Bluefish

Bluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and webdevelopers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code.

Work for Bluefish?

Learning about Bluefish?

Compare Bluefish to Similar Solutions

Bluefish Reviews

Showing 17 Bluefish reviews
Bluefish review by <span>Harshal P.</span>
Harshal P.

Bluefish focuses on editing HTML code for dynamic and interactive websites.

What do you like best?

Bluefish is very powerful editor for experienced web designers . But this doesn't mean that noob users shouldn't at least try it; they could really be impressed with it.The autocomplete is much better, and it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons. I know someone may not choose this very first time but seeing it's functionality and services provided , they can not deny to use it . At least I am very much satisfied by using it .I like it's clean and nice interface .

What do you dislike?

It should be nice if there were an 'Upload to FTP site' button .

We were given one project 2-3 months ago . It was about to creating a web application using JSP,Servlet . Bluefish helped us a lot as it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons.The best thing is it is WYSIWYG so each and every time you will get expected output unless you have made some mistakes in writing the cosd .

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Bluefish
Bluefish review by <span>Vuchentala B.</span>
Vuchentala B.

best website development tool

What do you like best?

Bluefish can separate non-maintained parts (such as the infobrowser-plugin) from maintained parts I like this one.And I like the suggestions which are giving while we do code is great.

I also love that I can easy save and start new projects when I don't like something I did.

What do you dislike?

Everything is good with bluefish, nothing to dislike. But in some cases it slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

blue fish is very good to use it's for coding, we can do coding if we do not know the basic syntax also.

I feel that you must know code. It can be a little hard if you don't know it.

web related applications using html, css, js, jquery, and php.It was about to creating a web application using JSP,Servlet . Bluefish helped us a lot as it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons.

What Web Design solution do you use?

Bluefish review by <span>fredrick M.</span>
fredrick M.

Great Editor

What do you like best?

Bluefish is one of the best editor when it comes to web development.what i love most about bluefish is the hustle free file management, i dont have struggle with looking for a file and by just clicking a folder, all the files are automatically availed to me which i can just open buy a simple click.i also love the live view option which makes it easy for me to see changes when am making my websites for my clients and the best part is it has a direct link to photoshop which makes it easy for me to export any designs made in photoshop to bluefish

What do you dislike?

well, everything so far is ok but i wish the dev team could add up ftp upload straight from the editor

Recommendations to others considering the product

trying it out,am pretty sure you will love it as i did

i use bluefish for making and maintaning websites,web based management systems,apis for my clients

Bluefish review by <span>Miri L.</span>
Miri L.

my good help at work but some issues need to be fixed

What do you like best?

flexible and glitzy editor for ppl who code. works fine on *nix. i can x forward it over ssh from a *nix server to my desktop, it's stable enuf for that, which is pretty good. not as fast as gedit, but has more features. vi and emacs are pains in the ass, so i prefer bluefish for web development. good for that in particular. if you need help to build a site from windows, try visual studio express for web, free from micro$oft. if you're hardcore but hate terminal editors that force you to remember a million ctrl+ sequences, bluefish is probably something you'd like. conclusion: good editor.

What do you dislike?

Works on Linux (Debian, LMDE, Mint, Ubuntu) together with FileZilla, but: Minus - new instance instead of new tab on opening one more file is awful! -> How to modify this behaviour? - *.shtml (html/xhtml with SSI) not recognized as html/xhtml -> what about using html doc type? Plus + Good HTML "Any ... Tag ..." feature + German Translation included + eye-friendly syntax highlighting for (x)html, css, etc. + color picker + project manager (not tested) + ... Please ! add *.shtml to html syntax sheme (user defined would be great) - add contact form for non-facebook users -> or should I treat the Minus as "bug" an report it? Please have a look at medit programmers/text editor project (mooedit) on SF.net Many Tnx for Your Work. EDVauler

maintain a website for both Windows and Linux users - having both versions makes it easy. I really like the addition of HTML5 to version 2.2.2! Great Job! The only addition I can think of would be a popup menu for special characters.

Bluefish review by <span>Joshua H.</span>
Joshua H.

Great Product for Free

What do you like best?

This editor is the best of the free choices. You can edit much more easily than pretty much everything.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have an app for mobile devices. This editor is the best of the free choices. It could have a better integration with WordPress as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give it a try. It's very easy to use and has a lot of tools for a free software.

I have been able to easily study and write code. It has saved a ton of time over using a simple text editor.

Bluefish review by <span>Benjamin B.</span>
Benjamin B.

Nice, basic text editor...and that's it

What do you like best?

Bluefish is a fast, lightweight code editor. It has all of the typical features of a code editor: code folding, auto-correct, etc. It's open-source, which means that you can modify it to suit your needs (in theory).

What do you dislike?

There aren't enough features. The dealbreaker for me was the ability to sync local files to my server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bluefish *could* be the next big thing. Right now, it is struggling to find community support to build the extensions and features that it needs to be a true competitor in the space.

For those who need a basic text editor, and you don't have a lot of money, Bluefish can help you write some solid code.

Learning about Bluefish?

* We monitor all Bluefish reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Bluefish to Similar Solutions