Brightspace

Brightspace is helping to transform the way the world learns.

Work for Brightspace?
Thoughtindustries logo  2x

Learning about Brightspace?

Brightspace Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 93 Brightspace reviews
Brightspace review by <span>AJ C.</span>
AJ C.

The best of the available options

What do you like best?

As an instructor or administrator, the drag and drop features are extremely helpful. It makes designing a course much simpler than before. In addition to increased usability, the over all design of the user interface for all levels of user (admin, instructor, student) are almost unparalleled. Before Brightspace, instructional designers had to pay attention to coding and HTML5 to make the content available across all platforms, but with Brightspace, they've done all the work for you. Whether you or a student are on mobile, tablet, or desktop, the content is presented exactly how it was intended.

What do you dislike?

Much like Adobe products, D2L has several iterations of their LMS. With Brightspace, while making it easier to do some things, they've kept the old methods to do the same thing. This has resulted in several redundancies that can be confusing for less experienced users. For designers and trainers, it makes it challenging to teach new users the right strategy and creates inconsistencies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace is not perfect, so there should be no preconceived notions that it is going to fix poor design skills, poor understanding androgogy or pedagogy, or poor leadership. However, Brightspace has the most well equipped toolbox with a very high level of support to create the right digital environment for nearly anyone's needs.

We are using it for our students and teachers! We put our content online to increase student engagement and hopefully increase enrollment as students don’t have to come to campus. It’s more convenient and we can allow students to do more than we can in the classroom.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Brightspace
Brightspace review by <span>Jonathan S.</span>
Jonathan S.

D2L Brightspace

What do you like best?

The D2L Brightspace Learning Environment is up to date and fresh looking. They implement new updates every month. It uses Responsive Design to allow users the same experience when moving from Desktop/Laptop to Tablets to Cell Phones. The system is extremely easy to use and navigate. Great community of users to work with. Great/fast help desk response time. Unbeatable Up time.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the tools in the system have the same features, but you access them from different dropdowns or pages. The system would be much better if all features were accessed the same way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace is easy to configure and their help desk and community of learners can help you do just about anything you want to do with the system.

Creating fun and interactive courses for students. Informing students of the progress in the course.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Brightspace review by <span>Sherri T.</span>
Sherri T.

D2L keeps my students on their toes!

What do you like best?

I've used Blackboard, Moodle, and D2L, but I much prefer D2L. It's easier to use, and it looks cleaner. I really like being able to customize the looks of my classes so that it's easier for me to tell them apart in case I click into the wrong one. (It happens.) I have very few problems with D2L, but if I ever have a question, my university has a whole team that's dedicated to helping faculty with our D2L sites. I feel supported both by D2L and my university. In fact, my university has even offered extensive D2L training as part of an online teaching training program. 6) It would be great if students could download assignment deadline to their iCalendars.

What do you dislike?

I have a few items for my wish list: 1) I would love to have a D2L smartphone app. If there is one, it doesn't come up in my search. It would be even better if it were part of my university's app. 2) I wish that I could set up my "News" announcements so that students would get automatic emails every time I post an update or reminder. I know that they can subscribe, but try getting them to do that! As it is now, I send an email out to my class. Then, I copy and paste the content of the email into a "News" announcement so that it sticks to the homepage of my class. That's double the effort. 3) I loathe accepting late work from my students, but I've been urged to do so. Thus, I have dropboxes set up for the paper assignments, and I have late dropboxes set up for the same assignments as well. I wish I could have both dropboxes linked to the same grade column in the "Grades" area of my D2L site. 4) I wish I could merge files in the "Manage Files" area. Also, I wish I could see what the files are without downloading them. For example, I've uploaded a few creative commons images that have nonsensical file names. Yes, I should've just named them properly before I uploaded them, but it would still be nice to be able to see what items are before I download or delate them. 5) I wish I could create a test bank of questions and that my students could take a quiz that draws randomly from this pool, not just in terms of the order of the questions or the order of the multiple choice answers, but also in terms of the questions themselves. For example, I'd like to create a test bank of 50 questions, and I would my students to take a quiz that would feed them 10 of these questions randomly. I would like the questions to be presented to them in a random order, and I would like the multiple choice answers to be presented to them in random orders as well. In other words, I would like each student's quiz to be unique so that they can't share their answers so easily with each other. Part of the benefit of D2L is that it helps minimize and catch breaches of academic integrity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

D2L is only slightly more challenging to use than Facebook and YouTube. It's pretty intuitive, and it's very customizable. Take the time to play around with it. There are so many ways to use this tool to organize course content, make content attractive, and streamline assignments to minimize the impact grading has on our own time.

I don't solve "business problems" with D2L Brightspace. I'm an adjunct instructor at a private university. I didn't teach in the days before learning management systems, but I can't imagine teaching without them. Some of the things I love about D2L is having my students submit their papers by a specific deadline. They can't try to tell me that they submitted their paper if it's not in the dropbox. They can't say that they met the deadline if the dropbox is closed either. I also love the interface with Turnitin. What a fantastic tool! Overall, I'm a big fan of D2L. P.S. I didn't realize that D2L was D2L Brightspace. I don't see the "Brightspace" part of the brand when I log in from a computer, but I see that part of the brand when I log in via my smartphone.

Brightspace review by <span>Liz C.</span>
Liz C.

Brightspace is the best (well, of the not so great).

What do you like best?

Brightspace is fairly intuitive for students, instructors, and admins. Lots of help buttons for when you need it.

What do you dislike?

There are at least three different ways to do everything. Which sounds like a plus, at first, however, when helping faculty it's very easy to confuse someone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace can be kind of wonky. It uses like it was designed by computer scientists, not instructors. They are definitely on the right track, and while they continuously seek outside feedback and suggestions, sometimes it can be hard to tell if they are actually implemented or just ignored. Also, the help and support features offered by Brightspace are not great, but those offered by various institutions are fantastic. They have a large client base, so you can always find others to help.

Working for a university, we absolutely have to have an LMS, and this is by far, the best of all our options and of the ones we have used in the past. Not perfect, but gets the job done.

Brightspace review by <span>Ho&#39;omana Nathan H.</span>
Ho'omana Nathan H.

Brightspace has come a long way and has a lot of great features

What do you like best?

I love Brightspace's interface with Turnitin, especially since I teach academic writing which is an area where it's particularly hard for students to learn to write in their own words. This makes Turnitin a great tool that's easy for them to access. I also love the huge amount of control I can have over the organization, open/close dates, and other factors.

What do you dislike?

Although Brightspace has really improved a lot, it's still a little unwieldy, especially if it's your first time setting it up. Luckily, my university offers outstanding online and in-person instruction for instructors who want to use all of Brightspace's potential, but there's really very little out there from the platform itself (like there is for Blackboard and other LMS solutions).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent LMS that's increasingly user-friendly and allows for enormous control and customization on the part of instructors.

I use this LMS for teaching an all-online Academic English class for international graduate students. The organization and online capabilities have really helped me facilitate this online class where I don't have as many opportunities to interact with students face-to-face.

Brightspace review by <span>Brian T.</span>
Brian T.

Full featured LMS with good usability

What do you like best?

Many available features. Works well for my fully online courses and as support for in-person classes. Good automation of many tasks (like reminder emails). Integrates with my online homework solution (from Sapling Learning) and other external features.

What do you dislike?

Some interface quirks require getting used to. Actions are sometimes "hidden" in a small arrow icon. Once I learned the general layout it has been fairly easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most users will need some training to learn the features, but after getting up to speed should be useable by most.

The main solution/benefit is a central, easy to navigate space to provide content for students and keep track of progress and grades. Students generally find it easy to use.

Learning about Brightspace?

* We monitor all Brightspace reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.