Bluefish

Bluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and webdevelopers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code.

Work for Bluefish?

Learning about Bluefish?

Compare Bluefish to Similar Solutions

Bluefish Reviews

Showing 18 Bluefish reviews
Bluefish review by <span>Harshal P.</span>
Harshal P.

"Bluefish focuses on editing HTML code for dynamic and interactive websites."

What do you like best?

Bluefish is very powerful editor for experienced web designers . But this doesn't mean that noob users shouldn't at least try it; they could really be impressed with it.The autocomplete is much better, and it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons. I know someone may not choose this very first time but seeing it's functionality and services provided , they can not deny to use it . At least I am very much satisfied by using it .I like it's clean and nice interface .

What do you dislike?

It should be nice if there were an 'Upload to FTP site' button .

We were given one project 2-3 months ago . It was about to creating a web application using JSP,Servlet . Bluefish helped us a lot as it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons.The best thing is it is WYSIWYG so each and every time you will get expected output unless you have made some mistakes in writing the cosd .

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Bluefish
Bluefish review by <span>Vuchentala B.</span>
Vuchentala B.

"best website development tool"

What do you like best?

Bluefish can separate non-maintained parts (such as the infobrowser-plugin) from maintained parts I like this one.And I like the suggestions which are giving while we do code is great.

What do you dislike?

Everything is good with bluefish, nothing to dislike. But in some cases it slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

blue fish is very good to use it's for coding, we can do coding if we do not know the basic syntax also.

I feel that you must know code. It can be a little hard if you don't know it.

web related applications using html, css, js, jquery, and php.It was about to creating a web application using JSP,Servlet . Bluefish helped us a lot as it doesn't add in as much garbage code when using the wizards or quick buttons.

What Web Design solution do you use?

Bluefish review by <span>fredrick M.</span>
fredrick M.

"Great Editor"

What do you like best?

Bluefish is one of the best editor when it comes to web development.what i love most about bluefish is the hustle free file management, i dont have struggle with looking for a file and by just clicking a folder, all the files are automatically availed to me which i can just open buy a simple click.i also love the live view option which makes it easy for me to see changes when am making my websites for my clients and the best part is it has a direct link to photoshop which makes it easy for me to export any designs made in photoshop to bluefish

What do you dislike?

well, everything so far is ok but i wish the dev team could add up ftp upload straight from the editor

Recommendations to others considering the product

trying it out,am pretty sure you will love it as i did

i use bluefish for making and maintaning websites,web based management systems,apis for my clients

Bluefish review by <span>Miri L.</span>
Miri L.

"my good help at work but some issues need to be fixed "

What do you like best?

flexible and glitzy editor for ppl who code. works fine on *nix. i can x forward it over ssh from a *nix server to my desktop, it's stable enuf for that, which is pretty good. not as fast as gedit, but has more features. vi and emacs are pains in the ass, so i prefer bluefish for web development. good for that in particular. if you need help to build a site from windows, try visual studio express for web, free from micro$oft. if you're hardcore but hate terminal editors that force you to remember a million ctrl+ sequences, bluefish is probably something you'd like. conclusion: good editor.

What do you dislike?

Works on Linux (Debian, LMDE, Mint, Ubuntu) together with FileZilla, but: Minus - new instance instead of new tab on opening one more file is awful! -> How to modify this behaviour? - *.shtml (html/xhtml with SSI) not recognized as html/xhtml -> what about using html doc type? Plus + Good HTML "Any ... Tag ..." feature + German Translation included + eye-friendly syntax highlighting for (x)html, css, etc. + color picker + project manager (not tested) + ... Please ! add *.shtml to html syntax sheme (user defined would be great) - add contact form for non-facebook users -> or should I treat the Minus as "bug" an report it? Please have a look at medit programmers/text editor project (mooedit) on SF.net Many Tnx for Your Work. EDVauler

maintain a website for both Windows and Linux users - having both versions makes it easy. I really like the addition of HTML5 to version 2.2.2! Great Job! The only addition I can think of would be a popup menu for special characters.

Bluefish review by <span>Joshua H.</span>
Joshua H.

"Great Product for Free"

What do you like best?

This editor is the best of the free choices. You can edit much more easily than pretty much everything.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have an app for mobile devices. This editor is the best of the free choices. It could have a better integration with WordPress as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give it a try. It's very easy to use and has a lot of tools for a free software.

I have been able to easily study and write code. It has saved a ton of time over using a simple text editor.

Bluefish review by <span>Benjamin B.</span>
Benjamin B.

"Nice, basic text editor...and that's it"

What do you like best?

Bluefish is a fast, lightweight code editor. It has all of the typical features of a code editor: code folding, auto-correct, etc. It's open-source, which means that you can modify it to suit your needs (in theory).

What do you dislike?

There aren't enough features. The dealbreaker for me was the ability to sync local files to my server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bluefish *could* be the next big thing. Right now, it is struggling to find community support to build the extensions and features that it needs to be a true competitor in the space.

For those who need a basic text editor, and you don't have a lot of money, Bluefish can help you write some solid code.

Bluefish review by <span>Steve Z.</span>
Steve Z.

"bluefish"

What do you like best?

great editor for anyone be it newbie or expert.what i love most about bluefish is how easy it is to navigate through your files and easy link with photoshop which makes a web developers life easy when exporting files from photoshop.bluefish is quite light which makes it compatible with even a low resource machine as compared to other softwares.

What do you dislike?

nothing specific but just that the developers could work on a few bugs there

Recommendations to others considering the product

dont just take my word for it,give it a try

i use bluefish to export web designs which i would have made for my clients into a product.

Bluefish review by Agency in Retail
Agency in Retail

"Potential but Crashes everything"

What do you like best?

Super flexible for people who code. And works very well doing so. Easy to code with for both veterans and newbies! I love how its easy to switch with everyone different coding 'ways'.

What do you dislike?

Crashes every so often. It isn't the most reliable program I've used so theres some problems with that. Some other coders have said the same too so I know its not just my computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not a high risk investment! Def worth trying but just beware between me and other coders who have used it have said it crashes every so often

Coding and flexibility with more than one coders at different levels. Very easy to use with live-view and css. Like the ease of opening and having multiple windows open. It has improved our speed of coding and getting sites to go live with little to no errors.

Bluefish review by <span>Kathy D.</span>
Kathy D.

"Good basic text editor"

What do you like best?

Not going to lie, I love the icon on my Start Menu, task bar and Desktop. It's relatively easy to use and is compatible with all the files I need to see in this delimited format.

What do you dislike?

Text editors are all pretty similar but not many of my colleagues know of or use this tool. Notepad ++ pretty much dominates this field so just wish it were more well known.

I frequently need this tool when testing export files, edit XML tags and see encryption. I don't see any problems with this tool.

Bluefish review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Love Bluefish!"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about bluefish is that I love that all my files are on the program. I love that I don't have to click search for my files and images. I also love that I can easy save and start new projects when I don't like something I did.

What do you dislike?

The thing is I'm new to design and I not sure how to write code. I find it hard and wish there was some type of online video training to show what css is and how to write it as code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel that you must know code. It can be a little hard if you don't know it.

The business problem I 'm solving is learning how to design a website from the beginning without paying someone to do it or update our website.

Bluefish review by <span>Lisa C.</span>
Lisa C.

"Not for the faint of heart"

What do you like best?

I found this editor to be difficult to use. I am not super savvy at website stuff, and this wasn't as intuitive as I needed.

What do you dislike?

It seemed glitchy and, in my experience, difficult to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't tried in the recent times to see if it has become easier. But it was difficult to use/figure out when I was trying to set up my site. I am not computer illiterate, but I felt like it with it.

It really didn't help me. I had to abandon using it for something more simple.

Bluefish review by <span>Riko M.</span>
Riko M.

"Need to be improved."

What do you like best?

It's Free! Simple to use and simple interface. I like it.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately there is not enough features. There are a lot of bugs and crashes during normal use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth to try.

Most comfortable to write css and javascript. an addition to its usability, it makes the design very comfortable.

Bluefish review by <span>Victoria S.</span>
Victoria S.

"Video Streaming Service"

What do you like best?

I like that as a business we work with a designer to create custom websites and html that cater to our individual needs and style.

What do you dislike?

The actual bluefish info website itself is very dated. Since the purpose of bluefish is to help write html (sometimes complicated), it is weird that the company website is so simple and old school.

The ability to work on multiple projects at a time and have multiple documents open at a time.

Bluefish review by User

"sampled the program"

What do you like best?

I used bluefish to check out their Branding & Design- they offer prototype development. They helped me bring my ideas to life. They state they can increase your international orders year-over-year for a lifestyle brand by 78%!

What do you dislike?

The price point and use for small businesses

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would see if anyone in your company can do the same type of details first

The benefit was helping my business model and perfecting my operational process to ensure that our brand promise is real

Bluefish review by User

"Perfect for coding and general website devolopment "

What do you like best?

relatively lightweight and easy to learn, while still providing many features of an integrated development environment to support both programming and the development of websites

What do you dislike?

nothing that I can think of at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

great program! highly reccomeded for programing

programming in general and the development of dynamic websites

Bluefish review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Bluefish review "

What do you like best?

Its so user friendly and easy to use. Its amazing product. Makes editing easy. It has tons of features and runs on linux.

What do you dislike?

I dont have anything to dislike about it.

Allows editing of code and gives suggestions for code. Makes things easy to edit offline and makes it faster.

Bluefish review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Excellent for developing Web sites "

What do you like best?

It's a free tool for developing websites. What more do you want.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little complex to use, but if you familiar with the basic programming you should be fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in need of developing a website. Look no further.

We made our business website template with it.

Bluefish review by Administrator

"Programming on Linux made easy"

What do you like best?

Interface very customizable and powerful search/replace.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes remote file access is not enough good.

Bluefish is one of the best opensource programming editors.

Learning about Bluefish?

* We monitor all Bluefish reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Bluefish to Similar Solutions