CodeLite

3.9

CodeLite is an open source, free, cross platform IDE for the C/C++ and PHP programming languages which runs best on all major Platforms (OSX, Windows and Linux)

Work for CodeLite?

Learning about CodeLite?

CodeLite Reviews

Showing 16 CodeLite reviews
CodeLite review by Justine V.
Justine V.

"Use Codelite"

What do you like best?

Codelite provide various code completions engines so that developers can get things done fast. The best part is that theres a free trial and an even better part is that when the free trial is over, Codelite is still free!

What do you dislike?

Theres not much i dont like about this software. It is very convenient. Users can review a list of currently-running threads and switch between them using just a few clicks by using the program’s Threads view.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! It is free so you have nothing to lose. Many other products like CodeLite are very expensive and not nearly like. My recommendation would be for users to try it. Some features i like using are Clang Based Code Completion Engine, JavaScript Code Completion, PHP Code Completion, Word Completion (based on open editors), Git, Svn plugins, Database Explorer, Valgrind Support and of course spell checker! Overall, Codelite wants to help you personalize so as a developer you are not seeing the same generic stuff, but things that are useful to you! Again try this program!

CodeLite users can create and debug applications with the program’s XDebug solution. This is a direct line from their page and it is true!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about CodeLite
CodeLite review by Manuel D.
Manuel D.

"Develop web applications with this light IDE"

What do you like best?

With CodeLite I write my code comfortably, since it is compatible with the most used web programming languages, I have created excellent applications in Node.Js, I like it because its interface is very simple and easy to use, I also get excellent results with its debugger and that helps me find errors easily, another advantage is that it is very light and I can install it in any operating system because it is multiplatform.

What do you dislike?

I have had problems of compatibility in the Windows operating system, since sometimes I have unexpected closures and in other computers it can not even be executed, nevertheless in linux I have not had problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good tool for web development, however, it lacks some important features.

In the development department we use this tool for the development of web applications, since this IDE helps us to work more efficiently thanks to its debugger.

What C/C++ Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

CodeLite review by Melifa G.
Melifa G.

"Good IDE, especially for Web Developer"

What do you like best?

I just trying using this software in Windows OS.

Easy to install, but I need to install a compiler to work with this and get better result in using this software.

By default it needs MinGW compiler.

CodeLite as a cross platform IDE, is specialized in C, C++, PHP and JavaScript.

This software also can be used in Linux/Ubuntu OS, Mac OS, and of course Windows OS.

For databases, this software supports SQLite, MySQL, and PostgreSQL.

I totally like the side pane, because it provides any aspect of development that I need.

Also there is SFTP pane, to make it easier to connect by terminal.

What I love is, in this IDE, there are already output pane and complete plugins available.

As example, there is Unit Test ++, and SFTP log, Git.

So can be said, basically all I need for my website development work is only this software.

CodeLite can cover a lot of task from several software that I usually used.

What do you dislike?

So far I have nothing to dislike.

Currently I'm still trying to adapt with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For website developer, I think this software is great to help our work

Before, I need to use several software to help my website development work.

But now I can only use CodeLite to cover it all.

CodeLite review by Hao-Yu Y.
Hao-Yu Y.

"Simple IDE for C++ development"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity codelite provides. It's got all the necessary features you would look for in a C++ IDE.

It's got code autocompletion and multiple language support. Being able to run the code you write in the codelite eases the development process.

What do you dislike?

Codelite does not let automatically choose the language for you. It's kind of a hassle to have to do that everytime you open up the IDE.

I use this software for C++ code development, debugging and testing. I run codelite on a Linux machine and it's easy to install and use.

CodeLite review by Marnim G.
Marnim G.

"A great cross platform IDE for software engineers"

What do you like best?

CodeLite is an open source, free, cross platform IDE specialized in C, C++, PHP and JavaScript, which runs best on all major Platforms such as Windows, MacOS or Linux.

What do you dislike?

I have not found any major issues while using it, but the documentation can certaily be improved a lot and the GUI can be better too.

I use CodeLite for sloving any implementation related tasks in C, C++ or Java. I usually work with these 3 languages and CodeLite does a great job for running all these languages.

CodeLite review by Sazzad Hossain S.
Sazzad Hossain S.

"Free open source cross platform IDE for programmers and developers"

What do you like best?

CodeLite is the widely know cross platform open source IDE for C, C++, PHP and Node.js programs development. CodeLite is widely uses for C++ and PHP coding. Mostly uses as because they are open source and cross platform based.

It has pre-installed major plugins such as Git, Sub Version, SFTP, UnitTesting, Database explorer etc. Which makes CodeLite more extendable to use.

Also their PHP and PHP debugging facilities are very much lightweight to use.

What do you dislike?

As a open source software, it has many of features that should have in paid version applications.

I did not find any major buggy features to dislike the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for open sources based IDE software for your devices, CodeLite would be the best solution for you.

CodeLite supports,

Fedora / OpenSUSE

ArchLinux

Mac OSX 10.8 and later

FreeBSD

What else you are looking for? Within the application/ software, you will get C, C++, PHP and node.js editor within 1 software. It also has wide range of plugins availability and friendly customization features.

We are development company and open source software's are best suites for our company usage.

CodeLite is one software that has Programming and Coding functionality with version control system and compile and run the codes.

It has C, C++, PHP and node.js enabled features that are multi usability and don't have to download another application for several projects. It's support multiple project facilities and debugging and identifying problems within codes. CodeLite has wxCrafter that provide rapid development of wxWidgets based applications.

CodeLite review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Lightweight and Efficient IDE with Limited Programming Language Support"

What do you like best?

Drag and drop support, easy to use interface and plugin options are best about CodeLite. Git plug-in, diff plugin, SMTP support and unit testing plugings are key features of the IDE. Also cross-platform support is one of the most important features for an IDE and CodeLite is supporting almost every operating system.

What do you dislike?

CodeLite is only supporting PHP, C, C++ and NodeJS at the moment. Limited programming language support should be improved with popular programming languages like Python, Ruby and Go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Developer teams using different operating systems might think about CodeLite since it's a cross-platform IDE. Since most of the developers prefer lightweight IDEs, CodeLite is quite "lite" and fast during development.

Integration with Git is trully a benefit since new programmers are not comfortable working with Git. Using Git with the command line is not easy and learning Git commands take lots of time for programmers. But with the help of CodeLite and its Git plugin programmers can only focus writing code other than spending time to learn Git.

CodeLite review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"API security by code lite"

What do you like best?

Distil’s ability to determine whether automated browsers are being used is a big help in making blocking decisions. Distil’s ‘block organization’ feature makes it easy to thwart known competitors and unsavory web scrapers

What do you dislike?

Quick start guides are bit complex for first time user. Quick start guides should use more pictures to clearly communicate the problem.

API security is the problem I am solving.

CodeLite review by User

"CodeLite a practical product for small businesses "

What do you like best?

CodeLite helps my small business update open-ended software products that we purchase with the goal of adding on and customizing, and helps me keep our website up to date and fresh.

What do you dislike?

The program is limited in what it can do with certain features, such as end-user coding and different languages. But for basic needs, this software is the best on the market that I have found.

My business kept our website, software, and strategic merchandising divisions running well with CodeLite.

CodeLite review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"CodeLite! Awesome and I love it."

What do you like best?

I like that are versions for Linux and Windows. I also like that it is super light weight. I can do all my C++ development in it, and don't need a heavy duty IDE. It has all the tools I need.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike, the IDE is excellent. It is one of my favorites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a light weight but complete IDE to write C++ application, CodeLite is the answer. It has everything needed to write small applications to enterprise level. It is the best IDE in my opinion.

I started off using CodeLite as an IDE for a C++ college class. Then I ended up using for home projects. I haven't used it at my work because they only allow Visual Studio .NET framework, but I have told my management about it and it is another option than VS2013.

CodeLite review by Timothy B.
Timothy B.

"Good entry-level free C++ editor"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, great for users trying to get started with C++.

What do you dislike?

Could perhaps use a few more features to make it a professional product. Perhaps some better integration with debuggers

Used it to work on open-source software, writing C++

CodeLite review by User

"Lightweight but powerful "

What do you like best?

This is easy to use, and runs well. The design is clean and nice to use and can easily be customized

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my compiler gives a strange error, and I have to restart the software. This is quite rare though

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like to use this a lot, it is clean and nice visually.

We used this to work on PHP, and it does a good job of this

CodeLite review by G2 Crowd User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
G2 Crowd User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Great editor for doing GCC C++ code"

What do you like best?

easy to use

code highlighting

auto completion

context jumping

cppcheck built in

What do you dislike?

crashes/hangs sometimes

code completion sometimes does not work

context jumping also sometimes does not work

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to learn and very similar to visual studio.

Needed a good editor for GCC based code but close enough to Visual studio

CodeLite review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"User friendly development tool"

What do you like best?

The easy to use interface and the UX design. Feels easy and quick to use.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, a bit robust colour design and black background can be developed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for personal or internal team use

Software development problem. As a secondary choice of coding environment.

CodeLite review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Intuitive IDE for web developers"

What do you like best?

Easy to install, works cross platform. Supports plugins to extend the functionality to other applications.

What do you dislike?

Better support required for the product both in terms of tech support or manuals.

Needed an open source programming editor having version control as well.

CodeLite review by User in Computer Software

"CodeLite Review"

What do you like best?

Good IDE for C and C++. Pretty easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Doesn;t work with python or java, debugging is hard.

Able to try some languages and work with them

Learning about CodeLite?

* We monitor all CodeLite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.