What do you like best?
There are many great things about Celoxis, but to me the following stand out above all
1) Thorough replication of MS Project functionality.
Most competitors take simplistic approach to project plans, but for us this was not an option as out project plans initiated in MS Project are extremely detailed. The fact that Celoxis handles all the data and does it with ease was the number one reason we chose this tool.
Our largest project Plan to date has 5000 lines - more than enough to make other tools choke. Not so with Celoxis. Performance is fantastic, and they improve it from version to version. In the beginning I was concerned that the project managers will be slowed down when working with Celoxis project plans, comparing to their workflow in MS Project, but all these concerns disappeared very quickly. This is a very fast tool indeed; especially considering all the data it crunches.
No surprise there as anyone who tries Celoxis comments on its Reporting capabilities. These are second to none. Essentially - almost everything in Celoxis is a report, and you can include in these reports any objects that exist in the system - users, clients, projects, tasks, documents, discussions, assignments, and the multiple attributes of those objects. All reports are sortable, filterable, and configurable for the personalized view. Charts are interactive. Object names are clickable, allowing for the quick access of any object listed in the report.
What do you dislike?
Celoxis is a complex system, and it has a huge room for improvement. It would not be fair to call the list below the Dislikes - rather this is a wish list of things I miss
- Ability to color code (rich formatting) the project plan tasks
- Ability to export project plan as pdf
- You can print to pdf, but it does not work all that great, especially with the large projects
- Weak solution for bug and issue tracking
- Do not get me wrong - it is great that Celoxis attempts to present a handy solution for the bug tracking, but it is very weak, comparing to conventional bug trackers. Weak to the point that we are not considering using it
- No drag-n-drop support for the file sharing
- Single layer licensing schema - I wish I could purchase cheaper licenses for the resources that only need the access for time reporting purposes, and nothing else.
Recommendations to others considering the product
Test and evaluate thoroughly.
Celoxis allowed me to take 3(!) evaluation periods before I decided to commit to the software, and I did a lot of planning and configuring before taking it to my team. This effort certainly paid off.
And to Celoxis - thank you for being patient with us!!!
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
We are all about project management. Everything that the company does is a project - whether the Client or Internal. Every project needs a team, a project plan and a budget. Every project generates deliverables and invoices, and so on…. It takes a flexible and robust system to track all this information, and Celoxis gave us exactly that.
In addition, switch to Celoxis from allowed us to centralize all the information and make it searchable and accessible. Finding a project plan, or reporting on a specific data foe a specific project or a client became a breeze.
Lastly, Celoxis is handling time tracking and resource allocations, allowing us for the first time to create an accurate picture of the true capacity of the shop, as well as making plans, forecasts and projections for the future.