Cision

With Cision PR software reach the right audiences and manage impact of coverage across traditional, digital and social media.

Work for Cision?

Video Review

Cision review by <span>Tara F.</span>
Tara F.

Cision

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has multiple categories so you can narrow down exactly what you are searching for by industry, location, specific company, or a journalist by name. It also makes it easier to find someone who writes about a specific topic, like if you want to find someone at Buzzfeed to write a story about your client that is a restaurant, it narrows down Buzzfeed employees into categories like food, entertainment, culture, and politics.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if you misspell a name slightly wrong, for example you don't put an apostrophe in somebody's last name, you will not be able to find that person. This can be tedious because then you have to search several times to find a person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is definitely a beneficial tool for PR firms and anyone else who wants to contact journalists, reporters, or anyone in the media industry. It saves a lot of time from manually searching on Google for contact information, especially since a lot of people don't publicly release that information.

The benefits of Cision is that it saves my company a lot of time when finding journalists contact information or anyone at a specific company's contact information. Before, I would Google and sometimes never find anything or it would take a long time. We are solving problems like being able to find contacts that we didn't even know we needed at first.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cision
Cision review by <span>Vincent C. S.</span>
Vincent C. S.
G2 Gives Campaign

It's not the end all be all

What do you like best?

Cision is a fantastic option for jumpstarting a search; if I need to know what publications exist for a specific beat, this tool serves as a proper resource. General inquiries are where Cision software thrives. Larger publications and non-trades seem to be the best fits for accurate targeting. When drawing closer to the trade publications, things get a bit messy and at times, we end of pitching irrelevant info to reporters.

What do you dislike?

More times than not we only uncover a bunch of non-pr contacts who either switched positions or beats. The more specific the reporter beat, the higher the likelihood that there's a mistake. In theory this could be the ultimte tool, but it lacks timeliness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the contacts with a grain of salt and make sure that you're doing your own research as well. Cision is not the end all be all of media targeting.

Identifying publications to pitch for client news.

What Media and Influencer Targeting solution do you use?

Cision review by <span>Gina D.</span>
Gina D.

Pr essential

What do you like best?

I signed up to Cision quite accidentally but soon it turned into an essential tool for my job. it's an asset. I was able to do fam trips and write one of a kind reportages. I have been invited to events I would never imagine. It's like to be in comfort zone, with Cision you know that you don't have to go crazy to find contacts, someone will do it for you. So when I see in my inbox something unusual I know there is Cision behind. I recommend to all my colleagues to contact someone at Cision and ask to be added to their press list. They are also kind and they contact you if they see something is not right in your profile. Can you ask for more? don't forget that it is meant to save time and provide information that would otherwise only be available to those that have developed personal relationships with those journalists. Cision is the best out there. It's an investment that all Pr should do. As someone who is in the younger or even older, crowd, this is useful to me because when I started, I was unsure about how to reach who I needed to. Helped me immensely! Again don't think twice and go for Cision.

What do you dislike?

nothing to complain, never had any issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's a must have for journalists

essential tool for public relations

Cision review by <span>Mackenzie S.</span>
Mackenzie S.

New Improved(?) Cision

What do you like best?

I like Cision because it gives users a comprehensive database with top-tier, trade, blog and international outlet insights. They do a pretty good job at updating the webiste and I like that the new version gives more background on how to pitch/contact reporters.

What do you dislike?

Okay... I am very used to the old Cision, which was a million times easier to get the email/number of a contact without going to a new page. So I don't like this two-step process. I also don't like that they have now separated a lot of the outlets into individual bureaus. Before I could look up Fortune and get Fortune's bureaus, international and online reporters in one line. Now I need to download them separately. They have also removed some of the filters we used to be able to use, and that is also frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to the program you will like it a lot. If you have used it in the past and will restart using it, be aware that the changes they have made make the program less user-friendly.

We use Cision to pull media lists to pitch and as a source to get outlets insights, like circulation. I don't think we "realized" anything, we know what we were paying for.

Cision review by <span>Julie R.</span>
Julie R.

Great database, but not always up to date

What do you like best?

I use Cision for its media database and press monitoring. It's a great place to start when building a comprehensive media list, complete with contact information and social profiles. I love that the reporting shows media impressions, PR values, and gives many options for fields to include.

What do you dislike?

Many times, the data is not completely up to date, or some press that I've worked with are not in the database at all. It can be hard to track moves or new writers. Additionally, the press reports are great but not as thorough as a search on google. I love seeing the PR values, but they sometimes seem so exaggerated it's sometimes hard knowing what is fact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is one of the most complete databases out there. However, some media contacts can be out of date - which I know they are working on making that more in-the-moment. Also, I love press monitoring, but not all of my actual earned coverage will show up!

Cision is a great media database. The search is vast and includes so many contacts that might not be searchable on regular social media profiles or on media websites. I also have recently been taking advantage of the press monitoring - which is really helpful but not as complete as I'd like it to be.

Cision review by <span>Madison J.</span>
Madison J.

Cision - Searching for Contacts Made Easy

What do you like best?

Cision is great when pulling large contact lists of reporters, editors etc. It makes it easy to contact specific people and search for publications. It has narrowing search features which help get the right person. I also like how you can export the contact list as an excel sheet which makes the process a lot easier since that is usually the next step in making a media list.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have with Cision is that it only allows one user at a time to use the program. At an office focused on media and communication, it is imperative to use Cision on most projects, so when only one person is able to log in, it causes problems and slows down the process. Most of the time, colleagues kick each other out in the person mid-search. This loses important searches and makes it very difficult to work efficiently when researching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Cision when you need to send out large press releases. It's also great when you need to narrow searches by publication topic, contact topic etc.

It is beneficial when you want to contact someone directly instead of going through their website or general email to contact them. It's more direct and usually gets more responses. Some contacts even put how or what they prefer to be contacted about which helps keep a good relationship.

Learning about Cision?

* We monitor all Cision reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.