple people at once and share things in real time.

Blackboard review by Loreli S.
Loreli S.

"Blackboard"

What do you like best?

I like the organization of Blackboard, the setting options that are available for discussion boards, and the ability to add LTI's to your course. You are also able to manipulate the color scheme of Blackboard to customize it and make it fit with your organization. There is a date management tool that allows you to change all of the dates in the course with one click, instead of having to individually change all dates for assignments/quizzes/activities.

What do you dislike?

There is a LOT going on with Blackboard, so sometimes things aren't easy to find or locate. Sometimes you have to manipulate activities in a way in order to make them work correctly. It is also hard to track user activity. We've had experiences where the only way we could test something/or check out a situation is logging in as a specific student. We don't have these permissions with Blackboard. This may be due to the administration rights provided by the school, but I am not positive. Another thing is that sometimes odd things will happen in Blackboard courses, that don't happen in other blackboard courses (when we copy content from one course to another) and it's difficult to figure out the reason why.

We are bringing online education to schools with Blackboard. The benefit is that it is simple to learn and to use, and generally simple to teach to others. Students seem to be able to navigate Blackboard simply, and you can change the name of links to help them know exactly where to go. Blackboard allows a lot of customization that helps organize the course and enhance the learning experience.

Blackboard review by John D.
John D.

"Fine for the most part; still working out bugs"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows fast, interactive communication with students. In addition, it facilitates lively discussion over course material via blogs, journals, discussion boards, and forums.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes content is hard for students to locate, even with explicit instruction. The dashboard does not organically lead students to the most important content -- the instructor has to be very particular when giving students directions for Blackboard tasks, or else they won't find it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore Canvas, as well. It has all the same features with fewer glitches. The interface is also more user-friendly and 21st Century.

Once students are acclimated with its interface, BB becomes their preferred mode of communication. It eliminates the he said/she said arguing that can sometimes plague professors. Likewise, the students will sometimes communicate institutional feedback through this tool that can be used to supplement surveys.

Blackboard review by Bethany B.
Bethany B.

"Blackboard excellent for all your class needs"

What do you like best?

Blackboard offers a wide range of options for the educational sector, including customized pages for each class, the ability to duplicate an entire class' page (if you have multiple sections for the same class), and the ability to have students submit their work via SafeAssign.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard is still mostly html-based, and therefore does not have as many smooth edges as other software programs. It has a limited number of options for fonts, graphics, and other visuals. However, it is sufficient enough to get the job done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for universities to use for all their educational needs, particularly classes, faculty/staff senates, etc.

Blackboard enables professors to communicate with their students using one platform. Plus, it interfaces with the SSO of our other software systems, which enables students to have one username and password for all of the systems they interact with.

Blackboard review by Internal Consultant in Higher Education
Internal Consultant in Higher Education

"Blackboard Learn - Stable, but for how long?"

What do you like best?

We have been using Blackboard Learn 9.1 for so long that it's like a familiar friend. Updates fix bugs and may roll out small updates, but there are no major changes. It does what it is supposed to do (for the most part).

What do you dislike?

I don't see Blackboard's Classic Learn environment competing with the newer learning management systems indefinitely. It's stuck in the past, and some features have needed a revamp for so long. The discussion board and grade book could use updating. A usable mobile instructor app is still not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd wait to see how Blackboard Ultra pans out. There is a movement to go to Canvas or Brightspace, but Canvas is still missing items, and may not be as accessible as Blackboard or other products that have been in the marketplace longer.

We use Blackboard for every single one of our college courses. It helps deliver basic information such as syllabi and instructor information to all students.

Blackboard review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Blackboard useful tool for instructors"

What do you like best?

I like that Blackboard shelves can be created easily and with very little design skills. I use Blackboard to deliver information and documents to students through this platform. I am able to upload documents, as well as pictures and flyers in a range of file types.

What do you dislike?

I have always had an issue creating new folders in the "Files" section. For example, when I tried to upload a poster for an event once, I couldn't open the actual file to place it within the corresponding folder. I still have been unable to find out if it has to do with my browser, my computer, or the actual Blackboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is an excellent tool for universities to provide for both educators and students. It facilitates the delivery of learning materials in various modes, such as videos, images, and documents. It allows students to work independently on many learning activities.

I am solving content delivery to students/clients. In my case, I deliver learning resources that include a variety of files, images, and videos to assist with writing development. Students are able to access these documents independently on their end, which helps free up the writing consultants' time to help more dependent students.

Blackboard review by User in Sporting Goods
User in Sporting Goods

"Great interface...when it works."

What do you like best?

The user interface is great. It's easy to work with, very user friendly, and has a number of tools that make it easier for the student to communicate with the instructor or vice versa. Being able to directly submit documents or assignments on the site makes it easy for instructors to keep track of assignments and easy for students to upload them all to one central location.

What do you dislike?

From my experience there seems to be a lot of bugs within the system. Instructors would swear up and down 'x-assignment' was posted, yet it never appeared in the dashboard or anywhere on the class. This caused problems, as sometimes only one or a handful of students would experience this. This made it difficult for the instructor to discern between who was being truthful and who wasn't.

Secondly, my biggest complaint would be glitches in the exam/quiz taking feature of Blackboard. While it worked more often then not, there were instances where I was not able to complete an exam or quiz and receive a 0 on the assignment. There were times it would simply boot me from the exam or quiz with no explanation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not bad, but I feel it's far from the best. Instructors should be willing to be flexible when bugs are present.

The problem solved is it provides a central location for students and instructors to communicate. This makes it easy for instructors with multiple classes and hundreds of students as well as students with multiple classes.

Blackboard review by Sara A.
Sara A.

"Great learning experience with Blackboard."

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a great learning management system that provides competitive level quality and a variety of features compared to some of the similar programs on the market (e.g. D2L, Moodle, etc.)

What do you dislike?

Blackboard does not always work with Google Chrome, but does it does seem to function consistently with Firefox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is easy to use if you have experience using other LMS. If you don't, it may take a little time to figure out/get used to...

Blackboard provides one space for me--the instructor--to collaborate with students. It houses organized areas for discussion boards, written assignments, the grade book, and more...

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"Customize-able with a lot of great student features"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Blackboard provides an easy way to interact with students. The messaging feature is helpful, and I can post various media in order to engage students in different ways.

What do you dislike?

The editing features can be a bit "clunky" and non-intuitive at times. I found it very helpful to have someone in our IT department give me one-on-one training in order to determine the best way to utilize this for my students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a lot of functionality with Blackboard, but do your research and go through trainings in order to use it to the full extent. A poorly constructed Blackboard site can be very frustrating for students.

I used Blackboard to communicate with students on probation and to provide resources in many different categories of student success. Students were able to use this as a one-stop-shop to get handouts, app/website recommendations, etc. to address issues of time management, study skills, self-care, etc.