Cision

With Cision PR software reach the right audiences and manage impact of coverage across traditional, digital and social media.

Work for Cision?

Learning about Cision?

Cision Reviews

Ask Cision a Question
Showing 1083 Cision reviews
Cision review by <span>Jenna L.</span>
Jenna L.

"Cision is vital! "

What do you like best?

I love the ease and user friendliness of Cision. I've used other similar products in the past and we've stuck with Cision for a few years now. I greatly appreciate the tagging system and ability to pull reports quickly. I really like the auto tagging feature where I can keep track of my campaigns or crises easily and have reports immediately for my supervisor/client.

What do you dislike?

It's an investment, which isn't a problem for larger companies, but can be prohibitive for smaller companies. In addition, sometimes it's difficult to get nitty gritty data. I wish some features were included in a general cost, rather than being a la carte.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into multiple platforms and see how their reporting/analytics compares for what you are specifically looking for in terms of reports.

The issue of monitoring coverage is solved with Cision. The ease of keeping coverage in one place where it's easy to pull monthly or annual reports including charts and graphs makes my life easier as a PR professional. I greatly appreciate the support chat function on Cision as well. If I'm ever having issues with the system or have trouble with the way something was categorized, the chat function ensures I'll be able to quickly have the issue resolved and be able to find out why something happened the way it did.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Cision
Cision review by <span>Tara F.</span>
Tara F.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has multiple categories so you can narrow down exactly what you are searching for by industry, location, specific company, or a journalist by name. It also makes it easier to find someone who writes about a specific topic, like if you want to find someone at Buzzfeed to write a story about your client that is a restaurant, it narrows down Buzzfeed employees into categories like food, entertainment, culture, and politics.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that if you misspell a name slightly wrong, for example you don't put an apostrophe in somebody's last name, you will not be able to find that person. This can be tedious because then you have to search several times to find a person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is definitely a beneficial tool for PR firms and anyone else who wants to contact journalists, reporters, or anyone in the media industry. It saves a lot of time from manually searching on Google for contact information, especially since a lot of people don't publicly release that information.

The benefits of Cision is that it saves my company a lot of time when finding journalists contact information or anyone at a specific company's contact information. Before, I would Google and sometimes never find anything or it would take a long time. We are solving problems like being able to find contacts that we didn't even know we needed at first.

What Media and Influencer Targeting solution do you use?

Cision review by <span>Vincent C. S.</span>
Vincent C. S.

"It's not the end all be all"

What do you like best?

Cision is a fantastic option for jumpstarting a search; if I need to know what publications exist for a specific beat, this tool serves as a proper resource. General inquiries are where Cision software thrives. Larger publications and non-trades seem to be the best fits for accurate targeting. When drawing closer to the trade publications, things get a bit messy and at times, we end of pitching irrelevant info to reporters.

What do you dislike?

More times than not we only uncover a bunch of non-pr contacts who either switched positions or beats. The more specific the reporter beat, the higher the likelihood that there's a mistake. In theory this could be the ultimte tool, but it lacks timeliness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the contacts with a grain of salt and make sure that you're doing your own research as well. Cision is not the end all be all of media targeting.

Identifying publications to pitch for client news.

Cision review by <span>Gina D.</span>
Gina D.

"Pr essential"

What do you like best?

I signed up to Cision quite accidentally but soon it turned into an essential tool for my job. it's an asset. I was able to do fam trips and write one of a kind reportages. I have been invited to events I would never imagine. It's like to be in comfort zone, with Cision you know that you don't have to go crazy to find contacts, someone will do it for you. So when I see in my inbox something unusual I know there is Cision behind. I recommend to all my colleagues to contact someone at Cision and ask to be added to their press list. They are also kind and they contact you if they see something is not right in your profile. Can you ask for more? don't forget that it is meant to save time and provide information that would otherwise only be available to those that have developed personal relationships with those journalists. Cision is the best out there. It's an investment that all Pr should do. As someone who is in the younger or even older, crowd, this is useful to me because when I started, I was unsure about how to reach who I needed to. Helped me immensely! Again don't think twice and go for Cision.

What do you dislike?

nothing to complain, never had any issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's a must have for journalists

essential tool for public relations

Cision review by <span>Mackenzie S.</span>
Mackenzie S.

"New Improved(?) Cision"

What do you like best?

I like Cision because it gives users a comprehensive database with top-tier, trade, blog and international outlet insights. They do a pretty good job at updating the webiste and I like that the new version gives more background on how to pitch/contact reporters.

What do you dislike?

Okay... I am very used to the old Cision, which was a million times easier to get the email/number of a contact without going to a new page. So I don't like this two-step process. I also don't like that they have now separated a lot of the outlets into individual bureaus. Before I could look up Fortune and get Fortune's bureaus, international and online reporters in one line. Now I need to download them separately. They have also removed some of the filters we used to be able to use, and that is also frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to the program you will like it a lot. If you have used it in the past and will restart using it, be aware that the changes they have made make the program less user-friendly.

We use Cision to pull media lists to pitch and as a source to get outlets insights, like circulation. I don't think we "realized" anything, we know what we were paying for.

Cision review by <span>Julie R.</span>
Julie R.

"Great database, but not always up to date"

What do you like best?

I use Cision for its media database and press monitoring. It's a great place to start when building a comprehensive media list, complete with contact information and social profiles. I love that the reporting shows media impressions, PR values, and gives many options for fields to include.

What do you dislike?

Many times, the data is not completely up to date, or some press that I've worked with are not in the database at all. It can be hard to track moves or new writers. Additionally, the press reports are great but not as thorough as a search on google. I love seeing the PR values, but they sometimes seem so exaggerated it's sometimes hard knowing what is fact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is one of the most complete databases out there. However, some media contacts can be out of date - which I know they are working on making that more in-the-moment. Also, I love press monitoring, but not all of my actual earned coverage will show up!

Cision is a great media database. The search is vast and includes so many contacts that might not be searchable on regular social media profiles or on media websites. I also have recently been taking advantage of the press monitoring - which is really helpful but not as complete as I'd like it to be.

Cision review by <span>Madison J.</span>
Madison J.

"Cision - Searching for Contacts Made Easy "

What do you like best?

Cision is great when pulling large contact lists of reporters, editors etc. It makes it easy to contact specific people and search for publications. It has narrowing search features which help get the right person. I also like how you can export the contact list as an excel sheet which makes the process a lot easier since that is usually the next step in making a media list.

What do you dislike?

The biggest problem I have with Cision is that it only allows one user at a time to use the program. At an office focused on media and communication, it is imperative to use Cision on most projects, so when only one person is able to log in, it causes problems and slows down the process. Most of the time, colleagues kick each other out in the person mid-search. This loses important searches and makes it very difficult to work efficiently when researching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Cision when you need to send out large press releases. It's also great when you need to narrow searches by publication topic, contact topic etc.

It is beneficial when you want to contact someone directly instead of going through their website or general email to contact them. It's more direct and usually gets more responses. Some contacts even put how or what they prefer to be contacted about which helps keep a good relationship.

Cision review by <span>Marty B.</span>
Marty B.

"Cision: For Media Monitoring and Outreach"

What do you like best?

Having the articles and coverage in the same place as the database is essential. This efficiency results in better media interaction.

What do you dislike?

Setting up filters and dialing in key words to achieve better coverage can be time consuming. Also, some coverage is better of the printed publications. There are some limitations with content behind paywall too - even for publications that are "included" in your account's coverage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are comfortable with the range of coverage and that the print version is the primary coverage zone. There can be additional charges to include some of the major dailies on top of the package fees.

We have been solving the need to reach more media and increase the earned coverage. This has resulted in better overall coverage of our stories and pitches.

Cision review by <span>Dianna A.</span>
Dianna A.

"Easy Platform, Great for Distribution, Fun Community"

What do you like best?

Press release distribution down the wire is very simple and straightforward, Can quickly and easily build reports in Excel format or by dashboard with great charts for your presentations. Cision City is the community platform where you can participate in discussions, ask questions and complete fun challenges for prizes. Very responsive and quick Customer Care.

What do you dislike?

They are still working out some small issues on the new platform in terms of reporting, such as building very specific reports - you can still get them done, just takes a few extra steps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent platform for press release distribution and reporting. Haven't touched the social aspect, but definitely looking into it.

Easily getting information and press releases out to the masses, building reports for higher-ups in the company to show progress of news coverage and distribution, easily communicating with staff to solve problems.

Cision review by <span>Lauren S.</span>
Lauren S.

"Useful PR and media relations tool"

What do you like best?

Cision has been a great tool and very user-friendly! The team has been more than helpful in training us and tailorign that training to our specific needs. The database has been a time-saver, and we love the media monitoring!

What do you dislike?

Aside from a few glitches here and there, there is not much to dislike about Cision. We use the media list a lot and it helps us be able to send pitches to the right reporters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with your rep who can be very helpful. We had ours come to our office and teach us about features we didn't know. Their media database is the best and accurate and I've used many systems.

We are a small media relations team and we use Cision to search for an pitch journalists across the country.

Cision review by <span>Anisha J.</span>
Anisha J.

"I have used it to prepare media lists"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is the massive range that the database covers. They have just about every publication you can think of. Also the detailed information about each publication's statistics and their reporters is amazing. They list - the beats reporters cover, how much does an ad cost, what is the circulation rate, etc. All these numbers can help you plan which publications you want to reach out. It also helped me to reach specific reporters who would be more interested in carrying out certain stories.

What do you dislike?

The search is not exactly user-friendly. You need to put in the exact name of whatever it is you are looking for. Even if there is a slight mistake, the search box will say - no matches found. This is one feature that I find inconvenient, I would have preferred if they would at least show some search options that if not exact are close to what you are looking for, something like Google search.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest being patient. It takes time to get the hang of it. At first I found it pretty complicated but now I am fairly comfortable with it.

I can easily figure out which reporters and publications to reach out to by reading which topics they cover. It also provides me with all the contact information, which makes reaching out so much easier.

Cision review by <span>Kayleigh S.</span>
Kayleigh S.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is easy to use, and allows you to find influencers, journalists and publications that fit into the beat you are looking to target. The platform makes it easy to pull a list including multiple contacts and outlets in the wheelhouse you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be hard to find exactly who you are looking for if it is not written or spelled exactly like it is in Cision. I also don't like that some of the contacts do not have emails listed because they "prefer not to be contacted", which I thought that was a main point of Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Cision is a staple to the PR industry. Sometimes it can be aggravating to find a contact you were looking for only to have their contact information not listed or to find out the contact information is outdated. But, I have also found that Cision has brought new contacts to my attention who ended up being a perfect fit.

In the PR industry, it can be very time consuming to find and contact the right people who cover a certain beat you are interested in working with. Cision does a great job of filtering contacts to help ensure that you are reaching out to the right people about a certain topic.

Cision review by <span>Jamie C.</span>
Jamie C.

"Helpful Media Tool"

What do you like best?

I think the best part about Cision is the usability of the media search tool. All of the different search filters and add-ons make it really easy to customize your search in Cision. I mainly used Cision for building and updating media lists and found it very helpful for finding the right contact when I needed it.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I disliked most about using Cision was that when trying to use the search function, it was too easy to lose all of your search settings. There was only one button that would allow you return to your search without losing all of the settings, I found this to be the most frustrating part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that new users of Cision use the training video feature because it really allows you to understand the platform before jumping right in. The training video was really helpful in getting my feet wet with Cision and understanding what all of the capabilities of the program were.

I think the key business problem that we were solving with Cision was finding the right media contacts for what we are trying to do. We were able to not only create new lists of contacts for tough subjects, but were able to easily update all of our current lists so that we were not targeting any older media.

Cision review by User

"Great for Press Release Distribution and Analytics, Needs More Social Integration"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily distribute press releases down the wire and get analytics for any and all coverage. Gone are the days of manually building clip reports - Cision does that and builds you a customizable analytics dashboard for these hits.

What do you dislike?

There aren't many options in terms of social. You can get analytics, but what about finding relevant influencers and followers? This could definitely help marketing social media experts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool to use for press release distribution and can easily get your news out there for others to see. The templates they can create for your analytics are also very convenient and easily downloadable and have helped me build reports for my teams that can be used on presentations as well. Not sure how to use it for social media effectively, but hopefully, I will learn.

Easily distributing news and building reports for our teams quickly and effectively that are easy to digest.

Cision review by <span>Jake D.</span>
Jake D.

"Publicist, using it for PR distributions"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to filter through results easily. I can get very specific, very quickly. When working with multiple clients and press releases, this is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

When creating a distribution list in Vocus, I wish the numerical amount would adjust according to the amount of people currently selected. To be more specific, if "automobiles (45)" is truly listing 45 people, then that number makes sense. But if the number is actually 25, the number next to automobiles should be adjusted. It would save me time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are definitely minor details that can be worked out, but i'm confident that the Cison team will continue to improve the service. My interaction with customer service has resolved issues. The platform is easy to navigate after some initial practice time spent.

We're able to easily create a list of potential publicity opportunities and share helpful data with clients. This adds empirical evidence to an otherwise vague type of work. Clients enjoy seeing the graphs.

Cision review by <span>Anna S.</span>
Anna S.

"Necessary for the PR business, but could be improved "

What do you like best?

Cision usually has the information you need. It has reporter contact info, it's usually up to date, and it will usually tell you if a person has moved publications. It can also be helpful at finding reporters you might not have considered.

What do you dislike?

It is by no means exhaustive or totally up to date. Many many times I've found information that was out of date or just incorrect, and very often vital information won't be included. I understand not all reporters want to share their cell phone numbers, but it makes for a very incomplete service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think hard about the cost. It's still very expensive, and if you have the time, you can find nearly all this information yourself.

We have to get in touch with reporters, and Cision makes that easier. It's still a necessity for the PR business, as annoying as it can be sometimes.

Cision review by <span>Kelsey M.</span>
Kelsey M.

"Good For Agencies, Unnecessary Features for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

Their products for social media monitoring are comprehensive! There are so many layers to what you can do with their tools - the analytics dashboard is impressive.

What do you dislike?

Coming from an agency background, having a tool like this TOTALLY makes sense, especially for big, national or international brands/companies. For smaller companies without much buzz online - I'd say pass on this product. If there's not a lot of online chatter about your company, it's not going to be worth it for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small business, don't do it. It's not worth the price.

It's been very helpful for gauging positive or negative sentiment around our brand - catching tweets about the org that weren't directed to us, articles I may have missed, reviews, etc.

Cision review by <span>Kate S.</span>
Kate S.

"Cision is very helpful when finding media contacts. "

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is very straightforward. At my PR agency, we need to find reporter's email addresses and phone numbers. Cision is incredibly user friendly and works well for what we need it for.

What do you dislike?

I don't love the press list building function. I typically build my own press lists rather than utilize their online structure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is very helpful for finding reporter's contact information. I don't use it for many of the other things it offers, but I would assume they're doing a great job all around.

Prior to Cision, we had to call news outlets in order to locate reporter's email addresses. Now, we can simply type in the name of the reporter we're looking for and quickly and easily find their contact information.

Cision review by <span>Abby M.</span>
Abby M.

"Easy to Use All-in-One PR Platform"

What do you like best?

The way the platform is organized makes it quick and easy to find what you're looking for or looking to do (ex. send out an email release or wire release). Also the live webinars are really helpful!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you need to follow up a Cision rep on a question you submitted via email or phone call.

Cision helps us get the word out about our organization and allows us to easily track who is viewing our press releases and what kind of an impact it's having. Also we use the editorial calendar and Help a Reporter Out (HARO) to proactively reach out to the media and pitch story ideas and establish new relationships.

Cision review by User in Internet

"Cision - reliable and organized."

What do you like best?

My favorite feature Cision has to offer is the extent to which press/media contacts are organized and updated. Contacts are sorted in a variety of different ways (product category, publication, industry, etc.) that make them easy to find and keep tabs on. In addition, every featured media entity is also organized by department, where you can then find up-to-date contact information of all members of that specific team within the organization.

What do you dislike?

For a beginner, the platform can be difficult to navigate. Cision has a handful of different features, and the interface can appear cluttered at times. I think the data can be organized and labeled in a more user-friendly way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your goals are to target strategic media and press contacts, make sure you approach Cision with a strategy and know exactly what it is that you're looking for. There's a lot of data and it can be easy to get lost if you're not strategic in your approach.

Cision is a one-stop shop for any and all relevant press and media contacts that would be useful when targeting specific public relations efforts.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

I LOVE having the webinars readily available. They walk you through step-by-step, and they also have live webinars where you can ask questions as you go along. It's also easy to get in touch with Cision employees in case you have any questions. Our account manager calls us about once a month to check up on us, which is really nice. He often does one-on-one webinars and walk-throughs if we need help.

What do you dislike?

Don't really have anything to complain about at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! We have had a lot of success with this platform and have gained many new members to our organization through it. It's gotten our name out there to more potential members of our organization, or at least helped us with distributing information to those who need it.

Trying to pitch stories to reporters to get out name out there. We've had a lot of media recognition with this platform. We will eventually also connect social media to Cision, so hopefully that will help our company.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is a terrible choice for media monitoring"

What do you like best?

I guess if asked what I like best, I would say the contact search is probably it. I will say Cision manages to keep their contact database mostly up-to-date and relevant. The DMA feature when searching is very relevant and something Meltwater could not offer when I was a user of that product.

What do you dislike?

This is not a true user-friendly experience. You must contact your Cision rep to update your search terms, which is just silly. I also get TONS of totally irrelevant media clips in my daily reports. Also, half the media clips don't link to anything because they came from LexisNexis, which you need a separate login for (and I believe a separate paid subscription.) I came from a company using Meltwater and I can attest that Meltwater is light-years ahead and way better, even if they have some of their own glitches--at least you can change your own search terms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly, highly recommend that you take your time and see if you can do a live trial of Cision before signing a contract. We did a webinar with them at my previous company and I thought Cision looked awesome and like it would fit our needs better than Meltwater--I couldn't have been more wrong. We ultimately ended up sticking with Meltwater due to Cision's price, and thank goodness for that. Cision is like a barely-functioning, overpriced dinosaur compared to Meltwater. I probably sound like a paid ad, but seriously my experience has been that bad with Cision.

We use Cision for media monitoring. I honestly think we're wasting our money. We use a separate program to send out news releases because Cision is already so expensive. I don't think we're solving any problems or gaining any benefit by using this product. I just really have been unimpressed by how non-user-friendly this program is and how much it underperforms the competition.

Cision review by User

"Go-To Media Monitoring Service"

What do you like best?

I like how seriously Cision takes reports that contact information is out of date or incorrect. I've reported a few incidents and each time they were resolved within an hour or two. Compared to Meltwater, Cision has been able to pull articles Meltwater wouldn't have been able to - Cision is a more comprehensive platform. I'm a big fan of Cision City and am grateful to learning opportunities the Cision City Challenges represent. I also appreciate the webinars Cision offers when new product updates are rolled out Ex Matterhorn Release.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you can only add a piece of coverage to one campaign. I also dislike that certain features like Publicity Value are not automatically turned on in your account and as a result, require users to contact customer service to get it changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend exploring Cision before your current media monitoring service expires because that will highlight all the ways Cision is better and how Cision will make your life easier. If you switch to Cision, I recommend leaving a bit of overlap between your old media monitoring service and starting Cision so you can ensure you have the right search terms and contacts built in Cision lists.

I use Cision to devise media lists for pitching and monitoring coverage mentioning my workplace. Through Cision I track my campaign activity and create reports to share with team members. I've also been able to discover other tips for media pitching and communication efforts through the case studies and challenges in Cision City.

Cision review by <span>Heather H.</span>
Heather H.

"Excellent tool for finding exposure for your brand"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to sort through contacts multiple ways and save them to different lists. It's helped me build a strategy for contacting reviewers as well as media for specific pitches. I've also gotten a lot of use out of HARO and the editorial calendars.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to see a snapshot of social information. Anything to speed up the process of sifting through all of the contacts is always appreciated!

We use Cision to help us find product reviewers and media contacts to pitch. I also use it to keep an eye out for stories pertaining to our industry.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good for a wide reach, poor for niche targeting"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision is large enough to have reporters listed from most publications. It's helpful for general outreach, and pulling reporters from various countries and subject matters. It is also quite reliable for reporter contact info.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no way to get down on a granular level. For me, TechNews is much better at this. I really wish you could search cision by keywords in reporters articles. Or if there was a way to see recent articles by each reporter in cision to see if they are a fit for the media list. Cision only pulls reporters by general subject matter, such as transportation. But what if I want to find reporters that cover connected cars specifically? There's no way to do that. I almost never use cision to build my media lists because it's too broad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having Cision is a must in the PR industry, but that doesn't mean you should use it for every PR function. Other services may be better fits for individual activities.

Cision helps me locate reporter contact info, as well as outlet reach. That's mainly what I use it for, although I do sometimes use it when I need to build large general media lists. At my company we mainly use other more niche services for the other ones that Cision provides. For example, Instead of using its mass emailing, we use YAMM (Yet another mail merge - it's free). And instead of using it for media monitoring, we do that by hand (Cision doesn't catch everything) and have our own internal website to log it in. Overall we do more targeted pitching and Cision is not a fit for that, unless you find the reporter elsewhere and just need their contact info. I have to vet all reporters Cision pulls for me manually.

Cision review by <span>Jan L.</span>
Jan L.

"One of the better media tools but still just ok"

What do you like best?

I like being able to research journalists and send media pitches directly. It's nice to be able to view a journalist's profile and get their contact info. I had a story come up that had our company name wrong. I was able to find the journalist and send him a note with a correction right away.

What do you dislike?

Everything is separate. If I want analytics, I have to buy that. If I want social, I have to buy that. I also can't find journalists by keyword on a topic they may have written on in the past. Meltwater has that feature and I really like it (despite Meltwater's heavy pressure sales techniques, the service is really good).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Years ago, I used cision exclusively and hated it. You needed a degree in programming to get a list put together! Now, it's much, much easier to use so it's a step in the right direction. However, I'm still not over the moon about Cision. It's just OK. It gets me a list of journalists based on demographics and some criteria but it really doesn't allow me to really research journalists based on what they're writing about. We all know that beats change and they're not consistent. Searching a keyword or phrase and seeing who has written about that is such a better way to target. I guess I'm still in the Meltwater camp but have been given Cision as a tool the company uses. I have to say I'm just not impressed and it's just OK.

I had to do several regional pitches for our national product and it was easy to find journalists by region. I find in the B2B setting, it's tough to find the right journalists in niche audiences. It takes research and Cision is one of the better choices. I still prefer Meltwater EVEN with their pushy sales.

Cision review by <span>Greta S.</span>
Greta S.

"Worth It"

What do you like best?

We've used Cision for many years -- with exception of a brief break to try Meltwater -- and while it has it's downfalls, it's been the best option for our firm. It's a necessary tool for media relations.

What do you dislike?

It seems that oftentimes contacts aren't updated in a timely manner; however, at minimum, Cision provides a good starting point for research.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it knowing it's not perfect but a great resource for getting started to cross-checking prior research. We use it daily and across all media verticals. We've tried other tools, and Cision seems to be the most accurate and user-friendly.

It helps us build comprehensive press lists for our media relations efforts.

Cision review by <span>Marya P.</span>
Marya P.

"Cision is great for finding contacts, but don't forget to do your own research"

What do you like best?

I love using Cision to find outlets in specific markets. From there, I research on my own to find their contact info, as I often find Cision's contact information to be out of date. BUT, I absolutely love it to find specific types of outlets in various markets. Cision is especially helpful when trying to reach media not in your area.

What do you dislike?

Like I said above -- Cision's contact information can be out of date. When I was first starting, I was getting a lot of bounceback emails and quickly learned to use Cision to find the outlet, but use my own research to find the specific media member's contact information.

Working for a PR agency with global and national clients, it's sometimes hard to know media that are not in your regularly target market. Cision is great for building media lists for these clients. I also use Cision to gain insight into outlets in specific industries, which is very helpful when working with multiple-industry clients.

Cision review by <span>Kristin F.</span>
Kristin F.

"Simple yet effective"

What do you like best?

I love being able to control where my PR gets picked up. I like having the tools provided by Cision to contact specific publications. The account manager is super friendly and she even offers to look over our PR to give ideas and recommendations. We have been working with Cision for 3 years and although our needs change our account rep is upfront about upgrading to larger packages and every time we expand our team she gets on the phone and does a walk-through with our team to refresh our current team and answer questions for new members

What do you dislike?

It's a little pricey but worth every penny if you use every feature. I wouldn't recommend this to a small company who just wants to do one or two PR blasts.

We have a specific Niche and its great to have the contacts to publications to talk and network our way into what they want to see.

Cision review by <span>Hayley D.</span>
Hayley D.

"Lots of content, need to improve monitoring services"

What do you like best?

Their special features, like Cision City, and the extensiveness of the coverage they pull. They also have fairly accurate reach numbers that help in reporting.

What do you dislike?

Trying to pull reports or tag media. I find it very difficult to search through the media coverage when I'm looking for coverage about a specific campaign. They also missed a lot of relevant media coverage, for example BlogTO in Toronto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend considering what you're going to use it for mainly. If you're trying to do reports or social analytics I would suggest seeking out other options, but if you are just monitoring media with it go ahead!

We used it for media monitoring, using the newswire, and pulling media reports for campaigns. It was beneficial in the amount of coverage it pulled and its extensive news lists.

Cision review by <span>Emma C.</span>
Emma C.

"Excellent way to build strong lists."

What do you like best?

Easy to search; love the influencer search capability; saved searches and monitors are great for keeping track of clients. Finally, their team is usually very responsive.

What do you dislike?

Influencer searches could be stronger. Why only include Twitter? How do you really measure influence? If they're measuring klout, or other vague social media influence metrics, there should be more than one site connected. Especially LinkedIn. That could be a great integration- if journalists start to leverage LinkedIn more.

Searching for coverage could also be more easily filtered. Having individual dashboards for clients would make sifting through the mountains of articles way easier. Cision already saves time by keeping everything centralized- making that experience even better would blow it out of the water!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really easy to use for list building! Trustworthy as well. I don't think their social tool is as strong, but it could still be beneficial to a company looking to monitor all of their media in one place. (Social included!)

Building strong, relevant lists for clients quickly. Having easy information available so readily can be helpful with clients that require a lot of attention and outreach.

"Cision for Media Pros"

What do you like best?

There's a ton of different outlets and reporters that are available within Cision, as well as quite a bit of information about each. It's nice having contact information for the outlet and the reporters easily available in one place, it removes the need to track down information on an outlet's website. Additionally, the analytics that are available within Cision are helpful - impressions, reach, circulation, etc. While often this information can be found on an outlet's website, having a tool that has everything in one place makes finding the information for reports for clients or for developing media lists simple and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

While Cision does have a massive variety of data and information on reporters and media outlets (print, broadcast, digital), it can sometimes be outdated and missing information. Sometimes reporters have moved on to other outlets and information is incorrect, or contact information is missing on a specific reporter or outlet. This can be frustrating but there are typically other ways of finding the information so it's not impossible to access. Also, similar services offer some things Cision doesn't, for example the ability to see what reporters or outlets are sharing on social media.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really determine what your needs are and compare with other tools. While I like Cision, I think other tools may offer more.

Cision helps us develop media lists and find contact information for media outlets and reporters, as well as find data and information that can be used in analytics reports (impressions, circulations, etc.).

Cision review by <span>Fanny Carolina Z.</span>
Fanny Carolina Z.

"Cision - A Must Have Tool in Communications"

What do you like best?

A must have tool for any marketing, PR, advertising, or communications agency targeting press and influencers. It's a great resource for finding contacts. The layout also makes it very easy to use and to monitor specific media hits.

What do you dislike?

Social media targeting can be a bit dated and there some editors from high profile publications whose names and contact information is not available. There are quite a few people in the communications and media field, so it must be hard to keep track of everyone, especially since people are constantly shifting to new positions. However, being a little more thorough never hurts!

Recommendations to others considering the product

In addition to being great communications software, there customer support team is always prompt and happy to help with any questions or troubleshoot issues you may be having.

The benefit of not having to call publications to ask for contact information is priceless.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Must Have Tool for PR Professionals "

What do you like best?

Cision is a versatile tool for the PR professional- from list buildings, editorial opportunities, one-off media contact searches, information of publications, and social. Being able to search by beats and locations, and export media lists in multiple formats with hundreds of contacts in a huge time saver. Journalists also have the option to include bios, other sites/social channels with coverage, and a description on how they like to work with PR people, which adds additional value beyond an email address. Cision is fast, simple, and is always my go-to in terms of media relations.

What do you dislike?

Many in the industry complain that Cision is often not up-to-date on contact information/media moves from publication to publication. Although I've come across that myself, the Support team is great about updating when you flag a recent move or missing contact, so I don't think it's necessarily a huge setback.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really get to know all that Cision has to offer-- it can be much more than a quick log in if you'd like it to be! The search function and list builder are my favorite features, and the Support team is always eager to help with improving their database and working with their customers to stay on top of the constantly changing media industry landscape.

Cision makes media relations both easy and smart. Beat descriptions, whether a brief overview or a more in-depth look at a journalist's focus or a publication's focus, are easy to access and extremely helpful in avoiding blindly reaching out to media that may or may not be appropriate for a certain outreach list. When working to build large lists of contacts you are not familiar with, Cision is the ideal tool.

Cision review by <span>Cindy A.</span>
Cindy A.

"Cision is a staple for me!"

What do you like best?

I like Cision's user friendly interface and the ability to quickly filter down to the media outlets or contacts I'm looking to target for a particular news release, pitch or announcement.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes the media contacts in the database are incorrect as editors and reporters frequently move to different outlets or leave the business all together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision account representatives are wonderful about keeping clients up to date about updates with the software and platform.

As a Public Relations Manager, I use Cision to develop targeted media outlet, media contacts and influencers lists to share information about my company's products and services.

Cision review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"Cision has helped us grow our media presence and build our database of media contacts"

What do you like best?

The ease of finding a new contact within the industry. I also like the new reports they generate showing how the well the campaign did . These have been helpful with knowing who is receiving our emails or who's contact information needs updated.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to become familiar with the platform and remember where every function is located.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is like an industry specific phone book at the tip of your fingers. You can find anyone with media influence in your industry and have direct access to their information, email and phone number. It makes it easy to find exactly who you need to target.

We weren't able to contact the right people before. Now we can easily find who we are looking for. Our media mentions have increased significantly and we are building relationships with journalists.

Cision review by <span>Kami L.</span>
Kami L.

"cision Insights"

What do you like best?

I like how cision lists all the contact information you need for reporters, news stations, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how oftentimes the information is outdated. Sometimes it lists someone as a reporter who has since left the business like two years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be mindful that the information you pull from this software may not be the most updated so always double check a reporter's current status on LinkedIn.

It helps minimize the time needed to search for reporter information. It's convenient because for a TV station, it'll list the news station, number, address, reporter information and news director information. It'll have both an email and phone number that may be hard to find on the regular website.

Cision review by <span>Katie P.</span>
Katie P.

"Easy way to pull media contacts"

What do you like best?

The advanced search features. Cision makes it easy to target specific DMAs, types of outlets, their coverage, etc. I also like their influencer tab where I can pull a list of Twitter influencers on specific topics.

What do you dislike?

It's not very intuitive. For instance, if I misspell or put in the wrong formatting in search, it just says no results found rather than giving me suggstions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with your company or team to get proper training on the platform. Cision is very helpful in your role but isn't easy to navigate for first-time users.

Building media lists for outreach, researching reporters, looking up UVM, etc.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision - An Oldie But A Goodie"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has an extensive, highly accurate database of contacts in all forms of media from magazines and newspapers to blogs and radio. I also like that if they are missing a contact - I can add the contact and that contact is automatically added to the database.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little outdated and looks a little old. The design and layout of the website could be updated to something sleeker and easier to use - it takes a bit to learn how to get around it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it - even though it's a bit harder to learn, it has the best contact database and I hear that it is improving its social media monitoring and distribution elements.

Finding contacts to be able to pitch them is easy with Cision. I hardly ever need to research to find a media outlet or employee's contact information. From this, I am assured that my pitches and press releases are going to the correct contacts and receive fewer bounce back emails.

Cision review by <span>Lauren B.</span>
Lauren B.

"Using Cision for PR/Crisis Management"

What do you like best?

Creating tailored media lists with as broad or targered parameters as I need. I enjoy having the option of having a really broad list that casts a wide net or building a small, extremely specific list that only targets about 30 people. The flexibility and access to so many people is a great advantage.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I cannot export my media lists into Excel, which is frustrating. Occaionally I have to type out my entire list manually from the web into Excel and it wastes a huge amount of timel If that glitch could be solved most of my problems with Cision would be solved as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to go through a detailed tutorial to really learn about all of the features Cision can offer.

I'm solving the issues of not being able to find a reliable contact address for reporters, outlets, etc. Sometimes the information I find is either outdted or irrelevant, which is disappointing.

Cision review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Helps make life easy!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, great monitoring tool and the daily alerts are key for keeping us up-to-date with overnight news. New influencer streams are interesting. Cision is also the best we've found for distributing our releases to the media.

What do you dislike?

Our organization's name makes it hard to track easily but Cision (formerly Vocus) support has worked with us on narrowing our keyword searches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has a lot of capabilities, just make sure that you train yourself properly in it's use to be able to get the most out of it. I love their video how-to's and have recommended them to our interns who are looking to build their skills.

We're tracking our coverage and competitors coverage much more than we were in the past.

Cision review by User in Internet

"Gets the press releases on the wire"

What do you like best?

Without a doubt, Cision gets the job done. It's simple enough to use, and only took a few days for me to feel confident with distributions. The experience is all very guided, especially with the separate sections when it comes to actually uploading the release

What do you dislike?

Few things I dislike: 1) That links within the body of the release don't transfer over when you copy and paste - it's just more time consuming to have to redo the links and 2) the formatting doesn't transfer over. As far as I can tell, there's no way to add bullet points within Cision, so you have to use hyphens and redo the formatting when you copy and paste something over and 3) I wish you could upload an image directly to the particular release, rather than into your Cision library, and then onto the release.

None of these are absolutely glaring items - just little things that would speed up the process of press release distribution and make the overall experience better.

Cision allows us to get the press releases on the wire within hours, which is great if they don't get written or approved until the day they're supposed to go live.

"Useful Platform"

What do you like best?

Cision is great when it comes to collecting information on influencers and media outlets.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of getting used to to be used effectively. Additionally, information is often outdated or lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm sure we are not using Cision to it's full capacity. We use it for a very specific needs, new users would probably do well to explore further.

Cision is great for looking up influencers in a bind. If I need an email quickly, I go to Cision. Occasionally I also use it to discover new outlets and influencers I had not found elsewhere. As for the other elements of the platform, lack of user friendliness and the availability of other simple options (such as for social media managing) are barriers to use.

Cision review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Cision PR"

What do you like best?

I've only used Cision twice, both times to send out Press Releases for our company. I really liked that it automatically gives you analytics on who's picked up the article. It also gives you recommendations for who you should send it to, depending on your region or field of work that the article is related to. I also like how it already guides you to format the press release correctly and will score you depending on the amount of information you've included.

What do you dislike?

It's not the easiest to understand at first. There are a lot of ways to send out a PR and it doesn't exactly guide you to which way you should start with, depending on the type of release you're putting out. I also wish there was more ease in adding news outlets - right now you have to add each individually.

We are trying to get our company name out there - and one way of doing that is by sending out Press Releases. Having an account with Cision allows us to get our name out there easier than if we were attempting to do it on our own. Cision has a much broader reach and is very beneficial by helping select where your PR needs to be seen.

Cision review by <span>Alyssa Marie H.</span>
Alyssa Marie H.

"Good idea but hard to use interface"

What do you like best?

It was great being able to see all the media contacts relavant to your organization within a certain distance. I enjoyed using key word searches as well as finding all media mentions of our organization. The option of the contact information is helpful including preferred contact method for said contact.

What do you dislike?

The interface is hard to use and is extremely hard to search in an efficient manor. For example, I'm looking for all media sources that could be interested in writing about interior design within 100 mile radius of Chicago. Once the search results pop up it's difficult to see if the company is really a good match for your organization. Also, would be nice if there was a way to directly contact them through CISION. The contact information needs to be updated. Many people I tried calling had left the company years ago which resulted in an embarrassing apology on my part multiple times.

Our organization was trying to get a good idea of our media reach as well as potential new meda outlets for our organization to reach out to with press releases.

Cision review by User in Higher Education

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

It makes it easier to create press lists for multiple markets at once, which is essential for the massive pitches we send out weekly. It also makes it easier find outlets in different DMA markets (local and national) and track press placements we wouldn't normally find online and also see their overall press value.The analytics would be very beneficial for my team, but we do not pay for that feature.

What do you dislike?

I have run into many occasions where the contact information is incorrect and I either get a bounce-back email or a very angry response. Cision also does not pick up as many press placements as I would like. I tend to find more on Google or through a very specific online article or blog search than on Cision. It can't pick up a name that has been hyperlinked, which I have talked about with my sales rep many times! Annoying! I think by now, that should be something that can be fixed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're wanting it for media tracking and contact searches, I highly recommend!

Finding more contacts that are difficult to find on a typical web search is the biggest advantage it gives us, but we are also able to see a bunch of media placements at once and are able to see the value of our press placements, which we have to report on - although the numbers usually seem a little off. Some outlets are much higher than I would expect, and reverse.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

Lots of data available through this platform. Cision makes it easy to pull reports, and provides access to both media contacts and helpful resources. There are some good articles online, and even though some contacts are out of date, overall most of the lists provide access to the latest information.

What do you dislike?

Don't like the updated Cision platform (search feature). Preferred old Cision. New search function is not as intuitive or easy to navigate, although the design is clearer and bigger.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a helpful tool with a number of resources relevant for a variety of needs. Very helpful in connecting with people and building networks. Design could be improved but overall a good tool.

Benefits include ability to reach a wider group of influencers and media, able to customize and sort lists so that I am targeting a more specific group of relevant contacts.

Cision review by <span>Britny K.</span>
Britny K.

"How I use Cision"

What do you like best?

The service is helpful for finding contacts and new outlets on certain topics. I like the ability to find more information on media outlets.

What do you dislike?

I find that the information can be outdated for email addresses and titles of media contacts. I've also had trouble with the search feature not recognizing an outlet's URL or name and having difficulty finding that outlet's information.

Cision helps me with the research arm of the business problems we have. Its main benefit is that it's a huge database that can at least point you in the right direction.

Cision review by <span>Natalie B.</span>
Natalie B.

"Huge timesaver for research, news release distribution"

What do you like best?

The integration with PRNewswire has streamlined our process for researching media targets and distributing a news release. It's nice to have it all in one place.

What do you dislike?

The media list isn't always totally updated. It's understandable since reporters and producers move around so much but it always seems like it takes a while before it's updated. I am only able to catch mistakes with markets I'm super familiar with but always wonder if I'm hitting the right inboxes in ones I don't know as well.

Efficiency - having everything in one place is a huge timesaver, which is a huge money maker in the agency business.

Cision review by <span>Chris N.</span>
Chris N.

"New To Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision is a very powerful tool that is helping us with our digital marketing reach and web monitoring for markets that we work with as well as our company mentions. Their webinars to help train us on best practices in using their platform have been most helpful and their instructors have always been available for any questions or concerns we have.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was more integration with LinkedIn since it is the most widely used social media platform for business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy it if you want to strengthen your marketing stack.

Cision is helping us connect to more Influencers in the markets that we serve so that we can have a more focused audience when we send out our announcements and company news. This is increasing our brand awareness.

Cision review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"The best tool in PR"

What do you like best?

I love that almost every outlet you'd need to search for is there. The stats and breakdown of titles and topics really helps me find who I'm looking for. I also like that you can easily search by markets and specific locations. The export tool is great because I can pull contacts quickly and export them to a spreadsheet to use which makes building media lists quick and efficient.

What do you dislike?

I wish cision automatically saved all the searches you created and that multiple people can be logged in on one account. I also dislike that at times the contacts listed can be outdated and incorrect. I've run into that more than a couple of times. I can usually locate the right contact after but I'd rather have it on the first try. I also don't like that when you copy/export contacts to google docs or excel the phone number often gets messed up since it recognizes it as a command and not a plus sign in a number.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely play around on it for a little while. The tutorial is helpful but it's much more useful to use learn on your own. You learn as you go so even if the tutorial seems like a lot it's really not as confusing and complicated as it seems.

It really helps us to be successful in our outreach especially small markets throughout the country and around the world as well.

Cision review by <span>Claire C.</span>
Claire C.

"Headache"

What do you like best?

Cision allows you to export the results of a database search, even though the export tool is wonky and in a format that needs to be converted.

What do you dislike?

Database is not up-to-date. Menus are lengthy and search offers you to specify criteria that it seems to not actually have data for, not to mention that you don't even know what some of them refer to. For example, when I export a list of coverage there are about 50 options for data types that I can include in the spreadsheet ("Collateral attach extension", "news aspirational peers mentions" etc.). Why can't I get basic impressions/view counts for all of the coverage I pull?

The search function also misses a lot of articles, so I end up having to go back to Google News anyways. Not to mention I have to copy and paste all of the URLs into my spreadsheet b/c for some reason Cision can't export those

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do it, there are better tools out there, both in terms of user friendliness and data accuracy.

I'm trying to measure the business value of our PR activities. Very few benefits so far.

Also trying to find influencers to target, but the contacts that Cision surfaces are totally irrelevant.

Cision review by <span>Savannah J.</span>
Savannah J.

"Cision is useful, but the information could be more up to date"

What do you like best?

I like the search function the best. When I am looking for media targets in a certail location that cover a certain area, it is very useful.

What do you dislike?

I've found the information is sometimes out of date. Reporter information needs to be updated on a more current basis. I've found services like Gorkana and MuckRack typically have more up to date (even real-time) contact information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is great for media and PR needs

The main problem is outdated contact information. It is beneficial to have the descriptions of the outlets and information on circulation/reach. I don't use Cision for any sort of monitoring, I only use it for media targeting.

Cision review by <span>Alexandra C.</span>
Alexandra C.

"Cision Review"

What do you like best?

the use of the Cision tool/ PR Web is easy and very effective for our business needs. copying and pasting within the press release editor quick, and the prompts on screen are helpful. I also like how I can go back and edit my release before its finally "sent." I also really like the review feature so we can track the activity of the release.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how I am unable to see more about the regions I am sending my releases to. I want to know more about each list. I am also disappointed that when we "upgraded" to a package, I did not notice much of a difference. Yes, it shows me that the release was picked up by more sights but we are not seeing any benefit to that as a business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The release packages aren't that great and therefore are not needed to get the job done. Overall a good way to distribute releases.

We need more awareness! As i mentioned above, we purchased a package in hopes of growing our reach of our press releases online. I also would really like access to the database of journalists but that is too expensive for us which is disappointing.

Cision review by <span>Liz R.</span>
Liz R.

"Great Tool to find media connections"

What do you like best?

I like that I can create lists based off what account I am working on and its needs. In addition, I love that I can distribute a press release through Cision and see who has opened it, etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the media contacts are not always current, so it can feel tedious to double check and make sure that the contact is still there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that you do the Cision training to fully maximize your use of this tool.

Connecting with the media, Distributing Press Releases, Identifying Target Outlets.

Cision review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Easy to use with friendly and accessible account managers"

What do you like best?

The platform is constantly evolving and easy to use. They were recently acquired by PR Newswire so their platform is very streamlined to work in conjunction with that system, but is also great for anyone that uses BusinessWire. Press lists are very easy to build, press release templates are more customizable and news is quick to search for.

What do you dislike?

With all things, it is still evolving, but the new platform is more advanced and streamlined than the previous. I think there are a lot of things you don't use that you still pay for, but it's difficult to master every aspect of this program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to have your account manager train you and take as many online tutorials/ classes you can.

We are able to quickly build new press lists as well as pull reports and segment out lists if needed.

Cision review by <span>Mike P.</span>
Mike P.

"Great Resources for PR Pros"

What do you like best?

I know there are others in the market, but I don't think any other software compares to Cision when it comes to media database details. We used it for list building and some reporting. I loved it for list building.

What do you dislike?

Edcals never really seemed to line up with the publications. I realize that's a tough one, but it would have been a great feature to see work the way it was supposed to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said before, there are a few other players in the space, but I don't believe the others compare. It's a reliable tool and an absolute necessity if you're working in PR or marketing communications to have a subscription.

Simply put, you need good media contacts to be successful in PR. Cision made it easy to identify the right reporters to help spread our clients' message.

Cision review by <span>Taylor J.</span>
Taylor J.

"A useful tool, but requires some proofing"

What do you like best?

Cision allows me to fairly accurately track media mentions for my clients. Though there are glitches in the system, I find that most of the clippings I need are there. Similarly, the media contacts in the list building function are usually accurate. One of the best features in the media list building function is the ability to see the journalist comments. It is easy to tell which journalists are most likely to entertain your pitch, as the bios usually contain direct quote.

What do you dislike?

The search terms functions often yield inaccurate results. Mentions may not include my client or may be pulled from websites where my client advertises. When building a media list, do your due diligence before hitting "send." Contacts are usually updated fairly quickly, but I have found that some contacts are listed in their previous job roles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Come prepared with questions for your representative to make sure the software will provide you with all of the features you need.

It would be a full-time job to search all of the outlets we pitch for client mentions, so Cision helps compile the data we need pretty effectively.

Cision review by User

"Great Onboarding, Simple Interface"

What do you like best?

The team that onboards you to Cision is one of the best I've encountered. We've tried a number of competitors and Cision is the best combination of simple and powerful that I've seen across the spectrum.

What do you dislike?

Cision, like most other products structured the way Cision is, doesn't offer broad social listening - there's no 'what's trending now' feature. Likewise, Cision is limited in your ability to think of what you want to keep tabs on. For example, we want to keep tabs on celebrity mothers - but doing so via keyword is tedious and comes back with false hits as often as not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add a trending function - similar to Twitter's top trends. This is a simple addition that will make tons of your users happier.

We keep an eye on our media. As an international organization with projects under different brand names and different countries, Cision makes it easy for us to monitor anything that is written about our organization. We get daily digest emails, and have a simple interface that helps us construct reports whenever we need them.

Cision review by <span>Maura H.</span>
Maura H.

"Efficient Product, Does the Job Just Not Perfect"

What do you like best?

Cision has MOST reporters and outlets that I'm looking for, which is important when looking for a specific person or when I need to contact someone at a specific outlet.

What do you dislike?

Frequently I find that the contact information provided is outdated; emails bounce, people no longer work there or phone numbers don't work. It can also be very hard to refine your search and the program can occasionally be slow to load for certain functions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Search in various ways for information -- by name and outlet. Be sure to review lists before sending something to all of them -- just because you set certain parameters doesn't mean that every one is included in that list and/or that everyone the program automatically included actually fits your parameters.

Finding contact information for media personnel and outlets.

Cision review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Cisoin Review - Clarification Matters"

What do you like best?

I like the Cision dashboard, because its fairly easy to quickly navigate and get information at a glance.

What do you dislike?

The Cision "Connect" seems to really be lacking but I think it has a tremendous amount of potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good if you want to target "influencers" aka their media contacts, but otherwise if you really want to engage with your customers its severely lacking in that area. I'd recommend coupling Cision with another software if you want more of the social media management aspect but its good for PR specifically.

We needed to manage social media, post to various SM outlets, and also monitor and record news coverage for various different entities. The benefit has been in the coverage - Cision offers a very extensive listening service with the ability to not only monitor web, but also print, tv, and radio as well.

Cision review by <span>Anthony M.</span>
Anthony M.

"Nonprofit PR made the switch to Vision"

What do you like best?

Our nonprofit organization made the switch to Cision two weeks ago, and we've already gathered more information from our analytics than ever before. Cision does something our previous platform did not: it tracks the value of each mention based on a number of variables.

There is also an option to enter URLs manually to add media mentions to coverage that Cision's searches may have missed (and it has been hit or miss so far)

What do you dislike?

The biggest gripe is that only one user can be logged in to an account at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The array of tools available to track and analyze media mentions are worth the price alone; Being able to send releases and organize lists is a bonus.

We're able to provide more in-depth reports to senior management about the value of our PR placement, and it has a very extensive media database that includes 'Pitch Profiles' — a synopsis of an outlet or media member on the issues they cover, helping us better target potential influencers.

"It's usually not awful"

What do you like best?

For all of the services included, it is a good deal, also as they purchase new companies the opportunity for services is increasing. They also allow you to live chat with technical support, and so you are usually able to talk to someone quickly.

What do you dislike?

Frequent technical problems, some last days, and cause major disruptions. They are investing heavily in the company, but in my opinion they switched over from their old cisionpoint system to the new cision communications cloud service too soon, and the system wasn't ready. Several important features from the old tool did not make it, the new one frequently has problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for technical problems. Also remember to manually update your lists, as Cision will not help with that. They are constantly updating their database, but you will have update your lists on your own. They are heavily investing in the company with mergers and acquisitions. Take advanatage of their connections and HARO, Profnet, PR News Wire to get the best use out of Cision.

Cision allows for media monitoring, finding reporters and sending out distributions. For all of this, it is reasonably priced and the account reps work hard to find a deal that fits all of your needs and is affordable.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use Tool for PR Novices and Pros Alike "

What do you like best?

It's easy to quickly look up press contacts, create and export lists and use filters to sort and find exactly what information you need. Press contacts can be outdated and need to be updated more frequently.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to find what you need if you don't know the exact spelling or call sign of the station or show. The database needs to be updated more frequently when journalists change outlets or positions. The "opportunities" functionality can be lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't think there's a better program out there. It's the best one on the market.

We want to be careful stewards of our time -- so having a program that allows you to create and update press lists quickly is a huge benefit.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is great for media lists & distribution of releases"

What do you like best?

Cision is constantly updating media contacts nationally. This saves a ton of time & gives you the piece of mind of knowing that when you send out a release, that it is going to the right people & that emails won't bounce back. It makes curating national media lists easy.

What do you dislike?

The social media posting aspects need some work. You have to use an image URL & fill out an Excel spreadsheet if you want to schedule posts in bulk. The social media reporting still needs work as well. Cision only records stats on the posts that are scheduled through Cision. Overall, if you work with social media often you will need to purchase another platform.

Very helpful for national clients.

Cision review by User in Real Estate
User in Real Estate

"Simple PR Distribution"

What do you like best?

It's relatively easy to sign in, create a new listing, and add some target groups. It's great being able to send off a PR in under 5 minutes after it's been written up and we're ready to distribute.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX could definitely use some improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can get a great deal buying a package of Press Releases (bundling 12 PR's, for example), with advance features for the price of a basic release. If you can afford it up front, it's well worth it and you'll save cash.

Simple, streamlined press release distribution.

Cision review by <span>Toni L.</span>
Toni L.

"cision is great"

What do you like best?

cision is great... it neatly gives you relevant reporters contact information and info on what they cover

What do you dislike?

sometimes cision is outdated or just inaccurate. it would be great if they could do a better job keeping up with media and omitting journalists and producers who no longer work with certain publications

Recommendations to others considering the product

great product, just sometimes outdated

working in public relations, i use cision to search for media to share story ideas. my job would be incredibly challenging without cision

Cision review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Best in the business"

What do you like best?

Cision's media database is the best in this space. It's the most robust, allowing for easier list building. The support staff is super responsive and helpful each time I reach out with questions.

What do you dislike?

This is currently no hierarchy to add media members to lists (ex: travel editor, then managing editor, then editor, then staff writer), but that may be due to the fact that publication staffs are much smaller now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is the best in the business. No media database is perfect, but Cision is the market leader!

We use Cision for many PR efforts, but mainly to maintain and update our media database and send press releases. The media database is unmatched with other companies we have demoed, and Cision does a great job of regularly updating contacts and outlets.

Cision review by <span>Eric L.</span>
Eric L.

"Great media monitoring and media contact platform. "

What do you like best?

Most comprehensive media database in the industry. Allows us to easily monitor a wide variety of topics, keywords, etc. for our brand. The tool lets you search from a huge list of criteria.

What do you dislike?

Interface is outdated and sometimes hard to navigate. The search feature, although very comprehensive, is hard to navigate and confusing to most users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is still the best media monitoring and media contact database out there. The industry is definitely getting more competitive but Cision is working/has made updates to their tool.

Monitor brand exposure and impact of media team work. Also, allows a team of writers to find media contacts and deliver releases to leading journalists/outlets. Easily track placements in key outlets.

"Great PR Tool"

What do you like best?

Cision is a great tool for identifying media influencers and reporters. It is fast and easy to create media lists and manage your relationships through this channel. The media updates they provide are also helpful.

What do you dislike?

I've found that the contact information in their database is often out of date. The database also does not recognize duplicate contacts, or offer a very useful explanation of if a writer contributes to multiple sources.

Cision saves me a significant amount of time when going through the basics of media relations, especially media and influencer targeting. Although this is our primary use for Cision, we have experimented with social and PR analytics as well and have found it to be a useful tool. The team at Cision is very responsive and always available to offer timely support.

Cision review by <span>Lindsey L.</span>
Lindsey L.

"Cision"

What do you like best?

Cision is the best database for compiling targeted media lists. The customer service is fast and efficient, and they validate all requested contacts before adding them to the database.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search parameters aren't ideal. Before they revamped Cision a few years back, you could create a newspaper list based on circulation, and that is no longer available. The "top 100 newspaper" search parameter was helpful. Clients often want to target the top 50, 100 or 150 newspaper outlets nationwide.

My firm uses Cision to determine the best target media and influencers for client campaigns. Cision also serves for reporting results, as we use the website to reference circulation, unique monthly website visitors, etc.

Cision review by <span>Whitney S.</span>
Whitney S.

"Amazing resource to step up your PR game"

What do you like best?

I like that this a service for my agency that cuts out the grunt work. It allows us to work my efficiently and find the best suited media outlet tailored to the specific industry we need. It provides us the tools we need to venture out into the world of bloggers and tap into resources we would not have if it weren't for Cision.

What do you dislike?

Out of everything, the price of Cision is hard to justify when you don't have the need to use it daily. We are a full service agency, but we do not provide PR and media relations services everyday. So although this helps us tremendously when we do, the cost of it almost isn't worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do your research to ensure you have the need to use it. It is a great tool and great value for the money. However, if you don't use it frequently the price seems quite high. So make sure it is a definitive need before purchasing.

We are tapping into media relations strategically, and not out of luck and relationships already built. It helped us deliver better results to our clients. We are able to provide analytics, coverage and additional outreach tools. We finally can measure the success of our PR and media efforts.

Cision review by User in Internet

"Cision PR newswire and distribution service"

What do you like best?

Once set up, the Cision service can be a useful way to distribute PR stories online and to relevant contacts. The newsrooms look nice and the PR can easily be shared.

What do you dislike?

Very unhelpful support and any software issues take an age to sort out,.

There seems to be a high turn over of staff, so you are never able to contact your Account Manager as they have left.

Cision recently "migrated" my account - losing me all my images and preset templates.

After 10 days of being unable to send my PR as the migrated system was not fully functioning, I switched to another provider. During this time I sent emails and range various support helplines and the team were still very unhelpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't do it!

Sending out PR to a dedicated list, knowing the PR gets to the right people.

Having switched from Cision (Vuelio), I can see that the customer service and functionality were both lacking.

Cision review by User

"Great for smaller agencies"

What do you like best?

Fairly organized and easy to use. Worked really well for our small PR agency which had multiple clients in different sectors so we could keep everything clean and organized. The training and support offered was really great, too.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were some more features but overall very useful for small PR team and nothing major is missing functionality wise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really take advantage of the training and support offered, it's extremely helpful and will give you a leg up, especially in the agency setting.

Cision worked really well for our small PR agency which had multiple clients in different sectors so we could keep everything clean and organized with multiple lists. Cision really helped streamline our workflow even though we were all working on different things at one time - really helpful when you're having a news crisis and it's all hands on deck.

"Review of Cision"

What do you like best?

Having used a few other platforms, I feel Cision (formerly Vocus) best captures all earned media and its value. It is also pretty simple to distribute press releases and its database is pretty useful as well.

What do you dislike?

In trying to keep our costs down, our package makes compiling specific areas of coverage (print vs. online or broadcast, etc.) is a little more difficult than I would like, but still not too bad. Also, custom lists can be tedious in regards to uploading individual names. It would be more helpful if I could upload an Excel spreadsheet, instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you ask plenty of questions about what services you will receive and won't depending on what you spend.

In addition to using Cision to assist in compiling results for earned media, such as total stories, ad value and circulation/viewership, we hope to fully utilize the media database tool to find the best reporters across the country and at home for the right stories.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is invaluable to any PR firm, with some caveats to consider"

What do you like best?

I like that Cision has a clean UI and is easy to use. Training is minimal, about 3-5 days tops. The incorporation of predictive search makes search queries quick and painless, learning with each use. Finally, the reliability of Cision, a SaaS known to many within the industry, is very helpful for researching unique visitors per month (UVM) and reach for influencer marketing and outlet ranking.

What do you dislike?

Despite the wonderful search capabilities, Cision can be very slow during searches. The database isn't always current, as we have found several notable publications and journalists are missing. So often, we have to update our contact databases ourselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're going to use Cision, make sure you can handle outdated information and slow customer support. Ideally, I believe if Cision improved the overall customer experience, their churn rate might not be nearly as high.

With Cision, we were seeking to streamline our contact database. Using a service like Cision should be easier than doing it yourself, right? Oftentimes, it was. However, as the database was outdated on several occasions, we were constantly contacting Cision to make updates. The benefits were that we were able to keep our contact management and outreach in a central location, instead of spanning across several spreadsheets.

Cision review by <span>Amy R.</span>
Amy R.

"The best tool for media monitoring"

What do you like best?

Within the PR division, the database of reporters is constantly updated by the Cision team. List-building is easy and intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Sending emails from within Cision does have the "unsubscribe" along the bottom, which may come across to reporters as spam. However, it's only fair to say that the "unsubscribe" is a legal requirement for all services such as Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision has so much to offer in terms of media monitoring, press release distribution, and social influencers. I'd recommend initially setting up a series of calls with Cision to make sure you're using the platform to its fullest potential.

Cision makes it easy to expand media contacts and explore new reporters / beats.

Cision review by <span>Justine R.</span>
Justine R.

"Marketing Director"

What do you like best?

Love the information and contact information for most of the reporters and press I am trying to connect with. It is simple for us to use and find the press we are looking to connect with. I really like being able to see who has read my email, which allows me to stay connected to those frequent openers and send less pitches to those who do not open as frequently.

What do you dislike?

Not every contact has all the information and is it difficult to manage lists. There is a learning curve to some of the features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We found this to be extremely useful while building our internal press list without using a large PR firm.

We are able to connect with Press and are able to tailor pitches to them. We are able to connect with press around updates, events, promotions better than we ever were before. I loved being able to geo and activity target making my pitches more relatable and relevant.

Cision review by <span>Cecelia F.</span>
Cecelia F.

"Top choice for PR software"

What do you like best?

I like the dashboard where we can track our coverage versus our competitors coverage. This helps establish a metric and visual for our C-suite in order to track our efforts. It's very high level and immediately provides credibility, which always helps to justify our expenditures when budgets are under scrutiny.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the daily coverage emails we get aren't always the most accurate. At the end of the month we end up adding a lot of our placed coverage in manually, because Cision doesn't pick it up when tracking our key words.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are, of course, other options out there for Cision. When we selected it, we were also considering Vocus, which is now an acquisition of Cision's. To me, these both were the top choices as far as what they offered for the value.

We have a large, and distributed organization with many divisions that are focused on several business initiatives. Cision has provided our division the benefit of one source to plan, execute and track our PR efforts.

Cision review by <span>Melissa K.</span>
Melissa K.

"Continued Success"

What do you like best?

The accessibility and availability of all of the functions throughout the PR platform. I like that I can track my activity through charts and graphs, and also print out reports to monitor what I've done over a specified time period. Everything I need is on my dashboard and accessible to me and my team.

What do you dislike?

I would like more training on how to use all of the features, but I would like those trainings on my own time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The platform is easy to use and easy to train. It is also visually appealing and it is on trend. I am constantly contacted for webinars to improve my skill set and also to find out if I need any assistance with anything.

I am solving the issue of efficiency when contacting the media. Using Cision is a much faster and concise way of doing business and all of my reports are at my fingertips. Tracking my activity and the activity of my team through the program is a huge benefit.

Cision review by <span>Pete T.</span>
Pete T.

"Media clips and tracking are exceptional"

What do you like best?

In 2015, we led a primary client on an exhaustive review (that repeats every three years) of available media tracking platforms, including print, digital, broadcast and social media outlets. Cision may be the biggest player in the market and some would say that makes a company slow to respond. On the contrary, we found CIsion's online platform highly usable, customizable and effective -- not to mention they were price competitive. During the past year, their customer service has also been quite good. Tracking and analyzing media sources is a rapidly evolving business and the players change frequently, so I always recommend shopping carefully for what you need. Based on our experience, Cision should be on your short list.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike so much as a recommendation. The platform has so many features that it can be difficult to narrow down what is needed whenever a special project pops up. So a dedicated service rep who understand the clients needs immediately would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely go through the demo process and compare with other vendor offerings.

Monitoring media reach and reaction to programs and issues of importance to our client. Results are quickly delivered and analysis is readily available.

Cision review by <span>Kristen C.</span>
Kristen C.

"Enhances your company's reach to the media"

What do you like best?

The best part about the Cision suite is how easy it is to use. Whether you are trying to create a list or simply send out a distribution everything is clearly laid out in front of you. They also have a really great database for niche industries. Working in the event industry, it can sometimes be hard to find all the global media contacts for big outlets online. Cision did not disappoint with their results.

What do you dislike?

While they have great list for the US, some of their global contacts could use some work. Working for an international company with clients in Europe, Middle East, APAC region and North America - we need to be able to reach all these clients and potential clients. Enhanced lists in global areas would be great.

Their account managers, at least from my experience are pretty hands off as well. I would love to have them be a little more proactive with their approach.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They really are the best in the business with their solution, especially after acquiring Vocus. However, they can get pricey if you are in-house and have a small budget like we do and you won't see that much of a price change from year to year.

We needed a more efficient way to reach out to contacts and Cision has helped with that. Also it is hard to find the right contacts for our industry - Cision helped us to get the right names. We have already seen a huge increase in the amount of times our company is listed online. We needed to expand our reach, and we did.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Very helpful service, but not comprehensive"

What do you like best?

I like that with Cision, I — as a PR professional — can look up contact info for media outlets and members of the media that I would not normally be able to find online.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that they only have certain publications and certain reporters/editors/producers. I would say 7 times out of 10 they have what I need. But the other three times can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be hard to navigate at first, but once you get the hang of the software, Cision can be a real lifesaver.

We are solving the problem of finding contact information, and the great benefit of Cision is having a huge database of contact information all in one place.

Cision review by <span>Kate S.</span>
Kate S.

"It fits out needs, not much more"

What do you like best?

The user interface is no-frills, and the results seem to be very comprehensive. We get hits in a lot of obscure markets and they have never missed one that I know of.

What do you dislike?

The system could be more intuitive. I'd love some work along tutorials or mouse-over tips. And when I have called support, they have more of a "here I will just do that for you" attitude (versus my preference to actually learn how to do it.)

We're working to capture clips and metrics on our media hits, both in mainstream media (TV, newspaper, radio) as well as social (mostly twitter.) The tool works well for those purposes.

Cision review by <span>J.R. D.</span>
J.R. D.

"HARO is a Great Resource"

What do you like best?

We use Cision's HARO to get sources for stories and also contribute our insight for other stories. It's an excellent tool for that.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are queries from "reporters" whose platforms are small but have somehow bypassed HARO's rules for minimum Alexa ranking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The more you use it, the more familiar you'll get with which queries and responses work and which don't.

It's a good way for us to get our name out and build credibility.

Cision review by User in Online Media
User in Online Media

"Take control of marketing & social media"

What do you like best?

The influencer search allows users to search in real time what influencers are talking about. Streams is really useful for monitoring social and traditional media in one view. The analytics feature is more advanced as well which really helps in tracking/measuring KPIs.

What do you dislike?

Im on the fence about how precise reach is as a measurement tool or share of voice. It would be nice to know if there is a distinction from an errant click, three second view or a complete interaction with the content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product for content distribution (i use for press releases) as well as for research. The measurement tools are customizable to your needs with charts and dashboards that are perfect for presentations.

Mostly influencer outreach. Pushing press releases to influencers who may be interested in the subject matter. Cision is really great for this research. It consolodates information so i dont need to search multiple platforms.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good for distributing press releases"

What do you like best?

I liked the built-in audiences and contacts to where press releases could be sent. It was a great foundation for which to build for media lists. I also like being able to gauge what people are saying about a client and what types of media are talking about the client.

What do you dislike?

The custom email templates were not always super user friendly. It also doesn't catch all media mentions, so this would have to be supplemented by a person to help catch everything. Sometimes, the formatting would not be totally the same from what the previous function would show it to look like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider price to the amount of work put in.

This provides a platform to distribute releases with specific contacts for various categories. This is helpful when putting out releases on various topics where a contact is not always obvious. The built-in lists help pinpoint specific people where the release could go so that it's sure to get into the right hands.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision is a valuable PR tool"

What do you like best?

Cision is a mainstay in the PR business - it helps find essential contact information for reporters and background details for nearly any media outlet. You can search by name of outlet, reporter name, email and customize your searches to pull larger lists of specialized contacts. It's also nice to have a reference point for gauging impressions and reach, which are updated fairly often and in most profiles.

What do you dislike?

Some information and data can be outdated. It's impossible to keep up with the constant staff changes at media outlets, but you would still love to see it updated as much as possible.

Seems like a good amount of profiles are missing impressions values or they can be outdated

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial first to test it out!

Cision helps streamline research and helps you find the essential information you need on media outlets and contacts, that is likely not publicly available elsewhere.

Cision review by Consultant in Marketing and Advertising
Consultant in Marketing and Advertising

"Cision has its downfalls, but there aren't many other options out there"

What do you like best?

It has a pretty robust database. Making and exporting lists are easy. It's much easier to compile media lists than using Google or other programs. I appreciate the media monitoring function; it makes tracking broadcast clips very easy.

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't super user-friendly. A decent amount of reporter contact info is outdated. Sometimes we have to supplement our reporter research with Google searches. I don't like that you can only find social influencers on Twitter but no other social media platforms.

We identify and compile appropriate reporter contacts, export media lists and use them to distribute our press materials. I used to use the media monitoring function, which I found very useful, however our current budget does not allow us to have this.

Cision review by <span>Ashby B.</span>
Ashby B.

"Cision to the Rescue"

What do you like best?

That a lot of the media outlets have multiple contacts listed and their department. I don't always need to contact the editor or the marketing department when sending a press piece or a calendar event. Cision's organization helps me reach the most appropriate person for my message.

What do you dislike?

The the PR tracking and ROI calculator costs so much. I would love to be able to track my leads and what actually makes it to print and who might have seen it. But, as a small DMO we don't have the money for those sorts of resources.

Cision has been extremely helpful when it comes to finding, researching, and contacting social influencers. Digital and social media is certainly a marketing direction we want to continue to move in and finding social influencers in our area or who align with our brand is key.

Cision review by <span>Sarah D.</span>
Sarah D.

"Basic PR Software That Makes Distribution Simple"

What do you like best?

I have used Cision's PRWeb software for several years and have always found it pretty simple to use. The UI is pretty basic though, but it provides enough functionality to get a press release distributed through a network.

What do you dislike?

Pretty basic IU... would like more bells and whistles, including a preview email mode that allows you to send a test of the web version with quote in it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want basic, easy to use release software, this may be it.

Press release distribution.

Cision review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"I miss cision every day"

What do you like best?

An extensive network of up to date contact information for leading national and local journalists. I left my agency role for a role at a governmental branch that doesn't have the budget for software like cision. It is HARD to do media lists without it.

What do you dislike?

It's honestly cost prohibitive to a lot of people, but I understand that it's a huge benefit so it should be expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! You will save so much time and money by using Cision to target media and influencers. We were able to start pursuing blogger relationships across the country because of Cision. Once we were able to build up a rapport with local media (thanks to cision, this was way easier and less time consuming), we could devote our time to getting into the niche mediasphere. Our clients were ecstatic that we could start pairing them with influencers across the country.

The hours we previously spent creating our media lists were instead spent proactively pursuing media placements for our clients. Save so much time and energy, and it means that the work we do is more effective in pursuing our goal of customer satisfaction.

Cision review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Using Cision for media lists and distribution"

What do you like best?

I like using Cision for building media lists, finding individual media contacts, and distributing releases.

We also use the influencer ratings to help determine who to contact and what outlets to prioritize. It's helpful to have one place to find all the details about outlets, like circulation, focus, etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a bit glitchy and I'm often unsure whether the contacts are all updated regularly. I've also found it frustrating that you can't actually access the previous releases you've sent out. You can see that they've been sent but can't actually see what was sent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend asking to test drive it and see the media database so you can get an idea of how helpful it would be for you.

We're solving the issues of strategically communicating about our work, which is more important than ever before.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"A good place to start your research for media contacts"

What do you like best?

I enjoy how large the database is for Cision the best. It has most media outlets in there, including many smaller publications.

What do you dislike?

The information is not always up to date, and I always supplement what I find in Cision with at least one outside source, whether it's through Muckrack, social media or an article. Overall, I wouldn't recommend exporting a media list from a search query and sending a blast to those contacts.

I am also not a huge fan of its search functionalities. I wish they were a little more robust and that I could sort queries in a larger variety of ways.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Cision is much better for TV and radio than other databases out there, but I would be hesitant to say that Cision always has up to date and correct information. The system can also sometimes be buggy and the search functions a little clunky, but nothing you can't work with.

It's a great initial tool to looking for media contacts and sometimes for new pubs as well.

Cision review by <span>Tiffany C.</span>
Tiffany C.

"Cision/PR Newswire"

What do you like best?

The wealth of information and resources available through Cision. There is so much stuff.

What do you dislike?

The wealth of information and resources available through Cision. There is too much stuff it's overwhelming.

We use PR Newswire to promote press releases from our annual conference. I've realized we're not using any of these tools to it's full potential and need to figure out how to pull relevant data to support continued usage.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision — A decent software for PR pros"

What do you like best?

Cision is wonderful because it takes a lot of the legwork out of normally time-consuming tasks like building media lists and researching past coverage. It has a powerful search engine full of media outlets, media personnel, and even bloggers/influencers that make a PR pro's life a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the more I have used Cision the more I realize that information is rather frequently out-of-date, so you end up having to cross-check the media contacts you find with another website anyway—which only saves a little bit of time in the long run. The media monitoring service also doesn' always locate the clips necessary, so you spend additional time looking that could be better spent on other tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly research Cision to ensure it has all of the capabilities that you are looking for in a product.

We use Cision to track nearly all of our media coverage for clients instead of compiling summaries by hand — it is a real life-saver at times. The PR analytics within Cision also allow us to tie ROI-related outcomes to our PR methods.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Solid resource for publication and reporter research"

What do you like best?

In my experience, Cision's most helpful features include circulation info, unique monthly visitors, audience info for publications. Additionally, it's helpful in getting reporter contact info and beat information.

What do you dislike?

Cision's search functions aren't the most intuitive, it usually take a few tries to find the right reporter or publication. Additionally, I usually don't rely solely on Cision for reporter and beat info, as it is not always up to date. It's also important to note that I have not used the monitoring or media report generating functions of Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've heard that there are other tools, like Gorkana, that have better reporter and publication info. Additionally, a tool that acts as a database and a monitoring tool is ideal. I'm aware that some Cision packages have this option, but I can't speak to its functionality.

As a media relations and public relations firm, we rely heavily on Cision to provide accurate reporter and publication info. Cision is a great starting point and has very helpful features, that said it's the first step in building a good media list, followed by some desk research to verify contact info and beat info.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Cision allows for easy media monitoring "

What do you like best?

I use CIsion for media monitoring for the University I work for. Cision allows for me to easily find and compile news stories and media results that I can send out to followers in a daily email.

What do you dislike?

I often experience bugs and glitches on Cision, which extends the process out, making me lose valuable time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cision is a great and reliable tool for easily finding and compiling news stories. I use this daily for media monitoring for the university I work for, and have had only a few minor glitches with the system. Cision allows me to get very specific in searches, even down to the date and time I am looking for stories.

Cision helps me to get the word out about my university in a simple way. Instead of having to search through all news results, I can find and compile them all on one simple site.

Cision review by <span>Jared B.</span>