Clip Studio Paint

Standard paint tool for Manga drawing.

Work for Clip Studio Paint?

Learning about Clip Studio Paint?

Clip Studio Paint Reviews

Showing 24 Clip Studio Paint reviews
Clip Studio Paint review by Gabriela L.
Gabriela L.

"Amazing tool for drawing in general, not only manga"

What do you like best?

The presets brushes and how easy is to install new brushes, panels can be detached and easily rearranged, buttons for rotation, flip and reset are easy to be found, a useful tool to create manga and comics, easy to learn how to use, never had a performance issue.

What do you dislike?

I've been using for little more than a year, and I didn't found something I truly dislike, but there are few tools I don't use, the option to load assets such as 3d objects is one of those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to digital illustration and are in doubt of what program to use, I recommend Clip Studio Paint. The brushes in this program are phenomenal, and I found quite easy to learn. You also have lots of tutorials online on how to use.

I use Clip Studio Paint to practice in my spare time, to create sketches as a draft for clients and illustrations.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint review by Kyle G.
Kyle G.

"Exceptional results and interface"

What do you like best?

The ink lines on screen are the best of any design art program I use. The blending and painting brushes are smooth with almost no lag and give great results.

What do you dislike?

I wish the triangle and circle templates/guidelines were easier to use between layers. You have to constantly select and deselect the guides to use them or not. This is where Sketchbook pro has a leg up on Clip Studio Paint. The guidelines are a bit buried in the tool set as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your needs are the right ones for this program. It is directly a drawing and painting program for comics but I find it has so many uses for the illustration field.

I am a freelance artist/character designer for the animation industry and this program is one of the best for getting ideas down quickly and clearly for my clients. The interaction between Clip Studio Paint and Photoshop is wonderful. Layers carry over and file types are easy to select when saving.

What Drawing solution do you use?

Clip Studio Paint review by Ben H.
Ben H.

"Clip Studio Paint - the all-in-one drawing package"

What do you like best?

Clip Studio Paint is the best drawing software I've ever used. I've used plenty of other art programs in the past, Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, Sketchbook, OpenCanvas etc, but they all pale in comparison to CSP. First of all it's cheap, the regular version (which is almost identical to the EX version, apart from extra comic project file support and unlimited animation frames) costs around $50, and it regularly goes on sale for anything as low as $15. The amount of functionality you get is crazy, and since it's designed with artists in mind, there's no bloat or unnecessary features like you'd find in other software such as Photoshop. It has all the staple art software elements, layers, colour palettes, customizable brushes, canvas flipping and rotation, preview/navigation window, layer/selection transformation etc. It also has more specific features, like pen stabilization, vector drawing tools that look identical to their raster counterparts, comic tools for adding frames, speech bubbles and text, and it even has 3D mannequins that you can pose and use for reference/drawing over. The 3D feature even allows you to import your own models, which can be extremely helpful when you want to build a complex scene with accurate perspective etc. Overall it's just a great piece of software which has been designed from the ground up with artists in mind, I use it almost daily and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to get into digital art.

What do you dislike?

The western version (distributed by Trend Micro) is called Manga Studio, so this is pretty confusing for people and can end up with them not being sure which version to buy. Thankfully they're exactly the same, but these days you can get an English version of Clip Studio Paint from the original website, which I think is the better choice as this will always be the latest version. The western release is usually a bit behind on their versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on the fence about it, grab the trial version from the website and give it a go!

As a freelance artist in the past, I have relied on this software extensively to get the job done. I've used it for sketching, illustration, painting and even some design work.

Clip Studio Paint review by Nick R.
Nick R.

"Great for illustration "

What do you like best?

Clip studio is my current go-to software for drawing and illustration. It combines useful drawing tools with a decent set of editable brushes and also useful layout tools for comics and other formats. It also has great editing and adjustment tools, I make use of the colour/level corrections and gradient mapping a lot and clip studio makes this sort of thing quite easy. It also includes a reasonable selection of textures and even incorporates 3d reference models, although possibly not in way that many will find genuinely useful as a day-to-day tool.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be better. Although the modular format of the interface works well, it can sometimes be difficult to have everything you need easily accesible. The worst part for me would be the animation capabilities. As an animator, I would love to be able to use this software for animation as well as illustration but in practice the interface is very un-intuitive and lacks basic functions for moving around keys and in-betweens as you would find in specific animation software, such as tv paint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend clip studio paint as a great all-purpose digital illustration program.

I'm using this software to create and edit illustrations.

Clip Studio Paint review by Troy J.
Troy J.

"Fantastic Comic Illustration Software for an Excellent Price"

What do you like best?

Clip Studio's digital pencil and inking tools are hands down the best I have ever used. The dialed in settings provide a wonderful balance between control and usability thanks partly to the powerful, yet subtle, stroke smoothing. Vector layers also provide the ability to scale or edit strokes in a very controlled and non-destructive way. All of this is available for a tiny fraction of the cost of the standard Photoshop package.

What do you dislike?

While the sketch and ink tools are outstanding, the other painting and blending brushes are less enjoyable to use and do not provide nearly the variety possible in something like Photoshop. The interface is also a bit overwhelming initially, with many buttons or icons not providing very intuitive descriptions for their uses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Primarily designed with comic creation in mind, the sketching and inking tools are perfectly suited for comic artists. If you've been using Photoshop for this, it is definitely worth giving Clip Studio a try for its industry specific tools

For idea sketching or simply sketching for enjoyment, I have found nothing better. The ability to create sharp inked lines (even scale-able vectored lines) is a huge time saver in my workflow.

Clip Studio Paint review by David F.
David F.

"A game-changer experience"

What do you like best?

CELSYS advertise CSP as a "stándard tool for manga artists", but it's actually much more than that. It doesn't only include very powerful tools for doing clean lines, add text bubbles, grayscale tones, panels and cell-shading coloring but also has amazing sets of brushes that enhance your possibilities simulating real-life painting (watercolor and oil, to be specific).

Plus, CSP was developed by thinking on the professional user first and foremost, so it includes the most essential editing tools that I couldn't find in SAI, which I migrated from and which I had to use Photoshop with just to get some simple things like text done, but not anymore now that I have CSP which have it all packed in one single place. Let alone other not-essential and very VERY powerful tools like the perspective tools which is just AMAZING for doing concept art and background painting.

For last, I have to tell you about the Animation features, which prevents me to open another application any time I want to do animated frames for my game sprites, which is big, BIG PLUS for me. Before it, my typical workflow was this: Draw frames sketch in Photoshop > Export > Import into SAI/CSP just so I can paint them > Export > Import again in Premiere and After Effects just so I can join them and add effects. Not anymore now that I have CSP, it's enough to draw, paint and export all the frames in CSP and maybe I'll add another animation app for special effects.

CSP is just AMAZING, this app just came out in a time I thought I needed something like it as if I just created it by imagining it. It worth the time to try it because I'm sure you will keep it in your regular workflow, no matter if your main field is not "manga", if you do Illustration then go with it :)

What do you dislike?

There's only one thing I do not like about it and it's that it doesn't let you choose between CPU or GPU rendering, which isn't a big deal considering how well optimized CSP is

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play and have fun with it. It has so many features that worth discovering on the go that this is al I can say by now.

-Illustration

-2D animation

-Graphics for games

-Concept art

-Hand-painted textures for my 3D models

-Sketching for my work in general.

Clip Studio Paint review by Bobby F.
Bobby F.

"Fantastic Program for All Illustration and Comic Needs"

What do you like best?

Clip Studio Paint has an amazing myriad of features. It is 100% the most versatile digital artwork program out there. It combines the tools of Photoshop, the brush and stabilization features of Sai, and its own slew of comic-making tools. The greatest thing to me is the pressure curves - you can actually tweak how your tablet interacts with the program. So - for those of you using non-Wacom tablets? You can tweak the pressure sensitivity so that you don't have to push so hard!

What do you dislike?

If I'm being honest, I'm not completely crazy about the interface. It can be a little daunting at first, but once you break into it it's pretty easy to get the hang of! Navigating brush presets can be a little difficult as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend grabbing this product, no matter its current pricepoint. It is VERY worth the price. I'd also suggest checking out Ray Frenden's brush pack for it, it is A+.

I typically utilize Clip Studio Paint to avoid paying $10+ monthly for Photoshop. So on a budget level, it helps a ton! But honestly, it has a whole slew of benefits. The greatest being that I can use it for not just my illustration work, but also creating advertisements for all of my products. It's a very, very versatile program.

Clip Studio Paint review by Adeline D.
Adeline D.

"A powerful tool for digital painting."

What do you like best?

The design is simple yet beautiful, brush settings are not too complicated, has built-in stabilization, the ruler has multiple options, has beautiful pre-installed decoration brushes and combines well with cheap drawing tablets.

What do you dislike?

It's slow to load some features, some tools are hard to use and vector needs improvement,

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you considering using this program, I recommend first to try the free trial. I also recommend using this program with a drawing tablet, this way you'll use the full potential of the program.

I use the program when I need to create a character to place on a website.

Clip Studio Paint review by Ingrid M.
Ingrid M.

"Perfect for personal and professional use."

What do you like best?

- Color Wheel

- Dozens of color tone presets

- Native stabilization and Anti-Aliasing option

- Screentones

- Easy to blend colors

- Clean interface

What do you dislike?

- Not good with vectors

- Intimidating at first

- The 3d feature needs improvement

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a program for sketching, or you are making a manga or comics, I recommend Clip Studio Paint. This software has all the tools required to create a professional looking product, and it is perfect for those who are starting with digital sketching.

I use to make designs for t-shirts and to sketch character concept.

Clip Studio Paint review by Courtney Y.
Courtney Y.

"Absolutely Amazing"

What do you like best?

Clip Studio Paint is one of the best programs by far you will ever use. As someone who has been digitally painting for almost 8 years now I've run into a number of different software that are meant for different types of digital art. Clip Studio Paint is well rounded - it has some of the best painting tools out there, along with great pre-installed brushes and textures. It's amazing for comics with its templates as well as its 3D references. Overall I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get into digital art.

What do you dislike?

The overall layout is somewhat confusing and difficult to use. It is very hard to find some tools and it does lag out at times. It has crashed on multiple occasions losing me hours of work. Some more variety in the brushes would be great as well, though that's easily covered by ones found online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might seem a bit weird and overwhelming at first, especially compared to PaintTool Sai but give it a try, find some custom brushes online and remember to utilize all of the assets, not just the ones that you normally use. A bit of experimenting might help you settle in to the new program much easier.

My biggest problems are trying to find a program that has all the tools but is still great with textures and user interface. Photoshop is too clunky, paint tool sai is too simple, but clip studio paint really does have it all. With the new animation function I can even use it for gifs and short scenes.

Clip Studio Paint review by Stefano B.
Stefano B.

"Good software for drwaing"

What do you like best?

I think the interface is similar to adobe software and in my opinion is a great benefit if you work with both or if you decide to switch to Clip Studio Paint.

The brushes are really good and the path assistant is really useful.

What do you dislike?

I can't find a fast way to increase or decrease the brush size while i'm painting. I've set up a shortkey but it's not so fast. I would like to link the wacom wheel to the brush size but it seems not possible. The 3D features seems a little poor, they could be upgraded. Some more filters could be a plus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great brushes and a comfortable feeling when drawing, simple and intuitive interface (similar to adobe photoshop) and all you can expect from a great drwaing software. I reccomend this software if you are looking for: "traditional" painting style, manga syle and sketches.

I've used CSP to produce illustrations and sketches: it was fast and really close to traditional painting.

Clip Studio Paint review by Brian R.
Brian R.

"Excellent Illustration Software"

What do you like best?

Manga studio is an excellent program for illustration, both painterly and lineart based. It offers a wide variety of brush options and settings, that allow brushes to be tweaked to perfection. As of the latest update it also supports frame by frame animation. It supports most common file types, and can export and read Photoshop documents with some limitations (namely rasterizing text layers).

What do you dislike?

the only negative thing I can think to say about this software, is that you are unable to rotate text without rasterizing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in comic/manga illustration, this is the best program available as far as I'm concerned. The "brush stability" settings minimize jitter in line art, it opens quick, and doesn't cost hundreds of dollars like Photoshop. Built in features such as resizable word balloons, paneling tools and 3D support make creating excellent comic pages very simple (Provided you have the skill to draw good).

There are two versions offered, Regular and EX. EX has a few more features, such as allowing you to convert images to screentones, though the regular version (what I use) has everything you need to make beautiful artwork without breaking the bank.

I use this mainly for personal use, though i have done various illustrations that are used as parts of websites and advertising materials.

Clip Studio Paint review by Bruna A.
Bruna A.

"One of the greatest tools on the market."

What do you like best?

Easy to navigate and use, brushes don't have unnecessary parameters to edit, you can easily rotate and flip the canvas, multiple rulers options, and you can place and pose 3d character and objects.

What do you dislike?

Some features and tools are not self-explanatory, and the vector could be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clip Studio Paint is one of the easiest programs to learn how to use, within a few days, you can start making incredible artworks, and since they offer a free trial, you can test Clip Studio Paint for 30 days to see if all your needs are fulfilled.

I use Clip Studio Paint to create illustrations, character design and to color line art made with Illustrator.

Clip Studio Paint review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Clip Studio"

What do you like best?

I like the easy access to brushes and other tools. Use of program is straightforward and easy and there is a nice flow to the layout. Brushes feel smooth to use with stylus and make for excellent detail. pressure on brushes feels good and smooth and I feel that I am able to obtain the detail and thickness I need in my linework.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more filter options along with decorative designs but overall excellent program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would really recommend this program to others either starting out in digital design or those that have more experience. It is easy to use but has excellent features for all levels.

Clip studio makes digital design quicker and easier, which makes making designs more efficient time wise without sacrificing quality.

Clip Studio Paint review by Olivia M.
Olivia M.

"The best digital drawing tool I've ever used"

What do you like best?

It seems like there nothing this program can't do. There's a way to streamline every part of the workflow for drawing comics and illustrations.

I especially love the 3D models. You can customize and pose figures for reference as well as import your own 3D models. It's also ridiculously easy to make your own patterns, textures and brushes. The most recent update allows you to even animate on this program. It's a fantastic all-in-one tool and fun to use!

Plus, the default tools feel very natural without having to mess with the brush settings.

What do you dislike?

This program is worth so much more than it's cost so it's hard to complain about anything honestly. One thing that could be improved though is the transform tool. The transform tool in Photoshop for instance, allows you to warp the image and tweak it in ways that Clip Studio can't do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This isn't just a Photoshop substitute, it's a full-on replacement! You won't find a better software for this price.

For me it's the speed. Clip Studio has all the built in reference and tools that I need to speed up my workflow. For instance, adding flat colors to my art is insanely fast thanks to Clip Studio's 'reference layer' feature.

And for artists, being able to work quickly and efficiently is the key to success!

Clip Studio Paint review by Catalina C.
Catalina C.

"Very complete tool for the ilustator"

What do you like best?

The price vs the quality of the product.

This software has some of the best tools i've seen in a long time. The one i like the most it's the 3d reference tool. It helps a lot to practice and secure check the sketches/posse layouts, it's full customizable and has the option to upload your own models.

Also the crowd tool it's very useful for storyboards and such!

What do you dislike?

Sadly the 3d reference tool isn't perfect, and the commands to move the models are confusing and aren't similar to any 3d software i've ever used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is definitely a must buy software, it's hard to get used to it at first but once you do you simply can not come back to other softwares

I use Clip Studio to make Storyboards since the pencils leave a more handwrite effect.

Clip Studio Paint review by User in Design
User in Design

"Program that has everything"

What do you like best?

It has brushes of all sizes and pressures as well as references and free brushes downloads for artists to use. It's very comprehensive on how to manipulate brushes to make rendering very smoothly as well as comic elements for inking and coloring.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that it has so much it's hard to use and it's hard to understand what each part does unless it's practiced with every day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just buy it! It's worth every penny!

Inking comics, rendering and coloring characters and settings as well as animation. It has benefited me to complete my projects without crashing as well.

Clip Studio Paint review by User

"Clip Studio Paint is Great"

What do you like best?

I love the brush stabilizer and the ability to easily format my comic pages. I also use the models from time to time but they are a little difficult to use.

The brush stabilizer is a total life-saver! I can not tell you how much it has improved my work flow. I wish Photoshop had this feature!

What do you dislike?

The models are a tad bit hard to use. I also have trouble with the brush continuing to move after I've stopped drawing. I don't know what the deal with that is. I think it might have to do with my computer speed. Who knows?

I also wish adding custom brushes were a bit easier to add. Also it's harder to find custom brushes for Clip Paint than Photoshop but that's can't be helped.

I am using Clip Studio to help with my illustrations as well as my graphic novel.

Clip Studio Paint review by Alessandro C.
Alessandro C.

"Digital comic creation"

What do you like best?

It's made for artist with the artist workflow in mind. Available for both Win and OSx is an amazing software for digital artists and illustrators. The interface is highly customizable, the brush engine is amazing and the ability to use patterns, textures and custom shapes it's endless.

The vector sketch tool is really powerful and will speed up your inking process a lot. Tons of functionalities and shortcuts to speed up repetitive and common tasks.

Amazing smudge effects and real life brush simulations for watercolour, ink, oil paint and charcoal.

The cost is immensely low compared to Photoshop, if your purpose is only painting and not photo retouching.

What do you dislike?

The UI looks a bit outdates, even if it's not a real complaint and doesn't really affect the performance or the usability of the product, it kinda looks like a software from 2005.

A GUI update would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you just need to paint, ink, sketch and draw, forget Photoshop and switch to this. It's cheaper and better.

Clip Studio Paint review by Lauren G.
Lauren G.

"To used to Photoshop"

What do you like best?

I love using this program for the movable 3D models. I use them to pose characters to draw from from different angles. So helpful!

What do you dislike?

I am so used to using Photoshop that I don't find Clip Sudio to be very intuitive. I know if I gave it a bit of time it would become pretty second-nature. I just haven't given it that kind of time yet

Recommendations to others considering the product

try out the 3D models to pose characters! So great!

Using the #D models to pose characters has been so helpful in getting drawing done quicker. It makes my work go much faster!

Clip Studio Paint review by User in Animation
User in Animation

"Clip Studio"

What do you like best?

This program has pretty much everything I want in an art program. It is quick to load, isn't a resource hog, you can make custom brushes, the lines are vector based, and it exports in PSD format so you can easily edit everything layered in Photoshop.

When painting, the brushes blend wonderfully and allow you to mimic traditional painting well. There is a color wheel, pen stabilization, texture sprays, and repeatable pattern brushes.

Because of the vector based graphics and pen stabilization all line art made in this program comes out looking very clean and crisp.

The program is set up for making comic/manga pages so all the text tools are there, word bubbles, and tools for making panels so you can set up a really nice looking comic/manga page. It will also set up a canvas with all the bleed lines preset, very handy.

What do you dislike?

I really have no large complaints for this program. The only thing I could say that I wish were different is when you export a layered file to PSD and open it in Photoshop you will lose your ability to edit your text layers. Photoshop won't read them and will convert them into a regular layer, same happens if you save in Photoshop and open it in Clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a great program that is quick to load, isn't a resource hog, and has most features Photoshop has for a fraction of the cost, it's a great program. I highly recommend it.

As it loads rather quickly and there is, for the most part, no lag when using any of the brushes, it speeds up production time. The pen stabilization has made line art extremely crisp and clean and easier to work with. If you prefer using vectors it also has that feature. It exports in PSD so if there is something that needs to be edited outside the program it's very quick and easy to do.

Clip Studio Paint review by User in Cosmetics
User in Cosmetics

"Nice Inexpensive Alternative to Ps"

What do you like best?

Has a very similar interface to Photoshop but more designed for comics and sketching. This is best used for getting quick ideas out. Obviously also I would say more web comics. The fact that the program is fairly easy to use is a plus, but I wouldn't really use this for professional final printed work. I love the different line pressures as well, this is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the resolution it uses. Also the anti-aliasing is non existent. That was very bothersome for me.

Creating thumbnails, getting quick ideas laid out. Also, I am designing a comic book so this helps.

Clip Studio Paint review by Pedro C.
Pedro C.

"Best way to draw"

What do you like best?

It's the best paper simulator, it haves an stabilizing function that you can't find in another software.

What do you dislike?

I'm very habituated to Adobe's keyboard shortcuts, so it's a little bit strange to use new ones (it doesn't makes me dislike it anyway).

I think it's the best way to simulate ink in digitally, and it works perfectly with my wacom tablet.

Clip Studio Paint review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Great for Artist "

What do you like best?

The different type of brushes helps me create a more real digital painting/drawing.

What do you dislike?

It need more templates for it's United States users. I find most the good addons for this application are overseas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This app is for you inspiraing artist! It's better than PaintShop Pro, make the switch today!

I am to recreate oil painting styles without the struggles of messing up expensive material. It saves my progress, it removes my mistakes easily and i can create templates to edit later of the same drawing.

Learning about Clip Studio Paint?

* We monitor all Clip Studio Paint reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.