Brightspace

4.0

Brightspace is helping to transform the way the world learns.

Work for Brightspace?

Learning about Brightspace?

Brightspace Reviews

Showing 99 Brightspace reviews
Brightspace review by Hannah A.
Hannah A.

"Not as great as competitors. Wish we had not transitioned into this product"

What do you like best?

It is great to have all of the features housed in one platform. I really appreciate being able to see if the students have accessed the materials and how many times.

What do you dislike?

Grading is incredibly difficult. You have to go through so much in order to get to a students' work, and click through to the next one. Engrade was a much easier platform to grade papers and written assignments on.I also find the user experience quite challenging and not intuitive. There are a lot of "rabbit trails" one must go down in order to get to the place that they want to get to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See my former comments but I really believe that the user interface is way too complicated and takes too long to get to a specific element on the site. it is trying to cover too much. As a side note, some of my students have mentioned that it is a frustrating color scheme! They too prefer working with blackboard over brightspace.

One stop shop for grading, collecting class data, viewing student experience and activity and engagement. Benefits seeing the correlation between grading and if students have accessed the information on bright space

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Brightspace
Brightspace review by AJ C.
AJ C.

"The best of the available options"

What do you like best?

As an instructor or administrator, the drag and drop features are extremely helpful. It makes designing a course much simpler than before. In addition to increased usability, the over all design of the user interface for all levels of user (admin, instructor, student) are almost unparalleled. Before Brightspace, instructional designers had to pay attention to coding and HTML5 to make the content available across all platforms, but with Brightspace, they've done all the work for you. Whether you or a student are on mobile, tablet, or desktop, the content is presented exactly how it was intended.

What do you dislike?

Much like Adobe products, D2L has several iterations of their LMS. With Brightspace, while making it easier to do some things, they've kept the old methods to do the same thing. This has resulted in several redundancies that can be confusing for less experienced users. For designers and trainers, it makes it challenging to teach new users the right strategy and creates inconsistencies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace is not perfect, so there should be no preconceived notions that it is going to fix poor design skills, poor understanding androgogy or pedagogy, or poor leadership. However, Brightspace has the most well equipped toolbox with a very high level of support to create the right digital environment for nearly anyone's needs.

We are using it for our students and teachers! We put our content online to increase student engagement and hopefully increase enrollment as students don’t have to come to campus. It’s more convenient and we can allow students to do more than we can in the classroom.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Brightspace review by Jonathan S.
Jonathan S.

"D2L Brightspace"

What do you like best?

The D2L Brightspace Learning Environment is up to date and fresh looking. They implement new updates every month. It uses Responsive Design to allow users the same experience when moving from Desktop/Laptop to Tablets to Cell Phones. The system is extremely easy to use and navigate. Great community of users to work with. Great/fast help desk response time. Unbeatable Up time.

What do you dislike?

A lot of the tools in the system have the same features, but you access them from different dropdowns or pages. The system would be much better if all features were accessed the same way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace is easy to configure and their help desk and community of learners can help you do just about anything you want to do with the system.

Creating fun and interactive courses for students. Informing students of the progress in the course.

Brightspace review by Devin H.
Devin H.

"D2L Review"

What do you like best?

It is a catch-all system, allowing instructors both to assign and grade work and to place lectures and other course material onto an integrated platform. Once you have learned whatever the current iteration of D2L actually is, you're set to go - your focus is on course materials, not learning how to use the LMS that should be facilitating your learning. On the student side, the system is extremely user-friendly; D2L for students is entirely what they make of it.

What do you dislike?

Renovations with D2L cause people to have to relearn their learning management software, which is time that could be better spent actually learning course materials. D2L doesn't change its interface often, but when it does, it's usually a major revamp that requires a lot of retraining or relearning. Additionally, the system isn't entirely user-friendly on the instructor's side, which means that a lot of potential out of the system in its current iteration is often not realized in practice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to relearn this system if you intend on using it for an extended period of time.

D2L provides a solution to an important education problem: how do you combine course materials, assignment submission, and grading into one platform? That solution is well-integrated. Even as significant training in how to use the LMS may be required, nonetheless D2L meets the needs of both teachers and students, to the benefit of the learning process as a whole.

Brightspace review by Sherri T.
Sherri T.

"D2L keeps my students on their toes!"

What do you like best?

I've used Blackboard, Moodle, and D2L, but I much prefer D2L. It's easier to use, and it looks cleaner. I really like being able to customize the looks of my classes so that it's easier for me to tell them apart in case I click into the wrong one. (It happens.) I have very few problems with D2L, but if I ever have a question, my university has a whole team that's dedicated to helping faculty with our D2L sites. I feel supported both by D2L and my university. In fact, my university has even offered extensive D2L training as part of an online teaching training program. 6) It would be great if students could download assignment deadline to their iCalendars.

What do you dislike?

I have a few items for my wish list: 1) I would love to have a D2L smartphone app. If there is one, it doesn't come up in my search. It would be even better if it were part of my university's app. 2) I wish that I could set up my "News" announcements so that students would get automatic emails every time I post an update or reminder. I know that they can subscribe, but try getting them to do that! As it is now, I send an email out to my class. Then, I copy and paste the content of the email into a "News" announcement so that it sticks to the homepage of my class. That's double the effort. 3) I loathe accepting late work from my students, but I've been urged to do so. Thus, I have dropboxes set up for the paper assignments, and I have late dropboxes set up for the same assignments as well. I wish I could have both dropboxes linked to the same grade column in the "Grades" area of my D2L site. 4) I wish I could merge files in the "Manage Files" area. Also, I wish I could see what the files are without downloading them. For example, I've uploaded a few creative commons images that have nonsensical file names. Yes, I should've just named them properly before I uploaded them, but it would still be nice to be able to see what items are before I download or delate them. 5) I wish I could create a test bank of questions and that my students could take a quiz that draws randomly from this pool, not just in terms of the order of the questions or the order of the multiple choice answers, but also in terms of the questions themselves. For example, I'd like to create a test bank of 50 questions, and I would my students to take a quiz that would feed them 10 of these questions randomly. I would like the questions to be presented to them in a random order, and I would like the multiple choice answers to be presented to them in random orders as well. In other words, I would like each student's quiz to be unique so that they can't share their answers so easily with each other. Part of the benefit of D2L is that it helps minimize and catch breaches of academic integrity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

D2L is only slightly more challenging to use than Facebook and YouTube. It's pretty intuitive, and it's very customizable. Take the time to play around with it. There are so many ways to use this tool to organize course content, make content attractive, and streamline assignments to minimize the impact grading has on our own time.

I don't solve "business problems" with D2L Brightspace. I'm an adjunct instructor at a private university. I didn't teach in the days before learning management systems, but I can't imagine teaching without them. Some of the things I love about D2L is having my students submit their papers by a specific deadline. They can't try to tell me that they submitted their paper if it's not in the dropbox. They can't say that they met the deadline if the dropbox is closed either. I also love the interface with Turnitin. What a fantastic tool! Overall, I'm a big fan of D2L. P.S. I didn't realize that D2L was D2L Brightspace. I don't see the "Brightspace" part of the brand when I log in from a computer, but I see that part of the brand when I log in via my smartphone.

Brightspace review by Liz C.
Liz C.

"Brightspace is the best (well, of the not so great)."

What do you like best?

Brightspace is fairly intuitive for students, instructors, and admins. Lots of help buttons for when you need it.

What do you dislike?

There are at least three different ways to do everything. Which sounds like a plus, at first, however, when helping faculty it's very easy to confuse someone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Brightspace can be kind of wonky. It uses like it was designed by computer scientists, not instructors. They are definitely on the right track, and while they continuously seek outside feedback and suggestions, sometimes it can be hard to tell if they are actually implemented or just ignored. Also, the help and support features offered by Brightspace are not great, but those offered by various institutions are fantastic. They have a large client base, so you can always find others to help.

Working for a university, we absolutely have to have an LMS, and this is by far, the best of all our options and of the ones we have used in the past. Not perfect, but gets the job done.

Brightspace review by Ho'omana Nathan H.
Ho'omana Nathan H.

"Brightspace has come a long way and has a lot of great features"

What do you like best?

I love Brightspace's interface with Turnitin, especially since I teach academic writing which is an area where it's particularly hard for students to learn to write in their own words. This makes Turnitin a great tool that's easy for them to access. I also love the huge amount of control I can have over the organization, open/close dates, and other factors.

What do you dislike?

Although Brightspace has really improved a lot, it's still a little unwieldy, especially if it's your first time setting it up. Luckily, my university offers outstanding online and in-person instruction for instructors who want to use all of Brightspace's potential, but there's really very little out there from the platform itself (like there is for Blackboard and other LMS solutions).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent LMS that's increasingly user-friendly and allows for enormous control and customization on the part of instructors.

I use this LMS for teaching an all-online Academic English class for international graduate students. The organization and online capabilities have really helped me facilitate this online class where I don't have as many opportunities to interact with students face-to-face.

Brightspace review by Brian T.
Brian T.

"Full featured LMS with good usability"

What do you like best?

Many available features. Works well for my fully online courses and as support for in-person classes. Good automation of many tasks (like reminder emails). Integrates with my online homework solution (from Sapling Learning) and other external features.

What do you dislike?

Some interface quirks require getting used to. Actions are sometimes "hidden" in a small arrow icon. Once I learned the general layout it has been fairly easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most users will need some training to learn the features, but after getting up to speed should be useable by most.

The main solution/benefit is a central, easy to navigate space to provide content for students and keep track of progress and grades. Students generally find it easy to use.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Full Featured but Very Limiting"

What do you like best?

D2L Brightspace is now responsive so that it looks much better on Desktop, Mobile, and Tablet. For the most part the modules (Content, News, Quizzes) make sense to the end users of the training. Discussion Forum and Topic features are robust.

What do you dislike?

If you don't do things the D2L Brightspace way, it can be a real pain. That is, if you don't use the tools the way the developers expect them to be used, you usually end up having a problem with the training modules. It's difficult to have robust critique of peer work in Discussions, and good grading tools, and good file collection in Dropbox without the end users having to visit all three modules and figure out how they work together. That is, unless you're just dealing with text or Word files, the features are limiting. Rubrics are a pain to implements because of competency features. You can't have a mixed holistic and analytic rubric. Getting your content back out of rubrics or quizzes modules can be a fight. Sometimes you're just better off posting PDFs of that type of content rather than trying to decode what the developer expected you to do while using the product.

Allows students to learn.

Brightspace review by Dani S.
Dani S.

"Simply the best nowadays upcoming LMS"

What do you like best?

As simple as Facebook to use If you are a student. As easy to administrate as a Wordpress site.

What do you dislike?

Some customization options are not smooth but I'm sure they will get better soon. Nowadays, it's complicated to deploy a multi-site environment without a little coding help. D2L knows these issues and they're working hard to solve it asap.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will find really easy to adapt BS to your needs and your users will rapidly join in. It has several integrations with external tools already running and setting up a new one is not a pain. With a very powerful documented API and working services, anything can be plugged in. Vendors are serious about the SLA's and uptime.

The flavour of the system is completely 2017-ish, far away from the java-application-like feeling of the usual LMSs. Being the new guy in town is not a deal for D2L, it performs very well. It also has a pack of apps for students and teachers that makes 100% possible not to touch a desktop computer to manage or consume the system.

As a custom approach, I would say that If Blackboard is a Mercedes and Moodle is a Chevrolet, D2L would be a Tesla.

D2L Brightspace is an affordable, fast, cloud and simple LMS perfect for little educational needs, but escalates very quickly for huge scenarios. As a consultant, Brightspace would be the first choice for most of our clients, no matter if they're looking for their first LMS or they want to move from their current one. It haves a conversion tool that can turn Moodle, Blackboard and others' courses into D2L format with a few clicks!

Brightspace review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"D2L Brightspace"

What do you like best?

The best part about the D2L Brightspace LMS platform is that the company is always adding innovative new tools. The product has come a long way since I first started using it over ten years ago.

What do you dislike?

There needs to be more security features within the quizzing area. Currently the "best option" to provide a more secure testing environment is to purchase a 3rd party addon piece of software called "Respondus Lockdown Browser". The Lockdown Browser, in my opinion and experience, is an overly priced and bug ridden headache that causes problems for not only students but faculty and tech support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using the software and you will find its generally much better than the other LMS platforms. You can also customize it as much or as little as you like and overall the most users find it very intuitive and easy to use.

This questions doest really pertain to my field of experience using Brightspace (Higher Education).

"Review of Brightspace"

What do you like best?

It has a phenomenal online format when going through iPhone.

It has a clean and simple look to it, but still allows for personalization with photos.

It is user friendly and you receive announcements like any other social media notification.

Check boxes to see what is complete and not complete/reviewed.

What do you dislike?

It can be slow and show up odd depending on what browser you use to open bright space. It can also be a bit irritating that downloading something does not "check the box," but that you still have to click on the link to have it complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it some time. Once you figure out the techniques, it is quite a helpful tool.

Business problems solved include ability to communicate between multiple constituents on the same platform and with speed. Benefits are ability to create and submit assignments.

Brightspace review by Halle F.
Halle F.

"Bright space easy to follow and interactive "

What do you like best?

I like best that it is extremely easy to use and easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how sometimes it does break down quickly and requires maintenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For educational purposes, I definitely recommend other Universities to use Brightspace as it is really easy to lear, easy to understand, and easy to communicate through. I find it extremely easy to receive grades and other feedback through bright space and highly recommend it to other Universities.

My entire university uses bright space and it is helping maintain consistency and is great for learning.

Brightspace review by Angela K.
Angela K.

"D2L - Brightspace LMS "

What do you like best?

When we started using Brightspace, it was still called D2L. I liked the simplicity of the name; however, this is not a simplistic product. I worked on both the admin and the user side; however, I will discuss only the teacher/student user side on this review. When logging into the system, there are several options for the landing. Our district chose to have a district landing page. The widgets were easy to navigate if set up correctly. When moving into a course, the user would land on the homepage of the course where another set of widgets were available. This providing an area for students to gain important information and navigate to additional links. I also liked the drag and drop feature to add content. This made content curation easy.

What do you dislike?

The biggest challenge for this product is the navigation for the user experience. Students and teachers would have to click multiple times to access content. In addition, the process for organizing and presenting content was sometimes difficult if you didn't know what level you were on when modules, sub-modules, and even additional sub-modules were created.

Providing an LMS for integrated teaching and learning for a K-12 school district.

Brightspace review by Sara A.
Sara A.

"Brightspace for Online Teaching"

What do you like best?

Brightspace is an attractive interface with intuitive features that are easy to use. Brightspace also allows organizations to integrate the use of other educational learning management systems (i.e. MindEdge) for a more complete online learning experience.

What do you dislike?

Some of the grading processes require the user to open multiple tabs or to toggle between different screens just to grade one assignment type.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Brightspace. It seems to be the newer, more up-and-coming LMS for educational institutions.

Brightspace offers the flexibility and convenience of online education.

Brightspace review by Susan K.
Susan K.

"Brightspace for teachers"

What do you like best?

The part I like best about Brightspace is the Gradebook, you can easily set up assignments that will auto-grade and post grades directly into each student's gradebook.

What do you dislike?

The only part I don't like is that some of the formatting is rather fixed in nature and I would prefer more modifcation options.

Business problems include teaching online students without meeting face to face in classes. The benefits have been improved class organization, accurate grading, and good communication with students.

Brightspace review by Amanda C.
Amanda C.

"D2L Brightspace is the forum for students who take virtual classes/classes with an online component"

What do you like best?

It's fairly simple and self explanatory when seen as a student. You can see your classes that you are in and once in your class you can see your discussion boards, quizzes, grades, etc. whatever the professor has open for you to see.

What do you dislike?

When viewed as a professor or when creating quizzes, it can be a little cumbersome, a lot of little nit-picking ways that you have to do things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Play with it, see all of the tools it makes available to you and utilize them.

It's great for online classes, online class management. It gives you the opportunity to use all of the tools that make up an entirely virtual class. It's also great to supplement a regular classroom experience, for example, if you'd like your students to do a test or quiz at home, you can sent one up.

Brightspace review by Francis A.
Francis A.

"I have a mixed experience with D2L. It's sometimes easy to navigate and other times frustrating. "

What do you like best?

Navigation in D2L is mostly easy and that is what I like about it. My institution's D2L is setup so you can easily see all "my courses" once you go past the single sign-on page. You're able to see notifications, important dates including events scheduled in a calendar, which makes it easier to see a lot of things just at a glance. And once you're in a specific course, you can navigate and access checklists, grade-book, quizzes, class-lists, course content and so forth within few minutes. All these make it easier to use D2L and I like it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike a couple of things about using D2L;

Firstly, grading quizzes using rubric never worked for me until very recently. Even though it now possible to grade using rubrics, there are still technical difficulties. For instance, grading from either "Spreadsheet" or "Standard" Views do not seem to be the same. Regardless, of the "view", when you grade with rubrics, you still have to manually input the grades into the spaces provided for grades (in other words grades do not get imported from the rubrics) and that is frustrating and time wasting.

Moreover, it is very difficult to find all the discussion posts (threads and replies) of a particular student without having to go into the "Edit Course" and following other procedures.

Finally, when importing for instance a test-bank into D2L, some characters tend to be configured differently, like a simple multiplication signs, arrows and so forth. I hope these issues can be addressed.

It saves time to give quizzes and auto grade them, allow effective communications such as instructor-learner as well as learner-learner interactions etc using an online learning management system that replicates face-to-face classes....without having to spend too much money and I believe that is why D2L comes in. And to some extent, D2L has been helpful in those categories.

Brightspace review by Chris C.
Chris C.

"D2L is a little unwieldy. "

What do you like best?

The system provides an online space in which I can post scores, allowing students to track their own project.

What do you dislike?

The interface seems a little counterintuitive and it feels like there is a huge learning investment required in the application. I suppose this may be for the purpose of higher customization, but I don't see how this may be the case as my actual attempts at setting up the shell to reflect my actual class structure has been fraught with dead ends. I really don't have the time or the energy to devote to discovering the finer points of D2L and have developed a strong preference for Blackboard

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would probably consider using Blackboard over D2L Brightspace, unless they can implement a system that is a little more user friendly or, in the least, offers more grading options.

I am an educator. The benefit here is that students can see their assignment grades.

Brightspace review by Michelle D. M.
Michelle D. M.

"D2L Platform for online teaching"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up template; tabs for most used topics;News for announcements at homepage;ability to "ping" a student who is online for a quick chat. Great way to have grades and feedback readily available for students in FERPA compliant venue. Dropbox works great.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to update dates for cloned classes (quarter after quarter). Should be more streamlined imo.

Fill in the blank quizzes are a real pain to grade! There should be a fuzzy algorithm to allow more accurate assessment by computer. Case sensitive isn't enough. The answer re-bar, rebar, and rebar. should all be the same. I can't type every permutation and students are put off when they are graded "incorrect" for an answer. Even if I override the grade, it still shows as a red X incorrect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This version is much better than when I started with it in 2012.

I teach community college. We use D2L for all our online classes, and we have the option to use D2L "shells" for face to face classes for data and information management. This platform is FERPA compliant, allows students to turn in homework with a "date stamp" in a secure environment accessible from anywhere, and allows grading and feedback to be attached and accessed by each student in a secure fashion. Less confusion about

Brightspace review by User in Internet

"Way better than WebCT, but still not as advanced as it should be"

What do you like best?

I have used D2L for my online courses for years. Prior to that, my online learning was on WebCT, which was horrid. As far as an online learning space goes, D2L does the job. These are my favorite D2L features:

+ Dropbox receipts. You always know if the Dropbox accepted your submission or not, because you get a receipt/notification in your D2L.

+ Email forwarding. All of the emails and notifications I get through D2L are forwarded to my Gmail account, so I have an easy way to monitor what's going on in my course. You can't respond to these emails or messages from Gmail, though.

+ Discussion space has improved a lot over the years. The discussion space seems to be getting better and better, and it's definitely better than most other online learning spaces. It still needs to improve in letting users mass select discussion posts, edit previous posts, and organize discussion posts.

What do you dislike?

- Difficult to use on a mobile device. D2L is really behind when it comes to optimizing their site for mobile. The mobile-friendly site is useless and I always immediately just go to the full desktop version and zoom/scroll my way around. The Brightspace app is also not useful to students.

- D2L mail pretty much is the worst. D2L mail is really hard to use on desktop and nearly impossible to use on mobile. You can forward your emails but you cannot respond without going into the D2L website.

- Discussions need more improvement. It takes me almost an hour every week just to sort through all the discussion posts and do my required responses. Not because they take so long to read, but because "clearing" all of the discussions takes so much time and effort for the user. It takes multiple clicks over and over again to clear all of the discussion post notifications from my profile. You also can't go back and edit any of your discussion posts, so good luck if you make a spelling error or forget the attachment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're currently using a program like WebCT, definitely switch. It's way better for students. Still not a great product, in my opinion, but way better than many other options that are out there.

I use D2L for my master's classes. The benefit is that I get to take online classes from a public university. I have also used D2L from a student-admin role when I taught Psychology 101 as a professor's assistant.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Former system admin, using it for thesis"

What do you like best?

The interface is highly intuitive.

D2L is highly customizable.

Instructors can produce courses with little training.

There are very well produced instructional videos.

Only one version is live at any time, therefore there is uniformity.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes of D2L.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get in touch with their sales team or sign up for their demo. It's a very easy to use LMS compared to a lot of the rest on the market.

I am currently using it for producing my Ed.M thesis, but I have used it as an LMS in a nursing school. Students and faculty found it easy to use.

Brightspace review by Tatiana d.
Tatiana d.

"I have taken many online classes through D2L"

What do you like best?

I like that information for the entire class is set out clearly and very accessible. Assignments are easy to find, quizzes are graded immediately, and the dropbox is a very useful component.

What do you dislike?

I do not care for the email system. It does not retain the list of addresses and is not intuitive. I also wish that previous classes could still be accessed for information that was used and maybe relevant to use again, for example an online class for Photoshop that had links.

I was in the graphic design program, being a self-taught freelance artist, and wanted to initially further my skill sets. I then hired on at PCC and utilized learning as much as I could while at work. Online classes were the only classes I could take.

Brightspace review by Malcolm E.
Malcolm E.

"Great LMS that keeps making advances"

What do you like best?

The mobile app. New Brightspace is fully responsive and easier to use on mobile than ever

What do you dislike?

Entering grades can be difficult at times. Setting up integrations can be harder than expected.

We use brightspace for course management. We are using the integrated tools to great capacity, adapting teaching methods to new learning modes and keeping students engaged with their learning

Brightspace review by Administrator

"A strong LMS that makes it easy for the user harder for the IT dept"

What do you like best?

I love that Brightspace has a lot to offer. The ease of view for the student and using it on a non-administrative side allow for a smooth experience. You can easily integrate other products like you SIS, textbooks, or use their analytics to help provide a better experience for students and classes.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook feature needs additional help as does their solution for scalability. We had many waves of implementation and the company did not realize the massive amount of work required to transition our material from blackboard to brightspace. We had to re-work every single class and manually preserve gradebooks. (Over 300 classes, 500, 000 users)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you have a long time to implement depending on your size.

Test many packages of courses.

The best part are the analytics and the power it hold.

Brightspace review by Milissa C.
Milissa C.

"D2L Dazzle!"

What do you like best?

The short interactive tutorial available to faculty and students.

What do you dislike?

The way the rubrics are now in the dicussion boards. I like that they are in there, but it seems big and cluncky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There tools can be used for so much more if you just think outside of the box.

I am able to share the links to the tutorials with my faculty members so they can learn how to complete a task as well as teaching them how to fish. What I mean is that I keep sending them to Brightspace for the answers they rely on me for, and now they just cut me out of the loop and go directly to Brightspace. This makes everyone more productive and self-sufficient.

Brightspace review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Great Resource for Education"

What do you like best?

D2L allows instructors and students a gateway to their class materials. It integrates seamlessly into online content and allows for tracking and updates over the course of different semesters. As an educator it is straightforward and easy to create online tests and quizzes and performs great under the high strain of large class sizes.

What do you dislike?

Some of the functionality can be challenging to read or view on the site, requiring it to be opened in another browser window or downloaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't go it alone! On call support is there as this product becomes an industry standard!

Grades are posted and calculated immediately allowing for instant gratification. This is a wonderful product with very few drawbacks considering the wide number of files and functions it displays.

Brightspace review by Joshua S.
Joshua S.

"Great alternative to BlackBoard"

What do you like best?

D2L is like Blackboard used to be - responsive to customers, customization, and user-friendly. It's like Moodle, but turn-key so it works and is rock-solid.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was a bit better at grouping users into cohorts that could be added and removed from courses and eventually deactivated automatically.

Hosing online courses. It's been great, better than Moodle and just as good but cheaper than BlackBoard. It's easy to use on the student-end and has pretty good tools for the admin to manage courses and students.

Brightspace review by User in Music
User in Music

"Very helpful, but could be more user-friendly"

What do you like best?

There isn't another platform that I know of that really competes with how Brightspace is used in universities. They offer most of the tools needed to run a course online, and new tools are always being added. I also love the gradebook feature. It allows me to keep all of my grades organized in one place, let my students see their grades, and it even calculates grade totals for me based on my settings.

What do you dislike?

By nature, the way D2L is set up for my university is not extremely engaging. It looks like a program developed by coders with few graphic designers involved. This causes students to sometimes see it as "boring school" instead of an innovative environment. I have also seen other platforms for business that encourage collaboration more, which I would like to see done in D2L. It is also not very user-friendly for teachers or students. I have had several students be unsure of how to accomplish something in D2L, and there have been several things that I have to do as a teacher that are more complex than they should be. Another thing that could be improved is that Brightspace and D2L could be more clear about what features are available. I am always learning about features that I would have used earlier had I known they existed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using D2L, dig into Brightspace's resources as well as resources posted by your own workplace or other workplaces about D2L. Each university's version may be slightly different, but sometimes you can understand the process you need to take by looking at another university's tips on D2L usage.

I use D2L to give my students information and resources that I can't give them in class. It also helps me because it is connected to Turnitin, so I can have my students papers automatically checked for plagiarism. It is great being able to have students turn papers in on D2L to have a backup copy of all of their major papers in case anything gets lost, stolen, etc. It's also great that students can take quizzes that involve them listening to audio to answer the questions. As a music teacher, this is extremely beneficial.

"Review of D2L "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that D2L does just about everything I could ask of it. The Intelligent Agents are an incredible time saver and a really nice touch. The calendar works well and the checklists are lifesavers if used properly.

What do you dislike?

I wish that I could better see what the students actually see. Their screen looks different that what I see that they see from the instructor side. Do you see what I mean? HA

I also wish it was a bit more responsive and quicker to flip from page to page.

Can we see both the rubric AND the grading item at the same time instead of having to flip back and forth? If I don't know how to do it, yet it is possible, please enlighten me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is tedious, however I am not sure if other options are anymore streamlined. They might all be tedious.

We track everything from out management development program through D2L. We hand them surveys to evaluate program effectiveness, Give them a pre and post test to measure learning quantitatively, and give all other coursework via the dropbox. We even have them interacting with their peers via discussions and all of their grades are based on a rubric. Being able to grade items quickly by checking items off of a rubric is very handy.

Brightspace review by Joan Smith Y.
Joan Smith Y.

"In the Middle"

What do you like best?

It is a full learning management system with the usual interaction tools. It has a fairly clean, modern look. It is better than Blackboard.

What do you dislike?

It is not intuitive and buggy. It is much more difficult to learn and teach others to learn than Canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Canvas

Delivering online, blended, and hybrid courses.

Brightspace review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Brightspace review"

What do you like best?

The overall layout is easy to navigate through, especially for college students.

What do you dislike?

The inability of correcting a submitted PDF in the "assignments tab" For instance, in order to mark up homework students submit on the assignments tab, the homework file (PDF or word only), must be downloaded, then re-uploaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The grading area can be improved so be prepared to spend time getting used to what D2L has to offer.

The ability to have students submit work online (saves paper), grade easily, email easily, and overall improved communication with students.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Intuitive Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

You can really customize the environment from an administrative standpoint, and from an instructor standpoint. There are so many possibilities and opportunities to facilitate effective teaching and learning.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are several ways to do the same task. While this is helpful for a tech-savvy person, it can be confusing for those that are not as familiar with technology.

We are using the LMS across the entire University and to host our online and self-paced courses. We have been very impressed with overall dependability of the platform and the variety of ways that instructors use it to facilitate teaching and learning.

Brightspace review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Could Be Great, but too many problems"

What do you like best?

It's a very good representative of an education LMS that is designed for Higher Ed. You can use it to evaluate and communicate with students

What do you dislike?

It's a higher education product that desperately wants to be a K-12 product but still can't make good on its promises. The program is too cumbersome for a classroom teacher who does not have extra time to make it work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a Higher Ed user, then this product is for you. For K-12 clients, make sure you know exactly what you want in an LMS and you have staff that are dedicated to becoming the experts for because you will need it.

We are using it for our K-12 Learning Management System, which is something we didn't have the ability to do before.

Brightspace review by Shawna B.
Shawna B.

"D2L User Experience"

What do you like best?

D2L is easy to use even if the user has very little computer experience. The system is easy to navigate. All courses are clearly posted with easy to find sections for each portion of the class.

What do you dislike?

The e-mail system could be better. I feel like it could be more intuitive with addresses. The shell isn't as easy to update as I would've liked it to be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

D2L is a great teaching companion tool for any course or when used as stand alone software for an online class. I would recommend this to any colleague who wasn't already using this system.

This is a great supplemental educational tool for use as stand alone course or to compliment on campus courses. I feel if the course shells were easier to update I might use it for more courses as a supplemental portion instead of homework from textbooks.

Brightspace review by Brett P.
Brett P.

"D2l"

What do you like best?

All assignments are posted as well as the syllabi for each class

What do you dislike?

Sometimes d2l is shut down for frequent maintenance

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using this for students to manage their work.

D2l in this case is used to manage students classwork and I use it as well for my own classes

Administrator in Higher Education

"A Comprehensive and Effective LMS"

What do you like best?

D2L makes it possible to mirror a classroom environment virtually. The allowable modifications also permit its use for other areas such as learning communities and training programs. The controls are intuitive and allow for both beginner and advanced users to modify pages and structures.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, D2L does require some downtime for server updates and on occasion we have had to reach out to the home office for an issue we were unable to resolve. Fixes were always made quickly and impacts minimized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do inquire as to how this system functions with others, such as an early alert or analytics dashboard.

We realize the need to fully utilize more features of our LMS by using D2L. The opportunities for blended learning that have come out of some of the features are being incorporated across the board at my institution.

"Great, simple to use"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that this software, Brightspace, is very user friendly. Took me no time at all to figure it out when I started working here!

What do you dislike?

If you sign in from a mobile device, the mobile platform looks different enough, it can throw off a new user until they get used to it.

It keeps everything in one spot, and I feel like it helps me stay organized and efficient.

Brightspace review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"10/10 for online learning"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of navigating throughout Brightspace. It is a clear and a consistent layout with great functionality.

What do you dislike?

It is much clearer than navigating on other sites. I've taken classes using both Blackboard and Brightspace, and Brightspace is by far superior.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth switching over to Brightspace. The layout options alone are worth it.

The benefits of Brightspace are endless, but my success using it has been the biggest benefit.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use and manage"

What do you like best?

I am not the most technologically savvy person around and D2L is easy for me to navigate and use for my purposes. I know that I do not use it to its full potential, but I am highly satisfied with the aspects of it that I do use.

What do you dislike?

At times the software is clunky and freezes up. I have had complaints from my students that the dropbox or email malfunction on occasion, but we do not use it frequently enough for it to be a major problem.

D2L makes it easy to communicate with my students when we are away from class. This is the first kind of technology I have adapted in to my classroom and I was surprised at their response in being able to submit homework and have discussions online.

Brightspace review by Nick P.
Nick P.

"D2L Experience"

What do you like best?

It is a fairly intuitive site, and the layout looks nice

What do you dislike?

The e-mail service should connect directly to PCC's email, otherwise it can be difficult to communicate

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would doulbecheck with your professors on how they use D2L and what they expect of you when using the software.

I am working on a mandatory health class in order to transfer to Portland State University

The dream of the future you see, dissolves, and in time, so does the apprehsnion. The world under sun is no exception, and all you see around you, evolves.

Brightspace review by Amie L.
Amie L.

"It's fine but not stellar"

What do you like best?

Documents are organized all in one place. There is an ability to organize into folders. It's great that grades are available for tracking progress and double checking teachers records.

What do you dislike?

Navigation can be a little confusing. There is more than one place to go to get to the same page and sometimes I can't remember where I am and have to start over. Also, I wish it would open to my current class instead of me having to navigate to it every time. Class metrics are hard to find.

I'm a student.

Brightspace review by Administrator

"User friendly but needs more features"

What do you like best?

Brightspace is a easy to use cms with many built in features such as attendance, grade book, discussions, and drop boxes.

What do you dislike?

It is lacking true integration with our student information system. The built in eportfilio tool is cumbersome at best and difficult for students to utilize. Built in surveying is adequate but it is impossible to extract usable raw data!

Allows faculty to efficiently share content and collect assignments from students

Brightspace review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"D2L Review by a Distance Educator"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to organize lessons into subject area modules, where I can attach lectures, handouts, videos and other media, along with external links to other teaching tools.

What do you dislike?

For students uploading files to dropboxes and discussion forums is not always clear and seems to involve too many steps. A frequent problem occurs when a student attempts to upload a document, but does not click the final button to actually upload it, because it already appears as an attachment.

Educating students in distance education classes.

Brightspace review by Sarah I.
Sarah I.

"Online Teaching - D2L"

What do you like best?

D2L is easy to navigate as an instructor and as a student. I like that I can customize the templates and navigation bar. I primarily use D2L in addition to my face to face courses so students have access to grades and feedback.

What do you dislike?

That emails can only be accessed through logging in to the D2L site. It would be nice to have the emails forwarded to my school email.

D2L works well for the online students and is easy to navigate.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"The good, the bad, the ugly. "

What do you like best?

Good. It is self-contained and allows for privacy for small groups. This is good. So it is improving with time. This is probably one of the best out there.

What do you dislike?

Bad. It is not easy to use at times, and you have to find an expert to help you.

Ugly. People can't find things. You have to tell them what to click. That is not good because things should just make sense. So some things are not intuitive. Thus, the design is lacking. You have too many menus. There is a menu on the top and menus on the side. Folks get lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve.

The security of having a closed system has its benefits.

Brightspace review by User

"I have been teaching at a University that uses D2L for 6. It is not mandatory to use but I do. "

What do you like best?

I think it is fairly intuitive to use. Easy to navigate and figure out. I like that it send students notification via email or text when grades are posted, news announcement, etc.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to update all the material and set dates in one place. Instead I have to go through each individual channel such as discussions, drop box, quizzes, etc. to set dates etc. for each assignment in that area. I dislike the fact that it does not update with McGraw Hill Connect Learn Smart. It will do it for a period of time and then stop syncing. I dislike the reporting side of D2L but many don't use this function. I use it because I am working on a grant project and it is very difficult if not nearly impossible to extract data that is ours without having to pay D2L and wait on them. I also dislike that it does not seamlessly connect with our university system which is UCONNECT.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It all depends on what you need and want. I would encourage higher education to make it mandatory to use the system. This will help students!!

The benefits are that students can be updated at all times and know where they stand - if the faculty member uses it.

Brightspace review by Sarah Z.
Sarah Z.

"Still a New User"

What do you like best?

Clean look, easy to navigate, haven't found any problems yet

What do you dislike?

Like any new program, it takes a while to find your way around

I am a student using the software for online learning

Brightspace review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Nice Features"

What do you like best?

I like the interface and its flexibility. It's clean and user-friendly. I also like how easy it is for developers to use. Editing content is very simple.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, there are glitches. For example, the other day, there were a few hours when I was unable to open PDF files in the viewer. It resolved itself within hours, but it was still inconvenient.

It's great for non-traditional students. It makes online courses easier to navigate.

Brightspace review by Mike T.
Mike T.

"Brightspace in education"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to post power point presentations for my students and the ability to start and participate in discussions.

What do you dislike?

It's not exactly user-friendly and there's a lot of windows to work your way through to get what you want.

I don't really work on business problems. I'm an educator.

Brightspace review by User in Information Technology and Services

"D2L is a very competent product, easy to navigate and has all the functionality I need."

What do you like best?

The fact that D2L is a all-in-one solution, you don't have to go to a different website to get your assignments and tasks done.

What do you dislike?

Last time I used the software (~ May 2015) D2L didn't have a real mobile interface, making it hard to use on a mobile device. I also had issues with the dropbox functionality, which may have been something sporadic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schedule a demo so you can see what the software is capable of. Educational software can be tricky, the different terms can be tricky (i.e. dropbox instead of upload), seeing D2L in action will help you better understand the tool and how easy it is to use it.

I'm confused by this question.

I was a primary user of D2L, and gave basic support to students who were also users of the platform. From a technical perspective, D2L has always been very stable. It's a solution that staff, faculty and students enjoyed using. I guess our business problem was having a platform to deploy tests, communicate with students, and share lessons. All those tasks were fully realized by D2L.

Brightspace review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Helpful for providing immediate feedback, some confusion for new student users"

What do you like best?

I like that I can view, give feedback on homework before the students arrive in class. It allows me to know who is prepared for in-class activities and lectures and the opportunity for face-to-face conversations as students arrive in class. When the class meets once a week, this is particularly helpful. Students newer to D2L often have difficulty with the drop box, however, as they try to figure how to put things in. This term, I'm not using the 'contents' section and putting everything in the announcements for the week--handouts, assignments given and explained in class, relevant powerpoints. Students don't have to search.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty for students getting things in the drop box initially.

The possibility of too many dates popping up and stressing students who have multiple classes. I'm working to be more minimalist. I wish sometimes that students could set the email to be forwarded to their usual email as not all check the D2L email I am finding.

Not sure what this question is asking. I don't have a business.

Brightspace review by Fostina C.
Fostina C.

"The Holy Grail"

What do you like best?

I like the text alerts of emails, grades, dues dates. with the every changing world and the attachment to cell phones these alerts come in the "clutch" every single time. Easy to us. Easy to organize

What do you dislike?

Calendar mix ups., not sure about which calendar the info is being pulled from at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Interface change maybe?

Better organization. There's no excuse to forget about something with so many reminders.

Brightspace review by Administrator in Music
Administrator in Music

"Good resource for tech-heavy topics"

What do you like best?

Grade organizing is a big one, as well as being able to lay out class resources, further reading, Powerpoint slides, and other weekly resources in one place, with relatively easy interface.

What do you dislike?

Interface can still be clunky and non-intuitive in terms of naming, location of commonly used items, and copy/moving elements around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most of my complaints are based on my specific usage, and I generally find a good solution once I've learned more of the UI and features. Students and Admin find their way through it relatively easy.

Grading is a major one, and time management for myself and students is easier to plan and improve on.

Administrator in Higher Education

"D2L: gets the job done, but not as efficient as I would like."

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of uploading assignments and notes. It is simple to add documents when necessary.

What do you dislike?

The site has a tendency to be unavailable at times, which is very difficult when you are depending on the information that is stored on the site.

It is also a little clunky when using some of the classroom tools. I feel there is a lot of information that is unnecessary on the home page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great for general use (communication, posting documents, research submission), but lacks in user-friendly information. I have attended classes to better grasp the features, but it is still a lot of information that is unnecessary to the general user.

It is great for general communication with students to provide the necessary classroom items. I believe the integration of Turnitin.com into the site has enabled an easier submission of research papers.

Brightspace review by User in Research
User in Research

"D2L "

What do you like best?

It is pretty easy to upload a wide variety of files and links very quickly

What do you dislike?

The design and layout are cumbersome. Not user friendly or easy to find features

Recommendations to others considering the product

Allows you to do everything you need to do. Just not intuitive, takes a lot of time to get things done the way you want them. Switching between views is tedious you don't know what things will look like to others unless you switch your role. Makes it easy to think you have posted something and you haven't.

Easy to track grades. Drop box makes it very simple for students to turn in papers/assignments.

Brightspace review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Great features, a bit confusing"

What do you like best?

The many, many features for adding files and links and the dropbox, checking grades, comparisons of grades to other class members via graphs and charts, quizzes. I like the layout for laying out the schedule for each week as classes progress. Many great features.

What do you dislike?

That it's confusing where to find what and how it all works. It remained confusing for weeks and weeks. Not intuitive with features that were difficult to find, like a corrected version of a paper a teacher submitted after grading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give users plenty of time and instruction in getting familiar with D2L.

I am a student who uses D2L.

Brightspace review by Michael D.
Michael D.

"Sociology Hybrid Course Instructor Gives 2 Thumbs Up"

What do you like best?

Well oiled machine at this point. All pieces of the platform work well from both ends of the teacher-student relationship.

What do you dislike?

I have no major complaints about D2L. It is a nice platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is top-shelf.

I teach sociology, and have managed to move all my evaluation and much of my "housekeeping" communications to online, non-classroom time, which means more time for our actual topics.

Brightspace review by Sara F.
Sara F.

"Great System"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to learn to use!..

What do you dislike?

When starting out it can be difficult to understand

My students are understanding more

Brightspace review by Kristi H.
Kristi H.

"Phasing out D2L "

What do you like best?

I like the historical access to courses I once was part of either as a student or as an administrator.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the home page of courses can feel a bit scattered if you don't spend a ton of time establishing a good layout that is easy to follow.

It has been a solid way to deliver course content online.

Brightspace review by User

"It is quite helpful."

What do you like best?

The best experience I had with D2L was in one of my STATS classes. We could check our course progress, grades, homework, helpful tips and feedback, and even practice quizzes all in one place. We had class in the campus, but D2L was incredibly helpful for homework and studying.

What do you dislike?

It was annoying to lose important information at the end of the term. I couldn't find a practical and effective way to save data and information for further access (future reference) after the term was over.

I have certainly realized the benefits of having complementary resources for homework and material heavy courses.

Brightspace review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Law Practice
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Law Practice

"D2L review"

What do you like best?

The grade book/mange grade. It helps both instructor and student/user to keep a tab on grades

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I am pretty happy using D2L for my classes.

I teach college level Biology and I really like D2L. D2L has several benefits - it helps me role over class material from one term to another; it's great for uploading grades and both teacher and student can keep a tab on the final score; dropbox facility is also great.

Please note that to me 'company size' is 'class size'. I didn't see any options for college instructors to choose in this survey.

Brightspace review by Miyanaga S.
Miyanaga S.

"D2L Is a Great Platform"

What do you like best?

D2L is easy to use and very reliable . I prefer to take as many of my classes as I can using it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be hard or confusing to locate a thread that I am looking for.

I use D2L for classes that I am taking. It is great because I can work when it is convenient for me.

Brightspace review by Venus B.
Venus B.

"educational purposes "

What do you like best?

It is easy to navigate and if I need help I feel comfortable enough to use the on line help that is offered on the web site.

What do you dislike?

I still like the person to person contact that is in a class room setting.

Right now I am coordinating a group project in order to present our ideas in an educational setting.

Brightspace review by David I.
David I.

"D2L is a great tool"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and is intuitive. It was easy to use the system after using other LMS like Canvas and Blackboard

What do you dislike?

The system itself is great. Interface within the school's network could be easier to navigate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Na

I had to coordinate with admin to get access to certain things but that was a school issue

Brightspace review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"Stepping up and moving ahead."

What do you like best?

D2L is a leader in accessibility, in education - this is key.

What do you dislike?

The older style of the dropbox and discussion board vs. the new responsive daylight experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switching LMSs takes time. Course packages will have issues no matter the LMS. Make sure you have enough time.

Running 90+ courses via D2L.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Social Media for Business Course"

What do you like best?

A-synchronistic course work and video lectures meant I could work at my own pace and fit the assignments around my job and business launch. I was never worried about keeping up and just completed the steps as I was ready to actually use the strategy or tool in my new business. No wasted effort "just practicing". Also the course provided a great overview that will help with future planning for tools like google+

What do you dislike?

Interface for saving items was a bit clunky and I used Evernote instead.

Social media marketing --creating a plan and coordinating for my business launch. One benefit is using a tool to schedule postings and also post across platforms, which is a bit time saver. I also appreciated the guidance on WHAT to post WHERE.

Brightspace review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Good tool for education"

What do you like best?

It is simple enough but often features used are not fully compatible with powerschool that holds our reporting database

What do you dislike?

Not super user friendly and not very seamless

No use of tags for student names

report cards

marks

forum

Brightspace review by Brandi B.
Brandi B.

"RN Faculty"

What do you like best?

I love that all my course information is easily accessible to my students.

What do you dislike?

There are no features that I dislike with D2L.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great learning management system that is easy to use.

The statistical data provided for quizzes is an excellent benefit.

Brightspace review by Matt D.
Matt D.

"Review of D2L"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, being able to create online quizzes and exams

What do you dislike?

Honestly haven't found anything I dislike about it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent tool for teachers and students, highly recommended

Reducing paper usage, automated grading saves time and gives student immediate feedback.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Strong medium for taking online classes."

What do you like best?

I appreciate the headline feed that reminds me of upcoming due dates and quiz/exam deadlines.

What do you dislike?

I don't feel that I need photos along with the profile names.

Being in the business of being a student, I find that D2L is a great resource for taking online classes which allows for a more flexible schedule. For the last 2 years I have taken at least one online course without any errors or faults that were not "user" induced.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Review of D2L Brightspace"

What do you like best?

Compared to other products on the market, I like the user interface, reporting features, and instructional design wizard.

What do you dislike?

I wish students were able to create discussion boards and chat rooms without the need for professor involvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

D2L is intended to be a "whole" system. As such, I would recommend using all of the products from the beginning rather than a staggered implementation, despite the advice provided by the company to do the staggered approach.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Distance Learning algebra classes as well as file and discussion and gradebook for face-to-face"

What do you like best?

The ability to copy-edit shells from term to term.

What do you dislike?

Gradebook -- less dynamic than Excel, hard to weight assignments accurately unless a point system is used, hard to drop an entire category, hard to check if it is set-up correctly, ... I always download my gradebook to excel and work from there.

We are addressing disabilities and accessibility of on line resources and being able to incorporate HTML5 into widgets is helpful in that pursuit.

"D2L Brightspace Review"

What do you like best?

User friendly. Especially easy for students to operate. Easy grading tools.

What do you dislike?

I'm always getting hit with the monthly updates - primarily being on the west coast makes it start at 10pm on a Saturday.

I would like to be able to embed photos and graphics more easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work on using all the features. Contact tech support when necessary.

I'm using the system my college selected. It serves my purposes as an instructor well.

Administrator in Higher Education

"D2L provides a robust, on-line classroom experience"

What do you like best?

I love the live video streaming feature of D2L; it enables participants the benefit of additional visual cues from the instructors and classmates.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the perceived learning curve for D2L; resistance from new faculty who are accustomed to seated classrooms must be overcome with each hire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give yourself time to learn the various features to ensure efficiency and engagement.

The business problem I'm working to solve is access to CEU and other training courses for healthcare professionals. We are working to serve CEU needs both locally and in rural areas; D2L enables participants to access high quality trainings without the expense of traveling to Portland or other larger cities.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Spreadsheet view to enter the grade easily"

What do you like best?

I like the spreadsheet view to enter the grades.

What do you dislike?

Managing files is very challenging.. Export and import of files can be improved.

I use it for my PCC courses for attendance grades mainly. You can set up the gradebook easily. That being said to enter the categories and items we can come up with simpler way. Other than that I believe D2L serves the purpose but does not stand out.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"I am a student and employee at PCC and I use D2L for online courses and training."

What do you like best?

I think D2L is extremely user friendly and depends on how well a instructor engages with the software. I've found that instructors who include a wide variety of content on the site I enjoy the course more.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the design, sometimes. I feel like some links to certain areas of the site are redundant. I would also like to see a more minimalist and sleek design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unsure

The D2L software is great for a community college such as PCC. It allows students with busy schedules to work on their own time. Its also a great alternative educational tool that draws in a large number of students.

Brightspace review by Trevor G.
Trevor G.

"Good functional platform, but slightly outdated"

What do you like best?

The system works well in every way I’ve noticed, from instructor and student viewpoints.

What do you dislike?

The interface could definitely benefit from an updated ux design

Instructor/student interaction, grading and information storage at the university level

"D2L as LMS"

What do you like best?

Not sure I have anything great to say about it, but I never used anything but Blackboard and D2L. Both seem outdated.

What do you dislike?

I am a good user of technology. I found D2L to be difficult to learn, definitely not intuitive, disorganized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the newest systems (Moodle, etc) and catch up. This company is a dinosaur.

As LMS, the benefits are clear. The ability to organize my materials online.

Brightspace review by Mary N.
Mary N.

"Desire2Learn "

What do you like best?

I have used Desire2Learn as a D2L admin, course developer and online instructor and I appreciate the flexibility and overall ease of use of the system. The ability to customize the site to meet the unique needs of the school or the learner are a major factor in the overall positive rating. I also like that D2L continues to incorporate new tools and features designed to enhance the user experience.

What do you dislike?

Having used Desire2Learn for several years, along with the positive attributes there are also some elements that can be frustrating. The system does go down more often that I would like (we are hosted by D2L and not self-hosted). Some tools are a little clunky, and the interface is not always consistent in terms of where fields, such as restrictions are placed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare other systems. Have a clearly defined list of what features and benefits you need. Have a clearly defined list of questions regarding the level and type of support you will need.

The business problem being solved is providing access to higher education to large groups of students, many who live a distance from the main campus. We are also trying to provide access to a range of learners who work a variety of shifts and may not be able to attend classes in a more traditional setting. Overall, learners, who come prepared to work and can work independently have been successful.

Brightspace review by Shira K.
Shira K.

"It is easy to navigate, both as a student and as a teacher. "

What do you like best?

Lots of possibilities for organization, easy to enter grades and grade papers

What do you dislike?

Easy to make a privacy setting mistake; can be confusing about which privacy limit applies to which file

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great to use with students in higher education

Good for collaboration

"D2L Expereince"

What do you like best?

The ease of user interface and the administrative features that allow multiple reporting and management functions on the back-end.

What do you dislike?

Some of the menu options tend to be somewhat confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you are not considering to purchase, give it a try as a benchmark.

We use the system for instruction delivery for distance learning students. It has proven invaluable as collaborative learning environment.

"D2L "

What do you like best?

We have made great strides in making our user interface accessible for people using Assistive Technology (i.e. screenreaders). I think that the interface layout is simple and not as confusing as some other options out there.

What do you dislike?

User interface is s a little outdated. I wish that there were a way to require all documents were accessible via OCR.

Providing an accessible LMS

"Extensive D2L user"

What do you like best?

The checklists. They are great for helping students know what is due. I also really like the rubric tool.

What do you dislike?

The rubric tools could use to modification. I cannot use it when I have a rubric with many criteria and no levels. I also don't like that I cannot upload an external document to the checklist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Brightspace review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"SurveyMonkey"

What do you like best?

I love being able to easily poll my students on various options.

What do you dislike?

The advertisements get annoying! I wish you could do free surveys without them!

Majority polls within the classroom

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Desire2learn Brightspace for eLearning"

What do you like best?

Desire2learn Brightspace for eLearning provides the ability to communicate and collaborate with students.

What do you dislike?

No mobile application for students--this should be included for student usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to use this for learning management in an educational environment--consider the lack of a mobile application available.

Desire2learn Brightspace for eLearning management system for students to collaborate with their instructor and course in the higher education environment.

Brightspace review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Easy to use from a Student Perspective"

What do you like best?

Ease of use; can communicate well with professors and other students, and can easily find assignments, etc.

What do you dislike?

Discussion pages can be hard to navigate. It would be helpful to use keywords instead of deciphering titles only. It can sometimes be difficult figuring out how to read the question vs opening the series.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The instructor makes the page. Most instructors organize their page well, making it easier for students to use.

"I like D2L"

What do you like best?

It just seems to work better and nicer than Blackboard and Moodle!

What do you dislike?

Finding where to go isn't always as intuitive as I would like it to be. Tabs don't always show up and I use them for navigation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clean interface with ability to standardize experience.

Online and hybrid LMS at community college.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"D2L does everything that I need it do as an instructor, but it's not my favorite LMS. "

What do you like best?

I like the general functionality of the grade book, messaging system, discussion component, and video embedding capabilities.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are more related to aesthetics. It doesn't look as clean as other LMS platforms and students seem to have more difficulty in navigating than in other LMS platforms that I've used.

It is useful for online teaching and interacting with students. This is the only capacity in which I have used D2L.

"Librarian"

What do you like best?

Lots of ways to communicate with students. Full of options yet relatively easy to add HTML content.

What do you dislike?

A few bugs in the areas of inserting or embedding content. It has so many features that there's no way you could know how to use all of them.

Online course delivery system.

"As a student"

What do you like best?

There is a fluidity to the design and an intuitive experience that I appreciate.

What do you dislike?

I have no serious complaints - the software was/is easy to interact with and support.

I have utilized the software in a student capacity and as a student e-learning support specialist..

"D2L Brightspace works"

What do you like best?

I enjoy how easy it is to upload and organize items on D2L brightspace. I also feel like the layout is very intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything about D2L Brightspace. It works quite well with my current needs.

I am able to communicate well with my students (I use D2L for classes). All content is up-to-date, available, and ready for students to see and use.

"D2L Review"

What do you like best?

I like that it houses everything in one location. It is nice for seeing courses per semester.

What do you dislike?

There are portions of it that I do not find to be very user friendly from an administrative standpoint when it comes to managing classes and creating the site for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not a decision maker in this area so I do not feel like I can answer this question.

N/A = I use this as a LMS not a corporate LMS.

Brightspace review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Love D2L"

What do you like best?

It allows me to focus on student interactions and D2L takes care of the mundane tasks.

What do you dislike?

I set up my classes in certain ways and there are times I wish I could customize certain functions to streamline my workflow.

Not applicable

Brightspace review by Andrea S.
Andrea S.

"Using D2L in Higher Education"

What do you like best?

The ease of use is great for faculty and students. The support line for SysAdmin is very supportive and attentive.

What do you dislike?

As like all technology, the occasional random blip that send students into panic mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend.

We utilize D2L for our higher education online learning environments. It's helping more people come back to school so they can work on their own time instead of having to come to campus for actual face to face classes.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Robust LMS that is student-friendly with great stability!"

What do you like best?

Regarding student side, little orientation and tutorial regarding tools and features.

What do you dislike?

Lack of flow and consistency from tool to tool, such as the way the Rubric works in Discussion verses Dropbox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no recommendations at this time.

This question in not applicable to me.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Brightspace Improves upon D2L System"

What do you like best?

User friendly, easy for students to navigate, gives options for students to customize their ePortfolios more than with other programs.

What do you dislike?

Some students have difficulty utilizing the advanced options of the ePortfolios. There are definitely cheaper LMS options.

Data analysis options, quality user interfase.

Brightspace review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Useful for secondary"

What do you like best?

The ability to upload documents into organized folders and create assignment dropboxes.

What do you dislike?

Setting up homepages for new courses can be overly time consuming.

Teacher-student communication.

Brightspace review by User in Higher Education

"Great product from an enterprising group"

What do you like best?

Customer service and young entrepreneurial team

What do you dislike?

More features and the ability to upgrade seamlessesly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

trial is always good

teaching and learning

Learning about Brightspace?

* We monitor all Brightspace reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.