Codecademy

Codecademy is a team of hackers working hard to build a better way for anyone to teach, and learn, how to code.

Work for Codecademy?

Learning about Codecademy?

Codecademy Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 96 Codecademy reviews
Codecademy review by Irina D.
Irina D.

"The best platform to learn programming and check your progress straight away"

What do you like best?

Codecademy explains so well the principles of programming that even a beginner will understand without any problem. For me the best thing is that the screen is devided into three parts: 1. theory that your need to read 2. in the middle of the screen there is a part where you do coding 3. on the left from coding part you see the final result of your coding, let´s say - what would appear on the screen if you write a certain code. The platform checks in real time wether you did the programming exercise well or not. They also provide hints to exercises and a correct solution in case you are stuck. All the lessons are divided into small steps, which is handy for learning. And these all in a free subscription option. Might you want more lessons and exercises - PRO is also very affordable, 19,99 dollars per month, it is worth it

What do you dislike?

There´s nothing I did not like about Codecademy

Recommendations to others considering the product

To try it, it´s awesome.

I am using the platform as a support in learning programming languages and developing apps.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Codecademy
Codecademy review by Niño A.
Niño A.

"One of my guide or lesson in coding"

What do you like best?

I search for the easy lesson for the jquery and I found out the CodeAcademy has the jquery lessons. I try the course I selected then It makes me more convenient to learn more about the course that I selected.

What do you dislike?

as what I've experience I don't like the tips or a cheat code in the tutorial it must be a hint or clue to determine the answer of each topic because I rather go to cheat code and try to see about the difference of my code which is bad to us to improve our logical ability

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are beginner then try this one to learn more about the courses of what you needed to learn for the sake of your career and your future and it gives you a lot of details that makes you easily to under

I'm just a Trainee as a Junior Web Developer on that time when I used this software. this software is one of my path to become a Developer in school.

What Online Course Providers solution do you use?

Codecademy review by Ryadh C.
Ryadh C.

"Learn perfectly"

What do you like best?

For to be accepted in informatique school in France, I begun to learn some langages like javascript on codecademy and it was a proof for school. When you learn a complete courses you won badges and you can proof you're level. The user interface is very clear and simply to understand what you must do. If you forgot something not problem you can find all steps and you can access to yours courses from all places with Internet connection. Thanks to codecademy for all knowledges I won. Codecademy is available in many languages (french and english for me).You can create projects and keep them on your profile. There's a new system on codecademy for pro level you can participate to real pro projects. It might not save your current job, but it could greatly help you get your next job. Adding skills to your CV is about making yourself sellable for the next position you apply for. Codecademy Pro Intensives have helped thousands of learners take their careers to the next level

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there's bugs but you can refresh the page and all will work at the same point. All site is not in French fortunately I understand english.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to learn IT langages : Codecademy. Fast, easy and be better

I have now most skills and I can find job where and when I want. For example: now I'm learning ReactJS on codecademy.

Codecademy review by Taylor P.
Taylor P.

"Great Introduction for aspiring Front-end/Back-end Developers"

What do you like best?

The courses are curated for ease of use and explaining the fundamental basics for anyone new to the field. Just about any individual could complete their courses with little to no prior experience.

What do you dislike?

There is word that my proposed "dislike" about the company has been resolved or changed. But from my experience, I did not believe the course lessons were properly organized in regards to the order in which they were taught. I found the JavaScript course to have many lessons that were in quite a peculiar order and not conducive in building your knowledge on certain subjects that would later be revisited. Although I found this to be an issue when I initially signed up with Codecademy, I re-visited the course after they had updated it a year later and the course was written in a very constructive and fluid manner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to dive into learning a coding language but do not know where to start, then Codecademy is a wonderful platform to get your feet wet at a very reasonable monthly price.

Better communication & fluid workflow between colleagues in IT. I've found it quite beneficial teaching myself the fundamentals of many coding languages so that Designers, developers, and programmers can one day work in perfect harmony.

Codecademy review by Jess U.
Jess U.

"A great free or paid option to pick up some new software engineering skills"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Codecademy is that I can do use it from any device that has a web browser. That's an incredibly powerful tool to be able to pick up where I left off my self-learning from any device. I wanted to do some self study and learn some skills in back end web development, and Codecademy gave me a clear plan forward to learn what I wanted, without even asking a dime from me, unless I wanted additional resources to help me in my learning.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see them expand and offer some more content. What you get from paid content seems to be a little lacking. I think they have all the tools in place to be the go-to site for learning software development in a fun and easy way, they just need to expand their catalogue to go more in depth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a good resource for picking up additional languages with a huge support network (forums where you can ask questions about specific problems, etc.), then Codecademy is a great starting point. It's also a great way to make a roadmap or plan of how you're going to go about learning new languages and their interactive problems to solve are great for anybody at any level of programming proficiency.

Picking up additional software engineering skills is always useful, and in turn this has allowed me to work on some projects outside of my normal development team. It's always important to keep growing your toolbox.

Codecademy review by Pedro P.
Pedro P.

"Codecademy is good, but with caveats"

What do you like best?

Honestly, the best thing about Codecademy is its interface. Having such a powerful learning tool baked into a web browser that can be accessed anywhere at any time is truly remarkable. I also love how many different languages are offered. I started using it to learn HTML/CSS, as I haven't dealt with that much due to my primary focus being on using C++/C# for Windows application development for work.

What do you dislike?

Codecademy seems to start off at a slow pace, and then quickly jumps ahead. It just feels like there are missing steps, which can be very detrimental to a beginner. Notably, this isn't an all in one tool to teach yourself programming. You're going to need many additional resources to become a well rounded software engineer in your language of choice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codecademy is definitely a good start, but I would probably recommend FreeCodeCamp over it if your primary interest is learning HTML/CSS/Javascript. Codecademy has the big important pieces there but lacks the finer details that you will need to fully understand the code you're writing. The paid options are inexpensive as well and offer you quite a bit more options for different languages you can learn.

My job is always evolving, so I took initiative to try to learn other languages and skills. Codecademy gave me a good starting point of what to study and learn, which is incredibly useful. Having a roadmap to follow Is definitely necessary in software engineering.

Codecademy review by Bradford Tyler S.
Bradford Tyler S.

"Codeacademy is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to learn coding basics."

What do you like best?

The best feature about Codeacademy is that the entry-level courses are free. I frequently refer people to this site who think they might be interested in coding. The site does a great job of explaining things thoroughly. Most importantly, the courses include lots of required interaction and participation.

What do you dislike?

I have only tried several of the courses, but I wish that there were more courses available for all types of code. I also wish that the courses included Excel and Sequel since those skills are in such high demand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go give it a try. You'll find out pretty quick if the teaching style works for you. Also, the entry-level courses are free of cost so it's a great trial opportunity. I have tried it several different times and frequently refer it to others.

I love being able to send my employees to Codeacademy for simple training to expand their job knowledge. HTML, in particular, has been a great skill to learn and practice on the site.

Codecademy review by Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.

"It's finally clicked!"

What do you like best?

I had a hard time as a beginner trying to learn code until I found Codeacademy. Codeacademy gives short, digestible lessons with hands-on activities you can complete right in the browser. This hands-on work is what made the content really stick for me. They also explain every part of the lesson—every term, function, etc.—so it's as stump-free as possible.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far! I do wish I could do everything for free, but Codeacademy is so valuable and the cost for the pro features is relatively low, so the pricing is pretty generous already.

Professional development for me and my team. We aren't a team that's really required to know or work with code besides basic HTML, but we did have some old CSS that hadn't been updated in the five years since the person who created it left. I was able to use Codeacademy and freeCodeCamp to learn enough HTML and CSS (among other skills/languages) to update that old CSS. Felt pretty good.

Codecademy review by Naasseh A.
Naasseh A.

"You help; We pass"

What do you like best?

It gives us a very good theoretical and practical knowledge, specially practically it gives more fluency. An amazing one for beginners to start with. Once you started you may not be able to stop because it gives a feeling like playing a game. It has several levels from easy to hard. so it helps you to understand the relationship between each coding. Everything is explained beautifully.

What do you dislike?

Most of the lesson lack context which is a drawback and sometimes limit the practical knowledge as well. Whatever there is nicely presented, But i feel more context can be added for the perfect knowledge. Also there is no feature to recall the past.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NO charge, learn as much as you want, Best ever. Please try

I use it to learn about HTML. Have ideas to carry on further. It makes you work so eagerly. So you never get bored. Now i have an immense knowledge in web developing.

Codecademy review by Basama J.
Basama J.

"No teacher needed"

What do you like best?

An excellent website which makes me feel like I never need a teacher, The best one for beginners. Each course here has a series of units and lessons, each with an explanation and give chance to try it out yourself. if you go wrong it will indicate where it. this gives a very good practice, It has levels which looks like a game, so from the easy to hardest it takes us and never let us to be bored.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we forget what we practiced, So it has to be written down somewhere. I prefer a feature where I can save whatever had been done.So I can recall it whenever forgotten. Also it teaches the syntax of a programming language, but it does not teach how to apply it in many parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best application ever I used for education purpose. You will realize sometimes you will never need a teacher.

I used it to study python programming. It got the best out of me and made me learn so enthusiastically. As an undergraduate it helped me understand what exactly programming language is.

Codecademy review by Adrienne O.
Adrienne O.

"Great Resource for Developing Basic Coding Skills "

What do you like best?

Code Academy has great, interactive tutorials. It provides the user with a great understanding of the syntax. I also like that it is accessible to individuals of all backgrounds.

What do you dislike?

The resource teaches you the basics of many programming languages, however, there is not a focus on how to apply this to a real problem a programmer might run into. The other thing I have run into is that you don't necessarily revisit topics. I would love for the theory of programming to be more of a focus. I do realize though that a different forum is likely better for this additional learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great first step if you only care about learning the syntax.

Codeacademy was a great resource to learn the basics of code. As a nontechnical person who was working with students learning code, I was able to better understand the difficulties my students faced.

Codecademy review by Kyle P.
Kyle P.

"Cut to the Chase Way to learn code"

What do you like best?

Example-oritented way of teaching new computer languages. If you’re the type that likes supplemental learning, you might be out of luck

What do you dislike?

No text based reading resources. If you’re the type that likes supplemental learning, you might be out of luck

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learning the Codecademy way is similar to learning a spoken language through a program like Rosetta Stone for example - it teaches concepts through immediate contextual examples as opposed to linear concepts in a textbook. Still, it should be used as a good foundational starting point for learning a programming language, supplemented with real life experience, rather than expecting it to make you become an expert.

Our company requires knowledge of certain programming languages to resolve development issues. Codecademy is the best way we know to get up and running fast.

Codecademy review by Joanna D.
Joanna D.

"Great place to start learning how to code"

What do you like best?

I've just started two of their web developer courses and they are great. All topicks are clearly explained and they are in logical order. Web interface is superb: clear, intuitive and realy good looking. Thats how all web courses should looks like. You can practice in the time you chose and with your own speed. All of that for free (in basic version) but if you want to get more quizzes and projects you can go for PRO version - it cost $19,99 a month (16,99 for annual subscription). You can cancel within 14 days and get a full refund so your not deciding blindly.

What do you dislike?

Lack of good mobile app or mobile web version of the web page and lack of ability to learn or download courses content for offline learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it out, you can learn a lot for less money (or even for free) than you can think.

Changing my work profile by learning how to code.

Codecademy review by Abhishek A.
Abhishek A.

"Great website, needs more courses"

What do you like best?

If someone visits this website then he will definitely become great at web and mobile development. Also, there are basic courses like HTML, CSS, command line and git. Great UI and animations as well. The code editor is also awesome.

What do you dislike?

Community forum can be made better, I personally prefer something like stack overflow. More courses are needed. Especially, a wider domain of courses are needed for machine learning, AL, NLP, data structures, and algorithms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would love to recommend it to my friends and my students. Also, I will also be sharing this review on my LinkedIn page.

I learned a great deal about web development on this website. I personally think that this is the best website for learning web and mobile development. After learning web development, I made a personal webpage and a paid website.

Codecademy review by Jennifer R.
Jennifer R.

"Best way to learn to code free online"

What do you like best?

The step-by-step way codeacademy teaches you to code. With every new step you practice coding, and become a little better at it. There are also community forums to help you engage other users. I love that you are enabled to teach yourself a valuable skill for free.

What do you dislike?

While it is interactive, it is monotonous. For a $199 fee you can learn how to code faster. Sometimes, it is hard to interpret their directions. I wish there was a "show answer" button, so you could see what you are doing wrong when you don't understand something.

It teaches you a valuable skill that you can add to your resume. By learning how to code, you are enabled to work for yourself as a freelance web-designer.

Codecademy review by Victor M.
Victor M.

"great learning experience"

What do you like best?

I enjoy working with code academy because as a beginner, it is really easy to use and there are plenty of resources to help understand the system. Learning how to code can be frustrating but the ease of use within code academy provides the user the support needed to work through the content.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to move through if you are stuck on a task. I had a problem while trying to learn python and I could not move forward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend using code academy. I recommend to students and friends

I am familiarizing myself with the world of data and coding. It is extremely beneficial as I speak about it every day with the student I advise.

Codecademy review by Sally L.
Sally L.

"Great Learning Platform"

What do you like best?

I really liked how much each lesson was broken down. Being unfamiliar with HTML and CSS, I was concerned that I might have difficulty just using the software to teach me. Codecademy went step-by-step in a way that was easy to understand, even for someone unfamiliar with coding.

What do you dislike?

Once the steps got more advanced, I had a bit more trouble and it was hard to figure out what I was doing wrong, but I was able to figure it out eventually. Having the software explain it to you a different way or provide additional examples might have been helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a solution to learn basic HTML and CSS, this is a perfect tool to do that. If you have coding experience, then the other languages could be learned as well once you have a well established foundation.

Although we have an email platform with an editor that makes it possible to write HTML emails without knowing how to code, knowing HTML has allowed me to solve problems without using the editor, or when it's not obvious where the formatting issues are. This has greatly improved my workflow.

"Codeacademy Review"

What do you like best?

I had a difficult time in learning basic programming courses but Codeacademy gives short, digestible lessons with hands-on activities you can complete right in the browser. This hands-on work is what made the content really stick for me. Also, as they have an online editor I was able to use it on my Chromebook which really helped me. Now I use this to help my students in grasping and understanding basic CSE classes and also practice questions. They have a wide range of questions which helps the students in understanding the chapters and build their knowledge in various subjects.

What do you dislike?

It can get expensive for students which might become the reason why they won't opt for it at the first place. Also, as it is shadowed by Coursera so some people may opt out of it. Also, the courses are made by individuals rather than from Universities which might make students incline for it less.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best and free websites for online learning out there. Might also consider using coursera.

I use it at my mentor job to help a class of 100-15-0 students to learn to code and solve problems in different programming languages.

Codecademy review by Randi J.
Randi J.

"Useful for beginners to a degree"

What do you like best?

I like how all the courses have lessons and hands-on learning exercises so that you can use the knowledge you just learned. Personally, it helps me to be able to put the things I learn to practice and the program's on this site do just that.

What do you dislike?

I don't feel that the courses are intuitive at times which can cause me to spend more time than necessary to finish up a course lesson. It's usually in the hands-on instructional part of the course where I feel I spend more time re-reading the lesson trying to figure out what I did wrong to only ask the program to give me the answer finally so I can figure it out on my own.Though it doesn't occur often, it can be a very frustrating experience for someone that has no background on the course's topic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are coming from a background with zero experience in coding, then these programs could be beneficial to create an foundation to things such as HTML, CSS, or programming languages. However, if you already have a background for these things or looking to becoming an expert, I would suggest to find something else to continue your learning.

The courses that this site provides is helping with my knowledge gaps these areas as having knowledge and ability to use Python, Ruby, JavaScript, and the Command Line would assist me in some the digital aspects of my position.

User in Education Management

"I Really Love it - Learning how to code at my speed and with interactivity"

What do you like best?

The pacing is great, and the hints for each project are helpful without giving you the answer outright. Most of the projects are simple and teach the basics of the subject at hand very well.

What do you dislike?

My lack of motivation to return to finish things, I wish there might be some sort of reminder or gimmick to make me remember to come back before I forget everything I've learned.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It's very simple to grasp the interface and to pick up new concepts as you learn quickly. But you can always go back and review/redo everything. Plus you have code samples to use in the real world as you create and learn.

Keeping on top of learning new code and techniques, staying current and learning how to create new code and modify existing code on my websites.

Codecademy review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Amazing Software for Beginner Coders"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Codecademy is that it feels like a game. You stay entertained going through the levels and don't even realize that you are learning as you go along. Much better than a class or a textbook.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no feature to move past a level if you are stumped. There are also some issues with what the software accepts as a correct response and doesn't as there are more than one ways to accomplish something with code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you try it as there are really no downsides to creating a free account and giving it a shot. Chances are, you will pick up many of the basics in whichever language you would like to learn.

I have been brushing up on my SQL skills for work which helps me with my work as a consultant. Using SQL to interface with my client's databases helps me run data analytics at my client.

Codecademy review by rutva s.
rutva s.

"Best learning website for begginers"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to learn from codecademy. Very well structured courses and easy to go through courses. It has the best method to teach. Web development courses are really very good. All other course are also cover all basic concepts

What do you dislike?

It does not teach deep concepts from the topic only basic things are taught. Those who already know basic things about the subject, codecademy is not suitable for them. Some courses are expensive

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely good for those who wants to learn new subjects

For our projects we are learning new subjects from codecademy. It is very easy to learn here.

Codecademy review by User in Internet

"Slow but steady progression through various programming languages and applied lessons"

What do you like best?

The lessons are able to be completed at your own pace, allowing you to go back and review any area you didn't quite understand the first time. The course units are organized well and structured so that the learning curve is quick, but not so fast as to frustrate you or leave you behind. If you do find yourself frustrated, you can always use hints, or access the built-in course forums for help from community members. I know that Codecademy Pro users can also live chat with course admins, but I haven't upgraded yet nor needed that feature.

What do you dislike?

Some of the lessons have poorly worded instructions so that Codecademy implies there is only one correct solution when really there are multiple. I do wish they had a mobile app, as I would like to continue my lessons whenever I have a chance. I believe they used to have one, but they must have phased it out (who knows why).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in using Codecademy, I recommend that you do as I have and schedule time for yourself to go through each lesson without rushing. While it can be easy to fall off the path, it will be worth it in the long run to stay the course. If you are also unsure of where to start, you should upgrade to Codecademy Pro, as they will create custom lesson plans for you with capstone projects that will improve your learning experience.

In terms of business problems, I am bettering my understanding of certain programming languages so that I can

a) better communicate issues with our company's dev team when they arise and not sound ridiculous, and

b) eventually transition into a dev role from my current one.

I started the Ruby course about a month ago, while I have also taken part in the JavaScript course in the past. I usually set aside time for myself each morning and evening to proceed through the course, and I feel that I have definitely made inroads in my understanding of the language.

Codecademy review by Ryan W.
Ryan W.

"Great for teaching and learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript"

What do you like best?

I enjoy having the ability to setup classes. One of the things I use it for is to teach my kids how to code. Of course, in order to do this, you need to have some knowledge of web programming languages. It's easy to use and at 10 and 11, they're able to follow the prompts through each of the lessons.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a better way to keep track of students. I don't have any qualms about the actual lessons themselves. They're great. I would also like more detail of the progress of students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wish the "teaching" side of the site included more metrics and resources for students or at least allow teachers to interact with students on their problems.

As someone who already knows how to code, I found that this is a good foundation for those who do not. It doesn't really teach advanced leveled programming, but it is enough even to get people who have never coded anything in their life started.

Codecademy review by Fabio S.
Fabio S.

"Excellent online learning tool!!"

What do you like best?

I'd never seen anything like this. There's great stuff out there, like Lynda.com, for e-learning through videos (and some of those also contain practice files), but this is a real platform where you learn by doing.

I am a teacher and I perfectly know what I'm saying when I say that learning by doing is only second to learning by teaching (the most powerful learning technique).

Great chance for anybody who needs to learn something fast.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's not that easy to navigate the platform and some commands just need to be clicked twice. Apart from that, I'd say everything's working fine.

Maybe the on-screen options might be a bit clearer in terms of "where can I go from here?".

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd definitely recommend using Codecademy to people who need to learn how to use tools / programs quickly for personal growth or for professional necessities. The platform offers a nice variety of courses (they're also going to add more) and I imagine the offer is going to be satisfying for a majority of target users.

I'd love to be able to make websites myself so I'll definitely consider taking up that specific course: I think that paying for website builders is not fair :) I'm one of those who think that you don't need to buy things you can learn to do yourself! So this software will give you exactly this.

I started learning how to use the command line. Great thing :)

I think there's a nice variety of courses now but it still needs expanding (they're doing this, actually).

Codecademy review by Reme L.
Reme L.

"An excelent way to learn some specific coding skills"

What do you like best?

Best thing about Codecademy is they way you learn, unlike most other sites wear you can watch videos and maybe follow along with code snippets, Codecademy actually requires you to complete a small coding exercise at the end of each step, I personally believe that it great aids in the learning process

In addition to that, each chapter also has a small coding test, which progresses along with you, so in chapter 1 you would end with a small exercise to make sure you fully understood what was taught, and in chapter 2 is would be a larger exercise encompassing both ch1 and 2's learning.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike about Codecademy, the only thing I would be able to mention is that the selection of content is quite small, but often quality is much more important than quantity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend anyone wanting to learn something new try out Codecademy, if it offers the language you a looking for.

Codecademy has helped me to better understand some front-end languages I was learning, I have often recommended the angular course to angular beginners, of all the courses I had followed for angular specifically, I developed the greatest understanding and took away the most practical knowledge from the course I took at codecademy.

Codecademy review by Haince Denis P.
Haince Denis P.

"Codeacademy - Awesome learning platform"

What do you like best?

The short videos and tutorials are really helpful. They keep the user engaged and interested in the course. I took the python course and it was an amazing experience. It really helped my build my skills in the language and helped my research work with data cleaning process.

What do you dislike?

There is frankly nothing to dislike about the platform. Although I would ask the content creators to make courses a little challenging. The courses seem to be very easy and without quizzes. A challenging question at the end of every video would be really helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a worthwhile platform to learn new things quickly, from start. Helpful to novice and new programmers, and also people who have been in the industry for years. The coursework is smartly designed, Course structure is very engaging due to short tutorials and hands-on experience. Definitely a platform that I would recommend to my friends and colleagues for advancing their skills.

I was facing difficulty in data cleaning and learning python from Code academy helped me to expedite and advance my language skills and helped in completion of the project on time.

Codecademy review by Elias R.
Elias R.

"This Product Helped Me Solve a Security Issue for my Company"

What do you like best?

First off, this website is amazing. I love how easy it is to learn new programming languages. I was up to speed in HTML in under a week and a half - and I was surprised at how quickly I picked it up. The website has SO MANY programming languages to choose from. What I love most is the interface; it's extremely easy to code into their site.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of that I reasonably don't like about the site is that sometimes it's a little buggy or slow. It may just be a server issue, but sometimes it gets really slow and bogged down. Sometimes the answers aren't very clear either. But I still think it's amazing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot! It's completely free and there is no reason to not try it. I can't think of any better alternatives to this site. You have such a wide range of programming languages to learn from.

This website helped me find a serious security flaw in my company's main software driver. Through learning HTML on Codecademy, I started poking around in some of the webcode in our company's software (I won't name the software for legal reasons) and I found a serious security flaw (regarding user passwords) that could potentially have shut down our business for weeks and leak an enormous amount of sensitive user and vendor data. I am so thankful I stumbled upon this site, as it allowed me to save my company from a security standpoint.

Codecademy review by Aarav S.
Aarav S.

"Best website for learning"

What do you like best?

It is very good site for learning new concepts. Quizzes are good and reasonable. Course content covers all basic concepts of the subject. Teaching method is really good. Very much reliable site for learning

What do you dislike?

Subjects which are new and trending subjects are not available more. Depth study of subject should be provided. Notes are not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codecademy is useful for those who wants to learn new concepts

We use codecademy for learning new concepts for our projects. It is very easy to learn from here.

Codecademy review by Arda S.
Arda S.

"Great Courses for Beginners!"

What do you like best?

Codeacademy has amazing convincing interface in order to continue your specific course. It has various courses like web development ( php, html, css) and it even makes you an interactive web page with a single course which seems amazing for me! I have completed the php and javascript ( angular js also) courses and I finished at a single shot and I enjoyed a lot! It provides you instructions so you do not stuck like many hours in order to solve the part(s).

What do you dislike?

Like a year ago I guess, For example in PHP course Codeacademy offered the whole course free. I dont know what was their job model but this was great. But now, they offer just a first lesson in each unit and you need to upgrade in order to continue to that unit which is disappointing for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I did not pay anything in order to learn basics of javascript php and java but if you are willing to learn deep you can consider pay monthly that they offer real world projects quizzes etc. But I dont really think that these materials something you cant find in the web.

I have used codeacademy in order to strengthen my php and javascript skills. It is a great resource if you are willing to learn AngularJS because it has great instructions and you can learn the basics of it very well.

Codecademy review by Nabil F.
Nabil F.

"Clean and interactive learning"

What do you like best?

Codecademy offers a good variety of content, though it seems to be a bit more focused on web development. Every course is free, but a substantial amount of extra content is available to 'pro' users for a monthly fee. Considering how much content is available for no charge, this type of service seems completely reasonable to me. Users who want to go deeper with a subject can pay to have access to assisted projects and more content.

What do you dislike?

The way that Codecademy goes about teaching is a little off the mark for me personally. The concept of having an interactive text editor and console right their within the webpage is great, but the exercises can sometimes devolve into a copy-paste marathon. The courses do go a little into the detail of whatever topic they are about, but it is usually just the basics. I would often be doing something (that the directions tell me) but not know WHY I was doing it. This way of presenting concepts is not beneficial to truly learning the material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great for general introductions to new languages. I would highly recommend it to anyone starting with something new. Taking advantage of the pro subscription might be worth your time if you're interested in making starting some of your own projects!

Often, I have found myself presented with a problem in which I need to use a new programming language to solve it. Codecademy is always the first place I go to when introducing myself to a new language. I have become much more familiar with web development because of Codecademy, and it has greatly supplemented personal projects of mine and even just my curiosity.

Codecademy review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Fantastic way to begin coding!"

What do you like best?

I love so many things about this software, the variety of programming languages, the discussion boards, the interactivity, the web based program, and the cost. I have used this in the classroom for years in my Computer Science classes and will continue to do so!

What do you dislike?

I am a little bummed out that there are pay tiers, and also that there is not more of an explanation for some of the solutions, especially as it gets more difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try it out, great way to get started with coding, and you can't beat the price!

I have been implementing this in my classroom for three years now and it has allowed for individualization in a huge way. Kids can go at their own pace and work on their own level. They can also explore other interests.

Codecademy review by Shaorong Y.
Shaorong Y.

"Nice but too simply"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to get started. The course design is pretty step by step and easy to follow. I think it is very helpful for one who wants to take a first stab at some new language.

What do you dislike?

The exercise is toooooo easy.... And mostly one just need to copy and paste the example code and change a few names. Also the course are very basic. I guess that's what the website is designed for.

Prepare myself for learning new languages. I do some crowdsourcing with AWS and wanted to learn JS/CSS so that I don't rely on revising other people's code. And I also used it to learn SQL because I'm interested in Data Science jobs.

Codecademy review by Taylor M.
Taylor M.

"Beginner to fluent"

What do you like best?

Great way to learn the basics of coding and the opportunity to really dive down deep into topics. Easy way to pick up on new careers.

What do you dislike?

It can be too easy at times and as if they are holding your hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great way to learn the basics and if you want to go further, A good way to sign up for a bootcamp.

learning how to code

Codecademy review by Giacomo S.
Giacomo S.

"This is where I started, absolutely from zero, and after 2/3 years here I am, working as a pro"

What do you like best?

Free and easy to follow, at your own pace, it is right now the best place to start if you are a complete beginner, like I was.

CodeCademy shows you the ABC of coding in an easy, interactive and competent way, not going too deep to scare away newbies, not too shallow to have them learn things in the wrong way.

Last but not least, there is a growing community and you can encounter very skilled, dedicated and generous individual to take as mentors or, why not, as friends :)

What do you dislike?

A bit too spoon-fed in some parts, it might give users a false sense of excessive confidence in some trickier parts.

This is in part mitigated once you start doing more serious stuff (like working on the APIs track) or you encounter some decent challenge (the "Practice makes perfect" part in the Python track has been for long my favourite part of the whole CodeCademy experience).

Recommendations to others considering the product

An excellent start to become a coder, particularly if you aim to be a web dev, but it opens doors to many other job opportunities (you can for example complete the Python track and have a good grasp of this language to start your journey into the marvellous field of bioinformatics).

I trained myself with the basic and got a better job, starting to work as a developer.

Also, if I might say so myself, it allowed me to grow enough muscles to face much more expert and proficient coders, ultimately allowing me to land a good position as a CodeWars top ranker.

Codecademy review by Alonso P.
Alonso P.

"A Excellent way to start Programming "

What do you like best?

This page show you how to learn about language programming with exercises that motivate you to continue on it. If you want to learn about Web development, here you have so many languages to watch and to understand how could you work in the future.

What do you dislike?

Something about I don't like is a several exercises don't respond as they should do. In that cases you have to recode the code you typed on the screen. Also this problem still appearing in other language, in my case I get in Codecademy in Spanish and sometimes I have to put the code like if I were on the page but in english.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get stressful if you don't know how do an exercise, check the forum that the same page has it, it will help you a lot

Here I learned the basic things on Python, Javascript and PHP. These Languages are usually used on web development

Codecademy review by Adriana L.
Adriana L.

"Great learning center"

What do you like best?

I like the way intructors teach things, it has serveral courses dedicated to teach a wide range of new tech, while your learn and complete activities you earn badges that motivate you to keep going, the webpage is beautiful and quality of videos is great, they support all students knowledge level so it's great for beginners and more advanced as well.

What do you dislike?

It should have more specialized courses and support more speaking languages or at least more captions in videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should start here if you don't have any knowledge in particular and then buy some book to master the topic.

Learning to program, it's easy to understand and follow and probably one of best ways to start to learn.

Codecademy review by Maciej W.
Maciej W.

"Great community, not so great content."

What do you like best?

Codecademy community is awesome. Helpful, knowledgeable and, what is the most important, active moderators are a great advantage of codecademy. They are not only eager to help other users, they are also interested in picking those few active guys and turning them into great teachers. I also like the new forum, it's a great place, it was worth waiting for months :)

What do you dislike?

Codecademy does not care too much about the quality of content. This is best visible in educational resources - quizzes. These materials are meant to be used in classrooms, yet they are full of misleading information (for example first-letter is a pseudo-element, not pseudo-class and should be preceded by two colons, the order of values in the shorthand border is not important etc...). Another concern is the lack of consistency with the official style guides. For example, codecademy teaches that users can use syntax ``` comment ``` in Python to make a block comment. This is not true. This syntax is used to specify a doc string, if you place this text, not as a first statement of the module, function, class or method definition it will be ignored and treated as a comment. But, teaching beginners that this is a syntax for block comment without explanation what is a doc string is just misleading, dangerous and far away from good teaching practices. I don't also like the way codecademy is dealing with the bugs. It takes them months to fix the bug even if a moderator posted ready to use patch. For few weeks I see many users with the specific problem - they are viewing the site in the foreign language and they can't change this language in the select box in the footer. It simply is not working, they have to change it inside account settings. it would be so simple to just remove this misleading input box from the footer, but obviously, codecademy staff does not have time for that. Code prepared by codecademy content team in the Make a Website Project is not consistent with good coding practices (mixing shorthand properties with specific properties, wrong values in media queries). Teaching is a great responsibility, they should care more about content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you think seriously about starting a programming career - buy a good book. Codecademy is best suitable if you want to scratch basics, you can learn how to write code, not how to program.

If you have never seen a code and you want to explore this great field - codecademy might be the best starting point.

The main benefit for me is that I have met wonderful people at codecademy and they helped me find my way of life. Now I know that in some way I will be a teacher. Thanks to the users and their problems I developed a quick debugging process, so codecademy also had a positive impact on my programming, refactoring and debugging skills.

Codecademy review by Brian N.
Brian N.

"To learn the basics of code begin here"

What do you like best?

Like the large number of languages offered. I have dabbled over the years in programming but Codecademy has helped me develop a better understand of languages that seemed out of reach. While does not cover all possible aspects of coding it does help you get your feet wet and to develop the basics to dig deeper.

The community is great and people really want to help each other learn the skills they are studying.

I am also excited that they are now offering Git, I have been playing around with that by myself, this has helped me gain better insight on how to use.

What do you dislike?

I would like to go a bit deeper on the site, that is my one complaint. At times just content does not go as deep enough. But guess given it is free that is really not much. You can now pay for more insight so this does off set the lack of depth, but if you are short on the money may not work for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Suggest that you choose a language go through the course work. Ask lots of questions and read the discussion fora, a lot of answers are there for you. I suggest that you even do the lessons more than once, since you can reset the content back really helps it to stick in your mind.

This is a good place to get people to understand the basics of code. From some perspective this could help you find people in your company that would like to go deeper. As a means of talent development this is a good place to start.

Codecademy review by Ezequiel F.
Ezequiel F.

"Awesome and useful"

What do you like best?

I like that it is a place where you can learn to program for free. It lets you learn the program languages that you need to start developing, and also gives you some projects to work with, so you can practice what you had learnt.

What do you dislike?

While there is a lot of things that I like about them, the things that I dislike are that they only have a little amount of programming languages that you can learn. Also, it has some problems and lag with the languages that have to request to the server, like PHP and Python, it makes the learning a little slow and tedious, but they have a lot of content to compensate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally recommend, it is a very powerful tool and introduces you to the programming world. Also you can develop projects to show your progress and learn while you practice.

It's a wonderful tool when you start to program or when you want to learn new programming languages. It teaches you the basics things so you can have a first look of what it is. Then, while you pass the lessons, you can learn more deeply and advanced

Codecademy review by Gabriel F.
Gabriel F.

"An amazing platform to anyone who wants to learn how to code."

What do you like best?

I like Codecademy's simplicity and ease to use. On one hand, If you know exactly what you're looking for, it will be very easy to get to it. On the other hand, even if you are new to the programming world and don't know where to start, Codecademy's interface helps you to find a programming language that fits your needs and objectives.

Every time I need to learn a new programming language, I resort to Codecademy to learn all its basics and features.

What do you dislike?

Some classes, like the PHP class, often lose their connection to the website, which causes the code checking functions to fail. This is rather annoying since it will not run your code correctly and say it's wrong, even though you have tested it beforehand, making you refresh the page over and over until it runs correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend having a good internet connection when using Codecademy to avoid having problems with its code checking functions.

Sometimes I find myself in need of learning a new programming language that more easily deals with problems I'm solving in my workplace. Codecademy helps me to become more familiar with the basics of said language, greatly reducing the time it takes to learn it.

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"Great start to learn coding"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that it's interactive. It starts with the basics and guides you through and tests you along the way. I am really enjoying it.

What do you dislike?

I find that the text is quite dry. I feel like they could add some humour into the descriptions to make it a bit more engaging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can learn for free on the website, which is great to start learning.

When I am having issues with a webpage or an email I can go into the coding and tidy it up, which has helped me solve the basic problems I've come across without having to ask for help.

Codecademy review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"A fantastic tool for learning!"

What do you like best?

I used this site to learn Python and one of the best features was having the lesson, code panel and output window all in parallel. Being able to see everything at once really helped you identify what was required in each step.

What do you dislike?

Initially the only thing I didn’t like was that some of the exercises were behind a paywall and only available to pro members. That said, they are super useful and codeacademy is well worth the money!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get pro - it’s well worth it!

Upskilling some of the members in the team so we can share some of the work in a few different areas.

Codecademy review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"Great tutorials - very organized and useful"

What do you like best?

I like how small the lessons are so you can easily digest and implement the information you have just learned. I love how interactive the program is so you can really check to see if you are understanding what you just learned.

What do you dislike?

There's really no downside that I have encountered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product if you want to expand your knowledge of coding. It is easy to use and you can use it whenever you have time instead of programs that make you feel like you need to commit hours upon hours to learning something.

I have definitely expanded my code knowledge and it's beneficial if you are in that type of industry.

Codecademy review by José Luis M.
José Luis M.

"Great site and method to learn how to code."

What do you like best?

Codecademy has courses created with simplicity in mind, but this courses are very effective helping people learn to code in many different languages such as Python, Ruby, Java, Javascript and more.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. Free, effective, guided learning, well explained. I really don't have a bad thing to say about Codecademy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead, create an account and start learning. As easy as that. No monthly fees, no pressure or deadlines.

Codecademy's method of learning is very good for absolute beginners and also for experienced programmers who want to learn a new language.

I needed a simple website and I could not afford to hire a programmer, so I took the HTML, Make a Wabsite and Python courses and I was able to create my own site.

Codecademy review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Great Intro to Coding"

What do you like best?

Codecademy serves as a great introduction to coding to anyone who is starting from zero. I like the hands-on tutorials, the availability of different markup and programming languages, and engagement in mini-projects like building static and interactive websites. It promotes this accessibility for free. However, the better value is Codecademy Pro, which provides several hands-on in depth projects, with the support of mentors who chat and code review with you one-on-one. This is the absolute best value of their Pro level versus basic free level.

What do you dislike?

For those seeking to make a switch to the tech industry, Codecademy might serve as more of entryway than a "path to hire." As with any new discipline someone's learning, foundation is important, but must also be complimented and developed into more depth and robustness. One the disadvantages of Codecademy versus its competitor Treehouse is its lack of audiovisual tutorials. But the one on one mentoring chat in the Pro feature often makes up for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great way to start to learn web development, especially if you're a business owner or future business owner who wants to develop their own web presence independently. That said, it will require months of investment if you're serious about developing coding as a secondary skill to your business.

I am trying to teach myself to code my own website for a future business I plan on opening versus outsourcing to others.

Codecademy review by Nirmohi D.
Nirmohi D.

"Recommended for beginners"

What do you like best?

Really great for beginners. The content is basic and simple, the interface isn't too buggy - so the introduction to a language becomes pretty smooth for the user - not too much getting stuck and getting frustrated over a weird bug. They are adding new content constantly as well

What do you dislike?

I have never been a member of Codecademy pro, but the free version is pretty good for only the basics. The content is on a very beginner level , so maybe some more depth would be good. I moved to more comprehensive courses after finishing the courses on Codecademy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a great starting point for anyone learning to code.

When i started using codacademy, i hadn't written too much code. Codecademy took me through the 'handholding' phase of the process.

"Simplest learning ever"

What do you like best?

You do not need to set up the environment. You can just go ahead and start coding. You do not need to listen to lectures or something. Just do excercises and learn

What do you dislike?

There should be some way to teach you to setup the environment on your computer later. Like when I am done with a course, I have to go to other sites to find how to install something on my computer.

I use it to learn new skills. Its really easy to start with. The excercises are some pratically thought out examples.

Codecademy review by Youri N.
Youri N.

"Where I learned AngukarJS"

What do you like best?

This site was absolutely amazing to learn angularJS, it kickstrated it for me. It allowed me to get an in depth understanding of AngularJS and Jquery in a matter of days. My favorite thing about this site is that you are coding while learning, not jsut reading some boring material, it is very hands on.

The slick design and UI makes it that much more enjoyable to spend time on it.

What do you dislike?

The content is limited and I wish they had more intricate courses on AngularJS, maybe intermediate and advanced levels

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazing website, pleasant and makes you want to learn and discover new things, A must if you want to get into programming and do no know much about it.

I learned AngularJS on their site and now use it on a daily basis for work, programming an app onto SalesForce for our business needs.

Codecademy review by User in Internet

"Learn to code with Code Academy"

What do you like best?

I am an avid user of Khan Academy and I have found that Code Academy is similar to Khan. I really like the self-paced instruction and the step-by-step progression in learning how to code.

What do you dislike?

With my limited knowledge of how to code I sometimes find it frustrating and time-consuming to remember all the steps to engage productivity and efficiency with the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using the program takes time and patience.

I am currently transitioning into a tech-support role for my company and I am using Code Academy to expand my knowledge of different computer programming platforms.

Codecademy review by Paty G.
Paty G.

"Excelente lugar para comenzar tu camino hacia el desarrollo"

What do you like best?

Es un sitio super amigable y dinamico que ha convertido las aburridas clases de programacion y algoritmos en algo mucho mas placentero, facil de entender y practicar a tu propio ritmo, posee cursos gratis y pagos con muchas horas de videos conformadas por lesiones sencillas y enfocadas a llevarte desde no saber nada a ser capaz de construir aplicaciones bien estructuradas y diseñadas.

What do you dislike?

Usar el servicio de forma gratuita deja mucho que desear, normalmente te limitan demasiado las clases y no te dejan avanzar mucho hasta que pagues, cuesta algo de dinero y por ahora posee solo algunos cursos y lenguajes de programacion en especifico, tiene muy poco soporte para otros lenguajes de habla como el español.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si estas empezando en el mundo del desarrollo este puede ser el lugar correcto para comenzar a aprender, es facil de entender y puede ayudarte a sobrepasar esas barreras dificiles del desarrollo a tu propio paso con el que te sientas comodo.

Aprendizaje de desarrollo en general, tiene una excelente interfaz de usuario, puedes chequear tu nivel de habilidades y recordar cada vez que quieras un topico en especifico.

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"An essential reference for millennial amateur coding."

What do you like best?

I appreciate the step-by-step interaction with the platform. I entered the tool having some fundamental knowledge in programming, but the program assumes a complete lack in foundation in programming principles. I appreciate the dynamic and interactive display of the product of one's code as the source code is dynamically manipulated by the user.

What do you dislike?

I wish that, entering the product with some knowledge, there was the option to elect out of certain lessons of a given programming language if you had some fundamental knowledge entering the courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An easy reference tool to sharpen one's skills, especially as programming knowledge is becoming increasingly valued in the workplace. Very easy to start a lesson, and pick back up where you left off months later.

This tool is used as a basic instruction mechanism for introductory computer science principles. I use these principles in the manipulation and processing of my data as a research scientist.

Codecademy review by Anastasia G.
Anastasia G.

"Internet's best resource—free or paid—for learning code"

What do you like best?

I am a huge fan of Codecademy. The tool makes learning code as straightforward as possible, and provides a guided learning experience similar to what you could expect from the best tutor or instructor.

What do you dislike?

Codecademy lacks courses on languages like R and MATLAB, as well as advanced applications of languages like Python, Ruby, and the like. However, their library of courses is growing, and it's hard to fault them for emphasizing quality over quantity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's completely free and onboarding is easy—just give it a try, and decide from there!

Learning and teaching code can be tough in a business setting, but free online resources can be a great way of minimizing costs, and ensuring folks can learn new skills at their own pace and time.

Codecademy review by Luciana T.
Luciana T.

"Simple, Fun, Effective!"

What do you like best?

So simple to use and very fun! Coding can be boring but with this free program it's easy to learn with. It's pretty simple to follow and anyone can do it.

What do you dislike?

In order to get some additional features you have to upgrade to the Pro version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great, easy to use program.

Learning HTML to build a website. It's important to know even basic coding so you can fix issues on your website yourself, in turn, saving you money.

Codecademy review by Ryan B.
Ryan B.

"great tool for learning, but not always teaches best practices"

What do you like best?

I like the format of the wizard-style teaching with opportunities to write working examples.

What do you dislike?

My wife has been using it, and I have been mentoring or helping explain things. I have noticed that even though they show neccessary & rudimentary things, they don't explain that later on you will learn better ways to do things. For example, teaching how to write inline css is an important skill to know, but my wife has been investing far too much energy into retaining it, when really once she gets to more advanced lessons, she will learn it is commonly not the best practice aside from a few different exceptions. Nor do they mention writing clean, stylized code. it is typically very crude.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the lessons learned with a grain of salt, and consider them contrived learning exercises only and not real world applicable skills.

Getting developers up to speed with certain skills they are weak with. Simple introductions to concepts or skills are helpful, but i feel like it takes the oversight of an experienced developer to explain the "why", and to clarify use cases.

Codecademy review by Mathias F.
Mathias F.

"Great site for learning new skills"

What do you like best?

If you are looking for a good site for learning to code, this is a great option. There are many courses and the way they are presented is very dynamic and fun. And, most importantly, it's free.

What do you dislike?

It's not as good as Code School. But I choose it because it's free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can pay it, use Code School. If you don't, Codecademy is a great option.

I need to keep up to date with new technologies and languages, so this is a great tool for me. I learn new languages (or at least have a look at them) in a day, without needing to read a long and boring book.

Codecademy review by Mary G.
Mary G.

"Great learning resource"

What do you like best?

Specialized content, easy to understand, beautiful webpage, it has great instructors, you can learn at your own pace, it has multiple courses for all audiences types, easy for students without previous knowledge, it gives you a great feedback, it has different assignments and exercises to practice.

What do you dislike?

it has a few courses and programming languages, it has bad language support, free courses are incomplete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are starting to learn programming languages this is a great started place.

Learning programmin languages, it's an excellent resource to start learning new tech and languages at your own pace.

Codecademy review by Chris G.
Chris G.

"Great Learning Resource - Codecademy"

What do you like best?

My favourite part of Codecademy is the forums which are powered by Discourse. The CC forums provide help from coders to coders and there is a really nice community there.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I don't like about Codecademy. It's awesome!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Codecademy is a great resource for learning to code. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone considering a career involving coding of any kind.

I haven't solved any business problems as I am still in school, but I have realized what I want to do when I leave which is become a front-end web developer. I am currently training myself on the HTML make a website courses. I have finished the main HTML & CSS course already.

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"SO helpful for learning code in a quick amount of time"

What do you like best?

I found Codecademy to be so helpful for learning code in a quick amount of time. When I began at my current job, I had very little coding experience and the tutorials helped me get up to speed in a quick amount of time.

What do you dislike?

There was not anything that I disliked about Codecademy in the time that I used it.

The business benefits were that I was able to do my job in an effective way once I learned how to code!

Codecademy review by Nikhil S.
Nikhil S.

"learning to code can not be more convenient!"

What do you like best?

i started learning SQL on Codecademy few months back and the experience has been great. THE whole Ui, with the instructions on one side and the SQL software in the middle where you can practice side by side is very engaging. It enables you to track your understanding on the spot and doesnt allow you to go further until you have gotten the previous command correctly.

What do you dislike?

no projects on there site to practice further.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you want to learn how to code effectively, go nowhere else.

learning SQL for my exams and learning it well!

Codecademy review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"An easy way to pick up a new language, but beginners might get lost"

What do you like best?

There are genuinely helpful free lessons on pertinent subjects like Ruby and Java.

The platform gives you the chance to write code while learning concepts.

Courses are very streamlined, and when you begin one, you can be confident you'll have a solid foundation of that language.

What do you dislike?

Some of the lessons feel like they're too slow or have redundant sections. It's frustrating to know how to program in one or more languages, and still have to wade through explanations of what a variable is in other courses.

There's not really any challenge to writing the code needed to move to the next section. It's pretty much copying. The learning value of following along is still significant, but this method doesn't teach you to solve problems. Thus, it's really better for learning new languages instead of learning programming.

I can't tell how much the "Pro" version costs. The site says $20/month, but I've looked around and have seen some say that is the introductory price and it goes as high as $60/month. Some have said it's $10/month. That's deterred me from actually getting the subscription, not being able to tell if they'll jack up the prices after a few months.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try and figure out how much the real cost of the pro subscription is before signing up.

I've learned Ruby and jQuery. I'm experienced in Java and Python, so I just needed a streamlined way to pick up these other languages. This has worked to make the basics more ingrained, as compared to something like learn-x-in-y-minutes. I'm comfortable programming in both new languages now.

Codecademy review by Jake E.
Jake E.

"Amazing resource for getting started"

What do you like best?

They show you multiple real-world examples of the code they are trying to teach you. I believe their HTML lesson had me create the Air BNB website, which showed me what current web devs are doing.

What do you dislike?

They don't teach with the depth that I would like (meaning that they only teach you how to do something rather than make sure you understand it), but I can't ask a lot for a free service that offers such a broad range of beginner lessons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to anyone that is starting out in a new language. Codecademy really helps me get the footing I need to get going.

Whenever I start learning a new language, I go through the exercises on codecademy. It always gives me a good footing to start from.

Codecademy review by Cory J.
Cory J.

"I have used Codecademy to learn new languages "

What do you like best?

I like that it is an amazing free service. After the short lesson CSS and HTML I was able to create a website for my small business. I have taken many courses on Codecademy and every single one has been easy to use and very informative. Also the instructions and open source in case you get stuck is another really cool feature.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I could even think to dislike is the lack of depth on the topics they do a great job with an overview but if you want to really drill down into a language I do not think this is your best tool. For a summary and quick learning it is an amazing tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a free tool that can really help you grasp the basics of a language quickly this is a great product.

I have solved not being able to code in certain languages and have developed my skills in that area.

Codecademy review by User in Design
User in Design

"Great for practicing how to write code."

What do you like best?

I like best that you can write your code in the browsers and it's tested to see if you've written it correct.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when doing the JavaScript module it asks you to be very specific, so even it was correct but written a different way I couldn't get through to the next level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for practicing your code, HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Can be a little pedantic with the correct answers for JavaScript, so can get stuck on levels for a bit.

Up skilling my web development skills, getting students to practice their JavaScript in our web bootcamp course.

Codecademy review by Danny R.
Danny R.

"Codecademy has been incredibly helpful"

What do you like best?

The really intuitive lesson layout and how easy the product is to use are real standouts. While my coding background is very limited (read: basically nonexistent), I'm able to jump right into different programming languages and get a rich understanding of how they work.

What do you dislike?

The forums are a little bit of a mess. Implementing some videos in the mold of services like Khan Academy would be more useful than rummaging through forums and user-submitted questions.

I'm looking to gain a better understanding of different programming languages as I try to position myself for a Product Management role. Being able to mess around with code in a low-risk, low-rent environment has gone a long way towards helping achieve the understanding I'm looking for without being so overwhelming to be intimidating.

Codecademy review by User

"Great tools for basic coding"

What do you like best?

It is free for the most part unless you upgrade to the pro which does require a fee

What do you dislike?

In order to fully maximize the benefits and programs offered in codeacademy, you have to upgrade and pay a pretty expensive price that most college students can't afford to dish out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program for beginners trying to learn how to code

Codeacademy helped everyone especially me to become more data-driven and understand data in a clearer picture.

Codecademy review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"An amazing interactive platform to start coding"

What do you like best?

It's interactivity, the learning material is well-phrased and concise, the tasks are educational, its gamification system is quite good. What I really liked nowadays, is that I saw it became more organised and consolidated. Bravo!

What do you dislike?

For a deep undestanding and deep skills in coding, it's simply unsufficient (although I didn't try the pro version, yet, maybe it's more helpful). The tasks are sometimes either way too easy, or not that understandable - but after you figure it out, they're still easy-to-solve.

I wanted to start coding and acquiring a basic knowledge about it - and in this purpose it certainly helped. Unfortunately, I couldn't solve any specific business problems, yet.

Codecademy review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Incredibly great for beginners!"

What do you like best?

I would suggest codeacademy for pure beginner coders! It is incredibly teaches the basics of coding principles. It also makes you to do small projects about your topic in order to enhance your skills. For intermediate-professional coders it is nice to refresh your knowledge about your programming language or you can easily adapt for another programming language by taking another languages because codeacademy knows how to let you stay in that site and continue to press next chapter!

What do you dislike?

I think that codeAcademy should improve themselves with intermediate and professional courses in order to win the professional coders. Before they have changed their pricing and business model, it was much more better for beginner people actually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For beginners it is great source of learning coding. But if you are intermediate or professional I think that you can not improve yourself as faster than as like beginners. I think that codeacademy is focused on beginners and people who want to refresh his/her knowledge about specific programming languages.

I have learned AngularJS basics in that site it gave me great basic idea of AngularJS. Also I have refreshed my PHP language by taking free php language course which is a great benefit for coders like me.

Codecademy review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="b38ace4b-18fe-454d-b2c6-e12ce8d11433">Alyssa M.</span>
Alyssa M.
" itemprop="name" />

"Great for getting the basics and they just keep improving!"

What do you like best?

It's really great for nailing the basics of a lot of languages (and other tools now!) and helpful for learning syntax if you're trying to jump into something new.

What do you dislike?

Some exercises would get repetitive, but it does help to learn and absorb the material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's really great, I don't see any reason to not use it.

This was great when I was just beginning to learn to code and it's been great for learning new technologies throughout my career.

"great place to start"

What do you like best?

the courses offered are great for a complete beginners who would like to get some into to the subject.

What do you dislike?

there are not many subjects covered and different complexity level could be added

Recommendations to others considering the product

provides a jump start to a new technology . highly recommend it as a starting place

Free ( or very cheap) courses to teach the staff minimum skills required for some day to day work

Codecademy review by Nick T.
Nick T.

"Answers to a review from an EE Masters student "

What do you like best?

PYTHON TRAINING!!! It is fantastic to have a web interface to learn syntax in!

What do you dislike?

Lack of assembly or C. As an electrical engineer or an embedded engineer I think having RTOS type support would also be fantastic....

Learning for students that might not be able to take a course in higher education over a certain language.

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"Ease in Learning Computer Coding"

What do you like best?

The modules are really well designed and provide assistance at every step

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have a code that doesn't work, and the site only issues an error code without explaining what was wrong

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a great way to ease into coding, this is a great resource! Probably too basic for people with more extensive coding experience, however.

Learning how to code!

"CodeAcademy Review"

What do you like best?

I like that you can easily learn how to code from your computer at your own house. They have different courses to learn different objectives.

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses can be kind of dry and the upgrades can be a bit pricey if you are only trying to learn for fun and not for a job.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that you decide what level you will use this product at. If you are just learning on your own for fun, it may not be worth it to buy the full version.

I am able to learn and keep up with coding skills online.

"Free and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Codeacademy is free for the most part and everyone at the company found it very useful. I was able to learn HTML by completing their basic HTML course.

What do you dislike?

There are some things that needs to be upgraded to use. It can be a little expensive

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent place to start, especially to those that never had a coding background.

Benefits are employees can learn to code

Codecademy review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"A great place to start"

What do you like best?

Friendly UI, badges that keep you motivated, you can learn without any previous knowledge, easy to follow and understand, great videos quality and teachers.

What do you dislike?

It has a few courses and current courses needs more content, it doesn't have a full language support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great place to start learning programming, it's easy to understand and it's well structured.

Learning new technologies.

Codecademy review by Agency in Education Management
Agency in Education Management

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

CodeAcademy is very user friendly. It does not assume anything and breaks everything down step by step. I love that you can learn anything from scratch.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It's my favorite learning website.

When I don't have a developer available, CodeAcademy has helped me grasp the basics of coding to do some amateur trouble shooting and edits. That has helped me save a lot of time.

Codecademy review by Jacob A.
Jacob A.

"Great experieces with Codecademy"

What do you like best?

I love the community which is strongly structured around the idea of building new foundations of knowledge.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike but if I had to choose one thing it might be the upkeep of course content.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go. It's free and it certainly can't hurt but can only supplement your education and experience.

I have been able to enlist into the US army as a geospatial energy which, without Codecademy, would not have been possible.

Codecademy review by User in Internet

"Place to learn how to code"

What do you like best?

I like how this site breaks up specific types of code in different categories. If you wanna brush up or learn HTML thats in 1 place, if you want to brush up or learn java thats also in 1 separate place. Their catalog is huge! I can literally spend hours on this site. You can also "demo" your work to see it live.

What do you dislike?

there is not much that i dislike about this. Its a place where you learn and i believe they broken it out really good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

take your time and really feel the site out. there is a lot in the beginning but it is all great information.

I am bettering myself and my coding abilities. This will make me a better and more valuable candidate for some jobs.

Codecademy review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Codeacademy REview"

What do you like best?

Very easy to get into, Its an alright gateway.

What do you dislike?

I think there is too much hand holding, when I actually started programming I felt like i didnt know anything, just felt like useless memorization exercises to me that i eventually forgot about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think they should definitely find other outlets to supplement their learning, codeacademy just seems like a stepping stone onto real ways to learn whatever technology you decide to specialize in

I was trying to be a self taught programmer, I think code academy makes it very easy to start, and gives a slight fake sense of confidence to start tackling on real learning.

Codecademy review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great place to start for beginners or to brush up on skills for more advanced"

What do you like best?

I love how the courses are broken down into smaller bites that build on each lesson.

What do you dislike?

I feel like there could be better processes when a learner is stuck or would like help.

It has helped me have a better understanding of how websites are designed and how my ads placed on them will interact.

Codecademy review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Excellent learning opportunities"

What do you like best?

Vast ever-expanding library of code tutorials that are extremely helpful and engaging

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything I do not like

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out. You can access much of the content for free. I can and have recommended this to my colleagues.

Learning new coding skills, participating in engaging lessons

Codecademy review by Juan Ignacio C.
Juan Ignacio C.

"Easy Learn "

What do you like best?

I like how codecademy introduce you into the programming world offering a lot of different languages lectures.

What do you dislike?

I use to hate how sometimes it breaks down and my code disappear but it never happens now

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's really useful to star learning about programming and code.

I'm just learning to code in different languages to develop some of mine personal projects

"Code Academy Review"

What do you like best?

Code Academy has a great line up programming languages to learn from. They make it very easy to use and provides me the ability to take the courses on my own time whenever I want. A majority of the courses I've taken on code academy are very easy to use and they take you step by step in teaching all of the idiosyncrasies of the language you are learning. I've learned Python and R via code academy and could not be happier with how it turned out. They make it actually fun to learn and easy to comprehend compared to reading books and learning that route.

What do you dislike?

I wish they included more known DB languages as part of their courses such as SQL. I think that their courses could speed up a little more. Sometimes it can be tedious and redundant. They could possibly offer even more advanced courses for the current programming languages that they do have lined up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are trying to learn DB languages than this is not the site for you, but if you would like to learn more of the current trend languages such as R, Python, Ruby this is the site that will teach you the basics and a little of the advance stuff quick.

I'm solving the need to stay up to date with my engineering and technological skills.

Codecademy review by User in Computer Hardware
User in Computer Hardware

"Great content and immersive format, but has had hiccups."

What do you like best?

I love the simple design and flow of Codecademy. It's easy to get through a full course without feeling distracted or confused.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Codecademy crashes when compiling (Chrome, adequate RAM, stable internet). I also get stuck sometimes when wording or hints are not clear enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It's great.

Codecademy helps me gain a basic understanding of concepts to get started in independent learning. It also helps me evaluate how I can help coworkers with their work within my company.

Codecademy review by David F.
David F.

"Needed to know simple HTML"

What do you like best?

The simple step by step instructions in a game-like environment

What do you dislike?

The explanations if you do not get your answer right on your first try

Helping our network team to get my images to display properly on their pages

Codecademy review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Free platform to learn how to code with right guidance"

What do you like best?

Their inbuilt online compilers and IDE's environment look great!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that they have a special paid version for some of their courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out their web development section. That's pretty good.

Skill development, Enhancement, free education

Codecademy review by Jung Eun K.
Jung Eun K.

"Codecademy"

What do you like best?

Easy to follow along; interactive projects

What do you dislike?

No one on one mentorship; limited course offerings (wish there were more Java and Python courses)

General improvement in coding knowledge

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"You'll get bated. It's expensive, and, honestly, not clear"

What do you like best?

It's great that there is some sort of platform developed in which people might learn to code

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, this product is too heavily gated. There is not enough freely available to guarantee that the learning experience is a good one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look around. See if you can get some sort of coupon for CodeAcademy

I was using it to solve the problem of not knowing much code. I have not really realized benefits from it.

"Codecademy Review"

What do you like best?

It is simple, easy to understand tutorial. Let's you do hands-on exercises.

What do you dislike?

Too easy courses, no advanced techniques.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider adding complicated courses and forum-like FAQs. :)

It helps me train new hires with no experience.

Codecademy review by User in Internet

"Great tool for learning to code"

What do you like best?

I enjoyed the ease of use. Codecademy does a great job of balancing difficult learning material like coding, and making it seem almost too easy to learn.

The interface is also really flashy, and almost feels like you're playing a game at some points.

I also enjoyed Codecademy's html/css website design feature. They show you a site, and then teach you the tools to recreate the site. This is really helpful for visual learnings.

What do you dislike?

There is not too much to dislike. Sometimes I feel like the site is coddling me too much, by holding my hand through lessons

I was attempting to teach myself HTML/CSS and Ruby on Rails

Codecademy review by Kaustubh V.
Kaustubh V.

"Nice website which engage students in courses they are pursuing. "

What do you like best?

Great user interface. It also provides challenges at every level. The slides for the courses are easy to understand and the quizzes at every step contain questions from those slides.

What do you dislike?

They should have made the mobile app more interesting.

Learning new technologies. Engaging myself by creating hobby projects after learning these new technologies.

Codecademy review by Christopher R.
Christopher R.

"Platform for programming and PC skills learning"

What do you like best?

Step by step instructions, price point, ability go retake courses.

What do you dislike?

Features that were originally free are now paid.

Relearning command structure (linux).

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"Learning code is not easy - but this company makes it as easy as possible!"

What do you like best?

Friendly staff - I did a lot of research when looking for classes and Codecademy was by far the best staff.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! Great place to go when wanting to learn code.

I was able to code more myself rather than have to pay others to do so.

Codecademy review by User in Higher Education

"Great for learning new skills"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, good classes, review modules, in-course assignments, seeing correct answers

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the pacing doesn't feel right to me, not the most aesthetically pleasing interface (but otherwise functional)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would recommend!

Great for picking up new coding skills, easy to practice little by little

Codecademy review by User in Internet

"Great For Basics, too easy for learning"

What do you like best?

Codecademy makes it very simple to learn very simple code. The lessons are easy and they really hold your hand when going through each lesson

What do you dislike?

It's too easy for you to really learn and retain anything. Very basic and surface level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be ready to put in a lot of time here. Make notes, it's often difficult to go back and relearn lessons with ease.

Just learning to code.

"Beginner coder"

What do you like best?

I like the step by step instructions and the detail in every training

What do you dislike?

There isn't enough descriptive videos to learn coding

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It helps anyone from beginner to novice

I'm learning basic html5 and css for my job

Learning about Codecademy?

* We monitor all Codecademy reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.