Camtasia

More than a simple screen recorder, Camtasia gives you the tools you need to truly customize and edit your videos.

Work for Camtasia?

Learning about Camtasia?

Camtasia Reviews

Ask Camtasia a Question
Showing 269 Camtasia reviews
Camtasia review by Phil A.
Phil A.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Camtasia
Camtasia review by Tom M.
Tom M.

"Great product that is easy to use"

What do you like best?

Camtasia is a really easy product to use. I love it and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to capture and record their computer screens. I use it to record demonstrations, presentations etc.

I like the fact that you can chop out sections of the video and splice the joins together to easily remove coughs and ums and ahhs etc - something most presenters have difficulty with.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot to dislike, if anything. The only option I would like to see is the ability to integrate in your webcam to have a presenter video running over the top of the screen.

I haven't come across any issues with the software. It simply works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend a little bit of time reading through the manual etc. It has a lot of tips and tricks that will speed up your recordings. Depending on how long the video is, it may take more time than you think to process and convert the video.

We do a lot of training videos and Camtasia is a really easy tool to set up and use. The Camtasia menu system is super easy and you can record your videos into any format from Mp3/Mp4 to AVI etc.

What Screen and Video Capture solution do you use?

Camtasia review by Eduardo P.
Eduardo P.

"The best user-friendly editing software"

What do you like best?

I've been using Camtasia for years and I'm quite sure it's one of the best programs for video editing. While it's not for proffesional use and I wouldn't recommed it for, for example, making a shortfilm; for those who need little promocional or instructive videos for their company it's the best option. It's best point is that it's very easy to get used to it. Its features are really visual and absolutly not complicated, but don't think this will limit your possibilties: with Camtasia, you can do a lot of things. Other shabby and unprofessional programs such as Movie Maker have nothing to do with Camtasia (don't get me wrong, Movie Maker is still a good choice for your familiar memories).

What do you dislike?

As I said before, after using this program for long time, I realised that its crashes and other errors are unfortunely more common than I would like. While this kind of problems have been mostly eliminated with the latest versions, it's something you must keep in mind: don't forget to save your projects every so often so you don't lose all your work (Camtasia 9 has an auto-saving funtuonality that doesn't work really well).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get along with just the basic features that are commonly shown of YouTube tutorials are every knows. You won't surprise anyone with that. Instead, my recommendation it's that you should take your time to explore what you can do with Camtasia and let your imagination fly.

We used to offer in-person educational speechs to instruct our new clients, but we realised that it wasn't efficient (costs were too high and that resulted in lost attendance). Finally, we took the decision to create an online training platform. To do so, we needed to split former speechs that lasted several hours into short and easy to understand videos. Thanks to Camtasia, we could do this and also, add a couple of effects that made our videos more attractive and understandable to the customers.

Camtasia review by Deborah M.
Deborah M.

"Camtasia best video and audio software out there. "

What do you like best?

I use Camtasia to produce videos for our sales team to provide a visual demonstration of the type of services and solutions we can offer a client. It allows us to give the client an idea of the automated intelligence and personalization that we can develop in an application without having to build the application into operation. insert and then use the icon to cut. There are layers that you can work with, too. In other words, if you have several presentations of which you want to use portions in a single presentation, you can load them all and cut the pieces of each and join them. It's really simple and fast.

What do you dislike?

I think that Camtasia should offer a kind of virtual tour of its characteristics that demonstrates everything it can do in the program and how to use it. Camtasia could also improve its help section or add a how-to section to help users get the most out of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ideal for videos that do not require much animation of objects. It works well for a simpler animation I really like it because of the work I do. It allows me to capture work demonstrations and then call the functions of the application.

One of the main reasons to use Camtasia is to create product tours and summary videos. This allows us to easily show what is the characteristic, the capabilities and the value it brings to our customers. Then, we use these videos as training material, sales enablement materials and for marketing events. Camtasia is used throughout our organization. Anyone who is not a professional video editor, but who is looking for an economical and intuitive video editing tool, should try Camtasia.

Camtasia review by Shinn C.
Shinn C.

"Easy to use video editing tool that's great for beginner and intermediate video editors"

What do you like best?

Camtasia has a very simple user interface. You can jump right into the product and create or edit a video without any training. Basic functionality for turning slide decks into a video is very simple. Adding in basic transitions, zooming in, written comments, narrations, and video effects is straightforward.

What do you dislike?

I've used Camtasia on both a PC and Mac, there seems to be a discrepancy between the two versions, so there's a bit learning needed. There also seems to be random paid updates that are rolled out that aren't communicated well. I've experienced some bugginess around exporting projects to MP4 formats. It works fine sometimes, other times the file output results in an empty file. The biggest shortcoming is around the video quality or conversion quality. The quality seems to be lower than Apple iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is a great tool for people who aren't power video editors and may find more professional tools intimidating and confusing to use.

I use Camtasia primarily to create videos from slide decks and edit raw video recordings to create crisp customer facing recordings.

Camtasia review by Jayson G.
Jayson G.

"Very easy to use and straight-forward video editing tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like about Camtasia is how easy it is to edit videos and create slideshow videos with my photos. It is like the built-in Windows video editor but in a better scale. I like that they added additional features that you can only find in a full-blown editing software like in a studio. With Camtasia, I can create my screenshares and edit it seamlessly. I create tutorials most of the time for team, and I like how they integrate the screensharing platform with the editing software. From screensharing, I can readily edit and add annotations and additional images for presentation purposes. I also like the audio correction tool, and how it enhances your voice overs.

What do you dislike?

Camtasia is everything you may ask for a video editing software. Probably they can add more transition effects and a marketplace for media add-ons for people loyal to Camtasia to select from. But aside from it, I have nothing against to say with Camtasia, since they made it a great software and the team made a fantastic job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I totally recommend people to use Camtasia for their video editing needs. They have a quality team that improves their software every new update is released.

A lot actually. I professionally make video tutorials, and the last thing I need is an incomplete tutorial or inaudible one. Camtasia has a lot of features like sound correction, which reduces the background noise and enhances the audio quality so the video can be more appealing to the viewing public. It makes my job as a video tutorial maker easier to do.

Camtasia review by Jeffrey L.
Jeffrey L.

"Excellent choice of software. . .especially for beginners and for experienced users"

What do you like best?

I like that it combines the ability to edit and produce a quality product for our clients that looks professional.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I don't like, yet, but I'm still looking. So far, it's perfect for our office.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a relatively easy to use and fairly inexpensive way to go for your Windows-based software, I would invite you to take a look at Camtasia. I have found that it is wonderful and I personally have recommended it to colleagues over the course of the past year and would continue to recommend it today and tomorrow.

The business problems I am solving with Camtasia is being able to market our firm in the best ways possible through producing client-specific videos on DVD. The benefits are enormous! We are connecting with our clients in the best of ways which allows us the ability to maintain our current client base and receive new prospects because of word of mouth and recommendations from our clients.

Camtasia review by Ginny C.
Ginny C.

"Super Robust for a "Non-Professional" Video Editing Software"

What do you like best?

I learned how to edit videos using Camtasia, and they made that easy with their excellent technical support and demo videos. Now that I somewhat know what I'm doing, I really like the logical way they have set up the functionality. I have gotten rave reviews for the videos I've produced with Camtasia and I really feel like they made me look good, because I'm not a professional editor at all.

What do you dislike?

It's kind of clunky to adjust timing of clips, having to constantly zoom in and out to be able to select whole chunks of the video. There may be an easier way, I just don't know it. Also, I wish they offered more pre-done animations. They gave us a holiday gift of a ton of awesome animated backgrounds and intros, but they are hard to edit and use. I have to revert to using an online animation program, downloading into a MP4, then importing into Camtasia. Definitely not the most efficient way to work.

Marketing materials need to be in video format for people to consume them - no one reads anymore. So being able to quickly and easily create and edit videos myself is super important, and Camtasia allows me to do that. Much cheaper than hiring a video editor!

Camtasia review by Joe B.
Joe B.

"Professional Looking Videos"

What do you like best?

There are several features that Camtasia has that make it stand out. My favorite thing is the output - the final product is awesome and the videos look like they were professionally developed. My favorite feature is the ability to highlight and magnify things in the video. This feature has been extremely handly because it allows us to highlight important parts of a video that we want to stand out and for people to pay attention to. I also like that you can record sound for a video right from Camtasia. Camtasia also offers great sound editing capabilities. It allows you to work with the sound to make it exactly what you want. You can make it louder or softer and cut out any static or background noises - a feature that has proven convenient many times.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Camtasia doesn't offer features that allow you to create or product a more interactive video. The only thing that I have found lacking in Camtasia is being able to incorporate a question and answer tool in my videos. Many of the videos I create at my company are for training purposes and question and answers are important for this type of training video. I would like it if there was a way to pause the video and have questions appear that allow users to actually answer the questions. This in my opinion would make Camtasia perfect and meet all of my companies needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia because it offers just about every feature you would need to product professional videos. It is also convenient because it is compatible with so many programs. For example, it is compatible with PowerPoint so, you can import a PowerPoint presentation in to Camtasia providing you a good base for a video. Camtasia is also compatible with SnagIt so, you can record how to videos with SnagIt and with the click of a button import it to Camtasia. Camtasia also offers a ton of how to and training videos that help you to learn the product in order to get the most out of its features.

Camtasia allows my company to save a ton of money by making it possible for us to product videos in house. Before using Camtasia, we would have to hire a company to produce our videos and this cost a ton of money and a lot of time. We would have to work closely with our third party vendor in order to get the final video product to meet our company standards. Camtasia allows us to do it all in house which ensures company standards are met the first time. It also makes it a lot more inexpensive to be able to create the videos ourselves.

Camtasia review by Brisia S.
Brisia S.

"Camtasia for Webinar Recordings"

What do you like best?

I typically use camtasia to record virtual presentations. I like that when you are pointing to something on the screen within the presentation, you can set it to detect that and it will zoom in to what you are talking about. I also really enjoy the cursor call outs feature.

What do you dislike?

I find it a little bit difficult to use. It is definitely not that user friendly for someone who does not have much experience with those types of software. I do however, take advantage of their online training. If you go to their website, they have a few resources to learn more about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not have experience, they do offer online training so I would take advantage of that. I also highly recommend using the cursor call outs feature.

I record product presentations and virtual training for my company and then share them online for our clients to easily access. This is very important to our company. We need a product that we can easily share online. Camtasia is that product for us.

Camtasia review by Brigitte Y.
Brigitte Y.

"Affordable Editing Tool for Marketing Videos and Social Video "

What do you like best?

Camtasia is available on both Mac and Windows. The platform is affordable. The Camtasia can be incorporated into your into PowerPoint.TechSmith has a great online community of users.The simplicity of the editing tool is refreshing

I originally used the product to develop online courses for Udemy. The platform was very easy to use and trying to learn another editing platform would have taken too much time. I have noticed over the years that it has become the go-to editing tool for many YouTubers and for Udemy instructors who create screencast and online courses. What I appreciate the most about the editing platform are the shapes and the cursor callouts where you can point to objects and text. I like that you can easily upload it and have different storage options and you have several ways to publish it. Another advantage are the quizzes that you can incorporate into the video.

What do you dislike?

The Camtasia editing tool isn’t necessarily a robust editing platform, the special effects are quite limited, and the transitions aren't really smooth at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you start using Camtasia, visit the Youtube channel to watch the quick tutorials, and read the blog posts. Once you do that you should be good to go.

I originally used the product to develop online courses for Udemy. The platform was very easy to use. Most recently, I have used it in a corporate setting to create short one minute videos to introduce a selection of taped events for an online professional development platform. These videos were intended for internal training at a nonprofit organization. It was an upgrade from using PowerPoint and Windows Movie Maker because it offered more tools for transitions and titles.

Camtasia review by Rishabh M.
Rishabh M.

"Useful & Creative software for screen casting & video editing"

What do you like best?

The best software for those who want to do screen casing & professional recordings. you can easily create or edit Professional Videos & Screencasts using Camtasi. Capturing the action on your computer's display and converting it into a video file is the best function of Camtasia. You can choose to record your entire screen or a specific region or a window or a application. Additionally, Camtasia can also record your face using your computer's webcam.

What do you dislike?

It does not support exported libraries from other systems as it recommends original paths for exported media. Also you can't schedule an automatic recording without digging deep into the system files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software for screencasting & video editing.

We are making video tutorials for our products using Camtasia. We found it really useful & beneficial for making more professional video tutorials.

Camtasia review by Brenda M.
Brenda M.

"All in one recording and editing tool. Would recommend!"

What do you like best?

Intuitive interface. easy to use! I'm not a video pro but I found it easy.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. I'm a new user for Camtasia but experienced with light video editing tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

buy the full version to get the full capabilities and remove their watermark. This is a must for any professional marketer consultant like me. I'd also recommend watching their tutorial videos. Camtasia was recommended to me by a well respected colleague so I didn't do much shopping around. I was going to go with the trial for a month, but I was immediately impressed with their navigation and features so I decided to upgrade the same day I signed up for the free trial. Looking forward to learning more about this tool for my video production needs.

Shorten the production time and find a tool that lets me do desktop videotaping (how to of LinkedIn videos)

Camtasia review by Kristine T.
Kristine T.

"My Favorite Program"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Camtasia is how you can edit both sound and video separately from each other and get a professional final product. For example, if you have a video file that has no sound, you can use Camtasia to add sound. Sound can be imported or can be recorded directly from Camtasia! Another one of my favorite things about Camtasia is how compatible it is with PowerPoint. It is so easy to transfer a PowerPoint presentation to Camtasia and turn the PowerPoint into a professional video. I have made so many great products with Camtasia. It has so many professional features that allow you to do almost anything that you can imagine with a project.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Camtasia almost always takes an extremely long time to load. Therefore, using

Camtasia can be even more time consuming than necessary. The program also takes up a lot of space on my computer hard drive. I also dislike that - unless you have had training or are an experienced user - Camtasia is difficult for the average person to be able to use and get the most out of its features. Camtasia has so many incredible features that the average user wouldn't ever be able to take advantage of because of the programs complexity and lack of instruction or help section.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Camtasia for any business/person that creates videos. While the program can be complex, it offers every feature that I have ever wanted when producing a project. From sound effects and inserting text and shapes to blurring out or focusing in on portions of the video, Camtasia just has it all. I do recommend spending time to learn about Camtasia and all of its features in order for you to be able to get the most out of what it has to offer.

Camtasia has allowed us to produce very professional videos. Before Camtasia, we would have to hire an outside company in order to produce are videos. We would have to work very close with the third party vendor in order to get the final product that met our expectations. Now that we have Camtasia and are able to develop our videos in house, so much time and money has been and will continue to be saved.

Camtasia review by Jaclyn M.
Jaclyn M.

"Record Screencasts and Edit Any Kind of Videos"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Camtasia has 2 main functions. It can record screencasts, but can also be used as an editor, for just about any kind of video, including ones that were made with other software/devices. I also like the timeline layout, allowing you to easily see how the parts of the video fit together, add transitions and captions, etc.

What do you dislike?

This software uses up a lot of resources on a computer. When editing, there is usually a lag that makes the video look choppy when you are trying to look at the edits you've made. So sometimes you might not catch that a transition wasn't smooth or that the audio/video are slightly out of sync until you've already saved the final video and watched it in some other software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may find additional uses for Camtasia beyond what you bought it for. You can record screencasts, edit other videos, and even make videos in other ways. It has a plugin that works with PowerPoint to create videos (with narration) from your slides. Or you can use any presentation software, and just record the screen while you run it, to turn it into a video.

Camtasia gives us the ability to edit videos taken with a camcorder, combine different parts of footage or re-order it, add opening/closing titles, and add captions or overlaid images as needed. It has allowed us to add much more content to our YouTube channel.

Camtasia review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"Simple but pretty powerful"

What do you like best?

Easy to create very polished videos – the interface is simple but pretty intuitive and you can actually build some pretty incredible looking stuff with it. We use it in-house to build training videos as well as edit down podcasts and webinars that we hold. We also have used it to build videos to demonstrate our product. Anyone can sit down and start putting videos together pretty intuitively.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have a lot of advanced features and sometimes the interface is plain clunky. For example, clicking the wrong spot will have it creating markers instead of extending a clip, etc. Live frame-by-frame previewing of clips is not possible by just hovering over the clip which is a pretty standard video editing tool in most things but... eh. It's just beyond the scope of this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need advanced video editing features, I would suggest going with something beefier. Camtasia is great for simple stuff like video presentations, video blogs and youtubing. Anything more advanced like real cinematography and such is beyond the scope of this editor.

Ability to create short videos with professional editing in a clean interface.

Camtasia review by Mike S.
Mike S.

"Amazing Way to Create Professional Videos"

What do you like best?

I like that Camtasia can be used for creating all types of videos - from simple videos to complex videos and that all people can use the program - from beginners to experts who need more integrated, enhanced features. Camtasia has the basic features that one would need to produce a video and offers more technical options for those people who really want to spend time developing a video.

My favorite thing about Camtasia is its compatibility with PowerPoint. I'm able to create a slideshow in PowerPoint and export it to Camtasia to convert it to a video format with ease. This has been a good, helpful thing for my company as we are always creating presentations first in PowerPoint that need to be converted to video with some enhancements made and sound added. Camtasia allows us to do all of this in house.

What do you dislike?

Since Camtasia offers so many enhanced and advanced features, it can appear quite intimidating to those users who aren't familiar with the program. For me, this is a downfall because it takes time to train new employees or users on how to use the program. I think that Camtasia should offer a type of virtual tour of its features that demonstrates all that you can do in the program and how to use it. Camtasia could also improve its help section or add a "how to" section in order to help users get the most out of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia for any company or business that creates any type of training or video. Camtasia offers features that are advanced, allowing you to develop professional material that reflects your company standards. With Camtasia, you will no longer have to rely on a third party to create professional videos. Camtasia is also great because it is compatible with PowerPoint and offers SCORM capabilities. It even allows you to add closed caption to your videos. It is a good product that I would recommend for all video purposes.

Camtasia has been beneficial for us because it allows us to develop our videos in house and therefor customize them to our exact specifications. We no longer have to depend on outsourcing to create our videos that can be detailed and require frequent updates and adjustments. This has saved my company a considerable amount of money while ensuring that we can make those updates when they are needed without having to go through the channels of depending on and waiting on an external source to work with us to make any changes.

Camtasia review by Nghi N.
Nghi N.

"The Best Video Editor"

What do you like best?

I use both Camtasia and Adobe Premiere. As someone who is not the expert when it comes to doing all the crazy stuff with Premiere, I prefer Camtasia because it has every single feature I need to work on my videos. When I turn on Premiere, I feel like I'm lost in the desert. Camtasia is for beginner and expert alike without having to stare at all the features of Premiere that you might never use in your life. Premiere is a much more powerful tool, but Camtasia is all that you need for your video production if you are just trying to put a video together fast and quickly while still getting some of the best features of Premiere.

What do you dislike?

I love Camtasia. I dislike nothing. I have used Camtasia since version 5, and the latest version is absolutely wonderful with all the new features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a video editor that'squick and fast, Camtasia is the best one I know. The price is not that bad either if you work for an educational institution. You can get a discount through the Education price. Version 9 has gone a long way since Version 5. I think Camtasia will be even better in the future as they add more features!

I work a lot with videos. I do editing and green screen. It's great to do everything I need with my videos. All the features are there without having to look all over.

Camtasia review by Luke A.
Luke A.

"Everything You Will Need to Create a Video"

What do you like best?

Camtasia has such a variety of features that I have yet to need one that it didn't have. It has the simple, basic features and enhanced, sophisticated features - this is why I enjoy it so much. The thing that I like the most about Camtasia is its compatibility with PowerPoint. As far as for what I need to create videos for - which is mostly for training purposes - Camtasia's compatibility with PowerPoint has proven most important. It allows me to develop a training using slides in a PowerPoint presentation and upload it to Camtasia with one click of a button. Once a PowerPoint presentation is uploaded to Camtasia, I'm able to turn it into a video, add sound and callouts - along with several other features.

What do you dislike?

I have yet to need a feature that Camtasia lacks with one exception - quizzes. It would prove to be very beneficial if I were able to incorporate interactive questions into a video in Camtasia. As far as for creating training videos - being able to insert interactive questions in a video would help to ensure the end user is following along, comprehending the information being provided and paying attention. The only other thing that I think could improve Camtasia is if it had an introductory, instructional video that detailed all of its features. Since it has so much to offer, I have noticed that many users don't get as much as they could out of the program simply because they don't realize all of the things that you can do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia for any company that creates any type of video. It is great because it is compatible with so many other programs like SnagIt and PowerPoint - making it easy to upload files from one program to another. Camtasia is also good because it allows you to record audio directly in Camtasia or upload audio from another program. Once you have the audio component, you can edit it directly from Camtasia - increasing or decreasing sound and background noise. Camtasia makes for a professional final product.

Camtasia has allowed us to keep the production of our training videos in house. Before Camtasia, we would have to constantly work with a third party vendor in order to develop these training videos. This not only took a lot of time but it cost a ton of money and in the end, the product was rarely exactly what we envisioned on the first attempt. We would have to constantly go back and forth with the vendor before getting a usable final product. It was basically a full time job just to work with a vendor to develop these videos. Now that we do it in house, it comes out right the first time and saves us a lot of stress and time.

Camtasia review by Jarem A.
Jarem A.

"Excellent Easy-to-Use Video Recording Software"

What do you like best?

Love how straight forward and easy it is to use Camtasia. You can get a lot done without having any extensive training or having spent tons of time using the product. It's very intuitive and simple to use. While there are more robust programs out there, it is very nice to have a program that, out of the box, is easy to use. Camtasia also provides great, easy-to-follow, tutorial videos online for those who need further explanation and walk through.

What do you dislike?

By nature of it's simplicity to use, it is not as robust as other programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anything in the software that would allow for faster exporting would be greatly appreciated.

Capturing screen recordings, then editing videos to add notations, visual and audio effects, and finally exporting out to a variety of locations. Love being able to record what's directly on my screen in a simple format.

Camtasia review by Jennifer P.
Jennifer P.

"Great Service"

What do you like best?

I like best that Camtasia offers such a wide variety of enhanced features. My favorite feature might be the Voice Narration. Voice Narration allows me to narrate my video right from the Camtasia platform. I also really like that I'm able to add, create or import closed captions to my videos. This is important to my company as we must comply with regulations that allow all users to have the same experience when viewing a video or training.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about Camtasia. If I had one complaint it would be loading time. Depending on the size of the file you are opening, Camtasia can take anywhere from five to ten minutes just to open. Another complaint would be the time that it takes to convert files to MP3 or MP4. Even if it is a smaller file, it can take up to an hour to convert.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend Camtasia to any company who creates any type of video or training as it provides enhanced features that basically allow you to do anything that you could imagine with a video. It is also great because it allows you to easily convert your final product to any file type that you need. It is also great because it works with PowerPoint - making it easy to convert PowerPoint presentations into enhanced video files.

Camtasia has allowed us to develop videos and training's in house, opposed to having to hire a vendor to create a product for us. Hiring and working with a vendor used to be extremely time consuming and expensive. It also meant that we had to go back and forth several times before the final product met our specifications. Camtasia has allowed us to create it all in house meaning that we have a final product that is exactly what we need and meets all specifications the first time. It has also saved a lot of money.

Camtasia review by Carole B.
Carole B.

"Everything I Need to Create a Professional Video"

What do you like best?

I like Camtasia more than any other video creating program I have ever used. I like most that it has many different features that you are capable of doing anything you need to do to a video. From adding sound editing sound to recording sound directly from Camtasia. From making clips and edits to combining sound and video. From adding photos and text to blurring out portions of the screen - I have yet to find something that I couldn't do with Camtasia. I like best that I can use this single program to do what use to take me two or three programs to complete.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I have found to dislike is that - unless you have training on how to use Camtasia or you have spent hours teaching yourself - you won't be able to get the most out of all of the features that Camtasia has. I have found that many users are only using the most basic tools and features that Camtasia offers simply because they aren't aware of all that the program can do. I think that a virtual tour of Camtasia and its features would really help to enhance the user experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia for all of your video creating needs. It is great because it offers a totally free trail - a trial that allows you to fully experience all that Camtasia has to offer. This is really good because you can get a feel for the program to see if it is something that will meet your needs. While Camtasia can be complicated because of its complex features, it is truly worth learning to use.

Camtasia has allowed us to create many of our videos and tutorials in house, opposed to having to hire and work with a third party vendor to develop and produce our videos. Not only has this saved us a lot of time that we don't have to work so closely to convey our vision to the vendor, but is has also saved a lot of money being able to develop our own vision without having to hire a vendor to do the job - a job that usually takes a vendor 40 hours plus per video to create.

Camtasia review by Jim S.
Jim S.

"Camtasia for casual, yet professional-looking vids"

What do you like best?

Provides a solution to easily create videos, with titles, fades, overlaying audio tracks, all within my budget.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike. I'm happy with everything I use it for. I use it maybe once a month, so it's easy to forget its capabilities, but pretty easy to rediscover them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have simple drag-and-drop requirements ... multiple video segments ... multiple audio segments ... then this product is really easy to use.

I can take video with my iPhone, bring it into a Camtasia project, overlay titles, build fades and dissolves, add (overlay) multiple audio tracks, narration, music (of my own), and output in format(s) suitable for playing directly or online. I make parallel audio recordings while shooting the video, then drop those tracks and slide them to match the video, and it all magically works.

Camtasia review by Jodie D.
Jodie D.

"User-friendly screencasting and video-editing"

What do you like best?

The application is easy-to-use and has all of the features I need in a program of this type. The screencasting is very easy and editing it after is not difficult. I feel like I am producing quality products with Camtasia.

What do you dislike?

I have not experienced anything that I do not like. The application functions as I want it to. I have had no issues running the program, editing or sharing videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is a tool by TechSmith that allows for great functionality. They have other video and screencasting solutions that are great, so it's obvious they know what they're doing. Camtasia combines screencasting with video editing, so the final screencasting product is as polished how-to video for your customers or users. Considering all of the available features (interactive hotspots, for example), the price is very reasonable. Users also get access to screencast.com for video-hosting.

I can share learning and information with others easily. I can anticipate users' questions and include them in the screencast and completed, edited video. I am serving people in a large geographical area, so I need to present professional development virtually. Camtasia provides that.

Camtasia review by Kate C.
Kate C.

"Great Tool for Editing and Producing Videos"

What do you like best?

I love Camtasia because it has features that allow me to do everything that I need to do, all in one place. I'm able to import a video - even a PowerPoint presentation - and make enhancements all using Camtasia. I like best that if I import a PowerPoint presentation or a video that doesn't have audio, I am able to import a separate audio file or record audio directly from Camtasia and add it to my video. I also love how easy it is to clip portions of video and/or audio files and seamlessly add them together to create the perfect final product.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I have found to dislike about Camtasia is that it isn't as user friendly as it could be. Camtasia has so many amazing features but the average user wouldn't be able to get the most out of the program unless they had some sort of training or spent time learning the program. A program like Camtasia that has so many features can be complex for the average person. I think the "help" portion of the program could be enhanced - possibly offering a virtual tour of the program would enhance the user experience and ensure user's get the most out of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Camtasia for anyone who is looking to create a professional final product. I recommend that users put time into learning about Camtasia and all of its features because it has so much to offer. Whether you have a video that you want to product and edit or if you want to record a video and work with it right in the Camtasia platform, this program will meet all of your needs.

Camtasia allows us to use one program to do what used to take several programs to accomplish. This saves us time and money since we only have to purchase a single program to create a professional final product. Camtasia allows us to record and edit video and sound, enhance video and sound and add features to recordings. If we have something on a recording that is private and we don't want visible, Camtasia has a feature that allows us to blur out a portion of the screen without having to delete a piece of the video. Camtasia also allows us to highlight pieces of recording and even add text and photos.

Camtasia review by Raymond S.
Raymond S.

"Excellent product"

What do you like best?

There are several things to like about Camtasia: 1) Very fast; 2) File sizes it produces are smaller than those produced with other products; 3) Very flexible, has numerous included features; 4) Easy to learn, short learning curve; 5) Low cost compared to some other products; 6) Cross platform, the same product looks and acts the same under Windows or macOS

What do you dislike?

Thus far we have not really found anything that we dislike about this product

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is an excellent value for the money it costs. Easy to learn to use, short learning curve, yet it has many features that are found only on more expensive products. For those who are just getting into producing video recordings, this product is a great way to get started.

We are able to quickly edit daily recordings of classes for uploading to cloud servers. Camtasia allows us to do this very efficiently, using lower cost computers than some of its competitors. We are also able to use this to create short training videos to demonstrate how to accomplish certain things.

Camtasia review by Carlota V.
Carlota V.

"I´m able to create powerful video recordings when I use Camtasia."

What do you like best?

I can say that I completely love how easy is to create video explanations and video classes when I´m using Camtasia Studio. It´s really as easy as opening the software, activating your microphone, having ready the slides or content you´ll be recording, and finally clicking on the button called “record your screen”, I think that recording and creating classes and explanations was never so easy!. Then, everything else becomes a piece of cake because you know that you´re using a super reliable tool that will help you export your videos in HD quality.

What do you dislike?

I hate that, very few times, the software has stopped recording when I´m in the middle of a long video presentation, this is really frustrating, especially when you´ve been recording for over an hour!. Another thing I greatly dislike about this software is that, a few times, the voice and video become a bit unsynchronized; this is very annoying, especially when you need high accuracy for the voice and images inside your videos. This happens when you produce long videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is a useful tool that will help you create videos for yourself and your audience. If you´re really thinking to get this software, I think it´s wise that you´re sure you have a modern computer with a great video card and at least 8 GB RAM MEMORY; otherwise, you´ll come across many issues and a lot of frustration when using Camtasia because the software will sometimes freeze and fail, and nobody wants that.

I can record my own videos to offer my own services and classes. I can also create and sell videos for my clients, in a very easy way. As everybody knows, every business needs a good quality video to get across their point to the world, and Camtasia is a great tool that will help you do exactly that: create a high quality video that will show the world you´re a quality business.

Camtasia review by Jill E.
Jill E.

"Camtasia has Everything I need to Edit a Video/Recording"

What do you like best?

I have to say that what I have found to be an extremely useful Camtasia feature is being able to edit and play around with the sound. If you have a recording that doesn't have sound, Camtasia allows you to easily combine it with a sound recording. If you have a recording that does have sound, Camtasia allows you to easily work with the sound to increase or decrease the pitch and volume, make cuts and adjustments. It is the best tool that I have found as far as being able to incorporate and work with sound in a video/recording. I also like how easy Camtasia makes it to delete, add and piece together clips within a recording. The final result is flawless - you aren't even able to tell the recording was edited. Camtasia helps you to create a very professional final product.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how complicated Camtasia is for the average person to learn. I had to take a training class before I was able to realize all of the benefits and features that Camtasia has to offer. This leads to many people not thinking too much of Camtasia because they just don't realize all that it can do. Since there are so many features, it can be complex and confusing for someone who isn't familiar with the software. I also believe that the help feature could be more detailed and instructional - better outlining Camtasia's features - for those who don't have the option to take a training course on how to use the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia for those who are willing to put the time in to learning a really great program. While it may take some time before you are able to learn how to get the most out of Camtasia and its features, it will be worth it and pay off in the long run when you're able to create professional, in-house videos without having to use a third party vendor.

Camtasia has allowed us to create our own videos and trainings in house - something that we previously had to hire a third party company in order to produce. This has not only saved us a lot on money, but also allows us to continuously make improvements and updates on our videos, something that was extremely difficult when going through an outside vendor. Camtasia has made creating videos a much more convenient task.

Camtasia review by Harry L.
Harry L.

"Wonderful Program for Creating and Editing Videos"

What do you like best?

I like that when it comes to both working with/designing/editing videos, Camtasia literally has everything that I could possibly need. From being able to record sound for a video right from Camtasia to add sound to a video to being able to import previously recorded videos to edit, I rely on Camtasia for all my video editing and developing needs. I like that I can easily and seemlessly combine multiple video clips to make a single video with smooth transitions. I also like how easy it is to cut videos in Camtasia. I'm easily able to remove any part of a video - picture or sound - that I don't need and seemlessly blend it together like nothing was ever clipped. Camtasia also has great options of adding on to video recordings - I'm able to highlight or blur out specific things in a clip and even add shapes and text to a recording.

What do you dislike?

Camtasia has so many great features and I have found that unless people have received training on how to use the program, many people miss out on its vast array of capabilities because they simply aren't aware of all Camtasia can do or because they don't know how to use the program. The help section of Camtasia doesn't really get in to as much detail as it should in order for users to get the most out of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Camtasia for anyone who creates or edits videos or recordings. The program really has everything that you would need for these purposes. It is compatible with other programs such as Snagit, which allows you to easily import anything captured using Snagit in order to edit or further develop recordings or captures in Camtasia. These two programs work really nicely together.

Camtasia has benefited our company a lot - especially because we deal with sensitive, personal information a lot of the time - being able to blur out specific things in a recording - something that similar programs don't offer - has proved to be a huge benefit and time saver. It used to take multiple programs to get the final result that we are now able to get using just Camtasia.

Camtasia review by Jamie D.
Jamie D.

"A Sleeper Hit for Video Editing"

What do you like best?

Full video editing solution. Known for screen capturing, but supports full video editing including green screen keying. Decreased learning curve compared to other professional editing tools. Great online training and support. Affordable pricing.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more transitions and templates. They have improved with Camtasia 9, so hopefully it continues in that direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia often gets overlooked when it comes to video editing - they are most known as a screen-recording solution. However, they offer many of the same tools you would find in a product like Premier Pro, with a lower learning curve, cost, and, at times, better quality.

With Camtasia 8 and 9, we have been able to bring several video projects in-house and save on professional fees. The output has been well received by our employees. We use it to create both screen-recordings for software training and training videos using green screens and professional lighting.

Camtasia review by Tiago V.
Tiago V.

"Simple yet Powerful"

What do you like best?

Its simple interface, the ability to narrate your videos within the program, the wide range of effects and annotations to choose from, it's perfect to make how-to or demonstration videos and the possibility to share your video directly to video platforms, such as Youtube.

What do you dislike?

Although it's possible to create a high-quality product, sometimes effects will not work, and such inconvenience can delay your project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At first, it seems that Camtasia is too simple compared to some giants in the industry but for most of the time, Camtasia it's the best option: it's simple, it's fast and has all the tools needed to create high-quality products. If you run a small channel online or need to make instructional videos, I recommend Camtasia.

Camtasia helps me create instructional videos related to graphic design.

Camtasia review by Lily E.
Lily E.

"Camtasia makes simple movies easy and complex movies possible"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Camtasia is that it is easy enough to use to just record a screen and audio, but as you needs get more complex you can continue to layer in features and functionality. Basic editing is really simple, just to clip part of the video out or add in a new recording. It also has enough features to make a polished finished final product.

What do you dislike?

The mac version is not as feature rich as the PC version and a lot of the documentation is aimed at the PC version, so occasionally you spend a bunch of time searching for a feature that doesn't exist. Their documentation seems really comprehensive, but it's not very searchable and it's hard to solve specific tasks, like say, adding a fade, without watching a whole tutorial. That said, it's pretty intuitive and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to other video editing tools out there, this is really worth the investment. I have used a number of the more inexpensive options and they really can't compare in terms of features. And my trials in the more expensive options have left me frustrated and confused. I was up and running with Camtasia in a day and within a few weeks had master a fair amount of advanced techniques.

For it's price point, it has enough power to make complex professional looking videos without a steep learning curve. It's also a one time license fee, so you are not paying a monthly subscription charge. If you are looking for a feature rich product to do everything short of cinema quality video production for a reasonable price, this is the product you should use.

Camtasia review by Michelle C.
Michelle C.

"Great for training videos"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the easy integration of features into my videos. Similar to building a PPT deck, I can add slides, text, images, transitions, etc. This allows me to easily build content with a similar theme. I also like the ability to split audio from video, adjust audio levels and clean up the audio for speed, tone, crackles. I often use the ability to cut video segments, multitrack layer and export to different video formats. This is a solid tool with an easy to use interface.

What do you dislike?

I've come across instances where the program will freeze when rendering the video or exporting. This doesn't happen often, it may just be on my Mac

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you buy a license it is tied to a single computer, the Camtasia support team was very helpful when I needed to switch the license to another computer

I create software tutorials using Camtasia, recording my screen and narrating with the additionan of slides, zoom-in and text

Camtasia review by T. Blane M.
T. Blane M.

"Easy to use but advanced features too"

What do you like best?

I like that the tool is easy and learn, which is good when you need to get something done in a hurry. As you work with it you will find advanced features, like transitions and overlays that add that professional touch. There is a tutorial for getting started, which is helpful for those not familiar with timeline programs.

What do you dislike?

At first you are faced with an empty project, so you have to add all of your assets to each project when you start.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Camtasia as a package that will do most everything you need, without the cost of a high end solution with many features that you will never use..

It is a great way to edit a webinar or other meeting capture and reusing it as a marketing content.

Camtasia review by User

"Easy-to-use Training Video Production Application"

What do you like best?

I have used Camtasia for several years and seen the application continually improve. My favorite feature would have to be how simple and intuitive it is to use. Only on the rare occasion do I have to look up how to do something, as I'm usually able to figure it out during regular use.

What do you dislike?

During video editing, it is sometimes difficult to get clips to line up together along the timeline. Additionally, there is a feature to snap the playhead to the start of a clip, but not the end of one. The functionality may exist, but I haven't figured it out or found the solution online up to this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a solid, inexpensive product that even will appeal to all sorts of individuals. While it is not as complex and feature-rich as a program such as Adobe Premiere Pro, I can produce high-quality videos that our Customers love. An added benefit is that I can produce them quickly and efficiently as well.

I use Camtasia primarily to produce training videos for our SaaS Customers. I have also used it to work on marketing and promotional materials. We have produced over 100 training videos ranging from 2 minutes to 15 minutes and have made them available to our Customers. These videos have been viewed over 1750 hours in the last 2 quarters, giving time back to our Implementation Consultants and providing a valuable self-help solution to our Customers.

Camtasia review by Will R.
Will R.

"Video Edit With Ease"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn and you are able to create your first project without much effort. You load the software and are on your way. Even without any experience in video editing you can quickly get started on your first project. The interface seems familiar and pretty much intuitive. And Techsmith (the software company that makes this product) offers great support via their web site. They provide a wealth of info/tools. They even provide audio clips that are royalty free. This feature adds depth to your videos and helps make your finish product more polished/professional.

What do you dislike?

This is more of a wish than a dislike - I wish there were more templates available. However, they offer so much on their web site, this counters any dislike I could think of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the cost of the software, there is great value. Techsmith offers great videos and articles to help you learn the product. They offer a lot of support for free on their web site. The product itself is quite easy to use right out the box. With a little time and effort, you can become adept at video editing.

I needed a quick way to produce training videos. Using Camtasia in conjunction with Snag It (also from Techsmith), I was able to become a prolific video producer. The best part is the quality of the videos.

Camtasia review by John C.
John C.

"Great simple tool to use"

What do you like best?

So camtasia is great for beginners who want to create screen captures or simple videos for like youtube or twitch. Anyone can pick it up without any previous experience.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike the program however because it is so simple to use for more advance videos that you may want to create utilizing green screen or 3D this won't work very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that this is a very simple program, if your goal is to create something advanced then I wouldn't recommend this. But if you are a beginner who is doing simple screen captures and videos I highly recommend this.

I used this both on the professional and personal level to create screen captures and simple videos when I am rushed.

Camtasia review by Susan F.
Susan F.

"Enough of a video editor for most uses."

What do you like best?

Simplicity for making simple sound edits. I also enjoy the quick ways to apply transitions and animations. Swapping out images and selecting text to edit is pretty simple too. I enjoy being able to quickly knock out audio versions and doing save-as of existing timelines for variations.

What do you dislike?

There are times I need more editing abilities for audio tracks. This is limited. Green screen option to drop out a color is difficult, but that could also be the quality of the green screen video I'm given to work with. Audio output options not intuitive - need to really know your required parameters to tweak and even then, sometimes it's not enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know WHERE you need to use your videos and audio files. Use a GOOD MIC and GOOD camera. I like Logitech's most current and I use a Yeti mic.

Training, training, training! I use this to quickly create how-tos for clients that want more control of their content, but have no idea how to do it. I can take them through specific tasks quickly with the screen capture - even add sound effects - buzzers and dings for when they do it right. They love the videos.

Camtasia review by Aaron W.
Aaron W.

"Camtasia is the best for training and creating quick and professional videos"

What do you like best?

I really like that Camtasia gives you some great tools (like transitions, animations, and text controls) to create videos that pop and are great for everything you could imagine. Whether you need to simply do a video edit of a multi-camera shoot or a screen capture for training purposes, Camtasia is the best way to go.

What do you dislike?

Camtasia is great for video editing but does lack full Audio Editing Tools (there are some basic tools). I know they are working on that, but that missing functionality, as well as an easy way to do Ken Burns effect (it is possible, but not as easy as it could be), are the ONLY things keeping this from a 10 out of 10 for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not only do they have a great product, they are asking their users for feedback to help improve even more. That shows me a company that cares about their customer and customer needs.

We use Camtasia to create tons of videos for training users of our products or video editing webinars that we do. It is an easy-to-use, cost-effective way to create awesome videos without little training.

Camtasia review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Easy to figure out and use"

What do you like best?

The features are super easy to self-learn and use. The tutorials are helpful and it was easy to get started developing content really quickly. It has a great toolbar, so you can use multiple screens easily and the final file creation is really just a button click.

What do you dislike?

For me, there are too many buttons! I just needed basic functionality and got a lot more than I needed. :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a shot! It's worth a few minutes to see how easy it is to create what you need.

We use it to create basic customer intro videos, so our customers get exposure to the basics of our software. Since it's so easy to create content, we've created multiple, shorter videos to help our customers launch quickly.

Camtasia review by Elizabeth B.
Elizabeth B.

"Very intuitive and easy to use. I got the hang of the software within a day of using it."

What do you like best?

I like how you can use the Zoom tools to work out kinks in your recordings. The real issues I have faced include my voices "catching" when I record and I am able to get rid of any strange breaths I take or hitches in my voice. I also love how easy the layers are, because it can be kind of hard to use layers (such as in Photoshop). Here, I feel it is very easy to understand the layer vs time conundrum that can get in the way of producing great products with other software. So, I find Camtasia very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how long it takes for the software to produce the mp4 I'm trying to publish. Sometimes it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. If I need to make a change, it becomes an ordeal to replace the old video where it could have been a 5 minute fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use this product when you are considering creating tutorial videos or podcasts. This software is very helpful and intuitive. You'll learn fast and be able to produce content immediately.

We are making tutorials for our customers. So we are able to use these videos as a quick and efficient way to walk our audiences through the steps of working with our software.

Camtasia review by James M.
James M.

"Incredible Value"

What do you like best?

Camtasia is extremely easy to learn and works very well for creating simple or moderately complex videos.

What do you dislike?

Not enough stock video and audio available. Can be a bit finicky at times when the computer runs low on memory or when processing larger files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and use the resources on their site - there are many great tutorials and information to help you learn to do some pretty crazy things with their product.

Create and edit professional videos to highlight how a business application works. You can use it for editing virtually any video but it's especially well designed for any software company to showcase how their software works.

We've created hundreds of videos with Camtasia through the years. The product keeps getting better and better with each release.

Videos have helped us to build our YouTube channel to over 100,000 views and we have proof that video is helping us sell very complex business software because prospects find the videos online and eventually register as a lead and convert to a customer.

Camtasia review by Jeffrey A.
Jeffrey A.

"Easy but Powerful Video Program"

What do you like best?

Camtasia offers a simple timeline and very intuitive tools. Editing, adding transitions and annotating your video is really easy to do. Get a little more advanced and you can add custom animations and special effects. Camtasia's main feature is screen capture, and it does this well. But I also use it as my main video editor.

What do you dislike?

Compared to other "prosumer" software, you do sacrifice a bit of power for simplicity with Camtasia. If you're into advanced video editing such as multiple cameras, b-roll footage, etc. you may want to consider a different program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is great for screencasting, and for simple video projects. Higher level video projects may need a more powerful program.

Camtasia is my go-to software for creating quick educational videos for content marketing. I also use it for creating tutorials for clients and for communicating with vendors about errors or glitches in software or SAAS applications.

Camtasia review by Catherine P.
Catherine P.

"Simple but quite powerful, a great video editor "

What do you like best?

You can generate the file that produces in various formats and has many functions to improve your work. The timeline function is an excellent resource to improve the quality of the result. It is very intuitive and simple to use. Although there are more robust programs, it is very good to have a program that, from the start, is easy to use. Camtasia also offers excellent tutorial videos, easy to follow, online for those who need more explanations and recommendations, voice Narration allows me to narrate my video directly from the Camtasia platform. I also really like that I can add, create or import subtitles to my videos.

What do you dislike?

The audio output options are not intuitive; they really need to know the parameters needed to modify and even then, sometimes it's not enough, i also believe that the help function could be more detailed and instructive, outlining the characteristics of Camtasia better, for those who do not have the option to take a training course on how to use the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is better than many other tools and it is quite versatile. Try it out and see how easy it is to use recommended 100%.

It has helped us keep track of projects and keep small details that might otherwise have been lost. we also use the function to blur confidential information, create subtitles and also have a standard template with titles and background music.

Camtasia review by User

"Great product with tons of abilities"

What do you like best?

Camtasia comes with great learning tools. The videos give a good explanation of how to get to the end goal. Since the program is known, there are even great tools outside of Camtasia itself.

What do you dislike?

Rendering videos tend to take a lot of time when making a longer video. Understandably, this is natural. The program will try to give you an estimated finished time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When updates come out, these will come free of charge. When a major update is released, Camtasia will offer a discounted rate to use the newest version.

We've been able to create content to help present and educate users about our own product. We've been able to create videos that look very sleek and very professional. We've realized that we could use Camtasia to not only create video tutorals, but we can also create context to demonstrate our product. We've created a line of videos to do both!

Camtasia review by User

"Nice Screen Capure and video creator"

What do you like best?

I like that the software gives you a lot of control over small time increments. I have worked with another video creator that only allowed for 1/4 second increments. That sounds small - until you want to make very fine point adjustments. But Camtasia allows you to be very granular in your adjustments

I also like that it is easy to capture a screen recording, and then do a voice narration over the top of it after the fact.

What do you dislike?

Would be nice if there were more free assets included, like a bunch of music options as well as sound effect options. But really - the features are good in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an easy way to create training videos that are primarily screen recordings with narration - this is a pretty easy tool to use, but still has lots of flexibility.

We have made a bunch of training videos and demonstration videos with the software. Also just recently created a promotional video as well.

Camtasia review by Rachel A.
Rachel A.

"Makes my job much easier!"

What do you like best?

I can record and edit screencasts so easily with this software! I can also easily edit imported video as well. I've found this software to be intuitive and regular updates keep it a frequently used tool for us. Customer service is fabulous. I've had a problem with my software licenses twice and TechSmith responded right away.

What do you dislike?

I dislike nothing about Camtasia--really!

My teachers and I create how-to and other videos for students and families. Annotating is very simple. We can create these videos very quickly, including minor and major editing. Exporting to Google Drive or YouTube is super simple and faster than expected. My teachers won't spend less time preparing for students in order to learn complicated software--Camtasia is perfect for us.

Camtasia review by EJ L.
EJ L.

"Make amazing videos with Camtasia"

What do you like best?

I love being able to quickly make videos I use for my eLearning projects. But that's not all I use it for! From helping capture ideas and game footage to helping me to express my clients ideas, I'm able to create a fraction of the time it takes for me to make these them in other software, such as After Effects and Premiere Pro.

What do you dislike?

While I really like the animations and the canned effects, I would really appreciate having more control of these effects. Would be nice to have an "Advanced Mode" that mirrored the power of After Effects but in a simple, easy-to-use manner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to make videos based off of capturing screen content, you can do no better than getting Camtasia. Highly recommend getting it's partner product, SnagIt.

I'm an instructional designer and developer who often works as a consultant to make videos and messages for my clients. I love Camtasia because of its ease of use.

Camtasia review by Eduardo E. O.
Eduardo E. O.

"Camtasia, best video editor and video capture for beginners."

What do you like best?

Easy to use and easy to learn, an excellent software for beginners in video production, the first time I use Camtasia in principle seems to be a bit confusing, but while you spend time it becomes easier, besides that I love the ability to work scorm files, which I use to do courses or tutorials, is a complete software that can help us solve problems quickly and without the need to have much knowledge about video production.

What do you dislike?

Actually there are not many things that I do not like about Camtasia but I do consider that there are some of them that could be improved, although it is a software that is easy to use because of the tools it contains, sometimes I would like to have some more advanced tools, perhaps an advanced version of Camtasia?

Recommendations to others considering the product

My best recommendation is that you try at the beginning with small things, create family videos or small things for your social networks, then without fear take all the benefit that you can from Camtasia. Do not be afraid to start in the video production, Camtasia helps us with several tutorials or tips during our apprenticeship process.

I have been able to solve tasks of short videos for social media, courses, tutorials, video captures.

As I said, Camtasia is a very reliable and easy to use software, there are many solutions that we can generate in many cases, but the truth is that Camtasia shines in solving problems quickly.

"Capture your contents"

What do you like best?

video editing options adding like captions, sound, mouse highlighter, pause recording feature, producing video as per user requirement, ease of the sharing the captured video, etc.

What do you dislike?

sometimes the quality of the video is not as its properties says (like 1080 quality), other than this I have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is a very good product to capture both still and video imaging. Easy to use from ootb.

Image & video editing features are really easy to use, all the features are self explanatory.

I would recommend camtasia for any organization or individual user in their daily work. One of the easiest product to use that I have come across so far.

Capture the reproduction of a bug and attach it to the bug report as a proof and also as a way of showing others how to reproduce the bug. The product itself is easy to use for any level of user.

Camtasia review by Victoria G.
Victoria G.

"Camtasia Review"

What do you like best?

I’m a long time SnagIt user, and I love that the products work together - you can record in SnagIt and edit in Camtasia. The latest version has more green screen functionality and audio editing abilities. It’s easier to use than other programs, with everything you need in one program. I really like the library and the media clips that are available, like animated intros and outros.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to conceal data in a video. And the bottom scroll bar often gets lost or blends in to the track listing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maximize your track lists when you can and if working with multiple monitors, detach your canvas. Makes editing much easier. Also, remove empty tracks by right-clicking in the track list. The near your track list area is kept, the easier it is to edit.

We use Camtasia to provide instruction on a statewide system for user that are very spread out. Getting everyone together for training is difficult, but with Camtasia I can easily create micro learnings for users to watch from their desk.

We may also use this for our HelpDesk - have the Help deak tech create a brief How To video to help users troubleshoot frequent issues.

Camtasia review by Matt C.
Matt C.

"Amazing software that is easy to learn and powerful"

What do you like best?

The user interface is simple and help tutorials on their website breaks everything down easily to learn what each button and section does

What do you dislike?

Only thing I wish they would add is a bit more customization to the transitions (for example adjust colours of fades, limited to fade through black)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software and when you purchase their license they also give you additional content such as music, additional wipes/transition files, etc. to use in any future edits.

Creating tutorials for clients to understand how to use our software on their computers. The benefits is how simple it is to create screen capture videos with highlighted cursors and edit everything all in one program.

Camtasia review by Patrick I.
Patrick I.

"Good video editing software, but not a fan of latest version"

What do you like best?

Has all the recording and editing tools you would need for simple, straightforward video productions. Supports a good variety of file formats with the option to share directly to Youtube for faster roll-out.

What do you dislike?

Upgraded to the latest version and suddenly Camtasia would not capture any sound from my headset mic. Have resorted to using GoToMeeting to record the raw video/audio file and using Camtasia for post-production. Latest version is also more of a resource hog than before. It hiccups while i'm editing a 5 minute video when previous versions used to handle 10+ minutes no problem.

Despite its problems Camtasia gives me a comprehensive set of recording and post-production tools that let me create basic instructional videos. I can record, edit, and release videos relatively quickly to keep training materials for our own product up-to-date.

Camtasia review by Matthew H.
Matthew H.

"Screencasting Made Easy"

What do you like best?

There are two things I absolutely love about Camtasia, the first is that it's easy. Everything is labeled well, and it's not overly complicated like many other video editing software. Granted, this is simpler largely because it is really more of a Screencasting Program than a proper video editing suite. That said, it can do everything you need it to (as long as you're keeping it simple). The second thing I enjoy is that it is fairly stable. I've used other editing software that would crash at the drop of a hat. While Camtasia isn't perfect, it crashed on me far less than some other (larger) competitors. It's just a lighter program, and doesn't have as high a demand on system memory when running. This is great, because there is no way my computer could handle a program like Premier.

What do you dislike?

My first dislike is the same as any video software. It crashes, and can destroy hours of work when it does. There is a recovery feature that helps, but it doesn't always work. As I said above, it crashes less than it's competitors. The other issue I have is that it can be difficult to get really granular with your edits. If you're a perfectionist I would be wary. Getting very precise cuts (down to the millisecond) is difficult at best. Again, though, this is due to the nature of the program being more for Screecasts and not proper video editing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend Camtasia, as long as you keep in mind that it is primarily for screencasts. I have a feeling there are a lot of companies overpaying for video editing software when they could easily get by with Camtasia. This does everything you need for general video editing, even beyond just screencasts. I use it to produce tutorials, and even marketing videos (customer testimonials).

Think about your business needs. Do you have a full time video person producing content? What is the level of that content?

We needed software that would allow for easy creation of tutorials. Camtasia has proven it's value far beyond that though. I have used to it create tutorials for clients, video material like testimonials, and we even record all our meetings with it. It's pretty amazing when you can set Camtasia at the beginning of a meeting, record for 3 hrs, then stop and save without issue. It has helped us keep track of projects, and save little details that might have been missed otherwise.

Camtasia review by Angela M.
Angela M.

"Easy to Use & Effective"

What do you like best?

Camtasia is easy to start using, pretty intuitive and a great tool for creating training videos. The timeline view of the video is awesome and creating professional looking videos is simple. There are several objects and tools within the application that you can use to direct attention to specific points of the video as well as zoom in and out. Sound manipulation and tailoring that is pretty cool. The software actually guides you in building your video. Most importantly, I love that you can select the screen or size of the area that you want to record so that I can easily only share the relevant parts of the screen without having to show personal pieces of information or having to try and blur them out or hide them after recording.

What do you dislike?

Unlike other training apps that I have used, the part of Camtasia that I don't like is that you cant easily add in quiz questions or tests as you can in others. The drag and drop functionality can be quirky but functions ok. The pricing has steadily increased and when compared to competing products and functionality, it's almost not as good of a selection. On my mac, I have experienced some issues with the application freezing. They could add more dynamic tools for adding content to the videos as well.

Camtasia is allowing me to solve the issue I've faced for years with being able to offer e-learning and training to my employees and customers. Using the application to build training videos has ensured that I'm providing consistent, relevant engaging training for my team. These videos live forever and make sharing the training really easy.

Camtasia review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Robust and Intuitive Video Screen Capture Tool"

What do you like best?

Camtasia is so simple to use and you can do so much with it. The interface is very straight forward and it is powerful enough to make a very robust video. The editing is quick and responsive and you do not need to read through a huge manual to figure it all out. Creating a professional looking training video literally takes just minutes.

What do you dislike?

Creating a clip library makes sense, but sometimes I want to quickly just drop something into place. While you can do that, it is not as straight forward as the rest of the tool. Overall, I do not have any strong dislikes of this product though!

We utilize Camtasia to create how-to documentation for software that we use. It is a tremendous training tool. Typically, we do a screen capture with voice overs and do call-outs. We also utilize the function to blur out sensitive information, create captions and also have a standard template with titles and background music.

Camtasia review by Daryl W.
Daryl W.

"One of the Most Powerful Video Editors & Screen Recorders! "

What do you like best?

I've been using Camtasia for years primarily to make videos showing my customers how to download and extract my products upon purchase. Camtasia allows me record my screen, my voice and add in video annotations, zooming, special effects and more.

I am a simple man and I love all-in-one products that work great. It is wonderful to be able to pull up Camtasia, record a section of my screen as well as my voice, take that clip and go to Camtasia's editor, edit and then render the project as a video file and even upload to YouTube or Social Media right from the program!

The available video formats I can export to are also great. My customer base is 90% Mac OS and 10% Windows OS. So I need to export to a video format that is 100% compatible with both of those operating systems right out of the box. And Camtasia allows me to do so.

The video editor is also very easy to use yet also very powerful. While it doesn't rival say Sony Vegas, it is very powerful in it's own way.

What do you dislike?

The sample rate and bit depth for audio recordings are locked at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit. This murders the audio quality for all of my voice recordings. I understand this is done to keeps project file sizes down to the very minimum as possible, but the audio quality is still awful. There are times that file size is not a concern for my projects, and having the ability to at least go to 48kHz, 24-bit would be wonderful.

This issue alone has made me sometimes record my voice overs with another program. Sadly, Camtasia refuses to allow anything above 44.1 and 16-bit. But considering we are able to record audio period with Camtasia, this limitation is something I can live with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a fast and easy way to record and edit videos for presentations and such, I would defintely

Camtasia allows me make low file size but high quality videos for my customers that works on all operating systems. With Camtasia, I can quickly and easily give the customer information through 100% compatible low file size videos.

Before Camtasia I was using Audacity for audio recording, a generic computer screen recorder and Sony Vegas Pro to put it all together. It usually took an hour to render and I had to hope that the video would be low file size and it would work with any Computer Operating System.

With Camtasia however, all recording and editing is done within the program and the available video formats to export to work with all computers. Also, render time is very low even for lengthy projects.

Camtasia review by User in Computer Software

"Pretty Robust Video Editor with some odd quirks"

What do you like best?

Intuitive enough and easy to pick up on for the average person. Relatively inexpensive.

What do you dislike?

Camtasia's interface is clunky. Keyboard shortcuts are not similar to the common shortcuts you'd find in Premiere or Adobe products, which I am more comfortable and familiar with. Shortcuts are the key to saving time with video editing and I frequently find that I waste a lot of time trying to figure out how to do something pretty simple like going to the next frame. It's just not built for hardcore video editing but putting together a podcast or webinar slide show is extremely easy.

Audio controls are pretty intuitive however there is no real audio mixer

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're trying to do really in-depth video editing I would suggest a more robust tool such as Premiere. Camtasia is MILES ahead of most free video editors but isn't quite on the level of more pro software like Premiere. It's just for a different application – Camtasia is great for simple videos that you can slap together in an hour or less without getting crazy in depth in terms of features.

We've built a whole library of training videos which we sell as a bundled package with e-learning software. Camtasia is a core piece of our business.

Camtasia review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Indespensible tool in the training developer's toolkit"

What do you like best?

It is hard to find a better product to create screen recordings and that is so easy to use and filled with so many useful features. Add to this, the price point and you have a tool that should be in the toolkit of every training developer's bag of rapid development applications. The zoom in and light box features are especially strong. The editor toolbar is efficient and easy to pick up. The publishing features are also easy to use, offer good flexibility including creating your own presets for projects. The application also comes with a nice library of intros, outros and background music. The sketch motion call outs are also a nice form of annotation.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to be able to output to HTML5 (with embedded quizzes) and support xAPI statements to a Learning Record Store. It would also be great to support creation of interactive videos (links, branching, hot spots, bookmarks, etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although I use other leading rapid authoring tools that come with screen recording capabilities, Camtasia is best in breed. I highly recommend the free trial to see for yourself. Also, check out some YouTube demonstration videos to appreciation the features of this product.

Creating software workflow recordings for training or troubleshooting. The tool is very easy to use and very good at creating the properly sized solution (simple and modest to complex and professional).

Camtasia review by Sarah L.
Sarah L.

"CREATE AWESOME VIDEO CONTENT WITH YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN AN CAMTASIA"

What do you like best?

The best part of Camtasia is that anyone can produce high-quality videos by using only a PC / Laptop and this software. One of the things I like most is that in order to create an energetic video, I only drag my set of images into Camtasia´s timeline, and the images for the video are ready; then, I can so the same thing if I want to add audio to the existing video (just drag the track inside the timeline). Another thing I really like about Camtasia is that I can add transitiojns for each image in order to make the video look more elaborate.

What do you dislike?

The first thing that doesn´t work properly about Camtasia is its audio leveling function doesn´t work properly, because if you add a couple different tracks with different volume levels, and then you run the audio leveling feature, you´ll find out that the tracks have the same volume levels after the feature was implemented. Another thing that I don´t like is that the noise removal option doesn´t work properly either, because if you run it, you´ll find no difference between the previous track and the new one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that Camtasia is one the best video recording software out there, if you want to create videos by recording your screen, or if you want to create a video course based on slides or images on your desktop.

I get the ability to make videos in an easy way to promote my independent business, and this is something that every entrepreneur should do in order to gain recognition. One more benefit I gain from using Camtasia is that I save time when I make video and audio material for myself and for users that rely on me (and also the quality I get from the software is huge).

Camtasia review by Samantha L.
Samantha L.

"Good for quick simulation clips"

What do you like best?

You can click record and go. After storyboarding.

What do you dislike?

Ability to conceal sensitive information or altering screen information is limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a cool feature if you are producing videos wherein you can use green screen video and remove the green so you can superimpose the video over a graphic.

When I want to make 30-60 second tutorials with voiceover, I prefer using Camtasia. But only when I don't need to alter the screens. ) Sometimes when building from a test environment, changing field names or data becomes necessary.) If you want to offer quick tutorials for application-based tasks, this is a great tool. You can knock them out quickly with audio and video at the same time.

Camtasia review by Andy P.
Andy P.

"Powerful and useful!"

What do you like best?

I've been using Camtasia since version 2 (early 2004). It's got a very professional feel to it, which I would expect since it's a bit pricey. It's very powerful, and the screen capture works very well also. Editing is easy, as are adding transitions (such as having a callout or title screen fade).

What do you dislike?

The latest updates have changed some of the functionality a little bit, which makes things more difficult to do (at least initially until I figure out the new use model). At times Techsmith is slow to answer and/or address issues -- one of my biggest pet peeves was that editing text needed to be done in a tiny window, even on a huge, high-res monitor. In the latest versions they've finally allowed editing text in place, but it was a long time coming!

Screen capture videos for demonstrating software functionality. We've used it for overview videos, training videos, and for customer support addressing specific issues being seen by users.

Camtasia review by Grant H.
Grant H.

"Simple Screen Capture"

What do you like best?

Camtasia allows for quick and easy capturing of content. I rarely use it for editing any more (prefer Adobe Premiere), but if you're new to video editing or just want simple tools, this is the way to go.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to really dislike about the program. I personally would prefer more advanced editing tools, but I figure that most users of the software will find that they are ample.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't forget to check your settings in the 'Advanced Export' so that you can get the exact type of file you need.

Often I will do advanced training sessions for administrators within our systems. I commonly use Uberconference for the session which takes care of the audio recording portion, but need to make sure that the video portion is captured as well. Camtasia has made it easy to do so and get the full picture. Even more than that, if I need to make a quick GIF of a new feature or bug fix, I can do so within Camtasia and send it over extremely easily.

Camtasia review by Keia H.
Keia H.

"Camtasia PC makes simple videos easy to make"

What do you like best?

Camtasia makes simple text animations easy. It's much more intuitive than say, iMovie or AfterEffects and only may require a little tutoring or practice for a total video editing novice to use.

What do you dislike?

The PC & Mac versions of Camtasia are like two different programs. I mainly used this program to add captions to client videos. I very much prefer the PC's way of captioning over Mac's, but I still have to use the Mac version to export videos with burned in captions, as the PC version of Camtasia does everything but that. Also, the two file formats are completely different, and PC and Mac captions are not compatible with each other, so when I open one file in another version, I often have to edit the captions I already made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to export videos with captions burned in, use the Mac version. If you don't, the PC version is way better.

I first downloaded Camtasia for adding closed captions to videos. Since then I've also moved to making simple animated videos for facebook ads, and Camtasia makes that easy for me.

Camtasia review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Great video capture and editing tool!"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to capture meetings and webinars. This allows me to review the information at a later date, my pace.

What do you dislike?

I would like the tool to allow the user to select the screen to capture from a drop-down, rather than have to select the screen and area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They've been around for a very long time. I think this is one of the best tools.

The ability for me to capture webinars and meetings. I can also split the video into pieces that pertain to certain individuals and provide them with that content, rather than the whole file.

Camtasia review by Sarah H.
Sarah H.

"Great way to make quick software education videos"

What do you like best?

What I like best is Camtasia's ease of use and compatibility with other recording and audio devices. They also make it very easy to share the videos you create.

What do you dislike?

I wish they had some more options in terms of animations and transitions but that would be it. It's really a great product. The software also seems to have a lot of bugs and crashes relatively frequently so that is a big problem.

Ability to quickly educate our clients on how to use various aspects of our software. It's helpful in that we as an Account Management team save time in training and/or use these videos to reinforce what we've taught them.

Camtasia review by Igor P.
Igor P.

"Camtasia - one and only"

What do you like best?

This is almighty eLearning tool for recording your screen, making video tutorilas, lection, guides. And it is great for post editing video materials too, like adding subtitles, changing recorded voice over vide and making great transitions between your video clips.

What do you dislike?

Well, none realy. I have tried mayn similar and alternative products, but none of them are even close to the Camtasia.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Professional tool for screening, recording and post production of recorded vide files.

Making eLearning video tutorilas. Great benefit is the post porduction. Wheather you need to cut or replaye some part of recorded video all the way down to adding banners/logos on the production video. Also, you can make subtitles. You can mark your live video with the graphic shapes any part of the video area and adjust any recorded audio from low to high volume and even to a silence (if there is a background noise like car naoise through the windows or similar)

Camtasia review by User in Financial Services

"Best money you ever spent"

What do you like best?

Ease of use! The program is laid out so logically. Filled with drop-down options, and instructions along the way. There are several ways to use Camtasia Studio in that you can record your screen, or create and edit using the amazing editor. I love the ability to lay multiple tracks out and edit down to a nanosecond. The cut, insert, audio balance, and auto transitions are some of my favorite features.

What do you dislike?

If I were a new user I would be intimidated by the program. But don't be, it is really simple. There are tons of YouTube videos along with help screen within the program to get you going and keep you learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to really learn to use the many features. As easy as it is, there are some great short cuts that will really improve the usage.

The biggest problem is editing presentations so the sound balance is correct from multiple people on different devices talking. Although we record numerous videos and edit them by stringing multiple versions together.

Camtasia review by Andrew R.
Andrew R.

"Camtasia is all you could want for screen recording and production"

What do you like best?

With the new Camtasia 9 release, which brought more flexibility to on-screen text and callouts, and 64-bit support, I've got basically zero complaints. We use this system for software training videos, but reports, sales demos... any screen recording need is covered. The price is very, very reasonable.

What do you dislike?

Not much, honestly. It would be great to have automatic audio ducking and perhaps some more refined audio control in general. Maybe some more options for custom animations and such. Fortunately, TechSmith has a very active support forum and takes customer suggestions seriously. I have no doubt it'll all get there in the end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the demo!

We sell a web-based software, so we've been using the software to recording videos for training the users. Over the past year we've released a 2-3 minute walkthrough every week and Camtasia makes it a snap to produce and edit a very professional output.

Camtasia review by User in Higher Education

"Camtasia makes video recording easy"

What do you like best?

Camtasia is very easy to use on the fly. The interface is intuitive and if you make a mistake it is easy to go back and correct it. The resulting videos look professional and clean.

What do you dislike?

It takes a while to learn the full utility of the program and sometimes it is easier to start over with a video project rather than try to clean it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia was easy to learn how to use and a easy and powerful editor. The price makes it an excellent consideration. I used it to record PowerPoints for training videos but there is a lot more that it can do. Just try it out and see how easy it is to use!

We use Camtasia to produce training and education videos. Viewers can watch it on their own time and go back and repeat things that are unclear.

Camtasia review by Jackie B.
Jackie B.

"Create Storytelling Videos Right From Your Laptop w/Drag & Drop Editing"

What do you like best?

We hired a freelancer to create a video, who quit before finishing. Camtasia let me take the pile left behind, and create the powerful storytelling video I envisioned right from the start, all on my own. (Yes-it's that easy, and when I as the Founder, can put my vision into a video, myself, it tells a much more compelling story.)

What do you dislike?

It took a bit of time to get familiar with it, but after that. It was, and continues to deliver what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even if you're not that technical, it won't take long to learn this and the support team is awesome! It's well worth doing this yourself as it will capture every facet of your storytelling message,

Greater agility in product development, and testing in heterogeneous environments. We needed end-user testing to be as seamless as possible.

Camtasia review by Rob F.
Rob F.

"The "All-You-Need" video editing system"

What do you like best?

Camtasia does it all and it has a very small learning curve. I have used several video editing systems and this done is usable right after download. Even though it is easy to use, it is far from basic. It does everything you need from splitting audio to recording your web cam and screen.

What do you dislike?

Recently they put out a new update. You have to pay for the update. I have never been a fan of purchasing something that becomes obsolete right after the new update. This is not very expensive, but it is the point that they make you pay again and again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to edit and film video right after downloading the product then this is the system for you.

In education I use Camtasia to create tutorials for my teachers. I also use it to edit my you tube educational shows. I use Camtasia also in the classroom for my students to edit because of the small learning curve

Camtasia review by Stewart I.
Stewart I.

"Camtasia Review "

What do you like best?

It is a versatile product, great user interface and for my uses, I have not found any limitations. I like that it does not limit the length of video file recording and the advanced editing tools. It can record anything on your computer screen, great for PowerPoint presentations and recording over iOS devices.

What do you dislike?

You are only allowed to update your version of software, you have to pay to upgrade to the new version

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Camtasia if you are making any kind of videos or need the option to record your screen.

I use Camtasia for creating how-to user guide videos.

Camtasia review by Brent R.
Brent R.

"TechSmith's Camtasia makes screen captures and recordings super easy."

What do you like best?

Camtasia is the easiest video recording/editing software I've ever used. The user interface is very intuitive, lightweight, and feature-rich. One of my favorite things is its ability to simultaneously record from the screen and the computer camera, allowing the user to cut between shots.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint with Camtasia is that exporting options are very limited, so if you need a video format other than .mp4 or .mov, you will need separate software to convert your file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you find yourself needing to record your screen while providing narration, this product will make your life so much easier.

Camtasia is perfect for recording explainer videos and presentations. Compared to other video editing software I've used before, I am able to complete such projects in half the time.

Camtasia review by Stacy B.
Stacy B.

"Creative and Easy"

What do you like best?

Love the behaviors and the ease of placing things on the timeline. It is really quite versatile because I can create promos, educational videos, and much more.

What do you dislike?

Very tiny scroll bars and hard to grab the edges of media on the timeline. It is very processing-intensive so close everything else down on your computer while you are working in Camtasia. Best option - have a dedicated graphics card and lots of processing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia upgrades every other year or so. It's usually a pay one time deal, but you really must get the upgrades, so just know that going in. It's better than many other tools and it's quite versatile. It's even better when you pair it with a company that provides pre-created animations as well.

I am creating online courses for my business.

Camtasia review by User in Internet

"Camtasia - Transforming the Ordinary"

What do you like best?

The best features of Camtasia is the speed and effects. Its easy to take a boring topic and transform it into an entertaining, exciting, and engaging presentation with sound, visual, and camera effects to keep participants engaged throughout.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the hyperlink embed feature was supported after you export the video to local file / youtube. Also, very occasionally, which may be more due to my machine not being up to par with the latest processors / memory, Camtasia will freeze, and ultimately I will lose up until my last save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. Its cheap compared to other software alternatives, it has amazing capabilities, and once you get to know it, its very quick to create great reviews.

Creating engaging and exciting training and marketing videos for internal use around the release of new products that have been launched.

Camtasia review by Kelly-Lynne R.
Kelly-Lynne R.

"Camtasia is one of the easier video platforms I've used"

What do you like best?

Camtasia allows you to manipulate sound to get rid of background noises and also is very easy to use (with a short tutorial). There are also a wealth of how-to's available with the product so that you can get the hang of what you're doing. I created a pretty professional video in a few hours with just an iphone and my laptop and a pair of headphones. Not bad!

What do you dislike?

It sometimes takes a really long time to render...and it is a little hard to download it (though you can save to Google Drive). One time it crashed and I lost some information...but I think that was largely due to my internet connection and lack of space.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you do your research about what Camtasia can support (it's different for Mac and PC)...and also make SURE to watch the tutorials before you start, otherwise you'll be totally lost.

Making how-to videos for our software so that people can save time and not book entire appointments with our team for simple fixes. Once I got the hang of creating videos, it was pretty easy to create an entire library of them and our users LOVED the convenience.

Camtasia review by Jade M.
Jade M.

"Difficult upload but user friendly"

What do you like best?

I used Camtasia when I was teaching online/hybrid classes and my face time with students was limited. What I would do is walk them through assignments and sometimes my grading of their individual papers to help convey my vocal tone when I was giving them feedback. The system is easy to use to actually record, though I struggled with the editing a bit. Sometimes I just wanted it to capture my screen while I was editing and my voice and that took me a bit to figure out on my own.

What do you dislike?

I had a lot of difficulty in uploading Camtasia videos. I was told it synced with Blackboard but for some reason I could not get the syncing to work. So I ended up having to create a classroom YouTube account, upload the video's there, and then post the link to the YouTube account to blackboard. The extra step was kind of a hassle, but perhaps if I had fiddled with it some more I could have gotten it to work. I honestly do not know whether this was a Blackboard problem -- in general I abhor Blackboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an software to use to give video feedback to the students this is a good one but to me it is as comparable as other software used for the same thing. It's so expensive too and the trial version....wait, is there a trial version?

The biggest benefit is to my students. I can walk them through individual feedback in a way that conveys my upbeat tone. It keeps them from misinterpreting my comments for improvement which helps them learn and retain information better. Video commentary is also WAY faster than typing out every little comment I have.

Camtasia review by Ralf B.
Ralf B.

"Intuitive Screencasts with Techsmith Camtasia"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the intuitive way of working with Techsmith Camtasia. Since 10 years I am using this application and comparing to similar software it is a very powerful screencasting tool. You can cut, resize and publish material in a very quick way. It is also possible to work with pointers and callouts to emphasize specific regions on the screen.

These standard features are so intuitive that you will learn using the software very, very fast.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike as long as you use Techsmith Camtasia as an application to record your screen.

Unfortunately the Camtasia platform does not offer much training possibilities. So there a tons of features that users do not know how to use. I would also appreciate some more templates, especially for video production.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with Techsmith Camtasia you have a great tool for non-interactive screencasts. After working 1h you feel very comfortable with this application.

But you should use Camtasia not as an all-in-one-solution like Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline. You can not create interactive screnarios or any kind of sophisticated elearnings with conditions or variables.

Screencasts, no more - no less

Working with software applications always creates the same support questions. "How can I ..." Explaining it via phone or even write an email needs much more time than preparing a Camtasia video for recurrent problems. Screencasts can reduce the amount of support questions. Screencasts solve a lot of problems before the customers contact the support center.

Camtasia review by Colin R.
Colin R.

"Camtasia"

What do you like best?

The best part of Camtasia is how fast I can get a video up, edited and shared to my clients. I provide support to a software and processes and work mostly with visual people. I am able to get a video of me doing the act I am teaching, up and edited in less time that it would be to create a document with screen shots and sent along. Clients then share this amognst themselves

What do you dislike?

Previous versions, when upgraded may not have been as stable as they could have been, and I have lost work due to crashes. This appears to have been solved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is the goto for this, Quicktime can do a similar thing, but not as well. Using a high quality microphone helps a ton as people will forgive your video screen, but not if the audio is tinny or off.

Learn how to use the share options properly, as some of the videos may not be large enough for clients to view properly when viewing.

Also, basic video edting knowledge would be good for this. Cutting and splicing the timeline is easy enough for a beginner to do and understand, but non linear editing may confuse some basic users

As mentioned above, I am able to easily convey information about software and techniques to visually learning (creatives) clients easily and quickly. These videos allow my clients a quick, concise visual explanation of the processes we are dealing with.

Camtasia review by Allison I.
Allison I.

"Use it every day, relax!"

What do you like best?

So easy to use, for demonstrations, training, explaining, clarifying to employees, contractors, colleagues, friends, you name it! The power of visual communication is really easy with Camtasia. We publish regularly to google drive, but you can publish to many other places like youtube or export to an MP$ or other format.

What do you dislike?

I wish the output folders were shown to me alphabetically as I have a lot of folders in google drive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find this incredibly easy to use and have become completely dependent on it!

training for bookkeeping, marketing, web development, order processing, customer service, website tours, document processes, and explaining problems in general.

Camtasia review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Great Video Editing Tool"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Camtasia is that you can record your video, and then immediately go in an edit it to match what you need for your purposes. I haven't used other video editing tools, so this is all I have to go off of, but other users at my company create their own videos and send them to me. I then open up their video in Camtasia and check for sound quality, if it's too quiet, I can increase it to a more apt volume, same if it's too loud. I can split the audio from the video, and tweak it there if needed. I then put on our intro/outro videos to the video and then I can complete/produce the final video using our parameters that we set up and it makes good quality video.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I really don't care for Camtasia is the noise reduction. My experience with Camtasia's noise reduction is that it adds a warble type sound. Instead of being crisp and clear, there's an added sound. Granted the noise that was intended to be removed is mostly removed, but its frustrating when there's an added sound that doesn't belong. I would rather the noise reduction just remove the noise and not add another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont use the noise reduction feature, but other than that it's a good program.

We have added content that we use for our customers and others. We put our videos up on YouTube and that has added an additional revenue stream and customers/people world wide like and enjoy our videos. They're quite helpful.

Camtasia review by Adam L.
Adam L.

"A wonderful tool"

What do you like best?

Its so simple to edit movies, to record the screen and make videos

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. The system works well but when it comes to more complicated video updates you cannot. Of course the system was not made for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial and give it a shot before you buy. This is a a great tool and you need to make sure its for you.

We needed a simple service to make simple videos as well as grab the screen and this tool allowed us to do that without having to work with Premier pro or other more complicated services.

Camtasia review by User in Computer Software

"Functionally strong, relatively easy to use"

What do you like best?

It does the job! Camtasia allows me to easily record video and/or audio from my screen, whether it's a webinar I'm delivering or attending, a software demo, a conference call or something else. It also allows me to easily edit recordings then put the recording into a format that I can easily share with others.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to find an answer to this question. The software is quite complex to it would be churlish to grumble about it not being intuitive or easy to learn / use as I think, given the depth of functionality, it actually IS pretty intuitive and easy to adopt.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a whirl! And be ready to put some time into getting the most from the software. It's worth the investment.

A need to record a variety of events then produce a file that has a much smaller size than the equivalent if recorded in something like QuickTime.

A need to edit recordings.

Camtasia review by Kris L.
Kris L.

"Wonder Tool"

What do you like best?

Camtasia's editing ability and available free add ons are invaluable. The layering feature is so simple to use. This products allows for polished video creation without having to be an editing specialist.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it can default to including a player when producing videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Camtasia is moving forward in the right direction. The implementation of login that works for both Mac and PC as well as cloud support makes this tool more valuable.

Camtasia allows us to provide quality video editing without the premium costs associated with most video editing software.

Camtasia review by Will G.
Will G.

"Amazing Interface...Simple to use...Great for those who have to create quickly."

What do you like best?

Camtasia has awesome editing, screen capture features. Their ability to split A/V and add transitions simply makes this a great tool for fast editing.

Exporting is simple and if you are comfortable with Office/G-Suite, you can easily start creating video w/Camtasia.

What do you dislike?

At this point, there is really nothing I dislike. I suppose if I had to ask for something, I would like a few more audio editing features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to focus more on what you create, as opposed to the tool you use to create it...USE CAMTASIA!

Making both complex and simple videos.

Camtasia review by Julia F.
Julia F.

"Great but glitchy Product "

What do you like best?

It is cool and easy product to use. Many cool features like "Clip Speed" and "SmartFocus"

What do you dislike?

Extremely glitchy. Sometimes the Annotations changes colors without notice. It will also change colors when I am trying to export file to mp4. Really frustrating and I have to close out of Camtasia and reopen it repeatedly. This has been an issue for almost a year and Camtasia still hasn't come out with a fix.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an easy to use product that has great potential. Be careful and patient with the glitches.

Camtasia helps enhance product release notes + help center articles.

Camtasia review by Karen C.
Karen C.

"Gold Standard for Screencast Software"

What do you like best?

Camtasia makes creating professional looking screencasts relatively easy for the novice.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there was a verison of Camtasia that ran in the cloud so that I could use it on a Chromebook. Camtasia is one of three programs that I still need a PC for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would choose Camstasia over web-based solutions if you have a PC or MAC.

I use Camtasia to teach others how to use G Suite for Education. It is an e

Camtasia review by LINDA H.
LINDA H.

"Great program!"

What do you like best?

I made a lot of videos for training in my mortgage company showing how to use certain programs. So this program was great to capture the videos. Editing them was really easy too. The timeline was easy, the controls were easy, very intuitive. I only had a beginner level of experience with video editing, so this was great to use! I would recommend to anyone looking to train someone else about computer programs. It's very customizable.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike... Definitely just a program to edit what is on your screen. I tried using the program to edit real life footage and it did not work the same. So in that way, this just shows how it's definitely geared towards editing desktop videos. Not recommended for editing regular live action movies or videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some video editing experience will make this transition very nice.

We needed to show how to use certain programs and this program made it possible to share how to use programs very easily. This solved our problem of how to teach new employees quickly on using our software. However other products have some out since then that do a lot more than just record. they even write out and SAY what you are doing on screen. So make sure you know what problems you are trying to solve before purchasing a software that only does half the work you are looking for. We learned this the hard way!

Camtasia review by Geoff L.
Geoff L.