Cision Monitoring

4.0

Cision Communications Cloud's monitoring capabilities allow you to cut through the noise and understand the impact of your coverage across the largest collection of online, social, print and broadcast channels under one earned media cloud

Work for Cision Monitoring?

Learning about Cision Monitoring?

Cision Monitoring Reviews

Showing 196 Cision Monitoring reviews
Cision Monitoring review by Greg S.
Greg S.

"Gives us everything we need and more"

What do you like best?

One of the things I like most from Cision is the ability to find local reporters and journalists that are talking about our industry - either in recent news articles or on their social media platforms. It gives me a good contact person to start with if it is a new news outlet to our organization.

Beyond that, the customer service is top-notch. Our representative is always lending a hand and helping us to use Cision to its fullest. I also rely heaving on the customer service team when I am struggling to find specific content. I can always rely on them to locate it, allowing me to use the analytics towards my media monitoring.

What do you dislike?

There are times when Cision doesn't always track relevant news articles for us - even if I think we have relevant search terms that should capture it. However, thanks to a fantastic customer service team, the issue is resolved almost 100% of the time. And if certain articles can't be captured, they add the outlet for future monitoring purposes.

For one, it allows us to analyze our media mentions as an organization, but also monitor both paid and earned media placements as well. Cision has also given us the tools to monitor industry-related news that can then be shared throughout our entire organization.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cision Monitoring
Cision Monitoring review by Dave R.
Dave R.

"The standard for media contact research and list building, with room for improvement"

What do you like best?

My firm uses Cision every day for gleaning information on media professionals. With teams pitching media every day, Cision is a tool that's essential for identifying information about relevant outlets, finding the relevant contacts, their locations, and learning more about what they're writing about. Cision is also useful when we're researching a contact or a new media outlet, and we can trust the information in the Cision media database.

What do you dislike?

While we understand the challenge of verifying contact information, it's not always up to date. With an always-growing media landscape, and with the frequency of job changes in the media, Cision may be a good starting point, but users still have to relay on their research expertise to execute successful media relations outreach with the Cision software.

My agency is oriented around a digital-first approach to media relationships and Cision offers a large database of non-traditional contacts. Our Cision tools also solve for understanding our media coverage through clip reporting that pulls outlet information and reach numbers.

What Media Monitoring solution do you use?

Cision Monitoring review by David C.
David C.

"A Great Platform for Connecting You to Members of the Media"

What do you like best?

Cision is an easy to navigate and powerful tool that makes connecting to influential members of the media easy. I have used the company for almost four years now. I implemented it at the last two jobs I've held, and I feel that they give more bang for the buck than their competitors, hands down.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, their research team seems slow (but this is getting better) in updating media shifts. Also, it can be frustrating when that one member of the media you really want to find isn't in their database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I first started using Cision when I worked for Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. I found it to be an invaluable tool. When I went to DG+CO, I convinced them to switch from Meltwater to Cision, and my entire team found the product to be superior. At my current company I am the first in-house publicist they have had, so I requested Cision for my needs here and was able to obtain it. In the four years I have been using Cision, it has only gotten more powerful and more reliable.

I'm using Cision to stay up-to-date with who is writing where. I use their database of members of the media to know whom I should be pitching.

Cision Monitoring review by Matt D.
Matt D.

"Cision is a must have software"

What do you like best?

We use Cision on a daily basis to check for news including our clients, find readership and unique visitor numbers, discover new media contacts and cull media lists.

What do you dislike?

I wish the software moved faster. It would also be great if you could copy press release blasts and just make simple changes (like list to blast or title) as opposed to having to start a whole new release each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use this product if you are doing media for a national market for ease of finding media contacts and tracking your work. Be patient with the software which at times is a bit slow.

Cision helps us ensure we are hitting the right media targets with our campaigns and offering accurate numbers to clients in terms of readership.

Cision Monitoring review by Dan C.
Dan C.

"My Eyes & Ears"

What do you like best?

CISION makes what was once a daunting task, which became an impossible task, now possible--that is, a system that allows me to chart local, regional, national and international media on all manner of search times for the benefit of my client. Further, with access to both PRWEB and PRNEWSWIRE, I have two of the very best tools for disseminating my client's news.

What do you dislike?

Given the explosion of social media, and what seems like a new website every five seconds, it's a daunting task, I know, to keep up with changes in media personnel, etc., so the one "dislike" I have is really not a dislike, but more like a "keep up the good fight"-effort in ensuring media lists are as up to date as possible!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is always seeking ways to serve their clients better!

CISION monitoring is helpful in showing where my client "fits in" within their industry and in comparison with their competitors. It's a useful tool in showing top management that what we are doing in PR/media is making an impact on multiple levels.

Cision Monitoring review by Olivia L.
Olivia L.

"Great experience with Cision"

What do you like best?

I used Cision for social media motoring for my client's influencer business, and I was most pleased with the fast data collection of the account and name mentions across multiple platforms including Facebook, Instagram and Youtube. The features are easy to use and it made my work that much more efficient. Love it!

What do you dislike?

I don't have many dislikes with the software, however I will say it is not entirely reliable with up to date information at all times. This is difficult to address due to the ever changing media landscape at such a rapid pace. Do not rely on Cision to do all of your work for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Cision Monitoring to any company that is in need of an efficient way to analyze data and assist with research from a technical standpoint.

I utilize this software to see where relevant content is being created which allows me to target the correct media outlets.

"Worth it!"

What do you like best?

Cision is such an amazing platform for the Public Relations field and has so many helpful tools and resources for anyone looking for updated media contacts and media alerts. They've since changed their site from the old platform and it's a great way to quickly search for contacts in our area. We use Cision for storing our Media Lists and tracking secured coverage. It's been very helpful for keeping our lists organized and stored safely.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how there is an additional cost for uploading each media list. It can get very costly when you want to add a media list for a specific client because you're only allowed so many before they charge you per contact. The bigger the media list, the bigger the cost. In that regard it can get very expensive, especially for small businesses. I wish there were more affordable options for smaller firms of less than 5 people. If Cision can find more affordable packages, that will help beat out competitors like Meltwater and other sources that provide similar services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in public relations, it's a must! It's an investment that is essential to the growth of business.

We are solving many problems by using Cision including better organization, better service to our clients and a more streamlined process for accessing media emails that need updating. Services like this are essential if you're needing an email for a major publication and it's such an easy way to find/access that information! We've realized that we have a major benefit because we are able to keep our media lists up-to-date and organized much easier! Especially in the field of public relations, contacts are everything and allow us to reach the right audience and the right media. Outlets have fast turnover rates so it can be challenging to keep tabs on everyone at once, but Cision allows us to do that much better than we could have done otherwise. It's a nice resource for giving clients the best service that they pay for. It's an investment that's worth it in the long run.

Cision Monitoring review by Alexia  Z.
Alexia Z.

"Excellent Client Monitoring"

What do you like best?

Our company uses this program to monitor the coverage we have secured for our clients. Overall, we love how much of a timesaver the process is. As long as you plug in the right keywords, you are alerted when relevant press comes through that you would otherwise have to manually find. Our goal is to provide clients with proof of secured coverage as it hits before they find it themselves. We are doing them a disservice if they find the coverage we secured before our team finds it. We really appreciate the service that Cision Monitoring brings and the email notifications of coverage is probably the best feature because you aren't required to log in to see a summary of the day's news. You are sent what is relevant to you so it's, in a way, like a personalized newsletter sent to your email.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes miss coverage that Google Alerts catches which can be frustrating considering Google Alerts is a free service and Cision is such a pricey one. I hope that Cision finds a way to really narrow down those keywords to catch a combination of phrases that relate to our clients. The email notifications work great, but it would be even more helpful to have ALL coverage come our way versus a small chunk of what has been published.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth a shot just make sure you have your keywords and phrases 100% figured out so you don't miss anything important!

We are solving time management by allowing Cision Monitoring to do the backup work for us. This benefits us in many ways but mostly it allows us to focus on key client relations that strengthen the relationships we have and the references we receive. It's a useful program to have available because it allows us to monitor coverage more effectively and streamline the process so that we aren't spending hours of our time searching for the coverage that Cision can find in seconds.

Cision Monitoring review by Mildred M.
Mildred M.

"A Must Have!"

What do you like best?

Cision is a powerful tool that's easy to navigate. It's the little black media book you want to have with you no matter where you go. As of right now, I find it more valuable than its competitors.

What do you dislike?

Some media contacts are outdated. I understand it's difficult to keep up with everyone, but I'm sure they're working on improving this. Most recently I've been experiencing slowdowns and crashes. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up for the available pieces of training. They will help you make the most of the software.

I'm using Cision to stay up-to-date with who producing talk shows. I use the database to better target pitching.

Cision Monitoring review by Mina L.
Mina L.

"Wonderful Product at a Good Price"

What do you like best?

Cision has made it easy for our startup to gain traction and get noticed in the media. Being able to keep our finger on the pulse through Cision enabled us to know the best ways to get our brand out there.

What do you dislike?

So far, we have no complaints! Cision has been a excellent service for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a demo and see what you think. We've been amazed by all that Cision can provide.

We are using Cision to help us find appropriate media contacts and to see what various outlets are currently looking for.

Cision Monitoring review by Kayleigh S.
Kayleigh S.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is easy to use, and allows you to find influencers, journalists and publications that fit into the beat you are looking to target. The platform makes it easy to pull a list including multiple contacts and outlets in the wheelhouse you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be hard to find exactly who you are looking for if it is not written or spelled exactly like it is in Cision. I also don't like that some of the contacts do not have emails listed because they "prefer not to be contacted", which I thought that was a main point of Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Cision is a staple to the PR industry. Sometimes it can be aggravating to find a contact you were looking for only to have their contact information not listed or to find out the contact information is outdated. But, I have also found that Cision has brought new contacts to my attention who ended up being a perfect fit.

In the PR industry, it can be very time consuming to find and contact the right people who cover a certain beat you are interested in working with. Cision does a great job of filtering contacts to help ensure that you are reaching out to the right people about a certain topic.

Cision Monitoring review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"Helpful Media Tool"

What do you like best?

I think the best part about Cision is the usability of the media search tool. All of the different search filters and add-ons make it really easy to customize your search in Cision. I mainly used Cision for building and updating media lists and found it very helpful for finding the right contact when I needed it.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I disliked most about using Cision was that when trying to use the search function, it was too easy to lose all of your search settings. There was only one button that would allow you return to your search without losing all of the settings, I found this to be the most frustrating part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that new users of Cision use the training video feature because it really allows you to understand the platform before jumping right in. The training video was really helpful in getting my feet wet with Cision and understanding what all of the capabilities of the program were.

I think the key business problem that we were solving with Cision was finding the right media contacts for what we are trying to do. We were able to not only create new lists of contacts for tough subjects, but were able to easily update all of our current lists so that we were not targeting any older media.

Cision Monitoring review by Kelsey M.
Kelsey M.

"Good For Agencies, Unnecessary Features for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

Their products for social media monitoring are comprehensive! There are so many layers to what you can do with their tools - the analytics dashboard is impressive.

What do you dislike?

Coming from an agency background, having a tool like this TOTALLY makes sense, especially for big, national or international brands/companies. For smaller companies without much buzz online - I'd say pass on this product. If there's not a lot of online chatter about your company, it's not going to be worth it for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small business, don't do it. It's not worth the price.

It's been very helpful for gauging positive or negative sentiment around our brand - catching tweets about the org that weren't directed to us, articles I may have missed, reviews, etc.

Cision Monitoring review by Troy B.
Troy B.

"Great distribution for News Releases"

What do you like best?

I really like that you can get a large variety of news releases sent directly to your inbox.

What do you dislike?

Even though I can get news releases directly to my inbox, the key words are not great. Certain key words aren't identified properly. For example, I have entertainment industry news as a category and I regularly get things with little to no correlation to my chosen industry. I get political, or financial releases from schools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the money if you can, it might be worth it.

Gets the news I want, it has made me realize that I need

Cision Monitoring review by Janelle A.
Janelle A.

"Monitoring for Improvement"

What do you like best?

Ease of use

Tracking/Accessibility

Finding contact information

Customer support

What do you dislike?

Sometimes navigating the site to find contact info can be overwhelming depending on how the sources are grouped into specific categories or for example if you type in a specific word, any contact info with that word in it will pop up.

Some content is missing

Uploading can take a lot of time

Could use some updates visually

We are tracking complaints to better assist our clients & determine which departments need more training.

Customer feedback in terms of pricing versus competitors

Target customers

Cision Monitoring review by Samuel M.
Samuel M.

"Cision revamped reporting for our firm"

What do you like best?

The analytical power of cision is unmatched. For quarterly and yearly reports all of our data is instantly crunched and put into easy-to-read visuals and graphs. It is great that you can also compare your competitor's coverage and even check to see why SOV changed through top articles. It allows qualitative and quantitative reporting to be done quickly.

What do you dislike?

The integration with google adwords is still a little hard to navigate for some of my clients. It may be because of the client's websites, but some data does not transfer over. Because this is the route that PR reporting is going, I am optimistic about this feature being reworked and perfected.

Reporting, Pitching, and following pieces of coverage.

Cision Monitoring review by Hayley D.
Hayley D.

"Lots of content, need to improve monitoring services"

What do you like best?

Their special features, like Cision City, and the extensiveness of the coverage they pull. They also have fairly accurate reach numbers that help in reporting.

What do you dislike?

Trying to pull reports or tag media. I find it very difficult to search through the media coverage when I'm looking for coverage about a specific campaign. They also missed a lot of relevant media coverage, for example BlogTO in Toronto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend considering what you're going to use it for mainly. If you're trying to do reports or social analytics I would suggest seeking out other options, but if you are just monitoring media with it go ahead!

We used it for media monitoring, using the newswire, and pulling media reports for campaigns. It was beneficial in the amount of coverage it pulled and its extensive news lists.

Cision Monitoring review by Andrea S.
Andrea S.

"Our go-to media database & monitoring service"

What do you like best?

We like the new platform, the easy search capabilities, and the simple email template. We have used Cision for many many years and have been pleased with the service.

What do you dislike?

We are a niche agency, so sometimes outlets/media contacts specific to our industry cannot be found in the Cision database.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best monitoring platforms available.

We are able to build comprehensive media lists for our clients, and send personalized pitches directly through Cision. We also love the analytics that show who opened/clicked the emails.

Cision Monitoring review by Agency
Agency

"Extremely useful and reliable tool that is constantly improving"

What do you like best?

My favourite feature on Cision is that it allows PR professionals and marketers to quickly look up journalist/reporter names, outlets by name, and specific topics/subjects. To add, the ability to combine topics is also another incredibly useful feature.

What do you dislike?

All users must still do their own due diligence - relying entirely on the Cision database for contact information isn't recommended. I write this because I've had instances when contact information wasn't picked up on Cision, but easily found through manual searching.

Cision Monitoring is a comprehensive tool that allows PR professionals like myself to track and audit traditional and social conversation around specific topics that matter to clients - a critical service that needs a reliable database as a main tool.

Cision Monitoring review by Agency
Agency

"Standard tool for a PR agency"

What do you like best?

They have been building the database for years which makes it an unmatched place to locate media contacts. Also, they offer analytic features that can be useful.

What do you dislike?

Cision updated their platform in the last few years which improved the interface but severely decreased functionality. Our firm lost an essential feature when sending out mass emails, in the update you completely removes the ability to check and remove contacts from your mass email that have also received other emails from you. An essential serve of PR is to provide active media relations to clients, and the ability to remove contacts from a mass email so they don't get bombarded with outreach is the crux of building relationships via Cision. We decided as an organization to go back to the old interface and loose new analytical features in order to keep our lists fresh and not unsubscribing because they think we're spamming. I've spoken with Cision about bringing this old feature into the new interface and they currently do not have plans. If Cision would address and bring this feature to the new update I would give a stronger recommendation.

We also subscribe to Meltwater and they update bad/bounced emails much more frequently than the quarterly schedule Cision is currently on. Improving updating frequency would improve my rating.

Cision Monitoring helps us keep track of our client's media hits. We're using the old interface so there are fewer benefits than the newer system, but we use the newsletter feature to get daily updates of our media monitoring. Otherwise, we do not really use the monitoring feature as the layout/design on the old interface is not attractive and there are no instructions online anymore for ways to use the old monitoring features.

Cision Monitoring review by Lucas W.
Lucas W.

"Transitioned to Cision from Vocus"

What do you like best?

Access to tens of thousands of journalists is supremely useful for a PR company. It also does a great job of tracking insights like tone and monitoring where your organization appears in the news.

What do you dislike?

The Interface can be clunky. Contact information for reporters is frequently outdated. The software is also very expensive and customer service is difficult to deal with in my experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly reccomend Cision to public relations groups looking to track analytics and send mass, organized emails.

We used Cision to send out weekly email "blasts" to hundreds, sometimes thousands, of reporters. It was definitely useful in categorizing what content certain reporters covered to send appropriate blasts. We got many good relationships out of this software.

Cision Monitoring review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing

"Despite its flaws, Cision is still the only media contact and list building platform I use"

What do you like best?

I use Cision for any a d all research on media contacts. More importantly, it’s the only platform to find useful and actionable contact information for media professionals, which ensures against spamming. Furthermore, it allow some me to identify specific industry and thematically related media outlets and professionals, as well as their locations and beats, which increases pitching win rates. Simply put, it is the first place I start when I’m pitching content.

What do you dislike?

As is the case with any media contact database, verifying information can be an issue. While rarely inaccurate, sometimes the contact information is not up to date. Therefore, I think Cision requires a certain amount of industry experience, and patience, in order to know how to sort through accurate and inaccurate information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Cision as the starting point for all media outlet research and list building. But it is best used in combination with other programs.

Where to start? Cision helps me find media outlets and professionals on one convenient platform with the click of a button, which allows me to establish relationships with contacts in which I would have never thought to reach out. Perhaps more importantly, I can access outreach data and subject matter information, enabling me to source and contact only the most relevant media outlets. Above all, Cision saves time and pays for itself.

Cision Monitoring review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision's media database is one of the best around. It contains over 100,000 media, influencer and blog contacts updated regularly and easy to search. They provide the best contact database in the industry and their database of editorial calendars makes pitching seamless. Their technical support is easy to deal with a quite responsive.

What do you dislike?

The price is really expensive and at times the software can seem a little bulky. They have a lot of features which you will probably never utilize but they are comprehensive in trying to anticipate any tool you might ever need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a reliable updated source of media contacts then this product is for you. It is a must have for any large scale enterprise PR service.

Cision monitoring allows you to monitor your press coverage throughout their network. It saves and keeps you alerted to any mentions from media sources including tv, print, and internet.

Cision Monitoring review by Destiny E.
Destiny E.

"The best in the biz"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is a trusted brand with significant reach. Cision makes it so easy to pitch and makes it even easier to monitor your reach and really take a look at your company’s traction.

What do you dislike?

The sales team at Cision can be a bit aggressive and the price is a bit higher than other, competitor products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s definitely worth the price tag. They’ve been in the business the longest and will help you build the reputation you want.

We’re building out a better media relations strategy with Cision. We’re using the analytics and their blogs/best practices to spread our initiatives more effectively.

Cision Monitoring review by User

"Great Onboarding, Simple Interface"

What do you like best?

The team that onboards you to Cision is one of the best I've encountered. We've tried a number of competitors and Cision is the best combination of simple and powerful that I've seen across the spectrum.

What do you dislike?

Cision, like most other products structured the way Cision is, doesn't offer broad social listening - there's no 'what's trending now' feature. Likewise, Cision is limited in your ability to think of what you want to keep tabs on. For example, we want to keep tabs on celebrity mothers - but doing so via keyword is tedious and comes back with false hits as often as not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add a trending function - similar to Twitter's top trends. This is a simple addition that will make tons of your users happier.

We keep an eye on our media. As an international organization with projects under different brand names and different countries, Cision makes it easy for us to monitor anything that is written about our organization. We get daily digest emails, and have a simple interface that helps us construct reports whenever we need them.

Cision Monitoring review by Administrator

"The New Platform is Great"

What do you like best?

My team really enjoys working with Cison's new platform. The interface is very user-friendly and houses all of the information that is needed right up front. You no longer have to dig through different layers to get the details that you need!

What do you dislike?

If Cision could find a better way to add general assignment or newsdesks directly to lists instead of only searching for contacts, that would be very helpful.

My organization receives daily news forwards that highlight any mention of our entities when they are mentioned. This saves so much time from having to search manually!

"Cision is great!"

What do you like best?

Cision is great for initial research and allows me to find all types of contacts, publications and news sources for pitching.

What do you dislike?

When researching a publication name or contact name, if you type it in incorrectly, it wont pop up so you have to make sure that all spelling is accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that media contacts and outlets are up-to-date. I don't always have the time to update my media lists and occasionally, I receive bounce backs or emails stating that the contact no longer is with the publication.

We are able to find the right industry publications to pitch for client news and secure coverage.

Cision Monitoring review by User

"Great for smaller agencies"

What do you like best?

Fairly organized and easy to use. Worked really well for our small PR agency which had multiple clients in different sectors so we could keep everything clean and organized. The training and support offered was really great, too.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were some more features but overall very useful for small PR team and nothing major is missing functionality wise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really take advantage of the training and support offered, it's extremely helpful and will give you a leg up, especially in the agency setting.

Cision worked really well for our small PR agency which had multiple clients in different sectors so we could keep everything clean and organized with multiple lists. Cision really helped streamline our workflow even though we were all working on different things at one time - really helpful when you're having a news crisis and it's all hands on deck.

Cision Monitoring review by Pete T.
Pete T.

"Media clips and tracking are exceptional"

What do you like best?

In 2015, we led a primary client on an exhaustive review (that repeats every three years) of available media tracking platforms, including print, digital, broadcast and social media outlets. Cision may be the biggest player in the market and some would say that makes a company slow to respond. On the contrary, we found CIsion's online platform highly usable, customizable and effective -- not to mention they were price competitive. During the past year, their customer service has also been quite good. Tracking and analyzing media sources is a rapidly evolving business and the players change frequently, so I always recommend shopping carefully for what you need. Based on our experience, Cision should be on your short list.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike so much as a recommendation. The platform has so many features that it can be difficult to narrow down what is needed whenever a special project pops up. So a dedicated service rep who understand the clients needs immediately would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go through the demo process and compare with other vendor offerings.

Monitoring media reach and reaction to programs and issues of importance to our client. Results are quickly delivered and analysis is readily available.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great platform for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

Cision is the go to platform for PR professionals. It has all contacts, ability to create lists, find calendars, opportunities, plan pitches... Has everything you need.

What do you dislike?

Cision can be a little outdated. Finding the right publication can be annoying if you don't type it in exactly right. There is so much the platform can do, but daunting to figure out how to use it all. I don't ever see or talk to our cision rep.

When working in PR, cision solves everything. Finding the right fit of publications, finding the right journalist, finding emails... It is exactly what you need.

Cision Monitoring review by User in Online Media
User in Online Media

"Take control of marketing & social media"

What do you like best?

The influencer search allows users to search in real time what influencers are talking about. Streams is really useful for monitoring social and traditional media in one view. The analytics feature is more advanced as well which really helps in tracking/measuring KPIs.

What do you dislike?

Im on the fence about how precise reach is as a measurement tool or share of voice. It would be nice to know if there is a distinction from an errant click, three second view or a complete interaction with the content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for content distribution (i use for press releases) as well as for research. The measurement tools are customizable to your needs with charts and dashboards that are perfect for presentations.

Mostly influencer outreach. Pushing press releases to influencers who may be interested in the subject matter. Cision is really great for this research. It consolodates information so i dont need to search multiple platforms.

Cision Monitoring review by User

"Very useful tool for PR managers"

What do you like best?

Putting $$ value to your PR work has never been easy. It's always been challenging to business owners how much work to put a brand name out there and what it takes to do it. Having a platform that find and collects coverage from your hard work and measures its value is a PR manager's dream. Moreover, you can easily find, evaluate, and reach out to media people and influencers with ease.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are short delays in reporting but it is what it is. Overall, it is still helpful and useful.

Getting list of coverage on time is the challenge. Cision makes it easy and fun. It's exciting when you can go on the dashboard and see them all instantly.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision — A decent software for PR pros"

What do you like best?

Cision is wonderful because it takes a lot of the legwork out of normally time-consuming tasks like building media lists and researching past coverage. It has a powerful search engine full of media outlets, media personnel, and even bloggers/influencers that make a PR pro's life a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the more I have used Cision the more I realize that information is rather frequently out-of-date, so you end up having to cross-check the media contacts you find with another website anyway—which only saves a little bit of time in the long run. The media monitoring service also doesn' always locate the clips necessary, so you spend additional time looking that could be better spent on other tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly research Cision to ensure it has all of the capabilities that you are looking for in a product.

We use Cision to track nearly all of our media coverage for clients instead of compiling summaries by hand — it is a real life-saver at times. The PR analytics within Cision also allow us to tie ROI-related outcomes to our PR methods.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision allows for easy media monitoring "

What do you like best?

I use CIsion for media monitoring for the University I work for. Cision allows for me to easily find and compile news stories and media results that I can send out to followers in a daily email.

What do you dislike?

I often experience bugs and glitches on Cision, which extends the process out, making me lose valuable time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is a great and reliable tool for easily finding and compiling news stories. I use this daily for media monitoring for the university I work for, and have had only a few minor glitches with the system. Cision allows me to get very specific in searches, even down to the date and time I am looking for stories.

Cision helps me to get the word out about my university in a simple way. Instead of having to search through all news results, I can find and compile them all on one simple site.

Cision Monitoring review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"New Cision Platform - Looks pretty, but less functional"

What do you like best?

The new Cision app platform is much more user friendly and intuitive. The platform looks nicer and is faster, and incorporates new functionality that can replace other social monitoring platforms like Muckrack if it works well.

What do you dislike?

The new features are not applicable for all media types and seem a bit underdeveloped (ex. word clouds for media profiles include "the", "and", etc.) I am also missing some features that I used frequently, such as Arbitron ratings for radio stations. I work in a very large company, so I really need a functionality for private lists, which I don't believe exists. The ability to engage on social via the platform is also not practical for a large company.

Finding new media contacts, updating media lists

Cision Monitoring review by Administrator

"Cision - Expensive for a Nonprofit, but Worth It"

What do you like best?

We have tried a number of media databases, and Cision is by far the best. It is up-to-date, and the customer service is top notch. We also like that we can not only find the contact information for reporters, but we can also get information about how to best pitch a reporter.

What do you dislike?

For a small nonprofit, the cost is very high. Otherwise, there aren't negatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go with Cision. It is the gold standard!

Being able to find reporter contact information very easily.

Cision Monitoring review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"PR Reporting with Cision Data"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of use of this platform to easily see clients SOV. It has also been extremely helpful to access publication data for reporting and pitching.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an easier way to do boolean searches within Cision.

We have been able to refine and improve the accuracy of of reporting our share of voice with our clients. There have also been benefits for determining the value of coverage.

Cision Monitoring review by Caleb J.
Caleb J.

"See what the world is saying about you and your business."

What do you like best?

Being able to monitor various keywords with good logic to exclude bad data within the world of online news.

What do you dislike?

You need to get the settings done correctly initially, or you'll have to comb through bad and messy data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to their sales and support staff, as they were very helpful in assisting us in setting things up how we needed it.

Monitoring the online press about our company and CEO within industry context.

Cision Monitoring review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Very expensive for what is on offer, which is very little"

What do you like best?

We really liked the idea of Cision and the sales pitch was very good, and even the demo showed off only the best bits, then we got access to the product tools and it falls very short of the glitzy offering that was pitched. If you do not know a lot about social media marketing then this tool set might seem very good, but there is nothing here you can do for free. Not worth the money

What do you dislike?

The tools fall short of being what was promised and the news wire offering is terrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very careful not worth the money, we will not be renewing

We were tryign to solve social media marketi8ng, but failed to do this with the cision offering

Cision Monitoring review by Max B.
Max B.

"Amazing media research software."

What do you like best?

This is my absolute standby for determining viable media contacts and monitoring real-time coverage. I've gone through quite a few and keep coming back to Cision because of the ease in creating filters to geotarget news reports, and the ability to bring in large numbers of other users to custom lists for their own use. Cision is also one of the few programs I've used that has a functional integrated press release platform without extra fees.

What do you dislike?

Needs to be a bit more user-friendly in list-building - I find myself continually using their (great) Live Help Chat, and attending refresher courses for how to build, save and utilize lists. The difficulty of conducting a search for a specific list of journalists, and then building a list from a subset seems unnecessary given how fluid most of the search and media monitoring is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take advantage of the live help they offer, and the many free trainings for advanced uses like developing multiple country-based lists.

The use of project groups to determine which user has access to which lists is also not intuitive at first, and requires a walkthrough from Cision staff.

I conduct media outreach entirely through Cision, using the platform to identify relevant journalists and conduct direct engagement through e-mail and phone. Even when I am simply monitoring media, I find the ability to create reports and export them to my team to be an incredibly time-saving way of sharing clips and following trending stories.

Cision Monitoring review by Victoria B.
Victoria B.

" Cision Review"

What do you like best?

I work for a think tank so its imporant for hs to know when our scholars are mentioned in the media. I like that Cision will send me emails when my think tank or scholars are mentioned in articles, videos, etc. so I don’t have to spend time seeking them out.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Cision is inaccurate and will send me emails that does not involve my company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/a

We benefit from Cision because we are anle to see the distribution of influence of our sholars in the media.

Cision Monitoring review by Alexis G.
Alexis G.

"Too expensive"

What do you like best?

I honestly used Cision and Meltwater and have NO idea why metlwater is so much cheaper-- is it because Cision is a "brand name" and Meltwater is a start up or less known? They the do EXACT same thing but one is WAY cheaper and its not Cision.

What do you dislike?

The Price! Way too much money -- big money for not a whole lot of bang

Recommendations to others considering the product

get a cheaper product or offer cheaper services! good product but too expensive, not unique enough in the market to be selling it for so much (free product galore people can use instead of this)

It does solves amazing PR and marketing problems. It is a good software just very pricey and not cheap.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Old and new Cision products differ - the newer version is worth the investment."

What do you like best?

Our agency uses both the older and the newer versions of the program. I much prefer the newer edition.

The newer interface links easily to outlet information and seems to have more complete circulation/UMV information. The newer interface also has more advanced and comprehensive searching capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Information is occasionally out of date and requires time-consuming manual verification. The older interface is clumsy and not easy to use.

Cison is the first place I go to look for circulation information and audience type.

"Cut Down on Recap Time"

What do you like best?

I love how this service helps you save time pulling data for marketing purposes at the end of the month.

What do you dislike?

I don't love how making a report isn't exactly easy to do. It makes it hard to explain to interns.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I advise to get all of the channels you want monitored put in on the first day that you implement the service. You're already paying for it, so start now!

I have loved using Cision Monitoring in the past because it stores data in the cloud. Often, before using this service, we would loose data and now it's practically impossible. You can even search based on recent searches.

Cision Monitoring review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Lots of options but high price tag"

What do you like best?

The Cision system has offered us media monitoring, access to a national media database, and the ability to send releases electronically. All the features are user friendly, intuitive and effective.

What do you dislike?

As a nonprofit organization that doesn’t use the platform with the frequency or reach of a private sector company, we would like a deeper discount for the service.

There has been a great deal of turn over with our account representatives as well, unfortunately.

Cision helps organization stay on top of their brand in the media, including on social media. Cision allows access to background and contact information for media contacts. There are many benefits to Cision if you can afford the annual subscription.

Cision Monitoring review by Nancy B.
Nancy B.

"I love Cision/Vocus!"

What do you like best?

Cision has helped make my job so much easier, the reporting is custom to my liking and my account rep Brett Spivey is excellent in customer service and meeting the needs of my organization. The pricing is even perfect! I would highly recommend Cision for their customer service, pricing, reporting and ESPECIALLY their Press Release aspect.

What do you dislike?

I used to dislike my reports because they were hard on the eyes and not too mobile friendly but since Brett and I discussed exactly what I needed and wanted, the reporting is even better now than I expected!

Thank you Cision!

Recommendations to others considering the product

When we had Meltwater I was still using Google News & Alerts, with Vocus/Cision, I do not even go near those things anymore. Definitely worth it, trust you will love it and they are only getting better!

We are finding out more information on the exact things we are looking for due to Vocus media/Ciion reports. We are also in the eye of the media now due to their great PR WEBB Press Releases.

Cision Monitoring review by Laura B.
Laura B.

"Great tool for media monitoring, distribution and list-building, but could use some updates"

What do you like best?

Cision is incredibly useful at finding and pulling coverage from TV, print, and internet outlets across the county. It has the ability to filter the coverage based on a subscription topic as well as other filters including DMA (very awesome), city, region, news type, outlet, etc. This makes it a great tool for making news coverage reports by hand, and it also has the ability to generate beautiful coverage reports on its own--great for showing the impact of PR efforts to management. I also like the ability to search for specific contacts or outlets and know that it is fairly accurate, or at least a good starting point to look for reporters for pitching and media list building purposes. We predominantly also use it to distribute press releases, which is a very easy task and for the most part, formats well.

What do you dislike?

The main draw to Cision is the outdated contact information and lack of updates. Many times, I've had email bouncebacks, where it appears the contact listed for a particular outlet (say, travel feature writer/editor) is no longer with the outlet. If there was a way that Cision would more accurately monitor who works at what outlet, and update outlet contacts so that I may add them to my own lists, that would be great. Additionally, it does not appear that Cision pulls any radio (or at least, none that I have searched for and been able to find). That's a little disappointing, as we often do radio interviews that we know happened and were live, but are unable to find it or listen to it anywhere through Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to do your own independent research on media contacts to supplement Cision, as it is not always accurate or up to date.

I've realized the benefits to consistently updated and regularly monitoring media lists and coverage. Through Cision, we're able to somewhat measure the impact of our PR efforts, as well as keep a pretty good tab on our media mentions and be able to adjust our messaging and targeting accordingly.

Cision Monitoring review by Matthew L.
Matthew L.

"Decent Social Listening Option with Some Drawb"

What do you like best?

No limit on number of queries allowed in workspace.

The "Analyze" tab has some neat features like analyzing differentiating terms between different queries and share of voice.

No limits on bulk exports.

Culls from a variety of different social sources with Twitter firehose access for 25 searches (you might be allocated more under other tiers, not sure).

Very good customer service.

What do you dislike?

Interface can be clunky and unintuitive. Word clouds often don't generate.

Many of the graphs it generates aren't very useful and often don't have any axes.

Not really many options for flashy data outputs like some other more expensive social listening platforms.

One downside to unlimited bulk exports is exports can be bogged down by other Visible accounts pulling tons of large reports.

Poor sentiment analysis, even taking into account that no platform is going to do that particularly well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely serviceable and a good value for its price.

Understanding share of voice and identifying consumer insights.

Cision Monitoring review by Scott T.
Scott T.

"Broadcast Monitoring that Fits My Needs"

What do you like best?

I get daily results that are scrubbed to eliminate much of the chatter that can show up in a word-search and I have the ability to tag those results for tone and category.

What do you dislike?

The tagging process can be time consuming. Bulk tagging does help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every platform has its strengths. Cision fits my needs very well, balancing the features I need while keeping my costs low. I'm not paying for a bunch of cool features that I don't and won't use. You'll know whether it's a best fit for you by doing comparisons on features, coverage and cost.

Using Cision means we don't have to record four stations' newscasts and personally review them. It also allows us to track some radio coverage that we otherwise would have missed.

Cision Monitoring review by Administrator

"A highly valuable tool that evolves with the times"

What do you like best?

The solution is simple, yet able to go deep into monitoring and insights.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes a feature will not work, but support is able to quickly resolve. Their customer service and support teams are legendary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a constantly evolving platform/technology. I surpassed our expectations and experiences, compared to Factiva and Meltwater, other competitors in the space that we used in the past.

Content ROI, deeper monitoring in both tradition and social media universes.

Learning about Cision Monitoring?

* We monitor all Cision Monitoring reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.