Code42

Showing 289 Code42 reviews
Code42 review by <span>A E.</span>
A E.

operating system support lacking

What do you like best?

software works well. I originally used their personal edition until I was "forced" to switch to the business edition.

What do you dislike?

after being forced to switch to their business version and signed up for 3 years. I opened up a support ticket and they told me my Debian operating system (latest version) is not supported, they only support RedHat 7.1,7.2,7.3 and Ubuntu. Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian I see no reason why it's not supported. Anyways, point being that if you are running a business it's highly likely you are NOT running their "supported" operating systems and will be stuck in the situation where your backups don't work..., potentially losing all your data due to "unsupported. For this reason I would not recommend this software to any colleagues.

When I transitioned from personal to business, code42 specifically migrated my computers, they knew the operating systems and could have at that time told me my computer was unsupported. I would have not transitioned and looked for an alternative.

Recommendations to others considering the product

would not recommend

backups

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Code42
Code42 review by <span>Frank C. P.</span>
Frank C. P.

Now much stronger with Forensic

What do you like best?

Easy to install on the server and on the clients. Excellent documentation of Server Install guidelines for all environments.

Exellent self Service features for the clients.

When we have questions we find more than 80% of the answers on the well updated service websites at code42.com.

We use the Smartphone Apps very frequent to restore single files.

Now that the Ransomware discussion is growing rapidly we feel comfortable as we can recover quickly due to the File HIstory we have on the storage that allows us to go back in history before the attack.

What do you dislike?

The initial backup takes quite some time as it deduplicates and only uses a fraction of the bandwidth. I would also like to see more integration of OneDrive, Box or DropBox as destinations of backup. Pricing structure has changed several times in the last year for business users, we would like to see a ProE-Light version as pure license model. Waiting for an update of the iPhone / iPad device app. Hope to see some better functions on the smartphone side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start tests with apr. 5-10 users. Then roll-out in waves and watch the storage size and also adopt your policy rules. FIrst test new upgrades/updates on test server and with test users. This has gotten better with the latest releases but during 4.x we were better off testing first.

Backup of all notebooks/laptops of our company. Exchange of data quickly via the Smartphone Apps. Be prepared for a Ransomware attack and be able to mitigate such a loss of data. Migrate between Windows and MAC machines.

What Backup solution do you use?

Code42 review by <span>Angel M.</span>
Angel M.

Easy to set up and trustworthy back up tool

What do you like best?

What I like most of Code42 Crash Plan is that it is really easy to install and set up. Just logged in with the credential provided by company and I was backing up in seconds. The amount of system resources that the process uses is moderate (regarding RAM memory and processor), compared with another programs like Symantec or others I don;t remember the name.

What do you dislike?

Too many steps until I get to my files (to say something negative, but I really like this app). Another thing I don;t like much is the big installation of the app. Like 934 MB. With all the apps going online (and this one much more being an online backup) It makes no sense to have such large installations. I can't imaging with the SSD drives (some of them 128 GB), this might be a big problem as you really need to have the essential apps installed in your computers. I have 256gb ssd, so, for now, this is not a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are so many options in the market, but give it a free try and I am pretty sure you will like it. I think if you go to their website, you can try it for free, so you won't loose anything!

I'm solving the Backup problems in my company and it's in an encrypted way in the USA, which is very important to me and to us. And being encrypted and managing Hippa sensible data, it's more than perfect for this matter.

Code42 review by <span>Joshua B.</span>
Joshua B.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

Crashplan: No worries about backups and ransomware anymore. Now with security tools! (updated)

What do you like best?

The administrative console allows you to see anyone that is having trouble with their backup. Trouble is rare but missing a backup for even a day is a setback. This allows you to be proactive. The new security tools allow real time tracking for files to help combat the insider threat. Alarms can be set for suspicious behaviors. Sounds complicated but it's really not. Forensics is also a snap. You can bring up the full history of a file.

What do you dislike?

The restoration process from the cloud can take quite some time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Automated emailing of reports to Management is a huge time saver.

Worrying about fighting ransom-ware is a thing of the past. Just rebuild and restore. Also no need to make your users responsible for their backups. Admins can keep an eye on it.

Code42 review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

Simple and easy

What do you like best?

CrashPlan gives me peace of mind whenever drive failures inevitably happen. Not only does CrashPlan scale extremely well, but it allows for intricate customization when necessary. As an administrator for CrashPlan, their support is top notch and they make sure the problem is always resolved.

What do you dislike?

There could be some quality improvements, e.g. having the storepoints reflect actual data usage as opposed to a snapshot of current usage. Removing deactivated device entries from the database as well since it seems to affect reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a lightweight client that scales in a large corporate environment, CrashPlan provides that solution.

We use CrashPlan mostly as a disaster recovery application. It has helped many users who have experienced drive failures get up and running within hours. We've had a couple instances of ransomware attacks that were easily mitigated as a result of having CrashPlan as well. It also has a very capable legal hold application that we sometimes use to verify IP protection.

Code42 review by <span>Karl S.</span>
Karl S.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

Reasonably priced, easy to use, helpful support

What do you like best?

Easy to deploy the Enterprise version to my desktop clients-- Crashplan encrypts and backs up data to Crashplan's cloud for a large number of remote clients, and provides me a central console to monitor status. At least under current pricing, Crashplan does not charge by the GB of storage, so I don't have to be monitoring or policing what data my clients might happen to store.

What do you dislike?

Client reporting includes automated email notifications which are great, but communication to clients often appears to indicate that backups are never completed. This seems to unnecessarily alarm users that their data is not safe. The quality of this communication could be improved. Recent update from one version to another for Crashplan cloud customers is an automated process, and was very painful in the cases that the update failed. Had to spend too much time fixing those clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the trial use and experiment with it. Calculate cost per user including storage costs to compare

Backing up dispersed client base with many GB of remote data, as well as data on file servers pretty much on autopilot, with occasional monitoring. I love being able to download simple file restores, push a restore to a client machine, or do complete restores to a client when a hard drive or system fails.

Learn more about Code42

Code42 Videos

Code42 Downloads

Learning about Code42?

* We monitor all Code42 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.