Cision Distribution by PR Newswire

3.8

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire helps communication teams gain earned media and prove business impact by delivering press releases via the industry's largest, most trusted press release distribution network.

Work for Cision Distribution by PR Newswire?

Learning about Cision Distribution by PR Newswire?

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire Reviews

Ask Cision Distribution by PR Newswire a Question
Showing 632 Cision Distribution by PR Newswire reviews
Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cision Distribution by PR Newswire

What Press Release Distribution solution do you use?

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Neta Y.
Neta Y.

"Easy Tool but Lacking PR Relevance"

What do you like best?

The user experience is great. The seamless flow makes it quick to upload and distribute a press release. I also like how they call after you setup your press release to confirm that everything is okay.

What do you dislike?

Since this tool is mainly used to distribute press releases to media channels, I find that it goes to many super-micro channels that have zero exposure, so I'm paying over $1200/press release to get almost no impressions/relevant engagement on my press release. If the platform was more targeted to specific media publications/bloggers/influencers who are willing to open up their email to read the press release, then it would be a different story.

We have numerous corporate announcements on an annual basis and we hope to get relevant coverage to show how well our company is doing. PR Newswire allows us to distribute that messaging to a large audience, and the main benefit is that it's quick and not time-consuming.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Troy B.
Troy B.

"Send it to everyone!"

What do you like best?

As a blogger i love being able to sign up and get news releases from every company and industry I follow. Its great to have a one stop shop. On the other side I like how I can use it to share my news release.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I have to pay to post. That is really frustrating, for small companies that do not have a budget, it is usually not justifiable. There should be a limited free trial. I also do not think the categories are every intuitive. I have an alert for entertainment and i regularly get news on government and other industries that do not have entertainment ties.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a budget.

It solved a distribution problem, as well as created a budgeting problem. My organization does not have a budget for this, so we have to find alternate distribution methods.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jenna L.
Jenna L.

"Cision is vital! "

What do you like best?

I love the ease and user friendliness of Cision. I've used other similar products in the past and we've stuck with Cision for a few years now. I greatly appreciate the tagging system and ability to pull reports quickly. I really like the auto tagging feature where I can keep track of my campaigns or crises easily and have reports immediately for my supervisor/client.

What do you dislike?

It's an investment, which isn't a problem for larger companies, but can be prohibitive for smaller companies. In addition, sometimes it's difficult to get nitty gritty data. I wish some features were included in a general cost, rather than being a la carte.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into multiple platforms and see how their reporting/analytics compares for what you are specifically looking for in terms of reports.

The issue of monitoring coverage is solved with Cision. The ease of keeping coverage in one place where it's easy to pull monthly or annual reports including charts and graphs makes my life easier as a PR professional. I greatly appreciate the support chat function on Cision as well. If I'm ever having issues with the system or have trouble with the way something was categorized, the chat function ensures I'll be able to quickly have the issue resolved and be able to find out why something happened the way it did.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Gina D.
Gina D.

"Pr essential"

What do you like best?

I signed up to Cision quite accidentally but soon it turned into an essential tool for my job. it's an asset. I was able to do fam trips and write one of a kind reportages. I have been invited to events I would never imagine. It's like to be in comfort zone, with Cision you know that you don't have to go crazy to find contacts, someone will do it for you. So when I see in my inbox something unusual I know there is Cision behind. I recommend to all my colleagues to contact someone at Cision and ask to be added to their press list. They are also kind and they contact you if they see something is not right in your profile. Can you ask for more? don't forget that it is meant to save time and provide information that would otherwise only be available to those that have developed personal relationships with those journalists. Cision is the best out there. It's an investment that all Pr should do. As someone who is in the younger or even older, crowd, this is useful to me because when I started, I was unsure about how to reach who I needed to. Helped me immensely! Again don't think twice and go for Cision.

What do you dislike?

nothing to complain, never had any issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's a must have for journalists

essential tool for public relations

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Madison J.
Madison J.

"Cision - Searching for Contacts Made Easy "

What do you like best?

Cision is great when pulling large contact lists of reporters, editors etc. It makes it easy to contact specific people and search for publications. It has narrowing search features which help get the right person. I also like how you can export the contact list as an excel sheet which makes the process a lot easier since that is usually the next step in making a media list.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have with Cision is that it only allows one user at a time to use the program. At an office focused on media and communication, it is imperative to use Cision on most projects, so when only one person is able to log in, it causes problems and slows down the process. Most of the time, colleagues kick each other out in the person mid-search. This loses important searches and makes it very difficult to work efficiently when researching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Cision when you need to send out large press releases. It's also great when you need to narrow searches by publication topic, contact topic etc.

It is beneficial when you want to contact someone directly instead of going through their website or general email to contact them. It's more direct and usually gets more responses. Some contacts even put how or what they prefer to be contacted about which helps keep a good relationship.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Marty B.
Marty B.

"Cision: For Media Monitoring and Outreach"

What do you like best?

Having the articles and coverage in the same place as the database is essential. This efficiency results in better media interaction.

What do you dislike?

Setting up filters and dialing in key words to achieve better coverage can be time consuming. Also, some coverage is better of the printed publications. There are some limitations with content behind paywall too - even for publications that are "included" in your account's coverage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are comfortable with the range of coverage and that the print version is the primary coverage zone. There can be additional charges to include some of the major dailies on top of the package fees.

We have been solving the need to reach more media and increase the earned coverage. This has resulted in better overall coverage of our stories and pitches.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Dianna A.
Dianna A.

"Easy Platform, Great for Distribution, Fun Community"

What do you like best?

Press release distribution down the wire is very simple and straightforward, Can quickly and easily build reports in Excel format or by dashboard with great charts for your presentations. Cision City is the community platform where you can participate in discussions, ask questions and complete fun challenges for prizes. Very responsive and quick Customer Care.

What do you dislike?

They are still working out some small issues on the new platform in terms of reporting, such as building very specific reports - you can still get them done, just takes a few extra steps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent platform for press release distribution and reporting. Haven't touched the social aspect, but definitely looking into it.

Easily getting information and press releases out to the masses, building reports for higher-ups in the company to show progress of news coverage and distribution, easily communicating with staff to solve problems.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Anisha J.
Anisha J.

"I have used it to prepare media lists"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the massive range that the database covers. They have just about every publication you can think of. Also the detailed information about each publication's statistics and their reporters is amazing. They list - the beats reporters cover, how much does an ad cost, what is the circulation rate, etc. All these numbers can help you plan which publications you want to reach out. It also helped me to reach specific reporters who would be more interested in carrying out certain stories.

What do you dislike?

The search is not exactly user-friendly. You need to put in the exact name of whatever it is you are looking for. Even if there is a slight mistake, the search box will say - no matches found. This is one feature that I find inconvenient, I would have preferred if they would at least show some search options that if not exact are close to what you are looking for, something like Google search.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest being patient. It takes time to get the hang of it. At first I found it pretty complicated but now I am fairly comfortable with it.

I can easily figure out which reporters and publications to reach out to by reading which topics they cover. It also provides me with all the contact information, which makes reaching out so much easier.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Casey D.
Casey D.

"A fantastic time/effort saver that more than returns on its cost"

What do you like best?

The PR Newswire distribution network helps me target an astounding number of journalists and outlets, including ones I would never find no matter how much I like tracking down. Additionally, since the release authoring and distribution functions are seamlessly linked, I can skip a whole lot of the old-school administrative/technical work required to craft and effectively distribute a release.

What do you dislike?

These tools are deeper than they appear on the surface and Cisions' own tutorials only give you a basic knowledge of of the system. I found digging through YouTube and consulting colleagues helped me find demonstrations on how to more powerfully use PR Newswire. That and a lot of experimenting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is very easy to use after a little training. Figure about a day's worth of time to really figure out how to use it. Watch Cision's internal training videos, then search around YouTube for more advanced tutorials. Also consider a primer in effective research/use of keywords to better understand/bolster Cision's tools. It will help you target your outlets.

I am able to rapidly move a press release from concept to targeted distribution in basically three steps, which is magical. This lets me focus on 1) the substance of the release 2) aligning it with my marcom team's goals and 3) gaining internal/client approvals. Additionally, (geek alert!) I find simply browsing through the system's distribution lists gives me a much broader knowledge of what journalists/outlets exist.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User

"Great for Press Release Distribution and Analytics, Needs More Social Integration"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily distribute press releases down the wire and get analytics for any and all coverage. Gone are the days of manually building clip reports - Cision does that and builds you a customizable analytics dashboard for these hits.

What do you dislike?

There aren't many options in terms of social. You can get analytics, but what about finding relevant influencers and followers? This could definitely help marketing social media experts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool to use for press release distribution and can easily get your news out there for others to see. The templates they can create for your analytics are also very convenient and easily downloadable and have helped me build reports for my teams that can be used on presentations as well. Not sure how to use it for social media effectively, but hopefully, I will learn.

Easily distributing news and building reports for our teams quickly and effectively that are easy to digest.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jake D.
Jake D.

"Publicist, using it for PR distributions"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to filter through results easily. I can get very specific, very quickly. When working with multiple clients and press releases, this is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

When creating a distribution list in Vocus, I wish the numerical amount would adjust according to the amount of people currently selected. To be more specific, if "automobiles (45)" is truly listing 45 people, then that number makes sense. But if the number is actually 25, the number next to automobiles should be adjusted. It would save me time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are definitely minor details that can be worked out, but i'm confident that the Cison team will continue to improve the service. My interaction with customer service has resolved issues. The platform is easy to navigate after some initial practice time spent.

We're able to easily create a list of potential publicity opportunities and share helpful data with clients. This adds empirical evidence to an otherwise vague type of work. Clients enjoy seeing the graphs.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Abby M.
Abby M.

"Easy to Use All-in-One PR Platform"

What do you like best?

The way the platform is organized makes it quick and easy to find what you're looking for or looking to do (ex. send out an email release or wire release). Also the live webinars are really helpful!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you need to follow up a Cision rep on a question you submitted via email or phone call.

Cision helps us get the word out about our organization and allows us to easily track who is viewing our press releases and what kind of an impact it's having. Also we use the editorial calendar and Help a Reporter Out (HARO) to proactively reach out to the media and pitch story ideas and establish new relationships.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jessica P.
Jessica P.

"PRN 2017"

What do you like best?

PR Newswire has excellent customer service. They are also very reliable in terms of getting our releases out at the correct time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that once you approve the proof of a release, it places it in a que where it could be accidentally distributed. We had an issue where an old release was sent out 5 times within an hour to our entire email list of beat reporters that we keep on file with PRN. I now don't approve proofs any sooner than necessary.

PRN helps us ensure we meet the Sec requirements in terms of who must receive our corporate press releases. They save us the time and effort of trying to maintain the distribution list ourselves.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Internet

"Cision - reliable and organized."

What do you like best?

My favorite feature Cision has to offer is the extent to which press/media contacts are organized and updated. Contacts are sorted in a variety of different ways (product category, publication, industry, etc.) that make them easy to find and keep tabs on. In addition, every featured media entity is also organized by department, where you can then find up-to-date contact information of all members of that specific team within the organization.

What do you dislike?

For a beginner, the platform can be difficult to navigate. Cision has a handful of different features, and the interface can appear cluttered at times. I think the data can be organized and labeled in a more user-friendly way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your goals are to target strategic media and press contacts, make sure you approach Cision with a strategy and know exactly what it is that you're looking for. There's a lot of data and it can be easy to get lost if you're not strategic in your approach.

Cision is a one-stop shop for any and all relevant press and media contacts that would be useful when targeting specific public relations efforts.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I LOVE having the webinars readily available. They walk you through step-by-step, and they also have live webinars where you can ask questions as you go along. It's also easy to get in touch with Cision employees in case you have any questions. Our account manager calls us about once a month to check up on us, which is really nice. He often does one-on-one webinars and walk-throughs if we need help.

What do you dislike?

Don't really have anything to complain about at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! We have had a lot of success with this platform and have gained many new members to our organization through it. It's gotten our name out there to more potential members of our organization, or at least helped us with distributing information to those who need it.

Trying to pitch stories to reporters to get out name out there. We've had a lot of media recognition with this platform. We will eventually also connect social media to Cision, so hopefully that will help our company.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User

"Go-To Media Monitoring Service"

What do you like best?

I like how seriously Cision takes reports that contact information is out of date or incorrect. I've reported a few incidents and each time they were resolved within an hour or two. Compared to Meltwater, Cision has been able to pull articles Meltwater wouldn't have been able to - Cision is a more comprehensive platform. I'm a big fan of Cision City and am grateful to learning opportunities the Cision City Challenges represent. I also appreciate the webinars Cision offers when new product updates are rolled out Ex Matterhorn Release.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you can only add a piece of coverage to one campaign. I also dislike that certain features like Publicity Value are not automatically turned on in your account and as a result, require users to contact customer service to get it changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend exploring Cision before your current media monitoring service expires because that will highlight all the ways Cision is better and how Cision will make your life easier. If you switch to Cision, I recommend leaving a bit of overlap between your old media monitoring service and starting Cision so you can ensure you have the right search terms and contacts built in Cision lists.

I use Cision to devise media lists for pitching and monitoring coverage mentioning my workplace. Through Cision I track my campaign activity and create reports to share with team members. I've also been able to discover other tips for media pitching and communication efforts through the case studies and challenges in Cision City.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Heather H.
Heather H.

"Excellent tool for finding exposure for your brand"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to sort through contacts multiple ways and save them to different lists. It's helped me build a strategy for contacting reviewers as well as media for specific pitches. I've also gotten a lot of use out of HARO and the editorial calendars.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to see a snapshot of social information. Anything to speed up the process of sifting through all of the contacts is always appreciated!

We use Cision to help us find product reviewers and media contacts to pitch. I also use it to keep an eye out for stories pertaining to our industry.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jan L.
Jan L.

"One of the better media tools but still just ok"

What do you like best?

I like being able to research journalists and send media pitches directly. It's nice to be able to view a journalist's profile and get their contact info. I had a story come up that had our company name wrong. I was able to find the journalist and send him a note with a correction right away.

What do you dislike?

Everything is separate. If I want analytics, I have to buy that. If I want social, I have to buy that. I also can't find journalists by keyword on a topic they may have written on in the past. Meltwater has that feature and I really like it (despite Meltwater's heavy pressure sales techniques, the service is really good).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Years ago, I used cision exclusively and hated it. You needed a degree in programming to get a list put together! Now, it's much, much easier to use so it's a step in the right direction. However, I'm still not over the moon about Cision. It's just OK. It gets me a list of journalists based on demographics and some criteria but it really doesn't allow me to really research journalists based on what they're writing about. We all know that beats change and they're not consistent. Searching a keyword or phrase and seeing who has written about that is such a better way to target. I guess I'm still in the Meltwater camp but have been given Cision as a tool the company uses. I have to say I'm just not impressed and it's just OK.

I had to do several regional pitches for our national product and it was easy to find journalists by region. I find in the B2B setting, it's tough to find the right journalists in niche audiences. It takes research and Cision is one of the better choices. I still prefer Meltwater EVEN with their pushy sales.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Marya P.
Marya P.

"Cision is great for finding contacts, but don't forget to do your own research"

What do you like best?

I love using Cision to find outlets in specific markets. From there, I research on my own to find their contact info, as I often find Cision's contact information to be out of date. BUT, I absolutely love it to find specific types of outlets in various markets. Cision is especially helpful when trying to reach media not in your area.

What do you dislike?

Like I said above -- Cision's contact information can be out of date. When I was first starting, I was getting a lot of bounceback emails and quickly learned to use Cision to find the outlet, but use my own research to find the specific media member's contact information.

Working for a PR agency with global and national clients, it's sometimes hard to know media that are not in your regularly target market. Cision is great for building media lists for these clients. I also use Cision to gain insight into outlets in specific industries, which is very helpful when working with multiple-industry clients.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Kristin F.
Kristin F.

"Simple yet effective"

What do you like best?

I love being able to control where my PR gets picked up. I like having the tools provided by Cision to contact specific publications. The account manager is super friendly and she even offers to look over our PR to give ideas and recommendations. We have been working with Cision for 3 years and although our needs change our account rep is upfront about upgrading to larger packages and every time we expand our team she gets on the phone and does a walk-through with our team to refresh our current team and answer questions for new members

What do you dislike?

It's a little pricey but worth every penny if you use every feature. I wouldn't recommend this to a small company who just wants to do one or two PR blasts.

We have a specific Niche and its great to have the contacts to publications to talk and network our way into what they want to see.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"Cision has helped us grow our media presence and build our database of media contacts"

What do you like best?

The ease of finding a new contact within the industry. I also like the new reports they generate showing how the well the campaign did . These have been helpful with knowing who is receiving our emails or who's contact information needs updated.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to become familiar with the platform and remember where every function is located.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is like an industry specific phone book at the tip of your fingers. You can find anyone with media influence in your industry and have direct access to their information, email and phone number. It makes it easy to find exactly who you need to target.

We weren't able to contact the right people before. Now we can easily find who we are looking for. Our media mentions have increased significantly and we are building relationships with journalists.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Kami L.
Kami L.

"cision Insights"

What do you like best?

I like how cision lists all the contact information you need for reporters, news stations, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how oftentimes the information is outdated. Sometimes it lists someone as a reporter who has since left the business like two years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be mindful that the information you pull from this software may not be the most updated so always double check a reporter's current status on LinkedIn.

It helps minimize the time needed to search for reporter information. It's convenient because for a TV station, it'll list the news station, number, address, reporter information and news director information. It'll have both an email and phone number that may be hard to find on the regular website.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Katie P.
Katie P.

"Easy way to pull media contacts"

What do you like best?

The advanced search features. Cision makes it easy to target specific DMAs, types of outlets, their coverage, etc. I also like their influencer tab where I can pull a list of Twitter influencers on specific topics.

What do you dislike?

It's not very intuitive. For instance, if I misspell or put in the wrong formatting in search, it just says no results found rather than giving me suggstions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with your company or team to get proper training on the platform. Cision is very helpful in your role but isn't easy to navigate for first-time users.

Building media lists for outreach, researching reporters, looking up UVM, etc.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Agency in Public Relations and Communications
Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision - An Oldie But A Goodie"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has an extensive, highly accurate database of contacts in all forms of media from magazines and newspapers to blogs and radio. I also like that if they are missing a contact - I can add the contact and that contact is automatically added to the database.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little outdated and looks a little old. The design and layout of the website could be updated to something sleeker and easier to use - it takes a bit to learn how to get around it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it - even though it's a bit harder to learn, it has the best contact database and I hear that it is improving its social media monitoring and distribution elements.

Finding contacts to be able to pitch them is easy with Cision. I hardly ever need to research to find a media outlet or employee's contact information. From this, I am assured that my pitches and press releases are going to the correct contacts and receive fewer bounce back emails.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Seamless Process for Standard Distribution"

What do you like best?

PR Newswire provides a seamless process for regular PR distribution needed for our average one release per month. The translation offerings are a nice addition and much cheaper than the standard translation service.

What do you dislike?

Turnaround times vary by language, which have cause unknown delays for releases in multiple languages. The reporting capabilities are good, but would like to see more in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small team that needs PR support, PR Newswire is a great option. It can be used by advanced knowledge users and novice users.

PR Newswire enables us to reach global markets that we would otherwise not be able to tap into with the industry lists and multiple newsline options. As we enter new markets, it is a great feature to quickly announce the company's presence.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Helps make life easy!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, great monitoring tool and the daily alerts are key for keeping us up-to-date with overnight news. New influencer streams are interesting. Cision is also the best we've found for distributing our releases to the media.

What do you dislike?

Our organization's name makes it hard to track easily but Cision (formerly Vocus) support has worked with us on narrowing our keyword searches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a lot of capabilities, just make sure that you train yourself properly in it's use to be able to get the most out of it. I love their video how-to's and have recommended them to our interns who are looking to build their skills.

We're tracking our coverage and competitors coverage much more than we were in the past.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Internet

"Gets the press releases on the wire"

What do you like best?

Without a doubt, Cision gets the job done. It's simple enough to use, and only took a few days for me to feel confident with distributions. The experience is all very guided, especially with the separate sections when it comes to actually uploading the release

What do you dislike?

Few things I dislike: 1) That links within the body of the release don't transfer over when you copy and paste - it's just more time consuming to have to redo the links and 2) the formatting doesn't transfer over. As far as I can tell, there's no way to add bullet points within Cision, so you have to use hyphens and redo the formatting when you copy and paste something over and 3) I wish you could upload an image directly to the particular release, rather than into your Cision library, and then onto the release.

None of these are absolutely glaring items - just little things that would speed up the process of press release distribution and make the overall experience better.

Cision allows us to get the press releases on the wire within hours, which is great if they don't get written or approved until the day they're supposed to go live.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Cision PR"

What do you like best?

I've only used Cision twice, both times to send out Press Releases for our company. I really liked that it automatically gives you analytics on who's picked up the article. It also gives you recommendations for who you should send it to, depending on your region or field of work that the article is related to. I also like how it already guides you to format the press release correctly and will score you depending on the amount of information you've included.

What do you dislike?

It's not the easiest to understand at first. There are a lot of ways to send out a PR and it doesn't exactly guide you to which way you should start with, depending on the type of release you're putting out. I also wish there was more ease in adding news outlets - right now you have to add each individually.

We are trying to get our company name out there - and one way of doing that is by sending out Press Releases. Having an account with Cision allows us to get our name out there easier than if we were attempting to do it on our own. Cision has a much broader reach and is very beneficial by helping select where your PR needs to be seen.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Natalie B.
Natalie B.

"Huge timesaver for research, news release distribution"

What do you like best?

The integration with PRNewswire has streamlined our process for researching media targets and distributing a news release. It's nice to have it all in one place.

What do you dislike?

The media list isn't always totally updated. It's understandable since reporters and producers move around so much but it always seems like it takes a while before it's updated. I am only able to catch mistakes with markets I'm super familiar with but always wonder if I'm hitting the right inboxes in ones I don't know as well.

Efficiency - having everything in one place is a huge timesaver, which is a huge money maker in the agency business.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Chris N.
Chris N.

"New To Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision is a very powerful tool that is helping us with our digital marketing reach and web monitoring for markets that we work with as well as our company mentions. Their webinars to help train us on best practices in using their platform have been most helpful and their instructors have always been available for any questions or concerns we have.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was more integration with LinkedIn since it is the most widely used social media platform for business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it if you want to strengthen your marketing stack.

Cision is helping us connect to more Influencers in the markets that we serve so that we can have a more focused audience when we send out our announcements and company news. This is increasing our brand awareness.

"The best tool in PR"

What do you like best?

I love that almost every outlet you'd need to search for is there. The stats and breakdown of titles and topics really helps me find who I'm looking for. I also like that you can easily search by markets and specific locations. The export tool is great because I can pull contacts quickly and export them to a spreadsheet to use which makes building media lists quick and efficient.

What do you dislike?

I wish cision automatically saved all the searches you created and that multiple people can be logged in on one account. I also dislike that at times the contacts listed can be outdated and incorrect. I've run into that more than a couple of times. I can usually locate the right contact after but I'd rather have it on the first try. I also don't like that when you copy/export contacts to google docs or excel the phone number often gets messed up since it recognizes it as a command and not a plus sign in a number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely play around on it for a little while. The tutorial is helpful but it's much more useful to use learn on your own. You learn as you go so even if the tutorial seems like a lot it's really not as confusing and complicated as it seems.

It really helps us to be successful in our outreach especially small markets throughout the country and around the world as well.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Alexandra C.
Alexandra C.

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

the use of the Cision tool/ PR Web is easy and very effective for our business needs. copying and pasting within the press release editor quick, and the prompts on screen are helpful. I also like how I can go back and edit my release before its finally "sent." I also really like the review feature so we can track the activity of the release.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how I am unable to see more about the regions I am sending my releases to. I want to know more about each list. I am also disappointed that when we "upgraded" to a package, I did not notice much of a difference. Yes, it shows me that the release was picked up by more sights but we are not seeing any benefit to that as a business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The release packages aren't that great and therefore are not needed to get the job done. Overall a good way to distribute releases.

We need more awareness! As i mentioned above, we purchased a package in hopes of growing our reach of our press releases online. I also would really like access to the database of journalists but that is too expensive for us which is disappointing.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Internet

"Helpful for finding the right reporters"

What do you like best?

My favorite part was being able to search for reporters using multiple different keywords or search criteria. It's super helpful being able to search by topics that reporters have self-identified as their interest. You can also see who has opened your distribution and who has opened links within that distribution, which then helps with targeting follow-up to reporters.

What do you dislike?

Creating media lists can be a bit time consuming and tedious. Not extremely intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let the time consuming nature of creating media lists dissuade you from Cision. The search engine is incredible, and it's very easy to set up press releases. You can just copy and paste from Word! The aesthetic is pleasing and once the media lists are created, it's very easy to just log in and push your news out.

Cision helped me easily and quickly conduct outreach about my company, outreach that I could not have accomplished on my own (or if I did, it would've taken days to research reporters and create a media list).

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Liz R.
Liz R.

"Great Tool to find media connections"

What do you like best?

I like that I can create lists based off what account I am working on and its needs. In addition, I love that I can distribute a press release through Cision and see who has opened it, etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the media contacts are not always current, so it can feel tedious to double check and make sure that the contact is still there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that you do the Cision training to fully maximize your use of this tool.

Connecting with the media, Distributing Press Releases, Identifying Target Outlets.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Easy to use with friendly and accessible account managers"

What do you like best?

The platform is constantly evolving and easy to use. They were recently acquired by PR Newswire so their platform is very streamlined to work in conjunction with that system, but is also great for anyone that uses BusinessWire. Press lists are very easy to build, press release templates are more customizable and news is quick to search for.

What do you dislike?

With all things, it is still evolving, but the new platform is more advanced and streamlined than the previous. I think there are a lot of things you don't use that you still pay for, but it's difficult to master every aspect of this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to have your account manager train you and take as many online tutorials/ classes you can.

We are able to quickly build new press lists as well as pull reports and segment out lists if needed.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Maura H.
Maura H.

"Efficient Product, Does the Job Just Not Perfect"

What do you like best?

Cision has MOST reporters and outlets that I'm looking for, which is important when looking for a specific person or when I need to contact someone at a specific outlet.

What do you dislike?

Frequently I find that the contact information provided is outdated; emails bounce, people no longer work there or phone numbers don't work. It can also be very hard to refine your search and the program can occasionally be slow to load for certain functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Search in various ways for information -- by name and outlet. Be sure to review lists before sending something to all of them -- just because you set certain parameters doesn't mean that every one is included in that list and/or that everyone the program automatically included actually fits your parameters.

Finding contact information for media personnel and outlets.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Cisoin Review - Clarification Matters"

What do you like best?

I like the Cision dashboard, because its fairly easy to quickly navigate and get information at a glance.

What do you dislike?

The Cision "Connect" seems to really be lacking but I think it has a tremendous amount of potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good if you want to target "influencers" aka their media contacts, but otherwise if you really want to engage with your customers its severely lacking in that area. I'd recommend coupling Cision with another software if you want more of the social media management aspect but its good for PR specifically.

We needed to manage social media, post to various SM outlets, and also monitor and record news coverage for various different entities. The benefit has been in the coverage - Cision offers a very extensive listening service with the ability to not only monitor web, but also print, tv, and radio as well.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Natalie K.
Natalie K.

"PR Newswire review"

What do you like best?

It is a quality hub of information about the brands and businesses that my digital news company covers.

What do you dislike?

The search function is a bit clunky and does not always provide results that are relevant to my work or to what keywords I searched.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be specific in what you're searching. When you do not find exactly what you need, it is often helpful to manually browse the site for relevant content.

PR Newswire helps with the news idea curation process that my team does every day in order to to our jobs.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is great for media lists & distribution of releases"

What do you like best?

Cision is constantly updating media contacts nationally. This saves a ton of time & gives you the piece of mind of knowing that when you send out a release, that it is going to the right people & that emails won't bounce back. It makes curating national media lists easy.

What do you dislike?

The social media posting aspects need some work. You have to use an image URL & fill out an Excel spreadsheet if you want to schedule posts in bulk. The social media reporting still needs work as well. Cision only records stats on the posts that are scheduled through Cision. Overall, if you work with social media often you will need to purchase another platform.

Very helpful for national clients.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Simple PR Distribution"

What do you like best?

It's relatively easy to sign in, create a new listing, and add some target groups. It's great being able to send off a PR in under 5 minutes after it's been written up and we're ready to distribute.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX could definitely use some improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can get a great deal buying a package of Press Releases (bundling 12 PR's, for example), with advance features for the price of a basic release. If you can afford it up front, it's well worth it and you'll save cash.

Simple, streamlined press release distribution.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Toni L.
Toni L.

"cision is great"

What do you like best?

cision is great... it neatly gives you relevant reporters contact information and info on what they cover

What do you dislike?

sometimes cision is outdated or just inaccurate. it would be great if they could do a better job keeping up with media and omitting journalists and producers who no longer work with certain publications

Recommendations to others considering the product

great product, just sometimes outdated

working in public relations, i use cision to search for media to share story ideas. my job would be incredibly challenging without cision

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Best in the business"

What do you like best?

Cision's media database is the best in this space. It's the most robust, allowing for easier list building. The support staff is super responsive and helpful each time I reach out with questions.

What do you dislike?

This is currently no hierarchy to add media members to lists (ex: travel editor, then managing editor, then editor, then staff writer), but that may be due to the fact that publication staffs are much smaller now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is the best in the business. No media database is perfect, but Cision is the market leader!

We use Cision for many PR efforts, but mainly to maintain and update our media database and send press releases. The media database is unmatched with other companies we have demoed, and Cision does a great job of regularly updating contacts and outlets.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Eric L.
Eric L.

"Great media monitoring and media contact platform. "

What do you like best?

Most comprehensive media database in the industry. Allows us to easily monitor a wide variety of topics, keywords, etc. for our brand. The tool lets you search from a huge list of criteria.

What do you dislike?

Interface is outdated and sometimes hard to navigate. The search feature, although very comprehensive, is hard to navigate and confusing to most users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is still the best media monitoring and media contact database out there. The industry is definitely getting more competitive but Cision is working/has made updates to their tool.

Monitor brand exposure and impact of media team work. Also, allows a team of writers to find media contacts and deliver releases to leading journalists/outlets. Easily track placements in key outlets.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Adam H.
Adam H.

"Beware of the "studies""

What do you like best?

That on any given day, there are tons of press releases that are categorized by industry.

What do you dislike?

Branded content masquerading as "studies" or "surveys"

Recommendations to others considering the product

PR Newswire may very well be useful from the PR side, but as a journalist using this site for stories and timely information, the content could use a little oversight. There are a lot of sponsored "studies" pretending to be scientific research.

Timely financial content for story ideas.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Whitney S.
Whitney S.

"Amazing resource to step up your PR game"

What do you like best?

I like that this a service for my agency that cuts out the grunt work. It allows us to work my efficiently and find the best suited media outlet tailored to the specific industry we need. It provides us the tools we need to venture out into the world of bloggers and tap into resources we would not have if it weren't for Cision.

What do you dislike?

Out of everything, the price of Cision is hard to justify when you don't have the need to use it daily. We are a full service agency, but we do not provide PR and media relations services everyday. So although this helps us tremendously when we do, the cost of it almost isn't worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do your research to ensure you have the need to use it. It is a great tool and great value for the money. However, if you don't use it frequently the price seems quite high. So make sure it is a definitive need before purchasing.

We are tapping into media relations strategically, and not out of luck and relationships already built. It helped us deliver better results to our clients. We are able to provide analytics, coverage and additional outreach tools. We finally can measure the success of our PR and media efforts.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Internet

"Cision PR newswire and distribution service"

What do you like best?

Once set up, the Cision service can be a useful way to distribute PR stories online and to relevant contacts. The newsrooms look nice and the PR can easily be shared.

What do you dislike?

Very unhelpful support and any software issues take an age to sort out,.

There seems to be a high turn over of staff, so you are never able to contact your Account Manager as they have left.

Cision recently "migrated" my account - losing me all my images and preset templates.

After 10 days of being unable to send my PR as the migrated system was not fully functioning, I switched to another provider. During this time I sent emails and range various support helplines and the team were still very unhelpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do it!

Sending out PR to a dedicated list, knowing the PR gets to the right people.

Having switched from Cision (Vuelio), I can see that the customer service and functionality were both lacking.

"Review of Cision"

What do you like best?

Having used a few other platforms, I feel Cision (formerly Vocus) best captures all earned media and its value. It is also pretty simple to distribute press releases and its database is pretty useful as well.

What do you dislike?

In trying to keep our costs down, our package makes compiling specific areas of coverage (print vs. online or broadcast, etc.) is a little more difficult than I would like, but still not too bad. Also, custom lists can be tedious in regards to uploading individual names. It would be more helpful if I could upload an Excel spreadsheet, instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you ask plenty of questions about what services you will receive and won't depending on what you spend.

In addition to using Cision to assist in compiling results for earned media, such as total stories, ad value and circulation/viewership, we hope to fully utilize the media database tool to find the best reporters across the country and at home for the right stories.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Justine R.
Justine R.

"Marketing Director"

What do you like best?

Love the information and contact information for most of the reporters and press I am trying to connect with. It is simple for us to use and find the press we are looking to connect with. I really like being able to see who has read my email, which allows me to stay connected to those frequent openers and send less pitches to those who do not open as frequently.

What do you dislike?

Not every contact has all the information and is it difficult to manage lists. There is a learning curve to some of the features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We found this to be extremely useful while building our internal press list without using a large PR firm.

We are able to connect with Press and are able to tailor pitches to them. We are able to connect with press around updates, events, promotions better than we ever were before. I loved being able to geo and activity target making my pitches more relatable and relevant.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Melissa K.
Melissa K.

"Continued Success"

What do you like best?

The accessibility and availability of all of the functions throughout the PR platform. I like that I can track my activity through charts and graphs, and also print out reports to monitor what I've done over a specified time period. Everything I need is on my dashboard and accessible to me and my team.

What do you dislike?

I would like more training on how to use all of the features, but I would like those trainings on my own time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The platform is easy to use and easy to train. It is also visually appealing and it is on trend. I am constantly contacted for webinars to improve my skill set and also to find out if I need any assistance with anything.

I am solving the issue of efficiency when contacting the media. Using Cision is a much faster and concise way of doing business and all of my reports are at my fingertips. Tracking my activity and the activity of my team through the program is a huge benefit.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Kristen C.
Kristen C.

"Enhances your company's reach to the media"

What do you like best?

The best part about the Cision suite is how easy it is to use. Whether you are trying to create a list or simply send out a distribution everything is clearly laid out in front of you. They also have a really great database for niche industries. Working in the event industry, it can sometimes be hard to find all the global media contacts for big outlets online. Cision did not disappoint with their results.

What do you dislike?

While they have great list for the US, some of their global contacts could use some work. Working for an international company with clients in Europe, Middle East, APAC region and North America - we need to be able to reach all these clients and potential clients. Enhanced lists in global areas would be great.

Their account managers, at least from my experience are pretty hands off as well. I would love to have them be a little more proactive with their approach.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They really are the best in the business with their solution, especially after acquiring Vocus. However, they can get pricey if you are in-house and have a small budget like we do and you won't see that much of a price change from year to year.

We needed a more efficient way to reach out to contacts and Cision has helped with that. Also it is hard to find the right contacts for our industry - Cision helped us to get the right names. We have already seen a huge increase in the amount of times our company is listed online. We needed to expand our reach, and we did.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Dayn R.
Dayn R.

"Timely News and Press Releases"

What do you like best?

Constant stream of information and ability to manage PRs. Lots of examples of what good PRs look like along with a good bit of info to read through for more education.

What do you dislike?

At times, it is tough to streamline, or tailor, the incoming PRs due to the abundance of them! Almost sensory overload until you customize your prefs.

Getting our PRs out there in a quick and easy method and not having to employ an agency.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Not great for healthcare news distribution, but a great platform"

What do you like best?

I liked how easy to use PRNewswire is. I found the setup process, customer service and back end platform extremely easy to use and utilize. I was particularly impressed with their customer service team. They were timely in getting back to me and very friendly over the phone with the multiple questions I had. Additionally, I emailed them quite a bit to get help on adding graphics. They were able to assist me right away which was great.

What do you dislike?

While I loved the platform, I didn't find it to be extremely useful for healthcare news distribution. It went to standard wire services (mostly business focused) and didn't give me the pickup that I hoped for. I think anyone going into using this wire service needs to have clear goals outlined for pickup. I want others to take this with a grain of salt, because it a) could've been the nature of the story I pitched, or b) healthcare news wasn't the best for this wire. That I'm unsure of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go into the setup process with defined goals and questions for the sales team. That'll give you a leg up in comparing this service against other wires and if it serves your purposes. I didn't personally find it great for the healthcare story I put out over the wire, but perhaps I didn't do my research enough/ask the right questions.

Trying to raise awareness of a particular healthcare story.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"good idea, tough to use"

What do you like best?

I use Cision every day and though most of its products and services are the best in the industry, the distribution needs a lot of work. Customer service is always top notch though and should be noted they are willing to walk us through the processes.

What do you dislike?

It is incredibly difficult to use. Oftentimes we turn to other distribution services because it is too intimidating. Also, it seems to be too hard to train.

Reaching the right journalists for our distribution and the right editors. We don't want our distributions looking robotic and uniform, we want to be able to personalize.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Very helpful service, but not comprehensive"

What do you like best?

I like that with Cision, I — as a PR professional — can look up contact info for media outlets and members of the media that I would not normally be able to find online.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that they only have certain publications and certain reporters/editors/producers. I would say 7 times out of 10 they have what I need. But the other three times can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be hard to navigate at first, but once you get the hang of the software, Cision can be a real lifesaver.

We are solving the problem of finding contact information, and the great benefit of Cision is having a huge database of contact information all in one place.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Kate S.
Kate S.

"It fits out needs, not much more"

What do you like best?

The user interface is no-frills, and the results seem to be very comprehensive. We get hits in a lot of obscure markets and they have never missed one that I know of.

What do you dislike?

The system could be more intuitive. I'd love some work along tutorials or mouse-over tips. And when I have called support, they have more of a "here I will just do that for you" attitude (versus my preference to actually learn how to do it.)

We're working to capture clips and metrics on our media hits, both in mainstream media (TV, newspaper, radio) as well as social (mostly twitter.) The tool works well for those purposes.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Consultant in Public Relations and Communications
Consultant in Public Relations and Communications

"PR Newswire offers good distribution - but it's pricey"

What do you like best?

I like that you can issue a press release the same day without waiting. The distribution is also very good.

What do you dislike?

It's TOO expensive. Many of my clients are smaller businesses, startups or nonprofits that simply can't $1000+ to issue a press release. They charge extra for everything - images, word count, you name it. Trying to get everything in a 400-word release can be tricky and they charge extra for going over.

Also, I had an excellent account rep for a long time who would waive the annual fee - no longer. We shouldn't pay an annual fee when we're already paying too much for the service itself. Ridiculous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful - be sure to check out other services, like PR Web, for a lower cost alternative. Business Wire is the same as PR Newswire.

It does a good job of getting the word out. I think the distribution is about the best you can find with a press release service. It also allows for immediate distribution - no waiting.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Ashby B.
Ashby B.

"Cision to the Rescue"

What do you like best?

That a lot of the media outlets have multiple contacts listed and their department. I don't always need to contact the editor or the marketing department when sending a press piece or a calendar event. Cision's organization helps me reach the most appropriate person for my message.

What do you dislike?

The the PR tracking and ROI calculator costs so much. I would love to be able to track my leads and what actually makes it to print and who might have seen it. But, as a small DMO we don't have the money for those sorts of resources.

Cision has been extremely helpful when it comes to finding, researching, and contacting social influencers. Digital and social media is certainly a marketing direction we want to continue to move in and finding social influencers in our area or who align with our brand is key.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Sarah D.
Sarah D.

"Basic PR Software That Makes Distribution Simple"

What do you like best?

I have used Cision's PRWeb software for several years and have always found it pretty simple to use. The UI is pretty basic though, but it provides enough functionality to get a press release distributed through a network.

What do you dislike?

Pretty basic IU... would like more bells and whistles, including a preview email mode that allows you to send a test of the web version with quote in it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want basic, easy to use release software, this may be it.

Press release distribution.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"I miss cision every day"

What do you like best?

An extensive network of up to date contact information for leading national and local journalists. I left my agency role for a role at a governmental branch that doesn't have the budget for software like cision. It is HARD to do media lists without it.

What do you dislike?

It's honestly cost prohibitive to a lot of people, but I understand that it's a huge benefit so it should be expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! You will save so much time and money by using Cision to target media and influencers. We were able to start pursuing blogger relationships across the country because of Cision. Once we were able to build up a rapport with local media (thanks to cision, this was way easier and less time consuming), we could devote our time to getting into the niche mediasphere. Our clients were ecstatic that we could start pairing them with influencers across the country.

The hours we previously spent creating our media lists were instead spent proactively pursuing media placements for our clients. Save so much time and energy, and it means that the work we do is more effective in pursuing our goal of customer satisfaction.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Using Cision for media lists and distribution"

What do you like best?

I like using Cision for building media lists, finding individual media contacts, and distributing releases.

We also use the influencer ratings to help determine who to contact and what outlets to prioritize. It's helpful to have one place to find all the details about outlets, like circulation, focus, etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a bit glitchy and I'm often unsure whether the contacts are all updated regularly. I've also found it frustrating that you can't actually access the previous releases you've sent out. You can see that they've been sent but can't actually see what was sent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend asking to test drive it and see the media database so you can get an idea of how helpful it would be for you.

We're solving the issues of strategically communicating about our work, which is more important than ever before.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Quick, Easy, User-Friendly Service with Fantastic Reps Who Understand the Media Landscape"

What do you like best?

I've used several distribution services, and PRNewswire is one of the easiest to use and offers some of the best customer service with quick responses and reliable support. Someone new might always be helping you, but their accessibility to previous discussions and releases is so simple and accurate, that I am always confident I am getting reliable information. I like that phone calls to review releases and confirm distribution are a standard part of the process to make sure all is taken care of, and I love how easy it is to access different clients for release scheduling on one platform.

What do you dislike?

I haven't experienced many issues with PR Newswire. If I were to request an additional feature, I'd ask for an easy-to-access updated count of types of releases left in existing accounts. (i.e. a photo release, an MNR, etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended- great product!

PR Newswire is used as the single distribution channel for news announcements for all of my clients. All releases I work on, for all of my clients, is handled in one location, making the preparation process simple.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Tiffany C.
Tiffany C.

"Cision/PR Newswire"

What do you like best?

The wealth of information and resources available through Cision. There is so much stuff.

What do you dislike?

The wealth of information and resources available through Cision. There is too much stuff it's overwhelming.

We use PR Newswire to promote press releases from our annual conference. I've realized we're not using any of these tools to it's full potential and need to figure out how to pull relevant data to support continued usage.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Cindy A.
Cindy A.

"Great for Press Release Distribution"

What do you like best?

I like how easy and quick it is to distribute a news release to my intended targets with PR Newswire.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the pricing. Although I was able to get a great package for our company for a pre-determined number of news releases, some with photos or videos included, it is still very expensive.

PRNewswire allows me to easily and quickly distribute timely product and service announcements.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jared B.
Jared B.

"Not perfect but certainly a handy tool"

What do you like best?

I like the deep lists of media contacts that can be gathered with a variety of contact information (i.e. Twitter handle, email address, etc.).

What do you dislike?

The platform is hard to navigate. Not user-friendly. Clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Phone support is available, as needed – I recommend developing a relationship with the designated contact at Cision to get in touch quickly in a time of need.

Media contact lists and news release distribution.

"So easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the PR Newswire's interface is so user-friendly and easy to use. This especially comes in handy when I'm trying to get a release out quickly!

What do you dislike?

Once or twice I have lost my press release because it somehow disappeared after I copied and pasted it into their submission boxes and I continued on to the next screen. This wasn't the end of the world (though would've been pretty bad if I had written in their fields and that was my original copy) but it was irritating.

It's not so much solving as much as it is getting our releases out there before anyone else can. That is why I like PRNewswire the most. It's easy to use and we get our press releases out quickly so we can be the ones people turn to for information about those cases.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Toni S.
Toni S.

"OK PR"

What do you like best?

Cision does well it's meant for and is also relatively stable software. Great support, too!

What do you dislike?

The user interface isn't the most intuitive one. Also, the media databases are sometimes a bit out of date (no wonder, though, as journalists change jobs often)

We mostly use Cision for sending out press releases. Media rooms are a nice - it's good to have all releases of a company in a single web site.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Cision is the best platform to use when building media lists and looking for PR analytics"

What do you like best?

Cision is very user friendly. You are able to search for specific reporters, outlets, topics, etc. It's easy to use when you want to quickly look up a publication or reporter's name, or if you want to build a media list from scratch.

What do you dislike?

I don't think I have anything negative to say about Cision. it's my favorite tool to use when looking up media lists, outlets and reporter's name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best platform out there. I've used others and Cision is definitely much more user friendly and easier to figure out quickly.

The business 'problems' that we're solving are finding targeted reporter's to pitch specific story angles to. The benefits that I realized are that without databases like Cision, we would have a much harder time building relationships with targeted reporters.

User in Entertainment

"Decent Company a Press Release"

What do you like best?

Simple program to send out a wide press release to different news outlets. It prompted for an easy Google search and was easy to review after submission.

What do you dislike?

Wish I could see how many times the release was opened or read and exactly which divisions it was sent to. I can only track so many from Google and if they had an customer interaction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

**Be sure you're aware of where you release is being sent. It's a great initial hub but you may want to do a little more research and investment to obtain more information and stats on your actual content.

Rather than reaching out to individual PR sites, this company will distribute your release to other various news outlets and companies. Again, it's easier than doing so individually but I wish there was a count of read/opened on each site.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Law Enforcement
User in Law Enforcement

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

Cision archived everything you did, so you could go back easily and find releases you had pushed out. You can also put groups in "folders" so you can push it out to that group directly instead of handpicking.

What do you dislike?

I did not like how long it took to do a test. I would have to give myself a few hours and wait for releases to come through to my email to see how it looked. I also did not like the complication of trying to put a photo in a word document and trying to get it to work once you loaded it to cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a trial run to see how you like it first, it's quite a bit complicated even after using it a few times

It has a wide variety of contacts and industries, which is beneficial for companies that don't have contacts.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Agency in Retail
Agency in Retail

"Usable yet complicated to understand the full software"

What do you like best?

Of course the best part about Cision is having thousands of contacts at the tip of your fingers. Filtering lists according to what you need from your writers and what demographics makes networking much easier.

What do you dislike?

Cision is a complicated software and even when you do narrow the list down, there are contacts that sneak through from other genres into your lists. Also, there is an overabundance of information that isn't necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you know how to filter through these lists and don't send press releases to everyone. Select the most beneficial writers to build relationships with.

For my work, I need to be able to create lists of editors and freelancers who are in line with type of content I am trying to publish and Cision creates a database of on-target writers and their contact information.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great Customer Service, Great Analytics"

What do you like best?

The best part by far, is the incredible reach that press releases get through PR Newswire, seconded by the analytics provided in an info graphic of which outlets picked up the press release.

The customer service is also always top notch, and they reach out throughout the year to make sure you are taking advantage of what they have, not just to up-sell you.

They are starting to add integration in with other cision platforms. I also like that they are growing, and new features are being added.

What do you dislike?

Despite the fact that they are owned and powered by Cision, the integration doesn't really exist. There are separate account managers, invoices, and they do not share analytics. Renewing is a confusing, not streamlined process, in which you will be contacted by multiple people, all telling you different things about your account. Always call your account manager if you are confused.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend PR Newswire for announcements to trade publications. There are many targeted national and international lists that you can choose from. They also offer translation services which can be incredibly useful for pitching internationally. For business trades, I think PR Newswire would be the most effective. If you are looking to organically pitch media, PR Newswire is not the right tool.

For large announcements, when it is important that outlets pick up your press release, this is an incredibly useful tool. In terms of sheer metrics, this is the most effective way to put your press release in front of a lot of people.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Stephanie W.
Stephanie W.

"Easy to Use Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create and manage media lists in the system. This helps our organization to target recipients for our news releases by beat.

What do you dislike?

Dislike how everything is an add-on (i.e. social listening and integration)--I feel that enterprise customers should be able to do everything & make Cision their one-stop-shop.

Easy place to send and measure the effectiveness of news releases and also track engagements with members of the media. It's created a lot of efficiencies across our team to have everything centralized in one platform.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Ben W.
Ben W.

"Not good. Fails to deliver business value."

What do you like best?

Very little. We haven't been able to get much value out of it, so hard to say what is "best".

What do you dislike?

There are bugs in the product which are not being fixed in a timely fashion, a UI that looks like it's from 1990, and we haven't been able to get business results we're after. Seems that there is some misrepresentation going on about how many outlets their press releases are "distributed" to. I understand it's a simple distribution service, but even then we saw very outlets syndicate or reprint the article (even verbatim) despite paying for the Premium distribution reach.

The editorial and customer services teams there are also not helpful. Took multiple calls and emails to resolve what should have been very simple issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid at all costs.

Trying to solve for brand awareness. Have not been able to realize much of anything in terms of quantifiable benefits. Seems that PR distribution services are going the way of the dinosaur...

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Lesley W.
Lesley W.

"Well-Rounded Media Coverage Platform"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is able to capture our mentions on print in addition to digital. I also like the separate report emails for both competitor and brand mentions throughout the day.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that only one user can be logged in at a time. Also, we had some issues in the beginning with the formatting of our reports but it has since gotten better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a one-stop-shop, I think Cision is a good choice.

We are able to compile board reports better with showing where we have been mentioned in the media, which saves our department time and resources.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Amanda W.
Amanda W.

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

I love the list management tools. It's so easy to target exactly what kind of journalists we want to read our content. Even better is the fact that it's automatically updated, meaning I don't ever have to worry about it being the latest information available.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be a bit more attractive from an aesthetics perspective. It's not entirely intuitive. Reads more like a database than a user-friendly system. Especially when I need to scroll through a list of a drop-down tab, it's the worst thing ever!

We have been able to get our content in front of the exact people who need it. It has increased our role in the media and has awarded us significant press attention where we otherwise wouldn't have been noticed.

"Pr Newswire Review"

What do you like best?

PR Newswire is a great resource for mass blasting information. It hits a wide reach of outlets that I typically would not think to connect with in a short amount of time.

What do you dislike?

Pr Newswire has never led to any meaningful relationships or placements. If it’s just mentions in a certain number of publications you’re after, this is great. But if you are after larger scale pieces, this would not be the best use of budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pr Newswire is a great resource and their staff is incredible. Any questions I’ve ever had have been answered and with patience and great detail.

It’s a great way to spread news about things such as a new president or ceo. It’s been a great tool for producing a high number of mentions in a timely fashion with minimal effort.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Great Wire Service for Nonprofit"

What do you like best?

The submission process is easy to use, their team will review release and it coves a wide list of media influencers — and takes away from the task of putting together a targeted list. They also have great customer service.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of additional charges that can add up — such as logos — and there is a word count restriction that costs you if you go over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In terms of wire services, I think it's the best value out there.

It helps us get out a release when we might not have the time to develop a targeted list. We also use it as a way to get wider visibility on key issues and news.

"G2Crowd: Cision Survey"

What do you like best?

What's best: The ability to easily locate reporters and editors and maintain a centralized database of media contacts. There is also integration with social media. The lists are also routinely updated.

Plus, the distribution platform works well. Users can track campaigns and press releases for metrics after each distribution.

What do you dislike?

The filters do not always work as one would expect. For example, we sometimes get dupes of articles, although we have selected the deduping filter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand and fully assess your needs.

We use Cision to monitor our brand and our association's interests in the media and to reach out to members of the press.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User

"Cision is great, but not most economical option for small businesses"

What do you like best?

I love that you can count on Cision to keep all of your contacts up-to date.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the price tag. The most basic plan is on par with similar programs; however, Cision does not offer any exporting capabilities. I think to have a plan where you cannot export your lists is a huge turn off because it so limits how you can distribute information but the more advanced plans were out of our budget.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think a more advance plan with Cision is a great way to go for bigger businesses. For small businesses with a smaller budget I would consider competitors who offer the more robust features at a lower cost.

Cision was important to have for managing our PR, but we did not get enough use out of the basic plan to continue using it. Benefits include saving huge amounts of time distributing press releases and managing media lists.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Cision for a vision"

What do you like best?

I like the platform for distributing press releases. It has a 24 hour editorial desk and support is always easy to find if you have any questions.

What do you dislike?

I think that it's best designed for large agencies and companies and not so much start-ups or small business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to someone at Cision about how they can best serve you. They may bring up other products you weren't aware or or thinking about.

It is helpful to schedule and release press releases for news pertaining to our organization and programs. It has expanded our reach a bit.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Matt B.
Matt B.

"Good Database, Good Distribution"

What do you like best?

Good strong database of media contacts, easy to use and navigate distribution system.

Also is easy to add users to receive email notifications, and for the most part, contacts are up-to-date

What do you dislike?

Distribution system is based on points, which is rather difficult to keep up on, especially wire release. I would much rather prefer to just know i have 10 wire releases vs. 172 points and then need to figure out which release to use.

Also, the reporting could use a bit of a build up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look around but if your needs call for a strong database, Cision is a good product for you to consider

Public relations media information outreach; database contacts; direct distribution to local media saves time.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

This is one of the few online press databases and press list-making services. It is a handy tool. It's also nice to be able to submit to PR Web without an additional charge.

What do you dislike?

This database is RARELY ever up to date. My team and I notice errors regularly, many of which include listing press at outlets where they have not been working for YEARS. We also have, more than once, spoken directly to editors and been told that the majority of the 'masthead' listed in Cision in incorrect. This is a very fast-moving industry and a PR professional is only as good as their list. This is not a reliable tool. The interface also needs a massive overhaul. It is not intuitive and does not make it easy to keep notes of relationships and outreach which each press person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If this service were to invest heavily in both an interface overhaul and research to keep it up to date, I would be inclined to give it another try. Until then, it is a dinosaur in the communications industry.

We are using this service for outreach and press release distribution. The distribution and PR Web component is the only benefit.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Agency
Agency

"Reliable and helpful"

What do you like best?

I like that they call me to confirm every press release and their editors are really thorough. They've caught many simple mistakes that saved the client embarrassment

What do you dislike?

Wish the layout of the page where you upload releases wasnt so cluttered. There are only a few things I do each time and having to scroll and scroll through stuff is annoying but wouldnt keep me from staying with them.

Getting company news online and distributed quickly and timely. Also helps establish SEO.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"The best PR software we have available to us right now, but it could be better."

What do you like best?

After having tried a few of Cision's competitors with lower prices, none of them even compare to being as comprehensive as Cision. It's not perfect, but it's the best we have available, especially with tracking down journalist information. There are also really great tutorials for first time users of Cision, which I have my interns complete if they are not familiar with Cision. Cision customer service is also very timely to respond if ever there is an issue or we need additional accounts.

What do you dislike?

It's not as consistently updated as it should be, so we cannot rely solely on Cision to gather the contacts we need. If you're starting out in PR and are still building relationships, this is a huge drawback because it's not 100% reliable. It's capability for sending out press releases is fine, but is not as good as other email marketing software. Also, Cision is pretty expensive. Fortunately, I am at a large company that finds this service valuable. However, it's easy to see why others choose to go with competitors such as Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best software for PR professionals that exists right now. Do not waste your time with other services.

The biggest business problem that Cision solves is having a great database of contacts, and information about what those contacts cover, available at our fingertips. It's also great with finding local media. I will admit that we do not use Cision to its full capability because we do not feel, in our department, that all of the benefits Cision offers are needed.

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Powerful and user friendly"

What do you like best?

Cision is the best of both worlds. It's a powerful solution that is as user friendly as any other product on the market. Most importantly however is that Our clients and stakeholders recognize the name as the most comprehensive database on the market. They know that if its not on cision, it's not there!

What do you dislike?

The price point can be a bit high for smaller organizations, but the sales staff is always willing to work out a solution that fits most budgets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/A

Media monitoring, press release distribution, and database management.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jessi M.
Jessi M.

"great service"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is easy to use and gives accurate information. There is no need to verify the source. I know that Cision is giving me correct information and numbers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that I cannot easily share the information with others like it is possible on social media. I dislike the fact that I cannot easily share the information with others like it is possible on social media

Recommendations to others considering the product

n/a

It goes without saying that public relations in 2016 is far more complicated than it ever used to be. It now involves orchestration, big ideas, communication skills and true strategic thinking.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Maggie H.
Maggie H.

"Review of Cision"

What do you like best?

I love the media list tool, they have really allowed users to search for multiple different things to find the correct journalists you need. Their email distribution is also great.

What do you dislike?

Some of the functionality is a little messy and could use some clean up.

Cision is allowing us to send out multiple press releases a week and we realized the media monitoring emails are very useful for our sales team.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Does its job"

What do you like best?

I love the database. I can almost always find who I am looking for. Also, sending out email blasts and press releases are relatively painless which is always helpful in a fast moving job.

What do you dislike?

I struggle with the latest revamp of Cision. It's not as easy to make lists any longer and inserting links into press releases doesn't always work the first time. I've had to call customer support more than I would like.

Cision is a great way to get in touch with people and it's easy to use!

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Brian B.
Brian B.

"Great way to get across information"

What do you like best?

PR newswire is a great way to receive information from sources, as I am a newspaper reporter, as well as get the info out about your company.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a ton to dislike about it, though like any piece of e-mail it can get annoying sometimes to receive info that looks like spam.

PR Newswire is a great way to push news about something happening in your company that people may not realize. It will then help raise awareness of the event or news item that can raise the profile of the company.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jess K.
Jess K.

"Efficient and easy for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

The tool makes vital information for PR professionals easily accessible. The service team offers a great overview and detailed instructions on how to best maximize your contract. It helps a lot to quickly login, check some information on an outlet and be done. Ultimately, I'm pitching every week, so Cision keeps all of the essential contact information, contact preferences, outlet information, etc. all in one place and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I am extremely pleased with the media database. On the other hand, while the media monitoring tool is very useful, it tends to pull inaccurate coverage for my clients. I share key words and phrases with customer service, but I still tend to be lacking a way for Cision to better narrow down the accurate coverage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you utilize the Cision support team. They take the time to go through the tool with you, answer questions, get you deals and more to ensure it is a seamless process for you. Highly recommend.

Our biggest goal is to complete targeted pitching campaigns for our clients. In late fall, we're building editorial calendars for our clients for the following year through Cision. The tool pulls all of the opportunities that may be of interest to us and then we create our PR plan.

In order to implement our plan, Cision provides us with the necessary resources to pull top influencers in each industry and medium, and pitch them as necessary. In turn, we have garnered great coverage for our clients and are able to provide them with detailed reports thanks to Cision's tracking services.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Tony F.
Tony F.

"Small PR Firm in Arizona using Cision"

What do you like best?

The reliability of the data and the speed at which Cision corrects incorrect data. For all of it's faults it is still the gold standard as media databases go.

What do you dislike?

The cost is enormously expensive for a small agency at $5200 per year.

Search function is not as robust as it should be for the expense, plain and simple. So many contacts don't show up when I type in a keyword and I end up using Google Search for it instead

Not enough email addresses/contacts that can otherwise be found through Google Search - I want a reporters direct line - not some main number to CNN in New York. Also, for Local News the stations should really be broken down by Day side/Night Side/Weekend and the requisite producers listed.

The UX is absolutely challenging in the search function. The toggling and excluding of categories is not intuitive and takes forever to implement. Actually, their UX is terrible, period. That's one thing MyMediaInfo had that was better.

We had absolutely zero responses to some really legitimate breaking news pitches we sent out through Cision's database for Release Distribution. We ended up using Globe Newsire after a week of excuse making to the client, Globe generated four interviews.

It can reduce the amount of time it takes to find a reliable media source.

It has helped in generating news coverage for our clients.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Jake N.
Jake N.

"The most comprehensive PR solution."

What do you like best?

Cision has given me all the tools need to successfully launch a PR campaign, no matter the size. If there is something I want to do, Cision can do it. I primarily use it to manage my relationships with press people so it allows good access to the contact information and tracking of communications.

What do you dislike?

Cision bought Vocus, the other huge player in the industry. Both have been around for a long time and the user interface kind of speaks to their long history; in other words, it looks old. I've had other companies pitch their services and they always say the Cision UI is not as intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The scariest thing about Cision is the price. It is quite expensive. The nice thing about the price is that you only have to pay of for what you use. Cision has a ton of options and a lot is included in this product so that's one way to overcome the price hurdle.

Like I mentioned before, Cision allows me to contact virtually any press person I need and all the major news outlets in the US where I do business. The huge value comes in news coverage garnered through the relationships I build through the Cision database of contacts.

Cision Distribution by PR Newswire review by Natalie H.
Natalie H.

"Working with Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision has been a great resource to work with to distribute press releases, monitor media and provide clients with detailed analytics that show valuable results and room for growth. Cision and Vocus merging has proved to be a great move on behalf of all users.

I especially like the keyword review tool that details how strong/popular words used in a press release are within the industry. This specific tool has been very helpful in allowing us to write for the web and increase our search engine optimization efforts.

Searching for media outlets and contacts is also a very intuitive process through Cision.

The tutorials and webinars offered are also very beneficial in understanding how to overall master Cision.

What do you dislike?

I wish the SEO tools would be more helpful in providing suggestions for alternative words to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Making recommendations based on knowledge of industry for lists, media outlets, contacts, keywords, etc.

With the help of Cision, my company is able to narrow down target audiences and focus our efforts on specific groups that will benefit from the content we are providing. We are able to provide clients with excellent rational behind the decisions we make thanks to the information provided within Cision.

By using this Cision, we are saving our clients time and money.