Code42

Ask Code42 a Question
Showing 300 Code42 reviews
Code42 review by <span>Ken B.</span>
Ken B.

"Couple years later and still our #1 backup choice"

What do you like best?

From the beginning the assistance with the implementation and rollout was great. Our professional services were with us until we were ready to transition. We took it really slow out of caution and previous experiences with other vendors, but the rollout was probably on of the best and smoothest projects to date for us. Any issues and the code42 team has been there to assist us as best they can.

What do you dislike?

There were some design features that we needed to adjust for. Creating custom packages, etc. However with each upgrade the product is just evolving and becoming more seamless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider going full cloud. We went hybrid. Believe the improvements and features implemented now would have made us go cloud in the first place.

Our main concern for implementing was for protecting our data for legal compliance. It has done that and so much more. We have been able to lock down user backups for compliance, however keep it flexible enough to the point we can address any issues and concerns.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Code42
Code42 review by <span>Angel M.</span>
Angel M.

"Easy to set up and trustworthy back up tool"

What do you like best?

What I like most of Code42 Crash Plan is that it is really easy to install and set up. Just logged in with the credential provided by company and I was backing up in seconds. The amount of system resources that the process uses is moderate (regarding RAM memory and processor), compared with another programs like Symantec or others I don;t remember the name.

What do you dislike?

Too many steps until I get to my files (to say something negative, but I really like this app). Another thing I don;t like much is the big installation of the app. Like 934 MB. With all the apps going online (and this one much more being an online backup) It makes no sense to have such large installations. I can't imaging with the SSD drives (some of them 128 GB), this might be a big problem as you really need to have the essential apps installed in your computers. I have 256gb ssd, so, for now, this is not a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are so many options in the market, but give it a free try and I am pretty sure you will like it. I think if you go to their website, you can try it for free, so you won't loose anything!

I'm solving the Backup problems in my company and it's in an encrypted way in the USA, which is very important to me and to us. And being encrypted and managing Hippa sensible data, it's more than perfect for this matter.

What Backup solution do you use?

Code42 review by <span>Jeremy J.</span>
Jeremy J.

"Excellent Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan is a user friendly application that allows encrypted backup of local files without a performance hit to your computer. It provides IT professionals an easy way to migrate data from one machine to another.

What do you dislike?

The CrashPlan ProE management interface could be more user firendly, but Code 42 is working to update the interface. Due to the nature of the real-time file backup, CrashPlan can struggle with large amounts of data (500GB+).

Recommendations to others considering the product

One big selling point to our user base was that the data is encrypted before it even leaves your computer. You and/or your organization hold the encryption keys. Code42 does not know what you are storing nor can they decrypt it.

We now have a uniform solution for faculty and staff members to backup data. In the past it was up to the individual to backup their data. Now we have assurance that the data is protected and archived. CrashPlan also allows us to easily migrate data from one machine to another.

Code42 review by <span>Adam S.</span>
Adam S.

"CrashPlan is King"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan makes endpoint backup a walk in the park. It does everything it claims to do, and it does it quickly, quietly and seamlessly. The administrative console is easy to use and navigate. After the environment is up and running, maintenance and administration is minimal.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could use some enhancement, though there are additional capabilities coming in the latest release which we should be upgrading to in the near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pull the trigger and then sleep easy knowing your users' data is safe and secure.

Traditionally we used network shares to store and backup data, but an increasingly mobile workforce makes that a poor process if the end user is rarely in the office to refresh changes. CrashPlan allows us to reliably secure our end users' data at any time, no matter where they are. Now we are using the Security Tools suite to help gain insight into the mobility of our company data. We are hoping to make use of the newly announced Forensic File Search in the near future.

Code42 review by <span>A E.</span>
A E.

"operating system support lacking"

What do you like best?

software works well. I originally used their personal edition until I was "forced" to switch to the business edition.

What do you dislike?

after being forced to switch to their business version and signed up for 3 years. I opened up a support ticket and they told me my Debian operating system (latest version) is not supported, they only support RedHat 7.1,7.2,7.3 and Ubuntu. Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian I see no reason why it's not supported. Anyways, point being that if you are running a business it's highly likely you are NOT running their "supported" operating systems and will be stuck in the situation where your backups don't work..., potentially losing all your data due to "unsupported. For this reason I would not recommend this software to any colleagues.

When I transitioned from personal to business, code42 specifically migrated my computers, they knew the operating systems and could have at that time told me my computer was unsupported. I would have not transitioned and looked for an alternative.

Recommendations to others considering the product

would not recommend

backups

Code42 review by <span>Frank C. P.</span>
Frank C. P.

"Now much stronger with Forensic "

What do you like best?

Easy to install on the server and on the clients. Excellent documentation of Server Install guidelines for all environments.

Exellent self Service features for the clients.

When we have questions we find more than 80% of the answers on the well updated service websites at code42.com.

We use the Smartphone Apps very frequent to restore single files.

Now that the Ransomware discussion is growing rapidly we feel comfortable as we can recover quickly due to the File HIstory we have on the storage that allows us to go back in history before the attack.

What do you dislike?

The initial backup takes quite some time as it deduplicates and only uses a fraction of the bandwidth. I would also like to see more integration of OneDrive, Box or DropBox as destinations of backup. Pricing structure has changed several times in the last year for business users, we would like to see a ProE-Light version as pure license model. Waiting for an update of the iPhone / iPad device app. Hope to see some better functions on the smartphone side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start tests with apr. 5-10 users. Then roll-out in waves and watch the storage size and also adopt your policy rules. FIrst test new upgrades/updates on test server and with test users. This has gotten better with the latest releases but during 4.x we were better off testing first.

Backup of all notebooks/laptops of our company. Exchange of data quickly via the Smartphone Apps. Be prepared for a Ransomware attack and be able to mitigate such a loss of data. Migrate between Windows and MAC machines.

Learn more about Code42

Code42 Videos

Code42 Downloads

Learning about Code42?

* We monitor all Code42 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.