Brightcove

Learning about Brightcove?

Brightcove Reviews

Ask Brightcove a Question
Showing 22 Brightcove reviews
Brightcove review by Jon E.
Jon E.

"Robust and diverse platform for delivering and measuring video to any audience"

What do you like best?

The relationship we've developed with Brightcove has been key to our success. Any time we've had challenges or questions the various teams at Brightcove (Account Execs, Tech Support, etc.) have been there to help guide our evolution. We continue to grow and refine the ways we take advantage of all the capabilities the platform offers.

What do you dislike?

The UI's in some of the admin interfaces are not as clean as they could be, but I've seen continual improvement over time, and none of these UI issues have compromised our capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand what your video strategy is so you can map Brightcove features to it, and define what you will use as KPI's for that strategy.

We're a large B2B technology company, and our primary challenges include enabling our audience of engineers to leverage our technologies. We enable our sales force with product information, competitive landscape, and sales tips via video, and create tech tip videos to help enable more self-service problem solving. Additionally we use live events to engage the entire organization for CEO town halls, business unit all-hands, etc. Among the benefits we've realized are more efficient sales processes, reduced tech support engagement, better employee engagement and morale, and a wealth of data we can leverage to help guide our video strategy.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Brightcove
Brightcove review by Tanner S.
Tanner S.

"A Good Full-Featured Video Hosting and Streaming Provider"

What do you like best?

We use this software to host and stream hundreds of videos for our eLearning content. Our error rate has dramatically decreased with our eLearning content by streaming the videos from this service rather than embedding them directly into the project. Before with the embedded videos we would sometimes have learners who were having issues with the video loading directly from the project or our own hosting, but the streaming and linking using HTML objects seems to have helped almost completely eradicate that.

What do you dislike?

The UI seems to be a little dated, but with a little bit of poking around you are always able to find the features that you are looking for. There seems to be a bit of confusion sometimes with the video ID, player ID and other attributes that are required for the streaming linking to work properly. Perhaps if they were to rename them a bit more specifically it would improve this aspect of the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This service is very fully featured and can support a large number of videos as well as serve thousands of users per day.

Instead of embedding the videos directly into the eLearning content, we stream the videos using an HTML object that points to the source file hosted by Brightcove. Through some advanced coding, we are also able to use Javascript to be able to communicate back to the eLearning content from Brightcove. This allows us to control the navigation of the content until the completion of the video.

What Video Hosting solution do you use?

Brightcove review by Chloe S.
Chloe S.

"Great digital asset management tool"

What do you like best?

Brightcover Video cloud stores a large amount of videos and enables easy sharing with colleagues and the public. The status column allows for a clear picture of which videos are approved to use while playlists keep videos neat and orderly.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of learning curve. The user interface isn't extremely intuitive so it takes some time to get the hang of it. Also, if credentials are compromised there's a lot of power to delete videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do your research. There's a lot of video cloud solutions out there and there's rarely a one size fits all solution. However, BrightCove is a robust contender that definitely deserves serious consideration. Keep in mind the kinds of files you want to be able to store, how many users will need to access Brightcove, and what your privacy concerns and limitations are. Be sure to set up a system of playlists and tags before opening it up to multiple users in order to keep things from getting out of hand. Like many cloud solutions, the lack of structure will make it more of a headache than a benefit for your users. This is easily solved with a well thought out infrastructure.

We needed a trustworthy video storage software that would meet the needs of multiple departments--Brightcove does just that. The benefit is the ability to share videos without a download link as well as keep all videos categorized and filed in an easily searchable and usable format.

Brightcove review by Executive Sponsor in Luxury Goods & Jewelry
Executive Sponsor in Luxury Goods & Jewelry

"Poor customer service, and even worse software"

What do you like best?

The fact that I am no longer using Brightcove to manage my company's video content.

What do you dislike?

As a video player and management system, I've been disappointed by Brightcove since I arrived on the scene at the company I work for. Dreadful performance, poor user interfaces, weak reporting, and extremely limiting functionality from the Admin side of things makes this platform unbearable to use. We've actually bailed out of using the system while still under contract, and have elected to use Youtube instead.

Dealing with Brightcove on contract matters is like pulling teeth. They are slow to respond (if they even do) to inquiries, and become even more painful to deal with when you tell them you no longer want to continue using their services.

I'm literally paying them for a full year of service and not using them, just to get off the platform because we did not give them 90 days advanced notice that we were opting out of the contract. I then had to get in touch with their legal counsel to amend our contract to no longer list us as an Auto-Renewal each January.

I just asked my account rep about simply terminating our account, since we have paid the entire year in full (thousands of dollars), and she said she would need to ask her leadership team about our options, and that she couldn't promise me anything!

I've wasted so much time dealing with this company over a poorly performing product that I felt compelled to warn others about them, which is very atypical of me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for other options. Youtube outperforms this system.

None.

Brightcove review by Administrator in Events Services
Administrator in Events Services

"Brightcove- get's the job done"

What do you like best?

Brightcove is intuitive to use and even if you're not computer-savvy makes uploading and organizing videos a breeze.

What do you dislike?

My dislike is with the recent upgrades over the past year, moving from Flash to HTML5, I had to single handly recreate old players and BC's support did not assist much. There are constant upgrades to the players but no notification. So one day a feature in a player may exist, the next day it doesn't.

Brightcove serves as our hosting service and allows my company to post videos with ease on our website. The biggest advantage has been there Gallery players which are more modern and sleek looking and provide a better user experience. ha

Brightcove review by Emma C.
Emma C.

"User-Friendly and Intuitive. Fairly easy to manage video library except for search functionality."

What do you like best?

For the most part, I love the interface. It's nice that a video is pushed to the top of the "media/video" page when you update or make changes to it. Makes it easy to keep track of your projects. I also love the "capture" feature for thumbnails/video stills. feature---it saves so much time from having to import your own still.

What do you dislike?

SEARCH. I'm constantly having issues with it. It doesn't give you the ability to search by a video's ID #. WHAT?! Also, sometimes searching partial terms doesn't work, and you have to basically search for a video by typing in it's title word for word. This is especially difficult for me because some of our videos are titled one thing on the site and something a little different on Brightcove. I also wish there was some sort of "history" feature that could show you a timeline of the changes you've recently made to a video. If a member of my team changed something about a video, I'd like to have the ability to receive email notifications about it or at least see a history of the changes to that specific video when I log into Brightcove.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the quick edit tool! If you just need to change a word in the description box or the title, quick edit makes it faster so you don't have to move away from the video library page into the actual video (and keep going back and forth, etc.)

The ability to rapidly turn around video projects and get them live on our site. Now that I'm used to the interface, I can basically upload a video and get it activated/published in less than 10 minutes.

Brightcove review by Charles-David G.
Charles-David G.

"BEst way to make video on the web easy"

What do you like best?

The stats section is awsome ! also the fact that many user can login. with admins etc..

What do you dislike?

At first it can be overwhelming to use the playlist system, its not very user friendly. Also at first you dont know if the vidoe is published... it could be more clear...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a big tool with many options it will get the job done but dont expect it to be easy tu sue at first!

Making videos and getting money out if it without being restricted like youtube does !

Brightcove review by Stephanie S.
Stephanie S.

"Online video hosting"

What do you like best?

I like that it does what I need it to do for my client - host videos, update imagery and attain a long and shortened url within the program

What do you dislike?

That it is not so obvious how you get into your video queue or how to add a new one. I add something once every couple of months and i always have to figure out how to do it each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

Ensuring my client's videos play well on a variety of devices, globally without any issues

Brightcove review by User in Financial Services

"Business Youtube"

What do you like best?

Easy uploading and embedding, decent HD quality and good uptime. Fairly simple to navigate and get the basics. Quick link sharing and URL shortening is a plus.

What do you dislike?

Not enough features, customizing videos usually require a developer with in depth knowledge of video.js - it should be easier like Vimeo or Youtube to control and dynamically play videos in a playlist or library. Steep learning curve and requiring knowledge of video.js (not a plus)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use development features.

Hosting, sharing, embedding content in emails and websites.

Brightcove review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Director, Digital Analytics"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the metrics from brightcove dont match up with other reporting software tools that we have.

Brightcove gives us the ability to see all our video views from all of our published videos across all websites, and not just our nascar.com website. This gives us the larger content consumption story we need.

Brightcove review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"Relatively Reliable"

What do you like best?

Brightcove is one of the more reliable programs I use at work. It rarely has glitches and gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

Video uploads don't take that long, but processing can be rather slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something that works relatively reliably, it's a good choice.

Brightcove allows us to upload videos for embedding purposes.

Brightcove review by User in Music
User in Music

"Finally......Almost Perfect"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Video Cloud has basic editing options. That's very useful for us, because we often create different versions of the same video for various platforms. Consolidated analytics are also very helpful. The user interface design is GREAT!

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to optimize videos for Instagram. Also, I do think the price is a little steep as well. Maybe they could enhance the features to justify the cost for long term. Or, maybe lower the price some.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! It's a very handy tool, especially for solopreneurs and small business owners.

Using this allows us to do more in-house, as opposed to sending out everything to a video editor and/or optimizer.

Brightcove review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Innovative Video Hosting Platform"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the customer service and attention to our specific needs. I also enjoy the suite of new products that come out each year keeping Brightcove at the forefront of video innovation. There is always something new to be excited about.

What do you dislike?

Not all of our analytic needs can be easily met with how we are sharing content with other partners.

Customer engagement, upper and lower funnel content. We have realized that customers who watch video convert at a higher rate than customers who don't.

Brightcove review by Raphael B.
Raphael B.

"Great experience, awesome encoding API, but a bit pricey."

What do you like best?

I think Brightcove is a great solution for marketers who lack technical capabilities. I believe you can achieve similar results if you or your team has technical capabilities using a compilation of other cloud based services. However,I think the thing that I like the best is that these are all available in a single suite with Brightcove. I think the best part of Brightcove is their acquisition of Zencoder.

What do you dislike?

Its been a while since I've paid attention to Brightcove's pricing model, but I felt like it left much to be desired for "Start-up" and "Up and coming" companies. Their focus is obviously based on companies with budgets, which is obviously good. However, I think at times the companies with potential move onto other solutions, but that isn't a bad thing. Brightcove has done well, I'm sure that was part of their strategy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I mentioned before, I believe the reason a lot of people seek the video cloud is to support a variety of different form factors and digital platforms. However, there are other very not programattic soltuions available, but those are only beneficial if you or your team has the technical capabilities of making use of them. If you're not technical, then I would suggest a solution like Brightcove. It works out of the box, and the support that they offer is top notch. If you need "hand holding" then look no further than Brightcove. If you're saavy and have some coding capability then some amazon services might appeal to you, but you will not get and "hand holding" or support from a solution offered by amazon.

At the moment, we've decided to use another cloud solution simply because we needed an encoding API solution for our customers and our software. ( We're currently building SaaS software for VR content creation and interior mapping. Our customers can upload their videos and embed them into a VR scene. We needed a different solution for that). At the moment, we're not using brightcove's service, but probably will again in the future.

Brightcove review by User in Newspapers
User in Newspapers

"Platform that meets all my needs"

What do you like best?

Love looking at the analytics, makes me a stronger video editor.

What do you dislike?

The video thumbnail feature, I would prefer to scrub through the video while in brightcove to choose a thumbnail.

Brightcove let’s me view the analytics of my videos without asking my video programmer!

Brightcove review by User

"Expansive options, great analytics, convoluted "

What do you like best?

The amount of options and analytics the platform provides.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes platform can be slow, and confusing at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please be advised that this is a large scale B2B video platform, not all companies need to use this. Only if your client outreach is very large.

We're providing a video platform to clients that outperform Youtube or vimeo's analytics.

Brightcove review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"not so brightcove"

What do you like best?

brightcove's good when you have significant video assets on your site consumed on your site for which you want complete control. if youtube's not an option and neither is vimeo or facebook, then bc might be an option.

What do you dislike?

getting tracking to work for 3rd party tools such as Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics has always been a chore. Monitoring embedded YouTube videos is so much easier.

managing video content

Brightcove review by G2 Crowd User in Telecommunications
G2 Crowd User in Telecommunications

"Brightcove Videocloud review"

What do you like best?

It's an easy platform to navigate once you've spent a couple days with it. The new studios thumbnail section is much improved.

What do you dislike?

Its not a perfect system but for the most part it's usually on point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/a

Content distribution platform!

Brightcove review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Great platform"

What do you like best?

Posting videos, Posting videos, Posting videos,

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. Everything works.

Easier management of video on demand

Brightcove review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Pain free for basic use, haven't pushed the boundaries on functionality"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, user experience of product screens

What do you dislike?

My CMS was built to use the video ID # and not the javascript. I found this limited me to basic playback since I'd need the script to run a playlist

Use mostly for customer testimonials

Brightcove review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Ease of access, usability, comprehensive dashboard and analytics"

What do you like best?

The audience module enables video viewership data collection.

What do you dislike?

Noting specific, most of the features are pretty good

One stop shop for all video asset management, tagging and editing.

Brightcove review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Simple and easy to follow. Quick and clear navigation.

What do you dislike?

So far there is nothing that I can think of.

Storage issues to share with workers across multiple locations

Learning about Brightcove?

* We monitor all Brightcove reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.