CircleCI

CircleCI

CircleCI gives you all the benefits of continuous integration with none of the headaches of maintaining it.

Work for CircleCI?

Learning about CircleCI?

CircleCI Reviews

Ask CircleCI a Question
Showing 195 CircleCI reviews
CircleCI review by Esteban O.
Esteban O.

"A nice continous integration server on the cloud."

What do you like best?

Unit testing is the most important element in our software development process, since it guarantees the quality of our product, but at the same time, is the most time consuming since we have around 8,000 tests and take around 30 minutes to run in a fast computer. When run, they are very resource intensive, so the developer can't do much while they are running. CircleCi takes care of it for us and notifies us in case something goes wrong.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the service is a little bit slow and unresponsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to simplify your product development process and automate the testing and deployment, look no further. Circle CI delivers !

Quality of our product is the main problem CircleCI helps us solve.

Time savings and developer productivity is a big WIN for us.

Build automation is another great feature. Being able to push changes via their workflows is a time saver.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CircleCI
CircleCI review by Manthan M.
Manthan M.

"Great for Deployment"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to deploy a public repository to a private server while hiding all sensitive content. Travis CI does not allow for this. The builds are also significantly faster than other platforms, and the UI is modern unlike some of the other competitors. I am surprised this isnt more popular among open source communities as it is pretty much free for both private and public repositories.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of their new 2.0 system. I find the config file too verbose but this could be good if thats what you need. Travis CI and Gitlab have a much nicer config set up which I prefer. It is nice that they provide sample configs we can copy so it is bearable. I can see how this could be better for more complicated projects. I also find the dashboard a bit confusing. I think Travis CI nailed this with their UI, so this is something Circle CI could improve on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, its free!

Other Continuous integrations do not provide the ability to deploy open source projects to private repositories. Circle CI however does let us, which means we can deploy things like our documentation to private servers for hosting but let the general public provide their editing and skills. The ability to set private environment variables and the ability to copy the public key so I can use that on my private servers for deployment.

What Continuous Integration solution do you use?

CircleCI review by Jerrod M.
Jerrod M.

"Help in integrating with circleci"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is universal, easy to configure and integrates well with existing cloud services. The pricing is calculated "for parallel assembly", in contrast to "for the project" - this allows us to also include several small projects on the side without breaking the bank. The ability of SSH to machine is an excellent bonus, this reduces the amount of time spent tracking errors. CirclecI simplifies the configuration of the integration server - in most cases, a simple yml-file with minimal changes between projects easily allows our Android applications in CI!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I run into problems with an outdated cache, and I have to rebuild the assembly manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you use CircleCI, you save a lot of time! Subscribing to a small development team justifies itself. You get a 14-day trial period to try it out, so do not hesitate to find out if it meets all the requirements of your team

Running large sets of tests is the main advantage. We hope now to create Docker containers with a conveyor.

CircleCI review by Yoanis G.
Yoanis G.

"CircleCI is one of the coolest CI systems in the block"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is very easy to use. You can see that the company puts a lot of effort to provide developers the best CI/CD integration there is. What I like best:

- Pipeline as code: deployment/build pipeline is part of your code and it's actually checked in in your VCS)

- Docker integration: CircleCI 2.0 is containers all the way

- Failure details: You can easily see at which stage and why a build/deployment pipeline failed

What do you dislike?

One thing I would love to see CircleCI support is GPU but well that only applies if you're in the AI domain. Also probably better / more exhaustive build stats. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible but it would be nice if Docker volumes could be more easily supported when using the Remote Docker option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're into CI/CD then you ought to give CircleCI a try. It's a modern tool that can help you do a better job.

- Continuous Integration

- Automated builds/deployments

CircleCI review by Mario C.
Mario C.

"Fast, useful, most suitable for simpler projects"

What do you like best?

CircleCI 2.0 now offers a powerful engine to run jobs on top of Docker images, which allows you to run whatever you need for your project, not being limited by the supported languages. Also, pipelines and workflows are highly customizable.

What do you dislike?

Although you can customize the pipelines however you want, having to write everything using YAML is really annoying and if you have a slightly more complicated pipeline, you'll end up with a huge YAML file on your project. Also, their UI needs to be upgraded with features like workflows in mind, as currently you can see a list of recent builds, as in 1.0, but cannot see a list with all previous workflows and which jobs have been ran on them, like in GoCD, for example.

I'm automating the test and deployment of many projects from my open-source organization. CircleCI has proved one of the best free options available due to its free plan to open-source repositories, even for mobile (iOS) projects.

CircleCI review by Paul S.
Paul S.

"Excellent service"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is continuously adding new features such as Workflows and support for Docker, which has fit very well into our software development lifecycle. In particular, support for docker-based builds and tests works very well for us.

What do you dislike?

The new workflows feature reports build success/failure on each step without indicating which part of the workflow succeeded or failed, making it difficult to know when a run is complete. Per-workflow notifications rather than per-job notifications would improve this substantially for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great service with a good support community and I personally received excellent direct support from several CircleCI employees via the support forums and direct email. The initial setup is straight forward and I was able to get our first project building and running tests using CircleCI in about a day's worth of effort.

We use CircleCI to automate running test suites on our software products as part of our regular software development lifecycle. Having tests run automatically after pushing commits gives us confidence to release early and release often, and also to identify problems early in the software development cycle.

CircleCI review by Nathan P.
Nathan P.

"The Cleanest Looking Build Manager"

What do you like best?

I am very impressed with how clean the UI/UX of CircleCI is. I have used many other build managers but none as nice as CircleCI. I also like how different aspects of the build were broken down by CircleCI. I haven't seen this on any other build manager and the individual times for each section are a huge help to figure out what part of the build process is taking the longest - helping us reduce time and reduce costs.

What do you dislike?

I didn't like how long builds have to wait. I get that there's a paid tier with more containers but waiting 20+ mins just to start a build is ridiculous. I think there needs to be a better solution to allow for more parallel builds

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the support tools

We're solving CI with unit tests and deployment for testing to Apple's TestFlight

CircleCI review by Ihsan F.
Ihsan F.

"The Easiest CI"

What do you like best?

I like circle ci with the ease of it's implementation, doesn't have to learn the whole new things, it's also provide us with ssh access to your build which can be helpful sometimes to debug your problems, and you can do it with a single click.

What do you dislike?

I can't control how many cpu that circle ci use for my build, or I don't know how, maybe I just need to read the docs, i'm just too lazy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it, it will save you alot of times and hard work

It help us with the automated build and test and also provide us with the build artifacts which we can use for the deployment also give use archive for each of our build, this things save us alot of time and cost

CircleCI review by Steven W.
Steven W.

"It's a fantastic way to automate almost any project from testing to deployment"

What do you like best?

The workflows and ability to run different sets of tests or types of tests on a single repository is fantastic. You can have both your javascript frontend code and python backend code in the same repository and run tests and deployments on them both.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model is a little confusing for the cloud-based setup in terms of deciding what you really need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it out. Their support team has been great so far in giving advice and input on the best way to implement some things.

If the desire is to move to infrastructure as code and move away from tools like Jenkins, this seems like a great way to do it. We're able to include all our configuration and deployment code in the repo with the code.

CircleCI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"CircleCI is the best Tool I have ever used "

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

Nothing much, everything is good and its most reliable . Dislike is always tuff to mention when this tool is doing more good things .

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Tool recommendation is absolutely necessary atleast to give it a try . You will like the tool for sure and especially when you are waterfall methodology , you will catch the issues very earlier in the phase . Automation is also can come handy when you want to run old Unit test cases and test the current code .

I had liked in all aspects and especially build and automation is good. The tool support is very responsive and Everyone in the team liked it very much and it saved a lot of efforts and money for the project . All these things i had used in my previous client place .I had solved my planning . I had solved my building and automation and improved in the aspect of multi logins to the same codes and check in's and automating unit test cases and documentation .

CircleCI review by Ken Y.
Ken Y.

"Easy to set up and use for uncomplicated projects"

What do you like best?

If you've got a typical build pipeline and want to add your Android projects so they build on a 3rd party service instead of setting up your own Jenkins server, CircleCI should be on your short list.

What do you dislike?

Could never get caching of SDK downloads to work, so it always updated their build images version of the Android SDK to the latest before building and that was a waste of 5-10 minutes.

For larger projects, the VM they give you also doesn't have enough memory, but for larger projects, you're probably to be looking at more complicated solutions that involve running tests on emulators in parallel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Circle CI 2.0 is a lot faster now and is well worth considering. We ended up only needing to pay the lowest cost bracket.

Simplifies setting up a CI/CD pipeline for your Android (and server) projects without requiring you to setup and maintain your own build servers in-house and worrying about them running of disk space, etc.

CircleCI review by Philipp G.
Philipp G.

"A booster for your team efficiency"

What do you like best?

It was super easy to do the initial setup. We were ready in less than a week.

What do you dislike?

Using the documentation is sometimes hards since there are two versions. V1 seems to be the default but everything else encourages you to use only V2 features.

Our devs had to wait up to 20 minutes for our test pipeline to finish. This didn't even include all checks but only the most relevant ones. The result was that the review column of our Kanban board just grew and grew because it was so hard to push features through. With Circle CI we execute 3 times the checks in a quarter of the time. This immediately cleared the review column and also sped up the reviews since we could automate more.

CircleCI review by Sanjeet U.
Sanjeet U.

"Great tool for integrated testing"

What do you like best?

It can easily be set up with GitHub, and from there makes sure a new feature to be pulled in the main code base doesn't break any of the tests that have been set up.

What do you dislike?

It's probably not a circle-ci thing, but when first introduced to circle-ci and not doing the actual set up of it as a junior it can be a learning curve. When you have failing tests in the circle ci it can be hard to see the errors or know which commands to run depending on the test suite that is failing especially with es-lint.

Making sure that new features are compliant with the testing suites and that it doesn't break the main code base.

CircleCI review by Evan T.
Evan T.

"Great product, wish the builds were a bit faster!"

What do you like best?

Great docker support. Good UI. Good docs. Good Github integration.

What do you dislike?

1. Most of our build time is spent spinning up the environment. I wish that was a bit faster.

2. It would be GREAT if I could exit early from a job without giving an exit error code. Basically I want to skip parts of the job based on certain conditions. Of course I can do this inside a shell script, but some build steps cannot be executed inside a shell. The example I'm thinking of is "setup_remote_docker", which comprises a large chunk of our build time (see point 1).

We're actually using CircleCI to deploy our SAAS product. It helps keep us agile.

CircleCI review by Kent S.
Kent S.

"Good performance"

What do you like best?

I like to know that with this solution I can Increase develop productivity. Also, I'm more careful about reduce operational overhead. Great that everything is secured for you.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to say bad about that platform.What you need you will have. Will helps you to do your work with higher quality. Support service works so great. Always will shows you the right way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very great and powerful tools. Great to work with that software and easy to use. And very helpful with your creation. Much faster work than you think.

As for its the greatest Software for the company. The CircleCI Helps us with automatically test of our creation in a clean case.We are all notified if a build breaks down so problems can be fixed fast.

CircleCI review by Patrick H.
Patrick H.

"Awesome CI tool which can easily be configured to fit needs of small to large scale projects."

What do you like best?

- Easy to get up and running with a basic configuration

- Lots of options to improve your configuration

- Possibility to SSH into build containers to debug issues

- Fair pricing

- Fast e-mail support

What do you dislike?

- Product roadmap could be more transparent. The switch to CCI2 was pretty well executed, but I'd love to get more involved in plans for new features, bugfixes etc. Some kind of Changelog would be nice.

- I sometimes feel like the responses on the discuss.io board are a bit lacking, but that's very subjective.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Spend some time figuring out how you can improve the workflow of one small project.

- Use the first config you created and think about how you can go further and which parts of your process could possibly be automated or made easier with CCI.

- Write the support team or join their discuss board if you have specific problems you can't solve on your own.

- Unit and UI Tests automatically run on every commit

- Building iOS and Android apps automatically on merges to specific branches, and in some cases auto-publishing to respective stores

- Automated Deployment of web applications

CircleCI review by Stanislav K.
Stanislav K.

"CircleCI was with us all the way"

What do you like best?

So far circleci has been following our company in everything we do. We based all our workflow around CI, there have been downtimes, there have been small technical issues to overcome - but in general, circleci has took a huge load out of our shoulders. Support has been provided by engineers, company is striving to improve it's product and doesn't stop on what they achieved. Thei CircleCI 2.0 version seems very promising already (and it's only Beta).

What do you dislike?

There are no major issues i can remember - we had some problems with environment variables not being stable to rely on. During platform switch some components have been turn-off by default and took a while to figure out. All those have been solved.

CircleCi has been an essential tool to improve quality of our products. We've been heavily reliant on automating everything we can - from testing, to code review to automated code analysis. We also managed to remove human factor from platform deployment and we gave away this responsibility to CircleCI.

CircleCI review by Anton v.
Anton v.

"Great tool for increased development productivity "

What do you like best?

The ability to parallelise different aspects of the build flow and increase build speed considerably especially for larger scale applications.

Additionally the ease of iterating the workflows by introducing minor changes and being able to test those quickly against specific branch build made it super easy for us to improve our build over time whilst using it.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to properly dislike! The general interface could do with some improvements to allow e.g. adding titles for containers that run specific build steps on the UI to make it easier for less technical users in the org to understand what's going on, but it's more of a small issue as opposed to something big.

Being able to standardise the build flow on CI including running test etc and linking that up to our Github pull requests made a whole suite of automated checks available that we didn't have before raising the level of product quality that we are able to deliver.

CircleCI review by Alexander S.
Alexander S.

"Level up your pipeline"

What do you like best?

CircleCi came to our rescue when Travis was blocking us at every turn. With the ability to use docker containers, schedule cron builds, and restore cache files; CircleCi became our best decision to date and shaved our build times in half

What do you dislike?

Our only dislike is the config.yml file. It can become very verbose. But it's not difficult to maintain, and it rarely changes after setup

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. Especially version 2.0. Our pipeline times have been cut in half and our workflows enhanced our continuous integration and continuous deployment. No longer to we have to trigger a database backup or merge our code into a staging branch. CircleCi was able to do it all!

CircleCi is the center of our development team. We use it to run all quality checks; build and deploy infrastructure all over the world; coordinate our staging code branch; and trigger backup procedures. We're yet to find something CircleCi can't do for us

CircleCI review by Guy E.
Guy E.

"Good for small to medium sized projects, not ideal for large projects with artifacts to deploy"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is easy to set-up. It typically automatically can detect the best way to run most types of projects -- both Ruby on Rails and Java.

What do you dislike?

CircleCI makes it difficult to get a comprehensive view of what tests are running vs. what tests have run on each branch or remote. Compared to other tools I've used -- like TeamCity -- It feels like you really have to go searching to understand what's happening with your builds. It's not easy to see in one place what builds are in the queue, what the success vs. failure trend has been over several builds, or even to understand what builds have run longer than others or why. In addition, CircleCI is not as flexible when it comes to dependencies between projects, or using CircleCI to perform automated deployments. Finally, my biggest concern is that CircleCI seems to perform slowly -- it feels very slow and clunky to go from screen to screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether you really need a cloud-based option, or if you would be fine with maintaining your own install. There are other options -- TeamCity, for example -- that are more robust and free for the same size projects that CircleCI is aimed at.

Almost all CI software gets more expensive when you need more build agents, and CircleCI is no exception. Consider the value you're getting when you add more agents on CircleCI vs spending a similar amount of money on other options that are more flexible that have the trade-off of requiring you to maintain your own install.

We wanted a way to run automated unit tests for all of our projects without having to maintain our own CI servers. CircleCI handles all the infrastructure so we don't have to.

CircleCI review by Evadne W.
Evadne W.

"Good Service"

What do you like best?

- Mainly speed and flexibility, in how the test platform can be configured to run the workload exactly as I wanted

- Support is actually very good and very technical, easily the best I have seen in a vendor

What do you dislike?

- It is not easy to test systems built against Ubuntu 16.04 (only Ubuntu 14.04 available out of the box)

- Sometimes tests are slow

- Containers are allocated evenly across projects in the organisation, so projects that have slow tests can simply steal containers away from projects that have fast tests, which is unfair.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest time properly to craft a proper CI workflow with CircleCI at the centre instead of treating it as a simple remote RSpec runner.

- We wanted a way to test every commit and not have to run our own Jenkins and babysit it

- We wanted testing run as fast as possible, notifications sent to chat rooms and so on

- So far CircleCI has solved these issues for us

- In addition the build parallelisation feature exposes issues in test ordering and is very good

CircleCI review by Ben M.
Ben M.

"A modern CI platform that just works"

What do you like best?

CircleCI offers simple YAML configuration that gets committed with the code repository, meaning we don't have to spend time visiting the CircleCI UI unless we actually want to check the dashboard. Circle integrates with everything, the most important of which for us is GitHub.

What do you dislike?

CircleCI can often feel a bit sluggish, even with a multi-concurrency plan. The issue isn't so much with concurrency as it is the time it takes to spin up a single instance, configure it, check out the code, run your tests, and then finally deploy. This process can easily take a couple of minutes or longer depending on the size of your code repository and the number of tests, but as long as you aren't waiting for each deployment in order to continue development then it should not be a real concern.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out all of the options and choose for yourself--I think it's easy to see the benefits of CircleCI in comparison with pretty much any other CI tool out there.

We are fully automating our testing and deployment process from our local development machines up to the production server thanks to CircleCI.

CircleCI review by Jacques K.
Jacques K.

"Get continuous integration working quickly."

What do you like best?

The ability to SSH into test machines is invaluable. This lets you figure out errors very quickly. It would be great to do this locally but SSH is nearly as good.

What do you dislike?

The documentation for 2.0 is sparse right now. Fortunately, the support staff is responsive. If something isn't clear it's quick to discuss with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's an initial learning curve to configuring the test, but CircleCI does a great job of trying to make it easy to debug by allowing you to SSH into the test boxes. This allows you to solve issues very quickly since you have an interactive session.

Mainly to have a single source of truth for the quality of a code base. We have also come to use it for automated deployments to some of our servers.

CircleCI review by Gustavo B.
Gustavo B.

"Great CI Tool"

What do you like best?

CircleCi is a great tool for beginners, simple configuration and easy to understand. In most cases you just create your account enable test and you have it running on your next commit

Great integration with Slack

I have manage to get CircleCI running with several rails project and extended to use simplecov for coverage reports, rubocop for code style analysis and Docker/kubernetes deploys

What do you dislike?

Sometimes configuration of special needs can be tricky, specially when you bring tools like Docker to the mix. Currently they are working on a new version with better Docker support

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using Docker is a bit more of work, but for simple projects is a great and simple tool

Is important to have a CI tool you don't need to worry about deploys if you set up your deploys phase and the team is always aware of the state of the build

Adding code analysis (styles, best practices and security) can improve your code review process

CircleCI review by Ben B.
Ben B.

"Great CI tool with good parallelization options"

What do you like best?

SSH access and wide parallelization of builds are by far the best features. We use 24x parallelization on our builds and it has made a huge difference in our day to day development efforts. Their file caching system is really good as well and very fast.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be a bit buggy at times, especially with large parallelization. You generally have to refresh the page to see any updates. The loading of logs can take a while. Both of these are cosmetic. We also find that at times of large usage of the overall system, i.e. Monday morning, the system can become unstable with tests due to longer test times (I think)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool, but quality has gone down for support and UI bugs. Definitely look in to seriously.

We are solving continuous build and integration. Hook Circle up to heroku to get passing master builds to staging is super nice. Our large and expansive set of tests help us catch things early and easily. Give us high confidence in deploying.

CircleCI review by Miguel M.
Miguel M.

"Needed to give feedback to my reviewers on the state of my test"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. You can analyse the state of your task with ease.

Very powerful configuration scripting through a very simple yaml file.

What do you dislike?

Had some problems reaching a configuration that worked for me.

It all came down to some inexperience with the type of machine that runs the jobs.

It would be great to have docker image that would boot a local machine where you could test run your setup.

Github won't let merge any code without passing the tests.

My reviewers have a quick assurance that all tests are passing or they have a look at what failed and make fun of me. :)

CircleCI review by Thijs K.
Thijs K.

"Just the right tool for the right price"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is versatile, easy to setup and integrates well with our existing cloud services like Github and Slack. The pricing is calculated "per parallel build", as opposed to "per project" - this allows us to include several small projects on the side as well, without breaking the bank. The ability to SSH into a machine is a nice bonus, it reduces the amount of time spent on tracking down errors.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike. Its versatility can be a bit overwhelming and it does affect the usability sometimes: some settings can be difficult to find.

CircleCI ensures our builds are tested, linted, and style-checked. This makes our review process more efficient and greatly simplifies the deployment procedures.

CircleCI review by User

"Our mobile CI"

What do you like best?

During our search for our new CI provider for primarily our iOS team, CircleCI came to our attention. Their models allow for highly concurrent builds and fast startup times, which is very important to us. Their support is fast and on point. The best thing is the launch of workflows which come with their 2.0. They enable a lot of complex builds.

What do you dislike?

They just released their 2.0 version and at the moment it lacks some features we really would like to see. But they are working hard on bringing these as fast as possible to the product.

We use CircleCI for our continuous integration and delivery of our mobile applications. In the past we only had 1 Jenkins jobs running and the developers had to wait a long time until their tests were run. With CircleCI they see the results within minutes.

CircleCI review by Paul H.
Paul H.

"Better than the rest"

What do you like best?

Circle integrates easily into github. Circle also allow us to split up our tests across 16 instances which saves us a lot of time. We don't have to worry about the details of CI, which allows my team to focus more on delivery.

What do you dislike?

There is often instability and its not always clear what the problems are. We often find that versions of things are updated without us knowing. Because we rely so heavily on circleci, when its down or has problems we are completely blocked.

We used to roll our own CI using Jenkins and we were not happy with having to deal with upgrades and maintenance of the CI. We no longer have to worry about the details.

We use CI for development and delivery. We deploy 20+ times a day (or as needed)... circle is the center of our continuous delivery.

CircleCI review by Rashad C.
Rashad C.

"Why you should use CircleCI"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you no longer have to worry about manually pushing out your builds to the Google Play Store and that with Continuous Deployment you can just sit back and watch this great product work.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike with CircleCI is when you have a PR that is being checked but then you push new changes to that same branch the first build needs to be completed before it can run the check with new changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not using CircleCI you need to implement it because you're wasting time!

We save tons of time with code review and avoiding code change issues by using CircleCI it's really a life saver especially when you have many people working on one code base.

CircleCI review by Anuoluwapo O.
Anuoluwapo O.

"Awesome Circle CI"

What do you like best?

Configuring is extremely easy. The first I configured circleci.yml, I didn't expect it but it was an easy one.

What do you dislike?

I should be able to indicate the sequence in which I want my tests to run

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend Circle CI to any team that wants Continuous Integration and ship application features faster. It is easy to use with less hassle. Fantastic user-interface and ease to use.

**Configuration**

Building features for software application without having to think if we are missing something out. The first time I had to use Circle CI 2.0, it was awesome. I had little or nothing to do in configuring CI for my application. It took less than 2 minutes to setup Circle CI for my application.

**Continuous Integration**

Continuous integration enables team to ship small features at a time. Circle CI supports this effectively. With CI we do not have to build big features before deploying to production. The good thing is all these process have been automated by the help of Circle CI. With Circle CI, we even run Acceptance test. The only thing we do on staging is to run QA. Once the application passes the QA test, it goes straight to production without delay and users are happy.

**User friendliness**

Circle CI has a fantastic User interface. Just that a new user might be lost at first. Maybe there should be a walkthrough for newly logged in user but when you are used to the interface, it is very easy to use. Also if I am logged in and visits the home page, I shouldn't see a login link, although it automatically logs you in when you click the logged in link.

CircleCI review by Carlos C.
Carlos C.

"Best continuous integration platform ever"

What do you like best?

The improvements on Cicle CI 2.0 lowered our build times by half and the workflow approach allows us to save even more time when rebuilding since the tests phase of an specific commit don't re-run, that's awesome!

What do you dislike?

Actually nothing I like it a lot maybe the overall build time can be improved

Recommendations to others considering the product

The platform has been live long enough and constantly improving, that gives confidence in its "knowhow" the price is ok compared to other alternatives vs the benefit, 100% recommended

Using Circle CI we build our docker images, run tests and linters and if everything is ok, the deploy is executed on specific environment as needed, the slack notifications are very useful for tracking the progress

CircleCI review by James R.
James R.

"Fast, reliable, and highly configurable CI system"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is an absolute breeze to work with, and can be configured to work for pretty much any project with as little as a few lines of config. It's native docker support is an incredible asset for our team.

What do you dislike?

Docker layer caching is a paid additional feature, which we really feel should be included with any paid plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CircleCI's documentation is generally really great, and with the release of 2.0, their platform is better than ever.

The release of CircleCI 2.0 was incredible for our team's productivity. We halved our build times, and were pushing more and more frequently.

CircleCI review by Administrator

"CircleCI is what CI should be"

What do you like best?

Workflows and how easy it is to parallelize build jobs. I didn't have to ask devops to set up anything!

What do you dislike?

We have services behind a VPN that public CircleCI cannot access. This is likely solved by CircleCI Enterprise but so far I haven't been able to get Devops to set this up for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hook it up to one of your open source projects and try it for free. It really is great! Take the time to understand how to use workflows. It might sound complicated but it is not complicated at all. It really is great!

We would like to run our CI test jobs in a very parallelized environment. We also realized that we can run all kinds of useful scripts that analyze our pull requests and interact through GitHub's API.

CircleCI review by Dillon W.
Dillon W.

"Hard to setup and goes down a lot"

What do you like best?

The automatic pairing with Github is really slick, especially as I add more repos over time.

What do you dislike?

It's super complicated to setup anything more than a default build, especially with the new 2.0 configuration. There also seems to be a ton of downtime or partial outages, and no compensation is given when this happens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to build against multiple versions of a library/language (such as Ruby), TravisCI might be better for you.

We are solving a need for Continuous Integration. As other parts of our process come into place later this year we hope to also use it for Continuous Delivery. The main benefit is that we have an automated ability to have our tests execute on each push to Github and see test results within Github PRs for easy review.

CircleCI review by Ran M.
Ran M.

"I am a lead technologist in Applicaster, dealing with multiple platforms and technologies in the day"

What do you like best?

it is faster in comparison to others that I tried and it gives solutions form all our platforms usage - Rails. NodeJS, Android and iOS.

After you get to understand the system it works very well.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the support. It usually takes a lot of time to get a response, and most of the times the answers are not helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is a reliable system but if you are stuck and need immediate support it is a problem.

It is easy to use after you get the hang of it. When you understand the way it works the configuration is sufficient.

It is hard to debug locally but it has a ssh debugging which help solving problems

We are providing solutions for Tv broadcasters. We provide backend CMS and mobile apps for our customers.

CircleCI review by Roelof B.
Roelof B.

"Great product, fast and easy to use"

What do you like best?

- Quick response from CircleCI when asking questions or seeking help

- Deep Docker integration, really fast builds with predictable results because of the ability to use your own build containers. Building Docker images with CircleCI is OK, needs some work.

- Deployments are nicely embedded in the product, and give all the room to customise to exactly what you need.

- Clean UI. It is quite quick, and is workable on mobile.

- Integration with Github

What do you dislike?

- Inability to edit environment variables in project settings, delete and re-add with new values is a painstakingly slow process. Improving this part of the product will greatly enhance it!

- Random timeouts during building Docker images, the remote Docker engine does not feel quite robust yet.

- The CLI feels a bit underdeveloped. Having a local build that emulates CircleCI really well would be invaluable to keep the builds green.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Start with a working local build in a Docker container, publish that and use it in the CircleCI builds.

- Fully automated deployment of new versions of our product by building, publishing and deploying Docker containers easily.

CircleCI review by Jesus Adolfo R.
Jesus Adolfo R.

"Really good but some things could improve"

What do you like best?

First, parallel builds, second the support from the CircleCI team has been pretty good and the tool itself has a very nice user interface.

What do you dislike?

The way the failing tests are shown is not that nice. We would like to have a nicer breakdown of the tests so it would be much easier to find. At the moment we have to go through the log or search the word "failing" to find out what is wrong. I really hope this changes later on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, I think the tool can be improved but I am optimistic about its future. I hope they listen to users and keep improving.

One big problem with had before with another CI was the unavailability of parallel builds that was one of the main reasons our team decided to move to CircleCI

CircleCI review by Eric P.
Eric P.

"Easy, simple, powerful. Yet sometimes black magic to make edge cases work."

What do you like best?

Love that I don't run infrastructure. Love that it integrates nicely with Github. Really like the pricing structure, i.e not per project but per parrallel build...

What do you dislike?

Need to do a lot of googling around to figure out things. The way it "inspects" your code to figure out build steps means that it's a bit like Rails, there is some magic going on!

We are able to package and deploy every successful commit taht passes CI into our containerized environment for Quepid.com. It lets us provide a simple URL to our team (QA, product management, interested parties) so they can see in isolation every change made by every commit! https://github.com/o19s/grand_central

CircleCI review by Cyril M.
Cyril M.

"Clean and simple"

What do you like best?

Works simply. With a simple file you can configure your CI and all works fine. The free plan is really great and helpful. We can start to use circle-ci without any cost and solve a lot of problem in start. With time if we grow we can start payment and the insight get with payment are usefull

What do you dislike?

the docker support is medium. We need add some trick to work with it. I rewrite almost all step to works fine and be sure my docker is well test.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it. It's simple and works like a charm. The free plan is really great to start without cost.

I know if my build is green or not. All is automatic. I can deploy in security

CircleCI review by Sara R.
Sara R.

"The developer of the initial landing"

What do you like best?

This service is directly integrated with GitHub, the developer of the initial landing, CircleCI will scan its application in GitHub containers. After a simple installation process, if you need to guide the developer on how to compile and deploy. Every time the preparation of the code, CircleCI will automatically compile the application, automatic test, if the user is using a similar TestFlight tools, CircleCI will automatically apply the deployment. CircleCI was founded by Biggar Paul and Rohner Allen. Biggar received a PhD in computer science and worked at Mozilla.

What do you dislike?

Simply say. In the first machine node, I specify the JDK version of JDK Oracle 8 (the default is OpenJDK 7). Then added a ANDROID_HOME of the environmental variables point to the location of the SDK Android (TMD, since you are in the document have said SDK Android in this path, it does not give me a good environment variable).

Dependencies node, if it recognizes that you are a Gradle project, by default it is just dependencies gradle. So the result is obvious - at least to put the SDK Build-tools Android installed on it XD

Yes, its own version of Gradle is 1.10, a little old. And habits we should use their wrapper to run the (Travis Ci at this point is very good, if the judge to the wrapper./gradlew will use your project to run, and is not a system gradle command).

CircleCI review by Terrence L.
Terrence L.

"CircleCI has a clean UI that presents information a concise manner."

What do you like best?

The best part of the tool in the presentation of the build queue. Information is easy to see at a glance, leading to quick resolutions. CiricleCI also has amazing uptime.

What do you dislike?

The tool is packed with useful features, but not all of these features are explained. Greater integration into the workflow would make me feel like I utilizing the tool to the fullest.

CircleCI manages the builds for our applications. It provides comfort and a single point of reference on the status of our builds.

CircleCI review by David L.
David L.

"Engineering lead on an open source project using CircleCI"

What do you like best?

I don't have to host it and it's free for open source projects. For a relatively simple (dependency-wise) Go project with a good suite of unit tests, it was easy to get running, integrated with GitHub to ensure every PR was passing our unit tests. Once it's all configured it's great, it just works.

What do you dislike?

YAML configuration files are kind of a pain. The available database services seem to be targeting a cross section of technologies and outside of the old school core RDBs (MySQL, PostgreSQL), hit a mix of highly used, and kind of esoteric options (do they have a lot of Neo4j or Riak users?). It would be nice to see a few more options available (we have a RethinkDB integration, hint, hint...) because I'm not going to pick my services because the CI system supports it, I'm going to pick a CI system because it supports my services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're test and build environments are relatively straightforward, it's a good tool. However other solutions are easier to work with as your setup becomes increasingly complex.

Automating test runs against all submitted PRs. We later added a CodeCov integration and we submit coverage analysis from CircleCI over to CodeCov. That visibility helped us raise our test coverage from ~55% to ~75% over about 3 months, all through small, less than 1%, bumps in coverage with each PR merged to master.

CircleCI review by Bharat S.
Bharat S.

"Nice CI with good docker support"

What do you like best?

CircleCI really impresses me with a few things -

1. Build on Linux + OSX + Android - CircleCI is the most cross-platform hosted CI server that I've ever seen - it currently supports Linux and OSX, alongwith app builds for Android and IOS. I really love the fact that they dont play favourites with their service, it wants to support all popular platforms that developers want. Moneywise, I think this is good as I only have to pay once for all the services. Even though it seems to be priced at the higher end, because I take advantage of most of the platforms it supports, I think its worth it for me.

2. Auto-parallelisation - This is another great feature that I miss on other platforms - what CircleCI does is that it automatically splits your commands into separate batches and runs them in parallel to speed up the whole process. And circle does deliver on its speed promises.

3. Integration with services like Heroku + Coveralls + Sauce labs - CircleCI has loads of useful integrations with some lesser popular services like Sauce Labs and Coveralls and as I said, they are important to cover all aspects of your good coding practises like Code quality and Multi-browser testing for webapps.

4. Docker support - Docker is the rising star of testing in the last few years and CircleCI does a decent job of enabling developers to take advantage of it. Dev-test-production equivalence on docker means that you dont need to worry about developer builds/machines having different configuration than production. The whole environment is created every time on demand from docker images, so there is no chance of dirtying your production system. Also, all public and private Docker registry is supported via simple Docker push and Docker pull commands.

5. Community preview (beta) - CircleCi has a good outreach program for their active users, where they basically send emails or show notifications in the sidebar about their new developments and urge you to try it out. Good thing is they know that because it is a beta thing, stuff may break and assign a Customer support to you pro-actively, in case you may need some help with rollback or want to provide feedback.

What do you dislike?

I really dont have too much to complain against them, but still here are the little problems I have faced over time -

1. Build matrix for multiple builds is not supported like in Travis or Appveyor - it is really needed for testing many combination of environments to make sure all permutations are checked. You can still hand code all the options, but it doesnt seem like a good use of time for developers.

2. After subscribing to their beta preview, they upgraded their OS image for my account and a lot of things were changed in the new image, essentially making multiple language version configurations very tedious. That broke my tests and they couldnt offer immediate solution to it after describing to them, only they promised to report it to their developers in turn. It was not a big problem though, as they rolled back my account to normal OS image after reporting about this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hosted CI seems to be the flavour of the year, so there is a lot of good options and the competition is only rising. You should definitely do your trial with a few of these before you finally decide on the optimal one. Only I would suggest that CircleCI is one of the good ones in the sea of CI services and worth trying out.

In my day job, we use it for testing docker-based projects for our client support.

Its docker-support is pretty top-notch and very fast compared to other options we have tried. Although it is new to the scene, it seems quite rock stable in our daily use, which is why we decided to use it exclusively for some projects.

CircleCI review by Austin R.
Austin R.

"Deploying Docker Containers and Open Source Products"

What do you like best?

I liked that it make testing docker containers super easy. It took about 2-3 minutes to set up and was extremely easy to add other people to use. I currently use it for all my open source products for continuous integration over Travis CI which makes things a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

It had 1 major outage which affected my production deploys for a day. I do not have any other complaints besides that one day but they sent free swag to make up for it and were awesome about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It only works with Github so be conscious about that if you have to support Stash or anything else.

We needed a better way to solve CI testing and deploys. We were using Codeship but they had not released docker support at the time which has currently changed. We needed something that supported docker easily and not docker as well. It integrated with Github nicely and made things super easy for me to set up for the team.

CircleCI review by User in Internet

"An effective, if clunky, CI"

What do you like best?

Once it's set up, you can just let it run without having to think about it. If any of your builds do fail, it offers a lot of tools to examine what exactly failed and replicate the failure. It's really easy to see if something failed so you can fix it quickly.

What do you dislike?

CircleCI's interface is incredibly obtuse at times. Various settings are scattered on different pages and there are sometimes arcane requirements to unlock features that makes onboarding new developers a hassle. (To their credit, though, their support team is fantastic.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the documentation. There is an incredible amount you can do that isn't apparent from daily use.

We use CircleCI almost exclusively as an automatic testing tool. I believe it also automates deployment, but we do not use that feature.

CircleCI review by Abhas B.
Abhas B.

"Lesser-known CI server with debug via SSH and dependency cache"

What do you like best?

Things that I like arranged sorted by usefulness -

1. * Debug via SSH * - This is pretty much the best feature it has, where you can actively debug your builds when there is a error instead of just failing. As the tests are run on their containers, it gives you full access to the container. No other popular CI server that I know of, like Travis, Appveyor have this kind of feature - most of them only provide read-only log of all builds, they are your only way of understanding which things went wrong in the CI build.

2. Build on Linux + OSX => Most of its competitors like Appveyor and Travis are stuck with only supporting one main platform for building your code and I have been always searching for a good cross-platform solution which works on all 3 major platforms. Although it doesnt meet that standard, OSX support is the missing piece of puzzle as none others actively support OSX right now (Travis are working on it). So, providing Linux+OSX testing makes sure that atleast it works on the major unix-based machines

3. Dependency Cache.- Automagically, the dependency files downloaded in the dependency install step are cached in a system and re-used in the next run. It really speeds up the process.

4. Artifacts with logs - Artifacts are the files you can prepare from the CI server as a output of the build process. they can be used for build purpose as well as logging purpose if you like to deal with log files. It can also be useful for external deployment where you take that file and deploy it yourself.

What do you dislike?

Things are generally seem a bit hard to setup if you are coming from something like Travis CI. It doesnt allow multiple test configurations or test matrix creation natively and this is definitely the biggest thing that I miss in Circle Ci. Other smaller dislikings, in no such order are -

1. Oddly arranged UI - I sometimes cant find the stuff where I expect them to be and they are either shown using not understandable icons or small text. For eg, when you try to import a project from Github, forked repos are not shown and the only way to show them is by checking a "Show forks" option which is not well highlighted and I first thought it cant even show the forks or it is a bug, as forked repos are so common. Also, similarly the "add repos" button is on the side, but oddly not on the top where you expect them but the third one, with a not so understandable icon.

2. Unstable relative to Travis CI and sometimes weird bugs popup regarding 3rd party integrations. To its benefit, it has good open bug tracker in place.

3. No pre-installed python interpreters, atleast not named in default configuration - so you might have to write another config file for it, which is usually OK but hard to maintain when you are dealing with another CI too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Currently, there are 3 popular CI in the market

1. Travis CI

2. Appveyor

3. Circle CI

Circle CI is the least known, but the most-featured, almost the same as Appveyor but both serve mutually exclusive platform, so there is need to use both. Travis clearly falls behind Circle CI in this matter, but has a lot of visibility and is simple to use for starters - so Travis is the leading CI server right now. But I can give you my words, Circle is so much more powerful if you give it a spin.

Problem - Testing internal python modules on different OS and compiling them into system-specific platform packages. Because there is no single CI which supports all platforms, we needed to pair it up with a windows-supported CI like appveyor.

Benefits - For supporting linux, we first tried out Travis CI and was happy with it. Then came along Circle CI, which is not as popular as Travis but really has a lot of features (mentioned first) and supports both Linux + OSX with containers. It was a win-win for us because we could test on OSX too now, which Travis doesnt support right now. Setup was easy, but we still needed to setup python interpreters on it with custom circle.yml file. After that, everything went smooth and build got triggered properly and ran pretty fast due to awesome caching - even faster than Travis.

In short, it worked great and we really understood how much more any other CI could offer, just by trying out Circle CI. They do have a lofty vision for CI.

CircleCI review by Jacob A.
Jacob A.

"Circle Works well"

What do you like best?

It makes CI easy and seamless for common platforms

What do you dislike?

Some less common utilities don't work as well. We've had performance issues where tests failed for no reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely consider using Circle if you are using common platform such as GitHub and Heroku for code versioning and deployment. The less mainstream and unique your deployment situation the less well Circle will work out for you.

We're solving the problem of continuous integration and continuous delivery. We found that using this method to software deployment greatly increases our productivity by closing the feedback loop.

CircleCI review by Julien S.
Julien S.

"Fast deployment for all DEV"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure for multiple projects. Circle allow to run tests (unit and functional) on every push.

What do you dislike?

On Free plan sometime the queue can be long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Free plan let you try and discover the platform even with private repo

We use Circle to test and deploy all branches on dev which provide an easy way to check if the development do what we want.

All teams can now test their request before production

CircleCI review by Noah S.
Noah S.

"I love CI about as much as Circle does"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of configuration is unparalleled. We use CI on new projects day one.

What do you dislike?

Lack of tools for multi project repos. We would love to keep our front and back-end code together in one repo while splitting the CI for them. So, it'd be great if we could run two builds separately based on the same repo.

Lots of them. We run all our projects through CI and deploy from Circle as well. It's definitely simplified the way we operate.

CircleCI review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Solid product, decent support"

What do you like best?

CircleCI does what it says, 99% of the time. I mean that in the best way possible. Testing is a tough business with a lot of things prone to go wrong either in the software or the infrastructure supporting the software. While we do occasionally get a false negative, our overall experience with CircleCI is very positive.

We've contacted their support on several occasions, they've been prompt and helpful. Their user forum is also active and useful.

What do you dislike?

The false negatives we get on occasion. But not very often.

Ensure that our code base do not go sideways with respect to our test suites.

CircleCI review by Jake M.
Jake M.

"Beautiful UI for Automated Unit Testing"

What do you like best?

The UI is beautiful and the documentation is really good. Just config a yml file, push to git, and your tests start running!

What do you dislike?

Their containers are a bit out of date running older version of Ubuntu for example, but they are quickly fixing this!

Recommendations to others considering the product

CircleCI is a great tool to run automated tests and keep the entire team up to date on the build status. I would recommend it for anyone running PHP or NodeJS. Integration is really easy. If you're running Docker (like us) it's possible but requires a lot of setup.

CircleCi lets us visualize our automated testing in a way we couldn't previously. It saves our development team tons of time and lets us deploy faster.

CircleCI review by Juan Ignacio D.
Juan Ignacio D.

"It works fine, i miss a nicer UI."

What do you like best?

I like the configuration options. They fit nicely mi way of thinking.

I like just so much the inference engine. Sometimes I would like to be able to get rid of it.

I like the github integration where users don't have to create a CircleCi specific account, and they just login with their github user.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I would like to be able to totally disable the configuration inference.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better support for building through docker, I miss docker images caching between builds.

We work with several concurrent projects, and making sure that every single commit and PR is being tested is super helpful.

CircleCI review by Jeremy S.
Jeremy S.

"Convenient & debuggable"

What do you like best?

CircleCI makes it possible to connect to your CI instance and debug anything that went wrong, which is oodles faster (and makes less of a mess in git) than trial-and-error.

What do you dislike?

It's still remotely hosted CI on shared infrastructure, so you're at their mercy to roll out system changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a whirl. Push as much config as you can out of any CI-specific config file, though - shell scripts are your friend.

CircleCI is easy to configure for CI and debug when it goes wrong.

CircleCI review by Vitaly P.
Vitaly P.

"Very well implemented continuous integration solution."

What do you like best?

I really like ease of setup and using CircleCI.

They have recently changed the design and I find it's UI very well thought through: all the build statuses and important information are available from the builds index page while any additional information is available on an according build page.

Maybe it's just my preferences but I think such services as CircleCI benefit a lot from being a SPA. I would hate to wait for page reloads while navigating through the builds.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, I encounter problems related to outdated cache and I have to rebuild a build manually.

I am not sure if it's my app setup or CircleCI issue, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should consider using it. Primarily because of the great user interface and ease of use.

We have 5 developers and a lot of unit tests. It's really useful to have the tests run for different brunches and deploying our servers on merge to master/staging hooks.

CircleCI review by Micah H.
Micah H.

"A great hosted CI service"

What do you like best?

There are a lot of things to like about Circle CI.

• It is very easy to set up, you can even set it up without a configuration file and it will try to infer your test runner and language.

• It is easy to configure with a straight-forward YAML configuration.

• It has great integration with services like Github and Slack.

• You can easily debug broken builds by SSH-ing into the test container and quickly figure out what is going wrong

• There is no configuration difference for public or private repositories, CircleCi appropriately mirrors Github

• The pricing allows for unlimited repositories, the tiers are based on parallel builds. This is great if you have a lot of private repos.

What do you dislike?

I really wish CircleCI had the ability to have a build matrix (like TravisCI), for example, run my python tests against all four combinations of Python 2 and 3, and say Django 1.8 and 1.9.

Support is generally pretty good, but can be hit or miss on timing. We've had quick responses, and other times waited multiple days for a response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check out other providers, but for private projects we have been very happy with CircleCI.

We initially implemented it for automated testing of all our private repositories, and have been overall very happy with it. We looked at using it for our Open Source projects, but due to the fact that it doesn't support build matrices, we ended up going with TravisCI for public projects.

CircleCI review by Lowell B.
Lowell B.

"The Best CI I've Used"

What do you like best?

- CircleCI team is quick to add features / resolve issues

- Great Docker support

What do you dislike?

- 2.0 feel incomplete / unstable (Currently down at the time of writing)

- Poor Slack integration

- UI could be better

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Support is limited to support forums even if you are a paying customer

-Plenty of features, not all of them work well

We use Docker and Circle CI to:

- Run Unit / Integration Tests

- Build docker images

- Deploy to AWS

CircleCI review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"CI For Any Project"

What do you like best?

- Easy to set up - can get a basic deployment up and running in minutes, or extend CircleCI's features to support large, dynamic deploys.

- Beautiful, rich user interface. Easy to navigate and configure. I feel like a lot of times I spend more time navigating a website to do basic configurations than I do using the product. This is not the case with Circle.

- Friendly support staff with great built in support feature to get responses fast from people who know.

- Detailed logs

- Multiple code insertion points (pre-test, post-test, etc.)

What do you dislike?

- SSH deploys are very basic - shell behaves erratically during complex SSH deploys

- SSH sometimes hangs up or does not properly indicate failure

- Basically, SSH deploys could be greatly improved. Workaround now is to build the deploy script on the server and use Circle to launch a single command - however, error handling suffers here as a result. Would be great to be able to establish an SSH session to deploy.

I've used Circle to deploy Django APIs and an angular front end being built with Grunt automatically using GitHub webhooks. It took me a few hours to get the original configuration working smoothly, but since then I have rarely even had to open CircleCI and have just waited two minutes after a push to GitHub to check, and the changes are fully deployed on the target server.

CircleCI review by Executive Sponsor in Human Resources
Executive Sponsor in Human Resources

"Works great for small sized team of up to 25 engineers"

What do you like best?

Basically the easiest thing to get started on, aside from Travis.

The iOS testing ability is great too.

Pricing is clear, and dynamic, you can change containers up and down every hour.

Performance is good, if you know how to parallelize and script things.

Artifact retention is great.

Awesome github integration.

What do you dislike?

Had some real downtimes over the last 16 months, pretty disappointed when the dev team got stuck.

Random flakiness with the container dying for no reason, had to manually rebuild.

Paralleilization infrastructure is not great compared to TravisCI, it locks containers into stages and doesn't work like a fluid work queue.

Lack of matrix build support means it can't support large scale projects.

Trying to keep our engineering team productive and shipping code quickly.

Easy to get started and flexible enough.

CircleCI review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Great and getting better!"

What do you like best?

I like how quick the hooks are! v2's new DSL is a lot easier to use too

What do you dislike?

It is hard to iterate on CI, so it can be difficult to set up a complicated job. Once it works, it's fine though. Build caching doesn't seem to work very well for us, so build times are bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are improving very fast!

Running large test suites is the main benefit. We hope to create Docker containers with a pipeline next.

CircleCI review by Ashim S.
Ashim S.

"Good experience using CircleCI Performance Plan"

What do you like best?

- Integration with GitHub

- Flexibility to run custom docker containers

- Secret Management in CircleCI Environment

- Concept of Workflow with ability to run jobs in parallel

- Dependency between job trigger

- Effective communication medium for CircleCI Health Status

What do you dislike?

- On occasions during restore cache process, untar operation is killed

- Cache store and restore of anything exceeding 1G takes several minutes

- Latency of loading custom docker image from AWS ECR repo seems high, image size of 500MB have taken 2 minutes at times

- CI / CD

- SDLC

CircleCI review by Greg R.
Greg R.

"Easy to get started, easy to add to your pipeline! Love it!"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to add continuous integration to your project. If you can write a simple shell script, you can add CI, which is awesome. When you are working on a small agile team, the learning curve of a heavy build tool can be a big burden. CircleCI makes it really easy to get going and keep improving your pipeline.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options for the performance. Sometimes it's easier to throw "hardware" at the problem.

We are able to quickly build all our development branches and create artifacts for deployment.

CircleCI review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Really easy to use CI server"

What do you like best?

It was super simple to create my circle.yml file and check it into my repo. I had tried using Bamboo and couldn't figure it out. Everything runs smoothly and quickly.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything specific to complain about. The tool is very straightforward and I haven't had any issues with it. I was grandfathered in and only pay $19/month for two containers. I think $50/month is pricey for that (the current pricing) but it's free for one container.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot with the free container. I found that their documentation was really good and when I had questions their support helped me out very quickly.

We have a SaaS application built with PHP. CircleCI checks all our unit tests and if they pass on our staging or production branches it also handles deployment. Really nice to not have to do that manually.

CircleCI review by User in Internet

"Fully-featured product with awesome UI/UX"

What do you like best?

I really love CircleCI's UI / UX. Being able to see builds spin up and run in real-time is perfect. I find everything very intuitive and useful. Whenever builds fail, I can very quickly find the problem and re-run the build. My favorite feature is begin able to SSH into the machine which has come in handy for some very tough to track down build failures.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to core features, there's really nothing I dislike. CircleCI does a great job of providing an elegant, well-thought out product. Everything they do, they do well. So to find what I dislike, you basically have to look at what they don't do. The top thing on my list is Selenium support. We've gotten it to work in CircleCI but it's hasn't been easy. I feel like there's probably something they could do to improve Selenium support although it's probably not easy. But that would certainly bring them to the next level in my mind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CircleCI is the only solution I've tried in this space, but they do a great job. They've had one or two outages in my time with them, but they've addressed and resolved those outages very quickly and professionally. Their pricing is very fair and easy to try out before you need to commit to a large contract or anything so there's definitely no reason not to try them!

They allowed us to implement Continuous Integration / Deployment and automated testing *very* quickly. It really has made that process so fun and easy that I've never had to convince anyone on my team why that might be a good idea. We've vastly improved our reliability. No longer are buggy builds getting pushed to live. Definitely a vital part of our process now.

CircleCI review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"CI SaaS done right"

What do you like best?

My three favorite features of CircleCI are the clean user interface, the ease of setting up parallelism, and the ease of configuration of builds. All three of these combined make CircleCI an experience that keeps me happy with their product.

What do you dislike?

We would strongly like the ability for CircleCI to do our full continuous deployment, but we run our stack in a VPC at AWS, so this is not an option right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give their free trial a spin, but I don't doubt you will be extremely pleased. Make sure to try out all aspects, not just test running / build automation, but also delve into making your own configuration file and triggering tasks based on build events. This will give you the full experience and a good idea of the effort required for setup within your organization. Don't just take my word for it.

We are solving for build automation, and have reaped this benefit tenfold. Our builds run faster and more stable than they ever did locally. We also trigger tasks like static code analysis and test coverage metrics upon build completion, which is an awesome thing to have automated.

CircleCI review by Ludovic V.
Ludovic V.

"Moving from jenkins to circleci is the best thing we done"

What do you like best?

- Declarative configuration

- Container everywhere

- Speed

What do you dislike?

- Some features only available by contacting the team

- Pricing scheme not clear, performance plan only available by contacting the team

Managing jenkins was becoming more and more difficult. Moving to a managed, performant solution allowed us to spend less time maintaining and debugging and more time on improving our developers productivity

CircleCI review by Leandro F.
Leandro F.

"The easyiest experience with CI"

What do you like best?

How it was easy to configure and keep running and the cost

What do you dislike?

I think it's a little slow and that forces you to buy more containers

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that for low volume it can be cheap, but as your need grow it will become very expensive.

Continuous integration across my team and testing

CircleCI review by Samuel C.
Samuel C.

"Long standing customer, CircleCI is good but we have had some problems"

What do you like best?

Much better value than travis. At some points we've had great support.

Docker integration is good.

What do you dislike?

* UI is (and has been for ages) very ugly

* doesn't work well on m

* ansi highlighting and new line control breaks for large outputs

* mad that they don't charge per build

CI for SAAS product.

CircleCI review by Travis H.
Travis H.

"Critical component of our development pipeline"

What do you like best?

Really easy to configure and start using

What do you dislike?

removal of the 'rebuild without cache' button

Automated testing for all branches and pull requests. Passing CircleCI builds is a required step before code written by any developer can be merged into our codebase. Using CircleCI has saved us from a countless number of bugs and mistakes--it's our engineering team's primary safety net.

CircleCI review by Alon N.
Alon N.

"Great hosted CI service, my usual choice for github/bitbucket project CI integration"

What do you like best?

Declarative configuration format, the 2.0 workflows is a good build abstractions. Supports bitbucket. and the ability to ssh to debug build is a HUGE win

What do you dislike?

No support for private gitlab/codecommit integration

Docs for circleci 2.0 are still lacking, especially detailing built in images for services

Running tests on every push is a must in a modern software project

CircleCI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"CircleCI a Novice Experience Review"

What do you like best?

The fact that tests are automatically found without me having to set anything up is an amazing feature that I've been looking for in CI for quite some time.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I dislike. The documentation is a bit confusing for a novice with little no experience using the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start off slow, there's no need to feel in a rush with CircleCI as many of the pit-holes normally faced when integrating some form of CI into your project are easily conquered through CircleCI's generous handholding.

Primarily, the efficiency of starting and setting up a new project is the greatest benefit from CircleCI.

CircleCI review by Carlos C.
Carlos C.

"Solved all of our needs!"

What do you like best?

Easy of use, UI, supports all of our platforms: Back end with docker deploy, front end, Mobile.

What do you dislike?

It was hard to get a decent Slack integration. Support could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to evaluate it.

With CircleCI we were able to unify the continuous integration process of all of our apps.

CircleCI review by Emiliano V.
Emiliano V.

"Excellent Service"

What do you like best?

I like simplicity and how can I monitor multiple deploys at the same time. We have a microservice architecture so a lot of things going on a the same time.

What do you dislike?

- Some builds take too much time to run (iOS)

- Sometimes I need to manually rebuild without cache to avoid errors

- A very organized deploy system for our microservices giving us speed and convenience.

CircleCI review by Yaroslav T.
Yaroslav T.

"CircleCI is a huge help to quickly bootstrap any project with Continuous Integration"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is able to configure build automatically for most popular stacks like Java, Python, Node.js, etc.

At the same time, custom configuration can be added easily any time.

What do you dislike?

Docker support isn't great, but they're trying to fix it with CircleCI 2.0 (currently in beta).

Outages happen (but rarely) and it's really hard to understand why some of the builds are suddenly slow.

- Iteration speed

- Time to ship a single feature

- Continuous Integration / Delivery

CircleCI review by Gaurav S.
Gaurav S.

"Circel Ci is easy to integrate and use with cool UI/UX"

What do you like best?

Circle Ci is easy to use, integrate and have cool UI.

I mostly love all the feature of it.

It also provide 1 free container that is good for open source project. Open source project owner can be use this Circle Ci integration tool easily.

What do you dislike?

Some times it's take a lot of time for test a build, i think it can make faster.

Continuous Integration for the product and Apps are easy to achieve with circle ci.

[Ci skip] is also supported by circle Ci so if we don't want to run CI for documentation releated code then it's make easy to use.

CircleCI review by User in Higher Education

"Circle CI is topnotch!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of adding circle CI to a project on github. It's really easy. Also the interface is very clean intuitive and tidy. You can easily look through build histories and easily navigate between projects.

What do you dislike?

What I currently dislike is that it doesn't support all android sdk's right out of the box. So if you're using the latest android sdk you'll have to modify you're circle configuration file to get it to work.

I been able to catch bugs that I wouldn't have been able to have guessed even llr existed, like one of my projects compilef of my machine fine but only because I had the dependencies installed from another project, I wouldn't have been able to catch that if not for Circle CI. What I've bennefited the most is the fact that I can be rest assured that regardless of who recently made changes I can be assured that I know whether their build passed the test cases aND other people can tell too with the circle CI badges

CircleCI review by User in Internet

"Nearly complete solution for Continuous Integration"

What do you like best?

1. Easy to setup for developers

2. Ability to spin up different repos efficiently

What do you dislike?

1. Lack of integrations with different hosted git repository options

2. Containerization of processes is a bit clunky and depends too much on the AWS infrastructure being up or down

3. Ability to parallelize should be docker or container based - not VM based.

My team needed a solution that allowed it to spin up a continuous integration process without the headache of setting up and maintain different CI Solutions. CircleCI has filled this gap fairly well.

Unfortunately, it's great for smaller teams and I can't see it scaling to enterprise-level support or needs as the cost would be completely prohibitive.

CircleCI review by Alec B.
Alec B.

"Feature heavy system which is a joy to use"

What do you like best?

Love that I can get a one-off project up and running in minutes but can also extend it to work with complicated builds.

What do you dislike?

Support surrounding Docker is lacking a bit but I see a 2.0 release where that is focused more coming up soon.

Having a tight CI build is critical for the startup I work for. Having a fast and easy-to-understand CI system makes it easy for us to have confidence in our software deployment process.

CircleCI review by Daniela S.
Daniela S.

"Easy to use and setup, UI could be improved"

What do you like best?

Super easy to setup and love the automatic integration with the most common services -- in particular the docker integration and the opportunity of having pre-installed tools like postgres.

I LOVE the ability of ssh on the machine to debug.

What do you dislike?

The UI is a bit confusing, it took me a while to get used to it.

My main issue is that I don't have a overall visual of what is left to do, so I have to "remember" the steps that will help in the future -- and this doesn't help when estimating when the pipeline is going to end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super easy to setup -- it will literally going to take you 5 minutes

Easy deployment and releases

CircleCI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Super simple automation with an easy overview"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can keep track of what's going on in real-time, be it build order or unit tests. This means I don't necessarily have to wait for the complete build before fixing potential issues and redeploying.

What do you dislike?

For someone who recently started using CircleCI, the learning curve feels a bit steep initially.

Having a central place where we can see a complete build from scratch ensures that we can deploy without worries that a local interference might've caused our tests to pass when they shouldn't.

CircleCI review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Pretty darn good. "

What do you like best?

CircleCI let's you focus on development and getting things done. It's not another responsibility and it allows you to use your time more wisely (coding rather than baby sitting builds)

What do you dislike?

The UI needs work. During builds we get a bunch of logs spit out and it takes forever to scroll down and follow along with the logs. This is seriously annoying and the behaviour doesn't seem consistent. Some initial set up also isn't all that simple, but once you get it going it's not really a big deal.

It helps you and your team focus on writing code and building features, compared to other CI solutions circle isn't another responsibility. Once it's set up it usually does its thing and it does it well. It's become invaluable.

CircleCI review by David B.
David B.

"Refreshing alternative to Travis"

What do you like best?

Easy to get up and running. Has sensible defaults (unlike travis) eg if your project contains a package.json it will run npm install and cache node_module. Both of these require manual configuration in Travis. I've found the documentation excellent so far. The first CI product I've used that just works out the box in an intuitive way. Free plan supports private repos which is a big advantage over travis. Much more competitive pricing (again, compared to travis).

What do you dislike?

Auto configuration isn't working perfectly yet. Eg doesn't read the node version from package.json engines and the default version is very old (0.10.x).

Not as many service addons as travis (eg mysql)

Quick, reliable deployments

CircleCI review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Extremely Flexible, Docker Friendly"

What do you like best?

Excellent ability to parallelize builds, especially with the (currently beta) Workflows 2.0.

The new Workflows 2.0 is EXTREMELY flexible.

Very responsive to help requests.

What do you dislike?

UI can be slow to load, doesn't work on some browsers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Workflows 2.0 as soon as possible.

Vastly reduced deployment times, much better visibility of builds for less technical team members.

CircleCI review by joshua b.
joshua b.

"Burn after reading"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to get a build setup.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often circle ci is down or experience slowdown.

We are solving testing issues. Since CI we have added more coverage to our testing for most of our applications.

CircleCI review by Andrew K.
Andrew K.

"If you haven't tried it, you need to"

What do you like best?

generous free plans for open source projects

easy to set up

plenty of features

plenty of customization

runs quick

What do you dislike?

Additional containers are a bit pricey IMO at $50. There are other services offering similar products at much lower prices.

Code Quality tests + Unit tests - pre-merge requisites

Continuous Deployment

Automated UI tests

CircleCI review by Ángel V.
Ángel V.

"Continuous Integration flexible and modern"

What do you like best?

You pay for containers so you can have lots of projects running their integrations in the same container, in that sense is cheaper than TravisCI service, and generate the .circle.yml file on the repo can be done too on the UI

What do you dislike?

I didn't found shell tools for check the .yml syntax of the .yml file though the alternative of being generated by the web is cool.

It was a travel company with lots of subsystems and apis connected, so continuos integrations of these apis was critical in order to don't have downtimes, or bugs that can interrupt the service

CircleCI review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"CircleCI is awesome for start-up"

What do you like best?

- easy to use and setup

- comprehensive documentation

- no effort on maintenance (unlike self-host solution)

- a good default setup (eg. pre-installed MySQL, PgSQL)

What do you dislike?

- Docker support is limited (not support Docker 1.12 yet)

- Lack of customized setting to the build machine (eg. more RAM, more CPU core, custom build runner image)

Recommendations to others considering the product

- CircleCI is the best for startup and small team without dedicated role for DevOps

We picked CircleCI when we build our CC pipeline. It turns out the CircleCI has strong integration to GitHub, Slack, etc. And it also allows custom integration and it makes our CD pipeline more completed

CircleCI review by Adam N.
Adam N.

"Essential part of our CI pipeline"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is easy to use, has a very simple and powerful authentication mechanism (via Github permissions). It's very easy to add custom elements to the deployment pipeline.

What do you dislike?

Well, that's not a lot to dislike. All good!

It's used for every project in our organization. Thanks to CircleCI we're able to test our projects and deploy them.

CircleCI review by User in Financial Services

"small team tested"

What do you like best?

The docker integration is super handy when I'm lucky enough to have a side project built that way. I have used it without docker for smaller projects too... I even think that is better than Travis, but my experience is less deep there. The setup is painless

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit sparse in an unhelpful way. Either the text and elements could be bigger, or more could be added. I don't often use the web interface, but when I do it's a "meh" experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's the best built-in CI for docker environments I've used so if that applies to you it might be worth switching.

We use it for small client projects with private repos and few specs along with developing larger internal services in docker environments.

CircleCI review by User in Computer Software

"Fantastic continuous integration services"

What do you like best?

CircleCI is one of the best continuous integration platforms available. Their services are fast and very feature rich, allowing things such as ssh capabilities for failing builds etc which can save mountains of time. Their service is very good at getting default builds running, and allows tweaking from there to make the build and running processes as smooth a possible. The support is always fantastic, with responses often coming within minutes of enquiries.

What do you dislike?

Native support for some up and coming technologies has been slow to evolve e.g. Elixir; however there are many unofficial methods out there to support most technologies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, the free tier is very generous, there's likely to be very little that you'd want to accomplish in the continuous integration space that you won't be able to do.

Continuous Integration needs to be at the core of every development team. We have tried many providers, including hosting our own, and nothing had the simplicity and reliability that we've had with CircleCI.

CircleCI review by Peter M.
Peter M.

"Simple, Flexible and improving"

What do you like best?

The reg-ex used for branch names allowing different branches to perform different functions (i.e. deploy to somewhere else).

This allows use to deploy 'feature' and 'beta' branches to different locations before promoting them to early adopters if we wish.

What do you dislike?

nothing really.... but;

I haven't worked out how to get a second round of testing going i.e. integration tests after the unit tests pass and the code gets deployed to a server we would now run more tests before deploying to live.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is faster than TravisCI.

It is simpler than Jenkins.

The updates are automatic unlike hosting your own solution.

Can SSH into the test box unlike other cloud solutions.

We have many small apps that need testing before being deployed to AmazonS3. CircleCi allows us to implement Continuous Deployment quickly and easily.

The unexpected benefit of having the ability to SSH into a box and diagnose any unforeseen problems is brilliant and unrivaled as far as i can tell. This is essential if your tests pass locally, but not remotely as always happens at somepoint. Could be simply a time-zone issue or version you forgot to set in the config file.

CircleCI review by Matt H.
Matt H.

"extremely fast, fantastic support"

What do you like best?

We used CircleCI because it was advertised to focus on speed, and that was true. We ran hundreds of rpsec, jasmine, and Selenium (PhantomJS) tests in record times. Whenever we had issues with flaky tests that we thought weren't our fault, CircleCI's support were in-depth and thoughtful with their analysis and debugging (which was almost always our fault). For an early-stage start-up with a highly productive team that did rapid commits in a test-driven mixed-language codebase, CircleCI was a no-brainer.

What do you dislike?

There were a few times when they upgraded their OS image and it broke our tests, Specifically, when they would upgrade the Firefox or Chrome version and it would be incompatible with the Selenium driver we had in use at the time. The upgrades were unannounced, so we lost an entire day to upgrading our selenium gem due to dependency hell. This was a year ago (in 2014), so their policies on image upgrades and notifications have hopefully improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would still do large C/C++ builds on local, beefy hardware due to the CPU and I/O required for linking large programs. For everything else (Ruby, Python, Node.js), I heartily recommend CircleCI.

We needed our entire test suite to run on a non-development workstation in less than 10 minutes. First, we needed to verify that our codebase remained functional beyond the local workstations for business continuity. Second, we needed test feedback on a per-commit basis in order to isolate regressions or problems -- and we committed several times an hour.

CircleCI review by Peter R. G.
Peter R. G.

"Convenient, managed, quick, expensive"

What do you like best?

CircleCI, once configured correctly, builds immediately once code is pushed to GitHub, whether master, develop, or feature branch. It’s simole and quick.

What do you dislike?

It is a hosted solution, and costs a fortune for enough licenses. It is difficult and manual to specify configuration values to inject during builds, such as encrypted or protected values.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ware of cost!

We run automated builds and deployments via CircleCI for all dev envirtonments to gain immediate view of the status of code and services.

CircleCI review by Administrator

"Fast, fast, fast"

What do you like best?

Coming from TravisCI, there was a significant speed improvement switching to circleCI. Our builds run on average in about 1/3 of the time they took previously.

What do you dislike?

The UI for a build has a lot of info and takes a little while to get acclimated in. Once I got used to it, I could always find what I needed.

Automating build deployment and testing for PR review for a large code base.

CircleCI review by Administrator in Computer Software