CentOS

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor.

Work for CentOS?

Learning about CentOS?

CentOS Reviews

Showing 91 CentOS reviews
CentOS review by <span>George S.</span>
George S.

"Reliable Server OS"

What do you like best?

Most important to us is that the OS is reliable (compiled from RedHat Enterprise Linux), is free, and yum is there for updating or adding new software.

What do you dislike?

On rare occasion there is software we want that is not available through a yum repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need technical support then RedHat Enterprise Linux may be your best choice. Otherwise, I highly recommend CentOS. You can always try it and then switch to RHEL if you need the support.

We use a particular database manager that is restricted to a few version of the underling OS. Our clients run a separate server with our ERP software which we remotely manage for them. Initially, we ran Windows server, but found that Linux was more reliable and required less hardware to do the job. In 2001 we began switching server over to RedHat Enterprise Linux. We had a support agreement with RedHat for 3 years and used it one time. We ran without a support agreement a couple of years and then adopted CentOS and never had any regrets.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CentOS
CentOS review by <span>Enrique Y.</span>
Enrique Y.

"Operating system for servers"

What do you like best?

What I like about centos is its performance as an operating system for servers, in addition to the stability and features of this robust Linux distribution of easy configuration for web servers, it has a library repertoire and it has the security of the source packages released from red hat.

What do you dislike?

What I do not like about centos is that in some installations it has caused problems with the network interfaces which I have to do cumbersome procedures for their configuration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

my recommendation for other users is if they are going to install versions of mysql see which are compatible with the different versions of centos, so they do not have problems when importing a database.

I have used it as an operating system in vmware, when I am asked for requirements for the creation of web servers, proxies and mail server, due to its resemblance to red hat is an operating system very requested by web programmers.

What Operating System solution do you use?

CentOS review by <span>Silvia M.</span>
Silvia M.

"A stable, performant and always updated platform"

What do you like best?

Centos is an Linux Operating System derived from the sources of Red Hat Linux, it is a community version of Red Hat without the branding and so it's completely free and open source.

It came in 3 main version: DVD ISO, Everything ISO and Minimal ISO., and you can choose between GNOME or KDE Desktop version. So you have the embarrassment of choice. It's easy to install, come with a nice set of preinstalled application.

What do you dislike?

The performance can be much better, the audio and video codec often have some problems and for those who are neophyte it could be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With CentOS you have everything you need to work peacefully, including regular updates, great community, and numerous online help and guides that can help you in which case you have a problem. It's also free and very easy to install as well as easy to use.

With CentOS we can use most feature of RedHat Linux but without spending anything, it have all the tool we need and the update are fast and regular. The Operating System is also very Stable.

CentOS review by <span>Alvaro R.</span>
Alvaro R.

"The best Linux operating system"

What do you like best?

I like this Linux operating system in my personal opinion is the best OS that exists in the distribution. Centos is super phenomenal and compatible with most systems to implement. It allows the installation of your own CWP panel for free and that makes it fastastico as well as its easy-to-understand package of files.

What do you dislike?

This operating system has no news to disgust me, I have many years using this operating system and I really never had problems with that, whenever I have any doubts, have enough material on their website and support Group to manage to solve Fast and effective way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend CentOS for its easy installation and implementation, for me is the leader of Linux operating systems, many brands or panels can certify as it is compatible with most free software that exist.

With CentOS I have solved many problems of sales and I have always installed on my servers this operating system and from there part my company where I have installed CentOS Web panel is one of its wonderful programs of installation free.

CentOS review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"CentOS meets the needs for basic Enterprise Linux"

What do you like best?

CentOS is my OS of choice when working with traditional enterprise, web, and other application development. It is simple to build a pipeline of tools that are easily replicated to many systems in a medium sized enterprise technology department. I use it for my sandboxes and development efforts and even production instances unless some sort of indemnification is required. Working in the PHP, web, and Java space, CentOS handles all of my needs.

What do you dislike?

Dealing with the onslaught of containerization technologies, we have found CentOS lacking in straightforward support of Docker, Kubernetes, and other container solutions. The networking stack is difficult to deal with in containers and the support for CentOS variants usually requires a bit of fiddling with 3rd party yum repos that leave administrators wondering if there are any security risks associated with doing so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using CentOS to host traditional enterprise applications, Java applications, Web applications, or web sites, this is the correct tool. Do not use for building out an infrastructure for containers.

We use CentOS to handle a variety of things such as: directory management, web servers, backend application servers, Java applications, PHP applications, content management systems, digital asset managers, proxy servers, infrastructure as code systems, source control servers, and countless other applications.

CentOS review by <span>Phill H.</span>
Phill H.

"Reliable linux distro for hosting"

What do you like best?

The consistency and compatibility of CentOS in the decade I have been using it for hosting cPanel servers is excellent and makes CentOS my first choice for LAMP stack setups.

What do you dislike?

I am bothered the amount of packages that are made with simple installation scripts for Ubuntu but require more configuration on CentOS setups, although this is a problem with the linux community and not CentOS itself, I think there could be more additions to the CentOS repositories to have these easy setup options available for some packages.

Maintaining a high uptime for hosting service customers on shared VPS setups. CentOS has excellent stability which lets me keep my %99.9 uptime promise to customers

Learning about CentOS?

* We monitor all CentOS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.