Code School

Code School is an online learning destination for developers that teaches through entertaining content.

Work for Code School?

Learning about Code School?

Code School Reviews

Ask Code School a Question
Showing 23 Code School reviews
Code School review by <span>Steven R. M.</span>
Steven R. M.

Excellent Experienced Based Learning

What do you like best?

I love that as you work through the courses there are min-tests. You need to past the test to move on. If you do not pass the test after 2 attempts you need to re do the modules. I also like that throughout the course there are sims where you actually do the work. It is not just Nuggets where you watch and move on. You actually need to work your way through the courses. I also love the team dashboard so that if you have a work account you can challenge each other and hold each other accountable.

What do you dislike?

I really wish they had some PowerShell Courses or Power CLI for VMWare. The offerings they have are great but I really wish it was more extensive, especially being on the Systems side of Sysops.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Code School in and of itself is great, but they were bought by Pluralsight. With a pluralsight account you get Code School for free and have access to far more courses across both libraries.

It gives greats hand on learning platform. It helps me explore new technologies we are looking at implementing. Or growing my skills on those already in use. I love that it is a whole library of courses, and learning paths. I can do a specific course, or the whole path depending on how much I need to learn. I also appreciate the gamification of the badges you can earn and compare. It is an amazing platform. And if you have full access to Pluralsight you get this for free.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Code School
Code School review by <span>Luis Alejandro C.</span>
Luis Alejandro C.

Great place to keep up to date with software development skills.

What do you like best?

Code School has a wide variety of courses to learn coding skills, mostly web development skills. From Javascript basics, to cutting edge tech & tools like React, Angular, and many others.

The platform offered to go through these courses is awesome, with well-explained lectures followed by coding challenges that can be solved within the app. The experience is really pleasant.

What do you dislike?

I would like them to put some courses for free for a limited period of time, for example a weekend, so people that are not paying to use the product, could at least take advantage of these offers if they're interested.

They could also offer more variety of paid plans, they just have two choices: "free", and "paid". Maybe they could organize this in a better way, so people could pay a bit less to access less content, something like that, this is just a brief idea.

It would be great to make challenges a bit more "challenging", so course evaluations have more value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're passionate about software development, and would like to keep up building your skills, this is definitely the place to go.

Even if you're a beginner in software development, there are lots of courses for you, and believe me when I say it's fun to learn here.

I use Code School to keep me up to date with the latest tech & tools to build software apps. This is essential for every software developer, and Code School makes it fun as well.

What Online Course Providers solution do you use?

Code School review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

An awesome and fun way to learn new technologies for web developers

What do you like best?

Code School is regularly updating their content so they are constantly relevant for the most part. In addition, their courses are in bite-sized chunks making them easy to digest as well as to do some and come back to them. Each course has a theme song which are often catchy and amusing too. Their course content is very high quality all the way around.

What do you dislike?

While mostly relevant, they are occasionally slow to get some of their courses out there. The React one was just released in late April, 2016, for example. Their library is growing but could be larger. I suspect this will happen now that Pluralsight owns them; and given the quality of the content, it's understandable that they are not just churning it out. My only real complain is the cost; while $29/month is worth it, there's so many options/alternatives to them these days that it seems like they could bring that down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in the web development industry already, or just getting started, and looking for a website to learn from, Code School provides high quality content and great teaching style. Their courses are also fun and once you get started it becomes almost addictive. It's very easy to complete most of their courses within a few hours if not quicker. I highly recommend Code School.

I've used Code School on and off for over 5 years to learn new technologies and better understand some I already know. The way they approach teaching is both fun and effective.

Code School review by <span>Daniel K.</span>
Daniel K.

Attractive, rich and engaging way to learn even advanced concepts

What do you like best?

Best thing in Code School is that it presents learning materials in very attractive way. Videos are great and often have their own songs for teaching programming concepts. Videos and slides are very good introduction to topic and learning source, but then you have to write code in environment that is very similar to actual programming job. Code School gives you advice if you did good in real-time and sometimes you have also steps on how to achieve somewhat more complicated task. Everything in a mix with lots of quality content gives great experience to any developer who is eager to learn.

What do you dislike?

To me some courses very far too easy and didn't have more professional, advanced alternative (I'm talking about Ember.js specifically). Also I had issues in my browser on 1366x768 resolution. Sometimes certain elements of page were displayed so I couldn't interact with them and had to restart whole part of course to be able to complete lesson and move forward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Code School is great way to learn. Seems like Pluralsight wants to integrate it to its courses so I guess whole platform for learning will have lots of quality content in 1 big platform.

If someone is looking for attractive way to learn programming there are also other things to consider like learning by "playing game" (writing logic for characters to complete quests etc.), but Code School gives very professional experience and seems like it's best platform out there for interactive programming learning while writing code in practical cases.

You have to learn to be better programmer. Every programmer probably has his/hers weak sides and I've used Code School to, for example, have better understanding of how Regular Expressions work. By the way, course on Regular Expressions - Breaking Ice is amazing.

Code School review by <span>Thiago O.</span>
Thiago O.

Codeschool has gotten me a job!

What do you like best?

The videos! They make the explanation as easy as it can get. The editing and the animation effects are very cool, the video is very well produced. Also, the fact that they aren't too long, so it helps a lot for learning, because it keeps us really focused.

Another thing is the gamification, it's a very good feeling when you complete a course and get a badge. I love to share them on my twitter.

What do you dislike?

It depends on the course, but most of the times, I feel like they don't go very deep into a subject. So Code School is very good for beginners, but when you want to go to the next level and learn more advanced stuff, I usually have to look for other resources. Also, even though the videos are very good, I feel like their video player doesn't follow the same quality. I often have problems with it reloading the content, or getting stuck at some part. (My connection is good!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

The money you invest, will sure return to you! :) It's a great product, and I really recommend!

Just trying to learn the latest web technologies, and improve my skills. Over the years, It has helped me a lot! I even got a new job because of a skill I learned there (it was not the only reason, but it did help). It its the place I start when I want to learn something new.

Code School review by <span>Enmanuel D.</span>
Enmanuel D.

Amazing place to learn!

What do you like best?

Code School is an amazing place to learn about technologies, in my case web technologies, The way that they use to teach is really interactive, they show you the path and guide you through it step by step, you can also watch some courses for free. The platform gives you certificates so if you care about it and want your profile on linked to look a little bit better it's a +1 for then. Another thing I like about it is the fact that it's a pluralsight company and I've been using pluralsight for a while now and they have some pretty good courses and even better teachers.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any complaints for now, the platform has been solid, the UI has been great, also the videos are really fast so the server should be good. In the other hand I do have something to say about the UI of the video player, it could be better and more attractive for the users because the actual player is a common design and there is something users appreciate a lot, well ended design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a chance and watch some clases, you could be interested in one of the courses they offer, you can see the intro class for free normaly so go ahead, it's really interactive.

Learning node js with real time applications, one of the major benefits is the online emulators taht allows you to practice your tasks.

Learning about Code School?

* We monitor all Code School reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.