CloudBees CodeShip

CloudBees CodeShip

Codeship offers hosted continuous integration and deployment for your web apps, including rails, php, python, java or go apps.

Work for CloudBees CodeShip?

Learning about CloudBees CodeShip?

CloudBees CodeShip Reviews

Ask CloudBees CodeShip a Question
Showing 97 CloudBees CodeShip reviews
CloudBees CodeShip review by Karl H.
Karl H.

"Consistency and continued improvement"

What do you like best?

I've used Codeship for many years, and have seen how the product has progressed, improved, and continued to be a reliable way to manage continuous integration. I haven't needed their support team much, but when I have they're quick and they know their stuff.

What do you dislike?

Setting up Codeship Pro takes a fair bit of knowledge about Docker. It's still much easier than building and maintaining your own CI/CD server, but devs unfamiliar with Docker will face a learning curve when switching to their Pro product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their CLI tool, Jet, to debug locally while you get everything set up. This saves you time from running all your builds in the cloud.

- We catch bugs before they go to production

- We save a lot of time and money not maintaining and hosting our own CI/CD servers

- Builds are fast and reliable

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CloudBees CodeShip
CloudBees CodeShip review by Emmy C.
Emmy C.

"One of the fastest CI server"

What do you like best?

The process of setting up the CI pipeline is easy and intuitive, it is possible to track several projects. The documentation is well thought out. I really like Codeship because it's clean and easy to set up for people who are not familiar with testing. It's too easy to use the deployment script for code and the documentation also lags behind. They always publish new and interesting things from the industry, trying to keep up with the direction of the industry.

What do you dislike?

Support could be a little bit better. Not in quality, but in the time that is required for an answer. I received a good response within a couple of minutes, and now I wait for a couple of hours to get an answer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using the free trial version of Codeship and you will be able to run working process in minutes. It's easy to use and one of the fastest to install CI servers that I've used.

We use Codeship to provide a consistent build process, start by checking the code and use it to test and deploy my applications. It ensures that our team has a single source of rights to build a simple and consistent method for deploying our application in various environments.

What Continuous Deployment solution do you use?

CloudBees CodeShip review by Valentine B.
Valentine B.

"Simple and intuitive CI"

What do you like best?

The CI system is simple and intuitive. I also liked the user interface. It is worth mentioning about the documentation, it is so well written and helps to solve any problem.

What do you dislike?

I do not have enough plug-ins, I would like that their number was more. Also, the price is a bit high for a typical developer. Developers of Codeship can make several plans for independent developers and for large companies

Recommendations to others considering the product

An excellent free plan, it provides great resources (as many as 100 builds per month, no limited number of users and an unlimited number of projects).

Our team tried many similar services, we tested Travis and TeamCity. Finally we settled on Codeship. In the beginning, we used a free version and it covered all our needs. But further, when our projects started to grow we bought a professional version and have not regretted about it because there is a Native Docker support in the professional version.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Delinda S.
Delinda S.

"Fast and easy to develop."

What do you like best?

I have the ability to control my styling process which makes my work much better. I like that I can make builds concurrently so our creation teams don’t have to wait for any builds to be run. Also, I like that software is infrastructure is optimized for rapidity and automatically balance with our needs.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any question to this platform. I like all way of our interface. I guess all departments work well and don't make any harms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely, I recommend to you this platform. Will always help you to create all projects with higher quality. You will have the opportunity to use the test system which is a big assistance for working team. All your work will be a balanced.

We have the better way of configuring potent deployment pipelines that run after all our tests have run. This platform allows us to set up deploy to where-ever we want. Also, helps us to work on our projects and test them. Much better work on all data.

CloudBees CodeShip review by User

"Easy to use "

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and simple to set up, no need for salespeople.

We use it for many repositories for continuous deployment which also makes it easier for new starters not having to understand the deployment process. Definitely has sped up our time to release which has been a big win for us saving time and bugs. The user interface is easy to use and clean with alerts and integrations in the likes of slack makes it easy.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing specific other than pricing which I would prefer to be a little cheaper as we're always playing of setting up our own jenkins build due to cost.

Also if their services go down this does cause up problems, however, it should be said that this is not often at all.

Shipping our products more often with continues deployment

Saving money by shipping more often and thus reducing bugs

CloudBees CodeShip review by Pablo L.
Pablo L.

"Great for continuous integration"

What do you like best?

Codeship makes it simple to create a continuous integration step for our software. it provides all of the necessary tools to make development easy, and ensure that we can run all of our tests and any other necessary hooks every single time we push out code

What do you dislike?

It can be pretty frustrating that lower tier plans don't allow for parallel pushes. Even for a small team, it can become annoying having to wait for other code pushes before yours in sequence

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would consider the size of your team before you check out codeship, as well as your budget. it's not that expensive but if you need parallel pushes you need to upgrade. This has become quite a pain for us since we don't really want to pay more but it can get annoying to wait for other pushes. Make sure that the price makes sense for the features you need

Codeship allows us to have peace of mind with every push, to ensure that all tests and any other necessary preprocessing is completed every time. It makes it easy to continually push out code to all of our environments with the push of one button

CloudBees CodeShip review by Logan S.
Logan S.

"The system of test for all of us."

What do you like best?

Much better ability to make setting across the web interface. I like that I have a chance work with general systems and workflows. Opportunity to monitor all my design process which really makes my work much easy.

What do you dislike?

As for me, the program is good but I guess that interface needs to be more colorful. All of the rest of solution is perfect. I wish that this platform will bring more updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect software to have at the company. Will always help you to create all process on your projects. You will have plenty space for storage. Will gives you great working balance. I recommend it to you.

Actually, it is the best system which helps us to work on our projects and the ability of test them. We have a much better way of working with documentation. To install that program will not take long.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Facundo M.
Facundo M.

"An outstanding platform to automate easily any kind of deployment"

What do you like best?

The simplicity with which you can automate your way into deploying almost anything.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a little bit steep.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Codeship PRO version is the way to go. It really is incredible flexible and although it may have an steep learning curve at the beginning, it is very worthwhile at the end. It has let us to test and deploy services into AWS, Azure and barebones with the same simplicity and changing only the last mile of it.

Deploying everything, from full fledged monolith services, to serverless micro-services and configurations. Also to do integration testing more easily, and setting up tests for very big systems.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Julien M.
Julien M.

"Great product for new application using docker!"

What do you like best?

The pro version with the container native implementation, the possibility to encrypt sensitive information and the jet cli.

What do you dislike?

Don't know if cloudbees will change or stop the service later. But, it's just a concern and not something I'm afraid for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the CLI for validating your config and only use the PRO version with Docker, it's really the easiest way to use it and manage it!

Good cloud CI with encrypted value per project and with a nice CLI (jet)

CloudBees CodeShip review by Kent S.
Kent S.

"Better of use"

What do you like best?

It gives me full autonomy over my creation workflows. Very easy to get to creation and production surroundings. Organization my teams and their team members become easier.

What do you dislike?

Very good to work with that solution. Easy to understand a doo all work. Connect to both, personal and social registries. No complaints about it at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Software which will make you easy to get started your work. That program infrastructure automatically balances as your group will grow. Will helps you a lot.

Codeship lets us set up development to wherever we want. Codeship lets us focus on our product. We can quickly test and development processes. Great way to ship code. Great and super fast.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Michal P.
Michal P.

"Using codeship for container base continuous integration"

What do you like best?

Out of the box operations with docker containers

What do you dislike?

Not very powerful testing instances for plans with few paralel builds - we dont need many paralel builds, but we need a lot of power.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for seamless docker based CI/CD, CodeShip is a good bet.

Continuous testing and integration. Early warning and notifications in case of unforseen build problems.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Yurui Z.
Yurui Z.

"fast, reliable, and easy to setup"

What do you like best?

Integrating CodeShip with Github is really easy.

The process for setting up the CI pipeline is very intuitive.

Being able to monitor multiple projects.

Good documentation.

Really good customer support! Our questions are answered quickly.

Being able to login to the VM via SSH is a huge plus to us.

Being able to setup test pipelines helped us to cut test time to half with no extra cost!

Free for open source projects!

What do you dislike?

Only 1 build at the same time for the basic plan.

Free plan limits to 100 builds per month - could be used within a day, if you commit as often as I do :)

No encryption of secrets

An easy and affordable CI solution for our developers. We are able to achieve that with Codeship! Setting up everything for a new project on Codeship can be done in a few minutes.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Pol M.
Pol M.

"Great app, better support!"

What do you like best?

Support has always been my favorite. Since the early days of Railsonfire it's been extremely helpful. The best is we have not needed it much anymore. I'm also a fan of the Codeship Blog.

What do you dislike?

At our company we have tried to push really hard to have immutable infrastructure with Docker. Codeship plays a big role for us and we ended up getting stuck because builds were very slow. Our excitement for the entire project ended up dying down as we experienced issues with caching and quite slower builds that we were used to (which has become an extremely nice feature us we do not want to give up). Now we don't have much bandwidth so we ended up not being able to use the docker images we spent so much time to get ready. Not saying it's a problem from codeship, but perhaps we felt a bit least heard than our previous experiences.

Continuous integration.

Very quick builds.

No need to manage infrastructure.

Simple to set up.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Great overall CI and CD tool"

What do you like best?

We use Codeship to automatically run the test suite on our SaaS application (including browser-based integration tests) for every commit pushed to Github. This allows us to make sure everything works every time we update the code.

What do you dislike?

You can have tests running for two different commits on the same git branch at the same time. This works great for when we have two PRs merged into master at around the same time. Where this breaks down is in the deployment part of the build. When we have two builds trying to deploy to the same place at the same time, things get messed up. This is not uncommon for us, as merging a PR into master means an automatic staging deployment.

Also, to be able to restart a build, you need to be a manager within Codeship. This doesn't make sense to me, as our non-managers occasionally need to restart a build (often because we don't want deployments to step on each others' toes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only issues I've had are minor enough.

We're allowing everyone on the development team to contribute to our application quickly via continuous deployment. Using Codeship means that we can guarantee that tests pass without having to take the time ourselves to run the entire test suite every time.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Grant K.
Grant K.

"Great Experience"

What do you like best?

Stupid simple setup. If you use Bitbucket or Github, you can get your app's test suite up an testing in a matter of minutes.

I also enjoy that the company will respond to you on Twitter. It doesn't have to be in depth conversions, but just the fact that you can get a response, instead of just consuming a feed, it's a great differentiator from other companies.

What do you dislike?

Their support has fallen off since I started using it. Not in the quality, but in the time it takes to respond. I used to get a good response in the matter of a couple of minutes. Now, I will wait a couple of hours to get a response. It doesn't seem like much, but since I burning my own money and not a separate company's, when I run into an issue it is a big deal.

Knowing that our apps are in a working state when changes are made from different developers is a great relief. In the past, you would have to note all changes and make sure each dev ran their own tests. This way, we can guarantee that tests are being ran before pushing to a company wide preview site.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Austin R.
Austin R.

"Codeship - CI"

What do you like best?

I really like codeship because its clean and easy to set up for people who are new to testing. It is fairly easy to use a deploy script for code as well. The documentation was also amazing! They are always posting new and exciting stuff from the industry, trying to stay up to date with the direction of the industry.

What do you dislike?

I found it rather difficult to integrate failures in testing that depended on services that were not on the VM. It also did not offer RKT support for when we were considering it. I would also say that it would be nice to see it integrate with other services such as HoundCI to allow stylistic checks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend codeship if you fit in what they offer or use docker for you builds and tests but make sure that you use the correct exit code from the container.

We were aiming to solve Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery which made us realize that these were very important for our company to succeed with our code. This allowed our developers to make it a priority to test their code and to make sure that simple arguments were avoided such as style and coverage.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Paul E.
Paul E.

"The learning curve is just Docker"

What do you like best?

Codeship's docker infrastructure is just docker. There is practically nothing other than that to learn. It's great for continuous integration/delivery/deployment as code because your pipeline definition (2 yaml files) lives right along side your code and gets updated with the same git commits. That gives you all the benefits of '* as code' and the price is very reasonable (not much more than the AWS resources it runs on). You don't have to establish another CI/CD team to maintain the pipelines if you don't want to. Your own developers/domain team can do it as long as they know docker. Plus, as a PAAS solution you don't have to manage the servers the system runs on.

Jet is great to test your pipeline locally before committing it.

What do you dislike?

The docker containers for your pipeline run in EC2 instances and they are recreated every time you run your pipeline. This is for security so no other customers run in your EC2 instances. The downside is it takes a few minutes for the pipeline to start running. Codeship said they are working to make this faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't already have a CI/CD infrastructure in place and are looking for a PAAS, docker solution, Codeship is the best I have seen so far.

CI/CD without the learning curve or maintenance cost of non-docker solutions.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Claudio F.
Claudio F.

"Simple Intuitive Continuous Delivery"

What do you like best?

It is seemingly easy to use and has tons of different integrations. It also provides me a neat trick to skip the integration whenever it's necessary, simply by using a --skip-ci comment along with my git commits. It's easy to track the bug and promptly have it fixed, so it has sped my development cycle a great deal.

What do you dislike?

The overall UX is not bad, but still needs a lot of improvement. It took me quite a while to realize that in order to switch projects I needed to press my current project name so a dropdown would appear. Also integration with bitbucket is somewhat hidden from the user's hands.

Like I said, gotta do some improvements in the UX design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codeship is a simple to use, to understand and configure continuous deploy and integration tool. It also has some neat tricks/hacks one can use through the bash, in order to accomplish some other possible side tasks. I do it a lot!

I needed to avoid committing broken code to my repository, which on its turn is also being integrated with my server. So, every time I accidentally committed a code that contained a bug my release server went down. So, I saved, logically, a lot of headache by doing such a simple and elegant continuous integration through Codeship.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Kyle M.
Kyle M.

"Painless CI"

What do you like best?

The best part about codeship is how easy it is to setup and get started. Easy hookup with source control at github, easy configuration of tests to run, easy deploy to AWS.

What do you dislike?

I would like a bit more notification. At one point, Codeship notified me when a build was initiated and by whom. That notification is no longer available, and I found it useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out codeship for their free trial. See how quickly you can get up and running... and use it for a bit. One of the biggest differences I noticed from other tools I have used is how infrequently things go wrong. It just works!

We wanted to solve the problem of stale deployments... and Codeship and a Continuous Integration tool has resolved that issue for us.

Every checkin to our development branch goes right to our test environment. It is easy for our QA team to see what our developers are doing. It's also easy for a developer to verify that a fix doesn't just "work on my machine."

CloudBees CodeShip review by Brad B.
Brad B.

"Intuitive Deployment Automation"

What do you like best?

Codeship is an amazing tool that allowed us handle our automated testing and deployments to Heroku. We use BitBucket for source control, and were able to easily map our repositories to our Heroku pipelines so we can use different branches for different apps. I tried setting up Bamboo (Atlassian suite), which was a nightmare even though it is cheaper. You can get setup on Codeship in a matter of clicks.

What do you dislike?

It's trivial, but fast forward merges have to have a distinct commit in order to trigger a push on Codeship. We use it with Heroku (for multiple apps, with one app being the "billing" app), so it is confusing sometime which user you are logged in as.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codeship works with a lot of cloud PAAS providers, and a few source code services (GitHub and BitBucket for sure). It is easy to add environment variables, specify scripts to run during the build process, and

Continuous integration and deployment. Codeship allows us to focus on code, and not on automated testing or deploying code to Heroku.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Samuel B.
Samuel B.

"Simple and Powerful Continuous Delivery"

What do you like best?

Intuitive and well thought out UI with powerful features that work consistently. I know that if a build fails it is due to my code or tests and not an issue with the platform. Having that confidence reduces troubleshooting time and helps to pinpoint issues quickly.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to have more than one choice of build operating system but that might sacrifice consistency and simplicity. I would love to see a Mac OSX build option to create iOS apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Codeship a try using their free trial and you will probably be up and running in a matter of minutes. This is easily one of the fastest to setup CI servers I have used.

I use Codeship to ensure a consistent build process starting with code check-in and using it to test and deploy my applications. Codeship has ensured that our team has a single source of build truth and an easy and consistent method for deploying our application to various environments.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Dieter G.
Dieter G.

"Good build pipeline with seamless Bitbucket integration"

What do you like best?

I like best that the integration into bitbucket was easy. As well that we found prepared docker containers for our AWS deployments that solved the problems with token timeout of ECR.

I also like the local tool for tests 'jet'. It make it easy to test and run the pipeline.

What do you dislike?

It was sometimes a pitfall that containers between steps don't share anything, so new developers were often mislead.

We solve the CI/CD to AWS pipeline with it.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Tomáš H.
Tomáš H.

"Seamless CI experience"

What do you like best?

After connecting to GitHub, it just works. Just make small amends to build scripts, and you are all set. And the reports are nice and easy as well.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit steep jump in pricing from the free to personal account. Also could be a bit faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it's really trivial to setup. If you are using Heroku, especially with Review Apps, there might be some overlap of functionality. It is possible to run tests on Heroku as well, but the integration of the test results to GitHub is not as trivial as with Codeship, so you might want both just to get up and running more quickly.

Setting up continuous integration that works nicely with GitHub. Running tests automatically in the cloud is a big benefit, because devs are often sloppy and forget to run tests. When you disable merging pull requests which don't have tests passing, you are already long way forth to having better code quality.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Colin H.
Colin H.

"Its simply the best"

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to integrate into any project. No matter what I'm working on, if it ships live, it goes through codeship. Once it's configured, it's done, and the configuration is easy.

What do you dislike?

There are some edge cases where the box doesn't match my production box identically. Something about some server-side configuration variables. Not a huge deal, we just have to document them when they happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Love the changes I'm seeing. It's a little on the expensive side for some of the upgrades -- but the fact that it 'just works' without having to deal with it consistently means I will keep using this for my future projects.

Business problem solved: newbies shipping bad code. Benefit: fewer 'oh, crap!' moments.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Kent C. D.
Kent C. D.

"Fast, easy, user friendly"

What do you like best?

I love how codeship separates setup, testing, and deployment. It makes it very easy and obvious to tell where to put what. Also I totally love how painless it is to do browser-based testing. It just works. No need to make sure that Firefox is setup on the box or anything. There's both Firefox and Chrome (and Chromium) available on the machine, so I don't have to worry about it working, it just does.

What do you dislike?

There are a few UI pieces that could use a little work in their web interface. For example, trying to review logs during a build is a little bit of a challenge because if you try to expand the logs of one command, it's automatically closed as soon as the next log event occurs. Hard to describe. It doesn't impact reviewing the logs after the build is complete, but it's a little annoying as I'm trying to see how a current build is going.

I would also like it if they supported storing artifacts. I don't really have need of it now, but I'm sure we'll want it when we implement this at work and having to store it out in s3 or something will just be another thing we need to worry about :-(

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out with a personal project and you'll be hooked :-)

Right now at work, we're running on Jenkins. We've been having a lot of trouble hosting and managing it ourselves and I'm sick of it, so I decided to evaluate a few cloud-based options using one of my open source libraries. It's been amazing. Everything just works. So far, if I can get it to work on my machine, it will work on the CI servers, and that's just such a relief. I can't wait to try this out with our work projects.

Another thing I'm looking forward to is being able to do End to End testing easily. I didn't even want to try it with Jenkins, but it seriously took me just a few minutes to set up with Codeship.

Finally, our Jenkins builds are very complicated and there are a lot of moving parts (between tests, build, and deploy, lots can go wrong). With Codeship, things are much easier to reason about. It makes deploying everything much simpler.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Gerard S.
Gerard S.

"Codeship is the best CI tool for Meteor right now"

What do you like best?

Solid support. Even though we are on the free tier, I have opened a couple support requests, and the responses quickly solved my problems. The support sidebar (powered by Intercom) is very easy to use. I also like the Team capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The only thing missing was a button to disable the git build/deploy jobs (I had a reason to temporarily disable the build on a project). I had to go to Github and deactivate the integration to do this. I did suggest it in a support request, and they said they would put it on the roadmap.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are doing Meteor, Codeship is the best choice.

There are many CI products out there comparable to Codeship. However, Codeship was the only one that specifically addressed the Meteor platform. Also, it was the only one that specifically addressed deployment integration with the most popular Meteor hosting platform, Modulus.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Easy cloud ci/cd platform once you get past the steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of use. Being able to check in a .yml file that does all the work for me on a git push is really nice.

What do you dislike?

Getting up to speed was a lot harder than one would think it would be. The documentation was good but sometimes seemed to be a bit lax.

We use it for all our CI/CD builds to AWS

CloudBees CodeShip review by Daniel O.
Daniel O.

"Super quick setup and easy handling."

What do you like best?

The most exciting part was the super fast setup. I know Hudson and Jenkins as CI-Servers, I've never thought there can be such a fast and easy solution for this task. CI for me was always a hard job to set up and keep it running. Now its super easy!

Now I changed from Java to Ruby development. And it is even better. The whole automated testing and deployment and the project setup is made in less then 3 hours (for a beginner) makes this product just... wow...

What do you dislike?

When you have a lot of different Projects I miss a better overview where you can see all the statuses on a single glimpse. And something like a 'public-link' where someone only can see the status of the last build of a project (so the middle management can hit a link and see whats going on, but he should not be able to touch anything).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a go. I saves so much pain.

Our company offers online services for the public in the construction domain in Switzerland. Means we offer construction-request online forms that can be directly be sent to the building-authority. This way the customer sends all the data pre-valuated to the authority and the authority does not have to hand-type it again in there own application.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Gonçalo S.
Gonçalo S.

"Amazingly easy to set up!"

What do you like best?

I love the huge quantity of integrations with several deployment platforms, including AWS Elastic Beanstalk that no one is currently able to do! Awesome work, guys! :)

We actually rather use Codeship than a Travis CI IAM for AWS EC2. I just love how the whole process was pain-free. I got all the things set up (and I'm saying EVERYTHING, integrations with other services and all) in literally 10 to 15 minutes.

Congratulations on this amazing product!

What do you dislike?

I think it would be better if you had more tutorials. Specifically more tutorials about how to do some kinds of testing in different languages using your online editor.

And although you already have a few topics in the documentation about browser testing maybe do more thorough articles about using it on Codeship.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please do a favor to yourselves and go see for yourselves how SUPERIOR Codeship is, try other solutions in the market so you can really feel how easy and pain-free they have been able to make Continuous Integration for everybody.

After a thorough search and testing of all the CI services in the market I came to the conclusion that Codeship is by far the simplest and more user-friendly. Even using a Travis IAM on AWS is far more daunting than using Codeship from day 1.

The benefits are huge! We were using no CI system before and as so we can see huge differences when it comes to maintain the growing code base. Specifically I love how easy it was to report back to the whole team using Slack.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Vladimir K.
Vladimir K.

"Generous CI Solution"

What do you like best?

Out of the box Bit Bucket integration, service offers more then generous free package, really good for small teams that want have private projects. I was trying this service in past but interface wasn't looking that good, now they have revamped the interface, looks much cleaner and it's easier to use.

I like the way they everything is structured, seems logical and system is very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Documentation can be better, more deployment option for 3rd party services. It's still a work in progress but this service is going in good direction in my opinion. I have just scratched the surface with this product, still early to tell what else is wrong, but right now Documentation is the only thing that bothered me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend everyone to try Codeship, especially small teams with tight budget as the Codeship offers a lot in their free package.

I am working as a Team Lead and Senior PHP Developer, for a long time I was having problems making the team organized especially when things start to become hectic. I expect Codeship to help us keep organized and to make our workflow more uniform.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Matt G.
Matt G.

"A great tool for continuous delivery"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of the application and how easy it is to get started. Simply link it up to your Github account, push to a branch and Codeship starts working. The documentation is great and helps you get started quickly. It integrates nicely in to Slack. Lastly, I love how I don't need to manage any test infrastructure as Codeship creates an environment for you.

What do you dislike?

I would love to have the ability to kick off a deploy without having a push. I haven't seen any functionality for this. I would also like support for other languages.

It's the first time we're continuously deploying software at our company and Codeship has made this really easy to do. Previously we've tried Jenkins and Bamboo but they're overly complex and the setup is a pain. Now that we're deploying software continuously it will help us be more agile and ship quicker.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"Amazing product for build automation"

What do you like best?

Codeship is very easy to get started with and it doesn't get in your way. I really like the seamless integration with Github. We have it setup with Slack and its always refreshing when the build notifications pop up.

What do you dislike?

The interface takes some getting used to and it will be great to see more documentation on how to make the best of the features Codeship provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product as it has made it easy to automate our build processes and concentrate on building our product itself.

I want a product that makes it easy to automate my build process without putting in so much time. I've realized Codeship does just that and more!

CloudBees CodeShip review by Erik R.
Erik R.

"Extremely useful for staging and production deployment"

What do you like best?

I love being able to push my code to Github and rest assured that it will be built and deployed to my server and my team notified via Slack with no further involvement from myself. It could not be easier!

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the NPM caching was a little more sophisticated. For example, I have a project with NPM modules in two separate directories, but, as far as I know, caching of node_modules is limited only to the root of the repository.

Pushing out changes immediately to the staging server for testing has never been easier, resulting in quick feedback and quick development iterations.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Remy A.
Remy A.

"Easy, feature rich and "Just works""

What do you like best?

-- The first time "guided" install is a very good starting point. It lets you get familiar with the interface & settings

-- Excellent integration for Ruby/Rails trough RVM. Did not experience any problems with it even though I'm

using rbenv as my ruby version manager.

-- No "vendor" lock-in for your deployment pipeline, you can use one of the predefined popular hosting platforms or tools like Capistrano and if those aren't enough you can also just write a custom script!

-- A ton of software is available, databases (SQL, and NoSQL), various Queues and even Firefox & Chrome to run browser tests! Oh, BTW ElasticSearch also, so cool.

-- Being able to ssh into your build environment is a big plus.

-- And the docs are okay, not the most extensive I've seen, but it will do the job and like many others reported it just works pretty much always but some more docs are always welcome.

What do you dislike?

-- Adding in more VCS options. this will make it possible for me (and a lot of other users i guess) to almost switch over completely from self-hosted environments.

-- My environment is full Docker, so some integration with Docker would really be fantastic.

There is really not much more I can think of. The doc's could be extended a bit but that not a big issue for me personally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of managing your own CI & CD systems, this is really the best I've yet encountered.

Because I'm self-employed, I have to manage all my different development stages, which can sometimes be difficult. With Codeship I don't have to worry about difficult to maintain CI servers for my own projects, and instead focus on delivering my customers a better service.

Even though I always prefer controlling my own systems, Codeship does such a good job that It's hard to ignore.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Brian J.
Brian J.

"Codeship is essential to my workflow: day, night, and weekend"

What do you like best?

- Being able to configure my setup and test commands as a shell script

- Tight integrations with my other tools (with one exception listed in dislikes)

- The PyPI caching mechanism is superb... not quite sure how they accomplish it

- Works just as well for my open-source side-projects as for my day-job

- The blog posts! I usually spam filter e-mails from services that I use, but theirs are always great reads!

What do you dislike?

- Weak documentation for things I want to know; half of a page of block-formatted paragraphs do not satiate a passionate and pragmatic developer. Good thing it usually just works, but when pipelines are limited, I don't want to try things to see if they work. I want to understand what will happen in advance via API-ish documentation.

- I don't know if this is on Codeship's side of the Github integration or not; but a build which is queued does not show up as "waiting to see about...", it says "This pull request can be automatically merged." And more than once, team members (including me) have merged because we prematurely saw a green button, when in most cases, this is a valid indicator after performing a code review (yeah yeah, we should pay more attention).

- Don't allow newly pushed commits to the same pull request to be blocked by obsolete builds (our fault, and totally at the integration layer, but it'd be convenient if we made a fixup 20 seconds after our initial push and the previous build was suspended or cancelled)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nothing beats it. The development team is a crucial part of the cloud development and open-source communities. Intelligent automation means less time spent by me on the clock, doing something annoying.

Day-job: Agile team building an SDK/API for integrating HR business logic with various third-party partners, ensuring that we only merge code that meets our team's standards. A red light from codeship means that we don't even let our QA team see our work yet, and this saves us time and money.

Weekend-job: I work on open source side-projects involving software testing and project management which have very little to do with my day-job. But I am very passionate about improving the tools available to myself and my colleagues. Codeship helps me to keep in the habit of maintaining a shippable release, even though none of my own money is directly on the line.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Ken H.
Ken H.

"Very Quick Setup, Simple UI. Love it!"

What do you like best?

The integrations with hosting environments is the best I've seen. Nothing makes me happier than simply clicking a button and supplying an API key. Good job!

What do you dislike?

I like that Codeship validates the deploy worked by calling 'wget' on the domain. I don't like needing to return a 200 response on that call. My project is an API that uses JWT to authorize users and I had my root domain returning 401 - unauthorized and this was failing my build. The root of my domain doesn't have a controller so I simply forced it to not require authentication, but it would be nice if Codeship had a way to work with JWT tokens generated by the server.

I've used other CI tools and the only real benefit this gives me over the others I've used is a simple UI and wide array of 3rd party integrations. We use Slack to communicate and having our build fail in our team environment gets everyones attention, which is great!

CloudBees CodeShip review by Jason T.
Jason T.

"Codeship is simplicity at its finest"

What do you like best?

As the old adage goes, "it's easy to make something complicated but difficult to make something simple." Well, CodeShip worked hard and it shows. The CI system is straightforward and intuitive. Very nice. Works with bitbucket which is great for those with private repos on a budget.

What do you dislike?

The testing engine uses Python 2 by default with no option to use Python 3 on the testing settings page. The error message received from Python after my first failed build/test was misleading and sent me down the garden path for a while before I realized the environment was just setup wrong. After I realized that, I was able to find the correct code to switch to Python 3 in a help document. This code really should have been included and commented out inside the default test setup script. Lots of people are using Python 3 now and this could help a good number of them save time while setting up their first build.

Continuous Integration! I haven't tried the continuous deployment yet, but will once the application goes into production.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Gabriel F.
Gabriel F.

"Exceptional and easy"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use and configure, I also liked the user experience. I loved the integrations that exists, by the way all that is impleteded is sufficient to me at this moment

What do you dislike?

I think you should add more plugins and the price is a little high, at least for developers. Thinking out of the box, I think you should give the option to implement master/slave options, for example:

I want to run test and Deploy at a Android or IOS device, at this momento I don't know how to do this using codeship, but I know using Jenkins for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codeship is the easyer CI that I configured at this time, I already used Bamboo from Atlassian, Jenkins, Travis, TeamCity. Of course it needs more improvements, but it is in the right way.

As I said in the other option, I need master/slave configuration for some projects, mobile projects is the principal problem that I found.

This tool is awesome to garantee that your code is ok and your deploy is running as expected.

I am configuring a CI to a personal project integrated with cloud services, my project is running in nodejs and python, I also use Docker and others container solutions.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Hendra N.
Hendra N.

"Codeship is awesome tool! This tool is very useful for me in developing web applications."

What do you like best?

1. At the first of all its features and functionalities

2. The second one is ease of use #nodoubt. Codeship has simple and easy to use web GUI, so it won't takes much time for you to get familiar with the web app as well as in setting up your first project.

3. The other thing is regarding their docs which are documented well so whenever you're facing a problem, the docs is the first place you should go and i am pretty sure you won't get confused in reading its docs.

What do you dislike?

If Codeship can integrated with Gitlab as the connected services like Github and Bitbucket, i am sure a lot of Gitlab users will try Codeship if these apps have integrated. Based on my experience working with several various companies some of them were not use Github nor Bitbucket but they use Gitlab, so if you could make them connected then your target users will be more big.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codeship is awesome tool! Codeship makes the software developer's life much easier.

I would highly recommend Codebase to everyone!!

The business problems that we're trying to solve some of them are :

1. The Continuous Integration

2. Continuous Deployment

3. Testing

Those three things above are very important in software development cycle, especially in the matter of time and effort which consumed. Please noted, the three things above are iterative tasks and they can be bottleneck in software development when they run manually which obviously could have negative impact to the length of time of the software development itself.

After we use Codeship we can cut and throw away the bottleneck parts in our software development cycle. Now, our developers can focus on write code and Codeship handles the continuous integration, deployment and run automated tests.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Beau G.
Beau G.

"Codeship is easy to setup and works well."

What do you like best?

Codeship is able to run our tests quickly with its GitHub integration and deploy our code to Heroku. We get notifications of successes and failures to our ops channel in Slack.

If there are ever issues with running the tests the ability to SSH into a test server and debug them has proven very useful.

What do you dislike?

I'd like Codeship to be a bit smarter about some error cases that are unrelated to the tests--for example if the push to Heroku fails because of a timeout or because of a non-fast-forward commit (e.g. worse than the build failing, someone pushed directly to Heroku).

Continuous integration is important to us and Codeship made it easy.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"The missing deployment hook for AWS OpsWorks"

What do you like best?

We really like the clean and easy route into CI that Codeship provides, along with a generous free tier which enabled us to carry out private R&D without having to fully commit to a product which may not have been suitable, or that we would have had to test in public space.

What do you dislike?

We think the documentation could be a little more structured to provide concept and procedure guidance from a lower level, although the free guides and videos have been most useful and worth spending time with.

Codeship has provided us with the perfect 'missing link' for our AWS OpsWorks 'workflows', in that it is super easy to create an automated app deployment hook from Bitbucket to OpsWorks app deployment, for this alone it delivers huge value and has instantly become a core component for our AWS projects.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Dan R.
Dan R.

"Simple to use yet effective CI solution."

What do you like best?

The ease of use in terms of integration with out existing systems. We were very quickly able to spin up a new project in Codeship, integrate it with our Github repo's and kick off the CI process. We've even been able to set up a channel in Slack which reports the results of the builds :)

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be tightened up in some areas to make it a bit less confusing. The initial page shown after logging in can very quickly fill up with build reports which can make digging out the report you want to view a little tough. Some kind of filtering would be nice.

Primarily continuous integration and deployment. In the past we have run into issues where subsequent releases have caused regressions etc which we are now catching during the CI process.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Shy A.
Shy A.

"It worked out of the box!"

What do you like best?

Codeship worked out-of-the-box! Codeship won my love when its VM, unlike other services, was configured with recent-enough versions of nodejs (iojs), npm, and other dependencies. Where I spent days trying to solve strange upgrading requirements on other services, stuff just worked on Codeship!

What do you dislike?

There aren't enough features for larger / more complex organizational support, such as groups and user roles / ACLs. Such features will make it easier to use Codeship for more of our projects.

We want to increase the frequency and speed of deploying features and bugfixes so that our clients can see the work they pay for and they have an opportunity to approve / correct / discuss the state of their product as quickly as possible.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Olivier A.
Olivier A.

"Nice service"

What do you like best?

The UI is really intuitive and pretty.

The fact that you can have SSH access to a box is great. It help me a lot to figure out what was available on the machine and also what was going wrong in my scripts.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately you cannot run apt-get in your build. I got lucky since every build tools I needed (gem and npm) were preinstalled but at some point it might become an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good product.

This is the first continuous build for the code of my 3 people startup. In the near future I plan to deploy the result of my build to s3 and use it for manual deploys on preprod and prod machines.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"Life Saver"

What do you like best?

It saved me so much time, bottom line. CI would've been a very daunting task with such a tight deadline but this really streamlined it.

What do you dislike?

Not much as of yet. I had some trouble figuring out the best way to run the tests considering I was using gulp which had bower dependencies. I ended having to move all my dependencies to standard instead of devDeps anyways for Heroku so just rant he gulp task after npm.

Health IT, quickly getting setup with CI and not worrying about it once its ready is such a relief. Still haven't looked into the Parallel stuff yet but looks great. Also, have it hooked to Heroku which was a breeze.

CloudBees CodeShip review by User in Computer Software

"Great experience so far."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Helpful feedback when errors are received.

What do you dislike?

There should be better examples of setting up testing tasks. I also do not want to run tests against every branch. I have a dev branch that I might just want to push and see what happens. It is dev & I do not care if it passes a build.

Also, $49 is steep for a single user small project. 100 free builds is great but a lot of people will pay $9 or so if they like a product. AKA same features as free tier but bump up the builds a bit. $49 is nothing for a company but a lot of people have side projects and pay out of pocket.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Why not try it out.

I need to ensure that my projects big & small are only deployed when they are ready to be deployed. I cannot simply rely on github or a specific branch.

CloudBees CodeShip review by David S.
David S.

"Codeship is a great CI tool"

What do you like best?

Setup is super easy

Link to GitHub, Heroku, and other systems can get a setup ready in a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

Not much.

When using parallel CI, tests results from different pipes cannot be aggregated into one.

Continuous integration and delivery.

By using Codeship, we have a tool that automatically detects new submitted code, runs a test suite to ensure no regression was introduced, generates automated documentation, and, when necessary, releases the new code live. No hassle.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Dan R.
Dan R.

"Reliable product"

What do you like best?

I like the cost and seamless integration with our git repository in bitbucket.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are discrepancies between failures on codeship and locally, especially with Rails-based capybara specs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for the docker integration to start with. We're still on the old infrastructure, but just because we've been too busy to change things around.

We are making our product more solid in terms of reducing the number of bugs in production and avoiding regression bugs.

CloudBees CodeShip review by Mateus B.
Mateus B.

"Just awesome!"

What do you like best?

To begin with, all its features and functionalities. Codeship has simple and easy to use web GUI, so it won't takes much time for you to get familiar with, as well as in setting up your projects.

Then you have documentation. Their docs are so well documented so whenever you're facing a problem, there's the solution.

What do you dislike?

They could integrate with other source controls tools and services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and setup. If you don't already have any other tools to automate continuous integration/delivery and testing, give a try to Codeship and you wont be disappointed.

Continuous Integration, deployment and testing.

Since i work alone, automating this tasks is a big help.

CloudBees CodeShip review by User in Internet

"Codeship makes running tests easier"

What do you like best?

You can setup multiple pipelines to run different parts of your tests so they run concurrently and finish faster. They also have tie ins with common chat apps so you can get notified of the results without having to check on it every few minutes. We also can put a status image on our pull requests so reviewers can see if the tests are passing.

What do you dislike?

If you have a lot of failures it can take a minute for the page to load the whole list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use pipelines to get your tests to run faster

Testing our code. Faster results with our testing and notifications when they fail.

Learn more about CloudBees CodeShip

CloudBees CodeShip Videos

Learning about CloudBees CodeShip?

* We monitor all CloudBees CodeShip reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.