CARTO

The CARTO platform empowers everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, to turn location data into business outcomes.

Work for CARTO?
Leader badge esri

Learning about CARTO?

CARTO Reviews

Ask CARTO a Question
Showing 17 CARTO reviews
CARTO review by <span>Manuela B.</span>
Manuela B.

Great for creating eye-catching maps really fast

What do you like best?

I love its aplicability. I have created numerous maps with Carto in the last year. For point features, you can use any icons imaginable and display all kinds of informations in the pop-ups. I also created many heatmaps or progress maps that showed our team's editing work in specific cities or regions.

What do you dislike?

I used to hate the new interface, but once I got used to it - it's ok. I think I would still go back to the previous one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, you will like it!

Carto is great for creating maps for presentations, I presented my internship project using maps created with Carto. I also created interactive maps for overseas partners to see our progress with different spatial data licenses or to send drivers to specific locations in order to collect data for our mapping purposes.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CARTO
CARTO review by <span>Michael G.</span>
Michael G.

Great Cloud Mapping Platform

What do you like best?

The ease of dropping in ESRI Shapefiles, Open Street Map data or all the other supported formats to quickly be able to visualize the information in a variety of ways. Their BI tools are great and constantly getting better and better through their continues integration. I also like that CARTO can be a database to manage projects and not only geospatial data. I also like that there are integration tools to many programming languages as well as QGIS.

What do you dislike?

Faster response when working with 50 million records or more. The ability to not be able to directly connect to the PostGIS database direction via IDE's. There are many wonderful drivers and libraries to help get data in and out but does cause some workarounds when need to deal with many database changes. These issues are not faults of the SaaS but more on us, trying to push the limits of what is possible with their service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really read over the docs and make sure you understand that there is many more things than just the BI dashboard that makes CARTO a great service.

We help customers in many industries. We focus on scientific modeling via dynamic interactive visualizations., using CARTO for near real-time maps for thousands of viewers, interactive touch screen maps in lobbies, site location and many other uses. We have realized that while it is great as a BI/LI tool, the API interface allows clients and developers like us build limitless possibilities.

What GIS solution do you use?

CARTO review by <span>Margaret M.</span>
Margaret M.

Extremely intuitive design for interactive maps

What do you like best?

As someone with relatively little GIS knowledge Carto has been an amazing tool. I've been able to create very interactive maps (with pop up windows, google street view pictures, filtering widgets, and multiple layers users can turn off and on) that have been very popular.

What do you dislike?

I wish Carto had an easy analysis tool to filter one layer by another. It's very possible such a tool exists and I just havent been able to figure out how to do it.

I work at a small research non-profit interested in housing and urbanism in Seattle. We've used Carto to answer several questions about housing in Seattle and the maps have been very popular and easy ways for us to share visually some of our ideas on how to make housing more affordable.

CARTO review by <span>Bobby S.</span>
Bobby S.

CARTO = New Generation of Location Intelligence

What do you like best?

CARTO is hands-down the best geo-visualization tool in the industry. Beyond their stellar product, the executive and senior management team is one of the most thoughtful and engaged teams that I've collaborated work.

What do you dislike?

CARTO is on the cutting edge of technology and their product evolves quickly. Like most young companies, quality issues come up from time to time due to the rapid nature of product evolution. That said, they respond immediately and allow for open-source contribution, so bugs/issues never last long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Collaborate! CARTO is a dynamic team that is growing quickly...they want to work together and/or hear your feedback!

We are using CARTO to bring Location Intelligence to the decision makers of the world. We focus on delivering a simple search-and-visualize application that provides macro insights, data discovery, and workflow for executing research and investment actions.

CARTO review by Administrator in Civic & Social Organization
Administrator in Civic & Social Organization

Best Digital Geospatial Mapping and Cloud Hosting Service

What do you like best?

Ease of access and speed. For a digital mapping platform, Carto is a powerhouse of a client that is both intuitive and efficient (in time and resources). I am able to upload and operate datasets quickly (along with exporting full projects); and, customize the features with relative comfort - including adding and removing without too much complication. It is comparatively the best platform I've used in the years I've been mapping, and they have been among the most helpful hands on assistance when it comes to snafus while working.

What do you dislike?

The most significant critique I have with CARTO is that I wish there could be more than eight layers when designing maps, as there are times when it's critical to juxtapose many different layers in identifying and judging patterns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Others should recognize the scale of their work and discuss how that capacity can be addressed with the support team. It's best that we recognize and adapt in the beginning planning stages of engagement to make our progression with the software more efficient and optimal.

We are utilizing CARTO to develop a digital repository for geospatial information that we are collecting in the field with partners, collaborators, and local residents for our social laboratory platform and programming.

CARTO review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

CARTO has helped us find new ways to visualize spatial data and connect analysis to a broad audience

What do you like best?

-Creates attractive maps with easy-to-use interface

-Back-end development features are user friendly and easy to learn even with limited GIS or programming experience

-The ability to edit in HTML and CSS gives the opportunity to customize the end product design and provides a high level of flexibility and control

-CARTO is always innovating and adding new features and functionality

What do you dislike?

-It would be nice if there were some expanded analytics on map usage

-It would be helpful if there was additional documentation on how to use HTML or CSS in CARTO. Currently, users largely have to figure it out themselves.

Previously when communicating spatial data to stakeholders, we could only use static maps in paper or PDF form. With CARTO, we are able to produce web-based maps which has improved our ability to distribute these maps to a broader audience. Also, these interactive web-based maps also have improve audience engagement.

Learning about CARTO?

* We monitor all CARTO reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.