Blurb

A complete publishing platform. Authors, creative professionals, business people, photo book makers⎯no matter who you are, welcome. You’re here to create and publish a book and we’re here to help you do it.

Work for Blurb?

Learning about Blurb?

Blurb Reviews

Showing 12 Blurb reviews
Blurb review by Jenny H.
Jenny H.

"Book publishing made easy!"

What do you like best?

What I love about Blurb is that it brings book publishing to the masses! In this digital age where we never look at our photos after we've taken them, Blurb makes it so easy to make a great family album or record a special event with ease and then order it as a lovely gift for a loved one.

What do you dislike?

In the past I tried to use the InDesign merging option with Blurb, I'm not sure if this feature still exists as I haven't looked at it lately but despite being a professional designer with knowledge of pagination and imposition and what not I still managed to screw up the pagination so that my pages were out of order. I think what was unclear was that it is not made clear how many pages are added at the beginning and end of the book for Blurb's end pages and that's where I went wrong.

However, other than that minor hiccup which could very well have been user error it worked fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Blurb can be used to create practically anything, a beautiful wedding album, family photo album, workplace manual, cookbook, memoir etc etc etc. It really is up to your imagination to what you create. The free software that comes with it 'Bookwright' is easy to use and straightforward to understand. This is definitely a great option for anyone considering self-publishing. They have also been around for a long time - I've used them on and off for years whenever I needed to create a book and they are constantly improving, so they are a great option for someone looking for a stable company that knows what they are doing.

The benefit of Blurb is that now anyone can publish a book of their choosing whether it be a short story, children's book, photo album or cook book. Their free software makes it very easy if you are not computer savvy and if you are then you can go nuts with the design and enjoy it regardless.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Blurb
Blurb review by Nada Chan, C.
Nada Chan, C.

"Great tool to create photobooks"

What do you like best?

Super easy to use. I loved the preset layouts - they let me create entire books easy and quickly. I liked that I could put in quotes, large blocks of text as needed. I could upload photos as backgrounds so layouts varied between white clean pages and more image focused layouts.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I couldn't find the layout that I was looking for and there wasn't an option to change the layout and customize it. Text was hard to input - fonts sometimes were inconsistent in type and in size, so I would have to do a check on each text box after I inputted all the content.

Solved the business problem of how to capture the essence of the experiential learning programs that we create and manage for the various participants on the program. Our participants loved the books that we created and it has helped increase the sign up volume for future programs as the books served as a marketing tool when previous participants use the book to share their experience with their family and friends.

What Print Fulfillment solution do you use?

Blurb review by Wesley D.
Wesley D.

"Affordable self-publishing with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Blurb allows for easy and quick publication of student-produced text. The simplicity allows the process to be put into students’ hands and for them to walk away with professional looking books.

What do you dislike?

Fonts sometimes are not supported, and as can be expected quick self-publishing means that there are inconsistencies in formatting, primarily trying to match cover dimensions without using the suggested (but not always user-friendly) Bookwright program.

Students’ ownership of the editing and revision process is enhanced by the professional product and the quick turnaround of the published book/magazine/photo book.

Blurb review by Monique P.
Monique P.

"Simple to use, but book quality not up to par"

What do you like best?

The software is extremely easy to figure out and very intuitive, particularly the Blurb software built within Adobe lightroom. Amyone who can use lightroom can figure out Blurb. If you already have a collection of photos in lightroom for a book, they are easy to drag and drop. I do like the fact that it is simple and there aren't a million different options to choose from. In my opinion, less is more anyways. Your books can be clear, concise and to the point with having simplified options for the page layouts and it looks more professional and less like a Walgreens style photo book.

What do you dislike?

The book quality was not so awesome, even with corrected color profiles in the photos. Having to change the color profiles of my photos was cumbersome. The color was very off in printed book form. When working with photographs of people, this is very concerning, especially when worrying about correct skin tone. I was indeed working with portraits so that quality is unacceptable for a professional seeking a simple book solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would seek out as many other budget priced book making softwares as possible instead of Blurb.

This software can be used to easily and simply create custom albums for photography clients or as a portfolio for a photographer (I have done both). The benefit is that it is very time-saving compared to making your own layout in something like Adobe InDesign. Anyone who can really work a computer and knows how to use any photo editing software can easily figure out how to use Blurb without much guidance.

Blurb review by Emanuela C.
Emanuela C.

"Great tool to create photo books"

What do you like best?

I can create photo books with the layout I create. I created multiple page layouts so I can apply the same on all my books and be sure that all books and all pages will be perfectly aligned.

I can also add texts and titles.

All my photo books appear as professional photo albums and I store them all together in my library. They are really nice.

What do you dislike?

The premium paper is not really nice, the photos appears blurred in some cases. I prefer the standard paper.

The resolution of the pictures will decrease compare to the quality you see on your computer.

I use blurb to print the photo books of my travels, they appears all aligned and I don't have to print all the pictures.

Blurb review by Brett F.
Brett F.

"Excellent book making tool"

What do you like best?

Blurb offers great tools especially in book making. I was able to make a book with images and text that I needed exactly how I wanted it and at a decent price. The printing was really good. Great quality.

What do you dislike?

Their interface was slow and it took a decent amount of time to finish the book, partially because I put a lot of images and text and design changes into it, but the issue I had was the slowness of the system at the time.

It was a really good option for lower budget book making where I only needed one copy. It was way too expensive to try to print a book a traditional method. Blurb was one of, if not the first, company I found that was able to solve this problem for us.

Blurb review by User in Higher Education

"Best Self Publishing Site (Promo Books Especially!)"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use. It has plug-ins with Adobe Lightroom, plenty of templates to choose from, the user has control over all aspects of what they would like. Over the years the output quality has just gotten better and better. Other than one company (which is too pricey), Blurb is #1 when it comes to affordability and quality of self publishing -- practically a requirement in Fine Art/Photographic Arts professionals.

What do you dislike?

The cost (without a coupon, and sometimes the coupon only provides the user with only more than one copy of the same book), and the cost for a faster turn around time. Honestly, I don't think these are things that can be changed -- or that I even want to change -- it's just we live in a world of immediate gratification and "Prime" membership.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are some good sites, but the quality does not compare to Blurb. Additionally, they have fantastic customer service, although I haven't needed to use it in a number of years.

I use Blurb for personal promotional uses and require BFA students to create a simple portfolio of their work before graduation so get in the practice of self publishing. The benefits is that they can shop their work around, but can also use the Book module in Adobe Lr to create a myriad of interesting products in freelance work.

Blurb review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Blurb: needs to improve some"

What do you like best?

It's a simple to use website that let's you publish yourself without too many complicated hassles. Uploading, set up, and layouts are easy to create and fun to use. Their customer service is very easily reachable and you get your product in a timely manner.

What do you dislike?

Lately, since they've begun to be more popular, they have been making mistakes on the printing, specifically with the quality of it. Some come out with missing pages, others with ink spots or lines, etc. And they seem to not be as good at replacing the prints as easily and complacently as before. It's a big push away for me.

This is a great way to publish things in a professional manner all on your own.

Blurb review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"Blurb Review"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Blurb and the high quality books that it has helped me to make for both work and pleasure. The system is super easy to use and does not need a lot of time to start flying through the process of making the books and magazines.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike from this product, but if I had to say something I would say the price of an Ebook could be a little lower.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes! They are continuing to implement new products and ways to make the books better!

I have been able to quickly make trade magazines and books for both clients and shows when I am on a time crunch.

Blurb review by Jodi G.
Jodi G.

"great quality books at affordable prices"

What do you like best?

Blurb is really easy to use, and the print quality is excellent! Colours are exactly as they should be.

What do you dislike?

Although the quality is slightly superior to others, the cost is also a little bit higher than others.

I had so many photos and wanted to create something so I can display them nicely. Blurb really does a great job!

Blurb review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Simple way to make a book"

What do you like best?

You just upload your artwork, and it's ready to be printed! Very simple process that's affordable and quick.

What do you dislike?

Cover and paper options, there could be more, but I'm not complaining.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly suggest blurb over any other book creation website. This is clean, simple, and very professional. You can create your book without their logo for a small extra fee, which is nice because it makes the book look even more professional.

I needed a portfolio book for interviews after college. Instead of binding one on my own, blurb gave me a much cleaner, easier option.

Blurb review by User in Photography
User in Photography

"There once was a review for Blurb here"

What do you like best?

But since G2 Crowd is more interested in spamming users, not living up to their promises which, to the uninformed, includes giving out gift cards, this review has been edited by the original writer.

What do you dislike?

G2 Crowd hasn't responded to

Book printing is hard and expensive. You have to have a lot of knowledge to even attempt to make a professional printer understand your needs, and you need to know your CMYK values and offset margins. Blurb kinda does all that for you, or at least holds your hand a lot of the way. It's hard to do wrong, since it's all very What You See Is What You Get, and for most people, that's perfectly fine.

Learning about Blurb?

* We monitor all Blurb reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.