Canvas

Canvas

Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning (and implementation and adoption and customer support and student success and bragging to your non-Canvas-using peers) easier.

Work for Canvas?

User in Education Management
View Original

"Canvas Review "

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Canvas
Canvas review by Martha Z.
Martha Z.

"Easy to work with LMS"

What do you like best?

We love the ease of use for our staff and students, the 99% uptime, the responsiveness of their support team and our account manager, and Instructure's commitment to improvement.

We also use Canvas in an unusual way, as far as roles, sections, and permissions go, due to having staff in pastoral roles, that many schools do not. Canvas worked with us to find a way to set up our staff that gave them access to what they needed in an unconventional way.

What do you dislike?

There are some features we would like (broader overview of student grades for certain roles, for example) that have not and probably will never be implemented due to US laws - as a UK school, these don't affect us and it's frustrating to have the US market dominate concerns

As a fully online school, Canvas is essential to us! It's how we provide students their coursework, receive and mark their assignments, and communicate with them. The range of tools and also LTIs available allow to create interesting, interactive and fun courses for students.

We've grown by more than 100% in 3 years, and tools such as Blueprint help us to maintain consistency.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Canvas review by Martijn R.
Martijn R.

"Canvas user of the early hour in Europe."

What do you like best?

Canvas provides with a very flexible and modulair Learning Management System. Not only for the day-to-day basic stuff but also for empowering our (extremer) open didactical vision. It's not locked to vendor specific features, but it embraces open-source thinking and facilitating open standards like LTI, IMS, REST API, xAPI, open source code, etc.

What do you dislike?

Canvas had some issues adopting the more European way of operating, but they are progressively are changing their business to suit a more global approach for the product and their services. This takes ofcourse time in a growing market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great LMS, with the occasional quirks (which other vendors also have), but high level of customisation, open interoperability with other software platforms. Easy to manage and a lot of insight for administrators, teachers AND students.

Canvas streamlines our educational processes with a all-in-one solution of publishing educational material but also receiving assignment work. It speeds up the proces of grading and keeping the overview of the learning progression of learners.

Canvas review by Nicolas H.
Nicolas H.

"Canvas Great Student Engagement"

What do you like best?

I think that canvas is a very reliable learning management system (LMS) when compared to others such as Blackboard, it is more cost effective . I like the ability of creating videos from within the system . Sharing videos in Canvas works flawlessly and encourage collaborative sharing with students . I think that this kind of LMS helps student and instructors have a great learning experience.

What do you dislike?

As any other technology some technical difficulties may come up, institutions may need to have a staff ready to solve these problem . Also note that institutions running Canvas may need to install third party tools to enable some features such as gamification.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that institutions do a comparison between several systems in order to choose the right product. For education the process may include a trail setup and then surveying students and faculty for their likes and dislikes.

Canvas is a good solution for online learning engaging large number of students.

Canvas review by Pritesh C.
Pritesh C.

"Good platform for academic course management"

What do you like best?

Its a simple and intuitive platform where you can submit assignments, take polls, display grades, make announcements and have discussion. Its a complete solution for managing an academic course in a big university with a large number of students.

What do you dislike?

The discussion section and personal messaging can be improved upon. Rest, everything looks quite good. There seems to be a bug related to unread announcements/discussion thread. Even if you read it, it still shows that its unread. That is frustrating sometimes as an user of platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a very good platform for managing your academic coursework and classes. I highly recommend it for usage in your university/course.

I use Canvas as a student and an Graduate Teaching assistant in my university. As I said, its very simple and intuitive. Its a complete package providing all thing necessary for managing a big class. Its proved to be a very good platform so far and I am happy with using it for my courses. The provision for statistics of grades is quite useful. Also the feature of accepting multiple submissions and maintaining the activity history is useful for students.

Canvas review by Andrew C.
Andrew C.

"Grade settings are funky, but overall clean UI"

What do you like best?

My favorite aspect of it is the calendar. It organizes all my assignments very easily, and displays everything in a linear fashion. This prevents me from forgetting anything, and it easy to import into google calendar as well.

What do you dislike?

The grading system can be a little weird at times, especially when there are many instructors within the same class. However, I feel this may be more of a user error (a fault with the professor), as opposed to the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IF you are setting up a class on Canvas, please do not put all the professors and TAs under one segment, we will receive notifications from ALL of them. Just my opinion as a student user

It organizes all the students and instructors together very well. It organizes all my assignments very easily, and displays everything in a linear fashion. This prevents me from forgetting anything, and it easy to import into google calendar as well.

Canvas review by Ana T.
Ana T.

"One of the most versatile and helpful sites for teachers and students of all ages."

What do you like best?

I like that it provides a straightforward organization among the different tabs, classes, and modules of each class. There is an email tab that connects with that of the organization of the school and it just makes everyone's tasks easier and faster throughout a smooth platform. It provides a smooth experience while making it fun for children and adults who use this software.

What do you dislike?

Getting used to using the tabs and panels is confusing at the first time, but it is about dedicating some time to become comfortable with them. It is also complicated when having too many classes and understanding the preview of an assignment on the calendar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As a creator of your own teaching style, there is plenty of options to customize and make use of every tab that Canvas has to offer. It can facilitate your work in many ways, only if you dive into it and make the most out of an amazing site.

I use Canvas as an online learning platform through which I submit assignments, respond to quizzes, stay updated with announcements from professors and emails from both professors and students.

Canvas review by Hope L.
Hope L.

"Professional Learning"

What do you like best?

Canva is very user friendly for all ages. The left panel provides easy access to all pages and options in the class in Canva.

What do you dislike?

Discerning where specific items are located can be difficult if one does not interpret the options correctly. The options use jargon that is not frequently used in brick and mortar classrooms (like "modules"), so this can be confusing for new users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a great way to assign Professional development to adults in the workforce. They provide an asynchronous way to learn content. As a creator, you can manage assignments, grading, and projects in a class section.

My business uses Canvas as a platform for online learning. It is a way to create assignments, quizzes, modules, and more to assign individually or to a class. Canvas is easily used by all students of all ages- children and adults! It is great to use for professional development as well.

Canvas review by Tasha T.
Tasha T.

"A Must For Teaching!"

What do you like best?

Of all the programs available as support tools for teachers, this one is by far my favorite. For each class I teach, I can create modules for each unit of curriculum. Within each module, I can upload documents, notes, web links, and even create assignments. In addition to creating modules, I can create tests and quizzes. All assignments and tests can be graded through Canvas' "SpeedGrader", and grades can be saved in the "Grades" section for immediate student viewing. There is also a special feature for Turnitin.com, which checks all work turned in for plagiarism. The interface is extremely easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Although the interface is easy to use, it looks a little boring and basic.

One problem I was able to solve was getting work to students that were absent in class. By me loading notes and materials into Canvas, students can access what they need from home.

I have been able to go virtually paperless in the classroom.

Canvas review by Barbara C.
Barbara C.

"Very good teaching/learning tool"

What do you like best?

I think it's a very organized platform, with a clean layout that allows for functionality and easy access. I like grading papers directly on the Speed Grading tool, which makes it easy to point out or highlight details, leave annotated comments, and even search Google for plagiarism. I also like how we can create/add our own rubrics for easy grading as well.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like about the platform is the inability to completely connect to certain tools, such as the VoiceThreads Assignments, that aren't possible to create reminders for the student's calendar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would totally give Canvas a try. As any new tool, it takes time to adapt and learn the tricks. However, if given the right consideration and constant use, I definitely think it makes an effective difference on a daily basis, saving time and stress with unresponsive software. I have never had a big issue with the platform and it has never made me angry os stress. It does just what I need in the easiest way possible for my needs.

I use it as a student and as an instructor. From a student perspective, I find it easy to submit assignments and get full feedback from my instructors, as well as to follow the TO DO LIST and calendar reminders for what it's due. From an instructor perceptive, I also find it easy to keep track of my students' submissions, my previous comments left and schedule announcements. I also find benefit on being able to visualize how much students are using the platform and if they are opening the documents and viewing all the feedback available.

Canvas review by Caroline M.
Caroline M.

"Big LMS with lots of capabilities but limited funcionality "

What do you like best?

Canvas provides a platform for my digital resources for my students. It has an iPad app that is relatively functional and allows for uploads of rubrics and grading directly in the LMS. I particularly like creating that I can put students in groups on Canvas and grade a group project using one rubric, that is visible to all students in the group. Canvas is a huge platform with lots of capabilities (like in-app quizzes, grading, written and spoken feedback, etc)

What do you dislike?

Canvas is so enormous that the functionality of many of it's capabilities is relatively limited. In a 1:1 iPad school, the many problems with the App and very limited capabilities of the app are causing our school to look elsewhere for another LMS. Canvas has not been able to keep up with updates of other services (ie gradebooks) and loses functionality each time another service has a big update. Their service team has not provided us with solutions to many of our issues and is relatively non-responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere

All teachers use the same LMS to provide resources to students. Our students know how to use Canvas since all teachers use it.

Canvas review by Kelli D.
Kelli D.

"Great software for classwork"

What do you like best?

It's easy to set up modules with assignments, announcements, syllabus, etc. I especially like that you can easily duplicate the classes since my work makes it necessary to have the same assignments and modules duplicated every few months for new class groups. It's also easy to contact students via the Canvas network.

The speed grader is the BEST! It makes it really quick to go through assignments and quizzes and grade them.

What do you dislike?

We've had some difficulty with enrolling students in the classes on occasion--once or twice I entered all the students' names and email addresses and the program didn't send out invites. I've also had some problems trying to respond to students' messages through email. (Canvas will send in-Canvas messages to your email as well, but it doesn't always seem to work.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have really liked using this program. It has made my job a lot easier and is very user-friendly for both admins and students!

We run classes every month for international students that involve pre- and post- assignments and in the past it was very difficult to keep track of all of their assignments. We have 9 different class locations all over the country and each class generally has 100+ students. You can imagine how many emails that is to keep track of when they're just sending in assignments via email! Canvas has cut down on a lot of hassle and made it easy to keep track of students' assignments.

Canvas review by Ian A.
Ian A.

"Instructure's Canvas removes the barrier between students and professors."

What do you like best?

The best aspect of Canvas is the amount of customization available. I have taken many different quizzes, submitted various assignments, and graded homework using this tool. Every feature available works smoothly, and the mobile app is immensely helpful.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate more support for math quizzes and tests, such as WebAssign has. Additionally, the ability to upload images into the rich text editor would be excellent. Currently, if I want to upload a file into a discussion post I have to upload it, then edit my post and insert the photo. This slows things down and severely limits the number of photos I can upload to a post. The ability to attach other files other than pictures easily would be very helpful as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the ability to leave and read instructor comments! This is one of the most often neglected features of Canvas, and one of the most helpful. You don't have to be in the dark about what your classmates and professors are saying, you can ask and communicate through this channel.

I work as a Teacher's Aide, and I use canvas to grade students' homework. I like the SpeedGrader system, it makes things go quickly and smoothly, helping me and the students.

Canvas review by Robert M.
Robert M.

"Seamless Educational Experience"

What do you like best?

I like the centralized access to everything related to the course. There is no need for additional software packages, this does it all from syllabus to cloud storage, assignment management and discussion forums and grading. For online and distant learning it really helps bring the class together in a virtual environment. I also like the multi device and operating system support. On a daily basis I login from my phone, tablet and PC with no issues. This is a very powerful capability since we are all on the go on a daily basis and the ability to seamlessly move from one device to another is a key feature that should not be overlooked. I also like the integration with numerous cloud based systems which provides a high level of interoperability.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike can be lag time but it is difficult to determine if that is from the software or ISP. Overall this has not diminished my user experience and it continues to get better with subsequent releases of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great application with wide compatibility options.

It consolidates education and classroom management allowing me to spend more focusing on course management. It also solves the issue of managing information from the classroom to home. The ability to have access on a phone also solves productivity losses by allowing better use of time throughout the day.

Canvas review by Audria B.
Audria B.

"World’s largest classroom"

What do you like best?

Canvas has a trial account, and in two weeks you can understand that the program suits you or not. During the trial period, I realized that Canvas was created just for my needs and helps me to simplify the training and education of my students. I and my colleagues don't have much time to inform all the students about upcoming tests, polls or changes in the schedule.

What do you dislike?

In the first use of this program there were some difficulties, but then, when I figured out it was easy to organize the students on a joint work (this minus concerns any new program to which one must first get used). There are some difficulties for my students in getting access to the files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

All the students were happy when Canvas appeared because the study became more interesting and responsible. It is easy to follow your progress. I can recommend Canvas without any doubts.

In my work, it's important to maintain communication with the trainees, to help them find the necessary materials. I communicate with other trainees without any efforts and be aware of everything that happens in an educational process. With Canvas it becomes possible.

Canvas review by Elliot Marcel M.
Elliot Marcel M.

"Great product, small tweaks for the main site to adapt to laptops are needed"

What do you like best?

Everything for the class takes place in one place! Communication (email and announcements), grading, assignment creation, loading files etc. Great app for phone and tablets. There is a lot of versatility in terms of keeping track of individual students and the whole class simultaneously. The ability to preserve a course online and easily transfer material from one semester to the next is a huge boon!

What do you dislike?

The grading feature is a bit cumbersome, particularly on a laptop. The windows are not always fully visible and when not working in google chrome there are links that sometimes don't appear. This can create extra work since students don't see their feedback generating further need for communication etc. This is the the most important feature of the product as far as I'm concerned and it would be incredibly helpful if the platform included a less cumbersome way of grading! While the communications feature's ability to be switched off is nice in the sense of users not being bombarded with emails, this means that sometimes students are not actually getting your messages. Instructors should be able to override this function as needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone at the last few universities I have worked at seems to agree that Canvas is a step ahead of Blackboard.

All of the needs in terms of communicating with students, creating modules, inputing grades, sharing files and so forth are done through this program. The biggest problem being solved is that of paper grading which I am able to do through the speedgrader function that it built in.

Canvas review by Caroline W.
Caroline W.

"Review for Canvas"

What do you like best?

Canvas is a really cool application for classroom management. It delivers safe performance and makes all of my content very organized. I used Moodle and BrainHoney prior to this and Canvas trumps them all.

It works well on various operating systems and gives the administrator so much power to deliver the content (in my case, biology notes for my students that I tutor) in so many different ways.

It pretty much contains all the features a teacher or tutor can ever need!

What do you dislike?

Canvas is VERY difficult to understand/use. It would take you a lot of time just to understand all the features to be able to access them. Considering that this is a service to be able to share content easily with other users, I believe that they should make the accessibility features easier for others to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give it a big thumbs up!

I use it to share biology notes with my tutees online. This comes in handy for me to fulfill my role as a peer tutor.

Canvas review by Stephany W.
Stephany W.

"Very helpful - better than blackboard!"

What do you like best?

The first thing I noticed with this product was the the interface was very user friendly! I liked that I was able to create a full profile with a photo that other users could see and get information from. The grade feature was also very helpful in calculating current grade points. I also liked the fact that you could "predict" your current grade by inputting any amount of potential grades for individual assignments.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much that I dislike about this product. One thing that needs improvement is the time between when things occur on the site, and when notifications are sent out. There seems to be a lapse in time for about a day or two where I have not received a notification There have been a few glitches related to assignments not showing up with they are posted, but these have seemed to be resolved. I have yet to use customer support, so I cannot make many comments related to that aspect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is a great tool for online classes!

My company upgraded to canvas after using Blackboard for several years. We use this product in order to develop assignments, modules, discussions, and grades via an online portal. This is extremely beneficial for online classes to make sure that everybody is getting the same assignment at the same time.

Canvas review by Melissa C.
Melissa C.

" Canvas makes classes easier!"

What do you like best?

The time stamp feature for submitted documents is especially helpful! It holds accountability for students, and makes files available to students readily easily.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes hard to view certain documents through the application on a cellular device. I don’t have any issues with canvas on a computer!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend anyone teaching a course to use canvas. It takes the guess work out of electronic documents and turning assignments on time. I love the opportunity it creates for student discussion, for deadlines, and for providing students class resources (lectures etc). It is much easier to use than blackboard, Dropbox, and is accessible to everyone.

Ensuring all students receive communication about notifications through canvas at the beginning of each semester can be challenging. It is wonderful though to realize all documents can be electronically stored for easy access for grading. It takes all of the hassle out of the class.

Canvas review by Giovanni D.
Giovanni D.

" A Powerful house for those who know how to explore it"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the flexibility of the system and how faculty centric it is. The robust APIs that allow you to incorporate your "personal touch" in a LMS system.

What do you dislike?

Nothing personally but I do know there are some who do not like all the "bells and whistles". It could be considered overwhelming due to all the type of features available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want simplicity, this may not be the right tool. There are others that are simple. You can make it work but this is a tool for someone who is looking for a powerful and feature rich tool.

We resolved many problems. First, the LMS system is a more up to date system with updates practically every month. It is very "forward thinking" and it is constantly being improved. Additionally, being faculty centric, allows faculty to truly engage students in a more "natural" way by easily embedding tools and applications within the LMS.

Canvas review by Shawnna C.
Shawnna C.

"Very good solution to go with education skills."

What do you like best?

The platform gives a chance to use and to work with important information to me. All works are very productive. I like the fast way to submit our assignments. Very powerful platform for students gives the ability to learn better and in more suitable time.

What do you dislike?

If you would like to work with no issue that it is better to install that Software. Very good sharing program with all important information to my students. Also, I like that, I always can take a right an advice from support service if I need it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very powerful education software. Simple to use and work with the wonderful interface. Strong path of knowledge brings a lot of power to increase education skills. This platform I'm not afraid to use. And I recommend it to you.

Great opportunity for us. I mean it is a big helper to teachers and of course to students. To have education at online service is the big jump into knowledge. I can be sure that all presentation of the lecture will be very useful and understandable to the audience.

Canvas review by Scottie G.
Scottie G.

"The perfect door to an effective way."

What do you like best?

Gives me better concentrate on using technology to make better classroom experience and learning processes for students and teachers. Make your study process much better for everyone.

What do you dislike?

During the all working process I don't have any delay or disconnect in connection. Also, that platform has a lot of useful information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wonderful learning software.Wil make your study much easy. With this platform, your education way will be much interesting and suitable for the most students. For sure online presentation of learning will make our student more active in the process and productive.

Actually, we are saving our time. I'm glad that I can show the most comfortable process of study. I guess it is important to learn that it is an open and clear way. It'is wonderful that I can see an interest from students to study. Its mean that this software really doing the right job.

Canvas review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"Flexible LMS with Responsive Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Probably the best part of Canvas is that it can be customized to my courses. I have used it for managing both in-person and online courses, and it works well for both purposes. I also use different features for different classes depending on the needs of my students. I like that Canvas isn't one-size-fits-all and can be used by different professors in lots of different ways.

What do you dislike?

Probably the main thing I think could be improved is making sure students receive and view feedback from SpeedGrader more easily. Right now it takes multiple clicks to view feedback given through features like the rubric, so some students get confused and others don't bother. I'd like a way to have Canvas automatically email instructor feedback to students.

Communication with students, providing one centralized place for students to access course materials, messages, grades, feedback, etc.

Canvas review by Karthikeyan B.
Karthikeyan B.

"Canvas for efficient education management"

What do you like best?

Canvas has been an excellent tool for communicating and share file with people in the class. The faculty can upload and control the files and grades and TA and GA's can easily update grade and have a centralized dash board for students with which they can manage all class details , class time and their grade.

What do you dislike?

canvas is perfect and good to use in classroom environment and for any organized course, there no dislike with canvas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

using canvas for your education management purpose is highly recommended, once you use it you will understand the easy of classroom and file management, the centralized management of all subject will be an advantage for students. The file sharing is another problem that will be easily solved using canvas in the classroom. homework submission is also made easier using canvas.

need for emailing everyone individually can have a potential of problem of missing a person in an important conformation. but with canvas you can choose and mail everyone in a single chat room. you can also update the files and share learning materials online. This simply makes the process easier and reduces the cost of physically printing and communicating the class notes to every person

Canvas review by Allison Y.
Allison Y.

"Good for colleges for getting information to members in classes"

What do you like best?

The ease with which you are able to send a message to the entire class or select individuals. Also, the ability to set up your own class page in whatever way is best for how you run it (files, folders, discussion boards etc.)

What do you dislike?

The system has gone down some which makes it difficult for students to gain access to important documents or slides they will be needing as well as for grading purposes so they are able to see how they did on exams and quizzes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well for what we need it for and haven't had too many overall problems with it - most students seem to enjoy the program and ability to use it freely too

Not necessarily business problems but it makes getting the information out to students much easier than other softwares. It's also something that is pretty user friendly so even if it is a person's first time on either side of it, you are able to figure out how to run it, upload files, put out announcements.

Canvas review by Gail I.
Gail I.

"Versatile Learning Platform"

What do you like best?

One of the best components of Canvas is the ability to integrate a variety of media into the learning experience (videos, audio files, etc.) Another great aspect is the cleanness of the web pages, lack of distracting clutter which makes for a more focused learning environment.

What do you dislike?

Navigation from one page to another can be awkward, at times one must go up levels to find hierarchical menus. Often I would find myself starting from the home page again just to find a particular page. There are also an excessive amount of items on the menu that possibly could be subcategories.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Canvas as an excellent software interface for collaborative projects, courses and classes. The interactive possibilities, ability to upload and download a variety of media and the ease of use are all big benefits.

At our institution we are utilizing Canvas to offer online and hybrid courses to students. We previously used Blackboard more often and have now fully transferred our classes over. The online experience has been upgraded substantially with Canvas.

Canvas review by Kaitlin B.
Kaitlin B.

"User-friendly but a slight learning curve--communicate in person with users first"

What do you like best?

I like how easily I manage classroom tasks like putting students into groups, organizing my gradebook, putting students into peer review pairs. A favorite feature is that students get alerts for new assignments information and due dates, making students more dependent on alerts than my mention of deadlines in class (which may be missed). I often teach repeat classes, and it is very easy to copy and edit a former course. I used to do most of this with Microsoft Word, paper copies, etc., because previous software was unnecessarily complicated. Canvas is much more user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

There's a few things you wouldn't necessarily know/notice, even with taking a tutorial (I strongly suggest taking a tutorial either online or with your institution, this was very helpful in the initial setup). For instance, from my standpoint of uploading files and assignments onto specific, carefully selected pages, I did not realize they were listed elsewhere in a very disorganized way (Files) until I read it in my formal student evaluations. I suggest asking students how THEY use the interface, and go over how you suggest they use it at the start of the course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see review about communicating with students in person about Canvas and its use.

As already stated, I use this in the classroom for classroom management, course organization, grading, and so forth. Now that I've overcome the fairly easy learning curve, I use it with ease to communicate with my students.

Canvas review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Truly Awful Program, worse than using a spreadsheet with no additionals"

What do you like best?

I like the integration with turnitin.com for grading- makes it very easy to have students submit online assignments that are checked for plagiarism.

What do you dislike?

This is a truly terrible program- it amazes me how over and over the grading and assignment functions manage to be completely counter-intuitive- all of your needs must be anticipated because the course you design and assignment types have no flexibility once you create them. The grade book is a nightmare. It has a spreadsheet in the making, but you can't add any columns, or add any of your own weights.

Example of my gripes: I created an essay test with the 'quiz' function- the students were informed to choose 2/3 essay questions to answer. However, it was setup in such a way that each question had to have a specific amount it was worth, and the total had to be the sum of all parts- i.e. it is impossible as far as I can tell to have an optional question. I thought "i have used several other platforms (blackboard etc.) and can just change it all through the gradebook". That was naive because other programs don't have a gradebook forged in the bowels of Hades, created to be as useless as possible. So the students take the test, they have a grade on a scale of 1-100 but the points say it is out of 150. At the end of the course, I try to create a weighted column thinking I could do, i dunno, a simple goddam operation like in excel or any other spreadsheet where I can just add the 2 tests in the category and divide by 200 points and that would result in a correct final grade. Instead, there is not way to create anything without going through their initial module/assignment category page. I can't do that now, however, because it would require me to delete the assignment and all of the students responses (!!!). Seriously incompetent design. Since there is no way to change the weight, I went through and manually added for 40 students the average of their grade from the 2 test so the average % would be the same. However, after finishing that complete waste of time, I found that there was no way to use %, it was only going to add raw points from test 1 & 2 and then weight them into a % for the final grade. Therefore, it was impossible to do what I wanted in even the somewhat easy way, the only way was to make the other test worth 150 so that they were worth equal amounts, and make sure the extra 50 had the same average. I am wasting so much of my own time because they have the least user-friendly and customizable gradebook I have ever encountered across several platforms. It is horrible. My options for the future are to just create an 'assignment' rather than a quiz so I have more flexibility, but rather than individual questions I will just have to put the assignments in 1 block for them to write the assignments in 1 block. No program should be so lacking in customizability that I should have to already be a canvas savant to not end my semester having a headache and spending way more time than was saved over the course, just fixing all the problems caused by their terrible program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just don't- really. It is not a good product- it is not very customizable, once you create a course one way it is difficult to make changes, there is no direct way to change the gradebook or create various types of adjustments, they require labor-intensive redesign, which you often can't do mid-way through the course because assignments are so lacking in customization, you would have to delete assignments and start from scratch, thus getting rid of existing grades and assignments because they are all linked. It is horrible. I am taking the time out of finals grading to light up some forums to punish this terrible company from making my life unnecessarily hard with their terrible product.

This is a truly awful program. I would rather use almost any other system- and would much rather use an excel spreadsheet for a gradebook than the incredibly inflexible and uncustomizable nonsense you have designed. Your work is an embarrassment, Canvas.

Canvas review by Mike M.
Mike M.

"Wonderful Academic Content Management System"

What do you like best?

I teach at two schools as an adjunct (while working full time as a software developer.) The first school I teach at had their own content management system for its courses (with development being managed in house.) I took a position at another school and immediately got used to Canvas. Two years later the first school finally switched over to using Canvas themselves.

Having used Canvas for two years, the experience is a pleasure. Managing files/modules is very easy. I can easily message any student using Canvas, set up assignments (with due dates and drop boxes), grade assignments and give students immediate feedback on their work. Canvas has many other features as well under the hood, but one thing very nice they offer is an excellent iOS app. I can message students easily from the app, and will also receive notifications whenever they submit an assignment. I believe Canvas also offers an Android app, though I have no experience using it. In either case, the web applications and the mobile apps make student instructor collaboration an excellent experience.

What do you dislike?

If I had to nitpick on some features, one is with the course attendance. Each time I take attendance, it records a new assignment I ultimately need to delete. Also there really isn't any clear way to setup extra credit assignments (it's more of a hack to make this work.) Lastly the mobile app doesn't contain all of the full features that their desktop/web application offers.

One more feature, I used Canvas' scheduling feature to block off times for students to register for group projects. Students were unfortunately able to register for the same time, and that ultimately threw off my schedule (I use Google Docs for the time being until I know that this is fixed.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Canvas is the ultimate course management system. Many schools are switching over to using Canvas, and the right thing to do is to go with the flow and do the same.

The main reason I love Canvas is their "Speed Grader." I'm able to provide feedback to the students immediately with each assignment. This eliminated me having to print out assignments previously and grade everything by hand (plenty of paper is being saved now thanks to Canvas.)

Canvas review by Natalie B.
Natalie B.

"Canvas for school"

What do you like best?

I like being able to access all of my class assignments in one place. It makes it easy to know where to submit assignments, it provides one place to look at syllabi and know what assignments are due, and I like how you can create settings to have any messages or announcements sent on Canvas to your email as well.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about the site itself - however, I do have some teachers that find it confusing in terms of publishing information and knowing whether or not they have set the class up correctly so that students are able to submit assignments. Therefore, some of my teachers do not utilize Canvas much, and that can be frustrating to have some teachers using it and some not.

I access grad school assignments on Canvas. The main benefit is having all of my class information in one place from semester to semester.

Canvas review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"Canvas is packed with tools for success"

What do you like best?

I like its ability to create a portfolio at the end of a quarter that contains all the projects that were done as well as the assignments so later you may look back at them fr guidance in case you need a refresher on some of the material that was covered.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to return to the home page to access all the school resources and departments I think they should all be listed at in the footer of every webpage. and not just from the home screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you set up your notifications and alerts correctly and forward them to your mobile device and personal email you will stay on top of what going on with your peers and colleagues, and always be aware of when something is expected or must be completed by a given time and date. Is great of working in groups and sharing files and discussion boards etc.

I have used canvas along with another application to track the grades of students who are not doing well due to attendance , participation , or even lack of understanding materials being covered so we can initiate a plan to get every student as much support as possible and ensure they have been made aware of all the resources available to them while there is still time to help them bring their grade to a passing score and encourage them not to drop classes unless it absolutely neccessary

Canvas review by Jennifer R.
Jennifer R.

"Good app for students"

What do you like best?

Canvas keeps all my course modules organized, with schedules, documents, contact information, course materials, etc. The ease of communicating with faculty within the app is a great feature, as are the quizzes.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes hard for me to find things within Canvas if I am not sure exactly where to look. I would like to get more notifications about quizzes so I realize with plenty of time that I have an assignment due.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Communicate with faculty in charge of putting materials on Canvas in regards to any issues encountered when looking for documents, schedules, videos, texts, etc. It can sometimes be hard to find things when you're not sure what you're looking for, but typically other students and faculty members will know what is available and where to find it. There are quizzes available through this app, but sometimes it is easy to miss when there is an assignment as you don't always get notifications about them. Communication with other members on Canvas is very easy to figure out. I have not tried to connect with other students but sending messages to faculty within each module is made simple, and you are able to answer people on Canvas by replying directly to emails that are forwarded to you.

Students have benefitted from this software by putting all course documents in one place instead of having to disseminate them among students and faculty in different websites, media, programs, etc.

Canvas review by User

"Better than BlackBoard! Easy to navigate"

What do you like best?

My favorite element of Canvas is how easy it is to customize each individual class. Some professors prefer to only use it for grading, while others provide tons of material through Canvas. The specific customization ability is awesome. It provides a clean, easy-to-navigate layout.

Additionally, their iPhone app works like a charm. It's maintained well and works great for when you're on the go.

I also like the fact that you can connect other services to Canvas if you so desire (LinkedIn, Google Drive, etc.).

What do you dislike?

I have not run into any problems when using Canvas, nor have any of my colleagues (as far as I'm aware). Generally speaking, everyone seems to enjoy using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used both Blackboard and Canvas, and I have found Canvas to be far more accessible and easy to use. The professors at my institution also speak highly of it and use it far more frequently than I have ever seen Blackboard being used.

Canvas allows instant communication between educators and students. It allows users to post grades, submit assignments, proctor exams, and much more. I'm not sure what we would do if we didn't have Canvas.

Canvas review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"Canvas Review"

What do you like best?

Canvas provides easy integration of courses and training material. I love that I can add videos to my lectures on canvas to make it easier for students to visualize the content. It is very user friendly and the support services provided by them are absolutely amazing as well!

I would highly recommend it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes because of enormous amount of the features provided by it, it can be very hard to navigate through canvas, which is why I end up leaning more towards Blackboard for content management. It involves a lot of trials and errors before you can actually get the hang of it. Nevertheless, once you get how to use it, it is totally worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to learn it the best you can. It is worth it.

I use it to update my students about Organic Chemistry lectures and my review sessions.

Canvas review by Mark L.
Mark L.

"Canvas - A great LMS"

What do you like best?

I have used Cavas for a few yesrs now, the previous LMS I used was not as intuitive are adaptive. I love the ease of setting up discussions, and content pages. You do not need to know HTML to design a great looking page, but if you do that is a plus. I love the way Cavas intergrates iwth third party software.

What do you dislike?

I am not as impressed wiht the discussions. I think they could make them more dynamic and more "Facebook" like. I would like to see forums that can be used throughout the modules in the curse.

Definitely financial benefits. The cost is way less than what we had previously. It also is very easy to use across schools..

Canvas review by User

"Canvas Instructure Review"

What do you like best?

Canvas makes it seamless for professors, educators and students to connect with each other online and organize the classroom in a virtual space.

The ability to conveniently share class lectures, notes, announcements to students and update/post grades without delay made it a highly valuable product for us. Furthermore, the navigation, features and GUI are very friendly and made Canvas an easy choice.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to get the hang of it initially but with time and usage, the platform becomes easier to command. The experience has been good and I don't have any particular things to dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to platforms like Moodle and Blackboard, Canvas provides an array of extra features which makes it a very good education/classroom management tool available in the market.

Using Canvas as the primary class management platform for our school.

Canvas review by User in Information Technology and Services

"More User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like Canvas because it seems to be more user friendly than previously used software (Blackboard), though some would argue otherwise.. It is more sleek looking and especially more personalizable. There seem to be more options in Canvas than Blackboard but the set up is simple enough for you to easily navigate

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there seems to be a lot of maintenance work done to the site. There have been more times this semester where Canvas was down than in previous semesters where Blackboard was implemented. This could be Canvas overall or something relative to only my organization but it is true

Canvas has been pushed to my entire university, rather than Blackboard, for classes. All teachers are required to use this for their classes and all students use it. I work on campus, and at my work we have created our own course and have started to roll out our own tests for workers to take for onboarding

Canvas review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Implementing Canvas in a flexible learning environment."

What do you like best?

The ability to monitor and report on student engagement and usage statistics in order to optimise future learning experiences, as well as provide data for deep learning and student retention analysis. The ability to provide multiple-stage assessments with formative assessments requiring a minimum pass mark before continuing to summative.

What do you dislike?

While not a dislike exactly, I personally would like to see more documentation, video tutorials, and examples for implementing 3rd party integrations and using the available APIs to extend functionality. One of our current tasks to improve is the ease of integration between our custom in-house SIS and Canvas VLE, so anything that aids us in making processes such as enrolment easier is always going to be a massive plus!

Providing a cohesive, modern learning experience across all our campuses and education pathways that can be kept to a consistent high bar despite our limited resources. We are able to support our teaching staff through the provision of their course content while our small tech team keep everything standardised. Previously the experience of students has varied greatly depending on which campus location they were on, what pathway they studied within that campus, and other factors such as individual lecturers. That is now a thing of the past and we can be confident that all students receive content delivery to our highest standards.

Canvas review by Graham B.
Graham B.

"Simple to get up and running with instant results"

What do you like best?

For me the most impressive part of Canvas is the support. From the initial discussions around deployment to the speed in which Canvas staff help get the product running I have found the whole experience refreshing and impressive. The ongoing support is also worth its weight in gold.

What I also like about the system is that when discussing with our corporate clients they seem to instantly like the system. We have had feedback from everyone of the clients we are working with that they like what they have been shown and they can see how it will work for the learners.

What do you dislike?

I think the overall visual appeal could be improved to become more app like. Corporate clients do tend to have a slightly elevated expectation and whilst Canvas wins them over on functionality this could be improved.

Not really a dislike but worth considering. Also the thumbnails on videos need to have a more modern feel. If you connect to a Ted Talk or youtube it happens but upload a video in canvas and you get a tiny image really hard to see. Add to this if we upload videos the system only takes the first frame as an image it can often leave just a blank window. Not major dislikes but worth noting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build a concensus for change and then go for it. You can spend years evaluating but once you have scanned the market get moving.

Deployment of a corporate facing VLE for our Masters and Exec Ed programmes. We have been able to bridge a gap between the Exec Ed and University that has not been possible before and we now have up to date functionality in one place.

Canvas review by Stacy L.
Stacy L.

"How I used canvas "

What do you like best?

What I like best about Canvas is that I am able to assign classroom assignments on Canvas. It helps our classroom go paperless. In addition to what I like best about Canvas is that I am able to assign classroom assignments, quizzes, tests, discussion board, posts and etc. to my students. When creating assignments, you can add images, videos, voice audios, and links. It makes assignments much more fun and engaging for my students. My students can log on to their profile through canvas and work on their assignment either from home, in the classroom or elsewhere in the school building. As the creator of the assignment, you can turn assignments on/off for students.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Canvas is that it is a little complex to create assignments if you are trying to create something that hasn’t been published or created.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Canvas for older students such as intermediate elementary and higher.

I am using Canvas to help manage classroom paperwork load and communication. The benefit is that you can see students activity and results in real time. This keeps the student engage and learning. For example, when we are responding to a classroom assignment, I can pull the screen to the white board and have students look at each other's responses or their own. I have low learners who often use other students idea or response to help them come up with their own response. The great thing is that I can hide students name and make it anonymous so they do not know who's response it is. This makes the discussion post exciting for all the kids. In addition, the benefit is that students are all learning from and resourcing from one another, and simultaneously, building connections. In all, I enjoyed using this software when assigning in class tasks.

Canvas review by Farzan S.
Farzan S.

"Canvas is a MUST for any university!"

What do you like best?

Canvas allows us to communicate with professors, students and course TAs in a timely and efficient manner. Also, its a great resource to consolidate all course materials (lectures, assignments, syllabus etc) and review course grades as the semesters moves forward. Overall, it's been a great experience using Canvas.

What do you dislike?

I feel it can be improved by including options for video conferencing between students and/or sharing video/audio that can be played on the website (instead of downloading them and playing on a media player).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Early adoption by faculty and staff is very important before moving to student adoption.

It has been extremely useful for course cataloging, and improving course speicifc communication between students and professors. Also, it serves as an excellent database of all course content that can be revisited at any time to refresh ourselves of the course.

Canvas review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Nice look, but hard to understand"

What do you like best?

The clean look, white space, mobile app is helpful for accessibility. There a lot of great integrative features that make the classroom experience much more engaging and less stressful throughout the various milestones in the semester.

What do you dislike?

The app does not send notifications even when they are enabled! It's also difficult to create new threads, not very intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the settings are right and make sure you are communicating in the correct group. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between different message threads.

I use Canvas at my University graduate classes. It's a helpful place to store files and have group conversations, but as a whole, the class was not notified of many updates because the app does not push notifications even when they are enabled. This caused a lot of communication issues throughout the course.

Canvas review by Kristin Cheyenne R.
Kristin Cheyenne R.

"Best LMS I've worked with"

What do you like best?

Canvas is super intuitive and user-friendly from the back-end (meaning creating assignments, uploading Files, etc.) I've managed to build an entirely online writing course using Canvas and had few issues.

What do you dislike?

The rubrics are not great for writing, and the ability to create your own rubric is very limited. The student view is also limited as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've used Blackboard, Sakai, D2L and Canvas, and Canvas blows the others out of the water. Love it.

Canvas allows my students to connect with my class digitally, submit assignments, access Files, etc. The benefits of Canvas are extensive for teaching in that i can post announcements, handouts, classwork, and accept files digitally.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Best Learning Management System"

What do you like best?

Canvas is easy to use and learn for everyone. While I consider myself above average in terms of being able to pick up new software, others in my office love how simple it is to learn also. Very easy to find support for settings and features in order to customize my teaching site and grading options also. The variety of assignments that you can create (quizzes, uploaded submissions, modules, attendance, extra credit) have met every need in my teaching experience. The Speed Grader option is my favorite function, and actually makes me look forward to grading assignments.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, but there are probably more customization features they could keep adding for those who want that extra ability to play with more settings and options. Recommendations for instructors to turn off assignment notifications when first using the system (the default is for too many emails, in my opinion).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend for any higher education institution to implement uniformly.

Canvas has been the best LMS over the past 5 years that I have used while teaching. Both instructors and students love the simplicity and it creates a uniform experience for all when they know what to expect from the way they interact with it. The organization of each Canvas site is similar, so across courses at our university students are familiar with browsing the course content.

Canvas review by Joey T.
Joey T.

"Canvas: A Tool for Academia Instruction"

What do you like best?

We used Blackboard in the past at Clemson, so some of my review will be a comparison. Canvas has ease of use, speed grading, multiple submission methods, graphic interface is superior.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our school system, Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the quizzes, adding rubrics for grading, speed grading, and other assessment tools. It's worth it. Also, use the inbox/mail feature, it's really nice.

I figured out how to have students submit assignments into Canvas, that had to be submitted in paper in the past. I taught a class of 180 students, and sorting alphabetically, reading through and grading on paper, then transferring that grade to blackboard took too long. Now students submit through Canvas, I grade in Canvas, and the grade is added to my gradebook.

Canvas review by Wade A.
Wade A.

"Another Car with Great Bells and Whistles"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of the Canvas is the API's that allow me to create and automate. The Canvas system is a great LMS that makes it easy for students to interact and engage. The mobile app helps keep both student and teachers connected.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the number of clicks as a faculty member to create certain content or access certain information. One example is the gradebook when I go to put a grade and comment for an assignment from the gradebook (the grid page) I receive a dialogue box where I can put the grade and comment but they have separate buttons for submission so I cannot do them both at the same time.

Also it would be nice to be able to access quiz question banks from the quizzes that utilize them. This would all me to edit a quiz from a module and then edit the question bank(s) associated with the quiz.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product. Take time to explore it.

I use it to teach my courses. In one entry level programming course I realized the APIs so that I could create an autograder that took my grading time from 1-2 hours a week to about 15 seconds a week.

Canvas review by Misty J.
Misty J.

"Canvas User Experience"

What do you like best?

Canvas is user friendly, while still providing robust learning options. It is K-12 friendly while also providing an excellent platform for Professional Learning, campus support, and more. I also love the amazing customer support that we receive. My CSMs have all been amazing!

What do you dislike?

I wish some of the add-ons, such as Arc, Bridge, Practice, etc were included in the base price of Canvas so that we could utilize all these tools without the cost-prohibitive nature. I would love to be able to use these tools in conjunction with the way we already use Canvas in our district.

Canvas has allowed us to provide personalized learning to our teachers, a robust blended environment for our students, and a way to integrate many other products we are already using. Benefits have been an increase in our modeling of online and blended instruction strategies for our teachers. I also love that Canvas integrates with our SIS, so our teachers don't have to create classes or import students.

Canvas review by Francie M.
Francie M.

"Use Canvas it Rocks!"

What do you like best?

I like that Canvas is always updating to stay relevant and updated /they listen to what the users have ti say and use it if they can., The conference has been an eye opener of how much if Canvas I haven't seen yet. I love that we can keep classes for a longer time and go back to look at them or use the assignments. Being able to see what I have done, then going back to update it as needed. It cuts down on screen time.

What do you dislike?

Canvas works best with Firefox but i prefer Google Chrome. I'd like it to be more user friendly with google. There isn't much to dislike about the program.

I teach in higher education and love it for my hybrid and flipped classes. The ease of use is great. I just started using attendance and love it.

My eLearning team is great and easy to work with. They keep updated on what is happening in Canvas and share it with faculty.

I like being able to put my lectures online and use more time in the class for the hands on learning.

Canvas review by Laura S.
Laura S.

"Intuitive "

What do you like best?

We are an online k-12 school and we have used Moodle for many years. The limitations of the system lead us to look for a new system. Canvas was an easy choice as teachers and students alike chose Canvas as easy to edit, manipulate and navigate.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of elements of the system that require additional support and help with implementation but this can be explored over time. It might be good to train trainers to only show and teach basic elements first and then have different levels of training that move up tiers of expertise. Sometimes, the teachers see an element they want to try that ends up causing more stress for them in the end because they just were not ready for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See what your curriculum really looks like and functions in the system. Most demos were for self created curriculum, not purchased.

Our goal is to make learning and information easier for students and parents. If an LMS can minimize the technical issues and navigation problems and allow them to focus on the real issues such as learning and achievement, then we are successful. We also want to provide teachers with as close to a face to face experience as possible and Canvas has allowed us to move closer to that.

Canvas review by Brian B.
Brian B.

"Review from an English 12 teacher"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to build modules and have course content readily available and accessible for students at all time. I also think that Canvas allows me to keep my classroom organized in a manner that allows me to experiment and try new things with my students.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the peer review features. I think that it's clunky, for lack of a better term, and students aren't able to get feedback from students on their writing or projects in a truly meaningful way. I have used Turnitin.com in the past, and I know the two are compatible, but I think that some of the interfaces and features of the peer review/peer edit process could be revised.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend for educational purposes. I can't speak to some of the other parts of this, but as a regular user and someone who has been a part of training others to use this product, I have nothing but good things to say. I'll continue to hope that I can work with Canvas in the future at different positions.

The biggest things that have been solved is organizing my department and share information in a more meaningful way with people who are a part of the language arts department that I oversee.

Learn more about Canvas

Canvas Videos

Learning about Canvas?

* We monitor all Canvas reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.