The best part of Clio is the ease of billing and time tracking. I can create beautiful invoices with a few clicks. Once you get it setup it works very well.
I also like that I can securely share documents with clients by dragging and dropping. The sharing features are helpful.
Many of the features are close to perfect but miss some essential things.
1. Flat fee biling - the platform is designed for hourly billing. As an immigration lawyer most of my practice is done via flat fees. There are work arounds, but they are not intuitive.
2. Billing for filing fees - as an immigration lawyer I bill clients for filing fees. These fees are client property and there isn't an easy way to account for this as they go right into my trust account. I have to "write them off" in the Clio platform. It's counter intuitive and seems like a feature that should be there.
3. Lack of integration with google drive - it will create a file structure within google drive (kind of) - mine has been very buggy and frankly not useful. It also doesn't push documents between the Clio files and Google Drive. That would be truly useful, e.g. if a client uploads a document to Clio it automatically ends up in my google drive.
4. Lack of notifications when a client uploads documents to Clio. I have to manually check the firm feed when a client uploads documents.I should be able to get a notification.
5. Inability to see an archive of messages when something is shared. I often write a message to a client when I share a folder, document or bill - there is presently no way for me to see that.
6. I wish there was more customization when looking at a Matter and ability to edit fields without "editing a matter". You can create as many custom fields as your heart desires, which is great. It would be helpful to customize the way a matter looks because the way fields are displayed isn't visually intuitive. It's just in order, which is not wrong, it's just not great.
Effective and efficient billing is the best feature - I can get my bills out to clients quickly. The integration with Law Pay is also great. It helps me get paid faster.
Secure document sharing is also a plus. Dragging and dropping documents is a useful feature - saves time.