Canvas

Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning (and implementation and adoption and customer support and student success and bragging to your non-Canvas-using peers) easier.

Work for Canvas?

Learning about Canvas?

Canvas Reviews

Ask Canvas a Question
Showing 359 Canvas reviews
Canvas review by <span>Hope L.</span>
Hope L.

Professional Learning

What do you like best?

Canva is very user friendly for all ages. The left panel provides easy access to all pages and options in the class in Canva.

What do you dislike?

Discerning where specific items are located can be difficult if one does not interpret the options correctly. The options use jargon that is not frequently used in brick and mortar classrooms (like "modules"), so this can be confusing for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a great way to assign Professional development to adults in the workforce. They provide an asynchronous way to learn content. As a creator, you can manage assignments, grading, and projects in a class section.

My business uses Canvas as a platform for online learning. It is a way to create assignments, quizzes, modules, and more to assign individually or to a class. Canvas is easily used by all students of all ages- children and adults! It is great to use for professional development as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Canvas
Canvas review by <span>Tasha T.</span>
Tasha T.

A Must For Teaching!

What do you like best?

Of all the programs available as support tools for teachers, this one is by far my favorite. For each class I teach, I can create modules for each unit of curriculum. Within each module, I can upload documents, notes, web links, and even create assignments. In addition to creating modules, I can create tests and quizzes. All assignments and tests can be graded through Canvas' "SpeedGrader", and grades can be saved in the "Grades" section for immediate student viewing. There is also a special feature for Turnitin.com, which checks all work turned in for plagiarism. The interface is extremely easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Although the interface is easy to use, it looks a little boring and basic.

One problem I was able to solve was getting work to students that were absent in class. By me loading notes and materials into Canvas, students can access what they need from home.

I have been able to go virtually paperless in the classroom.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Canvas review by <span>Barbara C.</span>
Barbara C.

Very good teaching/learning tool

What do you like best?

I think it's a very organized platform, with a clean layout that allows for functionality and easy access. I like grading papers directly on the Speed Grading tool, which makes it easy to point out or highlight details, leave annotated comments, and even search Google for plagiarism. I also like how we can create/add our own rubrics for easy grading as well.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like about the platform is the inability to completely connect to certain tools, such as the VoiceThreads Assignments, that aren't possible to create reminders for the student's calendar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would totally give Canvas a try. As any new tool, it takes time to adapt and learn the tricks. However, if given the right consideration and constant use, I definitely think it makes an effective difference on a daily basis, saving time and stress with unresponsive software. I have never had a big issue with the platform and it has never made me angry os stress. It does just what I need in the easiest way possible for my needs.

I use it as a student and as an instructor. From a student perspective, I find it easy to submit assignments and get full feedback from my instructors, as well as to follow the TO DO LIST and calendar reminders for what it's due. From an instructor perceptive, I also find it easy to keep track of my students' submissions, my previous comments left and schedule announcements. I also find benefit on being able to visualize how much students are using the platform and if they are opening the documents and viewing all the feedback available.

Canvas review by <span>Caroline M.</span>
Caroline M.

Big LMS with lots of capabilities but limited funcionality

What do you like best?

Canvas provides a platform for my digital resources for my students. It has an iPad app that is relatively functional and allows for uploads of rubrics and grading directly in the LMS. I particularly like creating that I can put students in groups on Canvas and grade a group project using one rubric, that is visible to all students in the group. Canvas is a huge platform with lots of capabilities (like in-app quizzes, grading, written and spoken feedback, etc)

What do you dislike?

Canvas is so enormous that the functionality of many of it's capabilities is relatively limited. In a 1:1 iPad school, the many problems with the App and very limited capabilities of the app are causing our school to look elsewhere for another LMS. Canvas has not been able to keep up with updates of other services (ie gradebooks) and loses functionality each time another service has a big update. Their service team has not provided us with solutions to many of our issues and is relatively non-responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere

All teachers use the same LMS to provide resources to students. Our students know how to use Canvas since all teachers use it.

Canvas review by <span>Kelli D.</span>
Kelli D.

Great software for classwork

What do you like best?

It's easy to set up modules with assignments, announcements, syllabus, etc. I especially like that you can easily duplicate the classes since my work makes it necessary to have the same assignments and modules duplicated every few months for new class groups. It's also easy to contact students via the Canvas network.

The speed grader is the BEST! It makes it really quick to go through assignments and quizzes and grade them.

What do you dislike?

We've had some difficulty with enrolling students in the classes on occasion--once or twice I entered all the students' names and email addresses and the program didn't send out invites. I've also had some problems trying to respond to students' messages through email. (Canvas will send in-Canvas messages to your email as well, but it doesn't always seem to work.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have really liked using this program. It has made my job a lot easier and is very user-friendly for both admins and students!

We run classes every month for international students that involve pre- and post- assignments and in the past it was very difficult to keep track of all of their assignments. We have 9 different class locations all over the country and each class generally has 100+ students. You can imagine how many emails that is to keep track of when they're just sending in assignments via email! Canvas has cut down on a lot of hassle and made it easy to keep track of students' assignments.

Canvas review by <span>Ian A.</span>
Ian A.

Instructure's Canvas removes the barrier between students and professors.

What do you like best?

The best aspect of Canvas is the amount of customization available. I have taken many different quizzes, submitted various assignments, and graded homework using this tool. Every feature available works smoothly, and the mobile app is immensely helpful.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate more support for math quizzes and tests, such as WebAssign has. Additionally, the ability to upload images into the rich text editor would be excellent. Currently, if I want to upload a file into a discussion post I have to upload it, then edit my post and insert the photo. This slows things down and severely limits the number of photos I can upload to a post. The ability to attach other files other than pictures easily would be very helpful as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the ability to leave and read instructor comments! This is one of the most often neglected features of Canvas, and one of the most helpful. You don't have to be in the dark about what your classmates and professors are saying, you can ask and communicate through this channel.

I work as a Teacher's Aide, and I use canvas to grade students' homework. I like the SpeedGrader system, it makes things go quickly and smoothly, helping me and the students.

Learn more about Canvas

Canvas Videos

Canvas Downloads

Learning about Canvas?

* We monitor all Canvas reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.