Butter CMS

4.7

Use ButterCMS as a headless CMS to build websites in any tech stack. Launch faster with less code.

Work for Butter CMS?

Learning about Butter CMS?

Butter CMS Reviews

Ask Butter CMS a Question
Showing 23 Butter CMS reviews
Butter CMS review by Todd D.
Todd D.

"Butter will save your butt"

What do you like best?

If you are doing a modern site or app (node, Angular, React, Vue etc) ButterCMS allows content to be updated without pushing a new build. It is your backend plus an easy interface that even marketing people can figure out.

Think of a field value, and Butter lets it be updated externally by others so you don't have to. All their stupid spelling mistakes and content updates can proceed 24/7 without you even knowing.

A huge huge benefit for s since we wanted to run an all-Angular shop from products to website.

Documentation is complete with clear examples.

What do you dislike?

This has all been fixed but at first the interface was difficult to understand. There was some jargon like "Workspaces" that took time to visualize.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

Everyone can access the site and update content without bothering engineering. They can push immediate updates that get our message out there instantly.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Butter CMS
Butter CMS review by Mario Jose V.
Mario Jose V.

"A Fast, Novel and Convenient Way to Manage Content in an Enterprise Website"

What do you like best?

The UI to manage content is very simple to use by Content Managers. Content Managers and Administrators can easily manage blog posts, content fields, page types, pages, media library and internationalization.

The ButterCMS support and engineering teams are great; they offered us a lot of help to support different requirements for our Customer, including the development of new improvements and features which was extremely useful for the success of the implementation project.

The API and documentation are very complete and easy to integrate from different programming languages, in our case we integrated ButterCMS into a Rails 5 application, and the experience for developers was very simple.

The performance and scalability of the API are great, we executed performance tests with more than 12.000 requests per minute, and the API worked without latency problems.

What do you dislike?

When we started to use ButterCMS there were some UI improvements Content Managers identified, however once we sent the improvement list to the Support Team, they implemented different improvements providing a great experience for us and our Customer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool/service to manage content for simple and complex websites.

We implemented ButterCMS on an Enterprise Website for one of our Customers that wanted to migrate from a commercial and traditional CMS solution. The website has a lot of pages with different templates, it is available in three languages, and it is deployed on Heroku Salesforce.

The main business benefits for the Customer are:

* Easy to manage content by Content Manager and Developers.

* Flexibility to model different types of content (products, services, pages, FAQs, terms and conditions, landing pages, etc.)

* Ability to configure fields for SEO and social networks.

* Agility and easy to integrate Content from different applications (web and mobile) using the API.

* Reduce the load time for pages, improving the user experience, improving SEO, increasing page views, and generating more leads for sales teams.

* Very easy to integrate for Heroku applications using the ButterCMS Add-on.

* Cost saving due to the ButterCMS takes care of all the infrastructure maintenance and operation.

What Headless CMS solution do you use?

Butter CMS review by Lisa D.
Lisa D.

"Easy to integrate into my WebBlog!"

What do you like best?

Using Blog Engine Class Objects is easy to integrate into my ASP.NET code. The documentation provided information about each class object and its attributes. In comparison to other headless CMS products I have tried to integrate with that used complex JSON structures, this one was the most simplest. I created the site and integrated it with the CMS in less than a day.

What do you dislike?

Pricing for non-personal sites is high. However, if you are building for a personal site, contact their sales team and they will grant you access to a personal plan for free, with a few links on your site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best source of information was found here: https://github.com/buttercms/buttercms-csharp#postsresponse-class

However, if you aren't familiar with MVC, you can still integrate using the Class Objects found on this page using ASP.NET.

For a simply blog, it provides a easy to integrate tool for the developer, and an editorial tool that is not as complicated for the author. I have worked with individuals that are looking for a simply interface to enter content without a huge learning curve. ButterCMS provides this. I use ASP.NET to integrate the content into my web template, so all I had to do was load the reference, call the appropriate class object and match up the attributes. There was even an IEnumerable interface that fed into a DataTable to connect to my data-type controls. I had to create a blog for my Master's thesis project, and was able to do it within a few hours.

Butter CMS review by Lee C.
Lee C.

"Exceptionally easy to setup"

What do you like best?

I work as a senior developer for a digital agency and have trialled many different CMS, especially headless CMS recently. Of them all ButterCMS was - by a long margin - the easiest to get up and running with. It took me just under 6 hours from start to finish to build my blogging site (using .NET Core 2.0 MVC), including the time to register for hosting and write my first blog.

What do you dislike?

The wysiwyg editor could be better. I'd personally prefer a markdown option. Overall though, it provides everything needed for a blog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider your use-case and requirements carefully before choosing any provider - but I highly recommend Butter CMS

Speed of development has to be #1. No more fighting with silly ID's or spending hours trying to figure out how to make routing work with odd identifiers. Butter CMS uses the url slug as the identifier which makes routing in my application a breeze.

Butter CMS review by Joe H.
Joe H.

"Meets All of Our Content Needs!"

What do you like best?

Customer service and support have been incredible from ButterCMS. Seriously it is so nice to see someone care about their product so much!

What do you dislike?

Whats not to like? I have enjoyed nearly every element of ButterCMS. It does take a little time to get used to the concept of a headless CMS but beyond that, there is nothing not to love about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a chance! There is little it cant do. It is SO SIMPLE to use but powerful enough for most any project!

As a growing SaaS company that has multi-channel content needs nothing has made it easier than ButterCMS! Jake and team have created a dynamic, simple to use product. It is crazy simple to stand up content for any website in minutes! Better than this is their great customer support. I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to get my questions answered! That is something that you simply just don't get from other solutions.

Butter CMS review by Greg H.
Greg H.

"Finally, a blog platform that isn't hampered by conventions"

What do you like best?

Butter's power lies in it's simplicity.

The blog creation UI is simple and easy-to-use, without layer upon layer of nested menus to dig through. It makes it easy for my marketers to set up blogs and have confidence that they will pass along all SEO data and even their custom formatting.

As a front end developer, it's made my life so much easier! I was able to use their node module to pull in all of our blogs and build out static pages like magic! Plus, they use webhooks, so our site will do a new build when our marketers are done publishing their posts.

The documentation and support are really top-notch, as well!

What do you dislike?

I think the UI for blog creation is pretty basic, and could do with some upgrades.

Recommendations to others considering the product

ButterCMS is a fantastic service and their support is out of this world. If you're looking for a blog platform that is fast and lightweight, and allows you to use your data how you want, I think Butter is hard to pass over.

I use Butter to host and serve my company's blog data as JSON. Upon pulling my data using their API, I marry that data into a base blog-template and generate static files for each of my blog pages. This way I'm able to easily stand up all of my blog pages in the same format and they are all crawled for their individual SEO tags.

Butter CMS review by Lucas S.
Lucas S.

"Power/Fast/Easy - All in one!"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up, easy to work on, a lot of functionalities... and a GREAT customer service, always ready to help you in everything that you need.

What do you dislike?

The UI is really clean and easy to use, but I believe that a great feature would be a navigation using tabs, to better organize the pages that have a lot of fields.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it. Butter is a powerful application, and if you need assistance you will have a great customer experience.

We were developing a project in a brand new architeture (using Heroku platform and integrating with Salesforce) with a rails app, and Butter gave us an easy to integrate platform, which turned the process of managing content in the website from days to seconds.

Butter CMS review by Pratheesh K.
Pratheesh K.

"Best CMS on the market"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of Butter CMS is the part we like the most along with how quickly we were able to adapt it for our custom requirements.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike. It does exactly whats written on the tin and more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommended if you are looking for a fantastic headless CMS to power your applications. Amazing support as well.

Providing content for our realtime Travel Disruption Insurance product. We needed a headless CMS for storing content in multiple languages. ButterCMS was the best software we found.

The technical support from ButterCMS has been among the best we've encountered among all the service providers.

Butter CMS review by Karina C.
Karina C.

"So Easy to Customize to Meet Requirements"

What do you like best?

With some easy building blocks like collections, relationships, and basic content fields, you can make about content types that can fit any client. Super easy to use even easier to install. I used Rails to install a blog and their Custom Pages and Fields Their customer service is great. I always work late but they'll message me before 7am with any question I had the night before.

What do you dislike?

The image loader can be annoying sometimes, there's a lapse in UI since they're using a third party uploader.

I am able to build a website for my client that gives them the ability to easily update their own website and keep it organized.

Butter CMS review by Steve E.
Steve E.

"Very easy CMS back end to use"

What do you like best?

Coming from a Drupal background, setting up my content was very easy. Probably the easiest thing, though, was how easy it was to get my Vuejs app up and running. I just cloned their sample app, added my info in, implemented my custom Bulma template, and I was up and running.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. If I had to pick a nit, when in the UI, even when you are logged in, the main nav still shows the "Log In" link.

Launching my website with a Vuejs front end, this provided me with a simple-to-use back end for my data.

Butter CMS review by David V.
David V.

"Just like butter, but better."

What do you like best?

Simple to config, easy to use. The doc is very clear and the api very fast. I think this is the most easy api I had to use for the past three years and I'm going to tell everyone to use it when they want to create a simple blog application even a complex one. The filter you can use on every call is just sugar in the mouth. Just perfect for me.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can ask is to provide filters to retrieve tags (like page_size) and maybe a feature who can tell you the most views articles.

- Support next format of img like .webp with jpg fallback (ex).

I can create a blog using a simple API without coding any back-end stuff.

Butter CMS review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Served as the right tool for blogging without any content management woes."

What do you like best?

The detailed documentation that gets any project up and running within no time is the best aspect of butter.

Also the content updates in seconds right after you hit publish, so that you don't need to wait for your project to build.

What do you dislike?

Butter is best for managing content for blogs & static informative website. It will be good to have dynamic data feature which updates in butter itself based on user inputs.

The biggest benefit is that you don't need to spend days setting up a database, spending the rxtra dimes on it as well as spending extra time on content creation.

Butter manages all your data and lets you create content on the fly. It adds value to startups & medium sized business as they might not always have enough staff & budget to do all that.

Butter CMS review by Jason A.
Jason A.

"A Great Blog Engine for a Rails App"

What do you like best?

Butter was extremely easy to set up and integrate into my existing rails app. Once I installed the gem and got it configured (a 10 minute process), the blog just appeared at mysite.com/blog.

Once I started using it, I was also happy to see that it was intuitive and easy to write and publish/unpublish posts as needed.

What do you dislike?

The interface for writing the posts in-browser has some room for improvement, but since I started using Butter ~6 months ago I have already seen improvements on this front. I occasionally find that the format-bar pops up at inopportune moments and gets in the way.

The ability to position and move images is limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have questions, reach out to them. The founder is very responsive and willing to help!

I needed to add a blog to my rails app and did not require something nearly as robust as a full wordpress blog. Butter made it easy (and affordable) to set it up and maintain it with minimal effort, allowing me to focus on developing my own app and writing blog posts.

Butter CMS review by Greg B.
Greg B.

"Easy and smooth - I guess that's why they call it Butter"

What do you like best?

It's easy for my developer to set up, and easy for me to have all of the control I need with formatting, SEO, content, etc. I'm able to keep the look and feel of our site, all without having to deal with Wordpress or subdomains which kill SEO.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to have a UI for the blog template page for common changes I want to propagate across all blog pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It's so easy to set up. We spent 5+ hours scouring the internet for a plugin solution that wouldn't have been half as good as this.

We're providing content for those looking to travel to Cuba, particularly Americans who are looking for information and perhaps someone to plan their trip. We've realized having control over the content empowers us to tweak SEO in order to be found, and update content easily and cheaply.

Butter CMS review by Dillon B.
Dillon B.

"Best thing since sliced bread... Buttered bread"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it was to add ButterCMS into my existing Rails application without a hassle. The trial period is perfect for testing the waters. The support is exceptional.

What do you dislike?

Being such a small non-profit and only using Butter's capabilities for a small subset of our business. I wish there were cheaper options. Even a discounted product adds up. I wish there was an option for snippets rather than full pages.

We have certain pages on our website that will be updated by other-than-IT personnel. Butter makes it easy for them to add content.

Butter CMS review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Fast way to add content to a site without distracting the engineers."

What do you like best?

Easy to install for the engineers and easy to use for the marketing team. Once the gem was installed, I was able to start transferring old blog posts to this new CMS. The pages looked way better since the css matched the site and page views have increased more than 5 fold.

What do you dislike?

More friendly UI for typing posts and configuring the page. Commonly used templates would be awesome. While these are nice to haves, the team has been very responsive with requests.

Our old blog was buried on the bottom of our site and linked to Tumblr. Needless to say, we weren't getting the traffic we were looking for and didn't show up in search for key terms around our business. We installed the Butter gem and within a few days saw immediate results as more page views started to roll in.

As we continued to add posts, we suggested features to the Butter team and were pleasantly surprised when they responded quickly with product updates integrating our requests.

Now that blogging is easier with this gem, we have produced more content, increased page views, and converted more leads to sales.

Butter CMS review by Wenzhe G.
Wenzhe G.

"Great alternative for moving off wordpress"

What do you like best?

Maintain control over look and feel, nav functionality. Let content writers focus just on producing content. Easy documentation. Responsive support.

What do you dislike?

Could be more pages included in basic plan.

Get rid of separate, wordpress hosted site. Incorporate content marketing directly on main property and not reinvent the wheel.

Butter CMS review by Yuliya Y.
Yuliya Y.

"CMS Butter API"

What do you like best?

ButterCMS has a very easy set up and a good documentation.

What do you dislike?

Would be good to have an ability to POST

Easy access to information from a client's side. Instead of using CMS that require PHP, this one was very convenient for use in React. I wish it had an ability to send information back (POST, PUT etc), but I guess Butter CMS is still growing. Good luck with your service!

Butter CMS review by Bruce A.
Bruce A.

"Solid blog platform"

What do you like best?

This makes adding our blog platform to https://www.printavo.com/blog very easy. It's been a nightmare before we discovered ButterCMS getting the routes setup we the way we want.

What do you dislike?

The editor could be a bit better but it's improving.

Butter allows us to have the URL routes for the best SEO potential possible

Butter CMS review by Eric G.
Eric G.

"Butter is my go-to in-app blog platform"

What do you like best?

Whenever I need a blog, I reach for Butter. It has the 80% of functionality that people want, and the other 20% is coming along nicely - they are quite responsive to feature requests. For example, I asked them to add code formatting and it happened within a month. You can build the CMS into your application visually so, from a front-end perspective, there is no differentiation possible between your content and your app.

No-brainer.

What do you dislike?

If they could provide a better visual blog editor, that would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it.

An in-app blog. It 100% satisfies that.

Butter CMS review by Sara E.
Sara E.

"Great for Bloggers Looking to Improve on SEO!"

What do you like best?

Butter has a seamless and simple interface that's very intuitive to work with. It's been a lot easier to optimize posts for SEO as well. Not to mention, the team is extremely helpful and very quick to respond to any difficulties you may come across when using the software!

What do you dislike?

If anything, I'd love to be able to put captions under my photos but I know they're working on including that as well.

We're solving for SEO optimization and a quick and seamless formatting process with our blog content. Butter has been great for both!

Butter CMS review by Administrator in Gambling & Casinos
Administrator in Gambling & Casinos

"Good product"

What do you like best?

Agile support, able to meet the ongoing requirements of our business.

What do you dislike?

Seems to be a little underdeveloped as a product, but I'm sure they will improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate to ask the staff for upgrades/innovations.

Permissioned access and streamlining efficiency to remove workload off of developers.

Butter CMS review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Nice embeddable blog service for your website/product/app"

What do you like best?

Once we got things set up, which is relatively easy, you can publish posts through a GUI directly to your domain without having to make a pull request.

What do you dislike?

- The UI is relatively simple, but could use polish in places.

- our blog is now in a subdirectory instead of a subdomain

- the above can be accomplished while allowing non-technical people to publish content

- don't have to mix application/product code updates with content updates.

- built in SEO features

Learning about Butter CMS?

* We monitor all Butter CMS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.