CLion

CLion will take care of the routine while you focus on the important things. Knowing your code through and through, it can boost your productivity with smart and relevant code completion, full coding assistance including customizable coding styles, keymaps and various project views, and instant navigation to a symbol's declaration or usages.

Work for CLion?

Learning about CLion?

CLion Reviews

Ask CLion a Question
Showing 17 CLion reviews
CLion review by <span>Austin C.</span>
Austin C.

"C Development for non-90's developers"

What do you like best?

CLion makes it feel good to write in C, C++, and many other languages/frameworks available through plugins. It's easy to see a high barrier-to-entry to the C/C++/etc. ecosystem as many of these programmers feel it their duty to use ViM/Emacs and the trusty `gdb` for debugging. CLion makes that barrier-to-entry so small and easy to join. The GUI debugger is outstanding, and autocomplete helps solve struggles using even the most poorly named C libraries. The integration of other languages (and deuggers!) is extremely useful when working on a large project and makes me personally much more productive.

What do you dislike?

I wish they supported the traditional Make for building, rather than just CMake. While CMake is great once you're in, it can be tough to convert into for existing projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get your management to buy it, could not be more worth it for the user. The CMake requirement is easily forgotten.

Productivity is the biggest gain here. JetBrains excels at reducing the need for variable name memorization, constant type checking, and other errors that are traditionally only caught at compile-time. The IDE also integrates extremely well with many other JetBrains products, and with the JetBrains Toolbox, is extremely easy to update.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CLion
CLion review by <span>Benjamin R.</span>
Benjamin R.

"clion usability"

What do you like best?

I had previously never written c code in an IDE before and using clion has been a great experience for me. In the past I had written C code using text editors such as vim, but I chose to start a new project in clion and was quite happy with the experience created by netbeans. The ability to debug, version control, and the UI were some of the great benefits of this product.

What do you dislike?

This may be more of a personal preference than anything else, but I was not a big fan of the automatically generated makefiles that clion creates for you. I ran into problems with a project here because the autogenerated makefile was a little weird. I ended up writing my own makefile. This isn't too much of a knock against clion but it was the only problem I ran into with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely give clion a try, great product from netbeans.

Clion is a great way to organize and document large sources of c code. The ability to version control and organize this code can be a big benefit from a business perspective.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

CLion review by <span>Ishan .</span>
Ishan .

"Great Editor for Learners"

What do you like best?

Autocomplete and suggestions for alternative loops etc. is quite good.

Support for dynamic imports.

'Ctrl' + 'Click' to move to the definition of the function.

'Ctrl' + 'alt' + 'shift' + 'N' to search for a symbol.

Moving the code up or down using 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'UP'/'DOWN' to move some code around as it takes care of the indentation correctly.

What do you dislike?

Dynamic imports could be wrong sometimes, and the editor won't even warn you, you will need to figure out on your own. Default key bindings will give you trouble for moving to last cursor position in Gnome based linux distributions. I had to overwrite and set my own shortcuts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For newcomers learning c and c++ on CLion is a pleasant experience, compared to the other editors that I have tried.

I am learning to develop games. The library that I am using is SFM. Since SFML is for C. I started using CLion, as I knew about other jetBrains products. The IDEs made by jetBrains are great. They provide code completion, suggestions. One of the features that I like the most is 'ctrl' + 'click' to move to the definition of a fuction. Another great feature is searching for a symbol by pressing 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'shift' + ''N'.

I hope to be a gameplay programmer one day and CLion is helping me do that.

CLion review by <span>Ghada B.</span>
Ghada B.

"The intelligent IDE for C/C++"

What do you like best?

CLion presents a lot of interesting features that I found useful:

- C/C++ , Python and Swift languages support

- Cross platform build

- Good editor

- Easy setup

- CMake and directories control

- Support Git

- powerful

- Simple

What do you dislike?

I can't really find anything that i dislike. CLion is fulfilling all my needs as for now. Maybe, Would be great to have Qt, QMake and QBS support. also an issue I have is slow indexing/updating symbols when cmake files change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend CLion for anyone who wants to build an application or project with C/C++, it's easy to use, good editor, powerful and simple..

I used CLion for C/C++ projects in my university.

One of my projects with CLion using C++ language is NFA to DFA converter : Transform Non-Deterministic Finite State Automata (NFA) to Deterministic Finite State Automata (DFA).

CLion review by <span>Connor H.</span>
Connor H.

"A painful but also pleasant experience."

What do you like best?

As a frequent user of IntelliJ I find myself naturally drawn to CLion and immediately at home, all the shortcuts are similar and I don't have to perform any weird finger-yoga to reach keys. The interface is well designed and things are in the places you expect them to be, not hidden away under the one menu you can never find.

What do you dislike?

Other than autocomplete being iffy at times (sometimes suggesting :: where it shouldn't be used, fixed in newer builds) I can't find a flaw in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would personally hold out until more build systems are implemented or the CMake support is improved slightly, it can be iffy at times and JetBrains have acknowledged this.

Previously I would stick to using Visual Studio for C/++ development, but then I would have a nightmare using my projects on my laptop running Ubuntu. CLion provides you with a nice IDE that's easy to use, runs on multiple platforms and makes use of mingw and CMake which makes cross platform development a breeze.

CLion review by <span>Rafael C.</span>
Rafael C.

"Very good code completion features and debugging support"

What do you like best?

I had grown frustrated with XCode's C++ support, and was using Sublime Text + Terminal for C++ development, which constitutes more than 80% of my workload.

Code bases with heavy use of templates and complicated object hierarchies were making me a lot less productive, so I switched over to CLion mainly for its IntelliSense-like code completion features. It has worked well. Automatic code generation from method signatures are also useful. Debugger support is surprisingly good too, allowing for breakpoint placement and variable lookup that are easier to use than XCode's.

What do you dislike?

cLion only supports CMake for building applications, and that is annoying, since it forces me to continue using the Terminal for solutions that don't have CMake support. Most of the projects I work with rely on make. But even then, going back and forth from the editor to the Terminal isn't terribly bad, since it's what I had been doing with Sublime Text as well.

I also miss the Monokai theme for the editor, that happens to be present in JetBrain's other IDEs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Installing and using it is pretty straightforward, and there's a free trial available, so it's worth taking it for a spin and checking if it's well suited to the way you work.

Day to day software development, using CLion as the primary programming tool.

Learning about CLion?

* We monitor all CLion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.