CentOS

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.

Work for CentOS?

Learning about CentOS?

CentOS Reviews

Showing 101 CentOS reviews
CentOS review by George S.
George S.

"Reliable Server OS"

What do you like best?

Most important to us is that the OS is reliable (compiled from RedHat Enterprise Linux), is free, and yum is there for updating or adding new software.

What do you dislike?

On rare occasion there is software we want that is not available through a yum repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need technical support then RedHat Enterprise Linux may be your best choice. Otherwise, I highly recommend CentOS. You can always try it and then switch to RHEL if you need the support.

We use a particular database manager that is restricted to a few version of the underling OS. Our clients run a separate server with our ERP software which we remotely manage for them. Initially, we ran Windows server, but found that Linux was more reliable and required less hardware to do the job. In 2001 we began switching server over to RedHat Enterprise Linux. We had a support agreement with RedHat for 3 years and used it one time. We ran without a support agreement a couple of years and then adopted CentOS and never had any regrets.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CentOS
CentOS review by Enrique Y.
Enrique Y.

"Operating system for servers"

What do you like best?

What I like about centos is its performance as an operating system for servers, in addition to the stability and features of this robust Linux distribution of easy configuration for web servers, it has a library repertoire and it has the security of the source packages released from red hat.

What do you dislike?

What I do not like about centos is that in some installations it has caused problems with the network interfaces which I have to do cumbersome procedures for their configuration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

my recommendation for other users is if they are going to install versions of mysql see which are compatible with the different versions of centos, so they do not have problems when importing a database.

I have used it as an operating system in vmware, when I am asked for requirements for the creation of web servers, proxies and mail server, due to its resemblance to red hat is an operating system very requested by web programmers.

What Operating System solution do you use?

CentOS review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Excelente Sistema Operativo para web"

What do you like best?

Me gusta mucho la estabilidad del sistema y es muy robusta para el desligue de aplicaciones web ya que se integra con aplicaciones para despliegue como Apache web server, mysql, nginx, mariaDB, lampp, entre otras, en cuanto seguridad de redes cuenta con un firewall integrado muy completo y configurable,

En mi experiencia comparando CentOS con otras OS basados en Kernel de Linux y orientados al despliegue de aplicaciones web puedo afirmar que es uno de los mejores en su categoría por la fiabilidad y disponibilidad en ambientes online 24/7.

What do you dislike?

A pasar de poderse instalar con entorno gráfico para los usuarios que no son avanzados se les dificulta mucho gestionar la plataforma.

Hemos podido desplegar diferentes soluciones web utilizado como base este OS, tenemos tiendas online desarrolladas sobre PHP y Magento.

Dentro de los beneficios hemos podido reducir costos ya que para poner en marcha este OS los requerimientos de hardware son muy inferiores a los de otro OS.

CentOS review by Silvia M.
Silvia M.

"A stable, performant and always updated platform"

What do you like best?

Centos is an Linux Operating System derived from the sources of Red Hat Linux, it is a community version of Red Hat without the branding and so it's completely free and open source.

It came in 3 main version: DVD ISO, Everything ISO and Minimal ISO., and you can choose between GNOME or KDE Desktop version. So you have the embarrassment of choice. It's easy to install, come with a nice set of preinstalled application.

What do you dislike?

The performance can be much better, the audio and video codec often have some problems and for those who are neophyte it could be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With CentOS you have everything you need to work peacefully, including regular updates, great community, and numerous online help and guides that can help you in which case you have a problem. It's also free and very easy to install as well as easy to use.

With CentOS we can use most feature of RedHat Linux but without spending anything, it have all the tool we need and the update are fast and regular. The Operating System is also very Stable.

CentOS review by Alvaro R.
Alvaro R.

"The best Linux operating system"

What do you like best?

I like this Linux operating system in my personal opinion is the best OS that exists in the distribution. Centos is super phenomenal and compatible with most systems to implement. It allows the installation of your own CWP panel for free and that makes it fastastico as well as its easy-to-understand package of files.

What do you dislike?

This operating system has no news to disgust me, I have many years using this operating system and I really never had problems with that, whenever I have any doubts, have enough material on their website and support Group to manage to solve Fast and effective way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend CentOS for its easy installation and implementation, for me is the leader of Linux operating systems, many brands or panels can certify as it is compatible with most free software that exist.

With CentOS I have solved many problems of sales and I have always installed on my servers this operating system and from there part my company where I have installed CentOS Web panel is one of its wonderful programs of installation free.

CentOS review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"CentOS meets the needs for basic Enterprise Linux"

What do you like best?

CentOS is my OS of choice when working with traditional enterprise, web, and other application development. It is simple to build a pipeline of tools that are easily replicated to many systems in a medium sized enterprise technology department. I use it for my sandboxes and development efforts and even production instances unless some sort of indemnification is required. Working in the PHP, web, and Java space, CentOS handles all of my needs.

What do you dislike?

Dealing with the onslaught of containerization technologies, we have found CentOS lacking in straightforward support of Docker, Kubernetes, and other container solutions. The networking stack is difficult to deal with in containers and the support for CentOS variants usually requires a bit of fiddling with 3rd party yum repos that leave administrators wondering if there are any security risks associated with doing so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using CentOS to host traditional enterprise applications, Java applications, Web applications, or web sites, this is the correct tool. Do not use for building out an infrastructure for containers.

We use CentOS to handle a variety of things such as: directory management, web servers, backend application servers, Java applications, PHP applications, content management systems, digital asset managers, proxy servers, infrastructure as code systems, source control servers, and countless other applications.

CentOS review by Phill H.
Phill H.

"Reliable linux distro for hosting"

What do you like best?

The consistency and compatibility of CentOS in the decade I have been using it for hosting cPanel servers is excellent and makes CentOS my first choice for LAMP stack setups.

What do you dislike?

I am bothered the amount of packages that are made with simple installation scripts for Ubuntu but require more configuration on CentOS setups, although this is a problem with the linux community and not CentOS itself, I think there could be more additions to the CentOS repositories to have these easy setup options available for some packages.

Maintaining a high uptime for hosting service customers on shared VPS setups. CentOS has excellent stability which lets me keep my %99.9 uptime promise to customers

CentOS review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"Addictively easy to use"

What do you like best?

Installing and updating apps is super easy

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan of some of the new things in CentOS 7, but I'm getting used to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion, Linux is about 60% what you as an admin prefer and 40% about the flavor of Linux. In a broad sense, I haven't yet found one thing that one flavor of Linux will do, that another one can't. I've used Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, RedHat, AIX, HP-UX, and a few other *nix O/Ses, and I prefer CentOS over all of the rest. Yes, RedHat and CentOS are basically the same OS, I just have a need that requires me to pay for RedHat support/updates.

CentOS provides a predictable Linux platform that is easy to deploy. The documentation available on the internet for CentOS makes it easy to hand off to other people in my organization.

CentOS review by Gautham Rajkumar M.
Gautham Rajkumar M.

"Best to use when you can't buy RHEL and a temporary alternative"

What do you like best?

* Easy to install and use, but still get the benefit of RHEL.

* Lightweight and fast, you can see it when you use it

* Use the HW recommended and you can keep it running for long.

* More apps are now using TLS which is helpful when you need security

What do you dislike?

* If there are issue, the fix takes time , due to their release cycle. Otherwise i dont see a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you dont have a way to buy RHEL, the centos is the best one to use. You have security like TLS now. Also you can use for virtualization and hyper visor as well. Just have enough memory and disk space that is required for your virtualization. Simple to install and easy to use. Very fast and you can feel it when you use it.

Also there are multiple open source software that you can use like Apache Web server, FTTD, SQL etc. You can just use yum install and install whatever is necessary. The software update, security update will not have any problem and the user should be able to get it.

In general, CentOs has very less bugs and stable. These days you can report the bug to mail id ( dont remember now). Only disadvantage is the bug fix may take time to get as the release patter is once in 10 to 18 months.

Well, not necessarily me but when budget is a problem, organizations use this in test/production environment. So for small/startups this would help.

CentOS review by Charles J.
Charles J.

"A top notch operating system at a low price"

What do you like best?

It is almost an exact clone of Red Hat Linux. So you get everything you would if you paid the price for a Red Hat License. However, it is free.

What do you dislike?

They don't have x86 versions of the distribution another. Which is a trend will all operating systems, but still I have a few cases where the x64 version will not install on the hardware I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is too easy to try this product out. It is free. It is easy to download from the web. And it will install on almost anything. If you are thinking of switching to Linux this the platform to try out first.

In my particular case I use CentOS as my testing platform for ideas that we might end up using in Production at work. At home, I use it to keep my Linux skills fresh and to practice for certification tests.

CentOS review by Amol B.
Amol B.

"CentOS + Genomics' Research = Not So Fun"

What do you like best?

This Linux OS is basically a rock solid system for business enterprise type of capability. It is scalable, provides a robust set of features and after the environment is setup, there is not a tremendous amount of maintenance necessary.

What do you dislike?

The configuration of this OS is quite painful. Documentation is pretty sparse and you have to rely predominantly on what can be searched via forums. What normally would take me a afternoon to setup with a competitor's OS, would normally take me 2 days. Repo's are hard to work with too and it is a general chore to setup.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really depends on what is trying to be achieved. They are plenty of platforms to consider. Ours was trying to develop a in house cloud based computing and liked Cent's expandability. We explored other options too like OpenStack and even Red Hat.

We utilized this OS to store large sources of genomics data and then use that information with machine learning. Maybe that is why it took some time to setup and work with because my lab was use to a different OS and our lab director decided for better stability and version control to work with Cent.

CentOS review by Britton D.
Britton D.

"CentOS is a great pick for a stable server for small-medium business"

What do you like best?

CentOS combines the best parts of an Enterprise-level Linux-based operating system (repackaging the Redhat Enterprise Linux Open-sourced pieces) and providing it free of charge without a subscription.

I've used CentOS since CentOS 5, and have been using it daily for servers running Samba and the like since 2012. I've since migrated those servers to CentOS 7, but the stability really can't be beat for the ease-of-use.

Support for products are also very solid for CentOS, due to the alignment and source-compatibility with RHEL. The same can be said for Debian, however I'm also a very big fan of the YUM package manager, which seems to help with dependency-resolution a fair bit better than apt.

EPEL is also a huge benefit to CentOS and RHEL. EPEL is software packages and extensions that provide updated/extended functionality over what is provided by default in CentOS. This allows being able to have newer versions of software installed without having to compile or download untrusted software from the Internet. EPEL forgoes some of the ultra-stable packaging CentOS is known for (sticking to older releases of software in order to not break compatibility), while gaining a very wide assortment of software that wouldn't otherwise be available.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes driver support is lacking, since the kernel versions being used tend to err to the 'oldstable' spectrum. Also, i'm not totally convinced that XFS/BTRFS is ready for the enterprise, as I've experienced issues with BTRFS snapshots in other Linux distributions (such as SLED). Sometimes as previously mentioned, packages are sometimes not updated as frequently as I'd like (this is done to preserve a cohesive environment and inter-operatibility between systems per release), but this is somewhat mitigated with EPEL packages.

I needed a stable system to provide Samba4 AD controllers for small business. I was using Fedora 14, when I realized support for various required systems weren't going to work (such as Quickbooks Enterprise), so I switched to CentOS, which has proven to be a very-wise choice. I virtualize several servers with XenServer, and have been very pleased at the ease-of-deployment and setup that is required with CentOS.

CentOS review by Bill S.
Bill S.

"CentOS - great old standby"

What do you like best?

CentOS works with RPM and YUM and a lot of legacy software. For command line use it is fast and easy. For graphical use (X-Windows, etc) there are better solutions on the market.

What do you dislike?

Updates can be slow in coming out. There was once a gap of over a year. It is much more regular now and seems to be likely to continue in foreseeable future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is best to consider your requirements when choosing a Linux flavor. CentOS meets my needs for LAMP stack configurations but not so much for other needs.

Mainly hosting requirements. CentOS works well with a LAMP stack configuration but can be somewhat difficult to reconfigure to other needs. One thing though is it has always been possible to do, just not easy. Other solutions that CentOS has provided include SAMBA services and other terminal type applications.

CentOS review by Matt R.
Matt R.

"CentOS is an extremely solid OS that is easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it's solid, as most linux variations are. I run a hosting company on the side and I have uptime of over 900 days.

What do you dislike?

It's rare, but sometimes you can't find something you need in an official repository and therefore need to add an extra repository, which I really don't like to do because third party repositories aren't maintained as well as the official ones.

I'm able to offer a bunch of different services on this free platform. It's easy to install things from repositories, and it's very solid.

CentOS review by Julian A.
Julian A.

"Excellent Linux Distribution for Servers"

What do you like best?

- It's based in Redhat Linux.

- There is a huge community behind this distribution.

- It's very stable

- A lot of repos and packages for any software.

What do you dislike?

- Redhat does not support it.

- It could be more faster and lighter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a Linux distribution easy to use, install and configure, go for CentOS. It's very stable and secure.

We migrated all the windows services to CentOS. Now, we're more stable and more secure. Our uptime has increased a lot.

CentOS review by Brian T.
Brian T.

"Free Alternative to RHEL"

What do you like best?

Because CentOS is a fork of RHEL and uses many of the same repositories, setting up and configuring applications on CentOS is a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Changes from version 6 to 7 broke a number of my scripts. Petty and easy to workaround, I know, but still annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless there is a specific feature you need from RHEL, CentOS is your go-to OS.

We needed a reliable open source alternative to RHEL that we could deploy quickly and use many of the same repos, scripts, and applications that we had built for RHEL. Because CentOS is free and open source, we can quickly and easily spin up new instances and tear down old servers without worrying about licensing allocation or licensing costs.

CentOS review by Sam R.
Sam R.

"Rock-solid reliability at a reasonable price (free!)"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that CentOS has the security and reliability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, without the cost overhead. During my years of using CentOS, I have found it to be an excellent product for web hosting; most web servers online use a Linux distribution, and out of these, CentOS is the third most popular distribution (behind Ubuntu and Debian).

What do you dislike?

Some of the software package that are distributed with CentOS can be of a slightly older version than some other Linux distributions, which can sometimes cause compatibility problems. This is due to their focus on reliability, as the versions included have been tried-and-tested and confirmed working. However, if you so wish, you can add additional repositories to CentOS which you can use to upgrade these packages to the latest versions, so this issue isn't too much of a problem and is easily remedied if necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a reliable solution for hosting your website, or a general-use Linux distribution, CentOS is a very strong candidate.

By using CentOS, we have replaced our entire Windows hosting infrastructure, and as such saved a significant amount in licensing costs.

CentOS review by Peter R. G.
Peter R. G.

"I have used CentOS since 2009 and can highly recommend it."

What do you like best?

It has all the benefits and conveniences of a RedHat, minus the licensing limitations, even on purposefully unsupported Enterprise installations. RPM is a decent standard on Linux, and is well supported by the CentOS platform, down to RedHat-specific packages.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything I specifically dislike about CentOS, though I would prefer it be distributed as a server system, and remove the overhead of any UI/X.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CentOS7 switched to SystemD from CentOS6's init/upstart; this is a bit of a learning curve.

CentOS is our central and most preferred distribution; with it we host all of our Linux platform. It is flexible, easily packaged as an image, and deployed full-featured and useable out of the box in most production environments.

CentOS review by Jason G.
Jason G.

"the best linux distro for my web server"

What do you like best?

CentOS is the first linux flavor/distro I have used and what I've liked the best is the installation part. Its easy and fast to install. CentOS also is more focused on enterprise level unlike Ubuntu, that's why I prefer to use this compared to Ubuntu

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I have not encountered any major issues with CentOS so far. My webserver is running smooth and stable because of CentOS

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing

I am using CentOS for our webserver.

CentOS review by Wei M.
Wei M.

"Perfect for enterprise"

What do you like best?

Most of our servers (which serves billions of requests per day) use CentOS, and it works quite stable. After a major release software packages are not usually being upgraded to latest upstream version (which might break something), but only focus on bug fixes and security fixes.

Fits very well in enterprises which has high demand of stability and security.

What do you dislike?

While focus on stability, new features of upstream packages are usually not being introduced after a major release. Also, some software such as ROS (http://ros.org/) only supports Ubuntu natively, on CentOS it requires some work to build from source. CentOS is also not suitable for personal desktop computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CentOS is THE choice for Enterprise environment with focus on security and stability.

Basic Operating System for online services which has billion requests per day.

Benefits: most of our services runs quite stable.

CentOS review by Ian S.
Ian S.

"The best enterprise-oriented Linux OS"

What do you like best?

CentOS provides all the foundations for validating software in an enterprise oriented manner, ensuring that whatever you develop will also run on RHEL. This comes with the benefits of simplicity, stability, history, and a large base of experienced administrators.

What do you dislike?

CentOS 7 (and RHEL7) introduced a new service management layer that takes some adjusting to. CentOS is not designed for the single user or desktop market, so for those audiences (who still want Linux) CentOS may not be the best choice.

I am part of developing products for the enterprise server market. Our customers typically use RHEL, so leveraging CentOS allows us to develop software that will run on our customer's systems.

CentOS review by User in Information Technology and Services

"CentOS , A complete open source all round server distribution"

What do you like best?

The best thing which i like most centos is for stability. when you are looking for an os which is best suitable for production , the first thing which comes to mind is stability. and the centos is all about that. It comes with a great stability. Its very problematic to adapt regular updates on the production environment and here comes the cent os which gets security updates in good time.

What do you dislike?

some times it is very problematic whiling booting at run level 3 or 5.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really want to recommend this to all for all who are looking for a best all round server distribution.

It is really amazing . and it uses your system very effectively, gives you maximum throughput.

we have used it for several purposes like for databases especially for oracle sql, for web socket. we have used it for both.

it comes with minimal installation packages for production environment which helps in gaining system efficiency by removing background non usable packages.

CentOS review by John R.
John R.

"The best open source Linux distribution for servers"

What do you like best?

The reputation, stability, and community of this OS makes it our number one choice for servers. We use it for web servers, database servers, and load balancers. It's great for running our SaaS company.

What do you dislike?

Some of the software available in the repos is old, because CentOS takes a conservative approach. It requires adding repos for specialty software such as PHP.

No licensing saves us money. Reliability saves us time.

CentOS review by Juan Fernando V.
Juan Fernando V.

"A solid Linux"

What do you like best?

CentOS is like that girl at school who was not pretty, it was quiet but did well academically without being a nerd. In the niche of those installer YUM as we have: Fedora, Oracle Linux and clear to Red Hat Enterprise Linux or RHEL. All are good choices but Centos is characterized by being used for turnkey solutions, have a good control on the packets, Use stable versions and have a huge community with forums full of solutions. Sometimes we doubt and fear we use RHEL spending a lot of money in our projects. I assure you that you can start with CentOS complete the learning curve and only if necessary delegate responsibility for your applications to a third party or finally look to Linux Support. Remember that while these on your own can find libraries, tools, repositories and good tutorials to complete your projects and get away with it. Of course you will need to have solid knowledge of linux and yum package manager for your CentOS run smoothly.

What do you dislike?

You may not know it, but if you can not handle your problems in CentOS you must be call to the dark side of RPM and request support (Not cheap by the way). Do not lie. You will need to know Linux. If you're just going to have to install a LAMP you will get the necessary. But if your project is aimed at installing and configuring a cloud, or virtualize, or put it as server or storage server or VoIP As you will notice you will not find all the solutions on the net or tutorials or magical manuals there. Compatibility with other libraries is not what is expected and if you've installed something manually starts to pray ... avoid break packages or libraries and their dependencies or need to make sure satisfy as other applications related to this., otherwise you will have a real headache. we know we need OPEL for some things but it does not come as default .... we also know that we like stable but not old in the repos. And remember the most importantly ... you're on your own, so be recursive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You want to Save? Geeks are some home? Well CentOS is for you! It is easy, stable and flexible. For those who use Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora Linux or Oracle they will feel comfortable because they use the same package manager, the installer and others. However libraries CentOS change and this makes the difference is devoid of some interesting libraries. This can be fixed by installing the OPEL sources, but you must be careful when installing as some packages may cause conflicts even reach a point where trying to meet the libraries end up breaking the entire system. Before putting your application into production or service or software solution updates all packages and check that there are no conflicts. remember to put your patches and drivers before upgrading the system. Notes when you go to make a clone of a virtual machine on vSphere and Hyper-V hardware changes and reconfigure especially network cards sometimes it gets annoying.

If you think you need some support can avail yourself of Fedora packages or Oracle Linux (RHEL Total Clone) if you need support touch you pargar in Red Hat or search Countless Internet forums where usually the answer or solution is already (almost) ready .

CentOS has a much longer support cycle than other distros

It's good to start projects

It's good to test and see if you need to make other arrangements or stay with the

It is good for as Hosting Solutions, Web services, VoIP, File Management and Data Networks

It is good and solid and fast for your web application projects

It is good for applications that require some extra tools in the field of network

It's good for Mail servers, DNS or even firewalls (Fail2ban we love you)

CentOS review by Davide V.
Davide V.

"My favourite OS for web servers!"

What do you like best?

This is my first choice for web servers. I love the speed it provides along with yum, which is a great package manager.

Security is a focus in CentOS and this makes it perfect for this role.

What do you dislike?

I can hardly say I dislike something about it, Maybe they should try to make it as popular as Ubuntu is, so that even "normal users" can understand that Ubuntu is not Linux and make their choice if they need to run a server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get accustomed to the differences if compared to Debian derived distributions.

I am running CentOS on a VPS which hosts a website. I also have used it in the past to host the backend for a web application with great results.

CentOS review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"A Great Linux Distro"

What do you like best?

Centos is a fantastic Linux Distro. The UI is cleanly designed and the features within are powerful and highly customizable to your environment. You can scale up as needed and ensure the needs are met for your environments work flow. It also comes with plenty of free software already if desired. If you are unsure how to something, there is an excellent amount of documentation and a great user community to help you out. Definitely one of the top 5 Linux Distros of all time.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. If you need a great Linux Distro comparable to RedHat this is it. The only thing to consider and this is not necessarily a bad thing; you won't receive the enterprise level support that you get with RHEL. Remember, RHEL is fully enterprise level linux with all the support you need. CentOS has a great community but ultimately relies on the knowledge and capabilities of your own staff to maintain it. Not a deal breaker, but just something to consider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommended to anyone who wants to use Linux. If you are new to Linux, this is also a great Distro to learn on. You really can't go wrong.

Databases, web servers, productivity, software devopment.

Everything with CentOS is easy to do and works flawlessly. Users enjoy using this distribution and administrators enjoy maintaining it. A win-win for everyone.

CentOS review by Nick H.
Nick H.

"Best Server Operating System"

What do you like best?

CentOS is easy to configure and is my go to operating system for running server software. Once you figure how to use it, it's really easy. The packages are updated but not often to ensure better security. You can get the minimal version which is the stripped down version so you don't have to all these packages installed that you don't use.

What do you dislike?

The GUI isn't the best but I don't really care cause all I use is the command line. CentOS 5 would run on only 256MB RAM but now CentOS 7 requires 1GB RAM and is only x64.

Provides the best stability for running servers. It's free so it's very cost effective.

CentOS review by Md Safiyat R.
Md Safiyat R.

"Amazing distro for production environments."

What do you like best?

The stability and support from the CentOS community. Also, the plethora and quality of tools available in the original release. nmcli truly saved my day.

What do you dislike?

Takes some time to get used to the new operating system. A lot of common tools have different output formats which makes it a little uncomfortable to use. Also, takes time to get used to the alternate tools as compared to Ubuntu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great operating system. A little difficult at first to adapt to, coming from Ubuntu, but is way streamlined as compared to Ubuntu. Worth a try at the very least.

We host our company's repository and web server on CentOS servers. They are more secure than Ubuntu servers. We also used CentOS for network testing with specialized hardware.

CentOS review by Timothy S.
Timothy S.

"Centos for servers"

What do you like best?

Centos has all the Linux features I need and all the enterprise features I needed from RHEL without the price. it runs Java, cloudfoundry, gemfire, spring, spring xd, open stack and all the tools and development tools as well as servers you need. Centos is fast, lean and a great general OS.

What do you dislike?

You either like RPMS and yum. It works if there's an RPM or it's in a YUM repo. If it isn't compiling stuff from scratch is often a pain and getting all the correct versions of build tools and libraries can be difficult. Sometimes I think Ubuntu is a little easier to work with and has some upgrades for containers not yet in centos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it and try it.

Running virtual machines at a cheaper way. This worked and worked well. It's not the newest version of linux, but it is really solid and you'll never see it crash.

CentOS review by Andrew P.
Andrew P.

"Great FREE enterprise Linux distribution for long term stability"

What do you like best?

CentOS is one of the top enterprise Linux distributions for good reason. It's derived from RHEL, has an amazing long and support lifespan, and great compatibility and support from both hardware and software providers, but also an amazing user community.

What do you dislike?

The development tool chain often lags behind, although this has been better in the most recent releases. The Kernel version is also not cutting edge, but this is a distro which favors stability above all. Finally many packages will needed to be sourced from third party repositories, but the good news is these are plentiful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With CentOS's new integration/partnership with RedHat, it would appear that's it's long term viability is on a good foundation.

CentOS is a great option for almost all Linux based projects. In particular it is an ideal base for anything system with an expected deployment time of more than a few months given it's extremely long maintenance and support time frames. This makes it particularly ideal for bare metal installations where OS upgrades are undesirable.

CentOS review by D. Marshall L.
D. Marshall L.

"CentOS: The Rock-Solid Choice For Any Server Role In Any Enviornment"

What do you like best?

CentOS is incredibly mature, thanks to its affiliation with Red Hat, and as such, I believe it is the most stable operating system for workloads that do not require "bleeding edge" software and packages. CentOS has a very long development cycle with new major versions coming less than twice a decade, and this leads to very well-tested and proven code that ensures your workload will have minimal downtime and maximum compatibility.

What do you dislike?

As mentioned above, slow development cycles can sometimes mean missing out on brand-new features in the Linux kernel or in new releases of new software, but this is both a benefit as it is a determinant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering CentOS, you are probably also considering Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc. CentOS is the open source version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and this corporate presence in the development cycles should show you the level of security and stability that CentOS brings to the table. It's a Linux distribution that can handle any workload in any environment with maximum uptime and minimum surprises down the road.

CentOS (and indirectly through the Amazon Web Services Linux AMI, which is based on RHEL, which is based on CentOS) is the only operating system my company employs for both internal and customer projects. The level of maturity and the stability of CentOS are primary reasons we use this operating system over the other major players (Ubuntu and Debian).

CentOS review by Dan O.
Dan O.

"The Gold Standard in Red Hat compatible Linux distributions"

What do you like best?

It's basically Red Hat Enterprise Edition, but without the support contract or the big license fees.

What do you dislike?

The lack of official help desk support from Red Hat. But when it comes to CentOS troubleshooting, Google is your friend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at the LTS versions of Ubuntu as well.

This product allows me to deploy a large number of Linux systems globally without incurring a huge license fees. Unlike some Linux distributions, CentOS has a long support lifecycle. If you need security patches or new functionality in the future, you'll be able to easily install them.

CentOS review by Cosmin-Aurel A.
Cosmin-Aurel A.

"A great operating system to support the backend of your job. "

What do you like best?

It is versatile, easy to install, easy to update and very easy to develop applications under this operating system.

It is widely used as server , so it is appropriate for the backend of your company.

What do you dislike?

It becomes more and more filled with garbage in the compact install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always prefer CentOS against other distros as it is free and it is well supported by the community.

It ensures the backend of most of the telecom companies I have worked with in my 18 years of experience.

CentOS review by Administrator

"Centos for in house server"

What do you like best?

Very easy to set up especially with all the tutorials online. Even with zero knowledge of the OS, you can easily deploy a centos server copying and pasting commands from online tutorials. Best of all, its free!

What do you dislike?

It can get quite confusing when something doesnt work as you would expect it to. Because it is all command line operations, it can take a bit of tinkering to do simple tasks as you would on mac and windows.

We used a windows server based server to host our inhouse web server and wed have problems with our mysql and mssql database when used with ms access. We eliminated this problem by strictly using mysql and recreated our order management software in php. Much faster read and write operations and easy to set up security

CentOS review by User in Computer Software

"Different from the other linux servers"

What do you like best?

This is one of the best servers which I ever work with. It is very simple to configure. I used this Operating system to host my client websites. It is very easy to configure LAMP server there. It has very good performance.

What do you dislike?

If we are talking about the packages in centos, it is tough to configure in centos but in Ubuntu, the packages we can install very easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to configure, and it is good if you use CentOS as a server.

Simply, we used this because this is easy to configure.

CentOS review by Robert R.
Robert R.

"Very solid Linux Distro for the professional network. "

What do you like best?

It is a stable, well supported OS, from a company I trust.

What do you dislike?

I am not as familiar with the RPM system, coming from Debian based distros in my last job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend putting the /home file space on a second drive.

It is the recommended OS for running OpenNMS, our network monitoring software.

CentOS review by James M.
James M.

"Secure and stable"

What do you like best?

I like that CentOS is set up for ease of use, stability, and security built in from the get-go. With long term supported releases, it's my go to server OS.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing CentOS specific that I dislike. It has some of the similiar pitfalls that most Linux variations have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those favoring stability first and foremost, it's a solid choice.

I use CentOS to host a variety of websites and web applications. By using the same release over multiple servers I don't have the headaches some admins do of managing dependencies for different releases.

CentOS review by Herm H.
Herm H.

"A powerful alternative to a Windows based server"

What do you like best?

Open source. Stable. Updates without rebooting.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve if coming from Windows. Works best with a custom distribution like ClearOS

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Linux as a server platform. CentOS is a top contender in the Linux arena, particularly when coupled to a platform like ClearOS to provide simple configuration and support.

Providing stable networking, file storage, remote access, and email.

CentOS review by Scott T.
Scott T.

"CentOS for education"

What do you like best?

Free, very stable, easy to find support for online

What do you dislike?

command line, can be intimidating, have to contract out to a vendor for support if you need it

Recommendations to others considering the product

extremely stable, set it and forget it kind of software.

centos is on our freepbx server for all our phones (200 users, 4 schools)

CentOS review by Anshul J.
Anshul J.

"A stable production ready Operating System"

What do you like best?

Stability and performance are the best features of the CentOS. There is no bloatware.

What do you dislike?

It is mainly targeted towards servers. Many desktop applications cannot run out of the box and is not recommended for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is intended for server use, If you are looking for operating system and doesn't want bleeding edge updates or new features as soon as they are rolled out then CentOS should be the OS of your choice.

Implemented a production hadoop cluster. The operating system in use was CentOS.

CentOS review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"As Good As Redhat and Free. Fit for our small team in a nonprofit organization. "

What do you like best?

Our small team selects CentOS simply because that it is very similar to Redhat and it's free. We are in a nonprofit organization, so it's very important for us to reduce the cost while providing with almost same service. CentOS is a perfect option.

At the same time, all the team members are happy to invest time on the most popular platform(such as CentOS) instead of other Linux distribution(such as openSUSE), since we don't want to waste any minute on the less-famous platform and their tools.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, we will find some open source projects which supports Ubuntu primarily and leaves CentOS in the non-fully-supported list. For example, Wine project(www.winehq.org) supports Ubuntu best. In this case, it will be a little bit inconvenient. It needs your a little bit more time to fix the problems. So, usually, as a backup of CentOS, we also invest time on Ubuntu.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very fit for nonprofit organization and the team taking full responsibility of it instead of needing Redhat being responsible for problems.

Our small team uses VirtualBox+CentOS+Our homemade software tools to provide service with the users.

CentOS review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"CentOS: The free distribution of Red Hat"

What do you like best?

The best thing about CentOS is that is a open source distribution of Red Hat Enterprise. It is very stable and is one of the most used Linux distributions available.

What do you dislike?

Installation can be a little tedious and confusing, especially for someone who doesn't work with servers often.

Since we host our own servers, CentOS plays a huge role in our day to day business. We host around 300+ websites all on our own servers and a custom built content management system for the clients to add/update content

CentOS review by User

"Prefer Fedora"

What do you like best?

Basically CentOS is RHEL without technical support. My research group use it for the excellent stability and compatibility. I use it for running in-house scientific computing codes.

What do you dislike?

Most components (linux kernel, glibc, etc.) are quite old, which can be trouble . I personally prefer Fedora if I have to use rpm Linux distribution. From my personal experience Fedora is not less stable than CentOS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Suit for small organizations that cannot afford RHEL.

Operation system, I use it for scientific computing.

CentOS review by Administrator

"Excelent OS but with big work on it"

What do you like best?

CentOS is a great OS for your bussines (in fact one of the best OS), its hard, its quick and have millions apps to make your live easier as a sistem admin, but its difficult for a starter os admin, because the complexity. Great os but at the start dificult to learn.

What do you dislike?

I didnt dislike a anything, only the fact that in the internet when you ask for a problem or error ore something like this about the os normaly you find about other unix distros than centos, but this at this time has start to change.

Only make me the live easier in a hundred of web servers.

CentOS review by Antonino Francesco M.
Antonino Francesco M.

"A solid choice for every server"

What do you like best?

CentOS is one of the top server enterprise Linux distributions. It has an amazing long and support lifespan, and great compatibility and support.

CentOS has a very long development cycle, witch means that it has a very well-tested and proven code.

Community is very large too, making the search for a solution very quick and easy.

What do you dislike?

The worst thing in CentOS is the need to add EPEL package repository to install some useful software that's not part of the CentOS universe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a server, the choice is CentOS.

Our team uses CentOS+Jira+Bitbucket+Jenkins in order to organize our repository and to continuous delivery our web sites in production server.

CentOS review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"OS with great stability and security, an enterprise level linux distro"

What do you like best?

What really makes difference about this distro is the packages support. You don't need to search another source for the basics that your business need. It's very up to date, secure and stable. Community is very large too, with a lot of resource available on the internet. It's compatible with RedHat, wich makes a big difference when compared to others linux distros.

What do you dislike?

For real, it's extreme hard to tell what I dislike in this distro. But, the "painful" point is to have to add EPEL package repository to install some great packages, that's not part of the CentOS core.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a server, the best choice is CentOS. Does not make difference the purpose, because it has been pretty valuable for many situations. This is the prove that great softwares can be done with Open Source world. You always find good documentation about the OS and real cases.

This is the main linux server that I use, hosting web application in JAVA, Ruby on Rails and static websites. I use it too for databases installations. For development and containers, this is the default choice.

CentOS review by John D.
John D.

"CentOS 7.x"

What do you like best?

No issues with AWS Centos AMI. Have used Centos AMI's on AWS since Version 5.x . Easy to configure, no issues with image copies and AMI clones. Always get what I expect

What do you dislike?

Nothing, they seem to keep the most stable version on Software, as an Example, Docker 1.10 on CentOS 7.2, very stable, uses overlay FS, and no surprises.

Creating Clusters for DCOS and Apache Mesos.

CentOS review by Consultant in Computer Networking
Consultant in Computer Networking

"CentOS - Open Source Enterprise Operating System "

What do you like best?

Following are which I like the best:

1) Enterprise level

2) Open Source

3) Greater package management system

4) Latest Security patches

What do you dislike?

Not that I have seen anything much severe, but if there could be any server management standalone utilities proprietary to CentOS to manage the system would be better. Without custom management scripts, it will be very difficult to manage individual or group of hosts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If a small or medium scale business who wouldn't like to invest much on hosting the solution, then CentOS meets all the needs. Even for an enterprise level, will choose support to be on a safe side. For the most security patches are up to date.

For any type of usage like web/enterprise/cloud/hosting etc., CentOS delivers perfectly. Personally used it to host my website for Oracle Apps knowledge training and maintaining customer Oracle EBS instances. Even a desktop version have greater benefits in comparison to any other secured operating system providing performance benefits of enterprise level.

CentOS review by Giuseppe D.
Giuseppe D.

"CentOS: The RHEL experience and quality for all"

What do you like best?

CentOS is a free and powerful Linux distribution from RedHat Enterprise. Is an ideal distribution for small and big company and personal servers. With CentOS is easy to create a new general purpose or specific server.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes don't have the latest package version but the quality and stability of package is excellent!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Install and use it

With CentOS i have created a LDAP and VPN server for my company.

CentOS review by Niti S.
Niti S.

"Best to host Linux OS"

What do you like best?

For a beginner like me, Centos makes things easier to learn about Linux platform.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit clunky compared to Windows to which I am pretty accustomed to.

Pin Tool and MPX instructions implementation.

CentOS review by Emmanuel M.
Emmanuel M.

"Is a perfect OS, easy to use and secure"

What do you like best?

The gnome-terminal is speed end robust, the kernel Linux is the best for any OS. CentOS is simple , i like.

What do you dislike?

The GUI is minimalistic and can be better for final users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CentOS is a good alternative based in Linux.

I connect to differents networks, and differents VM, and too i did developer script in console.

CentOS review by Lucian M.
Lucian M.

"CentOS - performant Linux OS for your dedicated server"

What do you like best?

Stable OS, reliable, easy to use, secure, popular.

What do you dislike?

Some software is not natively built for it (like Canvas is for Ubuntu)

Website hosting, Cpanel , Clou

CentOS review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Use system as a micro size servers for non critical services for internal IT"

What do you like best?

Small resources requirement. Easy to setup and support.

What do you dislike?

VMware tools doesn't work properly and it is hard to find the proper documentation sometime even with google as some linux users doing just short clues where you need to move for the solution, but you still have to do a lot of research if you are not familiar with linux basics.

Using several separate servers for separate services needed for different need of internal IT saving some resources that could be consumed more if it would be installed on separate windows servers.

CentOS review by Aaron V.
Aaron V.

"Great Multipurpose Operating System"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup. Easy to deploy on any hardware. Wide variety of software

What do you dislike?

The minimal installation requires you to know a lot about linux systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very familiar with Linux before using CentOS. There is no GUI by default. You must know linux command line.

Server software. Benefits are the software is open source and stable.

CentOS review by wendy H.
wendy H.

"A Linux OS with almost everything you want."

What do you like best?

CentOS has everything I wanted in a Linux operation system. It is easy to install and solid.

It has a large community, and you can find many helps.

What do you dislike?

Some new softwares landed on Ubuntu before CentOS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CentOS is a good choice for server. It has many great softwares. You can find many help about OS and problems on the Internet.

We use centOS on servers which hold programming competitions in my school. We use it to host PC^2 server and host python applications.

CentOS review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"The best option for cost reduction and enterprise linux..."

What do you like best?

CentOS is a package for package duplicate of the RedHat Enterprise Linux RPM based distribution.

What do you dislike?

This is a distribution not supported by a large organization which would then limit its ability to be used in the enterprise.

CentOS provides the ability for us to use an enterprise class distribution without the high cost associated with it.

CentOS review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Simple OS"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, and versatile enough to get the job done that we need it to. I like having resources available for Red Hat that carry over to CentOS. I was also impressed with how simple it was to setup a secure web server. We have several web servers that run various services for our institution. Each server (knock on wood!) has been bullet proof with minimal problems.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a simple, fast, and reliable operating system to run a Linux environment in. I feel it is a no brainer to go with CentOS.

We are using it for several web servers.

CentOS review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Computer Software

"CentOS is RHEL in a Free Package"

What do you like best?

CentOS is an extremely mature and stable platform for system administrators to use. There are easy-to-download ISOs which don't change rapidly, and are a direct evolution of RHEL, the most widely-used Linux Platform. CentOS posts Docker and AWS Images for ease of use in a virtual environment, and the entire system is designed for rapid secure deployment.

What do you dislike?

CentOS is not as rapid as other distributions like Ubuntu in developing new features and releasing them to their community. In addition, the community behind CentOS is not as large, and so I often find myself using resources intended for RHEL or Fedora.

We use CentOS in our development environment to avoid the expensive costs of RHEL Licensing. Because it is such a good drop-in substitute, it allows us to scale large infrastructures without the added cost.

CentOS review by Administrator in Consumer Goods
Administrator in Consumer Goods

"Rock solid and very secure"

What do you like best?

Basic install comes very secure and locked down. Is not a resource intensive OS. Very few patches and when patches are needed, it rarely requires a reboot. Up time is amazing!

What do you dislike?

Nothing that is the OS fault, my experience in Linux is limited. I would say I am not a big fan of the new firewall, but I will get use to it.

Web site and web based application hosting

CentOS review by User in Computer Software

"Free, Secure and Stable"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, stability, and security built in from the get-go. Very few patches and when patches are needed, it rarely requires a reboot. Up time is amazing! I was also impressed with how simple it was to setup a secure web server. We have several web servers that run various services for our institution.

What do you dislike?

They do not release new versions as often as I would like, but it is certainly not a deal breaker. It can get quite confusing when something doesnt work as you would expect it to.

CentOS review by Administrator

"Centos 7 - Excellent Free Linux Distribution"

What do you like best?

- ease of use

- stable

- excellent alternative to other linux distribution

What do you dislike?

- can't really find anything bad about this operating system

- may be slightly less used than other linux distributions so less help online

but linux is linux so usually can find some kind of help

- Installed ELK Stack on CentOS

- Easy installation of ELK (Elasticsearch,Logstash, Kibana)

CentOS review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"CentOS 7"

What do you like best?

CentOS 7 is like a rock it just works, I have tried them all, well almost. But I away's come back to CentOS.

What do you dislike?

Won't run with VT-d enabled in the BIOS.

Good development tools pre-installed.

CentOS review by Administrator in Computer & Network Security
Administrator in Computer & Network Security

"Great free option for running Redhat in places where support is not required"

What do you like best?

Centos is free, stable, and is based on the redhat source code. The package manager has most of the software that you need to run the system and adding additional repositories is easy.

What do you dislike?

Centos 7 moved to the systemd core, which has positives and negatives. Getting used to all the new commands will take some time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare the distributions available for the features you need. Then make sure to secure the system that means leaving the firewall and SELinux on.

Centos is a good option for any system that must run linux.

CentOS review by Administrator in Judiciary
Administrator in Judiciary

"CentOS is the best business Linux for the price"

What do you like best?

Pretty much complete compatibility with RHEL.

What do you dislike?

Packages can get seriously out of date and you often have to rely on third party repositories for updates (especially PHP)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get hung up on all the SystemD naysayers. It really works well and is not that big of a learning curve.

Easy, well-supported Linux-based software installations.

CentOS review by Jason S.
Jason S.

"CentOS is great open source software to run your business."

What do you like best?

Open source - Fully upgrade lifecycle process

What do you dislike?

Not the same support as Red Hat Enterprise.

Moving our unix systems to open source Centos saves us money.

CentOS review by User in Internet

"Great stable server environment"

What do you like best?

Great server os for host web applications and services..

package updates using yum are easy to use.

stable and tons of community support

secure

fast and scalable

easy to maintain and manage

easy install to get up and running

What do you dislike?

there is really nothing i dislike. i have been using this distro for over 10 years on probably 20 servers

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you want a great linux server for webapps or databases, centos is a great choice

I use centos to run all my web applications, my databases, my web services. The benefits of centos is i have a stable secure environment to run my apps

CentOS review by Administrator

"Enterprise Class Distro with no String Attached"

What do you like best?

As the name suggest CentOS (Community Enterprise Operating System) is free, community supported, Enterprise class operating system. Due to Its binary is compatibility with RHEL, it is highly compatible with most Linux software.

What do you dislike?

Dependency on Redhat, No Certification & Training available. Bug Fixes are dependent on RHEL releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you looking stable Linux distro for server nothing compete with CentOS. Go ahead experience the power of Linux with CentOS

Instead of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, we are hosting web servers with CentOS.

CentOS review by George V.
George V.

"Great for hosting business use"

What do you like best?

It is backed up by a professional ream at RedHat and it has a high lifespan.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it is not possible to upgrade between major versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is based on RHEL, a well-known commercial OS. It has the advantages of finding very easily answers on issues on community forums. We should point out that it is not easy to upgrade to a newer major version, however it's life cycle is very satisfactory. It is worth giving it a try!

We used to have RHEL for our infrastructure. By using CentOS we managed to keep the same quality and cut down our maintenance costs.

CentOS review by Derek H.
Derek H.

"A great option for most SMBs"

What do you like best?

Easy package management, software updates, and administration.

What do you dislike?

Initial setup can be painful on SOME hardware. Usually this isn't a big problem.

We have used CentOS for many of our more cost-conscious clients who are in need of a reliable server. It allows us to use very affordable hardware to produce an effective solution.

"Powerful SO"

What do you like best?

CentOS is a very powerful operative system, bringing the possibility to deploy non "friendly" software in a unix environment. You can deploy an oracle database without problems that you can find in ubuntu or fedora.

In terms of repos, are less than ubuntu distribution but enough to find anything that you need like PHP, java, or anything else.

What do you dislike?

Yum installer and the repos its poor in comparison with ubuntu or red hat

Databases deployments and virtual environments

CentOS review by Anthony E.
Anthony E.

"Just Makes Cents!"

What do you like best?

I love the community-driven, open-source aspect of CentOS. Being fairly new to Linux, I was able to find answers to all of my questions by utilizing community efforts and ultimately was able to create a file/email server from ground-up off of a bare-bones installation. CentOS is a highly-stable, enterprise-ready solution for anyone seeking an open-source framework for their server needs.

What do you dislike?

Being accustomed to Windows, CentOS poses its own set of challenges when making the jump to Linux. My dislikes all stem from nothing more than lack of experience and working knowledge at this point - again all my questions have been answered thus-far by seeking assistance online through forums and technology articles. CentOS has proven to be a great platform capable of everything I have looked into.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to utilize the outstanding community knowledge-base when seeking answers!

Using CentOS I am currently hosting a file and email server, web-login portal, calendar and interactive online documents (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) ~ The cost benefits alone are astronomical, as everything I have used is free and open-source.

CentOS review by User in Research
User in Research

"Simple to use CentOS for Linux Development"

What do you like best?

Simple to install and use, very similar to Red Hat. Cent OS is free, and community driven.

What do you dislike?

Infrequently updated compared to Red Hat, less support. Little commercial support, but you pay what you get for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely, as it's a free to use operating system, with most of the benefits of Red Hat.

No true problems. Benefits have been far and wide, being free to use, and has binary compatibility. Little commercial support available; however, it's nice to have something that free and wide to us.

CentOS review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"CentOS is a stable OS which is good for research!"

What do you like best?

I especially like CentOS's stable environment. It makes me easy to install and update software packages for research such as Matlab.

What do you dislike?

CentOS got a great jump between 6.0 and 7.0. Compatibility is an issue in this case.

I am trying to solve scientific research problems, and most high performing computing languages/packages such as BLAS and C++ work only well on Linux.

"Versatile OS and Free"

What do you like best?

Extremely versatile operating system, I've deployed for many different purposes from simple web servers to complex sequencing systems. If you don't need the support then this is the distro to go for over it's Red Hat brother.

What do you dislike?

Basic distros have few packages built in to the OS, need to add many things yourself

Web server amongst many others

CentOS review by Jenn C.
Jenn C.

"CentOS experience"

What do you like best?

I use the command line a lot and the centos interface is pretty good for that.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Google Chrome browser is not compatible with CentOS.

My job is highly computational so this allows me to use a variety of computational analysis tools.

CentOS review by Vlad V.
Vlad V.

"Good if you need RedHat compatibility"

What do you like best?

RedHat compatibility

Easy upgrade path to commercial alternative, if you need

OpenSource

What do you dislike?

Administration is more cumbersome than Ubuntu Server.

Breaking package changes

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't need RedHat compatibility, go with Ubuntu Server LTS; otherwise CentOS is still a good distro

WebServer: Tomcat, Jboss, PHP

Certification Authority: EJBCA

CentOS review by Israel L.
Israel L.

"the best os"

What do you like best?

excellent SO for server business high perform, software and updates per day

What do you dislike?

I need to have a high degree of knowledge to handle it

Recommendations to others considering the product

excellent operating system for deploying business services

deploy enterprise services (CRM, ERP), webservices, api,

CentOS review by User in Computer Software

"Full featured and easy to use OS"

What do you like best?

It is easy to install and support and provides the security and performance that we need in our applications and services.

What do you dislike?

running a cron job using "sudo" in the command requires a tty device even though in the OS that CentOS is based has removed that requirement a long time ago.

Deploying our Cloud-based applications in AWS. The biggest benefit has been the ease of installation and getting the system up and running.

CentOS review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Sports
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Sports

"Very Good"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and very user friendly. It was very beneficial to have the software right in front of me and not asking many questions on the functionality of the software. Again the user friendly part was very top priority.

What do you dislike?

The amount of time using the different areas.

There were a lot of areas I was unfamiliar with but I am working through the issues.

CentOS review by Shawn B.
Shawn B.

"Quick Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and install

No complaints after using this OS

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some toold will say it supports CentOS, but it doesnt fully work

We use CentOS for virtual deployments

CentOS review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Same features as Redhat without enterprise cost"

What do you like best?

open source; ability to debug issues deep down

mature kernel; limited issues resultant of centos itself

yum automated package installation

What do you dislike?

community only support

open source license trouble for legal departments

OS; platform that hosts the business application

benefits: matures and robust kernel

"Fast and simple"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy centos as a software. We connect to our customers through a Linux environment. It is simple and pretty easy to you.

What do you dislike?

The software is unique. It does take a learning curve to learn. But once you get the basics down you can get where you need to.

Moving and copying files. Creating users and groups.

CentOS review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Lightweight OS for Development Purposes"

What do you like best?

The speed of the OS amkes everything you do very simple and basic. It offers a lot of functionality for inner code development and has a user-friendly UI.

What do you dislike?

The look could use some updates and the process of automatic updates could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it is very good for what it is, a development platform with plethora of development tools, it could use a few updates.

Programming Development.

"Centos"

What do you like best?

Great server operating system if you want to avoid paying for RedHat. Super stable and more geared to production environments than Ubuntu

What do you dislike?

Certain components line latest kubernetes and docker bells and whistles may not be available right away.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for server linux distro, Centos is your number 1 choice.

Running GPU-based computational and web cluster.

CentOS review by Administrator in Computer Hardware
Administrator in Computer Hardware

"Free. Enterprise-grade. Can't go wrong here."

What do you like best?

Ease of use, dead-nuts reliable, great security options.

What do you dislike?

I like this Linux distribution just fine. Can't say that I dislike anything.

We are using this in HPC applications. Works well for what we need it to do.

CentOS review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Effective product"

What do you like best?

Simple to use yet highly affective Linux based program

What do you dislike?

Unless you know Linux it is hard to use, has custom queries for CentOS only

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly stable product, front runner for Linux based systems

CentOS runs on a few of my servers to host applications. It is highly stable and very rarely requires updatea

CentOS review by User

"The best SO to Server"

What do you like best?

It is a powerful SO and we not pay by use it

What do you dislike?

We must to hard work to configuration it

Recommendations to others considering the product

This SO is powerful, and You can use all power without pay

We run our data base in a server with this SO and I have this data base without to have pay by a SO

CentOS review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Bes Open Source Operating System"

What do you like best?

Very stable, robust and scalable. Free RHEL

What do you dislike?

Might be scary for beginners, knowledge of linux required

Call Center, Monitoring Tool

CentOS review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"CentOS"

What do you like best?

It’s easy to use and straightforward, exactly what you would expect.

What do you dislike?

I had no issues or anything that I disliked.

CentOS is great for any purpose where a Linux machine is needed. It is a very straightforward and simple Linux flavor.

CentOS review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"I prefer ubuntu"

What do you like best?

I can have an OS at the very least. But other than that, it's nothing special

What do you dislike?

It's slow, overhead is annoying, and I prefer ubuntu

We just need a VM we can all use and it's government approved

"Solid and secure"

What do you like best?

Security and ease of use. can be easily used by beginners and advanced.

What do you dislike?

its package manager -- not a fan of yum.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth learning as a step up from other flavors of linux.

server for web development and hosting

CentOS review by Administrator in Consumer Services
Administrator in Consumer Services

"Best for CPanel web server"

What do you like best?

I like that it is pretty barebones. It doesn't have much running in the background.

What do you dislike?

I dislike there is no desktop interface on a webserver by default.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the thing to use.

Web hosting/troubleshooting server issues

CentOS review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"CentOS simple and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Easy to find Information on the internet. Exemple: When you want to install new feature.

What do you dislike?

For sure it’s a Linux, Windows users will have a good learning curve.

Our backup solution is running in CentOS

CentOS review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"CentOS for Exploration Geophysics"

What do you like best?

It runs very smoothly and I don't have any crashing experience.

What do you dislike?

GUI and Applications Accessibility needs more work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it easier to access different applications

Geophysical Exploration Processing and Modeling Softwares.

CentOS review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"CentOS"

What do you like best?

It's stable and flexible. It stays out of your way.

What do you dislike?

It's not Ubuntu. You have a harder time using more popular programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Link with unified credentials.

We use Linux to build and test.

CentOS review by Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"CentOS"

What do you like best?

complete

productivity

Stable

Network

consistent interface

Free for Use

What do you dislike?

Not Easy Configuration

Use too much memory

Base on Unix environment platform only

Recommendations to others considering the product

stable

fit the servers needs

CentOS review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"One of the Best Linux OS for beginner for linux"

What do you like best?

Easily understandable commands for beginners

What do you dislike?

It is sometime difficult to troubleshoot network issues especially for beginners for where to look for

Setting up Linux environments

CentOS review by Administrator

"The Best Server Distro we find"

What do you like best?

I like this distribution for the simple way to install and configure

What do you dislike?

The graphical interface could be better.

Server Side testing envirronment with upgrading online

CentOS review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Amazing. why use red hat"

What do you like best?

everything but the support which the community gives you. why use anything else?!

What do you dislike?

N/a the product is free. This is 100% the positive.

costs

CentOS review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"CentOS_Rev"

What do you like best?

performance, speed and usability. OS is portable and small.

What do you dislike?

familiarity and compatibility. drivers and GUI

retail software testing

Learning about CentOS?

* We monitor all CentOS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.