Clio

Clio provides a web-based practice management, time & billing and client collaboration platform for small to mid-sized law firms.

Work for Clio?

Learning about Clio?

Clio Reviews

Ask Clio a Question
Showing 159 Clio reviews
Clio review by Olivia J. S.
Olivia J. S.

"Clio makes it easy to track hours, manage clients and matters, and more! All for free :) "

What do you like best?

I love using Clio. I am a student attorney in a legal clinic at school, and Clio meets all our needs. It's free, and very straight-forward software (it didn't take long for us student attorneys to catch on to using it). It has many important features: it tracks time, allows us to easily assign that time to a client, has a place to keep client contact information, to track hours and productivity amongst ourselves, etc. It also allows us to easily upload documents and share them with each other. I highly reccomend this software.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything that I dislike about this product. It's met all of our needs at the clinic, and it's a great value since it's free to use!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it! It's free and web-based, so you really have nothing to lose. I've tried a few other case management software products out there, but this is still my favorite. It's simple/straight-forward but still has all the important features.

As I mentioned, it's very easy to use, so we don't have to spend a lot of time as student attorneys in the clinic learning new software. This is an efficient way to track and bill hours, manage case files, and share case documents with each other all through internet-based software that we can access anywhere and on any computer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Clio
Clio review by Brenda M.
Brenda M.

"Solid Solution for Solos / Small Firms"

What do you like best?

Intuitive interface - it is easy to learn to use this product with reasonable proficiency. Responsive support when you need it - chat and phone. Flexibility provided by numerous integrations - lets you add functionality not offered by the primary program. Comprehensive dashboard gives a good overview of firm metrics. Multiple methods of delivering invoices and documents to clients to suit your preferences. Handles trust accounting well.

What do you dislike?

Poor handling of past-due invoices - Clio payments link only allows payment of current invoice, not full amount. The workaround is to email the bill manually and provide a LawPay link, if you use LawPay.

Would prefer more batch-entry options for time and payments as well.

It would be nice to be able to cc yourself / the firm on billing emails.

Reporting functions could be a bit more robust / allow for greater customization - sometimes it is a bit difficult to pull data that I want, but it is nice to be able to export it to other formats (excel, csv, pdf, etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make use of the trial offered, to make sure it works for your needs.

Clio answers my small firm's need for legal billing, and helps me with practice management issues (like offering a secure portal for document sharing, cloud storage, etc.) It is a solid solution for a solo practitioner. It does not completely replace accounting software, but gives you enough to get started and handles trust well.

What Legal Case Management solution do you use?

Clio review by Jarad  D.
Jarad D.

"Clio streamlines time-keeping for Attorneys"

What do you like best?

I like that rather than having to keep track of 6 minute intervals on paper I can just start a timer in Clio and go. It also allows us to track tasks, expenses and bill quickly. We are Mac users so it has always worked well for our firm. Their customer service has been personable and helpful.

What do you dislike?

Some functions that we once had are now only available at higher levels of service. As we are a small firm we are very aware of every cost incurred. The newer interface has also taken me some time to get used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend everyone try it, as it may not be for larger firms that have more invested in their own systems. For us it has been useful and streamlined many of our processes.

We are solving the mundane administrative tasks that make the practice of law tedious at times.

Clio review by Carony C.
Carony C.

"All-in-One Management Practice with Banking features"

What do you like best?

The price and the plethora of features this case management program contains. First, the price is absolutely the best in the business. I can't say enough how affordable this program is. Price is based on each user and they have 3 tiers. The features seem endless: you can organize your whole case in this program (i.e., contacts, time entries, calendaring deadlines), bookkeeping and most importantly, keeping track of your IOLTA Account. You can generate billings from your time entries. You can accept payments electronically. You can send documents directly and securely to your clients through the program. One of the most valuable thing this program does is it also calculates all the court deadlines for you. That feature alone is one of the most valuable tool. Having been a paralegal for the past 20 years, I have learned that most of these features are offered through separate programs and you pay significantly for them. Clio helps a solo practitioner compete with the corporate giant law firms by keeping their practice expenses down.

What do you dislike?

The only part about the calendaring program that drives me nuts is having to put in the reminders every time I calendar a deadline. I usually have reminders at 2 weeks, 1 week and then 2 days for all deadlines and it would be nice to just set up the reminder once and then be able to recall the reminders whenever I have to calendar a deadline.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clio is very user friendly, and intuitive. The best part is if you have a laptop or an ipad, you can basically access Clio anywhere. If you want an affordable case management program with banking features that includes IOLTA Account, a court deadline calculator program, and a billing program with cloud storage, then Clio is the one for you. Clio is the best practice software and most affordable cloud program for a solo practitioner.

We've realized a lot more profits with Clio and have had to use less software as Clio is an all in one management program.

Clio review by Lorna R.
Lorna R.

"Easy for a Non-Tech Lawyer"

What do you like best?

I love that time/billing management and case management is combined with this software. I like that I can see what's going on in the case, but also see the time billed, plus the actual bills. I like that it is cloud based, so I can access our case files remotely.

What do you dislike?

I wish the apps did as much as the website does. I would like to run filters on time entries, for example. I also wish the calendar function updated every few minutes. We have to manually refresh the calendar to make sure we have the most updated one. I also think there are quirky issues when you add or remove calendar events. For example, if I created the event, but just wanted to remove myself, not everyone else, I think the whole event gets deleted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe this product is affordable, but I am not sure as to actual cost. The product is the most user friendly case management/billing software I have seen. I would definitely recommend this product.

I am tracking my billable time and the revenue I generate. This helps my productivity and client management. I can easily see how much a client has in his/her trust account while simultaneously looking at the notes feature to determine what has happened in the case.

Clio review by Edgar A.
Edgar A.

"Amazing Service! "

What do you like best?

I love how the new Clio update is smoother and enhanced at the look. I appreciate all aspects of Clio and can see myself using it for literally everything. Clio has a great capability to connect with Dropbox and the Cloud. It’s easy to find a matter with Clio’s automatic matter creator and the way it syncs with DropBox after creating a letter is amazing. I feel like the best part of Clio is the new update but ultimately, it’s the best way to track all of your time, activities and tasks for law practice, docement keeping and communication!

What do you dislike?

I do not like how the Clio App does not work properly with the Fijustu Scansnap Scanner. When scanning a document it allows you to find the mater number for the document but it’s should ALSO add the information/documents to DropBox. This would save time from needing to save the same file in two different locations.

I am solving law practice problems. I no longer have to search for everything as it is on one place!

Clio review by Chelsea G.
Chelsea G.

"Clio: A One Stop Shop for Legal Practice Management Software"

What do you like best?

What I love about Clio is that it puts virtually everything our firm needs in one place, and it is a cloud-based system so I don't have to be at the office to access it. Clio integrates with a lot of other programs as well, so if we want or need to use other software it usually has the capability to work with Clio. We use the Clio for Gmail integration and are able to save all email communication directly to Clio, as well as syncing our contacts and our calendars.

Clio has all sorts of solutions for keeping track of your time, and their timers can be accessed from Gmail, the cell phone app, and anywhere within Clio. Time entries can be edited and/or duplicated and can be linked to individual employees or legal matters. You can also use Clio to keep track of client expenses.

Clio has a notes section for each matter and contact so there's no reason to use paper notes that get lost or forgotten. Clio also gives you the ability to make tasks and task lists for yourself and others. Each task for task list can also be tied to a matter, so it's easy to figure out what task you should be completing and for which client.

Clio gives you the ability to keep track of client and matter trust accounts, operating accounts, and all accounting that happens regarding a client or matter. This includes features like creating and sharing invoices and trust requests. We use Clio Payments as well, so everything really starts and ends with Clio. There are also several reports that can be run in Clio as well, and they are all fully customizable.

All in all, Clio is the hub of our legal practice.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite part about Clio is billing, but it is still very functional despite its shortcomings. I know that there are updates planned though, and until then, we still like the functionality enough that we have never considered other solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Clio a chance! I cannot recommend it enough. For every "quirky" feature or feature that is lacking, there are 10 other features to make up for it. For everything that is offered with Clio, including excellent customer support, Clio is a steal!

Clio is awesome! We pretty much use Clio to solve ALL of our business problems. It's a centralized program that we use for all of our contacts, all of our billing, every legal matter, calendaring appointments for 6 staff members in two locations, tasks to be completed, timekeeping, reporting, and anything else you can think of! Clio really does make my life easier on a daily basis.

Clio review by Andrew  G.
Andrew G.

"Awesome Case Management Software "

What do you like best?

We like the flexibility and customization options Clio offers. We switched from client profiles a few years ago and never looked back. Clio is the future of our firm and implements cutting edge technology that not only increases our efficiency and saves us time, but also put our firm in a position to grow. We recently started practicing in a new area of law, and our firm was able to start doing this effectively from a case management standpoint with no problem.

What do you dislike?

As I have always said when I review Clio, the only real issue that we have is technical. Sometimes, the Clio servers are experiencing high volume or the document generator is having a technical issue. These types of problems are not common considering the fact that we use Clio all day every day, and I think they would occur regardless of the platform we chose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clio integrates easily with google. We switched our office to a corporate gmail account and drive account. We have no limitations on space and it is cost effective. If you get Clio, I would take a hard look at what google has to offer.

Time savings is a big one. We are constantly refining our procedures, but we can always do that with Clio. We never run into the problem of not being able to implement something due to limitations with our software. The second would be billing. I have been able to "show my attorneys the light" so to speak with the time keeping feature. It is efficient, precise, and easy to use. The last major thing would be mobile access. I use Clio on my phone and mobile devices every day.

Clio review by Dolores  S.
Dolores S.

"Great Customer Service and program"

What do you like best?

I like the customer service center because every time I have called I have never waited more than 5 minutes for my issues to be resolved. The representatives are very knowledgeable of the program. Also, our invoices are very easy to read for our customers.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything, maybe that just on a few occasions I can't find what I need but then I call and my issue is resolved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very easy, friendly and inexpensive program that will make your business run so much better. You won't have to spend so much time trying to figure out how to run the program it is very easy so you can spend less time worrying about your job is correctly done.

Our billing has become extremely easy for us. I am not spending so much time as before.

Clio review by Ana Laura M.
Ana Laura M.

"Very intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to keep all the clients organized. It makes it very easy to manage all the client files and/or any type of communication.

What do you dislike?

Thus far there is nothing I dislike about Clio. I think it works great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a platform to manage your files, Clio is it! It makes it very easy to manage the case load. You can do everything in one place and that's what is so great about using Clio. I especially like the "communications" and "notes" components of Clio because it makes it super easy to keep track of client communications/records.

We use it at our law clinic and we use it for different types of cases.

Clio review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Clio has helped us manage and nurture a large amount of growth in short amount of time."

What do you like best?

Clio is very intuitive and, therefore, easy to use. It make it possible to track cases that will have extremely lengthy periods of inactivity. Clio also makes it easy to assign tasks to others and track the progress of those tasks. It has also made it possible for our firm to open satellite offices and allow people to work remotely while having complete access to a case file.

What do you dislike?

There are not a lot of things I dislike about Clio. If I had to get picky, I would like it if, after you marked a task as complete, you were returned to the place where you left off instead of the first page of your task list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schedule a demo with Clio so they can walk you through their features.

We have increased productivity in our mailings department because they can use templates to send notices to clients. Our accounting team can also produce mass invoices from templates, which has been very helpful. Clio has also allowed multiple attorneys to have access to the entire file simultaneously, which is very helpful in a practice with cases that are pending before multiple agencies.

Clio review by Shin C.
Shin C.

"Versatile, Comprehensive Practice Mgmt"

What do you like best?

Clio comes with a wide array of built-in features which, when properly utilized, effectively addresses most if not all aspects of law practice management (client/matter accounting, file storage and organization, document automation (fantastic), secure channel for sharing documents and other matter resources.

As if that weren't enough, Clio comes with excellent integration potential. That is, the ability to link your Clio account to a number of other 3rd party services.

What do you dislike?

Small gripes: Pricing overall is not bad, but I do feel that the additional features available for the middle-tier "boutique" subscription should be available at the most basic level. But again, even after having to upgrade, I think it's still a great bargain for all the stuff you get even with the additional cost.

Document automation and the ability to sync everything with my G Suite.

Clio review by Sara M.
Sara M.

"Clio goes anywhere and keeps me straight."

What do you like best?

I love that I can make small tasks to break down steps in cases. Also, the records are clear and concise with timekeeping built in. The timekeeping and online payment processing were the cinchers.

What do you dislike?

I wish Clio had a check pay feature and showed account balances in real time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Also consider how your bank accounts will connect to clio. Explore the apps as well, especially if you haven't decided on software for other functions.

It is easier to show clients what I have done for them and what I need from them. My record keeping is clear and organized, but I can still fix mistakes. It also helps me keep track of efforts made to contact or bill clients. I can keep smaller tasks in mind while staying focused on legal work.

Clio review by Courtney Alise L.
Courtney Alise L.

"Great for Making a Small Firm Feel Well Organized"

What do you like best?

Clio is relatively easy to use and allows small firms to stay up on billing clients, keeping track of client information, etc. Clio has allowed us to have a single service to keep track of our clients and cases.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a bit more of an opportunity for customization, such as marking a phone number as the individual who the contract is under when that is not the direct client, etc., and I would like to see more customization in the billing section as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clio is a little difficult to use at first and not completely customizable, but once you get working with it, the program helps organize many different factors of a business.

My small firm did not have any sort of one stop shop for all of its client information. This is revolutionizing our abilities as a firm.

User in Legal Services

"CLIO is the best alternative for the solo practitioner"

What do you like best?

Small-firm lawyers only spend 61% of their time practicing law. For solos, that number is 55%. Fully 21% of your time goes to managing your firm and administration. CLIO can help you cut the time you spend on administrative tasks and help you (and your clients) get more value out of your time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that the system is not intuitive. I would also like a better integration with Google and Apple applications. I would love a file management system like Google Drive integrated in the system. The current system is hard to use. There is a lot of self-training that I need to invest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With the exception of billing features, Clio is probably a better case management system than MyCase. If you have a lot of clients, or very complicated matters, and you’ve got billing mostly under control, Clio can be an excellent option. My case’s billing is better. Keep in mind that billing and other comparable features cost extra with Clio. If you need help streamlining your billing, accounting, and reporting, MyCase is a great option. And many find it very easy to use. If you want a more robust case management system but you have billing mostly under control, you should go with Clio.

When it comes to integrations, Clio is the clear winner out of any other alternative. I especially like how it works seamlessly with LawPay.

Clio review by Gary H.
Gary H.

"Clio Is indispensable to my solo practice"

What do you like best?

Clio has knowledgeable support people at their help desk. When I implemented Clio over 3 years ago, I would call Clio Help several times a month to address issues dealing mostly with trust accounting and billing. I am a family law practitioner so trust accounting and bill generation is critical. Clio has a seamless comprehensive approach to creating fee bills, accepting payments and maintaining client trust account balances. Clio provides flexibility to custom craft the fee bills and it is almost impossible to make a mistake that cannot be fixed. My fee bills are accurate and sharp; there is maximum ability to edit fee bills before final approval. Clio provides a variety of reports including work in progress and individual client statement of accounts. It is super easy to enter time and expenses. I also feel secure that Clio is on the cutting edge of technology and the platform is routinely adding new features to make comprehensive case management easy. The client portal, for example is a key selling point. So is the use of third party applications like lawpay or indexing Outlook emails.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I can find to complain about with respect to Clio. It is priced fairly and easy to add and subtract users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no better comprehensive litigation management program on the market. To demonstrate Clio's commitment to their platform, take a look at their annual meeting. The agenda items show that Clio is planning for the future. This gives me assurances that my investment in time to learn the platform is worth the effort. On another note, Clio is very easy to use and learn on the fly. As you run into something that you can't figure out, a ten minute phone call to Clio Help Desk will solve your problem and teach you how to avoid this problem in the future. There is no need for any outside consultants or specialized training. Clio has all the learning items on video and online - or, you can always secure a friendly, confident, and capable support person to help you through any problems.

Key for my practice is the entry of time; the ability to edit these time entries and then to coordinate the trust accounting features that show up on the client fee bills. I use the work in progress report and account receivables report to manage my work flow.

Clio review by Jason R.
Jason R.

"Pretty good for now, hope to see lots of growth in the future"

What do you like best?

Excellent for time entry and tracking - gives you a great many places and ways to log time so that you're less likely to miss out on tracking and billing opportunities. Good availability for cloud storage - would like to see some growth in how files can be managed once they're in Clio. Billing seems to be a snap. I like the document versioning, though I'd like to see it work a little bit more seamlessly. Ideally I'd like to be able to open up a document by clicking on it in Clio, have it open up in Word, edit it and save it and have it pop onto Clio on its own with no further interaction from my end. Not there now, but perhaps (hopefully?) someday.

Like the iOS app - great for entering time, good for entering voice memos.

What do you dislike?

The Quickbooks integration can be wonky - doesn't always play nicely. Cloud storage can be clunky - would like a click and drag organization solution. Would like to see a better integration with office 365 email, similar to that which exists for gmail. The third party vendor solution is not particularly effective, plus it tacks on a tax for using Office 365 that is not borne by gmail users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not great for collection practices.

Accessibility of information and modernization of document storage, matter management. Huge increase in degree of flexibility - ability to work remotely has gone up exponentially. Really like that I can work from the beach instead of having to be at my desk.

Clio review by Danielle H.
Danielle H.

"Great tool - legal tech that actually delivers"

What do you like best?

The best part of Clio is the ease of billing and time tracking. I can create beautiful invoices with a few clicks. Once you get it setup it works very well.

I also like that I can securely share documents with clients by dragging and dropping. The sharing features are helpful.

What do you dislike?

Many of the features are close to perfect but miss some essential things.

1. Flat fee biling - the platform is designed for hourly billing. As an immigration lawyer most of my practice is done via flat fees. There are work arounds, but they are not intuitive.

2. Billing for filing fees - as an immigration lawyer I bill clients for filing fees. These fees are client property and there isn't an easy way to account for this as they go right into my trust account. I have to "write them off" in the Clio platform. It's counter intuitive and seems like a feature that should be there.

3. Lack of integration with google drive - it will create a file structure within google drive (kind of) - mine has been very buggy and frankly not useful. It also doesn't push documents between the Clio files and Google Drive. That would be truly useful, e.g. if a client uploads a document to Clio it automatically ends up in my google drive.

4. Lack of notifications when a client uploads documents to Clio. I have to manually check the firm feed when a client uploads documents.I should be able to get a notification.

5. Inability to see an archive of messages when something is shared. I often write a message to a client when I share a folder, document or bill - there is presently no way for me to see that.

6. I wish there was more customization when looking at a Matter and ability to edit fields without "editing a matter". You can create as many custom fields as your heart desires, which is great. It would be helpful to customize the way a matter looks because the way fields are displayed isn't visually intuitive. It's just in order, which is not wrong, it's just not great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best practice management and billing platform I've found. It's legal tech that isn't a bait and switch for un-tech savvy older lawyers. I'm confident as they add features and improve the platform it will only get better. I use it daily.

Effective and efficient billing is the best feature - I can get my bills out to clients quickly. The integration with Law Pay is also great. It helps me get paid faster.

Secure document sharing is also a plus. Dragging and dropping documents is a useful feature - saves time.

Clio review by Ulisce D.
Ulisce D.

"Excellent client/billing management software"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to approach and natural to use. It lets you simply and rapidly manage your client list, specific matters and billing.

What do you dislike?

The monthly cost is a little steep, but the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you wish to cut time spent doing administrative tasks instead of billable hours than Clio's what you need.

The follow up on billing is made so easy that it becomes impossible to forget billable hours or expenses. The ease of use regarding the billing experience makes it so you never have to put it back to another day anymore. A couple of clicks and you have a custom invoice ready to send to your client.

Clio review by User

"Great support staff, but would like more customization with running reports."

What do you like best?

The 24/7 online tech support has been very beneficial for our firm and making the change to a new program. It's very simple to add time and expenses and very easy to set up a new client. I like that it's web-based and can be accessed with a cell phone.

What do you dislike?

Billing and reports. I want to be able to resend invoices in bulk instead of unsharing and sharing each unpaid invoice every moth. I also have add a lot of issues with trying to run accurate reports as far as activities for staff. Clio support has been good with trying to help, but we have yet to come to a solution. Also, need more options with regards to sending past due invoices.

The biggest benefit has been that we are no longer required to use remote access. This has saved us money onserver storage.

Clio review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Small firm? You need Clio."

What do you like best?

Clio has streamlined our processes so much. My favorite part is the task function. It has kept us so much more organized and informed. I don't need to email or go check in with the other paralegal to see if she has completed or is working on a task. I just check the task tab for updates.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any dislikes. I originally would have said that I wish it integrated with Docketbird, but I just found out that it does now!

We're a small firm - 5 employees - so we really needed to streamline our processes. One of our attorneys is a court appointed attorney and we have numerous appearances and other standard pleadings that we must prepare for him each week. What used to take hours to complete now only takes a few minutes with document automation. Clio saves us so much time - time that can now be spent focusing directly on clients.

Clio review by Samantha S.
Samantha S.

"Get time back in your firm "

What do you like best?

I love Clio! It has allowed us to take our firm paperless, allows us to work from anywhere, and also allowed us to streamline many of our processes. With the addition of Lexicata and LawPay - we have a smooth running machine!

What do you dislike?

There is very little I dislike about Clio - I know they can add more and do more in the future but the software is invaluable the way it is!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try it! It really is a great piece of software and the customer service team is top notched! There really isn't anything to lose by giving it a shot!

We are able to work from anywhere, have all of our information at a glance, and be much more organized.

Clio review by Melanie N. A.
Melanie N. A.

"Good Practice Management Tool"

What do you like best?

You can keep everything in one place: calendar, billing, client info, documents, etc. It's very helpful to have everything organized this way. I can look up a client's contact information and look at notes from our last conference in one place. I can review and manage my billing and see if the last filed document was uploaded and shared with the client.

What do you dislike?

Clio doesn't have a calendaring function where you can link other calendar items together like a chain. For example, if I want to calendar a case management conference, I also want to calendar the date to meet and confer. I would like that to happen automatically, but you have to manually enter each calendar event.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely have a representative go over the functions with you. It's helpful to have them show you everything. It's a simple set up, but you don't want to miss out on everything it has to offer.

This saves a lot of time and keeps cases organized very well.

"Helpful"

What do you like best?

It helps our office organize our calendar and keep client information all in one location. It minimizes the amount of other services we need to use. I believe the timekeeping feature is one of the best assets. It allows everyone in the office to keep time, even run a timer, on specific matters throughout the day to ensure that billable time is not lost. We've had a great deal of overall business improvements by using Clio.

What do you dislike?

The calendaring system is too easy to accidentally make a mistake. We've had several instances when an appointment is moved by accident and it is unable to undo the mistake. Many times a simple wrong click of the mouse has moved an appointment or calendared matter from the slot it was in to a new place that cannot be found. Sometimes when adding an appointment, the system places the time on the nearest Sunday by default, which is an odd day of the week for a regular business. I also wish it would improve its connectivity and flow functionality with other programs such as Lexicata, which we also use, to allow for better integration. My employers have also had difficulty with certain aspects of billing when creating invoices for clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ability to have everything all in one place is the best feature.

We are able to keep all client information in one concise place. We can store documents and keep time all at the same time.

Clio review by Renee S.
Renee S.

"Clio Review - Government Attorney's Office "

What do you like best?

Clio is a user friendly, efficient way to store and manage files and client information. We like the ability to access and share Clio files when out of the office. We also appreciate the additional online access to training and resources through Clio.

What do you dislike?

We have no dislikes. We just need to continue to develop additional expertise at using all aspects of Clio. I have some difficulty in getting other programs to connect and work well with Clio, some of this is operator error, I'm sure, but with additional effort on my part and advances Clio is consistently making, I expect this to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many resources within Clio that we have yet to master. In hindsight, before launching our use of it, I would have spent more dedicated time training and learning on the front end. It's so user friendly, it was easy to just jump in and learn as we go, but that prolonged I think, our mastering some of the more intricate aspects of Clio. Good training up front for any users. And continued learning as Clio introduces more functions and capabilities.

Document and matter maintenance. Connectivity and sharing for attorneys that work off site. Clio also provides us with secure cloud storage of files converted from hard copy to electronic format, so our physical storage space needs for hard copy documents is decreased. Clio is also cost effective and we have very few technical issues with it.

Clio review by Stephanie H.
Stephanie H.

"We started using Clio when we started a new law practice. Looking for "mobile" capability."

What do you like best?

It's in the cloud! No matter where we are, if we have cell service or internet we have our files at our fingertips. It has enabled us to practice anywhere in the state.

What do you dislike?

Changing pre-populated forms can be time consuming. I would like to see the intake portion more customizable, some files all I need is a name, contact info and type of file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of the many I previewed, ease of use and ability to restrict files makes Clio the top runner for the small practitioner office!

Being able to have entire cases and files in the cloud and available wherever we are, as long as we have internet or cell service.

Clio review by Thomas S.
Thomas S.

"Adaptable & Forward-thinking Practice Management Software"

What do you like best?

When we left a national firm to setup a boutique practice, we initially turned to one of the large practice management software providers. After a year of problems with that cumbersome software, we switched to Clio and it's been smooth sailing ever since. The software is cloud-based making it easy to access anywhere. It has a modern design and is very intuitive. It also has a range of features (i.e. timekeeping, calendar, billing, conflict checking etc) so the entire firm will likely benefit from it.

What do you dislike?

There's very little we dislike with Clio, especially as compared to the more traditional practice management tools. There was a bit of work moving our contacts over from our old software to Clio and had to do some manual entry for one contact information field.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking to switch software, Clio should absolutely be considered and will likely be near the top of the list of available options. Most important thing to consider though is not how the lawyers will use it, but how staff / bookkeepers will use it for billing. There may be integration issues to consider depending on what accounting tools you use.

Clio makes it easy for us to ensure we capture all our time, move it through to billing, and track receivables. Also as we face a number of tight deadlines, it acts as another layer of protection in ensuring we don't miss anything.

Clio review by Alicia I.
Alicia I.

"Doesn't get much better than Clio!"

What do you like best?

I love that it is a robust platform that is constantly evolving into a better product! It has everything that you would want in order to build efficiencies into your practice, from time capturing to managing your docket, to document automation and branding, Clio can do just about everything you would want it to do. And if it can't there are a host of integrations that work with Clio to completely automate managing your practice or time keeping.

What do you dislike?

I don't have a lot that I dislike about Clio. I trust it. It's reliable. It's secure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it an honest try, explore all of the features, and ask questions! Clio support is always happy to help!

Geographic constraints with having a hard server was the first obstacle that Clio helped us resolved. Now we can practice from anywhere. I can send an invoice from my phone or my MacBook. I can also send a document or bill a phone call or look at my docket. Schedule a meeting find contact information or specific case details that I need. And I don't have to go to different places to do it. I can just log into Clio!

As our practice has grown, Clio has helped make the transition easy! Now it helps me to maximize our efficiencies or identify our inefficiencies by using the reporting features.

Clio review by Kristin B.
Kristin B.

"Decent case management software"

What do you like best?

Each individual matter's main interface has everything you need to know at a glance.

What do you dislike?

The program is somewhat cumbersome. I end up putting most of the pertinent information into the Notes section instead of the main interface, because it's not logically organized. I like the product, but definitely see room for improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I came into a firm without familiarity with other cloud-based systems, so I don't have much to compare with Clio. On its own, it does the job and keeps information organized and accessible. I do think it could be streamlined. Sometimes navigating back and forth among tabs and matters becomes bulky; perhaps Clio could allow more than one matter "open" at once. Were I involved in the selection process, I would do my homework among the case management software available before selecting Clio.

This is a great cloud-based system, making access from anywhere a breeze.

Clio review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"All in one office in a box!"

What do you like best?

I love all the features but as a manager I love the task feature. I can assign tasks, associate it with a matter to make billing easy, notify the person by email that they have a new task and get notified as soon as the task is complete. I also do weekly task reports so I can monitor if people are not completing task and if it is a workload issue (too many tasks on the task list) or a time management issues (just having issues completing the tasks).

What do you dislike?

We have issues with the sync feature which get annoying but are always easily resolved by out IT techs and rarely require Clio support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of trainings and webinars, use them to get the most out of the software!

No problems. Benefits are amazing. I have two lawyers and a staff member who are 100% telecommuting employees and they are able to have full access to case files everything they need without having to be in the office or ask someone in the office to get things for them. Works wonderfully.

Clio review by Ashley D.
Ashley D.

"Clio is a quick and easy way to track all your billables. "

What do you like best?

I like how simple the product is to user; it’s very user-friendly.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is how the clients name appears when you’re inputting time. Sometimes it’s hard to see which client you’re billing to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make your billing take 2 min out of your day.

It takes 2 minutes to enter time into the system as opposed to 20. Saving time means I can allocate more time to actual projects and bill more hours in a day.

Clio review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Clio is great for law firm management!"

What do you like best?

I like that Clio has the ability to organize clients and cases, as well as important contacts. In one system, you can track your time, communications and tasks. I like the timer capabilities to track time so that you don't have to specifically keep an eye on the clock or estimate time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Clio does not directly integrate with all Microsoft programs. It would be nice if there was an ability to set prioritization of tasks, that way employees have the ability to see which tasks are most important to complete first. It would also be helpful if completed tasks were tracked, so that lawyers can track the task productivity of their employees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clio is a great program for law firms of all sizes! It will integrate with Google and social networking sites. It also helps that Clio provides an app that can be used on cell phones and iPads, for meetings or travel.

I am able to solve the problems of case organization and task distribution. I have realized the benefits of Clio's ability to keep all important information in one system.

Clio review by Helen V.
Helen V.

"Clio - The one-stop shop"

What do you like best?

Clio is all the client/customer management software you'll ever need for your office. Use the Contacts tab to enter and track all your contacts, then create a matter under that contact when you begin actually doing business with/for them. Create invoices for your services and "share" them with your clients via the secure portal, Clio Connect. You can also "share" documents with your clients and they with you securely via Clio Connect. No need to worry if your emails get hacked, Clio is encrypted and all your files are safe. There probably isn't a way to have your office completely paperless, but Clio will get you as close as you can come to that goal.

What do you dislike?

Client information entered is not in alpha order, but you can search for clients anyway with their filter option.

Great for storage of client contact and file data; love the invoice feature - saves so much time when clients can pay us directly thru Clio.

Clio review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Clio keeps me organized, efficient, and paid"

What do you like best?

Clio's integration with LawPay is fantastic and an absolute game-changer for a small practice. The fact that a Clio subscription covers the LawPay monthly service fees make it a no-brainer for any attorney thinking about taking online credit card payments. Clio makes time-keeping, billing, and receiving payment so seamless that the payment features alone are worth the price. What used to be a weekend spent reviewing bills and sending individual emails is now a half hour of a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

There are a few usability issues that you have to learn to live with. Certain tasks, like creating a document from a template, require you to manually refresh the page with your browser. Once in a great while, you'll notice some performance issues as the Clio team is wrestling with some server issue. While the web interface makes installation and maintenance non-issues, there are also usability limitations that a browser-based application has compared to a rich client experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best platform for the price, hands down.

Clio helps me maintain a paperless filing system. It also has dramatically improved time capture, billing, and payment, which has resulted in higher revenue.

Clio review by Thomas V.
Thomas V.

"Clio keeps me on track!"

What do you like best?

I love the versatility of Clio. The calendaring system syncs through Office 365 to my phone. It helps me keep track of all of my appointments in real time. I also love that you can sync Clio invoices with Quickbooks Online.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could organize email in a more efficient manner through Clio. Clio provides an email address to file emails for a particular matter, but it is a bit cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Clio!

I'm learning how to use the template capabilities. That will help me generate forms much more quickly.

User in Legal Services

"One stop shop for management of law firm cases"

What do you like best?

Clio is very user friendly and makes it easy to find the information you need with it's ability to initiate searches from a number of different screens.

What do you dislike?

So far, the only negative thing for me is the need to refresh the page in order to see a new document that has been generated from a template. It would be nice if it was more automatic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool that can improve your firms' ability to organize data and rely less on paper copies, Clio is excellent!

Task tracking is very important in our very deadline drive industry. This is one more way our team can all be on the same page when it comes to knowing the status of our firms' cases.

Clio review by Owen H.
Owen H.

"Fantastic solution for small law practices"

What do you like best?

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%.

I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box.

What do you dislike?

There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship.

The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't fight the software. There are certain ways it wants you to do things. Let it help you get more organized. Add custom fields only if you really need to.

This software is the hub of operations for my business. All of our workflow turns on the information we put into and get out of Clio. We use other software too, but this is the primary source of truth. We couldn't run the business without it.

Clio review by JoAnna D.
JoAnna D.

"Clio Helps Me Work Smarter"

What do you like best?

• Ease of Use

• Mobile App

• Integration with Other Business Applications

• Reporting Features

• Trust Accounting

• Customer Service

• Training

• Invoice Customization

• Merchant Card Integration with LawPay

What do you dislike?

• I wish Clio was a full accounting solution. Although Clio has the ability to integrate with accounting software, I would prefer that Clio handle it all with no back-and-forth between apps.

• Other than that, Clio is a very robust and versatile practice management tool that serves my needs well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When deciding on a practice management solution for your law firm, do trials and demos of the software you are considering to see what works for you.

I practice law with my husband — I'm detail-oriented, while he is more a big-picture type of person. I'm also a CPA, and I am very particular about the way I want transactions and time entries entered on the books. In the past, it has been difficult for me to get him to follow my directives. With Clio, however, everything gets entered according to my specifications. Unlike other practice management systems we have tried, Clio's learning curve is low, and my partner was easily able to learn what he needed to know to make me happy. A win-win for both of us!

Clio review by Forrest C.
Forrest C.

"Clio saves me at least 10 hours a month and the cost of hiring a legal assistant."

What do you like best?

I like that Clio handles streamlined time tracking, invoicing, and online bill payments, that it provides a secure client portal, and that it enables me to automate assembly of simple documents.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see logic (if/then statements) and clause-selection options (including the option to omit text entirely) in the document assembly system. I also wish I had the option to apply fine-tuned controls over the branding in the document portal (via custom CSS) and invoices (i.e., the ability to use my own fonts).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have not used other practice management software, and I assume competitors offer a comparable product. My experience overall has been very positive with Clio, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is looking for a practice management solution for the first time or who is unhappy with their current practice management provider. I have heard some say that "Clio does a lot of things, but none of them particularly well." I disagree. Clio does time tracking, billing, and payment processing (which requires a LawPay or similar account) very well. I do not understand why anyone would pay separately for a time-tracking system while also using Clio. If anything, give the product a try to see if it will work for you.

Clio does 75% of what a legal assistant and bookkeeper would otherwise be doing for me, and I benefit by not having to hire those people. It also makes 1,000 routine administrative tasks easier and centralized.

Clio review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"Great way to stay organized"

What do you like best?

I love that you can easily track trust account balances. It’s easy to send invoices and receive payments.

What do you dislike?

The reporting could be better. In the bookkeeping role, I would love to easily pull a trust account balance report by any given date (ex: month end) andnhave it broken down by client and matter. The reporting could use improvements and is clunky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool to organize your legal billing. Take the time to stay on top of it and you will save yourself lots of billing headaches.

Clio helps streamline the bookkeeping. I sync it to QBO, which creates efficiency by cutting back on data entry.

Clio review by Jonathan S.
Jonathan S.

"The best Cloud-based Practice Management System"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use. Training was very easy compared to other systems. I like the clean interface and the fact that an iOS app is available. It is great that everything is available in one location. It is the one app, more than any other, that our firm uses. It is open on everyone's desktop all throughout the day.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could be improved. I feel that the software is expensive. The tiered pricing seems somewhat arbitrary and doesn't make sense to me. Billing workflow could be improved particularly around trust accounting and applying trust bills. I'm not sure that it quite fits our firm's structure. For example, I have no desire or need (99% of the time perhaps) to see what other attorneys in my firm are doing. It would be nice, particularly in the billing and matters sections, if Clio would only show data related to me. As it stands today, I have to manually apply a filter every time I go to the billing and matters screens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that Clio is the best cloud-based practice management system out there.

We had a mishmash of different systems that didn't really work together well. Clio was the solution that enabled us to combine multiple disparate systems into one. Clio's assistance on data conversion was fantastic. Now we have one place for all our practice-related data!

Clio review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Amazing, keeps our office on top of things."

What do you like best?

The task system is amazing. We have also received a lot of positive feedback from our clients about the client portal. It is also great that it is unlimited cloud storage.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could create repeating tasks. I also wish that a client's retainer was automatically applied to their bill when a bill is generated so they know how much is left and it takes the extra step out for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely fantastic. Only have minor suggestions to add and am always suggesting Clio to people.

It keeps us really organized and gives our client's up to the minute updates on their cases.

Clio review by Sean R.
Sean R.

"The only way to practice law in 2017"

What do you like best?

Clio is an essential asset to our practice. We have found the app intuitive yet advanced. We have recovered significant amounts of fees as a result of using the practice management software.

What do you dislike?

It would be so amazing if it had accounting integrated. Also need better larger picture overview of firm billings and financial analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the product and all its features. It will come back in its value quickly.

It is solving recapturing otherwise lost billings as well as solving the challenges of having a highly mobile and paperless practice.

Clio review by Sarah S.
Sarah S.

"Legal software."

What do you like best?

Keeping each client separate as well as each case. Some clients have multiple cases. I like that you can put down many different modes of contact information. Everyone at Clio is very friendly and helpful. I've had a couple of problems with the program and have had them resolved very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Not able to customize fields in most areas. The calendar can have things deleted and then they pretty much disappear. We had someone breaking into our system and deleting things and we only caught it because I had to use this back-door way to see things deleted. The billing functions are very strange. You can't just pay a bill and have it attached to the beginning of the balance, you have to bill the amount on any one bill and then move to the next. For instance, if you bills are 100 and 300 respectively and your client pays you 400, you have to post that as 2 payments, one for 100 on the bill for 100 and another on the bill for 300 to pay that off. It sometimes makes clients uncomfortable to see it paid out that way because they know they paid $400, but we don't have any payments of $400. Which means we also keep documentation in notes, which is a waste of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have someone working with the software who knows how to keep track of things. Sometimes it can be hard to remember things and the reminder functions are somewhat difficult to use.

Keeping digital files is imperative today. This doesn't matter what field you are in, but prior to working in the legal field, I worked in nursing homes and found that the more automated and electronic your business can be, the more you can actually get done. I have recently increased our use of the documents function and have found that this is very helpful. If we lived in an area where everyone lives in the future, it would make it a little easier (my boss can't print something on the spot in a place that doesn't have broadband access, for instance), but when the other areas of the world become accessible to it, this will become even more useful.

Clio review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Clio Law Practice Management "

What do you like best?

Clio is a robust practice management system that can be tailored to meet the needs of almost any firm, regardless of size or practice area. Documents, communication, tasks, and billing can all be handled within Clio. Clio also integrates with a number of third party vendors, which can be quite helpful at times. Tech support is readily available when needed.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve can be a little frustrating at first. Clio has so many features available and if you don't take the time to learn how to use them, you won't get much out of the software. In addition, Clio's pricing is based on the number of employees in the firm and employees (even support staff) can't share login information. For our firm, our support staff rarely, if ever, log in to Clio. But since we want them to have access to the files and information within Clio, we have to pay monthly subscription fees for them.

I've used Clio in a few different environments and have found it quite helpful in organizing documents, encouraging and facilitating communication and collaboration, time tracking, and other general case management needs.

"user friendly"

What do you like best?

The document automation feature with templates was one of my favorite features. This saved me time in creating standard disengagement letters as well as entries of appearance. I appreciate that I can easily pull the firm's account ledgers and view by date or by matter. Matters are also numbered by date added, and they offer a free trial to test the program. Clio is often availanle

What do you dislike?

I wish I could print individual client trust ledgers when I am in the client's matter. Instead, I have to go to the reports feature. This is fine, but when closing out matters I would prefer to be able to do everything in one area. The software is not client friendly. I dislike that LawPay doesn't integrate back into clio for payments. For example, if I send a client an invoice on LawPay and they pay, it will not log the payment, I have to manually go back in to clio to track the payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clio is great for creating documents from templates. I had several form letters and basic entry of appearance templates that saved me a lot of time.

Clio integrates with Lexicata, which we like for being able to send clients documents to esign. We are saving time with templates and document automation. Also, the LawPay membership with our subscription level is nice as I do like that software for payments.

Clio review by Stephanie A.
Stephanie A.

"Intuitive case management software"

What do you like best?

Recording time and billing clients is simple.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you have to click on several different tabs to get to a single piece of information. Bills should be able to sort by last payment date. When you type a date, you have to type mm/dd/yyyy - it will not fill in the missing information for you.

We moved from paper-based record keeping to electronic case management, which has created a much more streamlined workflow, and better ease working remotely.

Clio review by Loraine M. D.
Loraine M. D.

"Clio has improved a lot of things for our practice"

What do you like best?

The time tracking is great. The timers work well and it's very easy to track multiple matters. I've saved several hours each month from not having to enter time separately from written records and I don't think I'm losing as much. The ability to link contacts to different matters is also helpful, and the client portal is great.

What do you dislike?

The expense entry system is clunky; it would be much better if we could set up different types of expenses with a set value and then just enter the number of items for that expense charge. The billing system is also clunky, and a payment recorded on a previous invoice does not show on a later invoice, which means it's more difficult to send clients an update on their bills, and it would be nice if it were easier to set up interest on accounts and to generate copies of overdue bills that need to be sent again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not the best choice for a stand-alone contacts management program, so we use Google Contacts alongside Clio, and it does NOT sync well with that program, so be prepared to manage two separate sets of contacts. But, it is very easy to set up a contact in Google and then import it into Clio, so it's not so bad.

Time entry has greatly improved, and we can now more easily track hours billed by each timekeeper, which is great. It's also improving the ability to check for conflicts, and that should be better over time as the links to contacts develop.

Clio review by David M.
David M.

"Best all in one solution out there"

What do you like best?

The Notes and time tracking feature eliminates traditional docketing and memos to file, and the quickbill makes it really easy for me to put an invoice together. The accounting is good enough for keeping the flow of money straight, and it helps keep tabs of the individual trust accounts and expenses.

What do you dislike?

The Accounting could be more robust. The Dashboard Firm Metrics seems unfinished when it could be so much more useful. There's a lot of untapped potential with Clio, and they just need to step that up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple, straightforward, and easy to use. I looked around extensively and it really is the best option out there.

It's a great firm management and case management system that keeps my files organized and up to date.

Clio review by Trish P.
Trish P.

"Complete, Customizable, Connected - Clio"

What do you like best?

Clio combines the best practices in database management with an intuitive, easy-to-grasp interface on static and mobile platforms. I like that the same data can be viewed on our desktops in the office, laptops in the field and mobile phones with ease.

What do you dislike?

Billing for complex clients and matters can be cumbersome. If you are used to billing through quickbooks directly, you will be frustrated at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

View all of their billing videos during your trial period. You might find their billing procedures to be too cumbersome if you are used to doing simple invoices in Quickbooks, for example. However, if you are looking for a "single-login" solution to practice management, client and matter management, and billing, you will like this software

Decreasing reliance on paper, making our attorneys more efficient on-the-go, because all notes, communication, client contact information, documents and calendar are accessible through one login - the clio app.

Learn more about Clio

Clio Videos

Learning about Clio?

* We monitor all Clio reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.