Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment

Provides an integrated platform for learning assessment. Includes an ePortfolio, Survey and forms, Analytics, Collaboration, Accreditation Management, Field Placements. Integrates with all common Learning Management Systems.

Work for Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment?

Learning about Chalk & Wire?

Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 12 Chalk & Wire reviews
Chalk & Wire review by Karee S.
Karee S.

"Online assessments Pre Service teachers"

What do you like best?

Easy to fill out, space for comments and ratings, usually easy to navigate and share information digitally, etc.

What do you dislike?

That a specific email address has to be provided and assigned each time. I don't like that I can't go in and see assessment or have it be shared with me without creating a real or "fake" scenario. As the pre-service teaching coordinator, it would be nice if we could have an option to just share the surveys/assessment questions without having to create a person - kind of like a test or demo version. I also dislike that all colleges and universities use something different - some use this, some use other online forms, some use physical paper forms, etc. It would be nice if colleges and universities all started using similar forms so it could be consistent (but I know this isn't a problem with the software/tool). .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare it to other options first, see what items other institutions are using in the area, make sure the forms are set up well, etc.

Saving and communicating with online forms between my work and our pre-service teachers from St. Scholastica. Being able to do this digitally without scanning/signing/etc. is really nice.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment
Chalk & Wire review by User in Higher Education

"Difficult to use"

What do you like best?

I like the in-browser document viewer, and I like the commenting tools.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't resize the in-browser document viewer window. It's too small, and there's nothing I can do about it. The navigation menu is confusing; I don't know what more than half of the labels mean. There are no keyboard shortcuts for anything; most frustratingly, I have to click to change between rows on the rubric/ marking guide. Students can't figure out how to see the comments I leave for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't.

My university has several different campuses that are all separated into different groups on our LMS, but we are all together in one Chalk&Wire group. One of our university officials does something with the data she gathers from Chalk&Wire that has something to do with our accreditation, but NO ONE else that I have spoken to enjoys using Chalk&Wire. I train all of the faculty members on my campus in its use, and though I try very hard not to let my dislike flavor my training sessions, I'm very tired of hearing "So... why do we have to use Chalk&Wire?"

What Assessment solution do you use?

Chalk & Wire review by Bethany B.
Bethany B.

"Chalk&Wire versatile, easy to use, and a wonderful addition to our software capabilities"

What do you like best?

Chalk & Wire allows us to communicate with our students in different class sections easily, as well as send out class reflection prompts. Additionally, we're able to easily assess their responses and run reports throughout the semester and through the life of the student at our school.

What do you dislike?

Chalk & Wire is not intuitively easily understood by the student, but once trained, it becomes second-nature to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Chalk & Wire is a terrific tool for allowing us to assess the students' learning outcomes throughout their four years at our school.

We needed a way to assess the students' experiences in the community through a new curricular experience, and Chalk & Wire allows us to do that. We are able to assess their freshmen reflections during their intro class, their curricular experience reflections during their sophomore year, and their senior year ethics course reflections.

Administrator in Higher Education

"The only "software vendor" that claims to be a "partner" and actually is one!"

What do you like best?

This "product" is not just software, it is a group of people who make sure their customers use the software in the best possible way so they get out of it what they expected to. That is, they are a true "partner" in helping my organization achieve what we need to with their tools. This is rare.

Responsiveness from any level of employee within the company is among the best I've experienced.

This company makes it perfectly clear that they will not "rob Peter to pay Paul" in terms of charging their customers. Each customer pays their way and I believe that avoids the need for hefty annual hikes in their rates, which is very common among software providers. Coming from an organization with limited resources, we really appreciate that honesty.

What do you dislike?

Any complaint or issue I've had has been addressed. Many of my feature requests and suggestions have been implemented. The only negative thing I can think to say is that the modern user interface, which I appreciate as a techie who happens to like UI "stuff," is confusing to a lot - a lot - of my end-users. The appearance of overlaying 3D layers and panels that display in different places on the screen based on screen dimensions is "too much" for a lot of people. But even with this, the company has taken my feedback and I am confident they are actually listening to it.

>>>UPDATE: Most of this was a matter or accepting "change" and once people got used to the new UI a lot of the complaints subsided.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know it's hard to believe a "software vendor" when they tell you they will be your "partner." I did not believe it at first, but then it happened and it hasn't stopped in over three years. It seems crazy, but they really are!

The collection of evidence that can be reviewed and scored based on standardized performance levels. Students submit work, teachers assess their work based on rubrics. Those rubrics are "linked" to outcomes and standards that easily allow my organization to prove that our students are learning what we say they are learning. It is a huge burden that has been made so much easier because we're using this platform, which is specifically designed for this purpose but flexible enough to accommodate different approaches.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Great assessment tool, incredible customer service, needs interface work "

What do you like best?

The customer service from Chalk and Wire is the best in the business. They truly want to help you solve your problems and help you make their product work best for you. They're responsive and make actual changes based on your feedback. They're also super friendly. You can get as much or as little out of the tool as you wish. I hear the LMS integration works well, but we haven't used it yet.

What do you dislike?

The interface is lacking. It's not intuitive and our students, faculty, and mentors don't enjoy the experience. The reporting is a bit clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will be interesting to see what happens to Chalk and Wire now that TK20, Taskstream, and LiveText have all merged. I would think it will be hard to compete.

We streamlined our data collection process and no longer have to deal in paper with our school partners. Our evidence is easily accessible by many stakeholders now. It provides a much needed assessment system to ensure accreditation standards are being met. Having everything in one place is a huge plus.

Chalk & Wire review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Beyond Assessment Software!"

What do you like best?

The company provides essential services! They could get away with providing just the status quo, but they do more than that. There are numerous tools to provide assessment solutions for learning institutions. However, Chalk and Wire has an intuitive interface for students, powerful tools for assessors and data coordinators, and a supportive technical and leadership team. It is NOT about the tools - it is NOT about the software. Chalk and Wire provides headware - the use of their tools for continuous organizational improvement.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike - their personnel is professional and helpful, their technology solutions are powerful and intuitive, and they want to support their users - from the student users to the high-level administrators.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have had extensive experiences with other companies similar to Chalk and Wire. Chalk and Wire is the only company I would endorse for the work that it does.

Their product provides assessment tools, a data warehouse, a professional portfolio suite and an analytics powerhouse.

Chalk & Wire review by Linda B.
Linda B.

"Teacher Preparation program uses C&W for portfolio building, secure video sharing, and assessment"

What do you like best?

We like the fact that C&W is a complete package, at a reasonable price, and from a company that has superior customer service.

What do you dislike?

Not much! It would be nice if we could customize it more to use our own terminology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While no program does everything you want, consider what is most important to you of all you want to accomplish. We are a small staff that was able to launch this with minimal additional work due to the extraordinary good customer support available to us from C&W, as well as the ease with which we could roll out pieces when we were ready.

We started with C&W because we needed a way to share, comment, and access videos of our student teachers in a secure environment that didn't require copious amounts of administration or costs to participants (e.g. cooperating teachers, university supervisors, faculty, as well as candidates). Although there may be better products out there to solve that particular problem, we also wanted other features that would allow us to help students track their learning throughout their time in our program. We've grown into more of the features over the past couple of years and see much potential in what else we can use it for to support not only our candidates' learning, but our own about the effectiveness of our program

Administrator in Higher Education

"Does what we need and more..."

What do you like best?

Chalk & Wire maintains student assessments and the results of faculty evaluation making both readily available when it comes time for accreditation reporting and site visits. External data such as state certification scores and edTPA results can be integrated into the system to provide a full picture of each candidate and lend evidence for reliability and validity of our assessment system.

What do you dislike?

There is a small learning curve for candidates and faculty as the begin to use the system. Once they've used it a few times and begin to become familiar with the system, it is very easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak to other users in your field/program area. They will be of the most assistance when it comes to fully implementing all of the great Chalk & Wire features.

All of our data is now available in a single site and we are not making copies of student work samples, merging excel files, and trying to find assessment results as we draft and submit accreditation reports.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Nimble and helpful software and support"

What do you like best?

It plugs into the LMS fairly seamlessly, and allows for quick submission and easy data collection. The company is small and nimble and has been able to make changes relatively quickly for its users.

What do you dislike?

The system's reporting can be clunky and requires specialization and training to truly get the results we're looking for. We would also like it to plug and play nice with our student information system for the syncing of student demographic data.

As an assessment platform, C&W has solved both the issue of our school of education standards assessment as well as our full campus needs.

Chalk & Wire review by Joelle J. T.
Joelle J. T.

"Need a solution for your assessment ails? Chalk and Wire is the company"

What do you like best?

Chalk and Wire is always there to assist you no matter the problem–Big or Small. They are pro-active company.

What do you dislike?

I have not found ANY issues with the company. In fact, it has been a pleasure to work with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend Chalk and Wire.

I am the manage the assessment and accreditation for a College of Education with over 25 programs. Chalk and Wire has been there to assist with planning, implementation, review of results and revisions.

Chalk & Wire review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Awesome Learning and Assessment System"

What do you like best?

The customer service and personnel make Chalk & Wire one of the best educational service and software providers I have worked with. The software works flawlessly and integrates seamlessness within our enterprise environment. Their support of LTI and standards has given us great confidence in the the sustainability of their systems and tools.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as I compare to other products. It is 100% complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great company to work with and ease of implementation.

Student success and improved retention. It has improved our retention in both online and traditional learning.

Administrator in Higher Education

"The only fully integrated ePortfolio assessment solution."

What do you like best?

Integrates with Learning Management Systems seamlessly via LTI so that coursework assignments become assessment artifacts. Includes a robust package for field experiences.

What do you dislike?

The assessment environment displays student work, annotation tools and a floating assessment rubric, but gets a little crowded at times on smaller screens.

We are developing a comprehensive assessment of educational outcomes on a developmental model, measuring student proficiency throughout their higher-education career.

Learning about Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment?

* We monitor all Chalk & Wire Learning Assessment reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.