Carbonite

4.0

When you run a small business, you have a lot on your plate. That's why Carbonite Business backup solutions are designed with your to-do list (and your budget) in mind.

Work for Carbonite?

Learning about Carbonite?

Carbonite Reviews

Showing 114 Carbonite reviews
Carbonite review by User in Marketing and Advertising
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Carbonite
Carbonite review by Corey F.
Corey F.

"Love this for our Office staff auto backups"

What do you like best?

I can setup someone and send them an email link to setup their own PC to be backed up to carbonite. And with the auto backup feature it can then auto backup anytime a file is changed instead of running a complete backup again. I have also used the Restore feature more then once due to employee deleting files or once in a blue moon HDD failure.

What do you dislike?

I have only run into one minor annoyance. I can right click a folder in windows and say to not back it up however if there is a file change in that fold it will start backing up that file. Slightly annoying more then a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong if you need a simple program to backup user files and profile information on a daily basis.

File loss due to employee, software or hardware failure. It has saved files that the end user had deleted the day before.

What Cloud Migration solution do you use?

Carbonite review by John F.
John F.

"Decent, but not the best"

What do you like best?

The best part of Carbonite is the ease in setup. It is super quick and simple to install and setup. Basically does it all for you with default settings, which will backup all your common storage folders. You will want to have a look into the settings to add other folders you want to be backed up, or remove some if you do not wish to backup that folder...such as your Downloads.

What do you dislike?

The worse part of Carbonite, is the very slow, snail-speeds while downloading files. If you ever have to restore a file or system, just be ready to wait a day, or five, before it finishes. This is not due to your internet connection, it is Carbonite not allocating enough bandwidth to download stuff fast.

For example - for 56gb of data off a server I had to restore, it took (LITERALLY) 4 days...nearly went over to the 5th day. I complained severely to them, with no sympathy or concern - they simply did not care. It is their policy and they will stick to it. If you know your downtime from the time data is lost to the time you restore it, must be less than a week, then Carbonite is simply not a viable option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you consider wisely before settling on Carbonite. The reasons are the super slow speeds with restoring data and the fact that they just removed the ability to backup pictures and videos from your mobile devices. This was one of the best features of Carbonite and without it, it has demoted itself down to the same playing field as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive and others. With this change, one must concern themselves with what other changes Carbonite may make in the future that will reduce the quality of their offering.

No problems. The simple point of having a backup is to ensure you never need it. If you are depending on your backup for anything, than you are doing many things wrong. A backup is the last option, when all else has already failed to restore the data. Therefore, Carbonite is not solving any problems - simply providing the solution necessary to ensure stability and dependability of the integrity of your data. And the benefits...are none. The slow speeds simply make this a decent option for your needs of having redundant backups.

Carbonite review by Kurt S.
Kurt S.

"Fairly reliable and customizable"

What do you like best?

The ease to create and change backup sets. It works on large and small servers with out much difficulty.

What do you dislike?

It has tripped off on us and has not backed up records we needed backed up. We have set up confirmations on a 20 or so servers, and it would be nice if they had a web -based interface that we could check the backup status of all our servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After implementation, it goes quite smoothly. Just be sure to check in every once in a while to make sure everything looks chipper.

Hands free backups for all of our servers and drives. It has saved us time and brain power being able to rely on it to do its job unsupervised.

Carbonite review by User

"Where is Carbonite Back Up when you actually need your files?"

What do you like best?

I like that the product backs up your files automatically.

What do you dislike?

Poor Restore- files are blow up or lost during the restore process. I spend a significant amount of time searching for documents after a restore. I find many of them and manually restore the files but some documents are not restored.

Server not available due to maintenance- company does maintenance during business hours, so when you are having a technical issue and you need access to files you may not be able to obtain them which defeats the purpose.

None . It doesn't save time as you have to search for documents that end up in different files after the restore process. Also, the company does regular maintenance during business hours which completely shuts down the server, so you can not access any files during that time. The current maintenance will impact access to Carbonite's Cloud for more than 24 hours. So what is the point?

Carbonite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A painful experience, especially during restores"

What do you like best?

The best part about this software is how easy it is to set up. You simply choose the folders and files that you want on the cloud, and it will automatically upload them whenever they are changed. It's a nice system, and was one of the first that could back up to the cloud in this way.

What do you dislike?

We have many clients that use various backup methods, so I've worked with many different configurations. I will say that the Mac support is really minimal. The software requires reinstallation sometimes, and backups will not go through for a week at a time until you find out there's a problem. Aside from Macs, the restore process takes way too long. If you use the web interface to restore, good luck - the web page will time you out during the upload, which effectively cancels the upload and you have to start over. So that means if you are restoring large files, you need to click in the window every 5 minutes so you don't get logged off. I haven't restored for a while, but when I did the bandwidth was extremely slow even though on my end it is very fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look more at other software. Carbonite has a lot of competitors. If all you are concerned with is price, Carbonite may be what you're looking for. But, if you have large files, you may want to consider a different alternative.

Carbonite is a low cost cloud backup solution that works on Macs and PCs.

Carbonite review by Dr. C. Michael S.
Dr. C. Michael S.

"Keep Precious Data Safe"

What do you like best?

I like that I can set a timer and that there is plenty of flexibility in the application (i.e. cloud migration) Additionally, I use it for internal cloud backup - it works very well this way.

What do you dislike?

I have not experienced any problems with the software itself, however it can be expensive - depending on the size of your organization. At this time it is not affordable, so I have had to stop using it for now. My intentions are to reinstate the use of this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you at least give Carbonite a try. The company offers a trial version that allows you to see the ease of use and the features that are available.

Assurance of records, development files, accounting documents and photography. These are all file types that we need to make sure we do not lose as it is unaffordable. The benefit being that we can keep records and files for clients without worrying.

Carbonite review by Barbara R.
Barbara R.

"Set it up it does the rest"

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self-managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. The UI is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired. I can also select which areas of my hard drive I want to backup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the automated updates cause it to go offline. I have had to reinstall a few times just to get it back up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need something to back up your personal computer that is not going to cost you a fortune this is an excellent solution.

I have a daily backup of all the files I have been working with in case I accidentally delete or change something critical. Also, I don't' have to think about the backups they are always there.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Very Slow Backups only good for small data sets."

What do you like best?

Their phone support team is very good and the ability to adopt new computers to the account is good. I've never had any problems recovering data for customers with Carbonite.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is VERY, VERY SLOW. I tried for ONE YEAR to backup a server and it NEVER was able to complete a full backup set, not ONCE IN AN ENTIRE YEAR... I still have several clients with laptops that have Carbonite, but they are ones with a very small, mobile, data set (just a few GB)... The reseller markup is only 20%. While that is better than Microsoft, it is not as good as AWS, Code42, or Cozy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small data set of a less that 20GB on a laptop, then this is a viable service. I would not choose Carbonite if you have a data set of 100+ GB. Their service is too slow to backup that much data...

Backing up small, mobile, data sets on laptops is the best use for Carbonite.

Carbonite review by Brooke C.
Brooke C.

"Carbonite "

What do you like best?

The best things about Carbonite was how it worked in the background without needing to be told manually to save. For IT, it was easy to set up multiple computers to back up and maintain the individual identities of each machine being backed up.

What do you dislike?

Some of the best parts of Carbonite were also the things that made using it the most frustrating. While it would back up constantly, towards the end of use there were constant issues keeping it up to date, manual resets wouldn't take, and Carbonite would sometimes go for days without backing up to the cloud. It was also not very user friendly for individuals who were not computer savvy. For individuals who are not computer savvy, the technical support team at Carbonite sometimes had a hard time making their meanings clear and it would help if there was some type of support set up for end users who are not IT professionals, especially when it comes to using some of Carbonite's features effectively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The biggest recommendation I have is to also use an external hard drive to back up, in case part of your issue is a network failure, you would still be able to directly connect to the files you need to use and be assured that you can preserve your files during a network failure or some other failure to save to the cloud.

We solved the problem of being able to back up important files to Carbonite. As a law practice, it was important to be able to back up important client files in a matter that preserved the folders they were in, automatically and on an almost constant basis.

Carbonite review by Elizabeth M.
Elizabeth M.

"User friendly backup"

What do you like best?

Carbonite automatically backs up your files and programs at preset times. I don't have to remember to back up my files, but can choose to backup when I've made changes if I don't want to wait for the preset time.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it doesn't back up for unknown reasons, then I recieve an endless loop of emails reminding me to backup even when I manually backup my files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use for any user, admin rights allow upper management to access user documents as needed or in the case of an employee leaving the company. Backup in the background while working, or during closed hours. It does not interfere with business and helps protect your files from computer crashes or failures.

If my computer crashes, I can still get to my files from another computer. I am able to access my files by logging in anywhere I need to. I don't have to worry about losing important documents due to computer errors or losing power in my building.

Carbonite review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Simplistic Automatic Background Backup"

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. Whether managing with the application or from web portal, the UX is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired.

What do you dislike?

The biggest issue I have with Carbonite is that the software does not always properly auto update, which can cause backup issues. Most users cannot easily resolve without IT resolution to restart services. If the auto-updater did not require the service to be manually restarted, I'd have very little complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure multiple user accounts are setup properly for invites and computer management. Track the updater status and enroll in the status update emails. This will show if the apps are not current or if there are other backup issues.

Carbonite has eliminated the need for continual tape drives/external disk drives for backup which used much more user time. We have benefited from cost savings, process simplification, increased security of data, and reliability.

Carbonite review by Leeon P.
Leeon P.

"Simple and reliable"

What do you like best?

Carbonite reliably backs up standard data like documents, pictures and more, plus any custom files depicted by the user. Carbonite allows unlimited storage per computer, keeping multiple versions which are easily selected for recovery.

A cursory glance within Windows Explorer allows the user to easily tell if a file has been successfully backed up via the colored dot overlaying the file icon. A right-click context menu allows individual file and folder backup customization.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite charges extra for the ability to backup data stored on USB drives and video files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carbonite is an affordable solution for the home user and high enough quality for the corporate user.

Review the backup status of files and add any non-standard files or folders to ensure no important data is missed.

Carbonite is easy to setup and it is very reliable. It has saved my hide at a few clients which lost data due to ransomware. The multiple version of data backups allows me to not only restore a non-corrupted version of the files, but also pinpoint when the infection occurred because the automatic backups happen quickly after a file is changed.

Carbonite review by Johnathan L.
Johnathan L.

"Pretty easy to use"

What do you like best?

There are several things to like about Carbonite. For one you can have unlimited storage for one computer. Secondly, it is a leave it and forget it set up. Meaning that once you have t set up it goes on about its business with no need for you to do anything further. Also, recovering of items is really easy. I also loved the reference to Star Wars with the name. Cost for an individual is very appealing.

What do you dislike?

I don't think this is a problem with Carbonite but it does take a long time to get the initial back up finished. On my computer it took over a week to upload 150 GB of data. Videos do not back up automatically and have to be uploaded manually. Cost can become restrictive if you need to back up several computers in a home networking scenario.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Back up solutions are different for everyone. I would suggest trying their free trial on a test system and see if it can meet your needs before storing your actual data on the service.

I was not solving a business scenario as I use Carbonite for home back up purposes. With Carbonite I am able to have piece of mind that my personal computers and laptops are being backed up. Also being able to recover files pretty easily has been a life saver on a few occasions.

Carbonite review by David P.
David P.

"Business or Personal Carbonite Cloud Data Protection for Advanced Backup and Rapid Recovery"

What do you like best?

A complete backup solution for organizations instead of just a cloud storage application.

Easy to install and manage.

Competitive pricing.

Easy to scale.

Transparent to the user.

Easy to understand and comprehensive reports.

What do you dislike?

The Plus and Prime plans are only available for Windows OS so if you have a Mac platform you won't be able to use these features.

Pricing plans are based on an annual basis - no monthly plans.

Lacks file sharing capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in charge of Data Backup system in a larger organization, you may want to consider a private cloud systems for backup and disaster recovery. Carbonite is an excellent option for small business.

Internal and the local organization's back up systems are essential. Carbonite provides a second layer of protection against internal system failures. Our organization has realized the primary benefit of a storage solution of site in case of internal catastrophic disasters. Having redundancy in our organization's back up systems is essential for immediate data recovery.

Carbonite review by Heather R.
Heather R.

"Pros and Cons"

What do you like best?

I like how you can have Carbonite backup your files as soon as you make changes. Very easy to install and setup. You can setup your own backup policy for your company. This is very beneficial to minimize the amount of space backups take.

What do you dislike?

The biggest dislike is that it is almost impossible to get your backup files downloaded from the cloud backup. I have tried to download a 5 GB backup file and it would either fail or take 4 hrs. Would be great if Carbonite would get this function working better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is very easy to use. Has a lot of great features. You can set your own backup policy for your company. Make sure you setup a policy for your company. The Carbonite default policy backs up way too much and takes a lot of space.The backup dashboard is great. The software is very easy to setup. I would use an on premise solution and not the cloud.The only issue we have with this is it takes a very long time to download your recovered backups from the cloud. If you have a smaller size backup, they download a lot faster. Overall we like the software very much and we continue to use it.

The problem that we are solving is that all of our remote users and laptop users can always have up to date files backed up. This is a huge benefit if a hard drive were to crash.

Carbonite review by J. Douglas W.
J. Douglas W.

"Simple, reliable, and cost-effective solution"

What do you like best?

We like that it works behind the scenes, keeping everything backed up in real time. It allows you to configure exactly which folders are backed up, too.

What do you dislike?

It can lock up from time to time, but not that often. The first time you run it, it can take quite a while to backup all of your selected files, but that is to be expected. Support was okay but not terrific.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the competition. Read plenty of reviews. Make a list of the pros and cons. When you look at the features that Carbonite offers, I think you'll see that they are the best value for the money *and* reliable.

We can backup our financial data as well as important information relating to our clients. On a more personal note, we can ensure that our family photos are kept safe in case of fire, natural disasters, etc.

Carbonite review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Carbonite is Safe Secure and Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like that carbonite is a way to back up our sytem off site and that it is completely secure. I feel confdent every time I use it. I get emails when things aren't working right and they are quick to help me resolve the issues.

What do you dislike?

I have only had one billing issue on their end. They are working to fix it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost can look daunting but when you consider data recovery off site for something that could have been saved in a "cloud based" setting it is worth every dollar.

We still use a hard copy external drive for our business. But the benefit here is noone can drop it and lose our data.

Carbonite review by Adam W.
Adam W.

"Set it and forget it"

What do you like best?

Carbonite does everything for you and is completely automated. The installation is simple and the setup a breeze. If you encounter any problems the custom support is top notch and responds to issues quickly.

What do you dislike?

Does not have any SQL database maintenance features and those must be run separately. Formerly, I had both the backup of the SQL database and the database maintenance automated in the same script, but now with Carbonite I must run the database maintenance manually. Also, restoring the database is more difficult because the backup is in a proprietary Carbonite format which requires the use of Carbonite to perform the restore, whereas before I could load my SQL backups directly from the SQL software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really is one of the best automated cloud backup solutions out there.

When our SQL database backup solution stopped functioning Carbonite's server solution saved the day. It now automates the backup of the SQL database.

Carbonite review by Jordan P.
Jordan P.

"Carbonite review"

What do you like best?

I like that you can navigate all the way through folders and select a specific file.

What do you dislike?

It is somewhat limiting on the mobile version to see what you can do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The backup process is great, but it is somewhat time consuming. The initial backup takes some time, but once it is up and running it works very well. The mobile experience is not fantastic, and has room for improvement. The ease of use and setting up different backup profiles is a big positive, and backup recovery doesn't take that long.

Users losing a file or upgrading to a new laptop it makes it easier in terms of down time. The time it takes to recover the backup is definitely a benefit.

Carbonite review by JT M.
JT M.

"Carbonite - a great backup solution"

What do you like best?

Carbonite was easy to use and very robust in options for deploying the software. Trouble free operation from this software.

What do you dislike?

The only reason we went away from Carbonite was because of price. We have an obligation to take bids under our contract and award the contract to the company with the lowest bid that meets requirements. Carbonite lost solely on price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carbonite is a great solution to ensure that critical data is backed up and available when needed. One of the most robust solutions out there with many options for controlling how and where data is backed up (i.e. redundant on site backups, cloud, etc.).

Trying to ensure critical data is backed up both on site and off site so that we are covered when malicious activity strikes.

Carbonite review by Melissa N.
Melissa N.

"An Amazing Backup"

What do you like best?

Everyone needs a place to backup their stuff. I am a person that tends to constantly delete things. I have so much stuff that I do on my pc and sometimes I batch delete. In the process of batch deleting I sometimes get rid of stuff that I actually needed to keep. Carbonite is also amazing if something happens to my pc and I have to get the files elsewhere.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the only thing that I really hate about doing backups is the amount of time that it can take to back up. Also sometimes some things back up that is sort of pointless, as it does backup some useless files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with any product try it before you buy it.

There are really no business problems that I am solving. As a photographer I do need multiple backup locations for my shoots in-case something happens to my main storage or first backup.

Carbonite review by User in Higher Education

"Low cost, but hard to tell what you're getting from backup software until you have to use it"

What do you like best?

Low cost, backs up quickly and efficiently

What do you dislike?

Can be difficult to verify when backup occurs based on dot icons for folders etc

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are an individual or work independently, and have fairly limited data backup needs, this should work fairly well for you. It's low cost and gets the job done. Cost is especially attractive for independent individuals with limited data needs relative to those of organizations.

I am an academic who has large amounts of data to process, so this works really well for backing up my data and files (without which, I am basically lost). The software allows me to have peace of mind regarding my data access, even if my computer is lost or stolen. It also backs up fairly efficiently, and backs up files only when changes are made to a file or folder. Dots on folders and icons give indication of backup status.

Carbonite review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Simple Easy Backup "

What do you like best?

All my important work hard-drive files are back up in the Carbonite cloud & accessible by any PC with web access.

I'm not always able to use our work VPN to access files on our shared-drives.

All that being said, I can rely on Carbonite to safely/securely keep by critical files backed-up

What do you dislike?

Selected folders appear to take about 30-45 minutes to synchronize files.

Even with a fast internet connection, I wish the files/folers synced faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From what I understand, because pricing is competitive, it becomes an easy decision to make the backup switch.

This backsup work data when I don't have access to the company's VPN (to access the business shared drives)

Carbonite review by Dan A.
Dan A.

"Carbonite is a simple, low-cost option for reliable automatic, off-site backups"

What do you like best?

It is simple to setup the program. The annual cost is low. It runs in the background and is automatically backing up files as they change. The backups are off-site so we don't need to secure them from damage at our office.

What do you dislike?

I haven't had any issues and don't have any dislikes at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are various online backup solutions available. We compared reputation, reliability, support ratings, and price and have been very happy with Carbonite. We have needed to use support very often but when we do they are quick to respond and knowledgeable.

Reliable, almost instant, automatic, off-site backups.

Carbonite review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Carbonite is a great set it and forget it backup program"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of setting up Carbonite to backup the folders I want. It is very easy to just point it to the particular directories I want backed up and to then just have it automatically back everything up. I also like that if your backup hasn't happened in a certain period of time Carbonite will send you an email letting you know that your backup is overdue.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything that I dislike about Carbonite. It does what it is supposed to and it does it well without being particularly complicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product to anyone that is looking for a backup solution. It works very well is easy to use. Once you have set it up it automatically takes care of everything else without you having to do anything.

This program is great for automatically backing up all of your important files so that if your hard drive were to crash you wouldn't lose everything. It is also nice being able to access your backed up files from a different computer.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Consumer Goods
Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Better Choices Available"

What do you like best?

Carbonite is easy to install and easy to understand for our end users.

What do you dislike?

It has a tendency to run poorly on Macbook/laptop computers, but works well for our desktop users. The inconsistency makes it hard to recommend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Carbonite as a hands off solution. We have several users that don't realize it's running on their system and a few that feel like it slows their system considerably. We've tried the solutions presented by Carbonite, but have not had any luck. My suggestion is to run the trial. I think most people will be very happy with the performance.

Backup multiple computers/users with no network connectivity.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Lack of customer service."

What do you like best?

I had no opportunity to like anything.After 5 years of paying for Carbonite backups, I had call to use it when my trusty pc crashed. I was asked to reset my password when I tried to log on, and subsequently not permitted to reset it until I answered security questions that, quite frankly, I could not answer unless I was actually logged into my account. After 2 attempts to work with customer service and getting nowhere,, I paid someone to pull the files off my old hard drive and cancelled Carbonite service. Ironically they gave me no issue about questioning my identity as the account holder when I called, lol. I mean, I could have been anyone. They also said they could get me access to my account now if I wanted. Of course they could, they could have done that all along, and they chose not to.

I'll be keeping my backups on Google drive and flash drives from now on. Lesson learned.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you value ease of access, do anything else.

None.

Carbonite review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"Solid Backup at a reasonable cost."

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and use.

Very easy to restore individual files.

Flexibility - Can backup continually or on a schedule. Continual backup does not seem to degrade performance provided you have a reasonably fast processor and plenty of memory.

Reasonable price for cloud storage.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite provides a facility to do an Image backup (at extra cost), but they do not store it; it will copy to an attached external drive. You can do this for free with Windows Backup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not pay extra for an Image backup. You can do that with Windows.

Every business needs both a local and off-site backup capability. Cloud storage works very well for offsite storage. Most business use some type of backup software that can be scheduled for local backup.

Carbonite fills the bill for the cloud storage at a reasonable cost and ease of setup/use.

Carbonite review by Brittanie S.
Brittanie S.

"Awesome Backup Service"

What do you like best?

The ability to back up various types of files, documents, emails, settings, photos, and more. They also have several different backup plans and methods available for you to choose from and will also assist with migration.

What do you dislike?

I cant think of anything that I disliked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carbonite is an excellent product for individuals and businesses no matter the size.

Carbonite played a major role in our disaster recovery plan and working in health care it is a must that you have one. I actually recommend everyone to have one, it will be a lifesaver.

Carbonite review by User

"Carbonite"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to have your files available anytime you are away from your computer at another computer if you are on line. Many times I have needed a file from my home computer while I am at work and visa versa. My company backs up my computer to Carbonate, and I also use it at home for my system.

The mirror image function has been extremely beneficial when a hard drive goes bad and you want to maintain all of your programs and setting without hour and hours of set up and re-load time. I have used it once at my office, and it was a blessing.

What do you dislike?

Initial back of of files when you first get on Carbonite takes a good while if you have a lot of files to back up. After that initial backup the continuous back up is not an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My computer has the data noted in this review, but my company also uses the program for our server. I do not know the total for that data.

I highly recommend. We had a problem with my computer and needed to reload the mirror image backup. We were having some difficulty. Our tech support called them and they spend all of the time necessary and through a couple of levels of support to help us get the computer up and running again. It is a pretty complex system and being able to use the mirror image with the help of their tech support on the phone was invaluable in time and cost.

I create e-learning and it requires that I work off of my local computer rather than the company networked system. The company backs up to Carbonite, but my files needed to be independently backed up from my actual computer rather than the server. I also have a multitude of software programs that I use for video, graphic development, music, and the software to design the course and loading them to the LMS. I also must store both the raw courses and the produced courses. I have a two terabyte hard drive a 3 terabyte external drive for storage and an additional terabyte drive for the mirror image backup. Carbonite handles all of my program needs.

Carbonite review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Important Tool for Business"

What do you like best?

It is always helpful to have a backup system in place, especially in the business world. Carbonite allows for easy access to backup work.

What do you dislike?

If you do not take the time to learn the system, it can slow your computer down big time, mostly because you do not need it running 24/7. Read the manual and figure out the ins and outs or expect to be restarting your frozen computer frequently.

Computers crash, it just happens, the benefits include having a back up to recover. There is nothing worse than coming in after a weekend and have your computer malfunction totally. You may think it is the end of the world and your work is lost but businesses that use Carbonite are saved and the fear can subside

Carbonite review by Derek S.
Derek S.

"Carbonite - the set it and forget it cloud backup tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of download and install, does not require much configuration. Once backed up, it synchronizes to the cloud and unless you go over your quota, just does it's thing.

What do you dislike?

Slow upload. After a period of time, the bandwidth allotted is bottlenecked and slows down. If there is a very large amount of data, it can take weeks to completely upload.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software, especially for simple backup of files and documents.

Automated backup of essential data and bare metal of computers / servers. Software does a great job especially on simple data of backing up files. Set it and forget it.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Saved the day"

What do you like best?

Installs quickly, centrally managed for someone like me that has staff all over the place, its nice to know their computers are backed up

What do you dislike?

kind of expensive for the amount of data backed up, each increase seems to have more and more money attached, would love to see an unlimited plan

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can save the day when you need files backed up and people are remote. i've had a VP lose everything before and was able to restore her files.

Backing up users remotely

Carbonite review by Vanessa R.
Vanessa R.

"Love...carbonite!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can pick and chose what I want Carbonite to back up for me and where I would like it backed up at.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything so far that I dislike!

Backing and restoring my company files has never been easier! Easy to use even.

Carbonite review by Leslie C.
Leslie C.

"Carbonite is a great cloud backup option"

What do you like best?

Data being stored in the cloud helps me feel secure against any problems, like ransomware, etc. It's automatic now that it's setup. Backup simply happens.

What do you dislike?

It's very expensive when you add servers to the product.

Needed to be able to backup data securely to the cloud. The same benefits you get from any backup service--peace of mind.

Carbonite review by Lisa S.
Lisa S.

"Liked Carbonite for Quick and Easy Backups"

What do you like best?

That it was backing up all the time, which I appreciated, always knowing that my data was protected.

What do you dislike?

That it doesn't back up the programs, only the files..... Which is of course the most important, however now that I have a Mac, I just use Time Machine and it backs up everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only thing you must know is that it backs up data only, not your programs.

It is my electronic insurance policy :) The big benefit is peace of mind . The last thing you want is to lose all your data if your computer gets stolen, lost or ruined.

Carbonite review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Great Tool"

What do you like best?

Can be set up to perform back ups during off hours. Works with a pc and mobile devices. Backs up important information in case of a virus or a computer crash. Able to access information from mobile device.

What do you dislike?

product is a bit pricey. Sometimes will interfere with other scans. Will not back up some information sometimes. Customer Support isn't the best.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good product to use for backing up files and important information. It is pricey and can sometimes be a bear to work with. Customer Support is a bit lacking.

We use it to back up all of our files. We have had computers and a server crash in the past and we are still able to access the information we need.

Carbonite review by Kyle T.
Kyle T.

"Easy enough for anyone to figure out."

What do you like best?

I enjoy how easy to use Carbonite is, from a management stand point I can see exactly how much data each team member is storing. This allows me to assess when we may need more space, and who may or may not be following our policies.

What do you dislike?

I dislike not being able to remove antiquated backups when necessary. For instance when an employee moves on I would like to be able to clear that back up space out.

We have almost completely solved out backup solution, and have the benefit of Peace of mind.

Carbonite review by Mahmoud D.
Mahmoud D.

"A great tool as a Backup but not the best"

What do you like best?

what I like the best about Carbonite is it's ability to backup your laptop, your phone and your tablet. In one account you can backup all of these devices. It also allows you to access all of these backed up files from any device including your phone. Their mobile app is great too. Easy to use and access the files.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is very slow. It takes forever for the software to backup your files. Also, they give you unlimited files backup but they don't backup videos automatically. I wish they would backup video automatically as I have so many videos that I would like to backup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carbonite is great for backups but not the best. I prefer using Dropbox to it but I use both just in case I delete a file in my Dropbox by accident. You also need to know that It doesn't backup videos automatically so make sure to go and choose to backup your videos. It is slow but it doesn't take much Ram or processing power.

Carbonite gives me the peace of mind of having my files backed up and stored. I can access all my files wherever I want and from whatever device. It is also very easy to transfer files from one computer to another when using Carbonite.

Carbonite review by Mary L.
Mary L.

"Carbonite Saves so much time and data"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and auto selects which folders to backup. Everything is encrypted and servers are fast to restore from. Pricing is great as well.

What do you dislike?

Many other options on the market, but Carbonite is trusted and reliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setup and perform a full backup right away. Use it was a file migration tool for other PCs.

Saving customers data and allowing us to transfer from one PC to another if the hard drive fails.

Carbonite review by Rob R.
Rob R.

"OK for personal use"

What do you like best?

Works well for constant backups and good option for home users.

What do you dislike?

recovery for a crashed machine is very time consuming. YOu have to rebuild and then redownload the agent and THEN get your files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good for smaller use or personal use only. i would not recommend using this to backup a business network or a server environment.

Helping people who cant afford an imaged based solution still have a backup

Carbonite review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Simply "set it and forget it" backup solution"

What do you like best?

As an independent IT consultant, I often would refer my customers to Carbonite for their backup needs. After a simple set up there are no worries about changing tapes, or inserting DVDS or sending media off-site. When you take media, hardware, man-hours, and training into account for other backup solutions the price is quite reasonable.

What do you dislike?

As is the nature of online backups, the initial backup or total restore can take a very long time if you don't want to pay extra to have media shipped to you. It's not their fault, but some environments might need the better restore time that local backups can provide.

Carbonite helps prevent data loss by keeping a backup of files and data corruption by keeping previous versions of those files as well.

Carbonite review by Jordan W.
Jordan W.

"Excellent service! No one should be left without a backup"

What do you like best?

Two things: peace of mind (My hard drive has crashed before, and Carbonite has saved me) and the ability to access my laptop's files from my phone or tablet.

Both are important to me, and make it all worth it.

What do you dislike?

One time, when I upgraded computers, I couldn't get Carbonite to install properly. Since then, I've had no trouble.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do it!

The peace of mind knowing your files are protected as well as the ability to access your computer's files while you're on the go.

Carbonite review by Gabe C.
Gabe C.

"Quick and Effective Backup"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is controlled by a portal that you access via an internet browser so if you have multiple computers, they are all controlled via one portal.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the fact that backup continuously is the recommended default.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to look around at other solutions as well, they all have pluses and minuses.

We are solving that we have a backup off site and is safe if the building burns down.

Carbonite review by Lauren W.
Lauren W.

"Carbonite for backup files"

What do you like best?

I don't have to think about backing up my files

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike as the program is automatic and I never have to worry that my files are lost. I can retrieve them at any time.

backing up all my files

Carbonite review by Wendy C.
Wendy C.

"Carbonite Back up"

What do you like best?

It runs quietly in the background, does what it it supposed to do with no issues

What do you dislike?

nothing, this product is great! I love that I don't have to worry about losing valuable information

Business information/files Backup

Carbonite review by Nancy R. E.
Nancy R. E.

"The File Storage and Back up Protection you need"

What do you like best?

Automatically backs up files and data to a secure location without the need for a dedicated on site server. User friendly, affordable, secure and has an auto back up feature so you do not forget to back up your data

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the auto back up runs a bit slow

Saving data automatically so it is preserved and not at risk if there is a system crash

Carbonite review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Carbonite has worked flawlessly for us"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Success rate of backups, not many failures, and usually any failures are due to service on servers needing startup.

What do you dislike?

Would like a little more detail and info on any failures on website dashboard

We are backing up our most critical data. Also saving a lot more man power using carbonite then what we needed for Backup Exec

Carbonite review by Nelson M.
Nelson M.

"With unlimited storage for one computer for $59.99 a year the performance is just average"

What do you like best?

Unlimited storage with the basic plan

Store large quantities of files

Plans that fit easily into your budget

Restoring your files is as simple as logging in to your online account

What do you dislike?

speed is capped after a plan’s storage threshold

Users cannot create public links to share and distribute files

In the event of a computer crash, restoring your files from Carbonite is as simple as logging into your online account and downloading everything back onto your device but it takes time because of the speed.

Learning about Carbonite?

* We monitor all Carbonite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.