Celtx

The all-in-one system for video and movie planning. Work together to write the script, prepare the shoot, and take your cast and crew into production.

Work for Celtx?

Learning about Celtx?

Celtx Reviews

Showing 25 Celtx reviews
Celtx review by Adam W.
Adam W.

"Once the Gold Standard for Screenwriting"

What do you like best?

Celtx was the very first screenwriting software I used. Back in 2014, Celtx was the golden standard for screenwriting. And in some ways, it retains those features. It's free to make an account, free to work on any screenplay of your choice from start to finish, and free to export your screenplay. Celtx makes formatting easy—and because of the daunting formatting behind screenplays, I imagine the ease of which one can format will be welcoming to any and all beginners. Celtx also lets users physically make a group in-application using the name of the studio, which allows other users to work under that same group. There's also a myriad of data to measure one own's productivity in.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the major gripe many have with Celtx is its tendency to limit its users. Again, as I have been a member since 2014, I recall when Celtx had a great many more features available to users. Some of my colleagues have made newer free accounts and have surprisingly found themselves limited to only three projects, whereas its competitors—such as WriterDuet—do not have such a limit. And while Celtx may be free, free users may find its functionality severely lacking, to the point where exported scripts have a watermark, making them essentially worthless and unusable in any truly professional setting.

The edits available to the title page is also severely lacking, in what makes Celtx seem years behind competitors. Personally, I love to bolden the title on my screenplays, as do many other produced screenwriters, but this is simply not an option on Celtx for some reason—at least, not to free users. And while competitors may routinely ask free users to subscribe, Celtx makes it a point to beg for the user's subscription every time you sign in. In fact, the pop up the follows after logging it makes it slightly difficult to find the "no thanks" button, as it is almost identical in color to the background it finds itself laid upon.

As I said before, Celtx was once the gold standard for free screenwriting. Now, however, there is nothing in Cetlx you simply won't find in WriterDuet—which, if I may add, does everything better anyway. Consider this: WriterDuet has many, many more features than Cetlx—for $11.99 a month. And that's if one chooses to subscribe to WriterDuet Pro (the free version has more features than Cetlx by default as well). Celtx's pro subscription is $19.99 a month. Choose wisely.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the ease with which all the writers on your production can be accounted for: not only can you visually see them under your company name, you can measure their productivity with a myriad of tools.

Celtx let me and my collaborators all easily share scripts with each other.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Celtx
Celtx review by Sarit S.
Sarit S.

"Great Screenwriting Software!"

What do you like best?

Celtx makes it incredibly easy to write industry standard scripts with the correct format. Celtx has the unique ability to share scripts with others, which is a wonderful benefit. This software has a simple interface and includes all the tools needed to write a professional looking script.

What do you dislike?

The newest versions of Celtx are only available as Cloud software which is a bit of a disappointment for people have been using Celtx for years. It's become subscription based, but this is the way all these film softwares are moving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is affordable and a great addition to any film production company.

Celtx creates an easy software for all employees to use and share their creative scripts with the team quickly. It solves any delays of updating and sending scripts around quickly.

What Other Video solution do you use?

Celtx review by Adolpho N.
Adolpho N.

"Celtx the best script writing program "

What do you like best?

Celtx is the most user friendly script writing program I've ever seen. With connection to the cloud for access on other devices makes this program great. I was able to write, make notes. story board, schedule, all from my computer or tablet device.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Celtx. Maybe among all the conversions that it proves, there could be a better copy and paste solution because if you want to share parts of a script over an email or typed conversation, Celtx will allow you to share the content over a copy/paste solution but it will paste with capital and format errors.

Some problems involving story telling structure can easily be solved with Celtx based on the level of story but always is a great solution dealing with formatting and program ability. So many benefits have been discovered using Celtx such as easy character development and feedback notes from other contributors involved with the project.

Celtx review by User

"The Best"

What do you like best?

So simple and yet so useful. This program helps you to write scripts easily and quickly, since it puts at your hand a really high amount of interesting tools that make writing more easy. I would say that it even makes ideas come more fluently to your head. You can do several things that makes the script look like if it had been written by a professional. For example, I like how easy it makes to go from one scene to the other as well as inserting new scenes in the middle without any problem. Also, it allows you to save some specifically scenes in order to use them again later, saving time and efforts. There are some different formats of scripts. Actually, I like this software so much that I even have the phone version, so I can write wherever I am and the inspiration comes. I like how it works and specially how it is organized (the final look that the script has at the end).

What do you dislike?

I don't like that in the storyboard format you have only one section for the description of each shot and can only add one image and one sketch. Also, I would like to be able to export the documents into word format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend Celtx, it makes ideas come more fluently to your head, really. Also, it is pretty easy to use and has a lot of possibilities.

Strictly speaking about the business benefits, we use Celtx to prepare YouTube or TV spots, and little projects for the business. But I also use it personally, I like to write and to do some projects that maybe never see the light but I like to do. And it is in this aspect where the full potential of Celtx is used.

Celtx review by Administrator in Writing and Editing
Administrator in Writing and Editing

"A great, free collaborative screenwriting environment that conforms to standard formatting"

What do you like best?

As a screenwriting teacher, I use Celtx to have my students work collaboratively on film scripts. Celtx makes it easy to create and share projects. Using Celtx, students can work in real time as they make adjustments to different parts of the script. Formatting is easy to do and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

As our school has a limited budget, we are only able to use the free tools on the Celtx site. This is not really a fault with Celtx, but I wish there were a complete suite available for free for academic use.

What used to be a paper-laden, messy affair prior to Celtx has now become a fast, easy, digital process for collaboration. Students seem more eager to work on their scripts in this environment than in some of the other collaborative writing environments we tried in previous years.

Celtx review by Tiffany R.
Tiffany R.

"I love this for screenwriting, and collaborative writing!"

What do you like best?

I love that it's easy for me to format my scripts just by using tabs - I did some quick research on what part of a script needs, and later that day I was able to use Celtx to implement what I used and properly format my scripts. I remember years ago seeing a friend's script, that she hand formatted in Office's Word - which ruins the writing flow. I've been able to write and see my script writing skills improve, as I've been able to focus on story and characters instead of complex formatting.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how hard it (was) to find the free option. According to friends (who have tried to get new accounts) - there are only pay options.

I also dislike that I can't write live with my friends, like how one can do in a google document. I think this functionality would make script writing with friends much more fun, much easier, and help with collaboration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get a free account, check it out. I don't know if the accounts are free at all anymore, as I've been a user for many years, and maybe I got grandfathered in when they went only for pay.

The biggest problem I'm solving is having a way to have all of my writers make changes to the script while we're working on it. I also love how I can organize all my scripts underneath different projects.

Celtx review by Santiago Elías R.
Santiago Elías R.

"My favorite script writing software"

What do you like best?

It's a free software that cover all my needs as a scriptwriter for both short and feature films. It makes it extremely easy to go from one scene to another and add new scenes in the middle without messing up the scene numbers. It also saves every scene heading so I can use them again in a new scene, which saves a lot of time. The software offers different formats for film or theatre scripts, storyboards and even the planning of comic books.

What do you dislike?

The storyboard format offered by the software could be a lot more complete. You only have one section for the description of each shot and can only add one image and one sketch. It would also be good if you could export your scripts as .DOC files and not only as .PDF files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Celtx is an extremely easy to use software with a lot of potencial.

I used to write my sripts using a formatted Microsoft Word document. This software has been a huge step forward, the writing is a lot easier and fast since the software takes care perfectly of formatting all the scenes.

Celtx review by User

"Celtx nightmare"

What do you like best?

I'm not a big cloud fan, but its great. It is really useful having a script you're writing on accessed in this way. I 've genuinely loved it. It's easy to use and looks super nice. However...

What do you dislike?

The list is too long - but basically, if you want your script held hostage, for them not to care or take the issues seriously. Use Celtx. There are glitches in the programme too that have not been ironed out - which are super annoying. Not as bad as not being able to download your work - but frustrating all the same. Sadly, their idea of a Helpdesk is a joke. It takes them 24 hours to even get back to you and even then they don't do anything. Customer service is everything -they haven't worked that out yet. Honestly, I've had an absolute nightmare of a week - I missed two really, really important deadlines and had work wiped off. A disaster. Have I had a call? Do they care? No. They work at the pace of a snail and clearly do not think wasting someones entire work week a big deal. I'm going back to final draft - they answered the phone really quickly and called me back. If you rely on your work and don't want to get it lost and need problems to be dealt with quickly and taken seriously use this programme at your peril.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, for that one catastrophic experience, I 've had - It's just not worth it. Steer clear.

None.

Celtx review by Eric G.
Eric G.

"I've written several scripts on Celtx and have shared them with friends and family"

What do you like best?

Automatic formatting for script writing, makes it easy to have a professionally looking script ready. The share and annotation functions are great, too, allowing other collaborators to write little notes on the script or just being able to share it with those collaborators online is a huge boon.

What do you dislike?

The paid subscription offers can be a little intrusive for something that really should be completely free, they don't offer anything of value enough to justify the end-price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like writing scripts and hate the formatting, use Celtx, it has all functions one could possibly want from a program that does what it does. Plus it's online, so your work is safe.

I use Celtx to write scripts for my personal projects, it has helped organize them and having the automatic formatting makes is easier to read the scripts.

Celtx review by Nevie B.
Nevie B.

"The only writing tool I need for my (and my husband's) screenplays."

What do you like best?

When my company and I were looking to expand into screenplays, we decided to go with the software my husband has always used--Celtx. It has been all we have needed thus far. We are beginners in this field, obviously, so we are not advanced users. But the software has been so easy to use, even us beginners have had no trouble.

What do you dislike?

Because we are new to screenplays, we do not have the most advanced opinion. So there are negative aspects we may miss as novices.

This has been crucial in advising clients and editing submissions.

Celtx review by Sam W.
Sam W.

"My first pick script writing tool."

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the interface. It's very simple for those who don't need a lot of tool (it's minimal) but it doesn't lack in power. It can do just about anything I have ever seen in other tools. I'm not a huge screenwriter but I do write scripts for productions and for work. This has been my go to tool for years.

What do you dislike?

They have a paid subscription but also want to charge for the mac app. I have an older free version and do not want to pay to download the mac app especially if I'm paying for the online subscription. I just use the mobile app and the online tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try if your'e thinking about it. You'll find it's a great tool!

I write scripts for productions and for clients. I am able to write a quick script draft and deliver in many forms through celtx. I can write a script and deliver a script, a shot list, a character list and make many other adjustments.

Celtx review by Conor L.
Conor L.

"Best in the Biz"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Celtx is the connectivity it has with itself, and other apps - such as Shotlister. You are able to fully dial in your script, then import it to Shotlister with all the shots and scenes automatically configured.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be cleaner. Also, I would appreciate it if there was a "Celtx" free package with all the tools in one msi or exe - then you could choose what you needed and pay based on that selection.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With Celtx being free for the base tools - there's nothing to lose by giving it a try. I strongly recommend it for not only filmmakers, but media and marketing firms trying to up their game in video production.

For film production from pre to post, this solves everything. By virture of not only its own capabilities - but the collaboration tools of other applications allow you to have a controlled, collective environment that takes the project from concept to distribution very smoothly.

Celtx review by Samuel L.
Samuel L.

"Use Celtx for all cloud-based screenwriting software"

What do you like best?

I used Celtx for years as the downloadable plug-in for my Mac for all of my screenplays. It's easy to use, has an in-depth experience, and is perfect for television, film, and for stageplays. You can also outline, title, and take notes inside of Celtx.

What do you dislike?

I'm not as thrilled now that the newest editions of Celtx are only available as cloud-based software. If no internet connection exists or if something happens to their cloud database, I don't want my work jeopardized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Celtx has become a cloud-based software and is still one of the preeminent screenwriting products that exists, but without the option to download to an external harddrive, it opens up room for competition.

I've used Celtx for years to draft, compose, outline, and publish my screenplay works. This is one the sleekest, most easy-to-use platforms compared to most all other screenwriting apps and software.

Celtx review by Anna K.
Anna K.

"Script for Tat"

What do you like best?

I like the ability you have to write in different types of scripts (theatrical, film, etc.)

What do you dislike?

It is a little hard to get used to at first. I am sure there are a lot of features I am not using simply because it is not as user friendly as I believe it could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I tried several screenwriting programs before using Celtx and this was bar far superior and easier to use. Don't waste your time trying anything else.

I write scripts for multiple segments of entertainment (theater, film, advertisements), and I like that with one program I can write for all the jobs I have.

Celtx review by Josh H.
Josh H.

"User friendly and gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I like how much easier it is to simply write the script than other tools. Instead of trying to learn how to figure out how to use it, it's just dead simple.

What do you dislike?

I dislike their "shot list" interface and options. The options given to describe the shot is very limited. For highly experienced people it might be fine (maybe), but if you don't have every shot and angle memorized, good luck.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a robust shot list creation tool, make sure you check this out before you commit.

Writing a short film script for a presentation movie. It's really quick and simple to use.

Celtx review by Jie F.
Jie F.

"Write Scripts with Minimal cultter"

What do you like best?

I love the Script formatting options that ensure that I complied with established script standards. All of my characters, props, scenes, music, A/V and many other elements of production are organized in one place as I create them.

What do you dislike?

I have a stand alone version. I dont like the subscription model they are on now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know your budget, and remember its not the scripting software that makes great content, its the script itself. Write.

Final Draft was expensive ($1000) and this is an amazing alternative!

Celtx review by G2 Crowd User in Motion Pictures and Film
G2 Crowd User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Great and easy scriptwriting software!"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity and the ease of use, as well as the script sharing abilities. It made it very easy to share drafts with various writers. Making PDFs and printable versions is very easy as well. It's also very easy for someone who has never used scriptwriting software to pick it up and start writing, which is key. The templates are very helpful. Also, the keyboard shortcuts and use of the tab button really streamline the process.

What do you dislike?

I've had problems in the past with the cloud, but that may have been fixed by now. In addition, I've had issues converting documents and trying to export as certain file types that are readable by other programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the best software, not the worst!

We use Celtx for brainstorming and scriptwriting. The main benefits are speed and ease of pdf creation.

Celtx review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Great to start with"

What do you like best?

I LOVED Celtx for starting out. I had it before it switched to Cloud. The feature I really enjoyed was the color-ordinating of notes

What do you dislike?

It would crash on me a lot, and not save my work. It happened so much that I switched over to Final Draft. I did use the Cloud version once and really enjoyed it. If I was able to I'd switch back to Celtx for the Cloud services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would for the Cloud service. They probably fixed the crashing problem by now. Great company. I should give it another shot.

I'm not that familiar with the Cloud Celtx but I have co-workers that use it and they find it really beneficial when sharing their documents with others.

Celtx review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"A Great Resource for Screenwriting"

What do you like best?

Celtx is incredibly straightforward and easy to use. It makes the screenwriting process much simpler when you don't have to manually format the script as opposed to a normal documentation program. I also love how because it is free, it is easily accessible to anyone looking to get into screenwriting, no matter the budget.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a whole lot I dislike about this product.

We use Celtx to write scripts for commercials pertaining to local businesses.

Celtx review by Administrator

"Production assistant"

What do you like best?

All the tools needed for pre-production, as screenplay, budget, story, slugline, etc.

What do you dislike?

They doesn't add the standard fonts from screenplays

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use print mode to see if the formattion is correct and also to see the main title page, that doesn't appear on the editor.

Celtx review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"The alternative software to writing your script "

What do you like best?

What I like best about this software is it’s new and updated version to write up comedy shorts and sketch writing in. Quick but precise manner

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that it lacks the advanced user interface of its competitors final draft and movie magic

The business problems I am solving with Celtx is that I’m able to send quick write ups to my manger without having to go through the process of the final draft and movie magic Softwares

Celtx review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"Great free screenwriting service"

What do you like best?

I love that I can use celtx anywhere for free! The online-based software is great, as a writer who uses multiple computers.

What do you dislike?

Every once in a while the formatting doesn't work quite right, and I'll have to delete my work and start over.

We don't write enough screenplays for paying for finaldraft to be worth it. Celtx is perfect for our limited needs.

Celtx review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Great for new and experienced writers on a budget"

What do you like best?

It's simple, clean, and effective software.

What do you dislike?

The free version is useful, but limited.

My output as a writer has been helped by this software, because instead of having to focus so much on formatting, I can spend most of my time on content while Celtx does the formatting work for me. I know that sounds like a bit of a lazy perspective, but for someone who doesn't have professional polish, I see immense appeal in that. I think as entry-way software, it's also very useful in educating writers on how to format creative work before graduating on to the more expensive stuff like Final Draft.

Celtx review by Jason R.
Jason R.

"Friendly and full of features!"

What do you like best?

What I like most about celtx is that it takes the function of what you might find in final draft and makes it accessible for the new writer.

What do you dislike?

I don't find much to dislike about the program. It does all I need it to for me and my students.

This allows for me and my students to write scripts clearly and cleanly, with an obvious standard of quality that we can all surcharge consistently.

Celtx review by G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising
G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising

"Final Draft for Cheapskates"

What do you like best?

If you write scripts from time to time, but not every day, Celtx is for you. The free version gives you lots of options, and you end up with a well-formatted script.

What do you dislike?

Wish you could change fonts, sometimes the pages with the selected font look very stark. Final Draft has so many more options, but you get what you pay for and you appreciate what you get for free.

Don't have access to Final Draft on my work computer, like that celtx is an online solution that saves drafts and is easily accessible. Great savings compared to purchasing Final Draft.

Learning about Celtx?

* We monitor all Celtx reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.