Citavi

Citavi is a user-friendly reference management and knowledge organization program for researchers and students.

Work for Citavi?

Learning about Citavi?

Citavi Reviews

Ask Citavi a Question
Showing 15 Citavi reviews
Citavi review by Maria K.
Maria K.

"intuitive, well developed software with great support"

What do you like best?

Citavi is a great software to manage knowledge and to avoid chaos in citing. I can recommend it to students and scientists and everyone else who wants to organize research and whatever kind of publications or knowledge. The use of the software is easy to learn and when something is unclear, the user will find answers in the user forum or in the great other support tools.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Citavi only works with windows. I'm looking forward to the web version!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest 2 hours of your time to get to know Citavi and its functions and it will save you valuable time in organizing your knowledge for the rest of your life.

I'm giving Citavi seminars to students. Nearly 100% of the students are using Citavi writing their papers or thesis after having visited this seminars. They can concentrate on the content and let Citavi do the citation style stuff. It helps them to understand how scientific writing works.

I'm using Citavi in my daily work too, to keep track of my research regarding scientific writing, citing and other topics of my seminars in information literacy. I even use Citavi to manage my private DVD collection at home.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Citavi
Citavi review by Shala B.
Shala B.

"indispensable tool "

What do you like best?

It is easy to format references in an article to meet any publisher's demands. It is also easy to create bibliographies for students.

I also like the ease with which I can quote sources and the fact that all citations in my documents appear in the Bibliography. What is more, it is easy to edit the citations, much easier than, for example, in programs that come with document writer programs.

It also helps my students organize their reading assignments and notes so that they can better prepare for exams.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to sync my references across folders. It would also be helpful if there were a way to sync between computers. Only being able to have two downloaded versions of the program is quite difficult if one is moving between computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free trial is a great opportunity to get to know that project. Once you hit 100 articles, you know it is time to buy.

Also, citavi's lifetime membership is comparable to a year or so with the competition. Then again, after a couple of years you will want to purchase an update; however, you do not HAVE to. This is a significant difference.

Citavi has helped me prepare articles for publication and bibliographies for my students.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

Citavi review by Susan (Elli) E.
Susan (Elli) E.

"Great Bibliography and Note-taking program"

What do you like best?

It's hard to think of just one -- so I won't. It's easy to add references, easy to categorize them and use the category system to organize papers and book-length work. I use a bibliography project to easily organize reading from web pages, too. It interfaces easily with Word documents... and much more. The tech support has been great. When I first set up work in Citavi, the tech support provided a beta version of a utility to convert my bibliographic entries from another less-used program. I may have used tech support once or twice in the past few years since then. The issue was always resolved within 24 hours.

This is a great program for academics.

What do you dislike?

A couple of journals I write for were missing from the options for formatting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see if it works for you.

I used it for academic research. It was also great for organizing briefing materials on various issues when I was running for office.

Citavi review by Frances A.
Frances A.

"Best Citation Program Ever! "

What do you like best?

I first purchased Citavi in 2012 and when I reached out to their Customer Service (CS) I was impressed with the level of assistance I was provided. I was asking for a feature that had not yet been developed but one of their CS reps developed a work around so that I could still accomplish my task. Ever since then I was a dedicated customer of Citavi and have purchased every major upgrade as they become available. I have recommended Citavi to a colleague who purchased it for her university lab.

What do you dislike?

I have been completely happy with the all the work the Citavi team have provided with each upgrade that I cannot think of anything I dislike about the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Citavi to others. It is easy to use and the company is constantly working on updates. I first purchased it at 3.0 it is now at 5.2! And the Customer Service is absolutely priceless!

I love the convenience of being able to keep all my citations in one program and attach my PDF files.

Citavi review by Philippe C.
Philippe C.

"Citavi helped me to focus on what is really important for literature research work "

What do you like best?

I like best being able to know that all the references that I need for a specific work are together and organized in one place. Citavi helps me to keep track of all information that I need . It's simply great to have all my citations, thoughts, images and videos gethered together in such a way that I can easily change to give my work a defined ans solid structure. With Citavi

What do you dislike?

It is actually hard to think about anything that I dislike. There is although some bugs that still need to be fixed. But that isn't a big problem, since the updates are quite frequent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't give up because it might be a little bit complicated in the beginning. Try to follow the tipps given in the web site and the tutorials.

I am writing cientific reviews about topics in machining processes

Citavi review by Henning C.
Henning C.

"Easy way to manage your documents for publication"

What do you like best?

That you have the complete literature that you used for the essay in a list. Quotations are easy to make with the tool.

What do you dislike?

The price seems to be a little bit too high for my expectations but overall it is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It makes the publication and work on a professional level a lot easier. I recommend it to anybody that has serious intentions on publicate a science work.

We are publicating science papers for marketing with this tool and it is very handy. A nice overview is granted if you use this tool.

Citavi review by Jetmir H.
Jetmir H.

"Great support in all the academic projects"

What do you like best?

With Citavi it is quite easy to manage the project, avoid chaos and always have a standard citation format. It is very helpful software which allows to always keeping an overview of the project. Once you are familiar with the system of citavi, there are almost no limits in support.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to get used to the software as it is very big.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and I am sure citavi will meet all the expectations.

I use it for academic research papers and as a storage for all my citations and PDF's

Citavi review by J. Catherine H.
J. Catherine H.

"Great for Dissertations and Thesis"

What do you like best?

The keywords that allow me to easily "link" concepts together and make a "word cloud". This makes writing my Lit Review chapter of my dissertation much easier. I was able to "synthesize" my topics with less stress. Also, the pdf "snag" option is great for getting individual articles links. I did research on the various citation software and Citavi won hands down! I have recommended Citavi to numerous fellow classmates and others working on their doctoral degrees.

What do you dislike?

When I do use the .pdf link, often the information is not in the format that I need to write my Sources Cited. The bibliography does not allow me to change line spacing according to APA format that is required for my papers. The citation styles does not sync with APA manual requirements, which means I often have to revert the style to one type of citation. The issues I have with the citation style not matching up with the required writing style (APA) is frustrating and often my choice is limited which means I have to go back and reformat the end citation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From all my research on other citation software, Citavi has almost everything to make my writing easier.

It worked great when I was typing my comprehensive exam, tremendous help. Someone at Citavi needs to match citation styles to mimic the requirements of the various writing styles (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.) that are required in the USA colleges.

Citavi review by User in Higher Education

"A must have for any graduate student"

What do you like best?

i use to do my bibliographies typing every single word, one character at a time, consuming time and energy. I discovered citavi when I started my Phd and it has been amazing. i input the ISBN numb and it builds my bibliography in a matter of minutes. i bought a hand held scanner and I scan the barcodes of any book, and again, I get a bibliography in minutes! No more having to go back and check one by one, page after page. The other features are added bonuses.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I need to pay for an upgrade when I recently bought the software.

The fact that it is located in my computer and I cannot access it from , say, my university library on my ipad

The fact that you need a manual to know all the available features...I probably only use 10%of what the software is able to do for me.

Less time spent organizing long bibliographies

Citavi review by Claudia Serwah P.
Claudia Serwah P.

"the best i have experienced so far"

What do you like best?

the online search function and the referencing types

What do you dislike?

I am still unable to integrate the word add in

Recommendations to others considering the product

it will save you so much time. the online search function is awesome. My only challenge is I am unable to integrate with word but overall its the best. It organises all the work in one place. No need to go back and forth copying and pasting.

it has helped immensely with my phd thesis. amazing software. it has saved me a lot of time

Citavi review by Grinal C.
Grinal C.

"Great for managing my references at work"

What do you like best?

Love that I can get my bibliographies done within minutes. It saves so much time and energy which was of importance to write my client reports to meet the deadlines. Gives me great confidence with the reports I have prepared.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to sync word format. Had some issues with couple of citations, other than that I am happy with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth trying it.

I make oncology screening reports for my clients.

Citavi review by Haytham E.
Haytham E.

"a great time saver"

What do you like best?

as i have mentiond bevor in my Review it a great time saver easy to use and very acurate what i like the mos about ist is the add on Feature in word it makes my life alot easier

What do you dislike?

the main tpoint was it not that user freindly it took me alot of time to get famelier with the softwear and how to use it

as a working ingeneer citation is a great deal for my Company to prevent andý future Problems it helped us a lot

Citavi review by User in Higher Education

"A good reference management tool for social science"

What do you like best?

As a business research student, I cite different authors and Citavi is very powerful and supportive with different style of citation. The function knowledge is extremely useful.

What do you dislike?

There are too many functions and it could be difficult for fist time users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like to suggest this software to social science students.

I am a PhD student, doing my research on international entrepreneurship. I realize using Citavi may help to save a lot of time.

Citavi review by Lukas K.
Lukas K.

"Great Software and support"

What do you like best?

Best technical support experience so far!

Fast response, friendly, caring, just perfect.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to mention.............

Writing academic papers with Citavi, Reference/source management

Citavi review by User

"Citavi for Scientific Research"

What do you like best?

- Friendly interaction

- Powerful research system

- Help to avoid plagiarism

What do you dislike?

- It does not function on Mac Operating system

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Citavi for writing Master thesis.

- I am writing my Master assignments on SMEs Development

- Ultilise the references

Learning about Citavi?

* We monitor all Citavi reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.