Buildium

Property accounting, online and fee payments, and maintenance requests. Property Management Software.

Work for Buildium?

Learning about Buildium?

Buildium Reviews

Ask Buildium a Question
Showing 30 Buildium reviews
Buildium review by Karen  J.
Karen J.

"Good product, easy to use!"

What do you like best?

Great interface, even a novice in property management software would be able to use this product!

What do you dislike?

I wish they had options to add pets, I think it's a little inconvenient. Also I wish the training was more one on one in the beginning. I'm a little confused on a few things and haven't been able to find answers without calling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do believe that Buildium is always going to be upgrading their systems. They have an app and have the ability to pay online, which is amazing!

It helps us stay up to date on payments. i love that I can enter in all of our tenant info and bills and i can share it across the company.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Buildium
Buildium review by Katrina B.
Katrina B.

"A helpful- but overwhelming- program"

What do you like best?

There are tons of features! You can automate reminders and create complete to-do lists, on top of basically all accounting and leasing needs.

What do you dislike?

Everything is in a separate location (so many drop down boxes!) and there are a few things you can't complete without filling out the same information in a totally different location. It gets confusing quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No matter how DIY you are, go through all tutorials and FAQs before you so much as type one number into the program. It's so easy to mess things up long term just by thinking you know what the program is describing-- you probably don't.

It allows us to track rentals, payments, inspections, and all accounting - and we're nowhere near utilizing it fully.

What Property Management solution do you use?

Buildium review by Jeremiah M.
Jeremiah M.

"Great product, still has holes"

What do you like best?

Buildium is a great product that integrates all the essentials of property management. Leasing, accounting, tenant tracking, work orders. I like that it is cloud-based and can access it anywhere. I can have as many users as I want. The pricing is competitive. I love the integration. The general workflow is very easy to use. Many of the tedious functions of property management can be done with a single click such as sending money to owners doing background checks, paying out management fees, entering charges.

What do you dislike?

The way the software does work orders is weak. It does not allow multiple work orders per task. That makes it difficult to attach bills from several different kinds of vendors and one work order.I also do not like the pricing as far as homeowner associations are concerned. It gets very expensive for homeowners associations. There're some third-party services that I think could be better.The inspections integration is neat but not particularly easy to use.The background checks are good but it could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buildium has a very steep learning curve. So everyone should take the time to learn very clearly how to use it before they dive into using it.

Buildium allows us to keep more organized and save a tremendous amount of manpower and time. We eliminate costly typographical errors. Even though it is costly to use the electronic funds transfer options is much faster and easier than trying to enter in paper checks manually with our secretaries.

Buildium review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"The easy and proficient way to run a business"

What do you like best?

The program is very easy to use and learn on your own. Even the tutorials are useful. Very hands on and interactive.

What do you dislike?

When printing out monthly statements, I have to print out everyone including owners who are on ACH. This is a waste of paper. An option to like box next to owner name to opt out of printing statements would be nice. Also, the area where you can enter statement information has decreased and very hard to even write anything in there. This area should be larger and easier to enter in information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everything is worth trying. This was a great system for starters or even advanced knowledge in HOA Management. A lot can be self taught and when you have a question the Buildium team is amazing and very helpful with many options to reach them.

The new upgrades with financial statements have made things easier. They are easier to understand and provide a full detail. Board members are in favor of the upgrades.

Buildium review by Andrew H.
Andrew H.

"Awesome Product, Excellent Customer Service!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Buildium for the last three years and have thoroughly enjoyed the product. My favorite aspect of Buildium is that the company is constantly improving the services offered and listening to clients and our needs!

What do you dislike?

There are not many items that come to mind that I dislike. I will say, however, that the merchant services provider is sometimes frustrating as is the credit reporting services provider. The credit reports sometimes take an exceptionally long time to populate, causing issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great service that rivals most major companies.

Our business has streamlined many of our processes through using Buildium. Our rental applications are all fully integrated with our websites. Our staff can access data anywhere. Our clients can pay rent and access documents and request maintenance. It is a great product that works perfectly for our company.

Buildium review by William L.
William L.

"Best solution out there for R/E Professionals"

What do you like best?

The software interface is great. You easily move from function to task, report back to function with just a few clicks of the mouse

What do you dislike?

The only complaint I have is that Buildium is perfect for the residential market. The features, data fields, reports, etc. are perfect for the residential property market. We make Buildium work for us in the commercial world... it's not 'perfect', there are some 'data points' that don't get collected, but out of the box it works just fine for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have a small commercial real-estate company. We only manage buildings that we own. With about 10 buildings and a total of about 30 tenants, this is not a full-time job. Buildium takes all of the busy-work from behind the scenes (accounting, billing, collection, communication with tenants, etc.) and automates it. Now, I can focus on acquiring more properties.

I was spending $500-$800 per month on a part-time bookkeeper just to do the books of my small real-estate company. Now? I spend about 2 hours a month in total. It's not just the savings of money, but the amount of time that I save is significant.

Buildium review by Administrator

"Great for management, subpar for accounting purposes."

What do you like best?

The tasks, email communications, and eLeases are great. Also, the unlimited (free!) customer support! They are helpful, polite, and have lots of online articles so oftentimes I don't have to call even with detailed questions.

What do you dislike?

The accounting feature is subpar at best; specifically in regard to printing checks. We tried our hardest to integrate it, but still have to do everything with Quickbooks externally and transfer the information to Buildium. Not a problem while our company is small, but I perceive it may become more of a problem later on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buildium is elegant, efficient, and very easy to use. Occasional oddities, but the support team is great. If accounting is your main concern, Buildium is not for you.

Communication, recorded and timestamped tenant interactions, leases ending/beginning. eLeases and ePay have saved our lives.

Buildium review by Annie D.
Annie D.

"Great Simple Property Management Application"

What do you like best?

I've used Buildium and switched to Appfolio and had to switch back to Buildium. Buildium is very easy and intuitive to use. They are always adding new features to the platform. One of my best features is the ease of sending reports to owners and paying them.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there is a way to customize fields in a report instead of using stock reports.

In regards to background checks - I wish they would have included rental history.

When we start out in 2011 we used spreadsheets to track payments and manually sending Excel reports to owners. It was pretty hard to keep track of all the activities for 50 properties. And creating a report at an aggregate level was impossible,

Buildium allowed our team to become automated. Tenants can set up auto debit feature and owners can view their financials on demand. The other cool feature that they have is that you can create vendor accounts for your vendors to go in and update workorders.

Administrator in Real Estate

"My overall experience with Buildium has been extremely positive."

What do you like best?

-easy to update

-stores key information and documents everything for great record keeping

-gives clients and vendors confidence that they can access financials and ensure transparency

-allows you to mass email residents which is extremely time saving

-I'm 'technology-retarded' so I love that it's user friendly

What do you dislike?

I really only have 2 complaints. 1 is that is can slow down my computer a whole lot. The second is that there is no specific place to enter condo owner's renters for when owners don't actually occupy their unit and rent it out or allow family members to reside in their unit. It would be very helpful in some instances to be able to mass email or contact the owners as well as the actual occupants in the building that are not owners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do it.

We have had multiple major clients (100k + /year contracts) select us as their property management company due to us having this software. One client had a previous property management company commit fraud and steal 20k from them so this gives them piece of mind that all of the financial records are at their finger tips, including uploaded invoices.

"Easy to use program"

What do you like best?

The layout and design is simple with most commonly used features within easy reach. There are so many reports so if an owner requests something there is usually no issue accommodating any request. Ledgers are easy to understand for employees and tenants. The application process is also extremely easy to use.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features that I would like to give a try that do cost money. I would like to see all features included in our monthly price. My least favorite thing about buildium is that whenever you go to open a photo or pdf file it downloads to my computer. It would be much easier if this opened inside the window. It would be nice if all pictures could be seen together instead of downloading 1 by 1.

Our biggest benefit of using Buildium is tracking tenant and owner financials along. The tasks portion also plays an important role as we have maintenance technicians on staff and when we assign them tasks they know exactly what to do and when.

Buildium review by Dena L.
Dena L.

"Ease of Use full transparency for Clients!"

What do you like best?

Credit Score Tenancy Application validation

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of since you updated preferred vnedors to each property

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is like childsplay- quick to learn, fast to navigate all areas and very responsive help desk should you not be a millenial

Accountability to offer full responses to any questions

"Simple, Clean Interface"

What do you like best?

I love both the dashboard, which is customizable, and the task system.

What do you dislike?

As far as I can remember, there is nothing big that I dislike. The only thing I can remember is thinking that I wished the resident theme was a darker shade of red, as it would then match our brand colors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it

We are able to keep the process simple, moving, and completely trackable.

Buildium review by John F.
John F.

"Great! And keeps getting better! "

What do you like best?

I like that it's a complete solution that is all in one. It combines the record keeping of rents, and other tenant information, but also gives me a way to track maintenance, handle bills, etc.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more flexibility with the look and feel of the supplied websites, emails and customer facing stuff.

Property Management. Keeping track of everything.

Buildium review by Nicoli T.
Nicoli T.

"Good"

What do you like best?

Takes a little bit of thought to set up, but after that it is pretty much "set it and forget it"

What do you dislike?

Reporting was difficult. If there was an error it was hard to track down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely get it.

This kept tenant money separate from company money in a way other software did not.

Administrator in Real Estate

"Buildium is a great property management software"

What do you like best?

I like the best that Buildium is easier to use than other property management software. Everything from setting up a new property, procuring tenants, or even advertising Buildium has helped us develop from a few properties to almost 50!

What do you dislike?

One thing I did not like was how accounts got credited once the tenant pays rent. For instance, let's say I worked out a deal with Mr. Smith that we are going to make partial payments each month because he needed to pay more of a security deposit. Knowing that money is owed, if represented as a negative balance the system automatically pays accounts that have those negatives. Later on I found out that this can actually be changed in the system.

This happens about once a month when a question kind of pops up out of nowhere. So far there has not been a problem that has not been able to be fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Large or small, your property management business can be run with ease using Buildium. One your initial account is set up and your properties are entered, anything from marketing to background checks are very easy to do. Buildium is also very cost effective and no long term contracts!!! Don't get stuck with a company that doesn't work for you.

Current business problems are keeping the accounting process in balance. Sometimes there are issues that you cannot understand so we call direct and they solve the issue. Buildium makes sure that we know we have access to specific reporting should our accounting be off. As a small business, Buildium really helps to make the property management business a lot less stressful. I have worked with other property manager software and they tend to cater to large companies.

Buildium review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"A property management powerhouse"

What do you like best?

The ease to keep track of tenants and payments made, along with notes for each property where you can keep track of correspondence and appliances along with repairs made.

What do you dislike?

If mistakes are made during setup, such as two seperate addresses for one duplex, it is very difficult to merge the properties for reports at year end. Care must be taken during setup.

The ability to track tenants payments and balances is much easier, along with the ability to synchronize rental listings along many different listing sites in one area.

Buildium review by Steven M.
Steven M.

"We love Buildium"

What do you like best?

We love the customer service and tech support offered by Buildium.

What do you dislike?

I didn't find Buildium earlier in my career.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is user friendly. Customer support is excellent. If Buildium doesn't have what you need just tell them and they will add it. A feature all software companies need.

Time is our problem. Buildium has helped us organize our files better saving us time everyday.

Administrator in Real Estate

"Buildium is the key to Property Management"

What do you like best?

The financial reporting and interface are both very user friendly

What do you dislike?

I have been using Buildium for over 4 years and have been impressed with their constant system upgrades.

Communication with unit owners and boards is simplified. The financial transparency allows the boards to be at ease. Work order reports are very easy to use.

"Great property management"

What do you like best?

I love that tenants can pay their rents online. It is easy to accept applications online, to create tenant accounts, to upload files to individual accounts, and makes it so easy to keep all of your tenant notes or documents in one place.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I could not sort a list of tenants by who still owed monies for the current month.

We solved the problem of keeping rents current by having digital copies of all notes and receipts.

Buildium review by Sam G.
Sam G.

"Generally satisfied with product"

What do you like best?

The sight is very user friendly and easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

Reports are not always accurate - If an owner contributes money to their account, it does not show up on the basic income statement which is a huge pain. I end up having to track it myself. That would probably be my biggest complaint.

It is helpful when it comes to accounting issues with properties

Buildium review by User in Executive Office
User in Executive Office

"Simple yet Thorough"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity. Easy to use, well-organized, all processes flows smoothly.

What do you dislike?

I've yet to have any issues with the program.

Property management for 20 rentals. Looking to use Buildium to increase properties handled by 100%.

"Property manager"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to browse through the system

What do you dislike?

Tenants cannot see the attachments added to the charges on their account

Tenant online portal makes it easier for them review their account

Buildium review by Kathleen M.
Kathleen M.

"Awesome Product "

What do you like best?

Everything is all in one please. Easy to learn how to use.

What do you dislike?

That the credit application expires. And doesn't save to the tenant section.

Recommendations to others considering the product

K

We are completely digital thanks to this product ]

Buildium review by Elizabeth Jaeschke d.
Elizabeth Jaeschke d.

"Great! "

What do you like best?

Simple and efficient. Homeowner like the portal for its ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to customize the front page and storage of documents

It is our operating system and we love it.

Administrator in Real Estate

"Still have some kinks to work out"

What do you like best?

The easy of searching for properties by name, owner or address. The information on the home page.

What do you dislike?

The different reports can be really hard to navigate when you are looking for someting specific. Some of the reports are hard to read. The renewal function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the support emails! They area fantastic and responds in a timely manner

Mainly the owner vs tenant financials. Delinquency.

"Always reliable"

What do you like best?

The fact that everything is all in one spot

What do you dislike?

The mobile app is very slow at times and makes it difficult to navigate.

Being able to communicate with tenants is really helpful.

Buildium review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"Property Management "

What do you like best?

I think this is good for someone who is starting out and wants to try to do it themselves without paying the fees.

What do you dislike?

It is good to start out but unless you know exactly what you're doing you could miss some things. It is good to try to hire a property manager and use this software so you can eventually get rid of the property manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak to a property manager and use the software together

We do full service property management and need software for that

"President"

What do you like best?

Cloud based. Easy to use. Always adding functionality. Best pricing.

What do you dislike?

A few quirks could use tweaking but no major dislikes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best priced software available.

online rent payments. cloud-based access. tenant/owner accounts.

Buildium review by Administrator

"Complete property management software"

What do you like best?

All in one product; tenant management, accounting, tasks, tenant and owner portals. Also collaboration with rental sites.

What do you dislike?

Mobile app not fully functional, some issues with vendor billing/credits

Tracking rent payments

"Easy-Easy-Easy!!"

What do you like best?

The customer service is always so helpful and patient, they do not make you feel rushed and stay on the phone until your query is answered. They even sent me written instructions in case I had the same issue again!

What do you dislike?

nothing at all - my experience was great

owner held security deposits

Learning about Buildium?

* We monitor all Buildium reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.