Brackets

Brackets is a text editor tool that makes it easy to design in the browser, it iss crafted from the ground up for web designers and front-end developers.

Work for Brackets?

Learning about Brackets?

Brackets Reviews

Showing 105 Brackets reviews
Brackets review by <span>Alexander H.</span>
Alexander H.

"It has everything we need"

What do you like best?

I am not a web developer and my company has nothing to do with web developing. I use it to update a primarily HTML webpage. Brackets is perfect for HTML and CSS. It replaced Dreamweaver for us. It has a great selection of addons and themes to make it more use friendly and expand functionality

Brackets recently gained the ability to update itself without have to manually download an update.

What do you dislike?

Its live preview tends to be very unstable, but you get what you pay for. If you need a live preview use Dreamweaver. It's beginning to get a little memory heavy now that have implemented automatic updates. It used to start a lot quicker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is simple and free and very customization . Its definitely worth a try. I recommend using a dark theme, there are a few that make the product have the same coding colors as Dreamweaver which makes it easy to transition.

Brackets is free. It allows our company to deploy our own internal websites and edit existing ones we would have paid someone else to update. It has saved us a great deal of money over the years.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Brackets
Brackets review by <span>Fernanda N O.</span>
Fernanda N O.

"Simple and Functional"

What do you like best?

The interface is not overwhelming and lets you do your job without any other interference. The "working files sidebar" lets you switch between two files quickly without having to change windows or opening a menu tab to be able to do so. But the thing I like best is that everything works with keyboard shortcuts... It makes your work easy and faster.

What do you dislike?

I am not sure that this is a software problem or it is just my computer being lazy, but sometimes the app opens and the screen is frozen and nothing works. Then I have to close it (force quit, actually) and open it again until it is operating regularly. It happens frequently and is a bit annoying... But, again, this might be just my computer's problem. Not sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, clean interface and coloured code to help the users.

Great product! You should give it a try!

Working with multiple files at the same time (HTML + CSS files) is easy with Brackets. Everything is on a mouse-click reach and the interface is clean, avoiding distractions. Also, working with shortcuts is practical and saves me a lot of time.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

Brackets review by <span>Kavish J.</span>
Kavish J.

"My Favorite IDE for Web Development "

What do you like best?

Be it an html file, CSS file or js file, Brackets is the best for web development. I am currently using it for web development using react and Brackets help me to view my Package.json file and also the new split window feature allows me to compare codes by viewing two files at the same time. Also, I like the theme which Brackets provides. It is so soft on my eyes and it's because of that I can work for long hours without straining my eyes. Also, in brackets I can open project folders as well as individual files which makes it better than other text editors. Best part : it's free.

What do you dislike?

The only think which I dislike about Brackets is that it sometimes crashes on my MacBook Pro 2017 with High Sierra OS. But this occurs rarely and hence Brackets is my favorite IDE for Web.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Brackets for Web Development.

I'm using Brackets for Web Development and it helps me for faster development by auto refreshing the web pages when changes are being saved.

Brackets review by <span>Greg G.</span>
Greg G.

"For Front end development, Brackets is as user friendly as it gets"

What do you like best?

Brackets has this sort of built-in CSS manager. It lets you go through your html file and right click on classes (or cmd click, I believe) to open up that class in the related CSS file. it's really great

What do you dislike?

Beyond front end development, I don't love it. I much prefer using VS Code for other things. For basic web development, though, I really can't complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for front end dev work - it is great. For back end or things that may be a bit more involved, consider VS Code. Both are free, there is no reason you shouldn't try both.

I am not sure if I'd consider it a problem. I think I use it as a tool and I suppose that solves problems, but it is more of a vitamin than a pill. It enhances my front end dev work, but not much else.

Brackets review by <span>Anna S.</span>
Anna S.

"It's just alright. "

What do you like best?

It's free, so that's good. But other than that, it's kinda meh. For me it's worth it to use a more beefed up software like the ones available on Adobe Creative Cloud.

What do you dislike?

No good way to test your site that's not super roundabout and random. I wasted a lot of time in this program! I also dislike that the export is a bit of a hassle. I usually have to copy/paste or transfer the file into another program to actually use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you're willing to do the extra work to use this, don't bother. There are better free programs out there that you can use.

Was creating websites for small businesses on it. I've since moved to Adobe Muse/Dreamweaver. I would say I wasted a lot of time on this software and didn't really solve problems for my clients with it. If you are someone who is willing to do extra work for the sake of a free program, then go nuts.

Brackets review by <span>Kishore K.</span>
Kishore K.

"A open-sourced editor"

What do you like best?

Live Preview - The Live Preview feature launches a new Chrome window showing the current page that not only doesn’t require a manual refresh when you change a file, but also as you type.

Quick Edit - The Quick Edit feature is context-specific, third-party extensions will provide additional contexts for Quick Edit.

Brackets implements code completion, and, it’s fast. Really fast.

What do you dislike?

Frontend Focused - Brackets is primarily aimed at front end developers and web designers.So if u r not a front end Developer then brackets might not help u much as other editors could.

Extension Management Could Be Better - Brackets has a lot to offer in terms of extensions and installing them is quick and easy. However, overall this whole area could use some work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is relatively lightweight, slick, easy to use and has most of the functionality users would expect from a modern code editor. Apart from that, the open source project by Adobe comes with some outstanding features so far not seen anywhere else. Quick editing and live preview are really useful and make frontend work much easier. An addition to that, the extension manager and wide choice of plugins let users turn Brackets into exactly the development environment they need it to be.

It’s pretty good, very “object oriented” in the sense it knows what you’re editing, and can “jump” to definitions, snippets, files, etc. related with where you are editing.

Brackets review by <span>Pasquale V.</span>
Pasquale V.

"Essential and useful"

What do you like best?

I really like that Brackets is an open-source editor with different features such as the quick edit and the live preview that allow you to be more fast and efficient during your work experience.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the live preview is not working very well and you have to check and refresh it. It does not happen often, but it is an issue that I think should be solved as soon as possible. Another problem is that the live preview is working well only with the web browser Chrome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is a fantastic open-source editor thought for web developing. It is free so everyone can try it and better understand if this is the best program for them. Plus, during my work experience, I noticed that is very simple and it has a good interface. I really appreciated all the features (such as the live preview, even if it works only with the browser Chrome) and the opportunity to better develop my projects, thanks to the suggestions included inside. I think that Bracket could be a good choice for everyone who wants to start a web-developer career and has a little understanding of coding. The program is intuitive and not so difficult to understand and use. The program does not require many specs on your pc, so you can install it on every kind of machine. I think that is a very interesting program to edit!

Brackets is a fantastic open-source editor for web development. It is free and it has many differents features. During my work, my team and I really appreciated the fact that is free first of all, and then, thanks to the live preview and with the different plugins, it improved our work very well. We were faster and more focused on different projects. The user friendly interface allowed us to simplify our work.

Brackets review by <span>David B.</span>
David B.

"Flexible markup software with extended plugin support for web development."

What do you like best?

The plugins move Adobe's Brackets above a standard text editor by providing extended features found in more robust systems such as Visual Studio and Dreamweaver. The live preview is amazing and allows the user to see the site as it is being coded.

What do you dislike?

ASP and ASP.net support would be wonderful. You can code ASP pages, however, you cannot use the live preview. Also, include files for ASP would be a nice addition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a powerful, extendible solution for HTML markup and scripting, look no further than Brackets. It is easy to use, backed by Adobe and extendible through plugins.

Years ago, I fell in love with Microsoft's WebMatrix software. However, they discontinued the product around the same time I switch to Mac OS. I've tried many solutions, but all have fallen short of my needs and expectations. Brackets has become my go-to software for web development. The plugins add additional functions and the simple interface keeps my workspace uncluttered.

Brackets review by <span>Alexander N.</span>
Alexander N.

"Best text editor for web development "

What do you like best?

In first-hand the think I like the most from Brackets, is its simplicity and way of handling an entire web development project. The fact that you can customize the app so you can feel more comfortable while using it, cause you spend a lot of time on it.

It also offers the possibility to install plug-ins that can make the everyday coding job so much easier and pleasant contributing to save great amounts of coding time.

another big point on its favor is the real-time preview, so it seems to act as a WYSIWYG text editor. allowing you to see how the project is turning out as you type.

What do you dislike?

After using Brackets for almost 3 years, there is very little that I dislike about it. However, it's safe to say that Brackets it's mainly created or targeted to front-end developers (HTML, CSS, JS) and I’d be great to see new features and plug-ins that can help you carry out some Back-end tasks, like connecting to a data base and manipulating its data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Brackets to be your new text editor for web projects, go ahead and take a chance on it, cause you won't be disappointed. and the best part is that it's free.

I work, as a freelancer developing web sites and web applications and brackets is my favorite app for writing code whether is to design a web page using just HTML and CSS or to manipulate important date from a MySQL database.

Brackets review by <span>Dr. C. Michael S.</span>
Dr. C. Michael S.

"Adobe for Coding - great product"

What do you like best?

The option for multiple programming languages, the constant plugins at no cost, and the "hint" component. That makes for a great product in my opinion. The fact that I can have themes of any color combination shows how customizable it is. I love that part.

What do you dislike?

After using Brackets and advising others to use it for the past 2.5 years, there is almost no aspect of Brackets that I dislike. However, there is one small issue I have with it. I cannot get rid of the default index.html and main.css file that it initially opens with. If I delete them, then when I open Brackets, it gives and error message. I can click past the error and it is fine, but I would prefer not having to go through this ordeal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expand the live review to function beyond Google Chrome. Personally, this is fine for me; however, there are others that I introduce this to that would prefer that it would open in Firefox or Safari. I think keeping it with open source browsers is perfect.

I teach various web development languages. Brackets is the most outstanding application because my students "must" do the coding in order to see the results versus other WSIWIG apps that does the coding as you make the site. Additionally, I am a web developer myself, so I use it for coding or editing snippets of code. I could find a number of things more that it helps me realize.

Brackets review by <span>Bruna A.</span>
Bruna A.

"A free tool with lots of features."

What do you like best?

The live preview is one of the most useful features on Brackets, you have a wide selection of extensions to choose from, making Brackets highly customizable, it has support for other languages, and it's free.

What do you dislike?

My only problem with Brackets is that it can consume a lot of memory sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is perfect for small projects and for people who are new to web development, and since it's free, you don't have to worry about expenses. When trying Brackets for the first time, take some hours to get used to the tool, or if you like to learn while you code, at least take a look at the Extension Manager, you may find a useful extension to help increase productivity.

I use Brackets to create simple interfaces using HTML and CSS for web applications created on Python.

Brackets review by <span>Crystal P.</span>
Crystal P.

"My favourite html/css editor"

What do you like best?

I like how organised the code is, just hitting the tab button it knows how to align the html elements correctly with eachother. I also like the color differences in the elements. I like that it gives helpful suggestions to finishing your code. I like the live preview feature.

What do you dislike?

I dislike when inspecting elements in the live preview it breaks away from being a live preview. I can no longer click on elements and it takes me to the correct place in the code.

It facilitates my job. I work in brackets 75% of the time. The benefit is it's a light-weight program to use. It helps you organise your files, everything is there to pick and choose from in the right hand navigation. Again, the live preview is a great feature.

Brackets review by Administrator

"IDE for web developer and designer"

What do you like best?

Me gusta mucho porque es ligero, sencillo y fácil de usar, se le pueden agregar herramientas que facilitan el desarrollo y la productividad. Tiene muchas funciones útiles como intellisense, indentado automático, minificación de css, entre otras pero la que mas destaco es poder ir editando una web en tiempo real mientra vamos viendo los cambio aplicarse en el renderisado del diseño.

What do you dislike?

- Suele quedarse colgado algunas veces cuando se editan archivos muy grandes.

- El servidor que incorpora internamente para poder mostrar el diseño final en el navegador nativamente solo soporta html, pienso que esto es fácil de resolver incorporando algún servidor web mas robusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yo recomendaría su uso por ser un editor muy completo que soporta múltiples archivos y lenguajes como html, css, javascript, PHP, entre otros, ademas nos permite hacer modificaciones en tiempo real visualizando los cambios a medida que lo vamos realizando.

Brackets ayuda a simplificar bastante las tareas relacionadas con desarrollo web ya que incorpora múltiples herramientas que realizan los proceso mas habituales de forma automatizada.

Brackets review by <span>Sabbir M.</span>
Sabbir M.

"Static Web Application Development With Brackets"

What do you like best?

The hosting mode Brackets provide is the best feature I love about it. When you are writing webpages in brackets, it has a hosting mode which opens a browser and updates the page in real time as we update the html code. With the hosting mode, other static pages and links (css and images) can be included relatively. So we don't need to put the absolute links for testing. Starting from the development, we can put relative link instead of absolute.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I have realized is its performance. It seems that the memory usage and cpu usage are high. Compared to other text editor, it acts slow.

Also brackets is unable to open some text files. I have seen that it is unable to open text files with extension .dat, .log.<date>

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to use Brackets for the following reasons:

- it has a hosted mode so that you can directly test your static web pages. You don't need to work on separate servers for test.

- The hosted mode updates you webpage in realtime. i.e. if you made any code change, it is reflected in the browser

- brackets recognizes file formats html, css, javascript. So it is able to format those files properly.

I am using brackets to edit static files like html and css style files. Besides I have also developed static website completely in brackets.

Brackets review by <span>Kunal V.</span>
Kunal V.

"Versatile IDE with bunch of plugins"

What do you like best?

It is one of the best IDE I have ever worked with. The vast variety of integrated language tools make it handy to code even easier and IntelliSense for checking the syntax error is one of the best feature provided with brackets. I must recommend Brackets to those who love to code by themselves rather using the snippet. Integrated Browser is another feature for the one who wishes to develop the web application and check the content in real time. It also provides regular patches with timely updates to the current

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about brackets is that it takes a bit more time than other IDE's to Start

Recommendations to others considering the product

I must recommend the other coding enthusiast to try brackets. It provides all the basic features of IDE to develop the scalable project easily.I am currently working with a project based on cryptography which includes the coding in JSP and XHTML. Brackets make it easier to keep code handy. The major benefit that I have realized is that the code written within the brackets looks neat and clean. It provide the vast variety of the fonts available that may attract the regular coding enthusiast.

Brackets review by <span>Jimmy M.</span>
Jimmy M.

"Start programming in every modern language"

What do you like best?

Brackets is free to download and it's opensource.

It has a great community of users where you can ask for help.

The setup and installation it's very simple it only takes a minute to complete.

The interface it's minimalist, clean and beatitul, also you can change the theme.

There are many extensions for adding more features to Brackets and if you want you can create your own plugin.

With a click on the live preview button, Brackets will open the current file automatically in your default browser, this saves you a lot time also when you change something in the code, it will automatically be loaded in the browser so you don'tneed to reload the page everytime.

What do you dislike?

Brackets it's frontend focused, so there are not debugging tools or databases features

The Extension Management doesn't update the software instead it takes you to the download page.

When you want to install a new extension there is only one big list without any filtering options or categories, it could take a bit of time finding an specific extension.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is one of the best code editors right now, it's fast, modern and reliable.

Creating websites from scratch it's very fast.

The software it's very easy to use, no need to waste time training.

Brackets review by <span>Dinesh P.</span>
Dinesh P.

"An open source text editor for masses"

What do you like best?

The live preview during web allows faster development

What do you dislike?

The startup time is a bit slow. It's not suitable for low end pc. The ui could be improved a bit actually though overall ui is good there are some issues in some components of ui.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Live preview is awesome guys. Being an open source text editor , it has good support. It's free of cost and trying it would not cost you anything so why not just give it a go.

I'm an indie developer so it has actually yield me benefits in most of the cases. The only thing is hate is the startup time. Otherwise talking about benefits , it has features like plugins , live preview , text highlighting which are really helpful.

But due to performance issues i had to shift to sublime . But if the performance issues are resolved... Brackets is a no brainer.

Brackets review by <span>Patrick S.</span>
Patrick S.

"Brackets opens everything"

What do you like best?

Brackets is a text editor that is capable to open everything, I mean really everything, Brackets does not care about the file type, it opens without auto formating or changing your file. Brackets also has the hability to create, save and open files in many code extensions from HTML to python, or UNIX scripts. One of the most amazing things about Brackets is the Extension Manager, you can install extensions to help you during the code with hints, tips and pre-build scripts. The live feature is super nice for webdesigners because you can check the website changes without going online and it is super fast.

What do you dislike?

It is cheese to say, but Brackets does not have anything that I dislike. Maybe if the program comes with more themes and templates prebuild, it would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is a free software which is amazing. This software helps webdesigners, bioinformatics people and also casual users. Brackets is super light, opens quickly and it looks way better than a boring notepad editor. Download it, you won't regret it.

Brackets has the ability to open everything without changing your data and this is awesome. I work with big TSV files and pythons scripts and I always got errors during the copy-paste in other softwares, but Brackets does it without problems.

Brackets review by <span>Carlos T.</span>
Carlos T.

"A good code editor"

What do you like best?

It is available for Mac, Windows and Linux. The project started and maintained by Adobe, but it’s not a commercial product.

My favorite feature is divide the window into two parts (both vertically and horizontally), with this options is able to work more than one file at once.

It have a text predicto, while you are typing, Brackets will propose you code elements that fit wiht your input, it very useful.

It has has native support for HTML, CSS and JavaScript, the code highlighting works with other lengugajes, I use it with PHP.

With the live preview button, Brackets open the current file in Chrome.

For my the best is the amount of free extensions available.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i have problems with some extensions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a very good options, a good alternative to Notepad++ and Sublime Text.

I use it for HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Brackets review by <span>Pedro C.</span>
Pedro C.

"When you have to work fast with javascript or HTML and CSS, use brackets"

What do you like best?

It is the perfect tool when you have to make a project HTML CSS Javascript, It is a agile tool, and the more you use it the more you love it. I love the shortcuts of code, they save a lot of time. The intellisense is very usefull and powerfull too, Brackets know all your class, all your objects, etc when you are typing.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to know all the features of brackets, i have needed tutorials, I think the learning curve is difficult.

I would like small tips when you run the application showing all the tool features

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a web designer or a frontend developer and you want a open source, powerfull and free tool, please try Brackets

With Brackets you can use a very proffesional tool for free for the frontend development (HTML, CSS, Javascript)

Brackets review by <span>Karl G.</span>
Karl G.

"Brackets Open Source Web Editor Review."

What do you like best?

Brackets is a fast light-weight editor with a clean and intuitive interface. I like that it doesn't have hundreds of panels and quirky processes to get caught up on.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a little more educational material on the product. I would also like it if we had more color pallet options. Also, I have issues with it's connection to the Creative Cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets isn't a good entry point for people who don't understand or write HTML. It's a great upgrade and alternative to writing in notepad and Dreamweaver. But you need to understand what you're doing.

Brackets allows me to quickly get into the code and make changes without shuffling through panels and features.

Brackets review by <span>Richard C.</span>
Richard C.

"So long TextWrangler!"

What do you like best?

Brackets is the clean, functional, fast text editor that can be as simple or complex as you wish. The application design never leaves you feeling uncertain of what file you’re in, if it was saved or what syntax your scribing. Mac users will love it as a replacement for TextWrangler and with Brackets ever growing community developed plugins you can be ready at a moments notice to dive deep into the newest coding language or just dabble in it if you wish. A flexible and capable editor.

What do you dislike?

There are some file/folder find/replace features that TextWrangler has that I’m not sure Brackets supports yet. I’d like to see continued development of this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I tried many text editors trying to find the right mix of abilty, stability and price point. Brackets is right up there with Coda to me. The interface and ease of use is spectacular. The cost can’t be beat.

Able to quickly code in several languages at an instant.

Brackets review by <span>James R.</span>
James R.

"Effective software without extra hassle"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the interface makes working much easier and effective. It's also customizable with plugins, so if you need something extra you can usually install it at will instead of being stuck with a bunch of features you don't need.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve when coming from DreamWeaver can be a bit high and make the program feel not as responsive. Simple things like hitting the 'end' button to go to the end of a line instead of the file takes a bit to get used to. I also wish that there was an easier way to keep files open without cluttering up the left column.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve can be annoying once you realize that the DreamWeaver keyboard shortcuts don't all work in Brackets. There are plugins to help with some of that, and in some cases you just have to retrain yourself.

This program is essential to website building and code writing. Since it isn't bogged down by unnecessary plugins or "helpful tools", I can focus on writing clean code without extra hassle.

Brackets review by <span>Raúl S.</span>
Raúl S.

"Brackets a good text editor for HTML & CSS"

What do you like best?

Brackets has some interesting features for me:

With Brackets we can see the changes that we make in real time without reloading the browser.

Other feature is that Brackets shows a pop-up with the previsualization for colors and images in css.

Autocomplete for HTML tags and CSS attributes.

It has many plugins to improve your user experience, such as the emmet plugin or plugins for SASS.

What do you dislike?

Tthe least I like is that it is a text editor oriented to HTML and CSS, if you want to use it for PHP or Javascript there are better options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you only write in HTML or CSS it is a great option due to its specific features.

The benefits that Brackets gives me is speed when writing in HTML and CSS, I save time when writing HTML and CSS code.

Brackets review by <span>Adeline D.</span>
Adeline D.

"Great tool for Web Devlopment."

What do you like best?

The GUI is clean, easy to navigate; the extension manager has plenty useful tools, support for programming languages like Python, the Live Preview feature and the possibility to open and preview images.

What do you dislike?

Brackets can take some time to load, and Live Preview sometimes stops working.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always hard to choose which text editor to use, and you should give Brackets a chance.

It is easy to use, the extension manager has plenty of useful extensions, such as HTML beautifier, and the help from the Live Preview mode, which can be helpful for fixing problems with the design in real time.

I use Bracket for web development and for analyzing HTML and Javascript codes.

"Great Editor Brackets"

What do you like best?

I have used lots of editing tools but "brackets" is one of my favorite. It has a very good look, enhanced features, and almost have everything you need. It is supported in windows, mac, and Linux. People who are familiar with sublime can easily adopt "brackets" as it also has same look and feel of sublime but in its own way. Plugin support for brackets is also very good you would get almost all plugins you required and are very easy to install then you just code, code and enjoy. The best thing is its open source so you need no to worry about licence or any cost and its very lightweight.

What do you dislike?

I am using brackets for most of the project development and even for small script development and never faced issues. Sometimes in Linux, it lags at the start but after that its smooth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and very good tool for developmenet.

As we already know that "brackets" is open source tool so it would save company cost to get an enhanced and powerful editor for code development.

Brackets review by <span>Md Azmain A.</span>
Md Azmain A.

"Best text editor for Macbooks. "

What do you like best?

Brackets has a very sleek and clean look. I love the white background with dark grey borders. The colors are not too strong but not weak either. The pallette is very gentle on the eyes and that's important when you are spending 7+ hours infront of the monitor. The sidebar allows you to move between files very easily as well.

The Live preview feature is great for seeing your html files on the fly and helps you visualize the finished prodcut.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to run the files directly and that can annoying. It's great for client side coding but not so great for server side programming.

For programming purposes. Brackets was my choice when I needed a text editor for my Macbook.

Brackets review by <span>SHEETAL K.</span>
SHEETAL K.

"Best code editor to quick edit your code"

What do you like best?

Brackets can open all type of text file that have code. If you are using different programming languages simultaneously then it is best option to write the code. It maintains the track of working files so easily jump from one code to another.

What do you dislike?

Pre complier is not so good, It can not tel the reference errors and dependancies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like to recommend this editor to all programmers for any type of code or data editing.

It solved problem of switching from one editor to another when using different language at one time.

Brackets review by <span>Chris L.</span>
Chris L.

"Great free text editor for basic code editing"

What do you like best?

Brackets is totally free, and it lets you edit several different kinds of code. It will tell you when you've forgotten to close a div, or if the syntax of your script is off. It also allows you to open an entire project folder rather than have to hunt around for the file that you want to edit. This makes it great for people who occasionally need to edit a bit of code, and those who are running an open source local development environment.

What do you dislike?

It has a habit of trying to close things off for me that occasionally injects a tag where I didn't want one. It also isn't quite as full featured as a software like visual studio, which has a million tricks to help power users hunt down what file is referenced where in a complex project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of text editors out there, and not a lot of differentiation between them in my opinion. Brackets is free, and gets the job done pretty well.

Brackets lets me edit snippets of code from HTML and CSS to Javascript, SQL, and PHP. I can make changes to the various software products that I work on without having to have a license to visual studio.

Brackets review by <span>Richard R.</span>
Richard R.

"The best option for plain text editing on Mac"

What do you like best?

As a programmer that constantly needs to edit text config files, the aesthetics and functionality of Brackets gives me the best app for the job. Plain and simple. The ability to modify the json config for Brackets itself to customize the experience is a huge bonus.

What do you dislike?

While I greatly appreciate the ability to modify the config file directly, I believe that some users might appreciate a more user-friendly customization option. Or sometimes an advanced user might want a quick fix without editing the json file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an advanced plain text editor for development within Mac, Brackets is pretty much the best there is outside of text console editing.

I am constantly editing plain text configuration files for hardware and its associated programming. The ability to cleanly edit a config file without random 'invisible' control codes being inserted into the code make it mandatory to have an advanced text editor. In the Mac environment, outside of editing documents within the command shell, Brackets is the best option.

Brackets review by <span>Aris G.</span>
Aris G.

"Fast, reliable, beautiful, customizable"

What do you like best?

Brackets itself is developed by using just CSS JavaScript and HTML which means its open source. It's lightweight and really fast. Its live preview feature works as charm. It has library of themes and extensions to be customized. Some extensions really bring the product to the next level by giving ability to shorten the code and work directly on ftp server. It works much better and easier and it's more user friendly than any software out there including Adobe Dreamweaver if you're writing the code from scratch.

What do you dislike?

There's really not much I dislike about the product. It gets better with every update. The only thing I'd point out is not being able to use chromes developer tools which disconnects the preview page from brackets' live local server. although you can change the colors inside CSS by pressing ctrl/cmd + E it's sometimes crucial to use developer tools when you're working with just one display.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd suggest those who are new to Brackets to browse around for tips and tricks. Believe me it has a lot of functions need to be discovered and extensions that are crucial for optimized user experience.

I was using Adobe Dreamweaver when I came across to brackets. I was amazed by its speed and how better it is to view the live preview directly in the browser. It helps me to write CSS and Html in the same window. it made the whole process of writing the code easy and fun. If you're using more than one display you can split the brackets screen to change the CSS and the HTML by viewing the preview of the changes you make on real time inside a browser on the other monitor.

Brackets review by <span>Carlos R.</span>
Carlos R.

"noobie coding"

What do you like best?

As a beginner in the code world i just love the autocomplete features, it makes your job faster and you'll be sure that you wont misswrite the attribute or stuff like that, also you have your librarie on your left side of the UI so you can swicht easily between your CSS, JS or HTML code or even just click on one ID in your html code and see the CSS code for that ID just awesome.

What do you dislike?

Even if its cool it might have some way to make it better, like it miss something.

Its made for WEB development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As i say im a beginner on this code world, but i strongly recommend it mostly for this new features that i've never seen on other text editors, even if at the beggining you'll feel weird and wanting to go back, the new features will bring you back, so give it a chance.

Im a Designer freelancer starting on the web development, and have made some "homework" and "experiments" to studie and keep learning.

Brackets review by <span>Jose H.</span>
Jose H.

"Not that lightweight yet powerful."

What do you like best?

Brackets feels like an extension of Chrome’s Developer tools. The Live Preview feature is incredibly useful, combining the advantages of coding in the browser with those of a dedicated editor. Its other killer feature for me is Quick Edit, although it feels like that’s some way off from its full potential. However, by tapping into users’ knowledge of web technologies, it seems likely that any gaps will quickly be filled by contributions. it is much less memory hungry than WebStorm or Eclipse, it is flexible and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

It's too specific. It's good for front end web development, but nothing else. It is heavy, slow and bloated. Contrary to their propaganda. 150 MB isn’t what I would call lightweight… It’s worth pointing out that Brackets is primarily aimed at front end developers and web designers. Although it’s essentially a text editor and therefore suitable for coding pretty much anything, it’s optimized for HTML, CSS, and JS (as well as derivatives such as SASS, Less, CoffeeScript, and so on). Ruby, Python, PHP developers, and the like might be better served looking elsewhere, whether that be for a fully-fledged IDE or something more lightweight such as Sublime or, indeed, Atom.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, and judge by yourself. It doesn’t take so much time… it you want something faster, try Sublime.

Quick code editing on the go. It's powerful, modern text editor.

Brackets review by <span>Glen M.</span>
Glen M.

"A mountain of features comes at the cost of speed."

What do you like best?

Brackets is one of the best free code editors on the market, only recently surpassed by Atom. It has a host of features, and a dedicated community of developers who have built a tonne of plugins. Up until recently it was my editor of choice as it was free, open-source, pretty to look at, easy to use, and had a stack of custom features to make coding simple and streamlined.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately like so many Adobe products, the wide variety of features often comes at the expense of performance. It's a little slow to open, and extra slow when searching for and installing extension plugins. Once it's open, you'll be fine... but the startup and process hangs are very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check out Atom as well. It's a newer code editor that's quite similar. The workflow is a little different, but on the whole they are quite comparable. I found the speed a little faster with Atom too.

I started with brackets because it had some great features you couldn't find elsewhere - like the integration with Adobe Photoshop. This helped speed up the design to development process. Like most modern day editors, the open-source aspect was also desirable - having moved away from proprietary software like Panic's Coda and MacRabbit's Espresso.

Brackets review by <span>Etienne S.</span>
Etienne S.

"Beautiful and simple tool for coding"

What do you like best?

The visual appearance of the software: it is simple, modern and sharp.

What do you dislike?

When I open a HTML tag (for eg.: <div>), I hate that Brackets automatically inserts the closing tag (</div>). More often, I insert tags only at the end, so I need to delete every time this ending tag.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is better than NotePad++, at my opinion. I is easier and more performant.

At my opinion, it is the best coding tool I've ever use. I often use it to create email HTML signatures. It is also a good tool to just create raw text file (to be sure that I don't have any formatting).

Brackets review by <span>Giusy C.</span>
Giusy C.

"The BEST coding editor for budding engineers!!"

What do you like best?

Brackets is definitely my favorite code editor out there! It's easy to use, you can write multiple languages on it and the best part is, it connects all your code pages together and runs them easily in order to test you what you're working on. If you are learning to write code, it is definitely the best editor to use!

What do you dislike?

I have been using Brackets for about 6 months and I haven't come across anything I don't like yet. However, when first beginning to use it, it can be a little difficult to understand how to switch projects around on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it!! I am so happy I found this text editor. It is making my code writing journey so much easier!

I have been learning mostly Front End development on Brackets and building small websites for friend's side businesses, etc... Brackets just makes it so easy to work on projects!

Brackets review by <span>Phuong H.</span>
Phuong H.

"One of the best code editors out there."

What do you like best?

The UI is generally simple and user-friendly, leading to the comofrtability for users when it comes to do the coding as well as reading big amount of codes. The software also has a good way of providing good shortcuts for editing while editting the codes, which is super helpful for professional working environments.

What do you dislike?

There should be more theme options when it comes to choosing the UI theme display. Dark and light themes are not enough for some working environments. It would be better if the files could get displayed based on projects and fields on the Working Files bar on the left.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best options for code editor softwares.

Anything involving coding includes projects, code reviews and modifications.

Brackets review by <span>Kunal V.</span>
Kunal V.

"One of the best code/test editors on Mac"

What do you like best?

Very easy management of open files. Ability to reopen all previously opened files. Live preview features for js and html files is also very helpful in those scenarios.

What do you dislike?

No support for basic Auto-complete and swift syntax highlighting is not present. It would be much more helpful for swift devs if the highlighting is present for swift.

Recommendations to others considering the product

On Macs there's no competitor to Brackets. Just switch and you'll know why.

Very time efficient, especially in managing multiple podfiles for various iOS projects.

Quick editing of Source code files eliminate the need of opening XCode everytime, which is more power hungry and time consuming.

Brackets review by <span>fredrick M.</span>
fredrick M.

"WEB DESIGN EDITOR"

What do you like best?

i have been using brackets for about 4 years now it has not disappointed me yet,what i love most about brackets is the live preview button which is readily available on the right panel which makes it easy for me when am making my websites,i dont have to repeatedly reload the browser

What do you dislike?

well i dont know if its my pc or what but sometimes it just lags a little bit when you open it

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since its the best editor, i would suggest adding virtual emulators for app development so that i wont need any other editor for my app development.

i love the way you put that file list on the left but i am a lover of tabs so maybe you can put that as a additional option for people like me who loves tabs

web developement,..many features which increases efficiency when coding

Brackets review by <span>James G.</span>
James G.

"Great for Content Creators and Front-end Devs"

What do you like best?

Brackets simplifies the content creation process. It allows you to seamlessly embed images, videos and other content into your code.

What do you dislike?

It's still a bit scattered from a UX standpoint. The add-ons or plugins are a bit vague and hard to comprehend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For content creators and front-end web designers, brackets allows you to design and code seamlessly. Highly recommended.

Brackets streamlines my marketing business needs. I am a Content Manager and sometimes that involves coding. Brackets makes that process much more user-friendly for someone with moderate experience coding.

Brackets review by User in Building Materials
User in Building Materials

"Takes a lot of the headaches out of guessing what the front end will look like "

What do you like best?

Brackets is lightweight, doesn't bloat your computer with unnecessary files and its easy to use once you get the hand of it.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything now but at the start of using it a while back, it was a bit confusing but then when that "aha" moment hit, I never looked back to what I was doing before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

read the basic introduction articles and do small test runs to get familiar with the vast tools that Brackets offers. It's lightweight but once you really start to use the underlying tools, you will be amazed as to how much more powerful the application is.

Being able to hard code and the ability to have an almost self-assist in some of the mundane elements, this app has decreased the time it takes to develop front-end web pages. The ability to organize projects also comes in handy when the app itself provides default locations of your data.

Brackets review by <span>Guido G.</span>
Guido G.

"Need a code Editor, Brackets is for you"

What do you like best?

If you need a code editor, don't think more, Adobe Brackets is for you. Brackets is a Adobe product, but is open source. It is a modern text editor that makes it easy to design apps. It's crafted from the ground up for web designers and front-end developers. It integrate with windows contextual menu and can open any document just by rightclic on it and select Open in Brackets.

What do you dislike?

Brackets only open document in UTF8, so if you need open some documents with other codifications, simply you can't. Some times, to apply a theme need to be executed with Administrator account or changes will lose in next open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you think that sublime text is superior to brackes, just give it an opportunity, and never go from brackets. It has all neccesary to be the better code front and back-end editor. It remmind you when there is a new update and easily can download it to install with new features and without lose your addons or plugins installed.

Ok, Brackets is free so you can take a professional editor for free, no need register or pay nothing. Is open source, thats mean you can create your own addons, and if is nice, you can share it to the community and more lifes will be fine.

Brackets review by User in Internet

"Best replacement for those looking to move on from SublimeText"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love the look and feel of Brackets. The interface is beautiful and the plugins are endless. You can tell Brackets was built by the Adobe community because it feels complete. The autocomplete features are better done than Sublime's.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if you switch computers you can't save your Brackets plugins and setup. I recently had to reset my computer and for the life of me I can't find my favorite plugin and there isn't a way to get it back. So that's a bummer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is only going to get better. I've been using it since it was in beta and it's improved month-to-month.

I am coding for myself, freelance clients and my employer. It integrates beautifully with VisualStudio.

Brackets review by User in Computer Software

"Quick and simple to use"

What do you like best?

Live Preview is the best feature. You can see the changes you are making without having to refresh the browser. I also like how you can quickly edit an external CSS file from within another file without having to open it. Also the autocomplete feature is great. The UI is simple and basic, without distractions. The sidebar gives you quick access to your files and folders. It also allows you to have extensions installed adding several capabilities to it. It's open source so everyone can contribute. Brackets is a great tool for any website coding.

What do you dislike?

If you are not a coder, you might be in trouble to change its settings. Brackets shows the settings options as .json files, so it's not visual, instead you have to change the code within those file to change the settings.

It's easy enough but completely designed for coders.

Greatest benefit is that it's very easy and simple to use, pretty basic code editing tool, however it has enough features to boost your productivity.

Brackets review by <span>Ankush K.</span>
Ankush K.

"Brackets Review"

What do you like best?

It's the most lightest version of any software I've ever used for front end development. The displayed hierarchy of project is really cool and you can easily switch between files. I gives you a lot of sample files before you start with any project.

What do you dislike?

Although it’s essentially a text editor and therefore suitable for coding pretty much anything, but it’s optimized for HTML, CSS, and JS (as well as derivatives such as SASS, Less, CoffeeScript, and so on. But it's not preferred for back end development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend this to everyone who do front end development as it's very light weight and fast.

Developing front-end framework for web applications using HTML, CSS, Javascript. I use it for my personal projects as well as solving industry level problems.

Brackets review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"More than a editor with its extensions and node based live preview"

What do you like best?

I like the editor because it provides and easy-to-use and clean interface, with loads of extensions for code beautification, automatic javascript minification, and syntax validation for various languages or markup languages.

What do you dislike?

If I had to identify an area of improvement, I would suggest improving the extension manager so that new extensions updates can be updated automatically, but this is a minor improvement suggestion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a small install, so give it a try, there is nothing to lose. You might find that you'll be hooked.

Over the past 8 years I have been forced to migrate my company's cloud based application from Flash to HTML, CSS, Javascript. It has been a learning curve as I would rather build UI's with a drag-and-drop designer. Live Preview and some great improvement within browsers have made the migration easier. I also have had to understand the additional challenges with code obfuscation (minification, etc.). Brackets has really helped me manage the files needed for a client side controller (Angular) and the various view elements (html, css, jQuery).

Brackets review by <span>Abraham S.</span>
Abraham S.

"Aesthetically Pleasing IDE"

What do you like best?

I was quite surprised that adobe produced a reasonable IDE that I could stand to work in, and open source too! It has all the features one comes to expect from a web-centric IDE. Things like live preview, LESS and Sass support, live previewing, and lots more.

What do you dislike?

This IDE met my approval overall and I had no memorable dislikes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a decent balance between minimalism, functionality, and aesthetics in your web development IDE, Brackets is definitely worth a look.

This IDE has become one of several which I recommend to other developers. Being lightweight and simple (or more accurately having a subtle interface), it is a fun IDE with which to work. I even recommend it to the beginning developers who I help train.

Brackets review by User

"Simple for the most advanced tasks"

What do you like best?

The design and ease of use is great. You have your tab of working projects on the side where you can bounce back and forth between files without losing track of your progress. Brackets supports all kinds of coding languages to help and visualize how the code is set up and help to identify broken tags, objects, etc. Great live test features and auto-filling properties make typing a breeze.

What do you dislike?

A little lag when switching files can sometimes throw my flow of work out of order, but not a deal breaker. Would be great to have a little more drag and drop features to add frequently used phrases or properties in a snap. But still important to keep the total simplicity. Overall a pretty snappy app to open and view all kinds of coded file types.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this app for coding beginners all the way to the advanced coders.Great for an app to view and edit common code, and it's basic nature helps to get straight to the point. You can do basically anything on it. However with very advanced tasks, a more feature-packed coding app may be suitable for your job needs. It's open-source development app is a nice addition to any programmer or file viewer alike.

Helped to solve having to deal with over complicated coding applications. I just needed an app to efficiently code HTML, PHP, CSS, and the like, and it delivered. Commands and organization features help to create efficient, nicely documented code.

Brackets review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Custom tailored text editing software for the avid developer."

What do you like best?

The fact I am able to customize the behavior of the program using javascript to my liking has enhanced my workflow. On many text based editors the tags automatically close when you create the opening tag, all this has ever done is slow me down because I know where I want them to go to keep them orderly and not stuck at the end of the line I am working on.

What do you dislike?

Some larger files can hinder the performance dramatically, when loading in a CSV that I use which contains every car make model and year and their respective speaker sizes and locations it tends to lag very badly. This is quite a large file for text, but should be relatively light on system performance considering it is about 18 MB when I'll often work on graphics files over 1 GB.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you customize it to suit your needs before judgment is made.

I can use it to problem solve and find errors in the file that can lead to unwanted functionality and errors in our web pages. The program highlights the beginning tag that you are working on as well as the end tag which can show you if it is in the wrong place or got deleted by accident.

Brackets review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

"Awesome functions, but made with slow framework"

What do you like best?

Cross platform software, that offers same similar look and feel across all major platforms, I work: Linux, MacOS and Windows.

Very fast development and update cycle that provides support for latest web development technologies.

Big community of developers, commiting broad range of plug-ins, available to extend Brackets.

What do you dislike?

Brackets is written in Javascript and it consumes much resources to run. I'd like to use it on my low-end laptop, released in 2009, but it lags!

Some plug-ins are very unstable. For example, Git add-on freezes on large repositories, etc.

Not all Linux repositories are compatible with Brackets. The problem occurs in stable branches of REHL, Debian & SuSe, because of old glibc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not overload Brackets with extensions.

I am a free-lance web developer, who used to work on several workspaces: at home & in office.

Brackets review by <span>Shivam T.</span>
Shivam T.

"Most essential tool for a web developer "

What do you like best?

The UI and plugin support makes everything easy. The feature where the direct view of css code is visible from html is the best thing I liked about it. Also the live reload feature is great!

What do you dislike?

Never faced any difficulty while using it. It's great to work on Brackets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every web developer must try this, I guarantee you will switch to Brackets once you use it.

It has eased my working on web development projects.

Brackets review by <span>Michelle D.</span>
Michelle D.

"Simple, easy to use, and FREE!"

What do you like best?

We have been using Brackets as our primary text editor for our district websites for a few years. We moved to Brackets when our licenses for Dreamweaver expired. It's a great free alternative, with many nice features.

What do you dislike?

No major complaints. It's free. The extensions add a lot of nice features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After installing Brackets, be sure to check out the free extensions. We have utilized quite a few.

We have saved a lot of money continuing our web development with Brackets over other paid applications. The software is able to recognize the coding structure for various languages, such as HTML, CSS, PHP, JS, etc.

Brackets review by User

"Perfect tool for front end development "

What do you like best?

The best thing about the Brackets is a Live preview of the code with chrome extension and quick editing option within build CSS and many more great features.

What do you dislike?

While working large number of code lines it gets crashed and very difficult to get the updated code

Recommendations to others considering the product

From a personal point of view, I can’t see myself switching to Brackets for the server side work.

Brackets is a lightweight, yet powerful, modern text editor. We blend visual tools into the editor so you get the right amount of help when you want it without getting in the way of your creative process.

Brackets review by <span>Jade C.</span>
Jade C.

"Enjoy Live Preview While Coding"

What do you like best?

I love the Live Preview Brackets allows for, it makes it quicker and easier for me to design my website. I like how I can bring in all of my files while working on my projects so I don't have to guess what it all will look like.

What do you dislike?

The Live Preview gets all wonky sometimes if I forget to close off something and I'll have to restart the program and my browser to get it running properly again. It's also kind of annoying to get new files into my project while it is running.

Website coding, fast live previews

Brackets review by <span>Patrick B.</span>
Patrick B.

"Brackets 1.11 Review - Excellent"

What do you like best?

The interface keeps getting better. Very easy to use and my favorite code editor. It alerts me when code is suspect and allows quick testing into any browser.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing that I dislike about this product. We use it all the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download Brackets for a great experience in code editing.

Code testing and editing (not original code writing).

Brackets review by <span>Laura S.</span>
Laura S.

"Brackets gives better functionality than standard editor or CMS"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to wrap tags around your content, and "beautify" your css, making it easier to read in the file.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you have to download extra stuff to get the entire functionality of the program. It should be included with the original program.

It has helped me make cleaner code, which helps with collaboration between teammates.

Brackets review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Amazing product with extendible plugins "

What do you like best?

This is something that I use everyday. The most things that I like about this is the coding structure and how easy it is to use. I also like that is multi-platform so I can code on Linux and windows without any drawbacks.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like about the the program is that it doesn't integrate well with FTP. I could be wrong about this though. It might have a FTP plugin to extend it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need something to build the web with just code, this is a good start. You have to be experienced in the languages in order to use it though.

I use this program to map out the installations of October CMS. I also use it to code and design a lot of the websites that I host.

Brackets review by <span>Sheila D.</span>
Sheila D.

"Upper low-level coder"

What do you like best?

Works great with my CodeKit setup for building custom websites (generally on the Foundation 5 framework), emailers, and WordPress sites/blogs.

What do you dislike?

Never have been able to get the Preview working, but that's OK because I just run sites through Codekit, which works most of the time (goes wonky every now and then)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like it a lot but wish I could open multiple windows at once

Writing custom code for html pages and emailers and php sites (php ones for use via WordPress, usually starting from JointsWP, which is built on the Foundation 6 framework)

Brackets review by <span>Eric S.</span>
Eric S.

"It's simple and effective!"

What do you like best?

I've been looking for something similar to notepad for my macbook for a pretty long time. I absolutely hate the "Textedit" app that comes with Mac and think it has a lot of fundamental issues. I just wanted a simple, plaintext editor, and Brackets gives me that AND functions I ACTUALLY need.

What do you dislike?

Nothing- I wanted a simple piece of software that would help me write code and make edits in an easy manner.

Helps me work on my code without having to open up Dreamweaver. I despise using it.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I really like using Brackets for html as well as viewing .json files. It's got a nice view feature so I can view my html/css right from the program. I also like that I can have several files up at once to work on.

What do you dislike?

So far I haven't found anything that stands out as really obnoxious.

It's a great program to use to work on code and see the outcome right in the program itself. I've used a few different programs for designing websites, and this is my favorite one.

Brackets review by <span>Kirk C.</span>
Kirk C.

"Brackets"

What do you like best?

I like the integration with Emmett for fast HTML and CSS editing.

The plugin system and project browser options are extremely helpful.

What do you dislike?

The program seems to slow down very badly when opening larger files. This isn't what I expected from a 64-bit application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this program to anyone looking for an editor that makes editing HTML, CSS, and JavaScript simple and more productive.

I am a front-end web developer. This program suits my needs very well for both design and coding.

Brackets review by <span>Heather M.</span>
Heather M.

"Easy to use open-source HTML editor"

What do you like best?

I like that Brackets is an open-source software and that it is very easy to use. I really like the Live Preview option; it allows you to preview your HTML file in a browser.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about Brackets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it for yourself and check it out! I'm positive you'll like it!!

I build e-Learning materials and use Brackets when I need to clean up and/or modify my HTML coding. It has helped save me a ton of time! I

Brackets review by User

"Solid editor with lots of add ons"

What do you like best?

Brackets feels more light-weight than an editor like Sublime or Atom, but still modern and just as powerful. Code hints integrate with photoshop and editing styles on the go is a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Its not easy to open up multiple brackets windows to compare code. They have a great split screen option, but sometimes you need to have the project separated and its not as simple as just File>Open.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are doing mostly front-end work, I'd recommend brackets. Its preprocessor support and ease of use go a long way for turning front-end designs into code fast.

We do all of our full-stack development on Brackets. Live preview allows us to develop web apps faster and with more detail than traditional methods.

Brackets review by G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Excellent free web IDE"

What do you like best?

It is very lightweight web editor, yet it supports code completion for JavaScript, CSS and HTML. It can handle very large projects with lots of files. There is also a JSLint/JSHint plugin which is very helpful in improving code quality. Other extensions are available as well, including Git integration.

What do you dislike?

Code completion for AngularJS projects can be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you try Brackets before investing in one of the popular commercial web dev IDEs out there. You will find that a lot of the features you are looking for are available in Brackets yet it's much more lightweight than Eclipse based IDEs.

We need an IDE for front-end development which doesn't get in the way, yet is powerful enough and helps promote coding standards. Brackets meets these requirements.

Brackets review by <span>Gurmeet Singh K.</span>
Gurmeet Singh K.

"Clean and intuitive design"

What do you like best?

I really like its look & feel and simplicity, easy project navigation, Github support, lightweight.

What do you dislike?

Lack of libraries.

Lack of intellisense for C#.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good basic editor without libraries to support intellisense.

I use brackets to develop web applications on mac book air.

It helps him with its simple design. There are some other editors which I feel are not as user friendly.

One of the biggest benefit is its free of cost with so many great features.

Brackets review by User in Research
User in Research

"Useful Text Editor"

What do you like best?

Automatically formats code of different languages, like HTML and CSS and C++ and Bash. Color-codes text to make it easier to read.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't always get the color coding right, which can be annoying. Not as good for YAML, which is what I mainly use it for. But still better than Notepad.

Writing YAML code to make online procedures that are used in assembly and testing at my company. Brackets makes it easy to write and edit these files.

Brackets review by <span>Alvaro S.</span>
Alvaro S.

"(Almost) the best text editor for programmers"

What do you like best?

It is very practical, supports many languages, easy to edit with it, marks the code by colors correctly and allows the use of extensions.

I recommend it to edit but not for very extensive projects.

What do you dislike?

Folder management and searches are somewhat complicated in this editor, so I do not recommend it for large projects

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not recommended for big projects/programs

Creation of subprograms or small tools, or correction of errors and bugs.

Brackets review by <span>Steven C.</span>
Steven C.

"Fantastic open source editor"

What do you like best?

Live Preview is definitely one of the best features. Changes to a file are automatically updated without having to do a manual refresh to a page.

What do you dislike?

Editor is mostly tailored for front end development

front end development has been a breeze with this editor

Brackets review by <span>Christian A.</span>
Christian A.

"Most versatile compiler"

What do you like best?

The versatility of brackets is outstanding: the auto-fill function helps to speed up your work a lot, the multi-screen view is so useful, but the feature I like the most is the live-view webpage you compile, which allows you to check your results with one click.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about the software. It works fast and well, aside from be free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest the software to whoever wants to learn coding with a big solid freeware software.

I've learned how to code, how to make webpages and different coding languages

Brackets review by <span>Ibán R.</span>
Ibán R.

"My favourite code editor"

What do you like best?

For web development is my best choice: it is an open source project, easy to use, versatile and scalable.

It is supported by the community and by Adobe, and it is quite lightweight.

It is also available for Windows, macOS and Linux.

What do you dislike?

A bit slow sometimes (it could be because of my hardware)

Web design and web development, both backend and frontend.

Coding languages used: html, php, css and javascript.

Benefits? efficiency and effectiveness

"Brackets is very good!"

What do you like best?

I like to be able to see the different lines of code in different colors, and being able to hide some parts of my code. Additionally, I like being able to navigate through different files on the left-hand side.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes the live viewer for HTML code does not work very well and that I have to refresh the page in order to see changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it!! It's a very good text editor.

I have realized the benefits of being able to navigate through the folders in the same application; it makes things much easier so I don't have to go through Finder.

Brackets review by <span>Ruhi K.</span>
Ruhi K.

"The Brackets Experience"

What do you like best?

Brackets is my favorite because it simplifies the coding experience with its colored labeling.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything about brackets, as its function as a coding environment is pretty straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used several programming environments from Atom to Dreamweaver, and I always come back to Brackets because it is the most efficient and intuitive. The code highlighting especially makes it easy to tell when and where code is broken.

It helps with coding efficiency which is always a plus.

Brackets review by User in International Affairs
User in International Affairs

"Pretty good"

What do you like best?

easy to use, free. Have made multifaceted projects here. I like that it is opensource. It's great that it provides a live preview. Having indentations is especially useful as well - I really like it when interfaces allow me to truly organize my code, makes going back or finding things much easier than if I'm indenting things myself. I often can get lazy in interfaces where I am indenting myself (and just don't bother).

What do you dislike?

nothing too bad for my purposes - anything free can be limiting but i'm okay as it is free

not really "solving problems" - must making sites/programming

Brackets review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"brackets a review"

What do you like best?

I recently started looking for alternatives to sublime. Though I had used and left brackets, I came back to Brackets to try to use it and then found that extensions give it more power and makes it more efficient, in some part, than sublime. I like the two pane view for development which makes it a lot easier for front-end developers like me who have to constantly toggling between html and css panes. And another best thing about Brackets is - it is completely free.

What do you dislike?

i don't like that sometimes it doesn't autocomplete the tags like in sublime and i don't really seem to find a good theme and i don't like the default theme either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

great for html and css

it has been a great tool to help me focus writing html and css without having to constantly change the windows or tabs.

Brackets review by <span>Phil A.</span>
Phil A.

"Decent editor with some unique features"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Brackets has focused visual tools and preprocessor support. It makes web development a breeze.

What do you dislike?

One of things I dislike about Brackets is that it is very similar to a lot of other editors out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a quick, intuitive, free and open source IDE for web development, Brackets is your tool.

I use Brackets occasionally for simple Javascript apps that I work on. It simplifies the process of testing code.

Brackets review by <span>Jennifer Vi S.</span>
Jennifer Vi S.

"Does everything you need a text editor to do."

What do you like best?

It has a clean and simple interface which helps keep distractions out of the way. It also has various plugins which can add quite a bit of functionality.

What do you dislike?

At times it can be underpowered, but that's what you can use a terminal for.

This is a great tool to use when working on multiple projects as you're able to keep multiple windows open for each one which allows you to cross reference if needed.

Brackets review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Best Free Text Editing App"

What do you like best?

Highly visual and lightweight open source code editor. The viewing options like split view makes it easy to compare documents and edit/code fast.

What do you dislike?

You can't complain when its free! I have not run into any issues that I can think of with Brackets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend any front-end developer to download this! It's free and easy to use!

Super easy interface for all user types that want to code/edit.

Brackets review by <span>Bhavesh G.</span>
Bhavesh G.

"Out of the box product"

What do you like best?

Brackets provide a lot more features than its competitors. It has never disappointed whenever I have used it.The fact that its open source also makes it stand out from the crowd.

What do you dislike?

It looks some way off from its potential. I think that can be tapped as there is scope for more.

Company's product designing and feature enhancements.

Brackets review by <span>Aaron H. W.</span>
Aaron H. W.

"Great development tool!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, easy to deploy. One of the best things Adobe has made in a while.

What do you dislike?

Not as large a user community as, say, Atom. With a more active user base, there would be even more useful plugins.

Occasional HTML/CSS/JS development.

"Simple text editor"

What do you like best?

Love that this is simple and easy to use. I can quickly make updates and see them in my browser without having to add any shortcuts manually.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it does not recognize languages when beginning to write code. Instead it makes me save the file types and I wish it would just be able to translate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

very simple for first-time coders as well as advanced. easily integrates with other tools for team collaboration.

writing code and debugging with ease. Brackets was the first tool a began debugging with and I love it.

Brackets review by <span>Bhanuka R.</span>
Bhanuka R.

"Best Web Editor"

What do you like best?

Can Edit Web files quickly. Easy to use and Lightweight. Can get live preview of code. Code suggestion. Can add Extensions.

What do you dislike?

Can't preview php files. Not Suitable for php , python developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes. The Live Preview feature is incredibly useful, combining the advantages of coding in the browser with those of a dedicated editor.

Develop Web Sites.

Brackets review by <span>frederic g.</span>
frederic g.

"best code editor!!!"

What do you like best?

the most i like is that we can live preview the code and it's faster.

What do you dislike?

telling me the errors. i need to verify my code before publishing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

add some alert for errors not just changed the text color.

i'm making web site for startups.

Brackets review by <span>Josh G.</span>
Josh G.

"Great Editor I use very often"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to use and how easy it is to get started. I also like the vast amount of pluggins available

What do you dislike?

I wish support would be added for auto running some other applications and compiling code natively rather then requiring an addon be used.

I use brackets mainly for code editing

Brackets review by G2 Crowd User in Design
G2 Crowd User in Design

"Not bad for a Code Editor"

What do you like best?

I like the live preview feature of brackets. It is also pretty customizable for a free product. Extensions are also supported which is nice. Customization is the name of the game for brackets. With so many different extensions, and support, the possibilities are endless.

What do you dislike?

The support for other languages are a little lacking compared to Atom and Sublime

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets is nice and easy to use and is pretty comparable to other free editors.

Brackets give me the flexibility and saves me time. The quick edit features are pretty cool, live preview gives me a sense of what I am doing right or wrong. In conclusion, Brackets saves the team a lot of time and development resources.

Brackets review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Great Text Editor"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of brackets and the color-coding of the text.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes having all the files visible in the left pane can be confusing.

I do all my hand-coding in brackets now. It's let me build entire sites.

Brackets review by <span>Raj T.</span>
Raj T.

"Not the Best - But Not the Worst Either"

What do you like best?

The Project Management is nicely handled in Brackets!

What do you dislike?

After using Sublime Text and Notepad++, you wouldn't quite use Brackets! Others are just so much better

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably if you are a Naive Developer, go for it. Else, Meh!

Developing Websites HTML-CSS-JavaScript-PhP.

Brackets review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Brackets - Everything is awesome"

What do you like best?

by far one of the top text editors and systems for me, file structure easy to handle so is project structure.

What do you dislike?

sometimes projects are stuck/sticky but that's probably user error

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not really sure how I'd make it better it's really overall satisfactory maybe bug fixes and glitches gone

Text editor Code Editor

Brackets review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Beautiful UI and fun to use"

What do you like best?

I really liked how beautiful the UI was. It was pretty seamless and easy to use - a lot of the features (like side-by-side windows) were much easier to discover (without previous exposure). It is very lightweight and intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

I had issues with flashing/some UI instability. That's the main reason I stopped using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It was easy to use, but there were some instability issues.

I was using it as a text editor, for going through code and general line comparison (side-by-side windows).

Brackets review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Good for basic editing"

What do you like best?

Powerful plugins, easy to set up and use immediately

What do you dislike?

Lacks project searching and the ability to jump directly to a file when clicking on the file in the code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great if you need a simple text editor for a small project. It is meant to be used for web development, but it falls short of a full-scale solution.

It's good for quick prototyping or simple file editing. It has great interaction with Photoshop files.

Brackets review by <span>Moch. Faisal R.</span>
Moch. Faisal R.

"Good code editor"

What do you like best?

Clean interface and have many plugins that compatible with brackets to make easy developing mostly javascript and node.js

What do you dislike?

Sidebar that consume many space and also not highlighting the same word.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brackets suitable to use for developing HTML and CSS also javascript. Easy to use and also clean interface.

Developing website.

Brackets review by <span>Artika R.</span>
Artika R.

"Easy to Use | Perfect for quick coding"

What do you like best?

The easy formatting and visualisation. Supports extensive languages.

What do you dislike?

The readability is little difficult because of the dark background

Coding XML and HTML web pages for a Country Club application.

Brackets review by User in Internet

"My absolute favorite tool for front-end dev"

What do you like best?

Brackets provides a no-frills user experience. One of my favorite features is how it auto-fills some code to save me some time.

What do you dislike?

I think the only thing I don't like is that its not a WYSIWYG editor.

I've been building all sorts of tools for internal productivity using Brackets.

Brackets review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Best web development IDE"

What do you like best?

Brackets is a perfect solution for web development. It's fast and you don't have to wait for it to index documents. The best feature is the live update feature.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike how Brackets doesn't automatically indent PHP code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple and fast IDE for web development. Should be tried by everyone.

I create websites with Brackets. Brackets gives me the benefit of creating visual designs and seeing them auto update.

Brackets review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Easy to read"

What do you like best?

I like the look of Brackets better than other code/text editors, and I love how fast it is.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could open files in tabs to compare side by side. I use adobe creative cloud as well, and I wish brackets and adobe edge code were the same application rather than being two separate applications on my machine. I'm still confused by this.

Editing code - this is a good visual solution that is fast and easy to use.

Brackets review by User

"Brackets is very useful and intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

Brackets is useable with many languages.

What do you dislike?

Brackets does not organize files well. Files are not by default organized by folder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product

Brackets allows me to develop code efficiently

Brackets review by <span>Stephanie N.</span>
Stephanie N.

"Bracket Code"

What do you like best?

Customization with interface that is fun

What do you dislike?

brackets crashes too much due to all apps

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work on the problems where the program crashes a lot.

Makes my workflow fasters with the shortcuts.

Brackets review by <span>Halini V.</span>
Halini V.

"lightwegh editor"

What do you like best?

simple to use specially for quick changes

What do you dislike?

is a bit difficult when you need to preview projects on PHP

Development

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Easy to see, review and edit html code. I particularly like the Live Preview feature to see what I've messed up and it also allows for easy testing of links.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about Brackets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and learn to experiement.

Quick and easy to resolve basic html issues for emails and basic web pages.

Brackets review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Information Technology and Services

"Text editor for web designer"

What do you like best?

Its come with default auto complete Syntax for maximum front end language

What do you dislike?

Its is mainly concerned in front end Not for back end languages .

Lots of extension which makes you confuse .

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great text editor for front end developer and web designer . ( Must have )

Web animation

"Easy, free, awesome!"

What do you like best?

The live preview feature is awesome. Other than that is has the same standard features as any other competitor, but I found it easiest to start on as a beginner.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there is connection issues with the live preview feature, otherwise it is great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend, especially for beginners

Quicker coding, debugging.

Learning about Brackets?

* We monitor all Brackets reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.