Cisco Firewall

Firewall solutions from Cisco offer integrated security to help safeguard various network environments.

Work for Cisco Firewall?
Sucuri  review  2x

Learning about Cisco?

Cisco Firewall Reviews

Showing 63 Cisco reviews
Cisco review by Administrator

Cisco firewall will they move to future?

What do you like best?

Its simple and easy to use, lots of clear tabs - which shows each setting and guides show each steps and command line configuration which was really nice if you do not have access to asdm.

What do you dislike?

Firepower module why it was so hard to build it earlier and integrate more - very poor performance of IPS access has to be limited as it cannot handle all traffic and memory is overloaded thenks to which firewalls fail over. I hope that future releses fix this. Also Firepower is very limited they just started adding features which in other firewalls are for months or years now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try other vendors which as today its much easier set up if you require IPS/URL filtering and monitoring

Security and filtering, it nice to add all features and firepower licenses but the throughput of firewall then is not so great... and here you have to limit what is being filtered or not or you will end up with large bottleneck which will be your firewall.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cisco Firewall
Cisco review by <span>Alfred T.</span>
Alfred T.

Cisco ASA

What do you like best?

The Cisco ASA series FW is quite versatile and supports a plethora of features that's suitable for small to very large deployments. I particularily like the ability to deploy SSLVPN termination on the same FW device.

The GUI wizards are definately quite useful for the beginner as jumping into the CLI to implement IPSEC VPN tunnels could be challening for few.

I also quite enjoy the debugging capabilities any Cisco device has as you should be able to troubleshoot majority of the problems from the debug logs.

The ASA platform has recently incorporated Snort capabilities and Firepower. I look forward to using that a good threat defense.

What do you dislike?

The JAVA ASDM GUI is one of it's major weakness. Nobody runs java apps anymore, yet their main GUI management is still stuck on that platform. The main interface also has not improved much since the beginning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can start off using the ASA by configuring it in ASDM. However I would recommend learning to use the CLI interface in order to know the ins and outs of the device. Use the ASDM only as a supplementary to make quick changes.

The Cisco ASA serves as a main access filter from the internet as well as IPSec and SSLVPN termination.

What Firewall solution do you use?

Cisco review by <span>Dale C.</span>
Dale C.

Cisco ASA5525 firewall and IPS

What do you like best?

More functions than I can use but fairly simple to maintain,manage and monitor external traffic. We also use the Intrusion Prevention module. Both provide very granular configuration. We did get a 3rd party partner to do the initial install which I recommend.

We have blocked many threats and had were able to verify our internal data assets were safe.

What do you dislike?

Not really a dislike but it is a complicated system which makes sense for the amount of control provided over internet traffic monitoring and filtering.

Unless you know the system well, I strongly recommend help with the initial install as incorrect settings can either shut you down or leave you open to threats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cisco is not the cheapest solution but is a solid vendor with a long history in this area. They have a broad range of network products and can work with you for a solution to issues 24/7.

Definitely a case of getting what you pay for with this product. It is rock solid and secure

Foremost securing our internal systems from outside threats is the primary reason for the firewall. Cisco is well established so we have a resource for support and know they will be around for the long run. Having Cisco network equipment internally helps with one platform/vendor for support.

We are able to protect our data and know of attacks. Monitoring also gives us the ability to look for other issues with traffic. We use Cisco Anyconnect VPN which integrates easily with the ASA5525

Cisco review by <span>Donald S.</span>
Donald S.

A Solid Solution

What do you like best?

Cisco has been in the security arena for a long time, and continue to improve and perfect their firewalls since their early PIX days. Their VPNs are rock solid and easy to manage. They have 24/7/365 support that can be extremely helpful if you escalate properly. The introduction of the FirePower platform only makes the solution better with much improved IDS/IPS capabilities.

What do you dislike?

The add-on software features tended to be much less stellar that the firewall platform itself. I've had varied results in running any of their add-on modules and tend to use the firewall as a firewall, and not a multi-purpose device.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though the platform is changing, I still view the ASA as an extremely solid and reliable firewall and not a multi-purpose device. In my opinion, I believe that it's one of the best pure firewalls on the market, though if you're looking for an all-in-one security device for a small or medium business, you may want to compare it to other options.

The goal of our most recent implementation of our ASA with FirePower services was to upgrade an aging ASA unit that provided network security and VPN access. The transition to the new firewall wasn't a huge learning curve in regard to support. There wasn't a huge boost in features with this implementation, though we're reaping some of the benefits in increased threat protection.

Cisco review by <span>Richard B.</span>
Richard B.

A workhorse firewall with a long legacy

What do you like best?

I went to school for networking, and my curriculum was very heavy on cisco routers and switches. The fact that they use the same (or similar) syntax in the firewalls allows for a those with cisco router and switch experience to transition easily. However, what I like most about the product is the simple command line configuration that I can script ahead of time. Other firewalls such as fortinet or palo alto are a pain to configure from the command line.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of troubleshooting capabilities for routing. On a cisco router you can do "sh ip route <address>" and see the exact route that the address is taking. On the cisco pix and ASA you have to do sh route | include <address> and hack off octets until you find one that MIGHT match.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a strong background in cisco devices, Cisco Firewalls are the way to go. However, if you are looking for something that performs excellent layer 7 firewalling, I'd suggest a Palo Alto over any of the cisco layer 7 firewalls.

As an MSSP, our customers prefer Cisco firewalls because of their long legacy as a stable and capable firewall platform.

Cisco review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

Cisco ASA

What do you like best?

Fairly solid product. Widespread use so there is a lot of documentation available. Able to privde Malware protection, VPN service and Firewall on the same box.

What do you dislike?

It uses Java for its GUI. Product line is a bit slow to adapt new technologies. Code has become a bit buggier over the years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework. When I was deploying my ASA's there was not much choice for L7 firewalls designed for the midsize market. The ASA is a good firewall, although a bit over priced as are all Cisco products.

Basic firewalling. We also use anyconnect VPN on the device. VPN use is much better than our previous web based VPN. We were able to add the Firesight module to the device to provide better security at the application layer.

Learning about Cisco Firewall?

* We monitor all Cisco Firewall reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.