Canvas

Canvas

Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning (and implementation and adoption and customer support and student success and bragging to your non-Canvas-using peers) easier.

Work for Canvas?

Learning about Canvas?

Canvas Reviews

Ask Canvas a Question
Showing 725 Canvas reviews
Canvas review by <span>Hope L.</span>
Hope L.

"Professional Learning"

What do you like best?

Canva is very user friendly for all ages. The left panel provides easy access to all pages and options in the class in Canva.

What do you dislike?

Discerning where specific items are located can be difficult if one does not interpret the options correctly. The options use jargon that is not frequently used in brick and mortar classrooms (like "modules"), so this can be confusing for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a great way to assign Professional development to adults in the workforce. They provide an asynchronous way to learn content. As a creator, you can manage assignments, grading, and projects in a class section.

My business uses Canvas as a platform for online learning. It is a way to create assignments, quizzes, modules, and more to assign individually or to a class. Canvas is easily used by all students of all ages- children and adults! It is great to use for professional development as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Canvas
Canvas review by <span>Tasha T.</span>
Tasha T.

"A Must For Teaching!"

What do you like best?

Of all the programs available as support tools for teachers, this one is by far my favorite. For each class I teach, I can create modules for each unit of curriculum. Within each module, I can upload documents, notes, web links, and even create assignments. In addition to creating modules, I can create tests and quizzes. All assignments and tests can be graded through Canvas' "SpeedGrader", and grades can be saved in the "Grades" section for immediate student viewing. There is also a special feature for Turnitin.com, which checks all work turned in for plagiarism. The interface is extremely easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Although the interface is easy to use, it looks a little boring and basic.

One problem I was able to solve was getting work to students that were absent in class. By me loading notes and materials into Canvas, students can access what they need from home.

I have been able to go virtually paperless in the classroom.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Canvas review by <span>Barbara C.</span>
Barbara C.

"Very good teaching/learning tool"

What do you like best?

I think it's a very organized platform, with a clean layout that allows for functionality and easy access. I like grading papers directly on the Speed Grading tool, which makes it easy to point out or highlight details, leave annotated comments, and even search Google for plagiarism. I also like how we can create/add our own rubrics for easy grading as well.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like about the platform is the inability to completely connect to certain tools, such as the VoiceThreads Assignments, that aren't possible to create reminders for the student's calendar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would totally give Canvas a try. As any new tool, it takes time to adapt and learn the tricks. However, if given the right consideration and constant use, I definitely think it makes an effective difference on a daily basis, saving time and stress with unresponsive software. I have never had a big issue with the platform and it has never made me angry os stress. It does just what I need in the easiest way possible for my needs.

I use it as a student and as an instructor. From a student perspective, I find it easy to submit assignments and get full feedback from my instructors, as well as to follow the TO DO LIST and calendar reminders for what it's due. From an instructor perceptive, I also find it easy to keep track of my students' submissions, my previous comments left and schedule announcements. I also find benefit on being able to visualize how much students are using the platform and if they are opening the documents and viewing all the feedback available.

Canvas review by <span>Caroline M.</span>
Caroline M.

"Big LMS with lots of capabilities but limited funcionality "

What do you like best?

Canvas provides a platform for my digital resources for my students. It has an iPad app that is relatively functional and allows for uploads of rubrics and grading directly in the LMS. I particularly like creating that I can put students in groups on Canvas and grade a group project using one rubric, that is visible to all students in the group. Canvas is a huge platform with lots of capabilities (like in-app quizzes, grading, written and spoken feedback, etc)

What do you dislike?

Canvas is so enormous that the functionality of many of it's capabilities is relatively limited. In a 1:1 iPad school, the many problems with the App and very limited capabilities of the app are causing our school to look elsewhere for another LMS. Canvas has not been able to keep up with updates of other services (ie gradebooks) and loses functionality each time another service has a big update. Their service team has not provided us with solutions to many of our issues and is relatively non-responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere

All teachers use the same LMS to provide resources to students. Our students know how to use Canvas since all teachers use it.

Canvas review by <span>Kelli D.</span>
Kelli D.

"Great software for classwork"

What do you like best?

It's easy to set up modules with assignments, announcements, syllabus, etc. I especially like that you can easily duplicate the classes since my work makes it necessary to have the same assignments and modules duplicated every few months for new class groups. It's also easy to contact students via the Canvas network.

The speed grader is the BEST! It makes it really quick to go through assignments and quizzes and grade them.

What do you dislike?

We've had some difficulty with enrolling students in the classes on occasion--once or twice I entered all the students' names and email addresses and the program didn't send out invites. I've also had some problems trying to respond to students' messages through email. (Canvas will send in-Canvas messages to your email as well, but it doesn't always seem to work.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have really liked using this program. It has made my job a lot easier and is very user-friendly for both admins and students!

We run classes every month for international students that involve pre- and post- assignments and in the past it was very difficult to keep track of all of their assignments. We have 9 different class locations all over the country and each class generally has 100+ students. You can imagine how many emails that is to keep track of when they're just sending in assignments via email! Canvas has cut down on a lot of hassle and made it easy to keep track of students' assignments.

Canvas review by <span>Ian A.</span>
Ian A.

"Instructure's Canvas removes the barrier between students and professors."

What do you like best?

The best aspect of Canvas is the amount of customization available. I have taken many different quizzes, submitted various assignments, and graded homework using this tool. Every feature available works smoothly, and the mobile app is immensely helpful.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate more support for math quizzes and tests, such as WebAssign has. Additionally, the ability to upload images into the rich text editor would be excellent. Currently, if I want to upload a file into a discussion post I have to upload it, then edit my post and insert the photo. This slows things down and severely limits the number of photos I can upload to a post. The ability to attach other files other than pictures easily would be very helpful as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the ability to leave and read instructor comments! This is one of the most often neglected features of Canvas, and one of the most helpful. You don't have to be in the dark about what your classmates and professors are saying, you can ask and communicate through this channel.

I work as a Teacher's Aide, and I use canvas to grade students' homework. I like the SpeedGrader system, it makes things go quickly and smoothly, helping me and the students.

Canvas review by <span>Robert M.</span>
Robert M.

"Seamless Educational Experience"

What do you like best?

I like the centralized access to everything related to the course. There is no need for additional software packages, this does it all from syllabus to cloud storage, assignment management and discussion forums and grading. For online and distant learning it really helps bring the class together in a virtual environment. I also like the multi device and operating system support. On a daily basis I login from my phone, tablet and PC with no issues. This is a very powerful capability since we are all on the go on a daily basis and the ability to seamlessly move from one device to another is a key feature that should not be overlooked. I also like the integration with numerous cloud based systems which provides a high level of interoperability.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike can be lag time but it is difficult to determine if that is from the software or ISP. Overall this has not diminished my user experience and it continues to get better with subsequent releases of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great application with wide compatibility options.

It consolidates education and classroom management allowing me to spend more focusing on course management. It also solves the issue of managing information from the classroom to home. The ability to have access on a phone also solves productivity losses by allowing better use of time throughout the day.

Canvas review by <span>Audria B.</span>
Audria B.

"World’s largest classroom"

What do you like best?

Canvas has a trial account, and in two weeks you can understand that the program suits you or not. During the trial period, I realized that Canvas was created just for my needs and helps me to simplify the training and education of my students. I and my colleagues don't have much time to inform all the students about upcoming tests, polls or changes in the schedule.

What do you dislike?

In the first use of this program there were some difficulties, but then, when I figured out it was easy to organize the students on a joint work (this minus concerns any new program to which one must first get used). There are some difficulties for my students in getting access to the files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

All the students were happy when Canvas appeared because the study became more interesting and responsible. It is easy to follow your progress. I can recommend Canvas without any doubts.

In my work, it's important to maintain communication with the trainees, to help them find the necessary materials. I communicate with other trainees without any efforts and be aware of everything that happens in an educational process. With Canvas it becomes possible.

Canvas review by <span>Elliot Marcel M.</span>
Elliot Marcel M.

"Great product, small tweaks for the main site to adapt to laptops are needed"

What do you like best?

Everything for the class takes place in one place! Communication (email and announcements), grading, assignment creation, loading files etc. Great app for phone and tablets. There is a lot of versatility in terms of keeping track of individual students and the whole class simultaneously. The ability to preserve a course online and easily transfer material from one semester to the next is a huge boon!

What do you dislike?

The grading feature is a bit cumbersome, particularly on a laptop. The windows are not always fully visible and when not working in google chrome there are links that sometimes don't appear. This can create extra work since students don't see their feedback generating further need for communication etc. This is the the most important feature of the product as far as I'm concerned and it would be incredibly helpful if the platform included a less cumbersome way of grading! While the communications feature's ability to be switched off is nice in the sense of users not being bombarded with emails, this means that sometimes students are not actually getting your messages. Instructors should be able to override this function as needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone at the last few universities I have worked at seems to agree that Canvas is a step ahead of Blackboard.

All of the needs in terms of communicating with students, creating modules, inputing grades, sharing files and so forth are done through this program. The biggest problem being solved is that of paper grading which I am able to do through the speedgrader function that it built in.

Canvas review by <span>Caroline W.</span>
Caroline W.

"Review for Canvas"

What do you like best?

Canvas is a really cool application for classroom management. It delivers safe performance and makes all of my content very organized. I used Moodle and BrainHoney prior to this and Canvas trumps them all.

It works well on various operating systems and gives the administrator so much power to deliver the content (in my case, biology notes for my students that I tutor) in so many different ways.

It pretty much contains all the features a teacher or tutor can ever need!

What do you dislike?

Canvas is VERY difficult to understand/use. It would take you a lot of time just to understand all the features to be able to access them. Considering that this is a service to be able to share content easily with other users, I believe that they should make the accessibility features easier for others to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give it a big thumbs up!

I use it to share biology notes with my tutees online. This comes in handy for me to fulfill my role as a peer tutor.

Canvas review by <span>Stephany W.</span>
Stephany W.

"Very helpful - better than blackboard!"

What do you like best?

The first thing I noticed with this product was the the interface was very user friendly! I liked that I was able to create a full profile with a photo that other users could see and get information from. The grade feature was also very helpful in calculating current grade points. I also liked the fact that you could "predict" your current grade by inputting any amount of potential grades for individual assignments.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about this product. One thing that needs improvement is the time between when things occur on the site, and when notifications are sent out. There seems to be a lapse in time for about a day or two where I have not received a notification There have been a few glitches related to assignments not showing up with they are posted, but these have seemed to be resolved. I have yet to use customer support, so I cannot make many comments related to that aspect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a great tool for online classes!

My company upgraded to canvas after using Blackboard for several years. We use this product in order to develop assignments, modules, discussions, and grades via an online portal. This is extremely beneficial for online classes to make sure that everybody is getting the same assignment at the same time.

Canvas review by <span>Melissa C.</span>
Melissa C.

" Canvas makes classes easier!"

What do you like best?

The time stamp feature for submitted documents is especially helpful! It holds accountability for students, and makes files available to students readily easily.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes hard to view certain documents through the application on a cellular device. I don’t have any issues with canvas on a computer!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend anyone teaching a course to use canvas. It takes the guess work out of electronic documents and turning assignments on time. I love the opportunity it creates for student discussion, for deadlines, and for providing students class resources (lectures etc). It is much easier to use than blackboard, Dropbox, and is accessible to everyone.

Ensuring all students receive communication about notifications through canvas at the beginning of each semester can be challenging. It is wonderful though to realize all documents can be electronically stored for easy access for grading. It takes all of the hassle out of the class.

Canvas review by <span>Giovanni D.</span>
Giovanni D.

" A Powerful house for those who know how to explore it"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the flexibility of the system and how faculty centric it is. The robust APIs that allow you to incorporate your "personal touch" in a LMS system.

What do you dislike?

Nothing personally but I do know there are some who do not like all the "bells and whistles". It could be considered overwhelming due to all the type of features available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want simplicity, this may not be the right tool. There are others that are simple. You can make it work but this is a tool for someone who is looking for a powerful and feature rich tool.

We resolved many problems. First, the LMS system is a more up to date system with updates practically every month. It is very "forward thinking" and it is constantly being improved. Additionally, being faculty centric, allows faculty to truly engage students in a more "natural" way by easily embedding tools and applications within the LMS.

Canvas review by <span>Shawnna C.</span>
Shawnna C.

"Very good solution to go with education skills."

What do you like best?

The platform gives a chance to use and to work with important information to me. All works are very productive. I like the fast way to submit our assignments. Very powerful platform for students gives the ability to learn better and in more suitable time.

What do you dislike?

If you would like to work with no issue that it is better to install that Software. Very good sharing program with all important information to my students. Also, I like that, I always can take a right an advice from support service if I need it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful education software. Simple to use and work with the wonderful interface. Strong path of knowledge brings a lot of power to increase education skills. This platform I'm not afraid to use. And I recommend it to you.

Great opportunity for us. I mean it is a big helper to teachers and of course to students. To have education at online service is the big jump into knowledge. I can be sure that all presentation of the lecture will be very useful and understandable to the audience.

Canvas review by <span>Scottie G.</span>
Scottie G.

"The perfect door to an effective way."

What do you like best?

Gives me better concentrate on using technology to make better classroom experience and learning processes for students and teachers. Make your study process much better for everyone.

What do you dislike?

During the all working process I don't have any delay or disconnect in connection. Also, that platform has a lot of useful information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wonderful learning software.Wil make your study much easy. With this platform, your education way will be much interesting and suitable for the most students. For sure online presentation of learning will make our student more active in the process and productive.

Actually, we are saving our time. I'm glad that I can show the most comfortable process of study. I guess it is important to learn that it is an open and clear way. It'is wonderful that I can see an interest from students to study. Its mean that this software really doing the right job.

Canvas review by <span>Sara C.</span>
Sara C.

"Flexible LMS with Responsive Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Probably the best part of Canvas is that it can be customized to my courses. I have used it for managing both in-person and online courses, and it works well for both purposes. I also use different features for different classes depending on the needs of my students. I like that Canvas isn't one-size-fits-all and can be used by different professors in lots of different ways.

What do you dislike?

Probably the main thing I think could be improved is making sure students receive and view feedback from SpeedGrader more easily. Right now it takes multiple clicks to view feedback given through features like the rubric, so some students get confused and others don't bother. I'd like a way to have Canvas automatically email instructor feedback to students.

Communication with students, providing one centralized place for students to access course materials, messages, grades, feedback, etc.

Canvas review by <span>Karthikeyan B.</span>
Karthikeyan B.

"Canvas for efficient education management"

What do you like best?

Canvas has been an excellent tool for communicating and share file with people in the class. The faculty can upload and control the files and grades and TA and GA's can easily update grade and have a centralized dash board for students with which they can manage all class details , class time and their grade.

What do you dislike?

canvas is perfect and good to use in classroom environment and for any organized course, there no dislike with canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

using canvas for your education management purpose is highly recommended, once you use it you will understand the easy of classroom and file management, the centralized management of all subject will be an advantage for students. The file sharing is another problem that will be easily solved using canvas in the classroom. homework submission is also made easier using canvas.

need for emailing everyone individually can have a potential of problem of missing a person in an important conformation. but with canvas you can choose and mail everyone in a single chat room. you can also update the files and share learning materials online. This simply makes the process easier and reduces the cost of physically printing and communicating the class notes to every person

Canvas review by <span>Allison Y.</span>
Allison Y.

"Good for colleges for getting information to members in classes"

What do you like best?

The ease with which you are able to send a message to the entire class or select individuals. Also, the ability to set up your own class page in whatever way is best for how you run it (files, folders, discussion boards etc.)

What do you dislike?

The system has gone down some which makes it difficult for students to gain access to important documents or slides they will be needing as well as for grading purposes so they are able to see how they did on exams and quizzes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well for what we need it for and haven't had too many overall problems with it - most students seem to enjoy the program and ability to use it freely too

Not necessarily business problems but it makes getting the information out to students much easier than other softwares. It's also something that is pretty user friendly so even if it is a person's first time on either side of it, you are able to figure out how to run it, upload files, put out announcements.

Canvas review by <span>Gail I.</span>
Gail I.

"Versatile Learning Platform"

What do you like best?

One of the best components of Canvas is the ability to integrate a variety of media into the learning experience (videos, audio files, etc.) Another great aspect is the cleanness of the web pages, lack of distracting clutter which makes for a more focused learning environment.

What do you dislike?

Navigation from one page to another can be awkward, at times one must go up levels to find hierarchical menus. Often I would find myself starting from the home page again just to find a particular page. There are also an excessive amount of items on the menu that possibly could be subcategories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Canvas as an excellent software interface for collaborative projects, courses and classes. The interactive possibilities, ability to upload and download a variety of media and the ease of use are all big benefits.

At our institution we are utilizing Canvas to offer online and hybrid courses to students. We previously used Blackboard more often and have now fully transferred our classes over. The online experience has been upgraded substantially with Canvas.

Canvas review by <span>Kaitlin B.</span>
Kaitlin B.

"User-friendly but a slight learning curve--communicate in person with users first"

What do you like best?

I like how easily I manage classroom tasks like putting students into groups, organizing my gradebook, putting students into peer review pairs. A favorite feature is that students get alerts for new assignments information and due dates, making students more dependent on alerts than my mention of deadlines in class (which may be missed). I often teach repeat classes, and it is very easy to copy and edit a former course. I used to do most of this with Microsoft Word, paper copies, etc., because previous software was unnecessarily complicated. Canvas is much more user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

There's a few things you wouldn't necessarily know/notice, even with taking a tutorial (I strongly suggest taking a tutorial either online or with your institution, this was very helpful in the initial setup). For instance, from my standpoint of uploading files and assignments onto specific, carefully selected pages, I did not realize they were listed elsewhere in a very disorganized way (Files) until I read it in my formal student evaluations. I suggest asking students how THEY use the interface, and go over how you suggest they use it at the start of the course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see review about communicating with students in person about Canvas and its use.

As already stated, I use this in the classroom for classroom management, course organization, grading, and so forth. Now that I've overcome the fairly easy learning curve, I use it with ease to communicate with my students.

Canvas review by <span>Mike M.</span>
Mike M.

"Wonderful Academic Content Management System"

What do you like best?

I teach at two schools as an adjunct (while working full time as a software developer.) The first school I teach at had their own content management system for its courses (with development being managed in house.) I took a position at another school and immediately got used to Canvas. Two years later the first school finally switched over to using Canvas themselves.

Having used Canvas for two years, the experience is a pleasure. Managing files/modules is very easy. I can easily message any student using Canvas, set up assignments (with due dates and drop boxes), grade assignments and give students immediate feedback on their work. Canvas has many other features as well under the hood, but one thing very nice they offer is an excellent iOS app. I can message students easily from the app, and will also receive notifications whenever they submit an assignment. I believe Canvas also offers an Android app, though I have no experience using it. In either case, the web applications and the mobile apps make student instructor collaboration an excellent experience.

What do you dislike?

If I had to nitpick on some features, one is with the course attendance. Each time I take attendance, it records a new assignment I ultimately need to delete. Also there really isn't any clear way to setup extra credit assignments (it's more of a hack to make this work.) Lastly the mobile app doesn't contain all of the full features that their desktop/web application offers.

One more feature, I used Canvas' scheduling feature to block off times for students to register for group projects. Students were unfortunately able to register for the same time, and that ultimately threw off my schedule (I use Google Docs for the time being until I know that this is fixed.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is the ultimate course management system. Many schools are switching over to using Canvas, and the right thing to do is to go with the flow and do the same.

The main reason I love Canvas is their "Speed Grader." I'm able to provide feedback to the students immediately with each assignment. This eliminated me having to print out assignments previously and grade everything by hand (plenty of paper is being saved now thanks to Canvas.)

Canvas review by <span>Natalie B.</span>
Natalie B.

"Canvas for school"

What do you like best?

I like being able to access all of my class assignments in one place. It makes it easy to know where to submit assignments, it provides one place to look at syllabi and know what assignments are due, and I like how you can create settings to have any messages or announcements sent on Canvas to your email as well.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about the site itself - however, I do have some teachers that find it confusing in terms of publishing information and knowing whether or not they have set the class up correctly so that students are able to submit assignments. Therefore, some of my teachers do not utilize Canvas much, and that can be frustrating to have some teachers using it and some not.

I access grad school assignments on Canvas. The main benefit is having all of my class information in one place from semester to semester.

Canvas review by <span>Jennifer R.</span>
Jennifer R.

"Good app for students"

What do you like best?

Canvas keeps all my course modules organized, with schedules, documents, contact information, course materials, etc. The ease of communicating with faculty within the app is a great feature, as are the quizzes.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes hard for me to find things within Canvas if I am not sure exactly where to look. I would like to get more notifications about quizzes so I realize with plenty of time that I have an assignment due.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Communicate with faculty in charge of putting materials on Canvas in regards to any issues encountered when looking for documents, schedules, videos, texts, etc. It can sometimes be hard to find things when you're not sure what you're looking for, but typically other students and faculty members will know what is available and where to find it. There are quizzes available through this app, but sometimes it is easy to miss when there is an assignment as you don't always get notifications about them. Communication with other members on Canvas is very easy to figure out. I have not tried to connect with other students but sending messages to faculty within each module is made simple, and you are able to answer people on Canvas by replying directly to emails that are forwarded to you.

Students have benefitted from this software by putting all course documents in one place instead of having to disseminate them among students and faculty in different websites, media, programs, etc.

Canvas review by <span>Joseph A.</span>
Joseph A.

"Canvas Review"

What do you like best?

Canvas provides easy integration of courses and training material. I love that I can add videos to my lectures on canvas to make it easier for students to visualize the content. It is very user friendly and the support services provided by them are absolutely amazing as well!

I would highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes because of enormous amount of the features provided by it, it can be very hard to navigate through canvas, which is why I end up leaning more towards Blackboard for content management. It involves a lot of trials and errors before you can actually get the hang of it. Nevertheless, once you get how to use it, it is totally worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to learn it the best you can. It is worth it.

I use it to update my students about Organic Chemistry lectures and my review sessions.

Canvas review by <span>Mark L.</span>
Mark L.

"Canvas - A great LMS"

What do you like best?

I have used Cavas for a few yesrs now, the previous LMS I used was not as intuitive are adaptive. I love the ease of setting up discussions, and content pages. You do not need to know HTML to design a great looking page, but if you do that is a plus. I love the way Cavas intergrates iwth third party software.

What do you dislike?

I am not as impressed wiht the discussions. I think they could make them more dynamic and more "Facebook" like. I would like to see forums that can be used throughout the modules in the curse.

Definitely financial benefits. The cost is way less than what we had previously. It also is very easy to use across schools..

Canvas review by User

"Canvas Instructure Review"

What do you like best?

Canvas makes it seamless for professors, educators and students to connect with each other online and organize the classroom in a virtual space.

The ability to conveniently share class lectures, notes, announcements to students and update/post grades without delay made it a highly valuable product for us. Furthermore, the navigation, features and GUI are very friendly and made Canvas an easy choice.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to get the hang of it initially but with time and usage, the platform becomes easier to command. The experience has been good and I don't have any particular things to dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to platforms like Moodle and Blackboard, Canvas provides an array of extra features which makes it a very good education/classroom management tool available in the market.

Using Canvas as the primary class management platform for our school.

Canvas review by <span>Farzan S.</span>
Farzan S.

"Canvas is a MUST for any university!"

What do you like best?

Canvas allows us to communicate with professors, students and course TAs in a timely and efficient manner. Also, its a great resource to consolidate all course materials (lectures, assignments, syllabus etc) and review course grades as the semesters moves forward. Overall, it's been a great experience using Canvas.

What do you dislike?

I feel it can be improved by including options for video conferencing between students and/or sharing video/audio that can be played on the website (instead of downloading them and playing on a media player).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Early adoption by faculty and staff is very important before moving to student adoption.

It has been extremely useful for course cataloging, and improving course speicifc communication between students and professors. Also, it serves as an excellent database of all course content that can be revisited at any time to refresh ourselves of the course.

Canvas review by <span>Michael G.</span>
Michael G.

"Nice look, but hard to understand"

What do you like best?

The clean look, white space, mobile app is helpful for accessibility. There a lot of great integrative features that make the classroom experience much more engaging and less stressful throughout the various milestones in the semester.

What do you dislike?

The app does not send notifications even when they are enabled! It's also difficult to create new threads, not very intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the settings are right and make sure you are communicating in the correct group. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between different message threads.

I use Canvas at my University graduate classes. It's a helpful place to store files and have group conversations, but as a whole, the class was not notified of many updates because the app does not push notifications even when they are enabled. This caused a lot of communication issues throughout the course.

Canvas review by <span>Joey T.</span>
Joey T.

"Canvas: A Tool for Academia Instruction"

What do you like best?

We used Blackboard in the past at Clemson, so some of my review will be a comparison. Canvas has ease of use, speed grading, multiple submission methods, graphic interface is superior.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our school system, Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the quizzes, adding rubrics for grading, speed grading, and other assessment tools. It's worth it. Also, use the inbox/mail feature, it's really nice.

I figured out how to have students submit assignments into Canvas, that had to be submitted in paper in the past. I taught a class of 180 students, and sorting alphabetically, reading through and grading on paper, then transferring that grade to blackboard took too long. Now students submit through Canvas, I grade in Canvas, and the grade is added to my gradebook.

Canvas review by <span>Wade A.</span>
Wade A.

"Another Car with Great Bells and Whistles"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of the Canvas is the API's that allow me to create and automate. The Canvas system is a great LMS that makes it easy for students to interact and engage. The mobile app helps keep both student and teachers connected.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the number of clicks as a faculty member to create certain content or access certain information. One example is the gradebook when I go to put a grade and comment for an assignment from the gradebook (the grid page) I receive a dialogue box where I can put the grade and comment but they have separate buttons for submission so I cannot do them both at the same time.

Also it would be nice to be able to access quiz question banks from the quizzes that utilize them. This would all me to edit a quiz from a module and then edit the question bank(s) associated with the quiz.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product. Take time to explore it.

I use it to teach my courses. In one entry level programming course I realized the APIs so that I could create an autograder that took my grading time from 1-2 hours a week to about 15 seconds a week.

Canvas review by <span>Misty J.</span>
Misty J.

"Canvas User Experience"

What do you like best?

Canvas is user friendly, while still providing robust learning options. It is K-12 friendly while also providing an excellent platform for Professional Learning, campus support, and more. I also love the amazing customer support that we receive. My CSMs have all been amazing!

What do you dislike?

I wish some of the add-ons, such as Arc, Bridge, Practice, etc were included in the base price of Canvas so that we could utilize all these tools without the cost-prohibitive nature. I would love to be able to use these tools in conjunction with the way we already use Canvas in our district.

Canvas has allowed us to provide personalized learning to our teachers, a robust blended environment for our students, and a way to integrate many other products we are already using. Benefits have been an increase in our modeling of online and blended instruction strategies for our teachers. I also love that Canvas integrates with our SIS, so our teachers don't have to create classes or import students.

Canvas review by <span>Francie M.</span>
Francie M.

"Use Canvas it Rocks!"

What do you like best?

I like that Canvas is always updating to stay relevant and updated /they listen to what the users have ti say and use it if they can., The conference has been an eye opener of how much if Canvas I haven't seen yet. I love that we can keep classes for a longer time and go back to look at them or use the assignments. Being able to see what I have done, then going back to update it as needed. It cuts down on screen time.

What do you dislike?

Canvas works best with Firefox but i prefer Google Chrome. I'd like it to be more user friendly with google. There isn't much to dislike about the program.

I teach in higher education and love it for my hybrid and flipped classes. The ease of use is great. I just started using attendance and love it.

My eLearning team is great and easy to work with. They keep updated on what is happening in Canvas and share it with faculty.

I like being able to put my lectures online and use more time in the class for the hands on learning.

Canvas review by <span>Laura S.</span>
Laura S.

"Intuitive "

What do you like best?

We are an online k-12 school and we have used Moodle for many years. The limitations of the system lead us to look for a new system. Canvas was an easy choice as teachers and students alike chose Canvas as easy to edit, manipulate and navigate.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of elements of the system that require additional support and help with implementation but this can be explored over time. It might be good to train trainers to only show and teach basic elements first and then have different levels of training that move up tiers of expertise. Sometimes, the teachers see an element they want to try that ends up causing more stress for them in the end because they just were not ready for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See what your curriculum really looks like and functions in the system. Most demos were for self created curriculum, not purchased.

Our goal is to make learning and information easier for students and parents. If an LMS can minimize the technical issues and navigation problems and allow them to focus on the real issues such as learning and achievement, then we are successful. We also want to provide teachers with as close to a face to face experience as possible and Canvas has allowed us to move closer to that.

Canvas review by <span>Brian B.</span>
Brian B.

"Review from an English 12 teacher"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to build modules and have course content readily available and accessible for students at all time. I also think that Canvas allows me to keep my classroom organized in a manner that allows me to experiment and try new things with my students.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the peer review features. I think that it's clunky, for lack of a better term, and students aren't able to get feedback from students on their writing or projects in a truly meaningful way. I have used Turnitin.com in the past, and I know the two are compatible, but I think that some of the interfaces and features of the peer review/peer edit process could be revised.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend for educational purposes. I can't speak to some of the other parts of this, but as a regular user and someone who has been a part of training others to use this product, I have nothing but good things to say. I'll continue to hope that I can work with Canvas in the future at different positions.

The biggest things that have been solved is organizing my department and share information in a more meaningful way with people who are a part of the language arts department that I oversee.

Canvas review by <span>David Z.</span>
David Z.

"Lots of great features with some mobile bumps"

What do you like best?

Canvas is a very flexible tool for creating online content. The ability to build modules and/or pages allows us to use Canvas at many levels. It also has many features from quizzes to discussions to announcements that make it a full functioning tool. In addition, the open source aspect that allows many other products to work with it is great!

What do you dislike?

We are an iPad district. The iOS mobile app is problematic. Often there are features that don't work in the app and students have to bump to the web. This creates two experiences that can be inconsistent and confusing. Another minor issue we have is in the edit tool. It forces us to scroll through all of the content rather than being able to search quickly. For example, when adding a link to a page, you have to scroll through all the pages. This is inefficient.

Canvas has allowed us to use mobile devices to provide online content in blended learning environments for students grades 4-12. We also use it to provide PD to teachers. In many ways, this has improved our communication with parents as they can have more visibility into what students are learning and see their work and progress.

Canvas review by <span>Frederick K.</span>
Frederick K.

"Fire Bad, Canvas Good"

What do you like best?

I do not have a single best thing that I like about Canvas. I have a list, though. I like that it looks pretty good (and when designed well using the Rich Textbox Editor, it can look REALLY good). I like that the company is responsive. I like that Canvas updates so often, so regularly, and without service interruption. I love the concept of tech not being an impediment to teaching, which Instructure really seems to follow. I really, really like the product, the community, and the company. There is a playfulness to both the company and the product that is infectious and pleasant, and I think it ultimately makes things more playful for instructors and students. If I had a lot of problems with it, I would say. But I don't.

What do you dislike?

In all sincerity: there is little to dislike. I am looking forward to a full-blown Quizzes.Next engine to use ASAP. That enhanced functionality will make the lives of my clients (and therefore my life) much easier. I would like for the Syllabus tool to have a "Page History" like Pages do. I'm drawing a blank otherwise, but I'm not much of a nitpicker. My satisfaction is high.

I do not handle that side of things. That having been said, every single interaction with a business representative (client representative, etc.) has been very strong. I'm not privvy to the nitty gritty of the business side, but as someone who has sat in on those meetngs, the Instructure folks are always professional and poised.

Canvas review by <span>Rosie S.</span>
Rosie S.

"Best LMS for student learning experiences"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the ease of use for students to always know what is due when. Having a To-Do list, Calendar events, numerical icons for messages, posts, etc. helps push the learner along the spectrum to organize and stay on top of the course expectations.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike about Canvas. From an admin perspective, never before have we had the ability to dig deep into analytics, nor the ability to act as a user with such ease for troubleshooting purposes. Guess I would like to see page views from mobile devices as we get asked whether or not a student viewed a certain page and we cannot definitely answer if they viewed it on a mobile device. We recently discovered from our CSM that our users are heavy mobile users and this would help.

Canvas provides an online learning environment for our institution whether instructors teach fully online, blended, or even face to face. The system provides a one stop service for course content and academic success.

Canvas review by <span>Jerrod M.</span>
Jerrod M.

"Excellent application for phone and tablets."

What do you like best?

Everything happens in one place: communication, sorting, creating tasks, downloading files, etc. Suitable for use with gadgets. There is a lot of universality in terms of tracking individual students and the entire class at the same time.

What do you dislike?

There are difficulties when viewing some documents through the application on a cellular device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend that anyone who teaches the course to use the canvas. This requires the guessing of the work of electronic documents and the timely transfer of tasks. I like the opportunity he creates for student discussion, the timing and the provision of class resources to students. Very easy to use compared to other analogs.

Communication with students, providing one centralized place for students to have access to course materials, messages, assessments, feedback, etc.

Canvas review by <span>Jessica B.</span>
Jessica B.

"Super user friendly and free if using own content!"

What do you like best?

I love that this is so easy to use! You can mould and shape it to your needs and completely change all your learning modules as you grow and develop the course..

This allows you to add content module by module (external URLs, files, images, etc).

You can add tests and assignments, class syllabi etc. You can add each student by email.

Did I mention its free to use if you are building your own content? You can get a 30 day trial for previously built materials so if you are struggling or lacking time this might be a great option for new teachers who want to ensure they have enough for their students to go on.

What do you dislike?

uploading and searching through the files you have uploaded to add them into the modules is a bit of a pain. I wish you could just create a user class code to give to all your students so that they could access the site instead of having to add them all manually by email

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great option for a LMS, easy to use and you have the option to buy previosly built content for course materials. If you are not buying previously built content and you are building your own content then you do not have to pay to use the program. They do offer a 30 day free trial to see if the previously loaded content is a good fit for you.

LMS for my dual credit students who dont have access to the colleges blackboard site..

Canvas review by <span>J Lee H.</span>
J Lee H.

"Modern Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

Canvas keeps things up to date, unlike some other LMS offerings that look old. A big reason we chose Canvas was because of its ease of connecting students outside of the environment -- with their cell phones and email, as well as other services such as Google Drive. The company has a modern, informal and communal feel, where Canvas users and employees interact regularly; Canvas is definitely in touch with its customers.

What do you dislike?

The downside of keeping things up to date is that things change quite frequently, which sometimes can be disorienting, but mostly the changes are gradual. Canvas serves a wide variety of institutions, so quite often they have to juggle the needs of diverse customers in terms of what things they will improve or features they will add. Canvas has some weaknesses in managing large numbers of courses and dealing with past courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The good thing about Canvas is that they are a rather young company -- I believe they started in 2011, and we signed our first contract with them in 2012. The advantage to being young is that they aren't stuck in their ways -- they are very flexible and open to ideas. The disadvantage is that they are still learning how to deal with a lot of things that schools need. But they definitely listen and diligently seek to solve issues.

Our school is 100% online. When we were looking for a new curriculum in 2012, we decided that we liked Edgenuity best. However, Edgenuity's LMS was too limited. For example, students could only message students in their class, and they couldn't have messages in the system forwarded to their regular email or cellphones. Other communication factors, such as discussion groups, collaboration, and conferencing were much more modern and easier to use in Canvas. Also, we wanted to have the ability to add our own classes, which we could not do with Edgenuity. We looked at other learning management systems as other possibilities to work with Edgenuity, but Canvas was the clear winner.

A major reason we chose Canvas was that it offered the ability for students to message anyone else in the school. A couple years later, they changed their communication system and deleted this feature, which was frustrating to us. However, our Canvas rep worked closely with us to find a workaround to the situation, though there are still limitations with the new communication system that did not exist in the old.

We have an account rep that I have met with every month, though now that's changing to every quarter, which is fine since we are now quite settled with the system, so quarterly is frequent enough for 1-on-1 meetings. The reps have always listened carefully and done everything they can to help meet our needs.

Canvas has a setup that allows schools to easily brand their Canvas instance, which I really like. Our login page and all of our other pages are clearly branded with our logo and school colors, and I can change those aspects on my own (without web programming skills).

Since our curriculum is in Edgenuity, we have little experience with many of the aspects of Canvas, such as course modules, grades, outcomes, etc. What little we have done in that realm has been easy to accomplish. We use Canvas to set up simple courses such as a writing workshop, a senior capstone project, and non-academic things like the student newspaper team, and most importantly, homeroom. It is through homeroom that all students can communicate with each other via live chat or discussion boards, or private messaging.

Canvas review by <span>Kellyn M.</span>
Kellyn M.

"Great Way to Interact with Students, Teachers, and Colleagues/Peers!"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how interactive and user friendly Canvas is - it is an ideal platform to host file sharing and discussion for a group outside of more obvious choices (ie. Google Groups).

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult adding multiple files at a time - that could just be because I like to have them in a particular order, but it would be nice if there was a "drag" feature where you could move files to upload in a particular order. It would also be nice if, as the uploader, you were able to see past submissions in the desktop browser. I think you can in the app, and I know you can on the teacher/supervisor's end, but on the student/submitters end it would be advantageous to be able to view and download past submissions within the submission page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a student/user, you will find a system in Canvas that works for you. There are different homepage views available such as assignments/announcements and "course cards", the calendar is wonderful and allows you to view dates for all of your courses/job assignments or just one course/job assignment. Be sure to take advantage of the means of communication it provides with your peers/professors/supervisors/etc!

I use Canvas both as a student and a mentor at UNCC. It is a wonderful way to share files with teachers and superiors, and a great way to communicate ideas with my peers/colleagues.

Canvas review by <span>Tiffanesha W.</span>
Tiffanesha W.

"Great Resource for Instructors and Administrators"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Canvas is the platform itself. The platform allows you to easily upload documents into organized categories, send announcements to students and others users, as well as grade assignments online and provide students with feedback. It is even easy to collaborate with the software, and have students work on group projects.

What do you dislike?

The system does not retain the course or allow the students to access the course and its content after the end of a semester. In order to keep records of grades and comments on assignments, I have to store them elsewhere, and respond to students with those files if they request them, since they are not able to access them post-semester.

Canvas makes it easy to upload and share course materials, communicate with course participants, and track assignments along with ascertaining that there is no plagiarism involved.

Canvas review by <span>Natalie (Jeong Min) K.</span>
Natalie (Jeong Min) K.

"good platform for educational organization/interaction"

What do you like best?

it is very usable by a big number of people of hundreds. it is organized well and is designed well, simple and pretty. you can add many features to the site, such as collaborating threads and Echo360 lecture capture. I have been using this program for years and have been satisfied with the interface and support.

What do you dislike?

the mobile app does not support all types of documents i dont think so i cannot access certain (most) documents related to my courses on my phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is a very widely used program for high education institutions. you should definitely look into it if you are not already using canvas

user interface, communication with organizers and also among users. uploading documents and links. attaching videos, etc

Canvas review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Canvas is great for online K-12+ classes!"

What do you like best?

I love the varying functionality of Canvas. Classes can include multimedia education tools, which is very important in today's world! There are also a range of varying tools including assignment submissions, quizzes, forums, etc. I love the Canvas Catalog feature for higher education, which allows students to register for courses.

What do you dislike?

I think the analytics are very much lacking with Canvas and I wish there were more insights into user data. A workaround to this is using a tailored LRS, but I do wish Canvas had some of this already built in. Also, Canvas is not so great when it comes to handling hybrid courses. I wish there were some more options for courses that occur both online and in-person. Additionally, I wish that Canvas allowed for more tailoring. There are messages that go out to students that cannot be tailored (e.g. notice of an upcoming deadline). The interface is not very intuitive and cannot be modified for the users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I advise that users considering Canvas definitely request a sandbox version or trial to ensure it's a good fit for your business/school. Canvas is great when you are sure of your needs and implement the product correctly!

My business is currently using Canvas as a corporate training tool, for which Canvas has solved for to some extent. I think that because there are so many functions within Canvas, it does allow for some flexibility considering the unique nature of our corporate trainings. Some major benefits of using Canvas in this way is absolutely its multi-functionality. We primarily use Canvas to house pre-work, session materials, and post-work for our live trainings. This often includes readings, presentations, other documents, surveys/quizzes, and assessments.

Canvas review by <span>Seth J.</span>
Seth J.

"Much better than the alternatives"

What do you like best?

I've used Blackboard and Moodle, but Canvas is by far the best. The abilities it gives you to set up your course in different ways are very powerful. I like the options that are available for quizzes, and the gradebook is pretty flexible.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook could use a few more options, like do not count a grade, but still show it or only count points up to a certain maximum. I'd like to be able to rename sections like "quizzes" to something like "homework" which is what I use it for.

I use canvas to share files with my students, administer homework and keep my gradebook. It allows students real-time information on how they are doing and what they need to complete in my courses.

Canvas review by <span>Elizabeth F.</span>
Elizabeth F.

"Improvement over Chalk"

What do you like best?

The interface is more intuitive and easier to use than Chalk and Blackboard, at least. Managing and customizing a course site is also much easier.

What do you dislike?

When someone sends me a message on Canvas, I only receive an email notice about it about one in ten times. They're not going to my spam or trash folders; they're never received.

I do not use the feature that allows me to comment on assignments within the app, because students can see those comments before I'm even done. They're also next to impossible to edit. When grading essays, this is impractical.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Probably the best you can hope for

course management

organizational features are very good

communicating with students without risk of violating FERPA

Canvas review by <span>Rory D.</span>
Rory D.

"Good GUI but sometimes cumberson"

What do you like best?

I like the ease with which I can author content for assignments, syllabi, and discussion board. I also like the intuitive nature of document linking and the fact that the platform stores documents for future use in an easy to access format.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the size of the editing window is not responsive to the size of the window in which I have opened Canvas. The way in which assignments are displayed on the administrator end is also not as easy to view as it could be.

My university recently switched from BlackBoard to Canvas. Canvas is significantly more user-friendly and its user interface is much smoother than our previous platform's.

Canvas review by <span>Jennifer B.</span>
Jennifer B.

"Learning Management System with Great Interface But Challenges"

What do you like best?

Canvas was a huge step up from some other LMS's that I'd used before, such as Cornerstone On Demand and Element K. The interface was clean and easy to change. The organizational structure was logical and easy to adjust. The way that the system was set up made it possible for me to manage 25+ courses at a time, with daily adjustments, customizations and still have time to explore ways to expand our features. The "add-ons" that were integrated with the system were a nice plus as well; the LMS could be integrated with a wide range of well-known products such as TurnItIn.

What do you dislike?

I ran into some real challenges when using Canvas. Since I had essentially a "master" course that needed to be copied to multiple location-based courses, I used the features in Canvas to copy the course as a whole and then went into individual courses to make changes, and then I often had to copy tests or assignments within a course. Little did I know that there were what I would consider bugs in the system that caused critical content (including assignments that people were already working on) to be overwritten and deleted. This was a disastrous situation that happened to me twice. The first time I couldn't imagine what had happened; the second time, I started to catch on. When I reached out to customer support for assistance, some were very helpful (especially in the first totally confusing disaster) but ultimately, they didn't recognize that this was a bug, that it was inadequately documented, and that it was illogical functionality. Our Customer Service Agent was new to her role and ineffective, so our monthly checkins did little to increase my confidence in using the product. I was always waiting for the next disaster to take place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make great use of the help documentation but if something doesn't feel right, make sure to speak up. I found some serious issues that Canvas did not consider bugs but which were problematic for my use of the system.

I worked for an organization that provided professional development training for educators across the country. This LMS (like any other LMS) provided the ability to centrally manage content for participants and instructors who were geographically dispersed. Only an LMS (or other visually-oriented database system with LMS capabilities) can effectively handle this challenge.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas great for school courses and work"

What do you like best?

I like many aspects of Canvas. The dashboard makes it easy for me to navigate to the courses I am in and to see what I have due soon. I like the inbox system that allows easy communication with other people in the same class or to my instructors. In my work environment, Canvas makes it simple for me to see what certifications I have due and when my continuing education needs to be done.

What do you dislike?

One aspect of canvas I do not like is the notifications. When you first sign up, you get emails for everything! The only way I have found to turn them off is to go all the way to my settings tab. It might be better to start off with fewer notifications sent and have people turn them on as they need them.

My business is using canvas to store and conduct all the continuing education courses needed. Canvas does a good job at notifying you when you need to complete something because a due date is getting close.

Canvas review by <span>Jehn K.</span>
Jehn K.

"Pretty great LMS"

What do you like best?

As a Teaching Assistant, I like how both I and the professor can comment on students' assignments. Furthermore, graders can leave comments and mark up the assignments so students can see the changes they can make for future projects. The projected grade tool is also another nice feature.

What do you dislike?

Files sometimes load slow or the server crashes and students cannot submit their assignments. Also, it's hard to read feedback on assignments on mobile.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Navigating the software can become confusing at times, but overall, it's a great way to grade assignments and manage courses.

It's a great way to manage multiple courses at once and easily grade assignments with the speed grader.

Canvas review by <span>Chang B.</span>
Chang B.

"Good software for education"

What do you like best?

The tools present info in a very effective way. I like that I can see very clearly assignments, notice and of course other important info. I do like it.

What do you dislike?

I have no cons to share with the product. When issues are coming up. I can sort it out with just one click, to contact support service which works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Software which is easy to use. I would like to admit simple interface and powerful set. We are all students and teachers find it useful. I recommend it to you.

Helps us a lot. We can be sure that we provide an environment of online-learning.Perfect for both of side teacher and the students. With lecture videos, our job becomes more powerful.

Canvas review by <span>Mark M.</span>
Mark M.

"canvas LMs"

What do you like best?

Really like the hyperlinking , modules, how emails can be sent automatically. the ease of which the syllabus and modules can be connected. The calendar view is great, it is generally easy to set up, the speedgrader is great, allows files to be uploaded and shared. the online grade book that can show when work has been submitted, when it is being graded and display a final or in-progress score, teachers and students can view current assignments and upcoming assignments, verify that work has been submitted and enjoy the peace of mind of a time stamp to prove when work was uploaded.

What do you dislike?

It is functional but buggy on anything but Chrome. the appointment scheduler needs work. does always register my appointments. the email is difficult. The interface on your end it is less intuitive ie not at all like gmail and very hard to locate emails sent to individuals, the sending of emails is also really complicated unlike gmail, the file page was weird - i had to provide access, it is hard to make folders. but the attendance was weird too. It could be less complicated also the app was no good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it.

Be sure to get proper training and use chrome. There are drawbacks but canvas is much easier to get into using than blackboard with very good functions. The assignments link with the dates on the schedule, students and teachers get reminders, there is some wonkiness on the discussions but othewise it is generally good.

communication of education principles across the web. Its generally good as an LMS it keeps students updated.

Canvas review by User

"Canvas LMS Instructor Perspective"

What do you like best?

The interface is clean and uncluttered, making it easy to locate what you need. There is more than one way to get to what you need. The Calendar is outstanding, even more clear than the syllabus for finding when due dates are.

What do you dislike?

The due date for a multi-due date assignment such as a discussion forum is fixed at only one due date, which causes no end of confusion to students. IN order to upload a graphic to any part of the course, you must scroll ALL the way to the top of the page for the menu on the right to find the images upload area. This would be much more convenient if it floated according to where you are on the page. Makes uploading graphics cumbersome and time consuming. Does NOT allow interactive pages- a real minus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As far as LMSs go this one is simple to use and has its drawbacks, as they all seem to. The apps on the devices are very helpful! It is not difficult to use, and the help is pretty good for tech. snafus. If you have a lot of interactivity aside from discussion boards, which function OK, do not consider this product at this point.

Canvas is a good solution for a company or school that uses an LMS for its courses. It has all of the typical issues all of the LMSs seem to have. It is not an interactive student-friendly way of learning.

Canvas review by Administrator

"Great for e-learning"

What do you like best?

I like that students are able to view PDFs on the page that they are posted on in Canvas without downloading the document. I also like the design/layout of the pages. The Speed Grader is super easy to use and makes grading a lot faster than in some other e-learning platforms.

What do you dislike?

Some of the navigation on the teacher side is less than ideal. It sometimes takes more clicking around than I think is necessary to go back and forth between different assignments/pages. I also don't like that the roll call (attendance function) automatically assigns points. Since I incorporate participation into my students' attendance grades, I'd like to use roll call to track participation but assign the points manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It isnt perfect, but I think it's innovative and will only get better.

Canvas has provided a cost-effective way to optimize e-learning for my students. In particular, it makes it easier for me to track their use of the course and I provides a more user-friendly design than our previous LMS.

Canvas review by <span>Marie B.</span>
Marie B.

"Simple learning curve, good for digital submissions"

What do you like best?

My university made a mandatory switch from to Canvas, but it was very easy to get used to.. Integrating grades with other platforms was simple, as was online hw and paper submissions -- it was very convenient to give feedback on papers through Canvas! There are a lot of small things that they pay attention to that made things a lot easier and whenever I had issues, support was helpful and quick.

What do you dislike?

Attendance is difficult. There is a built in way to do it, but it is not customizable at all and students can't view things, even for themselves. I also wish that it the deadline alert system was more obvious and that my syllabus and schedule was easier to input.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A new course management system is always difficult to get used to, but I think Canvas is smoother than most. Give yourself a little time to get used to the features.

Classroom integration.

Canvas review by <span>Kathy R.</span>
Kathy R.

"Best grades and feedback!"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the use of rubrics and multiple levels of feedback I have access to.

What do you dislike?

I feel like there are depths to Canvas that I will never find, because the platform is so huge.

I also don't love that students have more options to view content than I want them to. The often go straight to assignments no matter how much or in how many ways I say "use the modules! Use the modules!" I want more ways to lock that down.

I'm not sure I understand this question. As a member of teaching faculty, i don't have too many business problems.

Now, if you mean the management of students and work, I am learning more and more about course data and how that informs my practice and directs changes to my course and that is great.

Canvas review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Online teaching"

What do you like best?

You can easily move around on Canvas, and over all, it’s fun to use.

I am relatively a new user. My experience is from my impression teaching an online French class, and I realize some complaints may be the result of a lack of experience.

Canvas has a smooth feel, and I especially like using kaltuta video capture on Canvas.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I feel like I am going in circles and not finding what I need.

For example, I may accidentally go back to the start page, thereby having to search for the module I was on initiallly again. I feel like I spend a lot of time feeling like I am not really doing anything, just trying to navigate by « trial and error » clicking,

I may find a link that I want to send students, the question then becomes: how? By announcements, modules, messaging? There are almost too many options.

Online teaching is my only source of using canvas. It has a lot of potential for teaching, but can be intimidating at first.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Very Good, Easy to Use LMS"

What do you like best?

I like that the design of courses is very easy and that, while there are a lot of features, you are not overloaded with tools and options at every step. It is quite easy to set up, make grading groups, assignments, modules, etc. It's a very powerful LMS, but it feels "light".

What do you dislike?

There are two main things I dislike: First, there is no assignment distribution process like in Google Classroom where you can create a cloud-based document, distribute it, check on it periodically, and have students turn it in without them having to download it. Google Classroom is based around this feature and it is very convenient from both the teacher and students' perspectives. Second, I dislike how viewing assignments defaults to date rather than type. For students, viewing assignments can seem like an unruly mess and they often miss the button to reorganize their view.

Canvas allows us to design and deliver material and instruction for face to face, blended, and online courses.

Canvas review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Convenient for students, difficult for administrators"

What do you like best?

I use this software to check on my students and see how they are doing in their classes. It is helpful to be able to see everything that they see on their Canvas accounts - with the exception of personal messages.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that we have to scroll through every single class that our students have ever enrolled in. Sometimes, this is a senior who has taken 5 classes every single semester we have used Canvas. Also, there is no way to easily scroll through the multiple classes. You have to return to the home screen to search another class.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extremely helpful being able to see our students accounts, just wish there was an easier way to look at the current semesters classes.

I am using Canvas as a sort of 'ghost monitor.' I am able to ensure that my students are turning in all of their work and are staying on top of their assignments. The benefits are that we can see our students grades in real time and not have to have them in our offices to check grades.

Canvas review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Canvas LMS"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use for students, the ability to upload multiple documents in organized files as the parent sign up! I love how easy it is to comment on short answer quizzes.

What do you dislike?

It is not as intuitive to teachers as I would like. Many of my teacher friends still struggle with the platform. I don’t use modules because I have not had time to figure it out! I just use pages for now.

I despise the need to check to have quiz answers shuffled. I gave a quiz once where every correct answer was A. Lol

It took me a while to figure out the points for matching..it should be automatic 1 point per match.

Time management and organization is increased through the use of Canvas. Parent communication is easier and increased feeling of inclusion is a bonus. Ease of grading through auto upload of grades saves time and reduces teacher error.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"A great learning management system for students and instructors."

What do you like best?

I like how us students are able to submit assignments and messaging instructor without the hassle.

What do you dislike?

I notice flaws regarding the attachment feature. For example, the common issue i have with my clients were about attaching photos on to their post in the discussion page. Instead of using the link embed or post from the PC directory, the files has to be uploaded in the user's file category. This issue confuses users and most of them don't know that they could upload anything in their file category.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend every school system to start using Canvas.

As a student, using Canvas helps out the structure of the class. Beside gathering endless papers from an instructor and searching for the ones you need , we could access them simply by a few clicks from our devices. The benefit that Canvas delivers is time management. Users (students) are able to work on and submit assignment anywhere they are. There's also a calendar system which instructor can set for their students so they could see the class schedule by checking their calendar on Canvas.Also, they need to update their app for smartphones, their seems to be a problem with viewing/submitting assignments/ checking recent status of their classes then on the browser.

Canvas review by <span>Debra Y.</span>
Debra Y.

"Canvas: easy to navigate, great interface"

What do you like best?

Canvas is easy to navigate! All links are clearly marked but there is just enough redundancy so that the students are given enough reminders for assignments. Resources can be uploaded and downloaded easily. Students do not need to click through too many links to get to downloads.

What do you dislike?

There are not enough options to create a more aesthetic environment. Especially in the modules section, there is very little in the way of making the site a bit prettier!

Also, it would be nice to have a grading function where we can see a list of all students names and assignments in one page.

Creating an interactive online learning environment. Canvas is replacing Moodle and students have been reacting well!

Canvas review by <span>NM O.</span>
NM O.

"The Ever-improving LMS"

What do you like best?

Canvas is probably the best Learning Management System available for K-12 and Higher education. It has all of the features that someone teaching either completely online or face-to-face would want, including API for outside websites and classroom management capabilities. The grade book, the assignment creation, the rubric alignment, the quiz and assessment features are always improving. This is thanks to a massive online community of educators who actually use Canvas daily. Canvas has a free community where they welcome their users to make suggestions to each other and the software developers for improvements to the LMS's use. The software developers have created a system that takes the user's suggestions into account and can then apply it to the actual Canvas LMS in future updates.

What do you dislike?

Most issues come from educators wanting to use Canvas in a way it does not have the capability for. Many times users want the LMS to make their work even more simplified and it is just not something Canvas has put into its features yet. This is where making suggestions on the Canvas community comes in handy. Or, the user can simply ask the community on the discussion board and have an issue solved.

Higher Education Learning Management system for completely online and hybrid university-level courses

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"A huge improvement over Blackboard and similar LMS!"

What do you like best?

The intuitive user design is very helpful, an the built-in support features allow students and instructors to troubleshoot many questions that would have been fielded to Student Affairs or IT support in previous LMS implementations. One notable improvement over other LMS such as Blackboard is the versatile range of tools for communication, including shared calendars, private messaging, video chat, and document-sharing capabilities. The discussion boards are easy to implement for course activities, and the features for quizzing, assignment submission, and grading are dynamic and easy to understand for seasoned and new instructors.

What do you dislike?

Some faculty would argue that Canvas is more student-centered (example: many ways to access something in the course navigation as opposed to only one way), but generally the response has been positive. The discussion board feature is not well-threaded and could be improved. The ability to display assignments in the grade-book as points rather than percentages would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would recommend 100%.

Canvas is an excellent product, in particular for online learning, but supports all types of classrooms and instruction. It is very user-friendly and has much less bugs than previous LMS our institution has adopted. Designing courses is intuitive, and created shared shells for instructor resources, special types of classes (independent studies, practical field experiences), and spaces for advising student groups in an easy way. We were able to create individual Canvas shells for graduate faculty to use in advising their graduate student advisees. The communication tools are so versatile that students can do everything needed for the class within the environment.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Finally an intuitive learning management platform!"

What do you like best?

I love the calendar and speed grader functions. The calendar let’s students and instructors see all upcoming assignments and due dates for all their classes in one place. Speedgrader really does make grading speedier! It allows the instructor to move smoothly from one student’s assignment to the next, with student anonymous which I like for impartial grading. Assigning points is a breeze if you have put in a rubric to go with the assignment, plus you can leave comments right in each rubric section so students know exactly where they lost or gained points.

Overall, Canvas is just very smooth an intuitive to use. You can easily organize course materials into modules which is very convenient, and making quizzes and assignments in Canvas is also very easy. The layout is very visual and easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The platform can be glitchy sometimes, and creating rubrics is a pain. The integration with TurnItIn could be better. Also, there are sometimes problems when students have a peer reviewed assignment - some student experienced technical difficulties uploading their comments on other students’ work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to do a lot of peer reviews it might not be absolutely ideal, but in general it’s a great product. There are quite a few features so you can probably find almost anything you’re looking for!

A unified and intuitive learning management platform. For me as a teaching assistant in a major university, Canvas replaces Blackboard as a way to communicate with students, store and share course information, and run quizzes and assignments.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Useful as a Student, Amazing for a Teaching Assistant"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to upload and create modules on the software. It is also conducive with being able to provide visuals (i.e. graphs, images, and videos) to show to students and also to view as a student. I have interacted with canvas on the Teaching Assistant side, as well as, the student side. I have been extremely pleased.

What do you dislike?

There are two things that I do dislike about Canvas. One being that if the server goes down, the quality of the product suffers. Access to the modules, quizzes, calendar, etc. lack access. Another dislike lies within the inability to better facilitate groups. If a student creates their own group, it is hard to delete it on both the instructor's end and student's end.

One of the benefits that Canvas has provided is ease of facilitating, and being able to offer, more online classes. It has brought the University into the next generation with ease. Also, the newly implemented training segments that help put each user of the same page is superb, as well.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Overall, great learning management system"

What do you like best?

Canvas has many very useful functions that go beyond what our previous LMS had to offer. It is an all-in-one LMS that, for the most part, allows instructors to customize their courses as needed. It also has the capability to integrate with other online tools that students and instructors may already use.

What do you dislike?

Assignment rubrics have limited functionality (e.g., cannot change the direction of points from low to high or use verbal descriptors instead of numerical points), and the process of creating them is frustrating.

Unlike with our previous LMS, students are not able to see when an instructor has opened a submitted assignment.

Files cannot be directly uploaded into modules; rather, users must first upload to the Files page, then return to the Modules page to manually add and arrange them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the instructor/student guides and the Canvas Community, both on the Canvas website.

We are using Canvas as a learning management system for a large university. Overall, we've been able to meet most of our needs regarding course content sharing, communication, and assigning and grading.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Great tool for instructors and students"

What do you like best?

Canvas makes it easy for instructors to share files and communicate with students. Instructors can also create electronic assignments and quizzes to reduce paper assignments which eases the grading process. The Canvas email system is an easy to use communication platform and is a better alternative to the typically cluttered standard email. Instructors are more likely to see Canvas email and can send emails to students by course and course section.

What do you dislike?

The user side for instructors can be difficult to use on occasion. For example, files occasionally never post or post too early due to the multiple boxes that need to be checked and specified. Instructors might also miss comments about assignments and grades due to the lack of notifications for those assignments. Folders with multiple files can be overwhelming for students as the semester goes on if instructors are not organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much more user friendly than other related education platforms, but it is still reliant on instructor competence.

Direct access to files for students and easy to use communication tools. Eliminates questions about late assignments with electronic submissions.

Canvas review by <span>Jim T.</span>
Jim T.

"The ideas are great but the execution has often been a let down"

What do you like best?

The ability to embed video. Self pacing options

What do you dislike?

The lack of google integration on the iPad. Also, not all features work on the iPad that do on the laptop and its hard to keep track of what works were. The Google integration on the laptops is not reliable. Many assignments that we use the LTI for to make a copy end up not rendering correctly in speed grader. MasteryPaths - great idea, but very fragile. If an assignment is ever tweaked or added to everything breaks. Honestly, sometimes everything breaks even when things are not tweaked. Support reps have told me that it is fragile and it's over a year and half later.

We have one place that all teachers, students, and parents go. We like being able to share and having directions.

Canvas review by <span>Susan S.</span>
Susan S.

"online discussions"

What do you like best?

I work with enrichment middle school students. I liked the ability to use discussion posts with them. I wanted to give them the experience of a distance learning (which was my first experience with such a thing) online discussion experience. It also allows me to assess their analysis of the questions I pose along with their digital citizenship.

What do you dislike?

It isn't so much a problem with Canvas itself as much as it is a middle schooler's discomfort with a new platform. We are in the process of switching to Canvas from Google Classroom.

I am not sure what you mean by this question. With my students, I like having the ability to post things for them that they can find when they are at home. No more saying I forgot the sheet at school!

Canvas review by <span>Katelyn H.</span>
Katelyn H.

"A great online education platform that is very user friendly"

What do you like best?

Everything is very eye-catching. Unlike other similar platforms, Canvas boasts an easy to read calendar that automatically checks off assignments once they're completed. This aspect helps students ensure they have completed the assignment to the extent in which the professor assigns it. The app is an added bonus that helps learning easy to manage on the go.

What do you dislike?

The notification setting page is difficult to maneuver as a new user. It's sometimes hard to set notifications in the way that you want them, and either end up with too many notifications or not enough. Once a student gets acquainted with Canvas, it's much easier to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give it a try! We were skeptical when first implementing Canvas, but we're so glad we did! It has made assigning work and implementing online classes so much easier. It's a huge difference from other programs, but it's worth the small learning curve!

Canvas allows you to organize your classes in a very student centered manner. It is very easy for students to find their assignments, progress through lessons, and get feedback from their instructors. It is much more visually pleasing than other platforms and boasts a great app feature, which some other programs lack.

"Canvas is easy to use"

What do you like best?

The phone app because I can keep track of everything on the go as well. Also, the fact that it has a calendar sync function to alert students when their assignments are due. One other thing is the to-do list. It was a nice reminder when I had quizzes or other assignments ready to grade.

What do you dislike?

The Roll Call Attendance. I can't figure out how to get rid of it and I wanted to take attendance in a different way. Sometimes, the navigation is a little bit tricky to get from one area to the other, but nothing terrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the correct app for your phone depending on how you use the software - I realized I downloaded the student version of the phone app instead of the teacher one at first.

It has been a really helpful tool for my students to know which assignments are due when because there is a calendar feature on the app. It can sync with their calendars. I find I get less questions about assignments and more are turned in on time because of it.

Canvas review by <span>Susan S.</span>
Susan S.

"Canvas - Creating a Community"

What do you like best?

Canvas creates a one stop hub for all necessary documents, training, reference materials; as well as a platform for collaboration. Through Canvas, the ability to access all various communities and related information is easily organized and accessed through one login and password. When I log in to Canvas, I can easily see updated information, deadlines, and locate important information. The search tool allows information to be accessed through Canvas versus downloading and storing in a separate location. Canvas has streamlined my professional life.

What do you dislike?

Because of the hierarchy of Canvas, sometimes it can be challenging to locate where necessary information is stored. This has been made easier with the addition of a search button, but often you must search the exact terms versus an approximation.

I manage the early intervention services for children throughout my district, and I am responsible for communicating with a team of itinerant teachers. Canvas has made accessing and sharing information so much easier. It has created a single forum for individuals scattered miles apart.

Canvas review by <span>Jonathon C.</span>
Jonathon C.

"Very handy tool to help with course management"

What do you like best?

I enjoy this software because it makes it easy to manage everything when it comes to your course work so that nothing gets forgotten and can easily see how you are doing in the classes that are being taken.

What do you dislike?

I dont really see anything wrong with this product. It is a very user handy product and cant complain about the functionality of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful tool in order to manage course work for students.

Business benefits of the product includes things being very user friendly for everyone involved with the course work and being able to solve problems with other students that may be having issues in the classes.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas allows students and instructors to communicate, organize, and access resources"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to download files by batch rather than individually. I appreciate being able to see my grades for individual assignments in comparison to the class norms.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish there were a better way to organize course files so that we could see the syllabus and the files required to complete assignments in a more integrated manner. I also wish there were a way to reorganize classes on the dashboard (maybe there is, but I haven't found such a way yet). It would also be great if the Canvas calendar were able to sync with Google calendar or iCalendar -- if there is a way to do that, I have not yet found it.

Assigning and completing assignments is easy with Canvas. Canvas also allows students and instructors to communicate via a means other than email, which is very helpful in reducing the number of emails you need to save in your actual email inbox.

Canvas review by <span>Dominique B.</span>
Dominique B.

"Perfect for School"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and simple to navigate. You can send emails to anyone in your class and create quizzes for everyone to use as a study aid. I personally created numerous quizzes to help my students succeed in class.

What do you dislike?

I would like it to have a better notification system. I tried to receive notifications from my online office hours, it was difficult to get messages stating that a student had emailed me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good system for a school.

It allows me to check my grades as well as connect with my students. I didn't realize it had a troubleshooting system already online that is simple to use.

Canvas review by <span>Lizabeth S.</span>
Lizabeth S.

"Canvas is great for students"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to see updates from professors, it's easy to get emails with the updates that we need to know about for class, and it's easy to see our grades.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the massive amount of notifications on the app itself, it's also hard to communicate through the emailing system the app provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that those who are considering canvas think about what they need out of an education management application and what pros and cons each platform can give them.

We're solving the issues of students not being able to connect with professors.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Eduction, organized, and simplified"

What do you like best?

Canvas is one of the best interfaces that I have experienced in higher education. I have used Blackboard, and ANGEL in the past and Canvas is by-far the best. Everything is organized in a nice and clean interface, with the ability to be personalized by the university. The dashboard page is simplified and gives all necessary information in one place at one glance. The ability to integrate in other online learning systems and assessments, such as Pearson Mastering is great and easy.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Canvas supported more file formats for uploading files. I have had an instructor not be able to upload lecture slides because Canvas did not support Apple Keynote files. I don't have any personal experience with uploading files, but this would be something to look into. I would also like to see more personalization with colors and designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider taking a preview of Canvas, and seeing what it has to offer. The great deal of features and benefits should hopefully help make the decision easy for you. The reliability and speed is also a great benefit, I feel as if Canvas has greater speed and loading time vs. Blackboard.

Organization and streamlined education and communication. Canvas has been great and beneficial to myself, other students, and instructors so far.

"Online Course Assistant"

What do you like best?

When I was a Teaching Assistant, I used Canvas very often to post all the related course materials. It is very convenient to post assignment, announcement, or anything that to all class participants need to know. For students, I like the feature of online assignment submission system through which we can upload the answers at the last minute before the due day and not worried about submitting to the teacher in person.

What do you dislike?

I have not find anything that I dislike. It is a pretty handy tool for education. It would be better if we have the online peer review/online lecturing feature. For instance, if the teach is absent in the class, he/she can still teach remotely using Canvas where students can ask questions in the meantime.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The app of Canvas is very easy to use for either students or lecturers. You can link the in-mail message to your email address in case not getting the notification in time.

I used Canvas in to record attendance of students in the class when I was TA. It saved a lot of time than a signing sheet. Sometimes we post announcement if class got cancelled. Students will receive all the email notifications if I created any assignment or midterm notifications.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas is a user friendly LMS with a few glitches."

What do you like best?

I like the speed grader and the ease of uploading files. Although the grade book could be faster, it is easy to understand and to set up. I like that you can mute grades. I also like that previous semesters remain accessible. I like that assignments can be copied between courses and that test banks can be created. It is nice to be able to grade within the speed grader for papers that need comments and editing. Much better than having to download them.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it cannot perform item stats on multiple answer questions. I wish the speed grader was mobile friendly. I dislike that once an assignment is graded it doesn't automatically progress to the next assignment. Too much clicking. Also the gradebook can be very slow to load. Sometimes papers that open in speed grader do not appear with the same formatting as if it was downloaded. This can sometimes result in students being unfairly penalized for their work.

It is used by my current place of employment for hybrid and online classes. It works well for meeting with students.

Canvas review by <span>Maike H.</span>
Maike H.

"Great organizational tool for classes or online study!"

What do you like best?

Canvas has several features that I like including a message center which allows you to message other students in your class, an intuitive format, and a smartphone app through which you can also message students, look at your grades, and look up assignments/class materials. The smartphone app is also free. I also used canvas as an instructor. Entering and changes grades was a relatively painless task with canvas. I also noticed that canvas periodically underwent maintenance, and I did notice positive changes with this software over the course of several years. Also, I never experienced any issues downloading class materials or uploading assignments.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the smartphone app was a little glitchy. Also, within canvas, you can select which classes you would like to have on your homepage. However, the way to select / deselect classes to appear on the home screen was not very intuitive, and a couple times I panicked when I saw that my classes had mysteriously disappeared (they were, in fact, still 'in the system', but I had inadvertently checked the option to hide those particular classes from my home screen).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend canvas to others. It's easy to use for students, and I think it is better than other class/online organization software. I especially like it because there is an app, which allows easy access to class materials , even without a computer.

I was able to organize my class materials efficiently, but more importantly, canvas made collaborative projects much easier. Within canvas, you can create groups, and you can post messages to the entire group or individuals easily. It's much easier and more convenient than keeping track of emails.I was definitely able to increase my productivity and work efficiency through by using this software.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Accessible and Adaptable Software for Classroom Use"

What do you like best?

Canvas provides a flexible environment for the instructor to tailor their class. There is ample storage space on the platform for files, with specific locations already identified for storing the class syllabus. There is also an integrated notification system for alerts, which is particularly helpful for making class announcements. The grading framework is intuitive and provides space to upload a file with feedback, which I use frequently. Canvas also allows for creation of groups

What do you dislike?

I have little to say critiquing Canvas. That being said, I was required to walk through a comprehensive tutorial before using the platform which was very helpful. For those who aren't offered this opportunity, there may be a steep learning curve in familiarizing yourself with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the various components before implementing this in a classroom!

I use canvas as a University Instructor and a graduate student; that is, not in a 'business' setting. But I have benefitted from the accessibility of the platform.

Canvas review by <span>Brittany S.</span>
Brittany S.

"Great way to set up professional developments from the homefront. "

What do you like best?

As teachers, with so much time being spent AT work and not enough time being spent at home, Canvas makes it easier to complete professional development in the comfort of our own homes rather than in meetings at schools or district offices.

What do you dislike?

They layout of canvas could be a little more exciting and fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great ways to allow for training and professional development at your own pace.

The ease of communicating and completing activities/courses online rather than requiring teachers to dedicate more time at school. Canvas also allows teachers to complete course/act

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas: Good Classroom integration; Blighted by Accessibility & Functionality "

What do you like best?

Canvas integrates grading, classroom materials, entire lectures, and management of your classroom / classes into one platform. Canvas makes distribution of materials and monitoring of your student's progress (and your own) extremely easy. Canvas does indeed enable seamless integration of classroom materials into it's online portal, but leaves much room for improvement.

What do you dislike?

Canvas has some serious functionality issues (in my experience). Often slow - most notable issues arise from navigating the Canvas platform from a mobile device or tablet. Always seems to fail downloads in this context. Some aspects of Canvas are extremely intuitive i.e after creating classroom materials for distribution, there's a very discrete button called "publish" which is required for materials to be accessible by your students. I've seen a large number of instructors entirely fail to use the "publish" function, multiple times a semester!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas will meet your needs as far as integrating classroom materials, providing and organizing information to your students, and also monitoring your students progress. Beware of functionality issues when accessing Canvas via mobile device or tablet.

Canvas provides a platform for integration of classes for our university. We use Canvas for all classes as a means to organize class materials, interact with and monitor students, and to disseminate information.

Canvas review by <span>Linnea M.</span>
Linnea M.

"Canvas for educators"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the web version of canvas very much as a professor.

The modules make it easy to organize classes and have all the material for students in one easy place to see everything right away.

Speed grader is also wonderful. It allows me to come in and see student work and grade it quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

The app is very difficult to work with especially for educators. You can accomplish little and notifications are slow, if they even load at all.

I would also like to see the students view improved all across the board. In assignments for instance, I will arrange groups of them in order of due date but for students view it gets completely jumbled. Students also complain of being able to easily navigate through the program to find teacher comments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the modules and organize, that way you can import the same course for future courses very easily.

I use this to organize my classes. Benefits are being able to contact my students, upload projects and lectures, and due dates all in one place.

Canvas review by <span>Maeghan H.</span>
Maeghan H.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Canvas has a lot of flexibility in course design,

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about Canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great solution, both for fully online courses, for those meeting face-to-face, and for all others in between.

This option allows students and faculty to customize courses they way they want, instead of fitting them into a standard template. Students can customize the look of this, and I can also use modules or any other type of organization for my course content. I have been using it only for one semester, but it appears to be able to do everything I wish it to do. I particularly like Speed Grader - this is the easiest solution for grading papers and discussion posts. I also appreciate the ease of use of rubrics. After adding a rubric to any assignment, it is exceptionally easy to use and grade assignments in Speed Grader. Love it!

Canvas review by <span>Melissa H.</span>
Melissa H.

"Connecting College Students with their Academics"

What do you like best?

My favorite concept of Canvas is its mobile app! As a college student who is always on the run, being able to check my assignments, review due dates, look over lecture power points and see my grades instantly is fantastic. Canvas also allows for the submission of assignments online and lets students take exams and quizzes remotely. This bridges the distance gap between being on campus and off campus.

What do you dislike?

One thing I don't like about Canvas is that certain features are not supported on mobile. For example, certain files are not visible on the mobile platform and certain fonts on power points (if I am viewing a posted course lecture) do not appear.This inhibits seamlessly being able to use canvas on the laptop vs a mobile device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations for others using Canvas is to keep up with the notifications of assignments, as they do not delete automatically and you might get bombarded with updates, to utilize the calendar feature to plan academic goals, and to always double check your grades and scores as professors can customize things and often times scores are not weighed accurately.

Canvas allows the educational realm to connect Professors and Students seamlessly. Through their Inbox system, Canvas allows students to message classmates and professors. Through their "Grades" tab for each course, students can view past assignments grades and even input estimated grades to see how performance on an exam will impact their current class grade.

Canvas review by <span>Lauren B.</span>
Lauren B.

"Favorite LMS"

What do you like best?

Easy to use -- more intuitive than Blackboard

Gradebook and setting-up grading systems is not complicated.

Modern looking

Easy for students to use

Cuts down on nearly all my paper

Less cluttered and out of date looking than Blackboard

What do you dislike?

Limited configurations.

I wish that I could add title tabs that did nothing

I wish there was maybe a webbing system to collect units.

The Modules start to get full and a bit cluttered without a way to organize or differentiate the information in each module.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use and has a decent app, which students like. I think it helps instructors, even those who are less computer-comfortable, keep an organized and more communicative class.

Using less paper. I have had such bad luck at using paper-based assignments with my students. This keeps me organized and structured.

It keeps all my assignments and grading in one place.

Canvas review by <span>Devin H.</span>
Devin H.

"Awesome Platform For New Teachers"

What do you like best?

Canvas is really easy to operate, and you can design a lesson for a course in minutes. There is no prior uploading required. It is not limited to web based discussion, you can conference and utilize collaborative and video learning as well.

What do you dislike?

It does not pop out as much as platforms like NearPod do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good and free resources to those just starting out in distance education or for those who are tutors!

Canvas is a great way to develop lessons efficiently and while you're on the go. It allows you to make quick edits to courses, and manage multiple courses at once from one play, meaning you aren't scrambling between different accounts.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"A delightful LMS, but still shaking off those growing pains"

What do you like best?

Canvas is easy and pleasant to use, with an interface that feels modern and friendly. I love that they offer a variety of hosting and pricing options. As an instructor who works for institutions that use other platforms, it's nice that I can start an individual course at instructure.com for free, too.

What do you dislike?

I feel a little limited by the way courses are created and managed. While Canvas has improved this issue with time, I am still frustrated that I cannot further customize how my students navigate course materials. I don't think about my content the way that Canvas divides it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Users who consider switching to Canvas as an individual instructor can easily create an account and explore the tool to see if it would work for them. Institutions considering Canvas should consider more than just the user interface. Does this tool have all of the features you need to manage users and permissions, track learning progress, etc? And most importantly, as with any LMS implementation, consider cost beyond hosting or installation. Technology support staff and resources are a big part of the total cost of implementing a new LMS. Do you have expertise on staff or will you rely on external support? How many users are you serving and how quickly can your chosen support team respond to them?

I use Canvas as a teacher and trainer. I like that I can get started quickly and that my students/participants have a pleasant learning experience (which makes them more likely to return to and/or finish a course).

Canvas review by <span>Yulia S.</span>
Yulia S.

"Easy to use, intuitive LMS interface. "

What do you like best?

Canvas is a very intuitive platform that allows you to incorporate a variety of media into the presentation of content. Creation, management, and distribution is fast, easy, and requires little training, even for the most technologically challenged users.

Document management, specifically, is so easy to utilize with the way the system is set up. It's most impressive in its simplicity.

What do you dislike?

Lack of personalization. While Canvas offers a good deal of content management options, it does not have a lot of room for personalization, which can cause confusion, especially when not all options are being utilized. Some courses don't require all the options Canvas offers, so hiding them altogether would be very beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate to explore all the options Canvas has to offer, especially in relation to data collection and in-depth course evaluation. If your participate in your department's or institution's accreditation, Canvas can be absolutely invaluable in compiling necessary information, especially if it has been properly set up to begin with.

Ease of access and information sharing are the most prevalent benefits to the Canvas system. Whether it be course updates for students, or information sharing among faculty, Canvas' announcements and module editing are great tools.

Canvas review by <span>Forrest M.</span>
Forrest M.

"Please browser experience, not so much mobile"

What do you like best?

The user interface from the student and teacher side is clear, has plenty of functionality, and allows users to easily manage content from different classes and keep track of assignments, students, grading etc. I also enjoy being able to go back to classes I was previously enrolled in.

What do you dislike?

The document management is not always the best. Sometimes submitted assignments do not show up when trying to grade and you just have to try back another time. Additionally, from the student side, you can cycle through the pages of a document without manually clicking within the app window or downloading the doc. Hitting the next arrow sends you to the next doc in the folder, which is a little annoying and unintuitive. The mobile app for iOS rarely worked well and grades and documents almost never load even while on wifi.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't have much experience with other software for this purpose other than Blackboard, but it gets the job done with minimal headache.

Solving the problem of managing grades and assignment submissions for multiple college classes. It is nice to have a central location for all my classes as both a student and teaching assistant that I can access from anywhere and still can access.

Canvas review by Administrator

"Canvas: It JUST WORKS!"

What do you like best?

I have used many learning management systems and none are as easy to use as Canvas. It works consistently and when you have a question, their technical support is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing. It is the best LMS I have ever used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider the premium tier 1 support. It has been fantastic for us and allows us to offer 24/7/365 support for online courses.

We switched from an on prem LMS to Canvas several years ago. Although the cost was quite an increase, we needed to make this switch to the cloud as we didn't have the appropriate human resources and time to maintain an on prem solution. So, in the end we likely save money anyway because our limited staff can now focus on other technologies. We have greater adoption of this product than our previous product.

Canvas review by <span>Raymond T.</span>