Collector for ArcGIS

Collector for ArcGIS puts mapping in the hands of your field workforce to improve the accuracy and currency of your spatial data and make more timely and informed decisions.

Work for Collector for ArcGIS?

Learning about Collector for ArcGIS?

Collector for ArcGIS Reviews

Showing 23 Collector for ArcGIS reviews
Collector for ArcGIS review by User

"Collector for ArcGIS"

What do you like best?

I love that it gives you the option to use the exact symbology that will be used on the final product map, much easier to know if you put in the right feature and has all the options if you are trying to mark lots of different types of features and want the same symbology without having to duplicate and hopefully remember what is what by the time you are back in the office

What do you dislike?

set up for getting the maps ready for collector can take quite a while to set up for use

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you can set it up, its a great way to collect data out in the field, and downloading/syncing the data is very easy, just sync once you have wifi and then download in the office from the internet to your computer. Much better than having to physically get the data off the workers tablet and doesn't require them being in the office, only connecting to wifi and rememebering to sync; means you are stuck at the office when people show up at 5:00 when you just want to go home, haha

data collection out in the field

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Collector for ArcGIS
Collector for ArcGIS review by Anja C.
Anja C.

"Great program, but could use some improvement"

What do you like best?

I really like how easy this program is to use and the fact that you can add pictures to GPS points.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the accuracy of the program. We could really use this kind of thing for mapping wells and septic systems for our Health Department, but it's simply not accurate enough to use for that. I also wish there was a similar program for the public to use so that it could be used for crowdsourcing type project. An example would be for the public to take GPS points of grave sites and add photos and other attributes, adding it to our existing grave map.

We are currently using Collector to map the county water system and have used it to map trails. The benefit is that it is easy for county water staff to use in the field and allows our infrastructure to be digitized quickly and easily. We have linked up the web map used for Collector to layers on our server so that data is updated automatically.

What GIS solution do you use?

Collector for ArcGIS review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Field Work "

What do you like best?

Ability to capture points lines and polygons. Ability to edit theses offline. Ability to work offline. Work with high resolution imagery to ensure we are collecting in the right locations. Works on almost all android/ios devices. Quick to install and setup.

What do you dislike?

Very basic forms

Can't customise and add dynamic fields like fulcrum

Had some issues with syncing data. We managed to find solutions to all our problems on the geonet forums.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A few learning curves when setting up if you're not using AGOL (need to setup up SDE and if you need to work offline, setup versioning and processes to reconcile and post the edits). We encountered a few issues with downloading our offline data, but managed to find fixes on Geonet for all our problems

Streamline asset assessment out in the field. Pre populating data from redline drawings. It has enabled us to collect data spatially, previously this was collected against linear referenced points in a spreadsheet

Collector for ArcGIS review by Jose Andreas M.
Jose Andreas M.

"Helping improve my own community!"

What do you like best?

It was easy to access, learn how to use, and also teach others how to use.

It is an app I now often think of when brainstorming different project ideas, since it is a very useful tool to gather information linked to a place. Being able to show customers and co-workers where things are as data is explained makes understanding and research so much easier.

The fact that the files can then be read using other programs by ESRI, such as ArcMap, allows the user to analyze the data and further edit maps with detailed information. These new maps can help in future research too.

What do you dislike?

Although only a few times, it crashed when uploading the recorded data. The uploading could be slow depending on how often one backed it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A picture is worth a thousands words.

A map, then, is equal or better than a complicated explanation.

With Collector, we are able to identify key locations or items to a coordinate map.

What is more, these documents can then be transferred to, for example, Arc Map and proceed to further analyze the collected data.

I used Collector as part of a project I conducted to help my City Hall gather information on the state of infrastructure, ADA standards compliance, and more in order to apply for grants and further research to improve our city. It was a fulfilling experience, the rewards including plans to improve our city roads and sidewalks

Collector for ArcGIS review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Used it in the field for ADA "

What do you like best?

How I was able to zoom in on the points I needed to edit or add. The borders that were shown around the project area that I was collecting data for sidewalks and curb ramps in were a big help, for this way I knew whether I was outside of my collection territory.

What do you dislike?

The topography of the greater Seattle region is something else because of all the mountains and small hills. Each time I entered an area where my cell phone signal was not good because I was in the field and I needed to input a coordinate, the ArcGIS program itself wouldn't work too well in this case. On occasion the application crashed while I was using it on my cell phone to collect data in the field, and I would have to reopen the application and wait for it to load, which caused me to not be so efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was pleased to have learned a little bit about this program while I was collecting data on sidewalks and curb ramps (primarily) in accordance with the ADA. I had seen ArcMap but I hadn't heard of this specific program within ArcGIS. I didn't go through any of the online tutorials or training files with respect to the Collector for ArcGIS, but I would recommend doing that if you may end up having a job that uses this program, even if it's only 5% or 10% of the time.

I was a field technician, so I have no way of answering this question.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Dave V.
Dave V.

"Using Collector for Geohazards Field Data aquisition"

What do you like best?

easily deployable to non-gis technical staff, like geologists and field staff

What do you dislike?

Complicated to integrate with Survey 123. Would like to see native (non-url) survey123 type forms in with a similar map interface as Collector. creating a unified product that offers power of map based collector with ease of entry from Survey 123 would be fantastic!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the ArcGIS enterprise or online stack imiplemnented, its a no-brainer.

enabling aasy high precision point and polygon data capture in the field with workflow monitoring. Realized reduced field data aquisition time and cheaper hardware expenses with BYOD for use with collector

Collector for ArcGIS review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Using this software for several years working to collect data. "

What do you like best?

Simplicity of using this software on iPad, iPhone. Transfer data immediately to the server.

What do you dislike?

If you are using in car and driving slow - there is delay in receiving data, especially if you are in "imagery" basemap mode. Actually I still have unresolved problem with Transparency of the one Layer using iPad. The company trying to fix it for about two months already, but no result yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this product to use for data collection.

Collecting data for water, wastewater, storm water, transportation, fire, police, planning departments. Then making maps for the City needs.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Administrator

"Makes recording field data easy and reliable across multiple users"

What do you like best?

The data is backed up and easy to export as a csv to use in other analyses. This limits errors from transcribing paper data sheets into a data management system. Students, volunteers, etc. will enter all of the information you request without issues and spatial location can be viewed in real time on the screen to check for "bouncing" signals, etc.

What do you dislike?

Creating the collector piece is somewhat long the first few times, and there are things that cannot be changed without completely starting over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended if you collect the same kind of information across multiple sites/samples, and/or if you have multiple people doing the same thing.

We use Collector for our soil microbiome research to collect field data for each of our soil samples.

Collector for ArcGIS review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"Collector review"

What do you like best?

Collector is the best technology. As a land steward, I am able to take college with me remotely in the job and sync it back to my colleagues.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the data required to lload the base map and the limits on the amount of data collector can load per base map per load session. Needs larger capabilities

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would absolutely recommend. Make sure to practice downloads before going out into the field to ensure proper basemap

Download and usage: that the area needed to be used is able to be fully seen

Maps. Routes of land management. Building points. Notes of where activities are occurring. Field data that can be easily transferred to administrative staff for data review and attention.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Agency in Non-Profit Organization Management
Agency in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great mobile monitoring for conservation "

What do you like best?

I use Collector for mobilee monitoring of our conservation easements. We've created a companion app that allows us to pull our data out of collector and it saves so much time!

What do you dislike?

The occasional glitches and sign outs for no reason is annoying.

It saves us so much time by allowing us to take pertinent data in the field and sync it later back in the office.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Jessica L.
Jessica L.

"Great resource with multiple uses!"

What do you like best?

The product is easy to use and is great for sending staff out in the field. Integrates well with both ArcGIS online and desktop!

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. Would always enjoy more customizing.

I use this both for work and volunteer activities. At my Land Trust we use it to collect natural resource information. I also volunteer at a fire department and we use it to collect hydrant data.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Consultant

"Great way to collect and organize field data"

What do you like best?

The ability to collect spatial information, pictures, and notes easily while in the field. The required information is straightforward to setup prior to field mobilization and easy to share after data collection.

What do you dislike?

Required a login, layers can't be changed after they have been downloaded to a mobile device otherwise there are issues bringing collected data back in. The way you have take and attach the pictures is clunky.

Water resources projects site visits and field review. The ease and organization of field data saves time. The abilty to review field data on devices and share information helps with project communication and coordination.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Richard Y.
Richard Y.

"Site license manager"

What do you like best?

I would like to have self provisioning. Seem a lot of time is spent on license management in which is very time consuming.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the new portal that was recently upgraded. seems there should have been some tutorial send along with the new look

collecting information for the university and overall grounds/ areas of improvement.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Marla J.
Marla J.

"The collector app has been a great tool to help collect data. "

What do you like best?

The best part of the collector app is the ability to see the data in real time.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I dislike is it it can only be configured and not customized.

Collecting data to analyze and report via other ArcGIS products. The benefits are it is a free download and easy to use.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Vitaliy H.
Vitaliy H.

"Combining map driven functionality of Collector with logical capabilities of Survey123"

What do you like best?

Ease of configuration to get going and use in the field for non GIS users, map driven interface, ability for offline data collection

What do you dislike?

inability to do logical branching of questions, so its dependent on user's response

site selection, field data collection, ability to make field collected data visualized in the real time

Collector for ArcGIS review by Agency in Environmental Services
Agency in Environmental Services

"Arc collector for Tribes"

What do you like best?

I like the compatibility and real time sync with Arc Online functionality. It allows a manager to better understand data. Ole toon in real time.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a little steep for technicians to set up a data Set for research questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the setup well to better implement research in the field.

We have answered many research questions about vegetation and noxious weed mapping. It has allowed a compatible tool for our vegetation research for guiding policy.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Administrator in Architecture & Planning
Administrator in Architecture & Planning

"Asset collection and inventory with Collector app"

What do you like best?

Collector is an easy to use platform with little learning curve for new users. Templates are quick and effective and can be customized to add as little or as much information as needed to complete a data logging task.

What do you dislike?

Collect does have some restrictions on who/ or how it can be used namely licensing requirements.

Our municipality needs an efficient system for gathering spatial data on assets throughout the city. Collector is an easy and effective way of collecting those data needs

Collector for ArcGIS review by User

"Great, Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, location precision, can download map to work offline

What do you dislike?

Sometimes map links to other people's in the same organization with a similar name

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product!

I will be using this to build data for a startup focusing on consumer behavior

Collector for ArcGIS review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for Fieldwork"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of it. I can do the most basic data grab, but I can also collect more complex data while in the field, with some added pre-field work in office to set it up.

What do you dislike?

You have to have a ArcOnline subscription to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with anything...Practice with it before you start collecting

Mapping wetlands (delineations for NRCS)

Mapping municipal water networks in real-time

Collector for ArcGIS review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Great for field work"

What do you like best?

It’s easy to use and gets the job done faster, when it does work.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it’s buggy, but I’m not sure if that’s the software or something with the connection because it does not always sync to our other systems.

We use it for field services, filling out forms and documented site visits when in the field. It helps navigate and show a map of the area for inspections.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Collector use in collecting various Public Works infrastructure."

What do you like best?

I like that it is extremely easy to configure, easy for non-technical folks to use, and that it is so portable.

What do you dislike?

That it does not allow snapping of features - an essential need for stormwater and other network or connected features.

Ease of use, streamlines workflows, allows staff to see and use live data in the field and office staff to see work as it progresses. Visibility.

Collector for ArcGIS review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"ArcGis Collector Application "

What do you like best?

The ability to be able to work offline and upload data any moment.

What do you dislike?

A couple of problems my colleague and I faced while trying to sync data.

Locating water meters and updating business/residential addresses.

Collector for ArcGIS review by Administrator

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

The best part is collecting semi-permanent attributes at the swipe and touch of a finger.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see some interface improvements. Seems like there are apps out there that are easier to use.

Digital as-builting.

Learning about Collector for ArcGIS?

* We monitor all Collector for ArcGIS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.