Celtx

The all-in-one system for video and movie planning. Work together to write the script, prepare the shoot, and take your cast and crew into production.

Work for Celtx?

Learning about Celtx?

Celtx Reviews

Showing 18 Celtx reviews
Celtx review by User

"The Best"

What do you like best?

So simple and yet so useful. This program helps you to write scripts easily and quickly, since it puts at your hand a really high amount of interesting tools that make writing more easy. I would say that it even makes ideas come more fluently to your head. You can do several things that makes the script look like if it had been written by a professional. For example, I like how easy it makes to go from one scene to the other as well as inserting new scenes in the middle without any problem. Also, it allows you to save some specifically scenes in order to use them again later, saving time and efforts. There are some different formats of scripts. Actually, I like this software so much that I even have the phone version, so I can write wherever I am and the inspiration comes. I like how it works and specially how it is organized (the final look that the script has at the end).

What do you dislike?

I don't like that in the storyboard format you have only one section for the description of each shot and can only add one image and one sketch. Also, I would like to be able to export the documents into word format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend Celtx, it makes ideas come more fluently to your head, really. Also, it is pretty easy to use and has a lot of possibilities.

Strictly speaking about the business benefits, we use Celtx to prepare YouTube or TV spots, and little projects for the business. But I also use it personally, I like to write and to do some projects that maybe never see the light but I like to do. And it is in this aspect where the full potential of Celtx is used.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Celtx
Celtx review by <span>Tiffany R.</span>
Tiffany R.

"I love this for screenwriting, and collaborative writing!"

What do you like best?

I love that it's easy for me to format my scripts just by using tabs - I did some quick research on what part of a script needs, and later that day I was able to use Celtx to implement what I used and properly format my scripts. I remember years ago seeing a friend's script, that she hand formatted in Office's Word - which ruins the writing flow. I've been able to write and see my script writing skills improve, as I've been able to focus on story and characters instead of complex formatting.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how hard it (was) to find the free option. According to friends (who have tried to get new accounts) - there are only pay options.

I also dislike that I can't write live with my friends, like how one can do in a google document. I think this functionality would make script writing with friends much more fun, much easier, and help with collaboration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get a free account, check it out. I don't know if the accounts are free at all anymore, as I've been a user for many years, and maybe I got grandfathered in when they went only for pay.

The biggest problem I'm solving is having a way to have all of my writers make changes to the script while we're working on it. I also love how I can organize all my scripts underneath different projects.

What Other Video solution do you use?

Celtx review by <span>Santiago Elías R.</span>
Santiago Elías R.

"My favorite script writing software"

What do you like best?

It's a free software that cover all my needs as a scriptwriter for both short and feature films. It makes it extremely easy to go from one scene to another and add new scenes in the middle without messing up the scene numbers. It also saves every scene heading so I can use them again in a new scene, which saves a lot of time. The software offers different formats for film or theatre scripts, storyboards and even the planning of comic books.

What do you dislike?

The storyboard format offered by the software could be a lot more complete. You only have one section for the description of each shot and can only add one image and one sketch. It would also be good if you could export your scripts as .DOC files and not only as .PDF files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Celtx is an extremely easy to use software with a lot of potencial.

I used to write my sripts using a formatted Microsoft Word document. This software has been a huge step forward, the writing is a lot easier and fast since the software takes care perfectly of formatting all the scenes.

Celtx review by User

"Celtx nightmare"

What do you like best?

I'm not a big cloud fan, but its great. It is really useful having a script you're writing on accessed in this way. I 've genuinely loved it. It's easy to use and looks super nice. However...

What do you dislike?

The list is too long - but basically, if you want your script held hostage, for them not to care or take the issues seriously. Use Celtx. There are glitches in the programme too that have not been ironed out - which are super annoying. Not as bad as not being able to download your work - but frustrating all the same. Sadly, their idea of a Helpdesk is a joke. It takes them 24 hours to even get back to you and even then they don't do anything. Customer service is everything -they haven't worked that out yet. Honestly, I've had an absolute nightmare of a week - I missed two really, really important deadlines and had work wiped off. A disaster. Have I had a call? Do they care? No. They work at the pace of a snail and clearly do not think wasting someones entire work week a big deal. I'm going back to final draft - they answered the phone really quickly and called me back. If you rely on your work and don't want to get it lost and need problems to be dealt with quickly and taken seriously use this programme at your peril.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, for that one catastrophic experience, I 've had - It's just not worth it. Steer clear.

None.

Celtx review by <span>Eric G.</span>
Eric G.

"I've written several scripts on Celtx and have shared them with friends and family"

What do you like best?

Automatic formatting for script writing, makes it easy to have a professionally looking script ready. The share and annotation functions are great, too, allowing other collaborators to write little notes on the script or just being able to share it with those collaborators online is a huge boon.

What do you dislike?

The paid subscription offers can be a little intrusive for something that really should be completely free, they don't offer anything of value enough to justify the end-price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like writing scripts and hate the formatting, use Celtx, it has all functions one could possibly want from a program that does what it does. Plus it's online, so your work is safe.

I use Celtx to write scripts for my personal projects, it has helped organize them and having the automatic formatting makes is easier to read the scripts.

Celtx review by <span>Sam W.</span>
Sam W.

"My first pick script writing tool."

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the interface. It's very simple for those who don't need a lot of tool (it's minimal) but it doesn't lack in power. It can do just about anything I have ever seen in other tools. I'm not a huge screenwriter but I do write scripts for productions and for work. This has been my go to tool for years.

What do you dislike?

They have a paid subscription but also want to charge for the mac app. I have an older free version and do not want to pay to download the mac app especially if I'm paying for the online subscription. I just use the mobile app and the online tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try if your'e thinking about it. You'll find it's a great tool!

I write scripts for productions and for clients. I am able to write a quick script draft and deliver in many forms through celtx. I can write a script and deliver a script, a shot list, a character list and make many other adjustments.

Learning about Celtx?

* We monitor all Celtx reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.