Canvas

Canvas is the LMS that makes teaching and learning (and implementation and adoption and customer support and student success and bragging to your non-Canvas-using peers) easier.

Work for Canvas?

Learning about Canvas?

Canvas Reviews

Ask Canvas a Question
Filter ReviewsClear All Filters
Showing 16 Canvas reviews
Canvas review by <span>Kaitlin B.</span>
Kaitlin B.

User-friendly but a slight learning curve--communicate in person with users first

What do you like best?

I like how easily I manage classroom tasks like putting students into groups, organizing my gradebook, putting students into peer review pairs. A favorite feature is that students get alerts for new assignments information and due dates, making students more dependent on alerts than my mention of deadlines in class (which may be missed). I often teach repeat classes, and it is very easy to copy and edit a former course. I used to do most of this with Microsoft Word, paper copies, etc., because previous software was unnecessarily complicated. Canvas is much more user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

There's a few things you wouldn't necessarily know/notice, even with taking a tutorial (I strongly suggest taking a tutorial either online or with your institution, this was very helpful in the initial setup). For instance, from my standpoint of uploading files and assignments onto specific, carefully selected pages, I did not realize they were listed elsewhere in a very disorganized way (Files) until I read it in my formal student evaluations. I suggest asking students how THEY use the interface, and go over how you suggest they use it at the start of the course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see review about communicating with students in person about Canvas and its use.

As already stated, I use this in the classroom for classroom management, course organization, grading, and so forth. Now that I've overcome the fairly easy learning curve, I use it with ease to communicate with my students.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Canvas
Canvas review by <span>Joey T.</span>
Joey T.

Canvas: A Tool for Academia Instruction

What do you like best?

We used Blackboard in the past at Clemson, so some of my review will be a comparison. Canvas has ease of use, speed grading, multiple submission methods, graphic interface is superior.

What do you dislike?

Integration with our school system, Banner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the quizzes, adding rubrics for grading, speed grading, and other assessment tools. It's worth it. Also, use the inbox/mail feature, it's really nice.

I figured out how to have students submit assignments into Canvas, that had to be submitted in paper in the past. I taught a class of 180 students, and sorting alphabetically, reading through and grading on paper, then transferring that grade to blackboard took too long. Now students submit through Canvas, I grade in Canvas, and the grade is added to my gradebook.

What Learning Management System (LMS) solution do you use?

Canvas review by <span>Seth J.</span>
Seth J.

Much better than the alternatives

What do you like best?

I've used Blackboard and Moodle, but Canvas is by far the best. The abilities it gives you to set up your course in different ways are very powerful. I like the options that are available for quizzes, and the gradebook is pretty flexible.

What do you dislike?

The gradebook could use a few more options, like do not count a grade, but still show it or only count points up to a certain maximum. I'd like to be able to rename sections like "quizzes" to something like "homework" which is what I use it for.

I use canvas to share files with my students, administer homework and keep my gradebook. It allows students real-time information on how they are doing and what they need to complete in my courses.

Canvas review by User in Higher Education

Canvas is a user friendly LMS with a few glitches.

What do you like best?

I like the speed grader and the ease of uploading files. Although the grade book could be faster, it is easy to understand and to set up. I like that you can mute grades. I also like that previous semesters remain accessible. I like that assignments can be copied between courses and that test banks can be created. It is nice to be able to grade within the speed grader for papers that need comments and editing. Much better than having to download them.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it cannot perform item stats on multiple answer questions. I wish the speed grader was mobile friendly. I dislike that once an assignment is graded it doesn't automatically progress to the next assignment. Too much clicking. Also the gradebook can be very slow to load. Sometimes papers that open in speed grader do not appear with the same formatting as if it was downloaded. This can sometimes result in students being unfairly penalized for their work.

It is used by my current place of employment for hybrid and online classes. It works well for meeting with students.

Canvas review by <span>Lauren B.</span>
Lauren B.

Favorite LMS

What do you like best?

Easy to use -- more intuitive than Blackboard

Gradebook and setting-up grading systems is not complicated.

Modern looking

Easy for students to use

Cuts down on nearly all my paper

Less cluttered and out of date looking than Blackboard

What do you dislike?

Limited configurations.

I wish that I could add title tabs that did nothing

I wish there was maybe a webbing system to collect units.

The Modules start to get full and a bit cluttered without a way to organize or differentiate the information in each module.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use and has a decent app, which students like. I think it helps instructors, even those who are less computer-comfortable, keep an organized and more communicative class.

Using less paper. I have had such bad luck at using paper-based assignments with my students. This keeps me organized and structured.

It keeps all my assignments and grading in one place.

Canvas review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

A convenient LMS

What do you like best?

The best part of Canvas is its convenience. It is easy to get started and if you have your entire organization using it then everything automatically links together. That means no needing to send invite codes or signing up different accounts for different groups; everything is right there for you.

What do you dislike?

Creating quizzes can be somewhat time-consuming and they're not always very intuitive. Although it's an LMS, it doesn't support gradebook integration with the gradebook program we use so grades still have to be transferred manually. There have also been a couple instances last year where the Canvas server went down, impacting lessons for that day.

Canvas allows me to have the majority of tasks, assignments, links, and files all in one place. Since it's online, it can be accessed anywhere. It also offers a "Commons" area where you can share and find resources from other creators. This is really great for comparing similar activities and also looking at what the expectations are by others. For anyone working with 11th/12th grade students, this is a great resource for understanding what college professors might expect.

Learn more about Canvas

Canvas Videos

Canvas Downloads

Learning about Canvas?

* We monitor all Canvas reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.