Carbonite

When you run a small business, you have a lot on your plate. That's why Carbonite Business backup solutions are designed with your to-do list (and your budget) in mind.

Work for Carbonite?

Learning about Carbonite?

Carbonite Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 111 Carbonite reviews
Carbonite review by <span>Dr. C. Michael S.</span>
Dr. C. Michael S.

Keep Precious Data Safe

What do you like best?

I like that I can set a timer and that there is plenty of flexibility in the application (i.e. cloud migration) Additionally, I use it for internal cloud backup - it works very well this way.

What do you dislike?

I have not experienced any problems with the software itself, however it can be expensive - depending on the size of your organization. At this time it is not affordable, so I have had to stop using it for now. My intentions are to reinstate the use of this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you at least give Carbonite a try. The company offers a trial version that allows you to see the ease of use and the features that are available.

Assurance of records, development files, accounting documents and photography. These are all file types that we need to make sure we do not lose as it is unaffordable. The benefit being that we can keep records and files for clients without worrying.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Carbonite
Carbonite review by <span>John F.</span>
John F.

Decent, but not the best

What do you like best?

The best part of Carbonite is the ease in setup. It is super quick and simple to install and setup. Basically does it all for you with default settings, which will backup all your common storage folders. You will want to have a look into the settings to add other folders you want to be backed up, or remove some if you do not wish to backup that folder...such as your Downloads.

What do you dislike?

The worse part of Carbonite, is the very slow, snail-speeds while downloading files. If you ever have to restore a file or system, just be ready to wait a day, or five, before it finishes. This is not due to your internet connection, it is Carbonite not allocating enough bandwidth to download stuff fast.

For example - for 56gb of data off a server I had to restore, it took (LITERALLY) 4 days...nearly went over to the 5th day. I complained severely to them, with no sympathy or concern - they simply did not care. It is their policy and they will stick to it. If you know your downtime from the time data is lost to the time you restore it, must be less than a week, then Carbonite is simply not a viable option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you consider wisely before settling on Carbonite. The reasons are the super slow speeds with restoring data and the fact that they just removed the ability to backup pictures and videos from your mobile devices. This was one of the best features of Carbonite and without it, it has demoted itself down to the same playing field as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive and others. With this change, one must concern themselves with what other changes Carbonite may make in the future that will reduce the quality of their offering.

No problems. The simple point of having a backup is to ensure you never need it. If you are depending on your backup for anything, than you are doing many things wrong. A backup is the last option, when all else has already failed to restore the data. Therefore, Carbonite is not solving any problems - simply providing the solution necessary to ensure stability and dependability of the integrity of your data. And the benefits...are none. The slow speeds simply make this a decent option for your needs of having redundant backups.

What Cloud Migration solution do you use?

Carbonite review by <span>Kurt S.</span>
Kurt S.

Fairly reliable and customizable

What do you like best?

The ease to create and change backup sets. It works on large and small servers with out much difficulty.

What do you dislike?

It has tripped off on us and has not backed up records we needed backed up. We have set up confirmations on a 20 or so servers, and it would be nice if they had a web -based interface that we could check the backup status of all our servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After implementation, it goes quite smoothly. Just be sure to check in every once in a while to make sure everything looks chipper.

Hands free backups for all of our servers and drives. It has saved us time and brain power being able to rely on it to do its job unsupervised.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

A painful experience, especially during restores

What do you like best?

The best part about this software is how easy it is to set up. You simply choose the folders and files that you want on the cloud, and it will automatically upload them whenever they are changed. It's a nice system, and was one of the first that could back up to the cloud in this way.

What do you dislike?

We have many clients that use various backup methods, so I've worked with many different configurations. I will say that the Mac support is really minimal. The software requires reinstallation sometimes, and backups will not go through for a week at a time until you find out there's a problem. Aside from Macs, the restore process takes way too long. If you use the web interface to restore, good luck - the web page will time you out during the upload, which effectively cancels the upload and you have to start over. So that means if you are restoring large files, you need to click in the window every 5 minutes so you don't get logged off. I haven't restored for a while, but when I did the bandwidth was extremely slow even though on my end it is very fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look more at other software. Carbonite has a lot of competitors. If all you are concerned with is price, Carbonite may be what you're looking for. But, if you have large files, you may want to consider a different alternative.

Carbonite is a low cost cloud backup solution that works on Macs and PCs.

Carbonite review by <span>Barbara R.</span>
Barbara R.

Set it up it does the rest

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self-managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. The UI is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired. I can also select which areas of my hard drive I want to backup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the automated updates cause it to go offline. I have had to reinstall a few times just to get it back up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need something to back up your personal computer that is not going to cost you a fortune this is an excellent solution.

I have a daily backup of all the files I have been working with in case I accidentally delete or change something critical. Also, I don't' have to think about the backups they are always there.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Very Slow Backups only good for small data sets.

What do you like best?

Their phone support team is very good and the ability to adopt new computers to the account is good. I've never had any problems recovering data for customers with Carbonite.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is VERY, VERY SLOW. I tried for ONE YEAR to backup a server and it NEVER was able to complete a full backup set, not ONCE IN AN ENTIRE YEAR... I still have several clients with laptops that have Carbonite, but they are ones with a very small, mobile, data set (just a few GB)... The reseller markup is only 20%. While that is better than Microsoft, it is not as good as AWS, Code42, or Cozy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small data set of a less that 20GB on a laptop, then this is a viable service. I would not choose Carbonite if you have a data set of 100+ GB. Their service is too slow to backup that much data...

Backing up small, mobile, data sets on laptops is the best use for Carbonite.

Learning about Carbonite?

* We monitor all Carbonite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.