Carbonite

When you run a small business, you have a lot on your plate. That's why Carbonite Business backup solutions are designed with your to-do list (and your budget) in mind.

Work for Carbonite?

Learning about Carbonite?

Carbonite Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 103 Carbonite reviews
Carbonite review by <span>Dr. C. Michael S.</span>
Dr. C. Michael S.

Keep Precious Data Safe

What do you like best?

I like that I can set a timer and that there is plenty of flexibility in the application (i.e. cloud migration) Additionally, I use it for internal cloud backup - it works very well this way.

What do you dislike?

I have not experienced any problems with the software itself, however it can be expensive - depending on the size of your organization. At this time it is not affordable, so I have had to stop using it for now. My intentions are to reinstate the use of this application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you at least give Carbonite a try. The company offers a trial version that allows you to see the ease of use and the features that are available.

Assurance of records, development files, accounting documents and photography. These are all file types that we need to make sure we do not lose as it is unaffordable. The benefit being that we can keep records and files for clients without worrying.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Carbonite
Carbonite review by <span>John F.</span>
John F.

Decent, but not the best

What do you like best?

The best part of Carbonite is the ease in setup. It is super quick and simple to install and setup. Basically does it all for you with default settings, which will backup all your common storage folders. You will want to have a look into the settings to add other folders you want to be backed up, or remove some if you do not wish to backup that folder...such as your Downloads.

What do you dislike?

The worse part of Carbonite, is the very slow, snail-speeds while downloading files. If you ever have to restore a file or system, just be ready to wait a day, or five, before it finishes. This is not due to your internet connection, it is Carbonite not allocating enough bandwidth to download stuff fast.

For example - for 56gb of data off a server I had to restore, it took (LITERALLY) 4 days...nearly went over to the 5th day. I complained severely to them, with no sympathy or concern - they simply did not care. It is their policy and they will stick to it. If you know your downtime from the time data is lost to the time you restore it, must be less than a week, then Carbonite is simply not a viable option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you consider wisely before settling on Carbonite. The reasons are the super slow speeds with restoring data and the fact that they just removed the ability to backup pictures and videos from your mobile devices. This was one of the best features of Carbonite and without it, it has demoted itself down to the same playing field as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive and others. With this change, one must concern themselves with what other changes Carbonite may make in the future that will reduce the quality of their offering.

No problems. The simple point of having a backup is to ensure you never need it. If you are depending on your backup for anything, than you are doing many things wrong. A backup is the last option, when all else has already failed to restore the data. Therefore, Carbonite is not solving any problems - simply providing the solution necessary to ensure stability and dependability of the integrity of your data. And the benefits...are none. The slow speeds simply make this a decent option for your needs of having redundant backups.

What Cloud Migration solution do you use?

Carbonite review by <span>Barbara R.</span>
Barbara R.

Set it up it does the rest

What do you like best?

Overall, Carbonite is very simple, essentially self-managing. There's very good support, and service levels. The backups are fairly fast and retrieval is very easy. The UI is easy to work with. You can order a complete physical disk for restore if desired. I can also select which areas of my hard drive I want to backup.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the automated updates cause it to go offline. I have had to reinstall a few times just to get it back up and running.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need something to back up your personal computer that is not going to cost you a fortune this is an excellent solution.

I have a daily backup of all the files I have been working with in case I accidentally delete or change something critical. Also, I don't' have to think about the backups they are always there.

Carbonite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Very Slow Backups only good for small data sets.

What do you like best?

Their phone support team is very good and the ability to adopt new computers to the account is good. I've never had any problems recovering data for customers with Carbonite.

What do you dislike?

Carbonite is VERY, VERY SLOW. I tried for ONE YEAR to backup a server and it NEVER was able to complete a full backup set, not ONCE IN AN ENTIRE YEAR... I still have several clients with laptops that have Carbonite, but they are ones with a very small, mobile, data set (just a few GB)... The reseller markup is only 20%. While that is better than Microsoft, it is not as good as AWS, Code42, or Cozy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small data set of a less that 20GB on a laptop, then this is a viable service. I would not choose Carbonite if you have a data set of 100+ GB. Their service is too slow to backup that much data...

Backing up small, mobile, data sets on laptops is the best use for Carbonite.

Carbonite review by <span>Brooke C.</span>
Brooke C.

Carbonite

What do you like best?

The best things about Carbonite was how it worked in the background without needing to be told manually to save. For IT, it was easy to set up multiple computers to back up and maintain the individual identities of each machine being backed up.

What do you dislike?

Some of the best parts of Carbonite were also the things that made using it the most frustrating. While it would back up constantly, towards the end of use there were constant issues keeping it up to date, manual resets wouldn't take, and Carbonite would sometimes go for days without backing up to the cloud. It was also not very user friendly for individuals who were not computer savvy. For individuals who are not computer savvy, the technical support team at Carbonite sometimes had a hard time making their meanings clear and it would help if there was some type of support set up for end users who are not IT professionals, especially when it comes to using some of Carbonite's features effectively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The biggest recommendation I have is to also use an external hard drive to back up, in case part of your issue is a network failure, you would still be able to directly connect to the files you need to use and be assured that you can preserve your files during a network failure or some other failure to save to the cloud.

We solved the problem of being able to back up important files to Carbonite. As a law practice, it was important to be able to back up important client files in a matter that preserved the folders they were in, automatically and on an almost constant basis.

Carbonite review by <span>Elizabeth M.</span>
Elizabeth M.

User friendly backup

What do you like best?

Carbonite automatically backs up your files and programs at preset times. I don't have to remember to back up my files, but can choose to backup when I've made changes if I don't want to wait for the preset time.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it doesn't back up for unknown reasons, then I recieve an endless loop of emails reminding me to backup even when I manually backup my files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use for any user, admin rights allow upper management to access user documents as needed or in the case of an employee leaving the company. Backup in the background while working, or during closed hours. It does not interfere with business and helps protect your files from computer crashes or failures.

If my computer crashes, I can still get to my files from another computer. I am able to access my files by logging in anywhere I need to. I don't have to worry about losing important documents due to computer errors or losing power in my building.

Learning about Carbonite?

* We monitor all Carbonite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.