Canvas

Canvas

Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning (and implementation and adoption and customer support and student success and bragging to your non-Canvas-using peers) easier.

Work for Canvas?

Learning about Canvas?

Canvas Reviews

Ask Canvas a Question
Filter ReviewsClear All Filters
Showing 33 Canvas reviews
Canvas review by Kaitlin B.
Kaitlin B.

"User-friendly but a slight learning curve--communicate in person with users first"

What do you like best?

I like how easily I manage classroom tasks like putting students into groups, organizing my gradebook, putting students into peer review pairs. A favorite feature is that students get alerts for new assignments information and due dates, making students more dependent on alerts than my mention of deadlines in class (which may be missed). I often teach repeat classes, and it is very easy to copy and edit a former course. I used to do most of this with Microsoft Word, paper copies, etc., because previous software was unnecessarily complicated. Canvas is much more user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

There's a few things you wouldn't necessarily know/notice, even with taking a tutorial (I strongly suggest taking a tutorial either online or with your institution, this was very helpful in the initial setup). For instance, from my standpoint of uploading files and assignments onto specific, carefully selected pages, I did not realize they were listed elsewhere in a very disorganized way (Files) until I read it in my formal student evaluations. I suggest asking students how THEY use the interface, and go over how you suggest they use it at the start of the course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see review about communicating with students in person about Canvas and its use.

As already stated, I use this in the classroom for classroom management, course organization, grading, and so forth. Now that I've overcome the fairly easy learning curve, I use it with ease to communicate with my students.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Canvas
Canvas review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="7d7ca0a2-b9d4-464a-aed8-a207552e9a6f">Joey T.</span>
Joey T.
" itemprop="name" />

"Canvas: A Tool for Academia Instruction"

What do you like best?

We used Blackboard in the past at Clemson, so some of my review will be a comparison. Canvas has ease of use, speed grading, multiple submission methods, graphic interface is superior.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our school system, Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the quizzes, adding rubrics for grading, speed grading, and other assessment tools. It's worth it. Also, use the inbox/mail feature, it's really nice.

I figured out how to have students submit assignments into Canvas, that had to be submitted in paper in the past. I taught a class of 180 students, and sorting alphabetically, reading through and grading on paper, then transferring that grade to blackboard took too long. Now students submit through Canvas, I grade in Canvas, and the grade is added to my gradebook.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Canvas review by Wade A.
Wade A.

"Another Car with Great Bells and Whistles"

What do you like best?

My favorite part of the Canvas is the API's that allow me to create and automate. The Canvas system is a great LMS that makes it easy for students to interact and engage. The mobile app helps keep both student and teachers connected.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the number of clicks as a faculty member to create certain content or access certain information. One example is the gradebook when I go to put a grade and comment for an assignment from the gradebook (the grid page) I receive a dialogue box where I can put the grade and comment but they have separate buttons for submission so I cannot do them both at the same time.

Also it would be nice to be able to access quiz question banks from the quizzes that utilize them. This would all me to edit a quiz from a module and then edit the question bank(s) associated with the quiz.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product. Take time to explore it.

I use it to teach my courses. In one entry level programming course I realized the APIs so that I could create an autograder that took my grading time from 1-2 hours a week to about 15 seconds a week.

Canvas review by Seth J.
Seth J.

"Much better than the alternatives"

What do you like best?

I've used Blackboard and Moodle, but Canvas is by far the best. The abilities it gives you to set up your course in different ways are very powerful. I like the options that are available for quizzes, and the gradebook is pretty flexible.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook could use a few more options, like do not count a grade, but still show it or only count points up to a certain maximum. I'd like to be able to rename sections like "quizzes" to something like "homework" which is what I use it for.

I use canvas to share files with my students, administer homework and keep my gradebook. It allows students real-time information on how they are doing and what they need to complete in my courses.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas is a user friendly LMS with a few glitches."

What do you like best?

I like the speed grader and the ease of uploading files. Although the grade book could be faster, it is easy to understand and to set up. I like that you can mute grades. I also like that previous semesters remain accessible. I like that assignments can be copied between courses and that test banks can be created. It is nice to be able to grade within the speed grader for papers that need comments and editing. Much better than having to download them.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it cannot perform item stats on multiple answer questions. I wish the speed grader was mobile friendly. I dislike that once an assignment is graded it doesn't automatically progress to the next assignment. Too much clicking. Also the gradebook can be very slow to load. Sometimes papers that open in speed grader do not appear with the same formatting as if it was downloaded. This can sometimes result in students being unfairly penalized for their work.

It is used by my current place of employment for hybrid and online classes. It works well for meeting with students.

Canvas review by Lauren B.
Lauren B.

"Favorite LMS"

What do you like best?

Easy to use -- more intuitive than Blackboard

Gradebook and setting-up grading systems is not complicated.

Modern looking

Easy for students to use

Cuts down on nearly all my paper

Less cluttered and out of date looking than Blackboard

What do you dislike?

Limited configurations.

I wish that I could add title tabs that did nothing

I wish there was maybe a webbing system to collect units.

The Modules start to get full and a bit cluttered without a way to organize or differentiate the information in each module.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use and has a decent app, which students like. I think it helps instructors, even those who are less computer-comfortable, keep an organized and more communicative class.

Using less paper. I have had such bad luck at using paper-based assignments with my students. This keeps me organized and structured.

It keeps all my assignments and grading in one place.

Canvas review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

"A convenient LMS"

What do you like best?

The best part of Canvas is its convenience. It is easy to get started and if you have your entire organization using it then everything automatically links together. That means no needing to send invite codes or signing up different accounts for different groups; everything is right there for you.

What do you dislike?

Creating quizzes can be somewhat time-consuming and they're not always very intuitive. Although it's an LMS, it doesn't support gradebook integration with the gradebook program we use so grades still have to be transferred manually. There have also been a couple instances last year where the Canvas server went down, impacting lessons for that day.

Canvas allows me to have the majority of tasks, assignments, links, and files all in one place. Since it's online, it can be accessed anywhere. It also offers a "Commons" area where you can share and find resources from other creators. This is really great for comparing similar activities and also looking at what the expectations are by others. For anyone working with 11th/12th grade students, this is a great resource for understanding what college professors might expect.

"Canvas Revolution"

What do you like best?

Canvas is exceptionally easy to use for end-users. Adoption of the LMS jumped quickly from 8.33% usage to 75% after adoption. We have stopped all previously required LMS training for faculty who use Canvas at our institution (~900 faculty users) and we don't even think about our students in terms of initial training (~25,000 students).. Optional training is available for all. We love the consistent interface and accessibility of the features throughout.

What do you dislike?

Faculty do forget to publish their work. While self publishing is important, I wish there was an easy way for verification that they want to leave a page without publishing, for example. Third party tools that are automatically integrated are not all 508 compliant, making it difficult to state the product is fully compliant. The communications tool is cumbersome, especially archiving messages. The gradebook can also be challenging for faculty and is one area we find training is really necessary.

We document our full accreditation report and evidence/documents in a Canvas shell - which was very successful and was very easy for the WASC accreditation team to use (2016). We host almost all campus committees on Canvas, specialized programs have their own shells as well. Essentially Canvas has become a key repository for our institution that documents business and operational activities. We had previously tried other tools as an institution with little adoption or success. The integrations between Canvas and 3rd party tools has reduced redundancy in documentation and entry (eLumen, Blue, Starfish, etc).

Canvas review by Administrator

"Easy to use, embowering, engaging, and interactive."

What do you like best?

Canvas has so many great features, from speedgrader to LTI implementation, Canvas is a strong tool for teacher and students. We train our teachers using a badge gamefication and we love the easy of Badgr within the platform. We also like the power of Arc, and the new screencast feature. There are many other things that I like about Canvas, but I'd ramble on forever ;-)

What do you dislike?

I would like to see Canvas move away from block rich content editor to a more free flowing page design like Wix. Not many features use Flash, but the ones that do, I'd like to see it moved to HTML5 so that it works seamlessly with iPads. The apps are still developing, and many of our students use the app, but there is a lot of hoops to jump through. If the app could be more of a closer mimic to the web version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great!

We were looking for a place that students and teachers could make their learning experience more meaningful and empowering, and Canvas was the answer. We use it for gradebook passback to our SIS and we love the ability for students to submit assignments digitally.

"Grading made easy"

What do you like best?

I love how easy everything is to keep track of! Students have no problem knowing what's due when and it's easy for me to provide grades and feedback. I also appreciate the fact that it cuts down a ton on my paper waste. The grade calculations are like magic and makes grading a breeze. It's also easy for students to contact me and vice versa since they are not always the best about checking email but can usually be counted on to check the course.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like is the publishing. I really have trouble knowing what's published when. I can publish an entire module, course, etc. but if I didn't publish the file itself it's not accessible. It just doesn't make sense that I'd need to publish something so many times in order for it to be visible to students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're still using a gradebook, Canvas will change everything. It's not just for online but also in person classes as it helps instructors and students maintain organization better.

It's saving me so much time grading and designing curriculum. Instructors are able to share assignments with ease, making it much easier to complete the layout. It's really cut down the time I spend grading which has added so much productivity to my day.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Helpful for managing courses"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to store, organize, and share files with people taking a course or collaborating on a project. The file submission tool and gradebook export to Excel are also very easy to use!

What do you dislike?

Having to sign in every time I open Canvas in my web browser is a bit inconvenient. The user interface also takes some time to get used to.

The project I have used Canva for is one that requires many people to find and access documents and to upload work as they complete it. Canva is a very convenient and secure way for us to organize these files and provide access to the colleagues who need them.

"Review of Canvas"

What do you like best?

Canvas has been incredibly easy for our community to adopt, with minimal complaints all around. No LMS is perfect, but our faculty have been pleased with the changes so far.

What do you dislike?

There are some features that are not as robust as they should be, the gradebook options, the quiz types, both being replaced, we know, with quizzes.next and a new gradebook, so I am easy to learn how well those enhancements will be taken. Extending the functionality of canvas, while an awesome idea in the beginning as well, as turned into a real challenge.

We have connected Canvas to Grouper for course creation and support. We are also increasingly supporting non-degree programs and "project sites" as well using Canvas. We have been able to bring more siloed groups to one system as well.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Seems to be designed for small classes"

What do you like best?

It has a lot of fairly sophisticated features. Its chat help is very responsive and the advisors are always friendly and mostly knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

It is extremely cumbersome to use. The defaults seem to be designed for small classes making it very time consuming to use for large classes. Overall I feel that it takes me twice as long to do things on Canvas than on our old LMS system.

As a simple example, when a csv file is imported into gradebook, every row and column that it does not recognize is flagged. If you have multiple sections in one file this means that you have to click on every single student. There is no option to tell Canvas to silently ignore lines.

As a second example, the gradebook requires recognition of several columns to match students instead of a single ID. This makes importing grades from other services extremely difficult.

One further example is that the default listing is to have students listed as first name last name instead of last name, first name like pretty much every other program in existence. There is a way to change the way it lists thing in the program but it is extremely obscure and pretty much impossible to find without help.

Finally moving things around in modules is extremely slow and tedious. Overall I am extremely frustrated and disappointed in this product.

It does what it is suppose to but makes it extremely time consuming to do so.

Canvas review by Alyssa B.
Alyssa B.

"Canvas Review"

What do you like best?

The gradebook is great. I love the spreedgrader feature. It's really nice to be able to set assignments and rubrics and have them carry from semester to semester

What do you dislike?

The messaging system needs to be upgraded. It is not the easiest site to navigate at times.

Canvas helps me put my efforts toward teaching my students. Not just grading them.

Canvas review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"A Useful LMS"

What do you like best?

Canvas offers an efficient way to communicate with students, publish documents, and provide feedback on their work.

What do you dislike?

Generating reports such as student gradebooks must be done individually, and can't be done efficiently in a batch by class or course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The better you get to know Canvas, the more powerful it becomes. So far, I have used it in a fairly limited way to publish assignments and documents, grade assignments and provide feedback, keep a gradebook, communicate with parents and students, and share materials with other instructors. I have not delved far into the use of rubrics, outcomes tracking, data analysis on student performance, and a variety of other functions it offers. My main reservation is that some kinds of reports are cumbersome to use, and the email feature is rather limited and also cumbersome. In the three years I've been using it, I've seen some improvements, and there has been a somme communications from the developer about addressing concerns we have raised, but the actual pace of change for some of the more obvious problems seems a bit slow. However, the basic design philosophy seems sound, and I think Canvas will improve over time as they come to understand their clients' desired functionality better.

Communicating and providing information to students and parents; tracking outcomes progress.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

"Canvas is a powerful, fast LMS."

What do you like best?

I like the Speedgrader feature which lets me quickly grade assignments. I really like how the rubric feature lets me click a rubric box for each category to quickly grade and provide feedback to students. I like that all student assignments are time-stamped.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how many pages I have to click through to change an assignment due data, availability date and cut-off date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is by far the best LMS I've used. I was a user-tester of the final 4 options and was happy that Canvas, my choice, was chosen.

I can organize and quickly grade multiple assignments for a large number of students. This has replaced Excel for gradebook features for me as well.

Canvas review by Noel R.
Noel R.

"Canvas is an amazing learning platform."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Features like the new gradebook and tools to connect with students. As a Canvas admin, I love the Canvas Community.

What do you dislike?

If there is one thing that I dislike about Canvas, that would be not always being 100% sure about what the final outcomes/fixes are when submitting help tickets.

Not really any major problems. There are numerous benefits with using Canvas reliability and up-time is the main advantage of using Canvas as our LMS.

Canvas review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Solid Course Organization Platform"

What do you like best?

I like the Gradebook functionality, and the ability to easily contact students about specific assignments.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface lacks intuitiveness. It can be a little clunky to navigate at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like this better than Blackboard, and some other course organization software I've worked with in the past.

We've utilized Canvas to handle post-decision forms for study abroad programs, and it's made it really easy for us to collect and share pertinent information while also tracking what students have completed.

Canvas review by Administrator

"The Long Road to Canvas"

What do you like best?

I love the UX of Canvas because it is friendly and inviting, for both faculty and staff. I also like how many of the most common elements are surfaced for instructors, especially the content sidebar when building pages and assignments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of power-user features like robust rubrics and more advanced gradebook features. I also do not like the lack of customization options for things like the main course navigation menu. Canvas also buries some expert features like external tool integrations.

Canvas has made the training of faculty and the development of new courses much easier. Instructors love how easily they can build content and communicate with students.

Canvas review by User

"Everything in one place"

What do you like best?

I'm a new user and I have found that Canvas makes teaching more complete! I needed a gradebook and I have been pleasantly surprised by the various ways to see student growth.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the pages interface is so basic. I wish the pages looked more like a real website and had easier creation tool like the new google sites.

I have been using Canvas to improve my ability to see where my students are at in their learning. I am also excited to learn more and use Canvas to be my teaching hub for all the various resources that I use each day in my classroom.

Canvas review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"Canvas is very intuitive and in Amsterdam we are very enthoustic aboou this!!"

What do you like best?

thats its intuitive and love the lay out. very positvie about the lti and connection through api's

love the themes and easy adjusting them

adoption at our institution by our instructors and students went very well and they are very happy with canvas

What do you dislike?

the granular permissions. we want to devide add edit and delete instead of bundling them and also devide the permissions which are already combined. it should be more flexible

the gradebook for holland is not sufficient, we work with decimals and not points and instructors wish to import and export their grades in an easy way, this is now not possible

educational issues

Canvas review by Christy S.
Christy S.

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

Canvas' community of users and commentment to support, and continuous improvement. (ie our CRM, Canvas Support, the Canvas Community)

What do you dislike?

Often problem that greatly impact instructors (and students) are slow to production, for example Gradebook improvements and Banner to Canvas grade push are still and issue. We have made necessary adjustments in our instance, but I am sure they impact many users.

n/a

Canvas review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Easy for students, useful for faculty."

What do you like best?

From the perspective of the students, there are many advantages. The calendar feature and modules make due dates easy to find. It is also easy to link items together and they are available in multiple locations. From a faculty perspective, I appreciate the ability to easily grade work using crocodoc, create and reuse rubrics for papers, link with respondus and reuse quiz questions for exams, and use software for proctoring online exams. It makes grading quiz questions (except essay) easy and I like the statistics that are also available. I also like being able to create different due dates for different sections of the course.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook has features that I find to be difficult. For example, I'd like to be able to input a column that is just text (even if I type a number) and it doesn't affect a student's score. The attendance feature isn't useful for the way I calculate attendance so I can't use it and I can't change it. I also wish the modules (or items) would entirely change color if they are not visible to the students, instead of just the little cloud being a different color. The little cloud is too easy to overlook and students may go several days or weeks without telling me that they cannot see something I keep referring to in announcements.

Canvas helps the students and I stay connected when we are not in the classroom and keeps us on the same timeline.

Canvas review by User

"Canvas is worth the switch!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is being able to create attractive, content rich pages that help students navigate the course and find everything they need with minimal clicks.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I really dislike about Canvas. However, I would like to be able to add overall comments in the gradebook, and to adjust the final letter grade manually for each student.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Canvas to anyone considering it. It is easy to use, aesthetically pleasing, and students love it!

I do not use Canvas for business.

Canvas review by Jenny S.
Jenny S.

"Close, but not there yet"

What do you like best?

has almost all the functionality you need for a course. Gradebook feature automates process and saves time.

What do you dislike?

Lack of sophisticated layout tools. Worse than Word. Instructure needs to hire some/more usability experts to tweak the user experience. Lack of ability to customize. Can not even change the nomenclature used in the navigation. As an instructional designer, I'd like to more control over design-- and provide a content manager tool to instructors to input their content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Instructure pumps out a fresh version of Canvas every couple months. The good news being that it constantly improves based on user feedback, the bad news is that instructors and students have to adapt to upgrades frequently.

This is the LMS for the college I work for, both as an ID and insgtructor.

Canvas review by User

"Canvas - an awesome LMS"

What do you like best?

Canvas is one of the best LMS's that I've used throughout my educational career. The many features and its capability to seamlessly integrate with apps that we already use makes it even more valuable to our school.

What do you dislike?

It does not communicate with Infinite Campus or so I've been told. I would like it to easily export selected assignments into our current gradebook.

One platform that works for all content areas. Multiple learning styles and implementations can be utilized.

Canvas review by Daniel Z.
Daniel Z.

"Does some things well."

What do you like best?

Easy to use to post notifications, notes, or lectures.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook. I can only intermittently access it with Firefox, and the company was unable to replicate or resolve this issue. Also quirky for assigning a curve to grades or changing the scale on tests once they have been posted and taken (for example to set a different high score). Setting up tests can also be difficult until you see what specific settings do, and students complain about being confused by the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most of the annoyances are minor.

Students want rapid access to test results, along with a metric. They also have spotty note-taking skills, so being able to post notes and lectures with figures is helpful.

Canvas review by Rachelle W.
Rachelle W.

"Intuitive Choice"

What do you like best?

The platform is user friendly and the possibilities are endless.

What do you dislike?

That people make it harder than it needs to be!!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the change - you won't be sorry!

Course management system for middle school along with gradebook.

Canvas review by Administrator

"Three years with Canvas"

What do you like best?

The simplicity, not only in running the system, but in training faculty, old and new, in how to get up and running.

What do you dislike?

There are pieces of the Gradebook that I wish could be tweaked/hidden from the student view or even the instructor view

Recommendations to others considering the product

Interface easy to use; Support for both faculty and students great

As an LMS for the University, a single software for all instructor to use.

Canvas review by Consultant

"Logical LMS"

What do you like best?

I like the linear structure that is easy for students to navigate. I also like how items are embedded within modules, which makes for a user-friendly organization.

What do you dislike?

I wish columns could be created in the gradebook but I understand the reasoning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

It is easy for instructors to become well-versed and comfortable with the LMS.

"My Canvas Review"

What do you like best?

Open Source / Open API development.

User friendly

What do you dislike?

Cannot select specific permission fore new roles since all roles must be based on an existing role. Roles must be 100% customizable. .

Issues of use at scale i.e. gradebook

Replacing legacy Sakai LMS with a modern customizable LMS.

Create a culture of online learning

Canvas review by Administrator

"Providing access to students"

What do you like best?

Canvas provides access to content for students who may not generally have access to content.

What do you dislike?

The fact that the gradebook doesn't have multiple grading methods. We are a standards based grading district--we need the mode of each standard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gradebook revamp

We are able to use Canvas for teacher collaboration.

Canvas review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Complete System"

What do you like best?

Almost everything is integrated in Canvas.

What do you dislike?

Currently we cannot push grades from Canvas to reports.

Students have notes accessible and quizzes are automatically graded and included in a gradebook.

Learn more about Canvas

Canvas Videos

Canvas Downloads

Learning about Canvas?

* We monitor all Canvas reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.