Blackboard Learn

3.8

Blackboard Learn is a scalable, reliable foundation for a world-class learning experience. Our flexible learning platform enables you to extend online learning, increase engagement and optimize learning outcomes.

Work for Blackboard Learn?

Learning about Blackboard?

Blackboard Learn Reviews

Showing 562 Blackboard reviews
Blackboard review by Larry M.
Larry M.

"very flexible in accommodating varied needs, but counter intuitive and old-school"

What do you like best?

It is very flexible in letting you create your course structure and grading system. It allows you to set automated dates of deploying/concluding the course or you can go with the normal semester dates and forget about it. The concluded courses can be saved to the corporate drive or can be exported to your own archive. When you post announcements, it deploys instantaneously online and via email, and you can include a link to files that might pertain to the announcement.

What do you dislike?

It is counter-intuitive and has a sharp learning curve. No visual help is provided and feels old-school. Every time you want to activate the course and customize it, it's painful because over the year you tend to forget the path you must take, and it is a PATH, like digging through the multiple hierarchy settings of an old phone. It should be starring you in the face, in visual format, no in a tree-expanding format!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good choice, but there may more modern looking/easier to use alternatives out there. At any rate, if the price is right, this is a solid system.

Keeps the class well informed and you can share documents and various other files with the class. You can track how many users accessed the resources you provided.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Blackboard Learn
Blackboard review by Md. Jubaer Hossain P.
Md. Jubaer Hossain P.

"user friendly"

What do you like best?

I like the way how they are able to put together a lot of things in one single platform without messing things up. This web service is neat. Even the mobile app version is very user-friendly. You need very zero prior knowledge to get along with this tool. It is a great place to keep your students updated about their progress in their classes. I am a Ph.D. student working as a TA. I can check my progress on my graduate courses on Blackboard. At the same time, I can also manage the Labs that I am teaching. I can notify my students, manage their grades all on the same platform. Moreover, the security is very good in this tool.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about blackboard. However, they can improve the GUI on their Android app version. The downloadable version of the grade section can be improved as well. Whenever I try to download my students' grades on a spreadsheet, it gets a bit messy. But that can be excused.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good tool that can be used for academic purposes. I will highly recommend this product to all the Universities and College programs.

In the University of Arkansas, all enrolled students and faculties use Blackboard. This serves as a digital interface between the students and faculties. If a class gets cancelled, professors can notify students using Blackboard. The app version allows the students to get notifications instantly. Students can check their assessments using Blackboard. I normally use this platform to grade homework and lab reports of my students. They can submit their reports using blackboard as well.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Blackboard review by Nicolas H.
Nicolas H.

"A great user friendly "

What do you like best?

I have been using Blackboard for education since version 5. Blackboard do a lot of updates and improvement to product. I like that this learning management system is very useful friendly and straightforward to learn for both students and instructors . A lot of options for instructors to choose from like creating blogs , journals , wikis and discussions boards for students all in one place.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard do a lot of updates sometimes an update may create a bug and need another update to fix!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that survey their users for needs and then implement a trial period in order to reach a final decision if this is the right consideration for them.

Blackboard has been the solution of enrolling a large number of students in online courses . It has a good integration with registration software were students are automatically (may take up to 24hrs due to snapshot) enrolled in blackboard course shells after registration .

Blackboard review by Rosa N Kristo S.
Rosa N Kristo S.

"Easy Nagivation with Blackboard Learn for college"

What do you like best?

The best part of using a software such as Blackboard Learn, is being able to group all the courses into one website for easy and quick access.. It makes it easy for students to go to a course in Blackboard and have all the information a professor has in to review online instead of having the professor print any necessary information students need to know.

What do you dislike?

If you are new to using Blackboard Learn, it can be kind of confusing and difficult to navigate through and learn the basic of the tabs. Each professor creates and sorts their documents and other mataterials in different ways.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For professors that don't use Blackboard, it is a great and easy way to put all the course work in a file.

Sometimes there are problems with being in the middle of a quiz and the timer incorrectly running. IT is working on fixes for that.

Blackboard review by Nathan  R.
Nathan R.

"Jack of All Trades! (Master of None)"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is capable of many different functions. It's LTI compatible, works with many other external systems we have, and it has several internal tools. Faculty can create Discussion Boards, build wikis, host meetings within BB Collaborate Ultra. Blackboard can facilitate almost any idea faculty have for lessons within their courses.

What do you dislike?

What I like best about Blackboard is also what I see as it's biggest problem: its many functions. Yes, it does have discussion, but no one really wants to use it because it feels impersonal. (My university integrates YellowDig to fix this, which has a more appeal aesthetic because it feels more like most social media platforms) Since we don't really like most of the features, we end up integrating several LTI tools and Building Blocks. This proves to be costly. I know several people would like to switch to a different system, but too many people are content with Blackboard despite requiring us to buy extra tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wouldn't say that Blackboard is the worst option for LMS's. However, I would either find a different LMS or go with Blackboard Ultra. If you settle with vanilla Blackboard Learn, you may not be too happy with how your users respond to it. Therefore, you many end up adding/paying for several add-ons for the system. The add-ons work, I just wish that things like discussions, wikis, messaging, etc. were more intuitive and appealing to students. Not to be too mean, I do appreciate how easily other systems are able to work with Blackboard. We use ilos Video Platform, and we were able to link the two using Blackboards Mashups, SSO, and a new integration that allows instructors to link their quizzes from their ilos Videos into the Blackboard Grade Center. It's not the worst LMS; it's just not the best.

We're a public university, so we host almost all of our classes on Blackboard. It's nice being able to guide students to one centralize location for their courses. Additionally, my university hosts a rather large dual-degree with two international universities. Being able to leverage Blackboard's online space helps us keep enrollments up and problems down. I would say hosting our online courses is the greatest benefit of using Blackboard.

Blackboard review by Lauren W.
Lauren W.

"Blackboard Learn Reveiw "

What do you like best?

I like the many options for creating a variety of activities for students. I like that Blackboard makes it easy for instructors and admin to follow. Blackboard is a great platform for students of all ages. We cater a lot to older students because our program is all online and they have reported all good things. The classes are easy to use consistency in because everything is/ can be based on a template.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that accessibility is limited based on your role. I dislike that as an admin, I control almost all of Blackboard for my online faculty and they have to come to me to change anything. I do not like that Blackboard has glitches often.

We are using Blackboard learn to solve the problems of online learning. Blackboard has created a tremendous platform for students of all ages to use with ease.

Blackboard review by Megan F.
Megan F.

"Needs Some Updates"

What do you like best?

Blackboard has a lot of options for managing classes, organizations, training, etc. I think overall it has a lot to offer. For our students, it provides a lot of options to manage their classwork, set appointments with staff members, and see other organizations and class activities. Students can add their activities and student organizations in, to make it easier to send emails and create events. Staff can also use it to work through self-paced trainings and to find trainings to take.

What do you dislike?

It really has an outdated function and visual look. I used Blackboard in college almost 10 years ago and I feel as though it hasn't changed at all in it's appearance since then! I am not sure if that's because of the settings our college has it set on, but overall it just looks very out-dated. I think if Blackboard updated their look, such as better color schemes, more friendly links, etc., they'd be much more competitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard offers the ability to sync with other programs and widgets, such as Starfish. For our students, they not only can use Blackboard to manage classes, but they can also use it to make appointments with advisors and other individuals within the college.

I think it gives us a lot of options to offer our students, faculty, and staff. For faculty, it's easy to organize classes, manage grades, discussion boards, and tests. For staff, you can offer different trainings and manage organizations. For students, it provides "one stop shopping".

Blackboard review by Thomas C.
Thomas C.

"It works. That's about it"

What do you like best?

I like that blackboard has seemingly limitless features.

For a professor who is willing to put the hours into training and course building, it can be an amazing tool.

I would write more, but there's nothing more to write.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has so many features that new users would never figure out on their own. It is not especially user-friendly, and it is entirely horrid on mobile devices.

Blackboard can be, to a lazy professor, a great tool, because it is nearly impossible for them to build a really decent course without specific personal training.

Blackboard does not coordinate well across different devices, and is difficult for students to use unless they have the exact materials.

I wish Blackboard were easier to integrate into other popular learning platforms, such as Pearson MyLabs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, I would consider something else. Blackboard has a lot of work to do in order to catch up to 2018.

I would recommend, to all adopters, to have a very strong training program so that all users are aware of all features. Without this training, it would be nearly impossible to get your money's worth out of this platform. It is completely necessary to have good trainings in order to use BlackBoard's biggest strengths.

I use blackboard to build online courses and organize group work across our campus(es). I enjoy that it has a lot of features, though it is not especially easy to find all the features for a new used.

Blackboard review by Abigail W.
Abigail W.

"Could be better"

What do you like best?

I think blackboard has a lot of available assets like calendars, announcements, grades, quizzes, message board, etc. I did like having all my grades in one place. Taking quizzes within blackboard was always easy and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I think the organization of tools could have been done better. And because different professors use it differently, this made it less of a useful system. Another issue was you did not always see notifications unless you logged in. If I didn't have a reason to log in to Blackboard one day and something was posted without my knowledge, such as an assignment, I would not have known it was there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you choose to use Blackboard, try to have a consistent level of use across teacher, at least as much as possible.

Blackboard Learn was used to keep most aspects of classes in one place in an effort to keep things organized and easy to use.

Blackboard review by Chantal M.
Chantal M.

"Convenient Tool for Managing Classroom & Other Student Activities "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is pretty user-friendly. Our IT department uploads students to classes, so from the user perspective, it's simple to use. You can add test and exams for students to complete via multiple choice, and the system automatically grades them for you. They also have a great platform discussion board threads.

What do you dislike?

While our IT department does upload student users to classrooms, it can be hard to navigate when a student is not listed because they signed up for a course too late. I also wish there was an option for video chatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider using Blackboard if there is technical support at your institution or company that can support technical issues. Blackboard is great, but a part of my experience is due to the fact that I don't have to troubleshoot technical issues myself.

It helps manage students that are enrolled in online training programs or classes (online or in-person). It also helps with grading and seeing who has completed training requirements.

Blackboard review by Mounika C.
Mounika C.

"Collaboration between Teachers and Students."

What do you like best?

Blackboard beats the competition - hands down. I've used this software for over 3 years as a student as well as teaching assistant.

They constantly improve the software. It's very fluid. Grading is a breeze.

The interface is decently easy to use but you can miss some updates if you don't check it very often

.Likewise, it keeps my students in touch with me - and each other.

There are so many options for creating assignments, allowing students to view content, or interact with each other.

I love using Blackboard Learn.

The menus are clean and simple

Easy to navigate the menus, different screens and options

Saves time and energy than going to an actual classroom

love the ability to reach all of students or any subgroup in multiple ways.

For example, personalized announcement, group emails, meeting and grading in realtime, scheduling office hours, and getting notifications are just a few of the native services, and each can be customized.

I believe that blackboard is a good system, but it could use some improvement.

What do you dislike?

It is only as good as the instructor who sets it up.

blackboard is easy to use, but if the instructor is not computer savvy (or lazy) then you can have a difficult time using the software.

Maybe blackboard is harder to set up as an instructor than it is to use as a student

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard's ease of use has made Blackboard an everlasting tool at our school.

It's a great product! Finding all my grades were easily accessible.

Blackboard review by Taylor S.
Taylor S.

"Great software with complex capabilities. "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very easy to use for multiple functions. I am able to upload documents, sort them, customize the look and feel of my coursepage, add links, and update grades all in one place. I am also able to message students right in the platform. It's a very integrated platform that's easy to use and allows me to do multiple things in one, convenient place.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard's design is a bit outdated. The platform itself could look a little more modern. Also, I have experienced some technical glitches in the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this software. I have previously used other platforms such as Angel and this is by far the best.

Blackboard allows me to perform my job as a teacher with ease. It allows me to keep all of my course documents, assignments, grades, and everything else that I need in one place. It's also extremely customizable, so I can alter it to fit my needs.

Blackboard review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"The best educational tool for your students"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is user-friendly. Very flexible to post student material, announcements and even do exams online. You can easily assign different permission levels to faculty and students.

Weights can be added to exams and assignments, thus adding up to the full course grade.

Easy to navigate and compatible with any browser.

The application can easily be configured to connect to the LDAP. And it is mobile friendly!!

What do you dislike?

It is hard to mention weaknesses in the functionality of the application. I would suggest a more colorful interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe it is worth trying. i recommend educational institutions to contact blackboard and ask for a demo, as well as possible offers.

Blackboard eases the collaboration between student and teacher. Students can attend classes through BB collaborate tool. They can post their assignments and exams, add notes, do exams and get all these graded.

The answer key can be added to the BB exam for immediate correction and display of the grade after it is submitted.

Blackboard review by Joy P.
Joy P.

"Great place for course integration"

What do you like best?

What I love the most about blackboard is that it is so easy to put all your course content in one place. It is very easy to access as well. I love that it can tell you your grades, due dates of assignments and send reminds for assignments at a time as well. I can also easily manage my work-related documents and training on blackboard just by clicking on the organizations that I am a part of. I love you that you send mass email and make announcements for everyone to see it as well.

Overall, it is a great place to have all your course content in.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard does not work well on phones or on the app. I have had issues with submitting .zip files for my assignments as well, and it does not really incorporate videos properly.

It does not really have any exceptional features but it is a good place to have everything together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend you to check your blackboard often.

I use it to contact my students as their tutor, and I also use this for accessing my own courses. I go back to it frequently to keep a track of all my academic records and it is very helpful.

Blackboard review by Josh E.
Josh E.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

There are only a few features that I like about blackboard to be honest. It is good for classroom management, it gives you reminders for your upcoming assignments, and it is easy to create announcements on blackboard for your students. It is also quite popular ad the centralized education management system for the university, so everybody uses it.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things that I dislike about blackboard. To start with, it is filled with bugs! It does not work on my phone and a lot of my students have complained about that as well. The text boxes don't expand when you type which makes it hard to see what you are typing. It also has bad syllabus integration system which misleads a lot of students.

Frequently blackboard maintenance is required by the university, which prevents access to the entire website all day! The app for it is a horrible implementation as well! Definitely needs help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Personally, I'd choose Canvas.

I use it to upload course content for my students; I am their Teaching Assistant. I also use it to access my own courses. It is easy means of class management.

Blackboard review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"Very functional, but steeper learning curve. "

What do you like best?

It's efficient with few distractions once you figure out where to find what you need. I have used it only from the standpoint of a student, and until I figured out where the items needed were located, it was a confusing experience. However, once that is figured out, Blackboard Learn manages an online class as good or better than other software I have used, and especially better than the competitor made by Edmodo.

What do you dislike?

The software looks dated, and the forum function has no innovated features or design. The first time I used the software, the layout and the links were easily labeled or placed, and I felt like there was a steep learning curve to becoming efficient in the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple, efficient, gets the job done.

I am able to take part in virtual online book studies and professional development classes using Blackboard Learn.

Blackboard review by Caroline W.
Caroline W.

"Review for Blackboard"

What do you like best?

Blackboard does an excellent job at class management for my own courses at TAMU as well as to maintain my tutoring documentation, tutor training, and compliance training records. It is easy to look at submission deadlines and keep track of what's due in the future.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of things that I dislike about blackboard. It is VERY BUGGY. It does not work well on my android phones and I cannot even request for support services for help. It also auto-calculates the grades for my students for the tutoring assignments which does not match with my grading policy. This ends up giving them wrong information about their progress.

I constantly receive emails regarding phishing done on blackboard as well.

It also does not support extensions like .c or .zip or .tar files which, as a Computer Science student, I have to use a lot!

I would really like them to work on these features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can find some other classroom management app, then definitely go for it.

I use it to maintain my class records and job records. It is an alright website to keep track of the stuff you have due.

Blackboard review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"Blackboard Review"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a genius platform for classroom management, content listing and assignment submissions. I constantly use this to communicate with my students and update them about my lectures. It is very easy to create announcements, and assignment submissions.

The file sharing and discussion board panel are amazing features which make group collaboration very easy. I also love how it separately lists out the organizations where you work on campus so that it does not collide with your actual classes. It is a very organized website.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of bugs and does not work well at all on android or iOS platforms. The grading feature in it needs help as it does not integrate my grading criteria even when I try to set it up. Instead it ends up creating false grades which is very misleading for students. However, it still is an amazing tool for communication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use it for course management.

I use it to upload lecture notes and assignments and exams for my students for organic chemistry. It is generally a great means to have all the content in one place.

Blackboard review by Manisha B.
Manisha B.

"Best place to integrate everything!"

What do you like best?

As a student as well as a teaching assistant, I like blackboard in general. It is a best place for the professors and the students to communicate like the scores are uploaded, the grades are made visible as well as the assignments are made available to the students on blackboard. It can be even further changed to grant or deny permission according to their email addresses. The app version gives me notifications on the way when the assignment or any grades were posted on the blackboard for a particular subject. Interactive platform. Blackboard is great for providing a clear and organized view of all of the courses we take along with the work related training. It is easy to submit my work like assignments, projects, check deadlines as well on the course page and access course materials like pdfs, etc.It is also a great place to check our grades, progress and and stay updated with your progress in the course. It is definitely a required portal that every university must have for the students. It is good with IOS but the android version of the apps gives you lot of bugs or even gets frozen.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't support all types of files like .tar, .c, .gz etc. there are lot of issues with the app specially, when I access it through my phone as my screen is much smaller and options on the app seem to overlap. I also can't scroll through the menu options properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the desktop version and not the app.

Blackboard helps me solving the problem of submission of my assignments or other documents as compared to emails which are less reliable and can have spam issues. It helps us to have everything in an orderly manner.

Blackboard review by Priyanka S.
Priyanka S.

"review for blackboard"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is great for providing a clear and organized view of all of the courses we take along with the work related training. It is easy to submit assignments, check deadlines and access course material through it.

Blackboard also is a great place to check your grades and stay updated with your progress in the course. It is definitely a portal that every university must have.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard is very buggy! It does not open well on android platforms. There are a lot of phishing reports regarding blackboard as well.

I have also faced difficulties in submitting my .tar or .c files for assignments through blackboard just because it does not support the format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to use it on your laptop definitely, instead of the phones.

I have used this for my classes at university and for my workplace where I tutor. It definitely is beneficial in the sense that it provides you easy access to all your courses, but it definitely needs some work when it comes to the software.

Blackboard review by Saurya B.
Saurya B.

"Great platform to organize University courses"

What do you like best?

I like the convenience of having all my courses at the same place. It is definitely easier to manage and organize course materials and grades. Recently we had to give a presentation in class and everyone submitted the Power point on Blackboard. All we had to do was log in to our Blackboard accounts and access the PowerPoint. It was very convenient and fast. there was no hassle of emailing or having to bring a flash drive.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the website does not work well when I access it through my phone as the screen is smaller and buttons seem to overlap. I also can't scroll all the way properly. Another small thing I don't like is how it still says I have a notification even after I checked all my notifications. It makes me anxious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very convenient tool and they keep on updating their features and fixing their bugs which is making this product even more efficient.

Blackboard solves the problem of having to submit assignments or other documents through other medium such as email which is less reliable and can easily be hidden to sent to spam. The discussion section has helped us discuss our ideas efficiently and in an orderly manner.

Blackboard review by Stephanie R.
Stephanie R.

"Not As Good As It Could Be"

What do you like best?

I do like the ease of grading and posting.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the hoops I have to jump through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is certainly useful and it has a lot of neat options and benefits. I would definitely recommend using blackboard. Just make sure you get TRAINED! There is so much you can do with it, but if you don't know about it, you aren't using it to it's full ability. Look for free online videos or your organization to get training. I like that Blackboard tracks EVERY CORRESPONDENCE that is sent through BB. It certainly helps when you have students who are dishonest. I don't like that it isn't a more user-friendly interface, but I guess something with this much capability wouldn't be easy to make... well easy. THE BEST PART, you can copy your class into a new course! You can select what you want to move and what you don't, which means you aren't constantly starting from scratch!

This is an effective and efficient tool for teaching. I use the assessments, journals, discussion, video and media capabilities, and all sorts of tools. It makes teaching hybrid a breeze and organization of a class is so easy! I love the tools offered, the resources that are built in, and the way we can post announcements on Blackboard, like if there were a scary situation on campus, we could inform students through BB. It's good overall, but could use some updating and be made easier to use from the instructor side. The benefit is the ease of setting up, running a course, tracking information, and responding to students.

Blackboard review by Maike H.
Maike H.

"Adequate study/class tool, but there are better alternatives"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows students to look at their grades, obtain class materials, and submit homework assignments. I like that blackboard is intuitive and very simple to use. I have never had any issues downloading materials or uploading assignments. Also, the organization of class materials is easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

I have used both blackboard and canvas, and I prefer Canvas (another tool for class management) over Blackboard for the following reasons:

1. The canvas smartphone app makes it easy to check grades and announcements while on the go.There is no blackboard app.

2. In Canvas, you can message classmates to discuss class material, but this feature is absent in Blackboard.

Those are probably the largest drawbacks. Blackboard is a little more 'bare bones' than Canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is easy to use and reliable, making it a good choice for online learning. It is easy to download materials, look at grades, view important class announcements, and access the class syllabus. However, there are some drawbacks--students cannot message one another to discuss class material, and there is currently no phone app for Blackboard. Compared to other class management tools such as Canvas, blackboard is a bit more stripped down.

Blackboard has helped me with on-the-job training, as I need to submit assignments for work - related classes through blackboard. I have also obtained useful class materials through the blackboard interface. Overall, Blackboard has helped me to be more efficient in learning class material and submitting assignments. In addition, I am updated immediately when teachers post important class announcements through Blackboard.

Blackboard review by Patrick L.
Patrick L.

"University Course Organization Made Easy!"

What do you like best?

Blackboard Learn allows me to keep track off all my courses during a semester and have all the tools necessary I need to succeed. All course material, announcements, and assignments can be found on blackboard should your professor choose to use it as such. Being able to turn in assignments online and view grades is also very useful.

What do you dislike?

My main complaint about Blackboard is that in the past there would be a lot of connectivity issues. Often I would see Blackboard being down for both updates and unexpected occurrences. Always questioning whether the site would actually be accessible was always an important thing to consider, especially given time sensitive assignments. Professors would also often have trouble utilizing the site to get materials to their students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Blackboard as an option for an education platform. The Blackboard team has been constantly updating and improving their product, so I would definitely at least check it out.

Blackboard is great choice for any education focused business or for just universities/schools in general. Online resources are a great alternative to cutting back on paper usage and constantly having to prepare handouts for class. Blackboard saves both time and money for both professors and students!

Blackboard review by Travis M.
Travis M.

"Deliver quality classes online"

What do you like best?

Blackboard allows me to create online class portals that engage students in learning. The platform allows me to customize my classes to include a number of multimedia content options. Blackboard also allows me to grade and provide feedback to my students in an easy to use, timely format.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is some added features to the software. Specifically user data. I wish it was easier to obtain user data from the course. I also dont like that the format/color options are sometimes limited, however I am sure if I took the time I could learn to handle both of the issues.

Blackboard allows me to reach a larger number of students due to the online format. It also helps with the deliver of in-person classes because you can upload and maintain course content for students. It also saves time because I can administer tests and other assignments online and do not have to physically be anywhere.

Blackboard review by Ann C.
Ann C.

"BlackBoard for Online Coursework"

What do you like best?

BlackBoard is relatively user friendly for both faculty and students (from what I have heard from my own students.). It can be accessed both on and off campus, as well as on a cell phone with internet or tablet.

Grading can take place right on BlackBoard, without the user having to download the submitted assignment. This saves time and room on my desktop!

One really great feature is that you can check for plagiarism through one of the options offered for assignment submission. Student papers will be compared to their peers, as well as papers that have been submitted in the past, and I believe can be compared to published documents.

What do you dislike?

At times it can be tricky to set up things like group pages (for submitting and grading group assignments) or even personal pages (for individual students to submit files), but I have found that our BlackBoard technical services have always been able to walk me through anything I'm having trouble with. One other sometimes difficult reality is that "upgrades" often take place which shuts down access to BlackBoard; however, most times this occurs late at night or in the early hours of the morning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! The only other platform I've used is Moodle. When switching, Blackboard took some time to get used to, but overall, I do like it.

I haven't noticed any "business" problems with BlackBoard. I have been using it for over two years. Overall it is a support to student learning. I am able to post PowerPoints, reading assignments, journal prompts, discussion boards, and even send out group emails through BlackBoard.

Blackboard review by Jackie L.
Jackie L.

"A flexible online classroom!"

What do you like best?

Compared to other learning management systems, such as Canvas or eCollege, Blackboard seems to be the most customizable. With Blackboard, you're not obligated to format your course into modules. Modules can be very restricting depending on the content or flow of the class, so having the freedom to create an open style (non-modulated) is very beneficial.. Not only am I able to organize the course how I want, but there are always ways to customize the design and feel, plus there are a plethora of add on extensions that can be integrated into the course.

What do you dislike?

The internal e-mail systems has some hiccups. For one thing, it's not placed in an easy-to-access location on the page. In order to e-mail students, or groups of students, I have to click through a series of subfolders within the Course Management section. Likewise, when I send an e-mail through Blackboard, it doesn't default to also send me a copy. Unless the small checkbox is selected, there will not be any type of record that the e-mail was sent. Lastly, I wish there was a more detailed log about when students accessed the course...as it stands, you can only see when they last logged in. It would be nice to have a full record of their sign-ins in order to establish a pattern of time management.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dedicate a day to building a course from a blank shell. It's the best way to learn all of the tricks Blackboard can do, though there is an excellent library of support available online as well.

I'm in the business of higher education, so Blackboard provides me with a way to teacher students with online or hybrid content. The benefits are that I've formatted my course to not have a textbook, and instead provide all of the required materials directly in the course in the form of videos and PDFs. This saves students money!

Blackboard review by Ron B.
Ron B.

"Easy Uploading for First Time User"

What do you like best?

Now as a staff professor, I like that Blackboard still has the same basic features the program had when I was a student. Being able to know my own frustrations as a student (syllabi not uploaded correctly, uploading homework assignments in platform), I can mitigate these on the other side. The way students can communicate with me also helps--it gives another option besides a regular email, but still connects directly to email.

What do you dislike?

There are still too many strange secondary boxes that appear in Blackboard. I understand the need for personalization, but some professors of a certain (older) age are not able to create the visually appealing layout students can identify with more. If Blackboard could integrate a cleaner layout (though many people have gotten used to it), this could allow professors to link personal websites, add additional multimedia, and connect with millennial/Gen Z students.

I've realized that this product is still one of the best ways to connect with students and share the things they need to be academically successful.

Blackboard review by Divyansh A.
Divyansh A.

"Great but still not perfect"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very customizable and has a lot of legacies. They are doing some great experiments in products tangential to the LMS experience; Specifically, ALLY, Collaborate, and Analytics. There are some really interesting features in these new products, and they seem to be designed around user experiences.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of legacies, and it's extremely outdated. There are 3 methods of delivery, 2 experiences, and 4 or 5 new products that aren't baked directly in. We, specifically, are self-hosted - so when they announce a new product, my first two questions are: when will it trickle down to self-hosted? what does it cost? They've started to figure out SaaS and Mobile, but don't have a unified product or experience. It would have been better to keep their SaaS and Self-Hosted products completely separate, instead of mixing and matching as they've done.

We use Blackboard as a Learning Management System, to manage relationships between students, classes, and instructors. It's added a lot of educational value to our University. It saves a lot of paper and helps keep an electronic record of student achievement. It's just outdated and clunky.

Blackboard review by Matthew D.
Matthew D.

"Blackboard is outdated and needs to adapt. "

What do you like best?

Blackboard is very customizable, and has a lot of legacy. They are doing some great experiments in products tangential to the LMS experience; Specifically, ALLY, Collaborate, and Analytics. There are some really interesting features in these new products, and they seem to be designed around user experiences.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of legacy, and it's extremely outdated. There are 3 methods of delivery, 2 experiences, and 4 or 5 new products that aren't baked directly in. We, specifically, are self hosted - so when they announce a new product, my first two questions are: when will it trickle down to self hosted? what does it cost? They've started to figure out SaaS and Mobile, but don't have a unified product or experience. It would have been better to keep their SaaS and Self-Hosted products completely separate, instead of mixing and matching as they've done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Canvas instead. They have the benefit of being web first and mobile first, and not having a fragmented experience.

We use Blackboard as a Learning Management System, to manage relationships between students, classes and instructors. It's added a lot of educational value to our University. It saves a lot of paper, and helps keep an electronic record of student achievement. It's just outdated and clunky.

Blackboard review by Amanda N.
Amanda N.

"Blackboard for Post Grads"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to use and a good place to store files to re-use for later classes

What do you dislike?

I dislike how glitchy it is. No matter what browser I use, there are glitches with moving files from one location to another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is software that could use some updating to compete with the likes of Canvas. Our University it switching to Canvas in an effort to create a more flexible workflow and contact with students. This is where Blackboard lacks advancement.

Posting teaching materials for courses is solved so that students get all of the information that their colleagues get at the same time. Benefits are that resources are available and posted to Blackboard without the need for students to hunt down their instructor for every question. Tables, charts, lab groups, and announcements about upcoming exams and corrected lecture slides are all easily and readily available 24/7.

Blackboard review by User

"Central and Simple"

What do you like best?

This is perfect for me, as an administrative assistant, to manage the students in our department and program. I am able to add and remove students as things change, and I can reach all of the students in the program. Adding other administrative users is quite easy as well, and allows all interested parties top post announcements.

What do you dislike?

It's not always easy to use copy and paste to enter information as the formatting gets very wonky and you can't see the issues until some information is posted. I dislike the way to insert PDF links as the page announcement. I have to upload a jpeg image of the flyer and add links elsewhere. I am also not fond of the way links must be separately embedded into the sex, instead of auto-linking.

This allows me to reach all of the students in the program and keep them updated on the information and ongoings of the University. Since the students are required to use the system for classes, and I guaranteed to get their attention when new content is posted.

Blackboard review by Nancy S.
Nancy S.

"Effective LMS But Not the Easiest to Master"

What do you like best?

I love that I can grade papers online, leave voice comments, and I love the integrated turnitin.com ability. Modules are easy to make for online teaching. Students love the journals, and the discussion boards are easy to use.

What do you dislike?

It's not intuitive, and it's not easy to help students, because we can't see their view and our view at the same time. Also, a lot of things - such as the feedback studio - are clunky and slow, and it's not obvious where to track things down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you're trained and have a good relationship with your support team!

I love having an LMS that my students can use on all platforms. This makes it so they cannot make excuses about accessing it, as long as they have a phone.

Blackboard review by Jhinelle B.
Jhinelle B.

"Blackboard User"

What do you like best?

I like how many different aspects there are to Blackboard. I also like how each instructor can customize it for their classes. Every one of my classes has different links and information for that specific class. If you wanted to, you truly could link a lot of resources and assignments in addition to the standard format for a hybrid or online class. It's user friendly for the most part. You can also email directly through Blackboard. You can also search for classmates if you don't have contact information and need to find out information about an assignment your group is working on, for example.

What do you dislike?

Just a couple things that I can think of are not intuitive for the user. Clicking on a specific part of the submission assignment page to see a grade if not the way I would expect it to be designed. When trying to read in text comments on graded assignments, you have to expand it in a such a way that doesn't seem like it would be an option if you want to read what your instructor has noted.

Even for in-person classes, Blackboard is still used, and it provides a hub for information and discussion between classes. This is helpful for group communication.

Blackboard review by Andrea C.
Andrea C.

"Gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Easy to put in grades, send out messages to students, post assignments, etc. My students also submit their assignments through Blackboard, which makes it easy to do grading. I also like that Blackboard can check student work for plagiarism.

What do you dislike?

It's not very aesthetically appealing and I often find a discrepancy in the two grade columns that calculate the final grade. I also do not like that my view is quite different from the students and that students seem to have to hit submit a few times to actually submit their work. As a result, I often get students who think they submitted an assignment, but they missed one click.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you know how to use a computer, it's pretty easy to use. I find that the user interface isn't all that appealing, but I think your institution's IT department can change this. Also, be careful about grade calculations and make sure you double check the accuracy.

Blackboard is our learning management system. It makes it really easy to collect assignments from students, and is also a great piece in finding and preventing plagiarism. Just the threat of knowing that Blackboard checks their work for plagiarism makes the vast majority of students far too afraid to try doing it.

Blackboard review by Millie H.
Millie H.

"Helpful for storage of class information, but not the best organization"

What do you like best?

You can clearly see where the Announcements, Syllabus, Assignments, and any other miscellaneous categories that the Professor created.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to navigate what is put where. This is due to BlackBoard's style as well as the professor's personal design of their BlackBoard content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To have a more streamlined process that every professor and student must adapt to. It is difficult to find certain things due to the professor's liking; however, this problem may be fixed by giving fewer options to the professor. This way, things cannot be "hidden" from the student.

Although it is difficult to navigate at times, it is definitely a way to organize a student's classes. BlackBoard will always notify and email me the moment a professor uploads content and grades.

Blackboard review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Great as long as you have the Server Power"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is one of the best Online Classroom Software available if you have the server to support it. Our entire department and most of the University incorporate the technology even if they teach in-person courses. Blackboard is fast, efficient, easy to understand and use, and quick to get set-up.

What do you dislike?

Technical support for Blackboard is often put into the hands of our Local IT staff who do not act as good support technicians for the software.

Lots of users = server connection issues. Ensure your server can support the load, server switching has been problematic for many of our faculty.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure your server is large enough to handle the load you plan on putting on it

Delivering high impact, quality, and up to date classes online for today's traditional and non-traditional students. Effective communication, discussions, graded activities for in-person classes.

Blackboard review by Zakiah M.
Zakiah M.

"Blackboard, easy for students-- hard for some teachers"

What do you like best?

Blackboard makes it so grades are visible to all students, and assignments can be submitted. Navigating blackboard for students can be easy, especially with the level of understanding this generation has for technology. The students enjoy the streamline service that blackboard provides, if a campus is fully integrated with blackboard, students have everything they need all in one place. It decreases the hassle of having multiple usernames, passwords and resources to log onto to complete an assignment.

What do you dislike?

For teachers who are not accustomed to software used for learning purposes, blackboard can be confusing. Setting up the quizzes, assignments and uploading data into appropriate folders can be difficult for some.

Blackboard streamlines all teacher data and grades onto one site, instead of expecting students to use multiple different resources to complete their homework/tasks. It increases the rate of homework submission.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"You Need BlackBoard!"

What do you like best?

I like that you can manage organizations and classes. It is almost limitless with what you can do! From online tests, to work teams, and announcement. Great for any form of classroom structure or organization like Residence Halls, Class of Groups, etc. It has great tools for organizing classwork and extra activities. You can also customize the layout and look based on your institution! It is great for transfer students especially if they are used to this platform.

When using this for more than just classrooms, students are really able to see and understand how versatile blackboard is. I use this for announcements for my residence hall, espcially for documents of important info like student handbooks, housing polices, etc.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I love blackboard. Every system has its downfalls though. It has a lot of features which is great, but so many go unused because you cant always figure it all out. I think especially for students a blackboard training course, specifically structured for the particular institution would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn this product. It is best to get an entire department, college, institution on board for the sake of the students. Having all their courses and organizations run on the same platform helps give consistency and ease of use during a stressful period in their lives. Additionally, having set guidelines for faculty so they are using the platform in the best way!

Building courses, online courses, work group, student organization groups, residence halls, etc.

Blackboard review by Anastasia M.
Anastasia M.

"Nice Interface, Needs more Introduction"

What do you like best?

I like that Blackboard is cloud-based and be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. It makes accomplishing work and grading assignments very convenient. It is nice that it can hold so many different types of content such as videos, pdf, etc without having to leave the site.

What do you dislike?

I think there needs to be a better introduction to Blackboard for first-time users. I found it rather difficult to navigate at first and took awhile to get used to. I found it difficult to find my notifications and dismiss them, I also have viewed notifications and found it hard to dismiss them.

It makes grading student assignments very easy and allows for quick feedback. I feel like I can really communicate with them without being face to face.

Blackboard review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great way to organize class content"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a great platform for organizing class content for students to access. The ability to organize readings and other handouts in separate modules is especially helpful for teaching online courses, though it can also be helpful for face-to-face classes as well.

What do you dislike?

While Blackboard makes organizing content easy, it can sometimes be difficult to set up and use. It is relatively easy to use on the student's end, but the course set-up as an instructor is not particularly user-friendly. I have taken training on using Blackboard and still do not feel that I can figure out how to do everything I want to with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blackboard is a great platform for organizing and presenting content for a course, but I would suggest that instructors take a tutorial on how to use it as well as give students a walkthrough as it can be confusing and difficult to use without training.

I use Blackboard primarily for organizing class content, keeping up with student grades, and facilitating discussion boards. Using it for student grades is particularly helpful as it provides a place for me to keep and calculate grades and also provides a place for students to find their grades as soon as I submit them, reducing e-mails about grades. I also enjoy Blackboard's discussion board format where students can post anonymously in discussion boards I choose or have to post in other discussion boards before they can read posts, making it easier to ensure students are posting their own work. Blackboard's link with SafeAssign is also helpful, as it provides a quick and easy way for me to assess whether students are plagiarizing their work and to what extent.

Blackboard review by Mark W.
Mark W.

"Good website but with a lot of bugs"

What do you like best?

Blackboard is a good website with a lot of educational tools which helps you in keeping everything together in one place. By that I mean, both jobs related, and course-related content if you are at a University. It has well-divided layouts and sections for specific things and it has also made group collaboration easy for me.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard has a lot of glitches. It is difficult to submit a lot of different file formats through blackboard and it constantly crashes, leaving your progress unsaved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend using it.

I have a lot of courses that I am taking on Blackboard. I also have to take job related training on blackboard and give my submissions. It is a good place to keep reminders and I would definitely recommend it.

Blackboard review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Blackboard your one stop shop for grades, assignments, even tests!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that teachers can easily post a message and have it not only show up on everyones blackboard site but also in everyones email. My teachers utilize this feature quite often. Also love the convenience of the app.

What do you dislike?

I do not really like that you cannot view everything on the app that you can review on the desktop site. Sometimes if I use the app too much I feel like I miss important things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that after each semester is over you use the "hide" feature in order to hide the previous classes or else your screen gets pretty busy.

Students can easily see their letter grade they currently have in the class and they also can see the exact percentage they have in the class instead of having to ask the instructor every time they would like to check their grades.

Blackboard review by Caroline Palmer L.
Caroline Palmer L.

"Handles everything virtual in one easy platform"

What do you like best?

It wasn't until I didn't have blackboard that I realized how amazing this platform really is. At my study abroad university they had several outdated platforms with different login credentials for various tasks. It was almost ridiculous how badly they functioned and how confusing it was. Blackboard makes it easy to share documents, hold discussions, take virtual tests/quizzes, and communicate with your professors. You can easily manage your classwork through this singular platform. Everything you'd ever need to do virtually was incorporated into blackboard's platform. I think all colleges should use Blackboard.

What do you dislike?

Like many programs, blackboard could update their interface. I am picky about design, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste time with cheaper software -- get blackboard.

Easy way to communicate with classmates and professors in a "classroom setting" when you're not in class -- ie discussion boards. one simple easy to use platform.

Blackboard review by Carly M.
Carly M.

"Website Creation and Management Made Easy"

What do you like best?

Blackboard Learn is very easy to use and the application itself presents a very professional product to the users. As a teacher, we use Blackboard Learn to post our classroom webpages. These pages are seen by parents, students, and community members. (Truly anyone in the world!) The webpages we create and use are functional and appealing. Students and parents navigate with ease and enjoy logging on to use our sites, thanks to Blackboard Learn.

What do you dislike?

Creating and altering pages once they are on your site can be a bit difficult if your site contains multiple pages and links. Trying to organize a large site may take time and ultimately be more frustrating than leaving the links where they were. Nevertheless, this site faces that problem because you are capable of creating the site size that you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this across your district/company, not simply for one small portion of your organization.

Our district website and homepages are uniform and functional. We can contact one company to solve our tech problems, as well as assist one another in any small hiccups we may face.

Blackboard review by Nancy L. S.
Nancy L. S.

"Works, but could be more intuitive"

What do you like best?

I love being able to communicate with, and delivery material to, my students.

What do you dislike?

I hate the way some of the commands and menus are very counter-intuitive. You have to consult "help" often because you'll need to do things, and it's not at all obvious how to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you keep the Help section handy! My university is now making the switch to Canvas. I'm sure a lot of this is about bottom line, but I would imagine some of it is about ease of use and features, too.

Blackboard makes it very simple to communicate with students, get info to them, and they can use it to collaborate and work independently. I do like having a centralized platform.

Blackboard review by User in Higher Education

"User friendly and intuitive"

What do you like best?

One of the things I like best about Blackboard is that it is so widely used. That means that it's worth my while to get familiar with it, since almost any academic institution uses it. As an instructor, it's easy to post grades, send emails to individuals or the entire class, or post messages for the class. It's also easy to post material for the students.

What do you dislike?

One thing that I dislike is that when a student emails me through Blackboard, I'm not able to reply to their email from Outlook. Instead, if I try to reply, it would send the message to Blackboard instead of the student. It's a minor inconvenience to either log into Blackboard and message the student back, or look up their university email to reply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth taking the time to learn the many features since Blackboard lets you do a lot of thing that are useful in teaching a class. Once you learn the organization on the home page, it's easy to find what you need.

I am able to post course material, communicate information to students, and post grades all in one place. Students find it easy to use.

Blackboard review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Solid"

What do you like best?

Blackboard makes it easy to teach online by allowing files to be uploaded as assignments and the ease of use of navigation. I especially like the « jump to » button when grading. This has helped me enormously. I think a template for online classes would be a good idea—it feels like there is a lot of leg work involved in creating basic course pages.

What do you dislike?

Blackboard can be confusing to use at the beginning. It feels like there are many possibilities with a lot of potential, but one isn’t sure how to go about implementing them. It requires a training session at the very least, months of use at the most.

I have been able to teach online and easily adapt my in-person course materials to online format. The format is more streamlined than canvas, which I appreciate. I like adjusting pictures and colors as well.

Blackboard review by Jessica T.
Jessica T.

"Not the Best Learning Tool Out there "

What do you like best?

I like that it's fairly generic and consistent for all the colleges that I have attended. I also like that it has a messenger built in.

What do you dislike?

It was incredibly confusing and not just at first but even after a while. I have been shown other programs that are comparable to Blackboard learn that are much more streamlined and less confusing. As a student using this program, there was actually a time when I missed a few assignments because I just could not wrap my head around this program. As an educator that uses it now, it's still quite confusing. Our company has actually switched to a different program because of the uneasiness and everyone I have spoken with is much happier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend looking at all your options and being thorough. If you feel like this will help your students and staff succeed then I am happy. It does have good qualities, it just wasn't the program for us.

It supposed to make online learning easier, however, I find it confusing and so did other staff and students.

Blackboard review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Quick, Painless, Simple"

What do you like best?

The app is fluid, no lag whatsoever. Simple menu options as well. The formatting tools in the text boxes are great, like having a mini Microsoft processor built in my submissions.

What do you dislike?

When I hit the back button on my phone, it exits the app vs. Going back to the previous page. The ability to create discussion boards is nice, but when you go into a certain discussion, getting back to the board takes 3 additional steps, the back button takes you elsewhere.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program has come a long way since I First downloaded it. Nothing really to recommend, this is a great way to check your online grades and assignments.

This is a great way to have students interact with each other, email anonymously, and share ideas via the discussion board. The idea and foundation are there but needs an overhaul of the functionality of the site, feels very early 2000's.

Learning about Blackboard Learn?

* We monitor all Blackboard Learn reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.