Carlson Civil

Carlson Civil is one component of the Carlson Civil Suite and is designed especially for civil engineers and CAD technicians who need power and flexibility to make “short work” of even the most challenging design projects. At its foundation, Carlson Civil contains sophisticated and integrated command sets that are easy to learn, cost-effective and even fun to use!

Work for Carlson Civil?

Learning about Carlson Civil?

Carlson Civil Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 14 Carlson Civil reviews
Carlson Civil review by Trey G.
Trey G.

"Carlson Civil Suite vs. Civil 3D"

What do you like best?

Drafting tools, ease of use, surfaces module, surveying module not too much I don't like about it. Didn't realize how much I liked Carlson Civil Suite until I started using Civil 3D. TWIST SCREEN is SO much easier than DVIEW Twist or using an User Coordinate System (WHY????).

What do you dislike?

I don't like my company doesn't use Carlson over C3D. Customizing Spot elevations to use multileaders so they are parallel with the twisted screen. Actually probably and Autodesk problem more than Carlson.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For me it's a no-brainer to use Carlson over Civil 3D for just the ease of use but every module is just a better product that that of C3D.

Civil site development and surveying. Ease of use and ability of customization is much better than C3D. The drafting tools alone are an enormous benefit compared to other software packages. I will probably buy my one version to use at work so i don't have to design with C3D.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Carlson Civil
Carlson Civil review by Austin H.
Austin H.

"Carlson Civil And Takeoff for for a civil construction company"

What do you like best?

The ability to work with many different file types from the engineers to the field.

What do you dislike?

That more of the surface viewing, modeling, and calculations are not more dynamically linked and smoother to transition between. It can also be difficult for users that don't have CAD experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From my Civil construction experience it is great software for doing Takeoffs and light site modeling, but can be difficult for new users without AutoCAD experience to pick-up

We work with multiple software programs with their benefits and drawbacks, We do mostly takeoffs for estimating purposes, and light model building for the field. Carlson is a fundamental piece to our daily activities from pdf linework imports, and CAD clean-up to pad building and site excavation modeling.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

Carlson Civil review by Bill P.
Bill P.

"Carlson Civil was exactly what I needed for a start up firm."

What do you like best?

Carlson civil was cost effective and intuitive to learn. My previous experience was with a competitor and when I branched out and started my own firm, I found Carlson for a fraction of the price. What I liked most was that the support was excellent and the modules that I needed came with the Civil Package without having to pay for a lot of add ons.

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything that has given me problems. The support is excellent but I suppose because not everyone uses Carlson my only complaint would be that I wish more training materials were available to compare with high price competitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

By using Carlson, as a small business owner I could provide the same services as my competitors at a fraction of the overhead costs. I was also able to be more competitive on hourly rates because I had much less overhead to account for.

Carlson Civil review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Pleasant alternative to Civil 3d"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of the Carlson Software is the best part of it. I have found that I can simplify work flows based on this. We use this in Pipelines and there are a ton of simple commands that make pipeline data management easy. Everything from centerlines and stationing.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the way Carlson has the product set up to check for a license each time you run a command. This needs to be addressed and should just be and Start Up. This would benefit users that move from the office to the field.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are coming from a Civil 3D background there will be a learning curve. Just stick with it in the end you will be overall satisfied. there is also a ton of users out that have multiple help workflows for coming from one software to the next.

Over all cost of the software is better then the competitor. We can use this on multiple computer due to the cost of the project.

Carlson Civil review by Wes M.
Wes M.

"I use Carlson every day and love it."

What do you like best?

I like the Carlson package with the intelacad drawing engine because I used that previously. The integration with survey works very well.

What do you dislike?

I’ve had trouble upgrading from 2012 version. I tried 2013 briefly, then 2014 too. Still stuck on 2012.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will do pretty much anything you need as far as I’m concerned. Looking into some features I could use now and I’m sure they would work on it if I asked. You can tell by the many, many features that if you want it and they can do it, they will and have done so.

I have used it for everything in a couple mines from blast pattern design and asbuilts to the complete mine status map calculating all the volumes daily, weekly and monthly. Many various other construction type projects for producing sketches and creating layout points for survey. I have also used the roads program designing and editing roads. Now I am using it for 3d ditch design for installing pipelines.

Carlson Civil review by Xutong N.
Xutong N.

"Carlson Civil for Surveying Drawing"

What do you like best?

This review is about Carlson Civil Suite for surveying drawing. The software is very handy and easy to learn. Some of integrated functions can not only shorten the learning time but also help to speed up drawing time. The way that these commands run follows collection process of field surveying. I like the field-to-finish function. The tutorials in the help documentation really helps as well. Users can follow the step-by-step instructions to learn different aspects of Carlson Software.

What do you dislike?

The interface to access feature codes was a little bit of intimidating initially. There are so many settings you can choose and change.

Surveying mapping. Easy to follow and intuitive user interface.

Carlson Civil review by Felton W. B.
Felton W. B.

"Would love to consider Carlson again"

What do you like best?

Carlson has always been a very good and user-friendly platform to do Civil Design and Land Surveying. I feel that they are lacking in their customer support. I wanted to purchase a updated version prior to getting Civil 3D and I never got a call from a salesman. So I figured my I was too small of an entity for them to support.

What do you dislike?

Customer support for me is more important than anything. I'm not particularly fond of internet sales but becoming more comfortable if it involves lower price. Carlson is a company that is hard to contact.

I am just me and I need a civil software that is economical and user friendly. I don't do large scale projects and not a lot of road or sewer alignments. I need something less dynamic in scope.

Carlson Civil review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Land Surveyor"

What do you like best?

The most important reason is the ease of use. The navigation of the menus is easily accessible. With one click of a button you can go from one module to another. No need to have your screen populated with other features that you don't use on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

Accessing point data is a bit cumbersome. Maybe a new window to the side would be helpful. This is where AutoCAD civil 3d is a better product.

This product is being used to create drawing for civil design. The main goal is to have a product that transitions from different department in a company with ease. Carlson has done just that.

Carlson Civil review by Gayle A.
Gayle A.

"Carlson Civil"

What do you like best?

I like using the Surface, Annotate, Profiles and Section menus the most.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to use all the functions that Carlson has to offer, meaning that our company does not work in all areas of Civil engineering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the switch, besides being a great software tool, Carlson has free support, what can you say about free support.

Benefit: Being able to deliver a quality product to our clients with confidence.

Carlson Civil review by Evelyn P.
Evelyn P.

"Carlson Civil Review"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. No project necessary. Alignments, profiles, cross sections and surfaces are created independent from a "project" and can be created on the fly.

What do you dislike?

The surfaces that Carlson Civil creates are not as accurate and smooth as I would like but they work.

Creating surfaces, profiles and grading for small power plant projects. Carlson Civil works great for these tasks.

Carlson Civil review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Carlson Civil plus Mining Modules"

What do you like best?

Carlson Civil and it's accompanying modules (mining, geology, cogo and hydrology) are easy to use. The help topics are detailed, have step by step instructions and provide detailed examples.

What do you dislike?

The software packages are not as powerful as others available, but for the price they get the job done. Does not handle large amounts of data, memory limit and 3D graphics are slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Shop around and understand what your end goal is. If you are looking for an easy to use software package that anyone can pick up and use Carlson is a good choice. There are more powerful software packages available for 3D rendering and modeling.

Surveying, design work for surface and underground mining and mine planning/scheduling.

Carlson Civil review by Dalia V.
Dalia V.

"Great for profile and section building"

What do you like best?

Easy flow from CL design, sectioning, profiling, to even `DTM modeling.

What do you dislike?

I ran an older version that was slightly buggy, sometimes you would need to clear the programs memory which would return any customization to default settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carlson has a large software and hardware database along with lots of support like classes and seminars, all and all a great company.

Some road design, but mostly converting .dwgs to .tin files to be used for layout.

Carlson Civil review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"Great tool for DTM modeling"

What do you like best?

I used Carlson Civil for DTM .tin modeling for GPS/RTK layout as well as machine control. Was able to build off of road sections or 3D poly lines the model I needed.

What do you dislike?

Older version was slighly buggy and could freeze, it was very rare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I used an older version, talk with a sales rep they will know the most about this product. Support is great at Carlson.

Model building gps layout.

Carlson Civil review by Dave T.
Dave T.

"Runs on AutoCAD"

What do you like best?

Runs on AutoCAD, excellent support. simple to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes releases are not tested - features in one release are missing or not working in my current version.

Our company uses Carlson for Site Design, processing field-to-finish of topography, volume computations, produce boundary worksheets and record plats, and export ESRI shapfiles.

Learning about Carlson Civil?

* We monitor all Carlson Civil reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.